Max Payne 3 PC

7.7

1. Nov 7, 2013
    The makers of this game must have paid the critics to get such a high score. This game is absolutely atrocious. There isn't a single aspect of this game that is fun, aside from the bullet time action. But even that get's old, when that is all you're doing.

The game's camera and visual effects get old after 10 min of play..and they get downright distracting and painful to look at the longer you play the game. And I use the term "play" very loosely here, because you mostly spend looking at crappy shaky camera cut scenes. with a bit of running around and then just shooting enemies over...and over again. This game has not redeeming qualities, because even the bullet time action gets old because you have to use it CONSTANTLY, because the cover system sucks, and there is no strategy involved at all.

I would give this game a 0, but I'll give it a 2 because bullet time is fun for about 5 min, and there is one water level that's a bit fun. Otherwise, don't bother playing this game, and for the love of god DON'T BUY IT! Spend your money on something you'll actually get to play and won't give you seizures.
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    Max Payne and Max Payne 2 were groundbreaking and innovative games that were released more than a decade or so ago. Everything about them was awesome, like the never seen before bullet time, the cool looking comic-page cutscenes, and the amazing story and gameplay. Skip to 2012 and Rockstar release Max Payne 3, this time more different in many ways to its predecessors. Firstly, while theMax Payne and Max Payne 2 were groundbreaking and innovative games that were released more than a decade or so ago. Everything about them was awesome, like the never seen before bullet time, the cool looking comic-page cutscenes, and the amazing story and gameplay. Skip to 2012 and Rockstar release Max Payne 3, this time more different in many ways to its predecessors. Firstly, while the previous games were set in the cold, dark, snowy nights of L.A., this game is set mostly in the blaring heat of Sao Paulo, Brazil and I didn't really appreciate it because it didn't feel like Max Payne anymore. Secondly, the comic-page cutscenes are gone as well to be replaced with motion scenes and I was a bit bothered as well by this because it was starting to feel less and less like the Max Payne we knew and loved. Another thing about the cutscenes in this game was that there were too much and control was taken away from the gamer a lot, yet the cutscenes were awesome and worth it. I could keep comparing the game to its predecessors but I think you get my point.

Max Payne has a strong storyline supported by great animations and brilliant voice acting. No character feels or sounds cheesy thanks to the animations and the talent of the cast members. The animations, while although can't compare with Crysis 2 or God of War 3, are still pretty neat and clear. As you travel through the slums of Sao Paulo you begin to see the insane amount of detail put into buildings and the environment around you. The story is different this time around, Max is still haunted by the memories of his murdered wife and and child, but this time he is protecting some rich family. Obviously things don't go well and someone gets kidnapped and its up to Max to wreak hell and get her back. The ending was a bit predictable but overall, the story was very immersing. One of the main things we as an audience love about Max Payne is the amount of ass he kicks. The game has strong violence and strong language as well yet in a game like this you cannot have one without the other. As you face waves of enemies after enemies, you have no choice but to spray the walls and the floor with their blood. There a different guns to choose from yet all of them have the same objective: kill. The use of bullet time is really handy in this game and it is crucial for you to use it in order to survive certain parts of the game. Plus, the game looks hell cool in slo-mo.

Overall, while this game might be different to its predecessors, it doesn't mean that it is bad. It is a great game yet not a game worthy of then. I urge every gamer to play it.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is my game of the decade. i don't remember last time when i screamed like a kid while shooting goons in mid air with pistol in one hand and fully automatic in another,bullets zipping past by me in slow motion,seeing the air around you slowly woven with spiraling bullets, fractured glass, and plumes of shredded paper. massively fun, inhuman violent. ragged bullet wounds, charredMax Payne 3 is my game of the decade. i don't remember last time when i screamed like a kid while shooting goons in mid air with pistol in one hand and fully automatic in another,bullets zipping past by me in slow motion,seeing the air around you slowly woven with spiraling bullets, fractured glass, and plumes of shredded paper. massively fun, inhuman violent. ragged bullet wounds, charred flesh, dismembered limbs. sweet sweet blood. lots of it. Expand
  4. Oct 27, 2013
    I don't really know why people are hating on this game, it's way better then let's say COD which sucks donkeys, the gameplay is fun and very nice, the graphics are just beautiful (Maxed out settings), the story is exciting, bullet time is just epic, the only thing i don't like about this game is terribly long unstoppable cut scenes. I actually never played Max Payne before, and i'm veryI don't really know why people are hating on this game, it's way better then let's say COD which sucks donkeys, the gameplay is fun and very nice, the graphics are just beautiful (Maxed out settings), the story is exciting, bullet time is just epic, the only thing i don't like about this game is terribly long unstoppable cut scenes. I actually never played Max Payne before, and i'm very excited for the next game. Expand
  5. Oct 25, 2013
    How can people praise this game? It's mostly cutscene after cutscene, your lucky if you get to walk down an alley before going to another cutscene. I don't recommend this game at all, the little actual game play is nothing great and it's more of an animated movie.
  6. Oct 19, 2013
    A bunch of shooting galleries inter-spaced with long cut scenes. Despite the decent graphics this game is simply not that entertaining. The fact that I had to sign up for a special account to play the game didn't help my opinion of the game.
  7. Oct 3, 2013
    Unfortunately as much as I tried liking this game, it is a complete fail on several crucial levels.

PROs: 1) Euphoria. Though it isn't as awesome or revolutionary as some of the people online make it sound. As it stands now, Euphoria barely changes anything in the shooter genre and hardly ever looks any different to regular ragdoll physics. Besides, the novelty effects wears out after

PROs:
    1) Euphoria. Though it isn't as awesome or revolutionary as some of the people online make it sound. As it stands now, Euphoria barely changes anything in the shooter genre and hardly ever looks any different to regular ragdoll physics. Besides, the novelty effects wears out after 3-4 levels. It simply isn't that special. The amount of time spent improving the tech since the 2008 GTA IV release doesn't show.

2) Some of the levels have that special touch that makes them a genuine pleasure to navigate and explore, on the other hand, there is plenty of derivatively dull map design as well (perhaps, it makes the majority of this game).

CONs:
    1) Cutscenes. Constant cutscenes, to the extent of wanting to exit the game. I am at a loss as to what they were trying to achieve with a few hours of engine-rendered storytelling. Games are about doing, controlling your character. If I want passive storytelling, I'll watch a movie, engine-rendered cinematics (mo-capped or not) are no match for live action photography. Crappy shaky camera effects, interlaced wording flashing on screen (supposedly to emphasize the dire emotions communicated thus). Why undermine the medium? That was plain silly. They poured time and resources on destroying what the original Max Payne had been executing flawlessly with some drawn static comic book loading screens.

2) Writing. The cutscene annoyance's been amplified by the witless, moronic writing. I find it hard to put it into words, but it's simply bad and keeps repeating itself like hell: booze, remorse, need to push forward, "I am probably a fool for doing this, but hell..." Do they keep some emotional idiots at rockstar just for such scripts? Not to mention it sports a thousand film clichés and blatantly rips off some of them (as well as ripping off some games).

3) Clunky controls. Poorly implemented cover system, that is plain unwieldy to use, not to mention you get shot 9 out of 10 times when using it. The floating camera mechanics is badly done too, you get shot when turning corners and take massive damage without even having the slightest chance of evaluating the situation. This leads to you having to replay those sections of the game, which hampers the sense of story flow and messes with your game progress (kinda like cheating, knowing that there is a dude behind the corner, so you jump out slo-mo).

The graphics is really nothing special either. Overall this game makes a silly impression. Sorry for all the artistic that went in to it (meaning the man-hours spent modeling and animating this turkey).
  8. Oct 1, 2013
    Here is summary of this "exciting" game. Cutscene (unskippable) playing time will be MUCH LONGER than your game play time. Cutscene, press mouse, cutscene showing the result of your shoot, move, cutscene, shoot, cutscene, player positioned in a dangerous position, shoot, custscene........... cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, game ends.

Thank you for watching a boring film introduced by R*.
  9. Oct 1, 2013
    This game made a big fuss before its release. And after it is released I waited about a month to buy it until I checked the success well, then I bought it. I run the game and I started to play. At first I've found nothing interesting. I said maybe it's just the beginning, the game will improve in the next chapter. so I played for another hour. Still nothing, nothing impressing or new,This game made a big fuss before its release. And after it is released I waited about a month to buy it until I checked the success well, then I bought it. I run the game and I started to play. At first I've found nothing interesting. I said maybe it's just the beginning, the game will improve in the next chapter. so I played for another hour. Still nothing, nothing impressing or new, nothing unique. I finally realised that the whole game is big failure. Rockstar earned large profits from this game due to the older versions, but also lost the confidence of many fans. That's my own opinion, and I totally disagree with the critics. I do not know what really impressed them in this toy. Expand
  10. Sep 27, 2013
    max payne 3 is one of the best third person shooters i ever played. it has a great campaign and also a good multiplayer. the games graphics are amazing and textures look really good. the games story is really good!! its interesting and deep. the storytelling and writing are amazing and the writing is maybe the best ive seen! the music is also great and setts the mood. the gameplay ismax payne 3 is one of the best third person shooters i ever played. it has a great campaign and also a good multiplayer. the games graphics are amazing and textures look really good. the games story is really good!! its interesting and deep. the storytelling and writing are amazing and the writing is maybe the best ive seen! the music is also great and setts the mood. the gameplay is really good and guns feel great. the mission that take place in the past are also good. the animatins for max, like how he holds the guns are really good and convincing. the game does have a lot of long cutscenes, which may annoy some people, but personally i really liked them and it gave the game a cinematic feel. bulletime is also really fun and makes this game distinct. bulletime also never gets old and jumpig and shooting in slow-mo is really cool. the games multiplayer is also pretty good. while it doesnt innovate in a lot of ways, its still pretty good. the game has a lot of maps, guns and avatar customization. using slow mo in multiplayer is also really awesome and cool!!!
    overall this is a great game if your looking for a third person shooter!! buy it
  11. Sep 18, 2013
    Literally the worst max payne ever... the history is normal ,but the Game is a big bunch of Lags issues .BUT THE WORST Thing in Max payne 3 is the multiplayer... For god's sake who's done that... Who decideded to that the guy who will be shot in a hand will be killed?! AND SOCIAL CLUB.. It's a bit complicated and boring
  12. Sep 18, 2013
    Beats out all the other previous Max Paynes. The games great for the PC. Its beautifully optimised. Graphics are very detail and great. The gameplay is superb.
  13. Sep 11, 2013
    Best TPS ever. Best optimised for PC ever. Very great multiplayer. Excellent graphics. And the best continuation of Max Payne as much as possible. Well done Rockstar!
  14. Sep 10, 2013
    average cover based shooter. completely agree with wilddeer's review below. save me writing one

Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene. Max, may i open that door? No, cutscene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutscene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens? No, cutscene will look around for you.
  15. Sep 1, 2013
    Before I played it I was a bit worried since it isn't made by Remedy, but having played it I'm not disappointed. It's even more like the previous ones than I had hoped. The story is just as dark. I can't think of a major negative thing about it. Sure there are some small ones like the loading that sometimes can't be skipped and some part being unnecessary hard, but all in all it's a masterpiece.
  16. Aug 26, 2013
    Good game that doesn't reach it's predecessors but still an enjoyable experience. Wish they would cut down on the non-stop cut-scenes. Also max payne going bald and thw hole setting... meh.
  17. Aug 22, 2013
    The best part of the game is it's graphics. Graphics however do not make a game. The story is forced and unoriginal being ripped from a subpar movie. Max payne deserves a better story than a sub par movie plot.
  18. Aug 21, 2013
    This is one of the 25 best games I've ever played. The best action I've ever seen in a third person shooter. The story is great, Max Payne is probably the best video game character ever. The score makes everything more badass and epic. And the multiplayer gets you take part of some gang action.
    If you liked the other Max Payne games, or any other Rockstar game, you'll love this!!
  19. Aug 19, 2013
    A frustrating and maddening game primarily because of the way it was implemented.

Cutscenes and slow-mo cams killed this game. You spend about 3 minutes shooting people and once you just about got into the groove, a cut scene ensues and it breaks the pacing. Another silly thing implemented was that you would automatically slow down when going past an object relevant to the game. Case in point: At some point you will be fighting in a building and you are meant to attach some objects to the pillars. You can be running around and all of a sudden, you just slow to a crawl simply because you are going past a pillar.

Slow-mo cams. The annoying part of the game is when you are just about to die, the game goes into some slow-mo mode that the devs must have thought cool, but it isn't. What's irritating about it is that you automatically do a flying lunge (often on your back) and the game slows down taking on some saturated look and you're left desperately hunting for the cross hair (which has changed position, often way off the mark because the view has switched to some awful position that often is behind a wall or such that you appear to be viewing things out of your arse) to kill the person who was causing you so much damage. Once that's accomplished, you end up remaining on the floor and in a dilemma because if you stand, you get hit and there's no option to reliably get back into cover or crouch automatically.

Next, scripted actions. When you enter any room or reload, you automatically end up with a pistol. No matter if you are carrying the baddest assed gun in the game, you end up with the pistol. This is fine for the early bits, but when you are faced with enemies wearing body armour and carrying assault rifles and outnumbering you 7:1, you don't want a puny pistol that has only 8 rounds in the mag. What's worse is that the time it takes to change means that the enemies are often right on top of you because that's the way the game was scripted.

Also, there's a strange bug that causes you to lose control of the keyboard and you end up defaulting into the aimed mode but you can fire or jump or anything except walk at a slow pace. This happens even in the midst of a firefight and has caused several reloads. Silly video effects like wavy cams, blue-red distortions and other necessary effects destroy all that's left of this once fun franchise (see Max Payne and Max Payne 2).

In conclusion, stay away from this and other Rockstar North games until they sort their sh it out. Better yet, wait for it to come down even lower in a couple more years when it's in the bargain bin or on some sale. Rockstar needs to be taught a lesson via their income statement to stop developing half-assed movies that masquerade as a game. If I wanted a movie, I'd pay for it (cheaper) and sit with my spouse in either the comfort of my home or in a theatre and eat chips and drink sodas and not frustrate myself with this movie-on-rails. That's right, you could hardly qualify this as a shooter even.
  20. Aug 16, 2013
    The game was great. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at (gasp) the cut-scenes. I will say I wan't pleased I couldn't skip the first one, since I wanted to setup my graphics settings. But all the rest are skippable by pressing A.

The cover is not supposed to be a core part of the game, you should be using bullet-time as that is the core mechanic of the Max Payne series. The story is

The story is good, very "Die Hard' and the action is quick and responsive. I did play with a controller so I cannot vet the PC controls but really they were always designed to use a gamepad anyway.

Overall its a very fun ride and I enjoyed being in the Max Payne universe again.
  21. Aug 7, 2013
    There is potentially a great game here, marred by excessive use of cut-scene's, many of which seem completely unnecessary and interrupt otherwise great action scenes.

The downtime in a game should be for exploration and recuperating but this game allows for little to none of that. While i understand that pacing is important, I found that the frequency with which control was taken from me served only to frustrate me.

Then, to further my frustration, the game decides that every time you enter a cut-scene you must switch to your pistol or smg to take out the baddies regardless of whether or not you are holding a rifle or not. then it would throw a tonne of baddies at you and laugh as you fumble around trying to get that rifle out again.

Just so many things done so wrong and it's a shame because the story and characters are so well done.

Avoid, it's not worth the Payne...
  22. Aug 4, 2013
    There's no denying that the core gameplay is solid and the game plays fun and fluid, for the most part. The problem is that the atmosphere and story was a big part of what made people love the original Max Payne, and it's just not there in this game, I'm sorry to say. The constant cutscenes are also annoying, especially when you have to sit through a story that to my estimation doesn'tThere's no denying that the core gameplay is solid and the game plays fun and fluid, for the most part. The problem is that the atmosphere and story was a big part of what made people love the original Max Payne, and it's just not there in this game, I'm sorry to say. The constant cutscenes are also annoying, especially when you have to sit through a story that to my estimation doesn't even attempt to capture any of what made the story of the original game in the series compelling. Expand
  23. Aug 2, 2013
    Bought during summer sales, one of the rare games that i find its a chore to play. many reviewers mentioned that the game has too many cut scenes and i share this argument. the game mechanics is also flawed, often a cut scene will leave you wide open to various assaults, which results to instant death on higher difficulties.

the games controlls are also bad, while mouse can be

the games controlls are also bad, while mouse can be calibrated to your needs the crosshair moves depending on where you are at cover. this leads to more frustrating moments where you pop up to take a shot only to realise that the crosshair is somewhere else

bullet time is also not used often cause its rather pointless, the cramped and dense surroundings would mean that majority of the time you will hit something and lay vulnerable to gunfire

dont buy unless dirt cheap, like steam sales
  24. Jul 30, 2013
    A huge disappointment to me. Has nothing to do with Max Payne 1 or 2, which are both way better third person shooters, with much better atmosphere and gameplay. This game however sometimes felt more like an interactive movie than an actual videogame. If I wanted to watch an action movie, I will watch one on TV. If I want to play videogames, please let me play. This "game" simply does notA huge disappointment to me. Has nothing to do with Max Payne 1 or 2, which are both way better third person shooters, with much better atmosphere and gameplay. This game however sometimes felt more like an interactive movie than an actual videogame. If I wanted to watch an action movie, I will watch one on TV. If I want to play videogames, please let me play. This "game" simply does not let you do that. In some situations you watch a three-minute cutscene, are handed over controls for less than two minutes, and then watch another two to three minute cutscene. Also, I found the difficulty level of this game to be totally unbalanced (ridiculously easy in some parts, very frustrating in others). Somehow not what I had expected. A decent game as it stands for itself, but no match whatsoever for the first two Max Payne games. Expand
  25. Jul 26, 2013
    Good game, Great story true to the heritage. I enjoyed playing it, the shooting was classic, graphics great, story very interesting glimpse into the social strata of brazil and its criminal underbelly. It uses what made the original great and adds a depth to the character that shakes off the bad comic book feel of the first 2.
  26. Jul 21, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in a while. The narrative is one of the best in any game I've played and I understand that for the younger audience, a public that will always be desperately pressing some button to cut the cutscenes every time they begin, the game will be very frustrating indeed. The game does it's loading times during some of the unskippable cutscenes, that according toOne of the best games I've played in a while. The narrative is one of the best in any game I've played and I understand that for the younger audience, a public that will always be desperately pressing some button to cut the cutscenes every time they begin, the game will be very frustrating indeed. The game does it's loading times during some of the unskippable cutscenes, that according to some, constitute the majority of game time, which isn't true, but anyway, next time Rockstar will have learned it's better to leave a black loading screen instead.
    But if you are not a part of that group of people them I highly recommend this game. The game's a very, very challenging shooter, that requires you to really be accurate in your decisions and with your aiming. You can't rush in, you got to use cover very well and the "bullet time" needs to be wisely utilized. The game has a nice story with some interesting characters and although the gameplay in itself is repetitive, the situations Max Payne has to go through always present a new challenge. He has to face snipers, has to deal with new, has to deal with some armored thugs that seem to be invulnerable and keep getting hit with seemingly no effect, there are parts where Max will be inside a boat or inside a helicopter and will have to be deadly accurate to shoot missiles and granades being thrown at his vehicle.
    There is a really large variety of settings where the game takes place. There is a nightclub, an airport, inside a favela which is an amazing part of the game to me, rich in detail and very accurate to the real thing although always a bit secluded, there are no true open areas. Rockstar really did something different from it's usual here, but the previous Max Payne games were also like that, it's not a game where you'll explore the scenery, it's a straight-forward shooter.
    The voice acting for Max Payne is as great as ever, but I'd say this time it's even better. Max Payne has many, many memorable quotes. The games soundtrack is a great one as well, there are some songs that will stick to your mind, besides the theme song ever present in the Max Payne franchise.
    I really like mature-themed games and games with a realistic presentation, although Max Payne is far from being realistic, it's main character and story is believable, if you care to include the amount of foes a single man can kill by himself as only a gameplay tool to make it a game and not a movie with a few shooting scenes.
    The fact that the game of The Walking Dead got such a great approval from the public and the way some of the recent games like Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 have been produced, as far as voice acting, story, theme and challenge, I'm very optimistic about the video games actually maturing, going away from the strictly nerdy audience and become recognized as a type of entertainment as respected as movies are, that they aren't something that only people with no life do, showing some qualities that will be recognized and appealing to a lot of people, of all ages.
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    This is a hard game to review and mainly because gameplay wise its nothing new to the series which some may look at as good or bad. In the end, you realize that you're just going into different rooms and shooting guys in slow motion through pretty much the whole game. There is some on rails parts that change things up ever so slightly but we've pretty much all been there and done that.This is a hard game to review and mainly because gameplay wise its nothing new to the series which some may look at as good or bad. In the end, you realize that you're just going into different rooms and shooting guys in slow motion through pretty much the whole game. There is some on rails parts that change things up ever so slightly but we've pretty much all been there and done that. If I were to judge the game just on all that, it would probably be 4/10. The thing is, the game got its hooks in me and I couldn't stop playing until I finished the game. Everything else about the game is just fantastic.

While I played and very much enjoyed the previous games, Max really became just a badass in this game. His inner dialogue has always been good but this time around it was great. He's funny, dark, serious, realistic, and just a badass that made for the perfect character to follow on this journey. Bald, bearded, beatup, older Max is a character you want to watch. Hes not your typical good guy but in an odd way hes very relatable.

Also, the story and the way its pieced together was done very well. While it was almost a little predictable in some aspects, you still want to see whats waiting for you next. While linear, R* has done a good job at not making you feel trapped in a straight line. The story and characters have a way of making you wish the game could last forever while driving you to see how it ends.

The graphics, sound, music, and attention to detail are just flawless and make you wish every game had the same. The veins in characters arm and the texture of skin and clothes is some of the best I've ever seen. The locations seem very realistic and are extremely detailed in a way that only a few companies like R* could do. While the gameplay is very much the same from the older games, you can really tell that a lot of love was put into every other aspect of the game. I played the multiplayer for a few hours and while its nothing to write home about, its fun and offers some new elements to multiplayer shooters.

In the end, don't play this game because you want an in depth shooter with long lasting multiplayer, play it because you want an awesome experience in gaming following one of the saddest and yet most badass characters ever made.
  28. Jul 19, 2013
    Great game with a good plot and fun action. You get to play an "a far bald American hero" with a drinking addiction who is capable of taking out an entire army single-handed. Of course the game is not realistic but it's really-really fun to play. Note that they added some interesting mechanics: when you are about to die, if you have a spare "pain killer" you get an attempt to shoot yourGreat game with a good plot and fun action. You get to play an "a far bald American hero" with a drinking addiction who is capable of taking out an entire army single-handed. Of course the game is not realistic but it's really-really fun to play. Note that they added some interesting mechanics: when you are about to die, if you have a spare "pain killer" you get an attempt to shoot your killer in bullet time. If you do, you get waste the pain killer for "another life" and continue fighting.

Oh, and it has optimized DX11 graphics, althought my GPU did overheat at first (solved by using MSI afterburner to set fans on max and reducing GPU core frequency, but thats my GPU's problem). Got the game on steam, beat the game on hard in 3-4 days, had a very good time, I recommend you do the same.

I've read some negative reviews, i would like to respond to a few of them.

- Long loading times?
    + Buy a new pc and throw your wooden garbage out. I have a core i7 2600k with a single sata HDD and GTX 570 gpu. This is clearly not a new or high-end computer. Load times take no more than 5 seconds.

- Cut-scenes can't be skipped?
    +Yes they can. There is an indicator telling you which button to press. But the cutscenes are good and an integral part of the game, so why skip them in the first place?

- Bullet time makes the game too easy?
    + Play it on hard or don't use bullet time.

- Nearly impossible to aim.
    + Actually too easy. Except when you are using laser sight (for some reason be it bug or feature it gives you extra recoil). Try playing counter-strike.
  29. Jul 16, 2013
    I'm a long time fan of the Max Payne games. Max Payne 1 blew my mind, Max Payne 2 was an awesome sequel, but Max Payne 3 is something completely different in a bad way. When I played Max Payne 3 the first thing that disappointing me was the lack of gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like in the previous Max Payne games, some sad, depressing music with depressed Max Payne talkingI'm a long time fan of the Max Payne games. Max Payne 1 blew my mind, Max Payne 2 was an awesome sequel, but Max Payne 3 is something completely different in a bad way. When I played Max Payne 3 the first thing that disappointing me was the lack of gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like in the previous Max Payne games, some sad, depressing music with depressed Max Payne talking every now and then. Next the story, simply putting it, it was cheesy as hell. Then the gameplay, why did they have to make it as a checkpoint game. The usual ''save whenever you want'' way is much better and less frustrating. The only good thing that I can say is about the graphics, they are pretty good, but that's it. A huge disappointment for me as a Max Payne fan. Expand
  30. Jul 12, 2013
    A few months ago i went to play max payne 1 and 2 since i looked for good classic games that i've missed.
    I played max payne 1 and i've beat it and i LOVED it. i loved the weapon collecting I remember so well from classic action games like half life and C&C renegade, i loved the story and the good set of characters, i loved the non-rechargeble health and i've liked the film noire cartoon style cutscenes.
    I went then to play the sequel- Max Payne 2, and i really loved it. i liked the return of good characters from max payne 1 and i liked the special abilities and the new physics engine.
    Then I went to play Max Payne 3, and I was DISSAPOINTED!!! 2 weapons limit, ruined bullet time, bad PC port, all of this I could forgive, but the things that made me hate this game and quit playing it forever are that there are NO returning characters, NO good plot that connects in NO way to the plot of the original remedy titles, and NO film noire and NO cartoon style cutscenes!
    now, if you didn't play the original 2 games you might like this game, but who am I kidding, go buy those games they're 5 dollars each on steam, and they worth way more than that. and if you did play the original max payne and max payne 2, you'll probably wouldn't like this game.
  31. Jul 9, 2013
    Between crashes I played this game. It should be called Crash Payne 3. And crashes aren't the half of it: scenery often doesn't load, in some cases it's so bad you can fall through it! And no, check the date of this review, this isn't what I experienced on or near its launch date. This is a full year after release and it's still broken to hell.

Action is clunky and repetitive, with

Action is clunky and repetitive, with bullet time frequently interrupted when so much as Max' little toe clips the edge of the over-crowded scenery. It doesn't feel like a gun-kata ballet of death. It feels like white guys dancing at a wedding to gangsta rap.

South America as the location was a mistake. In MP1 and 2, the city was a character in the story. In MP3, we don't care about the setting or who Max is trying to protect (a bunch of rich people yay!). We don't even care much about Max. In MP1 and 2 it was about his wife and his life. In MP3 he's just a loser. What little redemption is managed comes way too late for anyone to care.

To obfuscate the weak setting and plot, the game jumps all the hell over, with flashbacks to NYC, some boat, and other places so thinly realized I can't really remember them.
  32. Jul 3, 2013
    I take off 2 points for failure to pass chatter. The graphics and attention to detail is awesome, just a great optimization as well as animation and physics as. Payne kicked everyone's ass once again. I wish the next game was in the style of the first game of the series. This is still the strongest game of the series.
  33. Jun 21, 2013
    This Max Payne series is one of the best series and this Game is only epic.
    This has very good Graphics, awesome Gameplay and one of the best stories ever.
    The brazilian settings are perfect.
    But the Multiplayer has much hackers and this is sh*t.
    But the Arcade Mode is a good idea and good implemented.
  34. Jun 8, 2013
    It's gunfest, body count nonsense from Rockstar, who persist with the stupity of their lounge and ruin a good story with inept, unsubtle game design, excessive cutscenes and game play that even on easy (yes I am rubbish, but I should still be able to enjoy a game without having to retry staged fight scenes 10 times before I luck in and complete them) can be difficult and irritating. TheIt's gunfest, body count nonsense from Rockstar, who persist with the stupity of their lounge and ruin a good story with inept, unsubtle game design, excessive cutscenes and game play that even on easy (yes I am rubbish, but I should still be able to enjoy a game without having to retry staged fight scenes 10 times before I luck in and complete them) can be difficult and irritating. The default reticle, a small whit dot, is notable by it's invisibilty and seems to be in the wrong place compared to Max and his guns which makes aiming very difficult.

All in all a very disappointing experience compared to the first two games.
  35. Jun 7, 2013
    I have yet to get any Rockstar game to run. I don't have any problem with other games, just Rockstar. First I spend hours to overcome the "Corrupt License" error and then I'm completely stumped with the "cannot contact activation server, try again later" error. I threw $30 down the drain, but worse is the time I wasted trying to recover it. I see many other users complaining and few ofI have yet to get any Rockstar game to run. I don't have any problem with other games, just Rockstar. First I spend hours to overcome the "Corrupt License" error and then I'm completely stumped with the "cannot contact activation server, try again later" error. I threw $30 down the drain, but worse is the time I wasted trying to recover it. I see many other users complaining and few of them get resolution. I will never buy another Rockstar game. Ever. Expand
  36. Jun 7, 2013
    Fun, to a point. Ultimately this is a corridor, utterly linear shooting adventure from start to finish. Max Payne's narrative, some nicely coded locales and settings, and overall gunplay battles is what keeps the game better than mediocare. Having never played a Max Payne before, this game conformed to my expectations. It's a solid FPS with an achingly unoriginal story-line. But what let'sFun, to a point. Ultimately this is a corridor, utterly linear shooting adventure from start to finish. Max Payne's narrative, some nicely coded locales and settings, and overall gunplay battles is what keeps the game better than mediocare. Having never played a Max Payne before, this game conformed to my expectations. It's a solid FPS with an achingly unoriginal story-line. But what let's it down is the distinct lack of freedom to do anything other than follow a cut-scene to action based continuous script. In the game you truly are either watching some dialogue and pre-sequenced action scenarios, or you literally pointing and shooting. That's it. However, apart from some issues with the cover-system and annoying ability of the goons to find pinpoint your exact location at all times, it was generally a fairly enjoyable experience. I persevered, had a bit of fun, but won't be coming back. Liked Max though, what a hero! Expand
  37. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    The last chapter of one of the most epic trilogies in the entire history of videogames and a huge comeback. I have nothing more to say but a huge THANK YOU to Rockstar Games for this game, a truly perfect ending for the Max Payne story arc.
    Also, intriguing scenarios and beards.
  38. Jun 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The ONLY reason to download this game is that you love first person shooters. This gives the player more than enough opportunities to shoot all kinds of bad guys. Apart from that, it's probably one of the worst games I've ever tried. The old Max Payne is gone. First, the sign in and download process is long and cumbersome. You can't save the game when you want to, so if you're at the end of a long killing spree and the last guy happens to hit you, then you have to start that scene all over again. What a Payne! The flashing screens that make it seem like the character is always on drugs or something, the boring dialog he continues to spout throughout and the many many times that you are killed seemingly without effort by the enemies makes this a tiring and boring game. No theme other than trying to find/save some rich girl in Sao Paulo Brazil. Really a shame, since I enjoyed the first Max Payne so much and just was willing to give this one a try despite the low user score. Expand
  39. May 30, 2013
    Entertaining shooting game with great combat system story is abit weard it should have been at new york or something Not quite as good as Max payne 1 &2 at the time but still a decent shooting game
  40. May 23, 2013
    Developers Rockstar changed the face of "Max", his style, and thus left virtually untouched mechanics. It is possible that fans of the game still will not be accepted. Like, as much as possible our bald Max yes, but with a beard, but still at a resort surrounded by Latinos! But face it Max Payne behind the numbers "one" and "two" came out so long ago that there are now very few peopleDevelopers Rockstar changed the face of "Max", his style, and thus left virtually untouched mechanics. It is possible that fans of the game still will not be accepted. Like, as much as possible our bald Max yes, but with a beard, but still at a resort surrounded by Latinos! But face it Max Payne behind the numbers "one" and "two" came out so long ago that there are now very few people care about, in what clothes walked hero and what there was an atmosphere. Now it is important that the new "Max", despite the delay in the release, we got a great shooter bloody, tense, scary fun, albeit a very old-fashioned. And those who are confused by a departure from the canons can assume that the third part of the ideological is not related to the previous ones. In a sense it is. Expand
  41. May 21, 2013
    one of the best games ive played. took a while getting used to but once i did i couldn't stop. love max payne the character, intense missions, great storyline
  42. May 20, 2013
    This is NOT Max Payne, this is John McClain in Die Hard The Interactive Movie. Plagiarism.
    Max Payne used to be a fast paced shooter with lots of enemies. In Max Payne 3 you always sit behind cover. Makes bullet time kind of useless,max payne? Bullet Time??? Bullet Time also used to be different. With different, i mean better, and more fluent. So gameplaywise this game sucks.
    Storywise
    Storywise this games is also Give Max Payne back to Remedy, Prickstar f...ups, k thank you.
  43. May 18, 2013
    Fell asleep after playing two hours. Shoot cut scene, shoot cut scene nothing else. Avoid this game if you have no insomnia. Can't believe how this game get a 8+ score.
  44. May 17, 2013
    I own all 3 max payne and I absolutely loved the first two games. I've went through both of them many times. The action was awesome and the shooting was very satisfying, combined to a nice story and cool ambiance, I had a blast playing them. It is very different for max payne 3 as the list of irritating stuff stacks sky high.

A major annoyance is that you get cutscenes all the time...

A major annoyance is that you get cutscenes all the time... and by all the time I mean ALL THE TIME. It totally destroys immersion and annihilates all chances for the game to build any pace at all. Most of the cutscenes could be removed out of the game and it wouldn't change the story at all (especially since like 50% of the cutscenes are max drinking and falling asleep. Yeah ok, we get it...)

Speaking of redundant cutscenes, max payne was quite the bad ass in other games and you could sympathize with him but when they make you run around the world to save tasteless characters (the dumb blonde and all the brazilian family), you understand that it's to make up for his past but at some point you start wondering why he even gives a damn anymore...

Something that started pissing me off early in game too is the fact that every time you run out of health, the game slows down so you can get a "saving shot" off. At first it's a cool feature but it gets annoying ultra fast as the levels get more crowded: later on, most of the time you can't even get that shot off because there is something in the way or you just can't aim at the target at all. Forget it if you're using a grenade launcher, the grenades are so slow they can't even detonate in time, making the GL way too risky to even use. Oh and what makes this even more of a pain in the ass is that when you're in slow mode and you know you're doomed, the "restart at last checkpoint" option in the menu is unaccessible, so you have to suffer through the entire thing before you can do anything.

Another thing that ruined it for me is that it seems the AI has way too good aiming sometimes. They don't even know you're there and the next nanosecond you get headshot. I don't know how many times this happened. Not only that but it seems like when you use the UZZIs in automatic mode, you shoot all over the place but the AI seems to be able to snipe a fly a thousand yards away with them. Now the cover system is pretty good but it's often entirely negated due to the "encounter" pattern that is always the same: you ALWAYS end up in a big open area, a wave of baddies spawn and then you're pinned down by like 10 dudes. Not only it's about impossible to avoid getting hit a few times but the second you think "yay I'm safe, let's leave cover to get ammo and painkillers" WRONG! As soon as you get far away enough from cover, a second wave spawns in your face. Also, sometimes you try to get cover without the cover system (by cutting angles with most enemies so you can get them into view one by one) but max payne's aiming angle is so awkward that often you get shot by targets you can't even see. Most firefights are so frustrating that it takes the fun out of shooting stuff up... That's saying a lot.

Another few minor annoyances that sounded the alarm the very first seconds I opened the game for the first time: when you get in the game it says press enter to continue at the bottom of the screen... but when you press enter, it does nothing. You have to click the text... Speaking of which, have the people doing the port played a computer game in the last 10 year? Seriously, who uses enter anymore to navigate menus? Well for max payne 3 they decided to do it all the time. Also, for some reason, the mouse is ultra slow in the menus (menus only) for a reason I ignore. Minor stuff you'll tell me... Of course, but it just adds frustration on top of all the other issues.

Add very bland stages with very little variation to that and a bunch of glitches all over the place (from bugged cutscenes that you can't skip so you have to ALT+F4 out to weird convulsing ragdolls) you have a game that has disaster written all over it. I pretty much always finish the games I buy even if I find them tedious but I uninstalled this one about 75% through. I only paid 10$ for it during a steam sale and I still feel ripped off.
  45. May 12, 2013
    Max payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm gladMax payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm glad I did. Fight scenes are pretty realistic, and weapon handling and mechanics are realistic and good too (you can only carry 2 handguns and 1 big gun). Story is pretty good, but I didn't follow some stuff (i'm retarded like that). The only problem is that the game weighs in at 30 GB which is massive (it obliterated my download quota).

I don't really care about multiplayer, but the single player rocks! I also didn't mind the trippy visuals, like some people did.

I think PC game fans are being very ungrateful. Even if this is a console port (I absolutely detest consoles and consoletards), they've done a superb job of it and it is eminently playable on PC.
  46. May 11, 2013
    I give it a big goose egg (0). I shouldn't have to go into all my modem settings just to get the game that I bought to work.
    I have no other problems with online games unless I try to activate this game on "Rockstar Social".
    It's absolutely ludicrous. I've observed other people with this problem as well. Rockstar can kiss my ass because I will not buy another game from them with this
    It's absolutely ludicrous.
    I've observed other people with this problem as well.
    Rockstar can kiss my ass because I will not buy another game from them with this horrible service.
  47. May 2, 2013
    With its mature story and intense shooting, Max Payne makes for one of the best single player experiences from this generation, with up to 10 hours of visual entertainment, accompanied by clever storytelling and one of the best voice acting in gaming history. The multiplayer is also one of Rockstar's finest, offering a nice array of customizable options with pretty standard gamemodes, butWith its mature story and intense shooting, Max Payne makes for one of the best single player experiences from this generation, with up to 10 hours of visual entertainment, accompanied by clever storytelling and one of the best voice acting in gaming history. The multiplayer is also one of Rockstar's finest, offering a nice array of customizable options with pretty standard gamemodes, but the bursts and bullettime work so well that, after a few matches of getting used to, you will enjoy every stylish and simply awesome kill you'll pull off online. Expand
  48. Apr 29, 2013
    Bullet time is just fun, the game is challenging in it's own right and it is fun. The Brazillian themes and level design really deserves the praise. Story keeps you interested long enough, although not being able to skip cutscenes might hinder some replayability but that was not too bothersome. It is a great game and worth your money especially if it is on sale.
  49. Apr 29, 2013
    Not sure where all the bad reviews come from, maybe people expected something different. The plot is decent the mechanics are good, body physics is great. I bought it due to 3d vision support and it was great experience, really enjoyed the 'shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene". there is absolutely nothing wrong with it for me, although I'm not oging to replay it forNot sure where all the bad reviews come from, maybe people expected something different. The plot is decent the mechanics are good, body physics is great. I bought it due to 3d vision support and it was great experience, really enjoyed the 'shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene". there is absolutely nothing wrong with it for me, although I'm not oging to replay it for every achievement possible. Expand
  50. Apr 27, 2013
    While I enjoyed the experience the main problem was the aiming system and the re-appearance of things I had just blew up 5 seconds ago. The game play is sluggish compared other 3rd person shooters and they failed to keep it up with the other max payne games. The whole bodyguard thing doesnt suit the persona of the guy from the original 1 and 2 games too. Feels more like a marketing guysWhile I enjoyed the experience the main problem was the aiming system and the re-appearance of things I had just blew up 5 seconds ago. The game play is sluggish compared other 3rd person shooters and they failed to keep it up with the other max payne games. The whole bodyguard thing doesnt suit the persona of the guy from the original 1 and 2 games too. Feels more like a marketing guys idea because Spec: Ops The Line came out. Expand
  51. Apr 27, 2013
    It's a Rockstar game, did you expect any less than a 10/10?

Graphics are amazing for current gen 10/10 Storytelling is gripping and thrilling 10/10 Gameplay is smooth and addictive 10/10 Hidden items and bonuses are a breeze to find and have a satisfying reward10/10 The multiplayer brings more action and addictiveness and has a ton of replayability 10/10 This is a fantastic
    It's a Rockstar game, did you expect any less than a 10/10?

Graphics are amazing for current gen 10/10
    Storytelling is gripping and thrilling 10/10
    Gameplay is smooth and addictive 10/10
    Hidden items and bonuses are a breeze to find and have a satisfying reward10/10

This is a fantastic gritty, and brutal sequel to the original max payne double of the 2000's

and the Multiplayer isn't half bad either, it's satisfying enough to keep us playing for longer and longer.

This is a must play for Max Payne fans and shooter fans everywhere!
  52. Apr 26, 2013
    10/10 best game I've ever played --cutscenes are worth watching, gameplay is consistently impressive and the graphics are near perfect for a game which runs at high frame rates with low processing requirements.
  53. Apr 17, 2013
    great game!! i'm italian and when the enemies speak portoguese, me and max seem the same man!! thanks Rockstar!!
    After i finished this game, my next destination is Brasil!
  54. Apr 16, 2013
    Beautiful story, great shooting mechanics, amazing visuals, good soundtrack, on the other hand cover mechanics could be simplified, could introduce some vehicles... All in all, the single player is equally as awesome as multiplayer, really excited to see the crews transiting into GTA V and other titles. Perfect shooter.
  55. Apr 15, 2013
    Shoot all the baddies, cut-scene. Wash, rinse, repeat. Over and over and over again. And don't you dare hang around any longer than necessary, you'll get a rhetorical remark every 30 seconds to remind you that you have to press this button, walk through that door. No, you're not allowed to think for a second. Just shoot the baddies and follow the linear story.

Good: + Graphics + Max

Good:
    + Graphics
    + Max is back
    + Painkillers

Bad:
    - Game-play
    - Overdone and overused blurry effect
    - No puzzles
    - Never let's you think
    - Linear
    - Okay-ish story

Ugly:
    :( Max always pops out his handgun after a cut-scene, even when you had a rifle
    :( Camera is sometimes very bad, which makes you unable to kill a baddie sometimes
    :( Very bad AI
  56. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Upon further playing I have come to realise this game is actually fantastic. Think about it Max was done in New Jersey and this was portrayed brilliantly in the flashback section of the game. All the nods to the previous games are a nice touch especially the piano playing. It leaves a few important things unanswered but it is somehow ok. Expand
  57. Apr 7, 2013
    tldr; an ok -sometimes good- game but i wouldn't say this is a max payne game.

tldr; an ok -sometimes good- game but i wouldn't say this is a max payne game.

this is definitely an above-average action game. what makes this game better than it normally is max himself but it also creates a huge dissapointment. the first two was my favorite 3ps while this game feels like it could not use its potential as a max payne game. the pratagonist could have been any guy; he doesn't look like max payne for most part of the game, he talks like max payne but does not sound like him (his quotes were far more better in previous games) and his purpose for nearly killing every men in their 20s in brazil is not satisfying. i read somewhere that rockstar stated that not every noir should take place in new york. well after playing the game all i can say is it should have been. the only chapters i truely enjoyed were those chapters took place in new york. yes the scenery and view was more maybe beautiful in brazil but if i wanted a ghetto or a jungle tour i wouldn't playing max payne would i. THIS GAME IS NOT A NOIR. it is an action game with a former detective.

the game looks beautiful and i would say really optimized for pc with high frame rates and advanced graphic options. i liked the level designs with nice graphics and they didn't feel like corridors although they definitely were. i have no problem with cinematics and i think they did a nice job mixing normal cinematics with payne style comic scenes (but i always prefer old school comics of payne).

if there will be a next max payne i really hope in the opening cinematic max would wake up in his hole in new jersey and say "i had the worst nightmare. i was in brazil."
  58. Apr 7, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a very tough game to review, at times it's blundering, overly cinematic and linear, at others its brilliantly violent, dynamic and clever. I have yet to play a game with this many ups and downs in my opinion on it. However, I finished the game with a huge smile on my face and an eagerness to go through it again.

The first thing you will notice is of course the change in

The first thing you will notice is of course the change in setting, Max Payne 3 switches the grimy streets of New York for Sao Paolo brazil. Max Payne is no longer a sharp wisecracking detective but an aging, incompetent drunk. The sequences of him drinking and popping painkillers and talking about how much he hates himself get old really quickly, however within this overused cliche Rockstar develops a strange relationship between the character and the player. Much of Max Payne 3 is spent watching Max act in extremely stupid ways (in one scene he busts into a hostage situation, outnumbered 10 to one and just says "drop the guns", in another, he wanders down the streets of brazil in a Hawaiian shirt asking people for directions before inevitably getting robbed.) and you, the player, having to bail him out of his situations withy our superior shooting skills. You, the player, will come to hate Max as much as he hates himself, whether it is intentional or not it was a clever way of getting the idea across.

The game is made up of cinematic sequences (QTE style set pieces), escort missions, vehicle levels, occasional "boss battles" with heavily armed enemies, and open ended shootouts with multiple enemies. It is when Max is alone, outnumbered and has to shoot his way out that the game really shines. The gunplay is generally brilliant on a level not even achieved by MP1 or 2. Environments are almost fully destructible, the rag-doll physics are really well done, and shoot-dodging has a whole different feeling to it. Max now interacts with his environment. if you shoot dodge into a wall, max will hit his head and land on his face, having to correct himself before being able to get a clear shot at anything, this means shoot dodgning is no longer an easy answer to everything, it can go horribly wrong and you actually have to plan your moves. It is in this mechanic that the game truly shines, each gunfight plays out differently depending on your actions, and is generally a joy to play through. The other sequences on the other hand, can be god awful. Vehicle sequences drag on and seem ridiculous, escort missions missions get obnoxious as the game plays a cutscene of your buddy dying if you fail to meet certain perameters which the game is not clear to you about. This can be extremely frustrating. In one sequence I managed to outsmart a sniper by hidning behind the wall he was sniping from, the game then played a cutscene of max wandering out into the open (despite the fact that i was taking cover) and getting shot, meaning i had to restart the sequence. The game does this a lot, requiring you to do EXACTLY as the game intended, even if there are other solutions, and punishing you by playing a cutscene of Max or one of his friends getting killed and a "Mission Failed" screen. This is not OK in my book, the game can be disgustingly linear during these sequences. Luckily near the end of the game, Max goes it alone and these sequences become less plentiful. The last 4 or so levels of the game are brilliant, featuring almost exclusively brilliantly sculpted shootout.

Like the gameplay, Max Payne 3 doesn't know exactly what it wants to be storywise. The first 6 or so hours feel like a michael bay movie, with cheesy dialogue and really stupid cutscenes. Eventually things take a turn for the darker, max payne is left with no one to talk to but himself as he must unravel an intricate plot in neo-noir fashion, and a lot of people die. The game sort of finds itself and resolves beautifully, despite its many misteps.

The story took me about 12 hours, at the end there is both the option to play through each chapter of the story, even allowing you to load individual checkpoints to skip all the crappy levels, or Arcade mode. Arcade mode allows you to play through the levels with a score counter, trying to beat the high score, you can also choose your player skin (including old school max payne, which is hilarious) and other paramters. I had a lot of fun doing this, the replay value on this game is very high for a story based shooter.

A lot of people here are saying that you can't skip cutscenes, that is not quite true. You have to watch cutscenes while the game is loading, however once its done loading you can skip them, most of the mandatory pre game sequences which you have to watch after you die last 5 seconds at most, so its really not that bad. One big complaint is that on the PC version you cannot alt tab, this is a big problem.

Overal max payne 3 had me cheering at bits and screaming and cursing at others, its a flawed game, but the brilliant gunplay makes it worth it.
  59. Mar 30, 2013
    @1440p max settings x4MSAA SLI 680. The game ran at 60fps 95% of the time and virtual memory topped at about 1850MB through out the entire game. The game looks and handles really well. The story and mood of the game was really fun to experience. The game is has extremely repetitive gun play. You basically bullet time, cover, head shot the whole game. But the story, sound and moodiness of@1440p max settings x4MSAA SLI 680. The game ran at 60fps 95% of the time and virtual memory topped at about 1850MB through out the entire game. The game looks and handles really well. The story and mood of the game was really fun to experience. The game is has extremely repetitive gun play. You basically bullet time, cover, head shot the whole game. But the story, sound and moodiness of the game makes you forget about it. Well worth $20 on a Steam sell. Game play is about 12hrs. Expand
  60. Mar 28, 2013
    Absolutely horrible. If I didn't have a digital version I'd set the box on fire. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a Max Payne game because it says Max Payne in the title that is a lie. Instead of dancing around bullets doing cool shoot-dodge moves and slow motion fun this is instead yet another Generic Third Person Cover Shooter. Should you dare to exit cover and play the gameAbsolutely horrible. If I didn't have a digital version I'd set the box on fire. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a Max Payne game because it says Max Payne in the title that is a lie. Instead of dancing around bullets doing cool shoot-dodge moves and slow motion fun this is instead yet another Generic Third Person Cover Shooter. Should you dare to exit cover and play the game like MAX PAYNE you will be shot full of holes in an instant. Instead, the slow motion is there so you can hide in cover, activate slow motion, get an easy headshot, and repeat over and over for the entire game. You are forced to play the game in the most boring way possible to succeed, as the fun arcade action of the originals is completely gone. Expand
  61. Mar 27, 2013
    This is a brilliant game, I loved the graphics, the game play was smooth and the cinematics was awesome. I would have given it a 10/10 if my game play time was more than 11 hours though.
  62. Mar 24, 2013
    Max Payne the third is a mixed bag. Firstly you have to say that they have tried to rejuvenate the series taking it to new settings whilst continuing Max's story and there have been, once again, tweaks to the bullet time controls and some core gameplay mechanics, Overall you can see what they have tried to do but honestly it doesn't work when compared to the first two. The Good, TheMax Payne the third is a mixed bag. Firstly you have to say that they have tried to rejuvenate the series taking it to new settings whilst continuing Max's story and there have been, once again, tweaks to the bullet time controls and some core gameplay mechanics, Overall you can see what they have tried to do but honestly it doesn't work when compared to the first two. The Good, The shooting, that their is, when it works is still sublime, the pin point precision of the bullet mechanics is visceral and satisfying, additionally the story that is told is not one so much of plot but of the continued journey of max payne and as it is, it is entertaining to watch the man transform and get the preverbial kicked out of him in the favelas of southern America. you realise that he is a very human character and as we go through the story we are constantly receiving his thoughts and musings which make us like him more and more.

The bad,

Well well well, some where along the line Rockstar forgot how to make games, the game is broken in many places, apart from the fact that it is rather consoleified (sadly its better played through a gamepad now) their are large sections where control of max is arrested from you as the story is played and then suddenly you are expected to be ready to play instantly after minutes of twiddleing your thumbs. add to this the graphical issues with corouption and other gameplay glitches causing broken movement and deaths it don't stack up well.

Bottom line:

MP3 is a fine game for those who want to continue the series and story of this character but control issues and directorial decisions regarding the pace and type of gameplay result in it feeling clunky and it is broken in areas, if you just want a bullet time shooter go pick up the vastly superior max payne 1 or 2.
  63. Mar 23, 2013
    This is quite simply one of the slickest, smoothest and most satisfying games I have ever played. It looks incredible and the artwork theme is incredible, giving the game such a unique feel. The cutscenes and menus are slick and the game moves flowingly throughout. It's lack of bugs and glitches only add to it's seamless atmosphere. The in-game mechanics are well-balanced giving theThis is quite simply one of the slickest, smoothest and most satisfying games I have ever played. It looks incredible and the artwork theme is incredible, giving the game such a unique feel. The cutscenes and menus are slick and the game moves flowingly throughout. It's lack of bugs and glitches only add to it's seamless atmosphere. The in-game mechanics are well-balanced giving the bullet-time and movement a satisfying substance whilst remaining tasteful. The story is deep and immersive, Max Payne's character is rich and goes against the grain of Hollywood's heroes. It's so rare to have a game that feels and plays like a well-made film but this is the perfect way to describe Max Payne 3. Playing this game is like watching Pulp Fiction for the first time, you simply won't forget it and you'll want to watch it again. Max Payne 3 gives what every gamer lusts for, an actual experience built on detail, story and fantastic gameplay. Buy the out of it. Expand
  64. Mar 20, 2013
    this has nothing to do with the original Max Payne 1 and 2. it's basically a bundle of cutscenes with occasional shooting. it's really embarrassing to call this thing a game. a game is something i would like to play, not to watch.
  65. Mar 19, 2013
    I'm not only complaining because this Max Payne doesn't feel any similar to the previous games that made him famous and appreciated. I'm complaining because behind a weak and predictable storyline, it doesn't let you enjoy the game with continuous cut-scenes and automated movements. It feels like Time Crysis!! Aim, shoot, change position. Aim, shoot, change position. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED!
  66. JEK
    Mar 18, 2013
    I can see there are lots of negative comments. Are you kidding me? Some commented that they don't like the name of football team, the game is serious. Lol. This is a great game. The story is awesome. Pyscho- Thriller action packed game. What more can you ask for. Nice Job Rockstar!
  67. Mar 17, 2013
    I've seen this movie already it's called Man on Fire. Yes, the un-skippable cut scenes definitely kill the replay value of this movie, err, I mean game. Technically, you may skip the cut scenes when they are finished loading, but that can take a long ass time depending on your hardware, and usually you're merely loading another cut scene. Max's monologue gets very redundant as well. I'mI've seen this movie already it's called Man on Fire. Yes, the un-skippable cut scenes definitely kill the replay value of this movie, err, I mean game. Technically, you may skip the cut scenes when they are finished loading, but that can take a long ass time depending on your hardware, and usually you're merely loading another cut scene. Max's monologue gets very redundant as well. I'm pissed that I have to log into Social Club to play. But still, the plot is good (for a videogame). The environment looks great and is highly detailed. The gun play is very satisfying and the gratuitous, slow motion violence makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. This game is really is a mixed bag, but if you're remotely interested in putting bloody holes in peoples faces close up and in slow-mo then I'd say pick it up if it's on sale. I want to rate it a 6 but I'm a whore for violence so I'll add another point. Expand
  68. Mar 16, 2013
    Great game.compelling story and smooth control.A fan of the series.second only to the first.This is ranked one of the best shooters.As the story gets deeper it brings you in part by part doing a good job in staying fresh and not being repetitive
  69. Mar 15, 2013
    Hahaha notice that all the reviews which give this game a 10 are posted 1-4th of June 2012, just when the game was released. I guess rockstar (wisely) didn't trust real gamers to write positive reviews.

Since the reviews wont tell you what you get with this game, I will: it's a bad console port. One can't change the controls, it is 100% corridor shooter, gameplay is run & gun for two minutes followed by a long cutscene, rinse and repeat.
    Graphics are fairly poor, gameplay is worse the handholding is so heavy and the cutscenes so frequent it's effectively a slightly interactive movie. Oh yeah, and it REQUIRES that you register online for a "social" account before you can play.

Possibly the most disappointing game I've played in two years. Really sad to see how far the Max Payne franchise has fallen.
  70. Mar 15, 2013
    Currently on regular sale on steam for under a tenner, Max Payne 3 happily fills the linear action shooter niche, complete with laughable dialogue and well-paced action. The story is predictably hammy throughout, yet pleasingly self-referential. Cover-glitch issues and unskippable cut-scenes sadly pull this down into an 8/10, but there isn't any to match what Max can bring. Read more atCurrently on regular sale on steam for under a tenner, Max Payne 3 happily fills the linear action shooter niche, complete with laughable dialogue and well-paced action. The story is predictably hammy throughout, yet pleasingly self-referential. Cover-glitch issues and unskippable cut-scenes sadly pull this down into an 8/10, but there isn't any to match what Max can bring. Read more at http://teachergamer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/max-payne-3.html Expand
  71. Mar 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The single player campaign wow'd me originally, mainly because of the graphics but as the game went on it because more a nuisance because you die so many times even on normal... there's no content after you beat the single player besides 'arcade mode' which is basically trying to compete with nobody since the score is so ridiculously high... well that sucks.

The multiplayer is so dumb because everyone starts out with ridiculously better weapons than you since they've been playing since release or something, and the melee feature is so overpowered and annoying that's one of the main reasons the multiplayer isn't fun for me.
  72. Mar 14, 2013
    I've read some reviews before I bought the game, and they all said it was a good port, that Rockstar made a good job... well, I disagree. How can you call it a good port when you have to hit Enter, which is located away from both hands in an action game with mouse aiming, to do a lot of things? That's the worst choice, really. There are a lot of cutscenes, I mean, really... A LOT. WhenI've read some reviews before I bought the game, and they all said it was a good port, that Rockstar made a good job... well, I disagree. How can you call it a good port when you have to hit Enter, which is located away from both hands in an action game with mouse aiming, to do a lot of things? That's the worst choice, really. There are a lot of cutscenes, I mean, really... A LOT. When they say you spend most of your time watching things happen than playing, they are not kidding. But that's ok, no big deal, it's a way to tell the story... but what makes me really mad about it is that they placed some checkpoints BEFORE some cutscenes. Not long cutscenes, but when you watch the same damn thing 10 times, you get pretty upset. I mentioned the story, which was absolutely great in the first game. This one? What a joke. Max adventures in Brazil are very cliché, and since I'm actually from Brazil, it bothers me even more that it's all wrong. Galatians F. C.? What the If you can't put the team's name for licensing issues, please come up with some name in Portuguese, not a generic american soccer team name. Gameplay is frustrating in the beginning, it took me like 2 hours to really get used to it. After you learn how to deal with the AI and the mechanics, it's not bad at all, kinda funny the bullet time, jumping slow-mo, kill cams, etc. The graphics are good (for a console port anyway). But honestly, I expected much more from this game. Oh, I almost forgot! I bought it on Steam, but to actually play it, I had to create a Rockstar Social Club account and login into it every time. Expand
  73. Mar 14, 2013
    Max Payne 3 made a great comeback for the franchise and Max Payne comes back as hard as ever. One thing you will notice straight away is the superb graphic and the extreme details in the graphic. Max Payne 3 have of the BEST graphic I’ve seen with a TPS game. Max Payne 3 is a very cinematic game. And all the loading screens are replaced by cutscenes so you wouldn't be bored staring at aMax Payne 3 made a great comeback for the franchise and Max Payne comes back as hard as ever. One thing you will notice straight away is the superb graphic and the extreme details in the graphic. Max Payne 3 have of the BEST graphic I’ve seen with a TPS game. Max Payne 3 is a very cinematic game. And all the loading screens are replaced by cutscenes so you wouldn't be bored staring at a boring loading screen screen. The story is catchy and the single player campaign is tense and fun. Max Payne 3 also have one of the BEST dual wield mechanic and shooting mechanic for a TPS game. The AIs in MP3 are also one of the most realistic AIs I've seen in a game. The AIs are capable of gettin headshot of the player especially the elite soldier/cops. The AIs with shotguns can also get a one shot-kill of the player if the player gets too close. And don't forget the funs and grippy multiplayer complete with the bullet time mechanic and shoot dodge mechanic.There are the usual game modes such as death match team death match but one of the main game mode is the gang war which is a combination of different game modes including grabbing the bag, capturing the turf, one team tries to defend a turf while the other tries to capture the turf and when the turf is captured the capture team will move on to capture the next turf etc. There are also many different interesting and fun game modes in the gang war mode. This game mode really supports teamwork. Overall the Max Payne 3 is SUPERB game. The single player have a grippy and fun campaign. And the multiplayer is tense and very interesting. Max Payne 3 is a game shooter fans should NOT miss!!! Expand
  74. Mar 13, 2013
    This is the first game, that I have ever given a 10 out of 10. For this genre, it's the absolute best you could get. It's a masterpiece! The story is great, you feel like you really know Max Payne as a person and can feel how depressed he is, he isn't just a stupid lifeless video game character. The game play is even better than the previous two, as it capitalized and expanded on allThis is the first game, that I have ever given a 10 out of 10. For this genre, it's the absolute best you could get. It's a masterpiece! The story is great, you feel like you really know Max Payne as a person and can feel how depressed he is, he isn't just a stupid lifeless video game character. The game play is even better than the previous two, as it capitalized and expanded on all of the features introduced in the original games. You really can't ask for any more in this genre. Now I don't have a single problem with the game, however I do have a problem with many reviews on this site, discouraging people from buying the game, as it almost did for me. For example, on steam forums, multiple posts have said something like this "Was psyched about buying the game until I saw the reviews". As there were probably many more that didn't post on the forums. I think that Metacritic should really think about taking some of those bullsh*t forums off that are affecting the rating, and discouraging customers from buying. Secondly, the most common "fault" in this game (according to the negative reviews on this site) mainly consist jibber-jabber about the length and inability to skip cut scenes. Now I don't know if you guys just are posting bullsh*t reviews for fun, or if there actually was an update recently, because I swear, that in the bottom right side of the screen during every cut scene there is a button saying "press enter to skip". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That's almost 200 reviews of 0's and 1's that are dragging this truly incredible game's user score down to a 7.4/10. It really is an exaggeration when someone says "shoot, cut scene, shoot." I mean, people MUST be just posting stupid reviews for fun. Furthermore on the cut scenes, the cut scenes are what separate this game from the average third person shooter, IT GIVES IT A STORY, I mean it's not like they are boring, well unless your not a fan of the action movie genre. So seriously, skip them if you want, the rest of us will watch and enjoy, and if you REALLY HATE games with a story, then please, do us a favor, and go back to call of duty, or one of those other midless shooters. Overall, the reviewers of this game really need to cut the crap, and open their eyes to the button in the corner of the screen that allows you to skip cut scenes. Keep it up, Rockstar, you continue to make games that impress, and wow the action game genre of video game players. Expand
  75. Mar 8, 2013
    I just hope anyone from Rockstar Games is reading this: it's about your GTA engine. DO NOT EVER attempt to make a game where a protagonist has to shoot ridiculous heaploads of enemies and where the plot kind of depends on that process. Your engine really kills the narrative. It just plain sucks for games like that. It is just not suited for games with a decent story at all. Stick to yourI just hope anyone from Rockstar Games is reading this: it's about your GTA engine. DO NOT EVER attempt to make a game where a protagonist has to shoot ridiculous heaploads of enemies and where the plot kind of depends on that process. Your engine really kills the narrative. It just plain sucks for games like that. It is just not suited for games with a decent story at all. Stick to your GTA stuff (it is really good). THANKS A BUNCH! Expand
  76. Mar 8, 2013
    I select easy ok EASY. For me when a put a game in easy, is because I want to finish it but not with Max Payne 3 For Roch Stars easy equal hard. Impossible to finish this game unless a good gamer can be but I'm a casual. Yet another waste of money for me.
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    I liked every single aspect of the game except the cover system....it is very lame...u h to be very precise bfor coming out or sum1 wil shoot u... the gameplay is totally awesome bt the cover system is the only reason i hv given it a 9...
  78. Mar 7, 2013
    In a word: disappointed. I’m a massive fan of the first two games and still play through them every now and them, but I have no intension of replaying Max’s latest adventure. Graphically the game is very good, but completely devoid of the noir that made the previous games so atmospheric. And where is the humour and the constant movie and TV references? It’s like it takes itself tooIn a word: disappointed. I’m a massive fan of the first two games and still play through them every now and them, but I have no intension of replaying Max’s latest adventure. Graphically the game is very good, but completely devoid of the noir that made the previous games so atmospheric. And where is the humour and the constant movie and TV references? It’s like it takes itself too seriously in a vain attempt to come across as “gritty”. The graphic novels have been replaced by lengthy and unskippable animated cutscenes that quickly become tiresome. And the story is dull and instantly forgettable. I managed to complete the game in two afternoons (for which I paid £30, so not good value for money). The action seems to have evolved into something more resembling COD and they have implemented a cover system that is crucial to survival. You spend most of the game crouched behind walls, popping out every now and then to take headshots. Bullet time is no longer centre stage gone are the dynamic and insanely fun fire fights of the previous games. The multiplayer is nothing special. It’s basically a 3rd person COD, with similar gamemodes, and a similar experience and perks system. The bullet time function is clumsy and doesn’t really work as all players in line of sight enter the mode with you when activated. In fact the multiplayer is already pretty much dead. After the dullness and dumbed-down experience of LA Noire and the mediocrity that was GTA IV, I strongly suspect that Rockstar has lost their way. It’s like they’ve forgotten what used to make their games so good. Expand
  79. Mar 5, 2013
    Fantastic, My favorite video game ever, great graphics and visual effects, a game-play that doesn't get boring or less amusing even after multiple game plays, and Max is the deepest, most depressing, most-living video game character I've ever played with.
  80. Feb 28, 2013
    It's a awesome Singleplayer experience. The Multiplayer is almost unplayable, because many server problems and a lot of settings, including the firewall.
  81. Feb 22, 2013
    Cutscene, shooting gallery, bulletime. Rinse and repeat. The story was average, and so was the game play, and the fact that if you couldn't get past one point you could just restart it with full health and a couple extra painkillers really bugged the hell out of me, it took away the challenge.
    The one redeeming feature is that it's not a terrible PC port.
  82. Feb 17, 2013
    Best of 2012! A work of art. Exquisite!
    Nothing to complain. They did everything right!
    Excellent visuals, outstanding playability, luxury atmosphere, compelling story.
    The work and dedication have its fruit and is called: Max Payne 3
    Thanks "Rockstar" by this superlative game!
  83. Feb 14, 2013
    So disappointed. The biggest problems are technical, it's pretty much a craps shoot as to whether you will get it to run (Didn't run properly on my gamer PC, did run on gamer laptop at much reduced settings). So if you get over the technical, what do you get in the game? Cut scenes that make the Metal Gear Solid series look brief and uninspiring game play when you do get the chance toSo disappointed. The biggest problems are technical, it's pretty much a craps shoot as to whether you will get it to run (Didn't run properly on my gamer PC, did run on gamer laptop at much reduced settings). So if you get over the technical, what do you get in the game? Cut scenes that make the Metal Gear Solid series look brief and uninspiring game play when you do get the chance to interact. nil points. Expand
  84. Feb 13, 2013
    The graphics look good, the voice acting was good and the story was decent although I was only able to stomach about 75% of the game before I stopped playing, so I can't comment about the ending. While the first 10 interactive shooting scenes were fun, there was nothing to break up the monotony except for the endless movie cut-scenes or the hunt for the silly golden guns. TheThe graphics look good, the voice acting was good and the story was decent although I was only able to stomach about 75% of the game before I stopped playing, so I can't comment about the ending. While the first 10 interactive shooting scenes were fun, there was nothing to break up the monotony except for the endless movie cut-scenes or the hunt for the silly golden guns. The slow-motion effects got so nauseatingly repetitious that I uninstalled the game. Since the game is tightly woven with the story I'll forgive the single-threaded nature of the game but the boring game-play killed it for me. Expand
  85. Feb 11, 2013
    The gameplay is good, but the camera confuses you sometime. The best part of the game is the story. The narrative in the game does not let the story vague. The voice of the Max demonstrates his loneliness.
  86. Feb 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The gameplay feels just as good as MaxPayne 1 and 2 but there is one thing that destroyed the game. MaxPayne is too stupid. He is always drunk and surrender to anyone with a gun in the cutscenes even thou you could do 30 headshots before they have time to blink using bullet time. Expand
  87. Feb 10, 2013
    The game is good but not perfect so i can`t give it a 10 it has great graphics sound and a decent gameplay. I like the change of scenery from US to Brazil it lost some of the dark feeling but it gained more open spaces and hordes of enemies :D I don`t mind the film sensation but the effects in the cut scenes are not that great. The fact that you can`t really explore the game and the doorsThe game is good but not perfect so i can`t give it a 10 it has great graphics sound and a decent gameplay. I like the change of scenery from US to Brazil it lost some of the dark feeling but it gained more open spaces and hordes of enemies :D I don`t mind the film sensation but the effects in the cut scenes are not that great. The fact that you can`t really explore the game and the doors close permanently behind you is a huge flaw of the game they wasted so much potential aslo no puzzeles very linear .The combat system it`s ok but the cover dosn`t allways work and you can`t shoot the AI because they are behind multiple objects but they still manage to fire at you ,aslo you can`t kill the AI from under bridges but they can kill you through any material :D I finished the game on pc on hard and it`s a nice challenge despite some bugs and camera visibility issues. The MP in this game is very weak the pistols are overpowered and the fact that you have to shoot multiple times to get a hs it`s not right it shoud be instant kill also i notices players who have higher levels can regenerate the health when they are under supresion by enemies that is bs.... I recommend this game if you liked MP1 and MP2 and if you like to feel like you are in Brazil Expand
  88. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm so happy I got this on the steam sale. Max Payne 3 is one of those games that make you clear one area, and after this you move on to the next. If you get killed, you have to start over again. Sometimes the 'areas' turn out to be much larger than one would have thought and after completing a challenging part of a level, you move on, looking around (more about this in a second) only toI'm so happy I got this on the steam sale. Max Payne 3 is one of those games that make you clear one area, and after this you move on to the next. If you get killed, you have to start over again. Sometimes the 'areas' turn out to be much larger than one would have thought and after completing a challenging part of a level, you move on, looking around (more about this in a second) only to get shot and restart something that you already did. I know there are people that like this kind of thing: if that's you, you might like the game. But that's not the only shortcoming of the game.

I normally love games with a good story. Max Payne attempted to be cinematic, but it failed miserably. The way they created his character is just cheesy. You've got an ex-cop, who's a pill-popping alcoholic, who takes a bottle of pain killers and chases them down with a bottle of vodka or whiskey or whatever is his poison. All that Max does is complain about being a failure, monotonously. His wise-cracks are just like he is as a character: miserable and predictable. And, always banging on the same drum, ultimately boring. I know that sometimes protagonists of video games are supposed to be stereotypical, but its hard to find something less enthralling than a whining alcoholic. Other characters aren't much better. There also is a small technical plot hole. If you're bent on finding somebody, and time is of the essence, the game should encourage you to charge, or at least try to get to your goal ASAP. But it doesn't. Oh no. It does everything to discourage you, it even award you for not doing so. You have to find clues and parts of golden weapons as bonus objectives (remember when bonus objectives were a real part of games that made you do a level 5 or 6 times to get everything right?) Here its just the opposite. You have to canvas entire areas looking for something that might be a clue, or a weapon part. Which can be ludicrously hidden at times. Again, this isn't something new, and games such as Black had this.

The game also has too much cliches. You have the favellas bit (Fear 3, Modern Warfare 2), escaping a burning building (EVERYTHING last year)... What it lacks is innovation. And being fun.
  89. Jan 30, 2013
    Positive things are nice graphics, movie-like gaming experience and quite ok storyline. Negative things are that cutscenes may start even if you don't want to proceed on level yet (no warning) and ALWAYS after cutscene Max changes his rifle to pistol, which is...aaaargh! At it's worst, Max Payne 3 is continous repeat of itself: walk-shoot-cutscene-walk-shoot-cutscene (boring!), mixed withPositive things are nice graphics, movie-like gaming experience and quite ok storyline. Negative things are that cutscenes may start even if you don't want to proceed on level yet (no warning) and ALWAYS after cutscene Max changes his rifle to pistol, which is...aaaargh! At it's worst, Max Payne 3 is continous repeat of itself: walk-shoot-cutscene-walk-shoot-cutscene (boring!), mixed with average storyline. As a whole, this game ain't nothing new or special, just a shooter with slow-motion and nice graphics. Expand
  90. Jan 26, 2013
    I love this game. Although the gameplay is a some what repetitive, the story is amazing and the graphics beautiful. Bullet Time is better than ever and you will need it to stay alive, because this game is hard. The only thing that's wrong about the story is that almost everyone dies, but the rest of the story is perfect. I also think that this game has one of the most underratedI love this game. Although the gameplay is a some what repetitive, the story is amazing and the graphics beautiful. Bullet Time is better than ever and you will need it to stay alive, because this game is hard. The only thing that's wrong about the story is that almost everyone dies, but the rest of the story is perfect. I also think that this game has one of the most underrated multiplayer modes of all time, it's extremely deep and fun. Too bad almost no one plays it. If you like crime movies, good stories, slow motion and just a well made game, pick this one up. Expand
  91. Jan 25, 2013
    After I played both prequels, I was worried they could have changed the meaning of payne like others did because the understanding of video games changed in the past few years. But, after all, I am very excited about what was produced by Rockstar and how they could connect the game to its prequels. The athmosphere is awesome. Seldom felt like being that in a game instead of sitting infrontAfter I played both prequels, I was worried they could have changed the meaning of payne like others did because the understanding of video games changed in the past few years. But, after all, I am very excited about what was produced by Rockstar and how they could connect the game to its prequels. The athmosphere is awesome. Seldom felt like being that in a game instead of sitting infront of a monitor and just playing. Music fits great to the surrounding and the story is one of that good old scool action hero movie style tales. I guess all most negative comments are written from guys who played the payne to relaxe or next to 2 or 3 other games. To get the best out of that game you have to treat it like a good book. Just enjoy it once in a while in the afternoon and play it chapter for chapter. Great stuff! Expand
  92. Jan 20, 2013
    There is only two words I can use to describe this game are "masterpiece" and "epic". You're literally playing a movie with a great story. The mechanics are easy, approachable, and fluid. Was ported very well also.
  93. Jan 18, 2013
    Uno de los mejores juegos a los que he jugado últimamente. La historia y estilo narrativo de la misma, engancha desde el primer momento. Si a eso le sumamos el estilo de juego que sigue el patrón de la primera y segunda parte aunque en un entorno muy diferente (Brasil, representado de una manera que te hace sentir verdaderamente allí), obtenemos una tercera parte queUno de los mejores juegos a los que he jugado últimamente. La historia y estilo narrativo de la misma, engancha desde el primer momento. Si a eso le sumamos el estilo de juego que sigue el patrón de la primera y segunda parte aunque en un entorno muy diferente (Brasil, representado de una manera que te hace sentir verdaderamente allí), obtenemos una tercera parte que está a la altura de la saga y que no defraudara ni a los que jugaron a las anteriores partes, como a los que se sumerjan en el mundo y vida de Max Payne por primera vez. Expand
  94. Jan 18, 2013
    Man, I really can't believe some people are rating this game low because you can't skip cutscenes, wow. Max Payne 3 is one of, if not THE best third person shooter of all time (single-player), if you disgaree you're not a gamer, that is a fact.
  95. Jan 17, 2013
    Not great as Max Payne 1 and 2, but actually a very good game. I've played this after Borderlands and there are abysmal differences. Max Payne, intended as game and not only as the character, has always so much charisma and class, unlike Borderlands and other FPS & TPS. The game has a good plot and it's very enjoyable and satisfying, with only a few situations maybe a little too difficultNot great as Max Payne 1 and 2, but actually a very good game. I've played this after Borderlands and there are abysmal differences. Max Payne, intended as game and not only as the character, has always so much charisma and class, unlike Borderlands and other FPS & TPS. The game has a good plot and it's very enjoyable and satisfying, with only a few situations maybe a little too difficult and frustrating. A must to play for old school Max Payne lovers and not. A really good graphic with a good optimization, and a great sound sample for weapons. Expand
  96. Jan 15, 2013
    Looks great, fluid movement from the characters and the environment is attractive and fun to explore. Action is fast paced and fun, the seamless load screen/cut scene makes it hard to put the game down, however, drag the experience down from the empty and poorly written story line that you can't skip through. This is not Max Payne either, Max was a ruthless emotionless man with nothing toLooks great, fluid movement from the characters and the environment is attractive and fun to explore. Action is fast paced and fun, the seamless load screen/cut scene makes it hard to put the game down, however, drag the experience down from the empty and poorly written story line that you can't skip through. This is not Max Payne either, Max was a ruthless emotionless man with nothing to lose, now he's a overly dramatic cry baby. The story and writing was so beautifully done in the first two games but unfortunately this falls well short and make you feel embarrassed for the clumsy misguided "max payne". Great game with a lot going for it, just not as Max Payne. Expand
  97. Jan 15, 2013
    It's a good game, visually awesome, but too short and overrated. It's very linear, you only end up shooting and shooting all the time... could have been much better, overall it felt really short.
  98. Jan 13, 2013
    I'm giving this game a zero because there are so many frustrating things about the playing experience that make me not want to play. I almost clicked uninstall just now but I'm going to wait and give it one more chance. My hopes are not high.

The story is really pretty decent and intriguing; I'd say the only thing that's kept me in the game this far. The actual game play and mechanics are abysmal and the game is wrought with bugs. I've had the same essential PC hardware for over 2 years (video card and processor, etc) and this is the first game that has ever caused a blue screen/crash. Approximately one out of every 5 times I take cover I get stuck in cover, cannot move, cannot peak out, aim or shoot and I have to wait until they shoot me to near death for it to animate me out or just restart the check point. It's bad enough that I mostly have to avoid the cover system.

Moving is awkward, clunky and slow. Mouse control/sensitivity is out of control. Luckily I have a mouse with a hardware button to adjust the DPI or I would not have been able to play this game at all. Aiming is still very clunky and predicting where your aim will go when leaving cover is nearly impossible.

There is an art style applied to the MANY cut scenes that you will want to hit someone for after the first 5 minutes. It looks like a VHF channel with signal problems on an old CRT television and they do it CONSTANTLY. Also the game will pull you out of actual game play into unskippable cut scenes without warning simply for stepping somewhere on the map. This often means you cannot go back to where you were before the cut scene which also means you can't collect items such as guns or ammo from enemies you just killed. Also fantastic is that your weapon selection is constantly changed FOR you during cut scenes and otherwise. Had dual pistols equipped? Maybe an assault rifle? Not anymore, now you just have one lousy pistol equipped and they've dumped you into a fire fight with a dozen bad guys. Enjoy that weapon switching too because it takes so long that you'll most likely get shot up while waiting for it or maybe even die. Overall there is a very low attention to detail in this game. Inconsistencies between scenes and cut scenes (can't keep track of what gun you're carrying). Very little player control and when you are in control it's just not very fun. What happens when you're in cover and you get shot close to death? You go into slow mo mode with a chance to kill the bad guy who shot you. This means you lose bullet time and you do an in place sideways dive of sorts so that you end up out of cover lying on your side. So even if you're able to win that little battle Max is so slow to get back up you'll probably just die again before you can get back to cover.

I REALLY can't believe that anyone play tested this and said "Yes, this is a fun game to play". It's a really embarrassingly bad game mechanically which ruins a pretty decent story experience.

P.S. Don't think that your game play actions have any actual effect on the outcome of events. The story and events are set in stone so you can fight your ass off for an hour and kill dozens or hundreds of bad guys only to have the entire purpose of your fighting undone in a 90 second cut-scene where suddenly you're powerless. Yay 1990's gaming!
  99. Jan 11, 2013
    The first word that comes to my mind when describing the game: mediocre. I just finished playing on hard difficulty level. I was just a kid when the first Max Payne came out, but I did play it again at a later time also. It was not that polished, but still an enjoyable experience. Max Payne 2 on the other hand was spectacular. The action was flawless, shooting was really fun and the storyThe first word that comes to my mind when describing the game: mediocre. I just finished playing on hard difficulty level. I was just a kid when the first Max Payne came out, but I did play it again at a later time also. It was not that polished, but still an enjoyable experience. Max Payne 2 on the other hand was spectacular. The action was flawless, shooting was really fun and the story went on smoothly. I did not expect this third installment to be a masterpiece like the previous one, but I still did expect an enjoyable piece of action. Luckily, I got it from Steam sale and did not pay full price.

The narration was repetitive and did not do really anything to move the plot. Cut scenes were really annoying, not only stopping any shooting action you might have had going on, but also putting you to some stupid starting position for the next fight. If you played Deus Ex: Human Revolution stealthily and were screaming during the first boss fight, that is the feeling you will be often having playing Max Payne 3.

Controls were frustrating at times. The cover system is flawed as changing cover (by diving jump for example) is impossible, you always have to exit your current cover first and risk getting shot. Luck is heavily involved in most of the firefights, especially if you have to change cover (because the scripted nature of the game forces you to). I did not have problems getting head shots, but sometimes one bullet just was not enough and when there are more than five guys shooting at you, you need lots of painkillers to even try those head shots. Painkillers, or luck, or preferably both. Some scenes were incredibly frustrating and required many tries just to learn by heart from where and when the next enemy was going to appear. It happened too often that there were still one or two enemies standing, I had no ammo left, my health was almost gone and without painkillers, I had to make a run for the nearest weapon, exiting my cover. At that point, it was simply a matter of luck whether I made it or was shot. And usually it was the latter, which really was not fun after certain amount of retries. Even after succeeding, you did not get any enjoyment from an exciting firefight, you only felt you were glad it was over. The point of painkillers was simply that, given enough retries, you could make it to the next checkpoint. In the previous games, having lots of painkillers enabled one to try out some imaginative ways of dealing with the enemies, resulting in more fun; having no painkillers forced one to play it safe. Here, it is just pure luck and eventually you will run out of it, painkillers or not.

The game also has good points, however. The graphics and sounds are fine, if nothing spectacular. A few scenes and even one or two cutscenes were genuinely fun. The game mechanics are simple enough that having all those weapon select wheels etc. from the console world did not distract too much. During my over ten-hour run, the game crashed just a couple of times. Still, I feel like cutting all the boring levels, dropping all the unnecessary cut-scenes and fixing a couple of frustrating firefights, the game would have been five hours at max a ride, but hugely more enjoyable. I would not recommend this, at least not with the hard difficulty level. Instead, try out Max Payne 2 if you fancy some nice shooting action.
  100. Jan 9, 2013
    Best game of 2012 for me, the pc ports really rocks: dx11 support, really smooth even on my old machine and full support also for 3dvision, great job Rockstar, more of this!!
    The game contains a lot of cut scenes very well done and much better than most of the movies i've seen recently, the action is frenetic and it can be also very tough on hard difficulty setting.
    Multiplayer also is
    Multiplayer also is very good, i'm playing with some friends and having a lot of fun, there are levels to advance like most of the recent fps shooters.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 29, 2012
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]