8.3

1. Jun 28, 2013
    Leisure Suit Larry returns in a remake of the original classic that started it all. And it's not just a 1:1 rehash, either. The story has been extended, the puzzles changed, and the graphics updated to a new generation of adventure game fans. But, it still retains the charm that Al Lowe brought back in 1987. If you're a fan of point-and-click games, you won't be disappointed.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    Cried I laughed so much replaying the game after so many years! A must buy. The new graphics are gorgeous and the music is spot on. Well worth the 20$ on steam.
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    A trip down memory lane with some new twists!
    I've played all the Larry games in my youth starting with a second-hand copy of Larry 3 as a kid, then went and and got the collector's edition and Larry 7 when it released. The controls have definitely improved and have been simplified and the interface in Reloaded is a treat to work with!
    Everything is so fluid and responsive and the
    A trip down memory lane with some new twists!
    Everything is so fluid and responsive and the backgrounds and sprites really pop on a 1080p screen. Why the loader doesn't remember which video mode you'd set prior though is puzzling. Considering gambling is a key element to the game I'm surprised also that there is no automatic way to "bet max" and instead have to left-click the 'increase bet' button multiple times as holding down the mouse button results in an 'ability wheel' style overlay which I probably didn't use as much as I should have.

All the above aside, I had a blast sinking a solid few hours into this game last night and with no walkthroughs or Google auto-suggestions, I was on my own with the puzzles which have been freshened up and a whole new section had me stumbling around lost for a while. When I finally discovered my missing link it all seemed "so obvious" in hindsight :)

A relatively short game for $20, though if I had never played the series before it definitely would've taken longer. 8 out of 10 (after a beer or two from me!
  4. Jun 28, 2013
    With the goal of remaking and improving on a gaming classic, LSL Reloaded succeeded above and beyond.
    Yes, the ages-old age verification remained true to its originally-annoying form but if it was easy to get around it then, it remained just as easy today (even easier, since you can just google the answers if actually fill it out).
    As to the game itself, the humor the beating heart and
    As to the game itself, the humor the beating heart and soul of the LSL games is top notch. What a difference it makes to have the Al Lowe, the actual man behind the original games, heavily involved in this game (the past few "Larry" games released since LSL7 were without his involvement and boy does it show).
    The visuals are a treat, and the sound and music even more so kudos to Austin Wintory on a fantastic score that never seems out of place.
    In the end, a shiny, funny new version of and old classic.
  5. Jun 28, 2013
    Larry is back with better graphics, more and new puzzles, more humour and more beautiful girls. Awesome game, recommended for everyone! I really hope there will be a sequel
  6. Jun 29, 2013
    Absolutely dreadful reviews score by “knowledgeable” critics 57%( currently), that is only 40% higher than Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, now that is beyond a joke.

The game is not perfect, but it is fun, humorous and written very well and with only a budget of $700k to work with(Skyrim cost $100 million to make by the way) it is great value that Replay/Nfusion have given us, this is a must for old adventure fans and individuals who would like something totally different to FPS dominated market, try it today you will be pleasantly surprised and spread the word, if this doesn’t sell well, its bye Leisure Suit Larry forever.
  7. Jun 27, 2013
    I enjoyed this game, however it became clear as I played that sometimes things are a bit better in retrospect. I loved the whole LSL series and I was a kickstarter supporter of the campaign because of it. I played many of the games multiple times, but perhaps I have aged a little too much, matured, or perhaps I just see a wee bit too much of the old Laffer in myself these days. The humorI enjoyed this game, however it became clear as I played that sometimes things are a bit better in retrospect. I loved the whole LSL series and I was a kickstarter supporter of the campaign because of it. I played many of the games multiple times, but perhaps I have aged a little too much, matured, or perhaps I just see a wee bit too much of the old Laffer in myself these days. The humor was good for the most part, I found the re-mix of a few puzzles confusing, and while the visuals were nice I found the animation a bit too choppy for my tastes. Nit picking I know, still bothered me a bit in this day of fantastically powerful devices. I do give kudos for the excellent cross platform support and it runs quite nicely on my Linux system which alone buys a few points from me. Overall I am happy with the experience, but I would like to have seen a bit more polish, and I really hope instead of going though the series again we will see LSL8 sooner rather than later. Expand
  8. Jun 28, 2013
    It was awesome to go back and revisit this game using 2013 technology. Al Lowe and company have done an excellent job of updating the game but not to a point where it loses any of its original charm. The handpainted backgrounds are gorgeous, the voice acting is excellent and all around it's just a really fun, nostalgic experience.

Also, it seems like a lot of people are complaining

Also, it seems like a lot of people are complaining about the age verification at the beginning of the game which is a bit ridiculous considering it can be bypassed by pressing ctrl-alt-x, just like the original.
  9. Jun 28, 2013
    kulajoe: HAHAHA! You're a kid!!!!

Now seriously, I know what you mean. God bless Google & ALT+TAB. Hell, even with that help I managed to miss one of the questions. It looks like the questions are oriented for US residents only. At least after you get in the game and save, you can reload and don't need to answer those pesky questions again. With that apart, I've been playing Larry
    kulajoe: HAHAHA! You're a kid!!!!

With that apart, I've been playing Larry since the 90's, and this one is a welcome sight. After Box Office Bust, I thought the series would die. Maybe with this little push, someone will pick Larry up again and launch a new adventure, because the character definitely deserves it. I've only played for half an hour (not counting the time I spent trying to get those damn questions right), and noticed that the same puzzles are there, but with a nice twist. On the 1st game you'd get the remote and automatically change channels on the TV in the pimp's room, on "Reloaded" you have to get the batteries for the remote. The password to the pimp's room, which was previously conveniently written on the bathroom wall, now is more well hidden. Can't wait to get home and play it for a couple more hours. If you were born long enough to play the entire series, like I did, I definitely recommend you this game. If Larry Laffer doesn't ring you any bells... well... at least give it a rent and see what you think.

Those pesky questions and the slightly boring narration that makes me just want to skip all those filler dialogues were a bit of a turnoff for me, but even though I played for little time, I still think it's great. I give it an 8.
  10. Jun 28, 2013
    I was always a big fan of Al Lowe's games and when I saw on Kickstarter that Replay games was going to do a remake I immediately said to myself that I needed to get in on that and over the coarse of a year I saw all the hard work that was put in by Al Lowe, Josh Mandel Paul Trowe and the rest of the Replay team I knew I was going to be blown away but the final product exceeded myI was always a big fan of Al Lowe's games and when I saw on Kickstarter that Replay games was going to do a remake I immediately said to myself that I needed to get in on that and over the coarse of a year I saw all the hard work that was put in by Al Lowe, Josh Mandel Paul Trowe and the rest of the Replay team I knew I was going to be blown away but the final product exceeded my expectations the HD graphics are top notch and the soundtrack which was composed by Grammy nominated composer Austin Wintory was an absolute joy to listen to throughout the game! the humor will have you laughing for hours on end so be sure to use all the icons on everything in the rooms! This truly was a return to the one true Larry and I'm proud to be part of a group that helped bring this game to life Expand
  11. Jun 28, 2013
    LSL definitely delivers. I played the originals back in college, and this is a very solid update. It has a the classic scenes which I was glad weren't made overly contemporary, but with some nice twists added-Angry Broads game FTW!
  12. Jun 28, 2013
    I have been a fan of Larry since I was a little kid in middle school and a friend handed us a pirated copy of Larry 1 and Larry 6. I eventually bought every collector's edition and Larry 7, and patiently waited for Larry 8, which never game.

LSL Reloaded is an excellent remake of the original, with new puzzles, characters, updated humor, tons of new stuff, and is still faithful to what made the first game a hit. I encountered 0 bugs while playing, the game never crashed. I am glad they delayed the release because I enjoyed a flawless experience. Replay has done an amazing job with this game, and they have my confidence for Larry 2.

Finally, Larry has come home
  13. Jun 28, 2013
    The Legend of seduction is back reviving old school moments with new awesome graphics. A lot of humor from the beginning to the end.
    They made a wonderful work with the remake I hope they make the same thing with the following Larry saga. Personally I think this kind of games (Graphics adventure, point n' click) that we grew up in the '80 '90 need to be released one more time (with awesome 2D graphics) for the new generation that have lost a lot of humor nowadays.

This is games that make people laugh hard! Cheers!
  14. Jul 1, 2013
    Leisure Suit Larry remains true to the spirit of the original game while incorporating updated artwork and a excellent user interface. The new music score and dialog help as well. The most amazing thing is the depth. There's so many things you can try, every object and action can be applied to everything in the game, often with very amusing results.

Bravo!
  15. Jun 29, 2013
    I downloaded it and started playing away and it brought me back to those summers when I would get the old Sierra Games loaded on my relatives computer. I love the artwork, the interface of the game is smooth no oddness on the game play, but just getting back into the swing of adventure gaming. If you know or come from the generation of Leisure Larry and need a change in gaming, this is oneI downloaded it and started playing away and it brought me back to those summers when I would get the old Sierra Games loaded on my relatives computer. I love the artwork, the interface of the game is smooth no oddness on the game play, but just getting back into the swing of adventure gaming. If you know or come from the generation of Leisure Larry and need a change in gaming, this is one of the games to play for this summer. Expand
  16. Jun 29, 2013
    While the video came industry has matured with sophisticated narrative development, sense of humor, and technology, Al Lowe prods along with most of the same old gags, an almost obsessive dependance on narration (in lieu of dialog and animation), and puzzles you thought were challenging in high school. Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded is everything you'd expect from the original VGA remake inWhile the video came industry has matured with sophisticated narrative development, sense of humor, and technology, Al Lowe prods along with most of the same old gags, an almost obsessive dependance on narration (in lieu of dialog and animation), and puzzles you thought were challenging in high school. Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded is everything you'd expect from the original VGA remake in 1991, if they had access to 2008 technology, and that shouldn't be mistaken as a compliment. There is new content, to be sure, but it's not substantial enough to bear the burden of all the old material and puzzles while you trod through the game.

There's talk of a LSL2 reboot done in a similar vain. I would hope that Replay (an almost ironically apt company name) forgoes rewashing more of Sierra's old laundry and instead focuses on expanding the Larry universe with fresh stories, characters, and design philosophy.

At $19.99, I can't suggest this turkey to any adventure gamer that has grown up and acquired discriminating taste in interactive storytelling. It would have been more palatable at $5.99 as nostalgic curio for tablets or smartphones for those of us eager to relive what we have already done so, many times before.
  17. Jun 30, 2013
    This game's gone beyond my first expectations. Though actual remakes as MI and MI2 didn't satisfied me with those new guybrush (well, maybe the 2nd one is OK, but nothing more) this is what a remake should called.

Look at this, for 20 bucks you get a remastered art piece, with new graphics, new music, completly spoken and subtitled in many languages. And the best, a new graphic adventure that deserves the money you pay.

I laugh at those critics here that just bump MOH and uncharted clones. It's obvious that today, if you want to get a good score, you can't go beyond the common industry. Just follow the white rabbit, buy an engine license and make another battle game set in a future not so far.
  18. Jun 30, 2013
    If you are in your 20's or 30's and are expecting a game on the level of your favorite AAA title...forget about it. If you are in your 40's and 50's and have a fond memory of the early days of PC gaming...especially Larry Laffer and the Leisure Suit Larry games, then this will be an "upgrade" to your previous experience with the early games. It is definitely worth every penny and is notIf you are in your 20's or 30's and are expecting a game on the level of your favorite AAA title...forget about it. If you are in your 40's and 50's and have a fond memory of the early days of PC gaming...especially Larry Laffer and the Leisure Suit Larry games, then this will be an "upgrade" to your previous experience with the early games. It is definitely worth every penny and is not only a remake of the 1st game in regards to the graphic update, but there is new content and puzzles...along with a lot of great narration and humor. It's great to have Larry back and hopefully more to come! Expand
  19. Jun 30, 2013
    Ohhhh Larry. I have been playing Larry for quite a while now, in fact the 5.25 Lounge Lizzard disks are still next to my 8088 waiting to play thru again.

This is the best Larry game I've played in a long time, it brought a tear to my eye I laughed so hard thanks for the remake guys! Its good to relive our youth.
  20. Jul 1, 2013
    Leisure Suit Larry came again! When I was 10 I came accross the orinigal Larry 1. Ever since then I'm a big fan. Needless to say that this game is full of nostalgy for me. I'm looking forward to the next remake and a brand new LSL!
  21. Jul 1, 2013
    A trip back to the good old days, this is a lesson at how adventure games must be done. Don't believe stupid reviewers, this game is gorgeous. Few developers are able to make intelligent games like this, and the critics just wait for more "press A to win" titles.
  22. Jul 1, 2013
    This new edition of LSL1 is fantastic. Everything has been improved: the interface, dialogs, graphics, menus, etc. Furthermore, new characters and puzzles have been included.

I'm not giving a 10/10 mark because I think that the plot could be improved a bit and make it longer (the new characters and situations make it already, but for me, it is not enough). If you enjoyed the old

If you enjoyed the old games of LSL1 to LSL7 (as I did), this game is a must.
  23. Jul 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a part of my mind where the years run together, I remember firing up our 386 computer and playing the VGA remake of Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards with my older brother. I think about those days often. Perhaps it is because video games were better back then, or perhaps it is because I simply enjoyed them more. Either way, the magic in video games is gone. When I backed Larry Reloaded, it was entirely for nostalgic reasons. Remake or not, I wanted to see a new Al Lowe game.
    Playing the game, I found a familiar friend—the old icon bar. One of the greatest things about Larry games were the detailed sensory descriptions. As graphics have improved, this has gone away to the detriment of the gaming experience. A picture may say 1,000 words, but not necessarily the right words. In adventures games, narrators felt like characters in their own right. The narrator interacts with the player, compliments him when he solves a puzzle and mocks him when he is stuck.
    When entering Larry Reloaded, the veteran play will find himself in a familiar place, Lefty’s Bar. He’s been here before and knows what to do. The player walks up to the bar and orders a shot of whiskey. Then he walks to the bathroom and gives that shot to a drunk. However, instead of a TV remote, the drunk gives the player a coaster. Suddenly the player—who was content with a quick jog down memory lane—realizes that Al Lowe and Josh Mandel are going to put him to work a bit. The tweaked puzzles add some life to this game without taking away from the original purpose.
    Any fan of the series should be please with this update. It is exactly what we were promised and then some. I look forward to a remake of LSL2, which was always my favorite. And I’ll be the first in line to back that Kickstarter.
  24. Jul 1, 2013
    I was one of the so-called 'Kick starter' contributors who gave money to this project and I can honestly say that I was very surprised at the final output of the game. It is at least 10 times better than I was hoping because I was a fan of the original games (the Al Lowe ones and not the other 2 'games'). I don't think I have ever laughed so much at a game that I almost fell out of myI was one of the so-called 'Kick starter' contributors who gave money to this project and I can honestly say that I was very surprised at the final output of the game. It is at least 10 times better than I was hoping because I was a fan of the original games (the Al Lowe ones and not the other 2 'games'). I don't think I have ever laughed so much at a game that I almost fell out of my chair playing this game. The artwork is beautiful and bright, the voice acting is top-notch and the music (by Grammy winning Austin Wintory) is even better. Honestly if you enjoyed playing the Al Lowe Leisure Suit Larry games or adventure games in general then download this game right now and start playing! Expand
  25. Jul 1, 2013
    A nice remake with enhanced puzzles great graphics and sound even new parts, if you like adventure games don't miss this game, for me It's worth every penny
  26. Jul 1, 2013
    Leisure Suit Larry is one of the classic games adventure, and this remake is awesome, great graphics, very funny, nice puzzles... Thank you Al Lowe!!.
  27. Jul 1, 2013
    I love this game. I hope Al make more Larry Games. Leisure Suit Larry 2 Reloaded and Leisure Suit Larry 3 Reloaded. When I was 13 years old, i played this Larry games on my Amiga 500.

Wonderfull, Thank you Al
  28. Jun 28, 2013
    In an era of reboots, it's always exciting, and intimidating, seeing one of your favorite franchises being brought back to life, and Larry was no exception. The original Leisure Suit Larry from 1987 was the first game I ever interacted with....as a toddler, so in short, Larry is my Super Mario (quite the comparison, eh?) Reloaded is really more a remake, then a reboot. This time withIn an era of reboots, it's always exciting, and intimidating, seeing one of your favorite franchises being brought back to life, and Larry was no exception. The original Leisure Suit Larry from 1987 was the first game I ever interacted with....as a toddler, so in short, Larry is my Super Mario (quite the comparison, eh?) Reloaded is really more a remake, then a reboot. This time with crisp, animated visuals, a full jazz-ensemble soundtrack (It ain't no Roland MT-32!), full voice acting, and new puzzles.

Presentation wise, Reloaded hits a good majority of the marks. A few scenes come off as a bit out of place. The transition scene when riding in the cab, does look a bit cheap, and face-to-face close ups of the wonderful leading ladies, while beautify drawn, clash with the game's frequent, cartoonish art-style.

On the audio frontier, the game's soundtrack is pleasant to listen to. While the soundtrack from the 1991 VGA remake is incredible, and nostalgic, it was nice to see a lot of new, original music accompany Larry as you attempt to "score" in Lost Wages. Voice acting is top notch. Having Jan Rabson return as the lovable loser, Larry Laffer, pretty much seals the deal. Laffer aside, the other voices are executed wonderfully, and compliment the writing.

Speaking of which, the Larry games (The 'Al Lowe' titles) have always been very well written. The jokes rarely miss, and really enhance the environment and tone of the game. Reloaded stands strong amongst previous entries in the series, and still shows that Leisure Suit Larry is still one of gaming's funniest brands. What might stand out is, excluding the two 3D entries to the series, Reloaded is easily the raunchiest Larry title of the bunch, but it feels natural due to the public's desensitized attitude towards adult humor in today’s world. Never being unintentionally tasteless, the smart writing and clever jokes will never have the subject matter make the player feel like a complete pervert.

The largest change comes to the gameplay. The game does share a very similar story line and puzzle set to the original. There are plenty of new routes and places to explore to complete the game. A walkthrough of the 1987 title, or its 1991 remake, will not get you through this 2013 version. This leaves the game presenting a near perfect balance in familiarity and freshness. The puzzle design is far more sophisticated than the original, and requires the player to think more outside-the-box, then before. Luckily, the refreshed user interface pacifies any intimidation the player may have.

However, some of the weaker points from the original title has made its way back into Reloaded. Namely, the quick-save/quick-load gambling tactic. You constantly need to have cash in your inventory in order to progress. Thankfully, this time around you don't lose if you become broke, and the designers have made it so you can get back on your feet rather quickly once you're penniless. While this does reduce unnecessary challenge, it does handicap any urgency when it comes to balancing your finances. Cab rides and questionable women don't pay for themselves!

Death, a factor quite common in old adventure titles makes a return, but merely for comedic purposes. Dying has no penalty, and is merely a creative way of saying "You screwed up! Try again!" Death is generally avoidable and won't happen too often.

In conclusion, what we have is a solid remake of a PC-gaming classic. It's familiar, nostalgic, yet fresh. Though this title will mainly appeal to fans of Sierra, Al Lowe, and Larry himself, young adventure game aficionados should expect a great time creeping through Lost Wages. If this is the first in a series of remakes, and/or a sign of getting a real Leisure Suit Larry 8, I can say I eagerly await future products from this team. Al Lowe, and Replay Games show that Larry will never be a winner with the ladies, but he'll always be a winner to us gamers.
  29. Jun 28, 2013
    A great expanded remake and a welcome back for gaming's legendary jovial perv.
    A great expanded remake and a welcome back for gaming's legendary jovial perv.
    This is, like the games it remakes, an 80's sex comedy centering around the loser protagonist trying to get lucky in Lost Wages. It's funny, offers some new twists for people who played the original. Adventure game newbies used to detailed hint systems or interfaces that highlight objects may find the game difficult, but it plays like a classic adventure to the core- although the deaths are far less inconvenient, serving more as gag scenes for the player. If you like classic adventures and don't mind some ribald comedy, check it out. If you expect it to be something it's not...steer clear.
  30. Jul 3, 2013
    This is an excellent remake of the original Leisure Suit Larry game!! Thank-you so much to Josh, Al and everyone else that worked so hard to bring us all such an awesome reboot to this classic series of games! Please ignore any negative reviews unfairly given to this superb new remake. They were obviously written by extremely ignorant critics who's reviews are clearly incorrect,This is an excellent remake of the original Leisure Suit Larry game!! Thank-you so much to Josh, Al and everyone else that worked so hard to bring us all such an awesome reboot to this classic series of games! Please ignore any negative reviews unfairly given to this superb new remake. They were obviously written by extremely ignorant critics who's reviews are clearly incorrect, undeserved and just garbage not worth wasting a second of your time reading. Their useless opinions are not what's important, what matters is the opinions of all the people that chose to help fund the making of this game. I can honestly say Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded is worth every penny I contributed through Kickstarter and more. Thank-you Replay for renewing the classic first Leisure Suit Larry game for the world to enjoy again. I can't wait to see what you do with Leisure Suit Larry 2! Expand
  31. Jun 28, 2013

1. Oct 7, 2013
    Although the animation isn't what you expect, Larry's return makes you laugh. It proves that adventure games aren't relics, and that something we considered funny as we were kids is still funny. The game relies on nostalgia, but adds its own flavor to the mix. [Aug 2013]
    A technologically excellent and humorous remake of the original Larry game is an enjoyable little game. Especially for those contemporaries of the once famous series, who are now overgrown by moss. [Issue#232]
  3. Sep 13, 2013
    I just sat there and gambled until I finally felt so angry with the game that I wanted to stab my screen. [Nov 2013, p.78]