8.5

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1983 Ratings

1. AWG
    Jun 17, 2013
    This game is almost perfect. Maps are really well-done and compelling, missions are fair and graphics are well defined. I don't like new characters very much (Nick is the only good one, and I'd pay to watch him fight alongside Zoey, Francis and Bill) but the fact that Left 4 Dead 2 includes all the campaigns and levels from the first game makes it just awesome. I really can't find a flaw. 9 out of 10. Expand
  2. Jul 31, 2012
    L4D2 makes the first L4D feel like a demo. The PC version boasts 5 new campaigns and all the L4D1 maps plus a brand new map called Cold Stream included for no extra price. The game looks beautiful and it includes a ton more stuff than the first. A must buy for zombie killing fanboys
  3. ERB
    Dec 3, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2 is no doubt a great sequel upon the original Left 4 Dead 1.Left 4 Dead still looks the same as Left 4 Dead 1 but the biggest difference between these 2 is that The game play in Left 4 Dead 2 is better than that of Left 4 Dead 1 and there are new campaigns and maps in here.Especially The Dark Carnival campaign.The Carnival campaign is fun to play and this is my favorite map.There are even more zombies here added in this game.Like the Jockey.The Jockey is like Left 4 Dead 1's hunter but the difference between the Hunter and The Jockey is that the hunter can jump very high like an assassin who will get you from above and once he catches you he will trap you and keep attacking you until you die unless someone saves you and kills the hunter.The Jockey is a zombie that cannot jump high but he or she is one of the scariest disturbing zombies I have ever seen in games.The Jockey is a zombie that laughs scary and once he or she catches you he will do a horse ride on you and while he is on top of you riding you,you will be like be under his control and he can force you to go where It likes to go and while he is riding you he will be attacking you in the head until you die or get saved by a team mate.

The Spitter is also a new zombie which spits green goo at you and even if your just standing in the goo you will get intense damage and you will die if you stay under the goo for too long.The Charger is also a new zombie which looks a little like the strongest zombie in this game The Tank.Now the charger charges at you and if you got caught by him he will choke you and slam you to the ground until you die.

Those are some of the new zombies in this game.Now lets talk about the characters in this game.In Left 4 Dead 1 there is Bill,Francis,Zoey, And Louis.In Left 4 Dead 2 you will have some new characters here.The new characters are Coach,Nick,Rochelle,and Ellis.Those are the new characters in this game.

Lets talk more about the game.The game play is not the only thing good about this game but the story in this game is good as well.I can't tell the story because maybe you will now about it and you will lose interest in this game.The game is fun and enjoyable especially the multiplayer.You can either be a zombie or a survivor in this multiplayer game.Which is fun!Left 4 Dead 2 is a great sequel and it gets a 10/10 from me.A great score for this game.This game is fun and I recommend you gamers to buy this awesome game and try playing It.I promise you this game is fun and you will enjoy this game.
  4. Jan 29, 2012
    The amount of free updates you recieve on the PC is astounding. Valve quality stamp, coupled with the amount of user content available makes this game a total blast. One of the best co-op games around, if not the most replayable ;) . Go buy for 20$ on steam or in stores!
  5. May 13, 2012
    Overall one of the best games ever made, and pretty much evolved the zombie genre to a point towards even making Resident Evil run for its money when it comes down to zombie genre games. Left 4 Dead 2 will leave you with excitement and suspense which you will more than likely be talking about for a long time, along with that the fact its a Steam game and from valve, expect it to have alot of PC content exclusives such as Achievements, constant upgrades and unofficial mods. To make it better, Left 4 Dead 1 comes packed with this game as well when you purchase it! Expand
  6. Sep 5, 2011
    Years on and this is still one of the BEST co-op shooters available... ok the graphics are workmanlike, but Source is gettting way too long in the tooth to ever look top end...accept that sacrifice for everything else being super fast with tonnes of sharpened gameplay and high replay values thanks to it's huge modder community (on PC) supplying hundreds of free campaigns, how can you go wrong?
  7. Mar 25, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2 puts you in the shoes of one of four survivors Rochelle, Coach, Ellis, and Nick and makes you kill hordes and hordes and HORDES (maybe even hordes) of the undead! Why is it so fun, you ask? Because everything works. The visuals are as you'd expect them to be from a Valve game, the co-op is immersive, the levels and maps are different of multiple play throughs and the shooting feels so natural you'll actually feel like every bullet counts. Expand
  8. Sep 1, 2013
    The best co-op and zombie game ever the graphics are decent and the gameplay is great it is built for the PC as well the DLC is great bu the mods and free campaigns are so good and the Steam Workshop items really make it your own game
  9. Nov 18, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (+1)

10. May 9, 2012
    Left 4 Dead 2 is bloody, fun and really successful. Not only multipalyer is fun, even the single player is fun. It doesn't want hard specs and It's amazing. The only bad thing there is that It doesn't have checkpoint in single player. Overall, it is amazing! (9.1)
  11. Sep 9, 2010
    This is is trully amazing than L4D. There are lotta improvements ,gameplay, and a bit storylines too.... The graphics are nice too....but i think the Valve company is too rushed about this game bcoz this game release after 1 year making a L4D...... The multiplayers is great but lag can cause the people to go annoyed....like the incoming attack. Bugs and glitches are not much since the updates were released. Expand
  12. Sep 14, 2011
    New zombies, new maps and more weapons! YES! But, for some odd reason I find the game play different. I actually find the original more appealing. The graphics look better as in better looking versus more advanced graphics. The characters aren't that appealing either. It seems a bit rush and too soon. Left 4 Dead 1 just got off the ground when this was released! Shame... But the games still good.
  13. Jul 5, 2013
    this is one of the most amazing zombie games ever.gameplay is fun,multiplayer is cool,graphics are very good for an 2009 game.the blood is sick.there is nothing wrong with this game.its the perfect sequel to a game that i think is average(left 4 dead 1).buy this and you wont regret it.
  14. Dec 10, 2011
    Even though this game doesn't really add enough amount of stuff to be made a sequel, it's still very good game. The gameplay is great, versus mode is increadibly fun and unlike Xbox 360 version, this version isin't killed by horrible community. I recommend to buy this game, if you are into multiplayer games and you understand what teamwork really means in team based games.
  15. Dec 26, 2010
    An overall very good game and great co-op experience with beautiful graphics. I only gave it a 9 because the characters are not as original as in L4D1, the maps designs are not as charming (although they're better in gameplay and many other ways) and the atmosphere is more like a mass-killing zombie game than a survival one. I was also deceived as in the first one that they didn't design the menu like a movie. Expand
  16. Apr 22, 2012
    This game is a must if you love zombies, or if you played L4D, single player experience is very nice, and your team mates are always ready to help, multiplayer with a lof of people is just supreme, if you are a fan of L4D you can play the maps as they are being imported, play from VS to Co-op mode, lots of fan made mods from weapons to maps and skins, are you ready to fight for survive against the zombie plague that spread all around the country ?
    If yes get in and kill some zombies !
  17. Nov 8, 2011
    an FPS game that is brilliant! the gameplay is awsome for a fps, the guns are awsome but lack a little variety. The only reason to really buy this game is to play online, single player id give it a 6, multiplayer online is a for sure 10. The replayability in this game is great, youll notice yourself playing it after you get bored at first from time to time and casually play it here and there. great game online, well worth the buy. Expand
  18. Jul 5, 2011
    Left 4 Dead (2) Series is just amazing i just loving killing me some zombies i dunno maybe because i'm a gun nut and have my own arsenal of weapons for such occasions and just want practice. Anyway This is a great Multiplayer Platform you can team up against zombies or become a special zombie on teams against each other.
  19. Jun 26, 2013
    When you can reach 1300+ and still play a game fairly regularly you know its something special.
    L4D2 is for me the perfect multiplayer experience you NEED your team mates to survive/kill survivors which really adds emphasis to communication and playing as a team which is lacking in other multiplayer games.
    What keeps game play fresh is the different variety of game modes and even some
    community mods which are easily accessible due to the steam workshop. L4D2 is best experienced with some friends although it is advised for new players to play through the campaigns first before venturing into competitive games like versus or scavange.
    As mentioned earlier there are some great mods for this game including Helms deep a survival map straight for Lord of the Rings, there are also tweeks for the AI and reskins for characters.
    The graphics arent going to amaze you but nor will they repel you the source engine has aged well and this game shouldn't be to taxing for any operating system.

All in all get this game!
  20. Oct 1, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2 brings everything great from the first one and adds more to it. With 4 new characters (who i dislike more than the original 4), new levels, and new special infected. To add to this, they also included the 4 original maps, plus the original characters to play as. The special infected AI is a lot better in this game, and with the addition of more special infected, make the difficulty of this game higher, which is very nice. Obviously like the first one, this game should be played online, not alone, as the AI stupidity still seems to be relevant. What sends this game so far above the first, is the addition of the Steam Workshop. There are so many addons you can put into the game to have fun and so many maps you can download. This is easily the best multiplayer game I have ever played. Expand
  21. Feb 8, 2011
    When you can make a game from a idea thats been beaten to death and do it succesfully you know your good.
    This game is a blast to play and the steam achievments add that much more to it.
    The graphics are top notch so i dunno wth JayF is talking about.
    I'm running an old GTX295 and it looks awesome cranked up so maybe his card needs replaced not this game.
    Now on top of all the goodness
    add the add on campaigns free from lfd2maps.com and you get more for your dollar than you can shake a dismembered limb at. Expand
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    Eerily similar to L4D, this game does not deserve to be called a "sequel". A fraction of the updates in TF2 could have created this game from it's predecessor L4D. Regardless, it is rather enjoyable and scary. There is nothing like the feeling you get when a boomer pops out from a corner and screws up your vision. Multiplayer is a veteran's game, so you better know what you're doing before joining ( a lot of people are very rude to noobs, which is honestly the worst part of this game, so if you can get past that you're golden). I bought this on sale for $5, and would have gladly paid $20 for it. The biggest problem with the multiplayer is that gameplay ends up being one-sided. There are 2 teams, and players enjoy stacking a lot. You'll often find yourself with utter noobs or else with extreme experts, in which case the game becomes anti-competitive. You can simply quit when this happens and join a fairer game, so I would highly recommend this 9/10. Collapse
  23. Feb 8, 2014
    Well, it has a very fascinating multiplayer. You can spend hours easily and don't even notice. It has so many mods and maps and they're all great, you'll never be bored. It's really entertaining but I can't say the same thing to single player. After all, forget the single player. Multiplayer will be enough for you. My score is 9 out of 10.
  24. Dec 25, 2012
    One of my favorite games of all time, for valve it is my favorite. The game has many more and new levels, allowing you to fight your way through the horde with new items, weapons and such. The game is perfect for co-op, survival, versus and scavenge (including realism). The only real downside to this masterpiece is the fact that the AI is horrible, always takes the wrong weapons and wastes health packs. The AI also never goes into the vantage points of the boss fights, and your almost always the only one to make it out. Expand
  25. Nov 30, 2012
    A very good co-op zombie FPS. I didn't play Left for Dead 1 so when I played L4D2, I felt I no longer need to leave the house. All I need is some food to eat and play this game forever. Much teamwork is needed in harder difficulties, and I loved the fact that I cannot just shoot blindly and not caring about ammo. This make survival fun and exciting.
  26. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Resurrect Bill Vol 1

I just love the original Left 4 Dead. It’s a simple yet effective (and in my case addictive) game. So I started Left 4 Dead 2 with very high hopes. And I haven’t been disappointed. Valve have improved almost everything. We have 4 new survivors and the location has been moved to the deep south. The campaigns are considerably longer due to larger maps. More
    challenging tasks have been introduced and the zombies come thicker and faster than ever. There are several new “specials” to deal with, along with some new weapons, including melee weapons ranging from cricket bats to machetes. L4D2 looks even better than the original and there are some great in-game events: the use of weather as a hindrance to your progress in the Heavy Rain campaign is particularly inspired. It’s also a good deal more difficult than the original. So, pretty much everything about L4D2 is superior to L4D1. Except for the survivors. For me they lack the character of the original team, and although Valve have lived up to their deserved reputation for the quality of the dialogue I just don’t find them as engaging as the original 4. The chat between the survivors in L4D1 is full of great one-liners which helped build the bond with the player, even though you know they’re just bots. Obviously this hardly matters when playing with other people but I wish, nonetheless, that the original characters had been carried over from L4D1. Still, L4D2 is a great game. Play it. Now! Expand
  27. Jan 3, 2012
    As much as I miss the characters of the first one, and am loyal to the original's originality and simplicity, I must give the sequel a higher rating if only for the upkeep of free updates and constant addition to the already varied dynamic. While this one feels less like you're running for your life to a fate uncertain through the decaying ruins of the recent and progressing apocalypse, it's got more dakka and gorn. Plus that much more story to go along with the grim path humanity took in late 2009. For more information, see my review of L4D and just throw in the fact that there are more guns, more special zombies, more game play modes, even more game modes, a crossover campaign with the original survivors that's explained in "The Sacrifice" web comic, the original campaigns (with all the second's goodies), and just more Valve. Game on, comrades. But I do suggest you buy the first as well, if just to ease into the second's complexity, while being able to see your legs. Expand
  28. Sep 30, 2011
    I'm coming up to playing 300 hours on this game. This game would have to be my favorite game. The only bad thing I can say about this game isn't actually about the game itself but the ****heads who play it online. Other than that I love this game and play it almost daily.
  29. Jun 24, 2013
    It is a perfect game for just to have fun. With it's almost no storyline and only a lot of guns, against a lot of zombies with 4 of your friends makes this game a must play.
  30. Dec 30, 2010
    Great game and I think this game is better then the first one, I love new infected as well as new weapons and new survivors! I would suggest this to anyone looking to have a fun and easy time playing a game!
  31. Apr 27, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2 is as good as a sequel can get. It advances every aspect of its prequel. The combat is smoother, the AI is better and each new campaign finale delivers incredibly chaotic and fun gameplay. Left 4 Dead 2 introduces new special infected, such as the “Spitter”, which offers new challenging gameplay moments. The regular infected zombies have better animations and the special infected from the prequel are modified with different appearances and behaviors. There's many new cool weapons introduced in Left 4 Dead 2, including grenade launchers and melee weapons. If you liked the first one, then this is a no-brainer. Expand
  32. Nov 25, 2012
    Ive put way too many hours into this game to give it anything less than a 10. As far as value goes for a game l4d2 has been the best game purchase Ive ever made. From a gameplay perspective, either have friends to play this with or make some because you dont want to go into this one alone which isnt to say you cant make friends in the game but a majority of the community can be pretty bad. It gets a 10 because it did exactly waht it set out to do and that, create a terrific coop/competitive zombie survival game. Expand
  33. Feb 26, 2014
    I gave this a 9...because of the online and mutliplayer...which are close to 10s imo.

The solo campaign is an eight. Still fun but does not shine the same.

There is nothing bad to say about the multiplayer. It is fast, fun, crazy and just as good as Left for Dead 1.
    For me, L4D 1 and 2 are the genre definer in FPS / Zombie / Survival.
  34. Nov 7, 2010
    I never played the original L4D and I must confess having now played quite a bit of L4D2 I dont know why ? Left 4 Dead 2 is an excellent game, zombies + loads of weapons + insane ammounts of gore + multiplayer online chaos = LOADS OF FUN !

Buy it, you will not be dissapointed (unless you get the censored version which will dissapoint for obvious reasons).
  35. Mar 26, 2012
    Very addicting game, maybe the best co-op game i've ever played. It comes with the campaigns of the original Left 4 Dead so you don't have to buy the first game plus it comes with a bunch of new ones. Definitely recommend this to anyone.
    Ps: Playing as the Spitter in versus and scavenge is the best :)
  36. Jul 20, 2013
    While this game seems to be more of a glorified D.L.C., it earns its spot as one the of the greatest sequels of all time. Like its predecessor, Left 4 Dead 2 FORCES you to work TOGETHER. The graphics are very good for the dated Source Engine. The weapons have a good feel, and the realistic damage to the infected will make feel squeamish quite a lot. A very fun game from beginning to end. (Extra merits for easy modding as well.) Expand
  37. May 3, 2013
    Being a sequel and a game made by Valve, the game already has the potential. Left 4 Dead 2 is a sequel to the 2008 original, and is basically a survival game. A team of 4 survivors must fight for their survival in a town full of zombies. As a story there isn't something like never seen before, but doesn't really need a lot, after an infection, the remaining survivors must fight their way out of the city to a place with no zombies.

The gameplay is just awesome and fun. You can play as any one the 4 available characters and then you must only kill zombies, what else you can want from such a game?

It's linear so you won't miss many parts of the levels, but the AI is very well made, and every time you play the zombies are in a different place, same with the weapons, which despite you find in the same place, they're different. This dramatically increases the replay value, knowing that each time you play you'll have a surprise.

The zombies also have special classes, presented as Special Infected, and named like Jockeys, Hunters, Witches, Tanks, Chargers, Spitters and others, each one having it's own abilities.

The weapons are the most common ones, M16, AK47, USP, Glock, spas-12 shotgun, others shotgun, but there are also interesting ones, such as the Desert Eagle, Hunting Rifle, another Assault Rifle, and even molotov and pipe bombs, and if is not enough, you can use even gas cans and other explosive props as weapons, and even build explosives.

The weapons however can only be customized with lasers which really increase your accuracy, but is not a big problem as the game is set in a sort of apocalyptic world, and well, you don't have a lot of time to customize the guns.

The game doesn't offer regenerating health, but it can be however restored, by using first aid kits, pain pills, and adrenaline. Anyway, only first aid kits offer permanent health, others only a temporary boost.

The graphics are realistic, with nice shadowing effects, detailed textures, and a good realism level.

The soundtrack is as well dynamic and is played only in needed and exciting parts, which like with the zombie's AI director, the song's location varies every time you play.

The game also has a multiplayer mod, presented as a Versus Mode, where you can play as either a zombie or a survivor, a horde mode, and a coop mod.

As about flaws, well, there is a sort of a glitch sometimes when some special-infected zombies(not a certain race) can be encountered a ridiculous amount of times during the same level, however this glitch doesn't occur many times, it's a sort of a rare glitch, so it's not a big problem.

So, final verdict, Left 4 Dead 2 is a great game with a huge replay value, and is another must-own.
  38. Nov 24, 2013
    Best co-op game I have played ever. The best part for co-op is that you don't need to be good at it to play. Cause even the strongest player will need your help at times.
  39. Sep 28, 2011
    This is a superb co-op game still being played now almost 3 years after its release. Its a game where you only get out of it what you put into it. Players are expected to help each other, in an environment where anyone can just into your game and leave as easily you have to be expecting the odd pain. The variation in the kind of teams you can find yourself fighting with adds a lot to this games re-playability.
    The game has been consistently supported with patching, new official maps, new play modes. There are tonnes of servers still providing loads of free online multiplay. On top of that you get a game which all other co-op zombie shooters are compared against as it still is the best one one the market hands down. The game has co-op campaign, versus, survival (with leaderboard), single-play and scavenge modes. You will make new friends playing this game, and there are some very good people playing this game now-a-days with many of the turkeys having gotten bored of cheating and pk'ing.
  40. Dec 30, 2013
    For a newbie to PC FPS games, I gotta say, Left 4 Dead 2 is definitely one of the most fun games I have played for the first time. It has great characters, marvelous imagery, incredibly detailed effects, and even more fun than chopping a zombie's head off. Or not.
  41. Nov 29, 2013
    One of the best cooperative games I have ever played.This title is one of the best Valve games it has good graphics,good optimization and a lot of updates,campaigns and modes also it has workshop.You should definitely try it!
  42. Dec 2, 2012
    Yes, it's a decent sequel with big amount of changes over it's predecessor, which can't be simply packed in a DLC. This game is about teamplay and replayability - i'm playing it with my friends with VoIP and i played more than 400 hours in total and not yet bore with. One of the best co-op, PvP and overall games in my life.
  43. Nov 10, 2012
    Chill out you lot who knock this game,it's a scream and great fun.I love the carnival with the rollercoaster its a ride and a half what a great time when you want a bit of a blowout.
  44. Aug 19, 2013
    Ever wondered its time to join the 'zombpocalypse'? Left 4 Dead 2 is the best place for you. Four survivors with an arsenal of weapon ranging from chainsaw to M60 and lots and lots of Infected trying to hunt you down.

L4D2 picks up where the first game left off, only with new survivors to hunt and be hunted. The short story of the game is spread through 5 chapters (although it was
    expanded with DLC campaigns). It is not overtly complicated and deep, but it can be suspected for a game of this nature and fairly this is not the most important part of this game. On normal settings the campaign can be completed around 4 hours or so, if you have access to the DLC campaigns it will extend the fun to 6-7 hours. Amping up the difficulty will increase the challenge and frustration originating from the retries you have to take to complete the chapters. While the story is not the richest out there, the game features some amazing voice over and writing. The characters are funny, witty and believable in the world of the game of course.

When you (if you at all) breeze through the campaign with bots this is when the real fun begins. Online multiplayer is its name. Simply, this game is meant to be played with other humans. First of all, the AI is not horrible, bud it is bad enough that you will be constantly ripping out your hair while playing the game SP (especially on harder difficulties) Not to mention the Infected AI is much better. Second, the shooting is at its best when you are surrounded with real humans trying to help you survive or chasing you as Infected. Yes, there are game modes (Versus, Scavange, etc.) where you can show your skills as a Spitter, Charger or any type of Special Infected.

The challenges will just never end with this game. You can play different MP modes like Versus or the newly introduced Scavange (collecting cans and filling up the generator while the Infected are trying to stop you). Or if you want you can just play the campaigns again with human help. If you are tired you can jump on community servers or try the endless number of easy-to-use mods created for the game by the community.

Here we are again. Valve have proved again that they are indeed the masters of Multiplayer Madness. After hits like Counter Strike, Team Fortress we have the upcoming wave of games like the L4D2 series and DotA 2. While the SP mode is not much engaging and falls short of expectations and you may not care about the characters in the end, if you ever want to just jump in and oppose the endless hordes of zombies while having super fun, this is the ultimate and most definite place to start.

Rating: 85/100; Replay Value: 5/5; To Beat: 6 hours (SP with the campaign DLCs); Played on: normal.
  45. Oct 6, 2010
    An amazing sequel. While many were worried that the quality of the game since there was such a short time period between this and the original game but I can safely say that Left 4 Dead 2 is amazing! The game is quite unmatched by any other zombie themed game. The addition of mellee weapons and new guns really added to the experience. With "Uncommon Infected" and new Special Infected added, the campaigns could never be more fun. The enw characters are colorful, interesting, and funny yet still insanely realistic. This game is gleaming with Valve's polish and it shows, it really does. Expand
  46. Oct 8, 2012
    just like the first game it was a huge sucsess and an enjoable game, story was actually interesting , and made me connect to the characters, the graphics were pretty good as well, and new weapons and the option for melee made killing zombies a whole new level of fun, and even the small jokes every now and than are great! people thought it might be a bad idea to make another l4d but they were wrong, ohh they were so wrong! Expand
  47. Apr 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Left 4 Dead and left 4 Dead 2 are no doubt an incredible gaming experience, it has limited creativity-on the game I mean. Though, it offers a chance to play as one of the unique Special Infected, actual teammates' cooperation, several unique maps and gaming experiences, and a good dialogue, Valve has to push themselves from the limit and think of new ideas. What I have heard, Valve is coming up with Left 4 Dead 3 where a memorable survivor from the original Left 4 Dead returns. All i am saying is that if you guys can improve the game experience, but at the same time offer the great entertaining fun of charging Ellis out of the building-or even better. Expand
  48. Aug 24, 2010
    All I can say, is that this game is a **** awesome sequel to Left 4 Dead, ticked all my boxes, nothing negative comes to mind. Awesome! The gameplay is awesome in multiplayer, had tones of fun, the new infected are fun to kill and are fun to play as! Very very verry good game :D
  49. Dec 11, 2010
    Valve may have released the sequel too soon, but their promise is still kept, they continue to support both versions of the game, Left 4 Dead 2 carries the same feeling Left 4 Dead 1 brought but with a twist, new weapons, items, maps, and zombies to come across. some engine enhancements. All I'm going to say is, this is worth it! you will have some good times playing with friends, and the new AI Director 2.0 just seals the deal. Expand
  50. Apr 15, 2011
    I have 236 hours on it. The base maps alone are tons of fun but the modding community adds even more to it. And thanks to the modding community some servers have 8 on 8 versus which is effectively D-day. It's just awesome. This is not just an expansion pack. It's not just DLC this is a full game.
  51. Sep 8, 2011
    I've played more hours of this game than any other - 800 at the moment. It's a truly great game, the only negative is the online community can be very annoying and love to cry "NOOOB!"
  52. Aug 9, 2011
    The great part about Valve is that they patch the game, add new content based on player's interests and no longer allow it to go stale. I have at least 600 hours into the game and have learned specific tactics for taking out the special infected while most people run aimlessly out to their death. It's a team-based game where if you stay together, the chances of survival are high. Cool binds to use such as taunt, yes, no, take the lead, stick that up your a$$, etc. make for some interesting jokes even if everyone is already on voice chat. What you're really doing is making a movie and if you're one of the 4 star actors you're able to take a break and watch. I love how the game seamlessly as well as instantly adds new players or replaces them with bots without some lengthy game re-load or re-sync making everyone wait. It was remarked that the grenade launcher sitting out in the open for anyone to grab and descimate the game solo was making the game too easy and allowing people to leave the rest 4 dead, so Valve moved them to more hidden areas so players had to search for the big guns. I hope it's evolution continues. Expand
  53. May 23, 2013
    "Left 4 Dead 2" is one of the most fun Co-Op games out there. The story is quite good for a sequel that does not follow directly follow from its predecessor. The levels are well made for a zombie game, unlike many that we have all played before. The simple tasks within the levels are mainly hold the fort type and scavenging parts never get old and are always fun and rewarding. Me and my friends can never leave this game with its outstanding replay-ability. The game has some nice multiplayer game modes like “Versus”. Where you play through the Co-Op levels as you would normally except all the special zombies are human controlled (it gets very fun with friends). This game has Steam Workshop support if in the rare case you get bored of the default ones. Did I also say this game comes with redone levels from the first "Left 4 Dead"? Did I also say you should buy this game? Did I also say that it's made by Valve? Expand
  54. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is a great sequel to Left 4 Dead. It is much better though, due to improved AI and level dynamics (levels can play differently every playthrough). After you have completed the game, and start all over again, it will be boring, but the dynamics of this game adds extra replay value. It's best played online with friends, but offline, the NPC Players are quite bad.
  55. Mar 19, 2012
    This is a First Person Shooter COOP based game. There are several modes on this game, i have play more than 50 hours in online campaign and it is an excellent mode. In this mode, you and 3 other players will fight you way through several big locations in cities and forests and will be attacked by hordes and hordes of zombies (different kind of zombies). Several weapons are available, like AK-47 and shotguns, bats and guitars for melee attacks are also important. One campaign can take you more than one hour and a half, and there are more than 10 in the game; also, tons of community content is available and the quality of some of these content is amazing. For achievement hunters, the Steam version have Steam achievements. Also, if are planing to get these game but you are not decided to get it on PC or Xbox, i have to said that the Xbox version is great, but if you have a PC then get the PC version is prettier, faster and with more detailed effects.

Thanks.
  56. Jan 21, 2014
    As someone who has never owned the original L4D, this game was amazing. Fantastically balanced levels and a strong emphasis on teamwork. And if you (like me) never bought the original, all those maps are now in the game.
    One downside is that the Australian and German versions were censored ( D: ), the other downside is that the graphics kinda suck ( 2006 standard), but it was obvious that
    they were too busy polishing everything to a blinding shine. Expand
  57. Dec 29, 2011
    Left 4 Dead 2 is an improvement on it's predecessor in every possible way. Better overall play, added hand to hand variety, better performance, less bugs, hours of playing Co-op, Solo, Versus and of course, now a more versatile Battle "Special Zombie Players vs Survival Players" match. Totally worths it.
  58. Dec 31, 2012
    Amazing! L4D2 is simply a lot of fun to play. So if one loves FPS, zombies, and online gameplay, one will simply adore this game. That said this is not a game to be taken too seriously. Just set back, relax, kill hordes of zombies and have lots fun doing so.
  59. Feb 13, 2014
    This is very good game. It has a lot of mods wich makes it even better. If you play it with your friends you need a lot of time to get bored of it but in about a month you come back to play and it gets cool again and you just can't stop playing it. Game sometimes (very rare times) lags or it just crahes but that's not a problem. You did great work Valve.
  60. Oct 11, 2010
    Do not underestimate versus fun you can get from this game. Do not try to play single player. Get out there, find a lobby and aid other survivors against endless horde of zombies. Once you get the point, you can't let it go. Absolutely wonderful on many levels.
  61. Apr 21, 2011
    It's not as spooky or atmospheric or creative as the first game, but the gameplay is improved, the graphics are improved, and the versus mode is not only playable, but is also the most fun I've had in a multiplayer zombie game since the craziest nights of Zombie Master.
  62. May 21, 2012
    L4D2 was the first L4D I've played and I like it very much. I give out 10 of 10 points because the game does what a game should to do: Fun.
    I play the whole time VS and sure, sometimes you've got problems with flamers and griefers, but sometimes you've got also good teams and a lot of fun. One of the best MP-FPS I've played.
  63. Jul 13, 2012
    Positive: Graphics are good. Its fun to play with friends and its really team focused game. There are tons of custom maps on the Internet. Negative: Lack of steam workshop.
  64. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is freaking amazing. Having not played the first game, I feel I missed out on something but I'll probably pick it up one of these days. As for L4D2, I picked it up on a Steam Summer Sale a few years back and it's become one of my most played Steam titles and one of my favorite games ever, and that's saying a lot since I've played a LOT of games in my life. The best part is, if you don't like something about the game, you can probably improve it or at least add to it with the Steam Workshop, including mods that make your CPU allies more useful, and entire new campaigns to run through with friends. I'd have given this game a lower score if I were to account for the awful, rude, and constantly-griefing PvP community. It's League of Legends bad. If you find decent people to play with, however, or you just like going solo, this is the best zombie shooter ever made. Expand
  65. Sep 9, 2012
    Very nice game, valve done it again, had so much fun with this one, im hooked on it atm, the gameplay is the same....Extremely awesome. not much to be said really. good job.
  66. Aug 23, 2010
    Left 4 Dead 2 is a great game that is probably the best FPS that i've played in a long time. I recoend this game to everybody. Its pure Great. This game has new levels, zombies, weapons, and chracters. anybody who likes First person shooters should get this game.
  67. Dec 19, 2010
    Milujete zombie? Radi je strilite a sekate na kousky? Chcete to delat spolecne s Vasimi prateli? Potom je to jasna koupe. Pokud nemate moznost sitového hrani je zde i singleplayer, ktery Vam ale nenabidne takove zazitky, protoze vasi partaci jsou rizení umelou inteligenci, ktera je sice na dobre urovni, ale zivy hrac je zivy hrac.
  68. Sep 6, 2011
    Woah woah woah... time out. All these people complain about L4D2 being the same thing as L4D, but that simply isn't true! At its core, yes, L4D2 is the same but so is every game on the market. Halo is still a shooter, Command and Conquer is still a strategy game, Starcraft is still epic, Episode 3 still isn't released, and Left 4 Dead is still a co-op zombie survival game. Just because Valve didn't go for L4D2: Cooking Mama as their sequel doesn't mean they're ripping us off. This game easily has enough new content to teach Infinity Ward and Treyarch a thing or two.

Valve obviously worked hard to make the original experience much more fun in every aspect and they definitely delivered. The only thing that I would have docked a point for is not having enough maps, but free DLC took care of that. Besides, I had to do something to even out all the people trying to say the game hadn't changed. I wouldn't be surprised if half of them don't even own the game.
  69. Sep 8, 2012
    it's a awesome game. it's pretty hard to get tired on it becouse it is much kind of games you can play as mutations, realism mode, story mode, and more.. and it's great that they have fixed so you can play all the maps and the peoples from left 4 dead 1 in this too.
  70. Oct 28, 2010
    I was a very big fan of L4D, and was excited for L4D2 to come out. It kinda sucks that they released it only a year after the original, but it has enough content to make it worth it. The new stuff keeps things pretty interesting. With the price now hovering around $19.99 (its on a Halloween sale for $9.99) its a great buy!
  71. Ed1
    Dec 12, 2010
    Its clear that the developers really paid attention to this game. The game play is perfect and the graphics are very good. The additions of weapon types, extra special infected and melee weapons makes this a fine sequel to part 1.
  72. Sep 9, 2011
    Its a fun but repetitive game. But it hasn't aged well. Its starting to look rough around the edges. If you can fool yourself to thinking it looks good you probably can get several hundred of hours of addicted playing out of this, else it will feel more like a repetitive slog because the environments look very bland. This looks like a game that worried too much about hardware budgets , or was developed on a tight budget itself. Not much is textured properly and there is too many details missing from the scenes. For example, their idea of a store is a room with an empty shelve and a block looking cabinet with a register on it, and no other details you'd see in a store. The good side, being a MP game, its still alive currently and finding a game is not too hard. The game also appears to be still be supported regularly by the creator Valve with recently now the l4d campaigns being added into the game. Expand
  73. May 7, 2012
    A great game.The graphics are nice, the campaigns awesome and the new infected are really nice to play with in versus mode! The game modes are interesting and challenging, requires intelligence to play as Infected to hit-and-run.The price isn't very high (13.99 euro here) and it is totally worth it!
  74. May 15, 2012
    This is the BEST GAME I EVER PLAYED. Soon i will have 3000 hours on this game, playing it since the Beta in 2008. Addictive, Fun, Competitive, Fast, Perfect. The MUST-HAVE Competitive FPS !
  75. Jun 20, 2013
    In reality, the game as it is now as of June 2013, is much better than it was as release, and is almost an entirely different beast. Steam Workshop support, the entirety of the first game's campaigns released as FREE DLC on the PC, nearly unlimited room for customization, a limitless pile of new campaigns to be played, new weapons, characters, skins, survival maps, even visual effects all are available......and entirely optional. The game is better balanced now than it was on release of either L4D1 or 2.

In short, Left 4 Dead 1 is awesome, Left 4 Dead 2 has a LOT more options and features for fans of the original. The argument that the first game was somehow better than the second is now baseless. For a $60 price tag, this game would still be a LOT of bang for your buck, but the game is normally priced at a measly $20, and frequently drops down to $5. Not much room for complaining here.
  76. May 31, 2013
    Left for Dead 2 is undoubtedly the best zombie game I have ever played. The game honestly is a complete blast--- I could go on about it, but I will simply say this: get the game. And if you already have it, go buy another and give it to one of your friends.
  77. Aug 20, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2, this game is just awesome, you can even make a model and put it into game and play it with that add-on, just awesome. I really enjoy this game!
  78. Nov 30, 2010
    People say that this is a poor attempt at sequel but I have to disagree. Its done very nicely and the online mode runs very smoothly. The AI is very intelligent and honestly smarter than most players online. The difficulty levels are true to there name and are actually hard.
  79. Mar 8, 2011
    Decent game, although they didn't change that much from the original L4D i still enjoyed it. The promised revamped AI director wasn't as amazing. The voice acting(especially rochelle) hasn't been as good. The new alarm events, new infected, and new gamemode (including mutation) are pretty creative and fun though. Although campaign can get too easy and boring over time, i feel the strength of this game lies in its multiplayer. It is immensely fun to play with friends, whether you are dominating in pubs or are playing against challenging opponents. There are learning curves and strategies to play both the infected and survivor, and valve designed it so it is easy to pick up for beginners, while maintaining a high skill ceiling for advance players to hone their tricks. Once again Valve never disappoints. Expand
  80. Apr 25, 2013
    Hectic, chaotic fun and memorable characters. Plenty of game modes and fun mods to enjoy. If you've never played the original it's fine because the original missions are put in the game for free with improved graphics and gameplay. A must have for zombie fans.
  81. Aug 15, 2013
    One of my personal favorite games every.

Left 4 Dead 2 takes the Left 4 Dead series to a whole new level. While the story can be a bit hard to figure out if you don't play it as much as the others, you still can get the full jest of the game. The characters and zombies are unforgettable and put a smile on your face as you blast through waves of zombies and special's with a group of
    friends as you listen to those zingy one liners they characters love to through out.

As much as I love this game, it does have its flaws. Left 4 Dead 2 can be a real pain if you're playing with bots. They said they upped the A.I upon coming out but that's debatable. The bots tend to get abit lower than stupid and can be a real hassle to try and keep alive. Most of the time its best to just shoot them dead and move on.

While the main story campaigns are nice, its nicer when you have all the custom community created campaigns to play as well. While Valve has tried getting some over to the consoles, it's best you own the PC version if you want to experience this game to the fullest when it comes to mods. After all, this is a Valve game and it was made to be very mod-able for PC. Valve is a PC company, after all.

All in all, its an amazing game to play with a group of friends if you're bored and just want to have fun. If you're very competitive, you can also play the Versus mode which pits a team of humans against a team of player controlled zombies. Very fun, good game to have a good time in. If you don't own it on PC, steam usually puts it on sale for 5 bucks every few weeks.
  82. Feb 24, 2014
    This game is awesome. So Very Cleverly Designed off the HL2 engine. It has one hell of a Co Op with some very talented artificial intelligence, where if you don't like online, or just want to play with one friend. You can kick some Major Butt. If you go online expect some noobishness. But if you find a good crew, work together, talk on the Mic, you can get through these challenges. Some are outright insane with the Amount of Zombies to Kill. So much fun. Now lets go kill some zombies. remember rule number 1. Cardio. and of course. always, double tap. Expand
  83. Mar 13, 2011
    This game is fantastic. One of my top five of all time... co-op is fun and engaging if you get a good team together, and the mod community is top notch.
  84. Dec 27, 2010
    Simply one of the best and most original games I have played in years and years. Hands down. And I'm a tough reviewer. If you have any doubt, try it. You won't regret it.

Redefines co-op gameplay and has enough play options to keep you entertained for months.
  85. Jan 30, 2011
    I always have a good time on this game with my buddies, both in this and in Left 4 Dead. With custom content you'll never get bored. You can also make your own maps and skins for it if you take the time to learn. Great game, but make sure you have some friends to enjoy it with, and some free time to get good at the game!
  86. Feb 16, 2011
    This is one of those games that can eat 800+ hours of your life away and keep you coming back for more. For that one fact alone I give it a 10. My money was well spent. There are many modes to keep it fresh and enjoyable. Cooperation within a team is a must. The replay factor and fun factor are simply through the roof. L4D and L4D2 are both worth the investment.
  87. Mar 17, 2011
    An absolutely amazing game I enjoyed playing for many hours already and the constant Mutation changes and custom maps always add a new replay value to it. If you don't have it you should definitely get it, the 4 player Co-Op campaign is simply amazing (although there are a lot of e.g. 16 players co-op servers for extra fun) and survival too. I believe I will play it a lot soon cause of the upcoming Cold Stream DLC including a new awesome map and the rest of the L4D1 campaign. Expand
  88. Dec 11, 2011
    Left 4 Dead 2 is an enjoyable game to play. Like most games these days the game shines more in the multiplayer aspect and the numerous mods and addons that one can acquire through various means. These addons and multiplayer flavors are where the fun is. The single player is tolerable and is fun to play when bored but the AI really is sub par (the other survivors have god-like accuracy but are dumb as a rock in relation to self preservation, i feel as if i am babysitting them in most situations). But if you are playing L4D:2 you need to be playing it with other people as the additional survivors or as the special infected. In summation the game as a whole is worth playing and is highly replayable, but if you are more of a loner and play singleplayer exclusively then you may want to overlook this title and perhaps pick up another zombie shooter that caters to the storyline and solo play. Expand
  89. Apr 19, 2013
    As I hit 500 hours played in Left 4 Dead 2 I figure it's a good time to share my opinion with anyone who is considering picking this game up during one of the Steam sales. Just try it!

Even if all you do is run through the campaigns with bots or random online players I'm sure you'll get your money's worth. The real excitement comes in the team competitive modes such as Versus, Scavenge
    or when you have the experience, Realism Versus.

Sometimes it's a little tough to get a balanced match going with teammates that have a clue but it is always worth it in the end. Love the environments like Dead Center, Dark Carnival (zombies on a rollercoaster track? yes please) and No Mercy. I can only describe playing as the special infected as engrossing and totally addictive--I've literally fallen out of my chair when I play as the Charger and miss the survivors with my charge, slamming my big dumb hillbilly zombie into a concrete wall.
  90. Oct 29, 2013
    Left 4 Dead 2 is probably the best co-op experience you can find. It throws you into the zombie apocalypse, where you have to work with others to survive. Gameplay wise, it is challenging as the many special infected ambush you from all sides, and the annoying common infected just keep coming. Weapons and ammo stacks are scattered for you to find. Gameplay might be slightly repetitive but it doesn't harm that much overall when you play with friends.

Looking at story, you would think that zombie games don't need story to be great. In this case, it is somewhat true. The story is tiny, saying that New Orleans is a safe zone, and the survivors head there. At the same time, you learn more about the people you are playing as and with. The game is also not short on humour with some weird stories of Ellis' friend Keith to the alerts and jokes made by the survivors.

There are many things that are improved upon from Left 4 Dead, improving the AI, adding fresh new zombies to battle and using several techniques to control your weapon choice, and of course melee weapons are added. After that, Valve does an excellent move by taking all the campaigns and characters from the original, add the new mechanics and improvements and put it into one game as a free DLC. A smart and clever move by Valve.

Not forgetting replayability, where the game gets a bit boring after completing all campaigns. However, hopping into the game with friends is always fun and fresh, and you can choose to cooperate or leave each other for dead.

But all this cannot be as great without the giant modding community. The modding community adds many things including humour through character skins, new campaigns to keep you in the game, and small modifications to minor things. With the SDK, many types of weird mods can be created, including mods to change the special infected appearance, alter the music, weapon skins, right down to animations. All this keeps the game fresh and easy to get back to. And it is made easier with the Steam Workshop.

Often updated with new features like mutations, Valve allows you to return to the game with ease. All this plus intense zombie action gives you the grand co-op experience. Play with a friend or alone, it doesn't matter as both will prove fun and satisfying. Grab Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam or try it out during a free weekend.
  91. May 21, 2011
    This is one of the best game ever. Plenty of fun with friends and a very enjoyable versus mode. The coop system is the best ever seen in the games history. The animations are incredibly fluid, some of the best I've seen so far in a game. The dialogues are great, the characters say a lot of different things and are never annoying or ripetitive. Definitely a masterpiece!
  92. Apr 22, 2013
    The reason for rewarding Left 4 dead 2 a pure 10, is simple. There is no competitor out there to what this game delivers and what it delivers is great. Even 4 years after it came out, it is still the absolute most fun co-op game out there, with up to 4 people. Even greater is the versus mode, where 2 teams of 4 take turn playing the special effected. It's easy to get into, so great for newcomers and hard to master. Expand
  93. Jan 7, 2013
    This is a great game,all the melee weapons are very functional and fun to use,new better maps,only bad thing about this game are newbies that can sometimes completely ruin the game for you.
  94. Mar 9, 2013
    This game is great, simple with very few elements of tactics but crucial to winning if your not familiar with the game. Graphics are good enough, but not awe inspiring. Servers are pretty good, support sucks but hey, very few people have GOOD support. The community is the one thing that really lets down L4D2, on vs people will kick you out of the server rather than help teach you anything. Co-op has a much better attitude to it. The skill level is awesome, you can find an easy survivable campaign if your new, If you have some trusted friends that know what there doing, you can start going for the really hard settings and get your ass whupped. Expand
  95. Apr 30, 2013
    This is one of the best zombie games i have ever played, the engine is amazing, the gameplay is engaging and the overall variety of this game gives it an amazing replay value. This replay value has been boosted by valve releasing addon content through steam. The game is well worth the money now.
  96. Jul 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Welcome to your South eastern part of America filled with zombies, Left 4 Dead 2 is filled with many experiences, starting in the region of Savannah, Georgia to the end of New Orleans, Louisiana. The characters itself is amazing, four character with terrific characteristics, Ellis, a redneck that has a very big crush on Zoey a character from the first game, Coach, a wise man, known for his cheeseburgers, Rochelle, a normal girl that is apart of News 10, and works as a producer, and Nick, your average guy that mocks every word you say, and as well for the Left 4 Dead characters there is Zoey, a teenage girl, working in college, she watchs MANY horror/zombie movies, meaning she is all ready for the zombie apocalypse, Bill, a elder of the whole group, like Coach, he is always watching for whats going to happen, Louis, a pill addict, or in a serious way, a business manager, very optimistic and positive, and Francis, a though man, but with a negative attitude with the whole team. The other thing is the game's plot, amazing traveling in the North east, and as I said before, the South east, I'd say, use your $20 on this game, I SWEAR, you will not regret it. Expand
  97. Apr 15, 2014
    This game on PC is where you can get the most for your money, steam workshop and mod support increase the games experience by miles. The game is very fun and yet encourages good team work overall. the enemas are well spread out through out the game, rather than 7 tanks coming at you at once.
  98. Oct 9, 2013
    Amazing game, great community and many modifications that can completely change your game style from a new skin to a completely new campaign. This game is great to play with a friend because well your teaming up to kill zombies! Cooperation is a huge thing in this game you run off to far ahead you die you don't talk to your teammates about strategies you die, you don't share supplies with your teammates they die which means you have a better chance of being killed in the long run every second counts in the game and I think its a perfect combination of a horror/survival game to a cooperation game Expand
  99. Aug 18, 2010
    Incredibly fun multi-player. Unfortunately, playing solo is not very fun. As for being the sequel to Left 4 Dead, it does not feel like valve changed much. It's nice to have more range on the weapons, and adding melee was a fantastic idea. If you've already played the original Left 4 Dead, I give it a 6. If you haven't, 10. Left 4 Dead 2 makes the original Left 4 Dead look like a beta, unfortunately, with this feeling comes the feeling like Left 4 Dead 2 really could have used much more time to add more content. If you have already played Left 4 Dead then don't expect much difference, just a few new weapons for each class (Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Hunting Rifle) and melee weapons (the highlight of this sequel) and two new special infected, the jockey and spitter. If you are looking for a great online multi-player game and have not bought the original, then get this. It is an amazing game if you want multi-player. If you already have the original Left 4 Dead, I'd say buy something else, unless you really really really want an upgraded version of the first game. I, on the other hand, had an excuse to buy the second. I have the original for the 360. I finally got a computer more than capable of playing recent/new games so I got it for the PC, also I'm going to college and I don't want to bring my 360 along/it wouldn't fit.

TL;DR If you have played Left 4 Dead: 6
    If not: 10
    Overall: 9

Felt like less like a sequel and more like a big patch update to the original Left 4 Dead. An amazing game if you haven't. Also, don't expect much story, mostly just tons and tons of multi-player fun.
  100. Oct 17, 2010
    People, you can't downgrade a game meant to be coop because the Single Player is lousy. It's also not clear if you should be rating L4D2 relative to L4D, since that rating wouldn't matter to someone who doesn't have either. Rate L4D2 on its own merits, for how it's meant to be played, and if you do that, the game is practically flawless.
  101. Jan 15, 2013

L4D2 delivers multiple improvements over its predecessor, and I get to keep all my fingers and toes.
    It remains one of the most distinctive co-operative titles out there, and allows for some of the most nerve-searing team-based multiplayer gaming on the market.
  3. Whereas once we treated Left 4 Dead as a stopgap between Half-Lifes, this is no longer a weird little side project with modest expectations, and Valve is confident enough to play around with it, safe in the knowledge that you can trust your players. Left 4 Dead proved it. And whereas that game had a personality, this one is overflowing with it.