Light of Altair PC

• Publisher: SaintXi
  • Release Date: Jun 4, 2009
8.4

1. May 12, 2012
    This is definitely one of those games where the term synergy applies. Although there's no one thing about it that is truly great, the colony building, ship combat, pleasant visuals, and the nice techno-electronica soundtrack combine to make for a fun and engaging gaming experience. Also, the story may not be up to Bethesda RPG standards, but it does serve to move the game along nicely.This is definitely one of those games where the term synergy applies. Although there's no one thing about it that is truly great, the colony building, ship combat, pleasant visuals, and the nice techno-electronica soundtrack combine to make for a fun and engaging gaming experience. Also, the story may not be up to Bethesda RPG standards, but it does serve to move the game along nicely. Additionally, if you're looking for something in the middle ground between the super-simple and uber-complex games, this one is just right for you. It should also be noted that the game was created by just two people and costs 15$. This is interesting as I consider it a lot more fun than the bloated, pretentious, and expensive junk put out by the enormous Blizzard and EA studios. I pretty much agree with everything the IGN reviewer said, though I rate the game slightly higher than they did. In fact I would really like to give it a 9, but since I've not yet finished it I'm erring on the side of conservatism and giving it a solid 8. Expand
  2. AriV
    Jun 22, 2009
    Unlike many modern releases which leave me dissapointedly wanting more due to lackluster gameplay, Light of Altair leaves me wanting more because the core gameplay is just that enjoyable. Many of the boring chore-like tasks of this type of strategy game are removed, which is a pleasant change. Hopefully SaintXi will continue the good work, and add some more complexity to the gameplay Unlike many modern releases which leave me dissapointedly wanting more due to lackluster gameplay, Light of Altair leaves me wanting more because the core gameplay is just that enjoyable. Many of the boring chore-like tasks of this type of strategy game are removed, which is a pleasant change. Hopefully SaintXi will continue the good work, and add some more complexity to the gameplay without adding those unecessary tasks. Expand
  3. PatUnimportant
    Jun 26, 2009
    Aside from the very efficient and pleasing graphics, I found the game to be a big disappointment. The scenarios are very linear. "Do this one thing now. Don't do anything else. Don't research anything else." It's like playing a game with blinders on. You're given no choice which path to take. Everything is repetitious. Plant a colony. Build a power station. Build Aside from the very efficient and pleasing graphics, I found the game to be a big disappointment. The scenarios are very linear. "Do this one thing now. Don't do anything else. Don't research anything else." It's like playing a game with blinders on. You're given no choice which path to take. Everything is repetitious. Plant a colony. Build a power station. Build 'x' hydroponics. Build mines. Lather, rinse, repeat. Wait for further instructions. It's a very pretty interface. I'd love to see these guys advance the idea some. Get rid of the combat - it adds nothing. Make it a more complex economic colonization simulation. Expand
  4. MarcM
    Jun 5, 2009
    This game has a promising design, but lacks adequate documentation. The in game 'Help" menu leaves much about how to win in the hands of the gamer to discover through frustrating trail and error. Combat is resolved automatically, though you can see the your attack strength vs defenders before committing to battle. However, you may lose even if your strength is greater.
  5. JohnJ
    Jul 5, 2009
    Fun, engaging game. Easy to learn, hard to master and I love how the campaign is set up so that you can go back and get higher scores if you wish.
  6. LeoF
    Jun 18, 2009
    I feel this is one of the best games ever made. Its challenging with out being frustrating, simple to understand. A few things really push it over the top for me though. With Research, when you are able to produce something new in the way of buildings or weapons, it vastly changes how you play the game for that mission, and every mission after. The music feels great, and combat is I feel this is one of the best games ever made. Its challenging with out being frustrating, simple to understand. A few things really push it over the top for me though. With Research, when you are able to produce something new in the way of buildings or weapons, it vastly changes how you play the game for that mission, and every mission after. The music feels great, and combat is complex, but with out direct control when the fighting starts. At first it doesn't feel right, but as you get better spacecraft and new weapons, it starts to feel better just to watch how your fleet does in combat with how you set up your ships. Many people are going to say multiplayer is missing from the game, but after one full play through, I hope they change their mind. It really doesn't need it. The single player missions that are given, give you a story that you don't quite expect. It doesn't weigh the game play down, but certainly gives you a feeling of your direction in the game. If you enjoy any type of Civ building, and resource management, with a dash of combat, give this a try. You might be shocked from what you get from this game. Expand
  7. May 5, 2011
    There have been many Space Based RTS games recently, but none have brought this kind of enjoyment, the graphics, while being not exactly 2009 quality, they look good and the most important feature in any game, gameplay....gameplay feels great, the only downside is the lack of a open-ended game mode.

I found the interface very well put together, though it would have been good to see the current relationships with the other factions so you don't accidentally attack the wrong factions, like i have done.

I would have given it a 10/10, if not for the following reasons.

1: Linear gameplay

2: Lack of a open-ended game mode

3: Lack of diplomacy

A decent distraction for strategy fans to indulge in as well as a good entry into the realm of economic strategy titles. There are definitely better ones out on the market, but this one is cheap and will surely run well on nearly any computer from the last few years.
  2. PC Zone UK
    Everything is big and clunky. [Sept 2009, p.74]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Expect no revolution to the genre but a catchy space strategy. Fast paced scenarios and a user friendly interface on the one side, automatic battles and flat music on the other - in a surprisingly entertaining game. [Aug 2009]