9.0

1. Feb 21, 2011
    You can put 100 on this movie without hesitation. I've played it 4 times. It is the ultimate; it's the supreme game. I'm loving it!
  2. Apr 8, 2012
    Things to know about this game:
    -Its linear (as linear as it gets).
    -Its Sandbox (but NOT like GTA) -It WAS MADE IN 2002 I say this, because i hear people complain about the graphics being dated, the game not being like GTA, and the speed limit being 40mph. But if you actually think about it. The game is not like GTA, because for one it is linear, and most importantly, unlike GTA, Mafias
    Things to know about this game:
    -Its linear (as linear as it gets).
    -Its Sandbox (but NOT like GTA)
    -It WAS MADE IN 2002

But if you actually think about it. The game is not like GTA, because for one it is linear, and most importantly, unlike GTA, Mafias "main bit" is the story. A well writ, well directed movie. A movie where YOU play as the main character.

With that out of the way, Id like to say that while I played, the main thing that pushed me to continue through is the "whats gonna happen next". Maybe I wasn't too much into the actual gameplay, but I can say I really was into the game.
    The gameplay maybe did lack a little something, but if you complain about that you're just missing the point.

The "speed limit" is 40 mph but you can go over that by just putting your foot down. Do expect a fine or two though. You also get fines from destroying road posts and skipping traffic lights.
    Handling is a bit tricky at first, specially with the worse cars, but you start getting used to it and since the game is based in quite a range of years, new better cars are made which you get to drive.

Mafia doesn't seem to have a defined "difficulty curve" (where the game gets progressively harder), instead missions vary substantially, but that is quite satisfying since you sometimes get very easy missions right after finishing some very hard ones. I personally found the first mission quite hard since I wasn't used to the driving and your car is considerably slower.

The story as I said is very well told and contains all the "cliches" you might expect from an Italian Mafia game/movie/book. The game was just what i was hoping and I don't see why people would criticise such a fine piece work.
    Murder, car chases, guns, torture, cars, prohibition, gambling, love, betrayal... exactly what I would expect from a game that chose "Mafia" as its title.
  3. Oct 3, 2012
    El mejor juego de todos los tiempos....... su música, la jugabilidad y la libertad de bagar por la ciudad es realmente lo mejor, el nivel visual para la época era sorprendente, aunque algunas cosas eran deficiente y falta mas para pulir pero en general es una obra de arte..
  4. Sep 25, 2012
    Un juego impecable argumentalmente hablando, con personajes con carisma que logran la inmersión completa del jugador. Sin tener en cuenta que fue lanzado en 2002, artísticamente formidable porque logra recrear con mimo los detalles de la ciudad y sus alrededores; sonidos realistas de la misma como fiel recreación de la vida de cualquier metrópoli. Mafia es sinUn juego impecable argumentalmente hablando, con personajes con carisma que logran la inmersión completa del jugador. Sin tener en cuenta que fue lanzado en 2002, artísticamente formidable porque logra recrear con mimo los detalles de la ciudad y sus alrededores; sonidos realistas de la misma como fiel recreación de la vida de cualquier metrópoli. Mafia es sin duda alguna un balance perfecto entre guión y juego: una obra maestra. Expand
  5. Nov 24, 2013
    Mafia is simply the best game I ever played. It was released on 2002, eleven years ago, and it still seems to have been released yesterday. The cars, the people, the story, the atmosphere... when I play it, I suddenly time-travel to the 1930's. I almost feel the fear on other people, the weight os the car in my hands, and the rain falling all around me, as I risk my life for the SalieriMafia is simply the best game I ever played. It was released on 2002, eleven years ago, and it still seems to have been released yesterday. The cars, the people, the story, the atmosphere... when I play it, I suddenly time-travel to the 1930's. I almost feel the fear on other people, the weight os the car in my hands, and the rain falling all around me, as I risk my life for the Salieri family. There will never be another game like it. The attention to detail while developing this game was absolutely amazing. There are no repeated textures on buildings, they're all different, cars can run out of gas, and the gas tank can hit by bullets, you can get fined if you drive over the speed limit, or if you pass a red-light. Police will arrest you if they see a gun. In other games, you can do illegal things, but in this game, you FEEL that you are doing illegal things. I think metacritic should get an eleventh score, so that we could accurately score this game. Expand
  6. May 27, 2011
    Epic game. Epic story, characters, gun fights and graphics (at that time,but still good today), city ... everything.

One of the best games ever created.
  7. Jul 18, 2011
    One thing I'm going to say about this game.It's a MASTERPIECE.The story is awesome with strong characters, the gameplay fantastic and the world is so real ant believable. This game is one of the best of its type.
  8. Aug 13, 2011
    Mafia:The City of Lost Heaven is a great game! The graphics are not the best but if you see this game was made a pretty long time ago,like 9 years (in 2002).I've given this game a 9 rating because it's a very good game but not perfect either.The story is great,explains every part of Thomas Angelo's life,and you can enjoy a big adventure in this game.The music is very good,and the graphicsMafia:The City of Lost Heaven is a great game! The graphics are not the best but if you see this game was made a pretty long time ago,like 9 years (in 2002).I've given this game a 9 rating because it's a very good game but not perfect either.The story is great,explains every part of Thomas Angelo's life,and you can enjoy a big adventure in this game.The music is very good,and the graphics are good for a 9 years old game.I saw lot's of reviews were people rated 0,1,2 or 4,that wasn't a decent rating.These people didn't even play the game or they are some trolls who want to spoil a such a good game!
    If you like the "mafia" type's of games I recommend to play this game.
  9. Dec 5, 2011
    Most realistic game ever! I usually hate that but for 2002 the graphics, story and authenticity were and still for me remain- unmatched. If you have any interest in 1930s America, a good gangster story or anything along those lines, you HAVE to experience this game. It's sold 2 million copies on PC and it plays NOTHING like a GTA. This has nothing in common at all with Grand Theft Auto.Most realistic game ever! I usually hate that but for 2002 the graphics, story and authenticity were and still for me remain- unmatched. If you have any interest in 1930s America, a good gangster story or anything along those lines, you HAVE to experience this game. It's sold 2 million copies on PC and it plays NOTHING like a GTA. This has nothing in common at all with Grand Theft Auto. Free roam is a separate game mode. The actual story is linear, with no free roam. What gets me is how the city is so beautifully designed, it's large, the graphics are a million times better than GTA 3, the guns and cars are very realistic, with a greater variety in them. There is even an encyclopedia of the cars included in the game menus. The soundtrack is STUNNING. But the game is entirely driven by the story and the characters. It's a very good story but also told in an interesting way. The level design, soundtrack, graphics, and realism in everything from getting scratches on your car, running out of fuel and getting fines for speeding to the motion capture and gunplay- all contribute to making this a masterpiece in generations to come. This is a once-in-a-decade game that does everything well, and it was developed by a small team too. This game should NOT be compared to GTA 3. It should be compared to the finest films and novels out there. It's something VERY special that MUST be experienced to be believed. Expand
  10. Aug 23, 2012
    The best game ever.The most realistic game in its time,great story,exciting missions and gunshots,with a new driving system and detailed cars and at last the best graphic in its time....
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    While the game undoubtedly has a slower start, it is TOTALLY worth it. Lost Heaven is a beautiful period piece that feels like an actual, living world. The gameplay is nice, and not easy either. It's a MUST BUY for any fan of open world games, crime dramas, or shooters.
  12. Sep 22, 2014
    How to start ... for me, this game is a masterpiece. This game gives me a feeling like no other game does not succeed. My guess is that the game has all that well developed. Honestly, I have not done just once, but 2-3 times.

"The guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything. Of course, the guy who wants too little from life might not get anything at all." - Thomas Angelo
  13. Sep 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I first played Mafia many years ago when it came out, I was drawn into the story, found the style fascinating and even though i also had GTA at the time, I spent my hours playing Mafia instead. I recently played the game again for nostalgia and again, I can simply say, Mafia is one of my favourite games of all time. There are so many memorable missions, such as the levels where you attack the airport trying to catch someone, or where you break into a persons house to steal from his safe, or the mission where you assassinate someone from miles away and then make a getaway. The game is absolutely fantastic, and even though some people cannot get it to work, i feel that is a real shame as this game truly is one that everyone should play through atleast once. Expand
  14. Feb 7, 2012
    You can play it on 13 years old computer from now, and you can still be impressed of graphics,sounds,characters,cars and the manner of treatment..After play this game,if you can still compare with the others,so you must definitely uninstall it.
  15. Apr 12, 2013
    The best game ever made. Brilliant story-line, very good graphics, good soundtrack, which is one of the best in video game history, brilliant made characters and many more thinks which players love in this game
  16. Apr 22, 2013
    This game was obviously ahead of its time. The atmopshere, the mission design, the story, the music, the setting... Everything seems to blend together. The game's weak part is the freeroaming aspect. Many people compare Mafia to GTA but it is really more common with The Getaway series, but even then, it is much different. BY FAR one of the best games I ever have played.
  17. Jun 2, 2013
    This is one of the best games of my childhood.I remember every dialogue from the game.
    I don't think if theres any problem with story or graphics they both are awesome.Back in these days when there was only Directx 8.I will never forgive this game.Its still inside my brain
  18. Sep 22, 2014
    **************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** Expand
  19. Mar 5, 2013
    Simply the most epic game I've ever played. The plot, the graphic, the music, the message. This game was so far ahead the other games in these years, and it provided a lot of hours of beautiful gameplay to me and my friend.
  20. Aug 4, 2013
    Najbolja priča ikada, i filmovi su rijetki ove kvalitete, a pritom još i dosta realistično sa odličnim klasičnim soundtrackom, grafikom i svim svime ostalim.
  21. Nov 3, 2013
    One of the best games ever. It has amazing music and gameplay is really fun. Even after completing story mode you can always play in free ride mode. Game is pretty long and hard but it's still fun to play. Characters are voiced very well. Bad thing about the game is the fact that some missions are pretty much same and pretty boring.
    If you love to drive a car, shoot people (in games) and
    If you love to drive a car, shoot people (in games) and watch great cutscenes, then you should play this game. It's really entertaining.
  22. Aug 26, 2014
    People must stop compare every TPS shooter game with GTA, it's a bit annoying that if some game is not like GTA then must be bad? -NO! This game is a MASTERPIECE! If you are a true gamer and you played "MAFIA" you will know this game is great a real masterpiece as I said.
    Yes it's linear but hey it's a game from 2002 you must compare that too. The story is the best among all mafia/gangster games. Now the year is 2014, more then 12 years has passed when MAFIA came out and it's still the best mafia/gangster game you can play. Other thing the graphics are great for a 2002 game! This game really deserves 10/10 score!
  23. Jul 21, 2014
    I was totally amazed by story. I've played it dozens of times and I must say I really like the difficulty because it's not easy like games in these days.
  24. Oct 16, 2014
    It's still the best game ever. Have you tried these new games like GTA, Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, Driver and so on? Now you must say that Mafia is much better. The people from studio which maked this game really cared about fans, they wanted to hear their opinions. Love the story and of course graphics. Czech republic rules.

1. It's rare in this day and age to be truly impressed by a game's graphics, but a lot of your early game time will be spent just marveling at the scenery. [Dec 2002, p.90]
  2. The missions are very well linked between them and in the background you thought of a very interesting but somehow sad story.
    Mafia is dripping with style and class and has certainly shoved itself into the ranks of the best games of this year.