7.6

1. Oct 5, 2011
    Crazy fun-filled spectaular game has me mesmerised from start to finish. I dont think I've ever panicked so much whilst playing a game, nor had as much fun. And the opportunities for friendly fire in co-op are pretty much unbeatable I reckon. Love it. And it's cheap as chips! Great value for money.
  2. Oct 4, 2011
    Should you buy it?
    Definitely, yes. If you're looking for a good game and yet don't want to pay a lot of money, go for Magicka. Even if you're still unsure about the bugs people mention all the time, wait a a month and get it later on - it will improve even further.
    I haven't had that much fun with a game in months, and especially not THIS type of fun. Go, try the demo, buy the game,
    Should you buy it?

Go, try the demo, buy the game, support great devoted developers and laugh yourself into oblivion!

Full Review: http://darkchaplain-anotherstory.blogspot.com/2011/02/magicka-review.html
  3. May 24, 2011
    It was everything I expected and more, the graphics were beautiful, the spell combinations and different weapons make for unique gameplay that is different every time I start my computer, the multiplayer was enjoyable, the game had the perfect amount of comedy and Easter Eggs, but not too much as to dumb down the game. Hands down best $10 I have ever spent.
  4. Mar 5, 2011
    This game, although some what glitchy at times, is all in all fun. The game has a fun and fulfilling storyline filled with pop-culture references, videogame easter eggs and all around silliness. It's not so much the gameplay or characters that makes me like this game (although they DO have some pretty sweet robes) it's the fact that they take themselves with a grain of salt and can makeThis game, although some what glitchy at times, is all in all fun. The game has a fun and fulfilling storyline filled with pop-culture references, videogame easter eggs and all around silliness. It's not so much the gameplay or characters that makes me like this game (although they DO have some pretty sweet robes) it's the fact that they take themselves with a grain of salt and can make fun of that fact too. Some patches have been released to fix all the previous bugs, I can play with my friends online easily and it is one of the few games that has made me laugh out loud more than once. Definitely a must buy, and definitely in my top ten games of all time. Expand
  5. Mar 14, 2011
    If you have friends, Magicka will be the best 10$ you ever spent. You may think a game where the main objective is "accidentally blow yourself, your friends, and 20 bad guys 3 stories into the air" would be boring, but you'd be wrong. The game originally shipped with tons and tons of bugs and glitches, but those were fixed less than a day after it was available, so I guess no harm doneIf you have friends, Magicka will be the best 10$ you ever spent. You may think a game where the main objective is "accidentally blow yourself, your friends, and 20 bad guys 3 stories into the air" would be boring, but you'd be wrong. The game originally shipped with tons and tons of bugs and glitches, but those were fixed less than a day after it was available, so I guess no harm done there. The one complaint I can think of for this game is that magic combinations are in no way balanced. A QFQFAAS spell will do infinitely more damage than a rock spell. A rock spell also takes ~5 seconds to charge to full strength, while a beam spell will instantly deal greater damage than a rock spell. To make matters worse, a beam spell continually increases damage output the longer you leave a beam on an enemy. At the end of the day, two fully charged rock spells deal like 1/100 of the damage of a ten second long beam of energy. And that isn't even factoring in the potential for beams to be merged; that's just a single persons beam. Even with this grievous lack of game balance, this game will definitely give you many hours of playtime for a low cost. Expand
  6. Mar 15, 2011
    For an inexpensive indy game, this is a home-run. While it may have started out rough around the edges, Paradox, in their usual style, has burnt the midnight oil to whip this great little title into shape. Do yourself a favor and get yourself three friends together and let the mayhem begin.
  7. Apr 18, 2011
    Great deal on sale. I've already had many many hours of enjoyment for the low price of $5. The magic system is groundbreaking and brilliant, completely changing how magic casting will be done in future games no doubt. Having to use some of your own personal skill in creating the combos means it's less button spam and more personal skill and coordination. The spells are creative,Great deal on sale. I've already had many many hours of enjoyment for the low price of $5. The magic system is groundbreaking and brilliant, completely changing how magic casting will be done in future games no doubt. Having to use some of your own personal skill in creating the combos means it's less button spam and more personal skill and coordination. The spells are creative, entertaining, and quite powerful. You really do feel like a magic-slinging bad-a$$. There are some flaws, unfortunately: No save! You have to use the awful checkpoint system! An archaic throwback reminiscent of console ports. Also the way the enemies can stunlock you at time, making it impossible to cast any spells as you keep getting knocked down over and over. But one of the best things: No silly "mana" to keep track of! If I want to blast a spell, I can blast the darn spell! And keep blasting it as much as I like. This is the way it should be, no mana management or being able to not cast a spell cause you're out of mana. MAna is a horrible idea that wormed its way into games 10+ years ago and never went away. Its time has come, and Magicka has shown us the joy of being an uber-powerful wizard without mana deficiencies. Expand
  8. Mar 25, 2011
    Magicka is a game where you can play by yourself or with up to 4 players. You can use the traditional keyboard or gamepads. You can play 2 on the same computer and with your friends over the internet.
    What I like the most about this game is that you need to use your head and this game is hard. You will get used to die, a lot. But everyone also have a revive spell that you can use at all times. The spell casting system is new and innovative since you don't have any mana like almost all other games where you wield spells. You also got 8 elements and you can combine up to 5 elements at once. Almost every spell have it's own effect and will change the dynamic of the spells you cast. The only problem with this game was at the start of launch where you had a lot of crashes and bugs. But most of the problems are fixed since the game has had several updates since release. I have had a great time playing this game and it is well worth 10 euros. Playing this game solo is a little bit more difficult but you can do it if you use your head. I still don't understand how some people review this game as a bad game because it is hard. Personally I love that Magicka is a very unforgiving game where the game doesn't hold your freaking hand all the time like in Call of Duty and other games. Magicka doesn't follow the so called defaults that you have in other games, for example you can use all elements at the start but you can find spell books scattered around the world of Magicka, you can also pick up cool weapons and staffs that are either hidden or from fallen enemies. You can remap all the keys in the game but you have to be in the main menu which is a little bad I know. But still Magicka is well worth the money and the spell system is a great and the only thing that stops you is the imagination. I give this game a 10 because the people who made this game took a bit of a risk and did something that is new and innovative with a lot of fun video game humour and references inside that made you laugh like a little girl and it brought back some sweet memories.
  9. Apr 21, 2011
    super adictivo , inovador, es muy divertido en red con los amigos, tiene algun bug y por eso le doy un 9 , poco a poco los han ido arreglando . lo recomiendo totalmente
  10. May 13, 2011
    This is one funny and fun game! The humour is great, with lots of nerdy pop culture references. The jibberish the characters speak is especially funny if you speak a Norse language, because then you can really notice how stupid it all sounds. As for the gameplay, it works really well. The combining of elements to create magic is an innovative system, which makes mana obsolete. The onlyThis is one funny and fun game! The humour is great, with lots of nerdy pop culture references. The jibberish the characters speak is especially funny if you speak a Norse language, because then you can really notice how stupid it all sounds. As for the gameplay, it works really well. The combining of elements to create magic is an innovative system, which makes mana obsolete. The only limit you have is how fast you can press the keys, and also some spells need to be unlocked. I've only played this game singelplayer so far, and have yet to beat it. It would probably be easier with a friend... If he was a good player who doesn't friendly fire at you, that is. Because there are LOTS of opportunities and possibilities to get enemies, allies and yourself killed. Often in hilarious ways. Oh, and I got the game at 50% of on Steam, so that's pretty much a steal. AS FOR BUGS, the team has obviously been working really hard to fix them, because I've experienced none. Oh, and they added a spell called "Crash to desktop" together with the bug fixes... Genius. Expand
  11. May 17, 2011
    Finally completing the game and unlocking the majority of achievements I can say Magicka is a top-notch multi-player adventure game with a genius hook. Firstly, I ran through the game with three other friends and it was a lot of fun, although a slow start because upon its release the menus were lagging and riddled with CTDs for us. Me and my friends loved figuring out spell combinations,Finally completing the game and unlocking the majority of achievements I can say Magicka is a top-notch multi-player adventure game with a genius hook. Firstly, I ran through the game with three other friends and it was a lot of fun, although a slow start because upon its release the menus were lagging and riddled with CTDs for us. Me and my friends loved figuring out spell combinations, boss strategies and also knocking each other off the map. I found with the four of us it was difficult to coordinate and would more often then not ruin the fun for each other.

I recommend playing the game co-op, just 2 people, it is easier to co-ordinate and execute strats. One of us would shoot a freezing energy beam and the other a water energy beam blowing enemies up into ice crystal then we would combine electrical attacks to destroy the frozen enemies. It worked wonders and we progressed smoothly through the game. Magicka had a lot of solid mechanics and special spells that it felt there was always new attacks to discover and mess with. For the price, length and multi-player mayhem this game is magical. Sorry, that is bad closer.
  12. May 25, 2011
    Magicka is definatly a fun game. Normally, when I try out a new game, it takes some time for me to really enjoy it, but I was overcome with joy from the first moment of playing Magicka.

In this game, you combine spells from 8 different elements. Some elements empower others, for instance lightning becomes more powerful if you already cast steam or water on your opponent. You can do both aoe, single target and selftarget with the same spell, changing how it works. There are also premade spells that you can learn from books, like thunderstorm or teleport, and they works in the same way as all other spells; by combining the elements in a specific order.

The campaign is hillarious. You get to hear references from tons of movies and games in a very fun tone while bashing monsters with all the tricks you have picked up from killing your teammates by accident.

Another fun gamemode is the arena. This is different from the campaign, as the only objective here is to survive waves of incoming attacks from monsters. This is very hard to complete alone, as you will need teamwork for some of the waves. Everything in this game is more fun if you play it with up to three friends.

The downside of this game is lack of content. I played the game for about 4 hours, and then the campaign was complete, then another 1-2 hours for both arenas to be complete. And then there were nothing left to do, and I haven't played the game since.

In short, the game is brilliant and alot of fun, but it lacks content, and you don't get many hours of fun before you have to do the same content over again.
  13. Jun 23, 2013
    Terribly underrated game. Magicka is very fun to play, and eve funner with friends. The game is fun, challenging and exciting, with many different levels, enemies and elements you can combine in different ways to kill your enemies. Magicka is filled with fun refrences to almost every popular movie and game ever made. I recommend playing this game with your friends, it's a lot more funTerribly underrated game. Magicka is very fun to play, and eve funner with friends. The game is fun, challenging and exciting, with many different levels, enemies and elements you can combine in different ways to kill your enemies. Magicka is filled with fun refrences to almost every popular movie and game ever made. I recommend playing this game with your friends, it's a lot more fun than playing it alone Expand
  14. Jan 4, 2012
    A great game that has kept me captivated for hours. Yet to invest in the DLC but plan to in the future to add to the already amazing longevity the game has.
  15. Jun 16, 2012
    This game amuses me. It's a fun filled RPG with basic controls but loads of possibilities. Rather than spoil the story, I'm going to tell you to purchase it for the small price they have for it on Steam ($10). The DLC isn't necessary, but it does make your game more enjoyable and fun! The game design in and of itself is brilliant. Complete experimentation allows you to try new ways toThis game amuses me. It's a fun filled RPG with basic controls but loads of possibilities. Rather than spoil the story, I'm going to tell you to purchase it for the small price they have for it on Steam ($10). The DLC isn't necessary, but it does make your game more enjoyable and fun! The game design in and of itself is brilliant. Complete experimentation allows you to try new ways to play in Adventure, PVP, or Survival scenarios. For the media savvy, this game contains a variety of enjoyable references to some classic TV shows, Movies, and video games. Silly slapstick humor, endless fun with friends, and pure experimentation. A must in your gaming library! Expand
  16. Dec 11, 2013
    absolutely great game, it has a pleasing art style, unique magic system, it also has its moments when it comes to humor, I am wondering why its metascore is not higher to be quite honest.
  17. May 1, 2011
    Awesome value for the price!! I've only played single player so far, but the experience has been one of the most humorous and most challenging games I've played lately. Pop culture references and jokes abound. The magick system is extremely innovative, with thousands of different spell combos at your disposal. I'm guessing 4 player co-op makes this game even more entertaining as youAwesome value for the price!! I've only played single player so far, but the experience has been one of the most humorous and most challenging games I've played lately. Pop culture references and jokes abound. The magick system is extremely innovative, with thousands of different spell combos at your disposal. I'm guessing 4 player co-op makes this game even more entertaining as you stab your buddies in the back and (hopefully) kill some monsters. Only thing holding it back is the difficulty of single player. This is NOT for the faint of heart! Expand
  18. May 30, 2011
    Remarkable example of a remarkable game. Unique and successful game play and controls that blow you away. Humorous story line with numerous easter eggs. Fun and extremely challenging ( but still possible) single player action packed game play, even better when played with up to 4 friends. A virtual "Hack n Slash" but with spells and "Magicks", the combination of 8 different "elements"Remarkable example of a remarkable game. Unique and successful game play and controls that blow you away. Humorous story line with numerous easter eggs. Fun and extremely challenging ( but still possible) single player action packed game play, even better when played with up to 4 friends. A virtual "Hack n Slash" but with spells and "Magicks", the combination of 8 different "elements" which all can create different unique spells by certain combinations add to the fun. Expand
  19. Zri
    Apr 1, 2011
    Magicka is just plain fantastic. From the derpaderp speech of the characters, to the level and enemy design, to the just brilliant spell system. As soon as you get outside the tutorial, you run into a woman with a big gold exclamation mark over her head in good old RPG fashion, asking you to kill rats in her basement or something like that. You know you're on a winner when she getsMagicka is just plain fantastic. From the derpaderp speech of the characters, to the level and enemy design, to the just brilliant spell system. As soon as you get outside the tutorial, you run into a woman with a big gold exclamation mark over her head in good old RPG fashion, asking you to kill rats in her basement or something like that. You know you're on a winner when she gets attacked by goblins and the quest marker falls off onto the ground and you get down to some good old blowin' stuff up instead.

Best things about Magicka? No mana. Limited inventory (you can pick up a staff and carry a 'melee' item). No quests apart from killing the next thing in front of you. GREAT spell system, where you have 8 different elementals, each bound to a key, and you can combine them in any way you want to create spells, some of which just combine effects, some of which form unique Magicks.

Worst thing about Magicka is that the engine doesn't always perform as well as it could. That's all there is. It's a very hard game in places, but people, there's absolute simplicity in the rest of the game so you can focus on STRATEGY. Everything is quite straightforward once you figure out what the enemy's weaknesses are, and that's half the fun. (The other half of the fun is blowing up goblins in new and exciting ways.)

Summary: buy this game. Now.
  20. Mar 18, 2011
    It's a very good game so far.. though I hope I can play multiplayer when buying the 10 euro version. though perhaps the 4 player version is just for 4 players and u can play 3 player before that..

Speaking of the humor and for a swede (or possibly a norweigan) it's funny as they use a fake swedish language mixed with english like the swedish chef sounds but with reals swedes actually making it so you can make out that the mumbo jumbo actually means something else in Swedish.. it's great I love it..
  21. Feb 7, 2011
    I can't give it a 10, because the bugs are certainly not negligible. However, developers seem to be conscientious about fixing their mistakes, so if bugs are an issue, just wait a few weeks. Once you get over that hump, I think we have a sleeping classic. Single player is wonderful, and is perhaps the only combat game where I feel not just clever, but creative. Exploration of spells is aI can't give it a 10, because the bugs are certainly not negligible. However, developers seem to be conscientious about fixing their mistakes, so if bugs are an issue, just wait a few weeks. Once you get over that hump, I think we have a sleeping classic. Single player is wonderful, and is perhaps the only combat game where I feel not just clever, but creative. Exploration of spells is a joy, and every new discovery feels like a game changer, yet it still manages remarkable balance. Multiplayer is a wonderfully chaotic affair chalk full of mistaken explosions, accidental earth-shattering combos, and general mischief and mayhem surround a deceptively deep game. In all the insanity, dying a gruesome death can actually be MORE entertaining then the killing. Getting used to the controls takes a little effort, but once you are, you get a real sense of concocting spells, as opposed to merely pressing a button. Tie this together with a thin story with just enough to keep the action moving, and some light humor elements, and you have one of the best 10 bucks you have ever spent. The only other complaint I could possibly have is that it needs to be longer, but I have yet to jump into the challenge mode. Long and the short of it? Buy this game now so you can say you did before it became a classic, must-have title. Expand
  22. Feb 23, 2011
    The best $10 and 10 hours I've spent this year. Awesome gameplay that focuses on combining magic elements in various ways. Humorous plot and characters. CO-OP(omg). This game rules in so many ways.
  23. Feb 16, 2011
    After a dozen patches, this game feels like a full-fledged product. The innovative magic-mechanic may not give you "thousands of combinations" bit it gives quite a few to play around with. The gameplay wouldn't be as rewarding if it weren't for the humor attached to a lot of scenes/spells. Also, 13 levels (story chapters) might seem like a low number, but they are quite satisfying. Keep inAfter a dozen patches, this game feels like a full-fledged product. The innovative magic-mechanic may not give you "thousands of combinations" bit it gives quite a few to play around with. The gameplay wouldn't be as rewarding if it weren't for the humor attached to a lot of scenes/spells. Also, 13 levels (story chapters) might seem like a low number, but they are quite satisfying. Keep in mind that its a 10$ (or less) game. You wont regret buying it. It has more content than you pay for. Expand
  24. Feb 14, 2011
    This game lost it's 10 on the numerous bugs/crashes. But since the developers are really trying to fix this and the game becomes better with every update I will put this aside for now.

The game sports a good multiplayer function which ensues in hilarious chaos when played with enough friends, it is simply impossible to stay alive. This may seem like a nuisance but it causes a lot of laughter when one of your friends accidentally blows you away and is forced to once again revive you.

The controls start out to be quite clumsy, but every mildly experienced gamer will pick them up within 1 hour of play at most.

Lastly, the many references to all our favorite geek movies, games, series gave me an extra impulse to keep playing.

All in all a very enjoyable game that is definitely worth the 10$ they are asking for it.
  25. Feb 13, 2011
    Awesome game on 4 player coop, though I imagine it would be relatively boring and extremely difficult if you're going solo. It's still riddled with bugs and they really need to implement the possibility to join the game anywhere, not just at the start of a new level. Has great re-play value. It's supposed to be humorous (especially if you're a Swede - there's a lot of voice acting in someAwesome game on 4 player coop, though I imagine it would be relatively boring and extremely difficult if you're going solo. It's still riddled with bugs and they really need to implement the possibility to join the game anywhere, not just at the start of a new level. Has great re-play value. It's supposed to be humorous (especially if you're a Swede - there's a lot of voice acting in some make-believe-Swedish-type-language, which is really funny) - but - I didn't even notice most of the story, but this is not a negative. Super-fun in coop! Expand
  26. Feb 15, 2011
    I'm not going to explain why I gave this game a 10. Go watch the trailer. Then go download the demo on steam. If you're super excited to buy the game at this point, you're not alone.

Best $10 ever.
  27. Mar 14, 2011
    The only game with magic that I liked SO much.
    Phenomenal mechanics and more than a thousand combinations of spells.
    But game fully reveals its potential only in co-op. In the company of three friends enemies' genocide becomes maximum chaotic.
    And don't look on bugs, they are not so critical, many of them may be avoided. Developers works hard and release updates every week.
  28. Mar 8, 2012
    Best "gauntlet" type game ever made. Magicka is fun,addictive,innovative and cheap. It cost mere 10 Euros or Dollars. Buy this game! Thats an order!
  29. Feb 8, 2011
    Played the game and loved it. There were a couple of bugs present but they were quickly patched and the developers seem to care a lot. I would recommend this game to anyone, after all the price is just $10. If you're not sure whether this game is for you or not just download the demo available for free and try it out.
  30. Feb 6, 2011
    The best 10 euros i spent EVER.
    Even though it has its share of bugs,
    the game is tons of fun especially co-op.
    and is very replayable :)
    Download the demo and see for yourself.
  31. Zri
    Apr 1, 2011

Summary: buy this game. Now.

1. May 6, 2011
    The rich, luscious colors somehow make the world a lot more believable than games like Crysis 2 could ever be.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Magicka is a game that works especially well in cooperation. Single player experience is a good one but this game shows its true potential only when you play with friends, allowing for some great fun. A patched-up Magicka is most certainly worth getting to know. Even more, because it is a solid candidate for 2011's best game in its category.
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    A game that glorifies the use of fireballs and land mines. #WIN.