5.3

1. Mar 6, 2012
    After Dragon Age 2, I didn't believe that bioware will have what it takes to throw out another bad game. What has gone wrong with this once top-notch developer? Are they all short sighted with only cash in mind, or have they fired all those who actually cared about making a good game with pressure from EA to crank out more dough. What happens in the end, non of us would know. One thing weAfter Dragon Age 2, I didn't believe that bioware will have what it takes to throw out another bad game. What has gone wrong with this once top-notch developer? Are they all short sighted with only cash in mind, or have they fired all those who actually cared about making a good game with pressure from EA to crank out more dough. What happens in the end, non of us would know. One thing we are sure though is that Bioware is no longer the esteemed developer it once was, its reputation going down the drain in a year, with ME3 being the final nail to the coffin. Disappointed. Expand
  2. Mar 7, 2012
    Painful. I loved the Mass Effect saga, but this installment utterly ruins it. It's an insult to gamers worldwide. Bioware approaches the story telling as if they are attempting to make a brain damaged turtle comprehend. Consequently, it is HIGHLY flawed, simplistic and lacking. An awful result. Addtionally, they have taken a break from anything that made the previous installmentsPainful. I loved the Mass Effect saga, but this installment utterly ruins it. It's an insult to gamers worldwide. Bioware approaches the story telling as if they are attempting to make a brain damaged turtle comprehend. Consequently, it is HIGHLY flawed, simplistic and lacking. An awful result. Addtionally, they have taken a break from anything that made the previous installments interesting and unique(choice-based storytelling; intriguing plot turns; emotional commitment) and replaced it with blatantly ostentatious cinematics that would only impress the aforementioned ''turtle-minded''. It's not just a shame, it's an insult. Bioware has gravely insulted and disappointed me by ruining what used to be such a great story. Don't go look for it and don't buy it. The only thing this game has to offer is a lesson in how blatant greed can ruin absolutely anything. Expand
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    What a letdown. Coming out of the other mass effect games with high hopes and expectations, I was completely disappointed. The story was sloppy, the graphics took a step back and the game-play was severely reduced. I also heard there is DLC from day one? What the flying duck?
  4. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is linear and repetative. Decisions made in ME1 & 2 all lead to the 3 similar suck endings. The ending concludes nothing but leaves more problems. All kinds of tragedy are intentionally forced upon players and provides insufficient reasons. The RPG essenses: dialog, history, puzzle, are all missing in ME3. The rushy epilogue disclose how badly bioware wants to kill this game. In ME1 & 2 the length of the ending cinematic last more than 5 minutes, but in ME3 only a less than 1 minute miserable epilogue awaits you. Expand
  5. Mar 8, 2012
    I've already scored this low on the gaming store's site I bought it from & will actually give point form why it gets low scores here.
    -EA conducting aggressive anti-consumer behaviour against users who display "discontent behaviour" in any official forum. Lowers enjoyment of playing game.
    -Significant day 1 DLC/add-on items that should be part of the game but EA is requiring cash for. (i.e. the Razer branded item's bonus guns)
    -"Professional" reviewers seem to have been paid off for positive reviews
    -Graphics toted as being "top notch". It's Unreal Engine... I haven't played a game using this engine that HASN'T looked good. ME3 is just average when placed beside many of its competitors
    -Over aggressive DRM (yes it effects the game score as it affects how often & where I can play the game)
    -Game is not a 10 out of 10 by a long shot so it should consider itself lucky to be getting the 2 I'm giving given the negatives.
    Disclosure: I have only played the demo; am still working on my Mass Effect 1 play through before proceeding to ME2 then ME3. Own most the content for all 3 (lacking Razor rifle for ME3 at this point)
    Example of Unreal Engine 3 games I've played for comparison: Alpha Protocol, Batman: Arkham City, Blacklight: Tango Down, BlackSite: Area 51, Borderlands, Frontlines: Fuel of War, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. (Probably more too)
  6. Mar 8, 2012
    The only thing surprising about the negative reaction to this game is that took you all so long to realize these overpaid basement-dwellers have been making hackneyed, nerd-baiting snoozefests since the overrated Knights of the Old Republic (a game with one of the all-time stupidest twists in any medium). It speaks multitudes of Bioware's lack of creativity that the second they break freeThe only thing surprising about the negative reaction to this game is that took you all so long to realize these overpaid basement-dwellers have been making hackneyed, nerd-baiting snoozefests since the overrated Knights of the Old Republic (a game with one of the all-time stupidest twists in any medium). It speaks multitudes of Bioware's lack of creativity that the second they break free of their D&D and Star Wars licenses (disregarding Jade Empire, which I admittedly haven't played), they jump immediately into creating aesthetically bland space operas and high fantasy romps because the 'spergers can't have their pinned-on mittens ruffled by change or new ideas. Compare the openings of games like Bioshock or Skyrim - games that give you a sense of true mystery and dread, games that prelude to their greater themes and ideas in the first few minutes - to Bioware's uninspired openings: You're standing around as you're totally personal and unique and awesome character (let's just call him/her "M. Sue" for argument's sake) whose super-unique jawline just gives him LOADS of personality, I'm sure, then someone talks your ear off for twenty minutes about PURELY EXPOSITORY BUNK and then whatever they're talking about attacks you in your vanilla spaceship/Game of Thrones field. Sure, you can't judge a game entirely by its opening, but this really illustrates how little Bioware understands about storytelling, tone, or personal expression in art. Their obsession with being "cinematic" is laughable as well, because, 1.) D&D campaigning (the only sort of story structure Bioware seems able to create) is in no way "cinematic," 2.) gaming has reached a level of artistry that most people who take the medium seriously are past trying to just be film's little brother (a reason why the actual gameplay in this developer's titles is so often maligned), and 3.) if this unholy mix of Uncanny Valley Barbie dolls and outdated space opera chic somehow stumbled into the multiplexes, it would tank faster than you could say "The Spirits Within." I'm not one to say you can't make an engrossing game based on going around talking to people... hell, I love the LucasArts adventure games of yesterday. But the difference is those games had style in spades - from the whimsical noir of Grim Fandango to the truly creepy mystery of The Dig - whereas Bioware is simply content to milk easy characterizations and plots (if I ever have to help another space-slut track down her deadbeat space-dad because he owes her space-money or WHATEVER, may I be forced to have sex with a Krogan for the rest of my days), knowing they're working in a field where, until recently, the bar was low enough to get away with it. (It is also interesting to note Dragon Age II, despite its numerous gameplay flaws, was the only Bioware game that comes close to being more than the sum of hastily borrowed parts. And of course it was the start of the internet backlash; nerds don't like it when you slip some beef into their pink slime.) It genuinely makes me angry that the writers try to pass off their totally exploitative (and cringe-worthily awkward) sex scenes as promotions of sexual equality, because they didn't just include hot lesbian action to turn on the fanboys then realize they needed to include some male homosexuality as to not look entirely pandering. The company is skilled at creating an immersive experience, I will give them that, and not every moment spent in their universes is entirely unpleasant. But with schlock writing, unoriginal concepts, and often shoddy gameplay, why do they get a pass for creating a world that's cool to hang out in for a couple hours? That is the bare minimum you're expected to do when creating a piece of narrative entertainment! If you honestly think these games are the pinnacle of any sort of storytelling or characterization, by God, read more books, watch more films, play more games, live more life. Then, come back and see how your Shepard (OMG, does YOUR Shepard Renegade Interrupt people because MY Shepard totally does lololol) and all his dead-eyed and dull-voiced pals relate to things made by people who have seen sunlight in the last ten years. My theory is, they won't. Expand
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    I was honestly expecting more from this game. The awkward homosex seemed forced, the scenery in the ending is a blatant ripoff of a random wallpaper (Google "space winter"), there's much less dialogue options, the morality is still good vs evil as opposed to several differing factors of morality, and the ending was just a horrible knock-off of Deus Ex, characters can no longer be importedI was honestly expecting more from this game. The awkward homosex seemed forced, the scenery in the ending is a blatant ripoff of a random wallpaper (Google "space winter"), there's much less dialogue options, the morality is still good vs evil as opposed to several differing factors of morality, and the ending was just a horrible knock-off of Deus Ex, characters can no longer be imported properly, and the game has even less RPG elements than the previous games. If that wasn't bad enough, Bioware removed a core part of the story and sold it separately for $10. This is one of the biggest flops in the industry, worse than Duke Nukem. Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2012
    This score is based on the view of the build up to Mass Effect 3. If Mass Effect 3 was a stand alone title, with no prequel or setting up of a sequel, then I'd give it maybe a 5. But this game is utter trash as far as gaming standards are concerned. First off, the gameplay experience is weak. Is it fun? It's time consuming and better than doing homework, sure, but is it actually fun? NotThis score is based on the view of the build up to Mass Effect 3. If Mass Effect 3 was a stand alone title, with no prequel or setting up of a sequel, then I'd give it maybe a 5. But this game is utter trash as far as gaming standards are concerned. First off, the gameplay experience is weak. Is it fun? It's time consuming and better than doing homework, sure, but is it actually fun? Not for me, I am sure plenty of drones will enjoy this game for what it is, but looking beyond it, it's just a 3rd person shooter, with a leveling system, and a plot-holed filled story-line. And here comes the problem and why anytime I reach the point where I can say: This game isn't that bad, I realize that this game has a story and it's insulting my intelligence. Mass Effect 1 set up this neat little plot/mythology about Reapers and their times in history where they'd come out and wipe everything out. Through the entire game you kind of feared the Reapers, if not, out right terrified of the idea of them. There are tales of how merciless and prompt they were, wiping out civilizations in a matter of moments. They seemed omniscent. Pretty good stuff. Mass Effect 2, it did nothing for the plot really, but at least it had some fun forever-alone stuff you could do in it. Like continue developing relationships with characters, explore, etc. And the Reapers seemed to be scarcely mentioned. Now in ME3, the Reapers are finally here, in the hour of twilight. And what do they do? They suck at their job. They come off as inefficient. They seem like machines given AI to wipe out stuff, but in a rather slow and terrible fashion. I won't spoil anything, but yea, the Reapers, for having this reputation of being amazing, are terrible at everything, even dying. Sure, if you play it as a game, most everyone will like this. If you play it with the mind set that you want to play a video game worth your/my money, and you have an ounce of intelligence, you will find this game disappointing on all levels. Bioware has proven to not care about you, being innovative, or ethics. Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a train wreck! I got the feeling all the writers got sacked once ME2 was done and the script was written by marketing department. Writing is THAT bad.
    1) Dialogues. Shep can only spew epic nonsense like "This is EAAAAARTH! There is way to much grandeur and epicness in every line, often completely inappropriate, and they took away all the neutral options.
    2) Retconning. You'd think that when they planned Mass Effect to be a trilogy from day 1 of ME1 development they wouldn't have to introduce major villains half way through the 3rd installment, use MacGuffin as a motivator or have a ton of plot holes.
    3) Ending(s). Um yea, some will be happy that those piss off Disney, lived-happily-ever-after, audience. I'm kinda with them myself. But at the same time they have no difference between them except for special effects color, they invalidate completely every choice the player has made over the course of the trilogy, provide zero closure and have more plot holes than a Michael Bay movie.

Not to mention that MOST of the arsenal is distributed via DLCs now, Origin is forced down your throat and so is a rather poor Multiplayer. And how could I forget the infuriating 1 button control that always does something other than what you wanted?

How could experienced and talented developers on a huge budget get every single thing wrong? I guess working on DA2 and SW:TOR at the same time as ME3 didn't help. BioWare bit off more than it could chew and the customers ended up paying.
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    In all honesty, 2/10 is being generous. Bioware has consistently proven that they are one of the worst video game companies. The fact that they rely so heavily on downloadable content, and squander their funds on shooting copies of the game into space instead of actually putting effort into it will forever astound and confuse me. The first Mass Effect was a decent game, and I would give itIn all honesty, 2/10 is being generous. Bioware has consistently proven that they are one of the worst video game companies. The fact that they rely so heavily on downloadable content, and squander their funds on shooting copies of the game into space instead of actually putting effort into it will forever astound and confuse me. The first Mass Effect was a decent game, and I would give it an easy 8/10. However, over the second and third installments, more and more content was taken away and casualized. On top of this, great chunks of the game were cut out to later be sold for more profit in DLC. This portrays Bioware as the money-grubbing gamer-hating company that they really are. They capitalize on the popularity of a product, and cast aside the devoted fanbase in order to garner more sales from less involved gamers who buy annual releases of Call of Duty. It's a sickening fact, but it's true.

The writing is also piss poor, and almost insulting to those who enjoy quality storytelling in their video games, or any other medium in general. Gameplay has further been dumbed down to include a one hit kill melee button, and squad members have lost all of their interesting angles by becoming strange amalgamations of jersey shore contestants and jocks, or characterized versions of their former selves.

I urge you to stay away from this game, or at least buy it used so Bioware does not get any of your money. Gamers who buy these releases should be ashamed of themselves for hurting the industry further by giving Bioware the ability to make more low quality games for ridiculous amounts of money.
  11. Mar 6, 2012
    What can I say? This is a HUGE letdown.

It's one step forward and three steps back for Bioware. The Production values, graphics and coverbased shooting is bigger and better the ever. But at the cost of EVERYTHING else. Mack Walters Human-centric story telling is even more pronounced then in ME2. Cheap Melodrama is everywhere. Choices from previous games are just explained away in a
    What can I say? This is a HUGE letdown.

It's one step forward and three steps back for Bioware.

But at the cost of EVERYTHING else.

Mack Walters Human-centric story telling is even more pronounced then in ME2.
    Cheap Melodrama is everywhere.
    Choices from previous games are just explained away in a sentence to get things the same for everyone.
    You need to have played ALL the DLC from ME2, as well needing the novels to "get" this game due to all the changes and ret-cons.
    By the end of the game, I was sick of seeing that kid that died at the beginning. Why does this traumatize Shepard when the death of his lover, his family, his friends and even himself have NO effect on him? Gotta get those Cawwadooty kiddies right?

The endings are a **** cop out, that serve no purpose but to set up the MMO. The vision was compromised and the narrative is now clearly driven by EA suits, and hack writers trying to push their agendas in the subtext.

I'm just....sad that it came to this. The talent has left Bioware it seems.
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    I LOVED ME 1's story. The second one was pretty great too. But this game; where you are forced to have gay sex in order to be ''good'', where your actions barely influence the outcome. Plot holes are everywhere. RPG elements dumbed down so much it just looks like a damn third person shooter. Not to mention the Day 1 DLC that was CUT OUT from the game. I can't even fathom why some peopleI LOVED ME 1's story. The second one was pretty great too. But this game; where you are forced to have gay sex in order to be ''good'', where your actions barely influence the outcome. Plot holes are everywhere. RPG elements dumbed down so much it just looks like a damn third person shooter. Not to mention the Day 1 DLC that was CUT OUT from the game. I can't even fathom why some people actually accept this, you basically produce content that you can release WITH the game (and it's a LIVE PROTHEAN, jeez) but you choose to SELL it as DLC. This is flat out unacceptable. Instead of the usual **** EA spews out every year maybe you guys should try to make a good, full game that I can purchase, and actually feel good about it. I'm gonna sell this game, make the guy I sold it to sell it too just so you guys lose an extra sale. Expand
  13. Mar 7, 2012
    If you're a fan of the Mass Effect series, you'll be disappointed by this third installment and I'll just note the things cons straight away:

-Having the multiplayer or co-op tied to the outcome of your single player campaign ending (DRM) therefore forcing you to play multiplayer just to get the best single player endings. -Absolute rubbish ending for the series, and there's no after

-Absolute rubbish ending for the series, and there's no after story narrative either.
    -Having to pay extra money just to get a DLC that should have been free in the game at the first place since it has essential information and part of the plot for the game.

Those are just few of the many other things that makes this a total disappointment for me and about everyone else, I just feel cheated and betrayed by Bioware and EA, want my money back.
  14. Mar 24, 2012
    Setting aside the ending (which has been covered to death), there are too many flaws in this game to give it anything higher than a 6. The journal, for example, which defaults to the middle or bottom every time you open it, rather than the latest quest you've received; the dozens of "find my long lost doohicky on some random planet" quests which amount to simply scanning a planet toSetting aside the ending (which has been covered to death), there are too many flaws in this game to give it anything higher than a 6. The journal, for example, which defaults to the middle or bottom every time you open it, rather than the latest quest you've received; the dozens of "find my long lost doohicky on some random planet" quests which amount to simply scanning a planet to resolve; and ultimately the fact that most of your efforts to save the galaxy boil down to adding 50 points to some vague number which you're trying to get as high as possible before the final battle. And this arbitrary number results in minor little changes to the cutscene you watch at the end -- and none of it really matters. It feels incredibly empty -- wow, sure glad I saved that guy back in ME1 so I could end up with a higher Military Readiness number at the end of ME3 so I could... um what exactly did it change? Oh yeah, Big Ben didn't get vaporized in the cutscene at the end! Yay! That and the fact that every decision you made didn't really matter: let the big bug queen live in ME1? Great! She's back and happy to help you! Killed her? Great! A cyborg version of her is back and happy to help you (or not... but does it really matter?).

None of this would matter all that much if Bioware promoted ME3 as Gears of War in Space, but they piled on the hype about every one of your decisions meaning something BIG, about all your questions being answered in the end, etc.
  15. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is yet the latest disappointment from BioWare. Gone are the days of a solid RPG setting taking the foreground and a plausible story in the background. With the addition of Autodialogue you are now forced to witness a story first and a game second. Calling this an RPG is an insult to real RPG's like Planescape, Fallout, Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights. The first MassMass Effect 3 is yet the latest disappointment from BioWare. Gone are the days of a solid RPG setting taking the foreground and a plausible story in the background. With the addition of Autodialogue you are now forced to witness a story first and a game second. Calling this an RPG is an insult to real RPG's like Planescape, Fallout, Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights. The first Mass Effect game was truly great, it had the classic RPG elements and focus while still telling a good story. The second game began to discard RPG elements for a more Gears of War style shooting game. By the time the third arrived all hope was lost, the "decisions" you make can be skipped over in auto-dailogue mode, the reprecussions of the decisions have little to no impact upon the endings except at the very end. ME3 will be heralded by many as some truly great game in a series of great games. Perhaps, and for that it earns at least 3 points from me. However, to see it called an RPG and created by the same people who were responsible for great ones such as NWN BG2 and DAO it's a massive step backwards and thus lost 7 points.

But you know what? You'll just ignore all of this and claim I'm being a homophobe instead.
  16. Mar 9, 2012
    My review is based on the game as a whole. It is poorly planned, buggy, storyline left many unanswered gaps. The multiplayer is mediocre at best, the whole game is an extreme disappointment to the franchise. Bioware should have stopped focusing on that failure of a game known as "The Old Republic" and planned this one and given it their soul.

The storyline just did not seem intriging, the

The storyline just did not seem intriging, the multiplayer has bugs where you can lose unlocked characters and equipment that you buy, sometimes for real money. A lot of players have lost a lot and are pretty angry at bioware.

I encountered a bug when importing a character from me1, to 2, to 3. I romanced liara in 1, but it said I romanced ashley, which is false. I have never romanced Ashley in any of my play throughs. I loaded the same me2 file into me2 and played the storyline, it was definitely Liara as well.

On top of this the game has horrible controls. I have no idea which moron decided to put the action button the same as the roll and take cover button but all I tend to do is barrel roll all over the place or stick into cover I don't want to while I try to activate a door or revive a team mate who was in cover.

I recently lost every bit of gear I had unlocked on multiplayer, a level 4 pistol, a quarian engineer, a salarian engineer, multiple level 3 sniper rifles and assault rifles with multiple level 2 mods, a turian character, an asari vanguard, etc. I am done with mass effect 3 and I highly recommend every gamer stay away from this.

The only reasons I am giving this a two out of ten, the graphics are still not bad, the worlds seem well constructed despite the controls being terrible. And you get to see Tali's face for once.

I am sorry Bioware, you have failed us a second time in a couple of months, you have lost your edge just like Bill Roper and his constant failure of game development after Diablo 2. Some advise to bioware, leave your industry...
  17. Mar 6, 2012
    Terrible, terrible game. Gone is the excellent space climate of the first ME1. In is the cheap shooting and shallow plot more fitting a dumbed down shooter. Once interesting villains have been turned into "Evil Robots" completely lacking any imagination from the part of creators. Unfortunately Bioware is long gone as a company capable of creating interesting new plots, characters orTerrible, terrible game. Gone is the excellent space climate of the first ME1. In is the cheap shooting and shallow plot more fitting a dumbed down shooter. Once interesting villains have been turned into "Evil Robots" completely lacking any imagination from the part of creators. Unfortunately Bioware is long gone as a company capable of creating interesting new plots, characters or adventures. Too many people with talent seem to have left, and we are left with ones who are inspired by "Twilight"(and in the case of Mass Effect 3, it also seems to be Jersey Shore). This is very sad, since the universe of ME had such a great potential, which was completely wasted. Expand
  18. Mar 7, 2012
    I bought this on release because I liked Mass Effect 2. The game is broken in that if you use custom keybindings, you are no longer able to scan planets for minerals/artifacts. This is a huge QA failure. I am unable to progress without a severe handicap. There are other serious problems with this game, too. The graphics have taken a step back from ME2 technically, though they have addedI bought this on release because I liked Mass Effect 2. The game is broken in that if you use custom keybindings, you are no longer able to scan planets for minerals/artifacts. This is a huge QA failure. I am unable to progress without a severe handicap. There are other serious problems with this game, too. The graphics have taken a step back from ME2 technically, though they have added improved graphical filters. The game world is static, full of people who don't react to your presence and objects that you can't manipulate. For example, you visit the Citadel, which is supposed to be a bustling population center, but you can only interact with three or four characters there--I mean the others don't look at you, tell you they took an arrow in the knee, or even move, aside from simple idle animations. Incidentally, this is the same level design from ME2, minus interacting with citizens, stores, lifts, etc. On the Normandy, there are lots of crew members, but they do not acknowledge you. It all feels lifeless. The Normandy is the same as the one in ME2, except you can't talk with crew members or interact with many objects on the ship. For example, the only toilet that flushes is the one in the Captain's room. The ship is just utterly dead, which is too bad because walking around the ship was my favorite part. The combat is pretty much the same. It's not very strong, but combat is the last reason anyone would buy a Mass Effect game. The story looks to be serviceable, albeit generic. The writers had elementary problems with exposition that was fairly amateurish, "As you know, Shepard..." Anyway, my main gripe is key bindings. I am not sure why companies refuse to pay attention to inputs. It is truly mystifying. Is is so unfair that I can't get my money back for this. It is broken and I feel cheated. Expand
  19. Mar 7, 2012
    PROS: - Shiny new cutscenes - Wonderful Clint Mansell soundtrack - Better combat, particularly melee (plays like the melee in Dragon Age 2, one button does everything), improved powers - Smarter enemy AIs CONS: - One button does everything in combat - Ridiculously **** dialogue - Forces sexuality into everything (I could give concrete examples, but I may give away spoilers). I will sayPROS: - Shiny new cutscenes - Wonderful Clint Mansell soundtrack - Better combat, particularly melee (plays like the melee in Dragon Age 2, one button does everything), improved powers - Smarter enemy AIs CONS: - One button does everything in combat - Ridiculously **** dialogue - Forces sexuality into everything (I could give concrete examples, but I may give away spoilers). I will say this much: EDI, and, this small segment of dialogue: Shepherd: I hope you're alright, Kaiden Kaiden: Are you flirting with me, Commander? This is literal dialogue and not a joke - Rubbish, rubbish, dialogue. Cringe worthy. Nearly all the time. Some characters do save the ****show, like Garrus. - They actually used a voice changer (blatantly obvious) to use less voice actors (if you don't believe me, once you get to the Citadel you will be able to hear it) - Rehashed animations from the last game (lack of innovation) -Filters, filters everywhere -Cheap emotional pulls and attempts at emotional manipulation EVERYWHERE. It's like they used this to replace bad writing. - SEVERELY LIMITED DIALOGUE OPTIONS. If I wanted to play a shooter, I would have. Two dialogue options? Most dialogues with no options whatsoever? Poor show. -Totally retconns the lore established in the previous games Overall this game shows a shocking lack of attention to detail and blatantly ignores what the fans wanted (contrary to what the developers claim all the time. No one wanted this). The voice acting is stiff and so is the animation. Complete lack of innovation and the only thing they improved was the fighting - to add to this, they even used well-known stock images as some of their sources and the copies are glaring - look up "winter on mars" and you should see what I mean, if you've beaten the game. They force sexuality on the player, and if you reject it then the characters hate yours. This series has ended on a bad note. For fans of the series, it sucks majorly. For people who want a shooter, play Call of Duty or Gears of War instead Expand
  20. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved mass effect. It had it's flaws, but it seemed like the start to a promising series. And yet somehow, bioware managed to make each game a parody of the previous one. The gameplay is weak, the writing is atrocious. The game pretends that it's trying to be progressive with it's same-sex relationships, but more than anything it just seems like it's fetishistic gays, which is franklyI loved mass effect. It had it's flaws, but it seemed like the start to a promising series. And yet somehow, bioware managed to make each game a parody of the previous one. The gameplay is weak, the writing is atrocious. The game pretends that it's trying to be progressive with it's same-sex relationships, but more than anything it just seems like it's fetishistic gays, which is frankly offensive. Worst of all, it feels like previous choices didn't actually make any difference. Mass Effect 2 disappointed me: Mass Effect 3 makes me feel WRONGED. Expand
  21. Mar 9, 2012
    Metacritic started to remove User Reviews. Not only gaming magazines and sites are nowadays bought with EA advertising money but also User Review pages delete User Reviews to please the great EA overlord. This is really poor. So I'm gonna repost my review and lower the rating from 2/10 to 0/10 due to the influence EA obviously tries to take on the consumer's opinion:Metacritic started to remove User Reviews. Not only gaming magazines and sites are nowadays bought with EA advertising money but also User Review pages delete User Reviews to please the great EA overlord. This is really poor. So I'm gonna repost my review and lower the rating from 2/10 to 0/10 due to the influence EA obviously tries to take on the consumer's opinion: ----------------------------------------------> First things first: NOTHING YOU DO DURING THE ADVENTURE CHANGES THE ENDING!!!!111111 The end videos are static and you do not even get the text boxes Dragon Age had. Even if you spend your money on DLCs it changes nothing. Also no matter who you had a romance with in ME2 its not gonna change anything. If you had a romance with Tali in ME2 don't count on her being nice to you in ME3. ---- This game is really a letdown. --- HAMMERHEAD LEFT OUT AGAIN TO BE PAID DLC!!!!1111 --- HUUUUUGE PLOTHOLES EVERYWHERE!!! Seriously. Whoever that writer guy is should take a serious break and start all over again with trying to make a good plot that makes sense and somehow manages to draw the player into it --- End sequence picture and Tali's face are just random pictures Bioware stole/licensed off the internet (google has them) --- A lot fewer People you have as squadmates to save money for EA --- Less than half the playtime of ME2 to save money for EA --- Really bad graphics when compared to many titles that come out nowadays. Not even any graphics settings on PC. Bad Frame Rates --- Repetitive gameplay from minute one. --- Repetitive enemies --- Bad AI --- Badly designed dialogues and options not telling you what you gonna say. --- Fewer places to visit so it saves a lot of money for EA! You can only buy stuff in the citadel. --- No character special missions so it saves EA a lot of money but less stuff for you to do --- Really bad presentation. Like the Normandy coming in like a WW2 bomber and dropping a bomb? Srsly!? A whole fleet opening fire and it looks more like 80mm mortars hitting something!? --- The endings are just lol. If you think you've seen bad endings try the ones from ME3. Biggest let down for a triology ever --- Bad Voice Acting --- Many bugs --- Uninteresting Characters Collapse Expand
  22. Mar 9, 2012
    This is *Gears of War* not Mass Effect, only an action game
    bad story, big gaps
    They went too much to the bad direction :(
    This game isn't give too much to the Mass Effect universe... only that silly ending.
  23. Mar 10, 2012
    Unfinished business.All the hype about the fate of your decisions is a lie.Mass effect Story and RPG turned into a naive shooter with a i´m a monkey ending! 5 years of entusiasm to the dump!
  24. Jul 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I gave 0 last time. now the ending makes it less worst. I won't write a new review since I think like everyone else. Don't buy, rent. and stop when you kill the illusive man. no point going further. Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2012
    OK, unlike paid critics and users (who actually play with pink glasses on) I will keep this one short. Don't be an idiot like me. I already wasted 100 bucks for EA (50 bucks for SW TOR, and another 50 for this piece of crap). Overall impressions: Graphics - mediocre to the best; Animations - epic fail. Animated by professional programmers, definitely not CGI specialists (lol); Dialogues -OK, unlike paid critics and users (who actually play with pink glasses on) I will keep this one short. Don't be an idiot like me. I already wasted 100 bucks for EA (50 bucks for SW TOR, and another 50 for this piece of crap). Overall impressions: Graphics - mediocre to the best; Animations - epic fail. Animated by professional programmers, definitely not CGI specialists (lol); Dialogues - MOST EPIC FAIL EVER. They surely have been written by some retarded and are only targeted to impress retarded rednecks; gameplay - FAIL. Plus add here 10 USD DLC on the first day - and that's about that to make a conclusion, that BW is dead. I hope they spend my 50 bucks for this **** for doctor, because it is obvious someone in EA BW needs serious treatment. Oh, and I hope paid critics won't be happy with their bribes. That's all. Expand
  26. Mar 7, 2012
    I sincerely hope this is a joke. Come on, Bioware. Come on. This isn't even funny anymore, what happened. I miss great games like Baldur's Gate II, please stop doing this to me.
  27. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is, at best, a disappointing game. At its worst, it's a cliched mess of nonsense dialogue and forced decisions. What's most disappointing for me, is the separated structure of the game. Dialogue happens, then gameplay, then dialogue, then gameplay. There's no fusion. Mass Effect 3 has lengthy fighting sequences and lengthy dialogue and story sequences, but the two never mix.Mass Effect 3 is, at best, a disappointing game. At its worst, it's a cliched mess of nonsense dialogue and forced decisions. What's most disappointing for me, is the separated structure of the game. Dialogue happens, then gameplay, then dialogue, then gameplay. There's no fusion. Mass Effect 3 has lengthy fighting sequences and lengthy dialogue and story sequences, but the two never mix. There's no story in the fight, something happens then something else happens. It's depressing. This game has turned me off to Bioware. I won't be getting their next game. Expand
  28. Mar 7, 2012
    Garbage game. I'd return it but unfortunately I'm a PC gamer. Steer clear if you enjoy not wasting 60 bucks. Game itself doesn't really deserve a 0 but Bioware and EA just prove time and time again they are just greedy money grabbers who don't give two **** about their fans.
  29. Mar 8, 2012
    Mass Effect was great . The story , the characters , the combat system . Pure brilliance . Then came Mass effect 2 , which took a step back from the rpg part , but made it up somehow with richer companion stories , great voice overs , and a story build up to the 3rd part , that while weaker than the 1st , gave a sense of continuity and a promise of great adventure to come with mass effectMass Effect was great . The story , the characters , the combat system . Pure brilliance . Then came Mass effect 2 , which took a step back from the rpg part , but made it up somehow with richer companion stories , great voice overs , and a story build up to the 3rd part , that while weaker than the 1st , gave a sense of continuity and a promise of great adventure to come with mass effect 3 . Well crap . This is the biggest disappointment in the history of gaming . Don't be fooled by the critics , I honestly think they either took money or they didn't play the game AT ALL . Its terribly linear , your choices are choices only in name , they affect nothing . Graphics glitches everywhere that break immersion constantly , the story is just stupid , and the ending ? REALLY ? The Kotor2 ending was a masterpiece compared to this . And while they are at the business of ruining a great game , how about cutting a very important piece of the story and charge extra for it from day 1 ? Yep they did that too .

Bioware , you are dead to me ....
  30. Mar 6, 2012
    Absolutely awful, I've never played anything so bad, Bioware has been going downhill for a LONG time and has finally hit rock bottom, first The old Republic(butchered what could of been a great game) and now this monstrosity.
  31. Mar 6, 2012
    After playing this game for a while, I can surely state that it's a waste of time and money. Skip this game, it stinks. Bioware and EA should stop paying annalists for good reviews because it's ridiculous.
  32. Mar 6, 2012
    I agree with this: Quote:

I agree with this: Quote:

/endquote
  33. Mar 6, 2012
    Well, I was going to buy this for $60 in the next month, but the introduction of Day 1 DLC has made me skip this altogether. Are you happy EA/Bioware? Your greedy attempts to squeeze an extra $10 out of me has instead cost you a $60 sale. If I buy this at all (and that's a big if), it will be when it is in a bargain bin for like $20 or less. You could've gotten the whole $60 out of me, IWell, I was going to buy this for $60 in the next month, but the introduction of Day 1 DLC has made me skip this altogether. Are you happy EA/Bioware? Your greedy attempts to squeeze an extra $10 out of me has instead cost you a $60 sale. If I buy this at all (and that's a big if), it will be when it is in a bargain bin for like $20 or less. You could've gotten the whole $60 out of me, I was really looking forward to this (I love ME1 and ME2), but your greed has backfired. Don't buy this. EA/Bioware needs to learn that the gaming community won't stand for this pathetic attempt to squeeze more money out of us. When we buy a game, we should get the full experience. If DLC is released, it should come out after the game does, and it should not make you feel like you're getting the short end of the stick only owning the the base game. This is the equivalent of spending money at the movie theater only to be kicked out halfway through because we didn't spend extra for the ending. Expand
  34. Mar 6, 2012
    There's not much to say. Bioware has clearly stopped trying, since they know the drones will just eat up whatever they serve. I loved the first Mass Effect, but it was all downhill from there.
  35. Mar 7, 2012
    So naive, so boring, and with such bad graphics and funny animation... I really don´t understand the critics at all. Are you guys crazy? Have you actually played the game? Or at least tried?
  36. Mar 8, 2012
    Welcome to to the future of Bioware.. It really seems that all those guys that know what they were doing left Bioware and were replaced by characters inspired by the movie "Ideocracy". There is that otaku women which is probably a virgin and who seems to have a yaoi (gay male romances) fetish. Than there is that crazy dude I saw in a DA2 video and who came up with the "awesome button". AndWelcome to to the future of Bioware.. It really seems that all those guys that know what they were doing left Bioware and were replaced by characters inspired by the movie "Ideocracy". There is that otaku women which is probably a virgin and who seems to have a yaoi (gay male romances) fetish. Than there is that crazy dude I saw in a DA2 video and who came up with the "awesome button". And there is probably one EA suit dude who is never without his statistics why call of duty is so successful and who spams his opinion in every meeting that more explosions are needed. And with those 3 responsible for game design ME3 is what we got. Lots and lots of gay romances, just as much explosions, and the evolution of the "awesome button", the "awesome does all button"! And it really is awesome when you try to run away and instead take cover with your back exposed to the enemy! Yet just like with DA2, the most "awesome" button is the one which removes this **** from your hdd! Expand
  37. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 1 is the best PC port in the trilogy. more customizable keyboard bindings , walking stance on/off, you can holster your gun, better writing, better fov. This game is lacks all of these, they don't even care about PC players anymore. I can not fathom why they do not want to take advantage of the power of the PC and release high resolution textures, like they did with DA II. TheMass Effect 1 is the best PC port in the trilogy. more customizable keyboard bindings , walking stance on/off, you can holster your gun, better writing, better fov. This game is lacks all of these, they don't even care about PC players anymore. I can not fathom why they do not want to take advantage of the power of the PC and release high resolution textures, like they did with DA II. The game also has fewer dialogue options and more auto dialogue, they really really want the Gears of War derpy console market. Expand
  38. Mar 6, 2012
    The result here was massively predictable, given the controversy surrounding EA/Bioware's recent policies regarding their other games and their fanbase in general. All of which can be overlooked if ME3 turned out to be a decent game, which was not the case.

The end of ME2 actually set up a great cliffhanger and promised great things to come, and ME3 drastically feel short. This is mainly due to its focus on romancing options, having the personal trials of the crew overshadowing the main story, and an oversimplified explanation to tie up everything. Gameplay offers very little innovation from the last two games in the series, and the squad mechanics are downright retarded.
  39. Mar 6, 2012
    I bought Mass Effect 1 on release, and it was great. I rented Mass Effect 2 and it was a bit of a letdown, but I still got some enjoyment out of it. I decided to try this even after all of the horrible things I have heard about it. This game is just a huge disappointment. Wonky controls, texture and graphical issues, retarded dialogue, and (oh boy) super politically correct gay sexI bought Mass Effect 1 on release, and it was great. I rented Mass Effect 2 and it was a bit of a letdown, but I still got some enjoyment out of it. I decided to try this even after all of the horrible things I have heard about it. This game is just a huge disappointment. Wonky controls, texture and graphical issues, retarded dialogue, and (oh boy) super politically correct gay sex scenes. Not to mention the ending is a huge copout. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this game. Expand
  40. Mar 7, 2012
    Do not buy this game. I repeat: do not buy. Never have I been so appointed with a supposedly *blockbuster* game. The let down comes not only from the video game itself, but the company philosophies behind the production and marketing. Mass Effect 1 was a fine game to begin with; Mass Effect 2 dumbed down the gameplay but intrigued with a mass universe of options and story lines. MassDo not buy this game. I repeat: do not buy. Never have I been so appointed with a supposedly *blockbuster* game. The let down comes not only from the video game itself, but the company philosophies behind the production and marketing. Mass Effect 1 was a fine game to begin with; Mass Effect 2 dumbed down the gameplay but intrigued with a mass universe of options and story lines. Mass Effect 3 has neither. EA & Bioware decided to throw away the fine-grained RPG elements and hooking storylines all together. Instead, ME3 became a gimmicky and overhyped product behind EA's big corporate strategies. First they refused to release the game on Steam (Valve's premium gaming platform with high praires from millions of players) because Valve had *incompatible* policies for publishing games. What does EA want? Right, spy on its users with Origin. Secondly, the honest user reviews here are both the truth and a protest to EA's review-lobbying strategies (9.2 vs 2.9 which do you really believe). What happened when they realized the truth? Like a dictating government, they pushed Metacritic admins to remove unfavorable reviews. Even if it's true that EA, Rockstar, Blizzard and other big game companies all buy high reviews for their marketing, at least MAKE A GAME that deserves to be praised. Not this piece of junk. Steam removals such as Dragon Age, Crysis, and Mass Effect .... I am not going to buy another EA game again. Expand
  41. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was really anticipating this game from Bioware. I'm a huge Mass Effect fan but this title was WAAAY off the ball. There were some gaping holes in the plot that really needed to be fixed, graphical errors (shouldn't be too hard to fix in an update), and just the unbelievable lack of care in this. I have played all of the Mass Effect games and this one falls short, QWOP short. The game has progressively moved toward action and less RPG, which is what defines Mass Effect, and more toward Gears of War-ish style of play. True, the story was epic and completes bits of the story left over from other games; but I'm very disappointed in how the game ended. I wanted to play Paragon the whole way through but no, I have to do Renegade actions to even continue the game or I die! At the VERY end of the game I have to choose to control the Reapers, wipe out all synthetic life, or join synthetics and organics together (which just looks nasty at the end picture). These are pretty much all the same choices but enacted in different ways. And after all that Shepard has done, he dies in a giant Michael Bay cliche explosion? Bioware is better than this. It's a terrible way to end the series and I disapprove. Expand
  42. Mar 8, 2012
    Synopsis review: Mass Effect 3 sure looks great (Models look nice, both characters and levels, and no visible textures problems on the main characters/levels.), yet it has many deep flaws that cannot be forgiven, these flaws are: The ending was horrible, a lot of issues story wise, very weak animations, the level design is mediocre (I said it looked nice, but design of a level does notSynopsis review: Mass Effect 3 sure looks great (Models look nice, both characters and levels, and no visible textures problems on the main characters/levels.), yet it has many deep flaws that cannot be forgiven, these flaws are: The ending was horrible, a lot of issues story wise, very weak animations, the level design is mediocre (I said it looked nice, but design of a level does not equal the quality of the models/textures/UVs.) and to round this list off; There are some issues cornering the gameplay. While being a resident of the Netherlands, I was obliged to actual download this new, and fresh game from Bioware: Through the Piratebay. (Your jimmy can remain unrustled, it is legal here to do so.) Yes, really the Dutch law allows for downloading of everything. Look into our Wetboek van Strafrecht if you don not believe it, Biodrones. Warning: Spoilers. Anyway, time for the main review: After the start-up the menu looked clean and normal, and even for a console-port it had many options within the options menu. I could actually change AA-options, any many other things to! (Poly amount of the characters and levels, resolution of the textures, etc.) I applaud the people who designed the menu, I consider this menu one of the better things of the game. And after playing the game itself I noticed that the animations are very weak, the NPC's walk and run like any random Bethesda character. (For the scrubs, this means that when a NPC decides to run his upper body doesn't show any sign of the running that is going on, it's horrible.) The level design is also pretty bad, while not as bad as the animations, it's still weak. The potential of the nice models/textures isn't fully used in the design of many levels. This might be because of the CoD approach, yet it feels more like a corridor shooter then a game where a full blown assault is launched against the ENTIRE universe. (The last levels really show this off.) For instance take the level where you join up with the Turians: There is a very tiny space where you can walk and find/talk with NPC's. One reaper walking somewhere near the base, and a small vista here and there. It should be: A big and well designed fighter base. This is not the case. That's a bit sucky, Bioware, sucky indeed. Story and gameplay then: The two most important thing in games ever. Story wise everything comes to an end. This is ok, yet it feels cheap: Tali jumping of a cliff, Miranda dying, that doctor alien dying, these NPC's survived almost two games, and now they all die by jumping off a cliff. Blergh. Also some other NPCs are poorly written, from characters that are really stereotypical gay (In a game that takes itself very serious this feels strange and awkward, it's just as bad a stereotypical straight character.) and two NPCs that keep making talking gestures yet they do not speak. And I found this couple of mime players throughout the game, perfect for movies, weak for games. Toke me out of the immersion. My final note is on the very low rating, while Bioware/EA deserves this. ME 3 would get a 5 maybe a 6 out of 10. Yet this very low grade it due to a few events, first off all: Dear Bioware, hiring people who do not like to play video games will get you a 3.2 for your 20+ $ million game. For sure. And going after the CoD audience is even worse, the average gamer is 32 years old, Caucasian, semi-Atheist/christian, that raises the question: Was this game created for the average gamer? In my opinion: Nope. Leave this game be, and if you see it in the shop, place another game in front off it so people don't throw away their money. Sigvatr out.

Edit: After playing the game some more I have seen a lot of sprites. Lowering the score to a zero because of that. Sprites in a 3D game? Almost in front of the player, Bioware please! Shameful Display!
  43. Mar 6, 2012
    From the timelimited quests that you get from walking around (and you can't see the actual time limit) to the numerous dumb deaths of characters. The gameplay is, of course, even further dumbed down yet again. The writing is like something out of fanfiction, and the Reapers get retconned to hell and back.
  44. Mar 6, 2012
    Can't believe I wasted money on this game. I'm going to waste two more minutes posting this to warn people about ME3, and that's it. And the "day one DLC" is an insult, what has become of the video game industry?
  45. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 3
    Average User Score: 4.4
    0 Mass Effect 3 Image If you would like to see my complete review please pay for my DLC. Otherwise it's sad to see a company let corporate greed drive them into the ground be releasing a game with part of it's content cut out for the sole purpose of a cash grab. As well as release a generic game that has gone so far from it's root that it should
    Mass Effect 3
    Average User Score: 4.4
    Mass Effect 3 Image
    If you would like to see my complete review please pay for my DLC. Otherwise it's sad to see a company let corporate greed drive them into the ground be releasing a game with part of it's content cut out for the sole purpose of a cash grab. As well as release a generic game that has gone so far from it's root that it should really be called "Generic shooter 3"
  46. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't think I've been more disappointed in a game in a long, long time... The combat is just all around boring, in fact I would say it's even worse than the second games combat (which was bad). The storyline is borderline bad fan-fiction, but the worst part is the choices. The choices in this game are pretty much non-existent, with the dialogue wheel being further gutted to make it appeal to a wider audience. There are usually only two choices for any given conversation, and they always do the exact same thing no matter what. And speaking of choices, pretty much everything you did in the first two games is completely irrelevant in the third. If Wrex died in Mass Effect 1, he's replaced by someone who looks, sounds like, and acts like Wrex. Oh yeah, and they have the same clan so there's zero story difference. The Rachni are back no matter what you did with the last remaining queen in Mass Effect 1. You might as well not even bother importing a save, nothing will change and you will have to re-make the face anyway. Expand
  47. Mar 7, 2012
    For being a AAA title, Mass Effect 3 seems to be very cheaply made. Somehow the graphics seem to have gotten worse since Mass Effect 2, and it's very noticeable throughout the entire game. Textures are fairly low res (even on the PC version), animations are clunkier than ever, and most levels are very linear/claustrophobic but still lack detail (incredibly small maps with poorly madeFor being a AAA title, Mass Effect 3 seems to be very cheaply made. Somehow the graphics seem to have gotten worse since Mass Effect 2, and it's very noticeable throughout the entire game. Textures are fairly low res (even on the PC version), animations are clunkier than ever, and most levels are very linear/claustrophobic but still lack detail (incredibly small maps with poorly made skyboxes).

The dialogue is far worse than in the first 2 Mass Effect games, seemingly taking a lesson from Dragon Age 2's writers. The central plot is better, though the disappointing ending(s) and seemingly random character deaths manage to ruin it. Bioware has introduced more of the character customization found in Mass Effect 1, but at the same time the combat is worse than ME2's. The controls are extremely clunky, you'll often find yourself dying due to getting stuck in/randomly leaving cover due to having the space bar bound to several different actions. The AI is fairly basic, generally leaving themselves out in the open though Bioware have given them more shields/health to add artificial difficulty.
  48. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I could've forgiven a lot about ME3 ... after all, I love the franchise. ME1 was amazing; ME2 I liked despite being railroaded into working for an organization I did my best to hinder at every turn during ME1, and having my Spectre status be meaningless; and despite ME3 having graphics that looked like they came from the 90s and introducing a completely unnecessary multiplayer aspect to a single-player RPG.

I could've forgiven them for all that ... but then I played til the end. Bioware's lead writer Mac Walters said the last in the series would be about our choices having impact ... but it didn't. No matter how good we were; how hard we worked; what choices we made, the galaxy is boned and there's nothing we can do to have *any* semblance of a happy ending. Does it happen in real life? Sure ... but we play video games to escape the hopelessness of real life and to have a chance, just a chance, to make a better world. I expected sacrifices, I expected tough choices, I didn't expect a deus ex machina.
  49. Mar 6, 2012
    Enjoyed ME2 immensely, but day 1 dlc kinda killed it for me, I won't be supporting this game because it makes me a bad person. it's simply not good ethics on part of bioware, anything that was developed alongside the game should be available at the day of release. This is just plain bad business ethics. In the end, its Bioware thats laughing all the way to the bank from all the money theyEnjoyed ME2 immensely, but day 1 dlc kinda killed it for me, I won't be supporting this game because it makes me a bad person. it's simply not good ethics on part of bioware, anything that was developed alongside the game should be available at the day of release. This is just plain bad business ethics. In the end, its Bioware thats laughing all the way to the bank from all the money they made. on a side note, i really did not like being force fed the issue of homosexuality/transexuals. Please Bioware, if you want to be activists that's fine but keep those issues out of games. Unnecessary homosexual dialogues aren't going to make you more edgy, it's just plain unnecessary. lets not revert back to DA2 with Anders. Expand
  50. Mar 6, 2012
    BAD Game! Truly disappointing. Bioware made 2 fantastic games in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 where you controlled Commander Shepard. Horrible ending as well. I am disgusted.
  51. Mar 6, 2012
    Worst console port ever... horrble controls, stupid story and almost all choices from the previous titles are without consequences. I regret my choice of buying this game.
  52. Mar 6, 2012
    well, i was totally dissapointed by this game. i loved me 1 and me 2 was even better, i had hoped that they would have fixed the problems in both in me3 and finished the story and it all sounded cool, the way that the game was laid out and how it would progress. i got it today and put it in and the first thing that i noticed was they changed everything about the old games. the graphicswell, i was totally dissapointed by this game. i loved me 1 and me 2 was even better, i had hoped that they would have fixed the problems in both in me3 and finished the story and it all sounded cool, the way that the game was laid out and how it would progress. i got it today and put it in and the first thing that i noticed was they changed everything about the old games. the graphics were realistic in 1 and got more realistic in 2, it looked like a movie. now it looks cartoonish or like an anime. this is probably the worst direction i could think of to go in for me. the first thing i noticed also was the alliance uniforms are different, those things on their shoulders are huge and the little chain thing, it all just screams anime or cartoon to me. i can't stand it. the next thing i noticed was the writing was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy worse than the first two. this is mass effect, its supposed to have excellent writing, like some of the best that you'll find. and i found the intro to be really just, im not sure how to describe it. bad. not on par with mass effect 1 and 2. the dialogue with characters in the game is worse, less detailed, less believeable. the story is just, bad. i mean, it seems like something youd find in some other video games but not mass effect. its not believable. characters just do a 180 from who they were in me2 or 1. they changed a lot of the graphics and the way the game works on missions from me 1 and 2 that didn't need changing. i heard a lot of people left or got fired or something for this game, and, you can definately tell. i heard one of the main writers left or was fired also, and you can definately tell that. at some times you can tell little pieces of the old mass effect series that are good, but mostly its something new and different and just doesn't play well. playing on palavens moon was pretty cool, and the geth ship next to the main battery. overall they just made all of these changes to something that didnt need changing. Expand
  53. Mar 7, 2012
    Literally the worst game ever made. If you bought this you are the cancer killing the games industry and you should probably kill you are self.
    Also hampurger helper.
  54. Mar 7, 2012
    Not having read any of the spoilers that leaked in the days before the release, I was excited to finally complete my Shepard's story only the feel like I've been slapped in the face by BioWare. I think they tried to make this whole game as if they were directing a sci-fi movie...And when I read earlier about BioWare not intending to make post-ending DLC, it only added to myNot having read any of the spoilers that leaked in the days before the release, I was excited to finally complete my Shepard's story only the feel like I've been slapped in the face by BioWare. I think they tried to make this whole game as if they were directing a sci-fi movie...And when I read earlier about BioWare not intending to make post-ending DLC, it only added to my dissapointment...oh well, enough of BioWare is my opinion Expand
  55. Mar 7, 2012
    This is one of the most disappointing games I've had the misfortune of looking forward to, and the end of a trilogy I regret falling in love with. The creators of the game have cut almost every corner they possibly could have to push this game out as soon as they could. The A.I group up in a single file line in front of my gun, the enemies will randomly break cover for no discernibleThis is one of the most disappointing games I've had the misfortune of looking forward to, and the end of a trilogy I regret falling in love with. The creators of the game have cut almost every corner they possibly could have to push this game out as soon as they could. The A.I group up in a single file line in front of my gun, the enemies will randomly break cover for no discernible reason, when behind cover my camera sometimes starts shacking and falling through the floor, the reduced amount of dialogue choices we get are extremely lacking, interaction with the crew has been reduced, the story is terribly written, much of the lore from the original Mass Effect has been retconned, choices don't change as much as I and many others had hoped for, and all the endings are basically the same with minimal details and colors changed, and no were near as much diversity as you would expect from the ending of a trilogy where choices had initially been used as a selling point. Even the few things they did do better, an example being the much more detailed faces and facial expressions, are wasted by what I assume must be inexperience or lack of care by the developers when used out of context with the situation, or used to so much of an extreme that what little immersion I have is ruined. To add insult to the injury of finding out the game I had been looking forward to for so long had been half assed, they cut out entire parts of the game and attempted to sell them back to me as DLC. This is the last time I make the mistake of putting faith into an Electronic arts or Bioware game, and I would be very concerned about the direction the companies are taking if I was an investor. Screwing over the customer like this will work in the short-term, but the customer base will eventually catch on to the nickle and dimming tactics, and move on to friendlier companies that put out better products. In short, this game deserves a 0 for the price that it is being sold at because of bad developers, greedy publishers, and an overall poor ending to an otherwise great series. Expand
  56. Mar 7, 2012
    Very sad for a once great company.
    Bad dialog
    Using sprites for background characters
    Can't import faces from ME1
    The ending is literally copy/paste from Deus Ex
    Tali's face is a bad photoshop from a models website
    The vast majority of the time there are only 2 dialog options
    The list goes on

It really is quite pathetic
  57. LLB
    Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After buying Mass Effect 1 recently with the full intention of going through the full Mass Effect trilogy, I really got captivated and engaged by the series' gripping plot, well-written characters and fluent, pseudo-realistic story. The controls on the PC were brilliantly tailor-made (this goes for both 1 and 2) and I really enjoyed my time with them.

Then this comes along.

After the disappointments of Dragon Age 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic, I got some worrying thoughts about this game from the start, and this was admittedly down to the completely negative effect EA have had on Bioware. This is to an extent that EA's CoD-centred demographic has affected Bioware to an extent that Baldur's Gate 2 is 10x more in depth than this game.

Baldur's Gate 2 was released 12 years ago.

That's unacceptable.

Horrendous controls, frankly stupid mechanics and omissions courtesy of Bioware, catastrophic textures which are clearly ported over from the Xbox, sub-par voice acting, torrid animations (Anderson's running animation is a particular highlight), almost complete lack of RPG elements which aren't backed up by the porrly orchestrated action sequences and an absolutely APPALLING storyline and script.

Here's a particular example.

My particular hand crafted Shepard character is a hardened war-hero. He's seen some **** to put it informally, he's seen countless squadmates...

But ONE death. Of a child (of which there already would've been many during this Reaper fight) who has no relation to him. THIS, forms the stimulus for the plot. It's unbelievable storytelling from Bioware, in that they would obviously try to be edgy whilst forgetting that their plot in the previous games was already gritty and edgy- in a good way.

Overall this has left me incredibly disappointed at what could have been, and also that the Bioware of old is gone. This is the future of their development, but they are guaranteed perfect scores from most media outlets because they're Bioware. They're famous. Regardless of quality they are who they are and apparently that makes them more worthy of other masterpieces which are much more worthy of people's time- The Witcher 2 is a perfect example of a beautifully crafted RPG.

This doesn't come close. Absolutely appalling game.
  58. Mar 9, 2012
    What happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to trulyWhat happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to truly write at all. Plot holes opening up all around you and with the endings ripped off from Deus Ex makes me wonder what exactly Bioware/EA were thinking when the final script was approved. The endings completely go against the spirit of the series and more than that they are all essentially the same my making every other choice up to that point completely null. I find it even more offensive that almost all of the RPG elements have become so watered down as to be unrecognisable. The conversation wheel which longtime fans of the series such as myself have come to know and love rarely shows up now. And even when it does all it offers is two ways to say the same thing. Even worse, your choices in the previous two make no really substantial difference in this entry either. Even the illusion of choice is gone. You almost don't get to converse with your crew at all. Instead your interaction is mostly limited to selecting them like you do with Zaeed Massani in ME2 and they talk a little bit while you just stand there. This becomes a big problem because ME3 throws in with no real introduction or background characters who are completely new or have only been featured in the Expanded Universe. I like the voice acting and appreciate that the world feels more alive now with background characters talking to one another when you walk by, that is when the sound doesn't drop out. It's unfortunate that the coders haven't learned anything, all the cut scene glitches are back in full force. Including the one where everyone uses the same assault rifle during the cut scene, regardless of whether or not they can even use one. It's nice to see all characters from the first two one last time, a little family reunion if you will. It's a shame that almost none of them will be joining your squad again. I do like the direction ground combat has taken though the removal of heavy weapons is another negative in my book. The day one DLC feels more like game content that was cut out rather than an actual add on. And having this nearly story essential DLC on day one is just plain greedy.

Mostly though I just can't get around the endings. It feels like a punch in the gut to those of us who were big fans of the first two. It's so out of left field that I almost expect M. Night Shyamalan to be responsible for this travesty. It's almost like ending The Lord of the Rings with Frodo riding a nuke into Barad-dûr with a cowboy hat on. I almost wish it would have been a Dallas-"It was all a dream" ending.
  59. Mar 9, 2012
    I do not blame Bioware for the insult that is ME3 - I blame EA, for they have obviously leaned on Bioware to push this out way before it was truly ready, and the ending is where that rushedness is most obvious.

The storyline gets you going at places, and the cinematic scenes can be quite attractive at times, but you can just feel the DLC spam waiting to pounce. When it comes to sci-fi games, the original KOTOR and ME1 trumps this anyday, hell, the KOTOR gfx arn't that far off ME3.
  60. Mar 18, 2012
    I absolutely loved the game, felt emotionally attached to all my characters and couldn't wait to see how my favorite gaming series of the last decade would be concluded... Now I wish I had stopped ten minutes before I did.

The ending has completely ruined the experience for me, not only for ME3, but also the first two games. It's impossibly difficult to invest in a game you know will leave you an empty and broken husk at the end.

As someone so bluntly put it in a forum post: It's like eating a magnificent three-course dinner, only to be served fecal matter for dessert, forcing your body to expunge it all at a lethal velocity. No matter how good the rest of the meal tasted, you'll leave on an empty stomach and with a terrible taste in your mouth. I wish this wasn't true. I really do.
  61. Mar 8, 2012
    What a crap game! Bioware has done it again! Crap characters, crap story and crap setting. I don't understand all the positive reaction from users. They can't be playing the same game as I am. Either that or they are running a smear campaign against the public because they think we're homophobes. If that is the case - GET A LIFE!
  62. Mar 6, 2012
    First EA decides to remove Mass Effect from Steam and make it an Origin exclusive. Them EA starts supporting SOPA. Them Bioware spits on its fans, by releasing a extremely relevant DLC on day one. It is very clear that they want to maximize their profits... but, who doesn't? Every single developer of every single company wants to "milk their fans". The problem with EA is that they do itFirst EA decides to remove Mass Effect from Steam and make it an Origin exclusive. Them EA starts supporting SOPA. Them Bioware spits on its fans, by releasing a extremely relevant DLC on day one. It is very clear that they want to maximize their profits... but, who doesn't? Every single developer of every single company wants to "milk their fans". The problem with EA is that they do it in a way that we feel exploited. I dont care about wasting 60 dollars on a good game. But buying a game for 60 bucks, on a EXTREMELY worse online platform than Steam, and feeling that my game is missing a very important part of the story unless i spend another 10 dollars, it is too much. I bought Mass Effect 1 and 2, and I`m not going to buy the 3rd game. Shame on you Bioware! Expand
  63. Mar 6, 2012
    Played it for an hour. It's completely unfun. The levels are EXTREMELY linear. There's no sense of discovery or anything, just a generated static level with a few objects thrown in, and a straight line to follow. If I were 8 again, I would still be getting bored by how uninteresting the levels and objectives are.

The main quest is just a compilation of side quests where you meet

The main quest is just a compilation of side quests where you meet characters from Mass Effect 2. You might ask "how can you know if you only played for an hour?" It's easy to tell since it's the exact formula from Mass Effect 2 (which I actually played through, somehow). You do a billion "data retrieval" quests where you just infiltrate some building that has data in it, kill a billion enemies that you couldn't possibly die to even with the highest difficulty on, and then go back to your ship and make some sort of progression.

It's disgusting that you can actually just rush a game and expect to make money. I'm sure they'll sell 80 billion copies somehow, even though it's really nothing more than a 65$ expansion pack.

I give it a 0/10 because I'm actually annoyed even though I played it at a friend's house, and didn't pay for it. I haven't been this disappointed for a game since Dragon Age 2 (ANOTHER BIOWARE TITLE!, WHAT A SURPRISE?!).
  64. Mar 6, 2012
    Hundreds of day 1 DLC's, explosions like a Michael Bay movie, bad story, bad ending, mediocre gameplay. Do NOT buy. This game was marketed only for the COD fanboys and is just a sad attempt at cashing in. Shame on you Bioware.
  65. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm rating this a steady 4. Aesthetics are amazing compared to the first 2 games, but that's pretty much where the pros end. Paragon/Renegade are useless now (they are joined together into "Reputation"), the spacebar for everything got me killed a few times, diplomacy between the Geth and Quarians is not possible, etc. I could handle misc team members from ME2 dying if you didn't help them in time, I could handle that you only have 6 squad members, but the thing that turned me off to the whole series is the lack of effort given in the final ultimatum... Such terrible, non-redeeming options. It makes me not want to replay the series because I know the end is not worth it. Expand
  66. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just want to say this before I begin: I loved Mass Effect 1 and I loved Mass Effect 2, despite how streamlined it was. Characterization was excellent and I felt like I was accomplishing something everywhere I went. That just doesn't happen in Mass Effect 3.

I'm about 15 hours into the game and I've been really, really trying to enjoy it, but none of the content really feels "right." You're fighting a war to defend the galaxy from total extinction but no one will help you until you clean their noses and make sure the dishes are tucked away nicely. It's ridiculous. Combat has been simplified even further, but instead of enemies dying in a few hits like they did in ME2 which allowed for good flow they are all bullet sponges. Eventually I just gave up on using my guns and punched everyone to death because it was faster and actually did damage.

Animations are absolutely hideous. Running, walking, talking, everything is just freaking awful. When you run your arms flail around ridiculously and everything is stiff. Just go watch Anderson running in the demo to see how bad it is.

Characterization has also taken a big hit. You get bulk mcbigguy who randomly switches between English and Spanish at will, bland Asari, etc. Mordin's voice actor was replaced with someone who lacks the same charm as the original and they even managed to butcher Garrus. That's not even mentioning how bad the dialog is. Here are some examples without spoilers:

Shepard: How are things?
    Person: Bad [specific details].
    Shepard: That bad?
    Person: Yes.
    ----
    Shepard: How are you holding up?
    Person: It's tough, you know?
    Shepard (Paragon): There was this kid back on Earth, I watched him die before your eyes.
    Person: That sucks.
    ----

I am truly disappointed. I didn't believe that Bioware could mess up this badly after Dragon Age 2, I thought they learned their lesson. I was wrong.
  67. Mar 6, 2012
    Given the potential of the first two games, and all the news and promises, I really thought BioWare couldn't go wrong with this game. Man, I was wrong.

From the terrible dialogue, to the obviously rushed and illogical plot "twist" and the endings ripped-off from Deus Ex, Mass Effect 3 not only proved to be a poor game but it also made me feel like I wasted countless hours playing and replaying the first two games.

Talking about the first two games, playing them is completely optional, given that no matter what (thousands) of different choices you made, the end-game is strictly the same for everyone. Nothing you do really matters. Yet again, we were only given the illusion of choice.Despite all the false advertisement by BioWare, we are playing THEIR (poorly written) story, not ours.

And not only they ruined the story, but the gameplay experience continues to move towards the generic-3rd-person-fps path, with dumbed down dialogue, less choices to be made, characters introduced to appease the teenage boys and girls and the (profit-aimed and unnecessary) addition of multiplayer. BioWare definitely wants new target market - one in which I'm certainly not included.
  68. Mar 7, 2012
    It has good elements, and the gameplay itself is generally fun, but the awful characters, writing, plot, the fact that its about 15 hours long and features 4 companions while claiming to be a rpg along with the whole dlc catastrophe drags this guy down to a 2.
  69. Mar 6, 2012
    YA Blew It

YA Blew It

This game really nose dived faster than the Titanic. Horrible clunky control, bad user interface, and just plain embarrassingly horrible writing. The RPG elements are completely gone, the game feels like COWADOOTY GEARS OF WAR IN SPACE with homosexual references shoved down my throat. Now I consider my self a post modernist moral relativist secular-humanist transgender in the embodiment of female form but the homosexual references about how Commander Shepherd sucks the best dick on board the ship etc, etc is just way to forced. I personally blame Jennifer "the land whale" Helper, she is not a true ally of the QUILTBAG (Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans, Bisexual, Asexual, Gay) movement. Some respected sources such as Alex Jones even suggest that she is confirmed Mossad spy sent by Yugoslavia to damage the image of us QUILTBAGs. To me it seems plausible, just look at bad ME 3 portrays homosexuals and it's not too hard to believe. That's about it, pretty much glad it's over.
  70. Mar 6, 2012
    Its a plataform game, and for PC dont have controller support, this is ridiculus....Wrong move bioware!
    So simple dont u think?Put some support for xbox controller, why this dont have?Strange...
  71. Mar 6, 2012
    Worse game of the series, not to mention Origin deepthroats flaccid donkey penis to the max. Do yourself a favour and avoid this garbage and the pos spyware EA wants to force you to install.
  72. Mar 6, 2012
    >hamburger helper
    >bioshit
    >$900 dlc
    >actually uses sex to advance the plot
    >shit ending
    >average third person shooting mechanics
    >console graphics
    0/10 bioware, step it up
  73. Mar 7, 2012
    This game, and the second one, is a result of poor standards for the gaming industry. A bad plot, and shoehorned in character development. There is no more exploration, no more mystery-it's hallways and FPS action sequences, chased down with unwarrented romance options. This is the same "quality" of work from DA2, and it's not just dissapointing, it is downright insulting to the playersThis game, and the second one, is a result of poor standards for the gaming industry. A bad plot, and shoehorned in character development. There is no more exploration, no more mystery-it's hallways and FPS action sequences, chased down with unwarrented romance options. This is the same "quality" of work from DA2, and it's not just dissapointing, it is downright insulting to the players who've waited for these games. Expand
  74. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved the first Mass Effect. Bioware has absolutely ruined Mass Effect for me with this latest installment. Horrible endings, writing, etc. What Bioware has done to this series that had so much potential from the first installment is criminal. Avoid this game, avoid this developer.
  75. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. im about 6 hours in...and im gonna flat out say ME 3 has jumped the shark.

i had just finished playing through ME1 + ME 2 to get hyped for ME 3...and it just feels

....like its made for guidos....i legitimately feel dumber for playing Mass Effect 3. the first thing i said when i got on the Normandy was..."what the **** is Ronnie from the Jersey Shore doing on my ****ing ship?"...then i realized it was James, the new guy...frohawk and all...the first hour alone is 95% cutscenes with 100 BAYSPLOSIONS that you have no interaction with.

the dialogue and voice acting is horribly done....everything feels force and emotionless. every piece of dialogue is centered around THE REAPERS and THE PROTHEAN DEVICE, which aria magically has the only access to..BUT NO ONE KNOWS HOW IT WORKS. garrus is as souless as a polititian. the council dilibrates and discusses things like theyre a group of high school girls. its so ****ing bad its hard to play.

the interaction with the game feels like its designed for 10 year olds. scanning consists of pinging for THE REAPERS. there is no planet scannign or resource finding...theres WAR ASSETS...loot finding consists of open your eyes and look for the green reticule.

the illusive man randomly shows up on mars...goes haha im backstabbing you...and dissappears...WITH NO EXPLANATION. you magically get spectre status which grants you a **** ton of cash...THERES NO DEPTH TO THIS GAME. i played as an adept through ME 1 and ME 2 which was ****ing fun...but the gameplay for adept in ME3 is use power + m1 + wait for cooldown + power + m1 + wait for cooldown...while the game throws hoards of enemies at you. its not fun.

the worst part is...shepard has been pussified beyond belief...i regrettably saved ashley (who went from unattractive in ME1 + ME2 to super hot in ME3 btw) and the first 3 hours of the game surrounds this bull**** love triangle between ashley and aria...and out of no where...this guidette shows up to replace kelly on the normandy and starts getting jealous of EDI because its giving Shepard orders. theres one really obvious boob shot that was the most obvious ploy for guidos to get hooked on the game, it was pathetic. THE SOB STORY WITH THE LITTLE BOY AND THE DREAM SEQUENCES MADE ME FEEL EXTREMELY HOMOSEXUAL AND FEMININE. I DID NOT EVEN HAVE A CHOICE TO SAVE HIM OR NOT. I HAD TO FEEL BAD.

i know im just ranting...but im gonna keep trying to push through the game til it gets better...but the more i play the more i feel like im getting dick punched in the jaw.
  76. Nil
    Mar 6, 2012
    So, let's start. My last review got deleted.
    Why? This game genuinely deserves a 1.
    -Disregards previous installments. -Gameplay is akin to Gears of War, this is not a good thing. -Graphically inferior to the previous game in the series. -Horrible, uncanny valley, character models. -Favors "sexy" over logic. -Story driven game with a story so badly written, including cheap emotional
    So, let's start. My last review got deleted.
    Why? This game genuinely deserves a 1.
    -Disregards previous installments.
    -Gameplay is akin to Gears of War, this is not a good thing.
    -Graphically inferior to the previous game in the series.
    -Horrible, uncanny valley, character models.
    -Favors "sexy" over logic.
    -Story driven game with a story so badly written, including cheap emotional manipulation attempts. Oh sorry, I am meant to cry about a child who turns out to be important just because.
    -Old characters die in unimpressive scenarios and for no real reason. Remember those characters from previous games? They are not important anymore.
    -Enemies are simple, gameplay tediously repetitive whack-a-mole.
    -Disregards choice, it gives you the illusion of selecting where or what happens, but in the end this doesn't affect outcome. Ending choices happen LITERALLY at the end. Whatever you did beforehand plays no role in the end.
    -The ending.
    -The dialogue throughout.

Overall this game took everything that is wrong with modern games and tacked it onto this franchise, a franchise we once loved and cared for.
    This is completely unacceptable.
  77. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game itself was, by far, the best of the series. However, it was absolutely ruined by a slate of unbelievably sour endings. None of your previous choices matter in the end. The last twenty minutes are depressing and bleak, even with the "good" ending. If your are emotionally invested in your squadmates or LI, proceed with caution and expect the worst; for the worst manifests. The Bioware writing crew seemed to go the extra mile, complete with introducing inexplicable plot holes to make the endings extra dour. The ending will ruin it for you. Promise. Expand
  78. Mar 6, 2012
    Seriously disappointing. The game is a prime example of how negatively popularity can affect a game, not that popularity in and of itself is a plague to forms of media, but a wider audience means the developers must pander to more people, stretching a game far too thin to be any good to a real fan.

The combat is clunky, you can't even sprint through a simple fire zone without sticking to a wall like a refrigerator magnet, the writing is hamfisted, the characters feel either gimmicky or totally bland, and the multiplayer is lackluster, and to top it all off, first day DLC that could have just been included in the game in the first place.

A truly worse-than-mediocre experience.
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    If you look closely at Mass Effect 3 you will see the last tiny bit of Bioware's soul rot away, consumed by EA forever. As someone who has been a fan of their games from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age: Origins, seeing how far they have fallen has been a painful experience. Writing has deteriorated to the most basic black and white, with most dialogues presenting only 2 options rather than 3.If you look closely at Mass Effect 3 you will see the last tiny bit of Bioware's soul rot away, consumed by EA forever. As someone who has been a fan of their games from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age: Origins, seeing how far they have fallen has been a painful experience. Writing has deteriorated to the most basic black and white, with most dialogues presenting only 2 options rather than 3. As was feared the series ends with a Deus Ex Machina (quite literally as the ending was almost entirely stolen from the game Deus Ex). Further evidence plagiarism of a desktop wallpaper of all things in the game's FINAL SCENE does not help Bioware's case. The whole thing seems like it was rushed with little care about the game's quality, as if they expected people to buy it automatically no matter how bad it was (and I'm sure they do). Creativity seems truly dead from that studio at this point. Do not buy this game. No not rent it, do not waste the bandwidth of pirating it. Vote with your dollars in the slim hope that Bioware may someday return to its senses. Expand
  80. Mar 6, 2012
    The plot holes become impossible to ignore. The motivation and origin of the reapers is nearly incoherent. After all of the choices you've made in the series, only the one you make at the very end has real lasting consequences. The game boasts 3 endings, which are really just the same ending with different window dressing. This game has managed to taint the entire series for me.The plot holes become impossible to ignore. The motivation and origin of the reapers is nearly incoherent. After all of the choices you've made in the series, only the one you make at the very end has real lasting consequences. The game boasts 3 endings, which are really just the same ending with different window dressing. This game has managed to taint the entire series for me. After Dragon Age II and now this, I think Bioware has lost the magic. Expand
  81. Mar 6, 2012
    This is game is a sad confirmation how low gaming industry has gotten. When I remember first Mass Effect and its great potential of space exploration, new worlds, exotic aliens, ancient mysteries...It's all gone. Now we have a simple shooter with barely a plot to speak off, used just as an excuse to shoot enemies on the screen. Gone are mysteries of the Galaxy, gone are exotic cultures andThis is game is a sad confirmation how low gaming industry has gotten. When I remember first Mass Effect and its great potential of space exploration, new worlds, exotic aliens, ancient mysteries...It's all gone. Now we have a simple shooter with barely a plot to speak off, used just as an excuse to shoot enemies on the screen. Gone are mysteries of the Galaxy, gone are exotic cultures and aliens. Instead we have romances straight from soap operas and forced gay sex for cheap controversy and looking PC.
    Bye Bioware. I knew you were dying when I saw DA2, but I had still hope. You are truly dead. What remains is comparable to Husks presented in ME3. A twisted caricature of former glory which brought such titles as Baldur's Gate, ME1 and DAO. Now we have a shooter with elements of dating sim.
  82. Mar 6, 2012
    loved ME1, and even mildly enjoyed ME2. This game is made for Xbox COD Kiddies. AVOID!. Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down, Let Down
  83. Mar 6, 2012
    As a humongous fan of the first one and somewhat disappointed player of the second, this installment completely ruins the entire series and franchise. The game isn't even worthy of the oxygen used by the mouthbreathing yaoi fanfiction writers that worked on it. The plot is atrocious with some of the biggest gaping plot holes I've ever seen, along with cardboard dialogue and next to noAs a humongous fan of the first one and somewhat disappointed player of the second, this installment completely ruins the entire series and franchise. The game isn't even worthy of the oxygen used by the mouthbreathing yaoi fanfiction writers that worked on it. The plot is atrocious with some of the biggest gaping plot holes I've ever seen, along with cardboard dialogue and next to no character progression. The gameplay is literally almost none existent, you essentially just walk, shoot a few bad guys a-la gears of duty reach style because the combat is so simplified that a child could breeze through it, and then move onto a half hour of bland cut scenes. The RPG elements are extremely bad because they're "streamlined" so much that it actually feels like the game is insulting you for having such low intelligence. The graphics which were decent for the last two have actually managed to take a lunge backwards, they use SPRITES in some scenes and the areas consist of chest high walls and bland ravaged city scapes weve all seen in low budget action movies. This game is an insult to its predeccors and the gaming industry as a whole, its like bioware is seeing just how far they can take paid reviews and a disgustingly close minded fan-base. Expand
  84. Mar 8, 2012
    I'm just feeling so terribly disappointed with ME3, it's like either Bioware doesn't give a damn about their fans, or EA purposely makes them create games like that. At the first glance it doesn't look bad, you can import your old character, game tells you what choices have you taken (the most important ones naturally), you can customize looks like in ME, classes have close resemblance toI'm just feeling so terribly disappointed with ME3, it's like either Bioware doesn't give a damn about their fans, or EA purposely makes them create games like that. At the first glance it doesn't look bad, you can import your old character, game tells you what choices have you taken (the most important ones naturally), you can customize looks like in ME, classes have close resemblance to ME2 ones (similar abilities, new "specialization"-like forks though + some additional skills sometimes), and god, after you're done it starts. Intro might look ok, but certainly graphics don't - engine got old, but it's not a excuse, you feel like playing some low grade console port instead of major game, textures are hideous, animations as well (especially Anderson's, and omg, he's footaged even in demo), nothing special in lightning or mimics departments, so in short - it's like ME2, bah, maybe even worse. Art direction makes up for it though, as it did before, some views are really stunning plus majority of "open" areas (open only by name, zones are as small as they used be) really feels deep. No major concerns about music/sound, even though like 50% or more is reused which hurts. You'd think they moved some budget elsewhere (like story, dialogues etc.), but then "fun" begins. Main plot is really shallow, each subsequent mission kinda pushes you through, pace is just too high, I admit, some turns really are decent, but imho, everything is just too blatant and easy to anticipate, especially closer to ending - it's like they either ran out of cash or EA pushed devs so game could be released earlier. I don't know, but for sure, ending in this game is just very weak (at best), and can really cause outrage in some impatient fans. Anyway, it's still better than what was done to all the sidequests, now they're close to inexistent - like 80% them is simple "get the item' (usually by snapping it from shops or finding in new user unfriendly galaxy exploration), bring it to Citadel (no other quest hub), talk to NPC and claim reward. No dialogue choices (bb persuading or threatening npcs for greater rewards), just probe-item-reward cycle over and over again. You can feel lucky if npc actually has anything to say, mostly it's just simple 1-liner w/o choice, just like it was with Kasumi and Zaeed ship dialogues in ME2. Now imagine it dumbed down even more, and you get brief look on how npc interaction looks, really. Yes, even with important persons, including team mates. When dialogue wheel appears you can be certain it's either opportunity for some questions regarding landmarks, persons etc. or binary paragon/renegade choice, "Do or do not" like Yoda would say, and it applies here in a very bad manner. You don't feel like you have control over action any more, not mentioning choices you've done before (if importing) are barely touched, should you kill or spare certain people (notably ME2 squad mates), outcome is basically the same, npc gets replaced by some random other, lines stay the same, and it just keeps turning like it was. Hell, I even tried dialogue with 'Irritating Man' with opposite choices and it was just the same, only Shep's lines changed. For the joke's sake you had paragon/renegade limited choices, and they didn't do the trick either, which is just ridiculous (not enough money for creating proper dialogue scripts and doing VA? I don't think so) and pushes you away from game. So far I could name only 2 things that changed in plus - combat and weaponry. Fighting is much faster than it was in ME2, you get some new skills and ways to customize them, also choice of weapons is much larger, with additional customization in that field by adding 2 mods of choice for each. Now you have to decide if you want, let's say super strong Black Widow rifle or some small SMG, because each one differs in weight and your overall balance changes cooldowns on abilities, by either shortening them or lengthen by as much as 200% (if really encumbered). You have some fancy new mechanics like shooting through walls and such. All in all not too shabby, but not with these controls, especially often cumbersome space usage. Since I'm close to 5k limit, I'll just do a quick balance:
    +fast-paced fights with various tactics applicable +weapons customizable again! +overall design -gfx -story -dialogues -interaction -exploration -side quests
    -"flat" choices
    -close to 0 influence on story outcome
    -certain plot turns are just plain stupid
    -npcs have no character (especially new)
    -multiplayer
    -ME badge in spite of being that bad
    -horrid endings
    -general lack of polish
    -1st day DLC not free (greedy much?)
    -Origin
    Yup, it's really that big let down, no BW games for me anytime soon, unless they repent and leave leeches from EA.
  85. Mar 6, 2012
    I enjoyed ME 1 immensely but this feels like an empty shell compared to that. My previous choices seem pointless, it's like that story and deaths are ignored.
  86. Mar 6, 2012
    Origin - Unacceptable. Day 1 DLC - Unacceptable. As far as the rest of the game is concerned: Mass Effect 1 was an exciting, innovative new type of Action-RPG. It had an epic story in a unique, diverse universe, very good writing, great characters and real choices for the player. Little is left of that. In their desire to cater to the fans of shooters and casual games, BioWare has reducedOrigin - Unacceptable. Day 1 DLC - Unacceptable. As far as the rest of the game is concerned: Mass Effect 1 was an exciting, innovative new type of Action-RPG. It had an epic story in a unique, diverse universe, very good writing, great characters and real choices for the player. Little is left of that. In their desire to cater to the fans of shooters and casual games, BioWare has reduced the RPG elements, trivialized the dialogue and taken away much of the character development and choices that make a proper RPG. The story that started in Mass Effect 1 as an interesting and mystic space opera has been transformed into a predictable soap opera with mostly mediocre, sometimes outright terrible, writing. It might still be better than most of the other stories in video games these days, but that's of course not very difficult, and it's nowhere near the quality that BioWare used to deliver. Probably the worst example of the inability of the writers are the endings. On the other hand, perhaps they too were imposed by EA, to reduce the required work and costs. One complaint against Mass Effect 1 was the somewhat uninspired combat system. This had already been replaced in Mass Effect 2 with a clone of the usual cover-based shooters. Not very innovative and in my opinion still quite repetitive and not very challenging, but many players seemed to enjoy it. So in that regard, Mass Effect 3 certainly delivers the expected. But that's of course not nearly enough to make it a great game, and it's also not the reason why I play BioWare games or RPGs in general. Expand
  87. Mar 6, 2012
    It's awesome how EA thinks their costumers want to play. Mass Effect 2 had its issues, but after all it was still a good game. This game here is ridiculous. Pure linear nonsense, a really bad gameplay and last but not least players are forced to use Origin. Flop of the year.
  88. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved Mass Effect
    I adored Mass Effect 2
    I loved Mass Effect
    I adored Mass Effect 2
    I truly and utterly despise Mass Effect 3. EA and Bioware basically killed one of the best gaming title of the past 10 years with this last installment. It's boring and blatant, it tries to act like an FPS game, it's overly simplified, it's ugly, it's story is nowhere comperable to the previous ones, it forces gay romances down your throat, it's too easy even on insanity, it's...it's just BAD. And this comes from a gamer who even bought ME2 Collectors Edition because of how much I loved these games.

I strongly suggest not buying this game, Boycott Bioware, BOYCOTT EA, do anything that you can to make them realize this is not what we wanted.

This is a sad time for gaming.
  89. Mar 7, 2012
    As a proud passive gay of African-American origin, I am deeply disturbed and offended by this ridiculous "game". What's wrong with you, Bioware? Did you seriously expected to fool many thousands of young gay and transgender gamers? Censored interspecies "sex" does not make your inferior product neither good nor appealing. OH MY GOD I think it's the absolutely worst game I've ever played inAs a proud passive gay of African-American origin, I am deeply disturbed and offended by this ridiculous "game". What's wrong with you, Bioware? Did you seriously expected to fool many thousands of young gay and transgender gamers? Censored interspecies "sex" does not make your inferior product neither good nor appealing. OH MY GOD I think it's the absolutely worst game I've ever played in my entire life. I can't believe I'm saying that. It is so ugly, primitive, outright boring. And what's up with the "critics" and their scores, huh? Expand
  90. Mar 8, 2012
    This doesn't feel like it cost 50 million dollars to make. I'm wishing it didn't cost me 80 dollars to buy.

Before all that, I never really got into any Bioware games beyond Mass Effect, but the first one really snagged me. I bought it on a Steam sale for 5 dollars because it was so highly praised. I saw why! Its combat was moderately challenging, had a great story, cool characters and I enjoyed their interactions with each other and the universe they lived in. It was a living breathing environment that I was simply enraptured by. As soon as Mass Effect 2 was announced, I preordered the Collector's edition because I had no idea that things were going to get cheesey. Still, the game didn't disappoint me. It looked better, put me in some great new environments while cutting out a lot of the generic copy paste elements from the first and best of all, introduced some more great characters with genuinely cool interactions between them. Sure the classic combat got thrown under the bus in favor of the tried and true bootleg Gears of War system, but it wasn't broken by any means. It still left me with a good enough taste in my mouth to preorder the CE of ME3. Besides, I was this invested in the series, I had to see it end.

Oh boy. Too put it simply, Mass Effect 3 is lazy. The characters look, move and sound terribly. On the design front, I could take or leave most to f the new outfits and the textures are also hit or miss, but some character's faces look positively simian (Ashley). Margaret Cho bot makes a cameo in the game for whatever reason that is, taking the place of Kelly Wong's established character. From a quick google search, she is actually pretty, but you wouldn't think so from the way she's rendered in game with her ginormous squirrel face and mouth that moves independent from the rest of her features. I heard that a lot of the development was put into voice acting ,which is believable because there are loooots of it, but the volume normalization is really off and on to the point of me wonderig where the money went. Margaret Chobot in particular has a bad habit of leaning away from the mic every now and then. If she were saying anything important I'd doubtlessly be more irritated.

The game's animations are also sloppy; there are LOTS of poorly thought out loops mixed with awkward general movements. I giggle everytime I knock an enemy down and they break dance windmill flare there way back to their feet, but I can't help being disappointed with the stupid looking running animations.

Oh, the breakdance comment reminds me of the developers decision to make the spacebar do everything. Sometimes it works! Really! On tuchanka I found myself just holding spacebar and marvelled at how my character ran and jumped over the stuff I wanted to jump over, and slid and rolled everywhere I inted them to. Theeeeeen... there are cases where I'm trying to pick up an item on the ground and my Shepard instead chooses to do kumbi rolls around it for 45 seconds before sliding into cover behind a chest-high wall, not having picked up the item I tried telling them to. Nobody's perfect.

One thing that really broke my heart though was the fact that all my Saved character faces were imported poorly. I could recreate them, sure, but that's just pathetic. I don't understand why it's like that. If they added more options to the character creation bits, yeah sure, but they didn't. Why couldn't my sheps be imported properly?

Of course, aside from character continuity, none of these previously mentioned issues were the thing that made me enjoy this series. After all if I want good and fluid combat I'll play Gears of War. If I want great animations I'll play GTA4. I wanted to see what became of these characters that I'm so invested in, of their universe that fascinates me so. I don't want to spoil anything, but God, this is where the ball was dropped. A lot of characters are cameos and after thoughts, like an old friend who stops by to give a quick hello in the middle of a roadtrip. The story has also drowned in nacho cheese to the point that it has simply become predictable when not outrageous and kinda generic where it used to be something special. It almost makes me feel as if Mass Effect 2 was a completely pointless existence. I have a sneaking suspicion that they knew the old players would come back no matter what and they had to focus on roping in new ones.

The multiplayer's cool though, I guess. If you're into that. I'm not.

I thought it would be funny if I ended this review on an after thought. Get it?
  91. Mar 9, 2012
    The Mass Effect series has carried much promise. The first two games were real winners and successfully implemented the notion of player choice influencing the plot in meaningful ways. It's hard to think that with such a demonstrably successful formula in their possession BioWare could do anything to damage the series, let alone ruin it. But that's exactly what they've done--in asThe Mass Effect series has carried much promise. The first two games were real winners and successfully implemented the notion of player choice influencing the plot in meaningful ways. It's hard to think that with such a demonstrably successful formula in their possession BioWare could do anything to damage the series, let alone ruin it. But that's exactly what they've done--in as little as five minutes. Of course, I'm talking about the ending everybody is in fits about. From a plot perspective, the ending to this game is unforgivably bad--a true facepalm moment in the history of gaming. The game purports to have numerous endings, but the reality is that this isn't true. They are, for the most part, the same. Mass Effect 2 had much more variance in its endings, which is ironic considering Mass Effect 2 had to account for an upcoming game when mapping out its endings. Mass Effect 3 had no such constraint, and yet it funnels all your choices into what is the same ending at its core.

I rated this game a 1 because the ending is truly THAT bad. It's just horrible.
  92. Mar 6, 2012
    The story is very unoriginal, and many aspects contradict the lore of the ME series. Basically you're paying for a reskinned Gears of War here, much like ME2. Even worse, the writing in this game is abysmal. My 7 year old niece could come up with better script and story than this. The ending is the star in this. Do not buy this game.
  93. Mar 6, 2012
    I just got the game out of the mail, played it, and was so glad I could finally have some good old Mass Effect fun. I was shocked when the game told me I have to pay 10$ extra to get my Protean squad member and the only happy ending. Also, all of the team members of my gender kept hitting on me! I don't understand why this game tries to advertise homosexuality so much to the player. I willI just got the game out of the mail, played it, and was so glad I could finally have some good old Mass Effect fun. I was shocked when the game told me I have to pay 10$ extra to get my Protean squad member and the only happy ending. Also, all of the team members of my gender kept hitting on me! I don't understand why this game tries to advertise homosexuality so much to the player. I will have to address this in church group and tell my friends not to buy this unholy piece of sin. Expand
  94. Mar 8, 2012
    Dumped down gameplay, dumped down story and dumped down everything. The bioware we used to know and love is dead, replaced by this EA/Bioware abomination that is only interested in profit.
  95. Mar 9, 2012
    Does not let me import my legal character of ME2 (it was also my character on ME1). It force me to install Steam like software with nearly no content. I've unsintalled both and lost 80$. Thx EA, next time I'll try to pirate your game before buying it.
  96. Mar 10, 2012
    Short and sweet: the endings are soo badly written and contrived that it ruins the entire game. They endings do not make any sense, none of your decisions in ME3 much less other games really impact the outcome in a meaningful manner, huge holes in what's going on and why these events are even possible are present, etc... I'm not talking bad endings like say the Soprano's, I'm talkingShort and sweet: the endings are soo badly written and contrived that it ruins the entire game. They endings do not make any sense, none of your decisions in ME3 much less other games really impact the outcome in a meaningful manner, huge holes in what's going on and why these events are even possible are present, etc... I'm not talking bad endings like say the Soprano's, I'm talking like they had to have a totally different team do the ending; like made up of marketingexecutives or something horrible. In anycase, I feel like I would be doing my fellow men and women a disservice if I did not make this review warning people not to waste time and money on this. Expand
  97. Mar 6, 2012
    Does not live up to the other games, a letdown. Seriously? Joker telling his grandkids a story? Talk dies? It's a real shame the game ended like it did.
  98. Mar 6, 2012
    I'm so disgusted with this game that I had to finally make an account here so I could share the sheer disappointment I've experienced so far. This game doesn't even seem like it was made by the same company. It feels like the writers for ME3 read the cliff notes describing the series so far and tried to slap something together that could pass as a sequel. They failed. This series deservedI'm so disgusted with this game that I had to finally make an account here so I could share the sheer disappointment I've experienced so far. This game doesn't even seem like it was made by the same company. It feels like the writers for ME3 read the cliff notes describing the series so far and tried to slap something together that could pass as a sequel. They failed. This series deserved better than this, and so did the fans. Such a shame. Expand
  99. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware. Baby. Darling. Honeycakes. We need to talk. You've always toed the line between a direct narrative and a branching narrative, and in the past it's never been a problem. Probably because the meat of the games was in the character arcs and interactions, and changing incidentals about the characters throughout the game based on choice, while not having a monumental impact, will atBioware. Baby. Darling. Honeycakes. We need to talk. You've always toed the line between a direct narrative and a branching narrative, and in the past it's never been a problem. Probably because the meat of the games was in the character arcs and interactions, and changing incidentals about the characters throughout the game based on choice, while not having a monumental impact, will at least give the player the FEELING of agency. There is no agency in this. None of my decisions matter. Rather than translating into flags with any significant impact on the universe, they translate into "peace points" and galactic readiness points and other hyper-simplistic **** And then there's the dialogue wheels: just like DA2, the 3-word bit of text you pick from the wheel has nothing to do with your answer. **** nothing. At one point Ashley was being emo and one of the options I could pick, in the paragon position (but not needing points), was "We've been through a lot." I thought "Oh, he's going to appeal to her emotionally through shared experience!" I selected it. Cue Shepard angrily growling "You should know me better." This makes me feel as though I'm not a part of events. That's bad. Video games are not movies, Bioware, they are video games. The scene in the demo/opening with the little boy? I know you thought it was heart-wrenching, I do, and that's adorable of you, but it's not. We met that boy literally a minute ago, and had no connection with his emotional state at all. Now he's dead. CUE SAD MUSIC AND SHEPARD LOOK SO SAD. Get over yourselves. You work best doing tongue-in-cheek, not melodrama. Oh, and stop gutting the RPG elements. In ME1 the passives were ridiculous at high levels, and you could highly specialize Shepard. The system in ME3 is the same one from ME2 with the upgrades spread out a bit thinner. The combat sections are largely tedious and laughably easy, even on the hardest difficulty. I will give Bioware one thing: they have improved on the fluidity of TPS control. However, in their fervor to do so, they forgot to make enemies that actually force the player to explore this new fluidity. He can just sit behind his chest-high wall and line up headshots with his x-ray vision Expand
  100. Mar 8, 2012
    After putting in nearly 100+ hours in the first two Mass Effect games and loving every second of it, Mass Effect 3 left me more than disappointed. The story feels really dumbed down, filled with plot holes and for lack of words, just really bad. There have been tons of technical glitches so far, including issues installing with Origin. (LOTS of texture pop-in, etc on a GTX 260- more thanAfter putting in nearly 100+ hours in the first two Mass Effect games and loving every second of it, Mass Effect 3 left me more than disappointed. The story feels really dumbed down, filled with plot holes and for lack of words, just really bad. There have been tons of technical glitches so far, including issues installing with Origin. (LOTS of texture pop-in, etc on a GTX 260- more than enough to run the game) Bioware has been on a decline lately, and Mass Effect 3 officially lost them an otherwise loyal fan. Collapse

1. Apr 11, 2012