6.6

1. Sep 21, 2014
    I recently started playing this game (30 days in, about 100 hours of playtime) so I don't have personal history of what it has gone through, but wow is it underrated. This game is an absolute blast particularly if you like marvel characters. There's lots of content, a full 9 chapter story mode with comic book style cinematics, boss run modes called "terminals", Challenge modes which are survival waves and an open area with events that spawn every few minutes and random spawning packs mobs, a good handful of hub areas to chill out in, a raid zone, weekly events with special items and bonuses, 2 short story areas, and more coming.

Not to mention 38 heroes (at the time of writing) with more on the way already announced. There are also LOTS of villains to fight and many will soon be playable!

This game plays like an action RPG similar to a Diablo/Torchlight/Titan Quest game, but with marvel heroes and super hero powers.

It's free to play, but there are a lot of micro-transactions. Thankfully, you can get most of the things free using in game currency like new heroes and team ups. The one thing you may end up spending cash on is to increase your storage space. You get on box/page for free plus what your hero and hold and some space for your team up (even if you don't have a team up you can still use their inventory space). But if you play for a while you'll probably end up wanting more to hold all your phat loot :).

Graphics are nice, some of the ability effects are really crazy - great eye candy, while some of the environment are a bit mediocre the new content looks really amazing (Odin's Palace is beautiful). The character voices are amazing - really well done and the concessional interactions with other characters is often hilarios - for example sometimes when Rocket Racoon gets near Iron Man hes says something like "Do you think I could get on of those in my size?" and Cyclops will ask "Staying out of trouble Gambit? Didn't think so." Makes the characters feel more lifelike.

Anyways give it a shot, lots of fun - don't let the old reviews spoil it, this game is amazing.
  2. Jun 7, 2014
    This by and far the best ARPG currently on the market and is a ton of fun. Many of the Heroes are fairly unique and can all be obtained for free with enough playing . My favorite is Ms. Marvel whose an absolute beast and is one of the if not the best playable Hero in game.

Recently we've gotten things like Raids and One-Shots which serve to give players more options and an End-Game
    which other ARPGS have failed to properly provide!

The staff here host many events over the year and the Omega System is pretty rad!

My only concern is that Team-Ups need a tune up and should be made unkillable when you summon them so that they can be brought into high end content over simply making them passive.
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    this game is amazing the dev team is one of the best they are always updating the game, events happen like every weekend and they always do free giveaways ive put over 1000 hours into this game and i still enjoy every min of it i give it a 10/10 great job dev team keep up the good work
  4. Jun 4, 2014
    Do you like Diablo 2? Do you like the Marvel Comic Universe? If you said yes to either, you'll enjoy this game. Try it out, it's free to play after-all. The game features 8 Chapters in the storyline, and a few other modes for grindy killing. The re-playability comes with the heroes. There are currently over 30 and atleast 1 new character is added per month. Which brings me to what separates this game from the other Action RPGS - the development team. It is the strength of this game. These guys consistently churn out more content than any other game I've ever played. They actually made me want to spend a bit of money on this product. There's a new event nearly every week. They really care about the future of this game and it shows.

I might sound like I'm preaching, but the development team wants to win you over, and they will if you let them. Give it a shot - like I said it's free, you have nothing to lose.
  5. May 29, 2014
    What can change in a year? In the case of Marvel Heroes the answer is: "Quite a bit." As evidenced by the reviews here, this game had a pretty rough start. I myself started playing a month after it went live. It was interesting, but after getting to around level 30 I gradually stopped. I might've rated it a 5, it was still fairly entertaining, but it definitely needed improvements, and improve it has.

I started playing the game again in late November and found that a lot had changed in the scant few months since I stopped playing. As of the time of this review, here is a summary of things that have changed in Marvel Heroes over the year since its release:

Systems Changes - Damage, defense, dodge, enemy AI and abilities, the terminal system, and much more have been overhauled.

New Story and Raids - Chapter 9 has been added and focuses on Norway and Asgard and features Kurse, Loki, and soon, Surtur and his minions (he is the first 10-man raid's final boss).

Heroic and Superheroic - Two new difficulties were implemented, scaling enemies and difficulty up so you can progress 1-60 in the story mode.

52 Reviews - A reworking of the launch heroes so their power progression ends at 52 with the Ultimate power, along with other refinements.

Stats Overhaul - New system lets you stack as much of a stat as possible, for example every Strength point gives you +4% Physical Damage, +4% Thrown Object Damage, and 1% Reduced cost for Physical powers.

Synergy - At levels 25 and 50 a hero unlocks their synergies which can be used on all your heroes. (For example, Gambit gives you credit find and rare item find) There is also experience synergy, every hero at level 30 gives 1%, an additional 2% at 50, and an additional 3% at 60 for a total of 5% bonus experience per maxed out hero. You can get up to 200% experience synergy, The first 4 heroes you level to 60 will give you massive boosts, 30%, 20%, 15%, 10%, for a total of 75% from just maxing out 4 characters.

New Item Types - Uniques (items from Marvel lore with set stats), Legendary Items (a new item slot that levels up as you gain experience), Cosmic Items (a step between Epics and Uniques with Cosmic affixes), Relics (a new slot that are random drops that stack up to 1,000 and give stats like + HP, + Defense), Rings (a new gear slot that can also be Cosmic), Uru-Forge/Runes/Runewords (Uru-Forged are like 'socketed' items that you put Runewords onto), Team Insignias (random affixes and flavorful stats, such as Nick Fury's summoning in SHIELD agents when you or teammates using med kits), and lots of new artifacts including ones that only drop off certain bosses, like the Gem of the Kursed from Kurse terminals.

Expanded Inventory - A recent update increased the default inventory space by 20 slots, and gave everyone 30 slots on the Team-Up UI, even if you don't have a Team-Up.

Eternity Splinters - Instead of characters being random drops you can now find Eternity Splinters, roughly every 6-8 minutes. These can be found as 1 splinter, 2 splinters, 5 splinters, or 10 splinters, and supposedly can even stack for a total of 18 or however much it can go to. (You also get these as log-in rewards quite often during events, as well as getting 200 when you go through the story mode for the first time) These can be used to buy any hero in the game at varying costs; a Random Hero box for 175 (can be any hero, even one you own), and specific heroes cost different tiers: 200/400/600 splinters.

Team-Ups - These are similar to mercenaries and can be set into 3 distinct mods: always active, big impact 30s summon, passive benefits with 30s summon.

Legendary Quests - Unlocked at level 20, these give you Odin Marks used to purchase Legendary items and Blessings, which enchant your artifacts. You can go from 20-60 just doing these alone as they give quite a bit of experience and are infinitely repeatable.

Cosmic Terminals - Difficult, level 60 dungeons, have the option to clear the 'trash' mobs for guaranteed Cosmic Chests, which have high chances of dropping Cosmic items.

Challenge Modes - X-Defense (Wave-based mode for up to 5 players), Midtown Patrol (Infinite enemies and bosses every 3 min), Holo-SIm (Wave-based survival for 1-2 players)

One-Shots - Meant to tell a story separate from the main plot, the first one, Wakandan Mines, was recently released with many more to come. These will tackle comic storylines such as the Daredevil Shadowland story.

New Heroes - There have been 13 and counting new characters added to the game, By this time next year at least 13 more will be added.

Future content they are working on includes: 10-man Raids, Endless Dungeons (randomized tilesets), Randomized Terminals (like Maps from PoE/Torchlight), more story content, a free 'expansion' of some sort, the Omega system (Alternate Advancement/Badass Ranks/paragon on steroids), Shared/Daily quests, Achievements, Login Reward system, and much more.
  6. May 25, 2014
    After having played D3 RoS and PoE, i decided to give this game a try and I was very pleased. It's fun for me, the graphics are good, the effects as well. The diversity of builds exists.

I see people are complaining about spending cash for this and that ... well you don't have to, to enjoy the game. Would you rather spend 40 EUR on RoS and get bored in a week? Blizzard was far
    greedier... yet nobody cares.

You say the developers act like they wanna communicate, well at least they do. You directly talk to them rather than deal with the same 3-4 hired ppl that answer with pre-written templates.

To be honest anyone that likes these types of games should try it for themselves. The negative reviews look so biased and made up, it amazes me.

Hell the game is f2p, it's supposed to get cash from somewhere, hence the strive to get your money, but that also makes the developers put more effort, rather than charge 40 bucks, get your money and leave you hanging.
  7. May 22, 2014
    The game is a lot of fun. It had a rocky start but things seem to be smoothing out. I really like all the different modes they have and scenarios. If you want a fun game to burn some time on this one is for you.
  8. May 21, 2014
    I read some negative reviews when it first launched and threw it in the "never going to play it" pile. I've been a little bored lately and decided to give it go and I'm pretty happy that I did. PROS: - Fun ARPG that makes you feel like a bad ass. - Gets updated monthly with new heroes/content - They rework heroes every so often so there is communication between dev and players. - Plenty of Loot and varying systems to help min/max characters.
    -Plenty of content (some critics have complained that there isn't enough, but if you enjoyed D2 there is WAY more than enough content to enjoy)
    - Terminals (mini instances of previous levels with varying difficulties)
    - Challenges (Horde like modes where you clear wave after wave)
    - Story ( It's similar to diablo - three difficulties)
    - (upcoming) they will be adding raid type instances that require groups of 10 to complete.

CONS:
    - They only give you a couple of heroes to pick from to start, so if you don't like any of them it may take awhile before you earn enough ES(Eternity Splinters) to buy another champ for free.
    -I'd say the grind for ES is similar to games like LOL with about 20-30hrs of playing to obtain another a hero.
    - You only get one stash to start out with and you get ALOT of loot so you'll most likely need to purchase another.

All in all if you're a fan of Marvel and you're looking for a fun ARPG to play then I'd highly recommend it.
  9. May 19, 2014
    I've always been a fan of MMO's. I initially invested in Marvel Heroes as a business opportunity. At the time, I was working at a well-known consulting firm, and I was in contact with Gazillion's, David Brevik, and I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to know more about the company, and their soon to be launched, Marvel Heroes game. I decided to make a $199 purchase in the "Ultimate Founders Pack", which included all initial characters, costumes, a few pending Characters, and much more.

Those who purchased any of the 'Founders Packs' were entitled to early game access , unfortunately, their time was cut short, due to issues with the game's launch, which put the server offline for a few days. Gazillion Entertainment dropped the ball...there's not an easy way to put it; they failed to meet the consumer expectations, which, unfortunately, was not a good first impression. Even though the expectation went unmet, I was generously given in-game credit ( a lot, I might add) for the inconvenience.

I decided to write this comment because I felt that the current "Metascore" (58) doesn't seem like a fair score... I would say it would be more like average score of 70/100. (I gave it a 10)

I don't represent Gazillion. In fact, I never ended up doing business with them. But my experience playing Marvel Heroes has been positive thus far.

For those of you who have played this game, I have Eight level 60 characters (some with Legendary lvl 5's), and a whole lot of 30, 40, and 50's. I have over 700 hours documented on Steam (I don't know how accurate that is). I also purchased the Deluxe Advanced package, which was another $129, which includes another set of characters, and in-game items.

Like any MMO, you get to a point that it just becomes repetitive, and you keep playing to get better loot. You can get through the entire storyline of Marvel by level 25-30, or so, and then you can increase the difficulty. Aren't most games like that anyway? The only negative experience that I have would be the PVP area... What a great way to teach humility.. it's a great place to learn that your character was not as tough as you thought he/she was.

The good thing is, they are constantly adding new content to the game, and are ALWAYS giving free stuff away. YES, you can play the entire game for free and have a chance to play any character you want at no cost to you. For the anti-Capitalists out there, I'm sorry, but It DOES cost in-game currency to have cheese with your wine. Gazillion is a business and they need to make money. It's nice to know that they are contracted with Marvel for 10 years, so I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon! Gazillion hasn't been perfect, but feel they act on the feedback they've been given by the fan base.
  10. May 6, 2014
    The game has improved tremendously over time. Don't let outdated negative reviews scare you from trying the game. After all, it's free to try it out! Truly a fun, addictive game that has really grown. The developers are responsive, and they often directly incorporate player feedback from the forums to improve the game. The roster is huge, and with at least one new hero to play every month, there is no shortage of things to do. Give it a chance and you might be surprised! Expand
  11. Apr 21, 2014
    If you're a fan of the comics and you like games like Diablo, then you'll find hours and hours of fun in Marvel Heroes, This game give you to many fun , play it now and take your favorite heroe.
  12. Apr 3, 2014
    the more positive reviews paint a better picture of what the game is like unlike the ones who gave it a negative review, the game is constantly updating and adding new features all the time and with the holidays fast approaching many more special events and characters will be added, the roster of available characters for purchase as well as the free character you can chose when you create an account is vast (much more vast than it was last year in June).

now some of the negative reviews at least shed some light to those of us who do not appreciate foul language being used in online games and gaming communities so this shows the games moderates are doing a fantastic job of removing/silencing these foul people who do not know how to read the rules which they accepted when they created their account.

i can say without a doubt in my mind this is one of the best most addictive free to play RPG's out there to which i have already racked up well over 1200 hours of game play, ignore the negative reviews and give it a go, unless you are immature and like to constantly swear, call people names or purposely try to ruin peoples games then upon failing to read and obey the rules you should not create an account.

if marvel heroes was re-reviewed now it's meta score would be a lot higher only metacritic does not take a score down once it's been submitted even if by mistake.
  13. Apr 2, 2014
    Superior ARPG now, yes it was released too soon, but has changed drastically since release, if they fix some annoying (not game breaking) bugs it would be a 10.
    9 good starter heroes now, check it out! Doctor Strange is the latest hero as of this review, and new Team Up heroes come out this week, great time to retry, or explore it for the first time.
    More game modes and large world now
    and more in the works.
    Next 3 heroes coming this year: Invisible Woman, Psylocke, and Mr. Fantastic.
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    If you like Marvel, hack'n'slash and MMO, you'll like it !

Do not give credit to old reviews, the developers are very involved, the game has really, really changed since its release. And by old, I mean : almost all 2013 posts.

Do not listen either to those saying that things are expensive to buy in the shop, the game is absolutely "free to play" and is not "pay to win". You can
    unlock all characters by playing the game, leveling one character gives you enough of the in-game currency needed to unlock another random hero or you can play a bit more during endgame and have enough to unlock the specific hero you want. You might want to buy extra storage space to keep cool stuff that you find, but i won't cost you much, and you will still have a perfectly fine MMO with 30 heroes (and probably 2 more in March) to play for less than 10$. Expand
  15. Feb 21, 2014
    I am having a blast with this game, its free I chose the Colossus player and he simply destroys everything its so much fin seeing him fly into action and destroy everything on the screen. I have been playing this a lot on Steam, Lots of drops, lots of fun, if you like Diablo Torchlight top down, and Marvel then you need to play this game. I played back when it first went online in 2013 and it was ok, the players you choose from did stink. But now they opened it up and there is like 10 you get to choose from. Of course I had to create a new account but I am enjoying it a lot. If you did play it its worth trying it out again. It is much better and they are constantly updating it and tweaking it. Loads of fun!!! You got nothing to lose its FREE!!!! I took one point off because of lack of customization. I like RPG's where you add a piece of armor and you can visually see your character change. In this game adding better levels of loot/armor only changes your stats. Expand
  16. Feb 13, 2014
    This game was marred by a weak launch, and its score reflects that. It has come back magnificently since then, and is now an excellent action RPG in the Diablo mold. If you liked Diablo and you like Marvel super heroes, you will probably love this game. There are tons of heroes to choose from, and they can be bought with in-game dropped resources (or money, if you are impatient). I highly recommend this game. Expand
  17. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is tremendously fun. I recommend this to everyone. Has the perfect mix of an action RPG with a MMO. The game had a rocky start but since then the game has been growing and the numbers of players increasing quickly. Includes your favourite heroes and villians from the comics and if not? It oughta be comin' in the next few years. The dev team are extremly dedicated to the game and the forums are delightful to go on with very little trolls and haters. The game has fantastic movie tie-ins including the recent Thor the Dark World movie. When you start off, the game provides you with a wide variety of heroes to choose from to add to your roster to start your adventure. The meta-score for this game is tremendously outdated and should be updated. Expand
  18. Feb 7, 2014
    I'm having an absolute blast playing this game right now. I've heard the horror stories of its launch but I can honestly say the game is extremely polished, looks great, and is a lot of fun to play for a free title. The game really captures the essence of Marvel Comics as well, which is great for any fan of the comics or movies. The micro transactions are extremely tempting but can also be very pricey in my opinion. If you are fan of action role playing games and the Marvel Universe, you have to give this game a shot. Ignore all the negative reviews from launch, this game has come a long way in just a few months and the developers are showing they are dedicated to improving the game going forward. Expand
  19. Jan 20, 2014
    This game has improved 100% since its launch. Constant new content, new heroes. I'd give it another try if you gave up on it when it first came out. It has no pay to win features and can be played without spending a penny.
  20. Jan 18, 2014
    Between Diablo III and Path of Exile, Marvel Heroes surprisingly takes the cake as my favorite ARPG right now. The amount of support and improvement that the developers are crafting for this game is mind blowing. Continuously improving everything that was wrong with the game on launch makes this title very promising. Tons of variety with different heroes, game modes, and ways to play with friends, makes this game top notch. As a free title, I'd highly recommend checking it out. I've spent way more money on this game than I ever thought I would, and I'm very proud to do so! Expand
  21. Jan 18, 2014
    its amazing its FPS is good There are so many skills SO MANY PEOPLE TO HAVE FRIENDS WITH its a AMAZING GAME if you are a fan of super hero's like me i like iron man the most.
  22. Jan 16, 2014
    This game had a bad start, but this is the best hack & slash action mmo you can find, at the moment. They are evolving every day and it gets better and better. There should be new reviews all over the gaming sites. This game deserves a try, even more than Path of Exile.
  23. Jan 15, 2014
    First off I want to mention that I played this game and beta and played for a good 120 hrs after it released. At launch this game was pretty rough i won't lie. The system for obtaining new heroes left a lot to be desired if you didn't want to P2W. I came back to this game in late November and have not been able to put it down since and this considering I own both next gen systems this is really saying something. Since I stopped playing in August they have added, Emma Frost, Squirrel Girl, Luke Cage, Human Torch, Loki, and Ghost Rider as playable Heroes with Nightcrawler dropping at the end of this month. The biggest difference with the game now is that they have a system in place where you can earn any hero you want for free with in game loot called eternity splinters. No longer do you have to hope and pray for a hero token to drop as loot and then be disappointed by getting someone you didn't want in the first place. It is possible to play as every hero in the game without every spending a single penny. With the big 2.0 update they also added an entire new chapter to the story which takes place in Asgard and features the addition of legendary items you can buy with loot called odin marks. These legendary items provide amazing buffs for whatever hero you put them on and the artifact actually levels its stats as you your character does. They also now have several very cool end game modes such as green and red terminal daily missions which are basically boss levels from the story, a very addicting survival mode called X-Defense, and a PVP arena called Fire and Ice. Since returning to the game I have logged another 150 hrs into it and have not regretted a second of it. The only items you really have to pay for with money are costumes (which are completely aesthetic) and additional storage space called STASH tabs. There is still a chance for extra costumes to drop as loot in the game but it is very very rare, last I heard it was a half of 1% chance. You can also obtain a handful of costumes from opening fortune cards but overall costumes seem to be the way that Gazillion make their money and keep the lights on. I spent $40 on the game only because I felt the devs deserved it for doing a complete 180 with this game and correcting just about everything that was wrong in the first place. As I stated before you absolutely don't have to spend any money on this game to enjoy it, and it is in no way pay 2 win. The development team is also very active on the official forums on their website and really do listen to the community as a number of costumes requested by the players have made it into the game. Lastly there is a slew of amazing content on the way this year as they plan to add at least 12 new playable characters (including villians), an all new raid mode, and an X-men inspired Danger Room. If you haven't played this game yet or left the game after its rough launch do yourself a favor and download it again being a F2P game you have absolutely nothing to lose. If your a fan of Marvel you will fall in love with this title. Expand
  24. Jan 9, 2014
    o be honest its great game, launch wasn't smooth. But now its on pair with PoE and D3, in some terms even better. It expands standart ARPG into MMO which is great. Definitely worth to try.
  25. Jan 7, 2014
    Marvel Heroes is a ton of fun. I didn't start playing until December, and from what I understand the game has undergone some drastic changes for the better since it launched six months prior. The F2P aspect isn't intrusive, you can totally play for free and earn new characters and gear without ever spending any money. The microtransactions portion of the game is restricted to costumes and convenience such as extra bank space. Frequent updates and good communication from the developers at Gazillion are a welcome change from previous MMO's I have played, and they have the Marvel contract for the next ten years so the game isn't going anywhere anytime soon! Give it a shot, a competent Diablo clone with MMO elements to it. Expand
  26. Dec 26, 2013
    This is Diablo 2 LoD with super heroes
    You start with 1 free hero, so choose carefully but you can pickup eternity splinters ingame to unlock other heroes.

I never played its rocky launch, but started in dec 2013 and this is the same fun i had with D2 LoD. Heroes are fleshed out with great skills, synergies with other heroes and loot. lotsa loot. Deep skill trees that can be re-spec if
    you make a mistake you are not stuck with gimped characters. Cookie cutter builds dont exist, all heroes have variety in their builds and Gazillion review each hero regularly.

i give 9/10 only because you are locked into the starter hero, but careful choice and this is a non issue.

If you loved Diablo2, and think D3 missed the mark, then Marvel Heroes will quench your thirst.
  27. Dec 19, 2013
    6 months after release, this game is a different game! I been playing this game non stop for 5 months, i have spent endless hours doing legendary missions, talk to friendly people, and cry of joy when unique gear drop. i can see myself playing this game for years!
  28. Dec 18, 2013
    I don't know what an arpg is. I came in here expecting WoW. So, i'm going to base my review on what WoW has because this obviously is a mmorpg. Wow, people sometimes. It's an arpg. It's supposed to be like this.!
  29. Dec 16, 2013
    2-d mouse clicking game. Who writes these reviews? Srsly. it's an arpg, if you don't like arpg, don't play an arpg. Through the eyes of a arpg lover, i liked mua. The game has alot of heroes, seems like the real deal compared to like lego universe. You get heroes at a pretty fast rate, the game is pretty solid with the loot. Iconic marvel names and stuff.
  30. Dec 16, 2013
    If anything more game companies can learn from this one. Interaction is important. It does pay off. The game is far beyond what it was in June. Other companies would charge you 5 expansions for what they did in 6 months.
  31. Dec 16, 2013
    If I compare the patch notes of this game to any other game. It would be like comparing a bible and a short poem. The interaction of dev/player. The changes the game makes to player feedback. The overall tone of the player mattering. Is something that I find missing in most games, not this one. The game is incredibly fun and free.
  32. Dec 16, 2013
    Should've fake released like other games in open beta. it would be atleast an 8 right now. Well guess people are just stupid, can't wait for a game to develop.
  33. Dec 16, 2013
    Heard about the game on poe's chat. I was kinda pissed I died of de-sync, I assume this dude was too. I downloaded the game, even tho it had like 58 critic review. It was worth free. Tried it, got a free thor they were giving away. Just watched that thor 2 movie, was pretty cool. Sounded like thor, had skills like thor. I had a blast for 12 hours. I'll keep playing the game, it's got free expansions. So never out of the loop. Expand
  34. Dec 16, 2013
    This game has gotten to be alot of fun. There's like 27 classes, all of them play different. All of them viable. I'm playing this new patch right now on test center, ghost rider is like the best arpg class ever. This guy just, has the best vfx. Fire, chains, bikes, skulls.
  35. Dec 16, 2013
    I escaped the de-sync and terrible animations that was poe. I came into a game, that most people told me wasn't good. I said, F it, i'll give it a shot.

Booted the game up, no lag, cool animations that i don't have to pay for and no de-sync.
  36. Dec 16, 2013
    I just picked this game up, didn't realize it was a arpg. Thought it was like that dcuo where you play as a goofy character. Nope, Dl'd the game, although really big. 11.6Gb ..wow. Turns out captain america is a free hero, so, that was pretty good. Played my favorite character, started throwing his shield around, he started talking, felt right. Good on them for a free experience. It's a 10.
  37. Dec 16, 2013
    6 months of polish, big christmas patch coming up. Prices are reasonable to other FTP games. It's fun playing heroes you watched on the T.V. Worth a shot for free, totally free game.
  38. Dec 13, 2013
    An Action Role-Playing Game in the Dungeon Crawler Mode with some MMO Touches.

One of the heads at Gazillion is Richard Brevik, and original Designer on Diablo and Diablo 2.

The "MMO" twists to this game are interesting additions to the ARPG genre. While it's a dungeon grinder at heart, the story mode of the game and certain other playmodes are open instances. You aren't by
    yourself, you may be running down the street as Punisher and come across a random Spiderman fighting 50 NPCS. It's a fun touch. Important Story mode areas are individual instanced, or you can have an active option to auto group with others who entered the same instance within 5-10 seconds or so. Gone are Lobbies and Menus where you select which game you want to enter. MMO style "hubs" are safe havens with other players constantly running by and through. There is also guild/clan control as Super Hero Groups.

The game does a lot of things right that the highly anticipated Diablo 3 missed the mark on. Skill trees are "respec" friendly, with a free one for each pass through storymode, and with the potions for it available as random drops. A familiar tree formatting of skills that can be leveled up to 20 each restore a lot of character power balance to how you make your character, not how lucky you are on gear drops.

The game hurt itself press wise by releasing early, it was not a finished product at release. The bugs they have ironed out and continue to work on make it an almost completely different game from launch, and updates come constantly with new characters monthly and a lot of coming content being teased.

There are still some issues with the game, and it can use some more polish. What really pushes this game to a 10 is the community support and involvement of the developers. Refunds for price changes and sales, constant discussion with the community about costumes and characters. Constant Sales and Freebies.

Gaz is really raising the bar on customer service and developer transparency, and to do so with a Major license in the F2P format is shocking.

Gone is the "can't get the character you want without buying it" model from release. About every 5-8 minutes of play, an "eternity splinter" drops. All characters in the game can be purchased with eternity splinters and range from 200-600 splinters in price. After your first normal playthrough of the game you also receive a total of 200 splinters as quest rewards. You should be able to buy any hero you want from the roster by the time your starter selected hero reaches level 40. Random Hero's are also purchasable for 175 splinters. If you random a hero you already have you get a token that upgrades the power of their "ultimate" power, and an additional copy of their costume, which is good for a recipe that lets you craft a random costume from any available in the game (not the limited time available ones though)

The model is better than a lot of F2P games, with all characters unlockable just by playing. If you pick a starter hero, and level them to 40, you should have enough to buy any hero you want, and have enough to buy another specific hero by the time that character is max level. Going the random hero route you will end up with a wide and varied roster quickly.

A lot of the older reviews complaints have been addressed and fixed already, and more improvements are coming quickly. Highly recommend you check the game out.

Today Only Marvel.com has a special code that unlocks Thor for your account for free! Offer ends at 12:01am PST 12/14/13. After registering for the game through their website, go to the profile page, Redeem Code, and enter ODINSON
  39. Dec 12, 2013
    I picked this game up, just looking through the free steam titles. I played warframe, poe, tf2. Think marvel heroes is like a free MUA. I like that it's not dependent to how much money I feed that game, like warframe is. I played poe, just the combat and random de-sync is stopping me.

Overall, I enjoy MH. Played it for 12 hours in one sitting to beat the story. Did a few legendary
    quests. Overall endgame is what you expect out of a arpg, it doesn't have anything left out and hasn't added anything new to arpg end game. The genre lacks in that department in general. It's a fun slaughter for loot and I enjoy it. Expand
  40. Dec 12, 2013
    I just want to say. It's a good game. It's a free game. I don't understand the hate, although If I got banned for doing something illegal, i'd just walk away not ruin the credibility of the game by spatting none sense on a review site.

Look, the game gives you every opportunity to give you a great free experience. Be it, giving you 250G free, or splinters for finishing story. Some
    people are just crazy, and shameful that review sites encourage trolling. Expand
  41. Dec 12, 2013
    If you look at the recent negative reviews, people complaining they're getting silenced for an opinion. Is the same as a meth head, who gets arrested for public nudity. I assure you these people were not being polite or using rational thinking. If you give feedback the game changes.

Game let people level faster, gave you free g's. Lowered some prices. Gave a free random hero if you beat
    the story. Free expansion. Don't listen to bull It's a free game, download it and decide for yourself. Expand
  42. Dec 12, 2013
    Play a free game and find out. Honestly, when I boot this game up on steam and see that score. I just shake my head. There should be a rule to mmo's who update very often. No it doesn't deserve this score and the game does everything it can to make it "super free" for you. Including giving you 250G free for reaching level 15, and you get to buy a crafting tab FOR FREE.
  43. Dec 12, 2013
    This game deserves a 58 meta score as much as the new Hobbit deserves a 39 score. Reviews are sin, and it makes people's ego explode.

Be smart, for yourself. If a game is offering it's services for free. Take it and judge it for yourself.
  44. Dec 12, 2013
    All the 10's are bull all the 0's are bull Giving it a 10, becuase the 0's make no sense what so ever, and people are giving 10's to counter balance the raging flame on people have with this game not being a WoW clone.

This is a arpg, loot fest, statistical upgrade. It does what it's supposed to and it's got like all the marvel characters in it, that I can unlock for free!. What game
    is letting me do that atm? I'd get lucky to get charged $15 to unlock a portion of story mode in other games Expand
  45. Dec 12, 2013
    Some of these reviews are bull I felt obligated to give it a 10 to counter balance nonsense. the only thing this game did wrong was not release in Open Beta, because it would've released atm and would've atleast gotten a 7.5. It's a 75 game, but i'm giving it a 10 because I almost missed out on it listening to this garbage website.
  46. Dec 12, 2013
    Man, these reviews are old. The game really did a 180, someone gave it a 3 because he got banned? a 0 because it doesn't play like WoW? lol, dear lord. This is why it's a 10.

Right so, optimization and game size. Biggest concerns, biggest challenge for game.

Now, it's fun as hell. It's an addicting game, you'll play at 8pm and suddenly it's 3 am. I love the voice acting, because it's
    the actual people from the games/shows. The lines these characters say are brilliant. "aren't you cold", to a almost naked emma frost. "Hey, watch where you're going" to a blind dare devil.

I like the game, and it should entertain you for a long time FOR FREE
  47. Dec 11, 2013
    Excellent Game if you like Diablo style games.
    Marvel Heroes is the Marvel MMO that you have been waiting for! Play as Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider-Man, Captain America and many more as they team up to try and stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube.
  48. Nov 25, 2013
    the game is great and getting better all the time you can play it totally free or spend if you wish people who gave it a bad review i urge to check into it again cause it has only gotten better since release and those who love it i hope you continue to love it
  49. Nov 12, 2013
    This game is the best ARPG I've played. While it initially had a rough launch, they constantly update, reiterate, and add in more story, characters, levels, bonuses and loot. The game is incredibly fun, fast, exciting, and addicting. While I wish people would go back and rereview games (all multiplayer games once they come out over a period of time), that sadly isn't the culture in which the "gaming journalism" is in. Regardless, it's free, they changed the starter heroes to an amazing roster, you can play completely free and only pay for costumes if you want (or they drop as well so you don't really need to pay). and see you in game! Expand
  50. Nov 5, 2013
    The game has changed a lot since its released and all thanks to Gazillions.

The game is constantly improving with each patch and game reviewers should look at it again. With new heroes to become available every month, the upcoming Asgard patch is something to look out for since it adds additional depth and story to what is currently a much improved game.

Diablo 3's up and coming
    changes are all patterned to what Marvel Heroes has already on its table.

The developers and community makes the game more enticing for the hard-core gamers and new comers alike. PVP is ready for its re-launch with the upcoming patch.
  51. Nov 1, 2013
    This game is entertaining as heck for a free to play game. I've been playing since launch and i love it. The devs in the game update the game every couple weeks to keep you hooked. This game has evolved since launch and needs to be re-reviewed from metacritic to do it justice. Keep it up team Gaz!
  52. Oct 19, 2013
    Back in June I rated this game poorly due to its pre-mature release lacking many features. Now October version 1.4, the game is so much better. In its current state it is far superior to Path of Exile and Diablo 3. The game has steadily increased its player numbers, but its ashame about the poor launch. If the game had been released in its current state I'd bet there would be half a million players. And in one week we'll be getting a brand new PvP gamemode. Can't wait! Expand
  53. Oct 6, 2013
    This is easily one of the greatest action rpgs on the market today. There are around 30 heroes you play that level and progress individually, and each have their own unique powers and play style. You get more heroes and costumes either by earning eternity splinters in game or they can be purchased.
    The game has new updates all the time, I've never seen an mmo with this many active and
    beneficial updates. They improve the characters, add new areas, new items to find, and they listen to feedback.
    Gazillion has said they are planning long term for this game, and are invested to make years of updates.
  54. Oct 2, 2013
    At release, this game felt unfinished and quickly lost its fun aspect. It was at best, a 6 out of 10.

However, the devs have been really putting a TON of work into the game in the form of content, new gameplay, and refined mechanics, the result of which is now a much more fun and enjoyable game. I went from playing maybe 2-3 hours a week, to playing 2-3 hours a day. As of the date im
    writing this, Marvel Heroes is the most fun ARPG on the market, with even more new and exciting things to come! The devs should take pride in how they turned this game around for the better. Well done. Expand
  55. Sep 17, 2013
    yet again metacritic reviews are its downfall, the game has gone from strength to strength and now has multiple play throughs, extra missions and new characters, the game is constantly updating and gets better with every new patch, so far i have played over 500 hours and still have not found it boring, with the ability to collect shards which can then be used to unlock new characters, cosmic items, specials etc.

you don't have to be a marvel fan to love this game and the fact its 100% free too boot rates it 10/10, the only costs involved are if you don't want to work to unlock additional characters otherwise its a great F2P.
  56. Sep 17, 2013
    At that start of the release, Marvel Heroes was a solid 5, because once you finished the story mode at level 26. You were finished with the game and repeating it with different heroes made thing repetitive. But after checking the game periodically with new patch releases, the game is more interesting to play with different modes and incentive to try other heroes.

What I like the most is
    their interactive forums. Their head developers takes inputs and incorporates it to the game. Already there's 3 stages of level difficulty and rewarding items to grind for. Soon a synergy heroes will reward player for level a hero to level 25 and 50, and even allowing maxed players to restart their hero to level 1 if they want to be in the same level with new friends.

On the side-note, because there's no auction house or credit (their game gold) trading involved, therefore there is no gold farmers shouting to sell game gold for real money. I have also heard no cases of accounts being hacked because hackers have little incentive to hack accounts.

I'm posting this grade based on 1.2 patch and giving it a 9, meaning it's not perfect or finished but has high potential. Marvel heroes should get a recognition for improvement their game at a rapid pace, If the critics are willing to do another review at the beginning of next year in 2014, I'm sure Marvel Heroes will be seen in a different light.
  57. Sep 7, 2013
    I want to update my previous review score of a six up to nine with the new 1.2 patch now being live. From launch to now the game has improved dramatically. Heroes feel much more fun an heroic. Defense has been overhauled. There are now multiple difficulties of the story along with the end game mission terminals. They have added some interesting loot options, most recently unique items for each hero and a new type of item slot. There is now a far more reliable way to earn heroes/upgrades to your ultimate ability. I'm sure there are even more upgrades I love that i am forgetting, but this at least scratches the surface. Expand
  58. Sep 4, 2013
    don't let the critic reviews done last June fool you. what started out as a poorly-optimized Diablo-wannabe is now an Action RPG legend in matter of 3 months, thanks to the 1.11 patch. while it is F2P, those who will be hooked to the game will be forced to pay extra for additional storage space, characters (unless one plays endlessly to collect Eternity Splinters), and costumes.

my only
    concern is that the game is too utopian with gamers usually getting what they want from the programmers, constantly patching up the game for stronger characters. there's no distinction on who's more skilled in playing or build-making, just a bunch of players with cookie-cutter builds per character that kill enemies solely for the sake of rare items. Expand
  59. Aug 28, 2013
    This game has benefited from the best post launch developer support I have ever seen. Release review are not indicative of where the game is at now. It has been made into an excellent product. If you are a fan of marvel and aarpg's you will love this game. And it's free so you have nothing to lose!
  60. Aug 20, 2013
    This game had a very rocky start but has come a very long way since it's launch. Large monthly updates to hero balance, content, and bug fixing has turned this game into a ton of fun to play IMO. It does have it's flaws with some heroes still needing balance passes and bugs needing squashed but, with every patch, these issues get fewer and fewer. If you like the Marvel universe, action role playing games, or mmo's I would recommend you give the game a try since it is free to play. I will also say some people complain that it has lag issues. My game had issues until I adjusted some graphics options as described in the next paragraph.

I want to add to my review by saying that after reading some of the bad reviews that say this game has performance issues I would suggest going into your graphics options in the game if you are having issues and turning the max defeated enemies slider all the way to the left so you see no dead bodies. A lot of people don't seem to realize that the ragdoll effects of the dead enemy bodies and respawning props causes a ton of lag if you don't turn it down. I don't have a super high end system(i5 2320, NVIDIA 660ti GPU, 8 GB RAM) and I have zero issues with lag. My lag ended when I turned the max defeated enemies slider all the way down.
  61. Aug 15, 2013
    Is it perfect? No. Is it fun? Yes. Do you like Marvel? You'll like this game. Did you enjoy Diablo 2 and felt disappointed by Diablo 3? You won't be disappointed by this game because it's reminiscent of D2 and probably is what D3 should have been (since Brevik is on this game). There's tons of potential in this game. They release patches weekly to improve the game. They listen to the community. I've personally had 3 Developers/Support Staff respond to my bug reports and issues. You know what makes all of this REALLY worth it, though? IT'S FREE. Expand
  62. Aug 9, 2013
    I wouldn't have given this game a 9 at launch, but I'ts gotten a lot better since launch and will continue to get better. It's your typical action rpg but mixed with mmo gameplay. I really enjoyed the story Probably my least favorite part about the game was the prices of costumes, but that in no way affects gameplay whatsoever. i've put at least 400 hours into this game and will continue to spend more. More content will come and this game is only going to get better. Launch was way rushed. Expand
  63. Aug 7, 2013
    The game is very good, I've spent 100 hrs on it and I liked the process, but what is more important this game is getting better pretty fast. Developers are doing great job and I give them credit for it.
  64. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are into Marvel and Diablo, then this game is perfect for you. And just FYI you can turn off the auto join groups in the options menu. So its not a hard core MMO. You can even finish the entire game story line alone. I even beat the boss single handedly. (and I was under leveled with only 2 good items) So there isn't a real need for multi-player like some people say there is. (unless you want to play with friends) Expand
  65. Aug 5, 2013
    Marvel Heroes character is awesome. character power, appearance, moving is really well made.
    I really like this game feature like diablo,
    This is what I call MMO. Period!
  66. Aug 5, 2013
    im enjoying Marvel Heroes. at first i dislike Marvel Heroes because client crush.
    but 1.11 patch is awesome. client is stable. and free hero system Eternity Splinter like LoL is perfect for me.
    Definitely, this game is improving a lot day by day.
  67. Aug 5, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is interesting game and similar to diablo.
    i really enjoy this game.
    also this game dev communication wit user is really cooperative. i most like this.
  68. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is fun. and have huge potential. Marvel Heroes may beyond diablo.
    but that is the power of visualization, this game has a long way to go.
    Few skill, small contents, some bug and lag, etc.
    Enormous potential is crucial feature of Marvel Heroes.
  69. Aug 5, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is ARPG game.
    first of all, game graphic is nice. but game performance is bad. Also contents is small
    i think Marvel Heroes should be stick to the character quality because character is best feature of Marvel Heroes.
    1.11 patch was good and beginning of game.
    go for it
  70. Aug 5, 2013
    My favorite part of Marvel Heroes is character. character's power skill is nice and cool.
    but, some lag made me annoy.
    if some lag is fixed and more fun contents is added, Marvel Heroes will be great game.
  71. Aug 5, 2013
    First impression was bad. bitrader client error made me angry. but after 1.11, This game advanced much more than before. above all, E.S system is really good. and limbo bye, Hello midtown.
    Also, Character is the best attraction and big individuality about Marvel Heroes. Human Torch is awesome.
    i'm really expecting a lot Emma including next many heroes.
    Now, Clearly This game is fun.
  72. Jul 25, 2013
    Plainly, Marvel Heroes had many issues at first.. But now many bugs are corrected.
    I assure you, Marvel Heroes is definitely improved by degrees and Gaz is doing its best.
    Their endeavors are really great. Also Changes in test center are fantastic.
    Surely, Marvel Heroes will be the best game in ARPG.
  73. Jul 23, 2013
    This game started with a host of bugs and strange design choices, with a store that was too expensive. Underneath all of that was a solid ARPG with awesome combat and 20+ classes.

Since the launch they have been adding content at a steady pace, modifying the game systems/rules to be more fun, and generally improving the game in just about every way. The store is cheaper and offers
    package deals again, game performance has been optimized better and will continue to be tweaked, heroes skill's are being balanced and improved on a constant basis, and they plan a huge patch soon, with new game play zones and more. On top of this, their communication with players has been stellar, and many of the changes made and/or being planned are from player suggestions.

To be honest, this game got panned in most reviews for its prices, so if that was the main reason you abstained, I'd say give it a go again. With the pace that Gazillion is adding content and Marvel Heroes promises to be one of the best ARPGs of the modern generation.
  74. Jul 22, 2013
    All the hatred for this game is a mystery to me. Trying to figure out if you will like Marvel Heroes is simple: apply a number between 1 and 100 to your love of Marvel comics characters. Now do the same for your enjoyment of Diablo. Now average those two numbers, and your score out of 100 is how much you will enjoy Marvel Heroes. For example, I love Marvel comics at 99 and I think Diablo is OK, at 74, therefore Marvel Heroes enjoyment factor for me is 87. And that's what this game is to me, a B/B+. Prices are a touch high but they are coming down, and I have gotten several character drops. Expand
  75. Jul 21, 2013
    I was never a fan of the diablo series, I thought clicky games like this were ridiculous. Hated diablo 3, tried marvel heroes and loved it. Extremely fun game, Dev team really listens to the community too, I've never seen a relationship between players and developers like with this. A couple bugs, but so many have been fixed already it'll be even greater in no time. Regardless, as it is now I'd definitely recommend trying it out, even dishing out a couple bucks for your favorite hero, beats a 60$ pre-order game or subscription. Expand
  76. Jul 21, 2013
    This game is currently my favorite ARPG to play and I have played them all. While the game had a rough start, they have loaded up new patches and content faster than any game I have played. Not only that their developers are very active in the community and they seem to listen to the playerbase and almost every change they have made and/or are planning seems like the perfect one.

There
    are a ton of hero's to play, you will be able to play this game for a long time. There will be synergies for lvling more than one hero. Ex If you get daredevil to 60 you get passive dodge, or hulk to 60 you gain strength and health. This is one game I can tell I will play for a long time. Expand
  77. Jul 21, 2013
    As with any small game studio trying to tackle a big project, there were a lot of issues coming out of the gate. In efforts to capture a summer audience the game was rushed to the masses, receiving many negative reviews in the process. However, something you can count on, and have always been able to count on with this game is that it's just raw fun. There are currently 21 different heroes to experience and they're all unique in their own ways. The content is lengthy with plenty of Marvel inspired zones to sink your teeth into. In addition, Gazillion has been very forthcoming and responsive to their user base, improving the game since launch. Most will agree it's stable now, and offers a better first impression. The best part is it's free. Expand
  78. Jul 21, 2013
    This is probably my favorite game since Diablo 2. I don't care about superheroes, but I like the way the game feels. It feels like Diablo 2 with 20+ character classes and more coming. The developers constantly update the game and make improvements so that makes me a lifelong customer.
  79. Jul 21, 2013
    For the tldr crowd here is my pro/con list. Detailed review follows Pro: 1. Doomsaw (new dev) his communication is awesome and he is a huge asset to their team. 2. Super responsive to player feed back as a company(don't always act on it but they do discuss) 3. Extremely quick content additions and bug squashing (some taking longer than others overall good) 4. Lots of upcoming new content.
    5. Buff for fun rather than nerf philospohy
    6. Super good about compensation for downtimes or other issues when they arise.

Con:
    1. Limited item system( new additions already added and more coming)
    2. Limited end game modes new ones coming and planned)
    3. Slow character production time( takes awhile to make new characters)
    4. Sometimes cant hit their deadlines( good about making up for things though when things go wrong).

I was in the games Beta testing phases and the one thing that struck me then and continues to amaze me is how fast Gazillion is able to react to feedback and move forward in a positive fashion. Right before launch David Brevik came right out and said straight up and honestly that the game was going to launch rough(they had already set a date) but that they were dedicated to the long haul and would make the game better. The game did launch pretty rough (anymore though what games don't which is another sad commentary but I will leave that for another day) but there have been a lot of positive changes is a very short time.

Since launch there have been many new content additions. There have been 5 or 6 costumes added to the game plus a totally new item class: cosmic items that have neat new effects. There are plans for further changes to the item system such as sets and unique items. Gaz has also planed changes to the current end game areas and several new areas and missions have been announced.

Each playable character is in the process of getting a character review at the moment. Unlike other game companies though character review is not code for nerf the fun outta the game. In fact other than some early on nerfs most if not all recent character fixes have been buffs. Doomsaw a wonderful new developer(more on him in a sec) has said the philosophy now is nerfs are not fun and that every character will be worked on so that they are fun above all other considerations. Underlying game mechanics related to how characters play (such as the defense system) are also getting overhauls as well with many changes coming from direct player feedback.

Doomsaw is an amazing developer that recently started interacting with the community. Hes super smart and will banter with the players. Best though is he will come in and make impromptu here is what we did today threads. Little things like "looked at storm changes coming next patch/buffed this skill/ worked on this characters animations/ talked about this new endgame." Someone asks a good question about almost anything and if its something he can get an answer for from the developer team he does. Its just astounding how big a change this one person has made in their company and community. Go read his dev blogs they are awesome.

I will admit game started way rough but it is improving all the time and if they can pull off the things they have planned game will be awesome. I do believe if they cant pull things off as planned that they will work on them till they are something fun. I have a HUGE amount of faith in this game now.
  80. Jul 21, 2013
    This game has gone from a 5 to a 10 in about 1.5 months. GZ has done an unreal job of redefining this game. Everything they've done and changed has been outstanding. This is THE best ARPG out and getting tremendously better in the next month or less. I didn't think they could do it, but they have.
  81. Jul 21, 2013
    Every game with an ambitious premise is bound to a rough release. However, within nearly 50 days of it's release, the game has rocketed thanks to how developers actively listened to player feedback, which rarely happens so immediately. I find myself playing this a lot more often than I expected, and it is mainly due to these constant improvements being applied. Compared to other games in the genre, at the same point in time, regardless of budget, this is significantly a more enjoyable experience. Expand
  82. Jul 21, 2013
    This game continues to get better and better, although I would have given it a 10 since the launch. The characters all have a unique feel to them and they get more powerful all the time. The Marvel feel of the game is awesome and pervasive. Can't wait for the new Manhattan and Asgard Areas! Great game!
  83. Jul 21, 2013
    Marvel Heroes had a lot of bugs and problems at launch, but has recently had a lot of major patches that really fixed a lot of the troubles it previously had. The early reviews are therefore not accurate towards how the game is now, and it is a lot more polished, more fun, and more balanced then it was at launch.

It is a lot of fun to play an ARPG with your favorite Marvel characters,
    and it totally adds up for any Marvel fan out there. There is loads of content, and new content is planned and being worked on as we speak, so that's also coming out in the near future.

It still has some issues, but these are all being worked on by a fantastic crew, so they are probably gonna get sorted out real soon.
  84. Jul 21, 2013
    The game is fun. If you like ARPG it's fun. If you also like Marvel Universe it's extra fun. There are some problems, surely it rushed to release, but the developer are taking all the problems to heart (prices, itemization, end game content, client optimization) and releasing patches after patches to address the shortcomings of the game.

From an august patch they will introduce a new
    item that you can collect from mobs drop and that will permit you to "buy", with a certain amount of drops, the character you want. So it's true that at the start you can choose only five characters but after some time with the game you have the opportunity to choose the character you want. And that's great.

This, and much more changes they announced (like a new client), are the outcome of the active confrontation in forums of the developer with the community. Some kind of interaction I've sincerely never seen before in other games and that is giving this game a really bright future.
  85. Jul 21, 2013
    This game has a solid setup and the dev team seems to have a really great grasp on where they want it to go. Sure there may be some hiccups right now but for comic fans and gamers alike theres a lot to like.
  86. Jul 20, 2013
    I paid money for D3 and hated every spending any money on the RAH.
    I got MH for free and have spent a few hundred dollars on stuff and am loving it.

With their system and no AH there is never a fear of gold farmers entering the game. I love that and will keep spending money to show the devs how much there hard work is appreciated. The game is only going to get better.
  87. Jul 20, 2013
    This game is just amazing. I cant play this game at home due to poor performance from my computer but that doesn't stop me from hustling over to a internet cafe to play this game. I highly recommend this game to anyone who loves marvel comic.
  88. Jul 20, 2013
    A severely underrated game that will eat away hours of your time without you noticing. The game is not without flaws but the development team is committed to patching the game and is due some vast improvements in the coming weeks. The pricing model isn't the cheapest on the market but all the content in the game is free which allows for unrestricted gameplay.

As for the gameplay it's
    what you'd expect from an ARPG, personally I've sunk more hours into this than D3. Most the heroes(classes) are well designed and reflect their iconic marvel counterpart well, the skills are fun to use and there's an ongoing story for players to take part in as well as an end-game that revolves around item hunting as you'd expect from most ARPGS.

The game got panned by critics and whilst a lot of the negative feedback was warranted most of them didn't give the game longer than 30 minutes, it really does bloom as you play more and with the impending patches that include both fixes, content and heroes the game can only get better.
  89. Jul 20, 2013
    As a person that was thoroughly disappointed with Diablo 3, a game like Marvel Heroes has been an absolute god-send. I've waited a few weeks since launch to write a review for it (giving Gazillion some time to hash out a few bugs), and I can honestly say the rate at which they continue to improve this game earns them a solid 10/10 in my book. It is absolutely worth a try to anyone who is even remotely a fan of the genre or the Marvel universe. Expand
  90. Jul 20, 2013
    This game keeps on getting better. I encourage anyone who has played the game at launch and stopped since then to check out all the cool stuff coming out in the very near future in the Dev Blog at https://marvelheroes.com/community/dev-blog. Gazillion is working hard to make this the best game ARPG out.
  91. Jul 20, 2013
    100 hours of play and I have left. After the improvements that have been little more than 1 month old, the game is very good and is fun, fun, maybe things missing but developers are taking it very seriously and are constantly improving it. And we can say that is better than diablo 3 xD
  92. Jul 20, 2013
    The game is honestly fun. It's future is looking very good with Gaz so connected to the community and are actually listening to the fans and making the necessary adjustments to the game which obviously have been great changes so far. I'm very excited to see where this game heads in the next couple of months.
  93. Jul 20, 2013
    At launch, Marvel Heroes had significant issues. Only a month later, and the game's basically fixed every single one of them. Not only is significant new content on the way, but a lot of it has already been added, and we're merely a week away(as of this writing) from the first new character class being added to the title. It's clear that Marvel Heroes isn't just a good game at this point, but one that's going to get better and better as time goes on. Expand
  94. Jul 20, 2013
    This game continues to improve each patch. The game launched with some issues but gazillion has done a great job listening to the community and making the game better. They have made it easier to get heroes and added some nice end game features. If you like Marvel you cant go wrong giving this free game a try.
  95. C-O
    Jul 20, 2013
    There's nothing new about this game but there's a whole lot of special. Each hero is it's own class with it's own skill tree and they're fun. Really. The devs have been patching this game on an almost weekly basis with tweaks and content. The future of this game is very bright.

IT'S FREE! GIVE IT A TRY!
  96. Jul 20, 2013
    The game had some starting issues but now it's improving at lightspeed, with very fast paced patches and incredible communication between the devs and the community.
  97. Jul 19, 2013
    When this game launched it earned its low scores; the prices were too high, the content too little, and even communication was at an all-time low. What a frackin difference 6 weeks makes. Since launch we have seen two sales, two xp/item find weekends (The second of which is going on as we speak 7-19-2013), serious patches that buff characters instead of nerfing them, two patches to address defense, a major percentage based defense fix incoming, xp buffs, a new tier of items to hunt (Cosmic Items), an increase in hero drop rates, and a permanent price cut to all items in the store. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is not the Marvel Heroes you knew at launch.

To put it in perspective for all of us ARPG gamers, Gazillion Entertainment has made more fundamental changes to Marvel Heroes in 6 weeks than Blizzard made to Diablo 3 in over a year. Is Marvel Heroes perfect? Absolutely not, but when the average (non-streamer/non-media) gamer can sit down at their PC, and have a conversation with the lead developer about the state of the game and where it is headed, then you better be frackin sure that the game is headed that way. I don’t room to mention all the awesome they are putting into this game, but I need to add that itemization is not only be worked on, but it is a top priority for this team. That other game still hasn’t fixed itemization, and has stated they will not have it implemented until 2014.

I have not seen a single negative review that actually played through the entire game and gave it a fair shake. Almost every review says something so stupid that it completely outs the fact they didn’t bother playing it. Things like “The inventory is so small and I don’t have a portal to go back to town!”. Really? You didn’t even bother playing long enough to discover the body slider? I mean, I know it’s a new idea on portals…even though Diablo 3 has been using this system since it launched… and it’s available to you from level 1.

So, after all of this gushing over the game let me tell you what I don’t like about it. My biggest complaint has to be optimization. The game does not run well on mid-range systems, and the loading times are terrible even on an SSD

Also, patch times can be long (Yet lately they have been better, and coming in at under 3 hours downtime). In a world where studios like Grinding Gear Games and ArenaNet are cranking out very substantial patches (Big in content, yet tiny in actual byte size) by giving a 10 minute warning, and patching the game in a matter of minutes with nearly no downtime; Well, let’s just say Gazillion could really benefit from their example.

Retcons. My opinion on this is probably where I can be the most toxic. In Marvel Heroes many people have paid cash for their character. Why in the burning hells would you tell your customers that the character they paid for not only can never have their levels reset back to level 1 but that they have to pay cash to respec their build? People will argue that you get one free retcon from doing a quest. It’s one free per character, and is not repeatable. Well that is a great way to introduce the system; it is not a great way to encourage the experimenting with builds.

Have we not had flat out wars over silly specs for lulz? Battle Mage anyone? Charging cash for Retcons while restricting one’s ability to re-roll their character, does nothing but stifle experimentation. All those nerds (like myself, don’t get all offended) who would tell their friends about this awesome, yet completely unlikely build they created, now have nothing to say, because it will cost them $2.50 to respect their character.

Side Note: We do have a famous character called Punchclops, (Cyclops with a melee build). If Retcons were easily attainable (their drop rates suck) would we not have more Punchclops running around? Also, they have mentioned the possibility of re-rolling once you hit level cap, similar to the prestige system in that FPS game. I love it. But I would still prefer an option to flat out re-roll anytime, and unrestricted and on the cheap.

Notable mentions: There is a ton of interaction between the developers and the community members. The upcoming test server will provide us a chance to test The Human Torch, and the new upcoming content. Patches have been aggressive, and striking to the heart of what the community has been requesting. I’ve played a lot of online games, and I have never met a more devoted and attentive development team; they even pretend I don’t come off as semi-bipolar and overly critical of certain (retcons) game mechanics. Which is nice of them.

Stay Groovy
  98. Jul 19, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is an amazingly fun time. It takes the tried and true elements of action RPGs and deftly adds the Marvel IP creating a fast pace and fun game. The development and community team is perhaps the most dedicated I have ever seen in a game, and every week the game continues to get tweaks based on player feedback. This game has already evolved into being my primary gaming outlet, and I think it has just begun.

I fully expect this game to be around for years to come and continue to be an excellent ARPG breaking ground as it goes.
  99. Jul 19, 2013
    As a Premium Pack owner, let me say I am glad I invested the money in this game. Sure, the launch was rocky. Things have improved drastically since then though. In short, the developers have been listening to the community and making [EXCELLENT] changes accordingly. They are giving our beloved characters an [at least] once over. They are making a better systems that allows players to be able to obtain heroes (and other items) without having to pay anything. They have dropped prices. They are adding a lot of content in the next couple of months. I would encourage both new players and those thinking about returning to check out their website and look the Doomsaw Dev Blog #1 and Eternity Splinter posts. Seriously, if you are thinking about returning now is the time. They are getting ready to implement a ton of new things that address issues that plagued the game early on! Expand
  100. Jul 19, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun, with many improvements constantly coming in.

Some people reviewing Marvel Heroes barely put any time into playing the game (I can tell because the information that they're "pulling" out of the game is incorrect and inaccurate). If you play the game for about 2 hours you really can't give an honest review, because you don't know the game!

Anyway, I will
    admit that Marvel Heroes has had several flaws, but with each day the flaws presence fades away. Patches have been coming in almost weekly, and the patches are based on the complaints from the community. The character prices have even been lowered because people were dissatisfied. The game is run by people who actually listen.

I've invested almost 200 hours into this game. I am very satisfied with the progress Gazillion is making, and I am excited for the future of Marvel Heroes.

1. Jul 28, 2013
    There's the hollow shell of a game. [Issue#137, p.116]
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    Under-delivers on the promise of the licence. A middling action-RPG that you’d have to be a Marvel fan to love.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    At the end of the day, though, these few good points don’t make up for the flaws with what should be the most important elements of a game like this - the combat and the loot grind - and an overall lack of polish. Being free to play, you don’t lose out on anything but 15 odd gigabytes of your data cap if you want to give Marvel Heroes a go, but with that said, it’s hard to recommend this game over the other free to play lootfests that are around.