7.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1931 Ratings

1. Jan 27, 2015
    Locked on cutscenes forced to watch over and over for challenge modes defeats the point in challenge modes i was not going to sit there for 3000 years rewatching the damn cut scenes to do that.

Bugs map level bugs weapon bugs model bugs texture errors all on 2 copies of the game even on 360 the story was ok COMBAT SUCKED compared to MP and MP2 Missed the comic style missed the Film

the story was ok

COMBAT SUCKED compared to MP and MP2
    Missed the comic style missed the Film noir scenes like in MP and Mp2

THIS WAS A CASH GRAB ON A ESTABLISHED NAME it was totally different game

Don't make another max payne you ruined it enough.....................
  2. Dec 3, 2014
    Too much cutscenes, boring playing and boring story. I literally haven't seen a game as overrated as this one. Waste of money. I am having hard time believing how people rate this game so high. It must be under 15 kids who never got the chance to play original 1 & 2. What a pitty. If you are a skilless kid who doesn't expect anything but shooting a gun and watching long videos from a game,Too much cutscenes, boring playing and boring story. I literally haven't seen a game as overrated as this one. Waste of money. I am having hard time believing how people rate this game so high. It must be under 15 kids who never got the chance to play original 1 & 2. What a pitty. If you are a skilless kid who doesn't expect anything but shooting a gun and watching long videos from a game, buy it. Otherwise, stay away. Expand
  3. Dec 1, 2014
    I paid the game and the game got installed. It just didn't work on PC. Tons of people have issues with the Rockstar social club overlay.
    A few days after my purchase, I still can't play. The money I spent is not for entertainment. It was spent for doing quality assurance for Rockstar's social club.
  4. Nov 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firstly, it makes no sense to see him so depressed about his family and Mona's death, if you finished the second one on the hardest difficulty she survived and came to terms with the loss of his family...
    Secondly, this games focus in on slomo gun-play, not narrative... and the comic book style of narrative delivery is replaced with long cut-scenes
    Thirdly, the focus Isn't on Max (and/or his relationship with Mona) it is on some rich snobs who employed him
    I could go on but, Its not a terrible game, assuming that you have NOT played the first two before otherwise itll be hard not to judge it harshly
  5. Sep 27, 2014
    Awful.

Gameplay and interface are heavy consolized. You can't find here a rapid adrenaline action, like in previous games, just a hours of boring shooting from the covers. Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game,
    Awful.

Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game, because I started wanting to drop it after first hour - and the plot only making more blunt after it. Seriously, the one of the worst storyline in AAA-videogames ever, including Call of Duties.

Visual style and soundtrack scores solid 0/10
  6. Sep 21, 2014
    For the second time, I played through several chapters and saved, shut the game down, and came back later only to find that much of my progress had been wiped out. Again: I didn't go back to a specific chapter and I allowed the game to save as you are supposed to. I don't "have read-only enabled" or any other stupid **** I just played the game as intended, and lost half my progress.For the second time, I played through several chapters and saved, shut the game down, and came back later only to find that much of my progress had been wiped out. Again: I didn't go back to a specific chapter and I allowed the game to save as you are supposed to. I don't "have read-only enabled" or any other stupid **** I just played the game as intended, and lost half my progress.

**** Rockstar for **** all over the PC versions of their games. This will be the last Rockstar title that I buy.
  7. Aug 31, 2014
    Just hating on this game for annoying DRM practices.

Can't even start games up these without having to sign in to some **** platform, I already have steam, is that not good enough?

Also **** Ubisoft's Uplay aswell.
  8. Aug 13, 2014
    There is no Max Payne 3. It looks nice, it is out there along with all the other good looking games, it has all the whistles and bells for a good decent game, you know, the gangsta stuff R.star is good at. But this is not Max Payne 3. Play MP 1&2 and my affirmation will make sense.
  9. Jun 24, 2014
    not really like the original good Max Payne 1 and 2.
    I really tried to like it...but i couldn't!
    Max Payne 3 is like a Trippe A cutscene, railroadshooter... You are forced to do Railroad like missions, you can't move like you want in missions (and you could move where ever you want in the good old max payne games, like in the hotel mission or the other crazy cool missions). Now you are
    not really like the original good Max Payne 1 and 2.
    I really tried to like it...but i couldn't!
    Max Payne 3 is like a Trippe A cutscene, railroadshooter...
    Now you are forced to walk in one direction and if you fail, reload at checkpoint and try again.
    There are also VERY ANNYOING Railroad missions, like you are sitting in a helicopter and you are forced to shoot enemys...if you fail, do it again WTF? I want move with Max payne and kill the enemys on my way!
    This is the worst thing they could do with the max payne series.
    I had not fun with the new max payne...the multiplayer was is okay, but the singleplayer isn't good...
    Like AVGN would say "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?"
    Please go back to roots!
  10. Vex
    May 13, 2014
    This game is so monotonous, linear and boring, words can't even begin to express. There are only 3 mechanics in the game: shooting, examining trivia and pushing buttons/pulling levers. The game throws waves upon waves of enemies at you, which not only kills any semblance of realism, but also makes sure you get frustrated for having to replay the same section/hangar/floor for the n-th timeThis game is so monotonous, linear and boring, words can't even begin to express. There are only 3 mechanics in the game: shooting, examining trivia and pushing buttons/pulling levers. The game throws waves upon waves of enemies at you, which not only kills any semblance of realism, but also makes sure you get frustrated for having to replay the same section/hangar/floor for the n-th time after getting killed in the stupidest way possible. It is not possible to approach problems stealthily, use tactics or any kind of planning; instead the game will often do the stupidest thing - Max will open a big door to a room full of enemies (big surprise) and literally throw himself in the midst of them, trying to shoot them up using slo-mo instead of staying where he is and taking them out from there.

The only saving grace of this game is nice graphics and really good voice acting. It appears as though Rockstar wanted to make a movie instead of a game. It plays like a half-baked shooter from 1998.

What a waste of time. Avoid.
  11. Mar 19, 2014
    Very nice and moody graphics. But not the graphics is, what I'm rating. MP3 is a movie, but you have to press buttons and click your mouse to proceed. Looks like there's lot of work put in this product, but what's the most important, what made previous Max Paine great game is disappointing.
    Yes, I regret spending 7€ on this piece of software.
    Go get some of previous versions of this game
    Yes, I regret spending 7€ on this piece of software.
    Go get some of previous versions of this game and have some fun.
  12. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is the definition of how stupid devs think players are. If you "die", you get a 98% autoaimed, 1 shot kill, superslowmotion, no more damaged, moment that the game makes shure that if you would miss the shot you would probably would have to get put in a mental hospital for how bad you aim. And if you have fought through a long area and have not much hp left and die? well let theThis game is the definition of how stupid devs think players are. If you "die", you get a 98% autoaimed, 1 shot kill, superslowmotion, no more damaged, moment that the game makes shure that if you would miss the shot you would probably would have to get put in a mental hospital for how bad you aim. And if you have fought through a long area and have not much hp left and die? well let the game respawn you just a few meter behind your death with full hp, making painkillers much more usless. And this is all on hard. The difficulty of the max payne games drops as the year they're made in increases.
    And not to mention the devs seems like they felt unoriginal enough to hop on the "lets pretend we came up with these locations in some far country where terrorist operate" train. The game has lost its original dark feeling of max payne 1 and 2. You are just a soldier working for others. And terrorists feel like killing people.
  13. Feb 4, 2014
    An ok game that might have lived up to its predecessor if not for the overly long unskippable cutscenes, terrible checkpoint save system, and nauseatingly overdone 'TV interference' screen effects. Its not the worst console port, but its still a port. If you load an earlier level, your progress is not saved. The story is decent though, and the various locations looks authentic. TheAn ok game that might have lived up to its predecessor if not for the overly long unskippable cutscenes, terrible checkpoint save system, and nauseatingly overdone 'TV interference' screen effects. Its not the worst console port, but its still a port. If you load an earlier level, your progress is not saved. The story is decent though, and the various locations looks authentic. The graphics are good (its a huge 31GB download). Some of the set pieces feel like any bland console shooting gallery (on-rails section complete with inaccurate overheating machine gun and unlimited ammo). Flaws aside, Rockstar has made a decent game that still has enough 'Max Payne' in it, but I cant help but think Remedy (who made the first Max Payne games, and the excellent Alan Wake) could have done better. Worth the steam sale price. Expand
  14. Dec 25, 2013
    I've bought this game on Steam for €4.,95 and I enjoyed MP I II. This game really sucks. Time spend on this game will be either watching cut scenes or watching your self die. U die all the time so you just don't care about what happens next u'll die anyway for sure and spend 30+ tries to survive one encounter.
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but the game still sucks. Like a Hollywood block buster where everything is repetitive and you just know what's gonna happen. Too much money and to little actual gaming. What a wasted opportunity.
  15. Dec 11, 2013
    I do not like these cutscenes. With all this psycho filter You can skip some Cutscenes, others not.
    It is a complete waste of time.The gameplay is also horrible. The AI has a response time which is abnormally high.
    One could say the AI is good, no they bad. enemy running around like frightened chickens. Many opponents are triggered. And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you
    Many opponents are triggered.
    And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you are flying against an obstacle with Shootdodge it breaks off.
    Last Stand...if you have no ammo you can not use it. If you do not see your target, you can not use it.
    The bullets do not come out of the gun the game pretends it only .
    You can hit enemys when your weapon is stuck in a wall if your aiming dot points to them. But you can not hit an opponent when the weapon is stuck in a opponent, when the Crosshair does not point to him.
    The annoying weapon switching after every cutscene and you in the whole i can say that the gameplay is totally up .

Many battles after you start a cutscene. You can find yourself in the worst possible position behind a cover. Because Max is entered other rooms only in cutscenes. There is no opportunity for the player to play for an advantage.

The level design is really good very detailed. But for a third person shoot dodge game the maps are too small, they just do not fit the gameplay.

The game requires fast reactions and movements. But Max reacts like an old fat ass.

Not to mention the story compared to the other parts of Max Payne are just horrible.

Next time Rockstar, more Game and less Entertainment.
  16. Dec 4, 2013
    Welcome to a shooter-gallery that holds your hand and treats you like a drooling idiot!

I could mention and rage about the fact, that max payne took 100 steps away from his noir-feeling and awesome comic-strip-storytelling. I could rage about his MTV-like flickering tranistions in the unskippable chores of cutscenenes. I could hit my head against the monitor after the agonizing

I could hit my head against the monitor after the agonizing account-hell called "Rockstar Club".
    (after denying my fresh created account-data it gave me some random name and let me wait for another 15 minutes. Although my steam account should be enough!?)
    But I will start with the one (not even that) positive thing in this "Game":
    The Animations.
    Enemies move smoothly from cover to cover and dodge our bullets with well animated moves.
    But thats it. I can't think about one other nice thing the game contributed.

The Shootouts feel challenging but not right. Someone wrote that Max Paynes Cover IS the bullet-Time. And so it shouldn't feel so useless with forced in cover-mechanics and Insta-Deaths!
    The Gunfights are mostly a short coverbased casual-bore between the force-fed cutscenes.

The rest of the game seems to give a shat about he player and puts a fishinghook through our nose to drag us from one flickering cutscene to the next.
    Rockstar seems to think we are all brainless dumbsters. Too stupid to use a mouse and shoot at things.
    Best and most hilarious example is the first (short) "Tutorial" that makes us read how we move the mouse and press the left butten.
    Seriously!
    I couldn't believe how patronizing and blatant despising this looks.
    WTF?! You think I am too stupid to shoot at things in a shootergame?!

And why do you have to force me watching your flickering cutscenes for people with the attention-span of a hyperactive toad?! I can't even wrap my head around this anymore. This is just a proof of a failing gaming industry that chums up with the brainless crazies that swarm like zombies into a black friday shopping riot.

I really don't know if I have to feel sorry for you or feel angry. In either way I hope you get bankrupt after the cod-kiddies that consume everybit of your "interactive entertainment" are bored once more and need another stimulating kick in their burnt up synapses.

I regret even spending the little money on the autumn-sale on Steam for this abomination.

Max Payne 3. A maximum payne in the....
  17. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is awful and I suggest not paying for this. At first, the game was crashing due to some "Rockstar Social Club" validation errors. After a few days of complaining a patch was released to fix the issues. I was able to play the game for a few days before it started crashing again due to "Social Club" issues. Also the gameplay is terrible and I concur with the reviewers thatThis game is awful and I suggest not paying for this. At first, the game was crashing due to some "Rockstar Social Club" validation errors. After a few days of complaining a patch was released to fix the issues. I was able to play the game for a few days before it started crashing again due to "Social Club" issues. Also the gameplay is terrible and I concur with the reviewers that mentioned the game plays more like a movie, than a game you're continously loosing control of your character. Expand
  18. Nov 7, 2013
    The makers of this game must have paid the critics to get such a high score. This game is absolutely atrocious. There isn't a single aspect of this game that is fun, aside from the bullet time action. But even that get's old, when that is all you're doing.

The game's camera and visual effects get old after 10 min of play..and they get downright distracting and painful to look at the longer you play the game. And I use the term "play" very loosely here, because you mostly spend looking at crappy shaky camera cut scenes. with a bit of running around and then just shooting enemies over...and over again. This game has not redeeming qualities, because even the bullet time action gets old because you have to use it CONSTANTLY, because the cover system sucks, and there is no strategy involved at all.

I would give this game a 0, but I'll give it a 2 because bullet time is fun for about 5 min, and there is one water level that's a bit fun. Otherwise, don't bother playing this game, and for the love of god DON'T BUY IT! Spend your money on something you'll actually get to play and won't give you seizures.
  19. Oct 25, 2013
    How can people praise this game? It's mostly cutscene after cutscene, your lucky if you get to walk down an alley before going to another cutscene. I don't recommend this game at all, the little actual game play is nothing great and it's more of an animated movie.
  20. Oct 19, 2013
    A bunch of shooting galleries inter-spaced with long cut scenes. Despite the decent graphics this game is simply not that entertaining. The fact that I had to sign up for a special account to play the game didn't help my opinion of the game.
  21. Oct 3, 2013
    Unfortunately as much as I tried liking this game, it is a complete fail on several crucial levels.

PROs: 1) Euphoria. Though it isn't as awesome or revolutionary as some of the people online make it sound. As it stands now, Euphoria barely changes anything in the shooter genre and hardly ever looks any different to regular ragdoll physics. Besides, the novelty effects wears out after

PROs:
    1) Euphoria. Though it isn't as awesome or revolutionary as some of the people online make it sound. As it stands now, Euphoria barely changes anything in the shooter genre and hardly ever looks any different to regular ragdoll physics. Besides, the novelty effects wears out after 3-4 levels. It simply isn't that special. The amount of time spent improving the tech since the 2008 GTA IV release doesn't show.

2) Some of the levels have that special touch that makes them a genuine pleasure to navigate and explore, on the other hand, there is plenty of derivatively dull map design as well (perhaps, it makes the majority of this game).

CONs:
    1) Cutscenes. Constant cutscenes, to the extent of wanting to exit the game. I am at a loss as to what they were trying to achieve with a few hours of engine-rendered storytelling. Games are about doing, controlling your character. If I want passive storytelling, I'll watch a movie, engine-rendered cinematics (mo-capped or not) are no match for live action photography. Crappy shaky camera effects, interlaced wording flashing on screen (supposedly to emphasize the dire emotions communicated thus). Why undermine the medium? That was plain silly. They poured time and resources on destroying what the original Max Payne had been executing flawlessly with some drawn static comic book loading screens.

2) Writing. The cutscene annoyance's been amplified by the witless, moronic writing. I find it hard to put it into words, but it's simply bad and keeps repeating itself like hell: booze, remorse, need to push forward, "I am probably a fool for doing this, but hell..." Do they keep some emotional idiots at rockstar just for such scripts? Not to mention it sports a thousand film clichés and blatantly rips off some of them (as well as ripping off some games).

3) Clunky controls. Poorly implemented cover system, that is plain unwieldy to use, not to mention you get shot 9 out of 10 times when using it. The floating camera mechanics is badly done too, you get shot when turning corners and take massive damage without even having the slightest chance of evaluating the situation. This leads to you having to replay those sections of the game, which hampers the sense of story flow and messes with your game progress (kinda like cheating, knowing that there is a dude behind the corner, so you jump out slo-mo).

The graphics is really nothing special either. Overall this game makes a silly impression. Sorry for all the artistic that went in to it (meaning the man-hours spent modeling and animating this turkey).
  22. Oct 1, 2013
    Here is summary of this "exciting" game. Cutscene (unskippable) playing time will be MUCH LONGER than your game play time. Cutscene, press mouse, cutscene showing the result of your shoot, move, cutscene, shoot, cutscene, player positioned in a dangerous position, shoot, custscene........... cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, game ends.

Thank you for watching a boring film introduced by R*.
  23. Sep 27, 2013
    max payne 3 is one of the best third person shooters i ever played. it has a great campaign and also a good multiplayer. the games graphics are amazing and textures look really good. the games story is really good!! its interesting and deep. the storytelling and writing are amazing and the writing is maybe the best ive seen! the music is also great and setts the mood. the gameplay ismax payne 3 is one of the best third person shooters i ever played. it has a great campaign and also a good multiplayer. the games graphics are amazing and textures look really good. the games story is really good!! its interesting and deep. the storytelling and writing are amazing and the writing is maybe the best ive seen! the music is also great and setts the mood. the gameplay is really good and guns feel great. the mission that take place in the past are also good. the animatins for max, like how he holds the guns are really good and convincing. the game does have a lot of long cutscenes, which may annoy some people, but personally i really liked them and it gave the game a cinematic feel. bulletime is also really fun and makes this game distinct. bulletime also never gets old and jumpig and shooting in slow-mo is really cool. the games multiplayer is also pretty good. while it doesnt innovate in a lot of ways, its still pretty good. the game has a lot of maps, guns and avatar customization. using slow mo in multiplayer is also really awesome and cool!!!
    overall this is a great game if your looking for a third person shooter!! buy it
  24. Sep 18, 2013
    Literally the worst max payne ever... the history is normal ,but the Game is a big bunch of Lags issues .BUT THE WORST Thing in Max payne 3 is the multiplayer... For god's sake who's done that... Who decideded to that the guy who will be shot in a hand will be killed?! AND SOCIAL CLUB.. It's a bit complicated and boring
  25. Sep 10, 2013
    average cover based shooter. completely agree with wilddeer's review below. save me writing one

Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene. Max, may i open that door? No, cutscene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutscene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens? No, cutscene will look around for you.
  26. Aug 22, 2013
    The best part of the game is it's graphics. Graphics however do not make a game. The story is forced and unoriginal being ripped from a subpar movie. Max payne deserves a better story than a sub par movie plot.
  27. Aug 19, 2013
    A frustrating and maddening game primarily because of the way it was implemented.

Cutscenes and slow-mo cams killed this game. You spend about 3 minutes shooting people and once you just about got into the groove, a cut scene ensues and it breaks the pacing. Another silly thing implemented was that you would automatically slow down when going past an object relevant to the game. Case in point: At some point you will be fighting in a building and you are meant to attach some objects to the pillars. You can be running around and all of a sudden, you just slow to a crawl simply because you are going past a pillar.

Slow-mo cams. The annoying part of the game is when you are just about to die, the game goes into some slow-mo mode that the devs must have thought cool, but it isn't. What's irritating about it is that you automatically do a flying lunge (often on your back) and the game slows down taking on some saturated look and you're left desperately hunting for the cross hair (which has changed position, often way off the mark because the view has switched to some awful position that often is behind a wall or such that you appear to be viewing things out of your arse) to kill the person who was causing you so much damage. Once that's accomplished, you end up remaining on the floor and in a dilemma because if you stand, you get hit and there's no option to reliably get back into cover or crouch automatically.

Next, scripted actions. When you enter any room or reload, you automatically end up with a pistol. No matter if you are carrying the baddest assed gun in the game, you end up with the pistol. This is fine for the early bits, but when you are faced with enemies wearing body armour and carrying assault rifles and outnumbering you 7:1, you don't want a puny pistol that has only 8 rounds in the mag. What's worse is that the time it takes to change means that the enemies are often right on top of you because that's the way the game was scripted.

Also, there's a strange bug that causes you to lose control of the keyboard and you end up defaulting into the aimed mode but you can fire or jump or anything except walk at a slow pace. This happens even in the midst of a firefight and has caused several reloads. Silly video effects like wavy cams, blue-red distortions and other necessary effects destroy all that's left of this once fun franchise (see Max Payne and Max Payne 2).

In conclusion, stay away from this and other Rockstar North games until they sort their sh it out. Better yet, wait for it to come down even lower in a couple more years when it's in the bargain bin or on some sale. Rockstar needs to be taught a lesson via their income statement to stop developing half-assed movies that masquerade as a game. If I wanted a movie, I'd pay for it (cheaper) and sit with my spouse in either the comfort of my home or in a theatre and eat chips and drink sodas and not frustrate myself with this movie-on-rails. That's right, you could hardly qualify this as a shooter even.
  28. Aug 7, 2013
    There is potentially a great game here, marred by excessive use of cut-scene's, many of which seem completely unnecessary and interrupt otherwise great action scenes.

The downtime in a game should be for exploration and recuperating but this game allows for little to none of that. While i understand that pacing is important, I found that the frequency with which control was taken from me served only to frustrate me.

Then, to further my frustration, the game decides that every time you enter a cut-scene you must switch to your pistol or smg to take out the baddies regardless of whether or not you are holding a rifle or not. then it would throw a tonne of baddies at you and laugh as you fumble around trying to get that rifle out again.

Just so many things done so wrong and it's a shame because the story and characters are so well done.

Avoid, it's not worth the Payne...
  29. Aug 2, 2013
    Bought during summer sales, one of the rare games that i find its a chore to play. many reviewers mentioned that the game has too many cut scenes and i share this argument. the game mechanics is also flawed, often a cut scene will leave you wide open to various assaults, which results to instant death on higher difficulties.

the games controlls are also bad, while mouse can be

the games controlls are also bad, while mouse can be calibrated to your needs the crosshair moves depending on where you are at cover. this leads to more frustrating moments where you pop up to take a shot only to realise that the crosshair is somewhere else

bullet time is also not used often cause its rather pointless, the cramped and dense surroundings would mean that majority of the time you will hit something and lay vulnerable to gunfire

dont buy unless dirt cheap, like steam sales
  30. Jul 16, 2013
    I'm a long time fan of the Max Payne games. Max Payne 1 blew my mind, Max Payne 2 was an awesome sequel, but Max Payne 3 is something completely different in a bad way. When I played Max Payne 3 the first thing that disappointing me was the lack of gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like in the previous Max Payne games, some sad, depressing music with depressed Max Payne talkingI'm a long time fan of the Max Payne games. Max Payne 1 blew my mind, Max Payne 2 was an awesome sequel, but Max Payne 3 is something completely different in a bad way. When I played Max Payne 3 the first thing that disappointing me was the lack of gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like in the previous Max Payne games, some sad, depressing music with depressed Max Payne talking every now and then. Next the story, simply putting it, it was cheesy as hell. Then the gameplay, why did they have to make it as a checkpoint game. The usual ''save whenever you want'' way is much better and less frustrating. The only good thing that I can say is about the graphics, they are pretty good, but that's it. A huge disappointment for me as a Max Payne fan. Expand

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]