Mark of the Ninja PC

8.0

1. Jan 1, 2015
    The idea of this game is good and the mechanics are fun. And yet, I just stop playing it after a while because something is missing.

The good: The art style is great, the base game mechanics are fun and easy to use. The bad: it does end up being you versus puzzle setups. You see a situation and have to match your skills in the right way to solve the puzzle. That's fine but not very

The good:
    The art style is great, the base game mechanics are fun and easy to use.

The bad:
    it does end up being you versus puzzle setups. You see a situation and have to match your skills in the right way to solve the puzzle. That's fine but not very immersive in itself and sometimes end up being more of a roadblock in your way than something you like to do.

In the end what the game misses is stealth, ironically. Yes, there are elements of that but a lot of the time it's more similar to puzzle solving than anything else. The game is actually a puzzle game and not a stealth assassination game.
  2. Feb 10, 2013
    Way to easy.unrealistic. its only strong point was the story, overall eh, im surprised at the high review. no variety in kills and no real drive to replay
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    Typical 2012 'light' fare... unless you REALLY like stealth games I'd wait for the demo. Typical Microsoft moneygrab designed to look good in gameplay videos but lacks compelling gameplay. Yes all the hipsters playing on their ipads will like it... if you like a game with some meat on it I'd wait for the demo... Its exceptionally well done when it comes to seeing it in a gameplayTypical 2012 'light' fare... unless you REALLY like stealth games I'd wait for the demo. Typical Microsoft moneygrab designed to look good in gameplay videos but lacks compelling gameplay. Yes all the hipsters playing on their ipads will like it... if you like a game with some meat on it I'd wait for the demo... Its exceptionally well done when it comes to seeing it in a gameplay video... controls are excellent.. sound effects, atmosphere...until it comes to actually playing the game.. which is a yawnfest.. I played a few times made every effort to get into it.. maybe its just me but it just made no effort whatsoever to draw me in or compel me to continue... your mileage may vary. Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2012
    Its a good game, no 9/10 tho. Half way thru the game you pretty much discover every tool you need to become a good ninja which leaves the other half of the game a bit stale. Its a fun game just don't expect that much replay value.
  5. Vex
    Nov 29, 2012
    Good 2d stealth game with solid stealth mechanics. While it doesn't compare to some games such as Splinter Cell in terms of pure stealth, it should still provide decent gameplay. Expect to get about 10-15 hours out of the game. On a more negative note, level design is boring and the game turns out to be quite repetitive once you're past the 50% mark. All in all, nothing special and overlyGood 2d stealth game with solid stealth mechanics. While it doesn't compare to some games such as Splinter Cell in terms of pure stealth, it should still provide decent gameplay. Expect to get about 10-15 hours out of the game. On a more negative note, level design is boring and the game turns out to be quite repetitive once you're past the 50% mark. All in all, nothing special and overly memorable though it is a good deal at $15 price tag. Expand
  6. Mar 15, 2013
    It's just a plataform game, with all its limitations. It is not really creative no true innovations. Yes, it is somehow fun to play, but it would be a great free online game.
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    Just bought this on sale on Steam. It is not a 9 or 10 point game. But for the price, it gets a decent score. The game starts off a bit tough with hard sticky controls (see below). It was fun for about 8 hours than becomes repetitive. Though 8 hours of fun may be worth the money to you.

The Good: I like the graphics. Ninja story is pretty cool. The many stealth puzzles can be fun but repetitive. If you die you don’t start off at some far away waypoint.

The Bad: Sticky controls. Literally. You have a “spider man” stick to things that have gotten me killed many times. You will die a lot, trial and error to complete missions (but as mentioned the waypoints aren’t far). The game is really hard at first until you get weapons/items Some points it pull your hair out frustrating.
  8. Mar 12, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is a nice past time game. A bit like Flashback from Megadrive-era, but campier story, sneaking and modern graphics. Controls are quite good and most of the time character does what you wish it to do, but no means MotN is not Super Meatboy. Main issue with this game is that it is far too easy and when combined to check points every minute or two, the whole challenge isMark of the Ninja is a nice past time game. A bit like Flashback from Megadrive-era, but campier story, sneaking and modern graphics. Controls are quite good and most of the time character does what you wish it to do, but no means MotN is not Super Meatboy. Main issue with this game is that it is far too easy and when combined to check points every minute or two, the whole challenge is gone. This would not be a problem if there would be a strong and interesting story behind all, but it is a passing story for a 90s kung-fu movie, but no more than that.

I am actually puzzled why this game got so high critic scores, but it was well worth the money (Steam sale 5€). I guess MotN deserve those scores as a mobile game as there is little to no quality on that arena, but as a PC/XBOX-game those perfect/near-perfect scores are way off. If there would be more challenges it would get easily eight, but now the main function is to make gamers feel good about themselves.
  9. Sep 16, 2013
    Average. Derivitive. Brought nothing new to the genre. Dinky flash game graphics. Holds your hand. Story is absolute hogwash, characters are stale and overused cliches. Combat is poor. Has some strong points but compared to anything that isn't a flash game 91/100 is over the top.
  10. Sep 25, 2013
    At first when i started i wasn't too happy about this game. I just felt like it was about being sneeky sneeky, and also i'd say the controls can be a little clumsy. But i decided to give it a chance anyway, and it showed up that the longer you came, the more advanced the objectives got and the more things got added to the game. Like alarm lasers that you were in need to turn off byAt first when i started i wasn't too happy about this game. I just felt like it was about being sneeky sneeky, and also i'd say the controls can be a little clumsy. But i decided to give it a chance anyway, and it showed up that the longer you came, the more advanced the objectives got and the more things got added to the game. Like alarm lasers that you were in need to turn off by destroying the generator. There's also a couple of "puzzles" where you need to figure out how to place the things to pass the lasers.
    But after all it's still just a 2D indie game, that is not too long, and i'd rather play a game like Far Cry for example. To me this is a game you can play when you're a lil' bored or just wanna play a nice calm game, without too much brain needed.
  11. Jul 8, 2016
    Stunning animation. Ending opened for interpretation. Tattooed Ninja. Just some points of the amazing things they do in Mark of the Ninja. A stealth platformer that makes you feel like a deadly ninja from the very start. Gameplay runs smooth with a decent progression system to beef up your character. Completing challenges not only award you tokens for purchasing upgrades but also unlockStunning animation. Ending opened for interpretation. Tattooed Ninja. Just some points of the amazing things they do in Mark of the Ninja. A stealth platformer that makes you feel like a deadly ninja from the very start. Gameplay runs smooth with a decent progression system to beef up your character. Completing challenges not only award you tokens for purchasing upgrades but also unlock different outfits you can wear that give you powers/disadvantages.
    My only wish would be for the game to be longer, beatable in a handful of hours. When the game ends it does offer a new game plus for people who want to go back and try and find all the hidden objects.
  12. Nov 12, 2012
    I feel like I had to write a review for this amazing game in order to help its small title out.

To get it out there, this game is amazing and the best modern stealth game hands down. Games like Dishonored and Assassins Creed have huge budgets and 3D worlds yet this games simple 2D mechanics are awesome. While you may think 2D means simple there are many ways to play the game. You

While you may think 2D means simple there are many ways to play the game. You unlock different moves, outfits (with abilities that change your playstyle), attack items, and distraction items. Gameplay is tremendous and long lasting. Each level has 3 hidden scrolls (one is in a puzzle), 3 scores to achieve (highscore unlocks all 3 obviously) and 3 unique goals (i.e. kill these guards steathly). This makes you replay the levels which you are glad to do in order to figure it out. The game also gets progressively harder as lasers and guards w/night vision goggles are introduced.

The story is also good and interesting which is a plus, its not just a random killing game.

One of the most fun things about the game is killing is actually encouraged. Dishonored made me mad by advertising all sorts of cools ways to kill people then punish you for killing them. Mark of the Ninja gives you different ways to kill people to earn achievments and see fun deaths ranging from dropping chandeliers on guards, hiding in the floor and killing upward, dangling from a lamp and hanging a guard, or my favorite, throwing flesh eating insects on a guard.

Bottom line if you want a fun action game with violent deaths this game is for you and WELL worth the $15.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    A dreamy amalgamation of Shinoby, Deus Ex and Thief. It’s not only the best downloadable game of the year, but a welcome gift for fans of pure stealth gameplay. [November 2012]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 30, 2012
    Splendid stealth platformer offers high levels of addictiveness. Surely aspiring to the title of "Independent title of the year". [Dec 2012]
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    Corvo Attano and Agent 47 couldn't possibly have expected that a platformer from the creators of Shank would stab them in the backs and claim the title of this year's best stealth game.