Mass Effect 2 PC

8.8

1. May 23, 2011
    If you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fallIf you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fall through the ship into a pitch black chasm. This is not often, but it happens and it's actually pretty hilarious. When it does happen you can just reload the checkpoint (which is updated often) and go on your merry way. The other problem with the PC version is the Liara mission which was pretty bad. If you don't do Liara's mission immediately after she asks you to do it and you run off to do something else then when you come back there will be a bug where you hack all the terminals but can't proceed in her mission. This ruined one playthrough for me so as long you know to do Liara's mission right away you should be fine. If you can deal with this bugs and you have a good system prepare to be rewarded with the benefits of the PC version. The graphics are far superior to the console versions, with beautiful, high resolution textures and anti-aliasing. Playing it on my 23" 1080p monitor and 5.1 speaker system was a blast. Surprisingly the cutscenes were not rendered in 1080p but in 720p, so the in-game cutscenes looks far better than the pre-rendered cutscenes, ironically. Playing with a mouse and keyboard are also fantastic, but beware that the default keyboard configuration is strange, to say the least. You can quickly customize this to your liking and it will feel much better than playing with a controller, especially since you can now quicksave. Bioware did not map the interactive dialogue to the number keys though, so you're stuck using a mouse to awkwardly choose your dialogue option in a wheel. Overall the problems with the PC version are minimal but if you have the rig to run it, it is definitely worth it. Expand
  2. Nov 26, 2010
    I found this game more enjoyable than the first one which surpises me. I felt that the story was weaker in mass effect 2, and that some of the parts of the game didnt realy add up. But the gameplay was nearly perfect and so was the acting and the design of the game. Dissapointed in the lack of weapons and armor but it is much more simple than spamming through countless amounts of uselessI found this game more enjoyable than the first one which surpises me. I felt that the story was weaker in mass effect 2, and that some of the parts of the game didnt realy add up. But the gameplay was nearly perfect and so was the acting and the design of the game. Dissapointed in the lack of weapons and armor but it is much more simple than spamming through countless amounts of useless stuff in the first game. I realy thought that they over done theirselves with most of the characters, and thought that my actions from the first game affecting many noticeable things in this game was realy cool. I know that mass effect 2 is bassicaly the final editing for the trilogy and the final game. The planetary exploration is just as boring infact almost more pointless than the first one. But your actions realy do matter making the anticipation for the final game the most exciting thing i have actualy felt for a game, seeing that the sequals actually do matter. Unlike all other games. Expand
  3. Feb 4, 2011
    Bioware.. is there a better RPG developer? If so, Mass Effect 2 extinguishes any doubt. A stunningly beautiful game with spectacular scenery and amazing visuals, this game will not disappoint when it comes to eye candy. A step up from the traditional RPG style of Bioware, the games combat allows real time combat and decent shooter action, with the well known Bioware stragetical pausingBioware.. is there a better RPG developer? If so, Mass Effect 2 extinguishes any doubt. A stunningly beautiful game with spectacular scenery and amazing visuals, this game will not disappoint when it comes to eye candy. A step up from the traditional RPG style of Bioware, the games combat allows real time combat and decent shooter action, with the well known Bioware stragetical pausing weve grown accustomed to all mixed together. The games real strengths come from the plot, which allows the player to choose various conversation choices aswell as plot paths which can make dramatic consequences to the way the player experiences and inevitably ends the game. If you are a veteran of RPGs or wanting to dip your toe in and test the water, Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game to experience. The worst thing about this game is the time waiting for Mass Effect 3 to be released. 10/10. Expand
  4. May 20, 2011
    Great storyline, fun gameplay. Felt a bit like playing through a movie, was quite enjoyable. Not quite as long as I'd hoped for, but that's the only complaint I have. It's one of the few recent RPGs I didn't get bored of before I finished it, which is mainly due to the enjoyable storyline.
  5. May 18, 2011
    A satisfying game that lives up to the first game in just about every sense. The game allows you to be the galaxy's most-feared renegade or its most-loved paragon. The only downside is the removal of some RPG elements that made the first game quite enjoyable.
  6. May 11, 2013
    What can i say about this game? It is still the best game I ever played. The combat mechanics are much improved from Mass Effect 1 and feels much more fluid.The story is is great, it keept me intrested the whole time. All characters are intresting each in their own way(especially Mordin & Legion). The game is full of decisions wich have consequences that ripple thru the story and alsoWhat can i say about this game? It is still the best game I ever played. The combat mechanics are much improved from Mass Effect 1 and feels much more fluid.The story is is great, it keept me intrested the whole time. All characters are intresting each in their own way(especially Mordin & Legion). The game is full of decisions wich have consequences that ripple thru the story and also effects in Mass Effect 3. Only gripes i have with the game is that the planet scanning minigame becomes a bit tedious. It takes too long to scan the planets and get the ressources you need. Also the rpg elements have been reduced quite significantly and there is not enough of Liara T'Soni! So are you gonna be the Paragon Shepard who is nice to everyone or are you gonna be Renegade Shepard who punches people in the face? The choice is yours! I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite game on the citadel! Expand
  7. May 27, 2011
    Would give this game a 10 had it not been for the simplification of the RP aspect that made ME1 exceptional. In removing the bugs, awful loading times, and terrible mechanics and travel, ME2 also removed inventory, customization, and a crucial story-arc that is truly dimensional. That being said, Mass Effect 2 is still one of the top video games that have ever been created, right up thereWould give this game a 10 had it not been for the simplification of the RP aspect that made ME1 exceptional. In removing the bugs, awful loading times, and terrible mechanics and travel, ME2 also removed inventory, customization, and a crucial story-arc that is truly dimensional. That being said, Mass Effect 2 is still one of the top video games that have ever been created, right up there with anything you throw at it. From its dazzling cut-scenes to its exceptional game-play, Mass Effect 2 MORE than made up for its flaws, and obliterated Mass Effect 1 in terms of overall quality in comparison. The story was compelling and at times even emotional. A true indication that a video game can be art. This was more than a game, and you would shoot yourself in the foot if you never gave this game a chance. Expand
  8. Jul 17, 2011
    The surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically andThe surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically and with personality, the decision making is not only ambitious but is pulled off very well, brilliantly and originally designed environments, creatures, costume and armour, and technically performs well at least on my PC with game play that feels satisfyingly good. The characters are good and memorable, I actually felt dread when some of them die, if you dont fall in love with Garrus, Tali, Legion, and Thane by the end of ME2 you have problems, I even grew attached to the space ship. I also want to make a big shout out to the legendary soundtrack, everyone must download the track Suicide Mission from Itunes now, its freaken awesome. The lack of depth in the RPG at first seems like a good thing as the shooting mechanics are good but after playing the game for over 60 hours it starts to show is thin side and has you missing some of the lacking RPG of the first game. I also dont think the decisions a player can make are perfect, who in their right mine didnt save the alien counsel in ME1? Who didnt save Wrex? But overall ME2 is a remarkable achievement and a new benchmark for modern single player games! Expand
  9. Mar 15, 2012
    This game was actually very good. I am personally not into Sci-Fi RPGs, but this game really got me involved. The story and especially the ending were fantastic. Though there a few bugs such at getting stuck on top of objects requiring you to load your last save and lose your current progress was annoying. Another was the character face creator seemed to be lacking, specially for theThis game was actually very good. I am personally not into Sci-Fi RPGs, but this game really got me involved. The story and especially the ending were fantastic. Though there a few bugs such at getting stuck on top of objects requiring you to load your last save and lose your current progress was annoying. Another was the character face creator seemed to be lacking, specially for the female character. However, the games ending really soaks up all the problems into a fantastic 'you are the hero' feeling in the most interactive cinematic experience i have ever had at my fingertips. Expand
  10. Oct 21, 2013
    My favorite game of all times. This is an RPG that takes place in an amazing wold with tons of lore and backstory for the one who's interested. The story and the characters are amazing and the soundtrack is mind blowing.
  11. Oct 25, 2011
    I can´t help my self, but I just love this game. I played it dozen times on the highest dificulty doing all side missions and tried many choices. The story was great - a little worse than mass effect 1 but still great. When I played this game for the first time, I was quite shocked, where did all those rpg elements from mass effect 1 went, but after some time I got used to itI can´t help my self, but I just love this game. I played it dozen times on the highest dificulty doing all side missions and tried many choices. The story was great - a little worse than mass effect 1 but still great. When I played this game for the first time, I was quite shocked, where did all those rpg elements from mass effect 1 went, but after some time I got used to it and found it to be not that bad. The big plus for ME2 is a lot better graphic, much better combat (covering system, heavy weapons, ammunition...)a lot better level design, great side missions and the back stories of every team members. The voice acting is superb again, the cutscenes are awesome and videos as well. So of course this game is not perfect but it is not far from it. I would like to see more abilities in mass effect 3. Expand
  12. Oct 26, 2011
    Big improvement over ME1, streamlined nicely but still RPG enough for most. Incredible characters, graphics+art design=Top-notch. Classes now more interesting, all powers a blast to use. EPIC cannot describe it.
  13. Mar 28, 2013
    I've just finished it for the second time, after restarting my character, making a new different shepard. the second time was even better than the first one, it took me long hours, I think between 20-30 to finish it, with lots of side quests.
    This game is amazing for how it makes you get sucked into the characters, the plot, the reactions, the environment, you actually feel they are alive, they exist somewhere else, that's the amazing sense you get along the game, and after you finish it.

I always recommend starting with the first Mass effect, which is a bit uncomfortable by game-play meanings, but is also amazing, by plot and characters.
    Even though some elements were removed like, inventory etc... it won't affect the game in general, hell I didn't even notice that it didn't have those options, until the end. and I didn't care.

This game gives you the spice and makes you want another one, like this isn't finished yet, and bioware already provided ME3. what else can you ask for?
  14. Apr 9, 2012
    Great game albet inventory and mods dummed down from the original, not the butchery that DA2 is, totally abandoning the standard of the original game.
  15. Mar 13, 2012
    This is one of if not the best game I have ever played. Loved the first Mass Effect but this is one has everything going for it imo, story, action, choices etc etc.
  16. Jan 28, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic game! Story, setting, mood, action, companions and looks are all 10/10, but unfortunately I hated the scanning planets for various materials - terrible idea! Therefore it is 9/10 instead.

Can´t wait for ME3 to come out and enthrall me again for hours and hours!
  17. Feb 27, 2012
    Just love it (ME1 too).
    Definitely one of the biggest games ever.
    Beatyful storyline, characters, sci-fi setup, deep and detailed world, nice graphics.
  18. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 took everything that was great about Mass Effect, and made it better. Most of the annoying aspects of the first game were removed, and I really only have one complaint about the second one (the planet mining -- ugh). What really stood out for me was how well the sequel built upon the decisions that you made in the original. What BioWare has done here is something truly special.
  19. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is simply Bioware's best RPG to date and is the closest I've played to gaming perfection. Mass Effect 3 will have to do wonders in order to knock its predecessor off its perch.
  20. Mar 27, 2012
    I LOVE THIS GAME. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. sorry, i know this is not how you start a review but i've never played a game that got me so engaged i actually cried for joy at some points. love the 'angel' & 'devil' choices as well!
  21. Mar 28, 2012
    I personally love it. I started the game with crying as is see what´s happend with my Normandy. So its the perfect continues story and the gameplay is bether than before. but you have to patch it because ther were many buggs.
  22. Apr 23, 2012
    Amazing,beatiful,compelling story from the master Drew Karpyshyn a genius writer that give us one of the greatest scifi histories ever,if you love RPG,action and a good story fulll of amazing characters mass effect 2 is for you
  23. May 21, 2012
    ME2 is a brilliant game. The graphic, the atmosphere and the characters catch you deep in a story about all or nothing. Sometimes the storytelling is a bit slow, but this is just my opinion. I love this game and play it many times - One of the games I would tell 'Game of the Year'.
  24. Jul 21, 2012
    This game's suicide mission is one of the best game sequences which combine gameplay, action and atmosphere (The music/soundtrack!!) that I've ever encountered. Overall, this game is truly epic and worth it's 10 out of 10, I still play it regularly. Unfortunately, there are a few too many characters in this game, making squad selection less strategic than in Mass Effect 1. But still, eachThis game's suicide mission is one of the best game sequences which combine gameplay, action and atmosphere (The music/soundtrack!!) that I've ever encountered. Overall, this game is truly epic and worth it's 10 out of 10, I still play it regularly. Unfortunately, there are a few too many characters in this game, making squad selection less strategic than in Mass Effect 1. But still, each character's individual personality and their loyalty missions more than make up for that. Expand
  25. Sep 2, 2012
    One of my all-time favorite PC Games ever. This is truly an epic video game with a wonderful story and beautiful graphics. There really aren't many games I enjoy replaying like this one. I have played through the game 3 times and each play through was literally as fun as the last. It really makes me sad because this is the one game I kind of wish would go on forever.
  26. Nov 24, 2012
    this game is awesome... just the launch trailer gives me chills and the game itself makes me cry... seriously... im really looking forward to see Mass Effect 3 someday...
  27. Sep 6, 2013
    Goods:
    - it is beautiful! (I played in 1920x1080)
    - the story is breathtaking! - the characters are very unique, they have their own personality! (I like Mordin, when he is jabbering, but in an intelligent way) - you cannot stop playing! - camera movement is very 'movie like', sometimes slowly turns around the character when in conversation, i like it. - I love the world on the
    Goods:
    - it is beautiful! (I played in 1920x1080)
    - the story is breathtaking!
    - you cannot stop playing!
    - I love the world on the planets where you can land (you can dance, you can help almost anyone to feel better, buying a fish to eat, help someone out with money etc.), so You can solve problems if You want.

Bads only in game menu:
    - i think bioware should not be proud about the game menu solution:
    - using the missions list tree structure is frustrating, you can not use it with keyboard (cursor moving buttons work, but then enter, space, nothing responses), with mouse sucks, you have to click, select, click, select with mouse, then click on the okay button on the very bottom... Frustrating, slow.
    - you have to navigate to the buttons with mouse, keyboard is not allowed. Boring, frustrating, slow.
    - It is not always the same function when you hit escape on keyboard, or hit the back button on the screen (example: when you scanning the planets, you hit escape, you will be behind Shepard on the spaceship, not the galaxy view, to scan new planets. You have to click on the back button on screen with mouse!)
    - when you are scanning planets, you have to turn to scan the whole planet, while you have to hold down right mouse button. Boring, uncomfortable.
    - they should learn a bit from firaxis xcom enemy unknown, about using the right mouse button to go back one level up in menu, or screen page (or using the 3rd, 4th mouse buttons for circle the units or for scrolling pages)
    - why i can not use enter when i select a button, or just double click on it with mouse to go inside? I have to go down to the next button with mouse. Frustrating, slow.
    - why i can not use w,a,s,d buttons to navigate in menus, then hit enter, or e, or space or something common button?
    - I hate origin login, it slows down starting the game

Comparison: Mass Effect 1 Mass Effect 2
    - now the mission areas very unique, not the same like in the first episode (the same ships inside, the same mines inside)
    - you can control your followers individually, not in a team (therefore the controls were redefined, i hated it for one hour only), your followers AI a bit better
    - Bioware is modified the planets scanning mechanism: mako is no more, you have to launch probes to get your resources as palladium etc., It is still boring, but better than the long traveling with mako.
    - You do not need to convert things to omnigel, to make those mini games for unlocking a computer or door.
    - You will see two types of mini games (select the right code lines, or connect the right circuits to each other), I like more mass effect 1 mini game (going with an arrow inside the circle)
    - The conversations are very fluent now, the heads movement are not lagging like the first episode
    - The in game menu is still a you can only use mouse, keyboard is only for hit escape

Conclusion:
    This is a must have game!
  28. Jun 24, 2013
    i haven't played a game as perfect as mass effect 2 this game is awesome in every aspect all the defaults that were in the first mass effect are not only fixed in this game but improved in a great way i think i will never play a game that will make me attached to the characters in this game i felt like the characters were my friends and i had to care for them i also loved the romancei haven't played a game as perfect as mass effect 2 this game is awesome in every aspect all the defaults that were in the first mass effect are not only fixed in this game but improved in a great way i think i will never play a game that will make me attached to the characters in this game i felt like the characters were my friends and i had to care for them i also loved the romance part in this game it was great (romanced Tali by the way) and if u want to talk about a great mission let's talk about the last mission the best mission i have ever played in a game so far i highly recommend this game and i really can't wait to play the third part Expand
  29. Jun 20, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is simply amazing. It has few RPG elements which I realize disappointed a lot of long time Bioware fans but taken objectively it's a beautiful game in almost every way. The dialogue is brilliantly written and preformed by some of the best voice actors in the industry. It's humorous enough to keep you entertained while also serious emphasizing the grandness and scope of yourMass Effect 2 is simply amazing. It has few RPG elements which I realize disappointed a lot of long time Bioware fans but taken objectively it's a beautiful game in almost every way. The dialogue is brilliantly written and preformed by some of the best voice actors in the industry. It's humorous enough to keep you entertained while also serious emphasizing the grandness and scope of your goals. Every character in this game is compelling in their own way and you'll grow very attached to them. The combat mechanics are great, they combined a much more refined version of the industry standard third person cover based shooting but with unique powers that you and your teammates can use to liven up gameplay. Squad controls are much smoother than ME1 and can be used tactically during firefights. Finally the soundtrack is one of the best any video game has to offer it's grand and epic but also sublime at parts. If you haven't played this game yet you owe it to yourself to buy it right away. Expand
  30. Jul 25, 2013
    A perfect game. Plot, combat, characters. Everything was improved from ME1. Some players might find more action and less RPG gameplay disturbing but i like it. Definitelly the best game of ME saga up to date.

Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.