Mass Effect 3 PC

5.6

1. Mar 8, 2012
    Got to say i am very disappointed with this game, i dont know if its just me but the graphics have got worse the game mechanics are still clunky and unwieldy (despite that i still love ME2) the character writing has gotten extremely chicle... What the hell happened to Kotor/Jade empire bio ware that's what i want to know. Also this game being clearly developed for consoles has not helpedGot to say i am very disappointed with this game, i dont know if its just me but the graphics have got worse the game mechanics are still clunky and unwieldy (despite that i still love ME2) the character writing has gotten extremely chicle... What the hell happened to Kotor/Jade empire bio ware that's what i want to know. Also this game being clearly developed for consoles has not helped it in the slightest Expand
  2. Mar 8, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a bitter disappointment. I will do my best to briefly explain its flaws without spoiling anything.

1. Very little care was paid to the story. There are many nagging plot holes that will distract you throughout the game. Glaring logical flaws that have existed since Mass Effect 2 and even Mass Effect 1. More importantly, characters behave very erratically in this game, seldom true to their original characterization in the previous games. BioWare took the easy way out in most cases, killing off characters at obvious moment. The plot is predictable (I found myself calling out what would happen hours before it did) and the characters and concepts new to Mass Effect 3 are either ridiculous (Kai Leng, the future space ninja) to just shallow (James Vega, token mexican-american space marine). The endings, suffice to say, will leave you in shock with how lazy they were crafted.

BioWare did impress me with how it handled some of its lesser side characters though, I did not expect so many of them to return as cameos and not simply emails saying, "Hi, remember me?"

2. None of your choices impact much in ME3. If you played the previous games, you'll find ME3 a little easier to play with some difficult decisions removed (such as choosing one character or another to live), but overall very little changes depending upon your choices in the previous two games. Almost nothing changes based on your choices in ME3, which is a bit surprising. Not even your paragon/renegade status really seems to influence anything.

This is really wrenching. Major decisions like letting the Rachni living in the first game or not, have no bearing on the game's events in any meaningful manner. But also, deciding who you ally or help or not in ME3 really has no effect on the game's ending... or really much of anything.

3. This game is ugly. BioWare really outsourced its artwork this time. Facial animations and modeling are inferior to ME2. Many big game reveals (a picture of Tali's face) are stock photo touchups (and by that, I mean literally importing a stock photo into photoshop and putting a lens flare over it). Level design is not as creative as in the original ME. There are occasionally some good in-game environments (such as a certain vegetated piece of Tuchanka) but they are few and far between. In order save memory consumption, BW even had to remove the ability to holster your weapon in combat areas. This broke immersion for me, with my character always hunched over looking down the barrel of their gun.

Whoever designed Diana Allers' "dress" should be shot.

4. The voice acting in this game is tolerable, though there are some spotty moments (Wrex stands out at times).

5. The dialogue wheel is horribly dumbed down in this game - I was shocked. Immensely. There is always a "top" or "bottom" choice to pick (two choices) and every once in a while you'll get an 'investigate' option with 3-5 choices there, but less than 10% of the time do you ever get a "middle" option to pursue in dialogue. You're either paragon or renegade in this game, you can't walk the line through any situation. You're either on their side, or you're not.

6. The gunplay is a little improved. Some of the new abilities are interesting. However, level design has not been improved from ME2/Me1, I'd say it's gotten worse actually. A lot of corridors, people constantly shouting at you to keep moving -- you can't even stop to look around and enjoy the scenery you like, or even plan an approach to your enemy. Corridors and guns are pretty much all you can expect in this game.

I did enjoy the aspect of building up an army to fight the reapers though, and for a moment (towards the beginning of the game), I felt a little desperate as to whether I would be able to reach maximum army strength. I thought that the more time I dawdled on side missions, the less chance I would have at beating the game. But I shouldn't have been so silly - of course not. Why challenge the player?

7. The multiplayer is trashy and I don't understand why they wasted development time on it -- besides marketing purposes anyway.

8. The different difficulty selections are nice, but narrative is immersion breaking and insanity is pretty much 'dumb' in some instances of the game, where enemies zerg you.

9. The AI is atrocious. Many encounters in the game are made easy when enemies funnel in through drop points or doorways - you can't just stun them all with a Biotic spell. AI tend to just get behind something and shoot from it.

10. Not a single boss fight was designed well. They feel really tacked on and lame.
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    Played for a a few hours, and simply couldn't get into it like I did with Mass Effect 1 or 2.
    1 had pretty fantastic writing, 2 was sub-par yet playable, but 3 just seemed to drag my nose down a linear pathway with an obvious, stupid storyline that could only appeal to slow people.
  4. Mar 17, 2012
    I Can't believe it.... i... i just can't.... I have stood for this game, through the hole launch periode, claiming that the ending would'nt matter to me if the game itself was great... But... but... The ending was seriously bad.. So bad that, It has destroyed the whole franchise for me.

But the game itself isn't bad, is just the ending..... IT'S HORRIBLE! There isnt really anything i can

But the game itself isn't bad, is just the ending..... IT'S HORRIBLE!

There isnt really anything i can say, that everybody allready has put out. I can only say that im a terribly sad Mass Effect fan and it will take time before i get over that piece of sh** ending(s). So 6 score points from me. It would have been 9 or even 10, but yeah.... wtf were you thinking Bioware ;.(
  5. Mar 6, 2012
    This really saddens me. I enjoyed the first Mass Effect greatly, it was one of the top games and one my personal GOTYs. But this is a travesty, it is nothing short of a joke, the punchline written by Hepler. SPOILER : The ending reveals it was all just a grandpa telling his grandson a story. How lazy do you have to be that you have to end a story with "It was all just a story."? I don'tThis really saddens me. I enjoyed the first Mass Effect greatly, it was one of the top games and one my personal GOTYs. But this is a travesty, it is nothing short of a joke, the punchline written by Hepler. SPOILER : The ending reveals it was all just a grandpa telling his grandson a story. How lazy do you have to be that you have to end a story with "It was all just a story."? I don't even understand how being hired through nepotism has helped Hepler maintain her position as a writer for bioware, this is the third game in a row that they have released with just horrid writing. You can disagree all you want, but why don't you go back and play Baldur's Gate and compare the writing of then to now. Admittely most of the reviews are probably trolls, the positive ones at least. Fans in denial that their perfect company could ever have a flaw, who likely haven't even played the game. The plot makes no sense, they go out of there way to make sure every past action of the player doesn't matter whatsoever, they sexualize characters for no reason and the ones they have no way of sexualizing they completely ignore.
    Picking a heterosexual option is a renegade choice, how? Overall I'm not disappointed, I was disappointed when they ruined Dragon Age. Now I'm just waiting for them to release their ultimate garbage ball which will either kill the company and put it out of it's mercy or get them to reconsider their writing staff a little more carefully.
  6. Mar 6, 2012
    I wanted an epic conclusion to the previous two games that brought the full weight of my choices to bear in a glorious ending involving the previously lampshaded themes of entropy. The ending I got instead simply didn't fit, it was a hybrid of the endings from Deus Ex and Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann, and somehow still failed to be compelling.

The only "positive" aspect of the game that

The only "positive" aspect of the game that they could think of to market being gay romance. As a heterosexual, I don't care about gay romance, and as a gamer I care very little about romance as a sub-plot in the first place.

Additionally, the visuals and gameplay are both substantially worsened from the previous two games.
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    Worst game in Mass Effect 1-3. Why I need to play multiplayer to successfully complete main single-player campaign? Why some characters and pieces of plot are cut from the game that I bought and are selling with additional price? How much we need to pay to get complete game, not piece-by-piece by additional money? Mass Effect is killed by greed.
  8. Mar 6, 2012
    I feel cheated. The game reeks of being rushed and incomplete. From the small, tightly bound maps to the unpolished haphazardly placed objects, it seems all the care and attention to detail that made the second game play like a movie (and some would say at the cost of playing like an RPG) have been thrown aside. There's no emotion or connection with the cast and every promise made byI feel cheated. The game reeks of being rushed and incomplete. From the small, tightly bound maps to the unpolished haphazardly placed objects, it seems all the care and attention to detail that made the second game play like a movie (and some would say at the cost of playing like an RPG) have been thrown aside. There's no emotion or connection with the cast and every promise made by bioware over the years of having your decisions *matter* has just been a complete and utter lie as the plot rides roughshod over your own shepard's story to force itself onto you with plotholes the size of the citadel.
    I cannot play another bioware game.
  9. Mar 6, 2012
    EA, those blasted slavedrivers, have successfully raped a once creative and forward-looking studio, and are hoping for people to feast on their miscarried offspring. What's not to hate? And holy flying **** did they buy out ALL the critics?
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    At time of writing a major feature of this game(the ability to carry over your character from a previous game) does not function. The vast majority will play this game to continue the story with THEIR character making it arguably the most important feature in the game. How this made it through QA or was never tested is beyond rational thought. This is tantamount to selling something youAt time of writing a major feature of this game(the ability to carry over your character from a previous game) does not function. The vast majority will play this game to continue the story with THEIR character making it arguably the most important feature in the game. How this made it through QA or was never tested is beyond rational thought. This is tantamount to selling something you cannot deliver. Expand
  11. Mar 6, 2012
    This is coming from someone who liked the first Mass Effect and thougth that the second one was pretty good too: Dont buy this game. It's dumbed down piece of over marketed trash.
    It's painfully obvious that most of the money spent on this game went for marketing and buying good reviews. That does not make this a good game, not by a long shot.
    The voice acting is mediocre at best and the
    The voice acting is mediocre at best and the dialog itself is horrible.
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    Finally a site that lets the people who didn't run Mass Effect ads for three months state their opinion.

The game is **** storywise. Oldest twists in the book. Hurr they were good all along. Hurr the little kid is super powerful.
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    This game is terrible and the story is Twilight fanfiction posing as space opera. Don't buy this game. This is not the same Bioware who made games like Baldur's Gate. This is an abomination
  14. Mar 7, 2012
    Well... I buy this game today.. ME2 was better... Give me my money back! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad!!!!!!!!!
  15. Mar 7, 2012
    I really had a lot of fun on Mass Effect. I loved Mass Effect 1, maybe even more on the sequel, but I was generally disappointed on this game. I expected the fun of the first 2 and the great writing, but the story was meh and the gameplay was not as good as the other two. This lived way below the hype of the other 2. Also, DLC on the first day? Really, Bioware? Either the DLC is part ofI really had a lot of fun on Mass Effect. I loved Mass Effect 1, maybe even more on the sequel, but I was generally disappointed on this game. I expected the fun of the first 2 and the great writing, but the story was meh and the gameplay was not as good as the other two. This lived way below the hype of the other 2. Also, DLC on the first day? Really, Bioware? Either the DLC is part of the game, or the DLC is released weeks after. Expand
  16. Mar 6, 2012
    Day one DLC, forced romances, boring gameplay, terrible graphics, pants on head retarded story, uninteresting characters and the list goes on.

So much did EA/Bioware pay the reviewers?
  17. Mar 6, 2012
    I bought this game thinking it was going to be Pokemon White. However when I opened this game it was in fact Mass Effect 3.

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS WEBSITE, THEY ARE SCAMMERS.
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    Horrible practices against the customers and incredilby reduced quality from the second iteration that I felt was one of the best RPGs I've played.
    It's sad to see this happen to a previously so excellent series of video games.
  19. Mar 6, 2012
    Lots of issues come to mind when playing through this. All your previous choices in games don't have the great effect they were hyped up to in previous installments, and boil down to a mere email or extra line of dialogue. The game-play continues to be a dumbed down action shooter experience, with mediocre mechanics at that, a mech and turret section simply do not belong in what was onceLots of issues come to mind when playing through this. All your previous choices in games don't have the great effect they were hyped up to in previous installments, and boil down to a mere email or extra line of dialogue. The game-play continues to be a dumbed down action shooter experience, with mediocre mechanics at that, a mech and turret section simply do not belong in what was once a great rpg with shooting elements. The customization still pales in comparison to ME1, and features continued to be removed. The textures fall flat on models, while some of the backdrops do make for good eye candy, the god awful animations will distract you too much from them.
    As for the story, which was supposed to be the great draw of mass effect, it is a poor excuse of a conclusion, with numerous retcons and plot holes, and endings ripped straight out of other series and the book of cliches. But hey, they might offer a better ending, if you're willing to pay another 15$ for dlc!
    Even more on the dlc practice is this day 1 dlc and other consumer milking practices. While minor cosmetic and item additions aren't that terrible, the having a prothean squadmate for a dlc pack on day 1 is inexcusable. It was content cut specifically to be sold as DLC, while ea/bioware may say it was created after the main game was completed, that is a flat out marketing lie, as the lines for this character and other assets was seen in many of the previous leaks while still in development.

All in all is shows the continue decline of bioware as they continue to destroy their own franchises.
  20. Mar 6, 2012
    personally I have no problem with gays, my problem with this game mainly is writing, its a bad story, with bad dialogue, and overall bad gameplay and graphics
  21. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect is the dying spasm of Bioware. A company once known for greatness, now more known for fascination with Twilight, reducing choices for gamers and creating games that look more like clones of Call of Duty and dating sims than RPG's we used to love. Make no mistake. Mass Effect 1 and DAO were great games. But the loss of authors and imagination is painfully evident in thisMass Effect is the dying spasm of Bioware. A company once known for greatness, now more known for fascination with Twilight, reducing choices for gamers and creating games that look more like clones of Call of Duty and dating sims than RPG's we used to love. Make no mistake. Mass Effect 1 and DAO were great games. But the loss of authors and imagination is painfully evident in this production. We have a deus ex machina plot, shallow characters, terrible ignorance of universe lore established in previous production. In exchange we have dialogues like from some cheap remake of Jersey Shore(Vega I am looking at you), hallow romances that make normal cringe at the dialogue and nothing resembling the mystery atmosphere of cold but fascinating cosmos we knew from previous games....
    Don't buy it. Huge disappointment.
  22. Mar 9, 2012
    I was disappointed with the treatment this once great game received. First of all, I'm not a homophob but including gay relationships in a game is unnecessary. Stop trying to appeal to everyone, this is not COD this is not WOW, but I guess now it's becoming just like them. Corporate greed is the main force that ruins great titles today, it can literally turn a creative idea into completeI was disappointed with the treatment this once great game received. First of all, I'm not a homophob but including gay relationships in a game is unnecessary. Stop trying to appeal to everyone, this is not COD this is not WOW, but I guess now it's becoming just like them. Corporate greed is the main force that ruins great titles today, it can literally turn a creative idea into complete watered down mass appeal piece of **** Plus making your customers get out of their way to use Origin just to "prevent piracy" is just a fatal mistake. This excuse for a game is not even worth pirating. Every great business model is based on great customer service and customer satisfaction, which EA completely lacks. Maybe you should look at the way Valve does their business and then figure out why they are becoming more loved by the fans every coming year. Expand
  23. Mar 9, 2012
    Registered to write this review and rate, but will continue with more titles eventually, so dont remove this, ffs.

i did not like this at all, too hyped, origin was forced upon me (yes i knew this already but still it has to be mentioned how horrible it is, i hate ea) also tons of dlc and preorder bonuses that should all have been included in the base game for everyone, not to mention all the day 1 dlc. Horrible is all i can say.

oh and yeah, the gay thing. Really? Disgusting.
  24. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm speechless. Why ? I did something stupid, played the first game imported my character in to the second game,imported to ME3.
    Why the rant? When did the gaming industry decided that a person able to enjoy a adult movie is unable to comprehend Schindler's List?
    It didn't start well , the intro mission is railroaded, Shepard is a lost minion , irritating for every player that shaped his character thru countless hours of the two previous games, pondering the outcomes of hers/his decisions. I seriously have no idea why I did what I did in the previous games.
    It's a clone of so many movie/game decisions where the Hero does the ultimate spoiler thing, and everyone is aware that the morally grey , isn't really grey it's just trying to create the illusion by pressing on the tear duct by removing the few things a RPG player cares about-the characters and interactions with them , one by one .

The game has one of the worst endings in history, all of them and the idea that the player is not worthy to get some closure is strange, feel's like subconsciousness marketing for DLC.
    The characters from the previous game suffer at times cringe worthy writing , and lack of screen time.
    Simply there isn't enough time for anything, and the dialogues took a major hit, feels completely rushed. New players probably will not care, the game doesn't even introduce them in a proper manner, they can run and gun without consequences and even enjoy the game.
    MP is very well done,interesting and addictive , so nothing to criticize except the Origin client.
    Rated DA2 with a 1 rating this game with a 6 to reflect the technical superiority, but only the technical , the disappointment is identical like DAO vs DA2 despite never seeing the ME games as RPG's , and wondering why the "Jack of all trades, master of none" figure somehow became the most defining aspect of Bioware's recent titles.
  25. Mar 6, 2012
    Play the demo if you don't believe my rating. And then laugh in amazement at the $70 price tag and say WTF Bioware.

This game is garbage, and bioware is continuing the trend of bad PC games.
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    The real question when reviewing this game is where to possibly start when describing everything that went wrong. The most controversial of these was the DLC. Bioware has adopted a business model where profits are generated by withholding content and then selling it later for more money, claiming it was created at a later date. You can blame EA for this only to a certain extent. In the endThe real question when reviewing this game is where to possibly start when describing everything that went wrong. The most controversial of these was the DLC. Bioware has adopted a business model where profits are generated by withholding content and then selling it later for more money, claiming it was created at a later date. You can blame EA for this only to a certain extent. In the end it was Bioware's choice to accept the contract several years ago and pursue this practice. Their behavior towards criticism has not done their image any favors either. Attempts by their fans to describe flaws in their games often result in bans and accusations of trolling. However, as for Mass Effect 3 itself, the problems with this game extend far beyond a greedy DLC-based approach to content. The writing is atrocious, riddled with cliches and plot holes that raise about 10 more questions for every 1 that is answered. The endings are awful not just for their inability to deliver satisfying conclusions to plot threads, but in their blatant similarity to other science fiction games like Deus Ex. The difference here is that it's not handled nearly as well and in many cases insults previously established lore in Mass Effect 1. Example, Sovereign says "My kind transcends your very understanding(...)You cannot even grasp the nature of our existence." Without spoiling too much, it turns out the "nature of our existence" means a reason that makes absolutely no sense and defies all logic and reason. Instead of creating an origin that felt truly "alien" Bioware instead went with the most predictable and disappointing explanation. The gameplay in Mass Effect 3 feels like every last line of code was checked to see if a "modern audience" will find it appealing. Originality was no factor at all in the way this combat was designed. Shooting mechanics are insultingly simple, and levels play out like corridor shooters. It's a far-cry from the vast open landscapes that were in Mass Effect 1 where the mako could be used to scale mountaintops. The RPG elements are improved just enough from Mass Effect 2 to attempt to reclaim the bare-minimum amount of fans who felt disappointed with their absence the second time around. Animations are so bad they're actually funny to witness. Shepard runs like he/she is wearing a used adult diaper. There are only a small amount of weapons, and any beyond 2 or 3 per type will cost extra money as DLC. It's disgusting. Bioware is dead. If Dragon Age 2 didn't at least raise suspicions that the company had moved towards a "Marketing first, Creativity second" approach to their products, then Mass Effect 3 will cement that. Such potential on a truly enjoyable first installment is completely squandered on appealing to the lowest-common denominator. If you buy this game, or support this company, than you have nobody to blame but yourself. Expand
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    Is this truly the state of the video game industry at present? It used to be consumer desire that shaped what was released, now we have day 1 DLC and companies like Bioware that go to great extremes to censor anything that even closely resembles criticism. Are you going to bend over and let this happen?
  28. Mar 6, 2012
    Abysmal. It's like a relapse of Dragon Age 2. Bioware simply can't make a successful sequel. An vast budget and the majority of it was spent on marketing rather than attempting to make a quality game. It's sad how EA and Bioware have compromised quality for the sake of profit.
  29. Mar 6, 2012
    DLC,DlC,DLC, what a complete failure, Bioware, I was incredibly dissapointed of this game, and dissapointed of you, what a tragedy, I hope everyone over there is ashamed of themselves, making us pay on the first day... What a load of bull, I hate everyone over there, Sincerely, Vee Bass
  30. Mar 6, 2012
    This game does not live up to the story of the first, or even the second game. Game play was bland and tasteless after the third time huddling on a corner protecting someone as they something "important" in the quest. Animation is sub-par and DLC from the old saves don't count for squat. The romancing in this game is even worse with such writing leading the charge into "ACCEPTING GROUPSThis game does not live up to the story of the first, or even the second game. Game play was bland and tasteless after the third time huddling on a corner protecting someone as they something "important" in the quest. Animation is sub-par and DLC from the old saves don't count for squat. The romancing in this game is even worse with such writing leading the charge into "ACCEPTING GROUPS DIFFERENT THAN THE NORM." The RPG aspect of previous games changed into an action and stats became useless once you found upgrades for your guns. Day 1 DLC which changed the ending. Expand

1. Apr 11, 2012