6.9

1. Sep 13, 2012
    Pretty fun and much better than its predecessor. Worth the money and even more fun with a friend. I wish you could customize your decks a bit further but such is life. Great way to learn how to play the card game or perhaps get a bit better at it/understand the rules a bit more.
  2. May 28, 2013
    The gameplay is great for a Magic beginner, since you won't have to get mad while trying to create the perfect deck (though this will also be a limitation for more experienced players), and is like the card game, and as such very good. The interface is nice if a little clumsy. But the real problem are the loading times (at least on the Steam version I got don't know if there are differentThe gameplay is great for a Magic beginner, since you won't have to get mad while trying to create the perfect deck (though this will also be a limitation for more experienced players), and is like the card game, and as such very good. The interface is nice if a little clumsy. But the real problem are the loading times (at least on the Steam version I got don't know if there are different ones). On my computer, after I start Magic I will have to look at my desktop for approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Then the loading screen appears for another minute or so. Then finally the logos fade in and you're in. Unless it gets stuck in the loading screen, in which case you'll have to restart the computer. I have other friends and it's the same for everyone. Very frustrating. If a card game requires loading times that are more than 10x the loading times of Bioshock Infinite, for example, something is very wrong. Expand
  3. Jul 2, 2012
    The only redeeming quality is the price-tag. When Stainless Games first started advertising this game the big highlight was all of the improvements from Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. Unfortunately, most of them didn't make it into the finished product. Bugs and glitches still run rampant. Combat with more than 4 creatures is still a nightmare (despite screenshots seen inThe only redeeming quality is the price-tag. When Stainless Games first started advertising this game the big highlight was all of the improvements from Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012. Unfortunately, most of them didn't make it into the finished product. Bugs and glitches still run rampant. Combat with more than 4 creatures is still a nightmare (despite screenshots seen in advertisements). You can not edit the amount of land in a deck, which makes certain decks unbalanced. The decks are incredibly bland with uninteresting themes and poor selections of cards. The Planeschase gamemode is interesting until it does something that completely changes the flow of the game. When this happens the game sits there for 10 minutes while all the effects resolve and there is nothing to do but wait while the timer ticks off each one. The list goes on, but you get the idea. All in all it seems that Stainless Games did not learn from their mistakes, nor did they listen to the players. After a second failure I don't think Wizards of the Coast will license Stainless Games to make another Magic game. If you want new decks and new game modes the $10 price-tag might draw you in, but the rule of thumb seems to be that if it's made by Stainless Games then it's going to be poor quality. Expand
  4. Jul 7, 2012
    For those who never played the previous editions: Duels of Planeswalkers does not allow you to build your own deck. It has a number of predefined decks with 60 card plus 30 more that are unlockable in-game by winning matches or by purchasing deck unlocks.

That said, this quite a nice game to play solo or with a friend. The available decks contains some pretty crappy cards. This is very annoying at first - even after unlocking some nice cards you're still stuck with them. However, after playing a while, I find it interesting to beat more powerful opponents with cards you would never put in your deck.

The interface is great and the game flows nicely. Everything is quite self-explanatory and you can easily pause the game the read cards you don't know. This makes this game perfect for beginners, but you can turn off all the tips if you already know the game. It also contains some challenges to make the you more familiar with common strategies - also great for the inexperienced, but reasonably easy for long time players.

There seem to be some problems with multiplayer, although I never had any while playing with my friends. However, I've had a number of crashes while playing Planechase, which is **very** annoying, because they tend to be long games.

I don't think this game will ever have custom deck building like so many people have been asking. Wizards of the Coast wants to sell cards. They already have an online Magic game that requires you to buy boosters, decks, etc (MTGO). Allowing custom builds will threaten to cannibalize their own product.

Bottom line, this is a very nice casual game and definitely worth the price. If you are a MTG beginner (even if you never played it before) or just would like to play a match when there is no one around to play with, this is an excellent game. If you are looking for the full MTG experience and can't get over the fact that you won't be building your own deck, this is probably not your game.
  5. Jun 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics and clean gameplay with a rich environment with smooth card control make this a pretty solid addition to any gamers library, especially if you're a Magic: The Gathering fan. Unfortunately they failed to translate the rules properly and still haven't fixed errors this long after release. If this edition wants to use a different ruleset that would be fine, but it prints the same rules on the same cards and the interactions are blatantly wrong. (Hexproof has never prevented blocking, but apparently here it does, and that's just one example.) Expand
  6. Jul 21, 2012
    I've put enough time to beat over 80% of the game and I can honestly say it is a broken piece of trash. I put around 10 hours of it but each hour was frustrating and awful.

Deck customization is limited in a horrible way. You cannot adjust the amount of land in the decks. Some decks have 4-5 more land than I would build a regular deck with and you end up flooded with it towards the end of the game. The RNG seems horribly broken and even with excess land I will sometimes have to re-draw 3-4 times and still end up with only 1 land or plain awful hands (or 2 lands and rest 4+ high mana cards despite the plethora of lower cost cards in the deck) and have to restart the duel. Even using card mana cost ratios similar to what I would use in my real decks generates results that are inconsistent.

You are also limited to 10 different decks, of which only 1 is multi color which limits the experience. Why have two different blue decks? Why not combine the card pool and allow players to have more deck building ability?

Each deck has 30 cards to unlock. You unlock one card with each victory. Unfortunately a large chunk the starter cards for many of the decks are just plain terrible which makes it hard to win the first battles. Too bad alot of the cards you unlock are garbage also and you may end up going through 15 battles and getting none of the cards you wanted to add to the deck.

Some of the animations such as Exalted take forever to resolve and you must wait for a count down timer for each part of the round even though you are playing with AI. Why can't you just skip it? This drags the battles out far longer than they need to be.

It is based off a console control system which makes the deck interface and the main menu a pain to navigate.

All of this adds up to an incredibly negative experience for anyone who has enjoyed playing this game in person. Frustration from start to finish.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Definitely superior to its predecessors. The, admittedly few, improvements are more than welcome, as is the case with the new Planechase mode ('Archenemy' will be missed, however). [August 2012]
  2. Aug 12, 2012
    New year, same problems. Without deck customization, Magic: Duels of Planeswalker 2013 couldn't be a masterpiece, just a good game.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 10, 2012
    Extremely catchy strategy based on the classic trading card game Magic the Gathering. Nothing more nothing less. [Issue#220]