Mafia PC

9.1

1. Sep 10, 2010
    A neat premise is ruined by a moronic leveling system, cardbord characters, a cliched story, and bland environments. I had some fun with it, granted, but it was not what it claimed to be, and was simply mediocre.
  2. Aug 28, 2012
    I haven't even come close to finishing it and I probably won't. The story is fine enough on its own, but the game built around it is mediocre at best. The biggest problem is the gameplay, while not exactly broken, is infuriating. You have so little health that you die before you have time to react, something about the gun mechanics just feels off, driving is difficult and while I mightI haven't even come close to finishing it and I probably won't. The story is fine enough on its own, but the game built around it is mediocre at best. The biggest problem is the gameplay, while not exactly broken, is infuriating. You have so little health that you die before you have time to react, something about the gun mechanics just feels off, driving is difficult and while I might joke about the fact that the cops in the GTA series are fine with you going 100 miles an hour in oncoming traffic but try to kill you if you accidentally scrape one of their cars, I don't mean I want to get pulled over for driving above 40!
    All in all, decent potential, but ruined by a few poor design decisions.
  3. SmokeyMcPot
    Sep 20, 2007
    The missions are fun, but as a GTA knock-off it leaves a lot to be desired. Many aspects of the game are pretty frustrating, and I'm not sure how everyone else has overlooked the fact that it's extremely buggy.
  4. Feb 29, 2012
    Mafia is an uncut diamond. It's got a great story which embraces every mobster cliche with open arms and tells that story using above-average dialogue and cinematic camera work. The car models are beautiful and like the Four Fat Chicks say, the game just "oozes class". But that's where the toasting ends and the roasting begins. The overarching issue with Mafia is that its just...Mafia is an uncut diamond. It's got a great story which embraces every mobster cliche with open arms and tells that story using above-average dialogue and cinematic camera work. The car models are beautiful and like the Four Fat Chicks say, the game just "oozes class". But that's where the toasting ends and the roasting begins. The overarching issue with Mafia is that its just... well... UNFINISHED. Driving around an open-world New York city circa 1933-1935, I was struck by how empty it felt. The city is bare, repetitive and mostly non-functional. Unlike Grand Theft Auto (especially GTA 4 and San Andreas), there's very very little to see and even less to do. Bugs and glitches abound, ranging from popping textures to screen tearing to getting your car stuck in the scenery constantly. While they're well done, the same 3-4 driving tracks that play over and over will have you gouging at your ears long before the game is over. A secondary (but still crucial) complaint is vehicle handling. Since you spend roughly 50% of the campaign behind the wheel of a car, its important that vehicle physics be spot-on. Or at least manageable. They are neither. Cars are so underpowered that they just barely sputter up a small hill but it's also incredibly easy to earn speeding tickets. All but the best 3-4 vehicles are floaty and a complete displeasure to operate. On many occasions I found myself skidding (or spinning, flipping, crashing, take your pick) wildly out of control from the slightest steering adjustment while the police pursuing me drive in such a way that the laws of physics seem to bend to their will. Mafia is very good at what it does right but unfortunately it's only 3/4 of a game that feels like the lofty goals of its developers got cut off at the knees in order to make a deadline. What a shame. Expand
  5. Jun 19, 2013
    I unfortunately played this game after having played Sleeping Dogs, the latest GTA, Just Cause 2, and Saints Row: The Third, so it was difficult for me to get excited playing a game that looks so dated compared to the ones I've played recently. Not only that, but the gameplay isn't as great as everyone raves it to be. Sure, the story is decent, there are some strong characters, and thereI unfortunately played this game after having played Sleeping Dogs, the latest GTA, Just Cause 2, and Saints Row: The Third, so it was difficult for me to get excited playing a game that looks so dated compared to the ones I've played recently. Not only that, but the gameplay isn't as great as everyone raves it to be. Sure, the story is decent, there are some strong characters, and there are some fun missions, but there were to me too many flaws that prevented it from being a stellar piece.

The biggest gripe I had with it? Lack of open-world/sandbox. It's actually a very controlled environment and there isn't much else to do between missions outside of breaking laws, driving like a maniac, and ending on a standoff with the police. With such a vast area, it felt so... boring and empty beyond the missions.

Next biggest gripe would be that it is buggy at times with lots of graphics and physics errors as well as objects and sometimes even people getting stuck in the environment. Sometimes the AI would bug out too.

Cars, while understandably made to be realistic, were annoying to maneuver particularly during car chase scenes. The lack of driving guidance/GPS also bugged me, though I guess that was part of the whole realism factor they were going for.

Graphics, while great for it's time, did not perform any better on my high-end gaming rig than on my mid-level one, which was frustrating.

Overrated, wouldn't really recommend it unless it's cheap.
  6. VinayN.
    May 31, 2004
    This game is definitely the best game i have played in years more eloquent and stylish than GTA/GTA Vice City but it has a host of stability issues it crashes occasionally on my GeForce 440Mx system...maybe it has some incompatibility issues....
  7. Oct 22, 2011
    A decent game that could have been much better. First of all if I'd wanted a driving game I would have bought one. Secondly, I couldn't complete one mission due to the moronic AI of a companion - had to cheat in the end. There were other minor bugs. More positively, the story is good and the game keeps you interested (when not driving constantly) and I did start to care about my character.A decent game that could have been much better. First of all if I'd wanted a driving game I would have bought one. Secondly, I couldn't complete one mission due to the moronic AI of a companion - had to cheat in the end. There were other minor bugs. More positively, the story is good and the game keeps you interested (when not driving constantly) and I did start to care about my character. The missions were varied and interesting and the cut scenes done well. The game was very interactive in its time and the city is excellently rendered. This game minus most of driving and one game breaking mission, was a nailed on 9/10. Expand
  8. Dec 8, 2012
    What a great game! An almost perfect game which is funny to play, but it also has a very good plot, very good graphics and excellent sound. Games like this will never be made again.

1. PC Gamer
    It's rare in this day and age to be truly impressed by a game's graphics, but a lot of your early game time will be spent just marveling at the scenery. [Dec 2002, p.90]
  2. The missions are very well linked between them and in the background you thought of a very interesting but somehow sad story.
    Mafia is dripping with style and class and has certainly shoved itself into the ranks of the best games of this year.