8.7

1. May 1, 2011
    Too empty for an RPG, too branching for a shooter, Mass Effect 2 sits in a genre all it's own. I'll admit, when it first came out, I thought Mass Effect 2 was just a lousy attempt by Bioware to make money, but with the new free DLC, it began to look like something good. With all the DLC that Bioware's released, it's finally a good game.
  2. Mar 18, 2012
    Simply mindblowing! Mass Effect 2 is much darker than the first one in its atmosphere and more of a cyberpunk. It gives off the same vibe as the Deus Ex series. I'd even go as far and to say that perhaps it is even more immersive and engrossing than ME1.
    I loved the first Mass Effect and I wondered how the second could possibly top it. Well, it has managed to improve on a lot of aspects from the first one, even though it did dumb down a little bit on the RPG element. Now you no longer have a huge inventory full of weapons and their upgrades. In some ways this is good, because you no longer need to spend time cleaning your inventory off the useless stuff, but on the other hand the game lost out on a lot of customization aspects. Mass Effect 2 is a lot more of a squad oriented shooter than the first one was. It improved a lot on the shooter aspect of the gameplay, like making the cover system better, the weapons are more fun to use, and generally the gameplay feels fresher and more polished. Just as with the first game, Mass Effect 2 is incredibly immersive. Not only do you get to travel all over the galaxy again and completing quests, but this time you have 10 team members (plus 2 more with DLCs) instead of 6. Although it might seem a lot, but each and every one of those characters is captivating and has been developed superbly. Although the main plot is not as much the focus of the game as it was in ME1, the game does not lose out here, because the story is more character-driven. You get to recruit each and every team member separately, and additionally you can also do a loyalty mission for each of them, which helps to uncover more of their background and you get to really know what makes each of them tick. On the romance front you have a lot more choice than in the first game too. The galaxy exploration aspect has improved as well. Now you get to actually scan each planet manually and harvest resources from it, which you then need to use on upgrades to your weapons, armor, and ship. I also want to mention that I was incredibly impressed with the final mission. "Epic" is simply not good enough of a word to describe that finale. The whole team is involved in that mission, and this is something I felt that the first game missed out upon. I am glad ME2 had the finale that it deserved. The mission was so intense that I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Your decisions in that mission could have huge effects on whether your teammates would survive or not. It is one of the most dramatic and most memorable moments of video gaming for me. And so to conclude, I'd say that Mass Effect 2 is almost perfect of a game. Sure, it might've lost some of the RPG feel that the first game had, but it's amazing in its own right. It did not remove the good stuff. It simply replaced it with something different. The only thing I can nitpick on is that the same button is used for taking cover, running, and interacting with stuff, so at times you might for example want to run, but Shepard will start talking to a nearby person instead, or you might accidentally take cover on the wrong side of the object in the middle of a gunfight. But that is a very minor nitpick and does not detract from the mindblowingly divine experience this game will provide you with. It's only been a day since I completed it and I am already longing to replay the game, so I started a new playthrough. That is how addictive it is.
  3. Feb 11, 2012
    If you still don't know MASS EFFECT, you should... Its all a RPG action game should be. To travel in many areas of the galaxy exploring, (like it would be with that technology), researching, doing espionage, rescue infiltration and search and destroy missions is extremely entertaining in this title. It makes the first title to look slow in combat and other elements (inventory and creditsIf you still don't know MASS EFFECT, you should... Its all a RPG action game should be. To travel in many areas of the galaxy exploring, (like it would be with that technology), researching, doing espionage, rescue infiltration and search and destroy missions is extremely entertaining in this title. It makes the first title to look slow in combat and other elements (inventory and credits makes it slow a bit), funny is that MASS EFFECT 1 is very entertaining, innovative and fun as well, but the second is awesome!! If MASS EFFECT 3 surpasses the second the same way it did to the first, we are not going to see another game so good in years to come, it will elevate you gaming experience. The DLC material is very good indeed and worth every penny spent, believe it, you dont want to leave it out of you gameplay. I singed up metacritic because of it and to warn you against the negative score that seemed nonsense. The mixed opinions are related to their taste for games.Im a big fan of STAR WARS games movies, magazines, toys and other, but everything that born must die a some day. MASS EFFECT came in that way. Expand
  4. Jan 3, 2011
    Greatest game ever dudes!!Graphics awesome,the best story,characters are perfect and so much more!!don't listen to the haters cause you will miss the Best game!!!
  5. Jan 26, 2012
    Simply awesome, at first its "good" but as you start playing it, it gets a lot better. Depending of what you say or do in the game, affects the story in some way. They are only a few problems like crashing and audio glitching out, but they appear rarely so it doesn't ruin the experience. I highly recommend this.
  6. Oct 10, 2011
    1. Bioware is a big dog dev, so all the advertising reviewers must give more than what it really deserve to get more ad money from them. (i.e. After giving bad review on square enix game kane and lynch 2, one of GS reviewers were fired.)

2. This is no longer an innovative TPS RPG hybrid once ME1 tried. This is average at best 3rd person cover shooter with stupid A.I. (If you want top notch 3rd psn cover shooter gears of war is the answer.)

3. Story is shallow as hell, almost no sidequest, no world exploration, linear story without any meaningful plot variations. repetitive combat, surprisingly stiff/ limited character animation for action game.

4. Cinematic graphic presentation and SF concept/ artwork and some cool biotic skill effect is the only things that save this mediocre cover shooter from rated more than what it really deserves.

Conclusion : cool SF concept art/ cool biotic skill effect will deceive your mind but underneath the shiny shallow shell, there's plenty of mediocrity of gameplay and contents at its heart.
  7. Mar 12, 2011
    Fantastic game. Different from the first, but great in it's own way. People are afraid of change and that's what this game did. Mass Effect 2 separated itself from the first Mass Effect giving players another great 50+ hour game. I have no complaints whatsoever about ME2, I highly recommend it. But, if you happen to be one of these "I hate change, make the game how I want it" type ofFantastic game. Different from the first, but great in it's own way. People are afraid of change and that's what this game did. Mass Effect 2 separated itself from the first Mass Effect giving players another great 50+ hour game. I have no complaints whatsoever about ME2, I highly recommend it. But, if you happen to be one of these "I hate change, make the game how I want it" type of players, then move along this might not be for you. Expand
  8. Sep 3, 2011
    OMG BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Love love love love it!!!! I really like what they have done with this new installment, I mean i love the whole franchise but, it really just gets better everytime i play it lol.
  9. Mar 21, 2011
    Simply the best game ever. You will never find a game with a better story line. Period. The graphics make your eyes want to tear up, the story makes you want to never quite player (and you won't) and impact of your decisions are felt throughout the game. An absolute must have. Anyone dissing this game has issues. It has one nearly every single award out there for a reason.
  10. Feb 13, 2012
    Overall, I like mass effect 1's more rpg like focus to it's mechanics and stats than mass effect 2's more functional and bare streamlining. However, while this game is a better rpg - it also has more lows in it's pacing. Some sections in mass effect are incredible and interesting, others are slow moving. I think mass effect 2 should have never removed the planet exploration. In the end. IOverall, I like mass effect 1's more rpg like focus to it's mechanics and stats than mass effect 2's more functional and bare streamlining. However, while this game is a better rpg - it also has more lows in it's pacing. Some sections in mass effect are incredible and interesting, others are slow moving. I think mass effect 2 should have never removed the planet exploration. In the end. I score both games the same. 9/10. For different reasons, mass effect 2 is a perfectly paced game, that was successfully streamlined. However lost some of it's scale as a result. Mass effect 1 was more ambitious, however it was occasionally boring. Expand
  11. Jun 21, 2011
    First off, I want to point out the stupidity of Users giving low scores at the moment. Almost all are giving it a low score because they release DLC's. Thats like criticising an author for releasing each of his books individually over 5 years instead of putting them in a 1000 page omnibus. Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece. A symphony of stunning graphics, sublime voice acting, innovativeFirst off, I want to point out the stupidity of Users giving low scores at the moment. Almost all are giving it a low score because they release DLC's. Thats like criticising an author for releasing each of his books individually over 5 years instead of putting them in a 1000 page omnibus. Mass Effect 2 is a masterpiece. A symphony of stunning graphics, sublime voice acting, innovative gameplay, incredibly gripping non-linear story and a rich sci-fi universe, brimming with lively characters. This will go down in the history of gaming. One of the greatest RPG trilogies that will ever be made. Expand
  12. Jun 5, 2011
    I ended up playing through this one 3 times in full and part of me still feels the draw to have another go. Flat out amazing game one of the best of 2010 for sure and I'd probably rank it in the top 10 games I've played of all time. And I've been gaming since you could fit multiple games on a 5 & 1/4 floppy.
  13. Jun 9, 2011
    Leading off with 10. Games are for fun, enjoyment diversion. ME2 delivered that to me in spades. The biggest gripe from others seems to stem from what an RPG is or isn't. For some the R stands for loot, inventory, tons of gear, options etc. For others the R is the characters, story and action. For me, the R is that latter. I really could care less about the drudgery of inventory andLeading off with 10. Games are for fun, enjoyment diversion. ME2 delivered that to me in spades. The biggest gripe from others seems to stem from what an RPG is or isn't. For some the R stands for loot, inventory, tons of gear, options etc. For others the R is the characters, story and action. For me, the R is that latter. I really could care less about the drudgery of inventory and looting that the original ME1 contained. For those that miss that, it's cool... to each their own. However to consider that "RPG Roots" reaches all the way back to pen and paper games, some of those were loot heavy gear fests and some where story, character and action driven. To claim that ME2 "oversimplifies the RPG genre", it really comes down to what you consider and RPG to be. It's a very individual choice... not an 'ending of the genre' as some might claim. My $0.02 Expand
  14. Aug 29, 2011
    Easily in my all time top 3. People are so afraid to be interested in a game that is not labeled rpg if they have already established themselves as hardcore gamers. Some games that are not role playing, or strategy games are actually good. Believe me when I say its okay to like a couple of shooters. Whether mass effect 2 is a shooter or an rpg, well the definition for rpg can be found allEasily in my all time top 3. People are so afraid to be interested in a game that is not labeled rpg if they have already established themselves as hardcore gamers. Some games that are not role playing, or strategy games are actually good. Believe me when I say its okay to like a couple of shooters. Whether mass effect 2 is a shooter or an rpg, well the definition for rpg can be found all over the internet. It is really sad that before jumping into an amazing game some gamer still have to convince themselves that it is an rpg, seriously guys you're not a gamer if that is all you are interested in. rpg players enjoy story line right? Expand
  15. Jan 28, 2012
    It is easier to list the things i disliked than the things I liked about this game. There was one main character I found slightly annoying, and I found myself wishing I could still drive ME1's landing vehicle around at will. What isn't there to love about ME2? Great characters, exciting plot. You really are compelled to gather a great and loyal team. Every character has his or her ownIt is easier to list the things i disliked than the things I liked about this game. There was one main character I found slightly annoying, and I found myself wishing I could still drive ME1's landing vehicle around at will. What isn't there to love about ME2? Great characters, exciting plot. You really are compelled to gather a great and loyal team. Every character has his or her own entire plot line dedicated to them to ensure your success in the climactic battle, a time where you make gambles as a leader as well as a fighter. Epic stuff in this box! I would have paid more than the $60 I laid down at its release in hindsight. Expand
  16. Sep 20, 2011
    You know, it's really hard to say something about Mass Effect 2. Speaking of myself, i was shocked by it.,really. It was such an amazing experience playing it (and BTW, no' i haven't played ME1 by that time) that it's really hard to write a review on this game. Still, i'll try.
    Well, what are the positive features of the game? First of all-amazing graphics. Trust me, you won't see anything like this in any RPG. Definitely. Secondly, the conversations. The style of them, the decisions you make by them-it's all outstanding. The characters themselves are one of the best characters created in the gaming industry. Each one of them is absolutely different from the other, has his own history, personality. And it's really interesting to discover all this.
    The only negative part of ME2 (i don't think it's bad, but some people do) is that Mass Effect Franchise isn't an RPG anymore. It's all about shooting, which is completely different from the first game, and this may dissapoint some people. I think it's more of a good thing, because it makes the game more breath-taking, but some people may not agree.
    So, finally, what can i say about Mass Effect 2? Awesome. Breathtaking. Amazing. And made me buy the First game ;)
  17. Oct 3, 2011
    Un juego exelente con buenos graficos, entretenido, abierto, con un gameplay inovador. Es la perfecta combinacion entre rol y acción, espero con anciedad la tercera entrega de este maravilloso juego
  18. Oct 22, 2011
    This is one of my favorite game. The story, the freedom of the player to choose his way in the scenario, and the gameplay are really perfect. I'd like to have more games like this one.
  19. Jan 21, 2012
    The games pretty fun, I love the storyline and is one of the best roleplaying games that wasn't made by Bethesda. I found the game not as fun as the first one, but it still doesn't affect my score. It is a fun game until you have to acquire minerals which is pretty boring. I loved how they included Genesis so I could transfer my player from the first game. Overall, I loved the game and IThe games pretty fun, I love the storyline and is one of the best roleplaying games that wasn't made by Bethesda. I found the game not as fun as the first one, but it still doesn't affect my score. It is a fun game until you have to acquire minerals which is pretty boring. I loved how they included Genesis so I could transfer my player from the first game. Overall, I loved the game and I can't wait until the 3rd comes out. Expand
  20. Feb 22, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is definitely one of the best action-rpg games in history. Even though people criticize the lack of inventory and different option, i actually like the streamlined changes. It puts more focus on the story and gameplay instead of stats. The story is definitely one of the best and the voice acting is terrific. t's hard not to love the hateful Illusive Man or Legion or Grunt.Mass Effect 2 is definitely one of the best action-rpg games in history. Even though people criticize the lack of inventory and different option, i actually like the streamlined changes. It puts more focus on the story and gameplay instead of stats. The story is definitely one of the best and the voice acting is terrific. t's hard not to love the hateful Illusive Man or Legion or Grunt. Mass Effect 2 seems to have done many things right and i am glad that it is a commercial and critical success. Expand
  21. Jun 15, 2012
    I'll start by stating that I'm anything but a Sci-Fi fan, so I guess what I have to say might carry a bit more weight than if I was.

I must say I dind't enjoy any game like I enjoyed Dragon Age:Origins for a long time, and yet, given the choice to play DA:O (which is more in line with the games is enjoy the most) or ME2, I'd have to think for a while and then probably choose Mass Effect 2.

I loved it so much I even started looking for a tactical first person shooter (which not my kind of game, really), which eventually lead to the discovery of Battelfield 3.

Overall, though not in my usual vein of games, probably the most satisfying game I ever played.
  22. Aug 2, 2011
    This game was really charming, beautiful and interesting.
    The plot twists were really though out, the story was very original and not a copycat from the first game.
    The characters were very developed and the action was improved over the last game. Mass Effect offered very great features and story while Mass Effect 2 improved over every aspect of the game. BioWare has made another great
    This game was really charming, beautiful and interesting.
    Mass Effect offered very great features and story while Mass Effect 2 improved over every aspect of the game. BioWare has made another great game with interesting story.
  23. Jan 23, 2012
    ...:::GAME OF THE DECADE:::...

An epic intergalactic experience that'll totally blow you away..
    This game just totally rocked my world

Must buy if you love the sci-fi genre!!
  24. Jul 23, 2012
    No much to say here! They fixed all bad things which was annoying in 1st part continuing awesome story and characters. Map system and fighting is also improved which made this game almost perfect. Play 1st part because of story line and this part for fun!
  25. Mar 30, 2014
    True sequel to the first masterpiece,again great story,improved gameplay elements.(only backfire is the new weapon and skill system in my opinion,but its easy to overlook that).
    And what catched me is,that how the game feedbacks on your imported savegame,you backstory.
    PLAY THE FIRST GAME FIRST!!!!! MUST HAVE FOR EVERYONE. Looking foward for the third one which i will start next week.
    PLAY THE FIRST GAME FIRST!!!!!
    MUST HAVE FOR EVERYONE.
    Looking foward for the third one which i will start next week.
    And so far,the best optimized game i've seen.It runs so well on my old P4 that im amazed.

[spoiler] it is really satisfying to hear how are the rachni(just save them :D),to meet old friends,to get **** up by krogans.:D
    To look at the universe,and see what you made with your choices.(council or TV report from ME1.)
  26. Aug 14, 2011
    Best game I have ever played in my life.
    The soundtrack, voice acting, gameplay. exploring and an open world game. Clocked this game 3 times and I intend to play more of it!

27. Nov 14, 2010
    This game takes the best of storyline, gameplay and graphics and sticks it into one box. You won't regret the all 20 hours it takes to beat the game, and you may even go back to beat it a couple (or five, hehe) more times doing everything different.
  28. Aug 20, 2010
    Very good gaming experience, I loved it from beginning to end. For me this game represent what the future of gaming is like. The story is great, the graphics are amazing, the sound is good and overall the game play is very satisfying indeed. For me this is the best game that came out this year!
  29. Aug 26, 2010
    Best god-damn game ever!
    I mean...I was just speechless when I played it!
    Can't wait for BioWare to release ME3 and import my Commander Shepard of The Normandy to it!!
  30. Sep 14, 2010
    As I played this game for the second time after I bough it when it was released I have to make a small review. And small it is. This game is awesome in every way. 10

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.