7.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1931 Ratings

1. Jun 20, 2012
    I bought this game on steam and completed the storyline in less than 13 hours of gameplay. Ridiculously disappointing. The storyline didnt even come close to matching the first or the second game. The controls were also off and very annoying for me at times. Max will sometimes run at regular pace even while aiming which throws me off completely. And instead of using bullet time just aboutI bought this game on steam and completed the storyline in less than 13 hours of gameplay. Ridiculously disappointing. The storyline didnt even come close to matching the first or the second game. The controls were also off and very annoying for me at times. Max will sometimes run at regular pace even while aiming which throws me off completely. And instead of using bullet time just about anytime you want you stick to taking cover over half the time. I have no interest in doing the time attack, new york minute, or multiplayer modes. Definitely not a game that's worth 60 bucks. I bought it because of the old max paynes and this one definitely does nothing to live up to those standards. Expand
  2. Jun 21, 2012
    Nice graphics, nice cutscenes, very good voice-acting, but the shooting somehow lacks and the situations seem artifical and set up. All in all, half-way through, it begins to become boring and veeeery predictable.
  3. Oct 1, 2013
    This game made a big fuss before its release. And after it is released I waited about a month to buy it until I checked the success well, then I bought it. I run the game and I started to play. At first I've found nothing interesting. I said maybe it's just the beginning, the game will improve in the next chapter. so I played for another hour. Still nothing, nothing impressing or new,This game made a big fuss before its release. And after it is released I waited about a month to buy it until I checked the success well, then I bought it. I run the game and I started to play. At first I've found nothing interesting. I said maybe it's just the beginning, the game will improve in the next chapter. so I played for another hour. Still nothing, nothing impressing or new, nothing unique. I finally realised that the whole game is big failure. Rockstar earned large profits from this game due to the older versions, but also lost the confidence of many fans. That's my own opinion, and I totally disagree with the critics. I do not know what really impressed them in this toy. Expand
  4. Jun 15, 2012
    Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene. Max, may i open that door? No, cutscene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutscene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens?Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene. Max, may i open that door? No, cutscene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutscene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens? No, cutscene will look around for you. Expand
  5. Jun 8, 2012
    Just finished playing through MP3 & am a bit miffed. It's an ok third-person shooter but just doesn't have the feel of a Max Payne game.

Epicly-long, unskippable cut-scenes, constant eye-irritating 'effects' & the game deciding to switch out your main weapon for a pistol at every opportunity are some gripes. You will discover others...
  6. Jun 2, 2012
    It's hard to spoil that kind of game - the recipe is simple and all one needs to do for a successful sequel is to follow it to the letter - but Rockstar managed to screw it up just fine. Boring story, boring gameplay, boring dialogue, and no graphic novels. Oh, and shaky camera. How novel! Yawn.

The first thing that comes out it you is a lengthy cinematic. It keeps going, and going, and going... eh? yes, still going. No, you can't skip it. For extra fun, you can't even quit the damn game while it's playing, either - the only button you have is to pause it (thanks for that! no, seriously, after the first 2 minutes of that intro I went and made some tea so I could have something to do while watching the rest of it).

While we're at it, the camera just drives me nuts. I understand that all the shaking and the occasional visual glitch effect is intended to convey the perma-drunken state of the player character, but WTF? I GOT IT ALREADY, NOW STOP IT, MY HEAD HURTS!

Dialogue... they tried real hard to copy the gritty wittiness of the original Max Payne, and failed just as hard. Max goes for irony in every second line he speaks, but it's all pretty stale and shallow, and gets boring very quick. The rest of his talk is mostly bitter complaining about how bad things are and how much worse they're going to be. Again, very repetitive, pointless and annoying. Practically no real essence in those lines, overall.

Whew, now that the cinematic is over, I can haz some slo-mo pistol headshots and stuff? Yup... for about one minute. Then it's another two-minute unskippable cinematic. Then another minute of action... and so it goes. What's worse yet, the whole purpose of those periods of no control seems to place Max in precisely the point where he (you!) will have the hardest time dealing with oncoming waves of enemies. Like, say, kicking the door into the room chock full of bad guys, and running to the most wimpy piece of furniture that can still be used for cover - standing in precisely such a location that enemies running in through any door will get a convenient shot should Max peek out. For extra fun, regardless of which gun you were using when the cinematic started, by the end of it Max will always be holding the pistol, even if it ends with a bunch of guns with shotguns barging into the room right ahead of him. Have fun practicing those pistol headshots, you'll have about a second before they unload...

As a result, unlike the original game, where judicious use of bullet time and careful approaches made it possible to progress through the game without being hurt at all, here you're guaranteed to soak damage - it's impossible to avoid being shot when you're stuck in "cover" where all you can do is peek out left or right, and there are five guys with submachine guns and shotguns all shooting at you when you do that. Hope you can get to the next batch of painkillers fast enough. Oh, but not to worry - when you reload from checkpoint, your damage is conveniently reset to zero (on "average" difficulty, at least). So in practice the sole purpose of painkillers is to get you from checkpoint to checkpoint - except that you don't know where the checkpoints are, since there's no indication that you're at one (though any cinematic is guaranteed to have one at the end).

Overall, given that most of the charm of the original game was in the well-executed noir graphic novel style, which seems to be mostly abandoned here (and the remaining elements, poorly done), I don't see much point - the gameplay alone is certainly not enticing.
  7. Jun 16, 2012
    Very disappointing game play. Too many movies. Overall much worse game than previous MP1,2. Game just isnt fun to play. Not worth the money. Very sory for missed chance.
  8. Jun 21, 2012
    After I finished the game, I tried to play it one more time....
    ...but then....
    ..... I got frustrated like hell..
    because I had to watch the long cutscenes again and again..
    I tried to skip them but I couldnt skip them most of the time
  9. Jun 6, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is essentially Duck Hunt 2012 with swearing and long cut scenes. A good-looking, well-optimized game that follows this basic formula: cut scene, pop-up shooting gallery, cut-scene, follow arrows to pop-up shooting gallery, LOOOOONG cut scene, long shooting gallery, cut scene, end chapter, looooong cut scene of Max drinking and puking. Due to the save point system, for the longMax Payne 3 is essentially Duck Hunt 2012 with swearing and long cut scenes. A good-looking, well-optimized game that follows this basic formula: cut scene, pop-up shooting gallery, cut-scene, follow arrows to pop-up shooting gallery, LOOOOONG cut scene, long shooting gallery, cut scene, end chapter, looooong cut scene of Max drinking and puking. Due to the save point system, for the long shooting galleries you will have to start from square one if you die. And if you are playing on hard, you will die a lot. Still, the game is not really challenging, just frustrating and one-dimensional. I would give it a 6/10, but the game refused to load until an hour later of searching and trying methods from forums I fixed the problem. The exact same thing happened to me with LA Noire as well. Rockstar needs to beta-test their PC games more thoroughly and I need to stop buying new release PC Rockstar games. I would buy this on sale for $20 as a fun, quick way to spend a few hours before you get bored, but at $60 it is a shiny ripoff. Expand
  10. Jun 4, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game, especially after paying $60 for it on Steam. The inability to skip the cut scenes pretty much kills any likelihood of ever replaying any of the campaign. As someone else pointed out, you can't even exit the game while a cut scene is going (which is the majority of your gameplay time). The environments are tiny and the action is highly scripted. Don'tI really wanted to like this game, especially after paying $60 for it on Steam. The inability to skip the cut scenes pretty much kills any likelihood of ever replaying any of the campaign. As someone else pointed out, you can't even exit the game while a cut scene is going (which is the majority of your gameplay time). The environments are tiny and the action is highly scripted. Don't expect to be able to get creative with your tactics here - everything has to go according to script or you'll be doing it over.

The voice acting is fine, but the dialog is campy and never really sells the whole "noir" thing it's going for. I thought the investment they made in getting the character to consistently aim in the specified direction regardless of his position/movement doesn't really pay off. It just makes him seem a bit ridiculous as he contorts himself to keep his weapon pointed where you're aiming even though you're not firing. I hadn't played the previous Max Payne games, so I was intrigued by the bullet time concept. It works OK, but there are too many cases where you have to use it. The cover system doesn't work very well because there's no good way to move from cover to cover. The environments aren't big enough to flank your enemies anyway. The whole "jump dodge" thing looked cool in the previews, but seems a bit ridiculous in actual gameplay since you inevitably end up rolling around on the ground to shoot at the remaining bad guys.

Overall, I regret spending $60 on this game. Since you can really only play through it once, It might be worth $20 if you wait for it to get discounted. Personally, I'll be steering clear of the Max Payne series. I'm much more interested in gameplay mechanics than in storyline. Hopefully Hit Man Absolution will be more compelling in that regard.
  11. Jun 3, 2012
    I wanted a new chapter in the Max Payne story, but all I got is a generic grade B TPS. The Good: As everyone agrees, the graphics, physics and whateverics are great. And that's about it. The Bad: Triggers! Triggers everywhere!!! You open that door - three guys SPAWN behind you. Blam, reload. You kill that last guy - congratulations! Cutscene! Reinforcements arrive, take your women, razeI wanted a new chapter in the Max Payne story, but all I got is a generic grade B TPS. The Good: As everyone agrees, the graphics, physics and whateverics are great. And that's about it. The Bad: Triggers! Triggers everywhere!!! You open that door - three guys SPAWN behind you. Blam, reload. You kill that last guy - congratulations! Cutscene! Reinforcements arrive, take your women, raze your village and fart in your general direction. Ok, cutscene is over - you're in the middle of the room, hidden behind the flimsiest object around. Oh, and you're holding a pistol. Enjoy the epic gunfight. Speaking of cutscenes - there's more than enough of them (unskippable, to boot) to confuse you for the entire game. "Why am I doing that?!", "Errr, shouldn't I be shooting him instead of staring?", "Why am I not moving? Oh, cutscene over, right. Better press something.", "Goodness gracious! Why did I just lock the door behind myself right after I wandered outside in plain view of six mooks?". And if you're still willing to endure all that for the sake of good plot and characters - you don't get either. The plot is largely non-existent and amounts to "Where shall I kill today? Ah, right - in ". The characters around you give you no reason to care about them, they are there just to give you a reason for killing more brazilians. And there's one important aesop - it's ok to heavily drink on the job. No one seems to care, least of all Max himself. You drank two bottles of whiskey? No problem, your aim is steady as always.
    Maybe I'm too hard on the game. But it would've looked SO MUCH BETTER under the name "GTA: Sao Paulo" or, for lack of carjacking, "Brazilian Shooter 3D".
  12. Jun 6, 2012
    As a big fan of the original Max Payne games and Rockstar games in general, I had high hopes for the latest incarnation. The game does live up to some of its promises. Graphics are excellent, supporting DX11 and runs smoothly at full settings on a year old rig. The storyline is well written, although somewhat hackneyed at times.

However, the single player game is fraught with annoyances

However, the single player game is fraught with annoyances which get in the way of the journey. Short gameplay sequences are broken up with long cut scenes, which are almost entirely unskippable. The game claims the game is 'still loading' for the nearly 10 minute scenes between levels. This is despite a save game loading in less than 10 seconds. This is not a problem on the first play through a level, but is a major problem if you are into replaying chapters for collectibles.

The game frequently takes control, or slows you down just to open a door, in places that could easily have been played out in real time. To make matters worse, the game often will take control and move you through a door (while locks behind you inexplicably) before you have had time to search the level for hidden collectibles. In one sequence that comes to mind, the game makes you walk slowly though an area which has no enemies, yet there is no reason why you can't run.

Often after a short cut-scene, you will be placed in a compromised position facing multiple enemies. The game also has a habit of switching your main rifle or shotgun to a sidearm at the same time to make life more awkward at the same time. Max also seems to have forgotten how to sling a shoulder weapon, as he must drop any large weapons to dual wield his sidearms. While this may be a tip to realism (nobody in Max Payne 3 can't afford a $5 sling it seems), it removes the old ability of being able to choose a weapon at will that was present in the original titles.

For a game which has so many cutscenes, it often will provide a sidekick nearby which /*constantly*/ will be telling you to get a move on. Often they will run off and get killed while you search for clues or gun parts.

To make matters worse, i have twice now been forced to replay sections because the game has mysteriously forgotton the progress I had made in the game. I believe this is because I 'continued' a previous game by using 'chapter select' to replay the chapter before the one I was on and just playing on. Be warned, if you do this the game will not unlock chapters properly. Make sure you finish the entire game before replaying any chapters.

Overall, the graphics are good, and gameplay is often well done, but the game seems intent on constantly reminding you that it is in control and it will make you play the game how it wants, not how you want. Giving you more control would have made this a 7, but the game provides just too many frustrations. The Rockstar QA team must have gone on holiday for this release...
  13. Jun 1, 2012
    The problem with Max Payne 3 is, that it is not Max Payne. Cover: Max Payne doesn't need cover. The bullet time IS his cover. Taking cover is also way more effective than bullet time due to the narrow environments. Effects: the Kane & Lynch aesthetic is terribly distracting. Controls: clunky and unresponsive. Graphics: ok, but nothing special, the animations are awful especially inThe problem with Max Payne 3 is, that it is not Max Payne. Cover: Max Payne doesn't need cover. The bullet time IS his cover. Taking cover is also way more effective than bullet time due to the narrow environments. Effects: the Kane & Lynch aesthetic is terribly distracting. Controls: clunky and unresponsive. Graphics: ok, but nothing special, the animations are awful especially in multiplayer. The 16 player matches are a clusterf* because of bad player spawn placement. Expand
  14. Jun 4, 2012
    Is the shooting fun? Yes. Are the graphics nice? Yes! Do I wish I could play for more than 30 seconds without being interrupted by cutscenes? YES! When I am playing, it is enjoyable, I think, but the action comes in such short bursts between cutscenes I can't get involved in the game. It's a perpetual game of "just the tip," never letting me go too long on my own. The first two Max PayneIs the shooting fun? Yes. Are the graphics nice? Yes! Do I wish I could play for more than 30 seconds without being interrupted by cutscenes? YES! When I am playing, it is enjoyable, I think, but the action comes in such short bursts between cutscenes I can't get involved in the game. It's a perpetual game of "just the tip," never letting me go too long on my own. The first two Max Payne games perfectly melded gameplay and storytelling, whereas this does so incredibly clunkily. I am taken totally out of the game, and can't enjoy what I think is actually pretty good gameplay. Not to mention the visual "style" of the cutscenes is so blatantly trying to be "cool" it makes me literally nauseous. The saving grace is that the multiplayer is quite robust and enjoyable (and not interrupted by cutscenes!), so I think that's where I'll be spending my $60 worth of time. Expand
  15. Jun 6, 2012
    Things I've forgot to mention - a lot of times you will be placed in the middle of firefight behind the cover which only protect you from enemies in front of you, while other enemies will come at you from everywhere.
    Also, that stupid "kill the guy who shot you" camera is useless most of the times - the enemy is behind the cover or you out of ammo. Whats even worse - you can't load from the last checkpoint during this moments. So you have to sit through all of this, then get the chance to load the game.
    The game has no straight rhythm - you will be constantly slowed down by unskippable cutscene. Sometimes you're in the berserk mode after good action, you killed all the enemies and want to kill more, you rush into another room and... cutscene. What the hell?!
    Oh, and that stupid video effects! All this shaky camera, light flashes, double vision, words coming out on the screen - it may be appropriate in the beginning of the game, but NOT all the time! Also, I don't remember getting hit this much, or having to restart the checkpoint in original Max Payne.
    One more thing - no grenades! Enemies has them, but you don't. And I don't see any excuse for this. Why, Rockstar, why?
    Two years of disappointment - first Duke Nukem, and now this. I wonder how Hitman will turn out? But I'm almost convinced now that it's going to be bad. It's a trend.
  16. Jun 8, 2012
    As a fan of the series I couldn't wait to get my hands on this beast, but I was soon frustrated by a couple of things: The limited control over the main character and unskippable cutscenes for example take away a lot of freedom from the player. The only way to exit a cutscene is to ALT+F4 out of it, because you can only pause and continue. Whilst the gameplay itself didn't lose charm theAs a fan of the series I couldn't wait to get my hands on this beast, but I was soon frustrated by a couple of things: The limited control over the main character and unskippable cutscenes for example take away a lot of freedom from the player. The only way to exit a cutscene is to ALT+F4 out of it, because you can only pause and continue. Whilst the gameplay itself didn't lose charm the levels are small and the fights are heavily scripted. The cover system causes problems because it doesn't always work. If you don't mind a heavy consolized game and like playing with controllers instead of keyboards you might want to get it for PC, else wait for a Steam deal. Expand
  17. Jun 2, 2012
    I'll preface this review by saying I only care for single player gaming, so I've not tried the multiplayer and I don't care if that is supposed to be a game's redeeming feature. I'm all about the single player experience.

And on that score, I'm disappointed by Max Payne 3. As a product, it's bloated (4 DVDs? Really?), wrapped up in far too much DRM and requirements to jump through hoops -

And on that score, I'm disappointed by Max Payne 3.
    As a product, it's bloated (4 DVDs? Really?), wrapped up in far too much DRM and requirements to jump through hoops - why do I have to click through page after page of EULA? Why do I have to sign up to idiotic ideas like the "social club" when all I'm interested in is the single player game? As for game play - Why is it so full of bugs? funny freezes/pauses, poor controls, un-skippable and over-acted cut-scenes that appear all too often and are concealing really really appalling load times do not a pleasant gaming experience make, Rockstar.

Once you look past that, you will get to experience an average shooter, that's quite nice looking and a bit too much tied to rails for my liking. There are some nice touches, like the player only being able to carry a few guns and having to drop some if you want to do things like dual-wield guns - this is both handled nicely and realistically and brings a touch of thought to how you play the game.

But... I'm not sure it's actually a Max Payne game. Sure, someone's stuck the name "Max Payne" onto the player's character, and its clearly the Max Payne character's voice in the cut scenes, but the actual game doesn't *feel* like Max Payne to me.

I loved the first two Max Payne games so I really wanted to love this too, but I can't. If it was presented as a first person shooter in its own right instead of claiming the Max Payne heritage and getting it wrong then I might be happier to accept the game on its own terms - and for all the faults there is an average FPS with good graphics here.
  18. Jun 2, 2012
    First of i have to say I have not tried the multi-player, I'm a single player kind of person, and in that I found the game play massively annoying, yes the game looks good, yes the environments are well done, yes the animations are brilliant and the story is deep, although the "I feel sorry for myself" drunk routine gets tedious. And I can even forgive the obvious console port issues. ButFirst of i have to say I have not tried the multi-player, I'm a single player kind of person, and in that I found the game play massively annoying, yes the game looks good, yes the environments are well done, yes the animations are brilliant and the story is deep, although the "I feel sorry for myself" drunk routine gets tedious. And I can even forgive the obvious console port issues. But the constant cut scenes totaly mess up the game play. The game constantly takes control away from you and forces you into a situation you would not normally jump into. For example, up ahead is a room full of guys trying to kill you, as you approach, the game goes to a cut scene, pushes you into the center of the room, and then "over to you", lucky on 3 screens you notice the transition back to you, otherwise your dead before you know it and you "oh was i back in control again". But seriously how many gamers run into the center of a room, and wait for people to start shooting before they start shooting back. And for good measure after every cut scene Max's weapon always goes back to the handgun, never mind if it actually has ammo or in most cases not, or if you already holding an epic auto shotgun. Once or twice I could forgive where it helps the story along, but literally every 10 to 15 minutes, bang cut scene, your not in control anymore. I so wanted to finish the game and explore the story. But I play games to enjoy them, not to feel irritated and frustrated by them. Expand
  19. Jun 6, 2012
    There are so many cutscenes that the game feels more like a movie. The game takes control away from you throughout the entire game. You get about 3 minutes of playtime and then another cutscene. In addition, the plot is terrible. Its another "damsel in distress" but you dont care about the people you are trying to save at all. In fact, they seem to do their best to make you NOT like theseThere are so many cutscenes that the game feels more like a movie. The game takes control away from you throughout the entire game. You get about 3 minutes of playtime and then another cutscene. In addition, the plot is terrible. Its another "damsel in distress" but you dont care about the people you are trying to save at all. In fact, they seem to do their best to make you NOT like these people. The cheesy camera effects were really annoying and the combat system is clunky and doesnt feel right. The cover system is pretty bad - it feels a lot like the shooting from L.A Noire. Basically, theres not much variance in the gameplay AT ALL. All there is to do is shoot guys the same exact way except in a different setting with tons of cutscenes in between. There just isnt ever anything different. Its insane how many cutscenes there are. Expand
  20. Jun 7, 2012
    A big expensive movie with sometimes a couple of fights.
    Impossible to save your progression as wished or as needed, it's btw a console game.
    Max dies every 30 seconds, nearly impossible to accurately aim, even with laser help.
    This game is exhausting and upset me. When you just start to feal immersed, a cut scene ruins the experience.
    50 â
  21. Jun 2, 2012
    Best game out in the last six months of 2012. Amazing gameplay, nice graphics, unique optimization, not bad multiplayer. This game everyone should to try! Good job Rockstar.
  22. Jun 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very big, im guessing they thought that would make up for how awful it is, but all it does is make it boring all the way through.... I have 200+ steam games and many other big name games. There are only a select few I dont beat, those titles are ussually indie games, but max payne is among them. Max Payne 3 has Horrible characters, bad ideas, generic weapons, numerous eye flashing rave party cutscenes and a giant language barrier. Stop flashing unimportant words all throughtout cutscenes I get it he said "I'll have a drink" I dont need it shooting thru the scene. This just screams bad designers filling space for their crappy little cutscene effect. You'd think this game was made for spain or mexico, you won't enjoy a second of it if you dont speak spanish. Even multiplayer ranks are all in spanish... this is cool why? sorry but I dont understand a $%*ing word and therfore have 0 interest in multiplayer now. can't wait to rank up so I can google what my next rank will be. Max payne kills THOUSANDS of innocent people and doesnt even figure out who hes killing? He walks away from 50 gun fights killing fully body armored guys and everyone treats him like **** in the scene? This game feels like duke nukem, overhyped, linear, limited weapons, semi destructable objects and a D bag main character who says random quirky 1 liners over and over. This is a console port, the gun select is AWFUL. good luck pulling out that gun you just grabbed in less than 5 seconds, heres a hint you wont be able to. Max payne the D bag who kills everyone for fun WOO! I was drunk I didn't know what was going on so I killed everyone.... huh? Yea I won't be letting you finish your story Max, You giant cry baby, I mix painkillers and alcohol, I destroy my liver!! But my trusty sidekick says "You can always get a new one" like its not a big deal. Trust me, it is a big deal. If he really drank and took that many painkillers he would be dead by now. You don't get a new liver if you drink, they take you off the donor list. Expand
  23. Jun 3, 2012
    You cannot skip cut scenes. I started on the hardest available setting and died almost instantly. I went to restart and I had to watch the whole thing again. Every 5 minutes you get a new cutscene. It is not a game, its a film. The trouble is, if I wanted a film, id buy a film. This is not a game, therefor it cannot be reviewed as one.
  24. Jun 1, 2012
    Listen Closely, (actually read carefully).

IF Anyone, gives a game a 10 this is suspect, add to this the PC gameplay was pulled off Youtube Prior to launch. The game (single player is do able in a single sitting). Unless you love multiplayer, there appears to be little replayability. I recommend letting them fix some of the PC centric issues prior to you $59.00 US, plus 25$
    Listen Closely, (actually read carefully).

I recommend letting them fix some of the PC centric issues prior to you $59.00 US, plus 25$ something for a DISCOUNT on the upcoming DLC..

buyer be aware.
  25. Jun 2, 2012
    Really Rockstar? Let's cut through the chase. Why are video game sales down so much? This game is a shining example of the problems with the video game industry in every way. (1) LONG LOADING TIMES. Who wants to sit through endless dialogs which are predictable and campy at best (ok, some of the campiness is expected, after all, it's Max Payne) ... When first starting the game you mightReally Rockstar? Let's cut through the chase. Why are video game sales down so much? This game is a shining example of the problems with the video game industry in every way. (1) LONG LOADING TIMES. Who wants to sit through endless dialogs which are predictable and campy at best (ok, some of the campiness is expected, after all, it's Max Payne) ... When first starting the game you might be lucky to actually start playing the da** game a half hour later, I kid you not! There is no way to skip the cut-scenes! Unacceptable in every way.

(2) FORCING USERS TO CREATE AN ONLINE ACCOUNT. This fact alone has done me in, I'm sick and tired of every game publisher deciding (mostly through greed) to force purchasers of a game to create an online account. Are you kidding me? Twitter integration, and randomly forcing that down our throats at start up too? Has the game industry gone completely insane? Do you really think a game player wants all of this bs? Most people who want to play a game do it for relaxation and FUN. Hello, MCFly are you listening? Why do you think the casual game market is crushing large productions? Who the he** wants to wads through screen after screen of pure bs before even being able to play? When I want to play a game, I'd like to be able to start playing it before the sun has to come back up again! (3) Doesn't support a modern computer. I have a pro mac 17" top-of-line laster year laptop running bootcamp. I can play diabolo 3, Skyrim and everything else JUST FINE. This da** game, does not run in anything other than 1024x768, and then it doesn't even work. The graphics card I have is a 512meg Radeon HD 6750M I believe. All I have to say to Rock Star is ... I can't type what I want to! Ridiculous is an understatement. I'm done with the pinball joke of the heavy-weight productions titles of the video game industry. Really, goodbye Rockstar, EA and you other jokes of a company who worry more about keeping yourself employed and making a profit instead of thinking about THE USER EXPERIENCE.

off to all of them!
  26. Jun 1, 2012
    Absolutely superb game. beautifully optimised for PC with loads of lovely DX11 goodness added. Wonderful looking game and every bit the Max Payne I wanted it to be. If you liked the first two you must get this.
  27. Jun 9, 2012
    This is a re-review. My last review I have it a 0 because it would not work due to Social Club malfunctioning. Great story, narration, cinematic feel, solid gameplay, excellent optimization for PC. 15 hour story. Works well with 360 controller or M/KB. Rockstar Social Club is potentially annoying when it doesn't work. As others have mentioned, the cover system can be a bit annoying butThis is a re-review. My last review I have it a 0 because it would not work due to Social Club malfunctioning. Great story, narration, cinematic feel, solid gameplay, excellent optimization for PC. 15 hour story. Works well with 360 controller or M/KB. Rockstar Social Club is potentially annoying when it doesn't work. As others have mentioned, the cover system can be a bit annoying but it's not a big deal and it still works well. I crashed maybe 6-7 times. There is a little bit of static in the audio, which annoyed me after a while. The multiplayer is a bit generic but still fun. Overall I must say this game is fantastic, it's just a shame it gave me so many problems. Expand
  28. Jun 1, 2012
    Signed up to metacritic just to be able to write a reveiw for this fantastic game, the performance is absolutly perfect, was worried about performance issues since rockstar have a bad history with pc ports etc happy to report that this game runs perfectly!! im so so happy.
    Not only does it run perfectly but the controls are superb, this game has me looking forward to GTA 5 in a big way now.
    Can easily see myself playing through this game a number of times its just that damn good, multiplayer is fantastic and will keep me playing for years to come, cant stress enough to anyone out there who is in two minds about getting this game dont be!! u wont be disapointed, not only is it a fantastic game but it also sets the standard for future thrid person games. Rockstar im **** loving you right now.... good job !!!!!
  29. Jun 4, 2012
    Primitive graphics, stupid AI, scripts-scripts-scripts...this is dumb console trash. Not my favor good old Max Payne. Rockstar kill the great saga and morfe it into the ordinary pop-action.
  30. Jun 1, 2012
    I am really loving the game so far, i'm only 1 and a half hours in, and it runs pretty nice on my system, not at max, but nice. The only thing that pretty much ruins a lot of the experience for me right now, are the effects for the use of alcohol and painkillers given in the the cut scenes, even though the cut scenes don't bother me at all, i think they are a valuable asset to the game soI am really loving the game so far, i'm only 1 and a half hours in, and it runs pretty nice on my system, not at max, but nice. The only thing that pretty much ruins a lot of the experience for me right now, are the effects for the use of alcohol and painkillers given in the the cut scenes, even though the cut scenes don't bother me at all, i think they are a valuable asset to the game so far, and i really enjoy the game right now. (I've actually pressed alt+tab to write this message XD ) It's only just these effects that, tire my eyes. could someone please make an on / off option for that ? I would really appreciate that very much ! Expand
  31. Jun 1, 2012
    I've played about 5 hours worth at this point, and here's my initial impression:

PROS: Visually, it's a very pretty game. The physics are good, the killcams are sweet, and the graphics are amazing. That's it. CONS: I'd just like to start by saying that I'm a HUGE fan of the Max Payne series. It might actually be my favorite. So, I REALLY had my hopes up for this one. Maybe this is a

PROS:

That's it.

CONS:

Maybe this is a personal problem on my end, but I was under the impression that I bought a GAME, not a damned MOVIE. Having a cut scene after every minor firefight isn't fun, it just slows down the pace of the game. Making most of them un-skippable is just torture. This is made even worse by the fact that every out-of-game cut scene is rendered at lower quality than the game itself.

On that note, my initial impressions that I made 2 years ago when I saw the first screenshots were correct: This is not Max Payne. This is **** Man on Fire. Which would be fine, a Man on Fire game sounds fun. Except this game is not called Man on Fire. It's **** Max Payne 3. Having every cut scene look like a segment from a Tony Scott film is NOT **** noir. Also, I'm not deaf, I don't need random subtitles flying at me every 10 seconds for two words of unimportant dialogue.

The controls on PC are a horrible mess, because this is an obvious console port. A **** flywheel for weapon selection? Are you serious? A flywheel that doesn't even WORK half the time? Max also changes the camera position randomly, bullet-dives into random objects far too often, goes prone for no damned reason when I press crouch... ugh. Add mouse accel into the mix, and it's just God damned unplayable.

I'm taking a break and coming at it again tomorrow. I'm only up the the part where Rockstar decided they wanted to try and make a Splinter Cell game, so maybe it's just that the beginning isn't that good. But my hopes have been thoroughly crushed.

Remedy, I miss you. Come back, please.
  32. Jun 1, 2012
    Outstandingly good PC implementation. DX11 and multi-monitor (widescreen) support is great. Runs well and looks awesome. Really enjoying the storyline and gameplay. This is a good day for PC gaming, congratulations Rockstar for delivering a game worthy for the PC platform!
  33. Jun 1, 2012
    First of all, to the person complaining that they thought they bought a "game and not a movie" you are a burger. Plain and simple you are a burger. This game is amazing I cannot remember the last time I put a game on and was just like holy freaking **** The graphics are outstanding, the voice quality could use a little work but besides for that this game is perfect.

The bullet time works

The bullet time works great, the melee is freaking awesome , when you shoot someone in this game you feel as if you actually shot someone.
  34. Jun 1, 2012
    played on PC too this .. game .. its running fine on the PC version too ... Else everything is as same as with me at PS3 ... Tried to play in it as R* is bit weak on PC ........ Its fine
  35. Jun 1, 2012
    Max Payne is always been one of my most favourite franchises and this sequel is the best of the picking, with slick visuals, great shootouts and SLOW MOTION. You will have a lot of fun and with absence of loading screens it brings a breath of fresh air to cinematic games. With about 12 hours single player and a ton of replayability as well as two arcade type modes you won't get bored onMax Payne is always been one of my most favourite franchises and this sequel is the best of the picking, with slick visuals, great shootouts and SLOW MOTION. You will have a lot of fun and with absence of loading screens it brings a breath of fresh air to cinematic games. With about 12 hours single player and a ton of replayability as well as two arcade type modes you won't get bored on your own. If you do then you have multi-player which is amazingly fun and challenging. There is not regenerative health in the single player and it is hard so if you are expecting a call of duty, look elsewhere. Expand
  36. Jun 1, 2012
    I am rather confused with this title as I thought I bought a game and not a movie? When I get to play the game its good but its truely annoying when you sit watching cutscenes which never end and suddenly transition into the typical Max Payne jump, and you go oh gosh I am supposed to play now.
  37. Jun 1, 2012
    Pure epicness! Can't believe that Rockstar did such a good jon with the PC version of this! It's incredibly well optimization PLEASE GO BUY IT NOW! Its Too Amazing!
  38. Jun 1, 2012
    Max Payne 1 and 2 were linear - completely linear. Mission one came before mission two and there were not that many routes in each mission. At a tactical level (how to clear a room) there is LOTS of choice - but like all the other MP games - it's linear. Controls are excellent, graphics are not up to much (cartoony - maybe a fraction better than Red Dead Redemption on the PS3 - but the PS3Max Payne 1 and 2 were linear - completely linear. Mission one came before mission two and there were not that many routes in each mission. At a tactical level (how to clear a room) there is LOTS of choice - but like all the other MP games - it's linear. Controls are excellent, graphics are not up to much (cartoony - maybe a fraction better than Red Dead Redemption on the PS3 - but the PS3 is a 6 year old system using graphics hardware from the mid 2000's. Butr that's the end of my probelms. The game play very well indeed. The cut scenes are often but most ore not that long - but like I said at the top - this is the same as all the other MP games. This is MP3 NOT GTA Brazil. If it's standard Rockstar game mechanics you are after you might me a little dissapointed. Me? I love it Expand
  39. Mar 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The single player campaign wow'd me originally, mainly because of the graphics but as the game went on it because more a nuisance because you die so many times even on normal... there's no content after you beat the single player besides 'arcade mode' which is basically trying to compete with nobody since the score is so ridiculously high... well that sucks.

The multiplayer is so dumb because everyone starts out with ridiculously better weapons than you since they've been playing since release or something, and the melee feature is so overpowered and annoying that's one of the main reasons the multiplayer isn't fun for me.
  40. Jan 5, 2013
    First, let's talk about the good, because there is actually quite a lot of good in this game. For one thing, the surroundings look absolutely gorgeous. The character models are done really well, too. It's like you're looking at a film... and that's the game greatest weakness: it's treated like a film. It's been mentioned before, but the amount and length of cut scenes is truly bizarre.First, let's talk about the good, because there is actually quite a lot of good in this game. For one thing, the surroundings look absolutely gorgeous. The character models are done really well, too. It's like you're looking at a film... and that's the game greatest weakness: it's treated like a film. It's been mentioned before, but the amount and length of cut scenes is truly bizarre. Come on, Half Life 1, which is rapidly reaching the 15 year mark, did storytelling better. But even with all those cut scenes, and with having to replay certain parts over and over, the game is remarkably short. That's the second gripe.

But it doesn't end there, unfortunately. Whilst the character models are great, animation is sometimes wooden. For some things, it's obvious that motion capture has been used, which makes the non-motion capture animation stand out even more. And the facial animation is possibly worse. There doesn't really seem to be any, despite what's claimed in the credits. It's like everybody has a bad case of botox or Parkinson's disease.

The game play is generally good, but there are some really obnoxious elements, especially when your health reaches 0. In that case, you use a painkiller, and you automatically go into some sort of slow-motion and aim at the one who shot you. But what if your need to reload at exactly that moment? Yup: you die, but it takes easily five seconds of slow motion where you already the outcome, and you can't skip it or restart from a checkpoint during that period.

Worse: Max automatically takes the #1 slot weapon, so if you have a pistol and an assault rifle, you have to change back to your rifle every time you need to replay a certain scene. And there are quite a few of those instances. That is, if Max hasn't decided to ditch that assault rifle in between two scenes for absolutely no reason.

Finally, I don't really care about Max' problems. Maybe some characters like Gordon Freeman don't talk enough, but Max just won't shut up, Yes, we all know that he drinks too much and uses too many painkillers, but does he really have to say so every second time he picks up pills? Not to mention, all the clichés that have been beaten to death.

What's left is a game, for want of a better word, that looks absolutely fantastic, but leaves you feeling empty. You end up not caring for any of the characters, including Max, and once you strip the gloss (and those incessant cut scenes), there's very little left.
  41. Feb 13, 2013
    The graphics look good, the voice acting was good and the story was decent although I was only able to stomach about 75% of the game before I stopped playing, so I can't comment about the ending. While the first 10 interactive shooting scenes were fun, there was nothing to break up the monotony except for the endless movie cut-scenes or the hunt for the silly golden guns. TheThe graphics look good, the voice acting was good and the story was decent although I was only able to stomach about 75% of the game before I stopped playing, so I can't comment about the ending. While the first 10 interactive shooting scenes were fun, there was nothing to break up the monotony except for the endless movie cut-scenes or the hunt for the silly golden guns. The slow-motion effects got so nauseatingly repetitious that I uninstalled the game. Since the game is tightly woven with the story I'll forgive the single-threaded nature of the game but the boring game-play killed it for me. Expand
  42. Mar 14, 2013
    I've read some reviews before I bought the game, and they all said it was a good port, that Rockstar made a good job... well, I disagree. How can you call it a good port when you have to hit Enter, which is located away from both hands in an action game with mouse aiming, to do a lot of things? That's the worst choice, really. There are a lot of cutscenes, I mean, really... A LOT. WhenI've read some reviews before I bought the game, and they all said it was a good port, that Rockstar made a good job... well, I disagree. How can you call it a good port when you have to hit Enter, which is located away from both hands in an action game with mouse aiming, to do a lot of things? That's the worst choice, really. There are a lot of cutscenes, I mean, really... A LOT. When they say you spend most of your time watching things happen than playing, they are not kidding. But that's ok, no big deal, it's a way to tell the story... but what makes me really mad about it is that they placed some checkpoints BEFORE some cutscenes. Not long cutscenes, but when you watch the same damn thing 10 times, you get pretty upset. I mentioned the story, which was absolutely great in the first game. This one? What a joke. Max adventures in Brazil are very cliché, and since I'm actually from Brazil, it bothers me even more that it's all wrong. Galatians F. C.? What the If you can't put the team's name for licensing issues, please come up with some name in Portuguese, not a generic american soccer team name. Gameplay is frustrating in the beginning, it took me like 2 hours to really get used to it. After you learn how to deal with the AI and the mechanics, it's not bad at all, kinda funny the bullet time, jumping slow-mo, kill cams, etc. The graphics are good (for a console port anyway). But honestly, I expected much more from this game. Oh, I almost forgot! I bought it on Steam, but to actually play it, I had to create a Rockstar Social Club account and login into it every time. Expand
  43. Nov 14, 2012
    This is an awesome game none stop action, story is great, game time not too bad all in all a great Max Payne game for the franchise. I give it a 9.5
  44. Apr 27, 2013
    While I enjoyed the experience the main problem was the aiming system and the re-appearance of things I had just blew up 5 seconds ago. The game play is sluggish compared other 3rd person shooters and they failed to keep it up with the other max payne games. The whole bodyguard thing doesnt suit the persona of the guy from the original 1 and 2 games too. Feels more like a marketing guysWhile I enjoyed the experience the main problem was the aiming system and the re-appearance of things I had just blew up 5 seconds ago. The game play is sluggish compared other 3rd person shooters and they failed to keep it up with the other max payne games. The whole bodyguard thing doesnt suit the persona of the guy from the original 1 and 2 games too. Feels more like a marketing guys idea because Spec: Ops The Line came out. Expand
  45. Jul 30, 2013
    A huge disappointment to me. Has nothing to do with Max Payne 1 or 2, which are both way better third person shooters, with much better atmosphere and gameplay. This game however sometimes felt more like an interactive movie than an actual videogame. If I wanted to watch an action movie, I will watch one on TV. If I want to play videogames, please let me play. This "game" simply does notA huge disappointment to me. Has nothing to do with Max Payne 1 or 2, which are both way better third person shooters, with much better atmosphere and gameplay. This game however sometimes felt more like an interactive movie than an actual videogame. If I wanted to watch an action movie, I will watch one on TV. If I want to play videogames, please let me play. This "game" simply does not let you do that. In some situations you watch a three-minute cutscene, are handed over controls for less than two minutes, and then watch another two to three minute cutscene. Also, I found the difficulty level of this game to be totally unbalanced (ridiculously easy in some parts, very frustrating in others). Somehow not what I had expected. A decent game as it stands for itself, but no match whatsoever for the first two Max Payne games. Expand
  46. Aug 4, 2013
    There's no denying that the core gameplay is solid and the game plays fun and fluid, for the most part. The problem is that the atmosphere and story was a big part of what made people love the original Max Payne, and it's just not there in this game, I'm sorry to say. The constant cutscenes are also annoying, especially when you have to sit through a story that to my estimation doesn'tThere's no denying that the core gameplay is solid and the game plays fun and fluid, for the most part. The problem is that the atmosphere and story was a big part of what made people love the original Max Payne, and it's just not there in this game, I'm sorry to say. The constant cutscenes are also annoying, especially when you have to sit through a story that to my estimation doesn't even attempt to capture any of what made the story of the original game in the series compelling. Expand
  47. Mar 31, 2014
    Fairly good as a game, greatly disappointing as Max Payne. Stripped out of comic story telling and chronology. Instead we have inhumanely long and boring cutscenes, achievements and collectibles.
    This leads to situations like this: the person you're protecting from tens of enemies says "Come on Max, they'll be more here in a minute!" and you're like "Ok ok, hang on a minute, there might be a gun part in between these flower pots".
    Immensely annoying swapping weapons to your hand gun after EVERY FREAKING cutscene.
    The story is of a different kind. It doesn't feel like you're playing Max Payne at all.
    The constant screen flickering, decomposing and jittering is unnecessary and sometimes irritating too.
    Took me 9 hours on 'casual' and I absolutely suck at shooters.
  48. Mar 22, 2014
    I bought this game on the strength of the last games, and I have to say i'm disappointed with the third.

Pros: Great Graphics : Sometimes the dialogue can be entertaining cons: Have you seen how many pros there are! : Story line was predictable and basic, it must have taken them 5min to write : mechanics were a joke! You think that when a big game company like Rock star makes

Pros: Great Graphics
    : Sometimes the dialogue can be entertaining

cons: Have you seen how many pros there are!
    : Story line was predictable and basic, it must have taken them 5min to write
    : mechanics were a joke!

You think that when a big game company like Rock star makes a game (which is basically on rails, i.e go to this room then this room then down this corridor) they would have put more effort in on the story, and the game-play, but they never.

One of the most irritating points in the game, was whenever it went to a cut-scene, (which in total must be the length of a feature length movie) it swapped my current weapon for the pistol, so while ive been collecting bullets for my assault rifle like a stupid idiot, Max decides to forget all that hard work and instead equip my basic pistol when faced with an army of bad guys! why!!!!

They also added some disorientation to nearly every frame of the game which just got annoying towards the end.

Only buy in a steam sale.
  49. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was broken up a bit too much by cut scenes, but other than that, I thought this game was fun, had a great story, was immersive and had a lot of violence. I feel it should also be noted that this game, while not the most artistically impressive graphics, looks amazing thanks to a very very strong engine. Great physics, bullet wounds, gun mechanics makes this game look great andThis game was broken up a bit too much by cut scenes, but other than that, I thought this game was fun, had a great story, was immersive and had a lot of violence. I feel it should also be noted that this game, while not the most artistically impressive graphics, looks amazing thanks to a very very strong engine. Great physics, bullet wounds, gun mechanics makes this game look great and make you feel like a real badass, especially in slow motion. This game is also challenging, thanks to not having regenerating health. Expand
  50. Aug 27, 2012
    At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game,At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game, it'll take you for one hell of a ride. Expand
  51. Apr 18, 2014
    Been a big fan of the first 2 Max Payne games so when this went out I was excited... until the mixed reviews came out and decided to wait for a Steam sale. It came and got this for for $5.

Holy **** It's far from the original and 'far' as downwards kind of 'far'. I don't know what Rockstar was thinking but Max has been turned into an gun-crazy GTA-style idiot. He always goes for the crazy idiot gunfight approach. The bad guy is in a police station? Charge into the police station with guns in open armpit holsters in broad daylight through the front **** door! Trying to hide from the bad police guys? Run to the bus station and shoot everyone that follows! Trying to find the gang leader? Charge into their town with guns hanging from your holsters and start shooting everyone! The bad guy is in the airport? Charge through the front door and shoot everyone! Why not just go for a sniper rifle and wait for the bad guy to be less protected? No because that is gay! It feels so Grand Theft Auto bombastic testosterone crazy! Always goes for the stupidest cover! Kick down the door into a room full of bad guys and he goes for what? The metal trash can? The corner wall? The ledge? No! He goes for the **** standing suitcase as cover! Always goes for the flimsiest cover all the time! He tries to sneak in cinematics but always gets the enemies to see him and start attacking! **** STUPID! Also no dark brooding environments! The only thing this game has that is impressive is the dialog Max Payne makes when talking to the himself! All the other characters are stupid and behave like morons! What a shameless game! If you like stupid shooters super devoid of common sense this is for you!
  52. Sep 27, 2012
    Well yes this game has too much and long cutscenes but it is impressive how smooth the cutscenes and gameplay are.This game takes 10 hours to complete and i had to say this game is LONG compared to other games like cod battlefield and co. The noir style which i loved in the first games has disappeared ...very sad. But like i said this game is solid so BUY IT.
  53. Nov 13, 2012
    Wow, kudos to Rockstar. Seriously, It's like you had Croteam advise you on how to resurrect a franchise. I was a big fan of the original Max Payne's nail biting, "did I use too many painkillers?", get the first shot game play, and that is exactly what Rockstar gave me. This game is well optimized for the PC, and looks and feels great. I cracked into the old MPs like a week or twoWow, kudos to Rockstar. Seriously, It's like you had Croteam advise you on how to resurrect a franchise. I was a big fan of the original Max Payne's nail biting, "did I use too many painkillers?", get the first shot game play, and that is exactly what Rockstar gave me. This game is well optimized for the PC, and looks and feels great. I cracked into the old MPs like a week or two before this came out, and the game play transition from playing old to new felt natural, which is a great sign. This game might have garnered a perfect score from me were it not for minor things, like inability to control the flow of cut scenes, some excessive load times and the sometimes frustrating nature of Rockstar social club's utility. These can all be corrected with a single patch, however, that I have seen. Those people giving this game a 0 solely based on the cut scene annoyance really need to stop and separate their anger from reality before they review something. Sure, it's a glaring flaw, but it's not game-breaking. Game play is solid, story is still total Max Payne, graphics and features are tight, added multi-player is a blast....where are these scads of 3PS's that in their eyes were done better? That is in fact Rhetoric.....because they don't exist. We could use a patch or two, but still, great job Rockstar, and I highly recommend this game to any old fan of Max Payne, or anybody who really likes a challenging third person shooter. (It's also one of the harder shooters to come out lately) MAX PAYNE IS BACK!! Expand
  54. Nov 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is essentially a series of cutscenes with some player interaction in between, not the other way around. In one part for example, you leave a cutscene, walk about 20 metres very slowly with nothing happening around you and enter another cutscene. Why even bother. Why not just make the whole game a cutscene and be done with it. Too often, the cutscenes end with no real signs that you have control and you watch yourself die in various ways before thinking "Oh. I had control there did I?".

The combat is good, but its not Max Payne, more generic cover based 3rd person combat (think GTA4) but with slow motion button. Shootdodge is generally suicide due to the open environments of the game. The crosshair is very small, as in the previous games. The difference is the cross hair doesnt show when you're in cover, so when you jump up to shoot, you have to wait for it to appear.

The game also has a tendency to choose the wrong camera angle for the corner at hand so the enemy can see you before you see them. This can be rectified but requires going into cover at various angles to get it to change. If you activate slow motion, the enemies start shooting before you even leave cover. Literally as soon as you toggle slow motion, they start shooting. If you have an assault rifle out and enter a cutscene, you will probably leave the cutscene with that pistol you have with no ammo and you probably "dropped" the assault rifle somewhere as you no longer have it. If you're in good cover during a cutscene, you can be sure that Max will run out into the middle of the enemies before giving you back control and allowing you to run straight back to the cover you were just in.

Moving on to the story, its just frustrating. The game makes all the important decisions for you, and in almost every case Max just does something absolutely stupid. For example, running out from good cover into the middle of a room full of enemies and hiding behind some suitcases. If you want a game where you are essentially the damage control for your characters endless stupid decisions, this is it.

The game scores 5 in my opinion because when it works its good fun, but its let down far to frequently by just pure irritation.
  55. Aug 31, 2014
    Just hating on this game for annoying DRM practices.

Can't even start games up these without having to sign in to some **** platform, I already have steam, is that not good enough?

Also **** Ubisoft's Uplay aswell.
  56. Feb 7, 2014
    i really enjoyed this game , the development of max payne's character along with the story is well done ,and the gameplay is fun as ever making the best use of bullet time , as we were used to in the previous games , and in my opinion this is the best max payne game for me
  57. Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An alternative name for this game would be "Linear Tales of a Frantic Headshooter". I've never played a more linear and stereotype game. Basically you only watch cutscenes and headshot enemies. Even the shooting and gameplay gets old quite fast. I was also extremely sick of the depressed over-emotional superhuman that Max Payne had become. No deep and meaningful thoughts or revenge to follow. Zero atmosphere, zero detective, zero immersion, only 24/7 whining over everything that happens in the game. Plus it's a brand new world, I was hoping that this game would bring up my memories from old Max Payne. Michelle, dark noir, flashbacks, the feels, the nightmares, the junkies, the story, snowing in the night. Nope, none of it. If you changed Max Payne object for some John Smith and changed 0.1% of the game, you would not even recognize it has to do something with Max Payne world.

Also, I don't think the creators have played this game. After every cutscene Max switches from his whatever currently equipped to a simple beretta. Every time. Whatever you are holding, even it was the HUMAN DESTROYER MACHINE GUN 9001. And it is not even easy to switch back to the gun you held, sometimes you accidentally drop it during the switching. Not to mention many, many, many details and imperfections and annoying mechanics in this game, seriously ffs.

I must say I wanted to recommend this game. For a long time I really wanted, I tried very hard. The only thing that wanted me to recommend were level design and music. Hell those things gave me genuine shivers. I got many "whoa omg wow much epic" moments because of it. It is the only reason why you should play it and trust me you will be stunned. However everything else perfectly balances out this epicness and I'm afraid in the end you are not going to be that pleased.
  58. Dec 11, 2013
    I do not like these cutscenes. With all this psycho filter You can skip some Cutscenes, others not.
    It is a complete waste of time.The gameplay is also horrible. The AI has a response time which is abnormally high.
    One could say the AI is good, no they bad. enemy running around like frightened chickens. Many opponents are triggered. And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you
    Many opponents are triggered.
    And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you are flying against an obstacle with Shootdodge it breaks off.
    Last Stand...if you have no ammo you can not use it. If you do not see your target, you can not use it.
    The bullets do not come out of the gun the game pretends it only .
    You can hit enemys when your weapon is stuck in a wall if your aiming dot points to them. But you can not hit an opponent when the weapon is stuck in a opponent, when the Crosshair does not point to him.
    The annoying weapon switching after every cutscene and you in the whole i can say that the gameplay is totally up .

Many battles after you start a cutscene. You can find yourself in the worst possible position behind a cover. Because Max is entered other rooms only in cutscenes. There is no opportunity for the player to play for an advantage.

The level design is really good very detailed. But for a third person shoot dodge game the maps are too small, they just do not fit the gameplay.

The game requires fast reactions and movements. But Max reacts like an old fat ass.

Not to mention the story compared to the other parts of Max Payne are just horrible.

Next time Rockstar, more Game and less Entertainment.
  59. Nov 8, 2013
    So before starting this review I must say that I haven't played any of the previous Max Payne games. That being said, I did enjoy this game quite a bit. Looking back at it, the story wasn't incredibly special, but the way it was told was the best part of the game. This game had a cut-scene after almost every room, which I enjoyed a lot. Max Payne's narration was just incredible, andSo before starting this review I must say that I haven't played any of the previous Max Payne games. That being said, I did enjoy this game quite a bit. Looking back at it, the story wasn't incredibly special, but the way it was told was the best part of the game. This game had a cut-scene after almost every room, which I enjoyed a lot. Max Payne's narration was just incredible, and kept me interested throughout the game. Some people complained that the cut-scenes restricted the players freedom, but I had no problem with it. This is not an open world game either, though I thought it was since it was made by Rockstar. As a fan of video games, I bought this game with all DLC at around $10 and don't regret it a bit. Expand
  60. Dec 15, 2013
    I didn't bother playing this game on any difficulty under "hard" and it seems like that's the way the game was meant to be played.

The gameplay is very fun. You keep a feeling of mortality the entire time and thus have to carefully plan out your moves or else be forced to replay the scene. Every room is well designed for an action-packed gunfight, even though it really leaves it entirely up to you how you will go about it.

As many people have said and been outraged with, the cutscenes can be long, and it takes a bit before you can skip them. I had no problem with this, however, as the story is very good. If you expect to replay the campaign several hundred times or suffer from untreated ADHD, this might bother you. Otherwise it only contributes to the masterpiece.

The graphics are absolutely stunning. Especially for the time of release, but even still. The environments are full of life in the immediate area, and the distant scenery immerses you in the setting. The environments are constantly changing, from a nightclub rooftop, to the Panama Canal, to the dark, snowy streets of Hoboken. The constant changes in scenery keep things very interesting whilst at the same time aiding the plot.

The violence is pretty extreme (a plus, in my opinion) and gives you a view of bullets entering the faces of your enemies as they wince in pain. You can usually tell when you've scored a kill, not only because the reticule changes color but also because of an awesome spurt of blood from the enemy's head/face.

The entire way through, Max also mutters hundreds of cynical and sometimes hilarious comments about whatever is happening. It's easy to become attached to the main characters with all of the depth and detail that Rockstar provided. With the added subtleties and implications in the story, I think this could easily make a great film

It's disappointing to see so many unsatisfied players and bad reviews. This game instantly made its way to my all-time favorites. I would recommend it to anyone.

... But make sure you play it on hard difficulty!
  61. Dec 25, 2013
    I've bought this game on Steam for €4.,95 and I enjoyed MP I II. This game really sucks. Time spend on this game will be either watching cut scenes or watching your self die. U die all the time so you just don't care about what happens next u'll die anyway for sure and spend 30+ tries to survive one encounter.
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but the game still sucks. Like a Hollywood block buster where everything is repetitive and you just know what's gonna happen. Too much money and to little actual gaming. What a wasted opportunity.
  62. Sep 27, 2014
    Awful.

Gameplay and interface are heavy consolized. You can't find here a rapid adrenaline action, like in previous games, just a hours of boring shooting from the covers. Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game,
    Awful.

Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game, because I started wanting to drop it after first hour - and the plot only making more blunt after it. Seriously, the one of the worst storyline in AAA-videogames ever, including Call of Duties.

Visual style and soundtrack scores solid 0/10
  63. Jan 30, 2013
    Positive things are nice graphics, movie-like gaming experience and quite ok storyline. Negative things are that cutscenes may start even if you don't want to proceed on level yet (no warning) and ALWAYS after cutscene Max changes his rifle to pistol, which is...aaaargh! At it's worst, Max Payne 3 is continous repeat of itself: walk-shoot-cutscene-walk-shoot-cutscene (boring!), mixed withPositive things are nice graphics, movie-like gaming experience and quite ok storyline. Negative things are that cutscenes may start even if you don't want to proceed on level yet (no warning) and ALWAYS after cutscene Max changes his rifle to pistol, which is...aaaargh! At it's worst, Max Payne 3 is continous repeat of itself: walk-shoot-cutscene-walk-shoot-cutscene (boring!), mixed with average storyline. As a whole, this game ain't nothing new or special, just a shooter with slow-motion and nice graphics. Expand
  64. Nov 27, 2012
    The good: I got it on the Steam sale for $14.99 and the gun play can be fun.

The bad: the amount of cut scenes is maddening. When people say shoot for a moment, cut scene, repeat they are not kidding - it gets old fast. The horrible: they keep doing out of focus and disorienting colors/perspective constantly - this eventually gave me a serious headache. I don't know if I have the
    The good: I got it on the Steam sale for $14.99 and the gun play can be fun.

The horrible: they keep doing out of focus and disorienting colors/perspective constantly - this eventually gave me a serious headache. I don't know if I have the will power to go on...

The ridiculous: kidnap one person and thousands must die (it might make sense by the end...I doubt it).
  65. Jan 11, 2013
    The first word that comes to my mind when describing the game: mediocre. I just finished playing on hard difficulty level. I was just a kid when the first Max Payne came out, but I did play it again at a later time also. It was not that polished, but still an enjoyable experience. Max Payne 2 on the other hand was spectacular. The action was flawless, shooting was really fun and the storyThe first word that comes to my mind when describing the game: mediocre. I just finished playing on hard difficulty level. I was just a kid when the first Max Payne came out, but I did play it again at a later time also. It was not that polished, but still an enjoyable experience. Max Payne 2 on the other hand was spectacular. The action was flawless, shooting was really fun and the story went on smoothly. I did not expect this third installment to be a masterpiece like the previous one, but I still did expect an enjoyable piece of action. Luckily, I got it from Steam sale and did not pay full price.

The narration was repetitive and did not do really anything to move the plot. Cut scenes were really annoying, not only stopping any shooting action you might have had going on, but also putting you to some stupid starting position for the next fight. If you played Deus Ex: Human Revolution stealthily and were screaming during the first boss fight, that is the feeling you will be often having playing Max Payne 3.

Controls were frustrating at times. The cover system is flawed as changing cover (by diving jump for example) is impossible, you always have to exit your current cover first and risk getting shot. Luck is heavily involved in most of the firefights, especially if you have to change cover (because the scripted nature of the game forces you to). I did not have problems getting head shots, but sometimes one bullet just was not enough and when there are more than five guys shooting at you, you need lots of painkillers to even try those head shots. Painkillers, or luck, or preferably both. Some scenes were incredibly frustrating and required many tries just to learn by heart from where and when the next enemy was going to appear. It happened too often that there were still one or two enemies standing, I had no ammo left, my health was almost gone and without painkillers, I had to make a run for the nearest weapon, exiting my cover. At that point, it was simply a matter of luck whether I made it or was shot. And usually it was the latter, which really was not fun after certain amount of retries. Even after succeeding, you did not get any enjoyment from an exciting firefight, you only felt you were glad it was over. The point of painkillers was simply that, given enough retries, you could make it to the next checkpoint. In the previous games, having lots of painkillers enabled one to try out some imaginative ways of dealing with the enemies, resulting in more fun; having no painkillers forced one to play it safe. Here, it is just pure luck and eventually you will run out of it, painkillers or not.

The game also has good points, however. The graphics and sounds are fine, if nothing spectacular. A few scenes and even one or two cutscenes were genuinely fun. The game mechanics are simple enough that having all those weapon select wheels etc. from the console world did not distract too much. During my over ten-hour run, the game crashed just a couple of times. Still, I feel like cutting all the boring levels, dropping all the unnecessary cut-scenes and fixing a couple of frustrating firefights, the game would have been five hours at max a ride, but hugely more enjoyable. I would not recommend this, at least not with the hard difficulty level. Instead, try out Max Payne 2 if you fancy some nice shooting action.
  66. Jan 15, 2013
    Looks great, fluid movement from the characters and the environment is attractive and fun to explore. Action is fast paced and fun, the seamless load screen/cut scene makes it hard to put the game down, however, drag the experience down from the empty and poorly written story line that you can't skip through. This is not Max Payne either, Max was a ruthless emotionless man with nothing toLooks great, fluid movement from the characters and the environment is attractive and fun to explore. Action is fast paced and fun, the seamless load screen/cut scene makes it hard to put the game down, however, drag the experience down from the empty and poorly written story line that you can't skip through. This is not Max Payne either, Max was a ruthless emotionless man with nothing to lose, now he's a overly dramatic cry baby. The story and writing was so beautifully done in the first two games but unfortunately this falls well short and make you feel embarrassed for the clumsy misguided "max payne". Great game with a lot going for it, just not as Max Payne. Expand
  67. Mar 28, 2013
    Absolutely horrible. If I didn't have a digital version I'd set the box on fire. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a Max Payne game because it says Max Payne in the title that is a lie. Instead of dancing around bullets doing cool shoot-dodge moves and slow motion fun this is instead yet another Generic Third Person Cover Shooter. Should you dare to exit cover and play the gameAbsolutely horrible. If I didn't have a digital version I'd set the box on fire. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a Max Payne game because it says Max Payne in the title that is a lie. Instead of dancing around bullets doing cool shoot-dodge moves and slow motion fun this is instead yet another Generic Third Person Cover Shooter. Should you dare to exit cover and play the game like MAX PAYNE you will be shot full of holes in an instant. Instead, the slow motion is there so you can hide in cover, activate slow motion, get an easy headshot, and repeat over and over for the entire game. You are forced to play the game in the most boring way possible to succeed, as the fun arcade action of the originals is completely gone. Expand
  68. Sep 18, 2013
    Literally the worst max payne ever... the history is normal ,but the Game is a big bunch of Lags issues .BUT THE WORST Thing in Max payne 3 is the multiplayer... For god's sake who's done that... Who decideded to that the guy who will be shot in a hand will be killed?! AND SOCIAL CLUB.. It's a bit complicated and boring
  69. Dec 2, 2012
    This game has top notch voice acting, from the Brazilian thugs sound amazing to Payne's monologues, everything is of excellent quality. The graphics are good, but the hair and expressions on most characters seem very stiff and plastic.
    The game-play suffers a lot, or rather, it makes the gamer suffer a lot. The third person perspective shooting is poorly made, and frequent deaths occur because of that, making the game a lot more difficult and very annoying. It is necessary to always maintain your right side clear, because you can't make transitions to a left side stance while aiming, but many times that is not possible, making you take unnecessary exposition to enemy gunfire, and getting killed. On top of that, the game is constantly changing your weapons and throwing the gamer into instant action, meaning that you will have the wrong weapon many times and again getting killed because of that. It is not understandable how a AAA game like this gets released with so many game play problems, that just break the game to a point that it is almost unplayable.
  70. May 17, 2013
    I own all 3 max payne and I absolutely loved the first two games. I've went through both of them many times. The action was awesome and the shooting was very satisfying, combined to a nice story and cool ambiance, I had a blast playing them. It is very different for max payne 3 as the list of irritating stuff stacks sky high.

A major annoyance is that you get cutscenes all the time...

A major annoyance is that you get cutscenes all the time... and by all the time I mean ALL THE TIME. It totally destroys immersion and annihilates all chances for the game to build any pace at all. Most of the cutscenes could be removed out of the game and it wouldn't change the story at all (especially since like 50% of the cutscenes are max drinking and falling asleep. Yeah ok, we get it...)

Speaking of redundant cutscenes, max payne was quite the bad ass in other games and you could sympathize with him but when they make you run around the world to save tasteless characters (the dumb blonde and all the brazilian family), you understand that it's to make up for his past but at some point you start wondering why he even gives a damn anymore...

Something that started pissing me off early in game too is the fact that every time you run out of health, the game slows down so you can get a "saving shot" off. At first it's a cool feature but it gets annoying ultra fast as the levels get more crowded: later on, most of the time you can't even get that shot off because there is something in the way or you just can't aim at the target at all. Forget it if you're using a grenade launcher, the grenades are so slow they can't even detonate in time, making the GL way too risky to even use. Oh and what makes this even more of a pain in the ass is that when you're in slow mode and you know you're doomed, the "restart at last checkpoint" option in the menu is unaccessible, so you have to suffer through the entire thing before you can do anything.

Another thing that ruined it for me is that it seems the AI has way too good aiming sometimes. They don't even know you're there and the next nanosecond you get headshot. I don't know how many times this happened. Not only that but it seems like when you use the UZZIs in automatic mode, you shoot all over the place but the AI seems to be able to snipe a fly a thousand yards away with them. Now the cover system is pretty good but it's often entirely negated due to the "encounter" pattern that is always the same: you ALWAYS end up in a big open area, a wave of baddies spawn and then you're pinned down by like 10 dudes. Not only it's about impossible to avoid getting hit a few times but the second you think "yay I'm safe, let's leave cover to get ammo and painkillers" WRONG! As soon as you get far away enough from cover, a second wave spawns in your face. Also, sometimes you try to get cover without the cover system (by cutting angles with most enemies so you can get them into view one by one) but max payne's aiming angle is so awkward that often you get shot by targets you can't even see. Most firefights are so frustrating that it takes the fun out of shooting stuff up... That's saying a lot.

Another few minor annoyances that sounded the alarm the very first seconds I opened the game for the first time: when you get in the game it says press enter to continue at the bottom of the screen... but when you press enter, it does nothing. You have to click the text... Speaking of which, have the people doing the port played a computer game in the last 10 year? Seriously, who uses enter anymore to navigate menus? Well for max payne 3 they decided to do it all the time. Also, for some reason, the mouse is ultra slow in the menus (menus only) for a reason I ignore. Minor stuff you'll tell me... Of course, but it just adds frustration on top of all the other issues.

Add very bland stages with very little variation to that and a bunch of glitches all over the place (from bugged cutscenes that you can't skip so you have to ALT+F4 out to weird convulsing ragdolls) you have a game that has disaster written all over it. I pretty much always finish the games I buy even if I find them tedious but I uninstalled this one about 75% through. I only paid 10$ for it during a steam sale and I still feel ripped off.
  71. Aug 22, 2012
    Just great, I love it. The graphics, the gameplay, the story! If anyone is bothered by the price: Wait and buy it later, like I did. Bought this new game on the Steam summer sale for
  72. Jul 1, 2012
    I had to laugh at all the 10's. Rockstar had all their employee's, friends and relatives write reviews. I loved Max Payne 1 & 2 but this is crap, for all the reasons listed in the other reviews. I like to play a game not watch it. Do yourself a favor and wait till the price drops if you just have to have it. It won't hurt as bad when you find out what I'm telling you is true. Take all theI had to laugh at all the 10's. Rockstar had all their employee's, friends and relatives write reviews. I loved Max Payne 1 & 2 but this is crap, for all the reasons listed in the other reviews. I like to play a game not watch it. Do yourself a favor and wait till the price drops if you just have to have it. It won't hurt as bad when you find out what I'm telling you is true. Take all the 10's, 0's and 1's out and you will get a good idea of a correct score Expand
  73. Jan 4, 2013
    I have been playing shooters on pc since Doom and Wolfenstine 3D and I must say the mouse aiming is just plain retarded. It just feels wrong like when you move it jumps 10 pixels at a time. Absolutely disappointed with rockstar on this one. I am so glad I only paid $14 with steam sale! I was a huge fan of MP 1 & 2. In multiplayer on any pc shooter "soft aim lock" should not even be anI have been playing shooters on pc since Doom and Wolfenstine 3D and I must say the mouse aiming is just plain retarded. It just feels wrong like when you move it jumps 10 pixels at a time. Absolutely disappointed with rockstar on this one. I am so glad I only paid $14 with steam sale! I was a huge fan of MP 1 & 2. In multiplayer on any pc shooter "soft aim lock" should not even be an option this is not xbox360 us pc gamers do not need any type of auto-aim, then again with the retarded mouse movement maybe we do on this one..... Expand
  74. Aug 24, 2012
    Wow, i'm completely thrown off by so many negative scores on the game.
    Wow, i'm completely thrown off by so many negative scores on the game.
    I really don't want to focus too much into all this negative criticism but I have to say that I understand now why games like call of duty which is pretty much a copy paste year after year has become one of the most succesful, best selling games but this same gamers are the ones that give Max Payne 3 a very low score but eat the **** that EA defecates every god forsaken year.
    Sorry, I had to get that out of my system.
    I have played all of the Max Payne games and I have to say that this is the best of the franchise.
    The story is compelling, interesting, the one liners are sometimes cheesy but work well with the character. Max can be a bad ass at times and others a bit pathetic, and that makes it feel totally human.
    There has been complaining about not being able to skip cutscenes, apparently the game loads the map while playing the cutscenes, so you dont see a friggin "Loading game" screen ever. I rather see the story than a black screen, thank you very much Rockstar.
    Talking about Rockstar there is one thing that really muddles the narrative, the constant flash of the screen, and the highlight of certain words that the characters are saying, I have a hard time trying to describe this. I mean it's fine for a while but after 10 hours of gameplay, it gets old and by the time you get to the end, you hate it.
    The graphics aren't ground breaking but look well enough, I was amazed about the amount of details put on the scenery, specially when playing through the favelas, evidently they put a lot of work into making them look realistic. I played in a 40 inch screen at 1920x1080 and game looks very nice and plays smoothly and I dont have a high end video card.
    The controls are responsive most of the times, cover works fine, despite what some people might say, although there is one flaw, going from cover to cover sucks big time.
    One thing I dont understand is the laser beam on the weapons. it just doesn't work well, its more an annoyance than anything else. I dont get why should we have it when i'm playing in third person and I have a **** dot on the middle of the screen. the dot beats any laser that the guns may have, that is just silly.
    The game mechanics are true to the series, they added some little tweaks here and there like the infamous last stand, it is all good to me in this matter.
    The difficulty of the game might be frustrating to some people, if you dont like to die, well you won't be happy because you die a lot, you can't just ram the whole game through your enemies, there are times where you have to think how to approach them. In hard difficulty the games offers a challenge unlike other games. I think games are too easy nowadays.
    In conclusion, the game is solid fun, the story is interesting, Max Payne is an interesting character and the narrative i'ts well done, it's action packed, lots of guns and little secrets and rewards to collect throughout the levels. So there is plenty of contect.
    The game took me about 15 to 20 hours, playing in hard.
    I highly recommend this game, you can get a digital copy online (google it) for as low as 20 bucks.
    peace out!
  75. Aug 7, 2012
    The best 3rd person shooter I have ever played. The action is breathtaking and violent, writing is superb (I've never heard such great dialogues in a shooter game, some quotes are just genius), every single detail is perfected. I already completed this game twice, and gameplay still offers a challenge.
    Why 9, but not 10? Even though the story is totally awesome, maybe Rockstar gone to far with an amount of cut-scenes.
    Despite this, Max Payne 3 is flawless.
  76. Aug 3, 2012
    This is the most fun I've had in a game in a while. The graphics are great, and so is the gameplay. The story wasn't by the same people as Max Payne 1 and 2, so you can expect different. They story was excellent in my opinion. Multiplayer is fine, but if you aren't that great at Max Payne you might die a lot. The same goes for singleplayer. The game is a bit difficult, but the checkpointsThis is the most fun I've had in a game in a while. The graphics are great, and so is the gameplay. The story wasn't by the same people as Max Payne 1 and 2, so you can expect different. They story was excellent in my opinion. Multiplayer is fine, but if you aren't that great at Max Payne you might die a lot. The same goes for singleplayer. The game is a bit difficult, but the checkpoints are plentiful. Expand
  77. Sep 10, 2013
    average cover based shooter. completely agree with wilddeer's review below. save me writing one

78. Feb 14, 2013
    So disappointed. The biggest problems are technical, it's pretty much a craps shoot as to whether you will get it to run (Didn't run properly on my gamer PC, did run on gamer laptop at much reduced settings). So if you get over the technical, what do you get in the game? Cut scenes that make the Metal Gear Solid series look brief and uninspiring game play when you do get the chance toSo disappointed. The biggest problems are technical, it's pretty much a craps shoot as to whether you will get it to run (Didn't run properly on my gamer PC, did run on gamer laptop at much reduced settings). So if you get over the technical, what do you get in the game? Cut scenes that make the Metal Gear Solid series look brief and uninspiring game play when you do get the chance to interact. nil points. Expand
  79. Mar 8, 2013
    I just hope anyone from Rockstar Games is reading this: it's about your GTA engine. DO NOT EVER attempt to make a game where a protagonist has to shoot ridiculous heaploads of enemies and where the plot kind of depends on that process. Your engine really kills the narrative. It just plain sucks for games like that. It is just not suited for games with a decent story at all. Stick to yourI just hope anyone from Rockstar Games is reading this: it's about your GTA engine. DO NOT EVER attempt to make a game where a protagonist has to shoot ridiculous heaploads of enemies and where the plot kind of depends on that process. Your engine really kills the narrative. It just plain sucks for games like that. It is just not suited for games with a decent story at all. Stick to your GTA stuff (it is really good). THANKS A BUNCH! Expand
  80. Aug 2, 2013
    Bought during summer sales, one of the rare games that i find its a chore to play. many reviewers mentioned that the game has too many cut scenes and i share this argument. the game mechanics is also flawed, often a cut scene will leave you wide open to various assaults, which results to instant death on higher difficulties.

the games controlls are also bad, while mouse can be

the games controlls are also bad, while mouse can be calibrated to your needs the crosshair moves depending on where you are at cover. this leads to more frustrating moments where you pop up to take a shot only to realise that the crosshair is somewhere else

bullet time is also not used often cause its rather pointless, the cramped and dense surroundings would mean that majority of the time you will hit something and lay vulnerable to gunfire

dont buy unless dirt cheap, like steam sales
  81. Aug 22, 2013
    The best part of the game is it's graphics. Graphics however do not make a game. The story is forced and unoriginal being ripped from a subpar movie. Max payne deserves a better story than a sub par movie plot.
  82. Aug 19, 2013
    A frustrating and maddening game primarily because of the way it was implemented.

Cutscenes and slow-mo cams killed this game. You spend about 3 minutes shooting people and once you just about got into the groove, a cut scene ensues and it breaks the pacing. Another silly thing implemented was that you would automatically slow down when going past an object relevant to the game. Case in point: At some point you will be fighting in a building and you are meant to attach some objects to the pillars. You can be running around and all of a sudden, you just slow to a crawl simply because you are going past a pillar.

Slow-mo cams. The annoying part of the game is when you are just about to die, the game goes into some slow-mo mode that the devs must have thought cool, but it isn't. What's irritating about it is that you automatically do a flying lunge (often on your back) and the game slows down taking on some saturated look and you're left desperately hunting for the cross hair (which has changed position, often way off the mark because the view has switched to some awful position that often is behind a wall or such that you appear to be viewing things out of your arse) to kill the person who was causing you so much damage. Once that's accomplished, you end up remaining on the floor and in a dilemma because if you stand, you get hit and there's no option to reliably get back into cover or crouch automatically.

Next, scripted actions. When you enter any room or reload, you automatically end up with a pistol. No matter if you are carrying the baddest assed gun in the game, you end up with the pistol. This is fine for the early bits, but when you are faced with enemies wearing body armour and carrying assault rifles and outnumbering you 7:1, you don't want a puny pistol that has only 8 rounds in the mag. What's worse is that the time it takes to change means that the enemies are often right on top of you because that's the way the game was scripted.

Also, there's a strange bug that causes you to lose control of the keyboard and you end up defaulting into the aimed mode but you can fire or jump or anything except walk at a slow pace. This happens even in the midst of a firefight and has caused several reloads. Silly video effects like wavy cams, blue-red distortions and other necessary effects destroy all that's left of this once fun franchise (see Max Payne and Max Payne 2).

In conclusion, stay away from this and other Rockstar North games until they sort their sh it out. Better yet, wait for it to come down even lower in a couple more years when it's in the bargain bin or on some sale. Rockstar needs to be taught a lesson via their income statement to stop developing half-assed movies that masquerade as a game. If I wanted a movie, I'd pay for it (cheaper) and sit with my spouse in either the comfort of my home or in a theatre and eat chips and drink sodas and not frustrate myself with this movie-on-rails. That's right, you could hardly qualify this as a shooter even.
  83. Jun 27, 2012
    Giving a score this low to max payne was incredibly hard for me and really depressing. There are just too many problems: the combat controls are terrible (most likely due to it being a **** console port), the shoot dodge system ends up causing more deaths than it saves due to the absurdly long time it takes to get up again, the cover system has the standard sticky-glue type thing where youGiving a score this low to max payne was incredibly hard for me and really depressing. There are just too many problems: the combat controls are terrible (most likely due to it being a **** console port), the shoot dodge system ends up causing more deaths than it saves due to the absurdly long time it takes to get up again, the cover system has the standard sticky-glue type thing where you attach yourself to cover, except that a lot of the cover is destructible so you just end up turning into an immobile target, the game is basically a movie with small linear corridors and billions of quick time events, bullet time runs out so fast its barely enough to get a couple shots off, and I could go on and on and on about the mechanics, but whats really important, as max payne fans know, is the story. The game has always been a semi-interactive story in which the player acts out the fatalistic actions of a man who knows hes going to die. The first game was so over the top that it was memorable. Rockstar tried to capture that spirit, but just ended up with a bland story with a main character who to me just came across as an arse. If the story was good, I could of forgiven everything else, but since the story is horrificly bad, it is hardly worth playing. Expand
  84. Jul 10, 2012
    The worst Max Payne ever made. Graphics, sounds and the storyline are okay. But the gameplay horrible. A lot of cutscene are we really want this? Of coure no. When i play as Max Payne i don't want to take cover, because Max no need cover. And the last stand the worst in this game. A lots of time i can't shoot the man because something hide the enemy or no ammo in my weapon and i die. ThisThe worst Max Payne ever made. Graphics, sounds and the storyline are okay. But the gameplay horrible. A lot of cutscene are we really want this? Of coure no. When i play as Max Payne i don't want to take cover, because Max no need cover. And the last stand the worst in this game. A lots of time i can't shoot the man because something hide the enemy or no ammo in my weapon and i die. This game 60-70% cutscene and 30-40% gameplay. Every 1-3 minutes cutscene and this is a fu**ing joke. And a lot of cutscene endings i found myself a bad cover and the enemies shooting at me. Every cutscene endings the game change my weapon to a pistol and it's also horrible. Looks like a console port, you can change a lot of graphics option but the gameplay and these bad things in this game because of console for ex. the cover because of noob console players who need a cover to not die. Expand
  85. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm so happy I got this on the steam sale. Max Payne 3 is one of those games that make you clear one area, and after this you move on to the next. If you get killed, you have to start over again. Sometimes the 'areas' turn out to be much larger than one would have thought and after completing a challenging part of a level, you move on, looking around (more about this in a second) only toI'm so happy I got this on the steam sale. Max Payne 3 is one of those games that make you clear one area, and after this you move on to the next. If you get killed, you have to start over again. Sometimes the 'areas' turn out to be much larger than one would have thought and after completing a challenging part of a level, you move on, looking around (more about this in a second) only to get shot and restart something that you already did. I know there are people that like this kind of thing: if that's you, you might like the game. But that's not the only shortcoming of the game.

I normally love games with a good story. Max Payne attempted to be cinematic, but it failed miserably. The way they created his character is just cheesy. You've got an ex-cop, who's a pill-popping alcoholic, who takes a bottle of pain killers and chases them down with a bottle of vodka or whiskey or whatever is his poison. All that Max does is complain about being a failure, monotonously. His wise-cracks are just like he is as a character: miserable and predictable. And, always banging on the same drum, ultimately boring. I know that sometimes protagonists of video games are supposed to be stereotypical, but its hard to find something less enthralling than a whining alcoholic. Other characters aren't much better. There also is a small technical plot hole. If you're bent on finding somebody, and time is of the essence, the game should encourage you to charge, or at least try to get to your goal ASAP. But it doesn't. Oh no. It does everything to discourage you, it even award you for not doing so. You have to find clues and parts of golden weapons as bonus objectives (remember when bonus objectives were a real part of games that made you do a level 5 or 6 times to get everything right?) Here its just the opposite. You have to canvas entire areas looking for something that might be a clue, or a weapon part. Which can be ludicrously hidden at times. Again, this isn't something new, and games such as Black had this.

The game also has too much cliches. You have the favellas bit (Fear 3, Modern Warfare 2), escaping a burning building (EVERYTHING last year)... What it lacks is innovation. And being fun.
  86. Mar 15, 2013
    Hahaha notice that all the reviews which give this game a 10 are posted 1-4th of June 2012, just when the game was released. I guess rockstar (wisely) didn't trust real gamers to write positive reviews.

Since the reviews wont tell you what you get with this game, I will: it's a bad console port. One can't change the controls, it is 100% corridor shooter, gameplay is run & gun for two minutes followed by a long cutscene, rinse and repeat.
    Graphics are fairly poor, gameplay is worse the handholding is so heavy and the cutscenes so frequent it's effectively a slightly interactive movie. Oh yeah, and it REQUIRES that you register online for a "social" account before you can play.

Possibly the most disappointing game I've played in two years. Really sad to see how far the Max Payne franchise has fallen.
  87. Jun 18, 2012
    PROS: ()Good story and voice-acting; the game still retains its personality like the previous games, () Great and realistic graphics, although the design could've been more inspiring, () Fun action. CONS: It's the small things that ruin this game. () Shootdodge is practically useless as your mouse sensitivity changes drastically making you unable to aim; Shootdodge stops once you hit aPROS: ()Good story and voice-acting; the game still retains its personality like the previous games, () Great and realistic graphics, although the design could've been more inspiring, () Fun action. CONS: It's the small things that ruin this game. () Shootdodge is practically useless as your mouse sensitivity changes drastically making you unable to aim; Shootdodge stops once you hit a wall, and there are rarely instances where you're fully out in the open without obstacles; you are also very prone after Shootdodge, still with strange sensitivity, making you much easier to be shot. () Occasional stutter, especially in the cutscenes, () Mouse sensitivity sometimes change drastically without a reason, () Game switches your weapon to sidearms every time a cutscene ends, while you are mostly put in an open gunfight directly after cutscenes; this made the action sometimes frustrating, () Can be too hard for a lot of people, even in Easy difficulty, () Many features of the game are useless; sprint only adds to your runspeed 5-10%, rolling is not too useful, many rifles to choose from but they don't feel different, () The game lacks any too satisfying moments like memorable boss fights or creative ways to kill enemies. Expand
  88. Jun 23, 2012
    I really like Max Payne series. One of the best. And I admire Rockstar Games' work. But HOW THE HELL THEY LET THIS HAPPEN ?! First I bought the game and played the story my jaw on the ground..It was really stunning. Then I tried Multiplayer... What the hell ?! There were hackers all over the servers, in every game.. That makes the multiplayer unplayable and annoying. I give 5 because ofI really like Max Payne series. One of the best. And I admire Rockstar Games' work. But HOW THE HELL THEY LET THIS HAPPEN ?! First I bought the game and played the story my jaw on the ground..It was really stunning. Then I tried Multiplayer... What the hell ?! There were hackers all over the servers, in every game.. That makes the multiplayer unplayable and annoying. I give 5 because of the storytelling and graphics. Rest is rubbish Expand
  89. Jun 25, 2012
    Firstly to the haters.If anyone of you havent experienced or played max payne game before then to be literal YOU WONT LIKE THIS A BIT because max payne games have always been linear and in service of narrative cinematics while retaining dark atmosphere.I have been playing max payne since its original release 2001 and still do with lots of awesome mods created by fans specially for MaxFirstly to the haters.If anyone of you havent experienced or played max payne game before then to be literal YOU WONT LIKE THIS A BIT because max payne games have always been linear and in service of narrative cinematics while retaining dark atmosphere.I have been playing max payne since its original release 2001 and still do with lots of awesome mods created by fans specially for Max Payne 2.Max Payne 3 didnt feel like a max payne game at all to be honest and die hard fans might agree with that.ITS JUST A LINEAR AND OVERSCRIPTED GTA IV TO BE SPECIFIC.NOIR STYLE,DREAM SEQUENCES,DARK ATMOSPHERE,FEELING OFMAX PAYNE CHARACTER ALL ARE GONE.in the first two games we actually felt the resonance of the tensed situations and feel of a max as a character.To be specific Max Payne 3 is a sheer disappointment.Remedy will regret the loss of such iconic character by rockstar and its GTA fanbase.PROS:Terrific voice acting and level design,,great shoot outs CONS:Not in any way feels like a max payne game.even the story is cliched with predictable outcome,no dream sequences,no character feeling,Mona Sax is completely forgotten in the latest installment.Overall IF I WERE NEW TO MP SERIES THEN I WOULD HAVE RATED IT 9 BUT AS A DIE HARD FAN OF THE SERIES FOR A DECADE I AM DISAPPOINTED.SAME THING HAPPENED TO SPLINTER CELL SERIES WHEN CONVICTION WAS RELEASED AND NOW MAX PAYNE.START WORRYING ABOUT 47 Expand
  90. Feb 22, 2013
    Cutscene, shooting gallery, bulletime. Rinse and repeat. The story was average, and so was the game play, and the fact that if you couldn't get past one point you could just restart it with full health and a couple extra painkillers really bugged the hell out of me, it took away the challenge.
    The one redeeming feature is that it's not a terrible PC port.
  91. Jul 21, 2012
    I am or was the biggest Max Payne fan, but after playing 3 I can't help but point out the flaws in this game since they stick out like a soar thumb! First, it's a port. The games core design was for console gamers and with this comes a whole load of issues. The biggest issue I find in this game is the mouse control. Even with the mouse acceleration turned off it still jerks aroundI am or was the biggest Max Payne fan, but after playing 3 I can't help but point out the flaws in this game since they stick out like a soar thumb! First, it's a port. The games core design was for console gamers and with this comes a whole load of issues. The biggest issue I find in this game is the mouse control. Even with the mouse acceleration turned off it still jerks around hindering my aim! Accuracy in MP3 is so bad that the sniper rifle and other precision weapons are useless. The only effective weapon is the shotgun, but even that is crap even at close range! Aiming is practically useless not only because of the lack of control, but because aiming doesn't zoom in enough or it does zoom in, but you can't move. Talking of moving, why can't Max run!? Running involves speed and yet R* can't get that right! Even the AI can run faster than Max can! I don't even know why R* put a cover system in this game. It's clunky and sticky! The cover system always restricts my movement which is the point of the game, being mobile and dodging bullets! Talking of bullets, where was all the fancy gun physics which R* showcased in their demos? Bullets don't drop at range in this game nor do they penetrate the target like they should. The amount of times I'm denied a head shot because the NPC puts his hand in the way was too frequent as was the amount of times buckshot from the hip completely misses it's target at mid to close ranges. High calibre rounds should penetrate through limbs, even body armor! The loading times are basically covered up by cut-scenes and boy there are a lot of those. If there is anything that does this game justice it would be that the graphics are really good and the slow motion effects are good as well, but that's basically it. Everything else is either a half-arsed or complete crap! Which has really destroyed my expectations from R* and GTAV! To sum this game up; if your a Max Payne fan and you really can't keep hands away from MP3, get the CONSOLE version. The PC one is duff! The overall gameplay is restrictive. Much like what Capcom does with their games, R* had gone for an Arcade style shooter rather than the Bullet Simulator that was promised. MP3 is an all right game, but it's no where nearly as good as MP2 or even Max Payne for that matter. Expand
  92. Jul 3, 2012
    Its no doubt superb game even though the game play is a bit choppy. However that is mainly due to keyboard mapping not making much sense. Game is enjoyable with game pad as well. After finishing the game on hard difficulty, I must say it is also a lengthy game. Considering it takes a whopping 26gb space with most of the dlc content, it is not shocking. Although the Max's comments are pureIts no doubt superb game even though the game play is a bit choppy. However that is mainly due to keyboard mapping not making much sense. Game is enjoyable with game pad as well. After finishing the game on hard difficulty, I must say it is also a lengthy game. Considering it takes a whopping 26gb space with most of the dlc content, it is not shocking. Although the Max's comments are pure drunken poetry in motion, majority of the time Max plays himself, almost at every event cut scenes take over and you wait as the game throws you back into the action, sometimes right as you get shot at. I cannot tell you how many times I have died while playing hard difficulty because I am looking at an awkward direction while getting shot at after cut scenes. More over, gameplay is choppy because it often decides to switch 3rd person view from one side to another, it gets you killed during forced slow motion moments and around the corners often. Not to mention diving into the direction automatically after losing health and losing sight of the enemy which you need to kill to survive, while having 5 pain killers is pure epic fail. Similar things happen when you are out of ammo, or shot in the back and you watch Max try to turn his weapon around to shoot the enemy, as you slowly fall on the ground and die. But as you get angry at the game play, before you know it there is a long cut scene which makes you forget it ever happened.

In short, you do not play Max Payne, he plays himself. You just die here and there. If Max Payne 3 was a movie (and it sort of is) It would have pwned Max Payne the movie, hands down, the story is that good. Game play however is subpar. Good thing they hyped the game up, they will need that money when Brazil namely Sao Paolo sues them.
  93. Jul 15, 2012
    No big deal... boring... graphic sucks.... slo-mo for ???
    Big title... dissapointed... yeah, i play from Max Payne 1....
    but, hey, you try some others game 2012, the Cinematic, Graphic, Scene.... all are greater, higher res textures, everything render more beautifully....
  94. Mar 7, 2013
    In a word: disappointed. I’m a massive fan of the first two games and still play through them every now and them, but I have no intension of replaying Max’s latest adventure. Graphically the game is very good, but completely devoid of the noir that made the previous games so atmospheric. And where is the humour and the constant movie and TV references? It’s like it takes itself tooIn a word: disappointed. I’m a massive fan of the first two games and still play through them every now and them, but I have no intension of replaying Max’s latest adventure. Graphically the game is very good, but completely devoid of the noir that made the previous games so atmospheric. And where is the humour and the constant movie and TV references? It’s like it takes itself too seriously in a vain attempt to come across as “gritty”. The graphic novels have been replaced by lengthy and unskippable animated cutscenes that quickly become tiresome. And the story is dull and instantly forgettable. I managed to complete the game in two afternoons (for which I paid £30, so not good value for money). The action seems to have evolved into something more resembling COD and they have implemented a cover system that is crucial to survival. You spend most of the game crouched behind walls, popping out every now and then to take headshots. Bullet time is no longer centre stage gone are the dynamic and insanely fun fire fights of the previous games. The multiplayer is nothing special. It’s basically a 3rd person COD, with similar gamemodes, and a similar experience and perks system. The bullet time function is clumsy and doesn’t really work as all players in line of sight enter the mode with you when activated. In fact the multiplayer is already pretty much dead. After the dullness and dumbed-down experience of LA Noire and the mediocrity that was GTA IV, I strongly suspect that Rockstar has lost their way. It’s like they’ve forgotten what used to make their games so good. Expand
  95. Dec 7, 2012
    This game is once again a proof that you cannot rely on critic reviews to buy games.
    This game is apart from a brilliant graphics extremely bad.
    This game is apart from a brilliant graphics extremely bad.
    This was my first Max Payne game so I cannot compare to the previous versions but the story line is bad, the narration is bad, the game evolution is bad, the game features are bad, the aiming is bad, the enemies suck, there is no challenge even in the hardest available level.
    In a couple of words, I didn't like this game, it was boring and 12 hours long (for 60
  96. Dec 14, 2012
    What drivel! It is everything I should have expected from a shooter made by Rockstar. The cut scenes are EVERYWHERE, interrupting the game play every few seconds so there is no flow to the game. I have never had problems with epilepsy but these cut scenes make me want to vomit, with all the "artsy" blurring and fading in and out. I understand that the protagonist is in a perpetual state ofWhat drivel! It is everything I should have expected from a shooter made by Rockstar. The cut scenes are EVERYWHERE, interrupting the game play every few seconds so there is no flow to the game. I have never had problems with epilepsy but these cut scenes make me want to vomit, with all the "artsy" blurring and fading in and out. I understand that the protagonist is in a perpetual state of intoxication, but you don't need to make me vomit as well. The weapon selection is pure crap and is obviously a port from the console version. I will have my 2 handed weapon selected when, yes, another cut scene interrupts. I am now released back into the action with my pistol selected instead of my more powerful primary and if I roll my mouse wheel the wrong direction, I drop my 2 handed weapon all together leaving me exposed in a firefight without my main weapon. Of course the painkillers are your friend, you WILL take a lot of damage, but they are scarce and not readily available. The controls are awful and clunky. The aiming recital disappears when not in use so when you enter a firefight you will need to fire off around before you can even attempt to aim. I don't like Rockstar to begin with, but after destroying one of my favorite classic games, I downright hate them. Save your money for a worthwhile game, this one is awful. Expand
  97. Jan 13, 2013
    I'm giving this game a zero because there are so many frustrating things about the playing experience that make me not want to play. I almost clicked uninstall just now but I'm going to wait and give it one more chance. My hopes are not high.

The story is really pretty decent and intriguing; I'd say the only thing that's kept me in the game this far. The actual game play and mechanics are abysmal and the game is wrought with bugs. I've had the same essential PC hardware for over 2 years (video card and processor, etc) and this is the first game that has ever caused a blue screen/crash. Approximately one out of every 5 times I take cover I get stuck in cover, cannot move, cannot peak out, aim or shoot and I have to wait until they shoot me to near death for it to animate me out or just restart the check point. It's bad enough that I mostly have to avoid the cover system.

Moving is awkward, clunky and slow. Mouse control/sensitivity is out of control. Luckily I have a mouse with a hardware button to adjust the DPI or I would not have been able to play this game at all. Aiming is still very clunky and predicting where your aim will go when leaving cover is nearly impossible.

There is an art style applied to the MANY cut scenes that you will want to hit someone for after the first 5 minutes. It looks like a VHF channel with signal problems on an old CRT television and they do it CONSTANTLY. Also the game will pull you out of actual game play into unskippable cut scenes without warning simply for stepping somewhere on the map. This often means you cannot go back to where you were before the cut scene which also means you can't collect items such as guns or ammo from enemies you just killed. Also fantastic is that your weapon selection is constantly changed FOR you during cut scenes and otherwise. Had dual pistols equipped? Maybe an assault rifle? Not anymore, now you just have one lousy pistol equipped and they've dumped you into a fire fight with a dozen bad guys. Enjoy that weapon switching too because it takes so long that you'll most likely get shot up while waiting for it or maybe even die. Overall there is a very low attention to detail in this game. Inconsistencies between scenes and cut scenes (can't keep track of what gun you're carrying). Very little player control and when you are in control it's just not very fun. What happens when you're in cover and you get shot close to death? You go into slow mo mode with a chance to kill the bad guy who shot you. This means you lose bullet time and you do an in place sideways dive of sorts so that you end up out of cover lying on your side. So even if you're able to win that little battle Max is so slow to get back up you'll probably just die again before you can get back to cover.

I REALLY can't believe that anyone play tested this and said "Yes, this is a fun game to play". It's a really embarrassingly bad game mechanically which ruins a pretty decent story experience.

P.S. Don't think that your game play actions have any actual effect on the outcome of events. The story and events are set in stone so you can fight your ass off for an hour and kill dozens or hundreds of bad guys only to have the entire purpose of your fighting undone in a 90 second cut-scene where suddenly you're powerless. Yay 1990's gaming!
  98. Jun 23, 2012
    Ultimately enjoyable, no doubt. Had it been named "Run down bodyguard on a rampage" or "Man On Fire" then I couldn't fault it more than the horrendous decision to not be able to skip cutscenes, and the troublesome bulletime dodging. But this is a Max Payne game. Kudos for getting the right voice actor, kudos for trying to bring back the Noir. Trying is just not enough, when ultimately itUltimately enjoyable, no doubt. Had it been named "Run down bodyguard on a rampage" or "Man On Fire" then I couldn't fault it more than the horrendous decision to not be able to skip cutscenes, and the troublesome bulletime dodging. But this is a Max Payne game. Kudos for getting the right voice actor, kudos for trying to bring back the Noir. Trying is just not enough, when ultimately it fails to deliver the most important aspect of the Max Payne story experience. There are a few cases where the old Max pops up and I truly feel for him, but overall Max is reduced to a reluctant killer. Max was never reluctant to dish out righteous justice. Heck he even killed his only good friend in the name of justice.
    So ultimately, if you want to cash in on the brand name, you have to deliver on that name. And to me Rockstar certainly didn't.
  99. Nov 25, 2012
    My review is based on the PC version, NOT any console version!
    As a long time fan of the Max Payne series I have to say how disapointed I am by this drivel rockstar have seen fit to release. Lazy console port would sum this game up in short, but it would be unfair to label it thus without explaining why.
    My review is based on the PC version, NOT any console version!
    Visuals first: Well, not too bad, But for a PC game I expect far more. I would have liked more graphical options. I would have liked to see some emotion in the faces of the characters, they all look so wooden. Everywhere you go or look just seems a little too empty. This is supposed to be a gritty dark game but it reminds me of the latest Duke Nukem in the way it looks.
    Storyline/acting: Not too bad as a story, sort of, but the acting is awful. Not hammy awful, just really crap awful. Even worse than Mark Wahlberg was in the film...If that is at all possible!
    Gameplay: Poor really. Too many interrupting cut-scenes. The cover system causes more problems and makes you just as vulnerable as standing out in the open waving a big "shoot me" flag. Many times I have been killed because an enemy flanked me while I was in cover and as I have turned to try and shoot them the camera has flipped around and I have ended up facing completely the wrong way. The camera need to see through pillars and walls when you are in cover and you turn, not whizz round disorientating you like it does now.
    There seems to be lots of weapons in this game, the only problem I have with the weaponry is that the targeting reticule is tiny and it can be hard to figure out where you are aiming in the heat of battle. I would have liked the option to have a cross-hair or larger, more visible aiming point. (unless there is one in the options menu somewhere that I have overlooked)? Controls: It feels like moving through quicksand sometimes. Camera placing issues aside, it feels hard to accurately target your enemies. The movement of your character seems sluggish and there also seems to be some form of inertia when you try and stop behind pillars or wall ends. I found myself overshooting and then over compensating on many occasions, not good when under heavy fire.
    Reliability: I'm not sure which Max Payne 3 some people are playing, but I have had many problems running this game. Several crashes. Screen lockups, jittering and stuttering. Running slow and then skipping to my death scene for no apparent reason (and yes all drivers are up to date, it's the game not my computer).
    Overall: If you can get this game cheap (I paid £8 for it) then it is worth all of the 4 points I have given it, and It might be worth persevering with. As for full price? I wouldn't waste your money...Unless some seriously good patches come out to correct the shonky camera, control, crash and bug issues.
  100. Nov 28, 2012
    I have to agree with wilddeer. I've played the first two Max Paynes and all I can say is this is nothing like the first two max paynes. The game starts with a 10 minute movie and then after shooting at people for about 5 minutes I get another 10 minute cut-seen. Which wouldn't be bad except after the cut-seen max always finds the dumbest place to stop and hide behind. Can't hind behindI have to agree with wilddeer. I've played the first two Max Paynes and all I can say is this is nothing like the first two max paynes. The game starts with a 10 minute movie and then after shooting at people for about 5 minutes I get another 10 minute cut-seen. Which wouldn't be bad except after the cut-seen max always finds the dumbest place to stop and hide behind. Can't hind behind the steel counter, lets hide behind the 3 pieces of luggage in the middle of the airport. The other part I like about the game is the horrible computer A.I. it's always aiming at you (even through walls) and always knows where your at. I really love when after you kill the first wave and the 2nd wave magically appears and you have people shooting you in the back and since your health gets shot off so quickly since the computer always hits you and always hits you in the face. So here is the basic rundown of the game. First, 10 minute cut-seen, max then hides behind the dumbest object he can find and the shooting begins. You can either a) wait until your slow-mo bar fills up so you can actually kill somebody or b) try shoot at one of the 5-6 guys shooting at you at the same time at which point you get shot in the face. After the fight max always has some silly comment, which after hearing about him drinking or being screwed over for the umpteenth time you get to a point where you don't care. So in a nutshell, cut-seen, shootout, max **** cut-seen, shootout, max **** Fun...... Expand
  101. Jun 3, 2012
    MY VIEW FOR THOSE WHO ARE TIRED OF ANGER AND SPAMMING POSTS AND USELESS GAME REVIEW SITES.

Yes, I'm one of the many (mainly Steam purchasers it seems) who have had trouble launching the game. But I'm not going to waste time slagging Steam/Rockstar off for this problem, even though it wasted much of my time sorting out. I'm currently playing Max Payne 3 with a modified .exe, but hey, I'm playing Max Payne 3!

Firstly, as is usually the first request of any PC gaming enthusiast, what are the graphics like? Well, put simply, they are consistently outstanding. I'm fortunate enough to be playing the game @ 2560x1440 with maxed out settings and it runs buttery smooth. Rockstar has finally done itself proud by giving us, the PC gamer, a extremely well optimised game. If you have the hardware then you're in for a treat, Max Payne 3 may not grab the number one spot for outright visual splendour (although it is worthy of nomination) but it does win an award that almost every game - even PC exclusive titles - can't get close to; it contains a high level of texture work that PC gamers expect. Crysis may still be deemed as great looking but many of it's textures are awful up close, the same can best said for many of the so-called visual PC behemoths. Max Payne 3 manages to look excellent not just most of the time, but all of the time. Coming from Rockstar, who are renowned for detail rather than cutting edge graphics, this is an amazing achievement. Whether the PC version was built from the ground up; shares parts with the console versions; or is largely a port, doesn't matter. Apart from one thing (which I'll comment on in a minute) Max Payne 3 for the PC looks like a bona fide PC game, through and through. Rockstar may not have included the myriad graphics settings that dazzle most in Serious Same BFE, but the choice of DX9-DX11 settings allow for good scaling. At it's highest settings Max Payne 3 looks to switch on every cutting edge feature, placing the PC version leagues ahead of the console offering. Again, credit to Rockstar for this hugely evident visual increase. I played both Max Payne and Max Payne 2 and enjoyed them immensely using the faithful mouse and keyboard controls. But honestly, Max Payne 3 plays better on a gamepad. With a XBox 360 controller the game is simply better. I'm a veteran gamer, the M&K is what I consider myself a master of, but this game doesn't seem to work well with it. As soon as I plugged my gamepad in, it all came together, and the one thing that may stand out as a console trespasser to most is actually welcomed by me. The weapon select dial that sends hordes of PC gamers into a frenzied mutiny is perfect for the job in Max Payne 3. Seriously, if you feel yourself playing this game and all the while something is niggling away inside your head, get a gamepad and plug it in. The Marmite love and hate relationship with the cut scenes is understandable. Initially I wasn't too keen on the , what seemed to be, intrusion of Rockstar's story book, but after a while they started to fit the game well. For those that are still complaining that Rockstar haven't replicated the previous games should take a chill pill and enjoy what it has created. In true Rockstar fashion what we have here is a story well told, a story that you want to continue, one that makes it hard for you to hit the quit button. Yes it's ridiculous, yes it's brash, but it's something that many games have lost over recent times. IT'S FUN! Running through baddies whilst picking them them off is amazing fun. Rockstar have somehow managed to make the real time gunfights as fun, if not more so, than any bullet time event. The action is powerful, brutal and bloody, you'll often feel so invigorated after even a short exchange of bullets that you'll watch yet another cut scene with bated breath, the story driving you toward the next exciting instalment. The audio is very nice. Rockstar has a great eye for detail (just look at the amount of detail in GTAIV) and it knows how to do sound, too. Everything just works, it fits. The music, the effects, the voice work, all of it is superb. The accompanying tunes are so good you don't even notice them. That may sound odd, but it's very important that any in-game music does not become centre stage. Be part of a game, help towards making the experience epic, but don't overdo it. Rockstar has done well here. Unfortunately, as with it's previous titles, Rockstar have gone slightly overkill with the language. Yes, I understand this kind of thing in the real world would involve lots of unsavoury characters who have a plethora of naughty words in their vocabulary, but is there a real need for the large amount of bad language that Rockstar put in it's games? I'm not so sure.

So, is Max Payne 3 any good? Yep. Worth the full price? Yep. Multi-player any good? Probably definitely, don't know, haven't tried it yet. Just get it, it's Max!

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]