9.3

1. Aug 17, 2010
    The base concept of moving from area to area killing hordes of zombies is nothing new. How they go about making it is remarkable, however. The game forces teamwork and with the help of the ai director you can play this game over and over and over and almost never have two similar situations. Defiantly a groundbreaking achievement in the gaming world.
  2. Dec 30, 2010
    The game is amazing. Great Graphics and the increasing hordes makes the game very addicting as well as zombies being in different places each time you play the campaigns. Great game with nice weapons. I recommend it!
  3. Oct 8, 2012
    best zombie game ever! the characters, the zombie models, the special infected, the co up, the versus! all so fun! i always wanted a game which had easily killed zombies but still had to use team work to survive, probebly the best co up game i can think of in the moment, nope its the best i know!
  4. Dec 4, 2010
    Don't play the game if you are light-hearted, have heart disease, or don't like zombies that jump on to you. Because this game is one of the scariest zombie games I've ever had to play. But it is shear fun just to shoot the crap out of the zombies. And the best part is? They keep coming and you just keep on shooting. Nice, right? Check this game out right away. I regret not playing this earlier.
  5. Ed1
    Dec 12, 2010
    This game was such a blast when it came out! It's now been superseded by L4D2, which is even better, but I still rate this as one of the best games of all times.
  6. Oct 27, 2011
    The only original zombie game. I can proudly say that I've squandered several years of my life playing this game. Unfortunately Valve appears to have abandoned this game after releasing Left 4 Dead 2 (which for the most part does indeed suck many a scrotilia).
  7. Sep 24, 2010
    This game has all of the basic elements that a shooter should have and more. It gives the hardcore a mode, the director is one of the smartest ever created and it's cheap right now. Left 4 Dead is probably the best zombie shooter ever. Yet. I hope that Valve can release even more great games.
  8. Sep 25, 2010
    It is the best game in the world! In it there is all - Replaying, fascination, she class, interesting. I say thank big to developers! In Russia game costs 600 roubles - the real price for such game! First a part of game much more interesting - she interesting and characters is more attractive than the second part better...
    All I shall advise to get this game, you will not regret cent, you
    will be keen in this game for a long time and if you have friends - that tell and let they will buy it, they will not regret! Expand
  9. Oct 9, 2010
    Zombie games aren't exactly in a famine these days. With so many games focusing on surviving against zombies, it can be hard to pick any good games from the crowd. But with Left 4 Dead, I believe all other games have just been blown out of the water. In L4D, you play as one of four survivors- Bill, Francis, Zoey, or Louis. Each has their own little back story and their own personality, something that helps you connect. Like Francis, who hates stairs, helicopters, zombies, walking, and generally anything and everything. There are multiple campaigns in the game, each with a different set of locales and atmospheres. Like the first campaign, No Mercy, which has you moving through a city to rendezvous on a hospital skyscraper rooftop. Each campaign is broken into chapters, which have you getting from the start area to a safehouse. At the last chapter, you face a thing called a finale, where you get a bunch of supplies, an area to hole out in, and a trigger to start it. When you activate the trigger, a massive horde of zombies rush at you. And the game features a "Director," who controls how the chapter is going. For example, you might hole out in a parking lot in one area and defend against a wave of zombies using gas canisters in one playthrough, and maybe the next the canisters won't be there and the zombies will come from behind. And killing zombies in this game is FUN. You start out with a single pistol, and can pick up an smg or a shotgun. Later in a chapter you find upgraded weapons, which are a hunting rifle, an auto shotgun, and an assault rifle. The game gets pretty gory when using a shotgun or hunting rifle, as headshots will take zombie heads clean off and shotgun blasts will tear off limbs. If you like FPS games, or zombie games, this is the game for you. Expand
  10. Dec 14, 2010
    Amazingly fun game. Buy it NOW! It is very fun survival mode and versus mode, and you can play with friends and just have a good time blowing zombiw hordes apart! What more do you want?
  11. Apr 24, 2011
    Left 4 Dead is an awesome game and the only classic I have seen in a while. The story is about four survivors who are stranded in a town struck by the T-viru-, I mean a horrible infection which turned the citizens into zombies. Louis, Francis, Bill and Zoey are amazing characters that you will certainly grow to love and everytime we start playing the game we end up in a fight over who get's to play which awesome character. The story is mostly told through graffiti on the walls left there by other survivors and very subtle elements such as covered up bodies or piles of infected. The only downside is that the story of the survivors doesn't really make sense. At the end of every chapter you get saved from the city and at the beginning of every chapter you are standed again. That is the only reason this game does not get a full 10!

The gameplay is the best part because this game is endlessly replayable. The goal is to fight through the infected and make it to the next safehouse, in the final part of each mission you will have to wait for rescue while thousands of zombies try to kill you. Thanks to the AI Director who decides where zombies, items and special infected spawn the game is never same twice and the difficulty is adjusted to your playstyle. The special infected also force you to adapt to a new situation very quickly, so you can't just mow through the infected alone because you will be picked off. This game perfectly enforces teamwork and you can replay it at any time, that is a true multiplayer game and a true classic.

Finally, I also want to mention the presentation. A lot of effort has gone into making the city and everything that happens look as realistic as possible. There is never a moment that you will spend in a place you can't relate to and that is just amazing. The music is also awesome and like the AI Director it is different for each playthrough and each player hears a different song.

Summary: Great game which you can replay at any time without getting bored. Story fails to connect events to each other, but the presentation easily makes you forget about that.
  12. Apr 27, 2013
    Left 4 Dead set a standard for online gaming. It's” team survival” feature is fantastic and innovative. Many newer games have adopted this idea for their multiplayer features. My other 3 companions are almost always bots, and Left 4 Dead’s surprisingly decent AI offers a satisfying single player experience. Unfortunately, the other features, such as the “Versus” or “Survival” never appealed to me. But in the game’s defense, I never gave these other features much of a chance. This is because I was always glued to the regular campaigns and never directed my attention elsewhere. I strongly recommend this to all gamers out there. If you like FPSs and multiplayer, then this game will undoubtedly meet your standards. Expand
  13. Apr 24, 2011
    Left 4 Dead offers the greatest multiplayer experience with strangers so far. Even if you do not like FPS games, or western zombie culture with its pretentious assertion that it all represents something else a little bit deeper, I warrant youâ
  14. Apr 24, 2011
    Very good game for its time. I played this with friends when I was younger and I really enjoyed myself. It was just one of those games everyone had at the time and everyone would play. I think it's one of the better zombie games out there, if not the role-model for a lot of them.
  15. Jun 17, 2011
    It's technically the same as the Xbox 360 version except it feels like there's so much more you can do with it, especially since you can download unique modded maps made by other players. It's rare that I think a game is better on the PC than it is on a console like the Xbox 360, but this is a perfect example of a game that is.
  16. Sep 14, 2011
    This game is flawless! The game play just seems more smoother then in Left 4 Dead 2 and the characters are more attractive Bill a Vietnam vet, Francis the Chopper dude, Louis a successful black man and Zoey a pretty young girl that loves zombie movies.. I would give it a 10 but the game lacks more weapons, more types of zombies, more items, ect that Left 4 Dead 2 provides. Besides those minor things I just can't seem the explain why I feel Left 4 Dead 1 is better. Also the thirdpersonshoulder mode works in L4D1. It is bugged in L4D2 and was never fixed. Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2011
    I got this game after my boyfriend recommended it for me. It was my first zombie and shooting game I have ever had. As a girl I typically thought first that the game is boring and stupid. But I was definitely wrong! Visual look, background music and sound effects are cool. And I like that l4d has special zombies and requires teamwork! The more the merrier, right? This is one of those games which you play hours and hours a day, may get bored with it, but always come back for more. Expand
  18. Jul 15, 2011
    I'm still playing this, still, my friends and I still have LAN's, just for this game. It is possibly the perfect co-op game ever made. Buy it, play it, if you don't like it, there's something wrong with you.
  19. Sep 8, 2011
    An amazing game that started the whole zombie survival horror boom. Valve proved beyond doubt that they are masters of quality. Play with friends if you can.
  20. May 11, 2012
    Overall one of the best games ever made, and pretty much evolved the zombie genre to a point towards even making Resident Evil run for its money when it comes down to zombie genre games. Left 4 Dead will leave you with excitement and suspense which you will more than likely be talking about for a long time, along with that the fact its a Steam game and from valve, expect it to have a lot of PC content exclusives such as Achievements, constant upgrades and unofficial mods. To make it better, Left 4 Dead 2 comes packed with this game as well when you purchase it! Expand
  21. Nov 25, 2011
    It's a shame this game's community is nearly non existent now since Left 4 Dead 2 replaced it, but in it's time it gave me hundred's of hours of FUN. This game just has such a high replay-ability, it just never got boring for me. Playing this with friends just makes the experience even more enjoyable. 10/10
  22. Nov 29, 2011
    Absolutely amazing zombie game that reminds me of the movie 28 days later. The only way to improve this game would have been to add various routes, and more weapons. If you want to get the most out of left 4 dead, play online with friends, single player gets boring.
  23. Dec 13, 2011
    Funnest single/multiplayer/co-op zombie game you'll ever play! Play with your friends: 4 vs 4: humans vs infected. Also if you know where to look there are some incredibly fun servers with different and personalized game modes. This game never fails to amaze unless you have a useless tool on your team. The only bad thing I have to say is not about the game itself but the developers, for releasing L4D2 way too soon and reducing the attention that this game deserved. Expand
  24. Dec 20, 2011
    Goddamn this game and the hours and hours and hours it has stolen from my life. And the sequel. It's all so ridiculously simple - point, shoot, run ad nauseum - that by rights I should not still have this game installed on my machine. Don't know why but a few years on, I still find myself logging on an doing a quick campaign. It is the ultimate co-op straightforward "get-to-safety" survival horror game going. I think the endless appeal has to be with the 'AI Director' that changes the intensity, placement and frequency of zombie and special infected attacks. Everytime you play, it's all so familiar, yet completely different. If I do have one criticism though, it's the zombies themselves. I mean, how can they all be so samey! Expand
  25. Dec 29, 2011
    Excelent game, I am giving a 9 only because the 10 belongs to the second release of Left 4 Dead, since the only thing this game was failing at is some bugs inside it and the poor hand to hand combat weapons, both upgraded in the second release.
  26. Jan 18, 2012
    Left 4 Dead est pour moi, le meilleur jeu de coopération. Il nécessite beaucoup de stratégie et de reflex pour jouer en Versus. Mais je ne le conseille pas à ceux qui ont une mauvaise connection ou aux débutant de ce genre pour jouer en versus
  27. Feb 8, 2012
    Why didn't they think of this before? It's brilliant to force the teamwork this way and keep the game fresh by changing things every play through. Extremely highly recommended buy.
  28. Jan 29, 2013
    i love this game!!! its awesome, humorous, jumpy, challenging and addictive!!! i love it :) best thing: getting a head shot on the witch with the shot gun :) i love francis just for the fact that he doesn't give a f**k :) i could play this game over and over again and i would still be just as entertained :D equally i love the 2nd game just as much. i just wish Valve would make a Left For Dead 3 O.o Expand
  29. Apr 30, 2013
    Left 4 Dead has proved itself why it is the best co-op game there is. Not just it offers incredible game play, and a chance to become a Special Infected, it also makes teammates actually communicate and work together. Going Rambo is not a smart choice in this game-if the horde does not finish you off, then that Hunter on the prowl might........
  30. ERB
    Nov 15, 2013
    One of the best games I played in the PC.This game is great and it really does feel like a zombie survival game because you need cooperation in this game because if you are like in a situation that all of your team mates are dead and you are still alive you are likely to die because a zombie called hunter will just get you and then he will kill you or a smoker because a smoker ties you in the tongue and then he will kill you.Left 4 Dead is probably one of the best games that Valve developed.The game play in this game is fun and I'm telling you this game is fun so all of you people who loves a fun game you should buy this.The multiplayer in this game is also fun.You can choose whether you want to be an infected like The Boomer,The Smoker,The Hunter,or even better the strongest zombie in the game The Tank.Or you can choose to be a survivor which is Bill a military soldier,or Francis an awesome biker,or Louis the pills addict,or Zoey she is I don't know a teenager.This game is fun.So all of you people reading my review you should buy this game for this game is fun.One of the best games ever! Expand
  31. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Watch out for the Incredible Purple Hulk (you’ll see what I mean!)

Play L4D at your peril! This game is completely addictive at least it is for me. Shooting zombies is just so much fun, especially when it’s made possible by such a well-crafted game. The premise is very simple: you and three fellow survivors have to make your way from one safe house to another until you are finally
    rescued. Along the way you have to fight off hordes of slavering zombies. In single player mode the AI is pretty good, although your teammates don’t always behave as you might wish them to during the incredibly hectic campaign finales. There are 4 campaigns with 5 maps to each one. Replay value is good due to the fact that the AI changes the zombie attacks and spawn points with each play, so you never know where the horde is going to come flooding from or where the bosses are lurking. When you get bored with the maps supplied there are loads of 3rd party maps and campaigns available on the web. On top of all this you can even play as one the various types of zombies (on a random basis). Personally I find this less satisfying, but it is worth a go just to get the other perspective. This is a simple but truly great game. L4D2 here I come! Expand
  32. Dec 6, 2013
    Este juego me gusto, tuvo mucha accion y un excelente gameplay."Left 4 Dead" tiene un buen tema y buenos personajes para elegir.Este juego puede ser uno de los mejores juegos de zombies.
  33. Sep 6, 2013
    Excellent co-op multiplayer game where players are required to team up to actually win unlike many other "coops". However it's biggest flaw is the community where players are not punished for leaving games thus having lots of leavers when things start to go bad for a particular team. Much better than the sequal game that was released shortly after this one.
  34. Oct 25, 2013
    Decent zombie game. Most playable with friends you actually know over live chat. Cause the L4D community has many people trolling. Non the less ,the different campaigns you can download from the modding community, will make it up to you. Its an solid shooter ,but it starts lacking of replay value after few hundred hours.

There's absolutely no doubt that Left 4 Dead is one of the most social and exciting multiplayer games that we've ever played. It's almost pitch perfect in how it captures the tension and the action of a Hollywood zombie movie.
    The inventive and highly entertaining competitive multiplayer mode just adds to the experience, and we're looking forward to seeing what Valve's got planned for the game's future. Out of all the titles that have shaped the Year of Living Cooperatively, this may be the best experience of them all.
    One of the finest zombie games ever made, and one of the finest co-op games ever made. The potential for everything to go so, so wrong without warning, or conversely to pull off the most spectacular escapes against all odds, means this is an online shooter you can tell your finest anecdotes about without boring everyone else to tears.