8.1

1. Jul 19, 2012
    Ahh...nostalgia. Do you remember games like Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder? Well, if you do and liked them, you are really going to love Legend of Grimrock. It's just like old times. If you are to "young" to remember this game, it is a classical old-fashioned dungeon crawler experience. Find a 2x2 square and start slashing at the monsters and never ever get cornered.
  2. Nov 28, 2012
    I play this with my wife (40years old. I-never-played-game-before) and sometimes with my nephew (a 20years old hardcore gamer). Both of them love the game. I consider myself a hardcore player too and, of course, I am so happy with L.O.G. Everything is well designed. Graphics are so good for a dungeon crawler and dont feel "indie" ( I shared a couple of screenshots in Facebook and EVERYBODYI play this with my wife (40years old. I-never-played-game-before) and sometimes with my nephew (a 20years old hardcore gamer). Both of them love the game. I consider myself a hardcore player too and, of course, I am so happy with L.O.G. Everything is well designed. Graphics are so good for a dungeon crawler and dont feel "indie" ( I shared a couple of screenshots in Facebook and EVERYBODY said they were so pretty). Thats what I can say about the appealing of this game. For the gameplay, I can say is wonderful, right click option is so beautiful, leveling system is simple but not dull, Spell casting system is a big hit for me. I love how it feels like a mage thing, not just a "click" thing, when you must remember and select correctly the runes for your spell, being under attack. Is not difficult (my mage killed more enemies than everyone else) and flavored. The only "bad" point about this game is the lack of NPCs interaction, like cities or shops, which could be awesome, making it one of the top 10 games ever, but without this, it just gets the title of Best Game of 2012. Expand
  3. Jan 9, 2013
    Very good game in the style of Might and Magic (a classic PC game). The graphics are outstanding and exploration really fun in those beautifully rendered environments. This is a game I recomment for people who like to explore dungeons and build up a party of interesting characters.
  4. Jan 23, 2013
    im disapointed . play it for 4 hours and think that magic is completely stupid system. you have to click RMB on hand icons( 1x1cm sqare) than check runes( which are little squares about 0.5x0.5 cm on 1900x1200) and than again pres LMB on listtle rectangle with cast icon. Each time even if i use just one spell it reset the runes so must do all the clicking by myself) . Devs say that thaim disapointed . play it for 4 hours and think that magic is completely stupid system. you have to click RMB on hand icons( 1x1cm sqare) than check runes( which are little squares about 0.5x0.5 cm on 1900x1200) and than again pres LMB on listtle rectangle with cast icon. Each time even if i use just one spell it reset the runes so must do all the clicking by myself) . Devs say that tha magic is complex system and it should not be so easy but that just stupid talking. If i play the team i pressume that all that team do not have just one brain so if i use my time by rmb clicking on warriors axe so my mage in that time should prepare runes on himself - he is part of team so if i told him : prepare firebal and wait till i order u to cast it so as soon (cooldown time) as he can he make the rune and then just wait as i RMB on his hands. the way the game is now seems more hack/slash than diablo couse players who click faster are better(or the one with better mouse ) this is my way of thinking about roleplaing if i take control of other character, the one i order should do as i say - so with magic : if i cast fireball once and do not change my mind to other spell so he should always be ready on his own to cast fireball not waiting for me each time to say : this time use fireball. If one want to have magic works as it works there should be few options for that for people who want game more oldschooled and who thinks my way. I bought that game just yeasterday evening and wont play it until magic is repaired or make some options to choose to have it easier also next time i wont buy another game of this studio before i check on pirate version if its playable for me(and if they will not change the magic system i wont buy it at all) Expand
  5. Jul 13, 2013
    This game has beautiful graphics, detailed dungeons and a combat system different from most rpg's that teaches you to think and react quickly especially when it comes to the runes and throwing system. If you don't like to be forced to use your wit in fast paced battles (like all the people who wrote the negative reviews) don't buy it. But if you enjoy a deep dungeon crawler that challengesThis game has beautiful graphics, detailed dungeons and a combat system different from most rpg's that teaches you to think and react quickly especially when it comes to the runes and throwing system. If you don't like to be forced to use your wit in fast paced battles (like all the people who wrote the negative reviews) don't buy it. But if you enjoy a deep dungeon crawler that challenges you buy this. Collapse
  6. Sep 8, 2013
    game design, balance and ui all feel half baked in grimrock which isnt surprising considering the team who made this consists of 4 artists. the real time combat feels clunky and most of the time you're looking over at your portraits instead of what's in front of you. strategy is also thrown out the window due to the real time decision; 90% of combat will involve you moving left/rightgame design, balance and ui all feel half baked in grimrock which isnt surprising considering the team who made this consists of 4 artists. the real time combat feels clunky and most of the time you're looking over at your portraits instead of what's in front of you. strategy is also thrown out the window due to the real time decision; 90% of combat will involve you moving left/right while clicking on your portraits. content is also very sparse considering the type of game this is.

dont waste your time on this and pick up etrian odyssey/dredmor instead if you're itching for a dungeon crawler.
  7. Aug 28, 2013
    When you try a few times to play the game and still have not been able to get into the story, graphics, control of the game and over all feel, it means the game is no good.

I did try to get into it about 8 times on different occasions, but not a game I like.

I am from old school, but this one is just doesn't cut it.
  8. Sep 26, 2013
    A real shame. After all the turn based movement it turns out that the combat is "twitch". For me that's enough of a killer to begin with, but allied to some pretty ordinary design decisions (too many pixel hunt puzzles.. literally DOZENS of them by the time you get 1/2 way through the game) and a very average user interface that turns the whole process into a "click fest". You end upA real shame. After all the turn based movement it turns out that the combat is "twitch". For me that's enough of a killer to begin with, but allied to some pretty ordinary design decisions (too many pixel hunt puzzles.. literally DOZENS of them by the time you get 1/2 way through the game) and a very average user interface that turns the whole process into a "click fest". You end up clicking in this game more per minute than say Diablo 3. Maybe this is something people like. I don't Expand
  9. Mar 16, 2013
    Grimrock is a engaging tribute to an era of RPG gaming many of us who played RPG's in the 90's sorely miss. It has some of the simple charm of the early Elder Scrolls (ie daggerfall) and Bard's Tale games. If you are a general fan of classic RPG's you'll enjoy Grimrock for at least a few hours of play.

The game is easy to pick up and play, the controls are intuitive and game doesn't require an extensive tutorial or preamble. My favorite part of my time with Grimrock thus far is that it doesn't have that oh so familiar (to modern RPG's at least) 'this will be fun once you level up high enough' feel. The game is about simple puzzles, character management and dungeon crawling. You are doing all three things within minutes of turning on the game. The character development seems a little simplistic and the puzzles/enemies seem to have a pretty low variation rate. That said this review is written with 2 hours of play time under my belt. Excited to go back for more but not wowed by anything except the simplicity and comfortable aesthetics.
  10. Feb 13, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical about this game before trying it, but I was pleasantly surprised once I got it going. The game is simple enough to start without too much introduction, and the early levels serve as active tutorials that doesn't seem like tutorials at all. But the game also offers a very wide range of customization in terms of your characters, classes, skill points and traits. TheI was a bit skeptical about this game before trying it, but I was pleasantly surprised once I got it going. The game is simple enough to start without too much introduction, and the early levels serve as active tutorials that doesn't seem like tutorials at all. But the game also offers a very wide range of customization in terms of your characters, classes, skill points and traits. The puzzles are challenging, but not hard. There are usually clues all around, and none of the puzzles are unrealisitcly difficult. The game can be very challenging at times, but its not unfair, so after a big fight, it will usually let you have a breather. Combat takes a while to get used to. If you stand still, you'll get pounded to the floor, but this new form of combat is a nice change from what we are used to.

I would have liked it if there was an option to reset skill points without having to start the game over. After I had played the first 3-4 hours, I had gained some valuable knowledge about the game, and felt that I would be better off by starting over and indeed, I was a lot more powerful when I made it to the same point of the game. I feel that being able to reset your points could negate this I could have spent my skill points differently, without being as strong as my newly customized characters was, and I feel that new players shouldn't be penalized quite this much by making bad mistakes early on in the game.
  11. Aug 5, 2012
    I'm guessing the poor reviews are from kids that have never heard of Eye of the Beholder or Black Crypt. For those that have this is a sumptuous delve into the past. But it is not as good as it could have been which is an absolute shame. No character generation? Even EotB and BC had that 20 years ago! To cast spells you have to select buttons on a 3x3 grid which wouldn't be so bad if theI'm guessing the poor reviews are from kids that have never heard of Eye of the Beholder or Black Crypt. For those that have this is a sumptuous delve into the past. But it is not as good as it could have been which is an absolute shame. No character generation? Even EotB and BC had that 20 years ago! To cast spells you have to select buttons on a 3x3 grid which wouldn't be so bad if the buttons stayed selected, instead you have to keep re selecting each button..... gameplay suicide. Your ranged character is next to useless if you miss the bow which is in a secret area..... why ffs, then all she can do is throw rocks and a pointy bit of metal. The puzzles are well implemented if a bit nonsensical. If you are under 30 years of age you will probably hate this game but for those of us that spent hours drawing maps on squared paper this is a fun, if short lived, stroll down memory lane. Expand
  12. Aug 18, 2012
    It's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoilIt's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoil anything by going into detail). I generally don't like that kind of stuff, so that was very disappointing for me.
    It also seems that one doesn't get anything for collecting certain things throughout the dungeon. Nothing unlocked, no special artwork, not even a text mentioning how awesome you are. I guess they're just there for achievements.
    Aside from these things, I've thoroughly enjoyed this adventure though. And at ~15 hours pretty lengthy too (especially considering the price).
  13. May 9, 2012
    As an oldschool PC player in the age of console ports, this game made me feel home, I loved it! And the execution is really outstanding, it mixes best parts of the classic and modern gaming, a masterpiece.
  14. Aug 2, 2012
    This old school, tile based, real time RPG Adventure is awesome. If you like dungeon crawlers, this is a great indie title to get your hands on.
    Don't expect anything like Skyrim, or the likes of that, because this IS old school.
    Graphics, sound and athmosphere is above decent. Many hours of exploration to do, if you're into these kind of games.
    I don't regret buying it at full price.
  15. Jul 14, 2012
    Bought the game after my brothers recommendation, not expecting much, but holy **** I was surprised by how much fun I'm having with this one. It's definetly an old school RPG, with rooms and corridors and going into keeper and deeper levels of the dungeon. You get four characters in your party, four races to choose from, and the three classic classes, fighter, mage and rouge. You never getBought the game after my brothers recommendation, not expecting much, but holy **** I was surprised by how much fun I'm having with this one. It's definetly an old school RPG, with rooms and corridors and going into keeper and deeper levels of the dungeon. You get four characters in your party, four races to choose from, and the three classic classes, fighter, mage and rouge. You never get to see your characters, and you all only take up one space, so all of your guys are working together as a unit, though individuals can still die if you don't watch what you're doing.. You can also pick custom character portraits for them, which make it a lot of fun if you make up your team from your friends. The combat's pretty sweet and the puzzles are good enough to be fun and not frustrating, and some pretty interesting **** happens at around level 5, if you're paying attention. Pick this one up.

Soon there's gonna be a map editor, so we can make our own sweet dungeons. I was also slightly surprised to see that levels aren't randomly generated, that would have been awesome.
  16. Jul 14, 2013
    It's an example of a classic game done right. You'll be silently creeping through a tunnel one minute, battling some furious creature the next, and then solving a puzzle using only the clues printed on the wall, and your own mind. This game does require patience, and it definitely isn't all non-stop action, but it's a game that's made really well and feels polished. Overall, I had a lot ofIt's an example of a classic game done right. You'll be silently creeping through a tunnel one minute, battling some furious creature the next, and then solving a puzzle using only the clues printed on the wall, and your own mind. This game does require patience, and it definitely isn't all non-stop action, but it's a game that's made really well and feels polished. Overall, I had a lot of fun exploring these vast dungeons. Expand
  17. Jul 20, 2013
    This is an INITIAL review. I have one hour in the game and was not sure if I would like it. But let me tell you, there is depth in this game. Plus the workshop.. Phew. Lots of content. It has gear, leveling (deep leveling in line with D&D) and the combat is not just "stand in front and attack" it makes you juke left and right to avoid incoming damage. Spells are great, you have to put aThis is an INITIAL review. I have one hour in the game and was not sure if I would like it. But let me tell you, there is depth in this game. Plus the workshop.. Phew. Lots of content. It has gear, leveling (deep leveling in line with D&D) and the combat is not just "stand in front and attack" it makes you juke left and right to avoid incoming damage. Spells are great, you have to put a sort of code in to execute a spell making memory very important. If you like crawling around and saying "oooooo what did i just pick up" then youl love this game. Summer sale is going on also on steam, pick it up for sure. Most people know ahead of time if they will enjoy a game like this, if its up your ally, then its a game for you.

For the more serious gamer, not so much for someone looking for a quick fix or lots of action. However combat is rewarding. I gave this game a 9 because it accomplishes what it seeks out to do. A great dungeon crawling experience.
  18. Jul 8, 2012
    A wonderful surprise for us older gamers who loved the original styles, and this brings the model up to date with good graphics and surprising detail. Also nice that it was a small indie firm who were genuinely pleased and excited it was so popular, that made it a pleasure to hand over some money to play it.

I played it exclusively until it was completed, and am still impatiently

I played it exclusively until it was completed, and am still impatiently waiting for new content and the long-promised user-submitted maps and dungeon editor. Come on!

Bargain of the year along with Toy Soldiers.
  19. Jun 17, 2012
    Take the tried and tested Dungeon Master or Eye of the beholder gameplay, slap on a fresh 3D coat of paint, and you'll get Legend of Grimrock. No use in comparing this with Diablo III - this game is a nice remake of a game made *25* years ago, folks. 25 years! So yes, the tile-based gameplay seems quite old when compared to newer titles, and the level design isn't quite up to par comparedTake the tried and tested Dungeon Master or Eye of the beholder gameplay, slap on a fresh 3D coat of paint, and you'll get Legend of Grimrock. No use in comparing this with Diablo III - this game is a nice remake of a game made *25* years ago, folks. 25 years! So yes, the tile-based gameplay seems quite old when compared to newer titles, and the level design isn't quite up to par compared to the old games mentionned above, but if you enjoyed the original dungeon crawlers, you'll definitively enjoy this title. Upcoming level editor should give this game a huge fan base and contents for years to come. Expand
  20. Jul 8, 2012
    The best gaming experience I had lately. Simple controls, difficult puzzles, good graphics, great atmosphere, exciting fights, team customisation and levelling. It provides the best a game like this can provide.
    The dungeons remind me of the dwemer dungeons of Skyrim.
  21. Jul 8, 2012
    This is an outstanding homage to the Eye of the Beholder type games, as you know by now.

They get most things very right. The graphics are attractive, the gameplay fits the old games but lacks most of the aggravations from any quality issues (it runs smoothly as you'd want). The best thing about the game is the puzzles. There are many, they don't really repeat, just a few are pulled from old games, and they're hard - keep you from going further in the game - then just great when you solve them.

There are a few minor things with them, such as not realizing things you shouldn't have to on earlier levels that can matter in later levels, in two situations I can think of.

My over feeling of the game is that it's just wonderful for the things it gets right - but there are flaws.

The parties are a bit simplistic, you don't get enough information to make good picks, the way magic works doesn't make a lot of sense in how you learn spells but the game's primary mechanic for learning new spells teaches some very late and some not at all; the party mechanics are not well balanced, you can make mistakes, there is inflexibility if you do. The story is pretty throwaway, a few seconds at the beginning to get you in the dungeon.

But the game feels polished, and provides a large amount of entertainment, if you like the idea of a very fun old-design dungeon crawler with a lot of good puzzles.

Name the best 10 games you have played, and I can find what I think are big flaws in each, while still agreeing they're deserving of 'best of all time'. This is one of the best games in years IMO.

I'd really like to give it a 10 despite the minor flaws, but they're just big enough to make it a 9.5. I could be wrong. Oh heck, while writing I realize it deserves that 10, with the criticisms.
  22. Jul 17, 2012
    Nice old-styled game from years of Eye of the Beholder in nice moder graphics engine. Enjoyable puzzles and skill build of your party. Just casting spells is little bit "click that fast horror" and the last level seems not funny at all... If they will add level editor and Steam Workshop, I put this on 10 points. Now it's just 8.
  23. Jul 19, 2012
    Brilliant Sound , Brilliant Graphic and BRILLIANT Game ! Easy Control and many Characters ! I love this game cause there many enemies , many levels and many puzzles ! You will love this game !!!

It cost only 15 dollars !
  24. Aug 5, 2012
    This is near the perfect nostalgia game for those of us who remember what it was like to grow up playing RPG's in 80"s, and 90's. It's updated graphics and souund make it a pleasure to play, the format is old school, but the look is as moden as any out. I have seen some gripe about the combat for being too difficult. Personally I find it to be much easier to play then say many of the greatThis is near the perfect nostalgia game for those of us who remember what it was like to grow up playing RPG's in 80"s, and 90's. It's updated graphics and souund make it a pleasure to play, the format is old school, but the look is as moden as any out. I have seen some gripe about the combat for being too difficult. Personally I find it to be much easier to play then say many of the great Westwood Studio classics that pretty much are the model for this. I think it has more to do with kids being spoiled now. Every battle is tough, and you do have to prep your chars between battles....you will die from time to time, but as long as you use your brain, and prep your chars you'll do okay....and yes you do have to play the game of hit and run at times, I used to have to do that in those older games too....I think again, this game is going to be excellent for people nostalgic for those older games, and their difficulty level, but some newer gamers will not like the format. Th magic is a bit hard to do on the fly, but you learn. That's not an error on the development team's part, that's just different tastes. Last thing I would say is the puzzles are great! This is probably the best part of the game, every area has unique puzzles to solve....it's very satisfying, and I never thought I would get to play something like this again! Expand
  25. Aug 10, 2012
    Great game, spent hours at a time crawling through dungeons and killing monsters, this is actually my first review on this website so i'm sorry if its slightly lacking. I've completed the game before, and nearly a second time trying to find all the secrets and everything I missed. The multitude of different roles that you can pick for the characters will have me going back for awhile, notGreat game, spent hours at a time crawling through dungeons and killing monsters, this is actually my first review on this website so i'm sorry if its slightly lacking. I've completed the game before, and nearly a second time trying to find all the secrets and everything I missed. The multitude of different roles that you can pick for the characters will have me going back for awhile, not to mention the special 'Toorum Mode' that is one of the most creative secrets I have seen in awhile.

Most of these people seem to be complaining about the combat system, the combat is very simple once you get the hang of it, some stuff can be tedious like picking up arrows or wondering around for a few seconds trying to find a stray crossbow bolt, however I feel that just makes the game more fun. Same goes with the spell casting, it makes it all that more addicting.

Also another complaint I have been seeing a lot is the food system, its really not that bad and even with characters that require mass amounts of food you can still have excess. Item management is crucial, however you can use bags and boxes to help which is a nice addition. Overall the game relies greatly on the ability to think on your feet, something which many games do not do these days. The only bad thing about this game, is that it can get a little repetitive with its level designs, once you have figured all the puzzles out and were the secrets are there's really not that much more to do as you just run threw killing everything in your path.
  26. Jun 16, 2014
    I really, really, really wanted to like this game. It was the first time I played a game like this since Lands of Lore. I don't know what I didn't like but by level 9 I was just not having any fun. And when a game isn't fun I stop playing. But for what kind of game this is, it's a 10.
  27. Sep 26, 2012
    muy buen juego para jugadores de rpg que añoran la vieja escuela , si por lo contrario no nunca jugaste a este tipo de rpg puede ser que te decepcione y no te guste
  28. Dec 2, 2013
    This is a highly enjoyable role playing experience, as it's hard to find a similar one. The ability (or rather restriction) of moving from tile-to-tile rather than free roaming requires tactical decisions. The game manages to entertain you and it looks good while doing it.
  29. Dec 8, 2012
    OMG! Dungeon Master resurrected! Can't stop playing now! So far, excellent! Is also now part of the Steam Workshop so replay value has greatly improved with people all around the world submitting their dungeons.
  30. Jan 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, allow me to say that I am quite new to Indie games, but really like RPGs, still was not raised in the world of Dungeon crawling, so this game was a first one for me.

I did nevertheless enjoyed it a lot, to my surprise, spending around 50 hours in the game, trying to get all the secrets, experimenting with different armors and learning the mechanics.

Nevertheless the only reason I diminished my score from a 10 to 8 (I would rather give a 8.5) is:
    1. The last boss is quite boring.
    2. The game mechanics are a bit strange, specially how the attributes affect the playability and example being Overpowered Archers and Underpowered Armors.
    3. Story is a bit lacking.

Still this is an amazing game and I would definitely recommend it to RPG lovers!!!.
  31. Aug 18, 2013
    a refreshing puzzle game, its a nice change from action orientated RPGs such as skyrim and fallout, while still keeping the thrill of exploration and strategy combat, i highly recommend you try this game, you will not be disappointed
  32. Sep 13, 2013
    A modern day resurrection of a classic formula, Legend of Grimrock captures the exploration and puzzle-goodness of classic dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. A few interface issues (tedious spell casting, poor visual clues concerning which of your four characters are hitting or missing) and an over-reliance on puzzles in lieu of a plot (there are literally zeroA modern day resurrection of a classic formula, Legend of Grimrock captures the exploration and puzzle-goodness of classic dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. A few interface issues (tedious spell casting, poor visual clues concerning which of your four characters are hitting or missing) and an over-reliance on puzzles in lieu of a plot (there are literally zero NPCs to speak to, only monsters to kill) hold it back a bit. But for a first entry into what could become a great series (just needs more plot, character development, and RPG elements), Legend of Grimrock has promise. Overall a fun and fairly-priced game. Go get it. Expand
  33. Nov 1, 2013
    Even over a year later after I got it, I still find this game extremely fun and challenging. It's a very unique experience for me as there's no other game I've played like it. There are dozens upon dozens of secrets hidden among the walls of Grimrock, some in which are extremely rewarding. Although the game can be very unforgiving, you can save at any time. Being able to spot a hiddenEven over a year later after I got it, I still find this game extremely fun and challenging. It's a very unique experience for me as there's no other game I've played like it. There are dozens upon dozens of secrets hidden among the walls of Grimrock, some in which are extremely rewarding. Although the game can be very unforgiving, you can save at any time. Being able to spot a hidden button on a nearby wall, and be rewarded with good equipment is very satisfying. My biggest gripe with this game is how frustrating the dice roll system can be, kinda like in Pokemon where you miss your attack 10 times in a row.

There's a sequel in the works, so pick this up sometime so you can look forward to it like me!
  34. Dec 11, 2013
    I have never been interested in dungeon games but Grimrock persuaded me that there is at least one true adventure which takes place within the four walls and infects everyone with claustrophobia. So many puzzles, breath-hold moments and atmosperic stuff that it is impossible to forget this journey.
  35. Jan 21, 2014
    This game brings back a lot of memories, however it can not match it's predecessors, not even a bit. The game just lacks depth (few classes, no npc's, no classdepth, etc.) and modern controls (like the terrible spellcasting system). It looks like the game was made in 1990 or just for the iPad. The only positive point I can mention is that I like the idea of a remake of the old classic,This game brings back a lot of memories, however it can not match it's predecessors, not even a bit. The game just lacks depth (few classes, no npc's, no classdepth, etc.) and modern controls (like the terrible spellcasting system). It looks like the game was made in 1990 or just for the iPad. The only positive point I can mention is that I like the idea of a remake of the old classic, but this has been a huge disappointment.
    Also, I really don't understand why so many people rate this game so high, maybe they did it after seeing it and playing it for a few minutes, because I was siked too. After an hour I realized this was all the game had too offer and it is very little.
  36. Feb 24, 2014
    I had quite high expectations from this game. Wich turned out to be a fault. It isn't really bad game, but it also isn't exactly what I thought it would be. Many of the old school dungeon crawlers had quite a story attached to them. Not this game though. The atmosphere is there. To some extent. The old school feeling too. The difficulty curve is too steep for my taste. Something feels aI had quite high expectations from this game. Wich turned out to be a fault. It isn't really bad game, but it also isn't exactly what I thought it would be. Many of the old school dungeon crawlers had quite a story attached to them. Not this game though. The atmosphere is there. To some extent. The old school feeling too. The difficulty curve is too steep for my taste. Something feels a bit off about this game too, not sure if it is the characters or the general style of graphics. The game kept me entertained for about 6 or seven hours after which I concluded that this isn't exactly my cup of tea. However I do applaud to making old-school styled games in the modern setting. The new games can learn a lot in the history of gaming industry. Thumbs up for the overall concept. Expand
  37. Mar 15, 2013
    I was really skeptical about this game until I played it. This was actually my first "old school RPG" as other people are referring to it. I really enjoyed it. The story was really interesting, the secrets and puzzles were challenging, and the combat was player skill based rather than solely chance-based. And FYI, to the retard who spent 90% of the game sleeping to regain HP, there areI was really skeptical about this game until I played it. This was actually my first "old school RPG" as other people are referring to it. I really enjoyed it. The story was really interesting, the secrets and puzzles were challenging, and the combat was player skill based rather than solely chance-based. And FYI, to the retard who spent 90% of the game sleeping to regain HP, there are GIGANTIC GLOWING CRYSTALS that refill your HP and energy for you and recharge every 5 minutes. Expand
  38. Mar 18, 2014
    This is kind of like visiting the old Eye of the Beholder games which I thought wouldn't work because of the static feel of the playing style. However, I was wrong. It's still fun, great fun. The game itself has a few flaws and the ending is fairly weak and abrupt but overall, this is nostalgia when it works!
  39. Dec 1, 2012
    This game is extremely fun. I am not an "oldschool gamer" per se. So I wasn't really aware of dungeon crawlers. But this game was just great. The tiles-based system and thus the unique combat system felt awkward at first but I got used to it fast. The story was good, I loved reading the notes and hints that prisoners before me left me. There are many secrets and puzzles. Most puzzles feltThis game is extremely fun. I am not an "oldschool gamer" per se. So I wasn't really aware of dungeon crawlers. But this game was just great. The tiles-based system and thus the unique combat system felt awkward at first but I got used to it fast. The story was good, I loved reading the notes and hints that prisoners before me left me. There are many secrets and puzzles. Most puzzles felt really rewarding to solve, others had me totally confused (especially some of the teleportpuzzles) but overall they were great. Playtime was 19 hours for me on my first playthrough while consulting a walkthrough 2 or 3 times. Replayability seems to be strong, i can't wait to start a new game and find all the missed treasures and secrets and try a totally different groupcombo with different skillsets and weapons. On the downsite, I didn't like the last level very much, it felt hectic and unnecessary. the bossfight felt unsatisfying and annoying with many monsters constantly blocking you. Overall it is a great title for an amazing price. 8/10 Expand
  40. May 24, 2013
    Aaah! Now there is a good Dungeon Crawler! Really Liked this game. Played about 20 hours. Enjoyed. Few major dislikes: 1. I want ability of turn-based RPG (not digging the click-on-hero type of attack at all!), 2. Becomes a little too repetitive on the 20th hour of game-play, given of course identical graphics and similar mazes (obviously). Other than that the game possessesAaah! Now there is a good Dungeon Crawler! Really Liked this game. Played about 20 hours. Enjoyed. Few major dislikes: 1. I want ability of turn-based RPG (not digging the click-on-hero type of attack at all!), 2. Becomes a little too repetitive on the 20th hour of game-play, given of course identical graphics and similar mazes (obviously). Other than that the game possesses character, fun to play, has a built-in dungeon editor and something that's called Classic Mode (if i remember correctly) which sets you down with pencil and paper as in classical D&D Board Game i guess (i am yet to try it). To all the lovers of Wizardry and RPG's must try! Expand
  41. Jan 4, 2013
    A fantastically made modern take on the old-school, grid movement styled dungeon crawler. Customize your party, then delve into a dungeon filled with monsters, treasures and devious puzzles. All of it taking place in a beautifully rendered world. This isn't the best RPG of 2012, nor the best indie game of 2012. It's simply the best game of any kind in 2012.

Not only is the game cheap as

Not only is the game cheap as Hell, but comes complete with a powerful dungeon editor, letting Grimrock's players create custom dungeons that you can download and play.
  42. Jul 17, 2012
    This is an excellent game. True to the old style dungeon crawls of old, this game has interesting puzzles, dangerous enemies, and deadly traps. Best played without a FAQ or walkthrough - you may bang your head against a wall for an hour trying to figure out a puzzle, but when you do it's absolutely glorious.

The end of the game was well worth the time and effort; the final enemy comes

The end of the game was well worth the time and effort; the final enemy comes at you from left field and is both comical and terrifying. There is some amount of replay value, but the true replay value will come in the future: The company will be releasing, for free, an editor so that players can craft their own dungeons.
  43. Jul 17, 2012
    For Fans of Old school RPG Player like Eye of the Beholder and such, craving for a new entry in their favourite genre this game is probably a must have.

For those not familiar with the genre several "user friendly" additions made it into the game, like saving whenever and wherever you want to, or an automap which, unlike in the past where you had to work with paper & pencil, can be accessed anytime in case you lost yourself in the latter dungeons of the game (given their size not an unlikely event).

As far as im concerned i really enjoyed the graphics (!) and the puzzles of the game, which are plenty and more importantly unique in terms on how to solve them. (Heck, you can even use the dungeontraps to kill enemys with good timing :D)

The Combat (which is also an essential part of the game) however left a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth.
    At the start of the game you can create a group of up to four prisoners which can be warriors, rogues or mages, all with their own, unique skilltrees. The latter however are fairly poorly balanced. Either you stick with one tree (say axes for warrior) every time you level up, to be really powerfull or you end up with a mediocre char, who is trained in say armors and a weapon of your choice. I could live with that, if the combat itself wouldnt feel so clunky (mashing in the runes for spells every time gets annoying after a while) or the AI would pose a greater challenge (Literally every single enemy in the game can be killed without much effort, as long you have a 2X2 square. Simply wait till it moves to an adjacent square, attack and move to the side, since enemys cant attack diagonally).

Apart from that, the game does a pretty good job in terms of atmosphere and storytelling.
  44. Dec 27, 2012
    Definitely worth $4. I've got six hours so far and it's at least as entertaining as a lot of games I've played. I've bought plenty of more expensive games that didn't even get five minutes before I deleted them. I have a good feeling I'll play this one through. It's Eye of the Beholder or EOB II, Legend of Darkmoon style gameplay. The real time is the same but that particular detailDefinitely worth $4. I've got six hours so far and it's at least as entertaining as a lot of games I've played. I've bought plenty of more expensive games that didn't even get five minutes before I deleted them. I have a good feeling I'll play this one through. It's Eye of the Beholder or EOB II, Legend of Darkmoon style gameplay. The real time is the same but that particular detail might be hard to remember for those who played them. You wait after each action while that action recharges. It's cool. You have to move around and dodge the pursuing enemy and pay enough attention so you don't get locked into a corner or get surrounded which can be a quick death. Searching for secret doors is fun, the puzzles are fun and I hate puzzles, but I like the style of these. All the high ratings for this game made me a little suspicious, but I'd have to agree the game isn't bad. I don't see quite how there are so many 10's though. Even if I rated it for the period these games came out, which is pretty much what I did, it still could use a little more detail. I think it just needs a little more creativity regarding character development. More options. The original Fallout is a great example of how a lot of options with skills, abilities, and creative detail helps escape that generic feel I think this game could use a bit more of. But it's a solid dungeon crawler never the less. I love old school stuff and I'm glad I bought this game. I just hope they make another one and throw in a little more. If you're going to make an old school game, you might as well deck it out with endless detail. Expand
  45. May 16, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock delivers in spades with absolutely beautiful graphics, rich atmosphere, great monster design and a simple, but rather forgettable story. The combat is satisfying, but challenging; spotted with brain-teasing puzzles, tons of secrets to unearth, strategic but simple leveling and inventory systems and huge underground levels to explore, LoG was a blast to complete in 22.3h.Legend of Grimrock delivers in spades with absolutely beautiful graphics, rich atmosphere, great monster design and a simple, but rather forgettable story. The combat is satisfying, but challenging; spotted with brain-teasing puzzles, tons of secrets to unearth, strategic but simple leveling and inventory systems and huge underground levels to explore, LoG was a blast to complete in 22.3h. Being an avid gamer hardened my contention with poor interfaces, but others may not be as blessed: The lack of a "cast last spell" key/button meant combinations had to be punched in every few seconds in combat, spotting secret switches is a tedious chore, and the absence of a mini-map made frequent runs to the health crystal more tedious than it should. Last, some items do not stack which caused some unnecessary inventory clogs. Personally, these flaws added a certain old-school style of charm, since interfaces were not as refined in the 80's and 90's. Overall, Legend of Grimrock is an amazing game for those who love a good old dungeon romp. Highly recommended due to its rich atmosphere, challenging combat and rewarding puzzles. Expand
  46. Jul 11, 2014
    OMG this old school style game should come across as total pants by todays standards when comparing it too modern RPGs. Weird thing that this old school style totally works in LoG . Took 20 hours to beat this awesome Deathtrap Dungeon Crawler. This game kept me guessing right up till the end. I would have never ever even in my wildest dreams suspected I would face "THAT"!
  47. Jul 1, 2012
    Loved it, an ohmage to a classic style of video game. It's difficult at points but fun gfx are nice, gameplay is good, lots of replay ability. A well done tribute to a game style long gone.
  48. Nov 27, 2012
    Great game,reminds me of when I used to play Dungeon Master and all the other gems.Magic could do with a bit of work,and sometimes you do become slightly outnumbered in combat, which can be a bit of a downside to the game.Overall fun,addictive,well designed and well worth a sequel in my book.
  49. Jan 30, 2014
    Well this game is really great remake of the dungeon master. Puzzles are fun and monsters are just great. Magic system is way simplified in compare to DM, but still nice. Mine only complain is that this game is not as good as DM 2. No traders and advanced spells like that floating lighting ball robot, or outside areas. What i really like is character creation and more advanced RPG system.Well this game is really great remake of the dungeon master. Puzzles are fun and monsters are just great. Magic system is way simplified in compare to DM, but still nice. Mine only complain is that this game is not as good as DM 2. No traders and advanced spells like that floating lighting ball robot, or outside areas. What i really like is character creation and more advanced RPG system. Grimrock is really great game and i must recommend it to everyone who like dungeons. Expand
  50. Oct 11, 2012
    As an older gamer this review is quickly done. I you liked the Eye of the Beholder series (especially Eye of the Beholder II: Legend of Darkmoon) or the first Lands of Lore... just go buy it. Fighting and puzzles just like in the old days, but with good looking graphics and a not overused 3D engine.

Recently Steam Workshop support was added and development tools got released, so watch out for new dungeons, puzzles and fights.
  51. Nov 4, 2012
    Reminiscent of the early 90's dungeon crawlers, where your adventure always feels like a struggle and the dungeons traps and mazes are an actual challenge. This game does not hold your hand and does not give you a prolonged tutorial or throws expendable characters in your face, instead it's just your party and the quiet rumbling of the dungeon for you to discover.

Combined with superb

Combined with superb texture quality and sound assets the game really makes you feel like just another prisoner in a maze of a dungeon.
  52. Nov 14, 2012
    A throwback to another age of PC gaming mixed with modern mechanics. This game is highly enjoyable and now with Steam Workshop opens the game up to a long shelf life. Give it a go.
  53. Dec 2, 2013
    Maybe the best game i played in the last 3 years. It's old schooled eye of the beholder-like. I want the android version, please.

I'm seriously waiting for the second part. And I want some healing spells.
  54. Dec 5, 2012
    Great nostalgic game. This will bring back memories for older gamers, and make memories for younger gamers. A must buy for anyone who enjoys a challenge.
  55. Dec 16, 2012
    This is a great remake of old school dungeon crawler games. Everything is very true to classics like Dungeon Master, including controls, movement and combat. Just the graphics is modern (and very well done). This game is clearly intended for older gamers familiar with these classics. Younger people used to modern games are less likely to appreciate grid-style movement and clicky,This is a great remake of old school dungeon crawler games. Everything is very true to classics like Dungeon Master, including controls, movement and combat. Just the graphics is modern (and very well done). This game is clearly intended for older gamers familiar with these classics. Younger people used to modern games are less likely to appreciate grid-style movement and clicky, error-prone combat controls. Overall, a superb game but not for everyone. Expand
  56. Dec 21, 2012
    Its a hard game, but those are always the best. You don't want games you can beat first time through and take only a few hours. Legend of Grimrock is full of mystery, puzzles, and sometimes even scares.

Another thing i loved about this game is customization. I usually spend like 30 mins putting my squad together perfectly. I suggest this game as a great Christmas gift (posted December 22nd)
  57. Dec 24, 2012
    Blast from the past. Simple-to-play game but still has plenty of depth. Stay away if you're looking for a action/JRPG type of game. Value also reflected on the game score.
  58. Jan 10, 2013
    This was the game that reminded me of those games my brother and I played in the 80's on our PCjr. Wizardy, Bards Tale, Might&Magic, etc. Those of you that remember will know exactly what I'm talking about. The puzzles, beasts, and dungeon are all top notch. It was nice to get away from all the over the top 3d imagery and explosions of today. My brother, sadly, passed away this summerThis was the game that reminded me of those games my brother and I played in the 80's on our PCjr. Wizardy, Bards Tale, Might&Magic, etc. Those of you that remember will know exactly what I'm talking about. The puzzles, beasts, and dungeon are all top notch. It was nice to get away from all the over the top 3d imagery and explosions of today. My brother, sadly, passed away this summer so I played this game for him. He would have been glued to his computer if he were still alive. My only negative, and it's not really a negative, was the ending. Thanks Almost Human crew!!! I'm ready for another. Expand
  59. Mar 7, 2013
    My first gaming love was Dungeon Master. Legend of Grimrock is basically an updated version. Explore the dungeon, solve puzzles and level up your characters. Whats not to like. The only reason its a 9 and not a 10 is that i completed it fairly quickly. Can't wait for more dungeons to crawl through!
  60. Apr 11, 2013
    Graphics: 9/10 Nicely bump mapped high-resolution textures. Lighting and shadow work are fantastic. Loses one point for not having more variety between tiles (vs same thing every single tile). Overall quite aesthetically pleasing.
    Gameplay: 10/10 Excellent balance between fighting mobs, and solving puzzles. Nothing too complex puzzle-wise, and it the puzzles make sense (vs some point and click games of yonder).
    Controls: 8/10 Rudimentary 90-degree turning system is used for controls, which some may not like (and others may become quite dizzy because of!). However most can get used to them. They also offer "mouselook" (hold right-click to pan into a new direction). An alternative method (albeit less practical), which can help with this. The system does work in terms of gameplay, in which, you can avoid enemy attacks, by moving to a diagonal block away from the enemy.
    Audio: 7/10 Good atmosphere and mood. Enemy sounds are also good. However it really misses out having no real music (but the benefit to this is you can play your own whilst playing).
    Multiplayer: NA
    Replay-value 10/10 The single player alone has room for playing it again (finding all secrets, getting all items/achievements, trying different builds). Where it really shines is not only providing access to a level-editor, it's featured in Valve's latest, Steam Workshop. New content for (at least) months, if not years to come.
    Overall 9/10 Almost Perfect
  61. Apr 9, 2013
    Captures all that is good of the old-school RPGs. It got also got graphic and an awesome soundtrack! It has also map editing that you can get from steam if you want another map to play on, and for such a low price, you should get it!
  62. Nov 24, 2014
    Great game that looks and plays a whole lot like the good old Dungeon Master. It features a skill system instead of the learn by use method in the original game which is a little different but still work fine. You also need ingredients now to create potions rather than just a spell filling a vial which limits the use of potions. Other than that most mechanics work just like in DungeonGreat game that looks and plays a whole lot like the good old Dungeon Master. It features a skill system instead of the learn by use method in the original game which is a little different but still work fine. You also need ingredients now to create potions rather than just a spell filling a vial which limits the use of potions. Other than that most mechanics work just like in Dungeon Master which means lots of puzzles that require thinking, observation and timing, lots of tunnels to explore and secrets to find and figuring out different ways to deal with monsters. If you loved Dungeon Master 25 years ago then Legend of Grimrock will get you hooked once again, no question about that. Also available DRM free for both PC and Mac! Expand
  63. Jan 29, 2014
    Имхо, лучшая игра олд-скул жанра. Идеальный баланс сложных квестов, прокачки персонажей и боёв с монстрами
  64. Aug 30, 2013
    A good-looking dungeoncrawler with replayability and an intriguing story. The story is not a big thing in the game but it still hooks you. The combat is in real-time and quite fun. Its not overly complex but you have to be careful. The focus in the game though is in its puzzles. The puzzles are hard, some very hard and there is plenty of secret rooms and items to find in your exploration.A good-looking dungeoncrawler with replayability and an intriguing story. The story is not a big thing in the game but it still hooks you. The combat is in real-time and quite fun. Its not overly complex but you have to be careful. The focus in the game though is in its puzzles. The puzzles are hard, some very hard and there is plenty of secret rooms and items to find in your exploration. If you decide to try this game my biggest tip is to not look the puzzles up. The feeling when you finally crack it is worth its time and you will crack it eventually. Expand
  65. Sep 2, 2013
    It`s a great game! Although I haven`t played any dungeon crawlers before, it was a lot of fun. An inventive magic system, real-time (but still tactical) fights, ingenious riddles and secrets, and steam workshop with ample dungeons. Why not 10? Textures and monsters are quite repetitive, and there is a small delay between pressing the button and game`s reaction, which is irritating when itIt`s a great game! Although I haven`t played any dungeon crawlers before, it was a lot of fun. An inventive magic system, real-time (but still tactical) fights, ingenious riddles and secrets, and steam workshop with ample dungeons. Why not 10? Textures and monsters are quite repetitive, and there is a small delay between pressing the button and game`s reaction, which is irritating when it comes to some riddles. Expand
  66. Sep 7, 2013
    Legend of Grimrock is an RPG inspired by oldschool games in the genre and in particular the Eye of the Beholder games. While it gets many things right it also has what in my mind is a major flaw, the combat system, which is one of the most important things in a game like this. But the good things first. Graphics are unusually good for a RPG of this kind, but still true to the oldschoolLegend of Grimrock is an RPG inspired by oldschool games in the genre and in particular the Eye of the Beholder games. While it gets many things right it also has what in my mind is a major flaw, the combat system, which is one of the most important things in a game like this. But the good things first. Graphics are unusually good for a RPG of this kind, but still true to the oldschool origins of the game. Level design is in general good with some puzzles to solve, optional challenges to get powerful weapons and other goodies and traps where you can for example suddenly find you closed in inside a small room together with a couple of monsters.

Sound effects and music are adequate but nothing special.

The story of the game is nothing special, you have been thrown into a dungeon and you have to escape. You also have dreams giving hints about what is to come, but none of this is very interesting, the story is not the reason why you want to keep playing the game.

The main weakness of the game is the combat system, which relies on fast reflexes more than anything else. Any combat against any enemy which can only use melee attacks can be won by attacking, moving away before the enemy can attack, waiting until the enemy moves in front of you, attacking again and so on. The strategy is simply to move around in a circle and attack at the right times and with this simple strategy, if well executed (i.e. if your reflexes are good enough) any enemy can be beaten without getting hurt no matter how strong the enemy or how weak your characters. If there is more than one enemy to fight at the same time, the enemy has ranged attacks or there is no room to move around in a circle things are slightly more complicated but it is still mainly about having good reflexes. This means that giving your characters good skills and making use of the right skills at the right time just makes battles shorter, not really easier, which makes leveling up less fun. This problem was to some extent already there in the classics that this game is based on, but it is more of a problem here becausse of the faster pace of the game.

Also, the skills you can choose from are not very varied. In particular magic is almost all about doing damage from a distance and it does not matter much which elemental school you choose to specialise in since they all have basically equivalent spells. Still, even though this is as much an action game as it is an RPG it is still fun enough that I found it worth playing to the end. It just didn't appeal much to the oldschool RPG lover in me liked it promised to do.
  67. Sep 30, 2013
    Great game, I really love games that are exactly what they say they are. Fun game and such and such, if your in the mood for a nice little classic RPG then here ya go, It'll fill that little empty spot in you better than any male pornstar
  68. Oct 11, 2013
    Legend of Grimrock is a pretty good game. I've just finished it, and I feel like money weren't
    spent in vain. The challenge level is just right, most puzzles are not dumb, nor too difficult to
    solve. People complain here about controls. May be they are right, it was a pain sometimes, but for some reason I think that this game wasn't that good with more comfortable combat. Look, there
    for some reason I think that this game wasn't that good with more comfortable combat. Look, there is this aura of despair, food is.....bugs, first armor is sandals and weapon stones and knives. So, this controls issue adds up somehow. In my opinion.

The only problem with this game is replay value. Well, it's like in quests, the minute you know solution the reason to play another run disappears.
    Solid 9
  69. Jul 31, 2014
    Excellent oldschool dungeon crawler with modern visual overlay full of stale atmosphere, hardcore difficulty and intelligent puzzles. It took my by surprise and then it took my breath away, I was just eating it all the way through, if you liked classic dungeons ala Eye Of The Beholder, Ishar, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic or Lands of Lore, you're gonna love this piece and if you just wantExcellent oldschool dungeon crawler with modern visual overlay full of stale atmosphere, hardcore difficulty and intelligent puzzles. It took my by surprise and then it took my breath away, I was just eating it all the way through, if you liked classic dungeons ala Eye Of The Beholder, Ishar, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic or Lands of Lore, you're gonna love this piece and if you just want to try out the old style of gaming, this is a great way to try it out. I love the fact that games like this are being made today and I was ready to give this a full score, but that ending, oh man, that ending was really disappointing. 9/10 Expand
  70. Feb 4, 2014
    I bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want toI bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want to force you to move strategically and use your environment to your advantage. They don't want you to stand in front of a monster and just hit buttons. Same with magic, they don't want you just to be able to spam fireballs, there is a penalty for setting up and using spells.
    I hope this is the start of an old school revolution in gaming.
    No game is perfect, but this is exactly the type of game I have been waiting for.
  71. Nov 1, 2014
    Very good game, done everything there was to do, got all achievements, and still liked the game.

This game gives you the old school feeling, including the toughness needed to beat the game, lol

Lost 1 point due to the horrible battle system, there is this "cool down" system that makes you move around like a retard to avoid being hit while waiting for your attack to recharge.
  72. Jul 7, 2014
    - I really could become nostalgic about this one... Eye of the Beholder and Might and Magic incoming!
    Negative: - Spellsystem is really annoying to manage - Inventory becomes cluttered too fast. - Some riddles are too much trial and error for my taste.. and have insane amount of steps to memorize. Fazit Must buy for "classic" dungeon crawler fans which want to draw

- Spellsystem is really annoying to manage
    - Inventory becomes cluttered too fast.

Fazit
    Must buy for "classic" dungeon crawler fans which want to draw their own map again. Everyone else - you might want to stick with Witcher or Deus Ex for a polished RPG experience.
  73. Jul 27, 2014
    I had played this game for a bit in the past, less then a few minutes because I could never figure out how combat worked and would always get killed off from the snail. Then the other night I started it up again and tried playing once more not expecting to get far or play to long. However I found myself playing for over an hour and was able to figure out what I couldn't before, so here isI had played this game for a bit in the past, less then a few minutes because I could never figure out how combat worked and would always get killed off from the snail. Then the other night I started it up again and tried playing once more not expecting to get far or play to long. However I found myself playing for over an hour and was able to figure out what I couldn't before, so here is my review on a very awesome game.

The Legend of Grimrock, a game I bought on Steam a couple years ago during the 2012 summer sale event made by Almost Human Games[www.grimrock.net].

The game is an old school RPG that is not turn based but live action. In other words you are able to move, cast spells, select items from your inventory and rest without waiting for creatures to take their turn. As your trying to get your spell cast or looking for a throwing item in your inventory the creature will be attacking you and won't sit there and wait till your done.

I really found this game to have that pen and paper D&D feel to it and I like the idea of selecting the option to not have the game do the mapping as I explore and then I can map it out with graph paper and a pencil (I didn't do this of course).

The character creation screen is very simple with 4 races and 3 classes to choose from. The inventory and character screen isn't complex or confusing but very intuitive and easy to figure out and understand.

The spell's though are based on symbols and you have to select the right symbols or combination of to cast the spell. I found that you couldn't get the spell unless you found the scroll for the right spell but this could have been because I wasn't selecting the right symbol until I found the scroll.

When venturing through the dungeon your characters will get hungry and there will be a symbol of food in there avatar picture indicating they need to eat. When you kill of creatures they will sometimes leave a meat chunk behind and you will want to get these to eat along with any food things you find along the way.

During combat along the way some of your party member may die, take heart because they are not gone for good. You will be able to access their inventory while dead to. There will be these big blue floating crystals that when touched will restore your party to full health and energy and raid the dead. Remember where these ones are. Once they are used you will have to wait for a bit till it can be clicked on again.

Now as for combat, where I originally had most of my troubles. To attack all you need simply do is right click on your hand under your avatar (wither their is a weapon in it or not). If your a spell caster you will want to keep at least one hand empty for right clicking to bring up the symbol window for spell casting.

When you left click on a throwing weapon it will be attached to your mouse cursor and if you click with it again with your mouse pointer above the midline of the screen (the top half of the window) then it will be thrown. If you click below the midline (bottom half of the screen) then it get dropped on the floor.

This is a keyboard and mouse type game and no controller support.

Now that I have been able to find out something about the game and how combat works, along with the abilities to make your own dungeon's and storyline and the Steam Workshop to try some community based dungeons, The Legend of Grimrock is one game to have in your collection. Its worth a play!
  74. Oct 5, 2014
    NO, this is -NOT- RPG. This is a super-repeating-to-death-pixel-hunting puzzle game. Stay away from this if you want to play an RPG.

This is not Bard's Tale, Wizardry or Might and Magic, like it claims to be. It is just a poor pathfinding puzzle game. Its stat/skill system and combat mechanics are broken and just don't work as they are supposed to be.

This is not Bard's Tale, Wizardry or Might and Magic, like it claims to be.
    It is just a poor pathfinding puzzle game.

All you do is strafing and kiting the enemies by tile, then mindlessly walking back and forth pressing stupid plates and torturing your eyes to find random switches on the ever-same-looking walls, all the way through the day and night.

And am I supposed to have fun doing that crap? HELL NO.

If I wanted an action adventure, I would play a real one like BioShock, not this boring pseudo-action game riddled with god-awful puzzles.
  75. Nov 12, 2014
    I really wanted to give this game a shot. I managed to beat a few levels, and then I realized this game didn't really give me any satisfaction. It's basically a tedious venture through a linear dungeon filled with uninteresting monsters, mediocre puzzles and no backstory. Don't get me wrong now, I really love a good dungeon crawler. Sevral months back I finished M&MX which I foundI really wanted to give this game a shot. I managed to beat a few levels, and then I realized this game didn't really give me any satisfaction. It's basically a tedious venture through a linear dungeon filled with uninteresting monsters, mediocre puzzles and no backstory. Don't get me wrong now, I really love a good dungeon crawler. Sevral months back I finished M&MX which I found incredibly addicting, but here... The small things I found annoying the most. Things like real-time combat which was made to be turn-based. Like potion making - very unintuitive. Like using spells, where you have to create a rune combo each time you want to cast a damn fireball. All-in-all, it turned out to be a game for a real die-hard Eye of the Beholder, Black Crypt and Lands of Lore fans. Expand
  76. Jul 13, 2013

1. Jun 13, 2012
    A relic of the RPG's golden era, revived and refined for the modern age. [July 2012, p.71]
  2. May 30, 2012
    Classic dungeon-crawling brought back to life. [June 2012, p.52]
  3. May 28, 2012
    A delightfully nostalgic, but harsh, RPG treat, oozing old school charm. [July 2012, p.90]