8.8

1. Jun 19, 2012
    This game is like high budget action movie. Exciting and visually orgasmic, but only the first time around. After that, you see past the special effects, notice it's flaws and decide it wasn't that great after all. The worst part is that ME2 looks exactly the same on every playthrough. Freedom of choice or non-linearity? Forget it! The only choices you can make are whether you want Shep toThis game is like high budget action movie. Exciting and visually orgasmic, but only the first time around. After that, you see past the special effects, notice it's flaws and decide it wasn't that great after all. The worst part is that ME2 looks exactly the same on every playthrough. Freedom of choice or non-linearity? Forget it! The only choices you can make are whether you want Shep to be a jerkass or a slightly nicer jerkass when talking to people. Even paragon Shepard isn't really someone you'd want to meet. The only thing I really liked about ME2 were the squad members - while they aren't exactly nice people, they're all well written and generally likeable. Overall, ME2 is a dumbed down ME1 (which was hardly a complex cRPG) stripped of it's non linearity and fitted with better graphics and a more Gears of War style combat system. Good for one go, but no more. Expand
  2. Jun 3, 2013
    As a person who's played Mass Effect 2 both on the PS3 and PC, I have all rights to say that with me being a dedicated fan to the franchise, this never stood up to be the proper sequel to Mass Effect 1 everyone wanted to be. Sure it's good compared to Mass Effect 3, but let's forget that disaster for a moment and get down to what Mass Effect 2 had, and what it shouldn't have had.

First of all, the PC Port is pretty bad. I mean I am glad that aiming with the mouse works as it should, but binding Sprint/Interact/Cover all to the same button? What happened to the special treatment Mass Effect 1 got for PC? None of that is there, and the game really suffers greatly from having sprint and cover on the same button as you find yourself locking into cover while trying to retreat from the enemies, leaving you completely exposed to their gunfire while you go through the animations of getting out of cover again. Mass Effect 1 had you just pressing against cover without the need of button presses, and allowed you to crouch in cover too. What happened to all of that?

Now the removal of overheat and grenades are for balance, I can understand that and honestly I wasn't bothered by it as much as I could've been, however, the in-world explanation is just so damn stupid I can't imagine how BioWare managed to laugh up the fact that it would be a good idea to choose that over the overheat system.

A lot of missions are repetitive, which is something all three entries suffer greatly from. While Mass Effect 2 at least varies its' environments, half of the loyalty missions and sidequests consist of nothing but mindless shooting with 2 minute long cutscenes at the start and end trying to justify why it made sense to enter a gunfight, and sadly here Mass Effect 2 doesn't fare any better than any other third person shooter. If you were dumb enough to play as Soldier, you're gonna get the bore of your life as this game is all about biotics and tech, so there are some classes which are absolutely boring to play as compared to others. My personal favorite was Vanguard, which I think was amazing to play as and I had a good time playing through the game.

Dialogue wise, it was outstanding, the story is well told and executed surprisingly well looking at the state of gaming back then. The interrupts were a great addition and you can't criticize Mass Effect 2 for its lack of dialogue. This game executes its characters really well and does an excellent job immersing you in the story and making your personal morale affect what choices you make in the game. Top notch!

Last but not least, the save game system, which was meh at best. You'd get some letters from people or extra dialogue, however you don't miss a lot not having a Mass Effect 1 save game ready.

Overall though, this game is really flawed in comparison to Mass Effect 1. A 4 is the brutally honest rating I'd give this game, because as far as it fares against its predecessor, it's cons largely obscure its pros, merely for the fact that Mass Effect 1 offered almost all of that too.
  3. Jan 11, 2016
    The second game in the series is the middle ground between the mediocrity of Mass Effect 1 and the fu... bad work of Mass Effect 3.

The writing is significantly worse, and the whole game is one big DLC-quality content. I remember when after the final mission against the Collectors I was thinking "now, the game starts", only to see the ending credits. What? Fortunately, the gameplay improved, meaning the game is a straightforwardly mediocre TPS, with really badly designed levels that don't even try to disguise themselves as another "pop-a-mole" arenas.

And that's it, really. There's not much to talk about this game, because it's literally some filler quests of day-caring your handicapped companions who can't wipe themselves off after using a toilet.
    Wait, there's one of the best **** in the history of writing. Well, at least it was until Mass Effect 3 was released. It's the Harbringer - writers turned the already weak (with the ending of Mass Effect 1) premise of the Reapers as something really "outworldy", and before they've turned them into dragons with armies of zombies (ME3), in ME2 their leader is some kind of comedian controlling the Collectors, that keeps dying and dying after one headshot (on the highest difficulty setting) from a sniper rifle, spitting out some BS like "you feel the pain Shepard", "you will loose", etc.
    What they forgot to implement in the final version is the line of "I WILL GET YOU NEXT TIME, GADGET!"

It's a considerable doze of pop-a-mole action for 1€. Well, 5€ is the maximum amount I would pay for this title.
  4. Jul 6, 2012
    The continuation of amazing Mass Effect 1. The scenario and variety of options are still great. The graphics have been hugely improved. All the characters and the world is really beautiful. Besides, you can still choose how to end the game, whether die or to end like a hero and save the world. You can choose whether to be cruel boss or a great leader, whether to be friendly of flirty...The continuation of amazing Mass Effect 1. The scenario and variety of options are still great. The graphics have been hugely improved. All the characters and the world is really beautiful. Besides, you can still choose how to end the game, whether die or to end like a hero and save the world. You can choose whether to be cruel boss or a great leader, whether to be friendly of flirty... This is the best RPG I have ever played. 100% recommend to buy it !!! Expand
  5. Mar 16, 2011
    I enjoyed Mass Effect 2, I really did. But when I'd finished it, I felt...unsatisfied. Perhaps it was because the tactical element to the game - issuing orders to squad-mates - was really a bit of a fig-leaf, because I could get on perfectly well without them for most of the game. Perhaps it was because there wasn't much opportunity to interact with my crew. Perhaps it was because theI enjoyed Mass Effect 2, I really did. But when I'd finished it, I felt...unsatisfied. Perhaps it was because the tactical element to the game - issuing orders to squad-mates - was really a bit of a fig-leaf, because I could get on perfectly well without them for most of the game. Perhaps it was because there wasn't much opportunity to interact with my crew. Perhaps it was because the dialogue wheel is perhaps one of the most frustrating means of interacting in a conversation ever devised in an RPG, and what I thought I was saying was frequently not what I actually said. But mostly it's because the game runs on rails. There is no real opportunity to go off on a frolic of your own: BioWare has a story, and they're going to tell it, whether you like it or not. It feels like a smaller game than the original. On the positive side, the graphics are an improvement on the original - which wasn't bad --, the voice acting is good and the plot is engaging, when it's not being rammed down my throat. But there isn't actually very much to do and I did have the impression that I was just pressing buttons between cut-scenes for quite a lot of the game. Expand
  6. Mar 21, 2011
    ME2 was a huge improvement over its predecessor. Not only did they remove many of the irritating tidbits that bogged players down in the level-up and equipment screens for hours, but they also improved gameplay drastically. The result is a well-made, fun game that easily makes the top of my list of games in 2010.
  7. Aug 14, 2010
    Playing this game felt like playing a mediocre movie. Character development was poor, the characters were generally bland, plot development was practically spoon-fed to you (e.g., characters made major discoveries as if through sheer epiphany whereas ME1 would have taken the time to gather and piece together the clues). The game was severely watered-down; I don't need to get into the majorPlaying this game felt like playing a mediocre movie. Character development was poor, the characters were generally bland, plot development was practically spoon-fed to you (e.g., characters made major discoveries as if through sheer epiphany whereas ME1 would have taken the time to gather and piece together the clues). The game was severely watered-down; I don't need to get into the major complaints that you've likely already heard about the new weapon/armor/ammo system - they're pretty common. Recruiting characters was a tad ridiculous because, unlike ME1 where the people you recruited were random encounters during your mission, in ME2 the people you recruit are specifically targeted and all of their recruitment missions made them out to be essentially demigods of raw physical/biotic/mental superiority, only to have them suddenly turn into lame ducks when they were in your party (for the sake of game balance). Half the game's missions involved recruitment and loyalty missions for your squad; there was very little in the way of actual side missions or of a main quest line. You'll waste a ton of time scanning planets for minerals and launching probes to harvest them - a ridiculously tedious process, although not quite as tedious as exploring in ME1 was - and you'll be left wondering where the $%!# element zero is. Character reappearances in this game were awkward and their personalities (except for Garrus/Tali) made huge, seemingly random changes. Speaking of random, the dialog options seemed to award Paragon/Renegade points completely randomly. You'll finish a dialog to find you got both Paragon and Renegade points, wondering where on earth one or the other could possibly have come from. If you decide to be Paragon (good guy), many of the "Paragon" options involve making intimidating threats, extortion, use of force, or even for having somebody killed. That does not sound very "Paragon" to me. Very seldom are the Paragon choices truly "Paragon" in nature. This game was definitely made to be played as a Renegade, which should probably be somewhat expected, considering the entire plot line involves you being forced to work with terrorists and thug gangs.

All in all, the game was passable, but it simply lost the magic that Mass Effect 1 had, which is a shame because they could have so easily have stuck to the original formula, focused more on making a solid plot with great character development, interesting characters, and a strong quest line, and had an amazing game. But hey, at least EA decided to ship this game with only a simple CD key check, and no other restrictive DRM. That's a huge plus over the first. Still, I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks for this game. It was simply a bland experience overall. And another note, if you played ME1 on the 360, you may want to Google for a "character import tool" for ME2 so that you can make sure you're truly starting where you left off instead of going with the default story line. It makes a huge, huge, huge difference.
  8. Jan 19, 2011
    Downgraded mainstream sequel

Downgraded mainstream sequel

Most missions follow an identical procedure. RPG depht suffers from poorer skilling options and a more linear levelstructure than the first title. architectual patterns often repeat. The story adds additional depht to the universe, but conservative implementations such as ammunition or fuel subvert the logic of the immersive gameworld. Visuals are stunning! The characters are well drawn and bring their own background story.
  9. PopeR.
    Jan 28, 2010
    Mass Effect 2 for PC has shockingly bad gameplay. The movement controls make it feel like your wearing mittens. There is no way to change the mouse sensitivity. You can only sprint in perfectly straight lines. There is absolutely no smoothness to the interaction with the environment. You would think that there have been no advances in computer games since ME1 came out. I love the Mass Effect 2 for PC has shockingly bad gameplay. The movement controls make it feel like your wearing mittens. There is no way to change the mouse sensitivity. You can only sprint in perfectly straight lines. There is absolutely no smoothness to the interaction with the environment. You would think that there have been no advances in computer games since ME1 came out. I love the characters, the story, the setting. I guarantee you'll never see a demo of ME2 for PC, because nobody who tries it for an hour would ever buy it. Maybe the console versions are better, but the PC version is a horrible disappointment. Expand
  10. Jun 2, 2011
    Let me start of by saying I don't hate the game, I enjoyed it, for about 4 hours, then I didn't.

I'd heard a lot of good about this game, so I figured, I'll give it a shot, so I did, and I wasn't disappointed, it had shooting, RPG elements, and some fun psychic moves that let me throw people about, can't complain with that. And I played it, went into one room, hid behind a box and

And I played it, went into one room, hid behind a box and dispatched the enemies in numerous ways, changing cover now and then. Then the next room, I hid behind a crate and dispatched enemies in numerous ways, changing cover now and then. And again, and again. It never changed, it is at heart, a cover based shooter with some RPG elements, even so, the RPG elements are pretty black and white, "Will I shoot this hopeless orphan with my firey kitten gun? Or will I donate all my limbs to the children in need program? Or perhaps I shall remain in a state of permanent apathy and bypass all these mundane problems.".

That's not good choice making, it's just saying to you, will you be a bad guy, good guy, or neutral? And it even blatantly tells you which is which, "Say this to appear as a rogue who does his own thing, or say this to appear as Jesus himself".

I played it for several hours, about 10 I believe, before I realised the gameplay wasn't going anywhere and I was essentially playing Gears of War or Rainbow Six under pretence of an RPG in a 3rd person angle, which is my least favourite kind of shooter regardless, the only game I've played that has done it well is Resident Evil 4, even then I couldn't move whilst I shot.

The story however did, for the 10 hours I played it, seem good, it may have got better, which wouldn't surprise me, it was honestly memorable and I can see why people enjoy it, but it tried to present itself as more than it was, like a dog that claims it can talk and ride a unicycle, whereas it can only ride a tricycle and has no speech mastery. Impressive for sure, but it's not what I was expecting, and there are other games that do it better.

My last gripe with the game is Jack, I rescued her from prison where she completely breezed through hundreds of robots and guards alike with not a scratch on her, she was truly unstoppable and I couldn't wait to get her on my team, then when she WAS on my team, an aggressive looking shrub would be enough to subdue this once feared God of a woman. My point here is, don't sell me Wonder Woman and then give me a generic horror film girl who lasts about 3 minutes before deciding to "See what that masked figure wants to talk about".
  11. Mar 28, 2012
    I am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first game, and this one is even better. Hopping around the galaxy, walking through the Citadel, and talking to your squad on the Normandy is as cozy as it always were: you snuggle up with blankets, listen to the same lovely music as in Mass Effect 1, and just let yourself be enveloped by the game and by the world. There is no more driving theI am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first game, and this one is even better. Hopping around the galaxy, walking through the Citadel, and talking to your squad on the Normandy is as cozy as it always were: you snuggle up with blankets, listen to the same lovely music as in Mass Effect 1, and just let yourself be enveloped by the game and by the world. There is no more driving the infamous Mako, a major drag in Mass Effect 1.

Combat is as much fun as in Mass Effect 1 â
  12. Aug 14, 2011
    The game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being howThe game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being how you want to act and react as well as allow one to customize ones character very well, excellent story with believable, varied characters and world that keeps ones interest, excellent sound, music and especially voice acting.Neutral points that can be improved upon: the hacking and bypassing mini-games are fine but they are too simple and become tedious relatively fast, scanning planets for resources is okay at first but becomes boring quite quickly Cons: Short main story, feels repetitive at times, although the game allows one to customize ones character very well there are not many different weapons or armour available, the game does a good job of creating an illusion that it is a big game but in actual fact it is not. There are only four landable locations, the rest of the locations one only goes there once for a mission. Overall a excellent game that i enjoyed very much although there are a few things that can make it even better.Mass effect 3 just needs to build on the rpg elements and have a bit more variety as well as be a bigger game to surpass it's predecessor, lets hope it does .9/10 Expand
  13. Nov 7, 2011
    After playing first game, this one is far more better. In every step, you can see improvements. Graphics are sharper and better, combat system is better, you got more characters to interact with (in your team). Other things like story telling, soundtrack or that high quality of level designs are same. They rip-off some useless RPG elements, so thats good, you don't have to spend points toAfter playing first game, this one is far more better. In every step, you can see improvements. Graphics are sharper and better, combat system is better, you got more characters to interact with (in your team). Other things like story telling, soundtrack or that high quality of level designs are same. They rip-off some useless RPG elements, so thats good, you don't have to spend points to abilities like hacking. You got this one as passive, so that's the progress. I simply love this game, see ya in ME3 Expand
  14. Jan 31, 2012
    Developer's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from thisDeveloper's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from this episode is that I've died at the beginning (nice one Bioware!) and then picking up some members of my team only to make some wrong decisions at the end and almost killed them then... xD The game is very good and I had a lot of fun but I don't agree with some decisions made there.

Overall:
    ------------
    Graphics 10/10

Audio 9.5/10 (hate the death sound)

Gameplay 9/10 (getting companions -> finishing the game)
  15. Jan 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They took away the original concept of Mass Effect and made it a FPS...disappointed but still like the story. I dread the mind numbing planet scanning, would definitely not miss this in the next game. Expand
  16. Aug 5, 2013
    The fact that this game feels like just another generic TPS with a dialogue wheel bothers me if this could've combined the RPG elements of Mass Effect 1 and blended them in perfectly with the new gun mechanics it would've have been much happier, also the fact they give the finger to decisions the player made in ME 1 really bothers me still a fairly decent game.
  17. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing. I can't say enough about it. It's very possibly the best game I've ever played in nearly 15 years of gaming. HIGHLY recommended. Be sure to play the original first, as it makes the experience that much more immersive.
  18. May 29, 2012
    The least fun in the trilogy. ME2 took almost everything that I loved in ME1 away, but at least they made the controls tighter and much better. It's definitely worth playing, and I've but ~50 hours into it total in two playthroughs, but compared to the first game it just doesn't quite cut it. Even ME3 is better.
  19. Nov 9, 2011
    User Interface 7/10
    Sounds 7/10
    Music 7/10
  20. Nov 13, 2011
    I was waiting for a game to finish updating so to kill time I started up mass effect 2. I spent my ENTIRE weekend playing mass effect and it really shows how in depth the gameplay is and why it has such a good metacritic rating. i was so happy when i finished the suicide mission casualty free on sunday at 5 o'clock
  21. Dec 20, 2011
    This game came out about the same time I met my current girlfriend. Godammn it! Eventually I decided to let her in on a little secret of mine. I told her that frequently after we say goodnight and I drop her off home, I go home to my room and take command of a spaceship, called the Normandy. Didn't make any mention of the little thing I was hoping to get going with one of the cuteThis game came out about the same time I met my current girlfriend. Godammn it! Eventually I decided to let her in on a little secret of mine. I told her that frequently after we say goodnight and I drop her off home, I go home to my room and take command of a spaceship, called the Normandy. Didn't make any mention of the little thing I was hoping to get going with one of the cute hands-on-deck (Ashley I think her name was ). And then I cruise around galaxies and star systems looking for minerals, exploration activities, fights, battles and quests. Thus I had to admit that even though she thought she was starting a relationship with a switched-on intelligent guy, I was actually one of those moronic imbeclies that play RPG games on their computer. Suffice to say it didn't go down to well ... Why you'd want to know that I don't know, but what I'm trying to say is that I had to explain what this game was to a person that has never played a game in their life before. Once she could see that there was "story", "character development", "adventure", "combat" and "politics", she was much more impressed. I actually used this as an excuse to get her round to my place one night, by saying something along the lines, "I'll let you choose which planet we go to :)". Expand
  22. Dec 28, 2011
    So the sequel to one of the best sci-fi games arrived, and even though it came back in 2010 I felt it should be my first review for anyone interested, so lets start through my evaluation method comprised of: Graphics, Gameplay, Story and Soundtrack & Effects.

Graphics: in 2010 we had a few graphic showcases but nothing as mind blowing as 2011's Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3. However Mass Effect 2 had a very interesting way of mixing the futuristic art-style with the lightning and effects, by that i mean the game is beautiful but do not expect to be amazed by it. All I can say is it shines on where it needs to and shows extremely well how a sci-fi graphic style should be. Graphics Grade: 9.5/10

Gameplay: this is where Mass Effect 2 really differs from its predecessor, the gameplay is less focused on pointless exploration and more fluid, I believe that the removal of many RPG elements was necessary in order to make the game less level dependant. I tend to prefer a game that relies on my skills; not my level. Of course that completely changes the genre, but in my opinion Bioware has taken the great RPG elements, which were the conversations and decision making and mixed those with a very good shooting dynamic mechanism that simply works better than having to change weapons and go to inventory at every 10 minutes. Gameplay Grade: 9/10

Story: The story of Mass Effect 2 is simply fantastic, I won't spoil it here, but what i can say is that the player's decisions take a heavy impact on how the characters are developed so think well before choosing just any line of dialog. If you finished the first game than you can already have an idea of how the story plays, however the plot is more focused on character development this time around. Story Grade: 10/10

Soundtrack: I consider the soundtrack of a game to be of vital importance in order for its atmosphere to be sustained, and Mass Effect 2 has every thing a person needs to hear to become hypnotized by its contagious sci-fi fantasy. The sound effects are the very edge between realistic and fictional and the soundtrack has variable tones of intensity and tranquility. Soundtrack & Effects Grade: 10/10

The Final Grade is composed of an average of the previous four, so the...

Final Grade for Mass Effect 2: 9.625/10 which means 10/10.
  23. Jan 16, 2012
    Mass Effect 1 was great, it had its problems but they never got in the way of your enjoyment of the game.
    Mass Effect 2 failed as a sequel for many reasons. Before I get to the bad stuff, i will say the things I like.
    The characters, although not brilliant, are well done and entertaining. The graphics are nice and environments are well detailed. The gameplay is great for what it is.

The characters, although not brilliant, are well done and entertaining.
    The graphics are nice and environments are well detailed.
    The gameplay is great for what it is.
    Levels are more diverse than it's predecessor

Now the bad:

Mining and exploration is tedious and boring, a well designed level should have all the resources you need.
    The story is horrible, and a slap in the face considering this is from Bioware and a sequel to Mass Effect.
    The DLC stories are what the game should have been about.
    The game is less RPG, and more Gears of War clone.

Overall, fans of the original may be disappointed, but for what it is, not a bad game.
  24. Mar 8, 2012
    To start off I'm going to say that I enjoyed the game and I'm giving it a 7/10. This game is best thought of as a separate game from the original Mass Effect. The gameplay is very different, many of the RPG elements that Mass Effect DID have, they have removed in this game; the inventory system from the first game has been removed and replaced with a tiny inventory with a very smallTo start off I'm going to say that I enjoyed the game and I'm giving it a 7/10. This game is best thought of as a separate game from the original Mass Effect. The gameplay is very different, many of the RPG elements that Mass Effect DID have, they have removed in this game; the inventory system from the first game has been removed and replaced with a tiny inventory with a very small selection. Weapon pickups are a very rare and scripted event. The story on its own is good and interesting, the characters are darker and the whole theme of the game seems to have been influenced at least a bit by film noir. The music has perhaps too much orchestra and "epic" sounding music rather than the iconic synthesized space music that was in the original game but it is still present to a reasonable degree. One of my main complaints about Mass Effect 2 is that, rather than keeping the good things and improving upon/ fixing the flaws which were present in the original game, many of the flaws are still present and even some of the good things about the first game are not present in the second. One of these good things which has been removed is something I am very sad about; the planet/ galaxy exploration. In the original game you could drive around in a recon vehicle on the surfaces of many planets even if it wasn't required by the plot. This gave the game a very 'big' feel. The galaxy seemed vast, yours to explore and discover. Now, admittedly, the physics for this vehicle were quite silly and unpredictable and didn't quite work with the hilly terrain, but the music on these planets, the beautiful background art and the cool effects like a blizzard or meteor shower made it an amazing experience. Rather than fixing the handling of this vehicle for the second game, Bioware decided to remove planet exploration completely. They replaced it with the ability to 'scan' planets for resources with the option of occasionally landing for a scripted mission in a small area or corridor shootout. The game suffers for this. The universe seems much MUCH smaller. Scanning planets is very tedious and dull.

The game also seems a bit rushed or incomplete. The characters don't quite flesh out and some aren't developed very well at all. One example is the character "Garrus" and alien companion who returns from the first game. In Mass effect 1 & 2 you can move around your ship conversing with the various characters who are traveling with you and most of them have quite a lot to say. Garrus, however, keeps telling me to 'wait a bit' because he's in the middle of calibrating something. Garrus was an interesting and relatable character in Mass Effect 1 and a fan favorite and to see him left underdeveloped like this is really quite disappointing.

Criticism aside, many of the side quests in this game were interesting and the locations were a lot of fun to explore. The story was good sometimes and bad others. Overall I enjoyed the game though it was very different from the first.
  25. Mar 11, 2012
    My review for this one is similar to the first. Gameplay: Walk slowly down hallways, aim slowly at bad guys, press a button to take cover as they slowly walk and aim at you. Like every other console third person shooter, only especially slow. The story; you are a space marine fighting an alien force bent on destroying life. Sound familiar? It should, and I shouldn't have to list theMy review for this one is similar to the first. Gameplay: Walk slowly down hallways, aim slowly at bad guys, press a button to take cover as they slowly walk and aim at you. Like every other console third person shooter, only especially slow. The story; you are a space marine fighting an alien force bent on destroying life. Sound familiar? It should, and I shouldn't have to list the HUNDREDS of examples. The definition of average. The one thing this game has over similar titles is the speech options and customizations that allow you to feel like your game is special. It's not, but at least they pull off the ability to make you feel it is. Mass effect 2 has one issue in particular that I feel should be discussed. Many of the things you attempt are oddly limited, despite the games hinting towards your ability to accomplish such things. For example, the second time I played the game, I played as fem shep, just so I could totally lez out (Im a typical 20 something bro). The game seemed like it would allow you to do whatever (or whomever) I wished, but then at the end, denied. So I just figured girl on girl action just wasn't in the game...until I found out later that is was, only with specific characters. One of those characters is NOT the girl who says shes slept with women before! Say what you will about gay stuff, but that's just bad game design. A good game will either flat out tell you something is impossible (fable will show you if a character digs chicks before you even talk to them) or never present you with an option to waste your time (halflife has no romance). A bad game design will let the player waste his time doing something it hints towards being possible, only to punish them later. We play games to get away from that crap. Many aspects of this games choose your own adventure style play are bad game design, even more so than the first. Expand
  26. Mar 13, 2012
    I love that game. I have beaten it few times now, which is a lot for a 30 hours long game. I guess that says everything. As much as it could be better game and it could incorporate your choices in more distinctive way (they are mainly one-liners in dialogue), It still has lovable universe, great plot line, rewarding gameplay and it is a "Star Wars saga of Games".
  27. Mar 22, 2012
    Took away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is nowTook away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is now pause. What used to be pause is now run. What used to be interact is now order squad mate, and the new run key is also the new interact key. So if you're coming straight from ME1 be prepared to get frustrated while you get used to the new controls. Besides those 2 things the game is great and a huge improvement over (the already great) mass effect 1. And the way it carries over decisions made in the previous game adds a whole new layer of immersion and replayability. Expand
  28. Nov 4, 2012
    If you love the sci-fi genre you will be satisfied. Immersive, good dialogues, good character developement; good cinematics. The whole experience has been truly enthralling. Worth every dime.
  29. Feb 17, 2011
    This is a cross between third person shooter Gears of War and RPG Dragon Age. While being good at both genres, the game never strives to be great at either. The graphics, voice acting, and cinematic scenes are what really shines the most. However, the 94 metascore rating seems very generous. The level design is linear, character development is flat, the RPG experience is weak, and theThis is a cross between third person shooter Gears of War and RPG Dragon Age. While being good at both genres, the game never strives to be great at either. The graphics, voice acting, and cinematic scenes are what really shines the most. However, the 94 metascore rating seems very generous. The level design is linear, character development is flat, the RPG experience is weak, and the story provides paltry excitement at best--an over-hyped snoozer. Expand
  30. Jan 13, 2011
    Although completely abandoning the RPG genre, this game is a epic experience which I enjoyed until the very last moment.

Reaper menace is the most fearsome I have seen on many years, feeling a true sense of urgency many times.

I feel the new allies are a bit depressing. Most of them are too though and a little of naivety would have been welcomed.
  31. Jan 25, 2011
    Starts out with an unnecessary, and hypocritical bang, and doesn't get much better. The characters are stiff in my eyes, though have well developed background stories. The fighting is fun at first, but the game is far too easy and fighting becomes very expected (hint: if you see barriers, you're in for a boring fight). Hacking is interesting, then repetitive and dull. The story is notStarts out with an unnecessary, and hypocritical bang, and doesn't get much better. The characters are stiff in my eyes, though have well developed background stories. The fighting is fun at first, but the game is far too easy and fighting becomes very expected (hint: if you see barriers, you're in for a boring fight). Hacking is interesting, then repetitive and dull. The story is not enough to fill up the lengthy gameplay. Annoying bugs. Expand
  32. Jan 17, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a very playable, often exciting, beautifully crafted, very flawed game. If it had been named something else, say "Space Times With Ttitielady And Toadman Clone", I'm sure I'd even say I was impressed. But it's not named that; it's named "Mass Effect" and it does not live up to its ambitions in that regard.

+The game's graphics are pretty. +You don't have to manage your

+The game's graphics are pretty.
    +You don't have to manage your inventory anymore.
    +Play (in combat) as some classes is as engaging as the original; play as others has vastly improved; in no case has it gotten worse. This is a big plus.
    +BioWare's usual well-acted scripts with attention to plot holes and detail.

-The game has a mere shadow of a plot. Most of the game is incredibly meta about its lack of a plot in a way that will rip you out of the immersion in no time. It is this author's opinion that the writers of this trilogy know what they want to do and how, but only really have the material for games 1 and 3. 2 was a marketing necessity.
    -Some of the game's characters are written like they crawled out of a bad JRPG. Let's not go back to those days.
    -The characters that aren't bad are engaged in some pretty heinously fanservice stuff.
    -If you liked all the inventory management and number crunching from ME1, you'll miss that (I didn't especially).
    -There is a "final boss". And he will make you laugh.
    -The number of choices the player can make that affect the game with ME2 has greatly increased, but they are almost all superficial. Usually when you play a BioWare game, sooner or later you are afforded an option that really clicks with what you've been thinking. In ME2, for the purposes of the meagre plot, the only decision that you might have made that would really change things, you can only make one way. In pen and paper gaming this is called "railroading" and is looked on as very poor writing indeed.
  33. CraigL
    Mar 2, 2010
    All I can say is - it's NOT an RPG. Not even nearly an RPG. It's like Gears of War more than an RPG. Ther comes a point when so much that makes an RPG what it is is removed, and you can no longer call a game an RPG. ME2 is the game that takes the p*ss in this regard. It couldn't see the outline of the word RPG with a telescope attached to a pair of binoculars. If you like All I can say is - it's NOT an RPG. Not even nearly an RPG. It's like Gears of War more than an RPG. Ther comes a point when so much that makes an RPG what it is is removed, and you can no longer call a game an RPG. ME2 is the game that takes the p*ss in this regard. It couldn't see the outline of the word RPG with a telescope attached to a pair of binoculars. If you like on rails shooters like Gears of War, then this might be for you. If you were looking for an RPG, don't get conned. This is most definately NOT ONE, I give it 5 because I got it for B/day, played demo night before,(finished demo twice) then took original back to shop unopened (seal intact) and 5 is an average. Why does every game have to become more like "generic shooter 37b" soon they might as well just have one game, and call it "slightly better shooter than the last one 88b" Sad days Expand
  34. Nov 16, 2012
    In my opinion this is the best installment of the series. We are introduced to some of the best character in the series ■Grunt ■Jack ■Jacob Taylor ■Kasumi Goto
    ■Legion ■Miranda Lawson ■Mordin Solus ■Samara or Morinth ■Tali'Zorah vas Neema / Normandy
    ■Thane Krios ■Zaeed Massani And the old friends also returned. I loved
    ■Thane Krios ■Zaeed Massani
    And the old friends also returned. I loved the dark and grim atmosphere of the game. The collectors were very interesting villains. The pace of the game and the story were perfect. The graphics were improved. For the first time the player could explore the galaxy, which was a great addition. Weapon and armor customization was introduced. Player decisions really changed the outcome of the ending. I can only recommend the game. Don't forget to import your save files from ME1!
  35. Oct 6, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a well-written game whose experience may be hindered by the surprisingly-linear level design. However the game does allow you to make certain choices when it comes to speaking with people which largely affects the outcome of the story. Also, the gameplay might not have as many RPG elements as its predecessor, but it works as a solid shooter in an over-saturated market ofMass Effect 2 is a well-written game whose experience may be hindered by the surprisingly-linear level design. However the game does allow you to make certain choices when it comes to speaking with people which largely affects the outcome of the story. Also, the gameplay might not have as many RPG elements as its predecessor, but it works as a solid shooter in an over-saturated market of modern military shooters i.e. Call of Duty. Visuals are gorgeous too. Between the highly-detailed environments and use of lighting, you might feel like you're watching J.J. Abrams' very own space opera. Definitely check this one out if you haven't already. Expand
  36. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While it does vastly improve the combat and gameplay of its previous iteration, the story of the game feels so illogical, despite being good and quite interesting. Why do you have to go around the galaxy doing unnecessary sidequests for each character to gain their loyalty, and why would they all want to follow you into an almost certain death anyhow? And how come Shepard with just a small squad is capable of obliterating a god-damn reaper and defeat the whole collectors base on his own, when none else can in the whole damn galaxy with billions, and billions of inhabitants. How come he succeeded so easily? Expand
  37. Jun 29, 2012
    3 points for graphic and storyline. The game is a nice action adventure, but not a RPG. Wolfenstein from 2008 is more a RPG than Mass Effect. With 3 team members your avatar wipe out all life in the galaxy in 2 long weekends, than you have get the maximum player level and when you have all the upgrades, perks, abilitys and items the games ends abruptly, you can drop your lovely leveled3 points for graphic and storyline. The game is a nice action adventure, but not a RPG. Wolfenstein from 2008 is more a RPG than Mass Effect. With 3 team members your avatar wipe out all life in the galaxy in 2 long weekends, than you have get the maximum player level and when you have all the upgrades, perks, abilitys and items the games ends abruptly, you can drop your lovely leveled avatar in the trash and start a new game. For me the game is only a stand alone graphic patch for Star Wars KOTOR. Extreme potential wasted! Expand
  38. May 9, 2016
    I am assuming direct control of this review:

I am assuming direct control of this review:

BioWare’s first Mass Effect felt like a KOTOR clone. The universe was a place we wanted to live in, but there were too many systems and menus to dig through to get there. BioWare streamed back and watered down RPG mechanics and streamlined gameplay to put more emphasis on the shooting mechanics with the 2nd game of the saga. Turns out, it wasn't so bad after all: Mass Effect 2 trims just enough fat to let you focus on what matters: the optional Loyalty missions for your team.

Instead of an exercise in galactic exploration, Mass Effect 2 plays out like a sci-fi Ocean's Eleven or Dirty Dozen. Recruiting a team to take on the Collectors puts the focus on small, interesting stories. Each Loyalty mission gives you insight into your companions’ motivations, making every member of the Normandy's crew an unusually deep character. Once you've grown to know and love them, the endgame suicide run is one of the tensest final missions ever. It's rare for a game to spend more time on character arcs than its central driving narrative, but Mass Effect 2 pulls it off. This is some of the best writing in BioWare's history, and a deeply satisfying gaming experience.

The clunky controls with the usual catering to consoles drag down PC gameplay, Trying to determine how scale-itch got onto Normandy. Sexually-transmitted disease. Only carried by varren. Implications unpleasant.

Still 6 years later, Mass Effect 2 hold the line. So enjoy yourself while possible, Shepard. Will be here, replaying Mass Effect 2. Much simpler. Less alcohol and mood music required. Only BioWare could pull something like that, someone else might have gotten it wrong.

I rate 10 because it’s so easy to see the galaxy in black and white. Gray? I don’t know what to do with gray.
  39. poor
    Feb 16, 2010
    Having removed all the rpg elements as mentioned, this is basically a straight up shooter with gameplay akin to Mafia or Godfather. As a shooter, I've seen £10 russian games be more fun. The only reason this deserves any marks at all is the cinematography, story and production value. Having said that, you might as well read a book. This is pretty much just dross.
  40. RickS.
    Mar 22, 2010
    They stripped out almost every RPG element from the first game. We pretty much don't have stats anymore neither does our guns and armor, can't change squadmates armor, you use the same gun from the beginning to the end of the game, you have like 6 skills and your squadmates have only 4! I bought it expecting a sequel from ME1, not a reboot. If I wanted to play a pure TPS I would They stripped out almost every RPG element from the first game. We pretty much don't have stats anymore neither does our guns and armor, can't change squadmates armor, you use the same gun from the beginning to the end of the game, you have like 6 skills and your squadmates have only 4! I bought it expecting a sequel from ME1, not a reboot. If I wanted to play a pure TPS I would buy a pure TPS. Expand
  41. Mar 7, 2011
    If you are a fun of mass effect universe then it is an absolute buy.Less rpg then the first one but the story is a masterpiece!It also has a lot of dlc out that gives a great value.
  42. Aug 23, 2011
    A true Sci-Fi epic and the best game I have played. With top notch visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot, this is the current high bar. Plus, it remembers everything you did in the previous game.
  43. Mar 29, 2011
    I enjoyed this game a lot, but agree with other critics that they took away a very fun element, which was the RPG element, probably a bit less micromanagement was the way to go, not completely removing it.

I also found it a bit short, kinda disappointed that i have to pay to get any more extra content that should have been included as side quests for the money i payed...
  44. Alex
    Jan 30, 2010
    A good game, but nowhere near the same caliber ME1 was. They stripped away almost all RPG elements so it's pretty much a straight up shooter with a good story. No inventory or loot, lack of sidequests, no freedom, no exploration, very linear, barely any use for money, dumbed down leveling system, lack of skills, lack of variation in armor/weapons
  45. anonanon
    Feb 18, 2010
    This isn't an RPG, it's an FPS. Stop trying to convince yourself it's not. If you want an RPG, go play something also by BioWare, DA:O or KOTOR1. BioWare is smart, they target all ends of the spectrum. They release FPS's disguised as RPG's for people like you, who gave this game a 10/10, so you can feel smart. Try this game on "Insanity" as a Soldier/Vanguard. This isn't an RPG, it's an FPS. Stop trying to convince yourself it's not. If you want an RPG, go play something also by BioWare, DA:O or KOTOR1. BioWare is smart, they target all ends of the spectrum. They release FPS's disguised as RPG's for people like you, who gave this game a 10/10, so you can feel smart. Try this game on "Insanity" as a Soldier/Vanguard. It's pathetically easy. ALL your abilities are "make me shoot better" or "make me not die". Story? It sucks. But what can you expect, it's the 2nd part in a trilogy, it always sucks. Companion missions are a joke. Try failing them, I'm pretty sure it's impossible. Weapon variety: none. You can get upgrades that have zero visible difference. All they do is make the game even easier. Replayability? What's the point? It's going to be the same **** again. And this brings up another point. During some sections of the game (no spoilers), it literally does NOT matter what dialogue options you pick, the outcome is the same. Even when one is paragon and the other is renegade. This system of illusive choice feels more like a lie then "RPG freedom". If you're not going to use my input, don't make me sit through 2 minutes of dialogue. Redeeming qualities: everyone likes being over powered. The ability to directly sway conversations with the paragon/renegade interruptions was creative as well. Score: 5/10 because it's not an RPG, it's way too easy, has low replay value, insanely linear, and almost no variety in terms of what your abilities do (kill enemy type A B or C). No, I'm not a troll. I actually do think this. Expand
  46. Snk
    Mar 12, 2010
    First of all, ME2 is by no means a bad game. The characters are appealing, the graphics are good and the voice acting, while over-the-top at times, is overall convincing. The problem is, unless you've been living under a rock for a past ten years Mass Effect 2 has absolutely nothing new to offer. Recycle a good chunk of plot elements from previous Bioware games, add GoW-style First of all, ME2 is by no means a bad game. The characters are appealing, the graphics are good and the voice acting, while over-the-top at times, is overall convincing. The problem is, unless you've been living under a rock for a past ten years Mass Effect 2 has absolutely nothing new to offer. Recycle a good chunk of plot elements from previous Bioware games, add GoW-style shooting, add a scoop of tedious and pretty much mandatory planet probing and there you have it. The RPG system had been significantly simplified this time around. You still can make choices in dialogues, being a hero or a jerk, whatever you feel like, but ultimately your choices do not affect the game in any significant way. ME2 is also surprisingly short, it took me 23 hours or so to beat it on veteran, while doing all of the side quests and acquiring pretty much all the upgrades. And that is not to mention it's horrible loading times. In short, ME2 is Avatar of video games. It's solid, looks good, and most people will probably enjoy the ride, but it lacks substance, new ideas, and is hardly worth playing through for a second time. Expand
  47. Feb 19, 2011
    Kill a few enemies, recruit a party member, mine for minerals, purchase upgrades. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. Prepare for final battle, engage enemy - GAME OVER!!! A good game but not a great one.
  48. Aug 15, 2011
    Despite the fact that nearly all of the RPG content was removed.. Mass Effect 2 still brought in one hell of a game. I seriously wish the main plot line was larger though, you'll easily spend most of this game completing sub quests and building your squad. However, all those dull sounding moments turn out to be truly spectacular.
  49. Jun 9, 2012
    To be simple, "Mass Effect 2" is a astounding game that fixes the problems "Mass Effect" had and even surpasses them with superiority. The gameplay is more of the same thing like "ME" but it's still awfully fun. Graphics and the player screen has drastically improved as well as the money system. Yes, in "ME2" weapons and armor aren't overpriced as they were in "ME". Overall a powerfulTo be simple, "Mass Effect 2" is a astounding game that fixes the problems "Mass Effect" had and even surpasses them with superiority. The gameplay is more of the same thing like "ME" but it's still awfully fun. Graphics and the player screen has drastically improved as well as the money system. Yes, in "ME2" weapons and armor aren't overpriced as they were in "ME". Overall a powerful space opera SF role playing game, a game you WILL play. Expand
  50. TheJoker
    Apr 8, 2010
    I played the ME1, and I consider ME2 to be a downgrade in some places. For example inventory is nearly non-existent, there are few weapons, even fewer armors (not counting dlc's). The dialogues are good I would there to say that they are even better than the last time. DLC's are very good. Overall its a good game, although a mark lower than the last one.
  51. IulianM.
    Jan 26, 2010
    Two words: "Bloody Numidium". If you're an RPG fan, you know what that means. Also, if you're an RPG fan, Mass Effect 2 won't be up your alley. The game went trough heavy redesign, it's now an RPG-istic interpretation of Gears of War, but I won't go as far as call it an RPG. It's still fun, loads of laughs if you've played Anachronox, Daggerfall(or Two words: "Bloody Numidium". If you're an RPG fan, you know what that means. Also, if you're an RPG fan, Mass Effect 2 won't be up your alley. The game went trough heavy redesign, it's now an RPG-istic interpretation of Gears of War, but I won't go as far as call it an RPG. It's still fun, loads of laughs if you've played Anachronox, Daggerfall(or Morrowind), and believe me, the humour, self parody and irony in the game makes it worth while. Expand
  52. Mar 13, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 really is a mixed bag. One the one hand, one can't help but be impressed with the quality of the audiovisual presentation. The voice actors are probably the best in the business and they are able to create an atmosphere unlike in any other games. Especially Jennifer Hale as the female Shepard deserves a lot of praise for her work. The modelers, animators and texture artistsMass Effect 2 really is a mixed bag. One the one hand, one can't help but be impressed with the quality of the audiovisual presentation. The voice actors are probably the best in the business and they are able to create an atmosphere unlike in any other games. Especially Jennifer Hale as the female Shepard deserves a lot of praise for her work. The modelers, animators and texture artists are incredibly talented as well and their work is impressive to behold. Most of the dialog is well written, which is pretty rare for a computer (or should I say video?) game.

But on the other hand, the actual game play is somewhat clumsy and even boring. Bioware (or perhaps EA?) essentially dropped almost all of the RPG elements and tried to go for a Gears of War type of game play. How ever, they couldn't pull it of. Gears of War is far more fluid and the game play in that game is high octane adrenaline rush. Where as ME2 game play is something from the previous decade. It's unresponsive , repetitive and dull. Duck and cover, point and click. The less said about the embarrassing mini games, the better.

Bioware prides itself in being able to tell great stories. And while the method of the story telling in ME2 is nice, the actually story is almost non existent. It feels more like a collection of side quests, rather than a really story.

In the end, one gets the feeling that Bioware is trying to reach out to new gamers. And in doing so, they have decided to ditch the traditional RPG elements. Whether this strategy works for them, I can't really say, but for my part, I will no longer associate the Bioware brand with high quality RPG's. Mass Effect 2 is really an interactive movie with a shoddy fps game. And because games are incredibly expensive, spending money on a mediocrity is simply not worth it. Spend your money on good books or movies instead.
  53. Nov 17, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a continuation of the military sci-fi Mass Effect saga developed by the now-legendary Bioware. Mass Effect 2 does a masterful job of recreating and improving on the sci-fi atmosphere and themes of the original, and brings with it further development of one of the best storylines of the decade. The gameplay, graphics, and soundtrack are all improved.

The soundtrack, while

The soundtrack, while it has lost much of the familiar 80's vibes associated with the original game, is nonetheless phenomenal, and will not disappoint. I liked the new soundtrack so much I ended up buying it as well.

Perhaps the greatest improvement in Mass Effect 2 was how quickly the game got moving. In the original Mass Effect, masterpiece though it was, I often felt like I was beginning the undertaking of reading a nice book. Despite being a terrific experience on the whole, it had a slow start, and didn't become particularly interesting until after you had played for a couple hours to allow the story to develop more and get through the earlier "groundwork stages" of the game.

In contrast, Mass Effect 2 has vastly improved in this area, and took my breath away almost as soon as I started playing. The improvements in the combat system, character cast, and riveting story kept me coming back for more and more! This was also likely due to the fact that the sequel builds on the groundwork put in place by the original game of the series. Overall, Mass Effect 2 is essentially flawless. All the familiar elements of the perfect game are here. The thought-provoking story is there. The graphics are good, and complement the setting and themes of the game nicely. The gameplay has improved, both in terms of dialog options, and in terms of pure combat-enjoyment. Don't miss out on the number one military sci-fi epic of our decade!
  54. Jan 26, 2012
    Simply awesome, at first its "good" but as you start playing it, it gets a lot better. Depending of what you say or do in the game, affects the story in some way. They are only a few problems like crashing and audio glitching out, but they appear rarely so it doesn't ruin the experience. I highly recommend this.
  55. Feb 13, 2012
    Overall, I like mass effect 1's more rpg like focus to it's mechanics and stats than mass effect 2's more functional and bare streamlining. However, while this game is a better rpg - it also has more lows in it's pacing. Some sections in mass effect are incredible and interesting, others are slow moving. I think mass effect 2 should have never removed the planet exploration. In the end. IOverall, I like mass effect 1's more rpg like focus to it's mechanics and stats than mass effect 2's more functional and bare streamlining. However, while this game is a better rpg - it also has more lows in it's pacing. Some sections in mass effect are incredible and interesting, others are slow moving. I think mass effect 2 should have never removed the planet exploration. In the end. I score both games the same. 9/10. For different reasons, mass effect 2 is a perfectly paced game, that was successfully streamlined. However lost some of it's scale as a result. Mass effect 1 was more ambitious, however it was occasionally boring. Expand
  56. May 30, 2011
    ME2 PC

Mass Effect trims many of the RPG elements of the first game resulting in a mostly third person shooter experience. One of my biggest gripes about the first Mass Effect was combat â
  57. Dec 16, 2011
    highly polished in every aspect and far superior to its predecessor, mass effect 2 is perhaps my favorite game of all time, with intense action, beautiful graphics and art design, large amount of replay value and memorable story/characters
  58. Dec 1, 2011
    Great game, extremely immersive and addictive. The gameplay is really fun, and character customization is just about right. My only gripe is the game kind of forces you to go either full paragon or full renegade, as going half/half will hurt your character's ability to resolve in-game disputes both in quests and amongst your crew. This essentially removes a lot of choice the player hasGreat game, extremely immersive and addictive. The gameplay is really fun, and character customization is just about right. My only gripe is the game kind of forces you to go either full paragon or full renegade, as going half/half will hurt your character's ability to resolve in-game disputes both in quests and amongst your crew. This essentially removes a lot of choice the player has over how his character reacts to different situations in game and takes a way a huge part of what makes a roleplaying game fun. Other than that one issue though I thoroughly enjoyed this game and look forward to playing number 3! Expand
  59. Jan 21, 2012
    The games pretty fun, I love the storyline and is one of the best roleplaying games that wasn't made by Bethesda. I found the game not as fun as the first one, but it still doesn't affect my score. It is a fun game until you have to acquire minerals which is pretty boring. I loved how they included Genesis so I could transfer my player from the first game. Overall, I loved the game and IThe games pretty fun, I love the storyline and is one of the best roleplaying games that wasn't made by Bethesda. I found the game not as fun as the first one, but it still doesn't affect my score. It is a fun game until you have to acquire minerals which is pretty boring. I loved how they included Genesis so I could transfer my player from the first game. Overall, I loved the game and I can't wait until the 3rd comes out. Expand
  60. May 22, 2012
    I really love this game. It seems that people who think ME 1 was better are suffering from nostalgia, because I played both in order within a week of eachother, and ME II is by far superior. P.S, I'm a Talimancer. Tali FTW!
  61. ChrisB.
    Jan 27, 2010
    This game is simply stunning, heart pounding epic game. I cant put it down and i have finals. EVerything from combat to atmosphere is perfect. Only thing they could have improved on is more armor and weapons otherwise... its insanely good
  62. GuanEro
    Jan 28, 2010
    This game is not perfect, yet I'm rating it a 9 because I'm comparing it to other Single player RPGS out there. A 9.4 in my personal Opinion. I'll make a short description about separated assets I could think of an rate them each individually. Graphics - 9: The game contains Superb graphics ME1 had problems with some textures and details. It has been fixed and optimized This game is not perfect, yet I'm rating it a 9 because I'm comparing it to other Single player RPGS out there. A 9.4 in my personal Opinion. I'll make a short description about separated assets I could think of an rate them each individually. Graphics - 9: The game contains Superb graphics ME1 had problems with some textures and details. It has been fixed and optimized here, everything is eye candy in ME2. Sound - 10: Original sounds and superb quality give a merging gameplay experience. Music - 10: Music is amazing, creative, modern, original, it is well placed according to the enviroment, it's a major success. Cinematics - 10 and dialogs -8 : Cinematics are top quality, but when it comes to dialog it can be predictive and repetitive at times, when two people speak at the same time the second dialog overcomes the first, this happens when moving, mostly. Story - 9: Yes the story is the typical "save the galaxy" story, they tried to make it darker but they fail at times, they did add some harder desitions to take. What's good about the storyline is yes, that you play it, and how it starts developing while you're playing, depending on your choices and achievements. Characters - 8: There are some intriguing characters, but there are also unoriginal ones, I don't want to spoil any details here, characters are just not for all the tastes, but there are ways to go over the characters you don't like, one wishes that with all the split personalities they'd at least fight differently in combat but a biotic is a biotic and a soldier is a soldier. Gameplay - 7: We come to the downside of the game, gameplay is repetitive and boring, but very much improved from the first ME, shooting body parts count, you make more damage if you shoot to the head or slow down enemies when you shoot their legs, you also use a magazine system instead of the overheating one in ME1, effects are better and weapon - armour management is slightly different. The bad thing is action remains the same in poorly designed FIGHTING environments. This said Mass Effect 2 is a superb game I'd definitely advice you to get if you have the oportunity, and if you like cinematic experiences, the gameplay is a bit sloppy, but the feeling of progressing through a story and being part of it makes it up for it, at least if you love RPGs. It's an adventure. Expand
  63. JustinW.
    Jan 28, 2010
    If you liked the first Mass Effect then... well I don't h ave to tell you anything, bc you've already purchased this game. If you've never played the original and you want to know if you can pick up ME2 and still enjoy it; I will say yes you will. Sure there is a lot of back story and you are definitely picking up in the middle of a trilogy, but I think they adequately If you liked the first Mass Effect then... well I don't h ave to tell you anything, bc you've already purchased this game. If you've never played the original and you want to know if you can pick up ME2 and still enjoy it; I will say yes you will. Sure there is a lot of back story and you are definitely picking up in the middle of a trilogy, but I think they adequately explain key elements if you just take the time to ask during dialog. My only grief is the new planet scanning mini game. For upgrades to your equipment you have to gain materials. Those materials are acquired through a tedious process of running your mouse over entire planets and launching a limited number of probes at spots that have high concentrations of materials. This is a slow, tedious, and has you running across the galaxy constantly for more probes. But that is only a minor gripe. Get this game or you will regret it! Expand
  64. ScottE.
    Jan 29, 2010
    Amazing game but the game is very short i beat all content in about 19 hours was very disappointed in the length but besides that i enjoyed it a lot.
  65. HowieG
    Jan 29, 2010
    Not bad at all. Unfortunately there are many things missing in Mass Effect 2 that were already present in Mass Effect 1 that I find myself wishing for. Especially in the fight sequences. ME2 has a clunky feel kinda like trying to play a FPS console game. The story is great and most of the voice acting is top notch though so at the end of the day I felt like I had read a great book. If you Not bad at all. Unfortunately there are many things missing in Mass Effect 2 that were already present in Mass Effect 1 that I find myself wishing for. Especially in the fight sequences. ME2 has a clunky feel kinda like trying to play a FPS console game. The story is great and most of the voice acting is top notch though so at the end of the day I felt like I had read a great book. If you can look past the wanna-be console style action you'll find it's a good game with a great story that is presented very well. I really liked it. Expand
  66. DanielH.
    Jan 31, 2010
    This game is overall very good, it has an intriguing storyline, a wonderful atmosphere and deep, interesting characters. I found that many of the loyalty mission had an emotional connection, especially Tali'Zorah's, and for players to feel an emotional bond, a deep relationship to a game character is an achievement not easily earned by the game developers. The only thing I found This game is overall very good, it has an intriguing storyline, a wonderful atmosphere and deep, interesting characters. I found that many of the loyalty mission had an emotional connection, especially Tali'Zorah's, and for players to feel an emotional bond, a deep relationship to a game character is an achievement not easily earned by the game developers. The only thing I found a bit disappointing was the few choices for same-sex romances. I personally had wanted for a long time to pursue a romance with Tali with my female Shepard, but I found myself required to start over with a male Shepard in order to make that happen. Expand
  67. StefanS
    Feb 11, 2010
    In spite of having a fun time with this game, i do regret spending money on it. I was expecting a new epic RPG, but it wouldn't provide. This may be great fun for casual gamers, but it lacks depth and complexity in story as well as gameplay mechanics to be more. The main storyline is linear, the only choice you get is when you want to continue. Sidequests are 1 mission each. Missions In spite of having a fun time with this game, i do regret spending money on it. I was expecting a new epic RPG, but it wouldn't provide. This may be great fun for casual gamers, but it lacks depth and complexity in story as well as gameplay mechanics to be more. The main storyline is linear, the only choice you get is when you want to continue. Sidequests are 1 mission each. Missions fall in 2 categories: linear level combat mission and easy puzzles. You cant get lost, and you generally cant lose with a little care applied. Combat is simple and repetitive to the point of feeling like work. There is a little variety, providing 3 types of enemies: ranged and melee standard units and tanks. Take cover by pressing a button, wait for breaks in enemy fire, shoot the enemy with your ranged weapons or magic powers. You dont get to melee (you'd have to leave cover) and if you did there still only was a button-press to swing a fist. Weapon types are useless beyond assault and sniper rifle; there is a shotgun, but its near-useless in even the expected area of use against melee guys that got too close. Just mow 'em down with your assault rifle, it will be faster. The required understanding of game mechanics is minimal; shooting works on everything. A slight bonus is provided for selecting one of 2 basic ammo types, one that burns armor and live-enemies, another to fight machines. The above mentioned tank-types are fought with heavy weapons like grenades/missiles (although shooting still works). There are magic powers that help fight the enemy, falling in the above mentioned categories. These have a long cooldown however, and power-only combat wont work, so it feels awkward to use one every few seconds if you could just keep shooting for the same effect at less work. For lack of real sidequests, you get to find teammates by doing a combat mission, and then to gain the team mates loyality by protecting or killing one of their direct relatives (for lack of work put into depth?) in another combat mission. Doing this unlocks a special ability for the team mate to use. Your main character also gets to learn and use one of the teammates unlocked Loyalty-Abilities. Time spent to unlock almost everything and doing lots of boring ressource harvesting and a few mini-missions on top: 23 hours. When the main campaign moved on after 2 or 3 character additions, getting the others felt like work (and not-getting them and their loyality felt uncomplete). Overall game could probably be completed in 15 or less hours. Rating: 6. Thought of giving it a 7, then recalled i accidently killed half my crew without real warning by re-clicking on the start-mission button of a 1 minute anomaly side-mission after my crew got kidnapped by the main storyline (which is triggered when you accept a mission, but you dont get to DO the mission then, in spite of already leaving the ship!). After re-running 3 hours of gameplay, as the game had deliberately overwritten every auto-save before the side-mission, i then discovered that the cute secretary-like Kelly i had romanced wouldn't even unlock the romance achievement. Expand
  68. KenN.
    Feb 19, 2010
    The game's graphic and interface are definitely up-a-notch from the prequel. A lot of game play mechanics work well. The introduction of thermal clips was good. It forces the player to use multiple weapons and conserve ammo. So it's not as easy as the last game. The hacking mini-games are fun to do and easy to comprehend. The scanning is kinda forcing the game to a low pace: a The game's graphic and interface are definitely up-a-notch from the prequel. A lot of game play mechanics work well. The introduction of thermal clips was good. It forces the player to use multiple weapons and conserve ammo. So it's not as easy as the last game. The hacking mini-games are fun to do and easy to comprehend. The scanning is kinda forcing the game to a low pace: a down side. The physical change b/w paragon and renegade is shown. The plot is terrific, lots of quest and sidequests if you look for it. Quite a lot of bugs and glitches, I encounter a bug when I went to cover and was stuck on top of the wall. Had to restart, lame. Then there are bunch of glitches that occasionally appear, but not too often. Wish we could skip cutscenes that we already watched so we can start another game easier. New Game+ is fun. All in all, a good game besides some glitches and slow pace moments. Can't w8 for ME3 :) Expand
  69. Jan 4, 2011
    The Good: The difference between a plot and a story is that the plot is what happens, and the story is what the book/movie/video game is about. The plot of ME2 is incredibly awesome. It's epic, fast-paced, and quite original. The story, not so much, but I'll get to that later. The voice acting overall is quite good. The gameplay mechanics are solid and responsive. The bots areThe Good: The difference between a plot and a story is that the plot is what happens, and the story is what the book/movie/video game is about. The plot of ME2 is incredibly awesome. It's epic, fast-paced, and quite original. The story, not so much, but I'll get to that later. The voice acting overall is quite good. The gameplay mechanics are solid and responsive. The bots are average, though I have yet to see good video game AI in any game. The side quests are immersive and entertaining. The characters are relatable and your relationships with them are believable. You don't have to micromanage your squad's weapons, armor, and mods anymore (thank God) and this makes the game much more streamlined, even if it's more of an FPS as a result.

The Bad: The story seems too short and it's like Bioware stuck in the loyalty missions just to add length to the game. That's not to say that these missions aren't rewarding or entertaining; in fact they're better than some of the plot missions. The final battle is disappointingly easy when compared to the final battle in ME1 and it was actually harder to get to the room where it takes place than to actually win the fight. I also did not like how they took out the driving portions of the game. Now, I know most people hated driving that car in ME1, but I liked it, and it was certainly better than just scanning the planet for the resources you need.

The Ugly: (DISCLAIMER: Some of these issues may have been due to the fact that my computer is slightly underpowered and not due to the actual game.) Blinking still looks freakin weird with eyelids and eye lashes overlapping and showing through each other and just being a bit disturbing. Occasionally, if I was walking too close to a wall that had kind of a slope, I'd get stuck on it and wouldn't be able to move. Facial expressions look odd and slightly robotic, but the voice acting makes up for it so I'm good. Sometimes during a cut scene the camera would go inside Shepard or some other character and obstruct my view until the camera moved a little. Very rarely (like once or twice) the game would lock up for 30 to 45 seconds inside the Normandy, but then it kept moving and everything was fine.

Overall, I absolutely loved this game. It has definitely moved to the Number 1 spot on my list of Best Games Ever, beating out Twilight Princess. Buy it. NOW.
  70. May 23, 2011
    If you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fallIf you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fall through the ship into a pitch black chasm. This is not often, but it happens and it's actually pretty hilarious. When it does happen you can just reload the checkpoint (which is updated often) and go on your merry way. The other problem with the PC version is the Liara mission which was pretty bad. If you don't do Liara's mission immediately after she asks you to do it and you run off to do something else then when you come back there will be a bug where you hack all the terminals but can't proceed in her mission. This ruined one playthrough for me so as long you know to do Liara's mission right away you should be fine. If you can deal with this bugs and you have a good system prepare to be rewarded with the benefits of the PC version. The graphics are far superior to the console versions, with beautiful, high resolution textures and anti-aliasing. Playing it on my 23" 1080p monitor and 5.1 speaker system was a blast. Surprisingly the cutscenes were not rendered in 1080p but in 720p, so the in-game cutscenes looks far better than the pre-rendered cutscenes, ironically. Playing with a mouse and keyboard are also fantastic, but beware that the default keyboard configuration is strange, to say the least. You can quickly customize this to your liking and it will feel much better than playing with a controller, especially since you can now quicksave. Bioware did not map the interactive dialogue to the number keys though, so you're stuck using a mouse to awkwardly choose your dialogue option in a wheel. Overall the problems with the PC version are minimal but if you have the rig to run it, it is definitely worth it. Expand
  71. Nov 26, 2010
    I found this game more enjoyable than the first one which surpises me. I felt that the story was weaker in mass effect 2, and that some of the parts of the game didnt realy add up. But the gameplay was nearly perfect and so was the acting and the design of the game. Dissapointed in the lack of weapons and armor but it is much more simple than spamming through countless amounts of uselessI found this game more enjoyable than the first one which surpises me. I felt that the story was weaker in mass effect 2, and that some of the parts of the game didnt realy add up. But the gameplay was nearly perfect and so was the acting and the design of the game. Dissapointed in the lack of weapons and armor but it is much more simple than spamming through countless amounts of useless stuff in the first game. I realy thought that they over done theirselves with most of the characters, and thought that my actions from the first game affecting many noticeable things in this game was realy cool. I know that mass effect 2 is bassicaly the final editing for the trilogy and the final game. The planetary exploration is just as boring infact almost more pointless than the first one. But your actions realy do matter making the anticipation for the final game the most exciting thing i have actualy felt for a game, seeing that the sequals actually do matter. Unlike all other games. Expand
  72. Feb 4, 2011
    Bioware.. is there a better RPG developer? If so, Mass Effect 2 extinguishes any doubt. A stunningly beautiful game with spectacular scenery and amazing visuals, this game will not disappoint when it comes to eye candy. A step up from the traditional RPG style of Bioware, the games combat allows real time combat and decent shooter action, with the well known Bioware stragetical pausingBioware.. is there a better RPG developer? If so, Mass Effect 2 extinguishes any doubt. A stunningly beautiful game with spectacular scenery and amazing visuals, this game will not disappoint when it comes to eye candy. A step up from the traditional RPG style of Bioware, the games combat allows real time combat and decent shooter action, with the well known Bioware stragetical pausing weve grown accustomed to all mixed together. The games real strengths come from the plot, which allows the player to choose various conversation choices aswell as plot paths which can make dramatic consequences to the way the player experiences and inevitably ends the game. If you are a veteran of RPGs or wanting to dip your toe in and test the water, Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game to experience. The worst thing about this game is the time waiting for Mass Effect 3 to be released. 10/10. Expand
  73. Jun 26, 2011
    Good game, But a weaker story, and the fact they cut out most of the roleplaying elements, makes it a weaker game than the first, witch is a shame, because what it does well it does really well. good action sequences, I thought the characters, were a lot more interesting this time, we got to see more of the galaxy, places like illium and the Krogan homeworld were interesting places. SoGood game, But a weaker story, and the fact they cut out most of the roleplaying elements, makes it a weaker game than the first, witch is a shame, because what it does well it does really well. good action sequences, I thought the characters, were a lot more interesting this time, we got to see more of the galaxy, places like illium and the Krogan homeworld were interesting places. So Bioware if you wanna make the third Mass effect a smash hit classic, you take a strong story and the roleplaying elements of the first game, and mix it with the action, and more interesting setting of the second. Expand
  74. May 20, 2011
    Great storyline, fun gameplay. Felt a bit like playing through a movie, was quite enjoyable. Not quite as long as I'd hoped for, but that's the only complaint I have. It's one of the few recent RPGs I didn't get bored of before I finished it, which is mainly due to the enjoyable storyline.
  75. May 18, 2011
    A satisfying game that lives up to the first game in just about every sense. The game allows you to be the galaxy's most-feared renegade or its most-loved paragon. The only downside is the removal of some RPG elements that made the first game quite enjoyable.
  76. May 11, 2013
    What can i say about this game? It is still the best game I ever played. The combat mechanics are much improved from Mass Effect 1 and feels much more fluid.The story is is great, it keept me intrested the whole time. All characters are intresting each in their own way(especially Mordin & Legion). The game is full of decisions wich have consequences that ripple thru the story and alsoWhat can i say about this game? It is still the best game I ever played. The combat mechanics are much improved from Mass Effect 1 and feels much more fluid.The story is is great, it keept me intrested the whole time. All characters are intresting each in their own way(especially Mordin & Legion). The game is full of decisions wich have consequences that ripple thru the story and also effects in Mass Effect 3. Only gripes i have with the game is that the planet scanning minigame becomes a bit tedious. It takes too long to scan the planets and get the ressources you need. Also the rpg elements have been reduced quite significantly and there is not enough of Liara T'Soni! So are you gonna be the Paragon Shepard who is nice to everyone or are you gonna be Renegade Shepard who punches people in the face? The choice is yours! I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite game on the citadel! Expand
  77. May 27, 2011
    Would give this game a 10 had it not been for the simplification of the RP aspect that made ME1 exceptional. In removing the bugs, awful loading times, and terrible mechanics and travel, ME2 also removed inventory, customization, and a crucial story-arc that is truly dimensional. That being said, Mass Effect 2 is still one of the top video games that have ever been created, right up thereWould give this game a 10 had it not been for the simplification of the RP aspect that made ME1 exceptional. In removing the bugs, awful loading times, and terrible mechanics and travel, ME2 also removed inventory, customization, and a crucial story-arc that is truly dimensional. That being said, Mass Effect 2 is still one of the top video games that have ever been created, right up there with anything you throw at it. From its dazzling cut-scenes to its exceptional game-play, Mass Effect 2 MORE than made up for its flaws, and obliterated Mass Effect 1 in terms of overall quality in comparison. The story was compelling and at times even emotional. A true indication that a video game can be art. This was more than a game, and you would shoot yourself in the foot if you never gave this game a chance. Expand
  78. Jul 17, 2011
    The surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically andThe surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically and with personality, the decision making is not only ambitious but is pulled off very well, brilliantly and originally designed environments, creatures, costume and armour, and technically performs well at least on my PC with game play that feels satisfyingly good. The characters are good and memorable, I actually felt dread when some of them die, if you dont fall in love with Garrus, Tali, Legion, and Thane by the end of ME2 you have problems, I even grew attached to the space ship. I also want to make a big shout out to the legendary soundtrack, everyone must download the track Suicide Mission from Itunes now, its freaken awesome. The lack of depth in the RPG at first seems like a good thing as the shooting mechanics are good but after playing the game for over 60 hours it starts to show is thin side and has you missing some of the lacking RPG of the first game. I also dont think the decisions a player can make are perfect, who in their right mine didnt save the alien counsel in ME1? Who didnt save Wrex? But overall ME2 is a remarkable achievement and a new benchmark for modern single player games! Expand
  79. Mar 15, 2012
    This game was actually very good. I am personally not into Sci-Fi RPGs, but this game really got me involved. The story and especially the ending were fantastic. Though there a few bugs such at getting stuck on top of objects requiring you to load your last save and lose your current progress was annoying. Another was the character face creator seemed to be lacking, specially for theThis game was actually very good. I am personally not into Sci-Fi RPGs, but this game really got me involved. The story and especially the ending were fantastic. Though there a few bugs such at getting stuck on top of objects requiring you to load your last save and lose your current progress was annoying. Another was the character face creator seemed to be lacking, specially for the female character. However, the games ending really soaks up all the problems into a fantastic 'you are the hero' feeling in the most interactive cinematic experience i have ever had at my fingertips. Expand
  80. Oct 21, 2013
    My favorite game of all times. This is an RPG that takes place in an amazing wold with tons of lore and backstory for the one who's interested. The story and the characters are amazing and the soundtrack is mind blowing.
  81. Oct 25, 2011
    I can´t help my self, but I just love this game. I played it dozen times on the highest dificulty doing all side missions and tried many choices. The story was great - a little worse than mass effect 1 but still great. When I played this game for the first time, I was quite shocked, where did all those rpg elements from mass effect 1 went, but after some time I got used to itI can´t help my self, but I just love this game. I played it dozen times on the highest dificulty doing all side missions and tried many choices. The story was great - a little worse than mass effect 1 but still great. When I played this game for the first time, I was quite shocked, where did all those rpg elements from mass effect 1 went, but after some time I got used to it and found it to be not that bad. The big plus for ME2 is a lot better graphic, much better combat (covering system, heavy weapons, ammunition...)a lot better level design, great side missions and the back stories of every team members. The voice acting is superb again, the cutscenes are awesome and videos as well. So of course this game is not perfect but it is not far from it. I would like to see more abilities in mass effect 3. Expand
  82. Oct 26, 2011
    Big improvement over ME1, streamlined nicely but still RPG enough for most. Incredible characters, graphics+art design=Top-notch. Classes now more interesting, all powers a blast to use. EPIC cannot describe it.
  83. Mar 28, 2013
    I've just finished it for the second time, after restarting my character, making a new different shepard. the second time was even better than the first one, it took me long hours, I think between 20-30 to finish it, with lots of side quests.
    This game is amazing for how it makes you get sucked into the characters, the plot, the reactions, the environment, you actually feel they are alive, they exist somewhere else, that's the amazing sense you get along the game, and after you finish it.

I always recommend starting with the first Mass effect, which is a bit uncomfortable by game-play meanings, but is also amazing, by plot and characters.
    Even though some elements were removed like, inventory etc... it won't affect the game in general, hell I didn't even notice that it didn't have those options, until the end. and I didn't care.

This game gives you the spice and makes you want another one, like this isn't finished yet, and bioware already provided ME3. what else can you ask for?
  84. Apr 9, 2012
    Great game albet inventory and mods dummed down from the original, not the butchery that DA2 is, totally abandoning the standard of the original game.
  85. Dec 22, 2011
    i am going to **** about how they ruined this franchise for people that knew enough to know why they liked it. being lazy/removing the rpg elements the devs altered this series drastically (skill tree has been neutered, equipment is vanilla or chocolate, etc.) rendering it another pseudo-immersing over-the-shoulder-kill-things-game that despite being presented as an open world, is really ai am going to **** about how they ruined this franchise for people that knew enough to know why they liked it. being lazy/removing the rpg elements the devs altered this series drastically (skill tree has been neutered, equipment is vanilla or chocolate, etc.) rendering it another pseudo-immersing over-the-shoulder-kill-things-game that despite being presented as an open world, is really a straight line you can jump to different points on.

they would be better served by just culling what few RPG elements they left in it and going FPS. it gets a 6 because its pretty, and the fights are sometimes interesting.
  86. Mar 13, 2012
    This is one of if not the best game I have ever played. Loved the first Mass Effect but this is one has everything going for it imo, story, action, choices etc etc.
  87. Jan 28, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic game! Story, setting, mood, action, companions and looks are all 10/10, but unfortunately I hated the scanning planets for various materials - terrible idea! Therefore it is 9/10 instead.

Can´t wait for ME3 to come out and enthrall me again for hours and hours!
  88. Feb 27, 2012
    Just love it (ME1 too).
    Definitely one of the biggest games ever.
    Beatyful storyline, characters, sci-fi setup, deep and detailed world, nice graphics.
  89. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 took everything that was great about Mass Effect, and made it better. Most of the annoying aspects of the first game were removed, and I really only have one complaint about the second one (the planet mining -- ugh). What really stood out for me was how well the sequel built upon the decisions that you made in the original. What BioWare has done here is something truly special.
  90. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is simply Bioware's best RPG to date and is the closest I've played to gaming perfection. Mass Effect 3 will have to do wonders in order to knock its predecessor off its perch.
  91. Mar 27, 2012
    I LOVE THIS GAME. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. sorry, i know this is not how you start a review but i've never played a game that got me so engaged i actually cried for joy at some points. love the 'angel' & 'devil' choices as well!
  92. Mar 28, 2012
    I personally love it. I started the game with crying as is see what´s happend with my Normandy. So its the perfect continues story and the gameplay is bether than before. but you have to patch it because ther were many buggs.
  93. Apr 23, 2012
    Amazing,beatiful,compelling story from the master Drew Karpyshyn a genius writer that give us one of the greatest scifi histories ever,if you love RPG,action and a good story fulll of amazing characters mass effect 2 is for you
  94. May 21, 2012
    ME2 is a brilliant game. The graphic, the atmosphere and the characters catch you deep in a story about all or nothing. Sometimes the storytelling is a bit slow, but this is just my opinion. I love this game and play it many times - One of the games I would tell 'Game of the Year'.
  95. Jul 21, 2012
    This game's suicide mission is one of the best game sequences which combine gameplay, action and atmosphere (The music/soundtrack!!) that I've ever encountered. Overall, this game is truly epic and worth it's 10 out of 10, I still play it regularly. Unfortunately, there are a few too many characters in this game, making squad selection less strategic than in Mass Effect 1. But still, eachThis game's suicide mission is one of the best game sequences which combine gameplay, action and atmosphere (The music/soundtrack!!) that I've ever encountered. Overall, this game is truly epic and worth it's 10 out of 10, I still play it regularly. Unfortunately, there are a few too many characters in this game, making squad selection less strategic than in Mass Effect 1. But still, each character's individual personality and their loyalty missions more than make up for that. Expand
  96. Sep 2, 2012
    One of my all-time favorite PC Games ever. This is truly an epic video game with a wonderful story and beautiful graphics. There really aren't many games I enjoy replaying like this one. I have played through the game 3 times and each play through was literally as fun as the last. It really makes me sad because this is the one game I kind of wish would go on forever.
  97. Nov 24, 2012
    this game is awesome... just the launch trailer gives me chills and the game itself makes me cry... seriously... im really looking forward to see Mass Effect 3 someday...
  98. Dec 24, 2012
    What I expected: More from what I got in the first game. What I got: A dumbed down, consolized game with bad game mechanics and a terrible UI. Good things first. The presentation (graphics, animations, voice over) works great, pretty much like in the first game, and the story is nice. Unfortunately, that's where the good things end. The decision that guns now require ammo is something IWhat I expected: More from what I got in the first game. What I got: A dumbed down, consolized game with bad game mechanics and a terrible UI. Good things first. The presentation (graphics, animations, voice over) works great, pretty much like in the first game, and the story is nice. Unfortunately, that's where the good things end. The decision that guns now require ammo is something I can accept and would even prefer. But why does my boss spend billions on a star ship with an advanced armory, yet doesn't have enough cash to buy me some ammo? That way, I have to rely on the ammo I find from dead enemies, which don't always drop the ammo I need. Great, but that's one of the minor flaws of this game: Before I started playing, I had to fix several bugs with the mouse speed and colorization of the game. Many players are complaining about this on forums, but Bioware never bothered to patch these things themselves. Then, I can hardly enjoy anything in this game, because the user interface is so *** **** bad. You can't double click in menus, always need to "click item", then "click ok button". It's not even possible to confirm with ENTER, you have to click the button. Every time. Same goes for the star map. On top of that, there are no shortcut keys to get to the important menus, you have to hit ESC and then click the menu you want to bring up. You can navigate there with the arrow keys, but for some reason unknown to anyone in this galaxy, the controls are reversed. Left goes right, down goes up. Doing simple things takes forever, because the interface is just such a damn mess. Also, every time you pick something up, a message about the item will pop up and fill about half of your screen. They got most of this right in the first game, then changed it to this to "improve" the game for gaming consoles and didn't bother to change it for the PC version - but not only is it bad for PC players, it's also an insult to console gamers. They must really think you're stupid when they dumb down a game like that. Then again, maybe many console gamers are. Expand
  99. Sep 6, 2013
    Goods:
    - it is beautiful! (I played in 1920x1080)
    - the story is breathtaking! - the characters are very unique, they have their own personality! (I like Mordin, when he is jabbering, but in an intelligent way) - you cannot stop playing! - camera movement is very 'movie like', sometimes slowly turns around the character when in conversation, i like it. - I love the world on the
    Goods:
    - it is beautiful! (I played in 1920x1080)
    - the story is breathtaking!
    - you cannot stop playing!
    - I love the world on the planets where you can land (you can dance, you can help almost anyone to feel better, buying a fish to eat, help someone out with money etc.), so You can solve problems if You want.

Bads only in game menu:
    - i think bioware should not be proud about the game menu solution:
    - using the missions list tree structure is frustrating, you can not use it with keyboard (cursor moving buttons work, but then enter, space, nothing responses), with mouse sucks, you have to click, select, click, select with mouse, then click on the okay button on the very bottom... Frustrating, slow.
    - you have to navigate to the buttons with mouse, keyboard is not allowed. Boring, frustrating, slow.
    - It is not always the same function when you hit escape on keyboard, or hit the back button on the screen (example: when you scanning the planets, you hit escape, you will be behind Shepard on the spaceship, not the galaxy view, to scan new planets. You have to click on the back button on screen with mouse!)
    - when you are scanning planets, you have to turn to scan the whole planet, while you have to hold down right mouse button. Boring, uncomfortable.
    - they should learn a bit from firaxis xcom enemy unknown, about using the right mouse button to go back one level up in menu, or screen page (or using the 3rd, 4th mouse buttons for circle the units or for scrolling pages)
    - why i can not use enter when i select a button, or just double click on it with mouse to go inside? I have to go down to the next button with mouse. Frustrating, slow.
    - why i can not use w,a,s,d buttons to navigate in menus, then hit enter, or e, or space or something common button?
    - I hate origin login, it slows down starting the game

Comparison: Mass Effect 1 Mass Effect 2
    - now the mission areas very unique, not the same like in the first episode (the same ships inside, the same mines inside)
    - you can control your followers individually, not in a team (therefore the controls were redefined, i hated it for one hour only), your followers AI a bit better
    - Bioware is modified the planets scanning mechanism: mako is no more, you have to launch probes to get your resources as palladium etc., It is still boring, but better than the long traveling with mako.
    - You do not need to convert things to omnigel, to make those mini games for unlocking a computer or door.
    - You will see two types of mini games (select the right code lines, or connect the right circuits to each other), I like more mass effect 1 mini game (going with an arrow inside the circle)
    - The conversations are very fluent now, the heads movement are not lagging like the first episode
    - The in game menu is still a you can only use mouse, keyboard is only for hit escape

Conclusion:
    This is a must have game!
  100. Jun 24, 2013
    i haven't played a game as perfect as mass effect 2 this game is awesome in every aspect all the defaults that were in the first mass effect are not only fixed in this game but improved in a great way i think i will never play a game that will make me attached to the characters in this game i felt like the characters were my friends and i had to care for them i also loved the romancei haven't played a game as perfect as mass effect 2 this game is awesome in every aspect all the defaults that were in the first mass effect are not only fixed in this game but improved in a great way i think i will never play a game that will make me attached to the characters in this game i felt like the characters were my friends and i had to care for them i also loved the romance part in this game it was great (romanced Tali by the way) and if u want to talk about a great mission let's talk about the last mission the best mission i have ever played in a game so far i highly recommend this game and i really can't wait to play the third part Expand

Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.