8.1

1. Jul 31, 2014
    Excellent oldschool dungeon crawler with modern visual overlay full of stale atmosphere, hardcore difficulty and intelligent puzzles. It took my by surprise and then it took my breath away, I was just eating it all the way through, if you liked classic dungeons ala Eye Of The Beholder, Ishar, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic or Lands of Lore, you're gonna love this piece and if you just wantExcellent oldschool dungeon crawler with modern visual overlay full of stale atmosphere, hardcore difficulty and intelligent puzzles. It took my by surprise and then it took my breath away, I was just eating it all the way through, if you liked classic dungeons ala Eye Of The Beholder, Ishar, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic or Lands of Lore, you're gonna love this piece and if you just want to try out the old style of gaming, this is a great way to try it out. I love the fact that games like this are being made today and I was ready to give this a full score, but that ending, oh man, that ending was really disappointing. 9/10 Expand
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    A throwback to another age of PC gaming mixed with modern mechanics. This game is highly enjoyable and now with Steam Workshop opens the game up to a long shelf life. Give it a go.
  3. May 24, 2013
    Aaah! Now there is a good Dungeon Crawler! Really Liked this game. Played about 20 hours. Enjoyed. Few major dislikes: 1. I want ability of turn-based RPG (not digging the click-on-hero type of attack at all!), 2. Becomes a little too repetitive on the 20th hour of game-play, given of course identical graphics and similar mazes (obviously). Other than that the game possessesAaah! Now there is a good Dungeon Crawler! Really Liked this game. Played about 20 hours. Enjoyed. Few major dislikes: 1. I want ability of turn-based RPG (not digging the click-on-hero type of attack at all!), 2. Becomes a little too repetitive on the 20th hour of game-play, given of course identical graphics and similar mazes (obviously). Other than that the game possesses character, fun to play, has a built-in dungeon editor and something that's called Classic Mode (if i remember correctly) which sets you down with pencil and paper as in classical D&D Board Game i guess (i am yet to try it). To all the lovers of Wizardry and RPG's must try! Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is an old school dungeon crawler straight to its core - you are basically thrust in a labyrinthine dungeon with no help, no equipment, and only your wits to rely on to make it out alive. Your hand will not be held and may in fact be smacked a couple of times. Honestly, this kind of game is refreshing in this age of 'tap X repeatedly' QTEs and objective markers. TheLegend of Grimrock is an old school dungeon crawler straight to its core - you are basically thrust in a labyrinthine dungeon with no help, no equipment, and only your wits to rely on to make it out alive. Your hand will not be held and may in fact be smacked a couple of times. Honestly, this kind of game is refreshing in this age of 'tap X repeatedly' QTEs and objective markers. The only complaint I can really dredge up is that the controls are a bit clunky and combat may take some getting used to. Even then the game is really engaging, and totally worth the bargain bin level price of admission. Expand
  5. Jan 30, 2014
    Well this game is really great remake of the dungeon master. Puzzles are fun and monsters are just great. Magic system is way simplified in compare to DM, but still nice. Mine only complain is that this game is not as good as DM 2. No traders and advanced spells like that floating lighting ball robot, or outside areas. What i really like is character creation and more advanced RPG system.Well this game is really great remake of the dungeon master. Puzzles are fun and monsters are just great. Magic system is way simplified in compare to DM, but still nice. Mine only complain is that this game is not as good as DM 2. No traders and advanced spells like that floating lighting ball robot, or outside areas. What i really like is character creation and more advanced RPG system. Grimrock is really great game and i must recommend it to everyone who like dungeons. Expand
  6. Sep 13, 2013
    A modern day resurrection of a classic formula, Legend of Grimrock captures the exploration and puzzle-goodness of classic dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. A few interface issues (tedious spell casting, poor visual clues concerning which of your four characters are hitting or missing) and an over-reliance on puzzles in lieu of a plot (there are literally zeroA modern day resurrection of a classic formula, Legend of Grimrock captures the exploration and puzzle-goodness of classic dungeon crawlers like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master. A few interface issues (tedious spell casting, poor visual clues concerning which of your four characters are hitting or missing) and an over-reliance on puzzles in lieu of a plot (there are literally zero NPCs to speak to, only monsters to kill) hold it back a bit. But for a first entry into what could become a great series (just needs more plot, character development, and RPG elements), Legend of Grimrock has promise. Overall a fun and fairly-priced game. Go get it. Expand
  7. Apr 13, 2012
    If the phrases "Eye of the Beholder" or "Dungeon Master" mean something to you, then this is a must. I've been playing it for two continuous days now and apart from being nostalgic, it's fun, full of puzzles and has a very nice spell system. OK, it's not super 3D or anything similar, but I really - really like it (and it's price too...).
  8. Dec 8, 2012
    OMG! Dungeon Master resurrected! Can't stop playing now! So far, excellent! Is also now part of the Steam Workshop so replay value has greatly improved with people all around the world submitting their dungeons.
  9. May 9, 2012
    As an oldschool PC player in the age of console ports, this game made me feel home, I loved it! And the execution is really outstanding, it mixes best parts of the classic and modern gaming, a masterpiece.
  10. Aug 18, 2012
    It's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoilIt's really unfortunate that one can't doesn't get enough XP to max. out more than one skill in this game. I invested in two skills with all my characters and didn't get to max out a single one, even if I put more emphasis on it than on the other. Also, I can't say that I enjoyed the twist in the story. Not because there was a twist but simply the overall theme of it (I don't want to spoil anything by going into detail). I generally don't like that kind of stuff, so that was very disappointing for me.
    It also seems that one doesn't get anything for collecting certain things throughout the dungeon. Nothing unlocked, no special artwork, not even a text mentioning how awesome you are. I guess they're just there for achievements.
    Aside from these things, I've thoroughly enjoyed this adventure though. And at ~15 hours pretty lengthy too (especially considering the price).
  11. Jun 17, 2012
    I guess I need to be of a certain age to really appreciate this game, which really is the reason why I'm giving this two stars less. I'm a 1994-er whose gaming world was mostly made up of Pokemon, Pikmin and Legends of Zelda, so I never experienced those wonderful dungeon-crawling games every fan of this game seems to speak so fondly of. I was looking forward to this game a great deal, asI guess I need to be of a certain age to really appreciate this game, which really is the reason why I'm giving this two stars less. I'm a 1994-er whose gaming world was mostly made up of Pokemon, Pikmin and Legends of Zelda, so I never experienced those wonderful dungeon-crawling games every fan of this game seems to speak so fondly of. I was looking forward to this game a great deal, as it looked unlike anything I've experienced before. And it is. It's a new and fresh, rather than nostalgic, experience for me. Choosing your own characters is a great feature, and it's even better that you get to choose their stats and traits. However, the bad thing is that if you choose the wrong stats you end up with a very unsuitable party to play the game all the way through, and it often amounts to starting over and over and over until you create the ideal setup, which is tedious. The game's also very hard - and I mean very very, old-school-nintendo-pop-in-another-token-and-try-again hard, so expect a lot of "GAME OVER"s being thrown in your face. Stylistically, the game's very strictly Traditional High Fantasy, and the game's name is so stereotypically geeky that I doubt anyone will be finding any girlfriends through playing it. This isn't exactly a bad thing, I guess I just sort of expected something more...subversive. Overall, I think this game tries to appeal a bit too much to the old '90s gaming veterans and not to the younger set, who come from a completely different gaming background. It's old-fashioned and not very adaptable. I think it'd benefit most from adding a difficulty setting that determined the challenge of the puzzles rather than just the toughness of the enemies. Expand
  12. Dec 1, 2012
    This game is extremely fun. I am not an "oldschool gamer" per se. So I wasn't really aware of dungeon crawlers. But this game was just great. The tiles-based system and thus the unique combat system felt awkward at first but I got used to it fast. The story was good, I loved reading the notes and hints that prisoners before me left me. There are many secrets and puzzles. Most puzzles feltThis game is extremely fun. I am not an "oldschool gamer" per se. So I wasn't really aware of dungeon crawlers. But this game was just great. The tiles-based system and thus the unique combat system felt awkward at first but I got used to it fast. The story was good, I loved reading the notes and hints that prisoners before me left me. There are many secrets and puzzles. Most puzzles felt really rewarding to solve, others had me totally confused (especially some of the teleportpuzzles) but overall they were great. Playtime was 19 hours for me on my first playthrough while consulting a walkthrough 2 or 3 times. Replayability seems to be strong, i can't wait to start a new game and find all the missed treasures and secrets and try a totally different groupcombo with different skillsets and weapons. On the downsite, I didn't like the last level very much, it felt hectic and unnecessary. the bossfight felt unsatisfying and annoying with many monsters constantly blocking you. Overall it is a great title for an amazing price. 8/10 Expand
  13. Apr 24, 2012
    Chock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics lookChock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics look fantastic and set the mood really well. You never know what's around the next corner, but the great sound effects of enemies moving can give you a hint. The campaign that comes with the game is fairly long, taking 10-15 hours if you rush though, but it can be much longer than that if you take your time. Also, the devs are working on a level editor which will allow the community to make an almost endless amount of new content. Expand
  14. May 16, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock delivers in spades with absolutely beautiful graphics, rich atmosphere, great monster design and a simple, but rather forgettable story. The combat is satisfying, but challenging; spotted with brain-teasing puzzles, tons of secrets to unearth, strategic but simple leveling and inventory systems and huge underground levels to explore, LoG was a blast to complete in 22.3h.Legend of Grimrock delivers in spades with absolutely beautiful graphics, rich atmosphere, great monster design and a simple, but rather forgettable story. The combat is satisfying, but challenging; spotted with brain-teasing puzzles, tons of secrets to unearth, strategic but simple leveling and inventory systems and huge underground levels to explore, LoG was a blast to complete in 22.3h. Being an avid gamer hardened my contention with poor interfaces, but others may not be as blessed: The lack of a "cast last spell" key/button meant combinations had to be punched in every few seconds in combat, spotting secret switches is a tedious chore, and the absence of a mini-map made frequent runs to the health crystal more tedious than it should. Last, some items do not stack which caused some unnecessary inventory clogs. Personally, these flaws added a certain old-school style of charm, since interfaces were not as refined in the 80's and 90's. Overall, Legend of Grimrock is an amazing game for those who love a good old dungeon romp. Highly recommended due to its rich atmosphere, challenging combat and rewarding puzzles. Expand
  15. Jul 14, 2012
    Bought the game after my brothers recommendation, not expecting much, but holy **** I was surprised by how much fun I'm having with this one. It's definetly an old school RPG, with rooms and corridors and going into keeper and deeper levels of the dungeon. You get four characters in your party, four races to choose from, and the three classic classes, fighter, mage and rouge. You never getBought the game after my brothers recommendation, not expecting much, but holy **** I was surprised by how much fun I'm having with this one. It's definetly an old school RPG, with rooms and corridors and going into keeper and deeper levels of the dungeon. You get four characters in your party, four races to choose from, and the three classic classes, fighter, mage and rouge. You never get to see your characters, and you all only take up one space, so all of your guys are working together as a unit, though individuals can still die if you don't watch what you're doing.. You can also pick custom character portraits for them, which make it a lot of fun if you make up your team from your friends. The combat's pretty sweet and the puzzles are good enough to be fun and not frustrating, and some pretty interesting **** happens at around level 5, if you're paying attention. Pick this one up.

Soon there's gonna be a map editor, so we can make our own sweet dungeons. I was also slightly surprised to see that levels aren't randomly generated, that would have been awesome.
  16. Apr 13, 2012
    Outstanding! My favourite Genre from 20 years ago updated with beautiful HD graphics, and they havent dumbed anything down! Very indepth, fairly hard, exploration is a dream, combat fun, the mechanics behind it are very solid. Can't recommend this one enough, especially at such a low price!! GET THIS GAME!
  17. Mar 18, 2014
    This is kind of like visiting the old Eye of the Beholder games which I thought wouldn't work because of the static feel of the playing style. However, I was wrong. It's still fun, great fun. The game itself has a few flaws and the ending is fairly weak and abrupt but overall, this is nostalgia when it works!
  18. May 1, 2012
    Dungeon Master is one of my all time favourites so this close homage was bound to resonate with me. But it's so much better than I hoped and represents fantastic value for money into the bargain. A triumph for indie games given that it appears to have been created entirely by a team 4.
  19. Apr 20, 2012
    Despite what others might say, a fantastic value at 14$, with the promise of user mod content and new campaigns I find it a striking value for dungeon crawl enthusiasts.

I would suggest however purchasing from GoG where you receive a DRM-free standalone as opposed to the steam version. On to the game itself; BORDERLESS WINDOWS!, absolutely necessarily in any game for those who use dual

On to the game itself; BORDERLESS WINDOWS!, absolutely necessarily in any game for those who use dual monitors and is a simple toggle in the game. It's nice to see a relatively low budget game run naively in a borderless window at 1080p. Some AAA games don't even have that feature.

The gameplay revolves around puzzle solving and dungeon fighting, kind-of like a real time turnbased game if that makes sense.
    It brings fond memories of tabletop games like D&D, take a look at some of the excellent video walkthroughs to see if its a game you would buy though, as it is not for everyone.
  20. Apr 11, 2012
    Excellent "blast from the past" dungeon crawl. Great atmospherics, easy inventory management and fun, but not irritating puzzles. I forgot how much I enjoyed this type of a game. Really a gem, especially in the under $15 category. Highly recommended, especially for those who long for the old great Bard's Tale, Ultima, Dungeon Master type games.
  21. Apr 13, 2012
    This game throws back to the old days of dungeon crawlers such as dungeon master, while playing in real time, instead of turn based. I have never played these classics, but I now see why people did. This game is one of the best modern RPGs ever made, alongside others such as skyrim, Dark Souls and Mass Effect 2. The game is incredibly immersive and lonely, and doesn't hold your handThis game throws back to the old days of dungeon crawlers such as dungeon master, while playing in real time, instead of turn based. I have never played these classics, but I now see why people did. This game is one of the best modern RPGs ever made, alongside others such as skyrim, Dark Souls and Mass Effect 2. The game is incredibly immersive and lonely, and doesn't hold your hand throughout.

The tactic known as "chessing" where you move arround a enemy before he can turn and hit you is incredibly effective, and the developer knew people would use it, so as you play, the dungeons make this tactic more and more dangerous and require more concentration, with exceptions such as when you fight your first ogre. To improve the immersion, you also cant tell how much health your enemy has or how injured they are.

The game then gives some of the well balanced puzzles ever made, perfectly balancing coolness with difficultly.

The game is filled with secrets, often these can be as simple as a secret button made to look like a brick, other times it can be a bit more complex, but never insane, for eg, one puzzle requires finding a secret button, running a fair distance over some trapdoors which are timed to stay up for but a few seconds after hitting the secret button, then you run over them, hit a button, run to a now open trapdoor trap and jump inside to find a key to put in another keyhole to open a door which gives an item.

The game gives a good steady progression without giving the chance to grind, only 1 point of the entire game do enemies respawn, and these enemies give little xp, and are required for a puzzle. The graphics are suburb for a indie game, although it would be nice if so many walls did not have exactly the same moss placement and if there were more hidden button areas in walls, insread of 2 for every floor type. The game as many enemies, from the lowly giant snail or flying...thing, to the ogre and magical fire guardian, the monsters never feel repetive. Before you buy this game, while it is not unfairly hard, and generally only unfair if you placed yourself in a strategicly bad position, the game is NOT easy, and it requires thinking in order to survive grimrock mountain. Last but not least, this game is at least 13+ hours as i have played for 10 and not seen a few of the monsters seen in the trailer yet, but eventually a level editor and more dungeons will be released.

This game is a must have game, and i hope the developer makes more games, because only the best developers can make a high grade rpg game when they are only 1 man.
  22. Apr 23, 2012
    For what it is, it is a solid dungeon crawler with very well laid out puzzles and little hidden areas in the nooks and crannys of the dungeon. It just leaves a few things out that I think would make the game more enjoyable or more likely for me to play it through again.
  23. Apr 17, 2012
    This game is perfect. No, I insist, it *IS* perfect. It is not skyrim or Battlefield 3. It is an old-style dungeon crawler and it is extremely good at what it does. It takes a LOT for a single-player game to grab and keep my attention. This one achieves that, hour after hour. I'm 12 hours in and I know I'll want to start it all over again once I'm done my first playthrough.

Grimrock's

Grimrock's gameplay is very simple. You are stuck in a dungeon and you need to get out through the bottom. Puzzles and combat are your main focuses during the game, and you have loot, inventories and skills to manage. The graphics are very good, the audio too. And the game is F-U-N. There are no bugs that I can tell, either. So, to sum up: A very fun game with no bugs that looks and plays great. Where's the downside? Right, there is none. It would get a 9.5 because of its un-innovative nature, but who cares, this game IS an old-style dungeon crawler. And possibly the best ever.
  24. Jul 14, 2013
    It's an example of a classic game done right. You'll be silently creeping through a tunnel one minute, battling some furious creature the next, and then solving a puzzle using only the clues printed on the wall, and your own mind. This game does require patience, and it definitely isn't all non-stop action, but it's a game that's made really well and feels polished. Overall, I had a lot ofIt's an example of a classic game done right. You'll be silently creeping through a tunnel one minute, battling some furious creature the next, and then solving a puzzle using only the clues printed on the wall, and your own mind. This game does require patience, and it definitely isn't all non-stop action, but it's a game that's made really well and feels polished. Overall, I had a lot of fun exploring these vast dungeons. Expand
  25. May 9, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is a classic-style dungeon crawler along the lines of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. You control a part of four characters and work your way through the levels of the game fighting monsters, solving riddles and exploring. The riddles are absolutely amazing - they dare challenge the player, and not just for finding secrets or such - if you want to get through theLegend of Grimrock is a classic-style dungeon crawler along the lines of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. You control a part of four characters and work your way through the levels of the game fighting monsters, solving riddles and exploring. The riddles are absolutely amazing - they dare challenge the player, and not just for finding secrets or such - if you want to get through the main story you will actually have to solve some pretty challenging ones.

In some aspects LoG has a better design than the old games it's based on. For instance having a lifestone in each level that will revive any dead characters means that you have to load your game when your last character dies, not the first one. The classes also offer you a wide range of options for specializing your character. Also LoG has the best alchemy game play I've ever seen. When you drink a potion you end up with an empty bottle. Then you can put something new in it and you'll have a new potion. The amounts of bottles you find determines the total number of brewed potions you can have at any particular time, not the total number you can expend during the game. Makes potions much more usable. The magic system is rather badly implemented though. Casting a fireball is a five click operation. First you have to open the spell interface, then click the three runes constituting a fireball and then click the "cast" button. In comparison swinging an axe is a one-click operation, which makes magic a bit useless. Why the spell interface isn't linked up to the num-pad is odd - it has the same shape and seems to be designed for that.

Combat works fine - some people seem to dislike the harder fights where you actually have to dodge around the enemies, slam doors in their faces, lure them into traps and jump on top of them through pits in the floor. I, however, found that very entertaining and I doubt my interest in the game would've been as high if you could just stand-and-fight every battle in the game.

In conclusion Legends of Grimrock is an absolutely fantastic game. There are no bugs, very few annoyances, lots and challenge, pretty graphics and I had a very hard time putting this game down before I got through it. I consider it worth every cent, and if the magic interface gets fixed I'll up the score to 10.
  26. Feb 4, 2014
    I bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want toI bought Bard's Tale so I could play the original Tales of the Unknown. That was a masterpiece and an incredibly difficult game. I have always wanted to play the same game with updated graphics and newer RPG elements. This appears to be it. A lot of the negative reviews are criticizing some of the game elements such as movement and magic. I assume these are done on purpose, they want to force you to move strategically and use your environment to your advantage. They don't want you to stand in front of a monster and just hit buttons. Same with magic, they don't want you just to be able to spam fireballs, there is a penalty for setting up and using spells.
    I hope this is the start of an old school revolution in gaming.
    No game is perfect, but this is exactly the type of game I have been waiting for.
  27. Apr 12, 2012
    This is a real GAME and a real RPG, not some pseudo-cinematic crap like Mass Effect or a watered down fantasy-GTA like Skyrim. I hope the developers make enough money from this game to produce more gems, the gaming world needs more talents like Almost Human. Highly recommended for any fan of RPGs or anyone who wants to play a really good game that doesn't hold your hand and insult yourThis is a real GAME and a real RPG, not some pseudo-cinematic crap like Mass Effect or a watered down fantasy-GTA like Skyrim. I hope the developers make enough money from this game to produce more gems, the gaming world needs more talents like Almost Human. Highly recommended for any fan of RPGs or anyone who wants to play a really good game that doesn't hold your hand and insult your intelligence. Expand
  28. Apr 11, 2012
    one thing what i can say...MASTERPIECE
  29. Dec 2, 2013
    This is a highly enjoyable role playing experience, as it's hard to find a similar one. The ability (or rather restriction) of moving from tile-to-tile rather than free roaming requires tactical decisions. The game manages to entertain you and it looks good while doing it.
  30. Apr 30, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added.Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added. Definitely worth the cheap $15, and an easy 10/10. Expand
  31. Apr 12, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant return of the dungeon crawler genre. It is exactly what you would expect it to be. For such game there is nice customization, skills, spell combinations, alchemy and what's more important big dungeon full of monsters to explore. Graphic is great, sounds are great. Only that should be fixed is sound volume adjustment (missing in game). Everyhing else works perfectly.
  32. Nov 27, 2012
    Great game,reminds me of when I used to play Dungeon Master and all the other gems.Magic could do with a bit of work,and sometimes you do become slightly outnumbered in combat, which can be a bit of a downside to the game.Overall fun,addictive,well designed and well worth a sequel in my book.
  33. Sep 30, 2013
    Great game, I really love games that are exactly what they say they are. Fun game and such and such, if your in the mood for a nice little classic RPG then here ya go, It'll fill that little empty spot in you better than any male pornstar
  34. Jan 19, 2015
    The Legend of Grimrock is truly a dungeon crawling classic with little flaws. It’s that it brings back the enigmatic yet intriguing tone of adventure that hasn’t been seen for at least five years which in return makes it stand out from other dungeon crawlers.
  35. Aug 2, 2012
    This old school, tile based, real time RPG Adventure is awesome. If you like dungeon crawlers, this is a great indie title to get your hands on.
    Don't expect anything like Skyrim, or the likes of that, because this IS old school.
    Graphics, sound and athmosphere is above decent. Many hours of exploration to do, if you're into these kind of games.
    I don't regret buying it at full price.
  36. Jan 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, allow me to say that I am quite new to Indie games, but really like RPGs, still was not raised in the world of Dungeon crawling, so this game was a first one for me.

I did nevertheless enjoyed it a lot, to my surprise, spending around 50 hours in the game, trying to get all the secrets, experimenting with different armors and learning the mechanics.

Nevertheless the only reason I diminished my score from a 10 to 8 (I would rather give a 8.5) is:
    1. The last boss is quite boring.
    2. The game mechanics are a bit strange, specially how the attributes affect the playability and example being Overpowered Archers and Underpowered Armors.
    3. Story is a bit lacking.

Still this is an amazing game and I would definitely recommend it to RPG lovers!!!.
  37. Apr 16, 2012
    This game is everything that old school dungeon crawler fans could ask for. The environments are atmospheric, the puzzles are diverse and complex, the enemies are terrifying. With the game's combat however, the sooner you learn to kite enemies around the better.
  38. Jan 4, 2013
    A fantastically made modern take on the old-school, grid movement styled dungeon crawler. Customize your party, then delve into a dungeon filled with monsters, treasures and devious puzzles. All of it taking place in a beautifully rendered world. This isn't the best RPG of 2012, nor the best indie game of 2012. It's simply the best game of any kind in 2012.

Not only is the game cheap as

Not only is the game cheap as Hell, but comes complete with a powerful dungeon editor, letting Grimrock's players create custom dungeons that you can download and play.
  39. May 16, 2012
    Solid Game. Is everything you expect it to be, a OLD SCHOOL dungeon crawler. The devs are awesome and really listen to the community, Great price, great quality and a good feel of being underground.
  40. Apr 22, 2012
    I absolutely love it ... it is fun, fast, has some of that just-one-more-monster feeling, game-mechanics are clear and make sense. Sure, the combat is not everyones style and some of the riddles are maddeningly complicated, but all in all, this game is great (and there are walkthroughs and char creation guides out there). Beginning my second play-through now ...
  41. Apr 13, 2012
    Ok maybe not a 10 but a 9 would fit better, but the extra point goes with a reason, when u'r over 30 u've been playing games for decades and memories...oh sweet memories
    Great game, you just have to take it for what it is, a dungeon crawler not a RPG (besides RPG on pc/consoles do not exist, playing with customization is not role playing, following a pre-written story isn't role playing either...ok enough hehe)
    What i liked most of this game?the atmosphere, is amazing
    4 guys made a real gem, every old gamer should have this and the younger ones..well give it a try, but beware this game doesn't babysit you ;)
  42. May 16, 2012
    Best game of the year so far. I can't stand crap that industry is serving us. We need go back to the roots of pc gaming. Games must be develop with people with passion not by marketing departments.
  43. Jun 24, 2012
    Games is pretty neat, so fun and awesome, there's a lot of settings for the dungeons and your 4 characters, the game is so progressive and every puzzle is different, the game is visually perfect and the gameplay is very comfortable.
  44. Jun 5, 2012
    Grimrock is an old-school, four-man-party dungeoneering RPC which represents a timely reminder to Bioware, Bethesda et al. that it is possible to make a fantasy roleplaying game which is challenging, but still enjoyable. The old-school puzzles are every bit as contrived as older gamers will remember from Eye of the Beholder and its like, but within that contrivance lies a really enjoyableGrimrock is an old-school, four-man-party dungeoneering RPC which represents a timely reminder to Bioware, Bethesda et al. that it is possible to make a fantasy roleplaying game which is challenging, but still enjoyable. The old-school puzzles are every bit as contrived as older gamers will remember from Eye of the Beholder and its like, but within that contrivance lies a really enjoyable challenge simply absent from most modern RPGs. Combat is no cake-walk and my playthrough needed more than a couple of re-loads, especially after Level 6. Loot is nicely balanced, however, with just the right amount of equipment progression to keep the hardened dungeoneer interested. There isn't a great deal of role-playing per se in this RPG. Magic is a little bit shallow in this game, being almost entirely combat-orientated: my mage was little more than a flamethrower with a name. The rooms and corridors are sparsely furnished, with only the occasional barrel or egg-sac to break up the endless grey corridors. NPCs are notable for their absence. But mysterious dreams and notes left by a previous prisoner who attempted to navigate the dungeon provide enough of a sense of story and atmosphere to keep the four prisoners going. Ultimately, Grimrock is a loving tribute to a style of game whose day has passed and to that extent, it succeeds superbly. Although it's targeted fairly and squarely at those who assaulted Myth Dranor in days of yore on much older machines, there is a salutary lesson for modern studios: tricky puzzles and challenging combat give the player something to do besides staring at the landscape between cut-scenes. Expand
  45. Mar 15, 2013
    I was really skeptical about this game until I played it. This was actually my first "old school RPG" as other people are referring to it. I really enjoyed it. The story was really interesting, the secrets and puzzles were challenging, and the combat was player skill based rather than solely chance-based. And FYI, to the retard who spent 90% of the game sleeping to regain HP, there areI was really skeptical about this game until I played it. This was actually my first "old school RPG" as other people are referring to it. I really enjoyed it. The story was really interesting, the secrets and puzzles were challenging, and the combat was player skill based rather than solely chance-based. And FYI, to the retard who spent 90% of the game sleeping to regain HP, there are GIGANTIC GLOWING CRYSTALS that refill your HP and energy for you and recharge every 5 minutes. Expand
  46. Nov 28, 2012
    I play this with my wife (40years old. I-never-played-game-before) and sometimes with my nephew (a 20years old hardcore gamer). Both of them love the game. I consider myself a hardcore player too and, of course, I am so happy with L.O.G. Everything is well designed. Graphics are so good for a dungeon crawler and dont feel "indie" ( I shared a couple of screenshots in Facebook and EVERYBODYI play this with my wife (40years old. I-never-played-game-before) and sometimes with my nephew (a 20years old hardcore gamer). Both of them love the game. I consider myself a hardcore player too and, of course, I am so happy with L.O.G. Everything is well designed. Graphics are so good for a dungeon crawler and dont feel "indie" ( I shared a couple of screenshots in Facebook and EVERYBODY said they were so pretty). Thats what I can say about the appealing of this game. For the gameplay, I can say is wonderful, right click option is so beautiful, leveling system is simple but not dull, Spell casting system is a big hit for me. I love how it feels like a mage thing, not just a "click" thing, when you must remember and select correctly the runes for your spell, being under attack. Is not difficult (my mage killed more enemies than everyone else) and flavored. The only "bad" point about this game is the lack of NPCs interaction, like cities or shops, which could be awesome, making it one of the top 10 games ever, but without this, it just gets the title of Best Game of 2012. Expand
  47. Mar 7, 2013
    My first gaming love was Dungeon Master. Legend of Grimrock is basically an updated version. Explore the dungeon, solve puzzles and level up your characters. Whats not to like. The only reason its a 9 and not a 10 is that i completed it fairly quickly. Can't wait for more dungeons to crawl through!
  48. Mar 16, 2013
    Grimrock is a engaging tribute to an era of RPG gaming many of us who played RPG's in the 90's sorely miss. It has some of the simple charm of the early Elder Scrolls (ie daggerfall) and Bard's Tale games. If you are a general fan of classic RPG's you'll enjoy Grimrock for at least a few hours of play.

The game is easy to pick up and play, the controls are intuitive and game doesn't require an extensive tutorial or preamble. My favorite part of my time with Grimrock thus far is that it doesn't have that oh so familiar (to modern RPG's at least) 'this will be fun once you level up high enough' feel. The game is about simple puzzles, character management and dungeon crawling. You are doing all three things within minutes of turning on the game. The character development seems a little simplistic and the puzzles/enemies seem to have a pretty low variation rate. That said this review is written with 2 hours of play time under my belt. Excited to go back for more but not wowed by anything except the simplicity and comfortable aesthetics.
  49. Apr 19, 2012
    A brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you haveA brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you have fired when walking over them. I have a few complaints about the game, namely the inability to swap between ranged and hand-to-hand fighting without rummaging around in your inventory to swap weapons in and out of the action bar while monsters are fast approaching/beating your face in. I feel they would've been better served having sets of items to equip which you can swap between with a base amount of time required to switch. Inventory management gets tedious due to the weight management system and sometimes having to throw items you might want to keep makes for long pauses in the action. Overall a great game, and definitely worth the $15 asking price. Expand
  50. Apr 12, 2012
    Absolutely worth ever penny. Having more fun with this game than Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim put together. The game rewards you well for exploring and solving puzzles so you end up wanting to complete all. Also highly refreshing to have a challenging game for once rather than only having to hold the fire button down. Legend of Grimlock actually makes you think how you're going to approach anyAbsolutely worth ever penny. Having more fun with this game than Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim put together. The game rewards you well for exploring and solving puzzles so you end up wanting to complete all. Also highly refreshing to have a challenging game for once rather than only having to hold the fire button down. Legend of Grimlock actually makes you think how you're going to approach any giving situation, as there are plenty of traps, surprises and variety of cooling looking mobs that await your every turn. 10/10 Expand
  51. Apr 11, 2012
    This is an amazing game, simply put. This is not for people who need nonstop action and love Call of Duty. This is for people who actually like to think, solve, explore and overcome challenges. Catlin, I feel you must either be too young to appreciate this type of game that would fill you with nostalgia, or you have a short attention span. While I won't quite give it a 'masterpiece' title,This is an amazing game, simply put. This is not for people who need nonstop action and love Call of Duty. This is for people who actually like to think, solve, explore and overcome challenges. Catlin, I feel you must either be too young to appreciate this type of game that would fill you with nostalgia, or you have a short attention span. While I won't quite give it a 'masterpiece' title, I will give it a 10 because it is just that good. My ONLY complaint would be the lack of more character portraits to choose from, but that's pretty minor and can be added in later. I love the that the option is included to turn off auto-mapping and you can print out included graph paper to map it yourself. Old school D&D players will love that! I'm a bit too scared to try it...for now :-) Expand
  52. Apr 15, 2012
    I'm giving this such a high score because it scratches my nostalgia bug, and does it with style. Anyone who played the old Dungeon Master type games will feel right at home, but the modern graphics really bring it to life. It is hard, at times brutal, and you'll spend as much time banging your head over devious puzzles as you will carving up tasty monsters (anyone for a dino steak?). InI'm giving this such a high score because it scratches my nostalgia bug, and does it with style. Anyone who played the old Dungeon Master type games will feel right at home, but the modern graphics really bring it to life. It is hard, at times brutal, and you'll spend as much time banging your head over devious puzzles as you will carving up tasty monsters (anyone for a dino steak?). In the end, you win or lose due to your own skill not because of some random stats that make you invincible at level 3000. This should be on every RPG gamer's list. Expand
  53. Apr 12, 2012
    Grimrock is basically everything that you love about old school dungeon crawlers wrapped in an aesthetically pleasing package. The game plays smoothly, the puzzles (story/plot) are wonderfully challenging without being frustrating, and Grimrock understands that the best loot should always be both optional and extremely well hidden. Some folks might need time to acclimate to the real timeGrimrock is basically everything that you love about old school dungeon crawlers wrapped in an aesthetically pleasing package. The game plays smoothly, the puzzles (story/plot) are wonderfully challenging without being frustrating, and Grimrock understands that the best loot should always be both optional and extremely well hidden. Some folks might need time to acclimate to the real time UI, but eventually the realization will dawn that it simply adds tension and tension is the perfect emotion for dank dungeon crawls. If Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master make you shout in pleasure, pick this up immediately. Everyone else, and especially those who enjoy challenging games or RPGs in general, seriously consider this gem. Expand
  54. Apr 30, 2012
    One of the best features of the LoG is its respect for the player's intelligence. The game style may not be for everyone, but anyone tired of games telling them 'press LS to move' might enjoy a break with some interesting puzzles, strategic combat and old school RPG fun. The game is not overly hard, and may only lightly challenge veterans of games such as Bard's Tale or the old AD&DOne of the best features of the LoG is its respect for the player's intelligence. The game style may not be for everyone, but anyone tired of games telling them 'press LS to move' might enjoy a break with some interesting puzzles, strategic combat and old school RPG fun. The game is not overly hard, and may only lightly challenge veterans of games such as Bard's Tale or the old AD&D games, but amid the wash of glorified cut scenes that modern gaming has become, this is a rare and brilliant gem. Expand
  55. Jan 9, 2013
    Very good game in the style of Might and Magic (a classic PC game). The graphics are outstanding and exploration really fun in those beautifully rendered environments. This is a game I recomment for people who like to explore dungeons and build up a party of interesting characters.
  56. Apr 9, 2013
    Captures all that is good of the old-school RPGs. It got also got graphic and an awesome soundtrack! It has also map editing that you can get from steam if you want another map to play on, and for such a low price, you should get it!
  57. Apr 22, 2012
    I haven't had as much fun in a game since Skyrim. Get it, it is such a refreshing breeze of fresh air in the polluted modern games market. The graphics are superb and the gameplay is fun. It requires intelligence and cunning to progress!
  58. Jul 19, 2012
    A must for fans of old-school RPGs. Excellent visuals, nive old-school feeling achieved through grid based movement with smooth animated transitions. A lot of exploration and an interesting story weaved in-between. A classic!
  59. Apr 17, 2012
    I grew up playing these types of games, Eye of the Beholder, Stonekeep, it's so refreshing to see a new version with updated graphics of these same classics. This is hands down one of the best CASUAL RPG's you can get today. You cannot beat the price, my hope is that they will continue these types of games and follow the Eye of the Beholder method of importing characters from game toI grew up playing these types of games, Eye of the Beholder, Stonekeep, it's so refreshing to see a new version with updated graphics of these same classics. This is hands down one of the best CASUAL RPG's you can get today. You cannot beat the price, my hope is that they will continue these types of games and follow the Eye of the Beholder method of importing characters from game to game. The only thing that would be desirable is some sort of expandable storyline, but for a first new game of this style in decades it's so refreshing. Expand
  60. Jun 4, 2012
    Great return to the old dungeon crawler style of games. Not quite as in depth as games of yore: Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Bloodwych, etc. but hopefully with expansions and updates it can become the game it deserves to be.
  61. Dec 2, 2013
    Maybe the best game i played in the last 3 years. It's old schooled eye of the beholder-like. I want the android version, please.

I'm seriously waiting for the second part. And I want some healing spells.
  62. Nov 24, 2014
    Great game that looks and plays a whole lot like the good old Dungeon Master. It features a skill system instead of the learn by use method in the original game which is a little different but still work fine. You also need ingredients now to create potions rather than just a spell filling a vial which limits the use of potions. Other than that most mechanics work just like in DungeonGreat game that looks and plays a whole lot like the good old Dungeon Master. It features a skill system instead of the learn by use method in the original game which is a little different but still work fine. You also need ingredients now to create potions rather than just a spell filling a vial which limits the use of potions. Other than that most mechanics work just like in Dungeon Master which means lots of puzzles that require thinking, observation and timing, lots of tunnels to explore and secrets to find and figuring out different ways to deal with monsters. If you loved Dungeon Master 25 years ago then Legend of Grimrock will get you hooked once again, no question about that. Also available DRM free for both PC and Mac! Expand
  63. Aug 30, 2013
    A good-looking dungeoncrawler with replayability and an intriguing story. The story is not a big thing in the game but it still hooks you. The combat is in real-time and quite fun. Its not overly complex but you have to be careful. The focus in the game though is in its puzzles. The puzzles are hard, some very hard and there is plenty of secret rooms and items to find in your exploration.A good-looking dungeoncrawler with replayability and an intriguing story. The story is not a big thing in the game but it still hooks you. The combat is in real-time and quite fun. Its not overly complex but you have to be careful. The focus in the game though is in its puzzles. The puzzles are hard, some very hard and there is plenty of secret rooms and items to find in your exploration. If you decide to try this game my biggest tip is to not look the puzzles up. The feeling when you finally crack it is worth its time and you will crack it eventually. Expand
  64. Nov 1, 2014
    Very good game, done everything there was to do, got all achievements, and still liked the game.

This game gives you the old school feeling, including the toughness needed to beat the game, lol

Lost 1 point due to the horrible battle system, there is this "cool down" system that makes you move around like a retard to avoid being hit while waiting for your attack to recharge.
  65. Apr 12, 2012
    One of the few love letters to old school RPG fans.
    A modern classic.

If you love classic dungeon crawlers, you can not afford to miss this game. Buy it, play it, keep playing it, and wait for the tools to create your own dungeon
  66. Apr 24, 2012
    Surprisingly fresh for something based on 25 years old game mechanics. Graphics are fine, ambient music wonderfully captures the sense of danger and it's just pure fun to walk through the dark corridors of Grimrock filled with enemies, secrets, deadly traps and challenging puzzles. So far the biggest surprise of this year plus a great chance for old school pc gamers to re-live someSurprisingly fresh for something based on 25 years old game mechanics. Graphics are fine, ambient music wonderfully captures the sense of danger and it's just pure fun to walk through the dark corridors of Grimrock filled with enemies, secrets, deadly traps and challenging puzzles. So far the biggest surprise of this year plus a great chance for old school pc gamers to re-live some nostalgic past experiences, as well as for younger players to grasp a bit of dungeon crawlers magic. Expand
  67. May 1, 2012
    Nice game.
    Not much to say really: It uses old mechanic's; It is nostalgic; Puzzles are hard, but not "screw it!_let's_see_how_this_riddle_is_solved_on_the_internet" hard.
    Overall - 8 out of 10. It would be 9, but this kind of games grew out of my habit.
  68. Aug 18, 2013
    a refreshing puzzle game, its a nice change from action orientated RPGs such as skyrim and fallout, while still keeping the thrill of exploration and strategy combat, i highly recommend you try this game, you will not be disappointed
  69. Dec 11, 2013
    I have never been interested in dungeon games but Grimrock persuaded me that there is at least one true adventure which takes place within the four walls and infects everyone with claustrophobia. So many puzzles, breath-hold moments and atmosperic stuff that it is impossible to forget this journey.
  70. Jun 2, 2012
    This game is great. I have so much fun remembering first Dungeon Master, but refreshed with decent graphics and sound. Love this game.
    Now i want more and i hope for next version which could bring much more characters to choose, relations between characters, external locations (like Ishar series), role-play actions, stores, etc.
  71. Apr 12, 2012
    It's game from past - time of Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore and Might&Magic 1-5. And now it returns with HD graphics.
    It might disappoint "young" gamers, but thous who started playing in mid 90 - you will love this game.
  72. Jul 17, 2012
    This is an excellent game. True to the old style dungeon crawls of old, this game has interesting puzzles, dangerous enemies, and deadly traps. Best played without a FAQ or walkthrough - you may bang your head against a wall for an hour trying to figure out a puzzle, but when you do it's absolutely glorious.

The end of the game was well worth the time and effort; the final enemy comes

The end of the game was well worth the time and effort; the final enemy comes at you from left field and is both comical and terrifying. There is some amount of replay value, but the true replay value will come in the future: The company will be releasing, for free, an editor so that players can craft their own dungeons.
  73. Apr 27, 2012
    Fantastic puzzles, fun combat, and simple gameplay (not to be mistaken with hand holding, which this game does not do) creates a fun game. Great atmosphere and story makes this one of the deepest indie games I have played in a long time.
  74. Apr 11, 2012
    Its really really bad, the movement lags, you cant move forward perpetually, just one tile at a time. what is this **** chess? most of the game is just puzzles, yea screw that, i came to PLAY, not think, the combat looks turned based but its not you cant even see your weapon and the enemies look like mushrooms get skyrim instead its a much better game this game doesnt even have a story howIts really really bad, the movement lags, you cant move forward perpetually, just one tile at a time. what is this **** chess? most of the game is just puzzles, yea screw that, i came to PLAY, not think, the combat looks turned based but its not you cant even see your weapon and the enemies look like mushrooms get skyrim instead its a much better game this game doesnt even have a story how can you play a game without careactors that you care about, why do you think they are called CAREacters anyway? play skyrim, play mass effect 3, but dont play this game

just kidding, Legends of Grimrock is freaking awesome. If you are on the fence you should play Dungeon Master first, its a free game originally made in 1987, there are plenty of reskins and remakes that run on pretty much every platform. If you enjoy Dungeon Master, you will LOVE Grimrock! If you enjoyed Dungeon Master but found it a bit too challenging, then you will still love Grimrock. Legends of Grimrock brings the old school first person dungeon crawler style into the 21st century, because the graphics are up to date, you will find yourself getting lost a lot less as you wont be mistaking one area for another, there is also an automap and a tutorial to help newer players, but overall, this is a classic dungeon crawler. Those "fake" criticisms i laid out are true, the movement is tile based, the combat is real time, and you cannot see your weapon. However this gives the game a certain feel that you either love or hate, combat will involve you sidestepping your enemies and using the mazelike environment to attack them off guard, taking advantage of the fact that if they are not facing you, they have to take the time to turn toward you before attacking, it may not be "realistic" but it lends itself to a certain playstyle that you will have to get used to. Like I said earlier, there is not a huge focus on story here, you are prisoners who must fight through grimrock to be pardoned, thats about it, no whining party members, no loyalty quests, just the creaking sound of the dungeon and the soft cackling of a torch, just how I like it. You can create your own party or select a premade party. Creating a party is the best way to go as you can select from a number of races and skills and 3 classes. I chose an entirely nonhuman party, Insectoids, Lizards and a Minotaur, not enough games let you play as monsters. Once in the dungeon you are on your own, you are given no starting weapons or items and must forage for everything yourself. This gives the game the "survival" element of classic dungeon crawlers. Unlike Dungeon Master, torches are much more abundant and last longer, darkness is not entirely crippling (partially due to the updated graphics) this gives the player much less of a ticking clock when trying to figure out the games many puzzles, some more hardcore guys might think that makes things too easy, i for one welcome it. Oh yes, and the puzzles, they are really challenging and you will spend much of the game solving them. Of course this is not 1987, you can go online for walkthroughs if you get stuck, but I do feel challenged by this game, and Im loving it. I probably would give this game around an 8.5, it brings an abandoned genre of role playing into the 21st century with amazing success in my opinion, its smooth, challenging, and a joy to play. I was hoping for a dungeon editor, I dont think it would be too hard to make as it is a tile based game, but i heard that they may be working on something like that, so one can only hope. Again, I reccommend you play Dungeon Master before you buy this game, but if you are looking for that type of thing, its well worth the money.
  75. Apr 27, 2012
    The new Dungeon Master is Back. Better then ever. That's what I call the ultimate Dungeon RPG!
    Hard puzzles and a great atmosphere. Can't wait for more Dungeons and Puzzles!
  76. Apr 25, 2012
    Ahh it was a great pleasure to crawl in that dungeon! It remember lot of good rememberings, with DM, EOB etc etc.
    I really have joy to play it and finished it. I think it is a little short. But the price is really short too ;)
    I hope the adventure will continue with add ons. If you loved DM style, I think you can't miss LoG!
  77. May 7, 2012
    Remember Dungeon Master on the Amiga? If not, even better! I have been waiting years for a game like this. It is almost impossible to stop playing. The puzzles are evil, the fighting a bit point and click, but that's what I want. I am more interested in the puzzle the game poses.

I haven't found any invisible walls yet, err, I mean walls that you can walk through, that aren't really there - like dungeon master, but I am only on a low level. I would also like a bit more of the click-something-five-miles-away, with something else, to open a door you never knew about.

But, it's compulsively addictive, I absolutely love it! When I bought it I thought: "I hope this is like Dungeon Master" and I have waited years to play another Dungeon Master - and this is it! 1 point deducted for the maps being just a little small (but that is being really niggley).
  78. May 4, 2012
    Six words: Like Dungeon Master with updated graphics. If this makes sense to you, then this may well prove to be a nostalgic experience. If not, then definitely try before you buy.
  79. Jul 8, 2012
    A wonderful surprise for us older gamers who loved the original styles, and this brings the model up to date with good graphics and surprising detail. Also nice that it was a small indie firm who were genuinely pleased and excited it was so popular, that made it a pleasure to hand over some money to play it.

I played it exclusively until it was completed, and am still impatiently

I played it exclusively until it was completed, and am still impatiently waiting for new content and the long-promised user-submitted maps and dungeon editor. Come on!

Bargain of the year along with Toy Soldiers.
  80. Oct 11, 2012
    As an older gamer this review is quickly done. I you liked the Eye of the Beholder series (especially Eye of the Beholder II: Legend of Darkmoon) or the first Lands of Lore... just go buy it. Fighting and puzzles just like in the old days, but with good looking graphics and a not overused 3D engine.

Recently Steam Workshop support was added and development tools got released, so watch out for new dungeons, puzzles and fights.
  81. Dec 16, 2012
    This is a great remake of old school dungeon crawler games. Everything is very true to classics like Dungeon Master, including controls, movement and combat. Just the graphics is modern (and very well done). This game is clearly intended for older gamers familiar with these classics. Younger people used to modern games are less likely to appreciate grid-style movement and clicky,This is a great remake of old school dungeon crawler games. Everything is very true to classics like Dungeon Master, including controls, movement and combat. Just the graphics is modern (and very well done). This game is clearly intended for older gamers familiar with these classics. Younger people used to modern games are less likely to appreciate grid-style movement and clicky, error-prone combat controls. Overall, a superb game but not for everyone. Expand
  82. Dec 21, 2012
    Its a hard game, but those are always the best. You don't want games you can beat first time through and take only a few hours. Legend of Grimrock is full of mystery, puzzles, and sometimes even scares.

Another thing i loved about this game is customization. I usually spend like 30 mins putting my squad together perfectly. I suggest this game as a great Christmas gift (posted December 22nd)
  83. Apr 12, 2012
    Finally a game which holds the feeling of the renaissance era of great gaming years! A must have for the first electronic gaming generation. Perfect representation of the classical deungeon crawling style.
  84. Apr 17, 2012
    I'm a dreadfully picky player, yet this is a good game. I think the question here is that is this _really_ a truly wonderful and good game or is this just such a smashingly well made Eye of the Beholder tribute (clone) that it difficult to estimate the games true potential. I never really played to old "golden box" games, yet I enjoy this game greatly. With all my prejudice againstI'm a dreadfully picky player, yet this is a good game. I think the question here is that is this _really_ a truly wonderful and good game or is this just such a smashingly well made Eye of the Beholder tribute (clone) that it difficult to estimate the games true potential. I never really played to old "golden box" games, yet I enjoy this game greatly. With all my prejudice against anything I must give this game a full ten. The last game which I would have given a nine is the new Deus Ex. (to compare in entertainment value) Expand
  85. Nov 4, 2012
    Reminiscent of the early 90's dungeon crawlers, where your adventure always feels like a struggle and the dungeons traps and mazes are an actual challenge. This game does not hold your hand and does not give you a prolonged tutorial or throws expendable characters in your face, instead it's just your party and the quiet rumbling of the dungeon for you to discover.

Combined with superb

Combined with superb texture quality and sound assets the game really makes you feel like just another prisoner in a maze of a dungeon.
  86. Apr 11, 2012
    Have been playing the game for an hour or so and have loved everything so far. I keep coming up to new enemies, and even when you run into old ones, there are so many different ways you can fight them with the whole real-time movement. The puzzles aren't too hard so far. Have spent around 10 minutes on a few areas, only to find the solution was so close all along. The environment is justHave been playing the game for an hour or so and have loved everything so far. I keep coming up to new enemies, and even when you run into old ones, there are so many different ways you can fight them with the whole real-time movement. The puzzles aren't too hard so far. Have spent around 10 minutes on a few areas, only to find the solution was so close all along. The environment is just awesome. Sure the tiles are repeated, but what do you expect in a dungeon game. Loot is pretty superb as well. Keep finding different armour with different trade-offs. Haven't even beaten the first dungeon of many to come and already I can say this game was worth the $15 it goes for when not on sale. And I didn't even have to spend that much with the pre-order! Great game! If you loved older dungeon crawlers or are just looking for a new game to play, this should be at the top of your to-get list! Very well made. Looking forward to the new dungeons and other things to come for this game! Expand
  87. Apr 11, 2012
    Amazing game that brings us an updated an interesting take on the classic dungeon crawl/rpg genre!Amazing game that brings us an updated an interesting take on the classic dungeon crawl/rpg genre!

88. Apr 13, 2012
    This game is proof that sometimes it's best to go back to basics. Best dungeon crawler I've played in years! Definitely a steal at the current sale price!
  89. Apr 11, 2012
    This is the best clone of Dungeon Master in 2012.
    Best gameplay, best graphics, best.... all !!!
    Goty 2012 :-)
  90. pid
    Apr 12, 2012
    Great assets (graphics, music and sound) revitalize the long-lost old-school gameplay enjoyed by generations of gamers. GAD-kids may not understand this gameplay, but it's really that good and I can't wait for the user-created content. Running through more than once with a new party is also fun because the differentiation of races and classes is significant.
  91. Apr 12, 2012
    If you never played through Eye of the Beholder,Dungeon Hack, or Dungeon Master, you may not really appreciate this game for what it is. The developers of this game managed to bring back the essence of Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder from the grave without losing the nostalgia and fun of playing those games. The feel of the game is very early 90's, but the updated UI, graphics, andIf you never played through Eye of the Beholder,Dungeon Hack, or Dungeon Master, you may not really appreciate this game for what it is. The developers of this game managed to bring back the essence of Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder from the grave without losing the nostalgia and fun of playing those games. The feel of the game is very early 90's, but the updated UI, graphics, and sound make it well worth the time to play. Never heard of the three games I mentioned at the beginning, you may want to play something else if you're really concerned about your $15, but if you long for the days of maps that you could plot on graph paper or $15 isn't that much of a hit, by all means give this one a go. Expand
  92. Apr 12, 2012
    I had to make a MC account just to give this game its just due. My first-ever RPGs were Dungeon Hack and Ultima Underworld, so this genre has a special place in my heart. I've put in hours on this game since I got it and it's a blast, especially for an indie studio debut. The puzzles are challenging and fun and the combat is difficult, but never impossible. I like the advancement system,I had to make a MC account just to give this game its just due. My first-ever RPGs were Dungeon Hack and Ultima Underworld, so this genre has a special place in my heart. I've put in hours on this game since I got it and it's a blast, especially for an indie studio debut. The puzzles are challenging and fun and the combat is difficult, but never impossible. I like the advancement system, and picked two mages to go with my fighter and rogue since I knew I would be disappointed if I was missing out on spells. Can't wait to delve deeper into Mt. Grimrock! I highly recommend it to any fans of the dungeon crawl genre or any newer gamers who have enjoyed Portal but want a medieval twist on puzzle solving with some combat added in for flavor! Expand
  93. Apr 13, 2012
    A lot of people tell me you have to be one of those people who played games like Dungeon Master during the 90s to enjoy a game like Legend of Grimrock. I for one have never played a dungeon crawler game ever and let me tell you this....Legend of Grimrock is seriously fun and engaging. I'm sure anyone who played those dungeon crawling games during the 90s will absolutely enjoy tinglingA lot of people tell me you have to be one of those people who played games like Dungeon Master during the 90s to enjoy a game like Legend of Grimrock. I for one have never played a dungeon crawler game ever and let me tell you this....Legend of Grimrock is seriously fun and engaging. I'm sure anyone who played those dungeon crawling games during the 90s will absolutely enjoy tingling their nostalgia. But for someone like me who is new to this sort of game, its new and refreshing to play and I love it. Expand
  94. May 14, 2012
    Old school'd Dungeon Master in a modern look. Brings everything you expect from a dungeon crawler game - lots of monsters to beat, weapons to fight with, spells to cast, puzzles to solve. Those vary from easy ones to very hard to crack, however each puzzle is somewhat based on a common sense and you must think to crack it, with or without the help of ingame notes you find on your escapeOld school'd Dungeon Master in a modern look. Brings everything you expect from a dungeon crawler game - lots of monsters to beat, weapons to fight with, spells to cast, puzzles to solve. Those vary from easy ones to very hard to crack, however each puzzle is somewhat based on a common sense and you must think to crack it, with or without the help of ingame notes you find on your escape from Grimrock. The only drawbacks I have found is that the walls of the dungeon could be more variable and the spell casting system could be working on some user friendlier system - it is a bit annoying to select the same runes again in the heat of the battle. Also, the realtime fighting might not suit everyone. But despite of these drawbacks, every dungeon fan must have this game. Expand
  95. Jan 10, 2013
    This was the game that reminded me of those games my brother and I played in the 80's on our PCjr. Wizardy, Bards Tale, Might&Magic, etc. Those of you that remember will know exactly what I'm talking about. The puzzles, beasts, and dungeon are all top notch. It was nice to get away from all the over the top 3d imagery and explosions of today. My brother, sadly, passed away this summerThis was the game that reminded me of those games my brother and I played in the 80's on our PCjr. Wizardy, Bards Tale, Might&Magic, etc. Those of you that remember will know exactly what I'm talking about. The puzzles, beasts, and dungeon are all top notch. It was nice to get away from all the over the top 3d imagery and explosions of today. My brother, sadly, passed away this summer so I played this game for him. He would have been glued to his computer if he were still alive. My only negative, and it's not really a negative, was the ending. Thanks Almost Human crew!!! I'm ready for another. Expand
  96. Jul 7, 2014
    - I really could become nostalgic about this one... Eye of the Beholder and Might and Magic incoming!
    Negative: - Spellsystem is really annoying to manage - Inventory becomes cluttered too fast. - Some riddles are too much trial and error for my taste.. and have insane amount of steps to memorize. Fazit Must buy for "classic" dungeon crawler fans which want to draw

- Spellsystem is really annoying to manage
    - Inventory becomes cluttered too fast.

Fazit
    Must buy for "classic" dungeon crawler fans which want to draw their own map again. Everyone else - you might want to stick with Witcher or Deus Ex for a polished RPG experience.
  97. Apr 24, 2012
    The game is fantastic. It's the perfect throwback to the dungeon crawlers of old, but without feeling old. It looks gorgeous, the difficulty is spot-on (easy on "Easy", challenging on "Normal" and hard on "Hard") and the puzzles are very, very cool. If you want a challenge, I recommend playin it on "Old School Mode", but if you don't think you'd have that kind of patience, the game doesn'tThe game is fantastic. It's the perfect throwback to the dungeon crawlers of old, but without feeling old. It looks gorgeous, the difficulty is spot-on (easy on "Easy", challenging on "Normal" and hard on "Hard") and the puzzles are very, very cool. If you want a challenge, I recommend playin it on "Old School Mode", but if you don't think you'd have that kind of patience, the game doesn't become boring with the automap turned on. Almost Human found that perfect balance that most developers can't reach. You owe it to yourself to try this game. Expand
  98. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a nostalgia trip. It utilizes similar gameplay that you would find with old dungeon crawler games but with modern age graphics, and surprisingly it works very well.
  99. Apr 12, 2012
    An incredibly good game, why don't they make more rpgs like this? Unlike many modern games, Legend of Grimrock requires real skill, a sharp mind, a keen eye, and tactical thinking. And there's room for much more, once Almost Human releases the tile set there will be plenty of user made content, not to mention more dungeons made by Almost Human themselves.

1. Jun 13, 2012
    A relic of the RPG's golden era, revived and refined for the modern age. [July 2012, p.71]
  2. May 30, 2012
    Classic dungeon-crawling brought back to life. [June 2012, p.52]
  3. May 28, 2012
    A delightfully nostalgic, but harsh, RPG treat, oozing old school charm. [July 2012, p.90]