7.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1932 Ratings

1. Jun 3, 2012
    Excellent continuation of the cult franchise. Great game. Bravo Rockstar.
    Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours.
    Max payne has always been my favourite game but i
    Excellent continuation of the cult franchise. Great game. Bravo Rockstar.
    Max payne has always been my favourite game but i was a little worried about the third part bcoz it wasnt remedy making the game but no disrespect to Rockstar they are awesome specially i thnk so after playing max payne 3 it is an awesome game great story driven action heart pumping gameplay and brilliant multiplayer i must say i am thrilled after playing it and have to say rockstar have not let us down again and hasnt let the game die instead has made it famous.
    Bravo Rockstar.
  2. Jul 4, 2012
    A Great game with good optimization, the story and the mechanics are excellent and cinematic are brillant make you feel the pain and the emotions of Max Payne 3 feel like Max Payne and its Max Payne 3, Rockstar Games Make a great job with this game and some bugs or consolers reviews can change this, The PC version is better
  3. Jun 4, 2012
    I am a huge fan of the first two in the series and had high expectations for this. What rockstar have done is absolutely fantastic. They captured Max and his personality dead on. The story was interesting, the gameplay flowed amazingly, the cut scenes rolled in and out like a symphony. The soundtrack was on beat and matched the setting perfectly. Graphically looked incredible on my gtx680I am a huge fan of the first two in the series and had high expectations for this. What rockstar have done is absolutely fantastic. They captured Max and his personality dead on. The story was interesting, the gameplay flowed amazingly, the cut scenes rolled in and out like a symphony. The soundtrack was on beat and matched the setting perfectly. Graphically looked incredible on my gtx680 and ran with no issue at all. Cannot wait for more PAYNE if it will be of this quality. Well done Rockstar. Well done. Expand
  4. Jun 4, 2012
    Superb game! Very close to a movie masterpiece. Awesome gameplay, dialogs, story and graphics. Of course some may find that there are too many cutscene, but u can always jump them. One of the best game of the last years. The pc version i trieed is very good, only 2 crashes in a lot of our of gameplay. Very, very good Rockstar!
  5. Jun 3, 2012
    A+ Single Player (ofcourse free aim)
    with an A grade Multi-Player (free aim as well)

Gorgeous graphically, engaging story and gameplay, wonderful mechanics; and most of all- Does Max Payne franchise JUSTICE and perhaps past nostalgia is the greatest of the series. Must buy. GOTY candidate!
  6. BMF
    Jun 4, 2012
    I have been waiting for Max Payne 3 for a long time and it didnt disapoint. The story is excellent the graphics and sound are both PC quality and the combat plays out with some of the best ragdoll physics and blood effects I have ever seen. The game can get brutaly hard at some points but I never wanted to give up and im still craving more after beating the storyline.
  7. LMW
    Jun 3, 2012
    All I can say is that it is a great, high quality game. However, just keep in mind, that Max Payne 3 has little in common with previous games of that franchise. There is no noir, murky-cold atmosphere, where hope was lost forever. There is also no tragedy, no characters you really miss after their death - almost nothing what made Max Payne and Max Payne 2 so special and memorable. If thatAll I can say is that it is a great, high quality game. However, just keep in mind, that Max Payne 3 has little in common with previous games of that franchise. There is no noir, murky-cold atmosphere, where hope was lost forever. There is also no tragedy, no characters you really miss after their death - almost nothing what made Max Payne and Max Payne 2 so special and memorable. If that doesn't scare you and you are ready for a great, but not authentic Max Payne game - welcome aboard! Great dynamical shooting, nice-looking cutscenes (lots of them), not the worst story (as I said, not much of Max Payne though), vivid high-quality picture and action-apt music / sound effects. Expand
  8. unK
    Jun 2, 2012
    It's a different game from Max Payne 1 and Max Payne 2. That being said, it's quite a short game, about 6 hours (on medium). This game is like an interactive film. You can pause every millisecond of the action, not very useful btw. Technically, this pc version is really enjoyable. There are lot of graphics options, high-resolution textures, animations and effects (the attention put intoIt's a different game from Max Payne 1 and Max Payne 2. That being said, it's quite a short game, about 6 hours (on medium). This game is like an interactive film. You can pause every millisecond of the action, not very useful btw. Technically, this pc version is really enjoyable. There are lot of graphics options, high-resolution textures, animations and effects (the attention put into the details is truly insane!). Now the gameplay. I think the gameplay is nice, well by default it's ok, mouse works like a charm, you even have a little tutorial at beginning... where it is more complicated is in the Multiplayer. There a lots of movements Max can do, he also can throw grenades, make rolls, use bullet-time, and get some tiny time to aim!
    The cinematic experience is good. Definitely above any classical scenario.
    The whole game is great, but they missed the masterpiece, at least for me.
  9. Jun 4, 2012
    I was greatly surprised by my play through of Max Payne 3. All the elements that made the older games great were still present. It was a great example as to why games do not need sandboxes in order to be great. The old fashion scripted game play worked magnificently in the gritty story that is Max Payne 3. From the moment you pick up the action it's a heated ride from start to finish. TheI was greatly surprised by my play through of Max Payne 3. All the elements that made the older games great were still present. It was a great example as to why games do not need sandboxes in order to be great. The old fashion scripted game play worked magnificently in the gritty story that is Max Payne 3. From the moment you pick up the action it's a heated ride from start to finish. The story transitions tie each scene together nicely, with zero loading screens I might add. The overall graphics do look amazing but I've grown to expect that with games made by large studios like Rock Star these days. The game play mechanics that make Max Payne stand out worked very well. The bullet time was easy to use as well as the cover and the environmental objects you can use to turn the tide of battle. I've heard complaint of not being able to play through story again because of heavy scripting but I just haven't seen that in my second play through. The enemies appear to react to what is going on around them and have made playing through a second time just as rewarding an experience.

Truthfully this is a solid game on it's own. I have yet to try out the multiplayer yet, but as it stands on single player, I would recommend this game to any action hero fan.
  10. Mar 20, 2013
    this has nothing to do with the original Max Payne 1 and 2. it's basically a bundle of cutscenes with occasional shooting. it's really embarrassing to call this thing a game. a game is something i would like to play, not to watch.
  11. Jun 21, 2012
    Rockstar Games continue the amazing franchise with their awesome game making skills, and they made this game almost perfect, and it fits right in the series.
    The thing I liked the most about this game was that they didn't **** up even one thing, it still feels like a Max Payne game, it's a third person shooter, bullet time is there, the game is as ground breaking as all the games for their time, storyline is great, Max Payne's voice actor is still doing his awesome job, ****ing Captain Baseball Bat Boy is in the game, the game is very fun and best of all; it's challenging.
    The graphics, animation and sound quality is probably the best I've seen so far and everything works just flawless.
    If you are a Max Payne fan, WHAT THE **** ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! Get this game!
  12. Jun 18, 2012
    This is the best thing ever, I simply cannot fathom the level of amazingness within this entire thing; it's simply orgasmic in all aspects (well maybe no smell, but it's pretty damn close.)
  13. Jun 10, 2012
    This is really a Max Payne game. I love it to bits. I am about 3/4 of the way through now and my only worry is a ME3 type ending which will just spoil the entire thing. The game really shows Max's typical Noir side and how he sees the dark side of everything even though he is actually fighting to defend it by protecting the family. The fighting is fast paced with breakable cover - I justThis is really a Max Payne game. I love it to bits. I am about 3/4 of the way through now and my only worry is a ME3 type ending which will just spoil the entire thing. The game really shows Max's typical Noir side and how he sees the dark side of everything even though he is actually fighting to defend it by protecting the family. The fighting is fast paced with breakable cover - I just hate it when game play is stale with unbreakable cover - and if you use bullet time with it can equate to some amazing moves and matrix style action (Max should be renamed to Neo imo :P). I have played the other 2 Max Paynes so to see the flash backs and the cut scenes associated with them was really nice, you really have to play the other games to understand his Noir and history and a lot of the dialogue (such as the Mona references). On a modern beefed up PC like mine it plays so smoothly on super high gfx and the effects the game has are unbelievable, the scenes look just as stunning as well, almost life like at times (much better than BF3 or whatever). The loading time for my game....well I get none so I can't really talk about that. Cut scenes could be skippable but tbh I play on a difficulty that matches my skill so I have no problems there and neither will you if you do the same. If you MOVE around you will find the game is quite good at utilising cover while making it challenging to make sure your enemies don't flank you (office areas are an example in this game). Coming back to the effects it really shines on those little things like picking up a gun while running, it's these little effects that really bring the fighting to life and makes you feel a part of it all. For me the gaming isn't too scripted, not any more than previous Max Paynes (yes this is Max Payne 3 not some other first-of-the-series game...) and honestly, I like the scripted action, it adds to the fact that Max's life always seemed to read from a horror movie script. I like how the game also sometimes forces you into situations your sane enough to not get into but Max isn't; remember Max is a guy on the edge so jumping into the center of some bad guys isn't unlike him and I like how the game throws you in and expects you in a moments notice be able to fight like a bad ass instead of a camper. I also like the unpredictability of some fights, like you think Max is gonna neatly cover behind some canisters but they fall over, suddenly your moving on a crane up having to shoot all the bad guys as you do. All this and more makes Max Payne 3 an awesome game in my view and a deserving sequel. Expand
  14. Jul 17, 2012
    I really think it's interesting that people complain about loading time, difficulty, and the inability to skip cutscenes.

It's a big game people, the graphics need to be loaded. It's 30 gigabytes because of the amount of graphics. If you think this game is hard, then you need help, try playing the first two games, those were hard. The fact that it's not an open world shooter is part of the Max Payne gameplay, it's not GTA, it's a story driven shoot-everything-that-moves bullet fest. Sure there is cover, but there's not recharging health which occupies so many games today. The graphics are very impressive and the gameplay is solid. Rockstar did a good job with the controls seeing as I never had to touch the options section.

The reason there are long cutscenes is because the game is loading behind them, I for one prefer something to look at while the game is loading rather than a little bar or spinning circle.

Based on what people are saying, they need to go play the first games before writing another review.

Graphics 10/10
    Gameplay 10/10
    Story 10/10
    Replayability 10/10

Overall one of the best games I've played this year.
  15. Jun 25, 2012
    This has to be one of the best games i have ever played. I feel vomit crawling up the back of my throat when i see people complaining about cutscenes for the reason that its a story based shooting game and besides, the cutscenes were gorgeous with a twisted story that i found spectacular. Although it was clearly meant for consoles, the pc version ran smooth as a babys buttcheeks bar a fewThis has to be one of the best games i have ever played. I feel vomit crawling up the back of my throat when i see people complaining about cutscenes for the reason that its a story based shooting game and besides, the cutscenes were gorgeous with a twisted story that i found spectacular. Although it was clearly meant for consoles, the pc version ran smooth as a babys buttcheeks bar a few flickering issues.
    On a more negative point i found the character design a bit sloppy in regards that the only real max feeling came from the voice acting. Personally i think going bald was a big nono for max.
    Other than that, the mind blowing engine that physicly models each bullet, the weapon detail, the destruction, the graphics, the multiplayer and of course bullet time are all executed perfectly by rockstar. I couldnt rate this game higher. Not feeling completely like a max payne game wasnt an issue for me because what it became was something far superior.
  16. Jun 9, 2012
    I'm on my third play through.. The first time was a bit of a chore.. the second time, it started growing on me.. the third time, I started pulling off insane manuvers.. clearing room fulls of goons in a single strategic bullet time dive..

Its a deceptively simple gameplay mechanic.. Easy to get into, tough to master, consistently brilliant. Game of the year.
  17. Jun 10, 2012
    First of all I have to say that I am a great fan of Max Payne 1 and especially 2. The story - is the main point in computer games for me. Speaking about the story in Max Payne 3 - I can say that it is terrible and moreover I dont like the long cut scenes aswell.The fights in the game are brilliant but they become a bit boring in the end.The multiplayer is just ok - nothing more.I haven'tFirst of all I have to say that I am a great fan of Max Payne 1 and especially 2. The story - is the main point in computer games for me. Speaking about the story in Max Payne 3 - I can say that it is terrible and moreover I dont like the long cut scenes aswell.The fights in the game are brilliant but they become a bit boring in the end.The multiplayer is just ok - nothing more.I haven't excepted anything from Max Payne 3 but i must say - the game is nice but i dont really like it. Expand
  18. Jun 11, 2012
    Great game, better than modern,amazing gameplay,nice graphics,unique optimization,The game run fine in dx11,this game everyone should to try! Good job Rockstar,buy this game now!
  19. Jun 20, 2012
    New game from Rockstar become a new word in genre third-person shooter. New developers added many new elements of gameplay, make excellent graphics and animation. And many many different details. Max Payne... He is really come back.
  20. Jun 22, 2012
    Fantastic game. I have been a fan since the start and I was pleasantly thrilled at the outcome. Solid gameplay and I love the new setting. Adds some spice to the game while keeping to its low down roots. The Mulitplayer is great majority of the times, but there have been server issues with disconnections and resets. Only downfall I have seen for such an outstanding game.
  21. May 11, 2013
    I give it a big goose egg (0). I shouldn't have to go into all my modem settings just to get the game that I bought to work.
    I have no other problems with online games unless I try to activate this game on "Rockstar Social".
    It's absolutely ludicrous. I've observed other people with this problem as well. Rockstar can kiss my ass because I will not buy another game from them with this
    It's absolutely ludicrous.
    I've observed other people with this problem as well.
    Rockstar can kiss my ass because I will not buy another game from them with this horrible service.
  22. Jun 16, 2012
    I don't know how many hours I've put into this game so far (a lot). This game blows my mind so hard in so many ways that I'll just start listing random awesome features. Visuals are STUNNING and the game runs like butter. The acting taken together with the cutscene animations of the characters make the dialogue so natural that you watch cutscenes slack-jawed. And, even as a Max PayneI don't know how many hours I've put into this game so far (a lot). This game blows my mind so hard in so many ways that I'll just start listing random awesome features. Visuals are STUNNING and the game runs like butter. The acting taken together with the cutscene animations of the characters make the dialogue so natural that you watch cutscenes slack-jawed. And, even as a Max Payne veteran (bought Max Payne 1 for $50 on Xbox 1) I will tell you that Rockstar innovated Bullet-time to be the most fascinating thing I've ever seen in a game. It never. Ever. Gets old. I don't think killing enemies in a video game will ever feel this satisfying, except in Max Payne 4. Rockstar implemented some awesome system where bullets blast these disgusting entry and exit wounds into people's heads, and wounds anywhere on the body spurt blood. And this is the single most replayable game I've ever played. The only things I would change are allowing players to hit a button to skip cutscenes to make replays of levels less annoying (but you definitely wanna see every cutscene the first time through). And in multiplayer they really need to remove the enemy nametags over people's heads, because I'm always shooting at nametags clear across the map and getting kills, and I know people are doing the same to me. Enjoy. Expand
  23. Feb 17, 2013
    Best of 2012! A work of art. Exquisite!
    Nothing to complain. They did everything right!
    Excellent visuals, outstanding playability, luxury atmosphere, compelling story.
    The work and dedication have its fruit and is called: Max Payne 3
    Thanks "Rockstar" by this superlative game!
  24. Jun 14, 2012
    Different?? Yes. But did Rockstar keep to the roots of Max?? YES! Does this game deserve a "0" rating?? NO not at all! '0" to me means NOTHING at all is good and that is certainly not the case with this addition to the Max series. Been in computing since the 70's and have a little idea of the internal makings of a game...Rockstar did their homework AND is following up as well to make for aDifferent?? Yes. But did Rockstar keep to the roots of Max?? YES! Does this game deserve a "0" rating?? NO not at all! '0" to me means NOTHING at all is good and that is certainly not the case with this addition to the Max series. Been in computing since the 70's and have a little idea of the internal makings of a game...Rockstar did their homework AND is following up as well to make for a great gaming experience. Don't like the cutscenes? I suppose we all loved the graphic panels in 1 & 2, because in my mind they are one and the same. Not going into particulars as the play-ability of the game speaks for itself. No 10 cause that means all perfect, but a strong 9 and the urge for all pc gamers to check this baby out!! Nice Rockstar...and Remedy agrees!! Expand
  25. Jul 6, 2012
    Good game series and story, but Max Payne 3 had a few glitches and issues where i died and shouldn't have. Plus the game was NOT worth $60, a very short game for that amount. Next time ill wait till its on sale.
  26. Aug 12, 2012
    I spend half an hour on registering to this Rocstar Game Club only to find out our beloved dark, noir, gritty Max Payne is now bright, happy, brazilian partyman with a love for uncotrollable screen effects that burned my retinas.
  27. Dec 30, 2012
    What can I say aside from rockstar created a master piece.. The cut scenes are awesome, story is kind of cool but I don't exactly like how max (the main character) goes out and continues to drink nearly every night but I guess its for the fun.. Well rockstar, you created a great game, i believe it was worth my $60 thank you
  28. Jan 20, 2013
    There is only two words I can use to describe this game are "masterpiece" and "epic". You're literally playing a movie with a great story. The mechanics are easy, approachable, and fluid. Was ported very well also.
  29. Jan 26, 2013
    I love this game. Although the gameplay is a some what repetitive, the story is amazing and the graphics beautiful. Bullet Time is better than ever and you will need it to stay alive, because this game is hard. The only thing that's wrong about the story is that almost everyone dies, but the rest of the story is perfect. I also think that this game has one of the most underratedI love this game. Although the gameplay is a some what repetitive, the story is amazing and the graphics beautiful. Bullet Time is better than ever and you will need it to stay alive, because this game is hard. The only thing that's wrong about the story is that almost everyone dies, but the rest of the story is perfect. I also think that this game has one of the most underrated multiplayer modes of all time, it's extremely deep and fun. Too bad almost no one plays it. If you like crime movies, good stories, slow motion and just a well made game, pick this one up. Expand
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    Fantastic, My favorite video game ever, great graphics and visual effects, a game-play that doesn't get boring or less amusing even after multiple game plays, and Max is the deepest, most depressing, most-living video game character I've ever played with.
  31. Apr 29, 2013
    Bullet time is just fun, the game is challenging in it's own right and it is fun. The Brazillian themes and level design really deserves the praise. Story keeps you interested long enough, although not being able to skip cutscenes might hinder some replayability but that was not too bothersome. It is a great game and worth your money especially if it is on sale.
  32. Jan 25, 2013
    After I played both prequels, I was worried they could have changed the meaning of payne like others did because the understanding of video games changed in the past few years. But, after all, I am very excited about what was produced by Rockstar and how they could connect the game to its prequels. The athmosphere is awesome. Seldom felt like being that in a game instead of sitting infrontAfter I played both prequels, I was worried they could have changed the meaning of payne like others did because the understanding of video games changed in the past few years. But, after all, I am very excited about what was produced by Rockstar and how they could connect the game to its prequels. The athmosphere is awesome. Seldom felt like being that in a game instead of sitting infront of a monitor and just playing. Music fits great to the surrounding and the story is one of that good old scool action hero movie style tales. I guess all most negative comments are written from guys who played the payne to relaxe or next to 2 or 3 other games. To get the best out of that game you have to treat it like a good book. Just enjoy it once in a while in the afternoon and play it chapter for chapter. Great stuff! Expand
  33. Feb 28, 2013
    It's a awesome Singleplayer experience. The Multiplayer is almost unplayable, because many server problems and a lot of settings, including the firewall.
  34. Feb 11, 2013
    The gameplay is good, but the camera confuses you sometime. The best part of the game is the story. The narrative in the game does not let the story vague. The voice of the Max demonstrates his loneliness.
  35. Mar 7, 2013
    I liked every single aspect of the game except the cover system....it is very lame...u h to be very precise bfor coming out or sum1 wil shoot u... the gameplay is totally awesome bt the cover system is the only reason i hv given it a 9...
  36. Sep 18, 2013
    Beats out all the other previous Max Paynes. The games great for the PC. Its beautifully optimised. Graphics are very detail and great. The gameplay is superb.
  37. Jun 15, 2014
    I'm simply amazed by the effort that Rockstar put into the development of the PC version. I have heard that this one is not a port, but a game that was simultaneously developed along with its console counterparts. By seeing the way Rockstar optimized this game for PC, I can, without a doubt, say that GTA V on PC is going to be pretty awesome.
  38. Jun 5, 2012
    Absolutely superb game. beautifully optimised for PC with loads of lovely DX11 goodness added. Wonderful looking game and every bit the Max Payne I wanted it to be. If you liked the first two you must get this. Good to plaY!@!!
  39. Jun 8, 2012
    luls i have to respond to that first of all look at the requirements for the game rocco lol second your running a mac your mac was outdated the day you bought it and a 512mb hd 6750 what is that a joke 1gb is the standard and that 6750 prolly only has 128-bit of gddr5 prolly why you having problems there bud gg man gg get it on console or sumthing stop trying to game with a proprietaryluls i have to respond to that first of all look at the requirements for the game rocco lol second your running a mac your mac was outdated the day you bought it and a 512mb hd 6750 what is that a joke 1gb is the standard and that 6750 prolly only has 128-bit of gddr5 prolly why you having problems there bud gg man gg get it on console or sumthing stop trying to game with a proprietary device.. games are just gonna keep getting better dude so of course its gonna make you buy a newer hardware why you think consoles get outta date so fast i would tell you to buy a newer gpu but seeing as its an apple device imma go with gl hf... and fyi my nintendo gamecube could run diablo 3 on high lol everything can its just not a graphical game Expand
  40. Jun 3, 2012
    The first question everyone asked themselves, is it going to be another console port? Well it runs smooth for me so it has been optimized well but sometimes it sucks up all my memory so then the game crashes... I'm a hardcore Max Payne fan, and I've been waiting for this game a long time. I've completed it on medium, I've tried out the multiplayer so here's my review. The single player isThe first question everyone asked themselves, is it going to be another console port? Well it runs smooth for me so it has been optimized well but sometimes it sucks up all my memory so then the game crashes... I'm a hardcore Max Payne fan, and I've been waiting for this game a long time. I've completed it on medium, I've tried out the multiplayer so here's my review. The single player is good fun, and it lasted about 7 hours for me. The weapons are nicely done, and the graphics are pretty good. I would had given this a 9 or a 10 if Rockstar didn't shove a huge amount of cutscenes in this game. You cant skip quite a few of them because it just says "Still Loading" when it should be clearly loaded in 5-10 seconds. It just goes, wave, cutscene, wave, cutscene. It's quite annoying since I want to kill stuff and blaze through the levels. As for the cover system its ok, it makes the game more tactical when to shoot and what weapon you'll use. I also hate that when you're being shot at, it makes it unclear where the bullets are if you're not in bullet time. If you're low on health then the enemies sometimes shoot and you have no time to react or anything. You just die. Also bullet time runs out so easily which is annoying, it needs to last longer. Multiplayer is good, it works. You can customize your models which is awesome. The shotgun is overpowered though in deathmatch... Aside from that, the game is pretty good. Its just that the cutscenes are mainly annoying. Expand
  41. Jun 6, 2012
    This is a great example of how videogames are made in 2012. This game has everything - superb action, great story, fascinating cutscenes, which make the game more like a movie than a game, perfect graphics and optimization, memorable soundtrack... This is the kind of game that can truly be regarded to as ART. The best 12 hours I've spent on a game in a long time.
    Multiplayer is also very
    Multiplayer is also very good and interesting, the idea of slowing down the time during an online play is brilliant. Looking at Alan Wake, I think if Remedy had the chance to make Max Payne 3 on their own, it would be almost the same game.
    And for those of you who didn't like the game because "it's not good old Max" - well, it shouldn't be good old Max, it's been almost 10 years, so if you don't like it - do better, Rockstar doesn't owe you anything. THIS is how you make games in 2012, baby! Well done, Rockstar!
  42. Jun 2, 2012
    As a long time Max Payne fan, I admit I was a bit dubious when I originally heard that Rockstar was taking over development of the series. I'm not a Rockstar fan. I've never understood the excitement over their games, as I've always found each of them very mediocre in many ways. Because of this, Max Payne 3 has been a wonderful surprise. All the elements of the previous Max Payne games areAs a long time Max Payne fan, I admit I was a bit dubious when I originally heard that Rockstar was taking over development of the series. I'm not a Rockstar fan. I've never understood the excitement over their games, as I've always found each of them very mediocre in many ways. Because of this, Max Payne 3 has been a wonderful surprise. All the elements of the previous Max Payne games are here. Bullet Time is very well designed to give you just the edge you need to survive the sometimes impossible situations, but does not make the game overly easy. I even enjoy the direction that they took Max's character in, as it makes his character seem more real. While Max may be the hero that can survive impossible odds, he does not win every time. Instead of being the stereotypical action hero who cannot lose no matter what the odds may be, Max doesn't always win.
    On another note, while I absolutely understand the complaints about the campaigns constant cut scenes and sometimes abrupt transitions back into the game play, I found it a fantastic storytelling technique. In many games, the transition from a cut scene to game play is very abrupt, and the cut scenes usually break immersion for me. With Max Payne 3, this is not the case. You easily transition from the third person prospective into a cut scene with ease. The only bad that I have noticed so far involve mostly technical issues. The PC release has more then a few that should have been fixed by the release of the game. While this isn't exactly a new situation for a Rockstar game, the games technical glitches do make it difficult to enjoy the game at times. Most of the technical issues do not seem to be present on the console versions of the game either. All in all, while this game may not be Remedy's Max Payne, I would still suggest this to anyone who enjoyed the first two games, although it may be worth waiting a few weeks for the PC version, at least, while Rockstar irons out the technical issues.
  43. Jun 5, 2012
    After having played the first 5 chapters in the last 100 minutes, all I can say is that this game might just be eligible to win the best 3rd person shooter of all time.. It may not have the noir-type story-line that the 1st installment had, but it makes up for it with brilliant gameplay, graphics, physics and pace..

The cutscenes which have been criticized by many, are actually a wise

The cutscenes which have been criticized by many, are actually a wise installment as they draw you away from the bloodshed for a while..

The girls in this game are HOT..!! Whatever one may say, this game is truly amazing.. The last 10 years seem so far away now.. Definitely the best game I have ever played, probably even better than Gears of War and Max Payne 1
  44. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Upon further playing I have come to realise this game is actually fantastic. Think about it Max was done in New Jersey and this was portrayed brilliantly in the flashback section of the game. All the nods to the previous games are a nice touch especially the piano playing. It leaves a few important things unanswered but it is somehow ok. Expand
  45. Jul 2, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game. I can go into detail about all the graphics, gameplay mechanics, story and so on, but all I will do is URGE you to go and buy this game immediately if you haven't already. Breathtaking, amazing, hypnotic, mesmerizing, indulging - I just love it, and I'm definitely going to play through it again!
  46. Jul 10, 2012
    I have been playing Max Payne from the beginning. This game is Aewsome! I don't want it to end. Ignore the haters.. just buy it. It is like you are in your own movie and performing. My Hat is off to rockstar on this one. Thanks guys!
  47. Jun 9, 2012
    With Max Payne 3, Rockstar has redeemed themselves in creating a flawless PC port after their luck with them turned sour. Amazing how a game that's dozens of times more eye-poppingly pretty than GTA4 has managed to run so optimized and smooth. Max Payne 3 is by far the best in the series, and is extremely cinematic, but I for one love that sort of thing. Story means a lot to me, but I seemWith Max Payne 3, Rockstar has redeemed themselves in creating a flawless PC port after their luck with them turned sour. Amazing how a game that's dozens of times more eye-poppingly pretty than GTA4 has managed to run so optimized and smooth. Max Payne 3 is by far the best in the series, and is extremely cinematic, but I for one love that sort of thing. Story means a lot to me, but I seem to find putting bullets in people more fun here than most other games. There is just a charm to MP3 that I can't shake. A magnificent offspring of Rockstar, and it makes me have great expectations from them (especially in the form of PC ports) in the future. Expand
  48. Jul 4, 2012
    Best game of 2012 thus far. Incredible story, solid gameplay and amazing art direction. R* may not have made Max Payne 3 dark and 'noir' enough for a lot of people; regardless, this is an extremely well crafted game in all aspects. Highly recommended.
  49. Jun 8, 2012
    Max Payne 3 flows seamlessly between gameplay and cut-scenes, now whilst the cut-scenes are rather arduous, the graphics are narrative are good enough to make it a worthwhile experience. Gameplay mechanics are fun and enjoying, with a side order of a varied arsenal of weapons that compliments the main meal beautifully. Multiplayer is reminiscent of GTA4's multiplayer but with a Max PayneMax Payne 3 flows seamlessly between gameplay and cut-scenes, now whilst the cut-scenes are rather arduous, the graphics are narrative are good enough to make it a worthwhile experience. Gameplay mechanics are fun and enjoying, with a side order of a varied arsenal of weapons that compliments the main meal beautifully. Multiplayer is reminiscent of GTA4's multiplayer but with a Max Payne style to it with enjoyable movements, bullet time and action.

Pros
    Fun gameplay
    Excellent textures and sounds
    Flows seamlessly
    Good story and narrative

Cons
    Cut-scenes can't be skipped
    Annoying when you die and you go back to 10 minutes ago, so you have to go through the same thing repeatedly.
  50. Jun 9, 2012
    Much was said about third installment of famous Max Payne. Here goes my point of view. Story, as much as its predictable or naive, has balls, and its truly mature. But story isnt the only things taht keeps you with your mouth open. Technically, the game is awesome ( i dont count some minor bugs), graphics together with physics make this game really 18+. We can divide sound into two parts :Much was said about third installment of famous Max Payne. Here goes my point of view. Story, as much as its predictable or naive, has balls, and its truly mature. But story isnt the only things taht keeps you with your mouth open. Technically, the game is awesome ( i dont count some minor bugs), graphics together with physics make this game really 18+. We can divide sound into two parts : Soundtrack and Voicecast -- both awesome. Together with story we get a multiplayer and arcade mode. Multiplayer, although it has soem bugs taht needs to be fixed is maybe even better than main storyline. Load of mods and a lot customizable characters/loadouts make it even more fun. All in all this game is great, and definietly worth the price ( bought for 49,99euro on steam - but i got copy of L.A.Noire for free) :) Expand
  51. Jul 1, 2012
    Absolutely incredible. This is the new generation. On my high end PC, connected to my big ass LCD, running maxxed out this game is the culmination of my whole life in video gaming. It is everything I've always imagined a game would one day be. Finally, the graphics are so over the edge that you can forget it is all computer generated. I heard it was based on the Rage engine, which ifAbsolutely incredible. This is the new generation. On my high end PC, connected to my big ass LCD, running maxxed out this game is the culmination of my whole life in video gaming. It is everything I've always imagined a game would one day be. Finally, the graphics are so over the edge that you can forget it is all computer generated. I heard it was based on the Rage engine, which if true is a completely positive thing for id software. The game runs silky smooth through boat races, quiet cut scenes and intense gun battles. I'll be replaying this one. Expand
  52. Jun 8, 2012
    Max Payne is no longer the noir-esque, comic book driven character he was in the first two games. In Max Payne 3, he is a balding, addicted mess and it really shows through his conversations and the numerous cutscenes strewn throughout the game. While some may find these scenes overbearing, I believe that it is a worthy investment to grow closer to the character you are journeying throughMax Payne is no longer the noir-esque, comic book driven character he was in the first two games. In Max Payne 3, he is a balding, addicted mess and it really shows through his conversations and the numerous cutscenes strewn throughout the game. While some may find these scenes overbearing, I believe that it is a worthy investment to grow closer to the character you are journeying through the game with, and ends up being a satisfying pay off. The setting of Sao Paulo is an interesting choice. Rockstar took a gamble with leaving the streets of New York and I truly believe that it paid off. Brazil is widely recognized for being riddled with violence, much as New York has been famous for in the past. The difference is, New York has been done time and time again by game, film studios and other media. The favellas of Brazil provide a refreshing change and are shown as a perfect proving ground for Max in his journey to self realization and catharsis. In the lowest point of the city, Max must find himself and see if he can release his accumulated baggage, and move forward to save countless people from the evils of the rich families. Max Payne 3 is a stellar game. With excellent actors, who communicate through voice and visuals a story of pain and suffering of one of the most interesting characters I have ever witnessed in my gaming history. You will want to travelwith Max on his journey of hardships, fully knowing the consequences of your actions. His moral dilemmas will become yours, and you will help him carry his burden, and suffer others deceit, through this fantastic title. Max Payne does something that most games dare not do, it thrusts you into a world that is **** and forces you to work with it, and never lets up. This is a game that should not be missed by any mature video game fan, and is a must buy in my opinion. Max Payne gets an A

youtube/blazingreview (My review has absolutely been gutted by MetaCritic and a much longer video review is coming up soon on my channel)
  53. Jun 9, 2012
    I am not familiar with previous editions of the game. But, on its own account, it surely deserves more than an 8.0 just for the excellent job that was done in terms of playability, graphics, and sound.
    This is no cheap port from console to PC. The game surely exploits the PC Hardware and delivers, finally, some playable tesselation. In fact, it offers about 3 different levels of tesselation. I was able to run the game all most on all the top specs without trouble ( intel 2600K plus 2 gtx 570).
    The story may not be up to some people's taste, but there is certainly a plot, consistent till the end. In addition, the game offers options for gamepad users, such as a "soft lock" feature that makes it easier to aim.
    Overall, the game is well diversified with different (very well represented) locations, an ok story, and good action. The studio didn't take lot's of risks, but that works both ways: they made sure that the final product was good right from the initial release. It offers something between modern warfare and batman (surely more like the former).
  54. Jun 21, 2012
    rockstar games.we all loved the beloved GTA4.Rockstar games is back again with a masterpiece in my book.the story line is deep and u can feel the characters come to life.it made me play for 7 hours straight.this is a game worth getting
  55. Jul 1, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game. Not many games have a compelling story anymore and max payne delivers one from start to finish. This is what games used to be like back in the day before multiplayer. A long campaign that covered every detail. Dont listen to the bad reviews on here, the people who complained about all the cut scenes obviously have never played a max payne game before. Its notMax Payne 3 is a great game. Not many games have a compelling story anymore and max payne delivers one from start to finish. This is what games used to be like back in the day before multiplayer. A long campaign that covered every detail. Dont listen to the bad reviews on here, the people who complained about all the cut scenes obviously have never played a max payne game before. Its not about the action its about the story. I will admit rockstar screwed up in the advertisements and tried to make it out like it was a "non-stop action game" which is why i think alot of people went out and bought it. But anyone who has played the first 2 know theres a deep story involved. How else are they going to give you all the details of max paynes whole story with out cut scenes? To me they dont take away from the experience they add to suspense and the real emotions of the main character. If you want a deep emotional adult orientated story Max Payne 3 is it, if you want a nonstop shooter that has no story or cut scenes at all...thats why they release a COD every year. Expand
  56. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Max Payne 3 is the best Rockstar game I have seen released, so far. I finished the game in 12hours with 7 Golden Weapons Achieved! 9/10 Graphics! 9/10 Story! 9/10 Game play! Never seen A Loading screen. Expand
  57. Jun 5, 2012
    Very fun shooting mechanics with many options, and superbly executed story. Very good graphics for PC with support for DX9, 10, and 11 as well. Very story- and character-driven, just like the first two games. Captures their spirit well, plus it has the Rockstar touch. If MP3 is any indication of what's to come in GTA V, then GTA V will be incredible. A little on the short side, but theVery fun shooting mechanics with many options, and superbly executed story. Very good graphics for PC with support for DX9, 10, and 11 as well. Very story- and character-driven, just like the first two games. Captures their spirit well, plus it has the Rockstar touch. If MP3 is any indication of what's to come in GTA V, then GTA V will be incredible. A little on the short side, but the writing and characters are brilliantly done, and it does have replay value. Better than Diablo 3? Probably not. But still one of the better games on PC so far this year. Expand
  58. Jun 3, 2012
    So far, this game has been a lot of fun. First, the graphics are pretty, and the game play is surprisingly fluid on my mid-level machine. The story is interesting, well-written, and characters seem to interact well (for a video game). This is a rarity in the gaming world, and I find that a breath of fresh air. Now for the downsides. Every once in a while, I experience crashes and glitches.So far, this game has been a lot of fun. First, the graphics are pretty, and the game play is surprisingly fluid on my mid-level machine. The story is interesting, well-written, and characters seem to interact well (for a video game). This is a rarity in the gaming world, and I find that a breath of fresh air. Now for the downsides. Every once in a while, I experience crashes and glitches. The cut scenes seem to abruptly start and stop. So I am trying to move Max around, and realize it is a cut scene. Then the cut scene ends without warning, and I realize people are shooting at me. Slight annoyance. Oh, and lastly, the price is very steep; $59.99. Is it worth the price? I would say yes, if and only if you are willing to live with the cut scene stop and go and the DRM, which is slightly less annoying than Diablo III. Expand
  59. Jun 5, 2012
    If you liked the previous games of Max Payne, you should get this one too. One of the best games this year so far. Its almost perfect in my opinion, but 30gb on hdd needed? Damn, that's too much for a tps. Anyway, this game is great and im giving just 9 because of the bugs and hdd requirements.
  60. zyx
    Jun 8, 2012
    This Game is really epic. Other reviewers dont like the story mode, but for me thats perfect. I like movie driven cut scenes and in fact, you need them. You shoot your way through an unbelievable amount of enemies, so you are happy when you get a break for breathing. The cut Scenes are well placed, as everything in that game. Its perfect balanced and scripted. One of my personal all timeThis Game is really epic. Other reviewers dont like the story mode, but for me thats perfect. I like movie driven cut scenes and in fact, you need them. You shoot your way through an unbelievable amount of enemies, so you are happy when you get a break for breathing. The cut Scenes are well placed, as everything in that game. Its perfect balanced and scripted. One of my personal all time favs. Rockstar merged GTA and LA Noir to a perfect game engine topped with a really thrilling story. Thank you RS for a perfect game experience.. A milestone in game development ! Expand
  61. Jan 18, 2013
    Man, I really can't believe some people are rating this game low because you can't skip cutscenes, wow. Max Payne 3 is one of, if not THE best third person shooter of all time (single-player), if you disgaree you're not a gamer, that is a fact.
  62. Mar 16, 2013
    Great game.compelling story and smooth control.A fan of the series.second only to the first.This is ranked one of the best shooters.As the story gets deeper it brings you in part by part doing a good job in staying fresh and not being repetitive
  63. JEK
    Mar 18, 2013
    I can see there are lots of negative comments. Are you kidding me? Some commented that they don't like the name of football team, the game is serious. Lol. This is a great game. The story is awesome. Pyscho- Thriller action packed game. What more can you ask for. Nice Job Rockstar!
  64. Jan 5, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a game featuring natural and entertaining shooting mechanics, however this is not where the game shines its brightest. It contains some of the best writing I have seen in a video game. It immerses you in a story with a memorable setting and with deep and complex themes that will keep you thinking. The game plays out in a book form, with Max Payne narrating. This is somethingMax Payne 3 is a game featuring natural and entertaining shooting mechanics, however this is not where the game shines its brightest. It contains some of the best writing I have seen in a video game. It immerses you in a story with a memorable setting and with deep and complex themes that will keep you thinking. The game plays out in a book form, with Max Payne narrating. This is something that must be understood before someone plays the game. If they expect a typical game with constant action, they will be bored quickly. There are a lot of cut scenes. To many this is an issue, but I felt the cut scenes played an important part in making the game a story-like experience. Apart from the writing, technically this game is a masterpiece. The animations for the characters make the shooting satisfying and add to the immersion of the game. If you are prepared for a very linear but perfectly crafted experience, than May Payne is perfect for you. Expand
  65. Mar 13, 2013
    This is the first game, that I have ever given a 10 out of 10. For this genre, it's the absolute best you could get. It's a masterpiece! The story is great, you feel like you really know Max Payne as a person and can feel how depressed he is, he isn't just a stupid lifeless video game character. The game play is even better than the previous two, as it capitalized and expanded on allThis is the first game, that I have ever given a 10 out of 10. For this genre, it's the absolute best you could get. It's a masterpiece! The story is great, you feel like you really know Max Payne as a person and can feel how depressed he is, he isn't just a stupid lifeless video game character. The game play is even better than the previous two, as it capitalized and expanded on all of the features introduced in the original games. You really can't ask for any more in this genre. Now I don't have a single problem with the game, however I do have a problem with many reviews on this site, discouraging people from buying the game, as it almost did for me. For example, on steam forums, multiple posts have said something like this "Was psyched about buying the game until I saw the reviews". As there were probably many more that didn't post on the forums. I think that Metacritic should really think about taking some of those bullsh*t forums off that are affecting the rating, and discouraging customers from buying. Secondly, the most common "fault" in this game (according to the negative reviews on this site) mainly consist jibber-jabber about the length and inability to skip cut scenes. Now I don't know if you guys just are posting bullsh*t reviews for fun, or if there actually was an update recently, because I swear, that in the bottom right side of the screen during every cut scene there is a button saying "press enter to skip". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That's almost 200 reviews of 0's and 1's that are dragging this truly incredible game's user score down to a 7.4/10. It really is an exaggeration when someone says "shoot, cut scene, shoot." I mean, people MUST be just posting stupid reviews for fun. Furthermore on the cut scenes, the cut scenes are what separate this game from the average third person shooter, IT GIVES IT A STORY, I mean it's not like they are boring, well unless your not a fan of the action movie genre. So seriously, skip them if you want, the rest of us will watch and enjoy, and if you REALLY HATE games with a story, then please, do us a favor, and go back to call of duty, or one of those other midless shooters. Overall, the reviewers of this game really need to cut the crap, and open their eyes to the button in the corner of the screen that allows you to skip cut scenes. Keep it up, Rockstar, you continue to make games that impress, and wow the action game genre of video game players. Expand
  66. Jul 3, 2013
    I take off 2 points for failure to pass chatter. The graphics and attention to detail is awesome, just a great optimization as well as animation and physics as. Payne kicked everyone's ass once again. I wish the next game was in the style of the first game of the series. This is still the strongest game of the series.
  67. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is the definition of how stupid devs think players are. If you "die", you get a 98% autoaimed, 1 shot kill, superslowmotion, no more damaged, moment that the game makes shure that if you would miss the shot you would probably would have to get put in a mental hospital for how bad you aim. And if you have fought through a long area and have not much hp left and die? well let theThis game is the definition of how stupid devs think players are. If you "die", you get a 98% autoaimed, 1 shot kill, superslowmotion, no more damaged, moment that the game makes shure that if you would miss the shot you would probably would have to get put in a mental hospital for how bad you aim. And if you have fought through a long area and have not much hp left and die? well let the game respawn you just a few meter behind your death with full hp, making painkillers much more usless. And this is all on hard. The difficulty of the max payne games drops as the year they're made in increases.
    And not to mention the devs seems like they felt unoriginal enough to hop on the "lets pretend we came up with these locations in some far country where terrorist operate" train. The game has lost its original dark feeling of max payne 1 and 2. You are just a soldier working for others. And terrorists feel like killing people.
  68. Oct 25, 2013
    How can people praise this game? It's mostly cutscene after cutscene, your lucky if you get to walk down an alley before going to another cutscene. I don't recommend this game at all, the little actual game play is nothing great and it's more of an animated movie.
  69. Jun 3, 2012
    Another masterpiece by Rockstar. Max Payne 3 exceeded all of my expectations, a worthy sequel to the franchise. The gameplay is satisfying, feeling the impact of each bullet that you fire into an enemy. The graphics are beautiful, and the story is great. It really feels like you're playing an action movie. The downside is that I experienced a lot of bugs, from cutscenes not triggeringAnother masterpiece by Rockstar. Max Payne 3 exceeded all of my expectations, a worthy sequel to the franchise. The gameplay is satisfying, feeling the impact of each bullet that you fire into an enemy. The graphics are beautiful, and the story is great. It really feels like you're playing an action movie. The downside is that I experienced a lot of bugs, from cutscenes not triggering to continue the story, to random crashes or failing to start up. The health meter, while classic to the series, is really dated at this point. Running around finding "health kits" really takes away from the experience and they really should have implemented regenerative health, like recent FPS games. Expand
  70. Sep 17, 2012
    i installed the game and right after the next start i couldnt log in anymore with the credentials i have just created and that work online on the website. no reaction from support even after 2 days. this is just no fun at all. one pays high dollar for a single player game and gets: nothing at all.
  71. Jun 10, 2012
    Very good game despite some irritating stuff (yes, too many cut-scenes and CoD level). Amazing graphics (very good optimized PC version), perfect animation, detailed world, superb sound... To be clear, it is not Max Payne what I expected but it is still very good Max Payne. There is no noir atmosphere from predecessors but I was prepared for that. It is not a perfect game but if you canVery good game despite some irritating stuff (yes, too many cut-scenes and CoD level). Amazing graphics (very good optimized PC version), perfect animation, detailed world, superb sound... To be clear, it is not Max Payne what I expected but it is still very good Max Payne. There is no noir atmosphere from predecessors but I was prepared for that. It is not a perfect game but if you can forgive minor flows definitely worth buying. Expand
  72. Dec 16, 2012
    This is one of those games which could be pure awesomeness but developer obviously tried too hard and - FAILED. Graphics is good. Even gameplay is good. But... There are animated sequences all over the game. You can hardly play for 1-2 minutes without be interupted with animated sequence. Game is soo linear that even moving from 1 room to another is animated sequence. AI is terrible. ANDThis is one of those games which could be pure awesomeness but developer obviously tried too hard and - FAILED. Graphics is good. Even gameplay is good. But... There are animated sequences all over the game. You can hardly play for 1-2 minutes without be interupted with animated sequence. Game is soo linear that even moving from 1 room to another is animated sequence. AI is terrible. AND WORSE and most annoying thing is that when you die you are always returned on checkpoint BEFORE animated sequence which usually cannot be skipped. So each time you die you are forced to watch same sequence again. Without this things which make this game unplayable game would probably be 9 or 10! Expand
  73. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is awful and I suggest not paying for this. At first, the game was crashing due to some "Rockstar Social Club" validation errors. After a few days of complaining a patch was released to fix the issues. I was able to play the game for a few days before it started crashing again due to "Social Club" issues. Also the gameplay is terrible and I concur with the reviewers thatThis game is awful and I suggest not paying for this. At first, the game was crashing due to some "Rockstar Social Club" validation errors. After a few days of complaining a patch was released to fix the issues. I was able to play the game for a few days before it started crashing again due to "Social Club" issues. Also the gameplay is terrible and I concur with the reviewers that mentioned the game plays more like a movie, than a game you're continously loosing control of your character. Expand
  74. Jun 9, 2012
    Graphics- 10
    Gameplay- 8
    Soundtrack- 10 Story- 9 Absolutely incredible game! As a fan of MP1 & 2 i can attest that the "max Payne" feel is still there, even halfway across the world. You dont have to be a fan of the series to enjoy this game though. The graphics are amazing hands down. I'm looking to purchase the soundtrack cause it's that awesome. The game play is fun, engaging and
    Graphics- 10
    Gameplay- 8
    Soundtrack- 10
    Story- 9

Absolutely incredible game! As a fan of MP1 & 2 i can attest that the "max Payne" feel is still there, even halfway across the world. You dont have to be a fan of the series to enjoy this game though. The graphics are amazing hands down. I'm looking to purchase the soundtrack cause it's that awesome. The game play is fun, engaging and challenging with various options such as tactical maneuvers, using cover, crouch and prone while still having a 360 degree firing arc. The story and cut-scenes was also engaging making it difficult to decide that you've played for too long in one sitting. Feels like your playing a 10 million dollar budget Hollywood movie. Only annoyances i really found was the switching of weapons when coming out of a cut scene. takes too long to switch to, drop and pickup a rifle. Also for those looking for the collectible second time around the cut-scenes are a bit long to wait through. Other than that, it's a superb title and a must for anyone into smart FPS'.
  75. Mar 30, 2013
    @1440p max settings x4MSAA SLI 680. The game ran at 60fps 95% of the time and virtual memory topped at about 1850MB through out the entire game. The game looks and handles really well. The story and mood of the game was really fun to experience. The game is has extremely repetitive gun play. You basically bullet time, cover, head shot the whole game. But the story, sound and moodiness of@1440p max settings x4MSAA SLI 680. The game ran at 60fps 95% of the time and virtual memory topped at about 1850MB through out the entire game. The game looks and handles really well. The story and mood of the game was really fun to experience. The game is has extremely repetitive gun play. You basically bullet time, cover, head shot the whole game. But the story, sound and moodiness of the game makes you forget about it. Well worth $20 on a Steam sell. Game play is about 12hrs. Expand
  76. Nov 23, 2012
    got this in a sale and it won't link with my steam account so because of the DRM I can't play it so I have no choice but to rate this game a zero but I am willing to change my review if the problem is fixed
  77. Jun 7, 2012
    I have a tendency to go into gun-ho marathons of epic game playing and usually let myself go wild like a kid on Christmas morning, but MP3 makes me want to hold back solely out of not wanting the game to end. Fantastic graphics coupled with a gripping story and great gameplay makes this game a definite contender for GOTY. It is comforting to see a developer not make a game for people whoI have a tendency to go into gun-ho marathons of epic game playing and usually let myself go wild like a kid on Christmas morning, but MP3 makes me want to hold back solely out of not wanting the game to end. Fantastic graphics coupled with a gripping story and great gameplay makes this game a definite contender for GOTY. It is comforting to see a developer not make a game for people who need to have their hands held for the entire experience, not to mention adult themes. Well done Rockstar. Expand
  78. Jun 5, 2012
    Compelling story. The on screen effects are something took a while for me to get used to, and i wasn't sure if I liked it at first. But i definitely do now. The only thing I don't like is that the maps are tiny. In a way I guess it fits the game, but I would have liked to see some bigger maps as well.
  79. May 12, 2013
    Max payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm gladMax payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm glad I did. Fight scenes are pretty realistic, and weapon handling and mechanics are realistic and good too (you can only carry 2 handguns and 1 big gun). Story is pretty good, but I didn't follow some stuff (i'm retarded like that). The only problem is that the game weighs in at 30 GB which is massive (it obliterated my download quota).

I don't really care about multiplayer, but the single player rocks! I also didn't mind the trippy visuals, like some people did.

I think PC game fans are being very ungrateful. Even if this is a console port (I absolutely detest consoles and consoletards), they've done a superb job of it and it is eminently playable on PC.
  80. Jan 18, 2013
    Uno de los mejores juegos a los que he jugado últimamente. La historia y estilo narrativo de la misma, engancha desde el primer momento. Si a eso le sumamos el estilo de juego que sigue el patrón de la primera y segunda parte aunque en un entorno muy diferente (Brasil, representado de una manera que te hace sentir verdaderamente allí), obtenemos una tercera parte queUno de los mejores juegos a los que he jugado últimamente. La historia y estilo narrativo de la misma, engancha desde el primer momento. Si a eso le sumamos el estilo de juego que sigue el patrón de la primera y segunda parte aunque en un entorno muy diferente (Brasil, representado de una manera que te hace sentir verdaderamente allí), obtenemos una tercera parte que está a la altura de la saga y que no defraudara ni a los que jugaron a las anteriores partes, como a los que se sumerjan en el mundo y vida de Max Payne por primera vez. Expand
  81. Jan 17, 2013
    Not great as Max Payne 1 and 2, but actually a very good game. I've played this after Borderlands and there are abysmal differences. Max Payne, intended as game and not only as the character, has always so much charisma and class, unlike Borderlands and other FPS & TPS. The game has a good plot and it's very enjoyable and satisfying, with only a few situations maybe a little too difficultNot great as Max Payne 1 and 2, but actually a very good game. I've played this after Borderlands and there are abysmal differences. Max Payne, intended as game and not only as the character, has always so much charisma and class, unlike Borderlands and other FPS & TPS. The game has a good plot and it's very enjoyable and satisfying, with only a few situations maybe a little too difficult and frustrating. A must to play for old school Max Payne lovers and not. A really good graphic with a good optimization, and a great sound sample for weapons. Expand
  82. Apr 7, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a very tough game to review, at times it's blundering, overly cinematic and linear, at others its brilliantly violent, dynamic and clever. I have yet to play a game with this many ups and downs in my opinion on it. However, I finished the game with a huge smile on my face and an eagerness to go through it again.

The first thing you will notice is of course the change in

The first thing you will notice is of course the change in setting, Max Payne 3 switches the grimy streets of New York for Sao Paolo brazil. Max Payne is no longer a sharp wisecracking detective but an aging, incompetent drunk. The sequences of him drinking and popping painkillers and talking about how much he hates himself get old really quickly, however within this overused cliche Rockstar develops a strange relationship between the character and the player. Much of Max Payne 3 is spent watching Max act in extremely stupid ways (in one scene he busts into a hostage situation, outnumbered 10 to one and just says "drop the guns", in another, he wanders down the streets of brazil in a Hawaiian shirt asking people for directions before inevitably getting robbed.) and you, the player, having to bail him out of his situations withy our superior shooting skills. You, the player, will come to hate Max as much as he hates himself, whether it is intentional or not it was a clever way of getting the idea across.

The game is made up of cinematic sequences (QTE style set pieces), escort missions, vehicle levels, occasional "boss battles" with heavily armed enemies, and open ended shootouts with multiple enemies. It is when Max is alone, outnumbered and has to shoot his way out that the game really shines. The gunplay is generally brilliant on a level not even achieved by MP1 or 2. Environments are almost fully destructible, the rag-doll physics are really well done, and shoot-dodging has a whole different feeling to it. Max now interacts with his environment. if you shoot dodge into a wall, max will hit his head and land on his face, having to correct himself before being able to get a clear shot at anything, this means shoot dodgning is no longer an easy answer to everything, it can go horribly wrong and you actually have to plan your moves. It is in this mechanic that the game truly shines, each gunfight plays out differently depending on your actions, and is generally a joy to play through. The other sequences on the other hand, can be god awful. Vehicle sequences drag on and seem ridiculous, escort missions missions get obnoxious as the game plays a cutscene of your buddy dying if you fail to meet certain perameters which the game is not clear to you about. This can be extremely frustrating. In one sequence I managed to outsmart a sniper by hidning behind the wall he was sniping from, the game then played a cutscene of max wandering out into the open (despite the fact that i was taking cover) and getting shot, meaning i had to restart the sequence. The game does this a lot, requiring you to do EXACTLY as the game intended, even if there are other solutions, and punishing you by playing a cutscene of Max or one of his friends getting killed and a "Mission Failed" screen. This is not OK in my book, the game can be disgustingly linear during these sequences. Luckily near the end of the game, Max goes it alone and these sequences become less plentiful. The last 4 or so levels of the game are brilliant, featuring almost exclusively brilliantly sculpted shootout.

Like the gameplay, Max Payne 3 doesn't know exactly what it wants to be storywise. The first 6 or so hours feel like a michael bay movie, with cheesy dialogue and really stupid cutscenes. Eventually things take a turn for the darker, max payne is left with no one to talk to but himself as he must unravel an intricate plot in neo-noir fashion, and a lot of people die. The game sort of finds itself and resolves beautifully, despite its many misteps.

The story took me about 12 hours, at the end there is both the option to play through each chapter of the story, even allowing you to load individual checkpoints to skip all the crappy levels, or Arcade mode. Arcade mode allows you to play through the levels with a score counter, trying to beat the high score, you can also choose your player skin (including old school max payne, which is hilarious) and other paramters. I had a lot of fun doing this, the replay value on this game is very high for a story based shooter.

A lot of people here are saying that you can't skip cutscenes, that is not quite true. You have to watch cutscenes while the game is loading, however once its done loading you can skip them, most of the mandatory pre game sequences which you have to watch after you die last 5 seconds at most, so its really not that bad. One big complaint is that on the PC version you cannot alt tab, this is a big problem.

Overal max payne 3 had me cheering at bits and screaming and cursing at others, its a flawed game, but the brilliant gunplay makes it worth it.
  83. Mar 15, 2013
    Currently on regular sale on steam for under a tenner, Max Payne 3 happily fills the linear action shooter niche, complete with laughable dialogue and well-paced action. The story is predictably hammy throughout, yet pleasingly self-referential. Cover-glitch issues and unskippable cut-scenes sadly pull this down into an 8/10, but there isn't any to match what Max can bring. Read more atCurrently on regular sale on steam for under a tenner, Max Payne 3 happily fills the linear action shooter niche, complete with laughable dialogue and well-paced action. The story is predictably hammy throughout, yet pleasingly self-referential. Cover-glitch issues and unskippable cut-scenes sadly pull this down into an 8/10, but there isn't any to match what Max can bring. Read more at http://teachergamer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/max-payne-3.html Expand
  84. Dec 23, 2012
    Overall, this is a fun game and really deserves a 7 but I gave it an 8 to balance out the haters. The main problem is that the developers forgot to make a the game itself fun and focused entirely on creating cut scenes and story. The story and cut scenes are entertaining but it appears that's where all of their creativity went. All the enemies are exactly the same except the rareOverall, this is a fun game and really deserves a 7 but I gave it an 8 to balance out the haters. The main problem is that the developers forgot to make a the game itself fun and focused entirely on creating cut scenes and story. The story and cut scenes are entertaining but it appears that's where all of their creativity went. All the enemies are exactly the same except the rare bosses. The developers tried to make it feel different by changing the environment and uniforms but it still feels the same. The later levels just means there's more enemies on screen at once. There's no difference between a handgun and rifle except the magazine capacity and rate of fire. You can hit a guy with a handgun just as accurate with a scoped laser dotted rifle. Even when they place you in a unique shooting situation, it never felt any different because the enemies and mechanics of your gun is no different than before. So after the first chapter you're just playing for the story because killing bad guys in the exact same fashion gets tiresome. The story is where all the money went. The cut scenes makes up for 50% of the game but I found it enjoyable which is the only reason why I finished it. If you're the type of player who skips all the cut scenes then you'll get bored because you're almost always using the same gun shooting at the same bad guys. It's really too bad because there are so many different places they could have been more creative game play wise. What is the point of the silencer on guns if you never actually do any sneaking in the game? How about more unique weapons like using bullet time to throw a knife at someone's face or flame throwers? Why not enemies with different attributes like having one carry a shield and another specializes in throwing flash bangs? Instead of just making us shoot out of vehicles all the time, how about allowing us to control the helicopter and fire its weapon systems? Instead, at the core this feels more like a time crisis arcade game except time crisis was more fun game play wise. Expand
  85. Dec 24, 2012
    Game imitates movie, movie imitates game and now the game imitates - well - game. On an aesthetic level, MP3 is stunning. It looks lush and detailed, smooth and vibrant. The environments are gorgeous and gritty. Character designs are varied and crisp. Levels are a tad linear but break off here and there for items. Cover spots are great and are spread out evenly. The script isGame imitates movie, movie imitates game and now the game imitates - well - game. On an aesthetic level, MP3 is stunning. It looks lush and detailed, smooth and vibrant. The environments are gorgeous and gritty. Character designs are varied and crisp. Levels are a tad linear but break off here and there for items. Cover spots are great and are spread out evenly. The script is excellent with some hilarious narration by long-time MP voice James McCaffrey (as well as motion captioned) among others. It's an engaging story with clever plotlines and creative dialogue. Excellent foley work with terrific sound FX and vocals. The arsenal has a nice variety but not having grenades is a bit of a disappointment. The weapon select is a tad clunky and inconvenient in a pinch. All aesthetics aside, everything works but that's where the golden stickers stop. Technically in terms of controls it's a mess. The cover actions are clumsy as well as glitched. The glitch causes Max to get stuck unless you roll out of it. The cover action also is very sticky and causes Max to cover where you don't always want him to. The character movement is slow and there's some problems with mouse whipping. Max also reverts to the default weapon (pistol) after a cut scene. Saving isn't too bad since there are no manual saves but the checkpoints are fine most of the time. Multi-player is fine for those that play that sort of thing. It's not perfect and can be frustrating at times but for an overall experience it's a total visceral thrill ride. It's bloody, funny, clever and action-packed. Next time just do some more quality control before you release it. Expand
  86. Jun 22, 2012
    Yes the game has issues like longer cut-scenes and stupid ways to narratethe comic style narration and a totally non existing story. otherwise, its a very good shooter with nie physics, great design and good graphics .
  87. Dec 10, 2012
    It's hard to continue to do so the old game that they were not offended and fans and new players. Rockstar games has done a great job. Addictive gameplay, a very interesting character Max Payne, nice graphics and great gameplay. The game almost a must for any fan of shooters. It is a pity that it is not entirely perfected, contains some bugs, and some missions / maps looks bad. The game,It's hard to continue to do so the old game that they were not offended and fans and new players. Rockstar games has done a great job. Addictive gameplay, a very interesting character Max Payne, nice graphics and great gameplay. The game almost a must for any fan of shooters. It is a pity that it is not entirely perfected, contains some bugs, and some missions / maps looks bad. The game, however, really very good. My Rating - 8.5 / 10 Expand
  88. Jun 7, 2013
    Fun, to a point. Ultimately this is a corridor, utterly linear shooting adventure from start to finish. Max Payne's narrative, some nicely coded locales and settings, and overall gunplay battles is what keeps the game better than mediocare. Having never played a Max Payne before, this game conformed to my expectations. It's a solid FPS with an achingly unoriginal story-line. But what let'sFun, to a point. Ultimately this is a corridor, utterly linear shooting adventure from start to finish. Max Payne's narrative, some nicely coded locales and settings, and overall gunplay battles is what keeps the game better than mediocare. Having never played a Max Payne before, this game conformed to my expectations. It's a solid FPS with an achingly unoriginal story-line. But what let's it down is the distinct lack of freedom to do anything other than follow a cut-scene to action based continuous script. In the game you truly are either watching some dialogue and pre-sequenced action scenarios, or you literally pointing and shooting. That's it. However, apart from some issues with the cover-system and annoying ability of the goons to find pinpoint your exact location at all times, it was generally a fairly enjoyable experience. I persevered, had a bit of fun, but won't be coming back. Liked Max though, what a hero! Expand
  89. Nov 13, 2012
    Max has been turned into John McClaine from Die Hard. One-liners, over-the-top action scenes, and even his appearance. The grittiness from the first Max Payne games is mostly gone. The graphic novel cutscenes are gone. Bullet time stayed and is just as fun as ever. However it's still an enjoyable experience for what it is, even if it isn't "really" the Max Payne we remember. Also, it seemsMax has been turned into John McClaine from Die Hard. One-liners, over-the-top action scenes, and even his appearance. The grittiness from the first Max Payne games is mostly gone. The graphic novel cutscenes are gone. Bullet time stayed and is just as fun as ever. However it's still an enjoyable experience for what it is, even if it isn't "really" the Max Payne we remember. Also, it seems Rockstar has FINALLY remembered how to make a game run well on the PC. Expand
  90. Aug 16, 2013
    The game was great. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at (gasp) the cut-scenes. I will say I wan't pleased I couldn't skip the first one, since I wanted to setup my graphics settings. But all the rest are skippable by pressing A.

The cover is not supposed to be a core part of the game, you should be using bullet-time as that is the core mechanic of the Max Payne series. The story is

The story is good, very "Die Hard' and the action is quick and responsive. I did play with a controller so I cannot vet the PC controls but really they were always designed to use a gamepad anyway.

Overall its a very fun ride and I enjoyed being in the Max Payne universe again.
  91. Feb 10, 2013
    The game is good but not perfect so i can`t give it a 10 it has great graphics sound and a decent gameplay. I like the change of scenery from US to Brazil it lost some of the dark feeling but it gained more open spaces and hordes of enemies :D I don`t mind the film sensation but the effects in the cut scenes are not that great. The fact that you can`t really explore the game and the doorsThe game is good but not perfect so i can`t give it a 10 it has great graphics sound and a decent gameplay. I like the change of scenery from US to Brazil it lost some of the dark feeling but it gained more open spaces and hordes of enemies :D I don`t mind the film sensation but the effects in the cut scenes are not that great. The fact that you can`t really explore the game and the doors close permanently behind you is a huge flaw of the game they wasted so much potential aslo no puzzeles very linear .The combat system it`s ok but the cover dosn`t allways work and you can`t shoot the AI because they are behind multiple objects but they still manage to fire at you ,aslo you can`t kill the AI from under bridges but they can kill you through any material :D I finished the game on pc on hard and it`s a nice challenge despite some bugs and camera visibility issues. The MP in this game is very weak the pistols are overpowered and the fact that you have to shoot multiple times to get a hs it`s not right it shoud be instant kill also i notices players who have higher levels can regenerate the health when they are under supresion by enemies that is bs.... I recommend this game if you liked MP1 and MP2 and if you like to feel like you are in Brazil Expand
  92. Dec 27, 2012
    Good graphics, nice cutscenes, wonderful environmental details. It's fun for a few hours but after that you just start to look for ending in a pain. Oh wait, the biggest problem is that this game has no freedom even you are able to open a door if a cutscene allows. And please someone warns Rockstar about their unnecessary collectables. Those collectables could make Max Payne 3 neitherGood graphics, nice cutscenes, wonderful environmental details. It's fun for a few hours but after that you just start to look for ending in a pain. Oh wait, the biggest problem is that this game has no freedom even you are able to open a door if a cutscene allows. And please someone warns Rockstar about their unnecessary collectables. Those collectables could make Max Payne 3 neither wider nor fun. Expand
  93. Jun 22, 2012
    What an awesome game. With a story that quickly immerses you, I'm proud to admit that Max Payne 3 is an excellent addition to the series. With an onslaught of horribly disappointing sequels over the last year, it was refreshing to play a game that isn't afraid to try something new with it's mechanics while NOT selling out it's loyal fanbase with a streamlined shell of it's predecessors.What an awesome game. With a story that quickly immerses you, I'm proud to admit that Max Payne 3 is an excellent addition to the series. With an onslaught of horribly disappointing sequels over the last year, it was refreshing to play a game that isn't afraid to try something new with it's mechanics while NOT selling out it's loyal fanbase with a streamlined shell of it's predecessors. Well done Rockstar : ) Expand
  94. Jun 23, 2012
    Single player is a great ride, and so long as you dont mind the long chatty cutscenes you will have a great time with this. The gunplay is solid, the shots have a real punch to them. Arcade modes to enhance the single player experience once the story ends are nice additions but hardly must play stuff. The multiplayer is really a surprise, it is great fun, has a COD like levelling systemSingle player is a great ride, and so long as you dont mind the long chatty cutscenes you will have a great time with this. The gunplay is solid, the shots have a real punch to them. Arcade modes to enhance the single player experience once the story ends are nice additions but hardly must play stuff. The multiplayer is really a surprise, it is great fun, has a COD like levelling system and many varied game modes with team play being rewarded well. However, if your in Australia (like me) youll find you can never find a server that doesnt give you at least a 300ms lag delay. This destroys the multiplayer for me, i often feel cheated by some of the deaths i recieve playing. this rating will be a nine or ten if rockstar can fix it so we can chose regions for multiplayer. However this is still certainly the most impressive game ive played thus far this year Expand
  95. Nov 25, 2012
    Max Payne 3 have pretty big shoes to fill and the games manages to get it right in some areas while it falls flat in others. The action in the game is pretty damn good. They have changed it from the old formula by adding cover-based shooting to the mix which makes the gameplay a little bit slower than it was in the previous games. The old health-system is thankfully still intact and evenMax Payne 3 have pretty big shoes to fill and the games manages to get it right in some areas while it falls flat in others. The action in the game is pretty damn good. They have changed it from the old formula by adding cover-based shooting to the mix which makes the gameplay a little bit slower than it was in the previous games. The old health-system is thankfully still intact and even though the action is a bit slower than it was earlier it never feels like its entirely based around covers. The old jump and gun action is still there and it works and looks great and i personally have no problems with the addition of the cover-system. One problems that i have is that the slightly left/right behind camera angel feels awkward and you often get the feeling that Max have clear view of the target while you dont. Story-wise the game follows in the footsteps of its predecessor and is pretty great. The old visual-novel style story telling is gone and the story feels less self-aware of its own silliness than in the previous Max Payne games. That doesnt change that the story and narrative by Max is pretty damn good and i wholeheartedly
    enjoyed it. The biggest flaw of Max Payne 3 though is the cutscenes. The problem is not that they look bad, the problem is that they wont stay away. I have no problem with a shooter being linear but in this game the narrative takes total control over every action you make and it feels like you are only allowed to play the shooting parts since the games is worried that you might screw up and make it look bad. In the first hour of the game there were probably more cutscenes or "gameplay" in cutscenes than there was real gameplay. Thankfully it gets a little bit better later in the game but its still always there. In some areas it gets totally absurd when you arent allowed to control the sniper-movement the few second between the shootings. It totally kills the immersion and you are left wondering why cant i do that. Why arent i allowed to do all the cool stuff that happens in the cutscenes? It feels cheap and it really hurts the
    game. The worst part of it is that it makes the game feel like its following a formula. Cutscene-->Shootout in a small area--> Cutscene and so on. I still had a good time with the 10 hourish campaign though and i would still recommend playing this game for all fans of action games or old Payne-fans. I wouldn't recommend paying 40 bucks for it though.
  96. Jul 29, 2012
    I found the gameplay much more advanced and easily adaptable..Rockstar games never seem to disappoint us...great graphics..only thing i found lacking was the absence of our original max payne, with his black leather jacket, washed in the rain, always hiding behind the shadows..original poets of the fall theme was fantastic..this time, i loved the final score called tears..it really got myI found the gameplay much more advanced and easily adaptable..Rockstar games never seem to disappoint us...great graphics..only thing i found lacking was the absence of our original max payne, with his black leather jacket, washed in the rain, always hiding behind the shadows..original poets of the fall theme was fantastic..this time, i loved the final score called tears..it really got my adrenaline pumping to play the final chapter in style..overall it was fun Expand
  97. Jul 29, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is an odd beast. It may be just what some fans wanted, but it may be hard to like for new-comers. At times its mechanics come together to make a pretty good action game, and at other times, they collapse on themselves. The story mode is about a broken, alcoholic, painkiller addict with an irresistible urge to kill bad guys. It's not pretty, and certainly never happy, and theMax Payne 3 is an odd beast. It may be just what some fans wanted, but it may be hard to like for new-comers. At times its mechanics come together to make a pretty good action game, and at other times, they collapse on themselves. The story mode is about a broken, alcoholic, painkiller addict with an irresistible urge to kill bad guys. It's not pretty, and certainly never happy, and the writing does well to deliver an engrossing tone which is very well supported by the good voice acting. Meanwhile, the presentation is stylistic, and the graphics are quite nice. You'll find yourself in various environments which display the graphics engine's staying power, but not much in visual flair or varying colors. The levels just look like the places they're supposed to be, no unique art style or tone; you've been to these places in other games, making Max Payne 3 overall a bit bland to look at. On the PC, the additional settings available are very welcome, including DX11 support and an actual counter to tell you how much VRAM you're using. Its Rockstar's GTA IV engine essentially, so you'll see the aging this time around like low poly edges, less roundness in the environments, and not-the-best facial animation. Additionally, watch out for the install size which nears about 25GB of space.
    Throughout the game, you'll be treated to extensive cutscenes that merge pretty seamlessly into gameplay. Unfortunately, extended play will reveal that these cutscenes seem overdone: Max's monologues, though well-written and voiced, are consistently pessimistic, sarcastic, and just self-defacing, all the time. Max hates himself, and is fully aware of the terrible situations he's in, which is fine until he decides to tell you about how crappy things are over and over again. It's gets annoying, often I found myself wishing he'd have something else to say, like something more creative than another sarcastic line about how these rich people were terrible or how crappy the situation was. The next things to get irritated were my eyes. The game does 2 stylistic things in its presentation: words from the dialogue pop up on-screen and the screen often wigs out of focus or has TV lines obscuring part of it. This makes the game look unique, sure, but they irritate my eyes. The screen falling out of focus and such so often was not comfortable to watch, and as much as it could be selling the hung-over old dog in an overstimulating world experience, it becomes too much for tolerance. Then there are the words that pop up: they tend to be emphasized words in the dialogue and they pop up for no discernible reason, there really isn't any gameplay significance at all and unless you're dying to see what gets pointed out next, it's a pointless novelty. At least the music is okay, but nothing that really caught my ear.
    Basically, the game goes cutscene -> linear cover-based shooting level -> cutscene, and there isn''t much deviation from the pattern. As a game, Max Payne 3 still has the trademark Bullet-time mechanic that's essentially a limited (be refillable via killing and waiting) supply of player-triggered slow-motion. You also have the shoot-dodge jump which slows down time as Max dives in a chosen direction, but stops abruptly once he runs into something, leaving him to awkwardly take his time to stand back up. As opposed to other 3rd person shooters, there is no regenerating health in the single player, so you need to rely on consumable painkillers which will not heal you 100%. If you're shot fatally with a painkiller in your inventory, you'll go on a Last Stand sort of slow-motion event where you can kill the guy who shot you to live. It's nice to have seeing as how easily you'll get shot from people out of nowhere. You can't take many hits to begin with, and enemy AI is often aggressive and flanking. You'll need to take cover to survive. This is where Max Payne doesn't feel like Max Payne. You WILL need to take cover, lest you die. And you'll often be using bullet-time to peek out of cover just land a shot without getting hit, instead of diving or running-and-gunning, as you would expect of this franchise. Do anything else, and you'll probably die. This game is pretty strict and doesn't allow much for creativity. Enemies spawn in unfair places, and the slow-mo final kill cams can be misleading when you walk a few steps and find yourself in another encounter with no cover. No cover traversal means you'll get shot trying to get to cover, which is extra annoying with the unusual controls, and Max's own lumbering but well-animated movements. Sprinting is slow, and Max stands up completely after a roll before moving again. The Rockstar atypical single-white-dot aiming reticule makes a return, and at times can be indiscernible in the scenery, thou
  98. Jul 29, 2012
    The gameplay is old fashioned arcade style, and therefore often starts a level from cutscene of you literally running into the fight guns blazing. This doesn't allow for the same old strategies most fps gamers have accustomed to, and therefore has caused a great deal of butthurt amongst youngsters who feel they should be allowed to pick what weapon he has out and get to enter the room onThe gameplay is old fashioned arcade style, and therefore often starts a level from cutscene of you literally running into the fight guns blazing. This doesn't allow for the same old strategies most fps gamers have accustomed to, and therefore has caused a great deal of butthurt amongst youngsters who feel they should be allowed to pick what weapon he has out and get to enter the room on their own accord.
    The whole novelty of this game is that some of the game plays style actually predates the first Max Payne game, while using truly up to date graphics and a remarkably cutting edge game engine.Plus some modern touches like the cover system.
    There isn't much re-play value and the multi-player system is rather weak, but if you have the Hardware to play this at it's full graphical glory then I highly recommend it. Also there are some audio issues if you try to use spdif to dts surround I believe due to dx9 audio. So if your computer is integrated into your home stereo system that way, then set it for stereo instead of surround or use headphones (it sounded great through my akg701s). Be sure to check graphic card compatibility and such before you buy the game and to download the latest drivers, because I've read some reviews where people with the wrong hardware where having hissy fits. For example a mac user duel booting into windows... that review was hilarious
  99. Feb 28, 2013
    Being a Rockstar game, it feels very much like GTA in terms of combat, which did get slightly repetitive, but was still great fun, the story was very well developed, my only problem with it is that some cutscenes take a little too long and some of them shouldn't have been there and should have given you control. The soundtrack was amazing, and the graphics were great, even if I couldn'tBeing a Rockstar game, it feels very much like GTA in terms of combat, which did get slightly repetitive, but was still great fun, the story was very well developed, my only problem with it is that some cutscenes take a little too long and some of them shouldn't have been there and should have given you control. The soundtrack was amazing, and the graphics were great, even if I couldn't max out settings due to my average graphics card. Expand
  100. Jul 19, 2013
    Great game with a good plot and fun action. You get to play an "a far bald American hero" with a drinking addiction who is capable of taking out an entire army single-handed. Of course the game is not realistic but it's really-really fun to play. Note that they added some interesting mechanics: when you are about to die, if you have a spare "pain killer" you get an attempt to shoot yourGreat game with a good plot and fun action. You get to play an "a far bald American hero" with a drinking addiction who is capable of taking out an entire army single-handed. Of course the game is not realistic but it's really-really fun to play. Note that they added some interesting mechanics: when you are about to die, if you have a spare "pain killer" you get an attempt to shoot your killer in bullet time. If you do, you get waste the pain killer for "another life" and continue fighting.

Oh, and it has optimized DX11 graphics, althought my GPU did overheat at first (solved by using MSI afterburner to set fans on max and reducing GPU core frequency, but thats my GPU's problem). Got the game on steam, beat the game on hard in 3-4 days, had a very good time, I recommend you do the same.

I've read some negative reviews, i would like to respond to a few of them.

- Long loading times?
    + Buy a new pc and throw your wooden garbage out. I have a core i7 2600k with a single sata HDD and GTX 570 gpu. This is clearly not a new or high-end computer. Load times take no more than 5 seconds.

- Cut-scenes can't be skipped?
    +Yes they can. There is an indicator telling you which button to press. But the cutscenes are good and an integral part of the game, so why skip them in the first place?

- Bullet time makes the game too easy?
    + Play it on hard or don't use bullet time.

- Nearly impossible to aim.
    + Actually too easy. Except when you are using laser sight (for some reason be it bug or feature it gives you extra recoil). Try playing counter-strike.
  101. Aug 27, 2012
    At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game,At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game, it'll take you for one hell of a ride. Collapse

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]