7.6

1. Oct 3, 2013
    Unfortunately as much as I tried liking this game, it is a complete fail on several crucial levels.

PROs:
    1) Euphoria. Though it isn't as awesome or revolutionary as some of the people online make it sound. As it stands now, Euphoria barely changes anything in the shooter genre and hardly ever looks any different to regular ragdoll physics. Besides, the novelty effects wears out after
    3-4 levels. It simply isn't that special. The amount of time spent improving the tech since the 2008 GTA IV release doesn't show.

2) Some of the levels have that special touch that makes them a genuine pleasure to navigate and explore, on the other hand, there is plenty of derivatively dull map design as well (perhaps, it makes the majority of this game).

CONs:
    1) Cutscenes. Constant cutscenes, to the extent of wanting to exit the game. I am at a loss as to what they were trying to achieve with a few hours of engine-rendered storytelling. Games are about doing, controlling your character. If I want passive storytelling, I'll watch a movie, engine-rendered cinematics (mo-capped or not) are no match for live action photography. Crappy shaky camera effects, interlaced wording flashing on screen (supposedly to emphasize the dire emotions communicated thus). Why undermine the medium? That was plain silly. They poured time and resources on destroying what the original Max Payne had been executing flawlessly with some drawn static comic book loading screens.

2) Writing. The cutscene annoyance's been amplified by the witless, moronic writing. I find it hard to put it into words, but it's simply bad and keeps repeating itself like hell: booze, remorse, need to push forward, "I am probably a fool for doing this, but hell..." Do they keep some emotional idiots at rockstar just for such scripts? Not to mention it sports a thousand film clichés and blatantly rips off some of them (as well as ripping off some games).

3) Clunky controls. Poorly implemented cover system, that is plain unwieldy to use, not to mention you get shot 9 out of 10 times when using it. The floating camera mechanics is badly done too, you get shot when turning corners and take massive damage without even having the slightest chance of evaluating the situation. This leads to you having to replay those sections of the game, which hampers the sense of story flow and messes with your game progress (kinda like cheating, knowing that there is a dude behind the corner, so you jump out slo-mo).

The graphics is really nothing special either. Overall this game makes a silly impression. Sorry for all the artistic that went in to it (meaning the man-hours spent modeling and animating this turkey).
  2. Jul 12, 2013
    A few months ago i went to play max payne 1 and 2 since i looked for good classic games that i've missed.
    I played max payne 1 and i've beat it and i LOVED it. i loved the weapon collecting I remember so well from classic action games like half life and C&C renegade, i loved the story and the good set of characters, i loved the non-rechargeble health and i've liked the film noire cartoon
    style cutscenes.
    I went then to play the sequel- Max Payne 2, and i really loved it. i liked the return of good characters from max payne 1 and i liked the special abilities and the new physics engine.
    Then I went to play Max Payne 3, and I was DISSAPOINTED!!! 2 weapons limit, ruined bullet time, bad PC port, all of this I could forgive, but the things that made me hate this game and quit playing it forever are that there are NO returning characters, NO good plot that connects in NO way to the plot of the original remedy titles, and NO film noire and NO cartoon style cutscenes!
    now, if you didn't play the original 2 games you might like this game, but who am I kidding, go buy those games they're 5 dollars each on steam, and they worth way more than that. and if you did play the original max payne and max payne 2, you'll probably wouldn't like this game.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    I'm a long time fan of the Max Payne games. Max Payne 1 blew my mind, Max Payne 2 was an awesome sequel, but Max Payne 3 is something completely different in a bad way. When I played Max Payne 3 the first thing that disappointing me was the lack of gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like in the previous Max Payne games, some sad, depressing music with depressed Max Payne talking every now and then. Next the story, simply putting it, it was cheesy as hell. Then the gameplay, why did they have to make it as a checkpoint game. The usual ''save whenever you want'' way is much better and less frustrating. The only good thing that I can say is about the graphics, they are pretty good, but that's it. A huge disappointment for me as a Max Payne fan. Expand
  4. Jul 30, 2013
    A huge disappointment to me. Has nothing to do with Max Payne 1 or 2, which are both way better third person shooters, with much better atmosphere and gameplay. This game however sometimes felt more like an interactive movie than an actual videogame. If I wanted to watch an action movie, I will watch one on TV. If I want to play videogames, please let me play. This "game" simply does not let you do that. In some situations you watch a three-minute cutscene, are handed over controls for less than two minutes, and then watch another two to three minute cutscene. Also, I found the difficulty level of this game to be totally unbalanced (ridiculously easy in some parts, very frustrating in others). Somehow not what I had expected. A decent game as it stands for itself, but no match whatsoever for the first two Max Payne games. Expand
  5. Aug 4, 2013
    There's no denying that the core gameplay is solid and the game plays fun and fluid, for the most part. The problem is that the atmosphere and story was a big part of what made people love the original Max Payne, and it's just not there in this game, I'm sorry to say. The constant cutscenes are also annoying, especially when you have to sit through a story that to my estimation doesn't even attempt to capture any of what made the story of the original game in the series compelling. Expand
  6. Aug 7, 2013
    There is potentially a great game here, marred by excessive use of cut-scene's, many of which seem completely unnecessary and interrupt otherwise great action scenes.

The downtime in a game should be for exploration and recuperating but this game allows for little to none of that. While i understand that pacing is important, I found that the frequency with which control was taken from
    me served only to frustrate me.

Then, to further my frustration, the game decides that every time you enter a cut-scene you must switch to your pistol or smg to take out the baddies regardless of whether or not you are holding a rifle or not. then it would throw a tonne of baddies at you and laugh as you fumble around trying to get that rifle out again.

Just so many things done so wrong and it's a shame because the story and characters are so well done.

Avoid, it's not worth the Payne...
  7. Oct 19, 2013
    A bunch of shooting galleries inter-spaced with long cut scenes. Despite the decent graphics this game is simply not that entertaining. The fact that I had to sign up for a special account to play the game didn't help my opinion of the game.
  8. Oct 25, 2013
    How can people praise this game? It's mostly cutscene after cutscene, your lucky if you get to walk down an alley before going to another cutscene. I don't recommend this game at all, the little actual game play is nothing great and it's more of an animated movie.
  9. Nov 7, 2013
    The makers of this game must have paid the critics to get such a high score. This game is absolutely atrocious. There isn't a single aspect of this game that is fun, aside from the bullet time action. But even that get's old, when that is all you're doing.

The game's camera and visual effects get old after 10 min of play..and they get downright distracting and painful to look at the
    longer you play the game. And I use the term "play" very loosely here, because you mostly spend looking at crappy shaky camera cut scenes. with a bit of running around and then just shooting enemies over...and over again. This game has not redeeming qualities, because even the bullet time action gets old because you have to use it CONSTANTLY, because the cover system sucks, and there is no strategy involved at all.

I would give this game a 0, but I'll give it a 2 because bullet time is fun for about 5 min, and there is one water level that's a bit fun. Otherwise, don't bother playing this game, and for the love of god DON'T BUY IT! Spend your money on something you'll actually get to play and won't give you seizures.
  10. Nov 24, 2013
    This is not Max Payne that we know from Remedy. This is GTA style Max Payne the brand name. Although glimmers of hope arise throughout playing the game one does not have the same level of aspiration for Max compared to 1 & 2. Gameplay was great, story line was OK and what they've made out of Max's character is the unacceptable bit for me. Max from 1 & 2 was someone to aspire to but in 3 he is just a non appealing character. Just go and compare the almost poetic quotes of Max from 1 & 2 to the low grade humour he attempts in 3 and you will see what I am referring to. Expand
  11. Mar 31, 2014
    Fairly good as a game, greatly disappointing as Max Payne. Stripped out of comic story telling and chronology. Instead we have inhumanely long and boring cutscenes, achievements and collectibles.
    This leads to situations like this: the person you're protecting from tens of enemies says "Come on Max, they'll be more here in a minute!" and you're like "Ok ok, hang on a minute, there might
    be a gun part in between these flower pots".
    Immensely annoying swapping weapons to your hand gun after EVERY FREAKING cutscene.
    The story is of a different kind. It doesn't feel like you're playing Max Payne at all.
    The constant screen flickering, decomposing and jittering is unnecessary and sometimes irritating too.
    Took me 9 hours on 'casual' and I absolutely suck at shooters.
  12. Mar 22, 2014
    I bought this game on the strength of the last games, and I have to say i'm disappointed with the third. Pros: Great Graphics : Sometimes the dialogue can be entertaining cons: Have you seen how many pros there are! : Story line was predictable and basic, it must have taken them 5min to write : mechanics were a joke! You think that when a big game company like Rock star makes a game (which is basically on rails, i.e go to this room then this room then down this corridor) they would have put more effort in on the story, and the game-play, but they never.

One of the most irritating points in the game, was whenever it went to a cut-scene, (which in total must be the length of a feature length movie) it swapped my current weapon for the pistol, so while ive been collecting bullets for my assault rifle like a stupid idiot, Max decides to forget all that hard work and instead equip my basic pistol when faced with an army of bad guys! why!!!!

They also added some disorientation to nearly every frame of the game which just got annoying towards the end.

Only buy in a steam sale.
  13. Oct 16, 2012
    This is a copy of 'wilddeer' review (see June 15th 2012). He/she said exactly what I feel about this game so I therefore used his/her words -------------------> Shooting gallery, cut scene, shooting gallery, cut scene, nothing, cut scene, shooting gallery, painfully long cut scene. Max, may i open that door? No, cut scene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cut scene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens? No, cut scene will look around for you. Expand
  14. Dec 27, 2013
    These jerks, you need to have a separate RockStart Account to play the game. I already have a steam account that's enough DRM don't you think? I want my money back.... How about a class action suit.... and new shoes
  15. May 25, 2014
    One of the best third person shooters ever made. The story completely sucks you in, and I think it's even more fun to play on hard difficulty. At that point, areas can be frustrating, but very rewarding once you succeed. Yes, Max chooses some bad cover when he enters certain areas, and makes a stupid decision or two that you suffer for, but to me that's all part of the experience. Now quit **** and go be a badass. Expand
  16. Jun 7, 2012
    I have a tendency to go into gun-ho marathons of epic game playing and usually let myself go wild like a kid on Christmas morning, but MP3 makes me want to hold back solely out of not wanting the game to end. Fantastic graphics coupled with a gripping story and great gameplay makes this game a definite contender for GOTY. It is comforting to see a developer not make a game for people who need to have their hands held for the entire experience, not to mention adult themes. Well done Rockstar. Expand
  17. Aug 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have just finished Max Payne 3, and to me it has way too many "minor" annoyances, to warrant anything but an average score. In my case I give it a 6. Too many times where you die because of Max Payne moving in some weirdo way, or having the game force you to defeat a person in a certain way that is definitely ridiculous (one fight where the guy is in cover behind a fence or something where you have to shoot the ceiling out from above him to get him out of cover...). Sometimes your left wondering how many goons each of these supposed rich people have at their disposal, too many of the levels just keep on going and goons just keep on coming at you. I like a long game but when the length is ridiculously done like in Max Payne 3, it gets too much.
    I liked the gun play, I liked how much bullet time control I had, I very much liked the graphics, too much whining about his life though inbetween shootouts.
    When I was done with the game I had a rather sour taste in my mouth and kept thinking "how many goons do I have to kill?" in essence it just seems like some of the fights on the different levels go on for way too long. That said some levels are very well designed, like the abandoned hotel, that level was beyond awesome, and would deserve something like 8 or 10/10.
  18. Nov 25, 2012
    Let me say first that I've never played any Max Payne games before, but I still got the story. The game does an excellent job to convey how broken Max Payne as a character really is. You don't see many protagonists that are drowning in demise and it is an interesting break from the **** testosterone-filled protagonists of other games. You really do feel for the main character and even though I don't know how he lost his kid and wife, I still felt sorrow when he visited their graves. The game does an excellent job weaving it's narrative smoothly with the game play sections by having the player hear Max's thoughts every now and then. All the supporting characters are also well done. They are believable and voice acting is top notch. The game play is is also pretty fun. Bullet Time is great. I love how action packed each encounter is and how satisfying it is to clear a room of baddies with the last kill cam being a slow motion close up of your bullet lodging itself deep into the enemy's skull. The game doesn't shy away from violence as it shows the gritty world Max lives in. The settings of this game is also something worth mentioning. From the favelas of Sao Paolo, Brazil to the gritty and dark concrete of New York City, the game does surprise me at every turn. I see some people here commenting on how cut scenes are prevalent, and they are, but it does wonders for this game. Cut scenes are used to dramatic effect and it really does add to this game. This is definitely one of the best games I've played all year. Expand
  19. ref
    Sep 19, 2012
    Max Payne 3 isn't a bad game, it just does not feel like a Max Payne game if you've played the previous two. The story is fairly straight forward in MP3, you're trying to rescue someone... in Brazil... in daylight most of the time, anyone who's played MP1/2 it does not have the same film noir feel as the others. That's the biggest problem I have with the game honestly, it just doesn't feel like a Max Payne game.

Besides that, it plays extremely well and looks great. Mechanics of the weapons feel and handle great, and feel 'realistic' while still maintaining that arcade-like feel the other Max Payne's had. Max is still voiced by the same guy and performs very well, it's just a shame his inner narration did not sound authentic. Sam Lake just has this great way of writing I suppose.

The score is also very unique, and for the most part, very good.

That's really all I can say, it plays great mechanically and looks fantastic, to me though it was not an authentic Max Payne game and easily could have been sold with another title. Oh, the 1/2 NJ levels were the best as they reminded me of the 'real' Max Payne I remember.
  20. Jun 16, 2012
    I don't know how many hours I've put into this game so far (a lot). This game blows my mind so hard in so many ways that I'll just start listing random awesome features. Visuals are STUNNING and the game runs like butter. The acting taken together with the cutscene animations of the characters make the dialogue so natural that you watch cutscenes slack-jawed. And, even as a Max Payne veteran (bought Max Payne 1 for $50 on Xbox 1) I will tell you that Rockstar innovated Bullet-time to be the most fascinating thing I've ever seen in a game. It never. Ever. Gets old. I don't think killing enemies in a video game will ever feel this satisfying, except in Max Payne 4. Rockstar implemented some awesome system where bullets blast these disgusting entry and exit wounds into people's heads, and wounds anywhere on the body spurt blood. And this is the single most replayable game I've ever played. The only things I would change are allowing players to hit a button to skip cutscenes to make replays of levels less annoying (but you definitely wanna see every cutscene the first time through). And in multiplayer they really need to remove the enemy nametags over people's heads, because I'm always shooting at nametags clear across the map and getting kills, and I know people are doing the same to me. Enjoy. Expand
  21. Jan 18, 2013
    Man, I really can't believe some people are rating this game low because you can't skip cutscenes, wow. Max Payne 3 is one of, if not THE best third person shooter of all time (single-player), if you disgaree you're not a gamer, that is a fact.
  22. Mar 16, 2013
    Great game.compelling story and smooth control.A fan of the series.second only to the first.This is ranked one of the best shooters.As the story gets deeper it brings you in part by part doing a good job in staying fresh and not being repetitive
  23. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was broken up a bit too much by cut scenes, but other than that, I thought this game was fun, had a great story, was immersive and had a lot of violence. I feel it should also be noted that this game, while not the most artistically impressive graphics, looks amazing thanks to a very very strong engine. Great physics, bullet wounds, gun mechanics makes this game look great and make you feel like a real badass, especially in slow motion. This game is also challenging, thanks to not having regenerating health. Expand
  24. Aug 27, 2012
    At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game, it'll take you for one hell of a ride. Expand
  25. Dec 26, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is undoubtedly an excellent game, the gameplay is very well maintained, full of details and nuances that make it quite striking (Whatever is the bullet time and animations during firefights make the experience quite unique and very entertaining) . The story, narrated by Max (The voices are very, very good), is very well developed, using a lot of cutscenes with a "comic" filter (A reference to the other Max Payne). That this for many was a major snag as there are many scenes where want to do something on their own but the game does a cutscene, which makes it very casual parties, since it seems more a movie than a game, not even the majority can be skipped. In paragraph audiovisual technology and Rockstar did a great job, works very fluid, uses advanced DirectX 11 effects, and the soundtrack and the sounds of the weapons are manicured. The multiplayer, pretty simple, serves to fill, not addicting and matchmaking is pretty bad, sometimes entertaining, but the campaign is enough (about 15 hours). Definitely a game is recommended for those who want a simple game linear and explosive style of Hollywood movies. Expand
  26. Dec 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MP3 is a great game - really cool shooter with all the best features taken form previous MPs... All? Nope, unfortunately not, the story of MP3 is about one old dude, whose best time-killers to be drunk and to moan all the time about his hard life etc etc etc. All that he do - drink, moan, kill, moan... Pathetic.
    As an old-hard-boiled fan of MP I really hate Rockstar for killing Max's soul, the soul of noir, deep sadness, revenge moving stroy... Remedy was the best in creating MPs story (eternal respect to Sam Lake), I was really unhappy when heard about the deal between Remedy and Rockstar. At first there was crapped movie about MP, then...
    But in the end - MP3 is not that bad, as you may think from my review. Rockstar has balls in game developing business, the game itself is not total crap.
    I don't want to describe everything for too long, so I'll put it in a nutshell: it would be perfect if the game was named "Die Hard", but not "MP3". It's not Max Payne...
  27. Jun 5, 2012
    Compelling story. The on screen effects are something took a while for me to get used to, and i wasn't sure if I liked it at first. But i definitely do now. The only thing I don't like is that the maps are tiny. In a way I guess it fits the game, but I would have liked to see some bigger maps as well.
  28. Feb 17, 2013
    Best of 2012! A work of art. Exquisite!
    Nothing to complain. They did everything right!
    Excellent visuals, outstanding playability, luxury atmosphere, compelling story.
    The work and dedication have its fruit and is called: Max Payne 3
    Thanks "Rockstar" by this superlative game!
  29. Jun 10, 2012
    Very good game despite some irritating stuff (yes, too many cut-scenes and CoD level). Amazing graphics (very good optimized PC version), perfect animation, detailed world, superb sound... To be clear, it is not Max Payne what I expected but it is still very good Max Payne. There is no noir atmosphere from predecessors but I was prepared for that. It is not a perfect game but if you can forgive minor flows definitely worth buying. Expand
  30. Aug 20, 2012
    An adrenaline fueled behemoth of an action title, but the disturbing plot may be too intense for a few casual gamers, this is third person gunplay at it's most refined.
    The game however is held back by repetitive multiplayer and poor replayability.
  31. Aug 7, 2012
    I really don't know what to say about this game,it's relatively mediocre,but is very well optimized for PC,has amazing graphics.There are also some issues:The cover system is too solid,the game play feels like a rail shooter and the mechanics are very repetitive.So i will let the others judge it better.
  32. Oct 28, 2012
    Max Payne is back and he is angrier and more miserable than ever. I´d say Max Payne 3 is a decent 3rd person shooter. The game-play was fun and the physics and graphics very good. The story though isn´t really touching. I´d hoped for a deeper story and characters to sympathise with from Rockstar! So in a way MP3 is a dissapointment. Some lightglimps in the story but most it just feels like a pretty cheesy transport actually. But like I said, still a decent shooter and I had quite some fun playing it. Expand
  33. Jan 2, 2013
    I love stories that center around its characters and delve into their psychological state. In this way, I found Max Payne 3 to be deeper than the previous two installments. On the outside, the story doesn't contain a thousand plot twists or go into unpredictable directions, rather its depth stems from its brilliant depiction of Max Payne. The simplest of stories can contain the most intricacies, such as a House episode. Other reviews do a great job at explaining the pros and cons in the gameplay. There is a surprising amount of bugs and glitches for such a linear game. Many will get you killed, and considering the hardcore difficulty, it can be annoying. The difficulty is by no means a bad thing though, I love that a prominent developer finally has the baIIs to make a game that involves skill, and where where your HP gauge doesn't automatically replenish itself. Beating stages was very satisfying and the difficulty extended the duration of the story to a good 20 hours. Expand
  34. Dec 16, 2012
    This is one of those games which could be pure awesomeness but developer obviously tried too hard and - FAILED. Graphics is good. Even gameplay is good. But... There are animated sequences all over the game. You can hardly play for 1-2 minutes without be interupted with animated sequence. Game is soo linear that even moving from 1 room to another is animated sequence. AI is terrible. AND WORSE and most annoying thing is that when you die you are always returned on checkpoint BEFORE animated sequence which usually cannot be skipped. So each time you die you are forced to watch same sequence again. Without this things which make this game unplayable game would probably be 9 or 10! Expand
  35. Jun 9, 2012
    Graphics- 10 Gameplay- 8 Soundtrack- 10 Story- 9 Absolutely incredible game! As a fan of MP1 & 2 i can attest that the "max Payne" feel is still there, even halfway across the world. You dont have to be a fan of the series to enjoy this game though. The graphics are amazing hands down. I'm looking to purchase the soundtrack cause it's that awesome. The game play is fun, engaging and challenging with various options such as tactical maneuvers, using cover, crouch and prone while still having a 360 degree firing arc. The story and cut-scenes was also engaging making it difficult to decide that you've played for too long in one sitting. Feels like your playing a 10 million dollar budget Hollywood movie. Only annoyances i really found was the switching of weapons when coming out of a cut scene. takes too long to switch to, drop and pickup a rifle. Also for those looking for the collectible second time around the cut-scenes are a bit long to wait through. Other than that, it's a superb title and a must for anyone into smart FPS'. Expand
  36. Jun 14, 2012
    Different?? Yes. But did Rockstar keep to the roots of Max?? YES! Does this game deserve a "0" rating?? NO not at all! '0" to me means NOTHING at all is good and that is certainly not the case with this addition to the Max series. Been in computing since the 70's and have a little idea of the internal makings of a game...Rockstar did their homework AND is following up as well to make for a great gaming experience. Don't like the cutscenes? I suppose we all loved the graphic panels in 1 & 2, because in my mind they are one and the same. Not going into particulars as the play-ability of the game speaks for itself. No 10 cause that means all perfect, but a strong 9 and the urge for all pc gamers to check this baby out!! Nice Rockstar...and Remedy agrees!! Expand
  37. Jul 6, 2012
    Good game series and story, but Max Payne 3 had a few glitches and issues where i died and shouldn't have. Plus the game was NOT worth $60, a very short game for that amount. Next time ill wait till its on sale.
  38. JEK
    Mar 18, 2013
    I can see there are lots of negative comments. Are you kidding me? Some commented that they don't like the name of football team, the game is serious. Lol. This is a great game. The story is awesome. Pyscho- Thriller action packed game. What more can you ask for. Nice Job Rockstar!
  39. Aug 12, 2012
    I spend half an hour on registering to this Rocstar Game Club only to find out our beloved dark, noir, gritty Max Payne is now bright, happy, brazilian partyman with a love for uncotrollable screen effects that burned my retinas.
  40. Apr 18, 2014
    Been a big fan of the first 2 Max Payne games so when this went out I was excited... until the mixed reviews came out and decided to wait for a Steam sale. It came and got this for for $5.

Holy **** It's far from the original and 'far' as downwards kind of 'far'. I don't know what Rockstar was thinking but Max has been turned into an gun-crazy GTA-style idiot. He always goes for the
    crazy idiot gunfight approach. The bad guy is in a police station? Charge into the police station with guns in open armpit holsters in broad daylight through the front **** door! Trying to hide from the bad police guys? Run to the bus station and shoot everyone that follows! Trying to find the gang leader? Charge into their town with guns hanging from your holsters and start shooting everyone! The bad guy is in the airport? Charge through the front door and shoot everyone! Why not just go for a sniper rifle and wait for the bad guy to be less protected? No because that is gay! It feels so Grand Theft Auto bombastic testosterone crazy! Always goes for the stupidest cover! Kick down the door into a room full of bad guys and he goes for what? The metal trash can? The corner wall? The ledge? No! He goes for the **** standing suitcase as cover! Always goes for the flimsiest cover all the time! He tries to sneak in cinematics but always gets the enemies to see him and start attacking! **** STUPID! Also no dark brooding environments! The only thing this game has that is impressive is the dialog Max Payne makes when talking to the himself! All the other characters are stupid and behave like morons! What a shameless game! If you like stupid shooters super devoid of common sense this is for you! Expand
  41. Sep 27, 2012
    Well yes this game has too much and long cutscenes but it is impressive how smooth the cutscenes and gameplay are.This game takes 10 hours to complete and i had to say this game is LONG compared to other games like cod battlefield and co. The noir style which i loved in the first games has disappeared ...very sad. But like i said this game is solid so BUY IT.
  42. Jan 5, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a game featuring natural and entertaining shooting mechanics, however this is not where the game shines its brightest. It contains some of the best writing I have seen in a video game. It immerses you in a story with a memorable setting and with deep and complex themes that will keep you thinking. The game plays out in a book form, with Max Payne narrating. This is something that must be understood before someone plays the game. If they expect a typical game with constant action, they will be bored quickly. There are a lot of cut scenes. To many this is an issue, but I felt the cut scenes played an important part in making the game a story-like experience. Apart from the writing, technically this game is a masterpiece. The animations for the characters make the shooting satisfying and add to the immersion of the game. If you are prepared for a very linear but perfectly crafted experience, than May Payne is perfect for you. Expand
  43. Nov 13, 2012
    Wow, kudos to Rockstar. Seriously, It's like you had Croteam advise you on how to resurrect a franchise. I was a big fan of the original Max Payne's nail biting, "did I use too many painkillers?", get the first shot game play, and that is exactly what Rockstar gave me. This game is well optimized for the PC, and looks and feels great. I cracked into the old MPs like a week or two before this came out, and the game play transition from playing old to new felt natural, which is a great sign. This game might have garnered a perfect score from me were it not for minor things, like inability to control the flow of cut scenes, some excessive load times and the sometimes frustrating nature of Rockstar social club's utility. These can all be corrected with a single patch, however, that I have seen. Those people giving this game a 0 solely based on the cut scene annoyance really need to stop and separate their anger from reality before they review something. Sure, it's a glaring flaw, but it's not game-breaking. Game play is solid, story is still total Max Payne, graphics and features are tight, added multi-player is a blast....where are these scads of 3PS's that in their eyes were done better? That is in fact Rhetoric.....because they don't exist. We could use a patch or two, but still, great job Rockstar, and I highly recommend this game to any old fan of Max Payne, or anybody who really likes a challenging third person shooter. (It's also one of the harder shooters to come out lately) MAX PAYNE IS BACK!! Expand
  44. Mar 30, 2013
    @1440p max settings x4MSAA SLI 680. The game ran at 60fps 95% of the time and virtual memory topped at about 1850MB through out the entire game. The game looks and handles really well. The story and mood of the game was really fun to experience. The game is has extremely repetitive gun play. You basically bullet time, cover, head shot the whole game. But the story, sound and moodiness of the game makes you forget about it. Well worth $20 on a Steam sell. Game play is about 12hrs. Expand
  45. Dec 30, 2012
    What can I say aside from rockstar created a master piece.. The cut scenes are awesome, story is kind of cool but I don't exactly like how max (the main character) goes out and continues to drink nearly every night but I guess its for the fun.. Well rockstar, you created a great game, i believe it was worth my $60 thank you
  46. Jan 20, 2013
    There is only two words I can use to describe this game are "masterpiece" and "epic". You're literally playing a movie with a great story. The mechanics are easy, approachable, and fluid. Was ported very well also.
  47. Nov 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is essentially a series of cutscenes with some player interaction in between, not the other way around. In one part for example, you leave a cutscene, walk about 20 metres very slowly with nothing happening around you and enter another cutscene. Why even bother. Why not just make the whole game a cutscene and be done with it. Too often, the cutscenes end with no real signs that you have control and you watch yourself die in various ways before thinking "Oh. I had control there did I?".

The combat is good, but its not Max Payne, more generic cover based 3rd person combat (think GTA4) but with slow motion button. Shootdodge is generally suicide due to the open environments of the game. The crosshair is very small, as in the previous games. The difference is the cross hair doesnt show when you're in cover, so when you jump up to shoot, you have to wait for it to appear.

The game also has a tendency to choose the wrong camera angle for the corner at hand so the enemy can see you before you see them. This can be rectified but requires going into cover at various angles to get it to change. If you activate slow motion, the enemies start shooting before you even leave cover. Literally as soon as you toggle slow motion, they start shooting. If you have an assault rifle out and enter a cutscene, you will probably leave the cutscene with that pistol you have with no ammo and you probably "dropped" the assault rifle somewhere as you no longer have it. If you're in good cover during a cutscene, you can be sure that Max will run out into the middle of the enemies before giving you back control and allowing you to run straight back to the cover you were just in.

Moving on to the story, its just frustrating. The game makes all the important decisions for you, and in almost every case Max just does something absolutely stupid. For example, running out from good cover into the middle of a room full of enemies and hiding behind some suitcases. If you want a game where you are essentially the damage control for your characters endless stupid decisions, this is it.

The game scores 5 in my opinion because when it works its good fun, but its let down far to frequently by just pure irritation.
  48. Jan 26, 2013
    I love this game. Although the gameplay is a some what repetitive, the story is amazing and the graphics beautiful. Bullet Time is better than ever and you will need it to stay alive, because this game is hard. The only thing that's wrong about the story is that almost everyone dies, but the rest of the story is perfect. I also think that this game has one of the most underrated multiplayer modes of all time, it's extremely deep and fun. Too bad almost no one plays it. If you like crime movies, good stories, slow motion and just a well made game, pick this one up. Expand
  49. Dec 7, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game but its not for everyone. I loved the game, the action is great but the game feels like one long action movie where you play the shooting scenes and I can see some people having a problem with this. Once again rockstar succeeds with the story from Max Payne 3 even though it is not as dark as the previous two titles. Max Payne is also a beautiful game, this helps when watching the cutscenes (unskippable). Personally I loved Max Payne 3 and fans of the series should play it the gameplay is much the same with a new cover feature, so it you like slow motion action look no further. Expand
  50. Mar 5, 2013
    Fantastic, My favorite video game ever, great graphics and visual effects, a game-play that doesn't get boring or less amusing even after multiple game plays, and Max is the deepest, most depressing, most-living video game character I've ever played with.
  51. Apr 29, 2013
    Bullet time is just fun, the game is challenging in it's own right and it is fun. The Brazillian themes and level design really deserves the praise. Story keeps you interested long enough, although not being able to skip cutscenes might hinder some replayability but that was not too bothersome. It is a great game and worth your money especially if it is on sale.
  52. Jan 25, 2013
    After I played both prequels, I was worried they could have changed the meaning of payne like others did because the understanding of video games changed in the past few years. But, after all, I am very excited about what was produced by Rockstar and how they could connect the game to its prequels. The athmosphere is awesome. Seldom felt like being that in a game instead of sitting infront of a monitor and just playing. Music fits great to the surrounding and the story is one of that good old scool action hero movie style tales. I guess all most negative comments are written from guys who played the payne to relaxe or next to 2 or 3 other games. To get the best out of that game you have to treat it like a good book. Just enjoy it once in a while in the afternoon and play it chapter for chapter. Great stuff! Expand
  53. Mar 13, 2013
    This is the first game, that I have ever given a 10 out of 10. For this genre, it's the absolute best you could get. It's a masterpiece! The story is great, you feel like you really know Max Payne as a person and can feel how depressed he is, he isn't just a stupid lifeless video game character. The game play is even better than the previous two, as it capitalized and expanded on all of the features introduced in the original games. You really can't ask for any more in this genre. Now I don't have a single problem with the game, however I do have a problem with many reviews on this site, discouraging people from buying the game, as it almost did for me. For example, on steam forums, multiple posts have said something like this "Was psyched about buying the game until I saw the reviews". As there were probably many more that didn't post on the forums. I think that Metacritic should really think about taking some of those bullsh*t forums off that are affecting the rating, and discouraging customers from buying. Secondly, the most common "fault" in this game (according to the negative reviews on this site) mainly consist jibber-jabber about the length and inability to skip cut scenes. Now I don't know if you guys just are posting bullsh*t reviews for fun, or if there actually was an update recently, because I swear, that in the bottom right side of the screen during every cut scene there is a button saying "press enter to skip". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That's almost 200 reviews of 0's and 1's that are dragging this truly incredible game's user score down to a 7.4/10. It really is an exaggeration when someone says "shoot, cut scene, shoot." I mean, people MUST be just posting stupid reviews for fun. Furthermore on the cut scenes, the cut scenes are what separate this game from the average third person shooter, IT GIVES IT A STORY, I mean it's not like they are boring, well unless your not a fan of the action movie genre. So seriously, skip them if you want, the rest of us will watch and enjoy, and if you REALLY HATE games with a story, then please, do us a favor, and go back to call of duty, or one of those other midless shooters. Overall, the reviewers of this game really need to cut the crap, and open their eyes to the button in the corner of the screen that allows you to skip cut scenes. Keep it up, Rockstar, you continue to make games that impress, and wow the action game genre of video game players. Expand
  54. Feb 28, 2013
    It's a awesome Singleplayer experience. The Multiplayer is almost unplayable, because many server problems and a lot of settings, including the firewall.
  55. Feb 11, 2013
    The gameplay is good, but the camera confuses you sometime. The best part of the game is the story. The narrative in the game does not let the story vague. The voice of the Max demonstrates his loneliness.
  56. Mar 7, 2013
    I liked every single aspect of the game except the cover system....it is very lame...u h to be very precise bfor coming out or sum1 wil shoot u... the gameplay is totally awesome bt the cover system is the only reason i hv given it a 9...
  57. Aug 31, 2014
    Just hating on this game for annoying DRM practices.

Can't even start games up these without having to sign in to some **** platform, I already have steam, is that not good enough?

Also **** Ubisoft's Uplay aswell.
  58. Feb 7, 2014
    i really enjoyed this game , the development of max payne's character along with the story is well done ,and the gameplay is fun as ever making the best use of bullet time , as we were used to in the previous games , and in my opinion this is the best max payne game for me
  59. Nov 1, 2013
    Max Payne and Max Payne 2 were groundbreaking and innovative games that were released more than a decade or so ago. Everything about them was awesome, like the never seen before bullet time, the cool looking comic-page cutscenes, and the amazing story and gameplay. Skip to 2012 and Rockstar release Max Payne 3, this time more different in many ways to its predecessors. Firstly, while the previous games were set in the cold, dark, snowy nights of L.A., this game is set mostly in the blaring heat of Sao Paulo, Brazil and I didn't really appreciate it because it didn't feel like Max Payne anymore. Secondly, the comic-page cutscenes are gone as well to be replaced with motion scenes and I was a bit bothered as well by this because it was starting to feel less and less like the Max Payne we knew and loved. Another thing about the cutscenes in this game was that there were too much and control was taken away from the gamer a lot, yet the cutscenes were awesome and worth it. I could keep comparing the game to its predecessors but I think you get my point.

Max Payne has a strong storyline supported by great animations and brilliant voice acting. No character feels or sounds cheesy thanks to the animations and the talent of the cast members. The animations, while although can't compare with Crysis 2 or God of War 3, are still pretty neat and clear. As you travel through the slums of Sao Paulo you begin to see the insane amount of detail put into buildings and the environment around you. The story is different this time around, Max is still haunted by the memories of his murdered wife and and child, but this time he is protecting some rich family. Obviously things don't go well and someone gets kidnapped and its up to Max to wreak hell and get her back. The ending was a bit predictable but overall, the story was very immersing. One of the main things we as an audience love about Max Payne is the amount of ass he kicks. The game has strong violence and strong language as well yet in a game like this you cannot have one without the other. As you face waves of enemies after enemies, you have no choice but to spray the walls and the floor with their blood. There a different guns to choose from yet all of them have the same objective: kill. The use of bullet time is really handy in this game and it is crucial for you to use it in order to survive certain parts of the game. Plus, the game looks hell cool in slo-mo.

Overall, while this game might be different to its predecessors, it doesn't mean that it is bad. It is a great game yet not a game worthy of then. I urge every gamer to play it.
  60. Jul 3, 2013
    I take off 2 points for failure to pass chatter. The graphics and attention to detail is awesome, just a great optimization as well as animation and physics as. Payne kicked everyone's ass once again. I wish the next game was in the style of the first game of the series. This is still the strongest game of the series.
  61. Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An alternative name for this game would be "Linear Tales of a Frantic Headshooter". I've never played a more linear and stereotype game. Basically you only watch cutscenes and headshot enemies. Even the shooting and gameplay gets old quite fast. I was also extremely sick of the depressed over-emotional superhuman that Max Payne had become. No deep and meaningful thoughts or revenge to follow. Zero atmosphere, zero detective, zero immersion, only 24/7 whining over everything that happens in the game. Plus it's a brand new world, I was hoping that this game would bring up my memories from old Max Payne. Michelle, dark noir, flashbacks, the feels, the nightmares, the junkies, the story, snowing in the night. Nope, none of it. If you changed Max Payne object for some John Smith and changed 0.1% of the game, you would not even recognize it has to do something with Max Payne world.

Also, I don't think the creators have played this game. After every cutscene Max switches from his whatever currently equipped to a simple beretta. Every time. Whatever you are holding, even it was the HUMAN DESTROYER MACHINE GUN 9001. And it is not even easy to switch back to the gun you held, sometimes you accidentally drop it during the switching. Not to mention many, many, many details and imperfections and annoying mechanics in this game, seriously ffs.

I must say I wanted to recommend this game. For a long time I really wanted, I tried very hard. The only thing that wanted me to recommend were level design and music. Hell those things gave me genuine shivers. I got many "whoa omg wow much epic" moments because of it. It is the only reason why you should play it and trust me you will be stunned. However everything else perfectly balances out this epicness and I'm afraid in the end you are not going to be that pleased.
  62. Dec 11, 2013
    I do not like these cutscenes. With all this psycho filter You can skip some Cutscenes, others not.
    It is a complete waste of time.The gameplay is also horrible. The AI has a response time which is abnormally high.
    One could say the AI is good, no they bad. enemy running around like frightened chickens.
    Many opponents are triggered.
    And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you
    are flying against an obstacle with Shootdodge it breaks off.
    Last Stand...if you have no ammo you can not use it. If you do not see your target, you can not use it.
    The bullets do not come out of the gun the game pretends it only .
    You can hit enemys when your weapon is stuck in a wall if your aiming dot points to them. But you can not hit an opponent when the weapon is stuck in a opponent, when the Crosshair does not point to him.
    The annoying weapon switching after every cutscene and you in the whole i can say that the gameplay is totally up .

Many battles after you start a cutscene. You can find yourself in the worst possible position behind a cover. Because Max is entered other rooms only in cutscenes. There is no opportunity for the player to play for an advantage.

The level design is really good very detailed. But for a third person shoot dodge game the maps are too small, they just do not fit the gameplay.

The game requires fast reactions and movements. But Max reacts like an old fat ass.

Not to mention the story compared to the other parts of Max Payne are just horrible.

Next time Rockstar, more Game and less Entertainment.
  63. Sep 18, 2013
    Beats out all the other previous Max Paynes. The games great for the PC. Its beautifully optimised. Graphics are very detail and great. The gameplay is superb.
  64. Dec 4, 2013
    Welcome to a shooter-gallery that holds your hand and treats you like a drooling idiot!

I could mention and rage about the fact, that max payne took 100 steps away from his noir-feeling and awesome comic-strip-storytelling.
    I could rage about his MTV-like flickering tranistions in the unskippable chores of cutscenenes.
    I could hit my head against the monitor after the agonizing
    account-hell called "Rockstar Club".
    (after denying my fresh created account-data it gave me some random name and let me wait for another 15 minutes. Although my steam account should be enough!?)
    But I will start with the one (not even that) positive thing in this "Game":
    The Animations.
    Enemies move smoothly from cover to cover and dodge our bullets with well animated moves.
    But thats it. I can't think about one other nice thing the game contributed.

The Shootouts feel challenging but not right. Someone wrote that Max Paynes Cover IS the bullet-Time. And so it shouldn't feel so useless with forced in cover-mechanics and Insta-Deaths!
    The Gunfights are mostly a short coverbased casual-bore between the force-fed cutscenes.

The rest of the game seems to give a shat about he player and puts a fishinghook through our nose to drag us from one flickering cutscene to the next.
    Rockstar seems to think we are all brainless dumbsters. Too stupid to use a mouse and shoot at things.
    Best and most hilarious example is the first (short) "Tutorial" that makes us read how we move the mouse and press the left butten.
    Seriously!
    I couldn't believe how patronizing and blatant despising this looks.
    WTF?! You think I am too stupid to shoot at things in a shootergame?!

And why do you have to force me watching your flickering cutscenes for people with the attention-span of a hyperactive toad?! I can't even wrap my head around this anymore. This is just a proof of a failing gaming industry that chums up with the brainless crazies that swarm like zombies into a black friday shopping riot.

I really don't know if I have to feel sorry for you or feel angry. In either way I hope you get bankrupt after the cod-kiddies that consume everybit of your "interactive entertainment" are bored once more and need another stimulating kick in their burnt up synapses.

I regret even spending the little money on the autumn-sale on Steam for this abomination.

Max Payne 3. A maximum payne in the....
  65. Oct 28, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is my game of the decade. i don't remember last time when i screamed like a kid while shooting goons in mid air with pistol in one hand and fully automatic in another,bullets zipping past by me in slow motion,seeing the air around you slowly woven with spiraling bullets, fractured glass, and plumes of shredded paper. massively fun, inhuman violent. ragged bullet wounds, charred flesh, dismembered limbs. sweet sweet blood. lots of it. Collapse
  66. Nov 8, 2013
    So before starting this review I must say that I haven't played any of the previous Max Payne games. That being said, I did enjoy this game quite a bit. Looking back at it, the story wasn't incredibly special, but the way it was told was the best part of the game. This game had a cut-scene after almost every room, which I enjoyed a lot. Max Payne's narration was just incredible, and kept me interested throughout the game. Some people complained that the cut-scenes restricted the players freedom, but I had no problem with it. This is not an open world game either, though I thought it was since it was made by Rockstar. As a fan of video games, I bought this game with all DLC at around $10 and don't regret it a bit. Expand
  67. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is simply awesome. Totally one of my favourite games. Story, phisics, music everything is perfect. And, thats it. Multiplayer is pretty awesome too.
  68. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is awful and I suggest not paying for this. At first, the game was crashing due to some "Rockstar Social Club" validation errors. After a few days of complaining a patch was released to fix the issues. I was able to play the game for a few days before it started crashing again due to "Social Club" issues. Also the gameplay is terrible and I concur with the reviewers that mentioned the game plays more like a movie, than a game you're continously loosing control of your character. Expand
  69. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't understand why the reviews for this game are so high. We're talking a linear shooting gallery with lots of cut scenes. I enjoyed a few things, the story's dark noir feel which is in line with the previous game, and the bullet time effects are cool. Enemies respond realistically to being shot (most of the time) which I also enjoyed. It performs well on PC, and doesn't feel like a port. The shooting mechanics are pretty smooth, and the game is challenging. That's about it though, you have no freedom in this game whatsoever. Most of the time I was moving the game even forced me into one particular path. On that path is shooting galleries in which I barely moved. You will watch loads of cut scenes too. The length is awful, It took me thirteen hours to complete the campaign on normal (and I died many times), and at least two hours of that play time was spent watching cut scenes. There's just not enough content or game play to warrant to warrant such a high score. Expand
  70. Dec 7, 2013
    I found this game in between the lines of awful and fantastic. The main thing that killed part of my love of
    Max Payne 3's amazing game was that he, lost his good sense of humor and become a depressed person who wants to kill him self constantly The gameplay and graphics were brilliant I loved the co-op and muiltiplayer mode the bullet time ideas were fantastic and I would recommend.
  71. Dec 8, 2013
    This is a great "game" if you like watching a ton of cut-scenes and then walking few meters while going for the next cut-scene. Literally at worst after one cut-scene you'll walk down a stairway just to watch another one. I'm really glad I bought this game for cheap from a Steam sale. Such a same though since I really liked the original Max Payne games made by Remedy.

Personally for me
    even the story isn't as interesting as in the previous games which makes the long cut-scenes even more tedious.

On a positive note the game works OK and game play wise (shooting etc.) it plays quite similarly to the old Max Payne games.
  72. Dec 15, 2013
    I didn't bother playing this game on any difficulty under "hard" and it seems like that's the way the game was meant to be played.

The gameplay is very fun. You keep a feeling of mortality the entire time and thus have to carefully plan out your moves or else be forced to replay the scene. Every room is well designed for an action-packed gunfight, even though it really leaves it
    entirely up to you how you will go about it.

As many people have said and been outraged with, the cutscenes can be long, and it takes a bit before you can skip them. I had no problem with this, however, as the story is very good. If you expect to replay the campaign several hundred times or suffer from untreated ADHD, this might bother you. Otherwise it only contributes to the masterpiece.

The graphics are absolutely stunning. Especially for the time of release, but even still. The environments are full of life in the immediate area, and the distant scenery immerses you in the setting. The environments are constantly changing, from a nightclub rooftop, to the Panama Canal, to the dark, snowy streets of Hoboken. The constant changes in scenery keep things very interesting whilst at the same time aiding the plot.

The violence is pretty extreme (a plus, in my opinion) and gives you a view of bullets entering the faces of your enemies as they wince in pain. You can usually tell when you've scored a kill, not only because the reticule changes color but also because of an awesome spurt of blood from the enemy's head/face.

The entire way through, Max also mutters hundreds of cynical and sometimes hilarious comments about whatever is happening. It's easy to become attached to the main characters with all of the depth and detail that Rockstar provided. With the added subtleties and implications in the story, I think this could easily make a great film

It's disappointing to see so many unsatisfied players and bad reviews. This game instantly made its way to my all-time favorites. I would recommend it to anyone.

... But make sure you play it on hard difficulty!
  73. Dec 25, 2013
    I've bought this game on Steam for €4.,95 and I enjoyed MP I II. This game really sucks. Time spend on this game will be either watching cut scenes or watching your self die. U die all the time so you just don't care about what happens next u'll die anyway for sure and spend 30+ tries to survive one encounter.
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but
    the game still sucks. Like a Hollywood block buster where everything is repetitive and you just know what's gonna happen. Too much money and to little actual gaming. What a wasted opportunity. Expand
  74. Jan 6, 2014
    I highly recommend this game The game has a very good storyline nice gameplay and authentic characters There is no reason why you shouldn't buy it This game is amazing
  75. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is the definition of how stupid devs think players are. If you "die", you get a 98% autoaimed, 1 shot kill, superslowmotion, no more damaged, moment that the game makes shure that if you would miss the shot you would probably would have to get put in a mental hospital for how bad you aim. And if you have fought through a long area and have not much hp left and die? well let the game respawn you just a few meter behind your death with full hp, making painkillers much more usless. And this is all on hard. The difficulty of the max payne games drops as the year they're made in increases.
    And not to mention the devs seems like they felt unoriginal enough to hop on the "lets pretend we came up with these locations in some far country where terrorist operate" train. The game has lost its original dark feeling of max payne 1 and 2. You are just a soldier working for others. And terrorists feel like killing people.
  76. Jun 11, 2014
    Its an OK game. The story line is OK, it works for a video game. The mechanics, fit for Max Payne. The graphics are pretty good. Some things that really f'n bother me. W T F with the asinine cut scenes. I am not saying they sucked or that there were too many, but why in gods name do video games want to think for me. Two instances: The first one, when you are in the slums and there are three people being held in a room at gun point, you just fought an army to get here and instead of giving you the chance to AT LEAST SLOW TIME THROUGH THE DOOR and kill as many as you can, NO, you are going to be a dumb ass and walk in and try to talk it over. W T F.

Second instance, having the shootout with another army of bad guys at the graveyard, which is way over the top of realism, but works for a PC arcade game, there is a sniper in the tower, your mission is to flank him and take him out, but you must do it it parts as you have to run to cover. Every time you run to cover a bunch of bad guys come out of this building and you have to shoot them to move on, finally flanking the sniper and killing him. This is all fine and dandy, BUT THEN LIKE YOUR F'N BRAINS FELL OUT WHILE YOU WERE WALKING UP THE STAIRS TO THE BUILDING THAT ALL THE BAD GUYS WERE JUST POURING OUT OF, you casually walk inside looking to hide and BAMN! instantly surrounded by all of the bad guys that had yet to run out and get shot by you. W T F.

I understand that story writing is a disappearing art, but really, you cannot find better ways for the story to progress then to take a character that is supposed to be experienced and have them do all of these smart things, and then walk into situations like he just fell off the F'N turnip truck.

Please, STOP MAKING DECISIONS for gamers during game-play. It is bad enough when a game is so linear that I have to follow a line that any sensible person knows is going to end up badly, but this game takes those options off the table. Not only must you follow that line, but you will watch in a form of stupification on what you had to do, then watch a cut-scene where you infinitely facepalm yourself for realizing that even though you knew this was going to end badly, there is not anything you can do about it.

Graphics 7, audio 7, gameplay outside of pre-made decisions 6, story line 6, linear game 5, constantly kicking the player in the nuts after every fight or unchangeable decision 10, but this really is a negative aspect so 1.

The game is not state of the art, and the decisions the hero makes reverses any amount of coolness you may have just pulled off in bullet time. Over all the game gets a 5.

Rockstar, we all know you can do better. Please stop settling on this crap.If you need guidance, look at your other games like L.A. Noire and GTA V.
  77. Jun 15, 2014
    I'm simply amazed by the effort that Rockstar put into the development of the PC version. I have heard that this one is not a port, but a game that was simultaneously developed along with its console counterparts. By seeing the way Rockstar optimized this game for PC, I can, without a doubt, say that GTA V on PC is going to be pretty awesome.
  78. Aug 13, 2014
    There is no Max Payne 3. It looks nice, it is out there along with all the other good looking games, it has all the whistles and bells for a good decent game, you know, the gangsta stuff R.star is good at. But this is not Max Payne 3. Play MP 1&2 and my affirmation will make sense.
  79. May 12, 2013
    Max payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm glad I did. Fight scenes are pretty realistic, and weapon handling and mechanics are realistic and good too (you can only carry 2 handguns and 1 big gun). Story is pretty good, but I didn't follow some stuff (i'm retarded like that). The only problem is that the game weighs in at 30 GB which is massive (it obliterated my download quota).

I don't really care about multiplayer, but the single player rocks! I also didn't mind the trippy visuals, like some people did.

I think PC game fans are being very ungrateful. Even if this is a console port (I absolutely detest consoles and consoletards), they've done a superb job of it and it is eminently playable on PC.
  80. Jan 18, 2013
    Uno de los mejores juegos a los que he jugado últimamente. La historia y estilo narrativo de la misma, engancha desde el primer momento. Si a eso le sumamos el estilo de juego que sigue el patrón de la primera y segunda parte aunque en un entorno muy diferente (Brasil, representado de una manera que te hace sentir verdaderamente allí), obtenemos una tercera parte que está a la altura de la saga y que no defraudara ni a los que jugaron a las anteriores partes, como a los que se sumerjan en el mundo y vida de Max Payne por primera vez. Expand
  81. Aug 14, 2012
    Max Payne of old with all the crap of modern shooters added. Too many cutscenes, too much scripted action and far too much cover and narrow environments. I played the game through for some of the core Max Payne game but could not help but be disappointed. It is worth playing if your a fan but bare in mind you will be constantly annoyed by all the new elements added to the game that serve to remove the core game play and induce cover based nonsense. Expand
  82. Jan 17, 2013
    Not great as Max Payne 1 and 2, but actually a very good game. I've played this after Borderlands and there are abysmal differences. Max Payne, intended as game and not only as the character, has always so much charisma and class, unlike Borderlands and other FPS & TPS. The game has a good plot and it's very enjoyable and satisfying, with only a few situations maybe a little too difficult and frustrating. A must to play for old school Max Payne lovers and not. A really good graphic with a good optimization, and a great sound sample for weapons. Expand
  83. Apr 7, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a very tough game to review, at times it's blundering, overly cinematic and linear, at others its brilliantly violent, dynamic and clever. I have yet to play a game with this many ups and downs in my opinion on it. However, I finished the game with a huge smile on my face and an eagerness to go through it again.

The first thing you will notice is of course the change in
    setting, Max Payne 3 switches the grimy streets of New York for Sao Paolo brazil. Max Payne is no longer a sharp wisecracking detective but an aging, incompetent drunk. The sequences of him drinking and popping painkillers and talking about how much he hates himself get old really quickly, however within this overused cliche Rockstar develops a strange relationship between the character and the player. Much of Max Payne 3 is spent watching Max act in extremely stupid ways (in one scene he busts into a hostage situation, outnumbered 10 to one and just says "drop the guns", in another, he wanders down the streets of brazil in a Hawaiian shirt asking people for directions before inevitably getting robbed.) and you, the player, having to bail him out of his situations withy our superior shooting skills. You, the player, will come to hate Max as much as he hates himself, whether it is intentional or not it was a clever way of getting the idea across.

The game is made up of cinematic sequences (QTE style set pieces), escort missions, vehicle levels, occasional "boss battles" with heavily armed enemies, and open ended shootouts with multiple enemies. It is when Max is alone, outnumbered and has to shoot his way out that the game really shines. The gunplay is generally brilliant on a level not even achieved by MP1 or 2. Environments are almost fully destructible, the rag-doll physics are really well done, and shoot-dodging has a whole different feeling to it. Max now interacts with his environment. if you shoot dodge into a wall, max will hit his head and land on his face, having to correct himself before being able to get a clear shot at anything, this means shoot dodgning is no longer an easy answer to everything, it can go horribly wrong and you actually have to plan your moves. It is in this mechanic that the game truly shines, each gunfight plays out differently depending on your actions, and is generally a joy to play through. The other sequences on the other hand, can be god awful. Vehicle sequences drag on and seem ridiculous, escort missions missions get obnoxious as the game plays a cutscene of your buddy dying if you fail to meet certain perameters which the game is not clear to you about. This can be extremely frustrating. In one sequence I managed to outsmart a sniper by hidning behind the wall he was sniping from, the game then played a cutscene of max wandering out into the open (despite the fact that i was taking cover) and getting shot, meaning i had to restart the sequence. The game does this a lot, requiring you to do EXACTLY as the game intended, even if there are other solutions, and punishing you by playing a cutscene of Max or one of his friends getting killed and a "Mission Failed" screen. This is not OK in my book, the game can be disgustingly linear during these sequences. Luckily near the end of the game, Max goes it alone and these sequences become less plentiful. The last 4 or so levels of the game are brilliant, featuring almost exclusively brilliantly sculpted shootout.

Like the gameplay, Max Payne 3 doesn't know exactly what it wants to be storywise. The first 6 or so hours feel like a michael bay movie, with cheesy dialogue and really stupid cutscenes. Eventually things take a turn for the darker, max payne is left with no one to talk to but himself as he must unravel an intricate plot in neo-noir fashion, and a lot of people die. The game sort of finds itself and resolves beautifully, despite its many misteps.

The story took me about 12 hours, at the end there is both the option to play through each chapter of the story, even allowing you to load individual checkpoints to skip all the crappy levels, or Arcade mode. Arcade mode allows you to play through the levels with a score counter, trying to beat the high score, you can also choose your player skin (including old school max payne, which is hilarious) and other paramters. I had a lot of fun doing this, the replay value on this game is very high for a story based shooter.

A lot of people here are saying that you can't skip cutscenes, that is not quite true. You have to watch cutscenes while the game is loading, however once its done loading you can skip them, most of the mandatory pre game sequences which you have to watch after you die last 5 seconds at most, so its really not that bad. One big complaint is that on the PC version you cannot alt tab, this is a big problem.

Overal max payne 3 had me cheering at bits and screaming and cursing at others, its a flawed game, but the brilliant gunplay makes it worth it.
  84. Mar 15, 2013
    Currently on regular sale on steam for under a tenner, Max Payne 3 happily fills the linear action shooter niche, complete with laughable dialogue and well-paced action. The story is predictably hammy throughout, yet pleasingly self-referential. Cover-glitch issues and unskippable cut-scenes sadly pull this down into an 8/10, but there isn't any to match what Max can bring. Read more at http://teachergamer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/max-payne-3.html Expand
  85. Jul 1, 2014
    Got MP3 on Steam for about 9€ with all DLC included. I haven't played other max payne titles so I'm not particularly attached to franchise in any way, nor did I had great expectations.

For a 3rd preson shooter PC game, the gameplay and mechanics are well thought and the graphics are pretty good. Textures have reasonable. Physics and environment destructibility are also OK, but nothing
    to radical.

On the campaign and the story as a whole it's pretty meh...I mean it's not bad it's just nothing out of your ordinary action plot, and sometimes you might even predict certain outcomes. The story is also pretty linear. The quantity cutscenes in this game may not appeal to some, but I suppose it's part of the action driven movie formula kinda game...Overall it's a good a game for less than 10€.
  86. Dec 23, 2012
    Overall, this is a fun game and really deserves a 7 but I gave it an 8 to balance out the haters. The main problem is that the developers forgot to make a the game itself fun and focused entirely on creating cut scenes and story. The story and cut scenes are entertaining but it appears that's where all of their creativity went. All the enemies are exactly the same except the rare bosses. The developers tried to make it feel different by changing the environment and uniforms but it still feels the same. The later levels just means there's more enemies on screen at once. There's no difference between a handgun and rifle except the magazine capacity and rate of fire. You can hit a guy with a handgun just as accurate with a scoped laser dotted rifle. Even when they place you in a unique shooting situation, it never felt any different because the enemies and mechanics of your gun is no different than before. So after the first chapter you're just playing for the story because killing bad guys in the exact same fashion gets tiresome. The story is where all the money went. The cut scenes makes up for 50% of the game but I found it enjoyable which is the only reason why I finished it. If you're the type of player who skips all the cut scenes then you'll get bored because you're almost always using the same gun shooting at the same bad guys. It's really too bad because there are so many different places they could have been more creative game play wise. What is the point of the silencer on guns if you never actually do any sneaking in the game? How about more unique weapons like using bullet time to throw a knife at someone's face or flame throwers? Why not enemies with different attributes like having one carry a shield and another specializes in throwing flash bangs? Instead of just making us shoot out of vehicles all the time, how about allowing us to control the helicopter and fire its weapon systems? Instead, at the core this feels more like a time crisis arcade game except time crisis was more fun game play wise. Expand
  87. Dec 24, 2012
    Game imitates movie, movie imitates game and now the game imitates - well - game. On an aesthetic level, MP3 is stunning. It looks lush and detailed, smooth and vibrant. The environments are gorgeous and gritty. Character designs are varied and crisp. Levels are a tad linear but break off here and there for items. Cover spots are great and are spread out evenly. The script is excellent with some hilarious narration by long-time MP voice James McCaffrey (as well as motion captioned) among others. It's an engaging story with clever plotlines and creative dialogue. Excellent foley work with terrific sound FX and vocals. The arsenal has a nice variety but not having grenades is a bit of a disappointment. The weapon select is a tad clunky and inconvenient in a pinch. All aesthetics aside, everything works but that's where the golden stickers stop. Technically in terms of controls it's a mess. The cover actions are clumsy as well as glitched. The glitch causes Max to get stuck unless you roll out of it. The cover action also is very sticky and causes Max to cover where you don't always want him to. The character movement is slow and there's some problems with mouse whipping. Max also reverts to the default weapon (pistol) after a cut scene. Saving isn't too bad since there are no manual saves but the checkpoints are fine most of the time. Multi-player is fine for those that play that sort of thing. It's not perfect and can be frustrating at times but for an overall experience it's a total visceral thrill ride. It's bloody, funny, clever and action-packed. Next time just do some more quality control before you release it. Expand
  88. Jul 23, 2014
    Sorry, this is just not a Max Payne game. It's some type of tech demo for a Rockstar engine. To be honest it took me more time to download than I have played it, so you can imagine how it made me feel. Graphically not that amusing, gameplay is boringly repetitive and the designers just don't know how to trigger events any other way than "five steps then five enemies". Highly disappointing and not happy with the critics. Expand
  89. Jun 22, 2012
    Yes the game has issues like longer cut-scenes and stupid ways to narratethe comic style narration and a totally non existing story. otherwise, its a very good shooter with nie physics, great design and good graphics .
  90. Dec 10, 2012
    It's hard to continue to do so the old game that they were not offended and fans and new players. Rockstar games has done a great job. Addictive gameplay, a very interesting character Max Payne, nice graphics and great gameplay. The game almost a must for any fan of shooters. It is a pity that it is not entirely perfected, contains some bugs, and some missions / maps looks bad. The game, however, really very good. My Rating - 8.5 / 10 Expand
  91. Jun 7, 2013
    Fun, to a point. Ultimately this is a corridor, utterly linear shooting adventure from start to finish. Max Payne's narrative, some nicely coded locales and settings, and overall gunplay battles is what keeps the game better than mediocare. Having never played a Max Payne before, this game conformed to my expectations. It's a solid FPS with an achingly unoriginal story-line. But what let's it down is the distinct lack of freedom to do anything other than follow a cut-scene to action based continuous script. In the game you truly are either watching some dialogue and pre-sequenced action scenarios, or you literally pointing and shooting. That's it. However, apart from some issues with the cover-system and annoying ability of the goons to find pinpoint your exact location at all times, it was generally a fairly enjoyable experience. I persevered, had a bit of fun, but won't be coming back. Liked Max though, what a hero! Expand
  92. Nov 13, 2012
    Max has been turned into John McClaine from Die Hard. One-liners, over-the-top action scenes, and even his appearance. The grittiness from the first Max Payne games is mostly gone. The graphic novel cutscenes are gone. Bullet time stayed and is just as fun as ever. However it's still an enjoyable experience for what it is, even if it isn't "really" the Max Payne we remember. Also, it seems Rockstar has FINALLY remembered how to make a game run well on the PC. Expand
  93. Vex
    May 13, 2014
    This game is so monotonous, linear and boring, words can't even begin to express. There are only 3 mechanics in the game: shooting, examining trivia and pushing buttons/pulling levers. The game throws waves upon waves of enemies at you, which not only kills any semblance of realism, but also makes sure you get frustrated for having to replay the same section/hangar/floor for the n-th time after getting killed in the stupidest way possible. It is not possible to approach problems stealthily, use tactics or any kind of planning; instead the game will often do the stupidest thing - Max will open a big door to a room full of enemies (big surprise) and literally throw himself in the midst of them, trying to shoot them up using slo-mo instead of staying where he is and taking them out from there.

The only saving grace of this game is nice graphics and really good voice acting. It appears as though Rockstar wanted to make a movie instead of a game. It plays like a half-baked shooter from 1998.

What a waste of time. Avoid.
  94. Aug 16, 2013
    The game was great. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at (gasp) the cut-scenes. I will say I wan't pleased I couldn't skip the first one, since I wanted to setup my graphics settings. But all the rest are skippable by pressing A.

The cover is not supposed to be a core part of the game, you should be using bullet-time as that is the core mechanic of the Max Payne series.

The story is
    good, very "Die Hard' and the action is quick and responsive. I did play with a controller so I cannot vet the PC controls but really they were always designed to use a gamepad anyway.

Overall its a very fun ride and I enjoyed being in the Max Payne universe again.
  95. Feb 4, 2014
    An ok game that might have lived up to its predecessor if not for the overly long unskippable cutscenes, terrible checkpoint save system, and nauseatingly overdone 'TV interference' screen effects. Its not the worst console port, but its still a port. If you load an earlier level, your progress is not saved. The story is decent though, and the various locations looks authentic. The graphics are good (its a huge 31GB download). Some of the set pieces feel like any bland console shooting gallery (on-rails section complete with inaccurate overheating machine gun and unlimited ammo). Flaws aside, Rockstar has made a decent game that still has enough 'Max Payne' in it, but I cant help but think Remedy (who made the first Max Payne games, and the excellent Alan Wake) could have done better. Worth the steam sale price. Expand
  96. Feb 10, 2013
    The game is good but not perfect so i can`t give it a 10 it has great graphics sound and a decent gameplay. I like the change of scenery from US to Brazil it lost some of the dark feeling but it gained more open spaces and hordes of enemies :D I don`t mind the film sensation but the effects in the cut scenes are not that great. The fact that you can`t really explore the game and the doors close permanently behind you is a huge flaw of the game they wasted so much potential aslo no puzzeles very linear .The combat system it`s ok but the cover dosn`t allways work and you can`t shoot the AI because they are behind multiple objects but they still manage to fire at you ,aslo you can`t kill the AI from under bridges but they can kill you through any material :D I finished the game on pc on hard and it`s a nice challenge despite some bugs and camera visibility issues. The MP in this game is very weak the pistols are overpowered and the fact that you have to shoot multiple times to get a hs it`s not right it shoud be instant kill also i notices players who have higher levels can regenerate the health when they are under supresion by enemies that is bs.... I recommend this game if you liked MP1 and MP2 and if you like to feel like you are in Brazil Expand
  97. Jan 11, 2014
    Its a great game, but it has its annoyances as mentioned by others: long, unskippable cutscenes, sometimes to the point that interferes with gameplay, by simply taking off a lot of desired freedom of the player to interact with the environment. Aside from that, the story is good and the actual gameplay is fun as well. I got it for about $5 and it was surely worth every penny. Disregard people giving this game a zero - this game has its annoyances but it surely has its highlights. I can understand people being upset because I also played MP 1 and 2. I guess I'd also be upset at some extent if I bought it for full retail price. Expand
  98. Nov 13, 2012
    A great game, i have played Max Payne 1 and 2 and loved them, but they did have some problems. Max payne 3 is a good game. Although it does some problem like instant killing you in single player, freezing and bad spawning in multiplayer. I forgive it because of its great story(the cut seens are um-skippable), great characters, great mechanics, soundtrack and voice acting. The graphics beautiful, so much detail, i had it max out in dx11 at 60 fps and it looks Amazing. Great game by Rockstar. Expand
  99. Dec 27, 2012
    Good graphics, nice cutscenes, wonderful environmental details. It's fun for a few hours but after that you just start to look for ending in a pain. Oh wait, the biggest problem is that this game has no freedom even you are able to open a door if a cutscene allows. And please someone warns Rockstar about their unnecessary collectables. Those collectables could make Max Payne 3 neither wider nor fun. Expand
  100. Jun 22, 2012
    What an awesome game. With a story that quickly immerses you, I'm proud to admit that Max Payne 3 is an excellent addition to the series. With an onslaught of horribly disappointing sequels over the last year, it was refreshing to play a game that isn't afraid to try something new with it's mechanics while NOT selling out it's loyal fanbase with a streamlined shell of it's predecessors. Well done Rockstar : ) Expand
  101. Oct 28, 2013

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]