7.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1929 Ratings

1. Jun 8, 2012
    for singleplayer reference only.

for singleplayer reference only.

its sad that the entire game feels like its scripted, it doesnt matter what you do it never feels like youre in controll of anything. for youre 60$ you get about 1 hour of play time with allot of cutscenes and movies that wil make you want to alt+f4 after a while. i cant see how people actualy compare this to the original max payne or max payne 2. the key part was action + wel placed (although sometimes bad) voice over.
    the commic book story explaining things to you between mission that you could SKIP !! if you wanted didnt realy interrupt game play that much. so with max payne and max payne 2 being a score of 8. this game as a max payne would be a 5... i realy dont need another half baked muliplayer game witch wont keep me bussy for more then a week. even though bullit time in multiplayer will make it interesting it makes it a joke for anyone who actualy likes FPS multiplayer
  2. Jun 14, 2012
    A sad shadow of Max Payne gameplay, where are you going Max? A not interesting story, the computer play at your place, 4h of videos breaking the game rythm (max open a door, max make a step, max go to piss, max is moving eyes,...) everything are subjects to a movie... So borring! 35Go on the hard drive... what the hell?! >< After 3 chapters I directly uninstalled the game because I'm notA sad shadow of Max Payne gameplay, where are you going Max? A not interesting story, the computer play at your place, 4h of videos breaking the game rythm (max open a door, max make a step, max go to piss, max is moving eyes,...) everything are subjects to a movie... So borring! 35Go on the hard drive... what the hell?! >< After 3 chapters I directly uninstalled the game because I'm not going to watch a movie during 5h, I want to play that's all! If not I would go to the nearest cinema.
    Except beautiful graphics and animating Max Payne 3 is A FAIL!
  3. Jun 9, 2012
    Was a bit underwhelmed by this game. After having so much fun playing the groundbreaking 1 and 2 this game direction seems to have moved from run/jump and kill to watch movie. then hide behind something and take pot shots at everyone. Its a good game but not the great game it should have been
  4. Jun 20, 2012
    Nice game. The core gameplay is respected, gunfight are really fun with shootdodge and level design is nicely done.

But this game is too narrative. Too much. I prefer play than be a spectator when i plan to play. I like keep hands on avatar, open doors, climb ladders, that sort of things. Cover ? Cover is useless in Max Payne, bullet-time is his cover. This is no Gears of War. Why

Why do i gain pills when i die ? Where's challenge ? Why do you push me to the credits, I want play this game, retry when i lose !

But where is the Max Payne's dark atmosphere ? Where are dream levels ? The story is only oriented to action and vulgar (GTA inside).

Multiplayer = no need, bad, cheaters....

It's a pity, the core were really good...
  5. Aug 11, 2012
    I didn't like the first two Max Paynes, but I loved this one. Great game, and one of the most enjoyable I've played in the last few years. I play several different games a week (play, not complete), and complete a good number of them in a year. I think this is the best Max Payne, and the gunplay was just plain fun to me. Although, I didn't like towards the end of the game where enemies allI didn't like the first two Max Paynes, but I loved this one. Great game, and one of the most enjoyable I've played in the last few years. I play several different games a week (play, not complete), and complete a good number of them in a year. I think this is the best Max Payne, and the gunplay was just plain fun to me. Although, I didn't like towards the end of the game where enemies all had bulletproof vests and you have to headshot them for a kill. That's never fun. But throwing your arm around a corner and planting 3 bullets in a guy's chest and watching them drop is great fun. Expand
  6. Jun 8, 2013
    It's gunfest, body count nonsense from Rockstar, who persist with the stupity of their lounge and ruin a good story with inept, unsubtle game design, excessive cutscenes and game play that even on easy (yes I am rubbish, but I should still be able to enjoy a game without having to retry staged fight scenes 10 times before I luck in and complete them) can be difficult and irritating. TheIt's gunfest, body count nonsense from Rockstar, who persist with the stupity of their lounge and ruin a good story with inept, unsubtle game design, excessive cutscenes and game play that even on easy (yes I am rubbish, but I should still be able to enjoy a game without having to retry staged fight scenes 10 times before I luck in and complete them) can be difficult and irritating. The default reticle, a small whit dot, is notable by it's invisibilty and seems to be in the wrong place compared to Max and his guns which makes aiming very difficult.

All in all a very disappointing experience compared to the first two games.
  7. Jun 11, 2012
    If it wasn't for the obstructive cut scenes I would have probably enjoyed the game a lot more. The bullet time mechanics are slightly different and the addition of cover takes some of the the sting out of the flow. Still I really liked the shoot dodging and some of the slow motion set pieces. Difficulty spikes, a mixed multiplayer and a fairly boring story brings things down a bit further.If it wasn't for the obstructive cut scenes I would have probably enjoyed the game a lot more. The bullet time mechanics are slightly different and the addition of cover takes some of the the sting out of the flow. Still I really liked the shoot dodging and some of the slow motion set pieces. Difficulty spikes, a mixed multiplayer and a fairly boring story brings things down a bit further. The whole - here's another cut scene of Max getting drunk again - routine just ran about 4 chapters longer than it should have too. I've spent a few hours with multiplayer and while it's ok it's probably not something I'll be playing for long. Expand
  8. May 18, 2013
    Fell asleep after playing two hours. Shoot cut scene, shoot cut scene nothing else. Avoid this game if you have no insomnia. Can't believe how this game get a 8+ score.
  9. Aug 19, 2012
    I've played 1 and 2, and both were fun, challenging and had a good story to them. This, is basically a movie and that can be great, but it is so one-sided shoot-em up that it is a bore. Once you've shot your first 1500 bodies, the grind begins to set in.

What happened to the surprising and challenging puzzles? There is ONE thing in this game and that is shooting, all others have been removed. The story is so-so, but passable, but really the challenge is gone. Point, click, push left-mouse button, at times, you use space for picking them off easy. Boring.
  10. May 20, 2013
    This is NOT Max Payne, this is John McClain in Die Hard The Interactive Movie. Plagiarism.
    Max Payne used to be a fast paced shooter with lots of enemies. In Max Payne 3 you always sit behind cover. Makes bullet time kind of useless,max payne? Bullet Time??? Bullet Time also used to be different. With different, i mean better, and more fluent. So gameplaywise this game sucks.
    Storywise
    Storywise this games is also Give Max Payne back to Remedy, Prickstar f...ups, k thank you.
  11. Sep 29, 2012
    If you want to play GTA4 without cars and without open world - Max Payne 3 is for you. If you want good old Max Payne - don't bother. This is another game. Almost nothing in common. It is something like Kain & Linch, but shorter and with looooonger loadings/cutscenes.
    I can't say it's bad. It's almost OK. It is interesting that the main character is old drunk, and at least a first half of story is pretty solid average action movie scenario (don't know about other half). But you'll get something about 1 hour of real gameplay for a singleplayer, I think. And game mechanic is total crap for PC version.
  12. Oct 2, 2012
    Great game, loved every second of it all must get this brilliant game, it is so much fun just get it it is awesome get it now omg its so good i love it i am gonna go play it now bye!! :)
  13. Jan 3, 2013
    I loved this game. How can you not love a depressed drunk who can't help but stick to his word running around shooting the **** out of everyone? This game does a real good job of making you feel like a total badass. Realism is completely brushed aside for the sake of kicking ass. Accuracy for example, Max Payne can hit someone on the far side of a sky scraper roof with an uzi whileI loved this game. How can you not love a depressed drunk who can't help but stick to his word running around shooting the **** out of everyone? This game does a real good job of making you feel like a total badass. Realism is completely brushed aside for the sake of kicking ass. Accuracy for example, Max Payne can hit someone on the far side of a sky scraper roof with an uzi while hanging from a helicopter by his ****ing legs. Now that's man mode. I didn't even try the multiplayer so I don't know about that but the campaign was fun as hell. Best game of the year IMO. Expand
  14. M13
    Aug 29, 2012
    Game is fantastic. Great story. Best graphics I've seen in a shooter.....or probably any game. If you like story based linear shooters.....then this is the best one in existence right now.
  15. Aug 14, 2012
    Apart the many cutscenes that may break your gameplay rhythm (but not my case) and the login request to play, i found the game enjoyable with good graphics, effects and environments. The new cover system fits well in the game and of course you can still kill dozen of thugs using the bullet time, which has been improved and it's simply amazing to see. Body parts are perfectly localized, youApart the many cutscenes that may break your gameplay rhythm (but not my case) and the login request to play, i found the game enjoyable with good graphics, effects and environments. The new cover system fits well in the game and of course you can still kill dozen of thugs using the bullet time, which has been improved and it's simply amazing to see. Body parts are perfectly localized, you can shoot on a leg or an arm and your victim will react accordingly. Animations are fluid enough. Didn't found any bugs or "technical issues", not a single problem with this game. Maybe i'm very lucky, or somebody is exaggerating his esperience. I've played both prequels, the game is less noir indeed, no comics to read (cutscenes do the job now) and no dark new jersey to clean up, but what it offer is still great. Expand
  16. Aug 5, 2012
    AWESOME GAME!!! MAX IS BACK! :)

AWESOME GAME!!! MAX IS BACK! :)

This game is superb, i love it. PC Graphics were good enough if not too good to be true :)! Singleplayer completed on normal, i can say... It gives some challenge!!! Damn it can be hard when the enemies are brutal to you. When you are not behind cover. And when u are, they are going to rip u apart still. They come to you and dont wait behind theyre covers, thats crazy AI tactics ganking. GJ even tho hard yeah. 9/10 multiplayer is OK, but not so good still. Singleplayer 10/10
  17. Sep 7, 2012
    All I can say is I'm loving this game. Keep in mind reviews are a matter of opinion. My opinion is that this game is worth your money and you should buy it. For people that don't like cut scenes, don't buy this game. I for one hate them (usually) but Max Payne 3 has managed to keep my attention through every one. Truth be told when this game was first announced and screenshots were comingAll I can say is I'm loving this game. Keep in mind reviews are a matter of opinion. My opinion is that this game is worth your money and you should buy it. For people that don't like cut scenes, don't buy this game. I for one hate them (usually) but Max Payne 3 has managed to keep my attention through every one. Truth be told when this game was first announced and screenshots were coming out I was really turned off. Playing both Max 1 and 2, then seeing pretty colors and warm weather instead of the dreary cold city streets I was even more so dreading what they were doing with the game. Well, I should have held my horses because it is all explained why Max is where he is. Not to mention it goes deep into detail Max's mental state and why he has the drastic change in attire and physical appearance. Action scenes are fun and challenging. I prefer to play on a harder setting and then go through the game on easy and **** **** up! As far as the multiplayer goes I can't really comment. I've played just a pinch of it but I can say I like that too. Mechanics are pretty darn similar to the single player as far as smoothness and re spawning is painless. I love that a lot. Well, that is my opinion. Cheers, folks!! Expand
  18. Oct 3, 2012
    I love how I looked at the PS3 reviews and the "most helpful" ones were positive and then on PC they are mostly negative. I love PC gaming, but the community is a bunch of crying **** to be honest. No game is perfect you guys take one flaw and give the game a zero. Have you ever heard of an objective review? Get off your high horse and make your own game if you think you know so much about gaming.
  19. Aug 21, 2012
    This is one of those games that pays great attention to storytelling and game technology. I love how Max moves, the animations are top notch, and the game puts heavy emphasis on realistic combat, which puts great difficulty in, but I love it, especially when performing a shootdodge and taking out all the enemies in bullet time, which is very satisfying. I love how it runs on my PC (Core i3This is one of those games that pays great attention to storytelling and game technology. I love how Max moves, the animations are top notch, and the game puts heavy emphasis on realistic combat, which puts great difficulty in, but I love it, especially when performing a shootdodge and taking out all the enemies in bullet time, which is very satisfying. I love how it runs on my PC (Core i3 2100, 4GB DDR3, Nvidia GT 430) on high settings. The story could use some work though. They REALLY should bring back Sami Jarvi on the next iteration of this series, because I want to feel the more noir feel like the first 2 games, unlike the writing put in by Rockstar, which feels like GTA-ish. But I applaud their efforts, and I feel that the game benefited from a huge amount of development time, even though the engine is familiar ( can't help the feeling, because I loved playing Red Dead Redemption too.). Though I don't play multiplayer, because I'm more of a single player type guy, this game is one of the most fantastic third person shooters out there. What I loved about the PC version is it's well optimized, good FPS, even though the recommended specs are demanding. A very good port (Unlike Ghost Recon Future Soldier (PC) which sucks in terms of FPS.) Rockstar did a very good job with this game, and I'm looking forward for their next development (GTA V). If you loved the first two, GET THIS GAME. All I can say is; Welcome Back Max. Expand
  20. Dec 6, 2012
    I played this series from the start. I am the fan of that film-noir atmosphere, so this game is definitely not one of them. It's not a bad game overall, but it is not the original Max. Nice details, nice graphics, nice cut scenes but not the one it should be. Play it for the old times sake, but you'll get a sour wtf feeling at the end for sure.
  21. Sep 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Max Payne III amazes because of its vivid game design. The missions are diversified, you even return to New York. The south American destinations are beautifully made with a lot of details. Gameplay could not be even better, controlling Max Payne through 14 stages is as fluent as you want it to be. The kill cam is extremely brutal and aesthetic at once. The cut-scenes are not too long! The characters will remind you of Rockstars GTA: funny, desperate and ironic!

I can only negatively criticize the game by its rather short plot. I would have loved to play on and see more of the developers ideas being realized. So far I will have to wait for Part 4. Until then I will give myself a try to complete it again on hard mode.
  22. Oct 14, 2012
    Una buena historia, aunque sale totalmente de lo que fue el Max Payne 1 y 2, muy buenos graficos, y muy bien optimizado para pc,
    Sonido:9
    Graficos:10
    Jugabilidad:9
    Historia:9
    Contenido:7
    Disfrute mucho pasando el juego, me parece uno de los mejores del 2012.
  23. Dec 5, 2012
    awsome game this is the first one i played in the series of max payne and it is awsome a very mature story the bullet time mode is very helping in the game.now the multiplayer i think that max payne 3 multiplayer is not that enjoy but its great i will steal give it a 10/10 because i play in most of the games single player accept call of duty frenchise
  24. Nov 6, 2012
    Excellent attention to detail (I was really impressed), great plot, amazing gameplay and the perfect dificulty. Also, it's long enough and the replay value is significant. The only problems are the long loading times and the unskippable cutscenes in subsequent playthroughs. Most of the game might take place during the day, but it still feels like Max Payne.
  25. Nov 30, 2012
    We all (well, older ones at least) remember insane playability of the first Max. The fun of shooting bad guys and wipe them out, and all in a very climatic noir settings, with cool dialogs. Moreover, many mods made a game even better.

And Max 3... well, does not have it any more. It's a nice game, all right, it has it's moments. Bullet time is still a feature worth to play with, there's a plenty of stuff to kill people with. And this is a major pro for MP3 - killing those moving pixels in slow motion IS fun. As for Cons:
    -The story background is not so bad as I expected after lately GTAs, yet it is not very special either. Dialogs and monologues... well, Max became a whiny male version of Carrie Bradshaw and Paulo Coelho in one. The same "deep" thought (omg I'm such a l0000ser, i drink and girls are dying on me *sob*) repeated over and over again. I just switched off my speakers after 3h or so, because I could not stand it anymore. Oh, about the story - Passoss arc is very dissapointing in a vanilla game. I smell a $DLC.

-The most irritating part of MP3. Is. CUTSCENES!! Beneath them Rockstar decided to hide INCREADIBLY LONG LOADINGS. If you thought that unpatched Witcher 1 had long loading screens you will have to update your info. Since these cutscenes hide loadings you can't just skip them until the loading ends. And the cutscenes are (well, more less) 1/3 of the entire game. Ok, cuts are longs, what else? After a cutscene you will probably end with your primary hand gun in a worst possible cover. Yes, it switches your weapon, and you will feel the payne of this solution very quick, when you'll have to react in a split of a second to kill the pixel bastards.
    Moreover, if you forgot to check some part of the previous corridor, maybe for a golden gun, you won't be able to go back. Once the cutscene is fired, you have to push forward.

-The game is heavily scripted. Which means that the very same guys will pop out from the very same places in a very same time. No surprises included. Some of you might think this is an advatage, for me is a con. This was good way for first Medal of Honor, not the recent games.

-DLCs - not much to say here, so let's keep it short: Rockstar tries to become another EA. It's not nice. Period.

I can't say much about multiplayer because, apart from standard team deathmatch, I had never any chance to play other mods. There's simply no one playing anything else than TDM. It's a pity.

Summing it up - this game might be fun if you have patience. Or you are reading A Song of Ice and Fire (or any other long book). And assuming that you can buy it in a sale, because I would be very angry if I bought it for a full price.
  26. Dec 24, 2012
    Лучшая игра 2012 года,достойное продолжение легендарной серии.
  27. Jan 2, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a typical example of a capitalist age. It's no more than making money based on a good series of games without upholding the standard of that series. And anybody who claims otherwise has either not played that much games yet to compare others to this one, or is getting payed to rate well. There is absolutely no excuse to rate it high otherwise. Sad but true. I'll explain whyMax Payne 3 is a typical example of a capitalist age. It's no more than making money based on a good series of games without upholding the standard of that series. And anybody who claims otherwise has either not played that much games yet to compare others to this one, or is getting payed to rate well. There is absolutely no excuse to rate it high otherwise. Sad but true. I'll explain why now.

1. It lets the fans down. Not the most important reason for all but still VERY important. The whole atmosphere is gone and max is turned into some rambling Duke Nukem kind of figure, lost and depressed. The bullet time is still active and however people tried to something new with it, it's much worse than the first two games. 2. It's nothing more but a shooting gallery. You keep trying to kill punk after punk, and they try to kill you. Nothing less, nothing more. A mediocre story isn't enough to change that. Max payne 2 for example, still had it strange dreams and character developing to keep the interest of the player. Minutes of pointless walking (and shooting) in part 3, does not.
    3.It's still FULL of bugs. Such as when you get in cover mode, Max gets stuck a lot so he can't do anything else. If this happens, you must hope you get either shot so you fall on the ground, somebody gets close enough to melee hit, or you have to restart at the last checkpoint, which looks like a cheap way out to get around these bugs.
    4. They lost the funny aspect of the game, there is not a single fun side in the story, not even a good dark humor part. Also they changed your arsenal to some **** load-out: a handgun left, a handgun right. If you use a rifle or shotgun that's OK, but as soon as you dual wield two handguns, Max drops the larger gun like a baboon on acid, and you have to pick it up again. Also you can't use a secondary skill such as grenades anymore. I give this game a 5/10 for the shooting and bullet-time, but the gameplay and bugs are really messed up, boring and stretched down a road you had to made by all the money you needed to put down for this game that wasn't worth it.
  28. Apr 7, 2013
    tldr; an ok -sometimes good- game but i wouldn't say this is a max payne game.

tldr; an ok -sometimes good- game but i wouldn't say this is a max payne game.

this is definitely an above-average action game. what makes this game better than it normally is max himself but it also creates a huge dissapointment. the first two was my favorite 3ps while this game feels like it could not use its potential as a max payne game. the pratagonist could have been any guy; he doesn't look like max payne for most part of the game, he talks like max payne but does not sound like him (his quotes were far more better in previous games) and his purpose for nearly killing every men in their 20s in brazil is not satisfying. i read somewhere that rockstar stated that not every noir should take place in new york. well after playing the game all i can say is it should have been. the only chapters i truely enjoyed were those chapters took place in new york. yes the scenery and view was more maybe beautiful in brazil but if i wanted a ghetto or a jungle tour i wouldn't playing max payne would i. THIS GAME IS NOT A NOIR. it is an action game with a former detective.

the game looks beautiful and i would say really optimized for pc with high frame rates and advanced graphic options. i liked the level designs with nice graphics and they didn't feel like corridors although they definitely were. i have no problem with cinematics and i think they did a nice job mixing normal cinematics with payne style comic scenes (but i always prefer old school comics of payne).

if there will be a next max payne i really hope in the opening cinematic max would wake up in his hole in new jersey and say "i had the worst nightmare. i was in brazil."
  29. Mar 19, 2013
    I'm not only complaining because this Max Payne doesn't feel any similar to the previous games that made him famous and appreciated. I'm complaining because behind a weak and predictable storyline, it doesn't let you enjoy the game with continuous cut-scenes and automated movements. It feels like Time Crysis!! Aim, shoot, change position. Aim, shoot, change position. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED!
  30. Apr 15, 2013
    Shoot all the baddies, cut-scene. Wash, rinse, repeat. Over and over and over again. And don't you dare hang around any longer than necessary, you'll get a rhetorical remark every 30 seconds to remind you that you have to press this button, walk through that door. No, you're not allowed to think for a second. Just shoot the baddies and follow the linear story.

Good: + Graphics + Max

Good:
    + Graphics
    + Max is back
    + Painkillers

Bad:
    - Game-play
    - Overdone and overused blurry effect
    - No puzzles
    - Never let's you think
    - Linear
    - Okay-ish story

Ugly:
    :( Max always pops out his handgun after a cut-scene, even when you had a rifle
    :( Camera is sometimes very bad, which makes you unable to kill a baddie sometimes
    :( Very bad AI
  31. Jun 7, 2013
    I have yet to get any Rockstar game to run. I don't have any problem with other games, just Rockstar. First I spend hours to overcome the "Corrupt License" error and then I'm completely stumped with the "cannot contact activation server, try again later" error. I threw $30 down the drain, but worse is the time I wasted trying to recover it. I see many other users complaining and few ofI have yet to get any Rockstar game to run. I don't have any problem with other games, just Rockstar. First I spend hours to overcome the "Corrupt License" error and then I'm completely stumped with the "cannot contact activation server, try again later" error. I threw $30 down the drain, but worse is the time I wasted trying to recover it. I see many other users complaining and few of them get resolution. I will never buy another Rockstar game. Ever. Expand
  32. Jul 9, 2013
    Between crashes I played this game. It should be called Crash Payne 3. And crashes aren't the half of it: scenery often doesn't load, in some cases it's so bad you can fall through it! And no, check the date of this review, this isn't what I experienced on or near its launch date. This is a full year after release and it's still broken to hell.

Action is clunky and repetitive, with

Action is clunky and repetitive, with bullet time frequently interrupted when so much as Max' little toe clips the edge of the over-crowded scenery. It doesn't feel like a gun-kata ballet of death. It feels like white guys dancing at a wedding to gangsta rap.

South America as the location was a mistake. In MP1 and 2, the city was a character in the story. In MP3, we don't care about the setting or who Max is trying to protect (a bunch of rich people yay!). We don't even care much about Max. In MP1 and 2 it was about his wife and his life. In MP3 he's just a loser. What little redemption is managed comes way too late for anyone to care.

To obfuscate the weak setting and plot, the game jumps all the hell over, with flashbacks to NYC, some boat, and other places so thinly realized I can't really remember them.
  33. Jul 12, 2013
    A few months ago i went to play max payne 1 and 2 since i looked for good classic games that i've missed.
    I played max payne 1 and i've beat it and i LOVED it. i loved the weapon collecting I remember so well from classic action games like half life and C&C renegade, i loved the story and the good set of characters, i loved the non-rechargeble health and i've liked the film noire cartoon style cutscenes.
    I went then to play the sequel- Max Payne 2, and i really loved it. i liked the return of good characters from max payne 1 and i liked the special abilities and the new physics engine.
    Then I went to play Max Payne 3, and I was DISSAPOINTED!!! 2 weapons limit, ruined bullet time, bad PC port, all of this I could forgive, but the things that made me hate this game and quit playing it forever are that there are NO returning characters, NO good plot that connects in NO way to the plot of the original remedy titles, and NO film noire and NO cartoon style cutscenes!
    now, if you didn't play the original 2 games you might like this game, but who am I kidding, go buy those games they're 5 dollars each on steam, and they worth way more than that. and if you did play the original max payne and max payne 2, you'll probably wouldn't like this game.
  34. Jul 16, 2013
    I'm a long time fan of the Max Payne games. Max Payne 1 blew my mind, Max Payne 2 was an awesome sequel, but Max Payne 3 is something completely different in a bad way. When I played Max Payne 3 the first thing that disappointing me was the lack of gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like in the previous Max Payne games, some sad, depressing music with depressed Max Payne talkingI'm a long time fan of the Max Payne games. Max Payne 1 blew my mind, Max Payne 2 was an awesome sequel, but Max Payne 3 is something completely different in a bad way. When I played Max Payne 3 the first thing that disappointing me was the lack of gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like in the previous Max Payne games, some sad, depressing music with depressed Max Payne talking every now and then. Next the story, simply putting it, it was cheesy as hell. Then the gameplay, why did they have to make it as a checkpoint game. The usual ''save whenever you want'' way is much better and less frustrating. The only good thing that I can say is about the graphics, they are pretty good, but that's it. A huge disappointment for me as a Max Payne fan. Expand
  35. Aug 7, 2013
    There is potentially a great game here, marred by excessive use of cut-scene's, many of which seem completely unnecessary and interrupt otherwise great action scenes.

The downtime in a game should be for exploration and recuperating but this game allows for little to none of that. While i understand that pacing is important, I found that the frequency with which control was taken from me served only to frustrate me.

Then, to further my frustration, the game decides that every time you enter a cut-scene you must switch to your pistol or smg to take out the baddies regardless of whether or not you are holding a rifle or not. then it would throw a tonne of baddies at you and laugh as you fumble around trying to get that rifle out again.

Just so many things done so wrong and it's a shame because the story and characters are so well done.

Avoid, it's not worth the Payne...
  36. Nov 7, 2013
    The makers of this game must have paid the critics to get such a high score. This game is absolutely atrocious. There isn't a single aspect of this game that is fun, aside from the bullet time action. But even that get's old, when that is all you're doing.

The game's camera and visual effects get old after 10 min of play..and they get downright distracting and painful to look at the longer you play the game. And I use the term "play" very loosely here, because you mostly spend looking at crappy shaky camera cut scenes. with a bit of running around and then just shooting enemies over...and over again. This game has not redeeming qualities, because even the bullet time action gets old because you have to use it CONSTANTLY, because the cover system sucks, and there is no strategy involved at all.

I would give this game a 0, but I'll give it a 2 because bullet time is fun for about 5 min, and there is one water level that's a bit fun. Otherwise, don't bother playing this game, and for the love of god DON'T BUY IT! Spend your money on something you'll actually get to play and won't give you seizures.
  37. Nov 24, 2013
    This is not Max Payne that we know from Remedy. This is GTA style Max Payne the brand name. Although glimmers of hope arise throughout playing the game one does not have the same level of aspiration for Max compared to 1 & 2. Gameplay was great, story line was OK and what they've made out of Max's character is the unacceptable bit for me. Max from 1 & 2 was someone to aspire to but in 3 heThis is not Max Payne that we know from Remedy. This is GTA style Max Payne the brand name. Although glimmers of hope arise throughout playing the game one does not have the same level of aspiration for Max compared to 1 & 2. Gameplay was great, story line was OK and what they've made out of Max's character is the unacceptable bit for me. Max from 1 & 2 was someone to aspire to but in 3 he is just a non appealing character. Just go and compare the almost poetic quotes of Max from 1 & 2 to the low grade humour he attempts in 3 and you will see what I am referring to. Expand
  38. Jul 31, 2012
    Thank god, I bought it from Steam summer sale. I've always been a fan of Rockstar. I fell bad for writing this but I am really disappointed. I finished MassEffect3 Ext.Cut recently. Then, started to play Max Payne 3. First of all, I liked the cutscenes in the begining chapters. Later, it is getting annoying because at every door, max looks behind the door and says something meaningless andThank god, I bought it from Steam summer sale. I've always been a fan of Rockstar. I fell bad for writing this but I am really disappointed. I finished MassEffect3 Ext.Cut recently. Then, started to play Max Payne 3. First of all, I liked the cutscenes in the begining chapters. Later, it is getting annoying because at every door, max looks behind the door and says something meaningless and stars to shoot everyone. The story is really cheap and easily predictable. The game itself is, "I'm sure my time is running out" let shoot more bad guys, "I feel my luck is running out", lets shoot more bad guys especially, in the daylight at sao paulo. Why max has to be shooting bad guys in the daylight most of the time?. The final chapters are a little bit darker, I enjoyed a little. Multiplayer is an effort but after I finished campaign, I was too bored to play multilplayer that much. I liked the animations but it has some flaws. Sensitivity is too low even in highest setting. The game could be better. I think, Rockstar is too focused on GTA V. Conclusion, I am still looking forward to GTAV. Please do not give us cheap games while you are developing bigger games and using the Max Payne title to sell it. Expand
  39. Jul 27, 2012
    I do not recommend this game to anyone. Some reasons that comes to mind now:

-The game was made in a completely linear, with various interactive and cut scenes between every moment of gameplay. It is poorly-balanced, so that in certain parts where you get low on ammo or painkiller. After a few attempts, you automatically receive the items in order to pass the challenge. -The addition
    I do not recommend this game to anyone. Some reasons that comes to mind now:

-The addition of the "cover", which was made ​​the brand franchise, Bullet Time, completely useless. Not to mention that the gameplay is truncated due to an attempt to make a more realistic character movement.

Anyway, not worth your time (and money) spent.

OBS: Translated from Portuguese in Google Translator. Sorry!
  40. Jul 19, 2012
    Ok, now I would like to know, why this game called "Max Payne 3"? Rockstar Games got a fantastic chance to create a superb action game... and a great responsibility not to fail Max Payne IP. Maybe (just maybe - Max is too slow and clunky) they made a good action game, but miserably failed MP series. Plain and boring storyline, irritating weapon system, useless and undeveloped cover system.Ok, now I would like to know, why this game called "Max Payne 3"? Rockstar Games got a fantastic chance to create a superb action game... and a great responsibility not to fail Max Payne IP. Maybe (just maybe - Max is too slow and clunky) they made a good action game, but miserably failed MP series. Plain and boring storyline, irritating weapon system, useless and undeveloped cover system. Where is original Max Payne gone? I miss it.
    Burn in hell, Rockstar Games, really.
  41. Jul 16, 2012
    First, this isn't Max Payne - it's Gears of War, only without the good shooting and smooth controls. Second, this isn't a game - it's a movie, a machinima with short game segments thrown in. I think there isn't an uninterrupted sequence of play, longer than two minutes. And even then, you're constantly bombarded with Payne's witty musings, as if the writers were afraid you'd forget what aFirst, this isn't Max Payne - it's Gears of War, only without the good shooting and smooth controls. Second, this isn't a game - it's a movie, a machinima with short game segments thrown in. I think there isn't an uninterrupted sequence of play, longer than two minutes. And even then, you're constantly bombarded with Payne's witty musings, as if the writers were afraid you'd forget what a smartass he is ... As for the gameplay itself - it's very mediocre. I tried playing with a M/KB and gamepad and both didn Expand
  42. Jun 13, 2012
    Summary: Rockstar, in its latest breathless desperate attempt to come across as a trendy auteur filmmaker, has once again completely spoiled what could have been a pretty good game.
    Pros: Refreshing protagonist, fun gunfights, colorful level design.
    Pros: Refreshing protagonist, fun gunfights, colorful level design.
    Cons: Abysmal save system, overlong unskippable cutscenes (the 'you can't skip them because you're loading' cop-out is false, since the levels will load in seconds when you start from a checkpoint), unremittingly linear progression that means any clue or collectible missed past a checkpoint requires sitting through another long unskippable cutscene you've already seen once or twice before (you will want to beat your head against a desk at this), pretentious and overdone 'film effect' interjections seemingly trying harder to emulate 'b-movie made for cable cop action movie' than film noir, *constant* interjection of headache-inducing RGB-split video effect, plainly stupid text overlays of bad dialog meant to add impact but really only getting in the way.
  43. Jun 14, 2012
    Really dated gameplay that would be no more than a minigame mechanic in a modern GTA. Obviously Rockstar were staying true to the original and its sequel, but the endless cutscenes, frustrating controls, repetitive gameplay and stupid storyline left me regretting buying this. Critics must be getting some great swag from of Rockstar, because if anyone else published this, it would be pannedReally dated gameplay that would be no more than a minigame mechanic in a modern GTA. Obviously Rockstar were staying true to the original and its sequel, but the endless cutscenes, frustrating controls, repetitive gameplay and stupid storyline left me regretting buying this. Critics must be getting some great swag from of Rockstar, because if anyone else published this, it would be panned as out-of-it's-time. Expand
  44. Jul 9, 2012
    Its an average Game.

Why ? Well the Story is quite nice, and Max has some Bad Ass attitude but that wont wash away all the things that a re so utterly wrong with this Game. First of all the Cutscenes well they were always Special but i dont want to get Pakinson from it. Second worst is the Difficulty, i mean the enemies hit you so hard and so precisely it isnt even fun cause of
    Its an average Game.

Second worst is the Difficulty, i mean the enemies hit you so hard and so precisely it isnt even fun cause of the lack of Painkillers.

Third Place of **** gets the Hardware Requirements iam running an GTX680 OCed and well it sometimes laggs, even though the game looks like it was made 2-4 years ago!

4th. Place is the Scripting it happens WAY too often that enemies spawn behind you or even better IN YOUR FACE with a Shotgun but why ? Has nobody freakin played it and watched over that ?

5th. Place is stuff like Laserpointers they should help but they make the aiming even more freaking worse i hit a guy in the face about 32 Shots and nothing happened.

I regret buying this game even though it got patched an i buyed it late to avoid this stuff it didnt help this Game ist NOT RECOMMENDED !
  45. Jun 27, 2012
    Not a Max Payne sequel, and barely even a game. Just know that going in, and wait for a major price drop, and you might not feel cheated. It's a good action movie broken up by some very short, bland and clunky gameplay sequences. The movie itself, while cliched, is actually pretty good. The gameplay, though, just barely amounts to just another cover shooter.
  46. Nov 6, 2012
    It's a decent Tps but the problem is it's meant to be played with 360 and ps3 controllers. This means MP3 will feature a cover system to give you time aiming from behind your cover, OP moves like the shootdodge, Overshoulderview from gears of war to mess with your spatial awarness, zooming and slowing down to get 100% accuracy with whatever weapon like in cod, free camera for goons whoIt's a decent Tps but the problem is it's meant to be played with 360 and ps3 controllers. This means MP3 will feature a cover system to give you time aiming from behind your cover, OP moves like the shootdodge, Overshoulderview from gears of war to mess with your spatial awarness, zooming and slowing down to get 100% accuracy with whatever weapon like in cod, free camera for goons who can't turn the camera fast enough to aim. It's all stuff that doesn't belong to max payne games. I played it merely because there's no good tps exclusive on pc other than old games like Legions Overdrive, some mods, Gunz and the first Max Payne games. You can go on and play it but i think i'll go back playing the kung fu mod. Expand
  47. Jun 22, 2012
    too manyy cutscenes spoil the fps
    bullettime is interesting addition, however:
    "max is too old" is the excuse for you not being as awesome as before, so diving bullettime isn't really that useful here :(
    lazy effort rockstar, lazy effort.
  48. Jun 26, 2012
    The graphics are amazing! Unfortunately, the game itself is a huge disappointment. The first Max Payne was great, and the second was amazing. I've gone back and played them both again and again, but since I finally finished this one, I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

My biggest complaint is that you can no longer save your game. You have to get to a "checkpoint." Having to repeat the same parts countless times gets frustrating pretty quickly, and takes all the fun out of it. Apparently these software companies think that gamers everywhere are saying, "You know what I really hate? Being able to save my game whenever I want to!" Granted, it's not nearly as bad as Far Cry, where I was stuck at the same checkpoint for two weeks, but it's quite frustrating. The controls are a royal pain. I got used to them after awhile, but that doesn't mean I liked it, especially not being able to jump. And for some reason, Max can only carry a couple guns at a time now.

I loved the cutscenes in Max Payne 1 & 2, and thought there should have been more of them. But this one has way too many. And it's not always obvious when the cutscene ends and you're back in the action. I got killed this way quite a few times. And as several other people mention, after some cutscenes, it insists on switching you to that stupid pistol, regardless of which weapon you were using before the cutscene.

Before you can even play a single player game, you have to sign up for an online account. You read that right. An online account. For a single player game. What is the point of this?

There is a particularly annoying bug in this game, where sometimes it will pause itself for no reason. Last I heard, the company had no plans to fix this, because they "can't recreate the problem." The storylines in the first two games were interesting, full of plot twists, and memorable characters. I kept playing because I couldn't wait to see what happened next. This one, it got to the point where the only reason I kept playing was to be done with it. The characters are so uninteresting that I kept forgetting who was who as the story progressed. I even lost interest in the story itself after awhile. Max being in South America just seems wrong. The flashback scenes from before he left the USA were a little better, but it still wasn't the same. And it never really explained how Max got to where he "wasn't a cop anymore." At the beginning of the second game, it went into a decent amount of detail about the events the happened between the first and second game, but there was none of that in this one. None of the characters from the first two games were in this one, other than a couple of passing references. I know, most of the characters had been killed off, but there were a few that survived, and a few that sounded like they may have survived.

After the second game, I was hoping for a third one. Sadly, it turned out to be a huge disappointment, and I'm sorry I wasted $60 on it.
  49. Sep 23, 2012
    fantastic graphics, awesome action, a great story...one of the greatest game i've ever played....though it has some problems on pc version, it gave me a great time ....so 10/10 from me....
  50. Jul 13, 2012
    35 gigs of harddrive space required. That's all that needs to be said. Purchased through Steam and downloaded on a 25mbps connection took 3 full days to install, because Steam's download service is so slow (I wasn't even using my bandwidth for anything else). For 35 gigs of space this should have been the best game ever - it wasn't.
  51. Jun 23, 2012
    There is no option for FOV. There is no option to turn off acceleration. It looks to me like the game is just another port. I dont like covering system. Environment is too small for bullettime. Story is not that good. Cutscenes are pain in the butt.
  52. Jul 12, 2012
    Pretty and polished, but extremely frustrating. The devs seem to think "challenge" and "frustrate" are synonymous. They are not. Other reviews have already talked about the constant cutscenes, switching to pistol, shooting in the back etc, so I'll leave that and say THIS GAME IS A RAIL SHOOTER. There is absolutely no freedom - even in the manner you clear the waves of attackers -Pretty and polished, but extremely frustrating. The devs seem to think "challenge" and "frustrate" are synonymous. They are not. Other reviews have already talked about the constant cutscenes, switching to pistol, shooting in the back etc, so I'll leave that and say THIS GAME IS A RAIL SHOOTER. There is absolutely no freedom - even in the manner you clear the waves of attackers - everything is scripted and you must respond as required or die and try again. This is Dragon's Lair with a gun. Expand
  53. Jul 4, 2012
    You idiots will never be satisfied with a modern sequel to a classic game. Emphasis on the 'classic'. Max Payne 3 is a great game and a welcome addition to the franchise. If I had to play another run-and-gun no-cover always-diving with dated graphics, I wouldn't be rating this game so highly. The controls in Max Payne 3 are fluid and much improved over the originals. Max's character andYou idiots will never be satisfied with a modern sequel to a classic game. Emphasis on the 'classic'. Max Payne 3 is a great game and a welcome addition to the franchise. If I had to play another run-and-gun no-cover always-diving with dated graphics, I wouldn't be rating this game so highly. The controls in Max Payne 3 are fluid and much improved over the originals. Max's character and voice acting is superb and is a definite improvement as well. The cover systems keeps the game challenging and intense between all the baddies shooting at you. The cut scenes which everyone **** and moans about disguise the loading screens - a modern improvement to an old concept? Whodda thought! The gameplay is extremely satisfying and rewarding, never gets old even after 10+ hours of play. If you're a fan of the previous instalments of Max Payne, please ignore the idiot reviewers who will never be satisfied with anything other than the original games and do yourself a favour - get Max Payne 3! I've already put twice the time into MP3 than I did either of the originals, because I'm enjoying it so much. Haven't touched multiplayer, just because I only know Max Payne for the single player...but I've heard its a decent addon as well. Expand
  54. Oct 3, 2012
    Ahh Max Payne, too long it has been since we had a fresh installment but like Hitman Absolution that is coming out this year it is great to have a new title in the series. Infact Hitman blood Money & Max Payne 2 are games I so enjoyed they have become mainstays in my games library and I go back to them a few times a year to blast through certain sections again.

Max Payne 3 is a worth

Max Payne 3 is a worth addition to the series, however despite its amazing graphics and decent story I dont think it managed to surpass Max Payne 2 overall.

Graphically the game is incredible and the setting is quite good though I enjoyed the Seedy Favelas and the flashbacks to events in the USA most of all. Max Payne was always about gitty urban environments something that seems to have been a little lost in MP3. The Shooter mechanics I found suffered a little in this outting also. A cover mechanic was added which I found added little to the game and I found flind fire mostly worthless as it was innaccurate and did not deter the AI or force them into cover at all thus of no use to open up opportunities to move from cover to cover. The addition of this new mechanic also detracts from what made MP1 and 2 so great which is bullet time. Compounding this Bullet time no longer slowly recharges on its own (unless that was just a result of the difficulty i was playing on) as it did in the previous games but must be replenished by killing enemies.

As a result this made the gameplay experience feel slower and less like the john woo films the first two games were modelled after. Also slowing the game down even more were the custcenes. is the story good ? yes do the custscenes tell it well ? yes did we need cutscenes so frequently ? no did we need all of the cutscenes ? no like a good film some scenes would be better off left on the cutting room floor and a lot of the internal dialogue could have been conducted while roaming the levels instead of as fixed cutscenes.

Some of the fights are rediculous with waves and waves of bad guys throwing themselves at you and just trying to overwhelm you with sheer numbers which in a half a dozen sequences they irritatingly will over & over again until you get lucky and manage to get through.

Overall I enjoyed the single player experience. Multiplayer is interesting but the community is quite small and game hard to find in my experience. The other game modes are fun for a while but it doesnt last and there are really no particular missions from the main game I find myself wanting to go back and play more than once or twice and I put this down to the new way bullet time charges itself and the fact the game is designed around more cover based shooting now.

Worth a look but I still think Max Payne 2 is the best of the series thus far.
  55. Aug 15, 2012
    Technically it's reasonably well done and what you'd expect. The visuals are better; good character animation and excellent world detail. Together with bullet-time it makes for an enjoyable experience. What sets this game apart though is the story line. Looking at other reviews its obvious you either love it or hate it. Personally I greatly enjoyed Max Payne as the failed anti-hero -- weTechnically it's reasonably well done and what you'd expect. The visuals are better; good character animation and excellent world detail. Together with bullet-time it makes for an enjoyable experience. What sets this game apart though is the story line. Looking at other reviews its obvious you either love it or hate it. Personally I greatly enjoyed Max Payne as the failed anti-hero -- we meet him as a broken man failed both personally and professionally. An alcoholized private bodyguard in a foreign country, who soon learns he is in way over his head. That being said, the story often plays on clichés and stereotypes, and you've got to see it tongue-in-cheek. Max Payne is a hopeless figure and not your typical action hero. Its a mix of Hunter Thompson and Breaking Bad; culture crash, organized crime and constant failure. If you cannot appreciate the dark humor and irony in this premise then you will miss out on the entire story. Expand
  56. Nov 17, 2012
    If you have a decent computer with a little need of epic 'Die Hard' action you will adore this game. The graphics are splendid, the story is great, and the slow-mo dive and shoot action can't be any better than this. The cons involve the cutscenes and replayablity. If you are patient like me, the long cutscenes and conversations won't bother you too much. Others say the cutscenes didIf you have a decent computer with a little need of epic 'Die Hard' action you will adore this game. The graphics are splendid, the story is great, and the slow-mo dive and shoot action can't be any better than this. The cons involve the cutscenes and replayablity. If you are patient like me, the long cutscenes and conversations won't bother you too much. Others say the cutscenes did too much of the action for you, but trust me, there is enough action to go around. The urge to play the game again lies with you. I personally got a little weary of shooting baddies after about 40 hours and I thought I would last longer. The multiplayer has a sense of Call of Duty in it with perks and such, but with their own twists and some-what original ideas. A semi-con with the multiplayer are the DLC's, which I personally loath. Multiplayer is a challenge, and you probably will rage quit here and there, so if you are a person who likes a challenge and wants to master a game, give this a try. It is quite neat. All in all, a good 8/10 is what this game deserves. Bravo Rockstar. Expand
  57. Jul 3, 2012
    Well it's no GTA, no Red Dead, not even LA Noire. I really wanted to like this game as it's Rockstar and after seeing Edge give it a healthy 7 and IGN an impressive 9 (altho they gave Red Dead Undead and MW4 a 9...) I thought it might be better than I expected. However I'm finding it quite tedious, there's no exploration, no decision-making, no intelligence, just here's a nice setting, nowWell it's no GTA, no Red Dead, not even LA Noire. I really wanted to like this game as it's Rockstar and after seeing Edge give it a healthy 7 and IGN an impressive 9 (altho they gave Red Dead Undead and MW4 a 9...) I thought it might be better than I expected. However I'm finding it quite tedious, there's no exploration, no decision-making, no intelligence, just here's a nice setting, now shoot some bad guys, here's another nice setting, repeat. With its duck and cover system in a way it's like a beautiful and elaborate whack-a-mole, and I admit it is addictive. But after an hour or so I'm burnt out and the wobbly camera makes me feel a bit nauseous. Pros:
    - beautiful graphics and perfect animation
    - good cinematography and slick presentation
    - slo-mo shootouts are fun, the triumph probly being the matrix-style office scene where everything gets smashed up

Cons:
    - cheesy predictable dialogue (is it meant to be? like Naked Gun?)
    - constant cut scenes seem a bit unnecessary
    - shaky camera makes you feel a bit wur after a while
    - lack of variety in gameplay, there's only ever one way of doing things
    - too linear
    - lack of intelligence overall Have played up to chapter where he's invading old hotel, can't wait to finish it so I can play something a bit more stimulating for my brain muscle rather than my index finger muscle!
  58. Jul 5, 2012
    fantastic game...though was a bit boring in the beginning chapters but den d story truly develops and the game begins to rise as well..lovable characters ... gr8 voice play...nice cutscenes and cool music...ol in ol a satisfying game after quite a bit of time...
    hope to see more of such games...
  59. Jul 7, 2012
    What is that not a **** console port coming out of the hands of Rockstar? yup that's right! We finally got a nice polished PC release from Rockstar. (so again: THIS IS NOT A CONSOLE PORT) The best points of the game are the story, the level design and depth of the characters. The story is quite deep, but it really gets to you. And as the story progresses it only gets better. Also noWhat is that not a **** console port coming out of the hands of Rockstar? yup that's right! We finally got a nice polished PC release from Rockstar. (so again: THIS IS NOT A CONSOLE PORT) The best points of the game are the story, the level design and depth of the characters. The story is quite deep, but it really gets to you. And as the story progresses it only gets better. Also no knowledge about the previous games is needed to be able to follow the story. (after all it has been some time ago that MP2 came out). As for the characters; they are worked out very nice. I don't often feel sympathy for characters in a game, but in MP3 I really did. You get a nice insight of the characters as the story progresses. and I was really impressed by the level design. There is a part where you end up in favelas, and man, that's some super level design. a good eye for details and just very lively. I just love it. Than for the cutscenes. I'm not a big fan of cut scenes, but here they just fit in so well. The game is meant to be cinematic. and it's all very story driven. Yes there are some very long cut scenes. But there would be no other way of telling the story rather then this. they also blend in very nicely with the game play. the only downside to everything is that the gameplay is quite monotone. Shoot a 100 gangsters here. shoot a 100 there. Sometimes it's a little spiced up. But generally it's quite repetitive which is a shame. they could have done better. A thing that kinda makes it good. Is the fact that there is no regenerating health. You actually have to manage your health here. Unlike all those casual casual games of these times. But the rest really makes it up for that, big time! I lost my faith in Rockstar with their previous releases. But with Max Payne they really regained all my respect. Job well done Rockstar! Don't hesitate and just PLAY IT! Expand
  60. Jul 9, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a fun game. It brings back that old feeling from Max Payne 1 and 2. The story is exciting and fun, but does not relate well with the later games well. This game plays like a movie, which I found to be nice and it kept me engaged in the game. The game play is very similar to the old Max Payne games so it was refreshing for me at least. I would recommend this game to peopleMax Payne 3 is a fun game. It brings back that old feeling from Max Payne 1 and 2. The story is exciting and fun, but does not relate well with the later games well. This game plays like a movie, which I found to be nice and it kept me engaged in the game. The game play is very similar to the old Max Payne games so it was refreshing for me at least. I would recommend this game to people who played the previous Max Payne's or someone who wants a story driven fps. Expand
  61. Jul 28, 2012
    Too many unskippable cut scenes break any sort of rhythm the game might otherwise have achieved. You'll rarely have more than one or two fight sequences between cinematics, so you start about a third of the battles in a stupid position with the wrong weapon equipped wondering if you've got control yet.

I gave up after a few hours. Maybe there are things in the later parts of the story or the multilayer that redeem it, but I quit when i was forced to do the second sniper mini-game only half way through chapter 3. I loved the first game and would replay sections over and over so i could get the perfect head shot or diving uzi spray. But i can't face this. Yes it looks lovely and it certainly has a plot, but this game has more in common with Resident Evil 5 or Time Crisis than the original Max Payne and as a gamer that likes to get really immersed in a game, playing this felt like I was at my mates house taking it in turns to play one life each on Call of Duty. I think it could be modded into something playable, but Rockstar have put so much emphasis on polish and style that i've uninstalled it until someone independent makes a patch.
  62. Jul 31, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great addition to the Max Payne series. Do not let these other whiny reviews ruin your hopes for Max Payne. The biggest complaint I'm seeing from people is about cutscenes - well, had any of you actually played the old Max Payne games, you would realize that Max Payne was told through dozens and dozens of comic book style noire frames, as well as lengthy cutscenes. TheseMax Payne 3 is a great addition to the Max Payne series. Do not let these other whiny reviews ruin your hopes for Max Payne. The biggest complaint I'm seeing from people is about cutscenes - well, had any of you actually played the old Max Payne games, you would realize that Max Payne was told through dozens and dozens of comic book style noire frames, as well as lengthy cutscenes. These ARE Max Payne, and the cutscenes, while lengthy and numerous, are *extremely* well done. Everything from the voice acting to the animations are top notch quality, better than nearly any game on the market, and the developers did an amazing job of telling Max's story. The game play is - very much like the old Max games - extremely intense and fast paced action, broken up by the ability to bullet time, and cutscenes to give you a breather. The only fault I can give this game is the MULTIPLAYER - it is absolutely terrible on PC, and clearly designed for console gamers. While it looks good, and has some nifty features, the entire experience is marred by a complete lack of balance (the most powerful pistol in the game is a .32 revolver, doing nearly TWICE as much damage as a .50 cal desert eagle.....) Any fun that *could* be had in a multiplayer game is immediately ruined when someone high enough level to have unlocked either of the 2 sniper rifles joins the game.Both are 1 shot kill, semi automatic, and one can even hold 20 rounds. Its literally a 1 shot killing machine with 20 bullets and little to no recoil, even a finger shot will kill someone. Not to mention the fact that games that allow people to go into third person and hide behind cover are cheesy enough to begin with, pair that with the superior aiming ability on PC platform and you have a recipe for disaster. All and all, Max Payne is a superb game, and worth every bit of the 39$ I paid for it on steam summer sale, the single player is phenomenally well done, and is a MUST play for any oldschool Max Payne fans out there!

Graphics - 10
    Gameplay - 8 (the weapons are TOO accurate in single player, makes the game too easy)
    Sound - 10
    Voice Acting - 10 Multiplayer - 3
    Replayability - low

Overall I give it a 9/10
  63. Dec 30, 2012
    I gave it a 4/10 because I kept getting stuck in cover, so it was unplayable. I couldn't get further than the football stadium. Also, the normal level is quite difficult, you die all the time, then all those cut scenes are annoying. I did want to like it though.
  64. gas
    Jul 16, 2012
    This game is pure garbage. Tbh thats all, but i try to explain something.
    This is pretty much an interactive movie, you see 1 min of movie, then you got a 1 min shooting stage, if you pass it you go to the next movie and so on.
    If you die and need to redo a stage you will have to see again and again a short intro movie, and you cant skip it. Also, if you have to redo a session, the game
    This game is pure garbage. Tbh thats all, but i try to explain something.
    Also, if you have to redo a session, the game will switch the weapon you are using with the standard pistol every time.
    Game is all on rails, you have zero freedom, its all heavily scripted, so there is absolutley no replayability, also the game is scripted in a manner that wanna be hollywood movie, so you must play rambo always, you cant choose to sneak or do something different.
    The game is a console port, as usual for Rockstar , not so bad as they did with gta IV, but still its not a good job, beside the graphic which imo is not so important, the problem is about mouse movement, which is for some reason clunky, it feels glued to the screen sometimes, very fast in game, very slow in the menus and super slow in bullet time... its quite bad and even tryin to change settings there is a bad feeling about it, any pc fps is 1000 times better.
    I can add also that the cover system plus the bullet time system adds a layer of gameplay wich is not really needed imo, and its not developed so good, max cant cover in many situations due to irregular surfaces, and / or cant detach so easily from some others.
    At the end i really hope that developers will return to develop games where GAMEPLAY is the core, not those kind of hollywood wannabe interactive movies.
    I give it a score of 2 cause the voice acting, the movie direction and photography are good, but as this is a game, i want a game not a movie.
  65. Mar 14, 2013
    Max Payne 3 made a great comeback for the franchise and Max Payne comes back as hard as ever. One thing you will notice straight away is the superb graphic and the extreme details in the graphic. Max Payne 3 have of the BEST graphic I’ve seen with a TPS game. Max Payne 3 is a very cinematic game. And all the loading screens are replaced by cutscenes so you wouldn't be bored staring at aMax Payne 3 made a great comeback for the franchise and Max Payne comes back as hard as ever. One thing you will notice straight away is the superb graphic and the extreme details in the graphic. Max Payne 3 have of the BEST graphic I’ve seen with a TPS game. Max Payne 3 is a very cinematic game. And all the loading screens are replaced by cutscenes so you wouldn't be bored staring at a boring loading screen screen. The story is catchy and the single player campaign is tense and fun. Max Payne 3 also have one of the BEST dual wield mechanic and shooting mechanic for a TPS game. The AIs in MP3 are also one of the most realistic AIs I've seen in a game. The AIs are capable of gettin headshot of the player especially the elite soldier/cops. The AIs with shotguns can also get a one shot-kill of the player if the player gets too close. And don't forget the funs and grippy multiplayer complete with the bullet time mechanic and shoot dodge mechanic.There are the usual game modes such as death match team death match but one of the main game mode is the gang war which is a combination of different game modes including grabbing the bag, capturing the turf, one team tries to defend a turf while the other tries to capture the turf and when the turf is captured the capture team will move on to capture the next turf etc. There are also many different interesting and fun game modes in the gang war mode. This game mode really supports teamwork. Overall the Max Payne 3 is SUPERB game. The single player have a grippy and fun campaign. And the multiplayer is tense and very interesting. Max Payne 3 is a game shooter fans should NOT miss!!! Expand
  66. Jun 14, 2012
    While the game stays somewhat true to the original Max Payne play style, RockStar
  67. Oct 1, 2013
    Here is summary of this "exciting" game. Cutscene (unskippable) playing time will be MUCH LONGER than your game play time. Cutscene, press mouse, cutscene showing the result of your shoot, move, cutscene, shoot, cutscene, player positioned in a dangerous position, shoot, custscene........... cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, game ends.

Thank you for watching a boring film introduced by R*.
  68. Jun 7, 2012
    The game is complete junk, did anyone test the mouse movement? The mouse acceleration is horrible. The mouse sensitivity becomes super slow during most actions. The enemies models are too small, which makes the game feel wrong and unrewarding. The pacing of the game was a joke too. The only good thing was almost every object in the game was destroyable and a few good lines of dialogue.
  69. Jul 15, 2012
    The story is good, but there are WAY TOO MANY CUTSCENES. The cutscenes start right in the middle of a gunfight. They are annoying. What's worse is there are cutescenes where you are forced to control Max. I dont play these games to control someone who's forced to crawl on the ground, slow as hell.
  70. Jun 17, 2012
    Very good shooter, but it does not seem like a Max Payne's game.
    You know, Max Payne wasnt just bullet time: It had a dark atmosphere, a story of personal revenge, the drug fueled nightmare levels, the witty remarks, it even had a good (albeit dark) sense of humor.
    Very good shooter, but it does not seem like a Max Payne's game.

This is just some angry dude shooting his way out of situations, why didnt Rockstar name it "Badass in Brasil" or something like that instead?
    Anyway...

Pros: -Great graphics.
    -Good port to pc.
    -Overall fun to play.

Cons:
    -Does not feel like a Max Payne game.
    -Not enough weapons, or way too similar weapons.
    -Inability to skip cutscenes.
    -Bad implementation of the Shootdodge ability.
    -Relies too much on taking cover.
  71. Jun 8, 2012
    I am pleased for the game it is, but i wouldn't call it part of the max payne series.
    1. I do not like this new writer, i dont think this story had the dark and depression of the second one.
    2. I also we didnt have enough controll. I really miss the comics of the first 2. 3. As far as mechanics goes, it is spectacular, and visuals are amazing too. 4. Multiplayer i think is brilliant.
    3. As far as mechanics goes, it is spectacular, and visuals are amazing too.
    4. Multiplayer i think is brilliant. There are a lot of connection issues and hackers, but i do hope they fix that because i would like to continue playing it.
    5. Was there really a need for the cover system?
  72. Aug 4, 2012
    Офигенный сюжет, история супер, геймплей на высоте!!! На мой взглядОфигенный сюжет, история супер, геймплей на высоте!!! На мой взгляд лучшая игра в которую я играл 2012 г. Жаль, что играл в пиратку.... Expand
  73. Jul 14, 2012
    The good things about this game is the bullet time and the voice acting in the single player campaign. The rest is downhill from there. Mostly though there are a lot of little annoying things that destroys the gameplay. For me the most negative of them all is the constant screen distortions going on. This may be a intended part of the artistic side of the game, and it is a great effectThe good things about this game is the bullet time and the voice acting in the single player campaign. The rest is downhill from there. Mostly though there are a lot of little annoying things that destroys the gameplay. For me the most negative of them all is the constant screen distortions going on. This may be a intended part of the artistic side of the game, and it is a great effect when Max gets shot or is drunk. But when it is constant even when Max is just fine, it only annoys. Also this screen flickering takes a toll on your eyes if you are playing more than a hour. Other little things that mess up the game is the cover system, which is really dull and stupid. There is no cover to cover mechanism, the is no sprint that works and its easier to get shot when you pop out from cover than when you are not using it at all (i.e. just use bullet time instead). The guns are another annoyance. there is almost no difference between the guns when it comes to distance and damage. It is just as easy/hard to get a one bullet headshot kill on vast distances whether you use a pistol or a rifle. Also there are no access to explosive secondaries like grenades, Molotov **** etc. in the single player. The story is fine, but the constant narrative about how Max is just a drunk old fart about to die, gets old pretty fast, and does not harmonize with what is actually going on in the game. Which is Max behaving like a bad ass commando mowing down hordes of gangsters. This constant negative focus removes the sense of any character progress for Max. Quite unlike the previous Max games when you started in the gutter and fought your way to the penthouse of a corporate skyscraper. Expand
  74. Jul 8, 2012
    I played the PC version of this game. The graphics are very good for the PC version, but the game is very tedious and boring. The dialog is boring (a group of guys with fake accents), the story is boring (dude meets spoiled rich girl, dude tries to save spoiled rich girl), the shooting mechanics are boring (all weapons sound almost the same and handle the same). Apparently it isI played the PC version of this game. The graphics are very good for the PC version, but the game is very tedious and boring. The dialog is boring (a group of guys with fake accents), the story is boring (dude meets spoiled rich girl, dude tries to save spoiled rich girl), the shooting mechanics are boring (all weapons sound almost the same and handle the same). Apparently it is possible to kill guys at long range with 1 shotgun blast :(. I first tried medium difficulty and then I lowered the difficulty to easy, muted the volume so I could finish it and toss it in the trash can. I tried single player and multi-player. Both are extremely boring. The fact that cut-scenes cannot be skipped is a joke. They are the most boring part of the game. The game would be more interesting without them. This game is not worth $60, and also not worth $30. There is a good chance that this game will be in the bargain bin in 6 months for $20 with no multi-player community to speak of.

I seems that Rockstar tried to emulate call of duty in 3rd person. I can honestly say that this game gets my vote for the most disappointing game of 2012 so far. I am giving the game a 4 out of 10 simply because of the graphics. The game has nothing else going for it.
  75. Jul 29, 2012
    I'm glad I bought this game on deep discount. The shooting and carnage is fun and pretty but there are so many other terrible things that made my teeth grind. I usually play single player on high difficulty to extend the playing time and challenge, but dying and repeating LONG unskippable cutscenes of boring dialog ("I'm such a drunk, I'm so pitiful, let's go shoot some baddies" x repeatI'm glad I bought this game on deep discount. The shooting and carnage is fun and pretty but there are so many other terrible things that made my teeth grind. I usually play single player on high difficulty to extend the playing time and challenge, but dying and repeating LONG unskippable cutscenes of boring dialog ("I'm such a drunk, I'm so pitiful, let's go shoot some baddies" x repeat 1,000 times) was just too much. I lowered the difficulty about half way through and it was still too boring to finish. Also, the way women are depicted is absolutely pathetic. All they do is scream and run into gunfire. In one scene, a female character actually drives your vehicle into a building. A big, obviously stationary building. "Help me Max, help me!" Eye rolls all around. Expand
  76. Jul 12, 2012
    Cutscene loading time was annoying. Story was stupid and dull. All depth has been removed from Max as a character. The final kill is awful little kid **** (at least you can turn it off by playing the game on its hardest setting). Most of the gameplay, however, is **** perfected. Best 3rd person shooter in existence(only for the raw shooting experience). If you dont agree youre probably aCutscene loading time was annoying. Story was stupid and dull. All depth has been removed from Max as a character. The final kill is awful little kid **** (at least you can turn it off by playing the game on its hardest setting). Most of the gameplay, however, is **** perfected. Best 3rd person shooter in existence(only for the raw shooting experience). If you dont agree youre probably a noob. Youre probably like a woman driver. Something just didnt click. If any of the above drawbacks stopped you from repeatedly enjoying this game time and time again, you just suck. Expand
  77. Jul 8, 2012
    This could be a 9/10 or even a 10/10 score, but I decided to make it a 2, since my gameplay experience (with the latest NVIDIA drivers and the first patch installed) was pretty much like this: bug, bug, bug, crash, freeze, freeze, bug, crash, crash, freeze, bug. Judging by the infrequent and inefficient patching it seems that the developers dropped the testing stage completely when theyThis could be a 9/10 or even a 10/10 score, but I decided to make it a 2, since my gameplay experience (with the latest NVIDIA drivers and the first patch installed) was pretty much like this: bug, bug, bug, crash, freeze, freeze, bug, crash, crash, freeze, bug. Judging by the infrequent and inefficient patching it seems that the developers dropped the testing stage completely when they rushed to release the game on time. ROCKSTAR QUALITY/STABILITY/TESTING/BUGTRACKING GUYS SHOULD CONSIDER PERFORMING SEPUKKU! Expand
  78. Jul 22, 2012
    This game is amazing. I love it, and play through the campaign all the time. I have no idea why everybody hates it so much for the cut-scenes. In the description of the game, it used the word cinematic. You want cut-scenes? Play Metal Gear Solid 4. You have to appreciate and play through the Max Payne trilogy in order to like this.
  79. Jun 23, 2012
    TOO MUCH CUT SCENE, but the few places were there is game play it is good, you feel his age, and it is not helping him. Biggest complain is the cut scene thing.
  80. Jul 23, 2012
    A game that tries to be a movie accompanied with console-port performance and controls while forcing us character story down our throats with a plunger. Nothing more to be said about this one than STAY AWAY. Watch walkthroughs if you want to know how everything plays out as an old fan instead of flushing your money down the sink.
  81. Jun 8, 2012
    Most of the reviews take up same points as I think so read them but some examples:

-Short gameplay sequences are broken up with long cut scenes which you cant skip -You shot someone in the head but the bulletcam/cutsceen show you shooting them in the groin - For a game which has so many cutscenes, it often will provide a sidekick nearby which /*constantly*/ will be telling you to get a

- For a game which has so many cutscenes, it often will provide a sidekick nearby which /*constantly*/ will be telling you to get a move on.
    -The game also has a habit of switching your main rifle or shotgun to a sidearm
    -Often after a short cut-scene, you will be placed in a compromised position facing multiple enemies. I loved the first Max games but this I managed to play for 45 min before unsinstall.
  82. Jun 7, 2012
    It's just another generic shooter with the Max Payne name slapped on it to sell copies. Poor sequel to the excellent MP and MP2. Cutscenes and cover, cutscenes and cover. Blah. Skippable.
  83. Jun 19, 2012
    Every 5 minutes you get a new cut scene. It is not a game, its a film. The trouble is, if I wanted a film, id buy a film. This is not a game, therefor it cannot be reviewed as one. Boring story, boring game play, boring dialogue, Oh, and shaky camera. How novel! Yawn
  84. Jun 17, 2012
    Having played the original games when they came out I was really looking forward to the new game, it's hard to say this new iteration doesn't quite hit all objectives fully.... Single player is exactly how the game should be.. fast corridoor action game with tonnes of diving and bullet-time physics, along with excellent cutscenes that move fluidly between action and story in a way that isHaving played the original games when they came out I was really looking forward to the new game, it's hard to say this new iteration doesn't quite hit all objectives fully.... Single player is exactly how the game should be.. fast corridoor action game with tonnes of diving and bullet-time physics, along with excellent cutscenes that move fluidly between action and story in a way that is seemless. Where the game starts to look a bit shabby is the bolt-on multiplayer game side of things. While singleplayer is suited to the 3rd person view, competive play most certainly is not, for starters the crosshair is off centred so you often can't see the target when behind cover without exposing your arse making the cover system a bit flakey when combined with the iffy locking method it uses. The other big issues are "always on radar" which is very noob for a game with such tiny maps, sure you can earn xp unlocks to help reduce visibility but really this game should not have a radar at all as default, sadly you have to grind out 5000 kills to play hardcore mode that doesn't feature this. My final annoyances are the fairly low map count and that most of them are pretty damn small COD size crap, I was expecting at least something more in line with a single zone from GTA4 size, also they are touting a season DLC pass for £20, which is loathsome and ends up making the game cost £70 to have a complete game which is a ripoff no matter what they add. Overall a fun short term action shooter, with small scale multiplayer that could be really good if they fixed some of the console grade port issues...if the DLC does that then maybe it'll be good... but if its more of the same, don't bother. 8/10 Expand
  85. Jun 4, 2012
    The game has an interesting shooting mechanic, very nice graphics, a plot (good or bad, it's still obvious somebody thought about it at some point) and BulletTime(TM). All in all this makes for an enjoyable experience. The cut-scenes are an interesting story telling tool, but the implementation is kind of rough. There's just so MANY of them and oftentimes you're struck in the face with aThe game has an interesting shooting mechanic, very nice graphics, a plot (good or bad, it's still obvious somebody thought about it at some point) and BulletTime(TM). All in all this makes for an enjoyable experience. The cut-scenes are an interesting story telling tool, but the implementation is kind of rough. There's just so MANY of them and oftentimes you're struck in the face with a cut-scene before you're done exploring an area. It's still worth playing, although in hindsight I would've waited 'til the price had gone down a bit. Expand
  86. Jun 24, 2012
    The worst game i have ever played..... I am a huge fan of Max Payne but with this one it is **** now. Thanks Rockstar..... I did buy the first Max Payne for my tablet 100 times better than this garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  87. Jul 7, 2012
    a perfect sequel to the Max Payne series, greatly optimized for the PC with superb graphic and addicting gameplay. Great storyline as well. This game really deserves a 10/10 score.....
  88. Jun 14, 2012
    After trying to play the Multiplayer for like 3 hours, I got about 10 minutes of actual playing out of this. I get kicked out midgame, I get kicked out right when it is loading, or I spent like 15 minutes in the **** loading screen before the game tells me that the host apparently could not be found. Multiplayer is just unbearable for me at this stage and the campaign is long beaten. 3After trying to play the Multiplayer for like 3 hours, I got about 10 minutes of actual playing out of this. I get kicked out midgame, I get kicked out right when it is loading, or I spent like 15 minutes in the **** loading screen before the game tells me that the host apparently could not be found. Multiplayer is just unbearable for me at this stage and the campaign is long beaten. 3 points for a meh campaign (short and repeatitive but nice story), 0 points for the god awful multplayer. Expand
  89. Jun 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Es la primera vez que encuentro esto para "Juzgar" online y ante personas con criterio; puede ser la primera vez en esopero jugando no es mi primera vez y MAX PAYNE 3 satisface todo lo que un joven en sus vacaciones de verano necesita para alejarse del aburrimiento y de los malos habitos como son muy comunes aqui en Colombia que si no es futbol es plomo y no el elemento quimico como tal, vicio robo y desastre lo que podemos vivir de forma "sana" en los videojuegos como este y otros en especial de la saga rockstar games ;) que siempre me mantiene entretenido en "Cosas malas" que a la vez son muy buenas". Excelente juego Expand
  90. Jul 16, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece.

I am at a loss for words how some could give this a mixed review let alone NEGATIVE. Anyone reading this with the hopes of finding validation to try the game. PLAY THE GAME, IT IS INCREDIBLE. First off I want to say the people who have given this game a negative score are not only uneducated, but are probably ignorant in real life as well. Ignore the
    This game is a masterpiece.

First off I want to say the people who have given this game a negative score are not only uneducated, but are probably ignorant in real life as well. Ignore the negative reviews, they are from people who probably had a crappy upbringing and never learned to appreciate good things in life.

Anyway, back to this amazing piece of PC gaming goodness. This game delivers its single player campaign in amazingly gritty, smooth and polished game play that I have come to expect from Rockstar Games. The campaign is fast-paced, its brutal, its everything you would ever want from a Max Payne game. Maximum Pain at every corner, behind every closed door.

While the storyline may seem confusing in the beginning (switches in timeline), everything will make sense as you fight your way through bleak city streets, urban guerrilla favelas and high rise apartments. This game takes you seamlessly from environment to environment without making it feel weird or without flow.

The game has no loading times if played in one sitting from start to finish, it is like playing an amazingly awesome action movie. I had no issue with the constant cut-scenes and dialogue, it keeps you on the edge of your seat at all times and you are waiting with baited breath to dive back into the unrelenting action.

Rockstar means it when they say they delayed this game to make it good, they have made it great. They have redefined the Max Payne franchise and taken the storyline and gameplay to a whole new level. This is without a doubt the BEST Max Payne game I have played since the franchise started.

Again, ignore the haters, play the single player and you will enjoy it. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, that will be next on the agenda.
  91. Mar 8, 2013
    I select easy ok EASY. For me when a put a game in easy, is because I want to finish it but not with Max Payne 3 For Roch Stars easy equal hard. Impossible to finish this game unless a good gamer can be but I'm a casual. Yet another waste of money for me.
  92. Jul 3, 2012
    I pre-ordered this game off of steam the second I heard about it. The previous Max Payne games were amazing (or at least from what I remember from my childhood). The graphics in this game are beautiful, words can't describe how happy I was to be able to run this beautifully made game on max settings. The story is very intriguing, I grew are rare close bond with main character that wasI pre-ordered this game off of steam the second I heard about it. The previous Max Payne games were amazing (or at least from what I remember from my childhood). The graphics in this game are beautiful, words can't describe how happy I was to be able to run this beautifully made game on max settings. The story is very intriguing, I grew are rare close bond with main character that was mediocre. The gunplay and action are a solid 10/10 but the difficultly curve skyrockets after the second level. The multiplayer has problems, while enjoy the customization options for the characters, I don't enjoy the fact that all the guns are useless except for a few extremely overpowered weapons that I've had to use so that I don't break my keyboard in rage. It really takes out the point of buying new weapons when you know the starting ones are the most powerful. Other than Campaign and Multiplayer all the other game modes are a joke. With all the hype this game brought I would have expected and over the top action experience, which I got...in Campaign. The other modes of the game are iffy, tread carefully. Expand
  93. Jul 15, 2012
    Rockstar have once again landed another outstanding game under their name. Max Payne 3 was an awesome experience and is worth every penny. The game itself performs very well, even on the highest settings I only noticed a performance drop in the parts of the game where there was alot of action going on. The gameplay is nice and the gunplay is pretty damn awesome and there is nothing moreRockstar have once again landed another outstanding game under their name. Max Payne 3 was an awesome experience and is worth every penny. The game itself performs very well, even on the highest settings I only noticed a performance drop in the parts of the game where there was alot of action going on. The gameplay is nice and the gunplay is pretty damn awesome and there is nothing more satisfying than diving through the air and then watching a bullet accelerate towards your targets skull in slow-mo. But beware, if you're not into cinematic games, don't buy this, as you will likely find yourself getting annoyed as the cutscenes are not skippable. Personally, my only gripes with this game are some minor gameplay issues. Such as the camera switching to the opposite shoulder by itself. There is also times where you will be put into a 'last stand' phase, which involves killing the enemy who put you into last stand - or you die. My only problem with this was that from my experience the only enemies who triggered this were ones that were behind obscure cover and therefore I couldn't kill them. All in all this game receives a 9 out of 10 for incredible gameplay, incredible story and pretty decent graphics. The multiplayer is also okay, but I haven't had time to fully get into it. Expand
  94. Aug 15, 2012
    Look at all the fake reviews giving 10. Tells you all you need to know. This Is Rubbish. Ancient GTA3 engine used to create one long cutscene. You're barely involved in playing this game, you just click through. They've dumped the atmosphere of previous games in the series totally. Rockstar even managed to botch the bullet time and dodging. As with all previous games based on this engine,Look at all the fake reviews giving 10. Tells you all you need to know. This Is Rubbish. Ancient GTA3 engine used to create one long cutscene. You're barely involved in playing this game, you just click through. They've dumped the atmosphere of previous games in the series totally. Rockstar even managed to botch the bullet time and dodging. As with all previous games based on this engine, the graphics are glitchy and choppy and the physics are buggy as hell. Also you need to sign up to their useless drm system and be connected all the time to play. Rockstar and Ubisoft love this crap. This is a poor console port that should be avoided. Expand
  95. Jun 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The ONLY reason to download this game is that you love first person shooters. This gives the player more than enough opportunities to shoot all kinds of bad guys. Apart from that, it's probably one of the worst games I've ever tried. The old Max Payne is gone. First, the sign in and download process is long and cumbersome. You can't save the game when you want to, so if you're at the end of a long killing spree and the last guy happens to hit you, then you have to start that scene all over again. What a Payne! The flashing screens that make it seem like the character is always on drugs or something, the boring dialog he continues to spout throughout and the many many times that you are killed seemingly without effort by the enemies makes this a tiring and boring game. No theme other than trying to find/save some rich girl in Sao Paulo Brazil. Really a shame, since I enjoyed the first Max Payne so much and just was willing to give this one a try despite the low user score. Expand
  96. Oct 31, 2012
    Max Payne 3 can't decide whether it's a game or movie. It does both elements exceptionally well, but switches between them every 10 to 30 seconds. The first hour is pretty fun, but after that you'll come to loathe every unskippable cutscene or bulletcam sequence.

You will have to constantly battle the game for control. Half the time you can't tell whether you're in control or in a cutscene, because running, jumping and bullet time get disabled for no apparent reason, Max walks along a set path regardless of the direction you're looking, or the camera forces you to look at something.

To make matters worse, despite the constant theme of urgency, every level contains collectable pieces of "Golden Guns" that you have to explore every corner to find. As accidentally triggered cutscenes have a habit of blocking off visited locations, this quickly becomes tedious.

In short, this game is exceedingly frustrating. If Rockstar released a DLC that removed all the cutscenes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat; but until then, I regret paying money for this junk.
  97. Jun 28, 2012
    Really good gameplay mechanics and level design, great cinematography and action set pieces. Technically a masterpiece... But it lacks the depth and style in terms of storytelling of the previous games... Halfway through the game you start to realise the story is very simple and lacking suspense... I hope we see a seauel that goes back to the engaging storytelling of the first 2 games...
  98. Jun 16, 2012
    This game is good, but has some problems: AI mostly cheats like hell (also being stupid), moving is sluggish, graphics sometimes is buggy (object or texture blinking), cover system work with only selected objects and many more. Of course this bugs are not critical and overall game is good, play is enjoyable, graphics has its moments. Definitely worth buying.
  99. May 20, 2013
    Storywise

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]