7.9

1. Apr 20, 2013
    I spend a lot of good time with this game. You can really go in to it for 100%. There are a lot of solutions for making Your own ninja experience. Great fun for many hours.
  2. Apr 20, 2013
    Fantastic game! I find it hard to pry myself from this one, which is rare. The levels are fun and can be as challenging as you want them to be depending on how you play. There are multiple ways to score kill them all or let them all live! Although, I believe killing them all tend to give higher scores than letting them live because you get points for the kill and points if you hide theFantastic game! I find it hard to pry myself from this one, which is rare. The levels are fun and can be as challenging as you want them to be depending on how you play. There are multiple ways to score kill them all or let them all live! Although, I believe killing them all tend to give higher scores than letting them live because you get points for the kill and points if you hide the bodies. You can also get extra points depending on how you did the kill! Overall, I enjoyed the game controls, level progression, level difficulty, and my gaming experience. I highly recommend this game to anyone! Expand
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    One of the few games to have given a lasting impression on me. Really a great piece of work. The ending was incredible, the cutscenes are beautiful, just everything about this game pleased me.
  4. May 19, 2013
    Real fun game.
    I still feel that thrill every time I sneak up on an enemy and stab him in the back. The visuals are amazing and the level designs are controls are pretty accurate.
    Real fun game.
    The only complaint I have for this game, is that it's on the easy side. Sure some situations get kind of tricky, but checkpoints are abundant, and there is no real penalty to dying and restarting. The levels are pretty much a joke once you get familiar with the game. And I lied, that's not my only complaint. There's also the issue, that this is a complete stealth game. It's quite boring to have every single level to be the same. It would have been a nice touch to add boss fights or something to give you a break from the constant hiding.
    However, even with it's flaws, it is still a very fun game.
  5. Jun 23, 2013
    Kill Kill KILLLL!!!.... Or not you know, if you don't want to....

Kill Kill KILLLL!!!.... Or not you know, if you don't want to....

Mark of the Ninja is now one of my favorite indie games of all time. People wonder why others think it is so fun? How many other 10 dollar games give you the option to basically customize your character and style of play to the point where you could feasibly play ANY way? The upgrades enhance the experience A LOT and make you eager to try your new skills. The design of the levels are not too difficult to figure out but you still feel a sense of achievement when you slash or sneak your way through each of them. At the end of this game I was immensely pleased with my experience and wanted to play it over again in the new mode to challenge myself. The game actual reminds me of an arcade game.

The achievements, the unlocks and the story make this a fantastic game to play. If you're not into stealth games now, you will be after this.
  6. Jul 4, 2013
    Game is trying to be clever and bring the real 'ninjastealth' feeling, but it unfortunately fails quite badly. Gameplay is just not interesting enough and gameplay mechanism is not good enough. Even after you get used to it, it doesn't offer you enough that you would enjoy the experience. Better use your time with something else.
  7. Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not a fan of Stealth games, mostly in this generations, but everybody said that this game is great, and I should try it out. I bought it on the Steam sale, and after the first 5 minutes of gameplay, I confirmed, that this was the best 4 I've spent on a game ever. The art style is great, the story is great, the gameplay is great, everything is great! This is that special kind of game,I'm not a fan of Stealth games, mostly in this generations, but everybody said that this game is great, and I should try it out. I bought it on the Steam sale, and after the first 5 minutes of gameplay, I confirmed, that this was the best 4 I've spent on a game ever. The art style is great, the story is great, the gameplay is great, everything is great! This is that special kind of game, where in order to experience the awesomeness of the game, you have to play it Expand
  8. Aug 7, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is the next great product from Klei Entertainment. After good Shank's they provide another characteristic and awesome game. It's, without any doubt, one of the best game of 2012.
  9. Oct 6, 2013
    Before the chit-chat, let me say something upfront: Mark of the Ninja is an exceptional stealth-action game, that will change your way of thinking about Indie titles if you had ambiguous feelings before. It isn't simply a great game, but also has character, story, depth and uniqueness.

Our hero is an unnamed ninja of the Hisomu clan. Just after getting tattooed with an ink from a special flower that will make him have extraordinary power his clan is attacked by soldiers and his mentor is taken hostage. After freeing him, the journey begins. Yes, it's revenge time. It's not the most well cooked stories out there and the ending lacks a real punch, but from an indie title of this kind it's very ambitious. After sending our hero on his mission it is explained to him that the ink under his skin not only will make him stronger but after some time it'll drive him mad. Before that could happen he sworn to commit suicide. But, the mission first.

As we progress through the levels our hero will learn (we unlock) new abilities that help us deal with enemy soldiers. With the increasing number of light sources, lasers, detectors and enemies the game gets more and more challenging, but never too difficult to frustrate the player. With common sense and orientation you can always find the right path to clear the room or pass by the enemies undetected.

And exactly this is the biggest fun source of the game. There isn't a definite way to finish a level or even to solve a room. You have a wast array of items you can choose from and you can use any environmental object to be successful. You rarely HAVE to kill a guard to reach the next room, there's always a second option.

The game tracks your progress all the time. Finishing a level without being detected or doing all the side tasks in a level will earn you more points to spend on special abilities and more effective distraction/attack items.

When you feel the game is beginning to get somewhat repetitive it always throws you something new to play with, to make the fun lasting. You can even change your outfit after some time. And this isn't a pointless dress change you see in many games. With the new suit you get new abilities, but you're reduced with other ones. It is really awesomely balanced, where everybody can find the clothes that fit the player's style.

With exceptional game design comes exceptional art design. The game isn't the most beautiful you've ever seen nor packs the most polygons, but it's art and it's unique. On the audio side the lighting strikes and dog sniffles are great. The OST consists of well composed pieces that support the ninja-feel and stealth nature of the game.

After finishing the game you can start again on New Game mode which is essentially a hard mode and it's really challenging where your viewing angles are reduced and the enemies are more aware.

Mark of the Ninja executes and delivers on every part you can imagine. It's a definitive standard for indie titles. If you like stealth games, play it. If you like 2D action games, play it. If you like platformers, play it. If you want to have fun, definitely play this piece! And, well...ninjas and stuff.

Rating: 89/100; Replay Value: 4/5; To Beat: 10-11 hours.
  10. Nov 23, 2013
    Feels like you're playing a 2D version of Splinter Cell. This game is really good for a 2D game, the stealth mechanics are great, especially the traps.
  11. Sep 16, 2013
    The best ninza game after shinobi.I cannot play it without screaming ninza battle cries.Hiyaaaa.Seriously this game is fantastic and it has a different style of play than most other games.It is fresh and unique and it stands alone at the top of ninza games.What are you doing?You still reading my review?Go buy the game fast and silently like a shadow in the night you fools.The enemy is approaching.
  12. Sep 9, 2013
    Side-scrolling games really don't get any better than this, and when they do, they sure as hell cost a lot more than this one does.

First, let's talk the story quick. I thought the animation was great, the story was decent (considering how short overall the game is), the voice acting was pretty good, and the level progression was nice. I'm also a fan of games that allow you choices

I'm also a fan of games that allow you choices in playstyle. This a stealth game, sure, but you can approach the game one of two ways: KOs or kills. There are times when you're forced into one or the other, but overall, you can play it either way. And, the game isn't so crazy hard that you have to worry about which style garners you more points for upgrades or anything like that. Plus, for those that maybe like to add morality into their gaming, you don't have to worry about slicing everything up.

The controls were fairly intuitive, although at times it felts like the game was trying to do too much. Keep in mind that you can do a lot of different things relative to how basic (read: few) the controls are. This sometimes results in the game misinterpreting what you're trying to do. A lot of this has to do with timing (like hiding in a duct or something), but expect to miss a few thing input-wise because you and the game weren't on the same page.

Needless to say, you're a ninja, so you're pretty awesome, but I also really enjoyed the various upgrades that you can get. It really prevented the game from getting too stale as you moved on. Some games simply increase difficulty without giving you new stuff to play with, but this did both.

Ultimately, it's a really, really fun side-scroller and at the price, it's hard to beat.
  13. Sep 16, 2013
    Average. Derivitive. Brought nothing new to the genre. Dinky flash game graphics. Holds your hand. Story is absolute hogwash, characters are stale and overused cliches. Combat is poor. Has some strong points but compared to anything that isn't a flash game 91/100 is over the top.
  14. Sep 25, 2013
    At first when i started i wasn't too happy about this game. I just felt like it was about being sneeky sneeky, and also i'd say the controls can be a little clumsy. But i decided to give it a chance anyway, and it showed up that the longer you came, the more advanced the objectives got and the more things got added to the game. Like alarm lasers that you were in need to turn off byAt first when i started i wasn't too happy about this game. I just felt like it was about being sneeky sneeky, and also i'd say the controls can be a little clumsy. But i decided to give it a chance anyway, and it showed up that the longer you came, the more advanced the objectives got and the more things got added to the game. Like alarm lasers that you were in need to turn off by destroying the generator. There's also a couple of "puzzles" where you need to figure out how to place the things to pass the lasers.
    But after all it's still just a 2D indie game, that is not too long, and i'd rather play a game like Far Cry for example. To me this is a game you can play when you're a lil' bored or just wanna play a nice calm game, without too much brain needed.
  15. Oct 7, 2013
    a must-have title. best 2d sidescroller- stealth-game ever. it makes so much fun to make high scores. sadly, that the leader-boards are full with cheater. have fun
  16. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the game that should judge all stealth games. If wants to be a stealth game it has to be as good as this. It gives you multiple choices on how to handle, you can go in and not even be seen and not kill anyone. The ending is brilliant and it took me 4 minutes to make my final choice. Expand
  17. Dec 6, 2013
    Wow This is an amazing game... One of the best games I've ever played in my life.... Never expected indie games to be so good and this one...is just fabulous. It shows what a Ninja is truly capable of. If you are even not a fan of platformers this one is a must-play...
  18. Dec 20, 2014
    A great side-scroller, surprisingly good voice acting, awesome environments, wasn't expecting anything near this level when I picked this one up. Definitely worth the price, Steam has it on sale.
  19. Nov 8, 2014
    I could not have asked for a better ninja game. Everything about this game screams terrific design. It captures the spirit of true ninjutsu: complete nothingness and silence, alongside the occasional assassination. The path you take as a ninja is completely up to you, ranging from a murderous nightmare towards every guard to an undetectable ghost. The game is more than happy to give youI could not have asked for a better ninja game. Everything about this game screams terrific design. It captures the spirit of true ninjutsu: complete nothingness and silence, alongside the occasional assassination. The path you take as a ninja is completely up to you, ranging from a murderous nightmare towards every guard to an undetectable ghost. The game is more than happy to give you various options in approaching every situation. I was also pleased by how varied the levels are; one time you will be infiltrating a fortress, the next time you'll be escaping poison-filled catacombs, and another time you will be setting a building on fire. I also found the game to be quite challenging and as of writing this review have yet to earn all the achievements...and complete a harder New Game+.
    The art direction is fantastic, harkening me back to the style of Batman: The Animated Series, Star Wars: Clone Wars, and Samurai Jack. Plus, the visual cues regarding sound and light is nothing short of genius.
    The story is surprisingly intriguing and the end led to much reflection of my playthrough as a ninja. The characters are good with well-executed voice-acting. Overall, very well-written.
    With all this being said, this is a ninja game. What more could you want?
  20. Jan 1, 2014
    Mark of the Ninja revives the stealth genre in a way like no other. Even if you're not a big fan of sidescrollers I still recommend picking this game up. The art style is drop dead gorgeous, and it's a game you can really get lost in. It reminds me of if you took Batman: Arkham Asylum, turned Batman into a badass ninja, and stuck him into a 2D world.

Pros: Beautiful Graphics For a 2D

Pros:
    Beautiful Graphics For a 2D game
    Kick-Ass Animations
    Best Stealth Game I've Played Forever
    Great Price

Cons:
    Needs a more Engaging Storyline
    Probabbly would work a lot better with a controller than they keyboard and mouse set up.
  21. Aug 8, 2014
    Mark of the ninja is not mainstream game, this game unique gameplay. You must patience and use your brain to play it. The has many feature like you can change costume, abilities, and weapon.
  22. Mar 7, 2014
    Simply great indie game. Even on Easy, it will take almost 6-7 hours to complete this game. It's not just a side scrooler platform gama. You've decisions to make. You can stealth or kill, you can hide bodies or hang them to terrorize other guards. It's all up to you. You have a lot of great items. Maps are also splendid. Story, characters are really good. Puzzles are brilliant, most of theSimply great indie game. Even on Easy, it will take almost 6-7 hours to complete this game. It's not just a side scrooler platform gama. You've decisions to make. You can stealth or kill, you can hide bodies or hang them to terrorize other guards. It's all up to you. You have a lot of great items. Maps are also splendid. Story, characters are really good. Puzzles are brilliant, most of the time you must combine reflex and intelligent to solve puzzles.

Just buy it if you like games like this. You don't have to wait 'til sales, it already worths its standart price.
  23. Feb 10, 2014
    Played: Jan 2014

Pros: + Tight and satisfying controls (with a supported controller) + Rewards the player waiting long enough to tell what is happening before acting Cons: - PC version needs additional software support (official controller drivers: Xbox) to be playable - Not too much variety in the way guards behave (though methods of detection vary) In my mind, this is a game
    Played: Jan 2014

Pros:
    + Tight and satisfying controls (with a supported controller)

Cons:

In my mind, this is a game which is not afraid to heavily emphasize stealth. While you can kill some (or all) guards, you must then hide bodies to avoid raising an alarm. Having observed others playing stealth games (and having played a few myself) I can say that if you lack the patience to watch for patterns or alternative pathways, you might not like this game (unless you like dying a lot). Discovery does not end the game (though it will hurt your score), but you must then fight hand-to-hand with the guard who has seen you. Combat is clunky (and doesn’t use the sword you’re already carrying for some reason), but this doesn’t matter too much because the whole point of the game is to sneak-n’-stab your way to victory, not fight everyone you see. If you don’t like the default play style, the game gives some nominal customization to accommodate you (i.e. whether you prefer distraction or killing items) via new skins which change what/how much you can carry and feature a new power; however these usually have such significant drawbacks that you’ll prefer the balanced initial costume.
    To me this game isn’t a platformer or even an action game, it is a fusion of stealth and puzzle. The puzzles in this case are to find the easiest (nearly always circuitous) path to the objectives seemed straightforward to me, but based on what I’ve seen some may be hard to find or frustrating to players who don’t like to wait for a guard to leave or look around for a better way to an objective. Aside from the fact that this game might not be your cup of tea, I need to address a specific gripe: on the PC version the generic drivers for a USB controller WILL NOT be adequate to play using an Xbox controller-you must update/download the Microsoft drivers to play (I recommend using a controller, even if it isn’t specifically an Xbox one, though I couldn’t vouch for its compatibility based on this experience). Why couldn’t the developers allow generic drivers when many other games do so? In spite of this complaint, once 1st party drivers are installed there can be no complaints about responsiveness-your character is easy to control and never slips off a ledge or accidentally does something you did not intend.
    BOTTOM LINE:
    This is an excellent game that will reward you with satisfying gameplay if you are willing to look around the stages and be patient enough to learn guard routines.
  24. Feb 8, 2014
    this game is awesome great playing style it needs a lot of speed and thinking at the same time it gonna make you REALLY feel like a ninja believe me its simply made for making you feel like a ninja .
  25. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is NOT a 2D Metal Gear Solid. MGS had a depth of story and style as well as tight controls and action that could be played as a NON-stealth game. This game does not have that. It forcefully holds gamers hands and makes them plod through set pieces without much thought for imagery or imagination. Multiple branching pathways or engrossing storyline will not be found here.
  26. Sep 5, 2014
    Ninja and Stealth is a really good combination, especially in 2D! You don't have to be a professional game reviewer to say that this is one of the best stealth games these days. Mark of the Ninja has everything to become perfection: unique, awesome graphic styles, catchy music, clever levels design, and true gameplay of ones who prefer working in the dark. But yet, some puzzle seems tooNinja and Stealth is a really good combination, especially in 2D! You don't have to be a professional game reviewer to say that this is one of the best stealth games these days. Mark of the Ninja has everything to become perfection: unique, awesome graphic styles, catchy music, clever levels design, and true gameplay of ones who prefer working in the dark. But yet, some puzzle seems too difficult, and the control system maybe a little clunky. Expand
  27. Sep 30, 2014
    This game has no flaws. Great art, good story, excellent game-play and interesting until the end. If i had to say one thing that i do not like about this game, it would be that it is too short.
  28. Nov 29, 2014
    An amazing indie game! The controls respond really well with the keyboard and mouse, and the stealth is just right. It filled my life after the disappointment with the remake of Thief. The visuals are also really nice, and the game is not too long to overstay its welcome, but it's not too short to let me wanting for more. The story is really interesting, and so are the collectibles and theAn amazing indie game! The controls respond really well with the keyboard and mouse, and the stealth is just right. It filled my life after the disappointment with the remake of Thief. The visuals are also really nice, and the game is not too long to overstay its welcome, but it's not too short to let me wanting for more. The story is really interesting, and so are the collectibles and the secret areas. If you have some spare money, consider checking it out. Expand
  29. Oct 15, 2014
    Best stealth game i played ever. Great mechanics, good pacing and beautiful. If you ask me, this is a must play game in your life to do list. Highly recommend.

A dreamy amalgamation of Shinoby, Deus Ex and Thief. It’s not only the best downloadable game of the year, but a welcome gift for fans of pure stealth gameplay. [November 2012]
    Splendid stealth platformer offers high levels of addictiveness. Surely aspiring to the title of "Independent title of the year". [Dec 2012]
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    Corvo Attano and Agent 47 couldn't possibly have expected that a platformer from the creators of Shank would stab them in the backs and claim the title of this year's best stealth game.