8.5

1. Jun 21, 2012
    Easily one of the best indie games and best sim experiences I've ever played. Sells for an absolute bargain price and is always challenging and rewards by the bucket. If you yearn for the halcyon days when PC sims felt and looked great but were still accessible whilst remaining challenging and lets not forget fun and atmospheric then I can't recommend Lunar Flight enough. It looks great, the music is amazing and the sound effects and harsh lighting add to the amazing atmosphere this game weaves around you as you drift across the barren lunar surface. *Highly recommended* Expand
  2. May 30, 2012
    A small yet quite challenging simulation of a lunar landing module. Most of the time you'll be piloting the module from point A to B, carrying out a few missions such as transporting cargo (from A to B), conducting data surveys or recovering lost cargo. The idea is to move between these waypoints to finally land at one of four landing pads where you can refuel and repair the module if necessary. The challenge is to avoid crashing the module and to avoid running out of fuel. With enough experience points you'll gain a new level and have the option to upgrade the module to help make the missions a bit easier.
    It took me about 10-15 attempts to get used to piloting and landing without any crashing. The missions themselves eventually become repetitive but for me, the overall feel of the game and sense of achievement it gives you when you complete each mission is enough to keep me playing.
  3. Jun 21, 2012
    Lunar Flight is a is a gem. The learning curve is a bit steep, unless you want to watch the tutorial videos, but if you decide to learn the game either from fiddling around, or going to the flight school, once this game clicks, it is so rewarding. You can fly cargo form base to base, or go in search of lost cargo, recover data, or even on a time trail through a series of hoops and put your best times against the world. This straddles the line between simulation and game, and it pulls it off beautifully. Not to mention the lovely moonscapes and awesome sounds in the game. Like any game, its not for everyone, but if you have any interest in space, the moon, flying, or you just want a challenge, while still remaining fun, this game is worth checking out. Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2012
    Fun game to pick up and play. Nice moon landscapes. Hard enough to give a challenge. Realistic. I like this game very much, worth every cent you put in it. I would recommend this to any person who is interested in the moon.
  5. Jun 21, 2012
    Lunar Flight is a very good simulation game. Very few games still use space as a background and it it is good to see that this one does. For a small price you get a pretty reasonable indie simulator with strategy elements, which cannot be said about all indie games.
  6. Jun 21, 2012
    This is a great simulator, and very fun to play. It's easy to learn, but difficult to master. There are good tutorials and instructions available, achievements, global high scores, missions. If you ever played Lunar Lander, or enjoy anything related to space, get this. You won't regret it.
  7. Jun 25, 2012
    Simply amazing. I love this simulator so much, I suck at it and I'm having tons of fun with it. And if you suck at a game, but you're having fun. You know it's a pretty damn good game. The only problem I've had was with using my Joystick, other then that no problems. I would also like to put clarification to people saying the first time loading takes really long, I've posted this and got in the same day, a response from the owner saying that in the first time starting up, it will cache 1.7GB of information so you have a better performance. He will later add a loading screen to make that more clear. And to people reading UnbiasedOne's review, it's complete.... argh. The stupidest thing, ever. First of all he complains about the loading time, alright. I explained that here and if he just waited and then gave it a second try he would see that it then takes Expand
  8. Mar 3, 2013
    It started really hard for me... I thought it was confusing and controls too hard... Then I thought: Its a simulator of a lunar module and the game physics for the moon and Mars are real, I gotta give it a REAL shot too. The I saw the videos in the flight school (15 min all of then) and started the game again with caution since I was a beginner. When I got the controls and made some upgrades I was doing the same thing the trailer shows. AWESOME game, really. If you want a game that you can beat without even starting it, this good game is not for you, ig you want some challenge, go for it. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2012
    Shovsoft, I know you are a small, one man developer - so if you happen to be reading this, I want to tell you what a splendid job you did. I am in awe of this game - it's greatness and it's simplicity (after learning it) is unrivaled in the flight-sim genre. I haven't had this much fun playing big budget studio sims, let alone small indie releases.

If a big shot publisher (Microsoft
    Studios, for instance) hasn't picked up the rights to this yet, something is seriously wrong. You should be given a fat check for this license, whilst receiving funding to hire your own design team and bring this to the mainstream.

This game is incredible. Simply incredible.
  10. Jun 21, 2012
    If you enjoy a challenge, you will enjoy this game. Flying the lunar module is like learning a new musical instrument. At first, you will fumble a bit, and it'll seem impossibly unwieldy. But soon you start to get the hang of it and you start racking up the cash to purchase that next upgrade. I've been playing for about 3 months and still see myself improving. It really is like a musical instrument in that the more you play, the better you get over a long period of time. My favorite part of the game is the time trials with global leader boards, but a lot of people seem to enjoy just doing the missions. The main thing to remember is just not to give up! Embrace the challenge! Expand
  11. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is very fun. It has a very steep and unforgiving learning curve in the beginning, and you will crash a lot early on. However, once you figure it out its a blast. It took me a couple of days to actually get positive on money, so don't give up! I'd recommend this to anyone who even thinks they would enjoy a space sim with real physics and an emphasis on simulation.
  12. Jul 18, 2013
    Lunar Flight reminds me of the traditional Lunar Lander in the arcades of yore, challenging yet rewarding. It takes some attention to get the basics down, but mastering all attitude/vector controls will take time. I have spent a little over five hours on the first map so far, and have been able to complete many missions, even survive a few loss of control scenarios.

Oculus Rift
    experience:

This is easily the best VR game I've played for the Rift. While incomplete (beta), the Oculus build shows careful thought in the mechanics and interactivity of the interface. I have played this game for two hours straight with no fatigue and no motion sickness. That's an accomplishment that will attract Rift users in droves. The level of immersion and spatial awareness is most likely what has made the learning curve relax a bit. I heartily recommend this game to all flight/space simulator fans with the Rift!
  13. Jun 18, 2013
    If you love real flight simulation with a little fun, fantastic graphics then join in on an incredible adventure. Great work to the team of Lunar Flight. the most realistic and genuine fun both in failing and succeeding to fly over the Lunar landscape. Thanks guys it is intense, real and most of all fun!
  14. Aug 28, 2012
    I can't believe how much I love this game. It's challenging, relaxing and fun, a real joy to play. Once you get the hang of flight (TIP: keep in mind where the front of the lunar module is) it's a doddle and you can blast about to your hearts content. The missions are a bit limited but then what else is there to do up there other than explore, rescue and transport?
  15. Jun 27, 2012
    I brought this game on Steam for just a few euros, and what a nice surprise !

The first contact is a little bit confusing, even for someone like me who spent hours and hours on Flight Simulator : indeed flying this lunar module is tricky, cause every move you made in a direction of course, you have to reverse it in order to stop it. The module movements feels very natural, you really
    feel the weight of it (to have cargo loading is an excellent idea !). Indeed flying the module reminds me my firsts steps with helicopters in Flight Simulator : gently use the commands, be precise, anticipate.

I really enjoy playing the game for 4 or 5 hours and then begin to feel like I was at the end of what the game has to offer. The missions are very similar from one to another.

But then I tried my first time trial... And seeing I was very far in the score board, I searched on youtube for lunar flights video and came accross the ones by imsorry. Revelation ! Before that I was only using the rcs translations and used the main thruster only to control altitude. But these video show me it is possible to use all of the 3 rotation axis !

I then spent hours and hours again to get better with this new technique, practicing and practicing again. A real pleasure when you begin to feel speed and trajectories ! Today Steam shows me I spent 22 hours in Lunar Flight from now on !

In conclusion, for the price it costs, this game is an absolute must have ! You will learn totally new techniques to fligh, very interesting and challenging !
  16. Jun 29, 2012
    Just popping this in because of UnbiasedOnes crap, I initially had no interest in this, but then I won it in a competition. Guess what, after learning the game properly (it was frustrating in the start) which took about 30 minutes (which is little for a simulation game) I loved it. It is great fun once you get the hang on it, and I can really recommend it.

And to clear up some things
    from UnbiasedOne's (crappy) review:
    1. The four screens lets you actually have full control of the ship, and fly it precise. This is a simulator, not a arcade game. Not to mention it is optional if you cant live with it. 2. Connection is a must? That is Steam, not the game. Put it in offline mode.
    3. "they do not explain how to play the game, they explain what the function is on a real Lunar". Well, this game simulates a lunar almost perfectly. That is like complaining about a car game tutorial describing how to drive a car.
    4. A game being updated and improved means it's not done? That is usually just the case on consoles, but PC games are usually updated after release, to make them better.
    Hope that clears things up
  17. Jun 30, 2012
    watch the tutorial before playing the game, especially the last few video's.
    it will help you to understand proper control of the lunar lander, and show you how to "aim" your landing point from afar by changing the **** display to the third option which locks view to your destination so you can keep your crosshairs aligned with the destination landing pad.

it takes some time to master,
    but its a really fun challenging game. dont expect an arcade style cakewalk. Expand
  18. Jul 22, 2012
    Absolutely loving this little indie game! I was hooked straight off, definitely a game for sim lovers. I will play Orbiter for hours, and this is very similar (although a touch more arcadey). I'm looking forward to future content, the roadmap on the forum is very tantalising.
  19. Aug 20, 2012
    Ok so what do you get for the small price you pay for this game?
    Its a simulation of the Lunar Module and its a good true sim, Lucky tho that the moon has very low gravity so things can go slowly leaving you time to undo mistakes and recover from what would be a sure crash.

The beauty of this sim is its up to you to push the difficulty, first map you can go slow stay level and be safe
    but when you want you can start spinning the LM and instead of using the small thrusters for forward movement use the main engine to throw you forwards, a quick spin round now zipping along at 25m/s face exactly the opposite way and burn the main engine again to slow you down.... sounds easy? its not.... but oh my, it is fun. Expand
  20. Aug 27, 2012
    Not really an indie game player but I do like this one. I could be wrong but surely this game is influenced by the one I played on my commodore 64 back in the day. GREAT price. Challenging. GREAT support from Dev. Nice graphics. Very refreshing game.
  21. Aug 28, 2012
    Just got it off steam, and it fills a void in the game market that is severely lacking.

Enjoyable and challenging.

Loads fast and nice clean graphics. Will stay on my harddrive for a loooong time for sure.
  22. Aug 29, 2012
    This is a REALLY COOL game for sim addicts. This takes me back to the original lunar lander games, a real tribute to the old school. One of the best indie games I have played in recent memory. Bravo!!! You can't beat the cost on steam at its retail price of 9.99 and if you act now it is 50% off of that. I love indie developers.
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    It's great once you understand how to stabilize the lunar module. And that speed is not always desirable. Graphics are good, so is the soundtrack. Bought it because it was on sale on Steam and I don't regret it. Great game!
  24. Jan 21, 2013
    If you enjoy realistic flight simulator's you owe it to yourself to try Lunar Flight. Be patient while working through the initial learning curve, check out the excellent video tutorials and use the practice mode for a while before trying the actual missions or time trials. Once you start completing the missions successfully and upgrading your module, you will be hooked. This is a fine sim... you won't be disappointed unless you are looking for pure arcade. Expand
  25. May 27, 2013
    Just love it. There is zero stress, it feels just right. Take your time learning what's what, and anyone can do it. I can see why some would give up as it does seem a bit over whelming first go, but just keep at it, it just gets easier. Graphics are beautiful and realistic. love the setup also, controls are easy enough to get used to. I couldn't more pleased.
  26. Jun 2, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic lunar lander simulator. After playing this, I really appreciate how Neil, Buzz, and anyone who flew this thing had stones of steel! Fun fun. Kudos to the developer creating such an accurate and new (mostly correct physics) sim.

Would love to see future development (head dev has cautioned he may not continue due to lack of sales on Steam), there is such a strong
    foundation to start a real AA or AAA title from... but make no mistake, this thing is fun now... Expand
  27. Oct 13, 2013
    As of October 13th 2013 this game has made a lot of improvements. If you have an Oculus, this game is a must have! A truly amazing rift experience. So far, the best Oculus VR example available.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Feb 28, 2013
    This is a decent space flight simulation that keeps you coming back, but could have done much better with more depth and more comfort functions.
  2. Jun 22, 2012
    Lunar Flight may not appeal to everyone. Those that dream of flight or have a passion for space exploration owe themselves a look at this game.
  3. May 30, 2012
    An appropriately simplistic arcade update that hits the fun/challenge sweet spot. [June 2012, p.60]