Magicka PC

7.6

1. Mar 10, 2015
    Wow, what a total laugh this game is. It is all about frantic spell combinations on the fly as you try to escape each level of increasing complexity. It's much deeper than it appears at first glance. It's quite simply something you have to experience for yourself. This is a 2.5D spellcasting ARPG with the emphasis on combining 8 spell schools into 5 slots per casting, to affect andWow, what a total laugh this game is. It is all about frantic spell combinations on the fly as you try to escape each level of increasing complexity. It's much deeper than it appears at first glance. It's quite simply something you have to experience for yourself. This is a 2.5D spellcasting ARPG with the emphasis on combining 8 spell schools into 5 slots per casting, to affect and counteraffect what is being cast on you at high speed. You run around like a lunatic setting yourself on fire and healing enemies by accident until you get the hang of it, all to the ultimate effect of laughter and sheer desperation. I restate that the game is MUCH deeper than it looks at first glance, with the 8 aforementioned schools being further affected by many different types of robes that give specific boosts at the expense of specific drawbacks. In other words, this game has ENDLESS combinations to try out right at the start.This is a finely balanced, extremely well thought out game that gets top marks from me for inventiveness. It is all about desperately trying for that one spell combo that will keep you alive for just one more moment as the difficulty ramps up. i haven't had this much fun in a long time, with the GF exclaiming that she hasn't heard me laugh out loud at a game for quite some time. The game runs like a charm on my system, with most of the processing being in the spell effects as the maps and characters are quite simple. Nice music, HILARIOUS NPC's, maps just complicated enough to give you some obstacles in your mad dash to a safe spot so you can charge up your next powerful and untested spell combo. Oooops, electrocuted myself and healed the guy with the bag of bombs by accident, must start level over again. 20 minutes down the drain, seemed like 5.
    Next spell, I think I'll try 3 electro's 1 fire and one freeze. No wait, I should spray them first to maximize the electroshock. No wait, I sprayed myself, better heal. No wait, I accidentally combined heal with spray and now I have a fully healed wet guy point-blanking me in the face with a blunderbuss. Gaaaah, dead again, can't even wait to reload the level this is just so much fun. I simply have to rate this a 9 because that's just about as high as i go. I cannot wait to get good enough to take this to muliplayer, and I am drooling over the prospect of Magicka 2 which is coming out in mere weeks.

Most excellent indeed, should be played by anyone that values frantic mayhem against mobs most melodramatic and downright funny.
  2. Feb 9, 2015
    Magicka is a fantastic experience that is most fun with friends. You can play as a variety of robes, each with it's own weapon and staff. The campaign is fun to play, but the best part is PVP. The bugs are a major problem in the games and sometimes even prevent playing the game. Besides bugs, the game is actually really nice.
  3. Jan 19, 2015
    A very authentic action-packed game. The magical uses and combo's seem to be endless and the storyline and characters are really funny. This game is incredibly fun to play with friends on LAN or internet. I've been playing this multiplayer with a friend. Some battles we had to do over again for about 15 times. It might be just because we are not that good, or didn't discover theA very authentic action-packed game. The magical uses and combo's seem to be endless and the storyline and characters are really funny. This game is incredibly fun to play with friends on LAN or internet. I've been playing this multiplayer with a friend. Some battles we had to do over again for about 15 times. It might be just because we are not that good, or didn't discover the opponent's weaknesses quickly enough, but in my opinion the game is challenging without ever being frustrating. A rare combination. Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2014
    A brilliant game with the most innovative spell casting systems I've seen to date. Why can't more games be this creative? On the surface it seems simple, you get 8 elements and combine them into spells. This turns into hundreds of combinations though each with their own uses.

It's fun to play and the challenge of using the proper elements for a situation is great. It also has a ton of references that had me chuckling :D.
  5. Jul 4, 2014
    It's not perfect, but the gameplay is addictive and smart... it's an hard game, but in the good way, it takes time to master it, and you need to think about what you're doing. Really fun!
  6. Jan 31, 2014
    Combine your 8 elements into powerful magic and unleash an enormous number of combinations upon your enemies !!!! ... or your friends.

I think I never laughed so much playing a game (probably only Monkey Island made me laugh harder, but that was single player), so this is the funniest game to play with your friends !!! This is the funniest game where you can KILL your friends.... and laugh about it. Frozen in an ice cube, incinerated, electrocuted, crushed by giant stones, exploded by the electric ice wall of death... yes that's an actual magic combo you can create.
    This game offer so much possibilities you will not advance a single chapter in the story until you have killed your friends (or yourself ) at least 30 times, you'll enjoy hours of experimenting with magic combinations, trying to find the deadliest spell or the safest shield.
    The game is also full of easter eggs and references, I can assure you there are a LOT of them, from Star Wars to The Lord of The rings, from Castelvania to Tomb Raider, from Reservoir Dogs to Zelda, just play it and find them !

Magicka is one of the funniest, brilliant and enjoyable games you will ever play, the Swedish-english gibberish of dialogues will make you laugh for hours.

The only cons about this game is that it's often buggy and the graphics should, and could, have been done better.
  7. Jan 3, 2014
    Highly enjoyable, mostly. The steam store and videos don't really do this game justice, I myself was deterred by the lack of any real HUD and the potentially featureless environments shown in gameplay videos across then internet. When I bought it in the Humble Bundle, it sat at the back of my library, ignored for a few weeks.
    Due to my impulse that I shouldn't buy a game in a bundle/pack
    Due to my impulse that I shouldn't buy a game in a bundle/pack and then never play it, I launched the game and discovered the amazing gameplay style. With the element-cimbining gameplay, this game offers a whole different perspective on "Magic" games. As opposed to casting the spell at the right thing at the right time, the focus of this game is the actual creation of the spell and the execution of it. While there are literally thousands of spells created by combining elements to give effects influenced by what the spell is made up of, there are "Magicks" that are particular combinations of elements that can be executed in a different way to create very particular results.
    The above forgives the minimal HUD (which, after a few breakings of the 4th wall, turns out to be deliberate) and the fact you don't seem to be able to translate the audio in the cutscenes from German, only read the subtitles. The infinite references to internet events and real life occurances are hugely amusing in parts and the characters in the game break the fourth wall constantly.

A successful effort from Paradox to show that graphics, HUD, a serious storyline and coop gameplay are not necessary in a game. A hugely enjoyable experience with only a few blips, strongly recommended.
  8. Dec 23, 2013
    The game is great! it have a very cool and funny history, the combos and magicks are fun to use and make a lot of sence too the only thing in this game that someone can complain about is the mechanic wich tis kinda of hard to learn at first
  9. Dec 17, 2013
    This is still the best PC game to come out in this decade.

It's not your average dumbed down handholding power fantasy, but you must be very incompetent at playing games and learning things for it not to click.

We need more games that don't treat the players as if they're all mentally challenged kids.
  10. Dec 11, 2013
    absolutely great game, it has a pleasing art style, unique magic system, it also has its moments when it comes to humor, I am wondering why its metascore is not higher to be quite honest.
  11. Nov 21, 2013
    Magicka um jogo ao mesmo tempo dramático e engraçado. muito divertido! A variedade de magias e o sistema de conjuração delas faz do jogo um item essencial para quem adora jogar entre amigos. O único porém o seu limite de jogadores online: 4 magos.
  12. Nov 12, 2013
    This is a really fun game with unique mechanics and a great sense of humor. Its a challenging game that does not take itself too seriously after all dying and being killed by friendly fire are DEFINITELY part of the game. I highly recommend cooperative play but it is still fun in single player mode.

The graphics are great, the pace is quick and the sound is well done. Grab this when its on sale and you won't be sorry.
  13. Sep 17, 2013
    Magicka is a fun game with an innovative magic system and hectic action. It can get *too* hectic with several players in co-op, to the point where you're killed inadvertently by your friends more often that you're killed by enemies, but that's half the fun, and frequent use of the revive spell is needed. The game has almost Monty Python-esque humor that works well with the style of fun inMagicka is a fun game with an innovative magic system and hectic action. It can get *too* hectic with several players in co-op, to the point where you're killed inadvertently by your friends more often that you're killed by enemies, but that's half the fun, and frequent use of the revive spell is needed. The game has almost Monty Python-esque humor that works well with the style of fun in the gameplay.

In the magic system, various elements can be added to a charge and then used in one of various ways, meaning you can make hundreds of custom spells on the fly. On top of this there are unique spells that require specific sequences to activate with special effects that must be found in books before they can be used. Using beam attacks feels amazing, and the mines send enemies flying in a very satisfying way.

This game is not for people that get frustrated by exploding in inexplicable, almost cartoonish ways, but rather for high-energy low-seriousness fun, alone or with one or two friends.
  14. Jun 23, 2013
    Terribly underrated game. Magicka is very fun to play, and eve funner with friends. The game is fun, challenging and exciting, with many different levels, enemies and elements you can combine in different ways to kill your enemies. Magicka is filled with fun refrences to almost every popular movie and game ever made. I recommend playing this game with your friends, it's a lot more funTerribly underrated game. Magicka is very fun to play, and eve funner with friends. The game is fun, challenging and exciting, with many different levels, enemies and elements you can combine in different ways to kill your enemies. Magicka is filled with fun refrences to almost every popular movie and game ever made. I recommend playing this game with your friends, it's a lot more fun than playing it alone Expand
  15. May 25, 2013
    Most complaints about this game's controls or the bugs and glitches. The bugs were ironed out a short while after release, and although problems do exist, it's worth fighting through those to play the games (especially with friends).

The controls seem clunky at first, but that's mainly due to the fact that no other game has a similar control scheme. Yes, there are other dungeon scrollers that have spells, but no game revolves entirely about the interaction of those spells (and the lack of a mana bar); and once these are mastered, the game becomes incredibly fun to play.

It's worth buying at full price, but sales are often enough for it on steam that you can pick it up for $5 or $2.50. I'd recommend picking up the addon campaigns too, as they're cheap, but add large portions to the base game.

In the end, if the gameplay doesn't convince you, it's fun to play to guess all the references. From the wizards who say "ni" to the sword AND the stone (an amazing sword/hammer thing), you'll be able to nod to something.

And if you're not having fun playing single player, just play with friends. I've found it impossible to play a game with friends on skype, without bursting into laughter at our own stupidity.
  16. Mar 15, 2013
    A great game that has improved greatly over time, whether it be bug fixes, the Zelda fairy, the humour, references, gibberish, the lot! A great game that I love spending time in, this game was made from an original and innovative concept, and with some very worthwhile DLC adventures, like "The Stars Are Left", be sure to it up sometime, preferably the complete collection on a common enoughA great game that has improved greatly over time, whether it be bug fixes, the Zelda fairy, the humour, references, gibberish, the lot! A great game that I love spending time in, this game was made from an original and innovative concept, and with some very worthwhile DLC adventures, like "The Stars Are Left", be sure to it up sometime, preferably the complete collection on a common enough Steam sale Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2013
    Holy poptarts in a pizza box, this is how you make a magic system. The controls are kinda wonky, and it's release was glitched to the point of them releasing a free dlc that adds a new spell, crash to desktop, and a bugged staff, broken sword, and patched robe. Get this game and every dlc, it's just too good. I'm a big magic geek, (Look at my name. I'm leet wizard.) and I know for a factHoly poptarts in a pizza box, this is how you make a magic system. The controls are kinda wonky, and it's release was glitched to the point of them releasing a free dlc that adds a new spell, crash to desktop, and a bugged staff, broken sword, and patched robe. Get this game and every dlc, it's just too good. I'm a big magic geek, (Look at my name. I'm leet wizard.) and I know for a fact that this is how I'm going to train my kids to use spells when they grow up. Put them infront of this game, tell them how to play, and one week later, work with them to do... Magic evil things. Okay, time for the review.

Things I like-
    -Four player co op throughout everything.
    -Three great game modes to choose from.
    -Best. Magic. System. Ever.
    -Good music.
    -Good graphics.
    -Hilarious humor!

Things I don't like-
    -It's still kinda glitchy, but it's tolerable.
    -It's so easy to die!
    -Level 10's boss is too hard singleplayer, but multiplayer, it's easy.

In the end, Buy. This. Game.
    Now.
    And buy all the dlc's.
    For you and all your friends.
    9/10, if it's less buggy, solid 10.
  18. Jan 28, 2013
    The game simply does not stand my expectations!The concept and the gameplay are nice but this game is full of bugs!Low FPS bug,crash bug,not connecting with specific people bug and a lot of other bugs.I can connect with my brother and I can't connect with my friend OMG!I reached Chapter 11 and I am stuck there because of the bugs!The developers simply don't do anything about the bugs.TheyThe game simply does not stand my expectations!The concept and the gameplay are nice but this game is full of bugs!Low FPS bug,crash bug,not connecting with specific people bug and a lot of other bugs.I can connect with my brother and I can't connect with my friend OMG!I reached Chapter 11 and I am stuck there because of the bugs!The developers simply don't do anything about the bugs.They just release DLC for an unplayable game.I am sad that Paradox Interactive released it because I like Paradox Interactive.Stay away from it until they fix the bugs. Expand
  19. Jan 27, 2013
    This is an amazing party game to play with 2-3 friends and a mediocre single player experience. If you realize that you're buying a multiplayer game to share with your friends either online or at a LAN party you won't regret this for a second, but if you were misled into believing that this is some kind of single player RPG with in depth statistics and character customization you will beThis is an amazing party game to play with 2-3 friends and a mediocre single player experience. If you realize that you're buying a multiplayer game to share with your friends either online or at a LAN party you won't regret this for a second, but if you were misled into believing that this is some kind of single player RPG with in depth statistics and character customization you will be disappointed.

Taking it for what it is, a hilariously entertaining party game with a unique spell casting system and slapstick deaths as your more aggressive party members frequently kill their own friends, it deserves a 9/10.
  20. Jan 21, 2013
    The most fun I have had playing with friends in a long, long time. Would recommend if you are able to play with mates. It's a fun and creative game, with many clever references and a good sense of humour overall, and it is good to find a game that doesn't take itself too seriously.
  21. Jan 20, 2013
    The very battle of the elements, the bathrobe wizards control absolutely anything, no one is safe and easy to fall into the trap. The game feels like an old school game from Snes,but for PC.Its a hardcore game,you have to be on your toes, but it feels casual the way you can control the enemies and how you solve the situation. Recommend mouse+keyboard.
  22. Jan 18, 2013
    O jogo mágicka é um excelente jogo indie. Você pode curti-lo de várias formas. A mais prazeroza, sem dúvidas, é jogar com os amigos. O que não impede de jogar sozinho, onde o desafio é bem maior.
    Após ver este video www.youtube.com/watch?v=28XoBMviIPk , comprei-o e me juntei com amigos para gastar horas aprendendo novas combinações de elementos, e formulando estratégias (que na maioria das vezes falharam rs).
    O unico defeito, é consumir muito recurso do seu computador, o que não vejo motivos.
  23. Jan 13, 2013
    I must admit, playing this alone is a waste of time, but if you get together with some friends, this game is a mass of fun and chaos, with unknown spells flying everywhere, and a nice long campaign to keep you entertained for quite a while.
  24. Dec 23, 2012
    Magicka is a brilliant game! i think it's important to say that its is a very difficult one too, however they should have made an option for the difficulty. In my opinion the game starts with a great and also funny story in which everything makes a more parody impression than a serious story normally does. Along the game you have to create strategies to get along a lot of enemies or strongMagicka is a brilliant game! i think it's important to say that its is a very difficult one too, however they should have made an option for the difficulty. In my opinion the game starts with a great and also funny story in which everything makes a more parody impression than a serious story normally does. Along the game you have to create strategies to get along a lot of enemies or strong ones, that's also in the coop mode great. Playing the storyline togheter is also working better than expected but the friends often get accidentaly killed. Expand
  25. Dec 19, 2012
    There is a solid reason why this game has scores all over the place: When it worked it was one of the most dumb, enjoyable experiences I've ever had in gaming, but when it didn't I wanted to tear my hair out because I couldn't wait to get to the fun part when it worked again. It is quite sad considering that the game was so amazing that it fell on faults that have nothing to do withThere is a solid reason why this game has scores all over the place: When it worked it was one of the most dumb, enjoyable experiences I've ever had in gaming, but when it didn't I wanted to tear my hair out because I couldn't wait to get to the fun part when it worked again. It is quite sad considering that the game was so amazing that it fell on faults that have nothing to do with gameplay or story, but the bugs. OH THE BUGS. These are bugs of "Alien"-proportions, huge, gamebreaking, annoying, all of it at once. If the game was released later it would have been even more of a smash hit than it was, and hopefully Arrowhead and Paradox both learns their lesson to not push promising projects out the door.

It is a clear 10/10 when it works, and a 0/10 when it doesn't. These days it's however patched up and working, the game it was supposed to be, which earns it an 8/10 from me. The fun to be had can simply not be ignored, especially now when it is fixed up. If you are looking for some cheap, stupid fun with preferably 3 friends over the christmas holidays I can warmly recommend this game.
  26. Nov 23, 2012
    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥It's a great game u must buy it ^^ I am downloading the game now ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
  27. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is fantastic, despite technical limitations (the game could run more smooth and have more video options) this game is EPIC, endless fun and very cheap. Just buy it, worth every coin.
  28. Aug 29, 2012
    This game is incredibly fun with multiple players. The people complaining about it being unplayable are the people who INSIST on playing it on a laptop. This game will not work well on a laptop period and they should clearly state that on the store page. It does have some bugs and issues but it's totally worth it for it's unique game-play and replay-ability.
  29. Jul 24, 2012
    Magicka is a funny and awesome game. For ten dollars you can have lots of fun, and more than 10 hours of gameplay. Its very rare to find bugs because the game is getting more and more updates with new maps and robes. I recommend it (and, if you have money, but the complete pack, DLC´s are awesome).
  30. Jul 22, 2012
    Funny Game mit sehr lustigen Zauberspruch-System :) aber es hat leider Perfomance Probleme ... :(

1. May 6, 2011
    The rich, luscious colors somehow make the world a lot more believable than games like Crysis 2 could ever be.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Magicka is a game that works especially well in cooperation. Single player experience is a good one but this game shows its true potential only when you play with friends, allowing for some great fun. A patched-up Magicka is most certainly worth getting to know. Even more, because it is a solid candidate for 2011's best game in its category.
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    A game that glorifies the use of fireballs and land mines. #WIN.