5.3

1. Mar 29, 2015
    Behold Mass Effect 3, a victim of greed, the "good enough" approach, and America's corporate devil assuming direct control (ba-dum tssh) of an innocent Canadian developer. Mass Effect 3 had the potential of being a masterpiece, and even showed signs of it- BioWare improved the combat system, adding new guns, keeping the epic old ones (Mattock FTW!!!), and adding heavy melee, combat rolls,Behold Mass Effect 3, a victim of greed, the "good enough" approach, and America's corporate devil assuming direct control (ba-dum tssh) of an innocent Canadian developer. Mass Effect 3 had the potential of being a masterpiece, and even showed signs of it- BioWare improved the combat system, adding new guns, keeping the epic old ones (Mattock FTW!!!), and adding heavy melee, combat rolls, and instakills from cover. The graphics are truly stunning, the new enemies are challenging and sometimes can scare your socks off, and BioWare brought back the awesome characters from previous games- Garrus, Grunt, or anyone you didn't kill. But what mainly brought the game down was the all-too famous ending (or endings). Even with the Extended Cut DLC (which is a cheap way to squeeze even more $$$$$ out of you, it only adds a few lines to the "ending"), it's basically like a magician saying, "Pick a card! Any card!" It's basically just choosing between A, B, and C (and D with EC). The worst part: It's littered with plot holes. For the sake of those who haven't played it yet, I won't say too much about the ending, but I can assure you, it's one of the worst endings in video game history. What also brought the game down was the INSANE amount of DLCs. There's literally like 14 DLCs! It's crazy! Why on Earth must someone pay more for a game that's already theirs?! Also, characters like Jack, Miranda, Kelly, and Jacob were like completely left to hang and dry. In the end, Mass Effect may be addicting for its sweet gameplay, and interesting characters, but the rest of the game just sends you away empty.

So yeah. EA Mass ef*cked Mass Effect 3. Or at least they came very close to doing so.
  2. Mar 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is incredible the gameplay is good, a fluid combat system. I loved the missions the game is unfortunately hated I think it deserves good reviews.The three problems I have with the game is the ending and the way the devolpors reacted to it the fact that the ending had to be dlc is terrible.the other thing I dislike is the betrayel of fans with the javik dlc,the fans wanted this important piece of lore the protheon.
    He is a poor character with a disrespect for all character.overall a great game it deserves more positive attention
  3. Mar 26, 2015
    People heavily criticize this game for its ending, but I found it to be fairly consistent with the rest of this sequel's content - contradictory, confused, cliche, and just horribly written.

It's painfully obvious that Bioware lost some valuable people in all departments after ME2, and that while Mac Walters did a decent job as a character writer in the past, a lead writing position is beyond his current abilities. I mean, Mass Effect never had Pulitzer-winning content but when all the fun and well-established character is sucked out of a series by genuinely BAD dialogue and truly ridiculous story elements, it's a damn shame.

Positives? Great combat, some epic setpieces (squandered unfortunately), and a sense of closure. The guns feel and sound better than ever. Quickly dodging from cover to cover, or launching quickly over barriers with a double-tap of the spacebar is great. The quality and variety of new enemies is very good. The multiplayer is ACTUALLY FUN - though not too varied.

The maps are good, though rarely memorable.

Most cutscenes are impressive.

The new character of Javik is great. The fact that you only get him with the From Ashes DLC is RIDICULOUS. Should be included with the base game as he adds a significant amount of context and depth to the story.

Negatives? Terrible new characters: James Vega - bodybuilding Jersey Shore dudebro, Diana Allers - pointless embedded journalist in a little rubber dress, Kai Leng - evil space ninja (not kidding). WTF Bioware. Maybe these characters are supposed to somehow be canon, but were just introduced and utilized poorly - my point that they are terrible in this game still stands.

The faces of many of the characters have been changed from ME2, and simply look bad. Joker comes to mind right away. What the hell is going on with his mouth? This is an inexplicable step back from the models and animations in ME2.

Model glitching and bad camera during dialogue. (You'd think they'd have figured this out by now.)

Painfully bad and cliche dialogue with terrible pacing. Mac Walters loves cheesey Hollywood military action movies, apparently. He's about as good at re-creating their content as a 14-year-old boy though. Doesn't stop him from trying. Moral choices seem tacked-on and weird, but that's probably just the writing.

Disappointingly dumbed-down inventory and leveling for the sake of console kiddies. Not much RPG left, but that could be said for ME2 as well, I guess.

More overpriced DLC horsecrap. We hate you for good reason, EA. You should figure out a way to monetize that.

ME1 is one of my favourite games of all time - even with its blemishes. It's a damn shame this series had to end (Yes, I know about ME4 - but after this, I'm done with this series) with a wet noodle of a game that is a mere shadow of what it should and could have been.
  4. Mar 25, 2015
    The key to happiness is low expectations, so I'm very happy with Mass Effect 3, but not for the reason you think. What I mean is, that after all of these terrible reviews, 0s and 1s, I expected this game to be horrible and what I discovered was a wonderful experience instead. I used the (Better Mass Effect 2) mod to fix the previous game's antialiasing issues, but what I really liked aboutThe key to happiness is low expectations, so I'm very happy with Mass Effect 3, but not for the reason you think. What I mean is, that after all of these terrible reviews, 0s and 1s, I expected this game to be horrible and what I discovered was a wonderful experience instead. I used the (Better Mass Effect 2) mod to fix the previous game's antialiasing issues, but what I really liked about that mod was its description of casual mode. "This mode is intended for those who are more interested in story than gameplay." I'm very good at online shooters, but that's not why I fell in love with this series. I missed out on Mass Effect for years, and just started the first one in 2015, and I was unable to stop playing until I beat ME3 in about a week and a half. Yes I flew through the story, but I relished every second of it, and now I can go back to play any 1 of the 3 titles on harder difficulties to enjoy them to their max. This game is supposedly the last one in the series and I'm okay with that because it satiated my need for a conclusion to this epic story. However, I'm not one of those people who expect video games or movies to make everything in my life perfect, so the ending dilemma didn't bother me one bit. I liked it. I liked that I can earn better endings by playing ME3 longer and increasing my readiness, and I like the fact that I can look up the other endings online beforehand. If you really take a good look at fantastic video games, and really most movies, their endings are not that great; it's the expectations you have of them that determines your experience, and because of that, I love Mass Effect 3 to death. Not only did this game look better than ME1 and 2, it also brought back all of the ideas and voice acting I loved from the previous games and helped me wrap up the journey in an epic way. Bioware or EA didn't try to screw over their customers; what they did was try to offer an impressive movie level production that lived up to gamers' expectations. It worked for me, but obviously not for others, which I really don't understand. Well, I do understand it, because some people just expect too much out of their games, but it's sad. It's sad because this game is excellent, 10/10, and it doesn't deserve all of the hate. Oh and by the way, the female voice actor for Shepard is mind-blowingly awesome. I didn't really notice many changes between game 1, 2 and 3 because she was still making it epic for me :3 The same goes for the rest of the cast. Expand
  5. Mar 25, 2015
    I loved this franchise, but they really crashed and burned this game, no longer do you feel like you're going on an adventure exploring a galaxy, no longer you get the feeling of your choices making an impact in your game
    Most redeeming feature is the Multiplayer, that's still pretty fun
  6. Feb 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing, better than mass effect 2 in my opinion. Generally loved the ending which was mature and bleak (ie realistic). Genuinely bioware has greater a galaxy in which you actually enjoying spending your time and where you care about the characters and their futures, which is a triumph in my opinion. There is certainly good replayability here to recruit the different races etc. honestly cannot fault this game. The ending was bound to be controversial but with the free extended cut dlc I honestly believe it was awesome start to finish. Expand
  7. Feb 25, 2015
    I had to post a review on this because of how many people rated a zero. the game was great, yeah its hard to follow up ME1 and ME2, but thats why the series is great. I dont need to detail the game, the franchise speaks for itself. sorry to the haters that it didn't meet your expectations, sounds like a user error.
  8. Feb 25, 2015
    It is worth 6 or 7, but since I loved ME1, and since ME2 is in my top 5 best games ever, I give it an 8. I guess that the devs'contract mentionned a "multiplayer experience", that forced them to give up too much of the RPG aspect...
  9. Feb 18, 2015
    Considering more new updates on the ME4 lately, I thought that it may be useful to do renewed review of ME3 for anyone who is still uncertain about it.
    I will not review the game as out of box Vanila which came out in 2012, but rather as combined experience of main game, its DLCs and vast variety of fan created mods which in my experience in large enhance the play.
    First, to address the
    First, to address the area of ending. I do too agree that even after you install the “extended” cut option, the final choice is just somewhat less vague but as equally depressing. In my experience, the most optimistic ending I achieved was the one in which a glimpse of what resemble Sheppard’s body comes to life. Although satisfying in the sense that Cmdr. Sheppard could still be alive, it simply does not merge with the previous events which led Sheppard to the final scene.
    For me even worse than the ending, was the increasingly negative mood throughout the entire game. Even the few happy moments which existed, simply felt out of place. This is not understanding for me, considering Shepard’s character is successfully completing series of events, which in turn increasingly enabling huge alliance of interstellar nations to fight the invaders. That realistically would lead to more optimistic mood with characters and story, regardless of the final outcome.
    Few words about mods, which at this time are widely available and very successful in improving the visuals in the game. As it is known, the vanilla version of the ME3 was very disappointing, featuring low resolution textures, and rather bad environmental appearance. Even the Sheppard appearance never matched your character appearance form M1 and 2. With series of texture updates, and with help of FX lighting mods, the game really gets vibrant. I would say the mods are must to ensure the full immersion.
    In terms of game and story contents, I think it exceed the experience from ME2, even without the DLC. If DLCs are installed, some additional time gain is achieved, but not necessary better experience. At least in case of Omega which is simply just a shooting spree. Lavithian is somewhat special, in respect that it does offer more story, but it is very short. In case of Citadel, Bioware went step up and actually developed descent side task with much needed fun aspects of the game. In fact, had I have a chance to play Citadel when I first played ME3, I would stop the game right there and not even venture into the final cut.
    Overall, once properly moded, and with addition of DLCs, I found the game likable, regardless of the weak story and final outcome. It is a story shooter, but it can still be immersive, and it is not all running through objectives. There are definitely aspects of RPG in the game, they are just not as prominent. I have logged over 120hrs with just one play-through, including main game and all DLCs, which is more than I expected.
  10. Feb 16, 2015
    Mass Effect 3 is a disappointing ending to the series.
    Mostly combat based, lacking in good story telling and less dialogue options then in previous titles.
    Mass Effect 3 is a disappointing ending to the series.
    From the start you feel that something is wrong. The change of lead writter for the third game was a mistake. NPC characters are still good but there is not that much interaction then in ME and ME2. The day one DLC NPC was a big mistake also. The DLC character Javik being the last of the Protheans is vital to the story but you make him a DLC. You see the money hand of EA in this game.
    The ending is so disappointing even the extended cut didn't make it better.
    Game is solid mechaniclly and combat is fluid but the story and more combat focused character of the game and lackluster ending make a weak game.
    For me 5 out of 10. EA why...
  11. Feb 14, 2015
    This is why the user reviews section shouldn't even exist. There is no universe that this game is a raw zero. If you're just being angsty and trying to get back at the devs, you're not being fair or unbiased. You're just being an idiot and ruining the rating system.
  12. Jan 30, 2015
    This should have been(and nearly is) the greatest story/character driven RPG of all time, but Bioware made a MAJOR mistake with the final title. This game is absolutely incredible until you hit the last 10 minutes. Honestly maybe even the last 5 minutes, because the story was ramped up and paced so perfectly that the lead up RIGHT UNTIL the ending is once in a generation exceptional. ThenThis should have been(and nearly is) the greatest story/character driven RPG of all time, but Bioware made a MAJOR mistake with the final title. This game is absolutely incredible until you hit the last 10 minutes. Honestly maybe even the last 5 minutes, because the story was ramped up and paced so perfectly that the lead up RIGHT UNTIL the ending is once in a generation exceptional. Then you get to the ending and I don't know if they ran out of money or what, but it completely falls flat and ignores all of the style of the series. It changes from a game about choices building up and coming together to create an epic finale (across 6ish years for people that played the games when they came out) into a 3 pronged choice that ignores every choice made in any of the 3 games and, in a game HEAVILY influenced by film(to the point of having a grain filter naturally active to appear more like a movie) has a final few moments that feel more at home in an ending to a fighting game characters story or even something like a shmup. I'm torn on what to give this game. Its clearly a 10/10 until the ending, but this game is ABOUT the story, A weak ending in TES or Fallout isn't that big a deal because they are different style games. This game is about story and characters and the main concept of the game is basically thrown out the window in the final moment. All I can end up deciding is that the ending SEVERELY impacted my feelings about the entire franchise, and the score needs to reflect that. Expand
  13. Jan 17, 2015
    A huge disappointment compared to Mass Effect 1. Just as bad as Mass Effect 2. No RPG elements, **** upgrading, awful main story, **** dialogue and characters...
  14. Jan 15, 2015
    Preface: I played the original game without any DLC. For the most part, the game feels like Mass Effect 2. Combat is basically the same and RPG elements are still reduced to minimal. It really does play more like a shooter or adventure game than an RPG. Loot is still minimal and customization is basically non-existent aside from choosing from a very limited number of weapons and armor,Preface: I played the original game without any DLC. For the most part, the game feels like Mass Effect 2. Combat is basically the same and RPG elements are still reduced to minimal. It really does play more like a shooter or adventure game than an RPG. Loot is still minimal and customization is basically non-existent aside from choosing from a very limited number of weapons and armor, many of which were very similar to each other. There is never a feeling of progression that is associated with RPG's but for what its worth, combat was actually fun in the same way that shooters are fun.

Many things annoyed me in this game aside from not going back to its ME1 RPG roots. The biggest is the planet exploration... if we can even call it that. Orbit a planet, click a button and thats is all there is to it. Very silly and reminded me of playing ET on the Atari. The only challenge to it is to escape from the flying Reapers which was entirely trivial and mind numbingly boring.

I liked how they tried to make every mission have an impact on the ending of the game. The more you complete the better your odds of getting a better ending. Unfortunately they completely dropped the ball on the impact of the score on the story as all the endings were pretty much the same regardless of score. I also hated the fact that you cannot get the best ending without playing multiplayer. I do not want to play with others in a 1 player game. Yet I could not get my readiness high enough to get the best ending. Besides, by the time I reached the end, I was so bored of the game I just wanted to end it not play more with people I never met.

Next, I thought the ending was rushed. As it turns out, much of what you do in the game was not necessary because the endings would be about the same if you rushed through the game anyway. You are always presented with the same options and there is very little difference between the high readiness endings and the minimal endings. It felt like I wasted my time running around finishing missions especially since there was minimal RPG progression. I dont think the endings are terrible, but they were definitely not as exciting as I would have expected them to be given it was a trilogy.

Last, there is only 1 real boss battle in the entire game and it was too easy. Most of the other battle finales were not really bosses but rather assignments like painting a target or surviving a few minutes. There were no imposing battles at any point in the game and I never felt like I was in danger. There were a few battles that were cheap since you did not know where the enemies were coming from but after you saw it once it became trivial. Which brings me to annoyance, there is no mini map. If you want to see the map you have to bring it up manually and it still did not show enemy position thus taking away any form of strategy you might want to employ. its kind of ironic that there was no mini map but you could always see your mission objective target painted clearly without the map.

I ran into two game breaking bugs that could have ended my games early (and neither were ever fixed). One was on the deck of the ship. Shepard simply gets stuck near Joker and cannot move no matter what you do. This bug can happen any time in the game. It is a well known bug and has not been fixed. The only way to work around it is through loading a previous save and making sure to save before entering the area. If you quick-saved while stuck hoping a reload would fix the issue, then you can really mess up your game because you will load into the game stuck. The only other solution is to get a 3rd party save game editor where you have to manually edit your save and change your save position.

The other game breaking crash happened while on a mission. At some point, as you progressed, you walk through a door and the game simply crashes every time. This is also a common bug and has not been fixed. Luckily there was a work around. You have to inch through the door and continuously quick save until the game crashes. If you quick saved inside the room, you will be able to load the new save inside the room and the crash will stop. Still, its unbelievable that this has not been fixed.

Overall, the game was not great. It lacked any innovation compared to parts 1 and 2 and felt rushed when you account for the game breaking bugs, lazy endings, lack of exciting fights/bosses, and weak story tie ins. Essentially, all your decisions ultimately did not matter very much from previous games, and much of what you do in ME3 is pointless since the ending are all very similar. Its not a horrible game but it was definitely boring after the 1st hour due to lack of RPG progression and lack of gameplay-story impact. I do not recommend this game if you are looking for an RPG. If you are a heavy FPS fan I would give this a 6/10 instead of a 4/10.
  15. Jan 7, 2015
    Mass Effect 3 was a difficult game to score. In fact it's been one of the most difficult games for me to review.

You can tell right off the bat that something is off with ME3. Something is seriously wrong. And you know what is wrong with it? It was released way too early. And it shows. When the game begins, you are forced into auto-dialogue. The pacing is terrible. All of a

It was released way too early.

And it shows. When the game begins, you are forced into auto-dialogue. The pacing is terrible. All of a sudden, Reapers are attacking and everyone is shocked. Really? The intro is just...bad.

I remember the release for ME3, it was painful. Yes, this is the game with the near legendary infamous Day 1 DLC. The game release is an obvious console port. The textures are awful; the game looked worse than ME2. That's a big red flag right there. When a sequel's graphics are worse than the preceding title, something is up.

Some people say that "it's the journey, not the destination", that matters, and I agree with that to a certain extend. The journey itself is not bad in ME3. It follows a similar formula to ME2. ME2's hybrid FPS shooter gameplay is enjoyable in ME3. It's been improved and built upon in ME3. I like that.

It just...the storytelling. The storytelling and choices, the choices and their results are lacking. Choices that have been made in previous games for some reason do not matter. If someone is killed off, they are convieniently replaced with someone else that has a similar sillset. Some characters are once again completely taken out and you can't get them back in your party. If you made some romance options in ME2 - you might find a half assed romance plot instead. These characters and their stories are just thrown to wind.
    There are scenes incorporated into ME3, but they feel like add ons and not the full experience. Once again, rushed content and development. These feelings of relationships of both friendship and romance being "tacked on" is felt throughout the ENTIRE GAME. And it sucks. Bioware has gone to far to kill some characters off screen. That is a cardinal sin in a Bioware game.

For example - I romanced Miranda in ME2. Guess what? In ME3, shes not there. She just - disappears. Literally. There is really not fitting conclusion to your relationship - unless of course, you cough up the money for the Citadel DLC. And for some reason, she is....completely out of character. Doing things and acting in ways that you would have never seen in ME2.

Now, multiply this times 10.

Painful.

And unfortunately, the ending is completely and totally botched. Sorry to say it. The ending is awful. Not only is it dark and depressing, but it's relatively obscure in the fact that your choices did not really seem to matter. I understand that it tried to be a self contained game, but that just isn't going to fly for ME3. In the age of DLC's and online downloaded content, Bioware could have taken the risk of making ME3 completely dependant on ME2's save.

The ending is so bad, gamers had to come out and demand that Bioware offer a better ending. Yep. You read it right. Bioware actually - was forced - to change the ending. Get it? Gamers had to tell Bioware - let them know - that the ending was botched. How utterly embarrassing for Bioware. This resulted in another embarrassment for the industry, with an editor from IGN coming out defense of Bioware in a stupid, arrogant video, something about "Gamer entitlement." Yes, you gamers are not entitled to a good ending. Bioware can do anything they want, and you better shut the hell up and enjoy it, damnit!

In ME3, in order to gain resources you must play with other players online. This is a bad decision. Bad, bad bad for a single player game. This was clearly a result of EA meddling in development. The requirement to play online with other players is asinine. Though its not completely mandatory, if you want the "good" ending, you pretty much need to do it unless you want to...uhh.."manually edit" your game. Cough...

Overall, ME3 is not a terrible game. But it is not a satisfying conclusion. In fact, the ending itself is kind of laughable. The whole ending sequence, even with the DLC is just too ambiguous and poorly done.

It's a real shame. I wanted to like ME3 but its a poor and disappointing conclusion to the series.
  16. Jan 1, 2015
    This is the addition to the Mass Effect series that successfully implement all RPG elements at an enjoyable level. It has a great immersing main plot, both capturing the previous games and improving on it.
    It delivers a thrilling main story which makes you interact with the universe as a whole, awesome dialogue between the characters. Reintroduces the most meaningful characters from previous games also giving meaningful sidestories.
    Combat is further improved since ME3 and has that satisfying fluidity you want when playing a shooter. It reduced the amount of followers to a reasonable amount but retains the diversity of playstyles from the second game.
    It is the most balanced of all three games and the one I enjoyed playing most.
  17. Dec 17, 2014
    "Epic Defined"
    ---------------
    Mass Effect 3 is a superb game that wraps up most of the story arcs of each races across the Mass Effect universe, the storyline here is certainly better than Mass Effect 2 but it gets overwhelmed by 2's amazing characters and endgame. Shut up and listen, the great things this game does overall easily overshadows the flaws it has. ---------------
    "Epic Defined"
    Mass Effect 3 is a superb game that wraps up most of the story arcs
    of each races across the Mass Effect universe, the storyline here is
    certainly better than Mass Effect 2 but it gets overwhelmed by 2's
    amazing characters and endgame. Shut up and listen, the great things
    this game does overall easily overshadows the flaws it has.
    ---------------
    PROS:
    + Superb Storyline That Defines "Epic"
    + Difficult Choices That Decides Galaxy's Fate
    + Commendable Level Design
    + Meaningful Side Quests
    + No More Repetitive Resource Mining
    + Reputation System Is More Engaging
    + Strong Writing & Character Interactions
    + Impressive Visuals
    + Many Promotional Contents
    + Far Less Loading Times & Load Screens
    ----------------
    CONS:
    - Walks Away From Most RPG Mechanics
    - Poor Sidequest Management
    - "Day One" DLC Is Surprisingly Good
    - Lacking Squad Roster (EPIC FAIL)
    - Awful Character Creation
    - Multiplayer Feels Flat But Fun
    - Teammate AI Lacks Common Sense
    Extended Cut - 8/10
    Omega - 6/10
    Leviathan - 9/10
    Citadel - 9/10
    ================================== GAMESCORE: 9.8 - "TRIUMPH" ==================================
  18. Dec 10, 2014
    Fantastic game. Just finished the game recently for a second time however with the addition of all dlc's and it was great. Loved it. This one is my favorite of the trilogy. Characters are fantastic, the entire ME universe is unbelievable. Technical part of the game has been improved significantly, everything is smooth and fast, loading times are fast. There is a huge variety of weapons andFantastic game. Just finished the game recently for a second time however with the addition of all dlc's and it was great. Loved it. This one is my favorite of the trilogy. Characters are fantastic, the entire ME universe is unbelievable. Technical part of the game has been improved significantly, everything is smooth and fast, loading times are fast. There is a huge variety of weapons and armor. Dialogs with and between characters are fantastic and the writing is awesome. Missions are great and diverse. It was a really fun pleasure playing this game, well, until the ending. The whole dialog tree with the catalyst/harbinger/child/thing was absolutely ridiculous and made no sense whatsoever. machines and organics have to always fight why exactly?, well, because of some twisted logic that the writers decided because they were to lazy or incompetent to come up with something better Unbelievable. Expand
  19. Dec 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a tough one. I really enjoyed the first 2 Mass Effect games, and most of it is really great: I like the normal missions, who are like ME 1 and 2, and I even enjoy the multiplayer part alot.

BUT the ending is horrible! Not just gameplay-wise, which suxx so hard. You need to watch a movie while it plays out, because it's like 40 minuttes of cutscenes you can't skip, and choices without any real effect. And then there are the ending itself: Possibly the worst ideas I have seen in a game. My guess is the developing team was out sick or maybe they just hate everyone playing their games, but it's a serious torture to get through that hour or so it takes to get to the ending. I hope they all got fired, and that people spit on them whenever they meet them...

So, if you're considering buying the game, my advice is this: Stop when you get to the last missions (back on earth), and write some solution yourself. It can only be better, even if it means the Reapers win!!
  20. Dec 8, 2014
    A disappointing end of the series. It tried to be a self-contained game, but that just renders most of the plot of previous games irrelevant; you stop the Reapers time and time again, and they come anyway. Very few decisions in previous games matter - killed a character earlier? A very similar substitute fills the exact same role.

The story has its ups and downs, but doesn't make much

The story has its ups and downs, but doesn't make much sense overall. And that's without getting into the ending - out of place, illogical, just plain dumb. The extended ending does give some nice fluff and closure, but doesn't fix the core issues.

The gameplay is mostly the same as in ME 2, but with some decent improvements. There are more abilities and choices when levelling characters. Weapon modifications are nice, but limited in their variety. Having more movement options is nice, but the "one button does all" system is annoying as **** You want to roll? Or run, or press a button, or vault over cover, stick to cover, leave the cover? Too bad you're dead as you shuffle around desperately, fighting the contextual controls instead of the enemy.
  21. Dec 3, 2014
    An absolutely outstanding game, until the endgame phase. After three games of loving every second the sadness of it all coming to an end was bested only by the most anticlimactic ending imaginable. At the end of the game you will find yourself feeling that none of the choices you made had any impact on the final outcome. And at the end of it all playing the previous games means veryAn absolutely outstanding game, until the endgame phase. After three games of loving every second the sadness of it all coming to an end was bested only by the most anticlimactic ending imaginable. At the end of the game you will find yourself feeling that none of the choices you made had any impact on the final outcome. And at the end of it all playing the previous games means very little beyond some minor changes to the cinematic sequences. What a disappointing end to an outstanding series of games. Expand
  22. Nov 30, 2014
    This is an update to my previous review, in which I gave this game a 5. That review was written in the week after release when the infamous ending controversy was just getting underway with more and more people finishing the game.

Since then, Bioware has released a large, free patch called the Extended Cut DLC. This was controversial as well, with popular gaming entities like TotalBiscuit still lampooning the game for the endings, but ultimately I feel this extended cut did what it needed to in order to rescue the game.

To summarize the new endings rather pithily, while the overall endings haven't necessarily changed, both the final dialogue with a certain spoiler-y character and the actual endings themselves have been *greatly* expanded. Nearly every single issue I found fault with story-wise has been addressed in terms of loose plot threads. Better yet, you now get to see what happens to your companions post-ending, and the context of one or two of the endings has been *significantly* altered.

Other DLC since then has also substantially improved my opinion on this game. This game is *by far* the best sci-fi RPG that we've had in a decade, maybe even several decades. It is absolutely beautiful, flows wonderfully, and features a multiplayer mode that initially everyone was apprehensive about but ended up being a wonderfully smooth, engaging experience.

I'm re-writing this review again because in all my years of gaming, I think Mass Effect 3 is the one game I have not been able to replay after those first few months simply because I couldn't find enough time to set aside for the post-ME3 depression that inevitably sinks in. No other game has been able to hit me on such an emotional level, and I would argue games like ME3 and Bioshock Infinite (the latter less so perhaps) should be held up as prime examples of gaming as an extremely powerful storytelling medium. Those are the only two games I've ever played for which I need to remove the emotional songs when listening to the sound tracks because I don't need those feels out of the blue during the day. Honestly, were some in-game qualms fixed I would say that such an emotional effect would merit a 10/10. As it stands, what with the ending somewhat-retcon and the fact that Javik is a DLC character, I can only max it out at 9/10 (as much as I hate gaming scores)
  23. Nov 24, 2014
    Where my interest int the first two of the series weren't strong, ME3 seemed to have that draw, that feel of combat and consequential decision making that I love so much. Any game that promotes choice and consequence is a winner in my books, and ME3 does that very well on many occasions. Whilst i've never been a fan of the combat systems in ME3, It does bode better then the first two. IfWhere my interest int the first two of the series weren't strong, ME3 seemed to have that draw, that feel of combat and consequential decision making that I love so much. Any game that promotes choice and consequence is a winner in my books, and ME3 does that very well on many occasions. Whilst i've never been a fan of the combat systems in ME3, It does bode better then the first two. If you were only going to pick up one game in the series, this is the one. Luckily, you do not need an extensive history lesson on ME lore to understand what is going on. Expand
  24. Nov 21, 2014
    Mass Effect 3 is a worthy conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy and skillfully immerses the player in the hype and drama that the series has been building to. ME3 is the best written of all of the games in the trilogy, and the user is now able to see how past decisions will impact the expected climax of the series. The series also leaves the player with many choices to be made in thisMass Effect 3 is a worthy conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy and skillfully immerses the player in the hype and drama that the series has been building to. ME3 is the best written of all of the games in the trilogy, and the user is now able to see how past decisions will impact the expected climax of the series. The series also leaves the player with many choices to be made in this installment too, however, with some of the best political/diplomatic story arcs of any RPG series. While the ending is much chided by fans, I believe it is a logical ending to the series as it resolves the fundamental question/conflict presented to us by the plot in ME1.

Pros:

-Combat system perfected with options for heavy melee/more combo options/more abilities/options for biotic Shep
    -Exceptionally well written plot with very dramatic and well-designed cutscenes
    -Excellent graphics (for 2012)
    -More fulfilling Romance options + ability to romance select same-sex characters
    -Interesting and engaging side-quests
    -Ending resolves fundamental question/conflict in series in a thought-provoking way, making the ME trilogy not just a combat RPG, but a true "video game novel"

Cons:

-While the ending is very well written in fundamentals, the frame by which it is prevented does come across as a somewhat contrived "Deus ex Machina"
    -While side quests are enjoyable, many can only be completed after a certain main mission is completed (but will appear in your journal before you can complete them!) or must be completed before a main mission is completed. This forces a completionist gamer to occasionally research side-quests to make sure they get it done by x or y mission.

ME3 is a fitting end to the ME trilogy. With the extended cut DLC, the much-chided ending should be found by gamers who enjoy a good story as a fitting resolution to the questions/conflicts presented throughout the series.
  25. Nov 19, 2014
    A good game with a disappointing ending. To be honest, I never really believed the hype about how every choice throughout the series would have a huge effect on the end result of the game, so in the end I wasn't really disappointed. I do think the gameplay is a nice balance of the better combat mechanics of ME2 with the customization options of ME1, though.
  26. Nov 16, 2014
    Although most of the reviews are negative, i must say i'm happy with the game overall. The end, tho a bit disappointing, in my opinion, fits (not perfectly) the story constructed so far. Is there a better fitting end? Yes, i believe so, but the presented alternatives are not that bad; but a surviving Shepard would be better, for sure. The major flaws of the game are not in the ending. ItAlthough most of the reviews are negative, i must say i'm happy with the game overall. The end, tho a bit disappointing, in my opinion, fits (not perfectly) the story constructed so far. Is there a better fitting end? Yes, i believe so, but the presented alternatives are not that bad; but a surviving Shepard would be better, for sure. The major flaws of the game are not in the ending. It has many bugs, some inconsistencies in story line and lore. For example, in ME2 Samara told Shepard that only 3 Ardat-Yakshi existed (her daughters), and we (usually) killed one of them in game. Now in ME3 there are so many that they need a Monastery to remain apart and isolated from society.
    There are some places to go and many side quests to do, but the only place where you do spent some decent time is the Citadel. There are not huge places with many quests to do, like in ME2 where you spent some good hours in Ilium, Tuchanka, Virmine and Omega, just to name some. The side quests also seems a bit shallow (end too fast)...and with exception of the some moments at the last part of the game, the quests are fairly easy to accomplish.
    There are some humor on the dialogues, but it seems that, through all the game, you have less options (and even less people to talk to) than you had in ME1 and ME2. The mechanics of armor and weapons and damage are also worse as they were in ME1 and ME2. You buy the upgrade of you current weapon, so shotgun 1 is bought into shotgun 2..3...4 and so on, which takes the "happiness" of finding a new upgraded version of your current weapon. Armor customization has its benefits, but it's a bit tricky to compare different armor configurations, since you lack the "all info in one screen" tab, so it is harder to see if a +10% shield shoulders do the benefits you're looking for. Mass Effect 1 did a great job in this camp.
    Here's another problem: percentages. All improvements - weapons and armor - are upgraded by percentages. This is problematic in terms that if you have a low damage weapon, and want to upgrade its damage (in a scenario where you like the other aspects of this particular weapon, like accuracy and reload speed), a 20 % dmg increase won't even show in your graphic readings of that weapon. You would get some results only if there were in game improvements around 200 or 300%. So all is in absolute terms, which in this case is not a good option. A numeric version would be better (like increases damage by 70 points or such).
    The reapers interfering on galaxy map traveling is a bit pain, and you hardly do some good deed in your travels, because exploration is in short supply here too. I miss Ilium, i miss all those colonies and random quests, but most of all i miss the heavy rpg element. There are too much cinematic sequences and fewer interaction in game. Overall i'd say you have less choices than the 2 previous titles. Bioware saw this so clearly that the next game on the franchise will feature back the old exploration of ME1 (with a better version of the vehicle Mako) and, with some luck, some good space exploration with had on ME2 (like docking on deranged space station). This surely is more an shooter with rpg elements than the otherwise. It is a good game, don' t get me wrong, but surely it was rushed into completion, and those of us who spent hundreds of hours playing the first 2 titles surely will miss a lot of the good elements presented on the past.
  27. Nov 15, 2014
    I recommend doing two things:
    1. reading all of those negative reviews,
    2. and playing the game anyway. I expected such an awful game after that that I was actually pleasantly surprised. Also, it's now being sold for ~$10 instead of ~$60, sooo... Oh, and the game is pretty annoying if you did play ME1 and 2 and don't have the "saves" for them. I kinda think they should just let you
    I recommend doing two things:
    1. reading all of those negative reviews,
    2. and playing the game anyway.

Oh, and the game is pretty annoying if you did play ME1 and 2 and don't have the "saves" for them. I kinda think they should just let you answer a multiple choice quiz about what ya did in the last games.
  28. Nov 12, 2014
    Of course those bad reviews from gamers are out of place. The end was indeed bad, but it was still a pretty solid game.

The gameplay is easily the best one in the series, and the game is really successful in creating an atmosphere where you get the feeling that the world is falling apart and there is little hope left. It wasn't a game that would suit a happy ending. I believe even if the ending wasn't rushed and incomplete, lots of fans would still believe it was bad because it was not a typical "Star Wars everybody is happy and the world is in peace again" ending.

The big problem with the game for me was the lack of characters interaction. You never get the same depth you did in previous games, specially Mass Effect 2. If one character is not a love interest, then probably you only will get some random lines while you are on Normandy.

Another big issue is that, after playing the game, turns out that your decisions during your journey made zero to none impact in the final outcome.

ME3 deserved to be the best one of the trilogy, but at the end of the day it was easily the less enjoyable one, perhaps because the game could not fulfill the amount of expectation created by the previous games. But it was also a memorable game and easily one of the best of its generation.
  29. Nov 11, 2014
    Overall a good game, but not a worthy conclusion of this epic trilogy. The ending was bad. I'm not talking about the fact, that there was "no happy-ending". I have no problem with it. The ending was poorly explained and the explanation we got from"god-child" was bad. Furthermore there is some serious bad writing in the game. Cerberus, the Illusive Man and Kai Leng for example. On the otherOverall a good game, but not a worthy conclusion of this epic trilogy. The ending was bad. I'm not talking about the fact, that there was "no happy-ending". I have no problem with it. The ending was poorly explained and the explanation we got from"god-child" was bad. Furthermore there is some serious bad writing in the game. Cerberus, the Illusive Man and Kai Leng for example. On the other hand there are some amazing storyquests like Tutchanka. Graphics looks good. Characters are interesting. Quests overall are (except for some of the side/miniquests) also interesting. Music is great.
    Overall, a decent game but worse than the previous two.
  30. Nov 5, 2014
    I finally got around to playing Mass Effect 3. When all is said in done, I found it to be a fairly solid game. It's combat was not great, but not awful, either. Similarly, the story was excellent at times, and weak at others. Acquiring a crew, learning the lore of new and old, exploring the galaxy, and upgrading you and your teammates was a fulfilling experience, however, little wasI finally got around to playing Mass Effect 3. When all is said in done, I found it to be a fairly solid game. It's combat was not great, but not awful, either. Similarly, the story was excellent at times, and weak at others. Acquiring a crew, learning the lore of new and old, exploring the galaxy, and upgrading you and your teammates was a fulfilling experience, however, little was improved from Mass Effect 2 to 3.

Combat was simple with predictable and unintelligent AI (for the most part). Your companions are not particularly useful and can be /very/ powerful if used well and used often. I played on Hard and it was quite easy, like most shooters. Luckily it wasn't too tedious, however. There are enough breaks inbetween combat, exploration, and dialogue which kept a good pace and felt organic.

I thought the story was quite good, and I loved so many of the lines and conversations in the game. A+. Obviously there were some cheesy and not so good ones, but all in all I enjoyed it very much. However, I felt some of the dialogue choices were a bit wonky, some didn't make sense, some gave poor options, and some had silly responses that either Shepherd or the other person didn't make sense to me. In combat, some characters seemed to have a lot more unique/useful/interesting things to say than others, which I largely based my party picks off of (EDI, Garrus, and Liara always have interesting or useful comments or observations).

Finally, I'm not a huge fan of being forced to pick one reputation type and sticking with it. I feel unless you do 90%+ in one or the other, you miss out on the best dialogue choices, dialogue results, and other things. Mixing and matching your choices, even if you feel they're the best ones logically or in your own role-play playthrough, give you a worse result and worse game.

Note: I cannot comment on Day 1 DLC (which is these days quite common) since I only just got it. I also can't comment on the old ending, as I've only experienced the new one. Lastly, I cannot comment on the multiplayer as I have not played it (but I've heard good things).

On the whole I was satisfied with the game, but happy I did not buy it on release.
  31. Nov 4, 2014
    Every cutscene in this game is amazing, and even though I didn't feel the story as well as I did in Mass Effect 2, there are still moments that really pack a punch. It isn't as good as it's predecessor, but isn't as disappointing as Arkham Origins was.
    Sometimes I wish this game were just a movie. I've always been far far more invested in each dialogue scene as I was in the action, and it seemed to just slow down for me every time I had to take on another hoard of cannibals. Despite the ending this is one hell of a game. The combat improves upon itself for those who need it, and the quality for the story (despite the ending) hasn't dropped.
  32. Nov 3, 2014
    i thought this was a great game, not as good as the first story wise but just as good as the 2nd. i still think the combat in 2 and 3 are far better then the first game (the first game's combat always felt like a chore you had to trudge through. it was just horrid never a fun fight accept for the final fight with reaper Sarren)most people seem to forget that ME3 tried to bring back somei thought this was a great game, not as good as the first story wise but just as good as the 2nd. i still think the combat in 2 and 3 are far better then the first game (the first game's combat always felt like a chore you had to trudge through. it was just horrid never a fun fight accept for the final fight with reaper Sarren)most people seem to forget that ME3 tried to bring back some elements from ME like the weapon moding.
    i have no complaints about this game tho the ending left a bad taste in my mouth but i will not let that ruin the game for me like most people have.(tho i am sad my Male Shepard didn't get to settle down with Tali)
  33. Oct 25, 2014
    Epic is the word you will use to describe the youngest of the trilogy. Mass Effect 3 is a near-perfect ending for Bioware's huge galaxy, contains many significant improvements over its predecessors. You cannot complain about its story, its ways to develop characters, its graphic and its gameplay which focused more on RPG elements, along with remarkable voice-captures and soundtrack. It isEpic is the word you will use to describe the youngest of the trilogy. Mass Effect 3 is a near-perfect ending for Bioware's huge galaxy, contains many significant improvements over its predecessors. You cannot complain about its story, its ways to develop characters, its graphic and its gameplay which focused more on RPG elements, along with remarkable voice-captures and soundtrack. It is one of the most awesome moments in gaming history, killed a little by some of its plot hole, but you'll never forget it when it comes to the most satisfying universe's faith ever created. Expand
  34. Oct 23, 2014
    This would be better if it wasn't such an obvious cash grab. The game you buy is half the game. Get the other half in installments for $8 here and $20 there. They listened regarding the repetition of the minigames, but didn't supply an alternative for unlocking doors and such, just erased all challenge.

Minor hints of spoilers below without giving too much away. PROS: -No more

Minor hints of spoilers below without giving too much away.

PROS:
    -No more mining planets for minerals.
    -That one bears repeating: no more mining planets for minerals
    -ingenious follow through to a third game on the romance/baggage train
    -weapon upgrades
    -dialogue & companions with humor
    -finishes the story, offers closure
    -graphics
    -combat

CONS:
    -obvious cash grab in the final hour, only half the game provided with base price
    -the Kaiden storyline (your already made choices in other games win or lose you points to keeping him)
    -you get like 3 companion choices unless you buy more...no lie.
    -inability to get enough war resources unless you buy that opportunity (changed recently)
    -ability to acquire more resources with co-op play which is impossible to find a viable group for
    -repetition in resource gathering
    -over scripted finale

I didn't mind the ending(s). I thought there was cheese there but it was fine. I also think a trilogy with an actual end is good. A lot of the screaming here is likely because you become attached to Shepard and want to play her in a Mass Effect 4, you want it to keep going because you made her and you like her and you're invested in her. Trilogies are good for movies and books and they can be good for video games too. Let BioWare move on...I'm interested to see what they do after DA is done...they'll need a new adventure trilogy and look at what they've done/learned with their DA and mass effects series. Mass Effect being done in three is a good thing when you think about it.
  35. Oct 22, 2014
    Having been forewarned of the issues with the ending, I downloaded the improved ending DLC as well as all the other DLCs.

Firstly, let me tell you that the DLCs improve the game massively, and it easily deserves a 9 at least. Most if not all of the negative reviews are caused by the ending, which the DLC fixes, so no reason not to give the game a higher rating once you get the DLC, (which is available for free). The other DLCs need to be paid for but boy are they great!

In short, the DLCs improve the game massively-especially the Citadel DLC, awesome, and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. The ending was bittersweet for me, as I knew I was saying farewell to the Mass Effect Universe, but hopefully they will bring it back in the future.
  36. Oct 20, 2014
    When i firstly played this title i was completely disapointed. i was coming from the extremely good environment of ME2 to the poor and unstable environment of ME3. The transition was very hard. As the time was passing by i started getting used of it and in the last 3 months i started enjoying it.

Really i enjoyed the battles but i really hated the cut scenes, although i love the story of mass effect the cut scenes was so poor.

Finally the game is not so well made like its predecessors, i hope ME4 to be a better game cause i want to return to this franchise.
  37. Oct 16, 2014
    This used to be my favorite franchise. I have put at least 500 hours into ME1 and ME2, all in preparation for ME3. I wanted to have the perfect save file ready, so I could see how my choices would add up in ME3.

What I got, however, was a rushed mess, that didn't even deliver on half of the promises made. The game knew that it had a lot of knots to tie, relating to the different side

The game knew that it had a lot of knots to tie, relating to the different side missions and characters I had interacted with in my many playthroughs of ME1+2. This was solved mostly by lazily sending an email to you ingame, telling you that "This char did this, and now he/she is dead" or "Hello, I am xxx you helped my with yyy a while back, thanks"

The characters didn't feel like the characters from the first two games, they felt a little "off". Like they were written by a different person (which turned out to be correct). This became blatantly obvious the farther I got. I often had the feeling that "this person would not say this" or "this person would not do this"

The zones/planets/places you visited felt small and confined, I felt like I traversed one long corridor with no option to explore or branch off the given path.

Decisions you made felt superficial, and I didn't feel like I had an impact on the world, contrary to the two previous games, This was mostly because the game focused on completing old storylines, poorly, instead of creating some new ones as well.

The whole game I had a bad feeling about these occurrences, and when I reached the end, the game simply caved in on itself. I could only sit there and stare at the screen completely silent. Then, as something I can only assume was a joke, the DLC message popped up: "Commander Shepard has become a legend by ending the Reaper threat. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content"

I simply shut the game off, uninstalled Origin, and I haven't touched an EA game since. The fact that I stumbled over this in late 2014 and still feel angry, is a testament to how much this game disappointed me.

This game has ruined my love for the two previous ones as well, as I sit back with a "what's to point" feeling whenever I feel like playing ME1 or ME2.

If you haven't played the Mass Effect series, I would recommend you to only play the first two games, and forget that this stinker exists.

...And lastly, looking at the professional critic score, is a perfect indicator of what is wrong with game journalism today.
  38. Oct 14, 2014
    Mass effect one and two were among the best story driven experiences available across any medium...which evokes the rage of the real mass effect fan base...the ones who played over and over again, the ones who feel in love with this galaxy and all its occupants...the ending is worse than "he woke up it was all a dream"..the developers gave a big **** you to the fan base which they laterMass effect one and two were among the best story driven experiences available across any medium...which evokes the rage of the real mass effect fan base...the ones who played over and over again, the ones who feel in love with this galaxy and all its occupants...the ending is worse than "he woke up it was all a dream"..the developers gave a big **** you to the fan base which they later regretted by giving us dlc they intended to charge us for to shut us up...yes the ending is bad enough to be considered worst ever across any medium Expand
  39. Oct 9, 2014
    I love the end of the game. It is so courageous, anti-mainstream and philosophical like a special final of a good movie. And: No, I don't also like the ending of the television series "Lost".
  40. Oct 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is one of the worst games i've ever played
    it completely destroyed what ME stood for

Gameplay
    The gameplay is a TPS Gears of war clone,forcing you on action sequenceshorde mode to finish the levels
    all you have to do is point and shoot,point and shoot
    ME2 removed many RPG elements from the original ME1,but this game,this abomination,it destroyed it completely
    for example,in ME2 you could chat with squadmates and they could tell you random things that would get you in a long and interesting conversation with various investigate options,here is different,you get a 1 minute long conversation at best,and the autodialogue takes 90% of your conversation away,and after that said conversation after 1 main mission,you think you can talk with them some more?
    NO,they greet you randomly with 'hey' 'hi' 'hi shepard' like Zaeed in ME2 did..that pissed me off so badly
    i hated the Zaeed system in ME2,that's why i never spoke with him at all in ME2
    The interactivity is reduced to none on the ship,you don't have a reason to check out the other parts of the ship
    The dialogue wheel is reduced to 2 options,and doesn't appear so often,since Shepard talks on his own for 30 minutes before you can do something,and that something is another shooter section
    they force you to do shooting sections over and over,long shooting galleries
    i remember in ME1-2 there were missions where you didn't even have to use weapons
    exploration has been dumbed down to a pacman like game
    you scan the solar systems with a circle like transmission that detects items on nearby planets and attracks the reapers,if they reach you there's no space battle or something cool,it's game over
    so retarded
    side quests are ridicolous,you overhear people talking about a random object lost in the reaper conquered space and you automatically have the quest,you have to do the annoying search minigame with 3 loading screens and then give it to them for 10.000 credits and sometimes a war asset
    N7 missions are like 5-6 of them,and are ripped straight from the multiplayer
    The Story

the story is bad,but the kind of bad that would make you facepalm for the entire game
    Shepard is warped from the Normandy (ME2 ending) to Earth,and 6 months have passed.
    WTF? what shepard said to the illusive man in the ME2 ending?
    'the reapers are still out there,and i'm gonna stop them without sacrificing our species' soul'
    yeah,one that does want to stop the reapers goes to Earth to be jailed.
    spectre authority?Doesn't matter
    all you did before doesn't matter,at all:
    you could do whatever you want and all you get is a slightly different line of dialogue instead of another
    the rachni for example,a critical choice in ME1
    is completely invalidated,the rachni are there,regardless of what you have chosen
    WHY GIVE US THE CHOICE AT ALL?
    all it changes it's a number
    that's all it changes in ME3
    EMS,when in ME2 we had flags that determinated who died or who survived here is a number that,you've guessed it,doesn't matter,it just determinates if the space magic device is intact or not
    each story arch is forced and boring
    screwing over lore whatever they could
    like the Geth and the Quarians
    there are many other story **** that you can imagine

Action or RPG 'mode'
    What the hell is this?
    is some kind of pandering to COD?
    stop this **** so tired of it
    from the description
    RPG mode would give you total control over what your character says
    Action mode all dialogue becomes autodialogue,renegade options
    but it's not like this,at least not in the 'RPG' mode
    Autodialogue sucks out 90% of what you say and what you do
    Shepard becomes a retard approving all they say to him without being able to ask questions
    Tali's Face ....,bioware,why did you **** it up? why do a Photoshopped image,A BAD PHOTOSHOPPED image FOR A CHARACTER THAT WE WERE WAITING 5 YEARS TO SEE? you heard right,they didn't even bother to give her a 3d model,it's all hidden like in ME2,only that photoshopped image pisses me off. especially when i know that a certain Mary Sue (Liara)is given a lot more focus this game has made me hate her I hate Mac Walters and Casey Hudson too. Including the multiplayer Why the hell did you include multiplayer? it's stupid,cheap and idiotic it's just a overglorified Horde mode from GOW with different playable characters of course,then there's the infamous ending it's the worst ending of all time,i cannot express how much hatred i've got for it,and how much i've got it for the game now so much potential,wasted Advice Stay the hell away from this piece of crap
  41. Oct 1, 2014
    As far as the epic conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy goes, 3 is a mixed bag. On the one hand, it starts out amazingly, where you feel like the fate of the galaxy is at stake and every race that inhabits it, for better or worse. Unfortunately, after a great start, it stumbles, then falls flat on it's face in the end. If by the end of ME3 you're left wondering what happened, even withAs far as the epic conclusion to the Mass Effect trilogy goes, 3 is a mixed bag. On the one hand, it starts out amazingly, where you feel like the fate of the galaxy is at stake and every race that inhabits it, for better or worse. Unfortunately, after a great start, it stumbles, then falls flat on it's face in the end. If by the end of ME3 you're left wondering what happened, even with the end game DLC, you're not alone. This game could never meet every fan's expectations, and there's no way bioware could have made all the choices the player made over the course of 3 games end in an exponential number of endings, but when it's all said and done, your choices are essentially rendered inconsequential.

The game is very playable, and re-playable, and you can easily get your money's worth out of the entertainment values presented here, just don't go into it with high expectations.
  42. Sep 27, 2014
    Bioware has been progressively dumbing down the immersion felt in the Mass Effect universe, starting with the transition from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 and now dealing the killing blow with the final game in this wonderful trilogy.

Don't get me wrong, Mass Effect 3 was a solid single-player experience; however, this is not about a "solid single-player experience", this is about the third game in a series known for its immersiveness and ability to make you feel empathy for its characters. In this game, that immersion has been diluted to the point of many characters having their purpose in the overall plot made negligible and simply added in to provide a cameo for the fans of other Mass Effect fiction (see: James Vega), and this unfortunately includes our protagonist: the one character you were supposed to feel connected with given the game's status as an "RPG".

Sure, some of this was solved by DLC, but the simple fact that we're talking about "solving problems" for a game that spent a sizeable amount of time in development means that there is a problem. But, that is all about the immersion.

The crippling point of this game - for I had foolishly thought that the game could still be saved - was not the lack of immersion, it was the poorly developed plotline that had great beginning. Having been built-up by the first two games in the trilogy, I expected that the pacing and ultimate resolution of the plot would not leave me with a sour taste in my mouth as it did. The plotline is developed in a ridiculously cliché manner, to the point that it feels like I was watching a series of overly edited cinematics with gameplay only serving as a buffer between viewings. Is it a bad thing per se? No, but this takes us back to this game's position as the third game in its series, meaning that it has a certain standard to live up to and a certain method of gameplay that a player of such a series would expect. The new method of delivering the plot is disjointing at best and game-ruining at worst, with me leaning closer to the latter end of the spectrum.

Finally, we get to the ending (with me addressing the vanilla ending, as I should be). While not absolutely terrible, it does leave enormous gaps of "What happened?" moments that should NOT be happening with the closer of a series. Sure, inference and speculation are alright if another game was to be expected, but the this is the final game of the series that would star Commander Shepard, so this game - as the other 2 provided - should have given us a sense of finality even if it was not decisively final. While Leviathan fixed many of the holes that were exhaustively mentioned by reviewers, there should not have been anything to fix (refer to my DLC rant).

Tl;dr - The game was decent as a single-player experience, awful as a multiplayer experience, atrocious as a Mass Effect game, and the apotheosis of plot failure as a Mass Effect trilogy finisher.

Mass Effect 3 made me experience a thought that should never be experienced with an RPG, much less one as wonderful as Mass Effect: "Do I really want to play this again?"
  43. Sep 24, 2014
    Mass Effect 3 is a phenomenal experience, and a fitting end to the Mass Effect trilogy. The stakes have never been higher, the action never as intense, and by the end of the game, when you arrive back at Earth with every fleet you've gathered and finally bring the fight to the Reapers, it would be hard to not at least cheer for the Galaxy that you've known and loved for three games,Mass Effect 3 is a phenomenal experience, and a fitting end to the Mass Effect trilogy. The stakes have never been higher, the action never as intense, and by the end of the game, when you arrive back at Earth with every fleet you've gathered and finally bring the fight to the Reapers, it would be hard to not at least cheer for the Galaxy that you've known and loved for three games, finally putting aside old grudges and conflicts to work together as a united force. Bioware also hasn't held back in the emotional scenes of Mass Effect 3, from the opening scene where a Reapers destroyer mercilessly destroys a shuttle escaping with a child on board, to the deaths of many main characters and the nightmares that Shepard goes through, this game really pulled at my heartstrings. Of course, there is the ending, which caused much controversy for its abrupt end without providing resolution to long time fans of the series, however as I only played the game after the release of the Extended Cut DLC, I was satisfied with the ending, it was not the best way to end the series, but it was fine in my honest opinion, and overall, Mass Effect 3 was one of the most amazing and compelling games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Expand
  44. Sep 12, 2014
    I highly regret this full price preorder this is one of the few times I have ever pre purchased a videogame believing it a solid bet. I played and completed both ME1 & 2 but something about this title really offended me as PC gamer. The plastic and lifeless visuals coupled with a bland 'illusion of choice' script leaves the characters feeling unrealistic and the locations static. Maybe II highly regret this full price preorder this is one of the few times I have ever pre purchased a videogame believing it a solid bet. I played and completed both ME1 & 2 but something about this title really offended me as PC gamer. The plastic and lifeless visuals coupled with a bland 'illusion of choice' script leaves the characters feeling unrealistic and the locations static. Maybe I have just been spoiled by recent gaming highs (TLOU, GTAV, BF4) but where is the quality this time? Where are 2012 level AAA character animations, voice emotion and smart dialogue. Makes me think then why bother releasing this rubbish? Looks like the space RPG genre still has room on the shelf.
    Highly regret this purchase.
  45. Sep 6, 2014
    I can sum this game up in one sentence....... Great game terrible ending.

Mass effect 3 takes the refined combat of ME2 and adds further improvements out of the entire trilogy I feel that ME3 has the best and most balanced combat system. The main storyline is strong right up until priority sanctuary where it takes a steep nosedive. Overall Bioware plays to its strengths ME3 has a
    I can sum this game up in one sentence....... Great game terrible ending.

The main storyline is strong right up until priority sanctuary where it takes a steep nosedive. Overall Bioware plays to its strengths ME3 has a strong cast of memorable characters and a meaningful storyline that makes ME3 a nearly perfect end to Shepard's stroyline.

That said ME3 does have its problems
    1) Fetch missions are quite lazy and feel like an afterthought to the campaign
    2) Poor animations at times characters will jerk and do physically impossible things head twisting being a memorable moment
    3)Galaxy at war was not fleshed out and had no meaningful impact other than a red/green/blue ending (expanded on slightly with the Extended cut).
    4) Kai Leng was poorly implemented and felt like a joke. Easily one of the more frustrating moments of the game given that he is made out to be your equal but is laughably stupid most of the time which makes his cutscene wins over you incredibly frustrating.
    5) A more personal one for me was the treatment of Ashley Williams she had just two scenes and was only usable after the first half of the game.

I've had this game since release but have chosen to review not to give it the score I think it deserves and not one based on the disappointment I had after release. The reason I can give it a 9/10 is due to the fact that the problems only represent 10% of the game and as such I enjoyed the other 90% enough to give it a good score.

This is a great game and even though I believe it deserves a 9/10 I cannot help but focus on the negative aspects of the game.it has to be the worst ending to a game that I have ever played. Get it right with DAI Bioware!!!!!
  46. Sep 2, 2014
    Top notch graphics, sounds, music and story. Love the character development among the companions and the story that each brought to the mass effect universe. I love the writing and hope there is more DLC to come.
  47. Aug 28, 2014
    Bad game. Tries to hard to be cool. Badly written, a ruined story. Over simplified aimed at those that don't like to think or use their brains to delve into imagination, just like that character in the game says "Aim for the head, because she has no heart" just like mass effect 2, this game is simple and is a try hard. It's lost. Spend the money elsewhere.
  48. Aug 1, 2014
    The free DLC fixed the worst issues with this game, but the story remains the weakest of the series. The combat has been improved and the DLCs are excellent, especially the citadel and leviathan ones.
  49. Jul 26, 2014
    What they did to you, poor baby? Excluding the ending and the orientation on more action, the dificulty level reduction for casual players to get it... and it's an average rpg-shooter hybrid sorta thing. It shouldn't have a Mass Effect seal on it but we can't argue Bioware didn't try. It's not it's best, but you can have fun with the game. If you crush your expectatives from a good ME game.
  50. Jul 15, 2014
    This game was simply amazing. The story, the levels, the combat, all of it was really good. The ending may be a bit weird but with the extended cut I think its becomes okay. The optimization of this game is amazing as well. As must play and a good ending to the Mass Effect trilogy.
  51. Jul 7, 2014
    I think this one is best out of the 3 games. The game play is refined and engaging, the combat is very good, I really like the multiplayer and played countless hours with it, the story is very nice, I see tons of cameos and my decisions reflecting back from the first game and they don't feel forced at all. The buildup, the tension, the writing, the voice acting, the graphics are allI think this one is best out of the 3 games. The game play is refined and engaging, the combat is very good, I really like the multiplayer and played countless hours with it, the story is very nice, I see tons of cameos and my decisions reflecting back from the first game and they don't feel forced at all. The buildup, the tension, the writing, the voice acting, the graphics are all brilliant. I deducted 2 points because: 1st obviously cash-grab DLCs that feel like cutout content (day 1 removed character, important story DLCs like Leviathan), 2nd the ending is a disgrace even with the extended cut. It was okay I mean, but the whole buildup for the final confrontation felt utterly pointless and I felt I was cheated in a way. I like how the company reflected on it (extended cut, free DLCs), but still there was no official apology.

My conclusion: this is a really great game and extremely worth it, but be prepared for some letdown in the end...
  52. Jul 6, 2014
    People complain about this game far too much, since they updated the ending this game has become a full fledged conclusion to the trilogy instead of the retarded third child it once was. the game play from 2 to 3 was much improved and the online multi-player was non-stop fun (provided you will need to have at least 1-2 friends in your life to enjoy it) Best game of the series by far. IfPeople complain about this game far too much, since they updated the ending this game has become a full fledged conclusion to the trilogy instead of the retarded third child it once was. the game play from 2 to 3 was much improved and the online multi-player was non-stop fun (provided you will need to have at least 1-2 friends in your life to enjoy it) Best game of the series by far. If you don't believe go drive in a goddamn Mako for a few hours then return.

Don't believe the Haters!
  53. Jul 6, 2014
    Mass effect 3 is a great game, there is one major flaw that justifies the 1000+ negative reviews, the ending was so.... stupid. But the game play is great, the choices are drastic and meaningful just like Mass effect 2.
  54. Jul 5, 2014
    mass effect 3 is just amazing the gameplay is just a blast one of my favorite stories but the characters aren't the best and the ending wasn't as good as anybody hoped overall amazing game with few flaws
  55. Jul 5, 2014
    A solid third person shooter with some basic RPG elements. The combat is good, the RPG elements are a little more fleshed out, and the atmosphere of impending doom well sustained. It could have been slightly better than the second instalment, but the lack of meaningful choices, numerous corridor shooting sequences, bland writing and of course the rushed nonsensical ending bring the markA solid third person shooter with some basic RPG elements. The combat is good, the RPG elements are a little more fleshed out, and the atmosphere of impending doom well sustained. It could have been slightly better than the second instalment, but the lack of meaningful choices, numerous corridor shooting sequences, bland writing and of course the rushed nonsensical ending bring the mark down below Mass Effect 2. Expand
  56. Jun 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 5.1 User Score....Seriously?

As a conclusion of the trilogy is a good ending and it is in the same level of the previous chapters. This is the end of a EPIC sci-fi history drama about friendship, love, tolerance, perseverance, fight, sacrifice and life and talk about what makes human, with a lot of philosophical background. Is the game perfect? For me, yes. Because is the only game that made me to be close to jump in tears in several moments. Its full of inspiring moments.

In the third part i feel like they focused more in the narrative aspect, with a great screenplay, and althought there arent fights like previous chpaters, i didnt miss it. In the technic aspect is true that uses the same motor and textures but...why to change what it works?

Dont let the bioware haters confuse you, its a great game. How someone objective can even put a 0 or 1 to this game?? Its ridiculous. I dont know if they are angry about the end or what. Or maybe the didnt play it at all. Anyway they should go to the doctor...

About the ending is true that is a bit weird end, and maybe not what most wanted or expected, but at least is an original and unpredictable end. Not so bad as people say.
    This chapter is a solid 9 for me. The complete trilogy is a perfect 10, and the best experience ever played in a PC (and i played a lot of games along the videogame history)
  57. Buu
    Jun 17, 2014
    Mass Effect 3 seems like a experiment to get everything present at Video-Games 101 and throw it out of the window. Even the usual "Boss Fight" was sold as "too videogamey" idea and cut from it. Things that don't work include poorly designed introduction, quests that are gotten without indication or interaction with NPCs, and always end in a mini-game of scan-and-run fetch. Inventory stillMass Effect 3 seems like a experiment to get everything present at Video-Games 101 and throw it out of the window. Even the usual "Boss Fight" was sold as "too videogamey" idea and cut from it. Things that don't work include poorly designed introduction, quests that are gotten without indication or interaction with NPCs, and always end in a mini-game of scan-and-run fetch. Inventory still horrible to manage, and quest details and progress are inexistent.
    The great voice actors from the previous games are faded by the bad story and cheesy lines. In fact most of the older characters return completely "out-of-character", to progress a story with lots of violence and deaths.
    Even classic features from the series are defaced. The dialog wheel doesn't follow the classic options of decisions, investigation and actions anymore, and the amount of auto-dialog is significant.
    Besides that, most of the history is preset and don't change based on your decisions and what changes are only showed as scores, changing nothing in the actual game, until the very end, when you're just told that had a consequence. Not showed, just TOLD.
    DLCs still being sold only by Bioware points, which never change price. Thing that cause the each of larger DLCs, which are just a fraction of the game, to cost even MORE than the base game.
    And the worst feature of the game was the ending. One ending that retroactively ruined the 2 great game that precede it. An ending that was included in literature college courses as subject of how to not deliver a narrative. Mass Effect was once called the Star Trek of this generation, but this third game was so revolting that made writers from "the Next Generation" to rise their voices and protest to what was made with the story. It's an ending that will live forever in infamy and is revolting in many levels.
    If you're a fan of the franchise and loved the first two games, but never touched this third instance, refrain yourself, and consider the second game the end of Shepard's tale.
    There is always hope that in the future the IP will fall in more competent hands, and they will consider ME3 never happened, and write a proper end for this Epic.
  58. Jun 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How come this game scored so highly from the critics? It's like DA2. Are the critics actually real people or are the just programs that a large developer can hack into and create their own review? Maybe they were bought off, maybe they didn't even play the game and stayed at home that day.

I enjoyed the game play and the flash look but it is a game limited by a LOT of stuff. Firstly the epic story that had been developed in ME and ME2 took a nose dive... New writer? My first confusion and concern was the real opening mission... So Earth has finally been invaded by the Reapers and the first stop on the galactic getaway plan is... Mars (I think it's Mars), where you have to fight the reapers who have naturally attacked there too seeing as the Solar System is so small and they need to wipe out all humans... No wait, that's not it... Where you fight Cerberus Who in their attempt to save humanity are ignoring (for most of the game) the upcoming human extinction. So... Put another way, humans are being wiped out in their millions and what do the most powerful humans do in response, that's right, fight each other. Good plan man. There's nothing like the threat of galactic extinction to bring a race together, it's so touching. The interaction with the NPCs seems quite limited to previous games. Every one seems much more 'teenage angst' too which is a bit annoying if you're not 15. It's like everybody suddenly turned emo. Of course the biggest example of the games poor writing and failure to follow the previous games is the fragile time frame and odd 'MUST SAVE THE HUMANS' thing going on... Exactly how long can earth last anyway and why are all the other races planning to go there abandoning their own species and home worlds? Sorry but no matter what excuse you give that will NEVER make sense. Then... (after many more stupid ideas and plot 'twists') the ending/endings/ending (one, three... Who knows). Um... After seeing it once, I will never play the game again and will not engage with the ME universe again. I my opinion it is the worst possible conclusion. Not only do the game mechanics totally break i.e. your decisions change the fate of humanity etc comes down to 'how do you want to die? like this or this or this?' It also doesn't make sense. Are we supposed to all be on drugs or something and go like 'oh double rainbow... starting to look like a triple rainbow'? It doesn't make sense, is trippy and kind of heartbreaking. The time, engagement, people, conversations, romance (way overplayed romance by the way), heart that many players put into the game is crushed by the ending. The ending ruined the whole journey. It would be like Frodo, fighting tyranny and disaster all the way to Mount Doom only to pat his pockets and have forgotten the damn ring. All the choices made- pointless, all the conversations, pointless, all the hope, drive, passion desire... pointless. YOU LOSE is the feeling you're left with and that is just a plain daft decision. It may have tried to be clever but it is quite the opposite. We didn't need clever either, we needed conclusion satisfaction. What we have is a maybe... kind of conclusion and no satisfaction. Does EA have some sort of existential problem it is trying to resolve all of a sudden? Has money made this the case? Can I help by relieving some of the raked money weight?

Then... The mixed game play. Some great stuff, some linear stuff and some frustrating stuff. Enough from me, if you enjoyed it, good on you. All in all, I found it to be as tangled and frustrating as a ball of wool rolled into a room full of kittens.
  59. Jun 2, 2014
    It's mediocre as a movie but complete fails as a game. It's the kind of game where I would rather the game just play itself and I watch (twice - once good guy, once bad guy). There is no real freedom, you are on a railroad, and now and then there is a fork (a choice)... but usually the game designer has decided that some choices are less valid than others and will punish you for makingIt's mediocre as a movie but complete fails as a game. It's the kind of game where I would rather the game just play itself and I watch (twice - once good guy, once bad guy). There is no real freedom, you are on a railroad, and now and then there is a fork (a choice)... but usually the game designer has decided that some choices are less valid than others and will punish you for making them, basically forcing their moral world view on you. And the rhyme and reason of it is quite irrational - the game rewards you for picking fights with strangers doing things the designers expect you to disapprove of, but punishes you for not committing genocide of the last of some ant creature. It's fitting that it has such a bad ending, because the entire thing was bad. Most levels offer no freedom of movement, you are funneled by invisible walls, and have fixed objections that you must complete. Which might be right for a racing car game, but not in what is suppose to be an 'adventure' game... an 'adventure' game where you are not free to actually adventure. It fails as an adventure game because of the lack of freedom, and it fails as an action game because of the lack of depth to the combat... leaving the player with nothing rewarding except a mediocre story that the game demands you jump through hoops to see. I didn't play it through, I watched what I missed on YouTube. Expand
  60. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    EA published, less RPG feel compared to the first one.
    The ending was originally so ambiguous that they had to DLC patch it. No matter what decisions you made during the course of the 3 games there’s only 3 actual endings which are kinda similar to one another. Pros: Great characters, great story, nice decision system, fun gameplay, immersive atmosphere, great sci-fi universe,
    Cons:
    EA published, less RPG feel compared to the first one.
    The ending was originally so ambiguous that they had to DLC patch it.

Pros:
    Great characters, great story, nice decision system, fun gameplay, immersive atmosphere, great sci-fi universe, politically charged & nice classes to choose from. Great & addictive multiplayer.
  61. May 16, 2014
    Forget all the crap you hear about the ending; if you want to see all your favorite characters walking off into the sunset, hand-in-hand, this is not the game for you. On the other hand, if you want to play a game that engages you from start to finish, has you make some truly difficult moral decisions, and makes you care about who lives and who dies, then Mass Effect 3 it is. Honestly, IForget all the crap you hear about the ending; if you want to see all your favorite characters walking off into the sunset, hand-in-hand, this is not the game for you. On the other hand, if you want to play a game that engages you from start to finish, has you make some truly difficult moral decisions, and makes you care about who lives and who dies, then Mass Effect 3 it is. Honestly, I don't get the hate. The ending is perfectly fitting. The game mechanics are fantastic, very polished, and rarely monotonous. Enjoy it for what it is, a perfectly good way to end the series. Mass Effect 2 will always be the better game, but for me this is not the great big turd some people want it to be. Considering the amount of sub-standard fare that gets spewed out by big game companies these days, the kind of re-heated **** we see regurgitated by Activision every few months, we should be glad this is actually a decent game. Expand
  62. May 10, 2014
    Such a massive disappointment on so many levels, I the game play is still fairly solid which is why i gave it a 3 instead of a zero. However the script writing I have no idea what happened with.... In the original mass effect we had these deep different characters with altering personalities that you could converse with, now all we have is broadly drawn characters like every alien in theSuch a massive disappointment on so many levels, I the game play is still fairly solid which is why i gave it a 3 instead of a zero. However the script writing I have no idea what happened with.... In the original mass effect we had these deep different characters with altering personalities that you could converse with, now all we have is broadly drawn characters like every alien in the galaxy wants to be like the rock or vin diesel or meghan fox..... The ending made me want to light the games studio on fire.

I see bioware to the likes of baldurs gate 1 tales of the sword coast and baldurs gate 2 shadows of amn and unfortunately there i believe is now external influences "cough EA" "EA cough" ruining what used to be a fantastic games development company.
  63. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 had some absolutely wonderful high points, but the lows completely ruined the series I had come to love over the years. Lets get the high points out of the way first since they are few and while great, are completely overshadowed by what's wrong with the game.
    First off, the graphics were outstanding even though the game was a console port, as was the music. The genophage cure series of events were absolutely incredible as long as Rex was not killed off in ME1. The paragon resolution to the genophage was heartwarming and the renegade resolution (if Mordin didn't die in ME2) was one of the most painful things I've ever done in a video game. Shooting the guy in the back was soooo wrong.
    I also enjoyed many of the aspects with previous squad members and friends from both ME1 and ME2. Running into Major Kirrahe from ME1 was a real treat and the deathbed prayer was so unexpected and moving that I actually got all teary eyed... a feat no video game had achieved in almost 30 years of gaming.

Now... onto the bad. The whole opening sequence was absolute garbage. You can't just throw a new player into a situation assuming they already know these key people from previous games... add in a brand new main character not even ME veterans know even though the game treats the player like they should (Meat-head Vega), and after no buildup have earth attacked where they slap a pistol in your hand and expect you to fight wave after wave of f*cking aliens. You want to see a great opening to a game? Just look at Mass Effect 2. That introduction was one of the most brilliant in video game history. The player gets a sense of how to control movement through the environment, allowing them to get a feel for things, and aren't pressed to instant combat with zero idea what they're doing.
    Second... whatever happened to the promise that all these decisions in ME1 and ME2 having clear and distinct effects on the end of the trilogy?? Where was the payoff for saving/killing the Rachni? Or saving/destroying the Geth deep-space station? or most importantly... saving/destroying the Collector station at the end of ME2? And WTF is up with Cerberus still having the human-reaper even though I nuked the station from orbit? Only my ship had the Reaper IFF to activate the Omega 4 relay and my ship was dropped into Alliance hands as soon as I returned from the galactic center.
    Those are just a few of my problems with the game, but the biggest issue started from when you set foot on the Illusive Man's space station and didn't end till the credits stopped rolling. The entire space-ninja thing with Kai was beyond retarded, and as I said earlier... the human-reaper being there was complete BS... but it really got bad when you return to Earth. The space battle started good, but with no clear payoff for gathering every race in the galaxy to help other than one heavily damaged reaper and no show of the massive firepower you've amassed for the Normandy herself was deplorable.
    The "say goodbye" sequence was hollow, unfeeling, and didn't contain anything that showed the player the deep emotional bonds you've developed with your friends and loved ones. The whole thing was pointless.

Last and least is my problem with the run to the beam and the f*cking star-brat. Your whole squad gets vaporized, no fight with Harbinger, no dialogue with him. Nothing. He just fries Shepard and leaves the scene. Oh... I can't forget the final boss battle!!! Shepard VS Marauder Shields!!! Bioware were too stupid to come up with a proper end fight so instead they had Shepard face THE ONLY MARAUDER IN THE GAME WITH SHIELDS.... as the final battle. Pathetic.
    Then... after three games where Shepards life was completely dedicated to stopping the reapers, preventing human extinction.... the trilogies antagonist.... the reapers... are pi$$ed out the window for Martin Sheen and a light-up ghost of the brat you tried to help at the beginning of ME3. W....T....F....

Casey Hudson said in an interview prior to ME3's release that all your decisions mattered and how you would NEVER see a cookie cutter ending where you choose A, B, or C. But that's exactly what they did. It's like the development team at Bioware all went on vacation just after finishing the Illusive Man's space station, handed the keys to the newest Intern who previously was fetching them coffee, and told him to finish the game himself even though he had never played ME1 or ME2 and only was allowed to see a few bits and pieces of ME3 while in development.

I, along with millions of others absolutely loved the Mass Effect series. So much so that we actually had an emotional attachment to the characters. Other game studios would KILL to achieve such a thing. And the way that Bioware said "f*ck it" and rushed the game out the door to meet EA's deadline for release, which was just in time boost quarterly profits for EA has disgusted me to a level that i'll never pay money for another one of their games. Pi$$ off!
  64. Apr 21, 2014
    I played through the Mass Effect trilogy twice in two weeks,and all i can say is:WOW.
    Amazing player-driven story,interesting explorable universe,countless of adventures.
    This is the peak of the RPG genre. I don't think I'll ever be able to symphatize with,love,or hate characters like in the universe of Mass Effect. Thank you Bioware. For the 3rd episode,(played with all dlcs,no
    This is the peak of the RPG genre.
    Thank you Bioware.

For the 3rd episode,(played with all dlcs,no multiplayer),it's has really something in it.
    I felt something after every big decision,i felt I'm in a hurry,it sucked me in.
    There won't be another game soon,which makes me feel guilty for decimating a whole race,or makes me play the whole trilogy again because of it.
    Proper ending to an amazing story,in an awesome universe.
    (I understand if some people had problems with the game after it came out,but i can't say a bad thing about it)
  65. Apr 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really liked Mass Effect 1 and especially 2, so i was really hyped to play Mass Effect 3. But after the first 5 minutes of the game i almost started crying about how the developers managed to ruin "my" Mass Effect. The story starts out with the earth being attacked. So far nothing really unexpected. Although the story-writers already managed to screw up this part. Firstly there is no explanation give on how the reapers managed to come to the milky way. Why the hassle with the sovereign if the reapers don't need the citadel anyway? Second: How can the scanners of the alliance detect the reapers before there at the earth? They are moving faster than the radiation the scanners can pick up. Third: Shepard was locked up for an extended period of time, because they don't trust them. This guy is a hero! He saved mankind (twice!) and is a specter (and therefore not to be punished by any other authority than the council) and probably one of the most influential individuals in the whole universe. These are just fluff-related problems, but the technical ones were soon to follow. The game starts as we follow admiral Anderson. Anderson looks like a puppet. While he is running his upper body isn't moving. When finding the emergency beacon, he repeats the same animation all the time. For the first 10 minutes of a game, these are already really big problems. Afterwards we are taken on a scripted journey to Mars and the citadel afterwards, that took me in total almost 2 hours. Now i can move freely on the ship for the first time and the tutorial still isn't over! I wanted to explore but NO! i have to watch a tutorial on the different parts of the ship. Add to that the terrible and unsatisfying ending and you can understand my disappointment.

The Mass Effect-franchise doesn't deserve this. This might be acceptable for someone who started with mass effect 3, but everyone who is used to the glorious storytelling of mass effect 1 & 2 will end up in tears over the missed opportunity. It has been over a year since then, but i'm still not over it.
  66. Apr 12, 2014
    this pathetic excuse for an rpg game was designed with multi player in mind primarily. the single player experience is only an afterthought thrown into multi player maps. radical departure from the masterpiece of a single player game mass effect 2 was. if you played mass effect 2 and liked it do yourself a favor and give me3 a miss.
  67. Apr 6, 2014
    I thought this game was quite epic. I had played Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 and loved both but only got around to playing ME3 recently. I thought the visuals were a nice step up from ME2 and the story was very emotional and gripping. The quest tracker, however, is pretty horrible and there were a few too many fetch quests but otherwise, thoroughly enjoyed it, even the ending which II thought this game was quite epic. I had played Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 and loved both but only got around to playing ME3 recently. I thought the visuals were a nice step up from ME2 and the story was very emotional and gripping. The quest tracker, however, is pretty horrible and there were a few too many fetch quests but otherwise, thoroughly enjoyed it, even the ending which I thought was a fitting conclusion to a superb trilogy. Expand
  68. Apr 5, 2014
    By far my favourite game, and with the best ending ever. Having to go on Youtube to understand it - the whole choice-thing being part of a process of indoctrination that's been going on since Shepard first saw the child in the vent and all that - it took a few minutes to realize that it was in fact not the worst ending ever, but the most sophisticated. All in all, this is probably as closeBy far my favourite game, and with the best ending ever. Having to go on Youtube to understand it - the whole choice-thing being part of a process of indoctrination that's been going on since Shepard first saw the child in the vent and all that - it took a few minutes to realize that it was in fact not the worst ending ever, but the most sophisticated. All in all, this is probably as close to perfection as you're ver going to get when it comes to video game stories. Expand
  69. Mar 31, 2014
    Let's call this game what it is, a POS game. From the the word go Shepard's fate is sealed. Bioware spit in my face and kicked me in the groin. All my choices were rendered meaningless. In ME 2 an Arsai told me the rachni " Would burn clean the sky." I thought this meant they would come save me when things seemed hopeless. In other words they were the key to defeating the Reapers. BiowareLet's call this game what it is, a POS game. From the the word go Shepard's fate is sealed. Bioware spit in my face and kicked me in the groin. All my choices were rendered meaningless. In ME 2 an Arsai told me the rachni " Would burn clean the sky." I thought this meant they would come save me when things seemed hopeless. In other words they were the key to defeating the Reapers. Bioware "fixed the problem" when they killed most of them off by the Reapers.

When I first read about Mass Effect Bioware had just finished Knights of the Old Republic. They were making a trilogy where your actions in all three games would affect the ending in third one. Bioware lied to me to the tune of 160 bucks. They only gave one ending with four options. In order to have your actions truly affect the ending, a happy ending has to be possible. The extended cut DLC is nothing more then damage control and selling Mass Effect 4. For me though, Bioware has noway to correct the mess they made. I can only hope they pissed off enough people so there is no Mass Effect 5.
  70. Mar 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Anyone who gives this game a good review is being payed to do so.

Mass effect 3 could not be a worse conclusion to the story if Bioware had tried.

This game has really put me off buying from E.A ever again. E.A's new game titanfall, can sit on the shelf until a sale comes along because i now refuse to pay full price for games anymore. Now i wait until a steam sale.

I genuinely believe that somebody in E.A decided that it would not be cost efficient to produce a decent game and instead convinced everyone to produce a game that was quick and poor quality because lets face it, the fans will buy the game regardless. Fans have already invested in the other two games so who cares about this one lets make the game as cheap as possible and maximize profits.

I cant believe that in the second game you have an extremely advanced ship with A.I computers and for some reason, you don't have a camera installed so you can prove to the rest of the galaxy that the reapers are coming so get prepared for war. Nope..that would be too simple. Instead you (the player) has to (for the second time) act like a diplomat to get other races on your side. Then to add insult to injury your crew, for the most part is gone...why? you just spent a whole game recruiting them, why wouldn't you use them in the third game you stupid fools!!

then there are the small things, like every time you go from one side of the ship to the other (the cic to the war room) you have to go past airport scanners....why????? your the captain for **** sake!!

This games not worth your time, so invest whatever time you have left on this planet into something else.
  71. Mar 18, 2014
    Mass Effect 3 was most defiantly a good game in the series. I enjoyed the gameplay, the choice making, story, and characters. Unfortunately, the ending will make you puzzled at the fact of why you couldn't do something different. The ending will most likely abandon the series as a lost cause. We could say to Bioware "There is always another way." Bioware probably knew this, but we areMass Effect 3 was most defiantly a good game in the series. I enjoyed the gameplay, the choice making, story, and characters. Unfortunately, the ending will make you puzzled at the fact of why you couldn't do something different. The ending will most likely abandon the series as a lost cause. We could say to Bioware "There is always another way." Bioware probably knew this, but we are dealing with the publisher EA Games. Expand
  72. Mar 16, 2014
    I'll try to make this short: if you are into ME games, you must buy this one. Simply because the game is pretty great. I'd risk saying its the best one of the series but the ending kinda killed the joy of many players around the world. Could've been better, but crap happens. Some people might understand it, some won't. Still, a great game and deserves the respect of being a good ME game.I'll try to make this short: if you are into ME games, you must buy this one. Simply because the game is pretty great. I'd risk saying its the best one of the series but the ending kinda killed the joy of many players around the world. Could've been better, but crap happens. Some people might understand it, some won't. Still, a great game and deserves the respect of being a good ME game. Hopefully EA/Bioware will learn from their mistakes and not screw up their next installment. By that I mean, not making redundant, bleak endings and launching day 1 DLC's. Expand
  73. Mar 15, 2014
    Игра супер, такого шедевра еще ни один производитель не сделал. Реалистичное РПГ общение, с выборами ответа влияющими на сюжет. Перенос сохранений из одной части игры в другую, а от сохранений зависит не только сюжет, но и персонажи кто жив а кто мертв, и многое другое. Еще забыл написать о красивой графике на лучшем игровом движке Unreal Engine.Игра супер, такого шедевра еще ни один производитель не сделал. Реалистичное РПГ общение, с выборами ответа влияющими на сюжет. Перенос сохранений из одной части игры в другую, а от сохранений зависит не только сюжет, но и персонажи кто жив а кто мертв, и многое другое. Еще забыл написать о красивой графике на лучшем игровом движке Unreal Engine.
  74. Mar 11, 2014
    I wish I could give it a 9.6. The -0.4 for an ending that stood in juxtaposition to one of the most masterful RPG gaming experiences so far. Similar mechanics to the 2nd, with less in common with the first. But the game is more than a rpg shooter with neat looking effects, it's among the best unique to video game narratives and should be played by anyone who likes science fiction,I wish I could give it a 9.6. The -0.4 for an ending that stood in juxtaposition to one of the most masterful RPG gaming experiences so far. Similar mechanics to the 2nd, with less in common with the first. But the game is more than a rpg shooter with neat looking effects, it's among the best unique to video game narratives and should be played by anyone who likes science fiction, involved dialogue, philosophy, social commentary. Expand
  75. Mar 11, 2014
    Certainly a mixed bag, Mass Effect 3 is a game which is disappointing in a multitude of aspects, ranging from the bland action orientated combat, massive plot holes and poorly written characters and quite possibly one of the worst endings I have ever experienced in gaming.
    After a tense and emotional introduction, the game quickly goes down hill. Shepard, a character whom you define, is whisked away on an epic space adventure to save the universe after the Reapers finally made it to the galaxy. Somehow, this entire time no one had listened to Shepard, even though there has been excellent reasons to, now everyone is boned.

After a game of boring combat (having chose my Infiltrator class who has been leveled up since the first game, I could one shot almost anytime of enemy in the game with a rifle), characters making stupid decisions and a forced character by the name of Kei-Lang, you finally reach the end...
    And oh boy... Did it suck.

Terrible ending aside, the game had some genuine sad moments, such as the deaths of some of my favorite characters... But overall, a weak passage and pals in comparison to the amazing previous installments.

Positives:
    Fun multiplayer.
    Multiple/difficult choices.
    Genuine sad moments.
    Great soundtrack.
    Ends multiple story lines and you get to say your final goodbyes.

Negatives:
    Boring combat.
    Plotholes... Plotholes EVERYWHERE.
    Poorly written side characters.
    Vague motives.
    Horrible quest tracker.
    And that ending.... THAT ENDING.

Overall: 6
  76. Mar 9, 2014
    Well what to say?
    Besides the bad ending and only 3 different choices who are quite the same Bioware created in my opinion the best part of the series.
    Its clear that they have failed how the three parts come together in the end but nearly everything from 1&2 was improved. The combat and skill system kicked ass. 10/10 (but only cause i leave out the ending, this is only for the
    Well what to say?
    The combat and skill system kicked ass.

10/10 (but only cause i leave out the ending, this is only for the gameplay and athmosphere)
  77. Mar 7, 2014
    I will never forgive EA for rushing the development of this game. It pains to think about what could have been.

However, I still give this game a 10 because in spite of its rushed development, this game is darn near perfection. Several of the most emotionally provocative moments in video game history are all in this game. I've never experienced such a grand storyline on such an epic scale. Thank you BioWare for the ride. I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it up until the end.

Thank heavens we at least got the extended cut that tied off so many of the stories and choices that were left totally absent from the original ending.
  78. Mar 6, 2014
    I got this game free for my Origin account as part of the debacle that was the release of SimCity. To make up for that mess, Origin gave us a choice of one free game. I chose Mass Effect 3.

Up till then I had Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 1. Though I have to admit I was never really a fan of Mass Effect 1, as I didn't discover it until way past it's due date. And by then the once top of the line graphics were horrendous to deal with.

However, I think Mass Effect 2 explains why so many people love this series. For it's time the graphics were amazing. The mini games which added to the fun were classic. You got to chose good or bad options. You got to choose your class and skill set, and upgrade as you saw fit. The team member stories were pretty good. And it was just a solid game.

So when I got Mass Effect 3, I had high expectations. However the reason I never purchased the game before was that I heard EA had dropped the ball on Mass Effect 3.

Now there are certainly things that were disappointing about Mass Effect 3. But these disappointments need to be tampered by whether your a fan of the series or not. Obviously disappointed fans of the series would give this game much harsher than needed reviews of the game. Which needs to be kept in mind, because if I had never played a Mass Effect game. Mass Effect 3 would be considered a 10 to me. But seeing the drop in quality from iMass Effect 3 compared to Mass Effect 2 I can understand some of the fans strong feelings against the game. And is the main reason I give the game only an 8.

In short Mass Effect 3 just is missing some of the core things which made the Mass Effect series so great. The mini games were gone. They tweaked the classes, mostly in a bad way. They all but eliminated the companions or team member side stories. They didn't really have tie ins with the team members you grew to love in the other stories. And then to add insult to injury the ending seems like EA was trying to put an abrupt end to the series.

So you need to understand that the majority of the bad reviews are from loyal fans of the series who felt they were robbed by the direction EA chose to go with the game for Mass Effect 3. Again as a stand alone game for someone new to the franchise it is definitely worth getting. But as the 3rd in the series it unapologetically tries to rip the heart of the franchise out and stomp on it. They probably imagined they would win all kinds of awards for a hardcore story. But instead made a lot of fans unhappy.

Fortunately EA tried to do some face saving and put in some patches that allow for some happy endings. Though it seems like you have to farm points to make that happen. And that takes away from the story. And story is one of the things Mass Effect is great at.

So even though Mass Effect 3 is not nearly as good as Mass Effect in my opinion. It is still a solid game. Just terribly disappointing if your a fan of the franchise.

The game is good enough to keep enjoying. I have all 3 on my computer. And purchased a cheap 1-3 Xbox 360 version. Also if your a fan of KOTOR the games are very similar. It's the freedom to choose the way you want to play, and the way your skills level up. Along with story, companion stories and fun mini games that makes these EA games so beloved.
  79. Mar 1, 2014
    0...There is nothing else you can give this travesty and attempt from EA to leech money out of their fans not thinking about the consequences. BioWare did everything wrong here: from unimportant and speedy sidequests to a toilet flush ending where NONE of the choices you made mattered(Please don't give us the crap about The Director's Cut DLC...BARELY made an impact and a little to late)0...There is nothing else you can give this travesty and attempt from EA to leech money out of their fans not thinking about the consequences. BioWare did everything wrong here: from unimportant and speedy sidequests to a toilet flush ending where NONE of the choices you made mattered(Please don't give us the crap about The Director's Cut DLC...BARELY made an impact and a little to late) Everything good that ME and ME2 managed to do with our Shepared experience was beaten to pulp and into submission by this horrendous closing to the Trilogy leaving me (and apparently half of the ppl that played it) a bitter aftertaste that's impossible to wash off.Well Done BioWare! Well Done EA! you can have your ME . That was not the game we came to love and enjoy. ME 4 is DEFINITELY going to be CoD clone! i am counting on that Expand
  80. Feb 27, 2014
    It's not perfect, but Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game. It improved on ME2 in several ways and took some steps back in others, but at its core, I feel like it's a slightly different kind of game. 2 had a very personal and intimate feel, assembling an elite team for a deadly mission. 3 is much more grand and sweeping in its scale and scope, and therefore has a less focused story.

The

The gameplay has seen a steady sense of improvement throughout the series (remember how awkward the first one was to actually play?) and the RPG elements make a more pronounced appearance in the third game, though it is still largely a shooter with some skill progression. The shooting mechanics are more fluid and the weapons and abilities more diverse. The sound design and voice acting are both fantastic (mostly), as is the art design.

As for the writing, I feel like the writers manage the the more intimate and moment-to-moment writing more effectively than the large, overarching plot. the way the Normandy's crew interact with each other and move around on board makes the ship feel much more alive than ever before. There were plenty of nice touches, from meeting old friends to little in-jokes and fan service. Unfortunately it seems like the team wrote themselves into a corner with all of the branching decisions in past games, and not all of them paid off in meaningful ways.

And finally, there's the ending. I didn't like it. I thought it was a cop-out and honestly it made next to no sense and was very thematically different from the rest of the story. It was unsatisfying and some of the fan-made theories that cropped up afterwards were much better. However, I respect the creative team's position and think that DEMANDING a new ending is childish and a sign of "gamer entitlement." The extended cut made the ending as good as it could have been without fundamentally changing it and in the end, it really is about the journey and not the destination. I had a blast playing though this game as well as the whole series. ten minutes of unsatisfying drivel at the end is a bummer, but this is still one of my favourite series of all time, and I wont let that ruin the hundreds of hours that I've poured into it.

All in all, this is a Mass Effect game and I can look past awkward design choices and some poor writing to just enjoy the ride and hope for more in the future.
  81. Feb 27, 2014
    The emotional journey more than make up for the ending :). L o v e. This game :D. :D. :D
  82. Feb 25, 2014
    Game is way over-hyped. Gameplay has been nerfed and the locations are not as exciting as Mass Effect 2. top it all off, the male-on-male love scenes are disgustingly inappropriate in my opinion. Dead Space is a better trilogy. Gamer beware.
  83. Feb 24, 2014
    This game is only for the series fans I guess.

I felt like it had unbearably long, and boring cutscenes every 5 minutes, and horribly linear gameplay with an illusion of a choice. Annoyingly consolish controls for not demanding players, operated basically by one button to cover/use did not help either. Graphics were pretty good so not a complete zero. But this game was so seriously
    This game is only for the series fans I guess.

Graphics were pretty good so not a complete zero. But this game was so seriously story oriented that in my case was just unplayable. I would rather spend that time watching good movie, than playing it as a video game.
  84. Feb 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An average score of 5/10 is ridiculous for a game this great.

The combat in this game is a vast improvement over the repetitiveness of ME2 and awkwardness of ME1. The enemies are numerous and varied and a true challenge requiring forethought on higher difficulties. Definitely the best gameplay experience in the series. Heck, the final battle on Earth (before the story takes nosedive) on the hardest difficult was one of the most tense and incredible battles I've ever fought in a video game!

As for the story: the majority was very well done and the characters and interactions between them are as compelling as ever. Would have liked to see more of some characters, but considering how many new ones they introduced in ME2, I can understand why that would be difficult.

The obvious glaring exception to the greatness of the story, and the reason for a 1 mark deduction, was the ending. I don't know how they could decide to go so wrong, but they had to realize making a mockery of your choices by virtually saying they were pointless, and giving you instead three "different" endings based on a superficial final choice was a bad idea. They basically gave you three different coloured, fix-all "easy buttons" and labelled it as choice, despite there really being a lack thereof. I remember thinking, prior to launch, that they better not introduce some giant fix-all weapon capable of killing all the Reapers in one go. Oops. When the Crucible was introduced in game, all I could think was "f---". There are also plot holes that come into play near the end, but they weren't game-ending for me and were MOSTLY fixed with the extended cut. Not even having the OPTION for Shepard to survive, however difficult to achieve, was a huge mistake. I don't want to be forced to sacrifice my character, I want to have the choice like in Dragon Age (where I ironically sacrificed my character). I also think ending Shepard's story with this trilogy was a bad decision. There is still more to explore with the characters we came to love. At least another trilogy.

While some criticized the lack of dialogue options, I really found it very similar to ME2, except for at the very beginning. So not sure what that's about. I really found most other aspects of ME3 to be superior to its predecessors. Multiplayer was surprisingly fun (though shouldn't have been connected to the main story the way it was).

I also deducted a point for the ridiculous prices on DLC. They cost at least double what they should. Citadel DLC was fantastic, but even it was overpriced. I just can't let outrageously priced DLC and game-altering microtransactions slide anymore.

Still, up until the final hour of gameplay, I'd rate ME3 as the best action-RPG I've played.
  85. Feb 23, 2014
    I liked the game, despite all of the hate, I still found the game very enjoyable. I know the decisions weren't as expansive which is a bit of a let down, but in regards to the over all game, I still enjoyed playing it. I still liked the endings, I do wish that they had more variance, but not to the point where I want to set the disc on fire and rage out. The multiplayer isn't the mostI liked the game, despite all of the hate, I still found the game very enjoyable. I know the decisions weren't as expansive which is a bit of a let down, but in regards to the over all game, I still enjoyed playing it. I still liked the endings, I do wish that they had more variance, but not to the point where I want to set the disc on fire and rage out. The multiplayer isn't the most polished, it needs work. It just feels clunky. I do agree that this game isn't as good as the last, but it is still worth playing. Expand
  86. Feb 21, 2014
    One of the best games I'm played. Definitely top 10 for me. The game play is fluid, intense, and fun, The story is a roller coaster of emotion that makes you care about every decision you make and care about the characters you've come to know and love throughout he trilogy. The original ending was the biggest flaw, but the extended cut and other released DLC made up for that. As with mostOne of the best games I'm played. Definitely top 10 for me. The game play is fluid, intense, and fun, The story is a roller coaster of emotion that makes you care about every decision you make and care about the characters you've come to know and love throughout he trilogy. The original ending was the biggest flaw, but the extended cut and other released DLC made up for that. As with most EA games, the release was rushed and thus the terrible original ending. Expand
  87. Feb 17, 2014
    Good game, letdown of an ending. The ending alone (along with the fact that some of the previous companions aren't companions in this on) is enough to knock it down a couple of points. But combine that with the Day One DLC and you have another shameful display by EA. Come on EA, stop buying good game developers and leaching money off of them and the consumers. That being said, this isGood game, letdown of an ending. The ending alone (along with the fact that some of the previous companions aren't companions in this on) is enough to knock it down a couple of points. But combine that with the Day One DLC and you have another shameful display by EA. Come on EA, stop buying good game developers and leaching money off of them and the consumers. That being said, this is still, in no shape or form, a bad game (despite the **** ending). Expand
  88. Feb 14, 2014
    Came back to this after a couple of years thinking that the ending is what ruined the game for me the first time around. After going through the end this time around I can honestly say that this game got it's correct score in the user review and not in the critic review.
    Nothing about this game would have made me keep playing it until the end were it not for how good the first two were and my wishful thinking that maybe it will get better.
    The value of this game can be seen in the fact that you can get if for about the same price as the second in the series. The difference is the latter has a lot of great DLC that server only to improve the game immeasurably,
    FYI. The 1 is for Mordin, the only thing that can be salvaged as far as i can tell
  89. Feb 12, 2014
    Played: Jan 2014
    Pros:
    + Actually wraps up the Mass Effect story arc + Inventory compromises between simplicity (ME2) and variety (ME1) + Additional Ending content is free Cons: - Character models don’t look updated from ME2 - Some items are highly missable and a bug seems to keep some from appearing in a store if missed I was introduced to the series through Mass Effect 2, which
    Played: Jan 2014
    Pros:
    + Actually wraps up the Mass Effect story arc
    + Inventory compromises between simplicity (ME2) and variety (ME1)
    + Additional Ending content is free
    Cons:
    - Character models don’t look updated from ME2

I was introduced to the series through Mass Effect 2, which offered some significant streamlining to make gameplay more fun than its predecessor. I eventually played ME1, but based on reviews I’d read I didn’t want to splash out $60 for ME3 so it was some time before the price came down to what I was comfortable paying.
    I’m glad I waited. While the story arc is completed with reasonable effectiveness, it features at least one prominent fallacy that I found somewhat insulting to my intelligence. After some public outcry, Bioware released some (free) additional content to explain the results of your end-game choice-and it’s a good thing it’s free, since it adds about 30sec of content. On the other hand, this series ending compares favorably compared with the non-endings featured in the string of Assassin’s Creed games by developer Ubisoft (up to you to decide if that comparison actually says anything).
    Gameplay mechanics are mostly solid, featuring a more flexible inventory that that presented in ME1, but still simplified enough that it doesn’t feel like a loot game: there are only about 5 options for each weapon type. The player can carry and use any type of weapon desired, however “heavy” weapons (anything not pistol or SMG) severely curtail use of powers. I played this on the default difficulty setting (apparently equivalent to the “Hard” setting on ME2) and only died a few times; even on death the checkpoint system allowed me to return to action and complete the game+90% of sidequests in about 50 hours. Relevant to gameplay is the occurance of “missable” items, which are supposed to appear in a special store if you fail to pick them up. Unfortunately, through some kind of bug or other problem, these items did not appear in store for me (I looked them up online to try to figure out how to complete the remaining quests). The rewards would have been small, but it is annoying to be missing a feature that is supposed to come with the game.
    There were a few things that I found even more disappointing. The character models feature the same faces and hairstyles as in previous games, and don’t appear to be any better rendered than previously. In the same vein, the pre-rendered cutscenes look as though they came straight from 2005 and it is something of a relief when they end and you are allowed to return to your machine's real-time rendering. In short: the graphics don’t seem to have improved at all since ME2, though why this would be the case is a mystery to me.
    IN SUMMARY:
    ME3 is a decent game to pick up if you like the idea of a shooter/RPG hybrid with a team. It is certainly worth the $15 or so EA games is currently charging, but still suffers from some pitfalls and you shouldn't pay more for it.
  90. Feb 11, 2014
    I really want to give this game a 10. Or I really did want to.
    I do not think this game deserves a 0-5 because of the ending alone, like so many people are doing here. The whole game was very emotional and the connections between characters has never been stronger.
    I really want to give this game a 10. Or I really did want to.
    I do admit that I cried in the ending, but at the time I thought I just got the bad ending and that I had to make better choices next time. But nope, it turned out that that wasn't the case.
    Like so many others, I was left hugely disappointed. But after having accepted the fact that that's the way it ends, I have seen this game in a whole new positive light.
    I also want to mention the official soundtracks. They're simply amazing, full of emotions and tension.

Overall, Mass Effect 3 may not be the best in the series, but it's certainly not a bad game. Everything about it is great except the last 15 minutes.
  91. Feb 10, 2014
    a wonderful game and great ending to the trilogy. the story follows you as you try to find support from the other races of the galaxy to try to fight the reapers. the story, as usual is great,however i disliked the lack of loyalty missions that were in mass effect 2, as well as the much smaller team you have at your disposal, limiting your choices of squadmates. the graphics are top notcha wonderful game and great ending to the trilogy. the story follows you as you try to find support from the other races of the galaxy to try to fight the reapers. the story, as usual is great,however i disliked the lack of loyalty missions that were in mass effect 2, as well as the much smaller team you have at your disposal, limiting your choices of squadmates. the graphics are top notch as well, as well as the game-play, aside from a few minor glitches i found. along with the single player, there is a surprisingly enjoyable co-op multiplayer mode, where you and up to 3 other people fight waves of enemies across various locations in the galaxy. the enemy faction variants are cerberus, geth, collector, and reaper. playing the co-op mode increases galactic readiness percentage, which in short, allows you to use more of your forces in the final push. Expand
  92. Feb 5, 2014
    A truly great ending to the Mass Effect trilogy. The extended endings help though, since it’s easier to understand what happened. Seen the original endings and they truly were identical, the new ones feel better.
    All in all, all the third game felt like a great finale to the Shepard trilogy. Definitely makes the trilogy end on a high note.
    Now, on to Mass Effect 4.
  93. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gameplay - Great
    Characters - Great
    Pretty much a good Mass Effect game until you reach the ending, which is largely BSed and the same.

Also, the Extended Edition ending may possibly be even worse than the originals.
  94. Jan 25, 2014
    The good and bad of Mass Effect 3:

Good: 1. Vastly improved levelling system that gives a noticeable upgrade with every skill point added. 2. Much more weapon variety. 3. Good weapon modding. Bad: 1. Terrible controls which rely on one button for virtually every action. Attempting to use an object while moving often results in the character launching themselves across the room or
    The good and bad of Mass Effect 3:

Good:
    2. Much more weapon variety.
    3. Good weapon modding.

Bad:
    1. Terrible controls which rely on one button for virtually every action. Attempting to use an object while moving often results in the character launching themselves across the room or getting out of cover, also no crouch button means the character sometimes stands up in the middle of fire-fights.
    2. Stupid ally AI. Allies are happy to stand out of cover while getting shot at, disappear in the middle of fights or refuse to shoot at enemies.
    3. Levelling is way too fast. In the first mission for example I increased my level three times.
    4. Side missions are boring. The majority of side missions involve jumping to a sector and right clicking a few times. These are necessary for game completion and a real chore.
    5. Player interaction is limited. Much crew interaction does not occur in cut-scenes and player has no control over their own responses. Dialog during missions is within cut-scenes but player still does not get to choose as many responses as in previous games. A Cynical person might assume this problem is due to laziness on the writers/animators part.
    6. Non player characters are boring. Character development appears to have taken a back seat in this game as both new and returning characters have little to say. The only interesting development I caught was jokers relationship but I managed to miss its resolution.
    7. Decisions in previous games appear to have little impact.
    8. Terrible level design. Levels are designed in a boxy arena style and clearly just recycled multiplayer maps, recycled so lazily as to have loads of ammo caches everywhere.
    9. Mandatory multiplayer. In order to get a good ending player is required to play multiplayer battles. This effectively precludes players with poor internet from experiencing some of the single player content.
    10. Dull, dull, dull combat. Most of the interesting enemies appear to have been removed: In combat I have mostly just faced a load of dudes with progressively bigger guns.
    11. Plot points from previous games are ignored. Shepard appears to answer to the alliance now when he was a spectre in the previous game for example.

There are tonne more issues but really it all boils down to this: In attempting to broaden their customer base Bioware have turned the most exciting and deep RPG/FPS ever into a complete mess with little appeal to lovers of either genre. Both of the prequels I have played many times, including all the DLC, but ME3 was only good enough to get me to play until about five minutes into the final mission once.

A huge disappointment.

(also my characters run animation makes her look like she has sh** her pants)
  95. Jan 18, 2014
    An absolutely terrible end to a great series. Reeks of a company trying to expand the target market of their game at the worse possible time and without taking proper concern as to the affect it would have on the game.

Many of the original choices and decisions you make in previous game are not addressed and completely forgotten. The introduction of new character undermine existing ones and have zero depth.

Gameplay is largely the same though let down by very far behind the times graphics and laughable animations.

Bioware made a power play for the market when joining with EA and releasing 3 utterly abysmal games in TOR, ME3 and Dragon Age 2. These have pretty much condemned their reputation with the gaming community and undone over a decade of hard work from the company.

Sad and poor.
  96. Jan 12, 2014
    Excellent game with much a more fluid combat experience than the previous 2 games.

The Good: - Customisation is much improved over ME2. The number of weapons available has been greatly increased to roughly 8 per category and the upgrade system includes weapon mods/attachments. Amour is very customisable with interchangeable parts and a much more user-friendly customisation interface

The Good:
    Amour is very customisable with interchangeable parts and a much more user-friendly customisation interface than ME2

- Combat is much more fluid and ammunition isn't really a problem (no more 15 rounds total carrying capacity for a certain shotgun) compared to ME2. The addition of heavy melee is another factor to consider when choosing your class and adds more combos.

- Dialogue and voice acting is very well done overall, often times making up for the number of plot holes

- Probably the best soundtrack of the series

The Bad:
    - Lacks a decent inventory system: Picking up 1 weapon and being able to equip everybody with it makes it seem more shallow than ME1. In addition, not being able to sell items of any sort takes away from the role-playing experience

- Side missions have very little reward and offer very little replay value. When they do have a useful function, they usually end up being tedious and are too simple to actually feel like a mission (Sometimes very close to being as short as the cutscene and dialogue that introduces the mission)

- The plot has many holes in it and none of the DLCs fix these issues; rather just add more holes. Skip this game if you require a somewhat believable story. SIDE NOTE - there is a community edited cinematic ending that greatly improves the experience

- Squad AI is still terrible and the limited interactions you can do with them just makes them a distraction so you don't die too quickly
  97. Jan 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A stupid Deus Ex machina ending, that deviates from the history, that make you sad after playing. If you play since the first one, you will fell betrayed. Expand
  98. Jan 8, 2014
    In this third and final release, slowly the narrative coherence of Mass Effect eroded, until near the end, at a fast pace it completly crumbled.
    In ME2 you could say that the villains were unjustified and meaningless in a narrative sense, you could say that choices, events and positions were forced into your character and many were literally asspulls, but at least ME2 provided plenty of well written and thoughtful content in the form of loyality missions for example, to couterbalance this. In ME3 there is no such thing and what starts as a contrived, average to bad story, end as a complete mess with giant holes where obviously the writers or devs didn't know what they were doing.
    Or if you played Deus Ex 1, a classical and mind-blowing game unlike ME3, you'll simply know that ME3 ending is a rip off, out of thone, feel and athmosphere from the rest of ME series and even from the rest of the third game itself, not addressing any of the questions and propositions that the ending should address.
    Mission after mission asspulls are thrown at the player and they are supposed to contain core elements of the narrative without any connection with the previous games. "Oh, you know, we found the ancient plans to this super-weapon, we don't even know what it does, but it's our only hope! Why didn't I mention these ancient plans before? I don't know", "Oh, the genophage was stabilished as a necessary evil, was even fully approached in a previous game? Too bad, let's use it again in the narrative in a total different way!", "You reproggammed heretic Geths? Nah, it didn't change anything!", "Forget Ilos and the Conduit, forget Haelstrom!" and so on, with even poorer resolutions than before, sometimes even with implausible forever happy conclusions, where magically everything worked out for everyone and butterflies and rainbows are in the sky.
    As for other aspects, some can be praised: they finally fleshed out powers, cooldowns and shields/armors/barriers, even adding power combos, making the gameplay as a pure adept or as an enginner very interesting. Too bad the game fail to explain this and you are supposed to search in the internet for a guide to which power detonates the other and what defense is vulnerable to what power (for example, energy drain is useless against armor, carnage is useless against shield, etc). The combat system is finally fun and interesting if you have patience to micromanage your squadmates, because they are useless otherwise and never use the proper powers if left by themselves.
    Other aspects must be criticized: the missions journal is confusing and doesn't match the missions name in the galaxy map, the weapons customization is dumbed down and mostly useless, upgrading equipment is a chore, side missions are utterly boring and repetitive, re-using multiplayer maps and the same mission model (active console A, hold postion B, etc), there are plenty and I mean plent of bugs even so long after release, sometimes advancing the main plot makes side missions expire and several, several characters are out of character or at least with very poorly written lines. The game feels short and I wonder if this is because they decided to focus on multiplayer instead.
    Unlike ME2, I can't recommend any DLC except for Javik. Citadel is cringe worthy and apparently made for 15 years old, Leviathan is stupid, inspired by movies such as Abyss and presents more implausible asspulls than answers, Omega is boring and will make you skip full dialogues out of boredom.
    ME3 is so bad that makes ME1 a master piece in comparison, it'll age bad and be a waste of your time. I recommend reading the relevant plot in wikis and skip this game.
    Too bad they are making a 4th installation, I predict a even worse product.
  99. Jan 5, 2014
    I did not played this before extended cut expansion DLC so i don't know old ending. The game is a fair Mass effect game its content may not be as rich as ME2 but it is fun to play as a continuation.
  100. Mar 6, 2012
    As a big fan of multiple RPGs, and fan of the first two Mass Effect games, this game does not live up to current RPG standards. The plot is unusually boring, the gameplay is surprisingly lacking, the graphics and animations have barely been touched since ME2, and worst of all the game's ending is the biggest let down I've witnessed in years. The most outrageous thing about ME3 is that theAs a big fan of multiple RPGs, and fan of the first two Mass Effect games, this game does not live up to current RPG standards. The plot is unusually boring, the gameplay is surprisingly lacking, the graphics and animations have barely been touched since ME2, and worst of all the game's ending is the biggest let down I've witnessed in years. The most outrageous thing about ME3 is that the day one downloadable content contains information that is crucial to the series as a whole. This game was the biggest letdown to me in years, and I almost feel as if I have been ripped off. Collapse

1. Apr 11, 2012