8.7

1. Jul 2, 2011
    First, ME2 has brilliant production values. The art design is amazing and the presentation is stellar, like most BioWare games. But strip away all that, and you have a very lacking game, sadly. Missions are greatly stripped down compared to ME1, and even character interaction is "streamlined" for the sake of "accessibility". Actual driving was replaced with a load screen...physically finding minerals was replaced with the infamous mini-game...weapon customization was removed...how is this progress? But the biggest crime is the story...it's totally contrived. Nobody can explain why the bad guys did what they did...the end boss made no sense and was never explained. Where's Saren when you need him... So sorry to say but ME2 has suffered the BioWare effect where they take a great game and make the sequel vastly inferior in order to misguidedly appeal to the "masses". Well this "masses" effect is NOT making things better. ME2 is still a great game...just fatally flawed and is more of a tragicomedy than its developers realize. I score it a 3 compared to ME1, 8 or 9 compared to most games, and a 7 overall. Expand
  2. Jul 17, 2011
    The surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically and with personality, the decision making is not only ambitious but is pulled off very well, brilliantly and originally designed environments, creatures, costume and armour, and technically performs well at least on my PC with game play that feels satisfyingly good. The characters are good and memorable, I actually felt dread when some of them die, if you dont fall in love with Garrus, Tali, Legion, and Thane by the end of ME2 you have problems, I even grew attached to the space ship. I also want to make a big shout out to the legendary soundtrack, everyone must download the track Suicide Mission from Itunes now, its freaken awesome. The lack of depth in the RPG at first seems like a good thing as the shooting mechanics are good but after playing the game for over 60 hours it starts to show is thin side and has you missing some of the lacking RPG of the first game. I also dont think the decisions a player can make are perfect, who in their right mine didnt save the alien counsel in ME1? Who didnt save Wrex? But overall ME2 is a remarkable achievement and a new benchmark for modern single player games! Expand
  3. Aug 14, 2011
    The game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being how you want to act and react as well as allow one to customize ones character very well, excellent story with believable, varied characters and world that keeps ones interest, excellent sound, music and especially voice acting.Neutral points that can be improved upon: the hacking and bypassing mini-games are fine but they are too simple and become tedious relatively fast, scanning planets for resources is okay at first but becomes boring quite quickly Cons: Short main story, feels repetitive at times, although the game allows one to customize ones character very well there are not many different weapons or armour available, the game does a good job of creating an illusion that it is a big game but in actual fact it is not. There are only four landable locations, the rest of the locations one only goes there once for a mission. Overall a excellent game that i enjoyed very much although there are a few things that can make it even better.Mass effect 3 just needs to build on the rpg elements and have a bit more variety as well as be a bigger game to surpass it's predecessor, lets hope it does .9/10 Expand
  4. Aug 14, 2011
    Best game I have ever played in my life.
    The soundtrack, voice acting, gameplay. exploring and an open world game. Clocked this game 3 times and I intend to play more of it!

5. Aug 29, 2011
    Easily in my all time top 3. People are so afraid to be interested in a game that is not labeled rpg if they have already established themselves as hardcore gamers. Some games that are not role playing, or strategy games are actually good. Believe me when I say its okay to like a couple of shooters. Whether mass effect 2 is a shooter or an rpg, well the definition for rpg can be found all over the internet. It is really sad that before jumping into an amazing game some gamer still have to convince themselves that it is an rpg, seriously guys you're not a gamer if that is all you are interested in. rpg players enjoy story line right? Expand
  6. Sep 3, 2011
    OMG BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Love love love love it!!!! I really like what they have done with this new installment, I mean i love the whole franchise but, it really just gets better everytime i play it lol.
  7. Sep 5, 2011
    Expands the story very well, although heavily spoilt by amount of DLCs that you have to buy to make the game even halfway decent in length. Paid DLCs is a ripoff no matter how it's marketed, the game is VERY short even with them all.
  8. Sep 16, 2011
    I was impressed by ME1 and when i see the first reviews of ME2 i was sure it will get 10 from me. Unfortunately, reality was brutal. Why BioWare removed sightseeing the planets and substitiuted this dull minigame? Why there's no many weapons and armors? For me, ME2 is a step back.
  9. Sep 20, 2011
    You know, it's really hard to say something about Mass Effect 2. Speaking of myself, i was shocked by it.,really. It was such an amazing experience playing it (and BTW, no' i haven't played ME1 by that time) that it's really hard to write a review on this game. Still, i'll try.
    Well, what are the positive features of the game? First of all-amazing graphics. Trust me, you won't see anything
    like this in any RPG. Definitely. Secondly, the conversations. The style of them, the decisions you make by them-it's all outstanding. The characters themselves are one of the best characters created in the gaming industry. Each one of them is absolutely different from the other, has his own history, personality. And it's really interesting to discover all this.
    The only negative part of ME2 (i don't think it's bad, but some people do) is that Mass Effect Franchise isn't an RPG anymore. It's all about shooting, which is completely different from the first game, and this may dissapoint some people. I think it's more of a good thing, because it makes the game more breath-taking, but some people may not agree.
    So, finally, what can i say about Mass Effect 2? Awesome. Breathtaking. Amazing. And made me buy the First game ;)
  10. Oct 3, 2011
    Un juego exelente con buenos graficos, entretenido, abierto, con un gameplay inovador. Es la perfecta combinacion entre rol y acción, espero con anciedad la tercera entrega de este maravilloso juego
  11. Oct 10, 2011
    1. Bioware is a big dog dev, so all the advertising reviewers must give more than what it really deserve to get more ad money from them. (i.e. After giving bad review on square enix game kane and lynch 2, one of GS reviewers were fired.)

2. This is no longer an innovative TPS RPG hybrid once ME1 tried. This is average at best 3rd person cover shooter with stupid A.I. (If you want top
    notch 3rd psn cover shooter gears of war is the answer.)

3. Story is shallow as hell, almost no sidequest, no world exploration, linear story without any meaningful plot variations. repetitive combat, surprisingly stiff/ limited character animation for action game.

4. Cinematic graphic presentation and SF concept/ artwork and some cool biotic skill effect is the only things that save this mediocre cover shooter from rated more than what it really deserves.

Conclusion : cool SF concept art/ cool biotic skill effect will deceive your mind but underneath the shiny shallow shell, there's plenty of mediocrity of gameplay and contents at its heart.
  12. Oct 22, 2011
    This is one of my favorite game. The story, the freedom of the player to choose his way in the scenario, and the gameplay are really perfect. I'd like to have more games like this one.
  13. Oct 25, 2011
    I can´t help my self, but I just love this game. I played it dozen times on the highest dificulty doing all side missions and tried many choices. The story was great - a little worse than mass effect 1 but still great. When I played this game for the first time, I was quite shocked, where did all those rpg elements from mass effect 1 went, but after some time I got used to it and found it to be not that bad. The big plus for ME2 is a lot better graphic, much better combat (covering system, heavy weapons, ammunition...)a lot better level design, great side missions and the back stories of every team members. The voice acting is superb again, the cutscenes are awesome and videos as well. So of course this game is not perfect but it is not far from it. I would like to see more abilities in mass effect 3. Expand
  14. Oct 26, 2011
    Big improvement over ME1, streamlined nicely but still RPG enough for most. Incredible characters, graphics+art design=Top-notch. Classes now more interesting, all powers a blast to use. EPIC cannot describe it.
  15. Nov 7, 2011
    After playing first game, this one is far more better. In every step, you can see improvements. Graphics are sharper and better, combat system is better, you got more characters to interact with (in your team). Other things like story telling, soundtrack or that high quality of level designs are same. They rip-off some useless RPG elements, so thats good, you don't have to spend points to abilities like hacking. You got this one as passive, so that's the progress. I simply love this game, see ya in ME3 Expand
  16. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing. I can't say enough about it. It's very possibly the best game I've ever played in nearly 15 years of gaming. HIGHLY recommended. Be sure to play the original first, as it makes the experience that much more immersive.
  17. Nov 13, 2011
    I was waiting for a game to finish updating so to kill time I started up mass effect 2. I spent my ENTIRE weekend playing mass effect and it really shows how in depth the gameplay is and why it has such a good metacritic rating. i was so happy when i finished the suicide mission casualty free on sunday at 5 o'clock
  18. Nov 17, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a continuation of the military sci-fi Mass Effect saga developed by the now-legendary Bioware. Mass Effect 2 does a masterful job of recreating and improving on the sci-fi atmosphere and themes of the original, and brings with it further development of one of the best storylines of the decade. The gameplay, graphics, and soundtrack are all improved.

The soundtrack, while
    it has lost much of the familiar 80's vibes associated with the original game, is nonetheless phenomenal, and will not disappoint. I liked the new soundtrack so much I ended up buying it as well.

Perhaps the greatest improvement in Mass Effect 2 was how quickly the game got moving. In the original Mass Effect, masterpiece though it was, I often felt like I was beginning the undertaking of reading a nice book. Despite being a terrific experience on the whole, it had a slow start, and didn't become particularly interesting until after you had played for a couple hours to allow the story to develop more and get through the earlier "groundwork stages" of the game.

In contrast, Mass Effect 2 has vastly improved in this area, and took my breath away almost as soon as I started playing. The improvements in the combat system, character cast, and riveting story kept me coming back for more and more! This was also likely due to the fact that the sequel builds on the groundwork put in place by the original game of the series. Overall, Mass Effect 2 is essentially flawless. All the familiar elements of the perfect game are here. The thought-provoking story is there. The graphics are good, and complement the setting and themes of the game nicely. The gameplay has improved, both in terms of dialog options, and in terms of pure combat-enjoyment. Don't miss out on the number one military sci-fi epic of our decade!
  19. Nov 21, 2011
    This game is a triumph. I kid you not, I've played through eight different times, continuing saves from Mass Effect and once starting from scratch on ME2. The story and gameplay are amazing. It's incredibly rewarding to see that your choices matter. The soundtrack is as epic as any Sci-fi adventure. This game is perfect.
  20. Dec 16, 2011
    highly polished in every aspect and far superior to its predecessor, mass effect 2 is perhaps my favorite game of all time, with intense action, beautiful graphics and art design, large amount of replay value and memorable story/characters
  21. Dec 20, 2011
    This game came out about the same time I met my current girlfriend. Godammn it! Eventually I decided to let her in on a little secret of mine. I told her that frequently after we say goodnight and I drop her off home, I go home to my room and take command of a spaceship, called the Normandy. Didn't make any mention of the little thing I was hoping to get going with one of the cute hands-on-deck (Ashley I think her name was ). And then I cruise around galaxies and star systems looking for minerals, exploration activities, fights, battles and quests. Thus I had to admit that even though she thought she was starting a relationship with a switched-on intelligent guy, I was actually one of those moronic imbeclies that play RPG games on their computer. Suffice to say it didn't go down to well ... Why you'd want to know that I don't know, but what I'm trying to say is that I had to explain what this game was to a person that has never played a game in their life before. Once she could see that there was "story", "character development", "adventure", "combat" and "politics", she was much more impressed. I actually used this as an excuse to get her round to my place one night, by saying something along the lines, "I'll let you choose which planet we go to :)". Expand
  22. Dec 20, 2011
    I can't really say much about Mass Effect 2 that other people on metacritic and the rest of the Web haven't said already. For all the bugs the vehicle exploration stuff had, it was a nice touch, and help make the game world feel bigger. The planet-scanning was, frankly, terrible, and a bag replacement for the Mako. Also, the main plot was illogical (Derelict reaper that popped up out of nowhere, no one thinks to show it to the council; the final choice has no impact on what happens in ME3). Aside from that, this is a fairly solid third-person shooter, with much improved music, graphics, and game mechanics over the first, but with a weaker plot and less RPG elements. Oh, and for those who want to get the Kasumi DLC; Don't. It's a waste of your **** money, trust me. Expand
  23. Dec 22, 2011
    i am going to **** about how they ruined this franchise for people that knew enough to know why they liked it. being lazy/removing the rpg elements the devs altered this series drastically (skill tree has been neutered, equipment is vanilla or chocolate, etc.) rendering it another pseudo-immersing over-the-shoulder-kill-things-game that despite being presented as an open world, is really a straight line you can jump to different points on.

they would be better served by just culling what few RPG elements they left in it and going FPS. it gets a 6 because its pretty, and the fights are sometimes interesting.
  24. Dec 28, 2011
    So the sequel to one of the best sci-fi games arrived, and even though it came back in 2010 I felt it should be my first review for anyone interested, so lets start through my evaluation method comprised of: Graphics, Gameplay, Story and Soundtrack & Effects.

Graphics: in 2010 we had a few graphic showcases but nothing as mind blowing as 2011's Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3. However Mass
    Effect 2 had a very interesting way of mixing the futuristic art-style with the lightning and effects, by that i mean the game is beautiful but do not expect to be amazed by it. All I can say is it shines on where it needs to and shows extremely well how a sci-fi graphic style should be. Graphics Grade: 9.5/10

Gameplay: this is where Mass Effect 2 really differs from its predecessor, the gameplay is less focused on pointless exploration and more fluid, I believe that the removal of many RPG elements was necessary in order to make the game less level dependant. I tend to prefer a game that relies on my skills; not my level. Of course that completely changes the genre, but in my opinion Bioware has taken the great RPG elements, which were the conversations and decision making and mixed those with a very good shooting dynamic mechanism that simply works better than having to change weapons and go to inventory at every 10 minutes. Gameplay Grade: 9/10

Story: The story of Mass Effect 2 is simply fantastic, I won't spoil it here, but what i can say is that the player's decisions take a heavy impact on how the characters are developed so think well before choosing just any line of dialog. If you finished the first game than you can already have an idea of how the story plays, however the plot is more focused on character development this time around. Story Grade: 10/10

Soundtrack: I consider the soundtrack of a game to be of vital importance in order for its atmosphere to be sustained, and Mass Effect 2 has every thing a person needs to hear to become hypnotized by its contagious sci-fi fantasy. The sound effects are the very edge between realistic and fictional and the soundtrack has variable tones of intensity and tranquility. Soundtrack & Effects Grade: 10/10

The Final Grade is composed of an average of the previous four, so the...

Final Grade for Mass Effect 2: 9.625/10 which means 10/10.
  25. Jan 1, 2012
    Simply one of the best games i've ever played. and definitely my all time replayability title.It is a roleplaying/shooter with excellent voice acting, amazing graphics, and the most intense atmosphere!. This game pulls you in and keep you and a wonderful ride. Highly recommended!
  26. Jan 21, 2012
    The games pretty fun, I love the storyline and is one of the best roleplaying games that wasn't made by Bethesda. I found the game not as fun as the first one, but it still doesn't affect my score. It is a fun game until you have to acquire minerals which is pretty boring. I loved how they included Genesis so I could transfer my player from the first game. Overall, I loved the game and I can't wait until the 3rd comes out. Expand
  27. Jan 23, 2012
    ...:::GAME OF THE DECADE:::...

An epic intergalactic experience that'll totally blow you away..
    This game just totally rocked my world

Must buy if you love the sci-fi genre!!
  28. Jan 26, 2012
    Simply awesome, at first its "good" but as you start playing it, it gets a lot better. Depending of what you say or do in the game, affects the story in some way. They are only a few problems like crashing and audio glitching out, but they appear rarely so it doesn't ruin the experience. I highly recommend this.
  29. Jan 28, 2012
    It is easier to list the things i disliked than the things I liked about this game. There was one main character I found slightly annoying, and I found myself wishing I could still drive ME1's landing vehicle around at will. What isn't there to love about ME2? Great characters, exciting plot. You really are compelled to gather a great and loyal team. Every character has his or her own entire plot line dedicated to them to ensure your success in the climactic battle, a time where you make gambles as a leader as well as a fighter. Epic stuff in this box! I would have paid more than the $60 I laid down at its release in hindsight. Expand
  30. Jan 28, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic game! Story, setting, mood, action, companions and looks are all 10/10, but unfortunately I hated the scanning planets for various materials - terrible idea! Therefore it is 9/10 instead.

Can´t wait for ME3 to come out and enthrall me again for hours and hours!
  31. Feb 22, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is definitely one of the best action-rpg games in history. Even though people criticize the lack of inventory and different option, i actually like the streamlined changes. It puts more focus on the story and gameplay instead of stats. The story is definitely one of the best and the voice acting is terrific. t's hard not to love the hateful Illusive Man or Legion or Grunt. Mass Effect 2 seems to have done many things right and i am glad that it is a commercial and critical success. Expand
  32. Feb 13, 2012
    Overall, I like mass effect 1's more rpg like focus to it's mechanics and stats than mass effect 2's more functional and bare streamlining. However, while this game is a better rpg - it also has more lows in it's pacing. Some sections in mass effect are incredible and interesting, others are slow moving. I think mass effect 2 should have never removed the planet exploration. In the end. I score both games the same. 9/10. For different reasons, mass effect 2 is a perfectly paced game, that was successfully streamlined. However lost some of it's scale as a result. Mass effect 1 was more ambitious, however it was occasionally boring. Expand
  33. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts of it felt a little rushed, it was mildly buggy at times, and it was abused with some rather stupid DLC .. weapons/armor packs anyone? That's EA at work, though, not Bioware. God, I hate EA so much. Everything they touch is tainted with bad, greedy marketing and the taint of stockholders who care more about profits this year than long term. Expand
  34. Feb 27, 2012
    Just love it (ME1 too).
    Definitely one of the biggest games ever.
    Beatyful storyline, characters, sci-fi setup, deep and detailed world, nice graphics.
  35. Feb 28, 2012
    Bioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. Go buy this game now, as well as it's original incarnation! Expand
  36. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is simply Bioware's best RPG to date and is the closest I've played to gaming perfection. Mass Effect 3 will have to do wonders in order to knock its predecessor off its perch.
  37. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 took everything that was great about Mass Effect, and made it better. Most of the annoying aspects of the first game were removed, and I really only have one complaint about the second one (the planet mining -- ugh). What really stood out for me was how well the sequel built upon the decisions that you made in the original. What BioWare has done here is something truly special.
  38. Mar 6, 2012
    Though expanding the universe and bringing in more colorful characters, the overall story falls flat on its face when it comes to wrapping the game up. The cheapness and lack of interest from the team during the final moments is almost palpable. There is a decent amount of character customization, but far less when compared to the previous installment. Exploring the different planets is a fun affair, but lacks solidness.

Also, the fact that the game is bogged down by countless DLC snippets of storyline leaves a bad taste in this gamer's mouth. I am all for more content, but the majority of it felt as though it were being ripped out from the main game on the disc. The days when video games were video games, instead of constant sources of income for companies that already have billions of dollars are long, long gone.
  39. Mar 9, 2012
    Great game but doesnt stands up to Mass Effect 1, improved on gameplay but downgraded the RPG elements of the prequel, improved on some aspects such as the inventory but also simplified it by alot.
    Epic beggining and even more epic end!
  40. Mar 13, 2012
    I love that game. I have beaten it few times now, which is a lot for a 30 hours long game. I guess that says everything. As much as it could be better game and it could incorporate your choices in more distinctive way (they are mainly one-liners in dialogue), It still has lovable universe, great plot line, rewarding gameplay and it is a "Star Wars saga of Games".
  41. Mar 13, 2012
    This is one of if not the best game I have ever played. Loved the first Mass Effect but this is one has everything going for it imo, story, action, choices etc etc.
  42. Mar 15, 2012
    This game was actually very good. I am personally not into Sci-Fi RPGs, but this game really got me involved. The story and especially the ending were fantastic. Though there a few bugs such at getting stuck on top of objects requiring you to load your last save and lose your current progress was annoying. Another was the character face creator seemed to be lacking, specially for the female character. However, the games ending really soaks up all the problems into a fantastic 'you are the hero' feeling in the most interactive cinematic experience i have ever had at my fingertips. Expand
  43. Mar 17, 2012
    This game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyone who hesitated playing this because "it is bad game" comments but still can feel something special watching trailers like Skyrim's or DXHR's over and over :) You will love ME2 in the same way :) Expand
  44. Mar 18, 2012
    Game of a generation. My kids will enjoy this 10, 15 years down the line (if there is still Earth to play this on)
    This is a fine-made RPG/FPS game and great sequel to the already successful Mass Effect game. Two points were taken off for these reasons: 1) Looting system is gone. This is not cool (especially when they decided not to bring it in ME3); 2) DLCs involve story-critical
    missions. I had to go back and get all the DLCs before I start ME3. These years this has been a game publishing trend - (FFXIII-2 I'm talking about you) using DLC as a lure out of hard-working (or playing) gamers' pockets. We'd pay if it's an excellent (or is a fanboy of) game, but not through these little DLC packages. There should totally have been a GOTY edition made to include all DLCs so I didn't have to collect them one by one painfully through the Cerberus Network. I am saddened today to learn that the Mass Effect series ended up like every other (pinnacle at 2, tragedy at 3): Uncharted, Gears of War, God of War etc... Expand
  45. Mar 22, 2012
    Took away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is now pause. What used to be pause is now run. What used to be interact is now order squad mate, and the new run key is also the new interact key. So if you're coming straight from ME1 be prepared to get frustrated while you get used to the new controls. Besides those 2 things the game is great and a huge improvement over (the already great) mass effect 1. And the way it carries over decisions made in the previous game adds a whole new layer of immersion and replayability. Expand
  46. Mar 22, 2012
    I quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. And despite these minor faults, the game was still an absolute blast to play. Expand
  47. Mar 27, 2012
    I LOVE THIS GAME. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. sorry, i know this is not how you start a review but i've never played a game that got me so engaged i actually cried for joy at some points. love the 'angel' & 'devil' choices as well!
  48. Mar 28, 2012
    I personally love it. I started the game with crying as is see what´s happend with my Normandy. So its the perfect continues story and the gameplay is bether than before. but you have to patch it because ther were many buggs.
  49. Apr 9, 2012
    Great game albet inventory and mods dummed down from the original, not the butchery that DA2 is, totally abandoning the standard of the original game.
  50. Apr 23, 2012
    Amazing,beatiful,compelling story from the master Drew Karpyshyn a genius writer that give us one of the greatest scifi histories ever,if you love RPG,action and a good story fulll of amazing characters mass effect 2 is for you
  51. May 21, 2012
    ME2 is a brilliant game. The graphic, the atmosphere and the characters catch you deep in a story about all or nothing. Sometimes the storytelling is a bit slow, but this is just my opinion. I love this game and play it many times - One of the games I would tell 'Game of the Year'.
  52. Jun 15, 2012
    I'll start by stating that I'm anything but a Sci-Fi fan, so I guess what I have to say might carry a bit more weight than if I was.

I must say I dind't enjoy any game like I enjoyed Dragon Age:Origins for a long time, and yet, given the choice to play DA:O (which is more in line with the games is enjoy the most) or ME2, I'd have to think for a while and then probably choose Mass
    Effect 2.

I loved it so much I even started looking for a tactical first person shooter (which not my kind of game, really), which eventually lead to the discovery of Battelfield 3.

Overall, though not in my usual vein of games, probably the most satisfying game I ever played.
  53. Jul 21, 2012
    This game's suicide mission is one of the best game sequences which combine gameplay, action and atmosphere (The music/soundtrack!!) that I've ever encountered. Overall, this game is truly epic and worth it's 10 out of 10, I still play it regularly. Unfortunately, there are a few too many characters in this game, making squad selection less strategic than in Mass Effect 1. But still, each character's individual personality and their loyalty missions more than make up for that. Expand
  54. Jul 23, 2012
    No much to say here! They fixed all bad things which was annoying in 1st part continuing awesome story and characters. Map system and fighting is also improved which made this game almost perfect. Play 1st part because of story line and this part for fun!
  55. Jul 24, 2012
    This was the first Mass Effect game that I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like most Bioware RPGs, it featured above-average writing and character development. Throughout the game I felt invested in the story and the characters, who I grew to care about and (eventually) mourn their deaths. The gameplay in general was fun and the environments were interesting. My main complaint is that there is little you can do to customize your characters: your main character can wear different armor pieces which are slightly different, and along the way you collect weapon upgrades which are automatic. The only real customization is in your talent points, but there are few of these and they do not generally affect gameplay as much as you might expect. I ended up taking these limitations with a grain of salt and just enjoyed blasting things instead, but I could see this being a significant setback for some players. Expand
  56. Jul 27, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 should be the game that sets the bar for all other games, from its amazing combat system to its interesting paragon/renegade effects i couldn't bring myself to stop playing it. Perhaps one of the greatest features of this game is that every shepard is different, not just aesthetically but in the advancements, weapons and classes. I spent close to 36 hours playing this game with all the DLC and enjoyed every second of building up a squad and slowly playing through their loyalty missions in order to leave no one behind at the final mission. My only criticism is that it is it is less open world then it should be as after all you are given a galaxy to explore and yet can only walk around on a small number of them and 3/4 have no purpose other than mineral gathering. But overall the style of this game has one me over 9/10. Expand
  57. Jul 31, 2012
    A true Sci-Fi game. With amazing visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot. You can feel actual pressure for your decisions. Option of importing a character from ME1 is amazing.
  58. Aug 25, 2012
    Let's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combat they just removed it completely. The replacement for it, the mining game, is not any better. The galaxy seems smaller now but the multitude of hub worlds sort of fills in the gap left by it. They also removed the inventory system (which was very bad in ME1) and replaced it with an upgrade system. It's good but it still would've been better to have an inventory. Conclusion: Small problems here and there but the good parts outweigh them. 9/10 Expand
  59. Sep 2, 2012
    One of my all-time favorite PC Games ever. This is truly an epic video game with a wonderful story and beautiful graphics. There really aren't many games I enjoy replaying like this one. I have played through the game 3 times and each play through was literally as fun as the last. It really makes me sad because this is the one game I kind of wish would go on forever.
  60. Sep 13, 2012
    The game is good and a must play for ME fans, but the move from non-ammo count firearms to ammo seems almost nonsensical as it completely changes how one sees the unique futuristic weapons. Scrounging for ammo is one of the least enjoyable aspects of shooters. Game was kinda ruined by the constant purposeful delaying of the final mission and the environment (galaxy) seemed so much more claustrophobic for some reason. Due to the above issues the game feels more of a grind than the first. Expand
  61. Oct 4, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is stunning space opera and a stunningly mediocre game. It boasts some of the best NPCs and voice acting ever seen in gaming. Then it sticks the 'actors' in the most constricted spaces imaginable, playing about the most asinine 'campaign' ever made. You have beautifully conceived characters like Jack, trapped on a tiny space ship where nothing happens, playing a minigame to 'travel the galaxy' which means running around to encounters on tiny little maps that are supposed to represent 'planets. The parts of the game that are good are really great, but the total experience is good cinema in a BAD game. If they keep the cionema and get around to building proper cities and planets one day this franchise might become AWESOME. Cross your fingers and PRAY. Expand
  62. Dec 24, 2012
    What I expected: More from what I got in the first game. What I got: A dumbed down, consolized game with bad game mechanics and a terrible UI. Good things first. The presentation (graphics, animations, voice over) works great, pretty much like in the first game, and the story is nice. Unfortunately, that's where the good things end. The decision that guns now require ammo is something I can accept and would even prefer. But why does my boss spend billions on a star ship with an advanced armory, yet doesn't have enough cash to buy me some ammo? That way, I have to rely on the ammo I find from dead enemies, which don't always drop the ammo I need. Great, but that's one of the minor flaws of this game: Before I started playing, I had to fix several bugs with the mouse speed and colorization of the game. Many players are complaining about this on forums, but Bioware never bothered to patch these things themselves. Then, I can hardly enjoy anything in this game, because the user interface is so *** **** bad. You can't double click in menus, always need to "click item", then "click ok button". It's not even possible to confirm with ENTER, you have to click the button. Every time. Same goes for the star map. On top of that, there are no shortcut keys to get to the important menus, you have to hit ESC and then click the menu you want to bring up. You can navigate there with the arrow keys, but for some reason unknown to anyone in this galaxy, the controls are reversed. Left goes right, down goes up. Doing simple things takes forever, because the interface is just such a damn mess. Also, every time you pick something up, a message about the item will pop up and fill about half of your screen. They got most of this right in the first game, then changed it to this to "improve" the game for gaming consoles and didn't bother to change it for the PC version - but not only is it bad for PC players, it's also an insult to console gamers. They must really think you're stupid when they dumb down a game like that. Then again, maybe many console gamers are. Expand
  63. Jan 10, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 has the worst continuation of story in any sci-fi. It destroyed the lore of Mass Effect 1, made main antagonists into brain dead morons, and it actually serves no point, because we didn't learn anything really important in it, for example, how to stop the reapers or how to unite a galaxy against this threat and so on and fourth. The beginning just happened and later on no further themes of this "revival" weren't addressed nor the whole process explained. Shepard died and got resurrected, just to serve the plot, it adds no meaning nor change to main characters character, Shepard seems to be just a static brick. Overall, the storyline was not good, at all.
    Other problems contains game mechanics and oversimplification of RPG elements and lore breaking transition from unique concept of weapon mechanics to general ammo clips. Exploration is also dumped down to boring planet search minigame. Customization was improved on some parts, but overall it was also majorly oversimplified and generalized. They really tried to push this game to general audience, which they shouldn't have been doing in the first place.
    ME2 marks the beginning of the complete wreckage for the whole franchise, ME3 being the second mark on that path. This game shows how lack of attention to the detail and story can destroy the potential of interesting and engaging lore.
  64. May 18, 2013
    In short to keep with game play ability length. Mass Effect 2 is a Action third person shooter first and foremost.
    ANYONE thinking ME2 would continue on the deep and compelling Universe and story lines set up in Mass effect will be greatly disappointed. Even the save game transfers from ME are mostly meaningless as all the carry over choices (with exception of 1 but ill not ruin that
    here) are minimalized and finished off with NO future adventure or interaction (beyond a short conversation here and there).

In short the Open World Storyline design of Mass Effect is removed and replaced with a singular Linear Third Person Shooter design.

now none of that is terrible (well other then short length of game, thats unforgivable), if thats what you went in expecting. Sadly EA marketted this game as the spiritual and RPG expansion of the first to up box sales at release. Typical EA.

Mass Effect 2 is a Sci Fi third person shooter. Its has semi interesting characters and you even get to decide who you romance (WOOT, from choosing if a alien speices lives or dies in ME1 to who you get a black screen with in ME2).

In the end, If you like the Mass Effect Universe and like shooters, you will like this game
    Just dont go into it thinking your getting the next installment of the original Mass Effect RPG. That franchise stopped production after #1
  65. May 23, 2013
    The RPG elements have been removed almost entirely of this game and makes this game only a third person shooter. The story in the game is full of as many plot holes as a cardboard box after you took a tommy gun to it, and the characters, although good, have no purpose of being there for the most part. if you want a nice TPS this game is for you, otherwise just find something else you will thank yourself latter. There is no connection to the main plot and the events that transpire are pointless. How this game is considered one of the best ever is beyond me but for a TPS it is passable. Overall a 6/10 a above average game that can only be recommended to some shooter lovers of games like Gears of War. Expand
  66. May 30, 2013
    Mass Effect went from being a wonderful, epic RPG that was very unique, to a poor cover based shooter. I don't hate cover based shooters, but Mass Effect 2 did a terrible job with it. The enemies are predictable and do the same damning thing every time that it just becomes boring! I can't recommend this game, but it doesn't mean it was bad. Just very disappointing if you played the original.
  67. Dec 24, 2013
    A masterpiece. Second best game Bioware made, after with Baldurs Gate II in mine opinion. Original Mass Effect was one of the best RPGs ever made, but ME 2 is even better.
  68. Jul 30, 2013
    By far the best part of the series. Mass Effect 2 offers great RPG gameplay within a very well-designed world, tense atmosphere, interesting characters, and some choices and decisions that really matter (at least to some extent). Half of the game is exploring, talking to people, making decisions. I have to admit that I never really very much liked the other half: The actual gameplay is rather dull, but for a third person cover shooter, it does provide a decent gameplay experience. It's a bit disappointing that this is actually the part of the series with the RPG elements dumbed down the most (a lot more in ME1, a bit more in ME3), but still a very good game with excellent storyline. Expand
  69. Aug 23, 2013
    Shepard is Finally the awesome guy he should have been in ME1 but this game makes more than up for it. It keeps bringing awesome twists to your game by instating new characters as you go along. the road to victory is a hard one for shepard, but in the end its all worth it.
    i'm mrpopo666 and this is my favorite review on metacritic
  70. Sep 6, 2013
    Goods: - it is beautiful! (I played in 1920x1080) - the story is breathtaking! - the characters are very unique, they have their own personality! (I like Mordin, when he is jabbering, but in an intelligent way) - you cannot stop playing! - camera movement is very 'movie like', sometimes slowly turns around the character when in conversation, i like it. - I love the world on the planets where you can land (you can dance, you can help almost anyone to feel better, buying a fish to eat, help someone out with money etc.), so You can solve problems if You want.

Bads only in game menu:
    - i think bioware should not be proud about the game menu solution:
    - using the missions list tree structure is frustrating, you can not use it with keyboard (cursor moving buttons work, but then enter, space, nothing responses), with mouse sucks, you have to click, select, click, select with mouse, then click on the okay button on the very bottom... Frustrating, slow.
    - you have to navigate to the buttons with mouse, keyboard is not allowed. Boring, frustrating, slow.
    - It is not always the same function when you hit escape on keyboard, or hit the back button on the screen (example: when you scanning the planets, you hit escape, you will be behind Shepard on the spaceship, not the galaxy view, to scan new planets. You have to click on the back button on screen with mouse!)
    - when you are scanning planets, you have to turn to scan the whole planet, while you have to hold down right mouse button. Boring, uncomfortable.
    - they should learn a bit from firaxis xcom enemy unknown, about using the right mouse button to go back one level up in menu, or screen page (or using the 3rd, 4th mouse buttons for circle the units or for scrolling pages)
    - why i can not use enter when i select a button, or just double click on it with mouse to go inside? I have to go down to the next button with mouse. Frustrating, slow.
    - why i can not use w,a,s,d buttons to navigate in menus, then hit enter, or e, or space or something common button?
    - I hate origin login, it slows down starting the game

Comparison: Mass Effect 1 Mass Effect 2
    - now the mission areas very unique, not the same like in the first episode (the same ships inside, the same mines inside)
    - you can control your followers individually, not in a team (therefore the controls were redefined, i hated it for one hour only), your followers AI a bit better
    - Bioware is modified the planets scanning mechanism: mako is no more, you have to launch probes to get your resources as palladium etc., It is still boring, but better than the long traveling with mako.
    - You do not need to convert things to omnigel, to make those mini games for unlocking a computer or door.
    - You will see two types of mini games (select the right code lines, or connect the right circuits to each other), I like more mass effect 1 mini game (going with an arrow inside the circle)
    - The conversations are very fluent now, the heads movement are not lagging like the first episode
    - The in game menu is still a you can only use mouse, keyboard is only for hit escape

Conclusion:
    This is a must have game!
  71. Sep 24, 2013
    Interesante y adictivo. Mejora mucho la historia con respecto a su predecesor, y ofrece otra perspectiva del universo Mass Effect. Es cierto que pierde elementos de rol (algo de lo que muchos se han quejado), pero no le doy importancia porque nunca consideré a esta saga "de rol". El primer Mass Effect ya me pareció más un "shooter" que otra cosa y este es una evolución un tanto lógica del estilo creado con el primer título. Expand
  72. Oct 21, 2013
    My favorite game of all times. This is an RPG that takes place in an amazing wold with tons of lore and backstory for the one who's interested. The story and the characters are amazing and the soundtrack is mind blowing.
  73. Oct 21, 2013
    The abundant choices and seeing them impact and unfold as you play the game makes the choices seem meaningful. The combat, however is standard, wonderful game overall.
  74. Efa
    Oct 24, 2013
    It might not be a straight up RPG, but the characters, the action, and the players ability to influence the games progression and ending make this my favorite game ever. A must play!
  75. Oct 27, 2013
    A gem of a game, engaging story with fun, sometimes tricky combat situations and also a surprisingly re-playable game where actions, sometimes silly and insignificant have followed you through the story [more game if you kept a save game from the first game]. Love it, Thank you Bioware.

Gab
    LoyalistN7
  76. Nov 1, 2013
    I won't play a game that hasn't sufficiently grabbed my attention. The entire ME series downright stole my attention and warped that way I look at all other games. It's smart, genre-bending, exciting and addictive. I haven't found a game that satisfies as much as ME and I suspect I never will again.
    It means the world to me that the main character doesn't have to be the typical white
    male. Sheperd is me down to the way she looks and the decisions she makes. The ancillary characters are superb with personalities and singular intentions. I love that I get to chose who to befriend and how much.
    When I finished the ME series, I actually felt pangs of sadness, because I missed the friends I'd made along the way. I missed the fight and missions. So I played again and reshaped the story to go in a different direction. Replay value is through the roof! ME is literally the best game I have ever played.
  77. Nov 7, 2013
    Without a doubt the best series i've ever come to play! So much replay value! Its insane and I can't describe it enough. THIS IS A MUST BUY AND PLAY EXPERIENCE. Trust me on this!

Pros:
    Just... wow (useless pros. I know :v)
    Story and characters are so well done!

Cons:
    Combat can get a little linear
    No coop
  78. Nov 11, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is a modern day RPG masterpiece. From the story to the music, everything is pretty much near perfect. This is a must play for any RPG fan. ME2's development started right after EA acquired Bioware, but had a mostly hands off approach to the game.

ME1's main flaw was it's battle system. It was lackluster and needed improvement. Bioware decided to take the risk and
    incorporate a "real" FPS system in ME2. Well, that risk payed off bigtime in one of the best blockbuster RPG's of our time.

Other traditional RPG elements such as inventory management are eliminated helping to streamline your experiences. And you know what? It works, it fits. It helps you focus on more important, and more enjoyable things in the game. Having a simple upgrade system works much better.

ME2 takes the game to all new levels. A deeper, more interesting battle system. The character interactions are excellent. The development, the actions you take, the choices you make really do affect the outcome of this story.

As in Classic Star Wars fashion, the second movie raises the stakes even higher, is darker and more serious than ever. The real possibility of your teammates dying in the final, suicide mission was a brilliant move by Bioware. The game climaxes at the best point the end where you see all your work, all of your choices unfold, leaving some to the next and final part of the trilogy. The raise in tension is felt throughout the game, and drives the player forward.

The soundtrack is excellent and accurately reflects such high stakes.

ME2 really surpassed the bar for RPG's. It had me glued to the game. When I am glued to a game playing it every day from start to finish, I know its a hit.

Its just such a shame that it's sequel, ME3 was unfortunately a lackluster, rushed finish and a real letdown. Obviously, EA had involved themselves in the final game, which really screwed up ME3.

Most gamers will recognize ME2 as the real climax of the series and the best out of the 3.

79. Nov 20, 2013
    Type of game that engrossed me from start to finish. The combination of writing and voice acting caused me to care greatly about the protagonist and my crew. Not quite as "save the worldy" as some RPGs, which was a nice change of pace. Choices felt like they built from the first game and mattered. The combat was also much more fluid and felt greatly improved from the first.

Rating
    this one slightly lower than the original even with the improvements. The story seemed to shift slightly, and there wasn't as much influence of the background lore. The RPG elements may have been clunky in the original, but they were mostly streamlined/stripped from the second. Did not feel like the character progressed much in strength outside of weapons. Expand
  80. Dec 20, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is definitely the best game in the series. Its story is overwhelming, the game-play fluid, and just the entire setup and everything, it's beautiful. The character development is extraordinary and seeing some old faces from Mass Effect 1 again was especially nice, though the new faces among the crew are also pretty fantastic. Each of them has their own story, the level of interaction possible is great (except for 'I'm in the middle of some calibrations', ugh). The different classes have improved, just like many other things. The game offers plenty of side missions, which all add flavour to the already fantastic main storyline. Also: Garrus. Need I say more? Expand
  81. Jan 2, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 has its problems, because it was developed mainly for consoles, which brought many disadvantages with it (linear levels, bad controls, horrible menus, removal of RPG elements) and PC players were left behind a bit.
    It's still Mass Effect at the core though and the story and characters are so fantastic that it easily makes up for that. As in the first game, the story is
    great. I think the secret of the Mass Effect series is mainly in the writing, because the dialogues just feel more believable than in other games and they nailed it again in ME2. Of course it helps that graphics, music and gameplay (with the above mentioned exceptions) are all outstanding. Expand
  82. Jan 2, 2014
    I'm going to come out an say that Mass Effect 2 is overrated. Part of me wants to rate the game lower, but I can't, because the fact is that the game play is fantastic. The combat and level design was VASTLY improved over the first mass effect and made the game much more fun from that perspective.

Despite all the progress made in playability, ME2 takes a major step backward in terms of
    plot. The game starts off quickly, but could do without the Six Million Dollar Man storyline, which, apart from looking good on Shepard's resume, has almost no impact on the rest of the game OR the sequel. Instead, it's just a plot point used to justify enlisting you in a suspect organization the player cares nothing about, which sends you around the galaxy with a grocery list of dangerous criminals and trained killers that the player also cares nothing about (at first) that Shepard must tirelessly recruit in a series of missions which have little impact on the greater storyline at hand. All this is done while isolating the player from most of the characters that they cared about in the first Mass Effect.

Even still, all this could be used as a plot point, but isn't; the player has no way to express how they feel about the sudden changes from Mass Effect 1 through Shepard, as he/she appears largely indifferent about how the job gets done, so long as it gets done. I was frustrated with the storyline, but no one else appeared to be. The only exception to this is in the Shadow Broker DLC, where Shepard has an opportunity to open up to Liara (btw, this is one of many reasons you should absolutely get this dlc, which is better than the rest of the game, especially if you are pursing a relationship with Liara).

The whole game feels very punch-in, punch-out, until about halfway through when the loyalty quests begin, and the player has a chance to connect with their new squad members and play through some missions that are well thought out and engaging. So, in all fairness, the game does get better as it goes, but it's hard to get through the first 10-15 hours of it, which is a problem. The final mission is particularly wonderful and worth all the slogging. I think Joker says it best himself: Mass Effect 1 wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but Mass Effect 2 is stuck in a weird place.
  83. Jan 10, 2014
    Mass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bit of story everytime Expand
  84. Jan 11, 2014
    The graphics are great, the story is great, the game-play is great and the soundtrack it great. Over all this is a very fun game and it should not be missed out on. This game is GREAT!!!
  85. Jan 19, 2014
    Most things that got potential in the first game were completly removed, but the game works better as a TPS than as a tactical RPG. I am a little dissapointed because the story is weaker and some opportunities were missed, by it has a better gameplay with combat that actually works.
  86. Feb 5, 2014
    a clear improvement over the original. improved graphics and gameplay, along with an even better story than the first. your character personality can be changed once again based on your actions. the ending is influenced by how loyal your squad members are to you which happens during loyalty missions, and in some cases, dialogue choices. the gameplay itself has been greatly improved and now has special actions that take place during some cutscenes, somewhat like qte's. left clicking is a renegade action, and right clicking is a paragon action. there's a larger variety of guns and powers now, although no gun mods which is a little disappointing. the voice acting has improved a bit, and the characters are more interesting now, which is also nice. the only problems are that there are still glitches, mainly getting stuck on pieces of scenery and having to wait to die or restarting the mission or last save. Expand
  87. Feb 24, 2014
    I've always loved Mass Effect 1 when it was first out on 360, i just loved, the storytelling,combat everything and i just thought Mass Effect 2 (before it cam out) was just the same as Mass Effect 1, like it cant be improved, (BETTER), but Mass Effect 2 came out and i played it and it blew me away it was better, but still like mass effect 1 and always will, but mass effect 2 just blew me away it was mind blowing full of awesomeness, great game YOU HAVE TO BUY IT!!!!!! Expand
  88. Mar 30, 2014
    True sequel to the first masterpiece,again great story,improved gameplay elements.(only backfire is the new weapon and skill system in my opinion,but its easy to overlook that).
    And what catched me is,that how the game feedbacks on your imported savegame,you backstory.
    PLAY THE FIRST GAME FIRST!!!!!
    MUST HAVE FOR EVERYONE.
    Looking foward for the third one which i will start next week.

And so far,the best optimized game i've seen.It runs so well on my old P4 that im amazed.

[spoiler] it is really satisfying to hear how are the rachni(just save them :D),to meet old friends,to get **** up by krogans.:D
    To look at the universe,and see what you made with your choices.(council or TV report from ME1.)
  89. Apr 1, 2014
    Loooooved the story,emotion is this game fuel.You feel responsable for every word,act,charachter and universe.Great job.My top 10 of all times is here.
  90. Apr 12, 2014
    I love this game. I love it so much, you can sink in it's own world so easily, the world of ME2 feels so alive, everyone reacts to the things you do, it's a feeling of a world being alive I had in Fallout 3 the last time, and it's (besides Bully which is an amazing game too) the only game I had such a feeling in. (Wow, this sounds kinda stoned.) I can JUST recommend it. It may be that I like the game so much, just because I didn't expect much, to be honest, when I bought it I didn't even wanna install it. Then I watched like 2 Reviews of it and started playing it. But still, you should really get it.

I REALLY don't know how anyone could give this game anything under 80.
  91. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    EA published, less RPG feel compared to the first one.

Pros:
    Great characters, great story, nice decision system, fun gameplay, immersive atmosphere, great sci-fi universe, politically charged & nice classes to choose from.
  92. Jun 1, 2014
    By far my favorite game. Fantastic storyline, character development, and gameplay. You get to choose your class as well as everything you say in the game.... pretty amazing piece of art. Good job fellaz.
  93. Jun 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. A game where choices actually matter, and the galaxy is epic and brilliant. This game is only held back by its lack of true side/optional missions, boring scanning for minerals, and an ending that really doesnt matter what your choices were, all you have to do is follow a flow chart Expand
  94. Jul 4, 2014
    ITS MORE THAN A GAME........this is my first MASS EFFECT game,i have'nt played the previous part..Usually i love playing 3rd person shooter games but not found of playing science-fiction games... But i really loved this game..good graphics as its a 2010 game,also gameplay,storyline are all excellent...the characters are also great including commander shepard and miranda is damm hot and sexyy ;)... now i playing mass effect 2 and will play mass effect 3 for sure...i became a big fan of MASS EFFECT :) Expand
  95. Aug 17, 2010
    Better written, but it seems like the gameplay got even more repetitive when compared to the first. Still an extremely immersible game and well secured in my small vault of favorites. I would give this a ten because I love it. But from a neutral perspective the repetitiveness in gameplay has made it hard for me to play it again until me3 is announced
  96. Aug 20, 2010
    Very good gaming experience, I loved it from beginning to end. For me this game represent what the future of gaming is like. The story is great, the graphics are amazing, the sound is good and overall the game play is very satisfying indeed. For me this is the best game that came out this year!
  97. Aug 26, 2010
    Best god-damn game ever!
    I mean...I was just speechless when I played it!
    Can't wait for BioWare to release ME3 and import my Commander Shepard of The Normandy to it!!
  98. Aug 29, 2010
    I entered the Mass Effect universe through this game. I beat it and I enjoy every single fiber of its existence. I played through and beat Mass Effect 1 twice after beating the second game. 2 is an obvious improvement.

It just glistens with epic. I've witnessed FPS-only, MMO-only, and even RTS-only fans praise this game for its prominence and go out and buy it. I can guarantee that if any
    game will change a genre-strict players mind, this is it. If you like good games, or even good movies, you will like this game.

I cant even begin to contemplate why anyone would give this less than a 9/10, and even that's being harsh. The game is a complete masterpiece. It blows my mind that somebody had the audacity to say that it's like a mediocre movie. If you fail to perceive this game's quality then you should not be writing reviews, and you shouldn't even be playing games.

Other developers need to play this game and take notes as I have yet to experience anything of this caliber since Ocarina of Time.

Hell, the lowest critic score is a 74, and the next one up is an 85, so that should tell you something. Other than the glitches that the PC players experience, it's perfect. That's the only thing keeping it from a 12/10. Ocarina of Time is still the best game of its time. But this is one HELL of a runner up.
  99. Sep 7, 2010
    The game is absolutely ea at its best.Bioware did a great job with this game.I loved the graphics and story.Rpg elements are awesome.Overall the game is the best of its kind
  100. Sep 8, 2010
    Rarely does a game come along as special as Mass Effect 2. It is an incredible sequel to an already incredible first game, that picks up proceedings two years after the events on the citadel. What has to be said is the sheer amount of content packed into the game, should the player chose to complete it extensively. There are tens of galaxies to explore, planets to scan, and abnormalities to find and investigate, the game basically plays out exactly how you want it to, with your style of combat, perhaps all guns blazing as a Soldier Class or a more tactical approach as a Biotic, with abilities including levitate and slam, to be able to physically lift enemies out of cover, exposing them to your teams support fire. Speaking of support, Mass Effect 2 has a fantastic range of squad members that become available as you progress in the story and get to know them around the galaxy. Without giving too much away, your new mission to save humanity from a new type of enemy, involves you having to put together a squad, the best of the best, to combat this threat to humanity and the other alien races. You will get to know all of your team with individual missions relating to them, in which you can gain their loyalty and trust, which will make them more focused in missions, and give you a better chance of succeeding. Of course, decision making was always a big part of Mass Effect 1, and things are no different here, with the choices you make pivotal, not just to the game, but also in Mass Effect 3, as your character will carry over to complete the trilogy. If you did happen to complete ME1, which would be highly recommended before starting the second, then your character can be imported into the sequel, looking identical, (apart from new higher textures and the usual graphic updates) and how you played ME1 has a baring on who is alive in the second, and their opinions on you. Some people have criticised the game for losing it's way as an RPG, but I think the balance is perfect between RPG and third person shooter, that fans of both genres will enjoy. Of course, as a third person shooter it is considerably slow paced compared to its rivals, but this just goes to make it more interesting, and add meaning behind what you are trying to achieve. Once you've spent the best part of five hours just talking to your squad, getting their background stories, you do feel an emotional attachment that you will carry with you throughout the missions, this adds to the tension, and the desire, to strive and succeed. Of course everyone will have their favourite squad members, largely dependant on personal preference, and whether or not the player has an attachment through the first game, to characters such as Garus. On to the actual missions, and it has to be said the variety is very good, both in terms of the enemies you will be facing and the beautiful, exotic, and sometimes hazardous planets you will find yourselves in. The developers have obviously thought long and hard about different conditions distant planets could have, and this shows in game with some quite genius ideas. There is one mission on an unstable planet where direct sunlight is too hot to pass, so the player must pass from shade to shade, keeping cool in cover, while battling waves of Geth. That one mission in particular makes you realise your not in home comforts anymore! Other locations include mountainous and snowy planets, exotic tropics with mean jungle vegetation and many more. It's fantastic the detail that has been put into - not only the landscapes - but the skies, they all look distinctly different and whenever you land on a new planet you always find yourselves looking at the constellations in the skies, the moons and shooting starts. Mass Effect 2 truly is a masterpiece, both in story telling and space exploration. It grips you with every mission and also makes you appreciate such detailed story telling, when character dialogue changes mission to mission, based on your choices and the sort of person you are. The RPG elements are still there, just perhaps not as predominantly as they were in the first game, but there is so much content in the game it's not even worth condoning it for going with a more shooter approach. The combat is good, the cover system works well, the weapons have a lot of variety in classes and upgrades, as well as ammo types, such as the ability to freeze enemies and shatter them, or burn them. The variety of enemies always keeps you guessing as to what weapon ammo would be best, depending on if the enemy is protected with shields, armour, or has biotic abilities of it's own. All in all a fantastic sequel that will have you just as deeply attached as the first, and will encapsulate you in your own personal story, with your own unique character and your own unique choices, there is no limit to the outcomes on ME2, and as soon as it's over you'll be begging for ME3 so you can import your character and see out this marvellous series. Expand

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.