8.8

1. Jun 20, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is simply amazing. It has few RPG elements which I realize disappointed a lot of long time Bioware fans but taken objectively it's a beautiful game in almost every way. The dialogue is brilliantly written and preformed by some of the best voice actors in the industry. It's humorous enough to keep you entertained while also serious emphasizing the grandness and scope of yourMass Effect 2 is simply amazing. It has few RPG elements which I realize disappointed a lot of long time Bioware fans but taken objectively it's a beautiful game in almost every way. The dialogue is brilliantly written and preformed by some of the best voice actors in the industry. It's humorous enough to keep you entertained while also serious emphasizing the grandness and scope of your goals. Every character in this game is compelling in their own way and you'll grow very attached to them. The combat mechanics are great, they combined a much more refined version of the industry standard third person cover based shooting but with unique powers that you and your teammates can use to liven up gameplay. Squad controls are much smoother than ME1 and can be used tactically during firefights. Finally the soundtrack is one of the best any video game has to offer it's grand and epic but also sublime at parts. If you haven't played this game yet you owe it to yourself to buy it right away. Expand
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    A perfect game. Plot, combat, characters. Everything was improved from ME1. Some players might find more action and less RPG gameplay disturbing but i like it. Definitelly the best game of ME saga up to date.
  3. Aug 23, 2013
    Shepard is Finally the awesome guy he should have been in ME1 but this game makes more than up for it. It keeps bringing awesome twists to your game by instating new characters as you go along. the road to victory is a hard one for shepard, but in the end its all worth it.
    i'm mrpopo666 and this is my favorite review on metacritic
  4. Efa
    Oct 24, 2013
    It might not be a straight up RPG, but the characters, the action, and the players ability to influence the games progression and ending make this my favorite game ever. A must play!
  5. Oct 21, 2013
    The abundant choices and seeing them impact and unfold as you play the game makes the choices seem meaningful. The combat, however is standard, wonderful game overall.
  6. Nov 1, 2013
    I won't play a game that hasn't sufficiently grabbed my attention. The entire ME series downright stole my attention and warped that way I look at all other games. It's smart, genre-bending, exciting and addictive. I haven't found a game that satisfies as much as ME and I suspect I never will again.
    It means the world to me that the main character doesn't have to be the typical white male. Sheperd is me down to the way she looks and the decisions she makes. The ancillary characters are superb with personalities and singular intentions. I love that I get to chose who to befriend and how much.
    When I finished the ME series, I actually felt pangs of sadness, because I missed the friends I'd made along the way. I missed the fight and missions. So I played again and reshaped the story to go in a different direction. Replay value is through the roof! ME is literally the best game I have ever played.
  7. Jan 2, 2014
    I'm going to come out an say that Mass Effect 2 is overrated. Part of me wants to rate the game lower, but I can't, because the fact is that the game play is fantastic. The combat and level design was VASTLY improved over the first mass effect and made the game much more fun from that perspective.

Despite all the progress made in playability, ME2 takes a major step backward in terms of plot. The game starts off quickly, but could do without the Six Million Dollar Man storyline, which, apart from looking good on Shepard's resume, has almost no impact on the rest of the game OR the sequel. Instead, it's just a plot point used to justify enlisting you in a suspect organization the player cares nothing about, which sends you around the galaxy with a grocery list of dangerous criminals and trained killers that the player also cares nothing about (at first) that Shepard must tirelessly recruit in a series of missions which have little impact on the greater storyline at hand. All this is done while isolating the player from most of the characters that they cared about in the first Mass Effect.

Even still, all this could be used as a plot point, but isn't; the player has no way to express how they feel about the sudden changes from Mass Effect 1 through Shepard, as he/she appears largely indifferent about how the job gets done, so long as it gets done. I was frustrated with the storyline, but no one else appeared to be. The only exception to this is in the Shadow Broker DLC, where Shepard has an opportunity to open up to Liara (btw, this is one of many reasons you should absolutely get this dlc, which is better than the rest of the game, especially if you are pursing a relationship with Liara).

The whole game feels very punch-in, punch-out, until about halfway through when the loyalty quests begin, and the player has a chance to connect with their new squad members and play through some missions that are well thought out and engaging. So, in all fairness, the game does get better as it goes, but it's hard to get through the first 10-15 hours of it, which is a problem. The final mission is particularly wonderful and worth all the slogging. I think Joker says it best himself: Mass Effect 1 wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but Mass Effect 2 is stuck in a weird place.
  8. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    EA published, less RPG feel compared to the first one.

Pros:
    Great characters, great story, nice decision system, fun gameplay, immersive atmosphere, great sci-fi universe, politically charged & nice classes to choose from.
  9. Jun 1, 2014
    By far my favorite game. Fantastic storyline, character development, and gameplay. You get to choose your class as well as everything you say in the game.... pretty amazing piece of art. Good job fellaz.
  10. Apr 24, 2016
    They stripped down all rpg-related mechanics. Gameplay become consolized. Story is OK but has nothing to do with previous part. The choices from ME1 also doesn't matter much, it's mostly cosmetics. So, instead of bigger and better rpg we were given shooter game with choices, that pretends to be role-playing game but it's not. Thanks for making us idiots EA/Bio!!
  11. Mar 20, 2017
    Mass Effect 2 is the second best entry in one of my favorite games. Fantastic writing and gameplay.

Pros + Storytelling + World + The gunplay and engaging in combat seems a lot more improved than in ME1, is more fun and doesn't feel stiff. Cons - Dialogue wheel, I prefer to see texts in sentences to select. - The item management in your inventory is a bit terrible.

Pros

+ Storytelling

+ World

Cons

- Dialogue wheel, I prefer to see texts in sentences to select.

- The item management in your inventory is a bit terrible.

- No looting like in ME1.

- No open planets to explore and no vehicle to drive around on the planets.
  12. Oct 11, 2016
    This is hands-down one of the best games I have ever played in my life. Can't wait to start Mass Effect 3. LOL at the people giving this game a zero. So much character development and lore. Bioware sure the hell know how to tell a phenomenal story. Would give this game an "11" if I could.
  13. JayL
    Mar 17, 2010
    The graphics look quite nice but that's about it. A few of the old characters are back from ME1 but the acting is very wooden and the things that wowed you graphically (like realtime rendered cutscenes) from ME1 just dont cut it now. The game itself is appalling; They've expanded on the really lame things in ME1, you pretty much pick up everything you can like fallout3, you have The graphics look quite nice but that's about it. A few of the old characters are back from ME1 but the acting is very wooden and the things that wowed you graphically (like realtime rendered cutscenes) from ME1 just dont cut it now. The game itself is appalling; They've expanded on the really lame things in ME1, you pretty much pick up everything you can like fallout3, you have no freedom on character advancement. It's all so linear and just an attempt to squeeze a few quid out of some existing code and a title which could have been much better. I can't give this a 0 because it loads and runs ok, but i'm not going over 2 because this game really does have no fun in it at all. Expand
  14. Sep 2, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is a sequel that has been stripped of everything that made the first game enjoyable for me. Reduced to a simple, linear cover based third person shooter with token rpg elements and mini games. The story is the only thing that holds this game up, but it is still a tattered, sorry flag.
  15. DesmondL
    Mar 3, 2010
    Most disappointing game, the graphics and story great!! But this is not RPG anymore, this game is looks like action-adventure or third-person shooter with bit RPG elements!! I played this for 3 hours and i don't see any pure RPG system, only a experience points and talents system!! I feel this sequel is not fun as Mass Effect, not only remove feature from the original game such armor Most disappointing game, the graphics and story great!! But this is not RPG anymore, this game is looks like action-adventure or third-person shooter with bit RPG elements!! I played this for 3 hours and i don't see any pure RPG system, only a experience points and talents system!! I feel this sequel is not fun as Mass Effect, not only remove feature from the original game such armor equipments and its also not same as original game gameplay system. Expand
  16. Apr 24, 2011
    * A Good Sci-Fi story, in a rich Universe (with good characters)
    * A crapy "on rails" third-person shooter
    * Even crapier time-based minigames, with no possibility to regulate their difficulty
    * Terrible level design, which breaks the suspension of disbelief...
  17. Jun 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's been a while since I've played newer video games (as in, the last time was in highschool when I owned a N64), and this series seemed well-regarded. I tried to get into it, browsing through the books, comics, trying to get a sense of the whole expanded universe they tried to create. It's sad to be disappointed. Sure, I'll play the third one, just to see how they will tie it up, but I my hopes are not up.

The first Mass Effect was tedious, but had some charm; this game is really the same, though the source of both the tedium and it's charm is different.

Really, the only thing I liked was the opening sequence and some of the writing, which was miles ahead of the really uninteresting story. The opening held some promise (the space you could see out of the top of the ship, the emergence of the secret group from the first game.), but quickly squandered it.
    I liked talking to Joker, but I hated going on with the story. Every possible dramatic moment (characters dying, etc.) is so obviously avoidable, it was tremendously boring. It was also kind of weird! how cold the relationship between Shepherd and characters from the previous game were, as in, they act cold around each other. Considering that many of the players of this game spent at least a bunch of hours with these characters in the last game, you'd think the developer would consider this. I also despised the way the worlds were divided into mission and non-mission areas: it's true, it was lame how almost every other bass in the first game was one of three designs, but taking dividing combat and "talking" areas is a really horrible idea that makes everything really boring. It takes out the element of surprise that a fight could break out any minute and makes it a much more uniform experience.

Also, I know BioWare already acknowledged this, but I don't know how anybody during the conception of the game could think that the planet mining parts was permissible gameplay. Ugh.

Sure somethings were better in this round: the fighting did feel a lot better, and the actual fighting levels I liked. Again, the actual writing was a bit better, though it was still in b-movie land. The worst part is, considering how singularly boring this plot is, there is no way I can trust any professional reviewer who has claimed that BioWare is the king of "epic storytelling" or something. You obviously have not read enough books, or movies, or music or anything to say such a thing. Unless you mean in video gaming, which means that video games still is a child primarily raised by meat-heads. Well, there goes my first video game review. Alas.
  18. Mar 19, 2012
    Mass Effect was never a clever game but in this sequel it takes a turn for the dumber. RPG mechanics are stripped out but not properly replaced with good TPS mechanics, there was no sense of urgency (which is unforgivable in such a linear game) and the main story was underdeveloped (to be specific it felt like the writers wanted it to be like a movie heist such as Ocean's Eleven but thereMass Effect was never a clever game but in this sequel it takes a turn for the dumber. RPG mechanics are stripped out but not properly replaced with good TPS mechanics, there was no sense of urgency (which is unforgivable in such a linear game) and the main story was underdeveloped (to be specific it felt like the writers wanted it to be like a movie heist such as Ocean's Eleven but there was never any pay-off after assembling the team and nobody had a coherent plan). . As I mentioned before the shooting mechanics aren't particularly good; comparing this game to Gears of War would be an insult to the folks at Gearbox. There are little things like being forced to slap the spacebar all the time and bigger things like the lack of interesting enemies that force you to change your play style. The only redeeming aspects of the game were the little call backs to your saves in the original game and the side characters and squad mates who provided all the game's interest. Unfortunately the small joys provided by the characters aren't enough to offset the fact that most of the time you will be playing an uninspired shooter. Two stars. Expand
  19. May 21, 2011
    I do not want the rpg genre to follow the mass effect direction: oversimplifying every rpg aspect: starting from character creation, through the party management, exploration, combat and storyline part of the game. On top of that the game is ridiculous short, overuses same planet/building over and over again and has no replayability value at all. I also found the loading time between zonesI do not want the rpg genre to follow the mass effect direction: oversimplifying every rpg aspect: starting from character creation, through the party management, exploration, combat and storyline part of the game. On top of that the game is ridiculous short, overuses same planet/building over and over again and has no replayability value at all. I also found the loading time between zones to long. It is a scheme to milk as much dollars from the players as possible with shiny, superficial games full of meaningless pseudo - minigames Expand
  20. GabeT.
    Jan 29, 2010
    -- Graphics -- Great. No anti-aliasing, but that's hardly a complaint. Beautiful environments as well. -- Story -- Very in-depth story development, but also has methods to skip though the lore if you don't want to hear it. Doing so hardly decreases your understanding of what's going on too. One of the few problems of ME2 however is that much of the story and your decisions -- Graphics -- Great. No anti-aliasing, but that's hardly a complaint. Beautiful environments as well. -- Story -- Very in-depth story development, but also has methods to skip though the lore if you don't want to hear it. Doing so hardly decreases your understanding of what's going on too. One of the few problems of ME2 however is that much of the story and your decisions you make are reliant on having played ME1. -- Combat -- Very engaging. Tactics become very useful and the tactical pause is a fun, quick and easy way to do that. Plus, the interface is easy enough so that orchestrating your team is not frustrating. Occasionally your team members will do stupid things like not get into cover, but that's rare, and even when they do, it's easy to still make things work. -- Upgrades/Gear -- Lots of upgrades for armor, weapons, powers and so on. Unfortunately the cost of many of them is pretty steep, forcing perfectionists to mine planets for resources. While mining resources in and of itself can be a fun little mini game, farming upgrade materials can get boring fast. -- Shortcomings -- There are very few problems with ME2 in my opinion. There are a few to note however. 1) You can get stuck in walls more often than one would hope; without a jump key, when this happens you have to load the latest save. 2) The game is a bit short in my opinion; has about 20 hours of game-play to complete the main storyline. There are countless star systems in the game, most of which contain nothing but mine-able planets. I'm pretty sure this is to allow ample room for DLC. -- Conclusion -- Great game. The few flaws it has are greatly overwhelmed by the countless positives. Expand
  21. ZachS.
    Feb 8, 2010
    This game is fun for the first playthrough -- only 14 hours on hard for me | and I did all the side-quests I could find, personally I think that there was a lack of those. I very much loved the first ME, it had a very good RPG replay value for different loot and different armor types. In this one, that value is non-existent. You only have one armor "type" which you can upgrade, no armor This game is fun for the first playthrough -- only 14 hours on hard for me | and I did all the side-quests I could find, personally I think that there was a lack of those. I very much loved the first ME, it had a very good RPG replay value for different loot and different armor types. In this one, that value is non-existent. You only have one armor "type" which you can upgrade, no armor or shield value differences really, you only get to choose between two different weapons of each type, one of which is obviously superior in all situations. It really posed no challenge to me, and I'm really surprised that Bioware would dumb down this series the way that they did. The AI is all-around stupid. Your teammates look like they are in pre-school compared to your enemies. I wish I could actually find someone besides Garrus and Legion who know how to shoot a gun correctly. The storyline is like this - gather your team - do their sidequests - have sex with one of them - then go destroy the collectors. Not really an RPG in my book, which was what I was expecting when I bought this since it was in the category of RPG. Expand
  22. Feb 8, 2011
    I liked the story and combat but that's about it. The RPG element isn't there, the characters are pretty limited in abilities/weapons, the programing isn't all that good either. I get stuck in the air and in cut scenes characters would be spinning, and there was a fair deal of crashes to desktop. I cant say that this is a good game but it isn't completely worthless. Play it once throughI liked the story and combat but that's about it. The RPG element isn't there, the characters are pretty limited in abilities/weapons, the programing isn't all that good either. I get stuck in the air and in cut scenes characters would be spinning, and there was a fair deal of crashes to desktop. I cant say that this is a good game but it isn't completely worthless. Play it once through and be done with it, I don't see what big hype was with this game, it's average at best. Expand
  23. TroutMonkey
    Feb 6, 2010
    The story and dialog are once again top notch, and the firefights are alot more involving and epic than last time. It only drops to 9 because of a few downfalls. The inventory system, while alot easier to use has probably been dumbed down too much (don't blame console players, the original was a console exclusive to start with). The story also suffers from being the 'middle The story and dialog are once again top notch, and the firefights are alot more involving and epic than last time. It only drops to 9 because of a few downfalls. The inventory system, while alot easier to use has probably been dumbed down too much (don't blame console players, the original was a console exclusive to start with). The story also suffers from being the 'middle child', and the final moments never feel as epic as the originals ending. Its also alot shorter than the first, as most of your time will instaed be spent doing various side missions to recruit party members or help them once you have done so. The actual Collecters narative being quite short. I also notice alot of texture collisions, and a couple of glitches. In summary I really love this game, and will play through ME again just to see how your different decisions affect the story. I felt dissapointed at the end, not because it was bad, but because I wanted more! Expand
  24. Michaelj
    Feb 3, 2010
    Great game. just misses a 10 in my book. the minigames are fine, something like that will never be super excting to me. they found another extreme direction to take the inventory system in. I like it because you don't have to worry about the 150 item cap, but it leaves you feeling let down that there is only two of any type of gun(one of which is clearly better than the other). the Great game. just misses a 10 in my book. the minigames are fine, something like that will never be super excting to me. they found another extreme direction to take the inventory system in. I like it because you don't have to worry about the 150 item cap, but it leaves you feeling let down that there is only two of any type of gun(one of which is clearly better than the other). the armor customization is spot on though, too bad it was only on shepherd.. the story: the game is really about building your team, it's rewarding but the collectors story line is relativly short. I pray to god that this is the team you go into ME3 with because it felt like all I did was recruit and then the game ended. Please Bioware, don't make me do it again. Everything else about this game is a 10. Combat is more refined, sound and voice acting is great, the side missions were just as good. It does make you want ME3 to come out tomorrow. Expand
  25. Jan 10, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 has the worst continuation of story in any sci-fi. It destroyed the lore of Mass Effect 1, made main antagonists into brain dead morons, and it actually serves no point, because we didn't learn anything really important in it, for example, how to stop the reapers or how to unite a galaxy against this threat and so on and fourth. The beginning just happened and later on noMass Effect 2 has the worst continuation of story in any sci-fi. It destroyed the lore of Mass Effect 1, made main antagonists into brain dead morons, and it actually serves no point, because we didn't learn anything really important in it, for example, how to stop the reapers or how to unite a galaxy against this threat and so on and fourth. The beginning just happened and later on no further themes of this "revival" weren't addressed nor the whole process explained. Shepard died and got resurrected, just to serve the plot, it adds no meaning nor change to main characters character, Shepard seems to be just a static brick. Overall, the storyline was not good, at all.
    Other problems contains game mechanics and oversimplification of RPG elements and lore breaking transition from unique concept of weapon mechanics to general ammo clips. Exploration is also dumped down to boring planet search minigame. Customization was improved on some parts, but overall it was also majorly oversimplified and generalized. They really tried to push this game to general audience, which they shouldn't have been doing in the first place.
    ME2 marks the beginning of the complete wreckage for the whole franchise, ME3 being the second mark on that path. This game shows how lack of attention to the detail and story can destroy the potential of interesting and engaging lore.
  26. Nov 17, 2011
    Great game with a nice cinematic like gameplay and beautiful graphics. You can play it through multiple times and experience new things each time, and especially learning about your teammates is interesting. The only negative side is balancing the different classes, but at least they simplified the character developement/stats from the first game, and also made the item system work byGreat game with a nice cinematic like gameplay and beautiful graphics. You can play it through multiple times and experience new things each time, and especially learning about your teammates is interesting. The only negative side is balancing the different classes, but at least they simplified the character developement/stats from the first game, and also made the item system work by removing the constant looting and checking details of every item to get the strongest character. They also made side quests interesting, as it is not just a visit to a random planet/moon where you kill some guys and leaves (the fist game, red). Every action has consequences and it is a brilliant rpg. Can't wait for the third game next year where my Shepard will save the universe once again! Expand
  27. May 14, 2012
    The start of the BEST story-driven trilogy in gaming history. It literally rivals Star Wars in terms of history / content. You'd be a fool not to play this game.
  28. Nov 12, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is the perfect evolution in the Mass Effect series. It's bigger, bolder and more polished. The gunplay is more refined and more enjoyable than Mass Effect 1. Graphics are amazing as well as the sound. The only downside is the lack of emphasis on RPG aspects. If you enjoyed inventory management, huge range of powers, upgrading individual guns in Mass Effect, they are nowhereMass Effect 2 is the perfect evolution in the Mass Effect series. It's bigger, bolder and more polished. The gunplay is more refined and more enjoyable than Mass Effect 1. Graphics are amazing as well as the sound. The only downside is the lack of emphasis on RPG aspects. If you enjoyed inventory management, huge range of powers, upgrading individual guns in Mass Effect, they are nowhere to be found in Mass Effect 2. In a sense, this makes the series more accessible. Mass Effect 2 contains even more hard choices than its previous installment. A must play for any Mass Effect or shooter fan with a superb story! Expand
  29. Nov 14, 2011
    If you thought that the fist one was the winner than you didn't play Mass Effect 2! Absolutely stunning! Universe just got bigger and more alive! Bunch of great missions to do. Your ship just got twice bigger so did your crew! Yes they striped away some of the RPG elements from the first one. But honestly I don't miss them! Great game is great game. It's more action packed now which is okIf you thought that the fist one was the winner than you didn't play Mass Effect 2! Absolutely stunning! Universe just got bigger and more alive! Bunch of great missions to do. Your ship just got twice bigger so did your crew! Yes they striped away some of the RPG elements from the first one. But honestly I don't miss them! Great game is great game. It's more action packed now which is ok with me! Still plenty of guys/gals and aliens to talk to in game! Loved it so much bought it for PS3 game of the year edition as well!! Expand
  30. Nov 17, 2011
    Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are excellent games and well worth the purchase. The games have a wonderfully crafted story which is very well presented. The characters are memorable for their stories and are very well acted. Some of the Downloadable Content is very good, my favorites were Shadow Broker, Overlord and Stolen Memory in that order each added several hours of play time and theMass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are excellent games and well worth the purchase. The games have a wonderfully crafted story which is very well presented. The characters are memorable for their stories and are very well acted. Some of the Downloadable Content is very good, my favorites were Shadow Broker, Overlord and Stolen Memory in that order each added several hours of play time and the boss battle at the end of Shadow Broker was a refreshing departure from previous bosses. The environments all look and feel unique which is a great step from the recycled optional environments from the original. There is so much good about the game it merits atleast 2 play throughs do you can make different choices and try both renegade and paragon approaches. Where the game could use some improvement is minor and very subjective. Combat is great but the enemies are not all that varied. The first boss figh in the game is recycled several times which gets boring but it is usually only on the optional missions where this is seen. More equipment customization would be nice since the only real option is 2 armor suits some different head gear and the guns (of which there are many). I would have liked to see planet exploration from the first game make a come back but it was not all that disappointing. Overall this is a great game with excellet DLC and well worth full price let alone what ever you can get it for now. Expand
  31. Nov 29, 2011
    Well I thought that Mass Effect 1 was a great game.... until I played Mass Effect 2. Every aspect of the game feels better once you get used to it. For example cover is much more useful and is easier to use. There is one big difference between ME and ME2 and that is the introduction of Thermal clips (read ammo). There are also some small details such as time freezing being mapped to shiftWell I thought that Mass Effect 1 was a great game.... until I played Mass Effect 2. Every aspect of the game feels better once you get used to it. For example cover is much more useful and is easier to use. There is one big difference between ME and ME2 and that is the introduction of Thermal clips (read ammo). There are also some small details such as time freezing being mapped to shift instead of space-bar by default. Expand
  32. Nov 28, 2011
    The game doesn't show true RPG elements, but, who cares? The decisions, gameplay and well made characters is enough to make you enjoy this game. Wonderful RP game where you can truly shape more or less your adventure.
  33. May 6, 2011
    This game really has to get two scores. If you play on normal difficulty, like I did my first play through, then it's great. Great story, game play, action, character depth, pretty much does everything right and it earns a solid 8. Play it the second play through on Insanity difficulty and suddenly its a game riddled with bugs and as such id score it a 1. Buggy games drive me crazy andThis game really has to get two scores. If you play on normal difficulty, like I did my first play through, then it's great. Great story, game play, action, character depth, pretty much does everything right and it earns a solid 8. Play it the second play through on Insanity difficulty and suddenly its a game riddled with bugs and as such id score it a 1. Buggy games drive me crazy and I think far far less of an otherwise good game for having them. What causes this discrepancy? On the top level of difficulty the enemies hit hard, really hard. This means you have to act fast and use cover, always, every time. Two problems pop up, first when you turn quickly your character will have a tendency to become detached from the game world and float in the air or suddenly get stuck on top of objects. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be called repeatable and definitive. Second problem is cover. While on normal the few times you ducked and hid it probably worked fine. Now, you are ducking and hiding everywhere, fast and frequently. This causes the many surfaces to reveal their true nature where your character will not hide completely and you'll get shot through an object, or your character won't lean out the correct direction and you'll be left open to get shot. There are many many glitched cover surfaces that cause a variety of issues with game play. Besides that there are also a few other bugs present like quests that you can't complete that don't end up affecting anything and also a game killing bug where your game will have a critical crash and close if you change your ability hot keys in combat (there is a quick hotkey UI with bad programming). These very prevalent bugs cause the game heavy problems because they get you killed when you should otherwise be alive. So, all told id give the game a 4. Great story, so so game play that is very dependent on the difficulty setting as to how decent it is and released, yet never fixed, with a repeatable bug that will cause a fatal error. Expand
  34. Goekhan
    Feb 2, 2010
    Mass Effect 1 was a challenge. And the results are an unique game. But Mass Effect 2 scraps and gets rid of many things that made Mass Effect 1 unique. If ME2 was the first game, not a sequel I mean, I'd be giving it a 10, but seeing how they "destroyed" the game, for sake of graphics, atmosphere, and sound effects, only deserves a 3.
  35. DavidN
    Jan 29, 2010
    I hate the scanning and the boring minigames. This sequel is no fun with a capitol N. No Journal or Map keys. Fighting is so frustrating. No crouch key. Gun sounds are rather tinny. Story weak. This was rushed out and dumbed down for the $$$$. PC version is a terrible disappointment. Not even worth even 1 point so I've given it ZERO. Bioware are catering to console users and the PC I hate the scanning and the boring minigames. This sequel is no fun with a capitol N. No Journal or Map keys. Fighting is so frustrating. No crouch key. Gun sounds are rather tinny. Story weak. This was rushed out and dumbed down for the $$$$. PC version is a terrible disappointment. Not even worth even 1 point so I've given it ZERO. Bioware are catering to console users and the PC version was just an after thought for the $$. No attempt was made to make this any fun at all. Expand
  36. PaulC
    Mar 2, 2010
    YOu meet some baddies. You press some buttons. It doesn't really matter which ones you press. Keep pressing them till the baddy is dead. There are other characters that you control, but they rarely do what you ask them, and often just stand in your way. So press some more buttons. Even on the PC this game REEKS of console. It has the depth of spit puddle and the gameplay you would YOu meet some baddies. You press some buttons. It doesn't really matter which ones you press. Keep pressing them till the baddy is dead. There are other characters that you control, but they rarely do what you ask them, and often just stand in your way. So press some more buttons. Even on the PC this game REEKS of console. It has the depth of spit puddle and the gameplay you would exepct by a game developed to be played with the massive limitations of a joypad. I'm told that this is a great console game. I wish it would have stayed on the consoles, becasue it's a very VERY shallow PC game. OS developers! If I'd wanted to listen to hour after hour of spoken cutscenes - i'd a have rented a DVD not bought a game. "BANG BANG BANG MC Fly - Gameplay McFly" ..it's a GAME..The clue is in the genre game = gameplay not hours of listening to an annenoidal retard mumble through hours of text. I don't suppose we'll ever see a game like Baldurs Gate 2 again. Just shallow twitch games like this junk Expand
  37. Dec 17, 2010
    This game obviously has the taint of a product acquired by and developed under EA. It seems undercut, uninspired and super linear and super short. Mass Effect 1 was really a great game and this was deprived of all the things that made ME1 fantastic:
    * Great story
    * Unlimited Ammo * Large selection of stuff to buy * Really cool ATV * Tons of side quests that kept the game interesting The
    * Great story
    * Unlimited Ammo
    * Large selection of stuff to buy
    * Really cool ATV
    * Tons of side quests that kept the game interesting

The only things that really give merit to ME2 is:
    * Customizable equipment
    * Weapon Proficiency

If you want to swim in ME1 nostalgia go ahead and buy this game, it seems to have the aesthetic theme. But you will be upset with the result. This game is almost as boring as Dragon Age: Origins, at least I get to move around and shoot things. Adds some interest...
  38. sfsf
    Feb 2, 2010
    The most undeservedly over hyped game of the month award. It's also a strong contender for the 'most boring gameplay in years' award. Not that it's a surprise really, it's pretty much a regular thing now for the entire games industry media to suck up to the game developers in order to get that vital advertising contract/payola. Did I really just give this game a The most undeservedly over hyped game of the month award. It's also a strong contender for the 'most boring gameplay in years' award. Not that it's a surprise really, it's pretty much a regular thing now for the entire games industry media to suck up to the game developers in order to get that vital advertising contract/payola. Did I really just give this game a 1? I guess so. You see the reality is, there are good games out there. Even ones that get hyped up (Uncharted 2 for example). What I object to is the almost blanket '10/10 review' style anyone who likes a game feels the need to give it. Why should I care? Because of course it's up to us as players to counter the 'paid websites' and the 'shill reviewers' with the truth. The truth, as far as ME2 goes, is that it's one of the single most boring games in relation to it's 'stunning' reviews in some time. Other games (popular/hyped ones) that I've given very low scores to (Bioshock - terrible game play/all flash) (MW2 - no explanation needed) I did so because they plainly sucked on so many levels and yet were getting universal praise from professional critics. ME2 is similar except, it is actually far worse in many ways than those 2 games I've just mentioned. While it it certainly 'everything you normally require' in a game, it is also extremely 'space opera by the numbers'... dull, clinical, lacking soul, lacking fun game play. It's all about the ME universe (and it's fans), it's not about striving for gaming nirvana or exciting the player with immersion and empowering interaction. On a number of levels this game is extremely dated, from level design to texturing, from boring dumbed down RPG elements to mediocre shooting mechanics (Hey they TRIED to copy U2, Gears of War etc but failed badly.. here it just feels clunky). A review is just another opinion, so if hearing 'my' version of the truth offends you please down rate me and go back to enjoying your 'game'. I won't play along with the industry hype machine when a game this 'massive' and well reviewed is a bona-fide snooze fest to play. The problem is all the cut scenes, while well intended, are just lacking in emotion so anyone with half a brain ends up bored of them, thinking 'yes yes we've been told this particular cliched story a hundred times before in both games and movies now please let me play'... and then when you do play you find an extremely dated linear style corridor shooter. Seriously there are B-grade FPS games from 2002 that feel more fun to play than this. The mini games (hacking/scanning etc) are beyond tedious... did these developers not read about how mind numbing that kind of stuff is when looking at reviews of other games that contained them? It's 2010 and this over hyped thing is using mini game cliches still? Overall the game lacks a certain focus, and a heart. It's dull, it's not that it does anything extremely 'wrong' it's just a very very 'safe' game for a very average audience. The fact it's action portion feels like a poor man's Gears/Uncharted2 only serves to highlight that my time is better spent playing other games. I'm certain a massive amount of people who lap this stuff up only do so because of the 10/10 ratings, then hate to admit to themselves it's not actually any fun. The feeling I got from playing this game is it's a cold, by the numbers, play it safe game that doesn't have a true identity. It's neither good RPG nor good action shooter, in fact it's a really bad one of either of those. Mixing 2 bad attempts at different genres will not cancel out the badness... in my opinion it just amplifies it. If you want a TPS that rocks and has tight gameplay then look elsewhere, if you want an RPG that immerses you and excites you, look elsewhere, if you want an epic space story that feels involving and dramatic (and not overdone) look elsewhere, if you want great level design and beautiful art direction.... look elsewhere. If you want to have fun, for £40+ do yourself a favour and LOOK ELSEWHERE. Expand
  39. May 26, 2011
    Hmm, how should I begin? ME1 was a blast. The story, inventory, choices, teams, exploration...and now in ME2, all the stuffs that made ME1 terrific has been disposed. And all those big gaming magazines praising this sequel with 9/10, 94/100 like scores. >.> I wonder if Bioware actually bribed them to give high scores to ME2... That's why I never read their criticisms. You gotta search forHmm, how should I begin? ME1 was a blast. The story, inventory, choices, teams, exploration...and now in ME2, all the stuffs that made ME1 terrific has been disposed. And all those big gaming magazines praising this sequel with 9/10, 94/100 like scores. >.> I wonder if Bioware actually bribed them to give high scores to ME2... That's why I never read their criticisms. You gotta search for the actual gamer to have a good introspection. And majority of the PEOPLE here would probably agree with me, as I agree with their comments. ME2 is far away from being an RPG game. And I give it 4/10, all for the sake of ME1. And the mixed comments about gameplay, graphics, characters and such are pretty much similar elsewhere. Mine too: the game is short, the story is not well developed, inventory is poor, choices of Shepard does not necessarily have effects within the game, but expected to have effects in ME3? You see how Bioware gets away with this? Thus what I will add to those nagtive and mixed comments is also gonna be my criticism of Bioware's hardline capitalistic policy in robbing people's money and stirring a "mass" anticipation for the third ME game. Now, they promise that if we buy those DLC games additionally, we'll have an idea about ME3 - DLC PRODUCTION HAS BECOME THE VILEST TACTIC IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY. Keep the game short and dully, and release some DLCs and stir up more anticipation. Surely, gamers will "buy" it! With additional cash flowing in Bioware accounts.....

Should I say don't buy ME2? I don't think I can, cos now you already played ME1, you liked it, and now you want to see the end of it. You're surely gonna buy ME2, no matter how linear and mediocre it is. Because it is a bridge to the final game that is expected to have very high climaxes. And Bioware will have the cream of the business while experimenting RPG and FPS with ME2. ME2 is thus a rather experimental game and I hope that Bioware takes these negative criticisms into account, since they're mostly given by seasoned, experienced gamers!
  40. MikeS.
    Jan 27, 2010
    The characters and story are far weaker in this farther cliched sequel. The gameplay is better, but that just brings it to average now with the terrible level design. At least it's not a terrible TPS anymore it's average. Gathering resources is boring, weapons don't pack a punch, it all gets repetitive pretty soon. The last boss in another disappointment, the AI is The characters and story are far weaker in this farther cliched sequel. The gameplay is better, but that just brings it to average now with the terrible level design. At least it's not a terrible TPS anymore it's average. Gathering resources is boring, weapons don't pack a punch, it all gets repetitive pretty soon. The last boss in another disappointment, the AI is terrible, the direction is meh. Ultimately Mass Effect 2 is obviously more cinematic with higher off the roof production values. However, the story is pretty lame this time around as well as the characters. Expand
  41. StevenH
    Feb 20, 2010
    GOOD STUFF: added locational damage in battles, made enemy fire more dangerous, gave more customization within skills, more (compelling) dialogue, added conversation interrupts, added new special class abilities, added a great amount of graphical detail, game has less running and more doing than the first, as well as being longer, it is no longer necessary to spend 5 hours driving to pick GOOD STUFF: added locational damage in battles, made enemy fire more dangerous, gave more customization within skills, more (compelling) dialogue, added conversation interrupts, added new special class abilities, added a great amount of graphical detail, game has less running and more doing than the first, as well as being longer, it is no longer necessary to spend 5 hours driving to pick up collection quests for negligible experience, more romance options, more fully realized Mass Effect universe, visible blood when you shoot enemies, more choices that seem to matter (though they are still thin), can sprint whenever you want, made weapons more diverse in function, no more omni-gelling inventory items every time you open the menu, the game only requires a DVD check now rather than installing DRM or requiring Steam (at last), and more consistent quality throughout the game rather than highly cinematic sequences followed by 20 minutes of bouncing around on an empty planet. BAD STUFF: scanning is terribly boring, armor options are too simplified although they still work, face customization is still weak, and now you can't even add scars, many of the characters are aggressive and vulgar just for the sake of seeming adult but instead come off like 7 year olds learning new words, consistent collision bugs where you get stuck on waist-high objects or levitate into the air, biotics are basically useless unless they are reave or the enemy has no armor (basically, on low difficulties), they hired a bunch of famous voice actors for no reason other than to throw money around, all powers now have universal cool down, meaning if you change ammo then you must catch your breath before using another ability for some reason, storm speed has slowed down tremendously, the retcon of the ammo system makes no sense, the retcon of the kinetic barrier system makes no sense, the minigames for unlocking get old fast and you can no longer omni-gel them, there are no vehicles whatsoever, the "mission complete" screens smack of Doom, teammate AI is as stupid as ever, running headlong into fire, insanity is unreasonably hard at the beginning of a New Game+ with a level 30 character (it gets easier), it's much easier to reach the level cap in this game (can probably be done in 10 hours, seriously), it is excessively difficult on a new game to get enough credits to fully upgrade - apparently Cerberus has enough money to resurrect someone and pay them for menial tasks like rescuing quarians but not enough to buy a handful of weapon modifications, being a fully renegade character is still completely unreasonable as you can fare better by being a crazy naive paragon idiot (like in all Bioware games), and persuasion is now based on your paragon/renegade scores rather than your actual ability. Personally I find the game better than the first, although slightly. You can decide for yourself. Expand
  42. Oct 2, 2010
    Usually in a trilogy the weakest part is the second part, but boy the rules do not apply here. This game is a masterpiece a classic a game that will be talked about for years and years to come. Even if you do not care to play the first game(which I recommend you do) you will still enjoy this game greatly. The only downside is having to wait for ME3 for the conclusion of this trilogy!
  43. Aug 9, 2011
    The perfect game, more than Mass Effect. Graphics, sound, combat system, story, cinematic animations, missions... all is wonderful. I think this is one of the best gaming experience in the history. Congratulations Bioware
  44. Mar 19, 2011
    The perfect game, more than Mass Effect. Graphics, sound, combat system, story, cinematic animations, background, missions... they are great. Congratulations Bioware!
  45. Apr 4, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is the most engaging RPG I have played to date. Having never played the first Mass Effect I was afraid I would be lost jumping in to what I had learned to be an intended trilogy. That was not the case. Bioware did a fantastic job of establishing Mass Effect 2 as its own story while giving the player a feeling of deep historical conflicts in a very active world. Having theMass Effect 2 is the most engaging RPG I have played to date. Having never played the first Mass Effect I was afraid I would be lost jumping in to what I had learned to be an intended trilogy. That was not the case. Bioware did a fantastic job of establishing Mass Effect 2 as its own story while giving the player a feeling of deep historical conflicts in a very active world. Having the ability to choose your own spoken dialogue within the trademarked Bioware dialogue wheel connects players in a way never before experienced. Playing through this game really gives you the feeling that the choices you make matter (because they do) and that you are the star of your own epic journey. For me, the shooter-esque gameplay is secondary to Mass Effects remarkable interactive adventure. The player is in control be it good or bad, and your decisions impact the game flow and dictate morality. What I mostly love about Bioware games is that they don't just give you the choice of good vs evil, in some instances, the choice boils down to which is the greater good, or which is the greater evil. Beyond that, some situations just put the player in a real moral dilemma with no clear right or wrong. All in all, whether you are an RPG fan, or Joe Customer looking for an all inclusive gameplay experience, Biowares Mass Effect series is hands down one of the greatest video game achievements to grace the senses of game enthusiasts. I for one, cannot wait till Bioware releases their third and final installment of the series titles Mass Effect 3 late 2011. If you are looking for a gaming experience, full of twists and turns, redemption and peril, this game will not disappoint. 9.5/10 , I'll be saving my perfect score for what I presume ME3 will undoubtedly deliver. Expand
  46. May 1, 2011
    Too empty for an RPG, too branching for a shooter, Mass Effect 2 sits in a genre all it's own. I'll admit, when it first came out, I thought Mass Effect 2 was just a lousy attempt by Bioware to make money, but with the new free DLC, it began to look like something good. With all the DLC that Bioware's released, it's finally a good game.
  47. Jan 23, 2012
    ...:::GAME OF THE DECADE:::...

An epic intergalactic experience that'll totally blow you away..
    This game just totally rocked my world

Must buy if you love the sci-fi genre!!
  48. Mar 18, 2012
    Simply mindblowing! Mass Effect 2 is much darker than the first one in its atmosphere and more of a cyberpunk. It gives off the same vibe as the Deus Ex series. I'd even go as far and to say that perhaps it is even more immersive and engrossing than ME1.
    I loved the first Mass Effect and I wondered how the second could possibly top it. Well, it has managed to improve on a lot of aspects from the first one, even though it did dumb down a little bit on the RPG element. Now you no longer have a huge inventory full of weapons and their upgrades. In some ways this is good, because you no longer need to spend time cleaning your inventory off the useless stuff, but on the other hand the game lost out on a lot of customization aspects. Mass Effect 2 is a lot more of a squad oriented shooter than the first one was. It improved a lot on the shooter aspect of the gameplay, like making the cover system better, the weapons are more fun to use, and generally the gameplay feels fresher and more polished. Just as with the first game, Mass Effect 2 is incredibly immersive. Not only do you get to travel all over the galaxy again and completing quests, but this time you have 10 team members (plus 2 more with DLCs) instead of 6. Although it might seem a lot, but each and every one of those characters is captivating and has been developed superbly. Although the main plot is not as much the focus of the game as it was in ME1, the game does not lose out here, because the story is more character-driven. You get to recruit each and every team member separately, and additionally you can also do a loyalty mission for each of them, which helps to uncover more of their background and you get to really know what makes each of them tick. On the romance front you have a lot more choice than in the first game too. The galaxy exploration aspect has improved as well. Now you get to actually scan each planet manually and harvest resources from it, which you then need to use on upgrades to your weapons, armor, and ship. I also want to mention that I was incredibly impressed with the final mission. "Epic" is simply not good enough of a word to describe that finale. The whole team is involved in that mission, and this is something I felt that the first game missed out upon. I am glad ME2 had the finale that it deserved. The mission was so intense that I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Your decisions in that mission could have huge effects on whether your teammates would survive or not. It is one of the most dramatic and most memorable moments of video gaming for me. And so to conclude, I'd say that Mass Effect 2 is almost perfect of a game. Sure, it might've lost some of the RPG feel that the first game had, but it's amazing in its own right. It did not remove the good stuff. It simply replaced it with something different. The only thing I can nitpick on is that the same button is used for taking cover, running, and interacting with stuff, so at times you might for example want to run, but Shepard will start talking to a nearby person instead, or you might accidentally take cover on the wrong side of the object in the middle of a gunfight. But that is a very minor nitpick and does not detract from the mindblowingly divine experience this game will provide you with. It's only been a day since I completed it and I am already longing to replay the game, so I started a new playthrough. That is how addictive it is.
  49. Feb 11, 2012
    If you still don't know MASS EFFECT, you should... Its all a RPG action game should be. To travel in many areas of the galaxy exploring, (like it would be with that technology), researching, doing espionage, rescue infiltration and search and destroy missions is extremely entertaining in this title. It makes the first title to look slow in combat and other elements (inventory and creditsIf you still don't know MASS EFFECT, you should... Its all a RPG action game should be. To travel in many areas of the galaxy exploring, (like it would be with that technology), researching, doing espionage, rescue infiltration and search and destroy missions is extremely entertaining in this title. It makes the first title to look slow in combat and other elements (inventory and credits makes it slow a bit), funny is that MASS EFFECT 1 is very entertaining, innovative and fun as well, but the second is awesome!! If MASS EFFECT 3 surpasses the second the same way it did to the first, we are not going to see another game so good in years to come, it will elevate you gaming experience. The DLC material is very good indeed and worth every penny spent, believe it, you dont want to leave it out of you gameplay. I singed up metacritic because of it and to warn you against the negative score that seemed nonsense. The mixed opinions are related to their taste for games.Im a big fan of STAR WARS games movies, magazines, toys and other, but everything that born must die a some day. MASS EFFECT came in that way. Expand
  50. GordonF.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Words cannot describe the my awe-struck expression as I played. Brilliant, unbelievable, a masterpiece.
  51. WDI
    Jan 29, 2010
    The PC version is an absolute garbage, controls are sluggish, UI is not adapted for mouse. For instance you cant double click to select items from a menu. Story and especially characters is quite good. On the minus side, it is very linear, small ( the citadel is now the size of a tennis court ). Fights are better than ME1 but repetitive. It is well produced and definitively worth a look.I The PC version is an absolute garbage, controls are sluggish, UI is not adapted for mouse. For instance you cant double click to select items from a menu. Story and especially characters is quite good. On the minus side, it is very linear, small ( the citadel is now the size of a tennis court ). Fights are better than ME1 but repetitive. It is well produced and definitively worth a look.I would rate it 7+ but minus 1 for the horrible PC port. Expand
  52. MikeP
    Feb 8, 2010
    45 hours of the best that video games has to offer; only a few flaws. I found that some of the pathing for my crew mates in certain missions(non-crucial ones) was a little wonky; and secondly, why can't I save my game more towards the end?!?! So needlessly frustrating! I think they know people will keep doing it over until they get it "right". I liked the customization system, but if 45 hours of the best that video games has to offer; only a few flaws. I found that some of the pathing for my crew mates in certain missions(non-crucial ones) was a little wonky; and secondly, why can't I save my game more towards the end?!?! So needlessly frustrating! I think they know people will keep doing it over until they get it "right". I liked the customization system, but if they had merged it with the inventory system from the first game I would have been ecstatic. I have to agree that the ending missions(no matter how many times I had to play through it to get it "right") and the ending is the best I've seen, ever. At least so far in a video game. Oddly (or rightfully) enough Dragon Age: Origins is right underneath it. Expand
  53. DaveG
    Mar 5, 2010
    It's not bad. It ain't an RPG though, and that's what's bummed me out more than anything. 3rd person shooter with a few choices of weapon. If this game had called itself a 3rd person shooter i'd have given it 6 - maybe 7. but I felt cheated cause it called itself an RPG, and it just aint an RPG at all. If even bioware don't do rpg's anymore, and now It's not bad. It ain't an RPG though, and that's what's bummed me out more than anything. 3rd person shooter with a few choices of weapon. If this game had called itself a 3rd person shooter i'd have given it 6 - maybe 7. but I felt cheated cause it called itself an RPG, and it just aint an RPG at all. If even bioware don't do rpg's anymore, and now FFxiii turns out to be another on rails shooter. well there just ain't no single player rpg's left is there. Expand
  54. Jul 2, 2011
    First, ME2 has brilliant production values. The art design is amazing and the presentation is stellar, like most BioWare games. But strip away all that, and you have a very lacking game, sadly. Missions are greatly stripped down compared to ME1, and even character interaction is "streamlined" for the sake of "accessibility". Actual driving was replaced with a load screen...physicallyFirst, ME2 has brilliant production values. The art design is amazing and the presentation is stellar, like most BioWare games. But strip away all that, and you have a very lacking game, sadly. Missions are greatly stripped down compared to ME1, and even character interaction is "streamlined" for the sake of "accessibility". Actual driving was replaced with a load screen...physically finding minerals was replaced with the infamous mini-game...weapon customization was removed...how is this progress? But the biggest crime is the story...it's totally contrived. Nobody can explain why the bad guys did what they did...the end boss made no sense and was never explained. Where's Saren when you need him... So sorry to say but ME2 has suffered the BioWare effect where they take a great game and make the sequel vastly inferior in order to misguidedly appeal to the "masses". Well this "masses" effect is NOT making things better. ME2 is still a great game...just fatally flawed and is more of a tragicomedy than its developers realize. I score it a 3 compared to ME1, 8 or 9 compared to most games, and a 7 overall. Expand
  55. Jan 3, 2011
    Greatest game ever dudes!!Graphics awesome,the best story,characters are perfect and so much more!!don't listen to the haters cause you will miss the Best game!!!
  56. Oct 10, 2011
    1. Bioware is a big dog dev, so all the advertising reviewers must give more than what it really deserve to get more ad money from them. (i.e. After giving bad review on square enix game kane and lynch 2, one of GS reviewers were fired.)

2. This is no longer an innovative TPS RPG hybrid once ME1 tried. This is average at best 3rd person cover shooter with stupid A.I. (If you want top notch 3rd psn cover shooter gears of war is the answer.)

3. Story is shallow as hell, almost no sidequest, no world exploration, linear story without any meaningful plot variations. repetitive combat, surprisingly stiff/ limited character animation for action game.

4. Cinematic graphic presentation and SF concept/ artwork and some cool biotic skill effect is the only things that save this mediocre cover shooter from rated more than what it really deserves.

Conclusion : cool SF concept art/ cool biotic skill effect will deceive your mind but underneath the shiny shallow shell, there's plenty of mediocrity of gameplay and contents at its heart.
  57. Mar 12, 2011
    Fantastic game. Different from the first, but great in it's own way. People are afraid of change and that's what this game did. Mass Effect 2 separated itself from the first Mass Effect giving players another great 50+ hour game. I have no complaints whatsoever about ME2, I highly recommend it. But, if you happen to be one of these "I hate change, make the game how I want it" type ofFantastic game. Different from the first, but great in it's own way. People are afraid of change and that's what this game did. Mass Effect 2 separated itself from the first Mass Effect giving players another great 50+ hour game. I have no complaints whatsoever about ME2, I highly recommend it. But, if you happen to be one of these "I hate change, make the game how I want it" type of players, then move along this might not be for you. Expand
  58. Sep 3, 2011
    OMG BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Love love love love it!!!! I really like what they have done with this new installment, I mean i love the whole franchise but, it really just gets better everytime i play it lol.
  59. Mar 21, 2011
    Simply the best game ever. You will never find a game with a better story line. Period. The graphics make your eyes want to tear up, the story makes you want to never quite player (and you won't) and impact of your decisions are felt throughout the game. An absolute must have. Anyone dissing this game has issues. It has one nearly every single award out there for a reason.
  60. Jun 21, 2011
    First off, I want to point out the stupidity of Users giving low scores at the moment. Almost all are giving it a low score because they release DLC's. Thats like criticising an author for releasing each of his books individually over 5 years instead of putting them in a 1000 page omnibus. Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece. A symphony of stunning graphics, sublime voice acting, innovativeFirst off, I want to point out the stupidity of Users giving low scores at the moment. Almost all are giving it a low score because they release DLC's. Thats like criticising an author for releasing each of his books individually over 5 years instead of putting them in a 1000 page omnibus. Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece. A symphony of stunning graphics, sublime voice acting, innovative gameplay, incredibly gripping non-linear story and a rich sci-fi universe, brimming with lively characters. This will go down in the history of gaming. One of the greatest RPG trilogies that will ever be made. Expand
  61. Jun 5, 2011
    I ended up playing through this one 3 times in full and part of me still feels the draw to have another go. Flat out amazing game one of the best of 2010 for sure and I'd probably rank it in the top 10 games I've played of all time. And I've been gaming since you could fit multiple games on a 5 & 1/4 floppy.
  62. Jun 9, 2011
    Leading off with 10. Games are for fun, enjoyment diversion. ME2 delivered that to me in spades. The biggest gripe from others seems to stem from what an RPG is or isn't. For some the R stands for loot, inventory, tons of gear, options etc. For others the R is the characters, story and action. For me, the R is that latter. I really could care less about the drudgery of inventory andLeading off with 10. Games are for fun, enjoyment diversion. ME2 delivered that to me in spades. The biggest gripe from others seems to stem from what an RPG is or isn't. For some the R stands for loot, inventory, tons of gear, options etc. For others the R is the characters, story and action. For me, the R is that latter. I really could care less about the drudgery of inventory and looting that the original ME1 contained. For those that miss that, it's cool... to each their own. However to consider that "RPG Roots" reaches all the way back to pen and paper games, some of those were loot heavy gear fests and some where story, character and action driven. To claim that ME2 "oversimplifies the RPG genre", it really comes down to what you consider and RPG to be. It's a very individual choice... not an 'ending of the genre' as some might claim. My $0.02 Expand
  63. Jul 20, 2011
    Mass effect 2 is AMAZING...if you consider yourself a skilled pc gamer,who even past mass effect 1,with ALL its content it should give up to 40-50 gameplay hours,but remember this issn't to be counted as one game,but as a full story,including ME 1 you should have 80-90 hours,this game has an inmense replay value.

it only has three issues: You have to play the first one if you wish to

it only has three issues:

You have to play the first one if you wish to ully understand it
    you need a good system,most of the complaints about framerate are because they forgot to get an average video card.
    it has changed to satisfy the action players a bit more,but the rpg players a bit less.

But overall,with an average to good video card this game shouldt present problems and everyone will enjoy it.
  64. Aug 29, 2011
    Easily in my all time top 3. People are so afraid to be interested in a game that is not labeled rpg if they have already established themselves as hardcore gamers. Some games that are not role playing, or strategy games are actually good. Believe me when I say its okay to like a couple of shooters. Whether mass effect 2 is a shooter or an rpg, well the definition for rpg can be found allEasily in my all time top 3. People are so afraid to be interested in a game that is not labeled rpg if they have already established themselves as hardcore gamers. Some games that are not role playing, or strategy games are actually good. Believe me when I say its okay to like a couple of shooters. Whether mass effect 2 is a shooter or an rpg, well the definition for rpg can be found all over the internet. It is really sad that before jumping into an amazing game some gamer still have to convince themselves that it is an rpg, seriously guys you're not a gamer if that is all you are interested in. rpg players enjoy story line right? Expand
  65. Jan 28, 2012
    It is easier to list the things i disliked than the things I liked about this game. There was one main character I found slightly annoying, and I found myself wishing I could still drive ME1's landing vehicle around at will. What isn't there to love about ME2? Great characters, exciting plot. You really are compelled to gather a great and loyal team. Every character has his or her ownIt is easier to list the things i disliked than the things I liked about this game. There was one main character I found slightly annoying, and I found myself wishing I could still drive ME1's landing vehicle around at will. What isn't there to love about ME2? Great characters, exciting plot. You really are compelled to gather a great and loyal team. Every character has his or her own entire plot line dedicated to them to ensure your success in the climactic battle, a time where you make gambles as a leader as well as a fighter. Epic stuff in this box! I would have paid more than the $60 I laid down at its release in hindsight. Expand
  66. Sep 20, 2011
    You know, it's really hard to say something about Mass Effect 2. Speaking of myself, i was shocked by it.,really. It was such an amazing experience playing it (and BTW, no' i haven't played ME1 by that time) that it's really hard to write a review on this game. Still, i'll try.
    Well, what are the positive features of the game? First of all-amazing graphics. Trust me, you won't see anything like this in any RPG. Definitely. Secondly, the conversations. The style of them, the decisions you make by them-it's all outstanding. The characters themselves are one of the best characters created in the gaming industry. Each one of them is absolutely different from the other, has his own history, personality. And it's really interesting to discover all this.
    The only negative part of ME2 (i don't think it's bad, but some people do) is that Mass Effect Franchise isn't an RPG anymore. It's all about shooting, which is completely different from the first game, and this may dissapoint some people. I think it's more of a good thing, because it makes the game more breath-taking, but some people may not agree.
    So, finally, what can i say about Mass Effect 2? Awesome. Breathtaking. Amazing. And made me buy the First game ;)
  67. Oct 3, 2011
    Un juego exelente con buenos graficos, entretenido, abierto, con un gameplay inovador. Es la perfecta combinacion entre rol y acción, espero con anciedad la tercera entrega de este maravilloso juego
  68. Oct 7, 2011
    Best game i ever played. The story is just so amazing i can't stop replaying the game again and again from start to the end. Also the game is very emotional in many ways which made me cry once or twice.
  69. Oct 22, 2011
    This is one of my favorite game. The story, the freedom of the player to choose his way in the scenario, and the gameplay are really perfect. I'd like to have more games like this one.
  70. Feb 22, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is definitely one of the best action-rpg games in history. Even though people criticize the lack of inventory and different option, i actually like the streamlined changes. It puts more focus on the story and gameplay instead of stats. The story is definitely one of the best and the voice acting is terrific. t's hard not to love the hateful Illusive Man or Legion or Grunt.Mass Effect 2 is definitely one of the best action-rpg games in history. Even though people criticize the lack of inventory and different option, i actually like the streamlined changes. It puts more focus on the story and gameplay instead of stats. The story is definitely one of the best and the voice acting is terrific. t's hard not to love the hateful Illusive Man or Legion or Grunt. Mass Effect 2 seems to have done many things right and i am glad that it is a commercial and critical success. Expand
  71. Jun 15, 2012
    I'll start by stating that I'm anything but a Sci-Fi fan, so I guess what I have to say might carry a bit more weight than if I was.

I must say I dind't enjoy any game like I enjoyed Dragon Age:Origins for a long time, and yet, given the choice to play DA:O (which is more in line with the games is enjoy the most) or ME2, I'd have to think for a while and then probably choose Mass Effect 2.

I loved it so much I even started looking for a tactical first person shooter (which not my kind of game, really), which eventually lead to the discovery of Battelfield 3.

Overall, though not in my usual vein of games, probably the most satisfying game I ever played.
  72. Dec 24, 2013
    A masterpiece. Second best game Bioware made, after with Baldurs Gate II in mine opinion. Original Mass Effect was one of the best RPGs ever made, but ME 2 is even better.
  73. Dec 12, 2012
    i dont belive that the best game in the frenchise i got in free i buy dragon age 2 so because of that i get the game in free i am a huge fan of the mass effect frenchise my first game of the frenchise was mass effect 2 that i got on free from that point on i became a huge fan the great story the gameplay side quest and the women mass effect 2 is the best in the frenchise for now until massi dont belive that the best game in the frenchise i got in free i buy dragon age 2 so because of that i get the game in free i am a huge fan of the mass effect frenchise my first game of the frenchise was mass effect 2 that i got on free from that point on i became a huge fan the great story the gameplay side quest and the women mass effect 2 is the best in the frenchise for now until mass effect 4 will come out and then i will test again what is the best in the frenchise Expand
  74. Feb 26, 2016
    A great sequel to a great game. This delivers even more on the original and has so much great story and interaction. The actual gun play still leaves a little to be desired but the world it immerses you in more than makes up for it.
  75. Jaz
    Feb 24, 2013
    The successor of ME1 improved graphics but removed RPG components from the previous version. Also no world exploration and areas feel more dungeon like than open worlds. Still, its strong point -the story- is still strong -if stronger- and that is the important part.
  76. Feb 13, 2012
    First things first it's no RPG, the quests are boring as hell, they're always the same, shoot some idiots with no brains and at last there's a boss. I've really tried to play it since I spent 5 euros on it some months ago, but everytime I've plaid for 20 minutes, I just quit, it's so boring. Worst 5 euros ever spent.
  77. Mar 12, 2011
    The gameplay was a serious disappointment from the first Mass Effect. I am an RPG player and loved the first one so much that I snapped up the second without thinking to find that I had an FPS. While I enjoy a good FPS every once in awhile, I don't look for one titled as an "RPG". They got rid of the dynamic tutorial which reflected key remapping, dropped the small battle map, which IThe gameplay was a serious disappointment from the first Mass Effect. I am an RPG player and loved the first one so much that I snapped up the second without thinking to find that I had an FPS. While I enjoy a good FPS every once in awhile, I don't look for one titled as an "RPG". They got rid of the dynamic tutorial which reflected key remapping, dropped the small battle map, which I loved, brutalized the story (Did they actually play the first game?), and made the characters into cardboard cutouts. Spike VGA gave this game the award og "BEST RPG of 2010" according to the Mass Effect 3 news release. Clearly they were incredibly high on something. Expand
  78. polysix
    Feb 1, 2010
    Ok it's not a ZERO, that is ridiculous. However, I for one am SICK of seeing every 'massive name game' getting 10/10 from the sheep players and the shilling reviewers. This has happened to almost all the big name games recently (ok.. for years) and I'll keep on giving zero to games that are getting 10s when they are worth '8' at best... on a good day, if you Ok it's not a ZERO, that is ridiculous. However, I for one am SICK of seeing every 'massive name game' getting 10/10 from the sheep players and the shilling reviewers. This has happened to almost all the big name games recently (ok.. for years) and I'll keep on giving zero to games that are getting 10s when they are worth '8' at best... on a good day, if you squint really hard. Now to the game. For all the hype and praise I was badly let down. I almost fell asleep during the first few hours play. The initial opening scene was nicely done, very good (if you want 'interactive movies' rather than games), it seemed to go downhill after that. When you compare this to the quality in for ex Uncharted 2, it shows so much lack of flair, lack of care, lack of finishing touches. The textures throughout the levels were bland, reminding me of 'poor man's FPS' from the past such as Chaser and all that crud from the early 2000s. Seriously the design is poor, lacking originality, lacking artistic direction and relying on the age old 'generic space theme'. Design was boxy, levels (so far) linear and poorly paced. It was like bioware tried to hybrid this game a bit too much and have ended up removing anything that was cool about it (the RPG depth) and making, frankly, a 2nd rate Third person shooter with clunky controls, poor interface and worst of all EXTREMELY BORING GAMEPLAY. If you play Gears of War or Uncharted 2... or even Resident Evil 4 on the GC.. THAT is how you do '3rd person' properly. This game and it's predecessor were obviously made by a team who don't truly understand how to make a tight addictive 'action' game, and instead rely on the so called 'depth' and vision of the story and concept. It doesn't wash with me. I honestly can't recall a time in recent years I've been this BORED while playing such a 'massive' game. I'm trading mine in asap while the price is still good (If I can) if not looks like I really should stop taking any review site seriously. Ask yourself, while playing this, are you genuinely feeling 'fun'? are you feeling that there is more to pull you through the game than some lame (though nicely scripted and pretty looking) cut scene? I certainly did not relish getting back to the so called 'action' (wooh more shooting with an underpowered and clunky set of weapons) I guess most of all I was astonished at the number of cliches this game spews over the player while being heralded as the second coming of gaming nirvana. I lost all connection with the game because of it's clinical delivery, it's 'by the numbers' action gameplay, and it's robotic characters. The female is annoying, often repeating her lines once too often during battle (it's 2010 people, I thought that kind of thing had been fixed in games these days?). Of course lots and lots of people are still going to buy this, just like the brainless sheep (even worse) who made Modern Warfare 2 the 'beacon' of a once proud industry. Nothing I say will damage Bioware's sales, or stop you from buying it if you are hyped up for it. For me however, it all felt like it was trying too hard to be 'something' it wasn't, with no clear, punchy definition of it's own. It's borrowed ideas and innovations from other games and mixed it up into something that lacks soul or reason to play (other than because the reviews said you should). Ahh just another game in a long line of stupidly overhyped AAA titles that are keeping the industry rich through collusion and payola with review sites. Next up? I guess we'll have Bioshock 2 being 'the greatest thing ever' according to the mags/sites... Just like they did with the first game (which was also overhyped and had terrible gameplay, as bad as I thought it's gameplay was it was actually ever so slightly more fun than ME2's gameplay so that's how bad ME2 is!). There are good 'hyped' games out there, Uncharted 2 is one of them, not perfect but it's solid, addictive and feels compelling. It's art direction and animation are worlds beyond the basic '1999 style' generic corridor shooter we see here. I know i'm picky, I can't help it... I can't help noticing things in ME2 like the lazy texturing (check out the ramps up to the outside buildings in the first levels, many have misaligned textures with no 'trimming' just stopping dead at the end of the mesh - even if it means the texture is cut in half)... that kind of thing was frowned upon way back in user created maps for games like unreal etc so why are pro devs getting away with this lazy 'mapping' and getting 10/10 for graphics/art? Ok a sum up of the bad points ( I won't list the good stuff as there's thousands of 10/10 reviews doing that if you care). .Linear to the point of boredom (Just 'working your way though cos you bought it not cos you are having a blast') .Generic level design .Bad texturing (sky/clouds even feature stretched and flat 'clouds' again say hello to 1999!) .Tiny/Bad UI - blocky and unintuitive .Abrupt level ending. No finesse, just 'map after map' with some cut scenes tacked on. Again check Uncharted2 for one example of how to do this right with 'flair' .Boring and unsympathetic characters. The complete opposite of the great work done in games like Half Life 2 (and again even U2). .Shine on everything, they like them shaders at bioware and they are using them on everything - some may think that makes for 'great graphics' but it doesn't. It looks stupid, it's still a boxy empty lifeless environment that is no pleasure to be in .Clinical to the point of feeling like numb .Ill defined gameplay - is it one thing or the other? neither, it's a mess in terms of gameplay. .Story? Hmm, probably it's strongest side but again it's nothing special, been done to death, they just changed the name of the 'baddies' ... yawn .Overhyped. When a game is overhyped such as this, it better be damned near perfect. Even with flaws it's ok but this is so lacklustre in so many areas it's a crime against videogaming to be calling this 'the best game of the year' so early. I for one hope we'll get more games on all formats this year that are at least 10x better than this. btw: IMO and YMMV. Thanks. If forced to play this or ME1.. go for ME1, it was flawed but at least it had some 'character and soul' (still not as much as other games though). Expand
  79. LanceW.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Dull, dull, dull. This is the same old boring Bioware pap, with one dimensional characters, and a completely unimaginative story. For anyone who's ever read a book (even one book) this game is fairly insulting and anti-intellectual. You'll yawn, and you might even cry at how dire it is. I'm just glad I played this on a friend's computer and didn't buy it. Avoid. Dull, dull, dull. This is the same old boring Bioware pap, with one dimensional characters, and a completely unimaginative story. For anyone who's ever read a book (even one book) this game is fairly insulting and anti-intellectual. You'll yawn, and you might even cry at how dire it is. I'm just glad I played this on a friend's computer and didn't buy it. Avoid. One day, Bioware might get a stable of half-decent writers, today isn't that day. Expand
  80. Nov 2, 2010
    I was extremely disappointed by this. The story is very linear and boring, there are almost no sidequests at all. I find the gameplay very repetitive, every battle was the same, and even on high difficulties they were trivially easy. The end of the game left me a bit shocked, it seemed to do nothing for the plot of the series, you know about as much about the story at the end of theI was extremely disappointed by this. The story is very linear and boring, there are almost no sidequests at all. I find the gameplay very repetitive, every battle was the same, and even on high difficulties they were trivially easy. The end of the game left me a bit shocked, it seemed to do nothing for the plot of the series, you know about as much about the story at the end of the game as at the start. Expand
  81. JennyF.
    Jan 26, 2010
    Commander Shepard still has a monotone voice, which seems to be the worst voice actor for a game with such great performances. The level design is average, the gunplay has been done to death. It's slightly average. What's great is the cinematic part of it. It's better than the original, however it seems to be quite tedious and repetitive with the gameplay and the boring Commander Shepard still has a monotone voice, which seems to be the worst voice actor for a game with such great performances. The level design is average, the gunplay has been done to death. It's slightly average. What's great is the cinematic part of it. It's better than the original, however it seems to be quite tedious and repetitive with the gameplay and the boring searching for money parts of the game. Choices can matter, some characters are interesting, story is cliche, but told in a good manner, besides the annoying main character. The AI is ok, the enemies are ok, the game just seems to not really have anything to call its own unfortunately. Expand
  82. KostasI.
    Feb 20, 2010
    I will not say much other than saying that this game is simply incredible. It has the best possible character roster and conversation system i have ever seen in any game. You WILL actually care for your characters. The only downside i can think of is that this game is NO rpg. It is a shooter with RPG elements and an infinately better narative and story than many RPG's but it sure as I will not say much other than saying that this game is simply incredible. It has the best possible character roster and conversation system i have ever seen in any game. You WILL actually care for your characters. The only downside i can think of is that this game is NO rpg. It is a shooter with RPG elements and an infinately better narative and story than many RPG's but it sure as hell does not play like one and the gameplay and design itself does not remind you of an RPG either. Get this game, whoever you are, wherever you are jsut buy the thing. Avoid only if you want a traditional style RPG. Expand
  83. OlafH.
    Feb 4, 2010
    I really wanted to like this game and I was keen about it, until i got through. I am sadly disappointed and I know this is a very subjective estimate. It may be a very well made game for the mediocre shooter crowd, but it's a letdown for rpg players. Good thing is it's still a rich and detailed world with interesting characters that embraces you and want to spend more time in I really wanted to like this game and I was keen about it, until i got through. I am sadly disappointed and I know this is a very subjective estimate. It may be a very well made game for the mediocre shooter crowd, but it's a letdown for rpg players. Good thing is it's still a rich and detailed world with interesting characters that embraces you and want to spend more time in it. I also still enjoy the conversation system thanks to the dialog. The soundtrack is still inviting and the graphics are solid peppered with some formidable compositions. What's told to be happened in the galaxy between the two titles is acceptable to me. Now to criticism. First of all the story: In ME1 I had the feeling I was closing in on Saren and to uncover his worked out plan and for whom he is working. Although Saren was the personalized evil, even he had shades of gray, an assistant, an army, the mysterious boss and the mentioned plan, the perfect antagonist for creating suspense. Mass Effect 2 lacks it all! The only great enemy is an army of stupid cannon fodder which, in the end you discover, doesn't even seem to have a great plan for galaxy domination. There are 3 more very similar mercenary gangs for variety. The second Mass Effect is all about recruiting the league of extraordinary gentlemen. That's the plot and there's barely more to it. Throwing a handful of badass people against an army directed by superbeings only figures in the mass effect universe. The end is just ridiculous! Beside the 3 or 4 missions that correlate to the threatened galaxy plot the whole game feels like a sidequest. Whilst in the first ME some of the secondary missions still offered some dialog and decisions, or somebody to save or to tackle to create not only mini tasks, but mini INTERACTIVE stories, ME2's sidequests mainly exist to shoot stuff, since everything already happened and you're just the cleanup crew. But thanks there is no MAKO involved! As for gameplay: The game got stripped off of most RPG elements except the dialog system. The skill bars were already a weak point in the first installment of the series. Instead of improving the inconvenient inventory of ME1 they simply got rid of it entirely. There's almost nothing to buy in the stores and since you can't loot any equipment there's not even an option to sell anything. Where you could customize your gear for every teammate in ME1 if I'm not mistaken, you have only universal upgrades and few armor parts only to be used by Shepard in ME2. I liked playing around with different setups for different situations in the first title. Now it's lock and load and you're ready to go. I don't know what to make of your allies yet, most seem to have quite similar equipment and abilities. So Bioware upgraded the shooter part of the game and got rid of the apparently unnecessary part of tense storyline and rpg gameplay in order to get the hype to the modest, but large number of shooter players. But thankfully they eliminated other flaws on their way. 6/10 for immersive gameworld, enjoyable dialog and the nice try. Expand
  84. SeanR
    Mar 7, 2010
    By far the best game I've ever played. The story is brilliant, the decisions you can make can be extremely difficult, amazing character skill trees, phenomenal voice acting, stunning graphics, incredibly fun gameplay, this game has it all. And in addition, there are virtually no bugs or glitches, saves are instantaneous, and the characters are extremely interesting. The research By far the best game I've ever played. The story is brilliant, the decisions you can make can be extremely difficult, amazing character skill trees, phenomenal voice acting, stunning graphics, incredibly fun gameplay, this game has it all. And in addition, there are virtually no bugs or glitches, saves are instantaneous, and the characters are extremely interesting. The research system is brilliant as well, however I would complain about how the consistent need to gather minerals via scanning can get tedious after awhile. Also, though the side missions are more in depth than in ME1, they still seem to fall short of the rest of the game and seem more as added content to try and appease players rather than missions that were actually well-developed (not to mention there are a very small number of sidequests for an RPG of this scale). All in all, this game has everything any RPG or sci-fi lover could ever hope for in a game. I definitely recommend it for anyone who is a fan of either of the aforementioned genres. Expand
  85. JohnW
    Jan 26, 2010
    Absolute masterpiece. Best game I have ever played - engaging story, characters and environments. Everything in this game feels so perfect - this is the best a game can possibly get.
  86. DanielChapman
    Jan 27, 2010
    This is without a doubt the Game Of The Year! I knew it would be fantastic/incredible/unbelievable before it launched and now all I can say is buy this game. You will not be sorry! Well?...what are you waiting for?
  87. Cygnus
    Jan 30, 2010
    The only reason I have given this a 9 is because I found the game too short but overall a complete improvement from the first Mass Effect. Coming off of buying Modern Warfare 2 and seeing just how forsaken a PC gamer can be to developers i was skeptical to ME2. Bioware seems to be the only developer i trust now as a PC gamer to equally make both 360 and PC gamers satisfied in there The only reason I have given this a 9 is because I found the game too short but overall a complete improvement from the first Mass Effect. Coming off of buying Modern Warfare 2 and seeing just how forsaken a PC gamer can be to developers i was skeptical to ME2. Bioware seems to be the only developer i trust now as a PC gamer to equally make both 360 and PC gamers satisfied in there experience. 9/10 Expand
  88. MakiM
    Feb 1, 2010
    This is at least as good as the original Mass Effect. A great deal of things has been improved, such as more unique missions (in the original game, uncharted planets usually had the same base setup with randomly generated environments which were hard to navigate). The inventory system has been simplified, and this is both good and bad. It's more consistent now and much easier to This is at least as good as the original Mass Effect. A great deal of things has been improved, such as more unique missions (in the original game, uncharted planets usually had the same base setup with randomly generated environments which were hard to navigate). The inventory system has been simplified, and this is both good and bad. It's more consistent now and much easier to manage, however, there is a lack of options as there are not many weapon selections in the game. Though this is minor compared to the greater state of things in this game, such as its magnificent storyline. The game length is longer, the team is more unique and every character is good in their own way, allowing for unique team combination. The visuals have also improved. The animations, sound/music, and art have been kept up to the high standard that we expect. The most noticeable feature is facial expressions. Now characters can realistically show anger or sadness (even tears can be seen on a weeping character). Cut-scenes are more cinematically epic, showing better viewing angles and shots. In the first Mass Effect, the experience felt great most in the beginning, then went down in the middle but went up again in the end. In Mass Effect 2, every single moment of the game feels epic, with the beginning and endings even better. I highly recommend this game. This is just the kind of game that is lacking in the gaming industry, which we need more of. Expand
  89. LordN
    Feb 14, 2010
    Beautifull cinematic game that builds right through the game. It was refreshing to see a game that had a feeling for timing and heightened the tension at the right moments while questioning your ethical views of the detailed alien universe around you, endless possibilities, and endless fun. This is one of the few games I have ever finished without losing interest, there was only about 20 Beautifull cinematic game that builds right through the game. It was refreshing to see a game that had a feeling for timing and heightened the tension at the right moments while questioning your ethical views of the detailed alien universe around you, endless possibilities, and endless fun. This is one of the few games I have ever finished without losing interest, there was only about 20 minutes during this game where I became a bit bored with dealing with the crews problems. Recommended to anyone who enjoys Sci-Fi or RPGs, the shooter element is a backseat on tradition. Expand
  90. LukasA
    Feb 1, 2010
    I have never played a game better then this, epic storyline, despite some graphic issues, and a few bugs, its just a perfect game in almost any way, well thought through, and an awesome conversation system, like the last one. Giving it a 9 because of those bugs. Haven't completed half the game yet, but of course im not sure, but so far, its epic.
  91. MonteA
    Mar 9, 2010
    I would rate a 9.5, but i cant. The reason i didnt give it a 10, is because, as good as it is, it does have some downsides. .::Bad things::. -it still has slight glitches with maps, audio, and some scenes. -RPG elements are stripped down -*sigh* Planet mining. The only real downfall of the game. .::Good Things::. -MUCH better shooting system -Epic storyline -Great graphics. -Diverse I would rate a 9.5, but i cant. The reason i didnt give it a 10, is because, as good as it is, it does have some downsides. .::Bad things::. -it still has slight glitches with maps, audio, and some scenes. -RPG elements are stripped down -*sigh* Planet mining. The only real downfall of the game. .::Good Things::. -MUCH better shooting system -Epic storyline -Great graphics. -Diverse Characters. -Great gameplay. -Leveling system is better. I hope for Mass Effect 3, they will put some of the RPG elements back in. And i hope after ME3, they will create something like GTA in Space theme. That would kick ass. Expand
  92. LarryF
    Jan 29, 2010
    Mass Effect 1 is now the 2nd best game ever. No game managed to connect with my emotions like ME1 and now ME2 did. It's not about graphics, gameplay, stats or other technical aspects. It's about emotion, it's about experience. I don't care if it's an RPG, an action game, a chicken or whatever. It's just a masterpiece.
  93. Oct 16, 2010
    Barely enjoyable. I did not play ME1 and I bought ME2 through Steam on-line. Those two conditions probably did me in as I have never gotten comfortable with the combat interface. I am ok with guns. They are simple and work like you think they would. The special talents always seem to go awry. When they work they are great, but its luck. Maybe if I had the game manual it would makeBarely enjoyable. I did not play ME1 and I bought ME2 through Steam on-line. Those two conditions probably did me in as I have never gotten comfortable with the combat interface. I am ok with guns. They are simple and work like you think they would. The special talents always seem to go awry. When they work they are great, but its luck. Maybe if I had the game manual it would make more sense. I have played it for hours, but I am not even interested in finishing it. Expand
  94. Aug 2, 2011
    This game was really charming, beautiful and interesting.
    The plot twists were really though out, the story was very original and not a copycat from the first game.
    The characters were very developed and the action was improved over the last game. Mass Effect offered very great features and story while Mass Effect 2 improved over every aspect of the game. BioWare has made another great
    This game was really charming, beautiful and interesting.
    Mass Effect offered very great features and story while Mass Effect 2 improved over every aspect of the game. BioWare has made another great game with interesting story.
  95. Aug 24, 2011
    this game is really story focused...just the way I like it. the story is fun and well written, gameplay is average but the game also has vehicle sections with horrible controls but you get used at the controls ( to bad that is at the last level) overall one of the best RPGs i have played and i mean in which other game can you bang aliens in space!
  96. Jan 1, 2012
    Simply one of the best games i've ever played. and definitely my all time replayability title.It is a roleplaying/shooter with excellent voice acting, amazing graphics, and the most intense atmosphere!. This game pulls you in and keep you and a wonderful ride. Highly recommended!
  97. Apr 3, 2016
    Mass effect 2 is a engaging shooter with satisfying gun combat and rpg mechanics. What makes the game particularly enjoyable in addition to the combat and team management is the level of immersion the game is capable of procuring. The audio-visual compartment is captivating. The world and lore is well flesh-out, which confers your choices and actions a sense of credibility and impact.Mass effect 2 is a engaging shooter with satisfying gun combat and rpg mechanics. What makes the game particularly enjoyable in addition to the combat and team management is the level of immersion the game is capable of procuring. The audio-visual compartment is captivating. The world and lore is well flesh-out, which confers your choices and actions a sense of credibility and impact. There are emotionally meaningful choices on offer which contributes greatly to the immersion. The pacing is on point, thanks also to the minimal amount of grinding present. The characters are well designed and like-able. All of this makes the game a highly enjoyable, personalized and entertaining ride from A to Z, which is rare. It is not a masterpiece of tactical combat and rpg elements, but it is a well-designed, coherent experience that does a lot of things well. This one of the most memorable game of the last generation and it is easily recommendable to anyone. Expand
  98. BillZ
    Apr 7, 2010
    Overall Impression: Absolutely Awesome. Most of the big-picture criticism I've been hearing about this game regards it as an RPG, a shooter, or both. But really, describing it as these genres just misses something big: at its heart, it's a *dynamic story* game. It's all about the characters and the plot. The shooting is fun, and adds that crucial element of skill that most Overall Impression: Absolutely Awesome. Most of the big-picture criticism I've been hearing about this game regards it as an RPG, a shooter, or both. But really, describing it as these genres just misses something big: at its heart, it's a *dynamic story* game. It's all about the characters and the plot. The shooting is fun, and adds that crucial element of skill that most gamers need, but it's still nothing I'd quite call a real 'shooter'. Likewise, having control over your face, armor, class and powers adds customization in the sense of an RPG, but player-character development isn't what I'd say is the main focus, and true star, of the game, and you're not just following a rigid character along witnessing his story, either. The greatest aspect of the game is the story - not just the content and succession of events, but the incredible potential that the player has to mold the game around his choices of dialog and action. The characters are deep and enthralling, and the story content itself is very cool, but the thing that makes me want to play Mass Effect 2 over and over - what makes the game so uniquely engaging - is how dynamic it is: how involving and rewarding the player's role in the story feels, and the insane degree of flexibility written into what can happen in a relatively fixed and linear world. Sure it has its flaws: little things like graphics bugs (though these were rare), and frustrating flaws in cover mechanics, and class balance (mainly for Insanity difficulty), and, of course, the super-boring-not-interesting-or-innovative-at-all mining 'activity' (chore), but none of the game's downsides were great enough to take away from that epic and satisfying feeling you get once you're done. Expand
  99. JohnH.
    Apr 7, 2010
    This game was an amazing game. It continues from the first game very well and keeps an interesting story throughout the game. Everything in this game was done brilliantly and always has enough to keep you interested. I hope that Bioware will be able to make Mass Effect 3 as awesome as this.
  100. Jul 23, 2012
    No much to say here! They fixed all bad things which was annoying in 1st part continuing awesome story and characters. Map system and fighting is also improved which made this game almost perfect. Play 1st part because of story line and this part for fun!

Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.