Mass Effect 3 PC

5.7

1. Mar 7, 2012
    I sincerely hope this is a joke. Come on, Bioware. Come on. This isn't even funny anymore, what happened. I miss great games like Baldur's Gate II, please stop doing this to me.
  2. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is, at best, a disappointing game. At its worst, it's a cliched mess of nonsense dialogue and forced decisions. What's most disappointing for me, is the separated structure of the game. Dialogue happens, then gameplay, then dialogue, then gameplay. There's no fusion. Mass Effect 3 has lengthy fighting sequences and lengthy dialogue and story sequences, but the two never mix.Mass Effect 3 is, at best, a disappointing game. At its worst, it's a cliched mess of nonsense dialogue and forced decisions. What's most disappointing for me, is the separated structure of the game. Dialogue happens, then gameplay, then dialogue, then gameplay. There's no fusion. Mass Effect 3 has lengthy fighting sequences and lengthy dialogue and story sequences, but the two never mix. There's no story in the fight, something happens then something else happens. It's depressing. This game has turned me off to Bioware. I won't be getting their next game. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The overall game was good up until the ending. Each of the ending, Shepard dies and the Mass Effect relays are destroyed. What really ruined it was half-way through the game on the Citadel someone asked that if the Mass Effect relays were destroyed if it would stop the Reaper attacks.

The ending was not original by any means. Your good ending is GREEN, the Reapers leave (but are not destroyed) because they had a change of heart. The bad ending is RED and literally, synthetic life is destroyed (Reapers, Geth, EDI, etc). The neutral/Illusive Man ending is BLUE and Shepard becomes the God of the Reapers, humans becoming the dominant race in the galaxy. I have decided at this point that I will never by another Bioware game. SWTOR was a letdown, so I unsubbed. Mass Effect 3 was watered down and unoriginal, so I am disappointed. Dragon Age 2 was disgusting and watered down, which disappointed me. Bioware went from telling amazing stories to just another EA company banking on a collective interest. Also, the Day 1 DLC was *essential* to the story and without it you're missing a huge chunk of information. $10 for content that should have been included with the game.

Bioware, this has already been done by the Deus Ex franchise. This is not original and I was very very disappointed.
  4. Mar 7, 2012
    Let's divide this in 2 categories Gameplay and Story

Let's divide this in 2 categories Gameplay and Story

Gameplay: I find myself in an amazingly dumbed down game. Mass Effect 1 was a great piece of Action Role Playing game, developing your own Sheppard was basicly the purpose of the game and your decitions would mean everything at any point of the game... ME2 ... dumbed things down but we still retained that feeling of control over the situations... ME3 simply disposed of this. Absurdly limited options at all times, guided responses and quite a lacking 'Action' feeling with dificult to track camera angles and constant shaking (that tries to emulate some sort of movie but instead just blocks your actions) tend to present themselves as a turnoff. The game is not Graphically impressive as it has shown, expressions are lacking and the overall presentation seems that relies too heavy on some sort of grain filter that bothers the eye.

the multiplayer is clunky and proof that trying to convert your Action RPG into a TPS RPG is not a good idea.

Story: After all this is an RPG, but let's leave aside that mostof your options don't matter, if the story is good one can forgive that... but we meet a pale shadow of what Sheppard was, that barelly keeps track of his recent disgraces only to form an alliance that may go nowhere (and that at the end serves little purpose) the crew of the Normandy presents itself as a cardboard version of their ME1 and 2 selves and the new characters are equally plain. I decided to see how the multiple companion options were but when I noticed that most of the effects meant "Sheppard gets laid, forgets the issue and then continues his quest" with no repercutions whatsoever simply... well, it shows how "important" relationships are in this game...

The endings are dissapointing and likelly copied from other sources, predictable options that serve no other pupose than forcing the player to play a few more times a few scenes... A Mediocre ending for a series that started greatly as a way to show hard science fiction... dumbed down into a mediocre soap opera about a crew that wishes to get laid during an open war.
  5. Mar 8, 2012
    I read all the negative user reviews and thought "meh, troll campaign". Having now bought ME3 I can tell you how wrong I was.

I started play and was greeted with a full-on 5 minute IG cutscene which told me nothing of what had happened since ME2, built no atmosphere and could have been better acted out by brewer's yeast. This would have been OK had there been something pretty to look at, however by the end of this protracted, dry-wretch-inducing fable I was still waiting for the textures to pop in. They never did; and neither did the skybox (which looks like a late 90s perlin noise experiment), text renderings (HO5M4H0V - oops, I mean NORMANDY - I'm looking at you), bullet graphical effects or any other advancement in graphics technology since the early 00's.

I have read complaints about the animations and I tend to agree with them, however I did derive some entertainment from this aspect of the game by finding a battle zone, blasting the Benny Hill theme from my stereo and then dashing around it, avoiding cover wherever possible. Due to the new "playability and experience-centric" combat system I actually found it quite difficult to die while doing this.

Sadly, the story-line and telling is the biggest casualty here. I don't usually complain about story-lines per se because usually this borders on personal preference - who gets mad at a book because things don't end the way they want them to? - but in this instance I feel I have to; the story line simply ignores anything that happened in any other ME game and the setting as a whole. Imagine if a scene in LOTR: The Return of the King had seen Sauron march up to Aragorn, flip on his ghetto blaster and serve him legal notice to get down and funky for hobbiton. Could be a great scene; shouldn't be in a LOTR movie - right? The writers of ME3 would disagree with you.

The voice acting is wooden and poorly synced with facial animations, just as the lines are tired, cliched and poorly synced with your dialogue "choices". I don't use those inverted commas lightly; the dialogue choices are akin picking one of two bottles labelled "coke" and "pepsi", one filled with water from the fountain of youth and the other with aqua regia. It's hard to take a game seriously when almost every dialogue choice plays like the grail scene from Indiana Jones and yet does nothing to advance the plot.

There's more - the controls, the "RPG" system, the AI and the return of the mini games (now transformed into button-press-cutscenes) - but, in all honesty and not being a terribly fussy gamer, I could have honestly enjoyed this game if it had got any one of the major parts above right. It didn't and hence I didn't. I sincerely hope that you have found this review persuasive (If you haven't bought it yet) or condoling (If you have).
  6. Mar 9, 2012
    Really disappointed in this game, played both ME1 and ME2...they were great. But this one is just bad, day 1 dlc really badly wrote ending
    overall emptyness of the game..just feels hollow... choices u made previous game make hardly any visible impact in this game. They had good series going on, feels like they just wanted to finish it fast and move to other projects.
  7. Mar 8, 2012
    Mass Effect was great . The story , the characters , the combat system . Pure brilliance . Then came Mass effect 2 , which took a step back from the rpg part , but made it up somehow with richer companion stories , great voice overs , and a story build up to the 3rd part , that while weaker than the 1st , gave a sense of continuity and a promise of great adventure to come with mass effectMass Effect was great . The story , the characters , the combat system . Pure brilliance . Then came Mass effect 2 , which took a step back from the rpg part , but made it up somehow with richer companion stories , great voice overs , and a story build up to the 3rd part , that while weaker than the 1st , gave a sense of continuity and a promise of great adventure to come with mass effect 3 . Well crap . This is the biggest disappointment in the history of gaming . Don't be fooled by the critics , I honestly think they either took money or they didn't play the game AT ALL . Its terribly linear , your choices are choices only in name , they affect nothing . Graphics glitches everywhere that break immersion constantly , the story is just stupid , and the ending ? REALLY ? The Kotor2 ending was a masterpiece compared to this . And while they are at the business of ruining a great game , how about cutting a very important piece of the story and charge extra for it from day 1 ? Yep they did that too .

Bioware , you are dead to me ....
  8. Mar 7, 2012
    So naive, so boring, and with such bad graphics and funny animation... I really don´t understand the critics at all. Are you guys crazy? Have you actually played the game? Or at least tried?
  9. Mar 7, 2012
    Strike 1: Adding multiplayer (oh come on really?) to a beloved SINGLE player series of games. If I wanted a multiplayer shoot em up I would play Counterstrike (don't even get me started on MW3). Strike 2: From Ashes DLC fiasco . Seriously? you're charging for DAY 1 DLC because you gave us multiplayer that we didn't even want in the first place? Strike 3: Boy am I glad I saw the leakedStrike 1: Adding multiplayer (oh come on really?) to a beloved SINGLE player series of games. If I wanted a multiplayer shoot em up I would play Counterstrike (don't even get me started on MW3). Strike 2: From Ashes DLC fiasco . Seriously? you're charging for DAY 1 DLC because you gave us multiplayer that we didn't even want in the first place? Strike 3: Boy am I glad I saw the leaked script and videos. "Yo dawg we made synthetics to kill organics, so organics wouldn't create synthetics to kill organics!" It's painfully obvious that the writing talent that made the first game so compelling is no longer involved. Maybe Bioware should think about hiring writers who, ya know, actually enjoy playing the games too. EA/Bioware, you have broken my heart for the last time. Multiplayer and Day 1 DLC I could *just* about have lived with, but the lack of choices carried over, and the contrived, lazy endings are a step too far. I will not be giving my hard earned money to you ever again. Fortunately I played a friend's copy of ME3 and can get my online version refunded (thanks Origin 14 day return policy!). Oh yeah, don't even bother pirating. Expand
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    I agree with this: Quote:

I agree with this: Quote:

/endquote
  11. Mar 6, 2012
    Can't believe I wasted money on this game. I'm going to waste two more minutes posting this to warn people about ME3, and that's it. And the "day one DLC" is an insult, what has become of the video game industry?
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    Absolutely awful, I've never played anything so bad, Bioware has been going downhill for a LONG time and has finally hit rock bottom, first The old Republic(butchered what could of been a great game) and now this monstrosity.
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    After playing this game for a while, I can surely state that it's a waste of time and money. Skip this game, it stinks. Bioware and EA should stop paying annalists for good reviews because it's ridiculous.
  14. Mar 6, 2012
    Well, I was going to buy this for $60 in the next month, but the introduction of Day 1 DLC has made me skip this altogether. Are you happy EA/Bioware? Your greedy attempts to squeeze an extra $10 out of me has instead cost you a $60 sale. If I buy this at all (and that's a big if), it will be when it is in a bargain bin for like $20 or less. You could've gotten the whole $60 out of me, IWell, I was going to buy this for $60 in the next month, but the introduction of Day 1 DLC has made me skip this altogether. Are you happy EA/Bioware? Your greedy attempts to squeeze an extra $10 out of me has instead cost you a $60 sale. If I buy this at all (and that's a big if), it will be when it is in a bargain bin for like $20 or less. You could've gotten the whole $60 out of me, I was really looking forward to this (I love ME1 and ME2), but your greed has backfired. Don't buy this. EA/Bioware needs to learn that the gaming community won't stand for this pathetic attempt to squeeze more money out of us. When we buy a game, we should get the full experience. If DLC is released, it should come out after the game does, and it should not make you feel like you're getting the short end of the stick only owning the the base game. This is the equivalent of spending money at the movie theater only to be kicked out halfway through because we didn't spend extra for the ending. Expand
  15. Mar 6, 2012
    There's not much to say. Bioware has clearly stopped trying, since they know the drones will just eat up whatever they serve. I loved the first Mass Effect, but it was all downhill from there.
  16. Mar 8, 2012
    Welcome to to the future of Bioware.. It really seems that all those guys that know what they were doing left Bioware and were replaced by characters inspired by the movie "Ideocracy". There is that otaku women which is probably a virgin and who seems to have a yaoi (gay male romances) fetish. Than there is that crazy dude I saw in a DA2 video and who came up with the "awesome button". AndWelcome to to the future of Bioware.. It really seems that all those guys that know what they were doing left Bioware and were replaced by characters inspired by the movie "Ideocracy". There is that otaku women which is probably a virgin and who seems to have a yaoi (gay male romances) fetish. Than there is that crazy dude I saw in a DA2 video and who came up with the "awesome button". And there is probably one EA suit dude who is never without his statistics why call of duty is so successful and who spams his opinion in every meeting that more explosions are needed. And with those 3 responsible for game design ME3 is what we got. Lots and lots of gay romances, just as much explosions, and the evolution of the "awesome button", the "awesome does all button"! And it really is awesome when you try to run away and instead take cover with your back exposed to the enemy! Yet just like with DA2, the most "awesome" button is the one which removes this **** from your hdd! Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2012
    The result here was massively predictable, given the controversy surrounding EA/Bioware's recent policies regarding their other games and their fanbase in general. All of which can be overlooked if ME3 turned out to be a decent game, which was not the case.

The end of ME2 actually set up a great cliffhanger and promised great things to come, and ME3 drastically feel short. This is mainly due to its focus on romancing options, having the personal trials of the crew overshadowing the main story, and an oversimplified explanation to tie up everything. Gameplay offers very little innovation from the last two games in the series, and the squad mechanics are downright retarded.
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 1 is the best PC port in the trilogy. more customizable keyboard bindings , walking stance on/off, you can holster your gun, better writing, better fov. This game is lacks all of these, they don't even care about PC players anymore. I can not fathom why they do not want to take advantage of the power of the PC and release high resolution textures, like they did with DA II. TheMass Effect 1 is the best PC port in the trilogy. more customizable keyboard bindings , walking stance on/off, you can holster your gun, better writing, better fov. This game is lacks all of these, they don't even care about PC players anymore. I can not fathom why they do not want to take advantage of the power of the PC and release high resolution textures, like they did with DA II. The game also has fewer dialogue options and more auto dialogue, they really really want the Gears of War derpy console market. Expand
  19. Mar 6, 2012
    I bought Mass Effect 1 on release, and it was great. I rented Mass Effect 2 and it was a bit of a letdown, but I still got some enjoyment out of it. I decided to try this even after all of the horrible things I have heard about it. This game is just a huge disappointment. Wonky controls, texture and graphical issues, retarded dialogue, and (oh boy) super politically correct gay sexI bought Mass Effect 1 on release, and it was great. I rented Mass Effect 2 and it was a bit of a letdown, but I still got some enjoyment out of it. I decided to try this even after all of the horrible things I have heard about it. This game is just a huge disappointment. Wonky controls, texture and graphical issues, retarded dialogue, and (oh boy) super politically correct gay sex scenes. Not to mention the ending is a huge copout. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this game. Expand
  20. Mar 7, 2012
    Do not buy this game. I repeat: do not buy. Never have I been so appointed with a supposedly *blockbuster* game. The let down comes not only from the video game itself, but the company philosophies behind the production and marketing. Mass Effect 1 was a fine game to begin with; Mass Effect 2 dumbed down the gameplay but intrigued with a mass universe of options and story lines. MassDo not buy this game. I repeat: do not buy. Never have I been so appointed with a supposedly *blockbuster* game. The let down comes not only from the video game itself, but the company philosophies behind the production and marketing. Mass Effect 1 was a fine game to begin with; Mass Effect 2 dumbed down the gameplay but intrigued with a mass universe of options and story lines. Mass Effect 3 has neither. EA & Bioware decided to throw away the fine-grained RPG elements and hooking storylines all together. Instead, ME3 became a gimmicky and overhyped product behind EA's big corporate strategies. First they refused to release the game on Steam (Valve's premium gaming platform with high praires from millions of players) because Valve had *incompatible* policies for publishing games. What does EA want? Right, spy on its users with Origin. Secondly, the honest user reviews here are both the truth and a protest to EA's review-lobbying strategies (9.2 vs 2.9 which do you really believe). What happened when they realized the truth? Like a dictating government, they pushed Metacritic admins to remove unfavorable reviews. Even if it's true that EA, Rockstar, Blizzard and other big game companies all buy high reviews for their marketing, at least MAKE A GAME that deserves to be praised. Not this piece of junk. Steam removals such as Dragon Age, Crysis, and Mass Effect .... I am not going to buy another EA game again. Expand
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    From the timelimited quests that you get from walking around (and you can't see the actual time limit) to the numerous dumb deaths of characters. The gameplay is, of course, even further dumbed down yet again. The writing is like something out of fanfiction, and the Reapers get retconned to hell and back.
  22. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was really anticipating this game from Bioware. I'm a huge Mass Effect fan but this title was WAAAY off the ball. There were some gaping holes in the plot that really needed to be fixed, graphical errors (shouldn't be too hard to fix in an update), and just the unbelievable lack of care in this. I have played all of the Mass Effect games and this one falls short, QWOP short. The game has progressively moved toward action and less RPG, which is what defines Mass Effect, and more toward Gears of War-ish style of play. True, the story was epic and completes bits of the story left over from other games; but I'm very disappointed in how the game ended. I wanted to play Paragon the whole way through but no, I have to do Renegade actions to even continue the game or I die! At the VERY end of the game I have to choose to control the Reapers, wipe out all synthetic life, or join synthetics and organics together (which just looks nasty at the end picture). These are pretty much all the same choices but enacted in different ways. And after all that Shepard has done, he dies in a giant Michael Bay cliche explosion? Bioware is better than this. It's a terrible way to end the series and I disapprove. Expand
  23. Mar 6, 2012
    After Dragon Age 2, I didn't believe that bioware will have what it takes to throw out another bad game. What has gone wrong with this once top-notch developer? Are they all short sighted with only cash in mind, or have they fired all those who actually cared about making a good game with pressure from EA to crank out more dough. What happens in the end, non of us would know. One thing weAfter Dragon Age 2, I didn't believe that bioware will have what it takes to throw out another bad game. What has gone wrong with this once top-notch developer? Are they all short sighted with only cash in mind, or have they fired all those who actually cared about making a good game with pressure from EA to crank out more dough. What happens in the end, non of us would know. One thing we are sure though is that Bioware is no longer the esteemed developer it once was, its reputation going down the drain in a year, with ME3 being the final nail to the coffin. Disappointed. Expand
  24. Mar 6, 2012
    A lot of the reviews here seem to be from people who haven't played the previous games. As a completionist Mass Effect 1 & 2 player who reached level 60 and then level 30 I think I am in a very strong position to advise you all on this game.

Let me begin by saying I detested Mass Effect 3. It turns out every choice I made in the first two games was wrong; Bioware didn't like the way I played so have fixed all my choices for me.

You wanted to be a full renegade heterosexual male Shephard? Sorry, Bioware says you were wrong. It turns out you were gay for Garrus all along. Do Bioware really need a 10 minute homosexual love scene in the intro? As an adult I could understand, if not accept, what was happening to my character, but will the younger generation? My prediction is that, like my Shephard, they will be pretty butt hurt.

And this is repeated throughout the game:

You wanted to save the Collector base? Sorry, Bioware says you were wrong. You wanted to kill Tali? Sorry, Bioware says you were wrong. You wanted to liberate the Promiscuans data? Sorry, Bioware says you were wrong.

The concept of making character choices which worked so well in the first two games has been removed from this third chapter. Bioware knows better than you.

Also the chat skipping bug is still there, where you accidentally select the next line of dialogue when trying to skip through the endless terrible cut scenes. Hint: make sure you save regularly so you can undo the inevitable homosexual consequences.

My rating: 0/10
  25. Mar 6, 2012
    I am generally morally opposed to writing reviews for games I haven't even played, but it's okay this time because I have played ME1&2. Since EA is in the business of making the same games over and over until they run them into the dirt, it's safe to say that I have already beaten this game a million times. Seriously though, EA can eat a bag of male sexual organs. We're tired of beingI am generally morally opposed to writing reviews for games I haven't even played, but it's okay this time because I have played ME1&2. Since EA is in the business of making the same games over and over until they run them into the dirt, it's safe to say that I have already beaten this game a million times. Seriously though, EA can eat a bag of male sexual organs. We're tired of being treated like criminals for being fans. We're tired of you pulling content from your games and selling it at premium prices on or directly after launch day. We don't want Origin because one game launching client is enough. You don't need access to our computer files. EA is a criminal organization that peddles their franchises to the masses with the absolute most devious money-grabbing methods possible. EA is the cancer that is killing all the creativity in the games industry, and they will do and say anything to get away with it. Don't buy this game. Expand
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    I came expecting the continuation of the world of Commander Shepard and his battle against the Reapers. What I got was "Kill Everyone : The Movie"
    The gameplay (What should be a major factor in any game, "RPG" or not) was severely lacking, feeling like contemporary shooter #8153. The animations looked like some kid's first Garry's Mod video. And the ending, the ending is just plain bad. I hoped Bioware would make ME3 the best one of the trilogy, but this has to be the worse of the 3.
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    In all honesty, 2/10 is being generous. Bioware has consistently proven that they are one of the worst video game companies. The fact that they rely so heavily on downloadable content, and squander their funds on shooting copies of the game into space instead of actually putting effort into it will forever astound and confuse me. The first Mass Effect was a decent game, and I would give itIn all honesty, 2/10 is being generous. Bioware has consistently proven that they are one of the worst video game companies. The fact that they rely so heavily on downloadable content, and squander their funds on shooting copies of the game into space instead of actually putting effort into it will forever astound and confuse me. The first Mass Effect was a decent game, and I would give it an easy 8/10. However, over the second and third installments, more and more content was taken away and casualized. On top of this, great chunks of the game were cut out to later be sold for more profit in DLC. This portrays Bioware as the money-grubbing gamer-hating company that they really are. They capitalize on the popularity of a product, and cast aside the devoted fanbase in order to garner more sales from less involved gamers who buy annual releases of Call of Duty. It's a sickening fact, but it's true.

The writing is also piss poor, and almost insulting to those who enjoy quality storytelling in their video games, or any other medium in general. Gameplay has further been dumbed down to include a one hit kill melee button, and squad members have lost all of their interesting angles by becoming strange amalgamations of jersey shore contestants and jocks, or characterized versions of their former selves.

I urge you to stay away from this game, or at least buy it used so Bioware does not get any of your money. Gamers who buy these releases should be ashamed of themselves for hurting the industry further by giving Bioware the ability to make more low quality games for ridiculous amounts of money.
  28. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't think I've been more disappointed in a game in a long, long time... The combat is just all around boring, in fact I would say it's even worse than the second games combat (which was bad). The storyline is borderline bad fan-fiction, but the worst part is the choices. The choices in this game are pretty much non-existent, with the dialogue wheel being further gutted to make it appeal to a wider audience. There are usually only two choices for any given conversation, and they always do the exact same thing no matter what. And speaking of choices, pretty much everything you did in the first two games is completely irrelevant in the third. If Wrex died in Mass Effect 1, he's replaced by someone who looks, sounds like, and acts like Wrex. Oh yeah, and they have the same clan so there's zero story difference. The Rachni are back no matter what you did with the last remaining queen in Mass Effect 1. You might as well not even bother importing a save, nothing will change and you will have to re-make the face anyway. Expand
  29. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I could've forgiven a lot about ME3 ... after all, I love the franchise. ME1 was amazing; ME2 I liked despite being railroaded into working for an organization I did my best to hinder at every turn during ME1, and having my Spectre status be meaningless; and despite ME3 having graphics that looked like they came from the 90s and introducing a completely unnecessary multiplayer aspect to a single-player RPG.

I could've forgiven them for all that ... but then I played til the end. Bioware's lead writer Mac Walters said the last in the series would be about our choices having impact ... but it didn't. No matter how good we were; how hard we worked; what choices we made, the galaxy is boned and there's nothing we can do to have *any* semblance of a happy ending. Does it happen in real life? Sure ... but we play video games to escape the hopelessness of real life and to have a chance, just a chance, to make a better world. I expected sacrifices, I expected tough choices, I didn't expect a deus ex machina.
  30. Mar 7, 2012
    For being a AAA title, Mass Effect 3 seems to be very cheaply made. Somehow the graphics seem to have gotten worse since Mass Effect 2, and it's very noticeable throughout the entire game. Textures are fairly low res (even on the PC version), animations are clunkier than ever, and most levels are very linear/claustrophobic but still lack detail (incredibly small maps with poorly madeFor being a AAA title, Mass Effect 3 seems to be very cheaply made. Somehow the graphics seem to have gotten worse since Mass Effect 2, and it's very noticeable throughout the entire game. Textures are fairly low res (even on the PC version), animations are clunkier than ever, and most levels are very linear/claustrophobic but still lack detail (incredibly small maps with poorly made skyboxes).

The dialogue is far worse than in the first 2 Mass Effect games, seemingly taking a lesson from Dragon Age 2's writers. The central plot is better, though the disappointing ending(s) and seemingly random character deaths manage to ruin it. Bioware has introduced more of the character customization found in Mass Effect 1, but at the same time the combat is worse than ME2's. The controls are extremely clunky, you'll often find yourself dying due to getting stuck in/randomly leaving cover due to having the space bar bound to several different actions. The AI is fairly basic, generally leaving themselves out in the open though Bioware have given them more shields/health to add artificial difficulty.
  31. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 3
    Average User Score: 4.4
    0 Mass Effect 3 Image If you would like to see my complete review please pay for my DLC. Otherwise it's sad to see a company let corporate greed drive them into the ground be releasing a game with part of it's content cut out for the sole purpose of a cash grab. As well as release a generic game that has gone so far from it's root that it should
    Mass Effect 3
    Average User Score: 4.4
    Mass Effect 3 Image
    If you would like to see my complete review please pay for my DLC. Otherwise it's sad to see a company let corporate greed drive them into the ground be releasing a game with part of it's content cut out for the sole purpose of a cash grab. As well as release a generic game that has gone so far from it's root that it should really be called "Generic shooter 3"
  32. Mar 7, 2012
    Very sad for a once great company.
    Bad dialog
    Using sprites for background characters
    Can't import faces from ME1
    The ending is literally copy/paste from Deus Ex
    Tali's face is a bad photoshop from a models website
    The vast majority of the time there are only 2 dialog options
    The list goes on

It really is quite pathetic
  33. Mar 6, 2012
    BAD Game! Truly disappointing. Bioware made 2 fantastic games in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 where you controlled Commander Shepard. Horrible ending as well. I am disgusted.
  34. Mar 6, 2012
    Worst console port ever... horrble controls, stupid story and almost all choices from the previous titles are without consequences. I regret my choice of buying this game.
  35. Mar 6, 2012
    well, i was totally dissapointed by this game. i loved me 1 and me 2 was even better, i had hoped that they would have fixed the problems in both in me3 and finished the story and it all sounded cool, the way that the game was laid out and how it would progress. i got it today and put it in and the first thing that i noticed was they changed everything about the old games. the graphicswell, i was totally dissapointed by this game. i loved me 1 and me 2 was even better, i had hoped that they would have fixed the problems in both in me3 and finished the story and it all sounded cool, the way that the game was laid out and how it would progress. i got it today and put it in and the first thing that i noticed was they changed everything about the old games. the graphics were realistic in 1 and got more realistic in 2, it looked like a movie. now it looks cartoonish or like an anime. this is probably the worst direction i could think of to go in for me. the first thing i noticed also was the alliance uniforms are different, those things on their shoulders are huge and the little chain thing, it all just screams anime or cartoon to me. i can't stand it. the next thing i noticed was the writing was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy worse than the first two. this is mass effect, its supposed to have excellent writing, like some of the best that you'll find. and i found the intro to be really just, im not sure how to describe it. bad. not on par with mass effect 1 and 2. the dialogue with characters in the game is worse, less detailed, less believeable. the story is just, bad. i mean, it seems like something youd find in some other video games but not mass effect. its not believable. characters just do a 180 from who they were in me2 or 1. they changed a lot of the graphics and the way the game works on missions from me 1 and 2 that didn't need changing. i heard a lot of people left or got fired or something for this game, and, you can definately tell. i heard one of the main writers left or was fired also, and you can definately tell that. at some times you can tell little pieces of the old mass effect series that are good, but mostly its something new and different and just doesn't play well. playing on palavens moon was pretty cool, and the geth ship next to the main battery. overall they just made all of these changes to something that didnt need changing. Expand
  36. Mar 7, 2012
    This is one of the most disappointing games I've had the misfortune of looking forward to, and the end of a trilogy I regret falling in love with. The creators of the game have cut almost every corner they possibly could have to push this game out as soon as they could. The A.I group up in a single file line in front of my gun, the enemies will randomly break cover for no discernibleThis is one of the most disappointing games I've had the misfortune of looking forward to, and the end of a trilogy I regret falling in love with. The creators of the game have cut almost every corner they possibly could have to push this game out as soon as they could. The A.I group up in a single file line in front of my gun, the enemies will randomly break cover for no discernible reason, when behind cover my camera sometimes starts shacking and falling through the floor, the reduced amount of dialogue choices we get are extremely lacking, interaction with the crew has been reduced, the story is terribly written, much of the lore from the original Mass Effect has been retconned, choices don't change as much as I and many others had hoped for, and all the endings are basically the same with minimal details and colors changed, and no were near as much diversity as you would expect from the ending of a trilogy where choices had initially been used as a selling point. Even the few things they did do better, an example being the much more detailed faces and facial expressions, are wasted by what I assume must be inexperience or lack of care by the developers when used out of context with the situation, or used to so much of an extreme that what little immersion I have is ruined. To add insult to the injury of finding out the game I had been looking forward to for so long had been half assed, they cut out entire parts of the game and attempted to sell them back to me as DLC. This is the last time I make the mistake of putting faith into an Electronic arts or Bioware game, and I would be very concerned about the direction the companies are taking if I was an investor. Screwing over the customer like this will work in the short-term, but the customer base will eventually catch on to the nickle and dimming tactics, and move on to friendlier companies that put out better products. In short, this game deserves a 0 for the price that it is being sold at because of bad developers, greedy publishers, and an overall poor ending to an otherwise great series. Expand
  37. Mar 7, 2012
    Literally the worst game ever made. If you bought this you are the cancer killing the games industry and you should probably kill you are self.
    Also hampurger helper.
  38. Mar 7, 2012
    Not having read any of the spoilers that leaked in the days before the release, I was excited to finally complete my Shepard's story only the feel like I've been slapped in the face by BioWare. I think they tried to make this whole game as if they were directing a sci-fi movie...And when I read earlier about BioWare not intending to make post-ending DLC, it only added to myNot having read any of the spoilers that leaked in the days before the release, I was excited to finally complete my Shepard's story only the feel like I've been slapped in the face by BioWare. I think they tried to make this whole game as if they were directing a sci-fi movie...And when I read earlier about BioWare not intending to make post-ending DLC, it only added to my dissapointment...oh well, enough of BioWare is my opinion Expand
  39. Mar 13, 2012
    Literally goes from a 10/10 to a 3/10 in the last 10 minutes of the game. What color would you like to destroy the universe with? I literally wasted hundreds of hours wasted on this trilogy.
  40. Mar 10, 2012
    I can't believe I'm actually going to say this but... the game is rather bad. Or rather, the endings (all of them) spoil the entire game and story experience. After ME 2 (which I rather liked) I did not expect an increase in RPG elements, nor the return of a proper inventory system. I was prepared for more of ME 2 play style and in that regard the game delivered what it promised. The storyI can't believe I'm actually going to say this but... the game is rather bad. Or rather, the endings (all of them) spoil the entire game and story experience. After ME 2 (which I rather liked) I did not expect an increase in RPG elements, nor the return of a proper inventory system. I was prepared for more of ME 2 play style and in that regard the game delivered what it promised. The story is decent (as far as I'm concerned) and the side quests make more sense than in ME 1, but the ending... OH MY GOD!! I am a grown man, I realize that this is just a game but still, the disappointment is really very very high. Totally uninspired, plot holes all over the place plus the whole Catalyst idea pulled right out of someones a*ss! Unbelievable, and totally unacceptable. Shame on you! Expand
  41. Mar 18, 2012
    I absolutely loved the game, felt emotionally attached to all my characters and couldn't wait to see how my favorite gaming series of the last decade would be concluded... Now I wish I had stopped ten minutes before I did.

The ending has completely ruined the experience for me, not only for ME3, but also the first two games. It's impossibly difficult to invest in a game you know will leave you an empty and broken husk at the end.

As someone so bluntly put it in a forum post: It's like eating a magnificent three-course dinner, only to be served fecal matter for dessert, forcing your body to expunge it all at a lethal velocity. No matter how good the rest of the meal tasted, you'll leave on an empty stomach and with a terrible taste in your mouth. I wish this wasn't true. I really do.
  42. Mar 13, 2012
    False advertising, lies and an ending that ruined the entire franchise. Nice work! I only gave it a 1 as the game up to the ending was fun - for a 3rd person shooter. If I had never played ME before and chose "action" mode over RPG and did not give care about the characters, I would have scored it an 8+ but as it stands, it's a travesty and a slap in the face.
  43. LLB
    Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After buying Mass Effect 1 recently with the full intention of going through the full Mass Effect trilogy, I really got captivated and engaged by the series' gripping plot, well-written characters and fluent, pseudo-realistic story. The controls on the PC were brilliantly tailor-made (this goes for both 1 and 2) and I really enjoyed my time with them.

Then this comes along.

After the disappointments of Dragon Age 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic, I got some worrying thoughts about this game from the start, and this was admittedly down to the completely negative effect EA have had on Bioware. This is to an extent that EA's CoD-centred demographic has affected Bioware to an extent that Baldur's Gate 2 is 10x more in depth than this game.

Baldur's Gate 2 was released 12 years ago.

That's unacceptable.

Horrendous controls, frankly stupid mechanics and omissions courtesy of Bioware, catastrophic textures which are clearly ported over from the Xbox, sub-par voice acting, torrid animations (Anderson's running animation is a particular highlight), almost complete lack of RPG elements which aren't backed up by the porrly orchestrated action sequences and an absolutely APPALLING storyline and script.

Here's a particular example.

My particular hand crafted Shepard character is a hardened war-hero. He's seen some **** to put it informally, he's seen countless squadmates...

But ONE death. Of a child (of which there already would've been many during this Reaper fight) who has no relation to him. THIS, forms the stimulus for the plot. It's unbelievable storytelling from Bioware, in that they would obviously try to be edgy whilst forgetting that their plot in the previous games was already gritty and edgy- in a good way.

Overall this has left me incredibly disappointed at what could have been, and also that the Bioware of old is gone. This is the future of their development, but they are guaranteed perfect scores from most media outlets because they're Bioware. They're famous. Regardless of quality they are who they are and apparently that makes them more worthy of other masterpieces which are much more worthy of people's time- The Witcher 2 is a perfect example of a beautifully crafted RPG.

This doesn't come close. Absolutely appalling game.
  44. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had to wait a few hours after finishing the game before writing a review because I wanted to take some time to look back on ME1/ME2 and be as fair and objective as possible when collecting my thoughts on ME3. This game is amazing in several ways: (1) dialogue between familiar (and to some extent unfamiliar) characters feels more real and natural, (2) combat is a lot more interesting and, in some scenes, more challenging than both ME1 and ME2, (3) the cinematic scenes depicting various key events in the story are visually engaging and easy to connect with emotionally, (4) the romance interactions between Shepard and his/her LI is a vast improvement from both ME1 and ME2, and (5) the overall visual element of the game (the Citadel, the new worlds that you visit--Rannoch and Thessia for example, and the characters themselves) made it really easy to immerse yourself in the game. Having been a huge fan of ME1 and ME2, I was happy to see that Bioware came through in these areas. I had moments where I laughed, moments where I felt giddy, and plenty of moments where I cried (e.g., Thane's death). That being said, I was incredibly surprised at how much the ending affected me. Up until the very last moments in the game (I would say up until the part where the destroyer reaper vaporizes people around you while you painfully drag yourself toward the beam), I would have given the game a 10/10 hands down. I would have bowed down to Bioware for telling the greatest story ever told. And then there was the ending: (1) The number of plot holes left is an insult to the bajillion hours that I invested in the first two games, (2) the Deus Ex-style ending completely chaffed my soul, and (3) I received next to NO closure on all of the relationships that I've been building up until the point. What happened to the people on the citadel (e.g., Bailey, the council, etc.) What happens to my team? What happens to the two squadmates that I took with me in the final battle scene? What happens to the races that I just spent hours trying to unite in hopes of a more relevant and fitting ending? I loved the Deus Ex ending in Deus Ex because it fit with what the story was about up until the end; Mass Effect was more than just a morally ambiguous thought exercise on organic vs. synthetic existence--it's SO much more than that--so why condense it all to that? I don't need Shepard to live in the end (and I certainly don't need a happily-ever-after ending where nobody dies and everyone is all smiles at the end of the reaper invasion), but I sure as hell was under the impression that I'd have the choice. I put so much thought into paragon vs. renegade, which is arguably the main driving force in the plot up until the very last scene, and it seems like no matter what you do you are boxed into an ending that's uncomfortable, unclear, and unnervingly disappointing. I was amazed at how emotionally connected I felt to the Mass Effect series, and spent what felt like an eternity looking forward to the final part of the trilogy. In terms of ME3, I felt completely satisfied with the exception of the ending, which seemed totally out of place and unnecessarily broke my enthusiasm and passion for the game. Do I hate the entire series now because of the way it ends? No. Will I deny that all 3 games are amazing in multiple ways and have allowed me to be a part of an epic story? No. Can I jump on the 10/10 bandwagon for ME3? Absolutely not, because the ending of such a huge story is critical, and in my opinion it was an epic fail in this game. If I could go back in time, I would probably have not played the game past Shepard's last speech to his/her team--at least at that point you were excited/terrified/scared, but you also had the hope that other characters instilled in you, and the hope that you spent so much time instilling into other characters. So in the end, I can't give this game a positive review, although it kills me to know that it would have been such an easy thing to do if the ending had (a) more variation and more of an actual decision-making component to it (such that all endings aren't essentially the same--I know there is room for argument here, but I maintain that it can all boil down the same basic ending), (b) incorporated more of the choices that you have been making for the past three games, (c) more relevance to the personal side of Shepard (e.g., how Shepard has evolved over time and who Shepard has become), and (d) more closure on all of the characters, relationships, and decisions that you just spent three games experiencing. You almost did it, Bioware. So close and yet so far. Expand
  45. Mar 9, 2012
    What happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to trulyWhat happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to truly write at all. Plot holes opening up all around you and with the endings ripped off from Deus Ex makes me wonder what exactly Bioware/EA were thinking when the final script was approved. The endings completely go against the spirit of the series and more than that they are all essentially the same my making every other choice up to that point completely null. I find it even more offensive that almost all of the RPG elements have become so watered down as to be unrecognisable. The conversation wheel which longtime fans of the series such as myself have come to know and love rarely shows up now. And even when it does all it offers is two ways to say the same thing. Even worse, your choices in the previous two make no really substantial difference in this entry either. Even the illusion of choice is gone. You almost don't get to converse with your crew at all. Instead your interaction is mostly limited to selecting them like you do with Zaeed Massani in ME2 and they talk a little bit while you just stand there. This becomes a big problem because ME3 throws in with no real introduction or background characters who are completely new or have only been featured in the Expanded Universe. I like the voice acting and appreciate that the world feels more alive now with background characters talking to one another when you walk by, that is when the sound doesn't drop out. It's unfortunate that the coders haven't learned anything, all the cut scene glitches are back in full force. Including the one where everyone uses the same assault rifle during the cut scene, regardless of whether or not they can even use one. It's nice to see all characters from the first two one last time, a little family reunion if you will. It's a shame that almost none of them will be joining your squad again. I do like the direction ground combat has taken though the removal of heavy weapons is another negative in my book. The day one DLC feels more like game content that was cut out rather than an actual add on. And having this nearly story essential DLC on day one is just plain greedy.

Mostly though I just can't get around the endings. It feels like a punch in the gut to those of us who were big fans of the first two. It's so out of left field that I almost expect M. Night Shyamalan to be responsible for this travesty. It's almost like ending The Lord of the Rings with Frodo riding a nuke into Barad-dûr with a cowboy hat on. I almost wish it would have been a Dallas-"It was all a dream" ending.
  46. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was great. I started out smiling, excited to get back into the universe of Mass Effect and the armored shoes of Commander Shepard. I continued smiling and grinning the whole game, everything was well written and made more or less sense, sure there were some McGuffins in the writing, but whatever, it's hard to write everything perfectly . Then the ending rolled around, we get a some sort of Deus Ex Machina, Shepard looses all of his character. The worst is that none of your choices matter, doesn't matter whether you went full-on renegade or paragon, whether you made sure every side quest was complete, whether you did everything right or everything wrong throughout the rest of the game and the other games, you get the same option of three endings that everyone else got. Congrats Bioware, you used to be my favorite game developer (You've held that spot since VALVe fell from grace). Guess I'll look for shelter in the arms of Bethesda now. Expand
  47. Mar 9, 2012
    I do not blame Bioware for the insult that is ME3 - I blame EA, for they have obviously leaned on Bioware to push this out way before it was truly ready, and the ending is where that rushedness is most obvious.

The storyline gets you going at places, and the cinematic scenes can be quite attractive at times, but you can just feel the DLC spam waiting to pounce. When it comes to sci-fi games, the original KOTOR and ME1 trumps this anyday, hell, the KOTOR gfx arn't that far off ME3.
  48. Mar 9, 2012
    I admit to being a bioware fanboy for darn ever......until now. I was willing to over look plot holes and other issues as every game has them. But to be railroaded into the worst end of a video game I have ever heard of....inexcusable!!! This whole series has been about rallying the galaxy to fight the reapers. It has been about choices. Then at the end...none of it matters. ChooseI admit to being a bioware fanboy for darn ever......until now. I was willing to over look plot holes and other issues as every game has them. But to be railroaded into the worst end of a video game I have ever heard of....inexcusable!!! This whole series has been about rallying the galaxy to fight the reapers. It has been about choices. Then at the end...none of it matters. Choose your color of pretty lights red, blue or green and by the way...everything is destroyed. Where is the button to press to kill the reapers without killing the Geth, EDI and yourself? Hell, the whole thing has space magic happening all over the place so why don't we have this option too? Why can't I have my CAKE!!!! :)

The only way we who have already spent our money have to vent is by down rating this game. Besides, with the endings that are currently in place no impartial reviewer would rate this game any higher than an 80. I would gladly rate this game a 10/10 if the endings didn't suck so hard. I have lost count of how many times I have played ME1 and ME2. With the ending of ME3 I can't work up the desire to make another play through. I don't even want to play the first 2 games as I know that it is just a waste of time in the end.

Bioware...fix this train wreck! I beg you, fix it now or say goodbye to many future customers.
  49. Mar 9, 2012
    The ending. Oh god. THE ENDING.

Why Bioware, WHY!?!?

I loved this game, seeing all my old comrades, everything leading up to the deciding moment where I'd save Earth and ultimately the galaxy. Then Bioware took a dump on my monitor.
  50. Mar 9, 2012
    While some improvments have been made in the area of customisation everything else is a massive let down. From the dumbed down content, to the horrific writing to the ending that is an obvious ploy to sell players a new ending as DLC. Bioware is dead. All that remains the corpse being violated by EA's corporate phallus.
  51. Mar 10, 2012
    Do you want to play one of the most engaging stories of this era? Do you want to become emotionally invested in your characters?

Do you want that all to amount to a Dixie cup filled with cold diarrhea because of the final 10 minutes of the series? Mass Effect 3, and by extension Mass Effect 1 and 2, are some of the most engaging pieces of fiction I've ever had the absolute joy in

Mass Effect 3, and by extension Mass Effect 1 and 2, are some of the most engaging pieces of fiction I've ever had the absolute joy in partaking in. However the final ending, and I say it singular because essentially there is only one, is so bitterly disgusting and so insulting that it has ruined this player's experience entirely. Any subsequent play throughs will be halted before the final 10 minutes take place. It really is that insulting.
  52. Mar 15, 2012
    The train-wreck of an ending combined with the single-player storyline results depending (somewhat) on multiplayer participation make this - easily imo - the worst BioWare game I have ever played. I've been playing BioWare games on my PC for nearly 15 years, and have never been so disappointed. Combined with the Day One $10 DLC and the company's accompanying lies, I'll be thinking hardThe train-wreck of an ending combined with the single-player storyline results depending (somewhat) on multiplayer participation make this - easily imo - the worst BioWare game I have ever played. I've been playing BioWare games on my PC for nearly 15 years, and have never been so disappointed. Combined with the Day One $10 DLC and the company's accompanying lies, I'll be thinking hard before ever buying another one of their games. (For those not aware, BioWare stated that the "From Ashes" DLC was developed after the game was finished and in QA. Players poking around in the data files on the game disks have since found a bunch of the DLC-related models and voice-overs.)

Edit:
    With all the speculation regarding the endings pretty much done due to BioWare's recent statements, I'm revising my review downward. This is the ending the company wanted, and this is the ending we need to accept. So ME3 now gets a 1/10 from me. If they do something about it at some point, I may revisit the score. But as of now, I'll never be buying another EA title again.
  53. Mar 8, 2012
    What a crap game! Bioware has done it again! Crap characters, crap story and crap setting. I don't understand all the positive reaction from users. They can't be playing the same game as I am. Either that or they are running a smear campaign against the public because they think we're homophobes. If that is the case - GET A LIFE!
  54. Mar 8, 2012
    Synopsis review: Mass Effect 3 sure looks great (Models look nice, both characters and levels, and no visible textures problems on the main characters/levels.), yet it has many deep flaws that cannot be forgiven, these flaws are: The ending was horrible, a lot of issues story wise, very weak animations, the level design is mediocre (I said it looked nice, but design of a level does notSynopsis review: Mass Effect 3 sure looks great (Models look nice, both characters and levels, and no visible textures problems on the main characters/levels.), yet it has many deep flaws that cannot be forgiven, these flaws are: The ending was horrible, a lot of issues story wise, very weak animations, the level design is mediocre (I said it looked nice, but design of a level does not equal the quality of the models/textures/UVs.) and to round this list off; There are some issues cornering the gameplay. While being a resident of the Netherlands, I was obliged to actual download this new, and fresh game from Bioware: Through the Piratebay. (Your jimmy can remain unrustled, it is legal here to do so.) Yes, really the Dutch law allows for downloading of everything. Look into our Wetboek van Strafrecht if you don not believe it, Biodrones. Warning: Spoilers. Anyway, time for the main review: After the start-up the menu looked clean and normal, and even for a console-port it had many options within the options menu. I could actually change AA-options, any many other things to! (Poly amount of the characters and levels, resolution of the textures, etc.) I applaud the people who designed the menu, I consider this menu one of the better things of the game. And after playing the game itself I noticed that the animations are very weak, the NPC's walk and run like any random Bethesda character. (For the scrubs, this means that when a NPC decides to run his upper body doesn't show any sign of the running that is going on, it's horrible.) The level design is also pretty bad, while not as bad as the animations, it's still weak. The potential of the nice models/textures isn't fully used in the design of many levels. This might be because of the CoD approach, yet it feels more like a corridor shooter then a game where a full blown assault is launched against the ENTIRE universe. (The last levels really show this off.) For instance take the level where you join up with the Turians: There is a very tiny space where you can walk and find/talk with NPC's. One reaper walking somewhere near the base, and a small vista here and there. It should be: A big and well designed fighter base. This is not the case. That's a bit sucky, Bioware, sucky indeed. Story and gameplay then: The two most important thing in games ever. Story wise everything comes to an end. This is ok, yet it feels cheap: Tali jumping of a cliff, Miranda dying, that doctor alien dying, these NPC's survived almost two games, and now they all die by jumping off a cliff. Blergh. Also some other NPCs are poorly written, from characters that are really stereotypical gay (In a game that takes itself very serious this feels strange and awkward, it's just as bad a stereotypical straight character.) and two NPCs that keep making talking gestures yet they do not speak. And I found this couple of mime players throughout the game, perfect for movies, weak for games. Toke me out of the immersion. My final note is on the very low rating, while Bioware/EA deserves this. ME 3 would get a 5 maybe a 6 out of 10. Yet this very low grade it due to a few events, first off all: Dear Bioware, hiring people who do not like to play video games will get you a 3.2 for your 20+ $ million game. For sure. And going after the CoD audience is even worse, the average gamer is 32 years old, Caucasian, semi-Atheist/christian, that raises the question: Was this game created for the average gamer? In my opinion: Nope. Leave this game be, and if you see it in the shop, place another game in front off it so people don't throw away their money. Sigvatr out.

Edit: After playing the game some more I have seen a lot of sprites. Lowering the score to a zero because of that. Sprites in a 3D game? Almost in front of the player, Bioware please! Shameful Display!
  55. Mar 6, 2012
    First EA decides to remove Mass Effect from Steam and make it an Origin exclusive. Them EA starts supporting SOPA. Them Bioware spits on its fans, by releasing a extremely relevant DLC on day one. It is very clear that they want to maximize their profits... but, who doesn't? Every single developer of every single company wants to "milk their fans". The problem with EA is that they do itFirst EA decides to remove Mass Effect from Steam and make it an Origin exclusive. Them EA starts supporting SOPA. Them Bioware spits on its fans, by releasing a extremely relevant DLC on day one. It is very clear that they want to maximize their profits... but, who doesn't? Every single developer of every single company wants to "milk their fans". The problem with EA is that they do it in a way that we feel exploited. I dont care about wasting 60 dollars on a good game. But buying a game for 60 bucks, on a EXTREMELY worse online platform than Steam, and feeling that my game is missing a very important part of the story unless i spend another 10 dollars, it is too much. I bought Mass Effect 1 and 2, and I`m not going to buy the 3rd game. Shame on you Bioware! Expand
  56. Mar 6, 2012
    Played it for an hour. It's completely unfun. The levels are EXTREMELY linear. There's no sense of discovery or anything, just a generated static level with a few objects thrown in, and a straight line to follow. If I were 8 again, I would still be getting bored by how uninteresting the levels and objectives are.

The main quest is just a compilation of side quests where you meet

The main quest is just a compilation of side quests where you meet characters from Mass Effect 2. You might ask "how can you know if you only played for an hour?" It's easy to tell since it's the exact formula from Mass Effect 2 (which I actually played through, somehow). You do a billion "data retrieval" quests where you just infiltrate some building that has data in it, kill a billion enemies that you couldn't possibly die to even with the highest difficulty on, and then go back to your ship and make some sort of progression.

It's disgusting that you can actually just rush a game and expect to make money. I'm sure they'll sell 80 billion copies somehow, even though it's really nothing more than a 65$ expansion pack.

I give it a 0/10 because I'm actually annoyed even though I played it at a friend's house, and didn't pay for it. I haven't been this disappointed for a game since Dragon Age 2 (ANOTHER BIOWARE TITLE!, WHAT A SURPRISE?!).
  57. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm rating this a steady 4. Aesthetics are amazing compared to the first 2 games, but that's pretty much where the pros end. Paragon/Renegade are useless now (they are joined together into "Reputation"), the spacebar for everything got me killed a few times, diplomacy between the Geth and Quarians is not possible, etc. I could handle misc team members from ME2 dying if you didn't help them in time, I could handle that you only have 6 squad members, but the thing that turned me off to the whole series is the lack of effort given in the final ultimatum... Such terrible, non-redeeming options. It makes me not want to replay the series because I know the end is not worth it. Expand
  58. Mar 6, 2012
    Hundreds of day 1 DLC's, explosions like a Michael Bay movie, bad story, bad ending, mediocre gameplay. Do NOT buy. This game was marketed only for the COD fanboys and is just a sad attempt at cashing in. Shame on you Bioware.
  59. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just want to say this before I begin: I loved Mass Effect 1 and I loved Mass Effect 2, despite how streamlined it was. Characterization was excellent and I felt like I was accomplishing something everywhere I went. That just doesn't happen in Mass Effect 3.

I'm about 15 hours into the game and I've been really, really trying to enjoy it, but none of the content really feels "right." You're fighting a war to defend the galaxy from total extinction but no one will help you until you clean their noses and make sure the dishes are tucked away nicely. It's ridiculous. Combat has been simplified even further, but instead of enemies dying in a few hits like they did in ME2 which allowed for good flow they are all bullet sponges. Eventually I just gave up on using my guns and punched everyone to death because it was faster and actually did damage.

Animations are absolutely hideous. Running, walking, talking, everything is just freaking awful. When you run your arms flail around ridiculously and everything is stiff. Just go watch Anderson running in the demo to see how bad it is.

Characterization has also taken a big hit. You get bulk mcbigguy who randomly switches between English and Spanish at will, bland Asari, etc. Mordin's voice actor was replaced with someone who lacks the same charm as the original and they even managed to butcher Garrus. That's not even mentioning how bad the dialog is. Here are some examples without spoilers:

Shepard: How are things?
    Person: Bad [specific details].
    Shepard: That bad?
    Person: Yes.
    ----
    Shepard: How are you holding up?
    Person: It's tough, you know?
    Shepard (Paragon): There was this kid back on Earth, I watched him die before your eyes.
    Person: That sucks.
    ----

I am truly disappointed. I didn't believe that Bioware could mess up this badly after Dragon Age 2, I thought they learned their lesson. I was wrong.
  60. Mar 6, 2012
    Given the potential of the first two games, and all the news and promises, I really thought BioWare couldn't go wrong with this game. Man, I was wrong.

From the terrible dialogue, to the obviously rushed and illogical plot "twist" and the endings ripped-off from Deus Ex, Mass Effect 3 not only proved to be a poor game but it also made me feel like I wasted countless hours playing and replaying the first two games.

Talking about the first two games, playing them is completely optional, given that no matter what (thousands) of different choices you made, the end-game is strictly the same for everyone. Nothing you do really matters. Yet again, we were only given the illusion of choice.Despite all the false advertisement by BioWare, we are playing THEIR (poorly written) story, not ours.

And not only they ruined the story, but the gameplay experience continues to move towards the generic-3rd-person-fps path, with dumbed down dialogue, less choices to be made, characters introduced to appease the teenage boys and girls and the (profit-aimed and unnecessary) addition of multiplayer. BioWare definitely wants new target market - one in which I'm certainly not included.
  61. Mar 7, 2012
    It has good elements, and the gameplay itself is generally fun, but the awful characters, writing, plot, the fact that its about 15 hours long and features 4 companions while claiming to be a rpg along with the whole dlc catastrophe drags this guy down to a 2.
  62. Mar 6, 2012
    Worse game of the series, not to mention Origin deepthroats flaccid donkey penis to the max. Do yourself a favour and avoid this garbage and the pos spyware EA wants to force you to install.
  63. Mar 6, 2012
    Its a plataform game, and for PC dont have controller support, this is ridiculus....Wrong move bioware!
    So simple dont u think?Put some support for xbox controller, why this dont have?Strange...
  64. Mar 6, 2012
    YA Blew It

YA Blew It

This game really nose dived faster than the Titanic. Horrible clunky control, bad user interface, and just plain embarrassingly horrible writing. The RPG elements are completely gone, the game feels like COWADOOTY GEARS OF WAR IN SPACE with homosexual references shoved down my throat. Now I consider my self a post modernist moral relativist secular-humanist transgender in the embodiment of female form but the homosexual references about how Commander Shepherd sucks the best dick on board the ship etc, etc is just way to forced. I personally blame Jennifer "the land whale" Helper, she is not a true ally of the QUILTBAG (Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans, Bisexual, Asexual, Gay) movement. Some respected sources such as Alex Jones even suggest that she is confirmed Mossad spy sent by Yugoslavia to damage the image of us QUILTBAGs. To me it seems plausible, just look at bad ME 3 portrays homosexuals and it's not too hard to believe. That's about it, pretty much glad it's over.
  65. Mar 6, 2012
    >hamburger helper
    >bioshit
    >$900 dlc
    >actually uses sex to advance the plot
    >shit ending
    >average third person shooting mechanics
    >console graphics
    0/10 bioware, step it up
  66. Mar 7, 2012
    This game, and the second one, is a result of poor standards for the gaming industry. A bad plot, and shoehorned in character development. There is no more exploration, no more mystery-it's hallways and FPS action sequences, chased down with unwarrented romance options. This is the same "quality" of work from DA2, and it's not just dissapointing, it is downright insulting to the playersThis game, and the second one, is a result of poor standards for the gaming industry. A bad plot, and shoehorned in character development. There is no more exploration, no more mystery-it's hallways and FPS action sequences, chased down with unwarrented romance options. This is the same "quality" of work from DA2, and it's not just dissapointing, it is downright insulting to the players who've waited for these games. Expand
  67. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved the first Mass Effect. Bioware has absolutely ruined Mass Effect for me with this latest installment. Horrible endings, writing, etc. What Bioware has done to this series that had so much potential from the first installment is criminal. Avoid this game, avoid this developer.
  68. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. im about 6 hours in...and im gonna flat out say ME 3 has jumped the shark.

i had just finished playing through ME1 + ME 2 to get hyped for ME 3...and it just feels

....like its made for guidos....i legitimately feel dumber for playing Mass Effect 3. the first thing i said when i got on the Normandy was..."what the **** is Ronnie from the Jersey Shore doing on my ****ing ship?"...then i realized it was James, the new guy...frohawk and all...the first hour alone is 95% cutscenes with 100 BAYSPLOSIONS that you have no interaction with.

the dialogue and voice acting is horribly done....everything feels force and emotionless. every piece of dialogue is centered around THE REAPERS and THE PROTHEAN DEVICE, which aria magically has the only access to..BUT NO ONE KNOWS HOW IT WORKS. garrus is as souless as a polititian. the council dilibrates and discusses things like theyre a group of high school girls. its so ****ing bad its hard to play.

the interaction with the game feels like its designed for 10 year olds. scanning consists of pinging for THE REAPERS. there is no planet scannign or resource finding...theres WAR ASSETS...loot finding consists of open your eyes and look for the green reticule.

the illusive man randomly shows up on mars...goes haha im backstabbing you...and dissappears...WITH NO EXPLANATION. you magically get spectre status which grants you a **** ton of cash...THERES NO DEPTH TO THIS GAME. i played as an adept through ME 1 and ME 2 which was ****ing fun...but the gameplay for adept in ME3 is use power + m1 + wait for cooldown + power + m1 + wait for cooldown...while the game throws hoards of enemies at you. its not fun.

the worst part is...shepard has been pussified beyond belief...i regrettably saved ashley (who went from unattractive in ME1 + ME2 to super hot in ME3 btw) and the first 3 hours of the game surrounds this bull**** love triangle between ashley and aria...and out of no where...this guidette shows up to replace kelly on the normandy and starts getting jealous of EDI because its giving Shepard orders. theres one really obvious boob shot that was the most obvious ploy for guidos to get hooked on the game, it was pathetic. THE SOB STORY WITH THE LITTLE BOY AND THE DREAM SEQUENCES MADE ME FEEL EXTREMELY HOMOSEXUAL AND FEMININE. I DID NOT EVEN HAVE A CHOICE TO SAVE HIM OR NOT. I HAD TO FEEL BAD.

i know im just ranting...but im gonna keep trying to push through the game til it gets better...but the more i play the more i feel like im getting dick punched in the jaw.
  69. Mar 10, 2012
    The trilogy is ruined. This game is worse then ME1 & ME2 in any possible way. And I want to ask: why in the world ppl would kill their best franchise? Why threw away everything their games were loved for and replace it with things that console games are hated for? Do they really think that bad console games are more popular then good pc-games? I'll disappoint u, Bioware, in our countryThe trilogy is ruined. This game is worse then ME1 & ME2 in any possible way. And I want to ask: why in the world ppl would kill their best franchise? Why threw away everything their games were loved for and replace it with things that console games are hated for? Do they really think that bad console games are more popular then good pc-games? I'll disappoint u, Bioware, in our country only 1/4 of all gamers have consoles. Many ppl who can afford console (like me) don't buy it. U know why? Because most of console games are crap! They just are. U wanna make this crap? Ok. But I won't buy it any more. No more mass effect or dragon age - no more disappointments.
    P.S. Kill your writers or buy them new brains.
  70. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass effect 3 a epic conclusion? More like a epic disappointment.
    I felt that the ending was a major slap in my face and leave a bitter taste
    in your mouth!
  71. Mar 13, 2012
    This was supposed to be the game that completes the mass effect series and gave closure to its loyal fans. Instead, this game was dumbed down to the levels of COD. Mass effect 3 focused more on shaking screens and big explosions than good story/gameplay. Through the whole thing, while we still had choices to make, it felt like my hand was being held between the times we could makeThis was supposed to be the game that completes the mass effect series and gave closure to its loyal fans. Instead, this game was dumbed down to the levels of COD. Mass effect 3 focused more on shaking screens and big explosions than good story/gameplay. Through the whole thing, while we still had choices to make, it felt like my hand was being held between the times we could make choices in dialogue.
    The world was also disappointing. The normandy got smaller with fewer interactable characters and objects, and so did the citadel. There was less time spent exploring new places.
    When shopping for weapons, you don't see the specs of the weapons in the shop compared to the weapons you already own. You'll have to buy the weapons to see how it stacks up against what you already have.
    And like the others have said, the biggest screw up is that the choices that you make during me1, me2, and me3 don't matter in the end. All in all, the game was like a bad movie: They put all the good parts in the trailer, and the rest of the movie sucks.
  72. Nil
    Mar 6, 2012
    So, let's start. My last review got deleted.
    Why? This game genuinely deserves a 1.
    -Disregards previous installments. -Gameplay is akin to Gears of War, this is not a good thing. -Graphically inferior to the previous game in the series. -Horrible, uncanny valley, character models. -Favors "sexy" over logic. -Story driven game with a story so badly written, including cheap emotional
    So, let's start. My last review got deleted.
    Why? This game genuinely deserves a 1.
    -Disregards previous installments.
    -Gameplay is akin to Gears of War, this is not a good thing.
    -Graphically inferior to the previous game in the series.
    -Horrible, uncanny valley, character models.
    -Favors "sexy" over logic.
    -Story driven game with a story so badly written, including cheap emotional manipulation attempts. Oh sorry, I am meant to cry about a child who turns out to be important just because.
    -Old characters die in unimpressive scenarios and for no real reason. Remember those characters from previous games? They are not important anymore.
    -Enemies are simple, gameplay tediously repetitive whack-a-mole.
    -Disregards choice, it gives you the illusion of selecting where or what happens, but in the end this doesn't affect outcome. Ending choices happen LITERALLY at the end. Whatever you did beforehand plays no role in the end.
    -The ending.
    -The dialogue throughout.

Overall this game took everything that is wrong with modern games and tacked it onto this franchise, a franchise we once loved and cared for.
    This is completely unacceptable.
  73. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game itself was, by far, the best of the series. However, it was absolutely ruined by a slate of unbelievably sour endings. None of your previous choices matter in the end. The last twenty minutes are depressing and bleak, even with the "good" ending. If your are emotionally invested in your squadmates or LI, proceed with caution and expect the worst; for the worst manifests. The Bioware writing crew seemed to go the extra mile, complete with introducing inexplicable plot holes to make the endings extra dour. The ending will ruin it for you. Promise. Expand
  74. Mar 6, 2012
    The story is very unoriginal, and many aspects contradict the lore of the ME series. Basically you're paying for a reskinned Gears of War here, much like ME2. Even worse, the writing in this game is abysmal. My 7 year old niece could come up with better script and story than this. The ending is the star in this. Do not buy this game.
  75. Mar 6, 2012
    Seriously disappointing. The game is a prime example of how negatively popularity can affect a game, not that popularity in and of itself is a plague to forms of media, but a wider audience means the developers must pander to more people, stretching a game far too thin to be any good to a real fan.

The combat is clunky, you can't even sprint through a simple fire zone without sticking to a wall like a refrigerator magnet, the writing is hamfisted, the characters feel either gimmicky or totally bland, and the multiplayer is lackluster, and to top it all off, first day DLC that could have just been included in the game in the first place.

A truly worse-than-mediocre experience.
  76. Mar 6, 2012
    If you look closely at Mass Effect 3 you will see the last tiny bit of Bioware's soul rot away, consumed by EA forever. As someone who has been a fan of their games from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age: Origins, seeing how far they have fallen has been a painful experience. Writing has deteriorated to the most basic black and white, with most dialogues presenting only 2 options rather than 3.If you look closely at Mass Effect 3 you will see the last tiny bit of Bioware's soul rot away, consumed by EA forever. As someone who has been a fan of their games from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age: Origins, seeing how far they have fallen has been a painful experience. Writing has deteriorated to the most basic black and white, with most dialogues presenting only 2 options rather than 3. As was feared the series ends with a Deus Ex Machina (quite literally as the ending was almost entirely stolen from the game Deus Ex). Further evidence plagiarism of a desktop wallpaper of all things in the game's FINAL SCENE does not help Bioware's case. The whole thing seems like it was rushed with little care about the game's quality, as if they expected people to buy it automatically no matter how bad it was (and I'm sure they do). Creativity seems truly dead from that studio at this point. Do not buy this game. No not rent it, do not waste the bandwidth of pirating it. Vote with your dollars in the slim hope that Bioware may someday return to its senses. Expand
  77. Mar 6, 2012
    Does not live up to the other games, a letdown. Seriously? Joker telling his grandkids a story? Talk dies? It's a real shame the game ended like it did.
  78. Mar 6, 2012
    The plot holes become impossible to ignore. The motivation and origin of the reapers is nearly incoherent. After all of the choices you've made in the series, only the one you make at the very end has real lasting consequences. The game boasts 3 endings, which are really just the same ending with different window dressing. This game has managed to taint the entire series for me.The plot holes become impossible to ignore. The motivation and origin of the reapers is nearly incoherent. After all of the choices you've made in the series, only the one you make at the very end has real lasting consequences. The game boasts 3 endings, which are really just the same ending with different window dressing. This game has managed to taint the entire series for me. After Dragon Age II and now this, I think Bioware has lost the magic. Expand
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    This is game is a sad confirmation how low gaming industry has gotten. When I remember first Mass Effect and its great potential of space exploration, new worlds, exotic aliens, ancient mysteries...It's all gone. Now we have a simple shooter with barely a plot to speak off, used just as an excuse to shoot enemies on the screen. Gone are mysteries of the Galaxy, gone are exotic cultures andThis is game is a sad confirmation how low gaming industry has gotten. When I remember first Mass Effect and its great potential of space exploration, new worlds, exotic aliens, ancient mysteries...It's all gone. Now we have a simple shooter with barely a plot to speak off, used just as an excuse to shoot enemies on the screen. Gone are mysteries of the Galaxy, gone are exotic cultures and aliens. Instead we have romances straight from soap operas and forced gay sex for cheap controversy and looking PC.
    Bye Bioware. I knew you were dying when I saw DA2, but I had still hope. You are truly dead. What remains is comparable to Husks presented in ME3. A twisted caricature of former glory which brought such titles as Baldur's Gate, ME1 and DAO. Now we have a shooter with elements of dating sim.
  80. Mar 6, 2012
    loved ME1, and even mildly enjoyed ME2. This game is made for Xbox COD Kiddies. AVOID!. Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down
  81. Mar 6, 2012
    As a humongous fan of the first one and somewhat disappointed player of the second, this installment completely ruins the entire series and franchise. The game isn't even worthy of the oxygen used by the mouthbreathing yaoi fanfiction writers that worked on it. The plot is atrocious with some of the biggest gaping plot holes I've ever seen, along with cardboard dialogue and next to noAs a humongous fan of the first one and somewhat disappointed player of the second, this installment completely ruins the entire series and franchise. The game isn't even worthy of the oxygen used by the mouthbreathing yaoi fanfiction writers that worked on it. The plot is atrocious with some of the biggest gaping plot holes I've ever seen, along with cardboard dialogue and next to no character progression. The gameplay is literally almost none existent, you essentially just walk, shoot a few bad guys a-la gears of duty reach style because the combat is so simplified that a child could breeze through it, and then move onto a half hour of bland cut scenes. The RPG elements are extremely bad because they're "streamlined" so much that it actually feels like the game is insulting you for having such low intelligence. The graphics which were decent for the last two have actually managed to take a lunge backwards, they use SPRITES in some scenes and the areas consist of chest high walls and bland ravaged city scapes weve all seen in low budget action movies. This game is an insult to its predeccors and the gaming industry as a whole, its like bioware is seeing just how far they can take paid reviews and a disgustingly close minded fan-base. Expand
  82. Mar 8, 2012
    I'm just feeling so terribly disappointed with ME3, it's like either Bioware doesn't give a damn about their fans, or EA purposely makes them create games like that. At the first glance it doesn't look bad, you can import your old character, game tells you what choices have you taken (the most important ones naturally), you can customize looks like in ME, classes have close resemblance toI'm just feeling so terribly disappointed with ME3, it's like either Bioware doesn't give a damn about their fans, or EA purposely makes them create games like that. At the first glance it doesn't look bad, you can import your old character, game tells you what choices have you taken (the most important ones naturally), you can customize looks like in ME, classes have close resemblance to ME2 ones (similar abilities, new "specialization"-like forks though + some additional skills sometimes), and god, after you're done it starts. Intro might look ok, but certainly graphics don't - engine got old, but it's not a excuse, you feel like playing some low grade console port instead of major game, textures are hideous, animations as well (especially Anderson's, and omg, he's footaged even in demo), nothing special in lightning or mimics departments, so in short - it's like ME2, bah, maybe even worse. Art direction makes up for it though, as it did before, some views are really stunning plus majority of "open" areas (open only by name, zones are as small as they used be) really feels deep. No major concerns about music/sound, even though like 50% or more is reused which hurts. You'd think they moved some budget elsewhere (like story, dialogues etc.), but then "fun" begins. Main plot is really shallow, each subsequent mission kinda pushes you through, pace is just too high, I admit, some turns really are decent, but imho, everything is just too blatant and easy to anticipate, especially closer to ending - it's like they either ran out of cash or EA pushed devs so game could be released earlier. I don't know, but for sure, ending in this game is just very weak (at best), and can really cause outrage in some impatient fans. Anyway, it's still better than what was done to all the sidequests, now they're close to inexistent - like 80% them is simple "get the item' (usually by snapping it from shops or finding in new user unfriendly galaxy exploration), bring it to Citadel (no other quest hub), talk to NPC and claim reward. No dialogue choices (bb persuading or threatening npcs for greater rewards), just probe-item-reward cycle over and over again. You can feel lucky if npc actually has anything to say, mostly it's just simple 1-liner w/o choice, just like it was with Kasumi and Zaeed ship dialogues in ME2. Now imagine it dumbed down even more, and you get brief look on how npc interaction looks, really. Yes, even with important persons, including team mates. When dialogue wheel appears you can be certain it's either opportunity for some questions regarding landmarks, persons etc. or binary paragon/renegade choice, "Do or do not" like Yoda would say, and it applies here in a very bad manner. You don't feel like you have control over action any more, not mentioning choices you've done before (if importing) are barely touched, should you kill or spare certain people (notably ME2 squad mates), outcome is basically the same, npc gets replaced by some random other, lines stay the same, and it just keeps turning like it was. Hell, I even tried dialogue with 'Irritating Man' with opposite choices and it was just the same, only Shep's lines changed. For the joke's sake you had paragon/renegade limited choices, and they didn't do the trick either, which is just ridiculous (not enough money for creating proper dialogue scripts and doing VA? I don't think so) and pushes you away from game. So far I could name only 2 things that changed in plus - combat and weaponry. Fighting is much faster than it was in ME2, you get some new skills and ways to customize them, also choice of weapons is much larger, with additional customization in that field by adding 2 mods of choice for each. Now you have to decide if you want, let's say super strong Black Widow rifle or some small SMG, because each one differs in weight and your overall balance changes cooldowns on abilities, by either shortening them or lengthen by as much as 200% (if really encumbered). You have some fancy new mechanics like shooting through walls and such. All in all not too shabby, but not with these controls, especially often cumbersome space usage. Since I'm close to 5k limit, I'll just do a quick balance:
    +fast-paced fights with various tactics applicable +weapons customizable again! +overall design -gfx -story -dialogues -interaction -exploration -side quests
    -"flat" choices
    -close to 0 influence on story outcome
    -certain plot turns are just plain stupid
    -npcs have no character (especially new)
    -multiplayer
    -ME badge in spite of being that bad
    -horrid endings
    -general lack of polish
    -1st day DLC not free (greedy much?)
    -Origin
    Yup, it's really that big let down, no BW games for me anytime soon, unless they repent and leave leeches from EA.
  83. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved Mass Effect
    I adored Mass Effect 2
    I loved Mass Effect
    I adored Mass Effect 2
    I truly and utterly despise Mass Effect 3. EA and Bioware basically killed one of the best gaming title of the past 10 years with this last installment. It's boring and blatant, it tries to act like an FPS game, it's overly simplified, it's ugly, it's story is nowhere comperable to the previous ones, it forces gay romances down your throat, it's too easy even on insanity, it's...it's just BAD. And this comes from a gamer who even bought ME2 Collectors Edition because of how much I loved these games.

I strongly suggest not buying this game, Boycott Bioware, BOYCOTT EA, do anything that you can to make them realize this is not what we wanted.

This is a sad time for gaming.
  84. Mar 6, 2012
    I enjoyed ME 1 immensely but this feels like an empty shell compared to that. My previous choices seem pointless, it's like that story and deaths are ignored.
  85. Mar 6, 2012
    Origin - Unacceptable. Day 1 DLC - Unacceptable. As far as the rest of the game is concerned: Mass Effect 1 was an exciting, innovative new type of Action-RPG. It had an epic story in a unique, diverse universe, very good writing, great characters and real choices for the player. Little is left of that. In their desire to cater to the fans of shooters and casual games, BioWare has reducedOrigin - Unacceptable. Day 1 DLC - Unacceptable. As far as the rest of the game is concerned: Mass Effect 1 was an exciting, innovative new type of Action-RPG. It had an epic story in a unique, diverse universe, very good writing, great characters and real choices for the player. Little is left of that. In their desire to cater to the fans of shooters and casual games, BioWare has reduced the RPG elements, trivialized the dialogue and taken away much of the character development and choices that make a proper RPG. The story that started in Mass Effect 1 as an interesting and mystic space opera has been transformed into a predictable soap opera with mostly mediocre, sometimes outright terrible, writing. It might still be better than most of the other stories in video games these days, but that's of course not very difficult, and it's nowhere near the quality that BioWare used to deliver. Probably the worst example of the inability of the writers are the endings. On the other hand, perhaps they too were imposed by EA, to reduce the required work and costs. One complaint against Mass Effect 1 was the somewhat uninspired combat system. This had already been replaced in Mass Effect 2 with a clone of the usual cover-based shooters. Not very innovative and in my opinion still quite repetitive and not very challenging, but many players seemed to enjoy it. So in that regard, Mass Effect 3 certainly delivers the expected. But that's of course not nearly enough to make it a great game, and it's also not the reason why I play BioWare games or RPGs in general. Expand
  86. Mar 6, 2012
    It's awesome how EA thinks their costumers want to play. Mass Effect 2 had its issues, but after all it was still a good game. This game here is ridiculous. Pure linear nonsense, a really bad gameplay and last but not least players are forced to use Origin. Flop of the year.
  87. Mar 7, 2012
    As a proud passive gay of African-American origin, I am deeply disturbed and offended by this ridiculous "game". What's wrong with you, Bioware? Did you seriously expected to fool many thousands of young gay and transgender gamers? Censored interspecies "sex" does not make your inferior product neither good nor appealing. OH MY GOD I think it's the absolutely worst game I've ever played inAs a proud passive gay of African-American origin, I am deeply disturbed and offended by this ridiculous "game". What's wrong with you, Bioware? Did you seriously expected to fool many thousands of young gay and transgender gamers? Censored interspecies "sex" does not make your inferior product neither good nor appealing. OH MY GOD I think it's the absolutely worst game I've ever played in my entire life. I can't believe I'm saying that. It is so ugly, primitive, outright boring. And what's up with the "critics" and their scores, huh? Expand
  88. Mar 8, 2012
    This doesn't feel like it cost 50 million dollars to make. I'm wishing it didn't cost me 80 dollars to buy.

Before all that, I never really got into any Bioware games beyond Mass Effect, but the first one really snagged me. I bought it on a Steam sale for 5 dollars because it was so highly praised. I saw why! Its combat was moderately challenging, had a great story, cool characters and I enjoyed their interactions with each other and the universe they lived in. It was a living breathing environment that I was simply enraptured by. As soon as Mass Effect 2 was announced, I preordered the Collector's edition because I had no idea that things were going to get cheesey. Still, the game didn't disappoint me. It looked better, put me in some great new environments while cutting out a lot of the generic copy paste elements from the first and best of all, introduced some more great characters with genuinely cool interactions between them. Sure the classic combat got thrown under the bus in favor of the tried and true bootleg Gears of War system, but it wasn't broken by any means. It still left me with a good enough taste in my mouth to preorder the CE of ME3. Besides, I was this invested in the series, I had to see it end.

Oh boy. Too put it simply, Mass Effect 3 is lazy. The characters look, move and sound terribly. On the design front, I could take or leave most to f the new outfits and the textures are also hit or miss, but some character's faces look positively simian (Ashley). Margaret Cho bot makes a cameo in the game for whatever reason that is, taking the place of Kelly Wong's established character. From a quick google search, she is actually pretty, but you wouldn't think so from the way she's rendered in game with her ginormous squirrel face and mouth that moves independent from the rest of her features. I heard that a lot of the development was put into voice acting ,which is believable because there are loooots of it, but the volume normalization is really off and on to the point of me wonderig where the money went. Margaret Chobot in particular has a bad habit of leaning away from the mic every now and then. If she were saying anything important I'd doubtlessly be more irritated.

The game's animations are also sloppy; there are LOTS of poorly thought out loops mixed with awkward general movements. I giggle everytime I knock an enemy down and they break dance windmill flare there way back to their feet, but I can't help being disappointed with the stupid looking running animations.

Oh, the breakdance comment reminds me of the developers decision to make the spacebar do everything. Sometimes it works! Really! On tuchanka I found myself just holding spacebar and marvelled at how my character ran and jumped over the stuff I wanted to jump over, and slid and rolled everywhere I inted them to. Theeeeeen... there are cases where I'm trying to pick up an item on the ground and my Shepard instead chooses to do kumbi rolls around it for 45 seconds before sliding into cover behind a chest-high wall, not having picked up the item I tried telling them to. Nobody's perfect.

One thing that really broke my heart though was the fact that all my Saved character faces were imported poorly. I could recreate them, sure, but that's just pathetic. I don't understand why it's like that. If they added more options to the character creation bits, yeah sure, but they didn't. Why couldn't my sheps be imported properly?

Of course, aside from character continuity, none of these previously mentioned issues were the thing that made me enjoy this series. After all if I want good and fluid combat I'll play Gears of War. If I want great animations I'll play GTA4. I wanted to see what became of these characters that I'm so invested in, of their universe that fascinates me so. I don't want to spoil anything, but God, this is where the ball was dropped. A lot of characters are cameos and after thoughts, like an old friend who stops by to give a quick hello in the middle of a roadtrip. The story has also drowned in nacho cheese to the point that it has simply become predictable when not outrageous and kinda generic where it used to be something special. It almost makes me feel as if Mass Effect 2 was a completely pointless existence. I have a sneaking suspicion that they knew the old players would come back no matter what and they had to focus on roping in new ones.

The multiplayer's cool though, I guess. If you're into that. I'm not.

I thought it would be funny if I ended this review on an after thought. Get it?
  89. Aug 9, 2012
    Worst Ending Ever!

No Gamepad support!

Minimal RPG elements!

Low quality rendered cutscenes! Where are those photo-realistic CGIs???

EA Origin!

Enough said.

Terribly disappointed.
  90. Mar 9, 2012
    The Mass Effect series has carried much promise. The first two games were real winners and successfully implemented the notion of player choice influencing the plot in meaningful ways. It's hard to think that with such a demonstrably successful formula in their possession BioWare could do anything to damage the series, let alone ruin it. But that's exactly what they've done--in asThe Mass Effect series has carried much promise. The first two games were real winners and successfully implemented the notion of player choice influencing the plot in meaningful ways. It's hard to think that with such a demonstrably successful formula in their possession BioWare could do anything to damage the series, let alone ruin it. But that's exactly what they've done--in as little as five minutes. Of course, I'm talking about the ending everybody is in fits about. From a plot perspective, the ending to this game is unforgivably bad--a true facepalm moment in the history of gaming. The game purports to have numerous endings, but the reality is that this isn't true. They are, for the most part, the same. Mass Effect 2 had much more variance in its endings, which is ironic considering Mass Effect 2 had to account for an upcoming game when mapping out its endings. Mass Effect 3 had no such constraint, and yet it funnels all your choices into what is the same ending at its core.

I rated this game a 1 because the ending is truly THAT bad. It's just horrible.
  91. Mar 6, 2012
    I just got the game out of the mail, played it, and was so glad I could finally have some good old Mass Effect fun. I was shocked when the game told me I have to pay 10$ extra to get my Protean squad member and the only happy ending. Also, all of the team members of my gender kept hitting on me! I don't understand why this game tries to advertise homosexuality so much to the player. I willI just got the game out of the mail, played it, and was so glad I could finally have some good old Mass Effect fun. I was shocked when the game told me I have to pay 10$ extra to get my Protean squad member and the only happy ending. Also, all of the team members of my gender kept hitting on me! I don't understand why this game tries to advertise homosexuality so much to the player. I will have to address this in church group and tell my friends not to buy this unholy piece of sin. Expand
  92. Mar 9, 2012
    Does not let me import my legal character of ME2 (it was also my character on ME1). It force me to install Steam like software with nearly no content. I've unsintalled both and lost 80$. Thx EA, next time I'll try to pirate your game before buying it.
  93. Mar 8, 2012
    Dumped down gameplay, dumped down story and dumped down everything. The bioware we used to know and love is dead, replaced by this EA/Bioware abomination that is only interested in profit.
  94. Mar 10, 2012
    Short and sweet: the endings are soo badly written and contrived that it ruins the entire game. They endings do not make any sense, none of your decisions in ME3 much less other games really impact the outcome in a meaningful manner, huge holes in what's going on and why these events are even possible are present, etc... I'm not talking bad endings like say the Soprano's, I'm talkingShort and sweet: the endings are soo badly written and contrived that it ruins the entire game. They endings do not make any sense, none of your decisions in ME3 much less other games really impact the outcome in a meaningful manner, huge holes in what's going on and why these events are even possible are present, etc... I'm not talking bad endings like say the Soprano's, I'm talking like they had to have a totally different team do the ending; like made up of marketingexecutives or something horrible. In anycase, I feel like I would be doing my fellow men and women a disservice if I did not make this review warning people not to waste time and money on this. Expand
  95. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware. Baby. Darling. Honeycakes. We need to talk. You've always toed the line between a direct narrative and a branching narrative, and in the past it's never been a problem. Probably because the meat of the games was in the character arcs and interactions, and changing incidentals about the characters throughout the game based on choice, while not having a monumental impact, will atBioware. Baby. Darling. Honeycakes. We need to talk. You've always toed the line between a direct narrative and a branching narrative, and in the past it's never been a problem. Probably because the meat of the games was in the character arcs and interactions, and changing incidentals about the characters throughout the game based on choice, while not having a monumental impact, will at least give the player the FEELING of agency. There is no agency in this. None of my decisions matter. Rather than translating into flags with any significant impact on the universe, they translate into "peace points" and galactic readiness points and other hyper-simplistic **** And then there's the dialogue wheels: just like DA2, the 3-word bit of text you pick from the wheel has nothing to do with your answer. **** nothing. At one point Ashley was being emo and one of the options I could pick, in the paragon position (but not needing points), was "We've been through a lot." I thought "Oh, he's going to appeal to her emotionally through shared experience!" I selected it. Cue Shepard angrily growling "You should know me better." This makes me feel as though I'm not a part of events. That's bad. Video games are not movies, Bioware, they are video games. The scene in the demo/opening with the little boy? I know you thought it was heart-wrenching, I do, and that's adorable of you, but it's not. We met that boy literally a minute ago, and had no connection with his emotional state at all. Now he's dead. CUE SAD MUSIC AND SHEPARD LOOK SO SAD. Get over yourselves. You work best doing tongue-in-cheek, not melodrama. Oh, and stop gutting the RPG elements. In ME1 the passives were ridiculous at high levels, and you could highly specialize Shepard. The system in ME3 is the same one from ME2 with the upgrades spread out a bit thinner. The combat sections are largely tedious and laughably easy, even on the hardest difficulty. I will give Bioware one thing: they have improved on the fluidity of TPS control. However, in their fervor to do so, they forgot to make enemies that actually force the player to explore this new fluidity. He can just sit behind his chest-high wall and line up headshots with his x-ray vision Expand
  96. Mar 6, 2012
    I'm so disgusted with this game that I had to finally make an account here so I could share the sheer disappointment I've experienced so far. This game doesn't even seem like it was made by the same company. It feels like the writers for ME3 read the cliff notes describing the series so far and tried to slap something together that could pass as a sequel. They failed. This series deservedI'm so disgusted with this game that I had to finally make an account here so I could share the sheer disappointment I've experienced so far. This game doesn't even seem like it was made by the same company. It feels like the writers for ME3 read the cliff notes describing the series so far and tried to slap something together that could pass as a sequel. They failed. This series deserved better than this, and so did the fans. Such a shame. Expand
  97. Mar 6, 2012
    Extremely casualized and loaded with DLC that should have been released with the game. Gameplay is copy paste from the second game. Story is dull and cliche and seems to have more emphasis on romances than anything actually meaningful. As it was with Dragon Age, Bioware ruined another franchise that was off to an amazing start.
  98. Mar 7, 2012
    Wau, I see EA was finally successful at destroying Bioware. This game lacked so much, I dont even understand, it was so hollow and empty. What was done to characters is quite similar to dragon age 2. And again, ending just like in dragon age 2 is practically unchangeable. If ill be rating any other game from bioware in the future it wil be rated a lot better by me for reason that i wont beWau, I see EA was finally successful at destroying Bioware. This game lacked so much, I dont even understand, it was so hollow and empty. What was done to characters is quite similar to dragon age 2. And again, ending just like in dragon age 2 is practically unchangeable. If ill be rating any other game from bioware in the future it wil be rated a lot better by me for reason that i wont be using bioware quality standard because it isnt there anymore. Expand
  99. Mar 8, 2012
    Got to say i am very disappointed with this game, i dont know if its just me but the graphics have got worse the game mechanics are still clunky and unwieldy (despite that i still love ME2) the character writing has gotten extremely chicle... What the hell happened to Kotor/Jade empire bio ware that's what i want to know. Also this game being clearly developed for consoles has not helpedGot to say i am very disappointed with this game, i dont know if its just me but the graphics have got worse the game mechanics are still clunky and unwieldy (despite that i still love ME2) the character writing has gotten extremely chicle... What the hell happened to Kotor/Jade empire bio ware that's what i want to know. Also this game being clearly developed for consoles has not helped it in the slightest Expand
  100. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect is the dying spasm of Bioware. A company once known for greatness, now more known for fascination with Twilight, reducing choices for gamers and creating games that look more like clones of Call of Duty and dating sims than RPG's we used to love. Make no mistake. Mass Effect 1 and DAO were great games. But the loss of authors and imagination is painfully evident in thisMass Effect is the dying spasm of Bioware. A company once known for greatness, now more known for fascination with Twilight, reducing choices for gamers and creating games that look more like clones of Call of Duty and dating sims than RPG's we used to love. Make no mistake. Mass Effect 1 and DAO were great games. But the loss of authors and imagination is painfully evident in this production. We have a deus ex machina plot, shallow characters, terrible ignorance of universe lore established in previous production. In exchange we have dialogues like from some cheap remake of Jersey Shore(Vega I am looking at you), hallow romances that make normal cringe at the dialogue and nothing resembling the mystery atmosphere of cold but fascinating cosmos we knew from previous games....
    Don't buy it. Huge disappointment.

1. Apr 11, 2012