7.6

1. BMF
    Jun 4, 2012
    I have been waiting for Max Payne 3 for a long time and it didnt disapoint. The story is excellent the graphics and sound are both PC quality and the combat plays out with some of the best ragdoll physics and blood effects I have ever seen. The game can get brutaly hard at some points but I never wanted to give up and im still craving more after beating the storyline.
  2. May 12, 2013
    Max payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm glad I did. Fight scenes are pretty realistic, and weapon handling and mechanics are realistic and good too (you can only carry 2 handguns and 1 big gun). Story is pretty good, but I didn't follow some stuff (i'm retarded like that). The only problem is that the game weighs in at 30 GB which is massive (it obliterated my download quota).

I don't really care about multiplayer, but the single player rocks! I also didn't mind the trippy visuals, like some people did.

I think PC game fans are being very ungrateful. Even if this is a console port (I absolutely detest consoles and consoletards), they've done a superb job of it and it is eminently playable on PC.
  3. Jun 3, 2012
    The first question everyone asked themselves, is it going to be another console port? Well it runs smooth for me so it has been optimized well but sometimes it sucks up all my memory so then the game crashes... I'm a hardcore Max Payne fan, and I've been waiting for this game a long time. I've completed it on medium, I've tried out the multiplayer so here's my review. The single player is good fun, and it lasted about 7 hours for me. The weapons are nicely done, and the graphics are pretty good. I would had given this a 9 or a 10 if Rockstar didn't shove a huge amount of cutscenes in this game. You cant skip quite a few of them because it just says "Still Loading" when it should be clearly loaded in 5-10 seconds. It just goes, wave, cutscene, wave, cutscene. It's quite annoying since I want to kill stuff and blaze through the levels. As for the cover system its ok, it makes the game more tactical when to shoot and what weapon you'll use. I also hate that when you're being shot at, it makes it unclear where the bullets are if you're not in bullet time. If you're low on health then the enemies sometimes shoot and you have no time to react or anything. You just die. Also bullet time runs out so easily which is annoying, it needs to last longer. Multiplayer is good, it works. You can customize your models which is awesome. The shotgun is overpowered though in deathmatch... Aside from that, the game is pretty good. Its just that the cutscenes are mainly annoying. Expand
  4. Jun 3, 2012
    Excellent continuation of the cult franchise. Great game. Bravo Rockstar.
    Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours.
    Max payne has always been my favourite game but i
    was a little worried about the third part bcoz it wasnt remedy making the game but no disrespect to Rockstar they are awesome specially i thnk so after playing max payne 3 it is an awesome game great story driven action heart pumping gameplay and brilliant multiplayer i must say i am thrilled after playing it and have to say rockstar have not let us down again and hasnt let the game die instead has made it famous.
    Bravo Rockstar.
  5. Jun 11, 2012
    This is not a game at least not a full price one. Many games for iPhones and Android have more gameplay to offer! It is an interactive movie and should probably be reviewed in the movie section. Yes graphics are great but gameplay and story??? Ridiculous attempt and it feels so forced. 3 out of 10 for the graphic effort from Rockstar but as a game I wasted my money as it is fun for 10 mins (and it does not feel like you actually play more than this overall anyway) but then remains dull and just plain stupid. Warning!!!
    ONLY BUY THIS IF YOUR IQ IS WELL BELOW AVERAGE OR YOU WISH TO EMPTY YOUR BRAIN FOR A WHILE!
  6. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm so happy I got this on the steam sale. Max Payne 3 is one of those games that make you clear one area, and after this you move on to the next. If you get killed, you have to start over again. Sometimes the 'areas' turn out to be much larger than one would have thought and after completing a challenging part of a level, you move on, looking around (more about this in a second) only to get shot and restart something that you already did. I know there are people that like this kind of thing: if that's you, you might like the game. But that's not the only shortcoming of the game.

I normally love games with a good story. Max Payne attempted to be cinematic, but it failed miserably. The way they created his character is just cheesy. You've got an ex-cop, who's a pill-popping alcoholic, who takes a bottle of pain killers and chases them down with a bottle of vodka or whiskey or whatever is his poison. All that Max does is complain about being a failure, monotonously. His wise-cracks are just like he is as a character: miserable and predictable. And, always banging on the same drum, ultimately boring. I know that sometimes protagonists of video games are supposed to be stereotypical, but its hard to find something less enthralling than a whining alcoholic. Other characters aren't much better. There also is a small technical plot hole. If you're bent on finding somebody, and time is of the essence, the game should encourage you to charge, or at least try to get to your goal ASAP. But it doesn't. Oh no. It does everything to discourage you, it even award you for not doing so. You have to find clues and parts of golden weapons as bonus objectives (remember when bonus objectives were a real part of games that made you do a level 5 or 6 times to get everything right?) Here its just the opposite. You have to canvas entire areas looking for something that might be a clue, or a weapon part. Which can be ludicrously hidden at times. Again, this isn't something new, and games such as Black had this.

The game also has too much cliches. You have the favellas bit (Fear 3, Modern Warfare 2), escaping a burning building (EVERYTHING last year)... What it lacks is innovation. And being fun.
  7. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Upon further playing I have come to realise this game is actually fantastic. Think about it Max was done in New Jersey and this was portrayed brilliantly in the flashback section of the game. All the nods to the previous games are a nice touch especially the piano playing. It leaves a few important things unanswered but it is somehow ok. Expand
  8. Jun 1, 2012
    Absolutely superb game. beautifully optimised for PC with loads of lovely DX11 goodness added. Wonderful looking game and every bit the Max Payne I wanted it to be. If you liked the first two you must get this.
  9. Jun 8, 2012
    Okay, a few things to be understood about this game before purchasing: YES it is a linear third-person shooter, YES it has a lot of cut-scenes, and I don't find either of those factors to be a problem. Max Payne 3, like so many other Rockstar games, tries to craft a good story, and I find that it does a better job of doing this than most other story focused third-person or first-person shooters. The voice-acting is good, HEALTH did an excellent job with the soundtrack, and the graphics and settings are very nice. The game knows exactly what it wants to be and pulls it off. I did have the game crash on me a few times and there are issues with the "Last Stand" mechanic, but overall I was very satisfied with the experience. Before getting this, be aware that it plays a lot like a movie interspersed with a third-person shooter, but I find it worked very well. If you don't care for cut-scenes than this is not the game for you, otherwise I would recommend Max Payne 3. Expand
  10. Jun 1, 2012
    Okay so I played this on Xbox 360 but waited till the PC release to buy it and I must say, there is a difference. I have recently just migrated to PC gaming as I have no intention of buying a new console and I built a very high mid range so it runs it very well, and Max Payne 3 runs smooth and very pretty. This looks so much better than any game I have played on console, even Max Payne 3 itself. Runs at a higher frame than the 30 fps cap of console too. I must say I am very pleased. Expand
  11. gas
    Jul 16, 2012
    This game is pure garbage. Tbh thats all, but i try to explain something.
    This is pretty much an interactive movie, you see 1 min of movie, then you got a 1 min shooting stage, if you pass it you go to the next movie and so on.
    If you die and need to redo a stage you will have to see again and again a short intro movie, and you cant skip it.
    Also, if you have to redo a session, the game
    will switch the weapon you are using with the standard pistol every time.
    Game is all on rails, you have zero freedom, its all heavily scripted, so there is absolutley no replayability, also the game is scripted in a manner that wanna be hollywood movie, so you must play rambo always, you cant choose to sneak or do something different.
    The game is a console port, as usual for Rockstar , not so bad as they did with gta IV, but still its not a good job, beside the graphic which imo is not so important, the problem is about mouse movement, which is for some reason clunky, it feels glued to the screen sometimes, very fast in game, very slow in the menus and super slow in bullet time... its quite bad and even tryin to change settings there is a bad feeling about it, any pc fps is 1000 times better.
    I can add also that the cover system plus the bullet time system adds a layer of gameplay wich is not really needed imo, and its not developed so good, max cant cover in many situations due to irregular surfaces, and / or cant detach so easily from some others.
    At the end i really hope that developers will return to develop games where GAMEPLAY is the core, not those kind of hollywood wannabe interactive movies.
    I give it a score of 2 cause the voice acting, the movie direction and photography are good, but as this is a game, i want a game not a movie.
  12. Nov 27, 2012
    The good: I got it on the Steam sale for $14.99 and the gun play can be fun.

The bad: the amount of cut scenes is maddening. When people say shoot for a moment, cut scene, repeat they are not kidding - it gets old fast.

The horrible: they keep doing out of focus and disorienting colors/perspective constantly - this eventually gave me a serious headache. I don't know if I have the
    will power to go on...

The ridiculous: kidnap one person and thousands must die (it might make sense by the end...I doubt it).
  13. Jun 1, 2012
    Max Payne 1 and 2 were linear - completely linear. Mission one came before mission two and there were not that many routes in each mission. At a tactical level (how to clear a room) there is LOTS of choice - but like all the other MP games - it's linear. Controls are excellent, graphics are not up to much (cartoony - maybe a fraction better than Red Dead Redemption on the PS3 - but the PS3 is a 6 year old system using graphics hardware from the mid 2000's. Butr that's the end of my probelms. The game play very well indeed. The cut scenes are often but most ore not that long - but like I said at the top - this is the same as all the other MP games. This is MP3 NOT GTA Brazil. If it's standard Rockstar game mechanics you are after you might me a little dissapointed. Me? I love it Expand
  14. Mar 20, 2013
    this has nothing to do with the original Max Payne 1 and 2. it's basically a bundle of cutscenes with occasional shooting. it's really embarrassing to call this thing a game. a game is something i would like to play, not to watch.
  15. Jun 1, 2012
    The problem with Max Payne 3 is, that it is not Max Payne. Cover: Max Payne doesn't need cover. The bullet time IS his cover. Taking cover is also way more effective than bullet time due to the narrow environments. Effects: the Kane & Lynch aesthetic is terribly distracting. Controls: clunky and unresponsive. Graphics: ok, but nothing special, the animations are awful especially in multiplayer. The 16 player matches are a clusterf* because of bad player spawn placement. Expand
  16. Oct 16, 2012
    This is a copy of 'wilddeer' review (see June 15th 2012). He/she said exactly what I feel about this game so I therefore used his/her words -------------------> Shooting gallery, cut scene, shooting gallery, cut scene, nothing, cut scene, shooting gallery, painfully long cut scene. Max, may i open that door? No, cut scene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cut scene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens? No, cut scene will look around for you. Expand
  17. Oct 31, 2012
    Max Payne 3 can't decide whether it's a game or movie. It does both elements exceptionally well, but switches between them every 10 to 30 seconds. The first hour is pretty fun, but after that you'll come to loathe every unskippable cutscene or bulletcam sequence.

You will have to constantly battle the game for control. Half the time you can't tell whether you're in control or in a
    cutscene, because running, jumping and bullet time get disabled for no apparent reason, Max walks along a set path regardless of the direction you're looking, or the camera forces you to look at something.

To make matters worse, despite the constant theme of urgency, every level contains collectable pieces of "Golden Guns" that you have to explore every corner to find. As accidentally triggered cutscenes have a habit of blocking off visited locations, this quickly becomes tedious.

In short, this game is exceedingly frustrating. If Rockstar released a DLC that removed all the cutscenes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat; but until then, I regret paying money for this junk.
  18. Jul 2, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game. I can go into detail about all the graphics, gameplay mechanics, story and so on, but all I will do is URGE you to go and buy this game immediately if you haven't already. Breathtaking, amazing, hypnotic, mesmerizing, indulging - I just love it, and I'm definitely going to play through it again!
  19. Jun 12, 2012
    After finally beating this game, I have many things to say. First, the good things. 1. It's very good visually. It's pretty cool how the bullet actually goes through your character, and out the other side. 2. It's got a GREAT story. I would play through it again just for that. 3. It's true to the game play of the first two Max Payne games. Now for the downsides: 1. It Does WAY too many camera effects. 2. It didn't do any trippy flashbacks like in the first two games. 3. It was sort of predictable, not like the first one. 4. Multiplayer mode has that god awful auto assign for match play. I'm glad I bought it. Expand
  20. Oct 3, 2012
    Ahh Max Payne, too long it has been since we had a fresh installment but like Hitman Absolution that is coming out this year it is great to have a new title in the series. Infact Hitman blood Money & Max Payne 2 are games I so enjoyed they have become mainstays in my games library and I go back to them a few times a year to blast through certain sections again.

Max Payne 3 is a worth
    addition to the series, however despite its amazing graphics and decent story I dont think it managed to surpass Max Payne 2 overall.

Graphically the game is incredible and the setting is quite good though I enjoyed the Seedy Favelas and the flashbacks to events in the USA most of all. Max Payne was always about gitty urban environments something that seems to have been a little lost in MP3. The Shooter mechanics I found suffered a little in this outting also. A cover mechanic was added which I found added little to the game and I found flind fire mostly worthless as it was innaccurate and did not deter the AI or force them into cover at all thus of no use to open up opportunities to move from cover to cover. The addition of this new mechanic also detracts from what made MP1 and 2 so great which is bullet time. Compounding this Bullet time no longer slowly recharges on its own (unless that was just a result of the difficulty i was playing on) as it did in the previous games but must be replenished by killing enemies.

As a result this made the gameplay experience feel slower and less like the john woo films the first two games were modelled after. Also slowing the game down even more were the custcenes. is the story good ? yes do the custscenes tell it well ? yes did we need cutscenes so frequently ? no did we need all of the cutscenes ? no like a good film some scenes would be better off left on the cutting room floor and a lot of the internal dialogue could have been conducted while roaming the levels instead of as fixed cutscenes.

Some of the fights are rediculous with waves and waves of bad guys throwing themselves at you and just trying to overwhelm you with sheer numbers which in a half a dozen sequences they irritatingly will over & over again until you get lucky and manage to get through.

Overall I enjoyed the single player experience. Multiplayer is interesting but the community is quite small and game hard to find in my experience. The other game modes are fun for a while but it doesnt last and there are really no particular missions from the main game I find myself wanting to go back and play more than once or twice and I put this down to the new way bullet time charges itself and the fact the game is designed around more cover based shooting now.

Worth a look but I still think Max Payne 2 is the best of the series thus far.
  21. Jun 2, 2012
    It's hard to spoil that kind of game - the recipe is simple and all one needs to do for a successful sequel is to follow it to the letter - but Rockstar managed to screw it up just fine. Boring story, boring gameplay, boring dialogue, and no graphic novels. Oh, and shaky camera. How novel! Yawn.

The first thing that comes out it you is a lengthy cinematic. It keeps going, and going, and
    going... eh? yes, still going. No, you can't skip it. For extra fun, you can't even quit the damn game while it's playing, either - the only button you have is to pause it (thanks for that! no, seriously, after the first 2 minutes of that intro I went and made some tea so I could have something to do while watching the rest of it).

While we're at it, the camera just drives me nuts. I understand that all the shaking and the occasional visual glitch effect is intended to convey the perma-drunken state of the player character, but WTF? I GOT IT ALREADY, NOW STOP IT, MY HEAD HURTS!

Dialogue... they tried real hard to copy the gritty wittiness of the original Max Payne, and failed just as hard. Max goes for irony in every second line he speaks, but it's all pretty stale and shallow, and gets boring very quick. The rest of his talk is mostly bitter complaining about how bad things are and how much worse they're going to be. Again, very repetitive, pointless and annoying. Practically no real essence in those lines, overall.

Whew, now that the cinematic is over, I can haz some slo-mo pistol headshots and stuff? Yup... for about one minute. Then it's another two-minute unskippable cinematic. Then another minute of action... and so it goes. What's worse yet, the whole purpose of those periods of no control seems to place Max in precisely the point where he (you!) will have the hardest time dealing with oncoming waves of enemies. Like, say, kicking the door into the room chock full of bad guys, and running to the most wimpy piece of furniture that can still be used for cover - standing in precisely such a location that enemies running in through any door will get a convenient shot should Max peek out. For extra fun, regardless of which gun you were using when the cinematic started, by the end of it Max will always be holding the pistol, even if it ends with a bunch of guns with shotguns barging into the room right ahead of him. Have fun practicing those pistol headshots, you'll have about a second before they unload...

As a result, unlike the original game, where judicious use of bullet time and careful approaches made it possible to progress through the game without being hurt at all, here you're guaranteed to soak damage - it's impossible to avoid being shot when you're stuck in "cover" where all you can do is peek out left or right, and there are five guys with submachine guns and shotguns all shooting at you when you do that. Hope you can get to the next batch of painkillers fast enough. Oh, but not to worry - when you reload from checkpoint, your damage is conveniently reset to zero (on "average" difficulty, at least). So in practice the sole purpose of painkillers is to get you from checkpoint to checkpoint - except that you don't know where the checkpoints are, since there's no indication that you're at one (though any cinematic is guaranteed to have one at the end).

Overall, given that most of the charm of the original game was in the well-executed noir graphic novel style, which seems to be mostly abandoned here (and the remaining elements, poorly done), I don't see much point - the gameplay alone is certainly not enticing.
  22. Aug 11, 2012
    I didn't like the first two Max Paynes, but I loved this one. Great game, and one of the most enjoyable I've played in the last few years. I play several different games a week (play, not complete), and complete a good number of them in a year. I think this is the best Max Payne, and the gunplay was just plain fun to me. Although, I didn't like towards the end of the game where enemies all had bulletproof vests and you have to headshot them for a kill. That's never fun. But throwing your arm around a corner and planting 3 bullets in a guy's chest and watching them drop is great fun. Expand
  23. Jul 23, 2012
    A game that tries to be a movie accompanied with console-port performance and controls while forcing us character story down our throats with a plunger. Nothing more to be said about this one than STAY AWAY. Watch walkthroughs if you want to know how everything plays out as an old fan instead of flushing your money down the sink.
  24. Jun 4, 2012
    Is the shooting fun? Yes. Are the graphics nice? Yes! Do I wish I could play for more than 30 seconds without being interrupted by cutscenes? YES! When I am playing, it is enjoyable, I think, but the action comes in such short bursts between cutscenes I can't get involved in the game. It's a perpetual game of "just the tip," never letting me go too long on my own. The first two Max Payne games perfectly melded gameplay and storytelling, whereas this does so incredibly clunkily. I am taken totally out of the game, and can't enjoy what I think is actually pretty good gameplay. Not to mention the visual "style" of the cutscenes is so blatantly trying to be "cool" it makes me literally nauseous. The saving grace is that the multiplayer is quite robust and enjoyable (and not interrupted by cutscenes!), so I think that's where I'll be spending my $60 worth of time. Expand
  25. Jun 7, 2012
    It's just another generic shooter with the Max Payne name slapped on it to sell copies. Poor sequel to the excellent MP and MP2. Cutscenes and cover, cutscenes and cover. Blah. Skippable.
  26. Jul 8, 2012
    I played the PC version of this game. The graphics are very good for the PC version, but the game is very tedious and boring. The dialog is boring (a group of guys with fake accents), the story is boring (dude meets spoiled rich girl, dude tries to save spoiled rich girl), the shooting mechanics are boring (all weapons sound almost the same and handle the same). Apparently it is possible to kill guys at long range with 1 shotgun blast :(. I first tried medium difficulty and then I lowered the difficulty to easy, muted the volume so I could finish it and toss it in the trash can. I tried single player and multi-player. Both are extremely boring. The fact that cut-scenes cannot be skipped is a joke. They are the most boring part of the game. The game would be more interesting without them. This game is not worth $60, and also not worth $30. There is a good chance that this game will be in the bargain bin in 6 months for $20 with no multi-player community to speak of.

I seems that Rockstar tried to emulate call of duty in 3rd person. I can honestly say that this game gets my vote for the most disappointing game of 2012 so far. I am giving the game a 4 out of 10 simply because of the graphics. The game has nothing else going for it.
  27. Jun 3, 2012
    A+ Single Player (ofcourse free aim)
    with an A grade Multi-Player (free aim as well)

Gorgeous graphically, engaging story and gameplay, wonderful mechanics; and most of all- Does Max Payne franchise JUSTICE and perhaps past nostalgia is the greatest of the series. Must buy. GOTY candidate!
  28. Jun 2, 2012
    An instant classic - the graphics are staggering, and it runs great on both of my PCs (and I really wasn't expecting it to, after seeing the recommended requirements). There's also a flurry of PC only settings and the PC only textures are great. The sound design is good, the monologues are superb, and the gunplay is satisfying and responsive (there were one or two points when it felt a little sluggish, but I reckon it was down to the fact my framerate was jumping around a bit in that scene).

Sure the storyline is essentially 'Man on Fire', sure there are a lot of cutscenes. But I haven't seen 'Man on Fire' before, and I'd much prefer to see it presented in a stylish video game form than a movie. It's an instant classic - and one that I be playing for time to come.

The arcade mode where you rack up points replaying the campaign levels also adds to the replayability, so that's nice too.

Don't buy it if you don't like cutscenes though, you won't like the game ;)
  29. Jan 18, 2013
    Uno de los mejores juegos a los que he jugado últimamente. La historia y estilo narrativo de la misma, engancha desde el primer momento. Si a eso le sumamos el estilo de juego que sigue el patrón de la primera y segunda parte aunque en un entorno muy diferente (Brasil, representado de una manera que te hace sentir verdaderamente allí), obtenemos una tercera parte que está a la altura de la saga y que no defraudara ni a los que jugaron a las anteriores partes, como a los que se sumerjan en el mundo y vida de Max Payne por primera vez. Expand
  30. Dec 27, 2013
    These jerks, you need to have a separate RockStart Account to play the game. I already have a steam account that's enough DRM don't you think? I want my money back.... How about a class action suit.... and new shoes

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]