Max Payne PC

9.1

1. MichaelS
    Jul 24, 2008
    I will stand by this forever as the best game I've ever played! An astonishing masterpiece that is frequently ripped off but will never be topped.
  2. ERB
    Aug 26, 2013
    This game is great.The game play is incredibly good and even the storyline is superbly great and interesting.And also this game is the game that introduce Bullet Time in gaming.So we should thank Remedy for introducing this cool effect in gaming and also for making this cool game.And not just that,MP1 is still better that MP2 and MP3.And I proclaim this game the best game I've ever playedThis game is great.The game play is incredibly good and even the storyline is superbly great and interesting.And also this game is the game that introduce Bullet Time in gaming.So we should thank Remedy for introducing this cool effect in gaming and also for making this cool game.And not just that,MP1 is still better that MP2 and MP3.And I proclaim this game the best game I've ever played and there are many reasons why I just said It.Best game forever! Expand
  3. Josie
    Nov 8, 2001
    Damn good.
  4. DaveD.
    Jul 27, 2006
    One of the best Games in Computer History.
  5. SpamHead
    Jan 4, 2002
    This game kicks ass.
  6. ShaunR.
    Oct 1, 2001
    No words can describe this game. It is a cross between the Matrix and Die Hard. This game is the best I have ever seen. Download the demo and see for yourself.
  7. Jan 17, 2012
    I played this game in August of 2011. Finished it in 7 hours, and it is a pretty difficult game. EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT story, which is the reason I plowed through this game. The gameplay however feels very dated! . 10/10 for the story, while it scores a 6 for gameplay.
  8. TimV.
    Feb 10, 2002
    This game is great! The best I have ever played! "Half-Life" doesn't even compare!
    Feb 9, 2002
    Hands down best game EVER. (Except it was too short!)
  10. JohnC.
    Jan 17, 2008
    A great game. Better than the Sequel.
  11. MattJ.
    Nov 24, 2001
    So good... it made me lose control of my bowels.
  12. Mike
    Apr 11, 2002
    This game is so awesome. The action is intense all the way to the end. The story is just like a classic revenge story. It brings the story in comic book fashion, which is somewhat comical because of the pictures. The story gives just enough reason for you to kill every baddie you can ,and I highly recommend getting this game.
  13. Oct 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the game that answers the poor control gameplay to the old Tomb Raider games. Without this awesome adventurous third-person shooter, there wouldn't be GTAIII and GTAIV and all other third-person shooter games from Remedy. Excellent graphics and gameplay made this game a huge hit. Expand
  14. Feb 3, 2011
    How much I love this game, it's fun, addicting, and still to this day it never gets old, no matter how many times I've played it, never gets boring. The best game I've ever played and I really hope they somehow pull a new sequel off as good as this one. Max Payne 2 on the other hand wasn't as good. This game is long, I tried speedrushing it once and took me around 12/15 hours in total soHow much I love this game, it's fun, addicting, and still to this day it never gets old, no matter how many times I've played it, never gets boring. The best game I've ever played and I really hope they somehow pull a new sequel off as good as this one. Max Payne 2 on the other hand wasn't as good. This game is long, I tried speedrushing it once and took me around 12/15 hours in total so this game isn't short. Theres also an easter egg if you complete and get onto the difficulties that are unlocked. I did all of them (except for New York Minute) and I did that in the 6 weeks holiday, you gotta be hardcore enough to get to the end of it. The easter egg on the other hand isn't the best thing in the world so dont expect anything huge. Just expect a small treat from the devs. Expand
  15. May 20, 2012
    A true masterpiece. Atmospheric (one of the best adaptations of the Unreal Engine), great development team, and challenging game play. The only downside I see with it is the excessive save times (up to four seconds for a quick save even on modern systems) when this is an otherwise fast paced game.
  16. Apr 13, 2011
    Nearly ten year ago the snowy rain fell on Hull like all the angels in heaven had decided to colloquially urinate at the same time. And so opened this innovative action adventure for me: I had a weekend to kill, it was snowing outside, and I had no heating. I didn't want the intellectually intensity of a strategy game, nor did I want to frenetic multitasking of a RTS. With a blanket on myNearly ten year ago the snowy rain fell on Hull like all the angels in heaven had decided to colloquially urinate at the same time. And so opened this innovative action adventure for me: I had a weekend to kill, it was snowing outside, and I had no heating. I didn't want the intellectually intensity of a strategy game, nor did I want to frenetic multitasking of a RTS. With a blanket on my legs, I sat down and completed this game in 10 hours without even a toilet break. And the first thing I did? Began again. After a toilet break.

Max Payne pitches perfect progressive difficulty. Action games can shouldn't - in my busy world - kill you more than three times at the same point more than three times in a game. You shouldn't be slugging through a game with a face as pained as Payne's permanently constipated expression. Instead you should be smiling appreciatively at just how awesome it feels to burst horizontally through a door (in slow motion) and expertly twisting through your hips as you innerringly shoot three baddies with your John Woo pistols before time jolts back into the present and all three baddies fall down at the same time. Whump.

This is not a serious game, but it is seriously evocative. The weapons, even now, feel powerful. I can remember a scene where a baddie hideing behind an apartment door unfortunately proclaims that he intends to shoot you as you come in. He doesn't, but you should, expect to leap towards him while simultaneously opening said door while unleashing a full shotgun blast to his chest that lifts him several feet in the air. You can almost hear Chuck, I mean Max, saying, "not today bozo."

These scenes occur tirelessly throughout the game. Face an impossible situation. Engage bullet time (copied from the Matrix). Shoot all enemies. Read film noir comics.

While the game itself is not so serious, what should be a series consideration is the known (and ongoing) compatibility issues with steam. Unfortunately the download can open fail to name the weapons file correctly which can result in the game simply not starting. While I managed to get it work (on occasion) you cannot expect Steam to help you out on this one. Much better to buy on amazon.

Fortunately the game gleefully leads you on a deeply humorous (if a little silly) adventure once you have got the thing working. The dialogue between the baddies is priceless. Not to mention the subplot of the Lords and Ladies TV series - "My Lord! My Lady! My Lord!" - which goes on for about twenty minutes if you halt your carnage to watch the many analogue TV sets scattered throughout the game. Take this game for what it is - a romping film-noir - and you'll find an outstandingly crafted adventure that is also a piece of gaming history.
  17. Sep 23, 2011
    the greatest noir game ever made!!! such immersion remains unparalleled in video game history. waiting excitedly for its 3rd part which i hope will the boundaries even more from this genre.
  18. May 2, 2012
    After years I went back and replayed this decade old gem. I found the storyline compelling and the game play was crisp and responsive. It is intresting to see how much games of today have lost. If you can get over the decade old graphics, you will find a solid 8 - 9 hours of game play here. Great game and great storyline.
  19. Nov 15, 2011
    The best game in my life since 2001. Great epic story, NY's noir, nice sound and Max Payne with GUN... oh my... I'm gonna play this game all night.
  20. Mar 3, 2012
    One of the best game ever! It's sad that modern games are not even half cool as were both Max Payne games.
    Thx Remedy for still working and releasing Alan Wake this year for PC!
  21. Jun 9, 2012
    I won't say much about a game this old, but I can't help but write a small review on this. This is one of the best shooter games ever, with awesome bullet time mechanics (which were new at the time), great voice acting and a spectacular noir story. If you haven't played it, you've missed a LOT.
  22. Jun 14, 2012
    This is the best third person shooter ever! At least for me. If you are attempting to play the game first time, you may find graphics of the game somewhat hilarious (specially relative the nowadays's graphical standards) at first. But after few minutes, you will be so soaked up in the game that you hardly want to stop playing. The story is too deep and I loved the art design even imperfectThis is the best third person shooter ever! At least for me. If you are attempting to play the game first time, you may find graphics of the game somewhat hilarious (specially relative the nowadays's graphical standards) at first. But after few minutes, you will be so soaked up in the game that you hardly want to stop playing. The story is too deep and I loved the art design even imperfect one. This is the best game of the series (although i haven't checked out the third one i'm dying to try it out). This game is a true classic and it deserves to be decorated in a museum as a classical piece of art. (probably it's too much! ;) ). Anyway, If you haven't played this game, i suggest you to be little patient and give it a try. Expand
  23. Sep 3, 2013
    A PC staple and perhaps the swan song of shooters. The story is engaging and strikes at the heart of all fans of noir style comics and film. The linear gameplay diminishes replay value, but that's only immediate. I come back to this game once every 6 months because I'll be home on a rainy day and the pitter patter of droplets on the window reminds me of Max Payne running through aA PC staple and perhaps the swan song of shooters. The story is engaging and strikes at the heart of all fans of noir style comics and film. The linear gameplay diminishes replay value, but that's only immediate. I come back to this game once every 6 months because I'll be home on a rainy day and the pitter patter of droplets on the window reminds me of Max Payne running through a vacant warehouse in bad weather. There's just nothing like it in my opinion. I had the chance of being 13 when this game came out. It was the perfect time to discover this game because it's stuck with me forever. What an impact on PC gaming. Expand
  24. Nov 19, 2013
    The first Max Payne is the best in my honest opinion. I just love the grim atmosphere, the story, everything.
    Graphics are overrated, it's all about the story and gameplay.
    Max Payne 1 is a prime example that companies with very limited budget make the best games.
  25. Sep 21, 2014
    Short, but very memorable and well-executed game experience. Neo-noir atmosphere, emotional story of revenge, dark mood, amazing music, fun gameplay and for it's time innovative bullet time slow motion mechanic. One of my favourite third person shooters. 9/10
  26. Jun 9, 2014
    Max Payne is an amazing game, which focus on the slow-but-awesome bullet-time action. Gameplay is awesome, the story is awesome, and voice acting is awesome, everything is awesome, well, except for the graphic. But if you only care about the outside beauty, you won't see the inside of one of the greatest story of gaming history.
  27. Sep 2, 2014
    One of the best games of all time in terms of story progression and voice acting. Sadly, it hasn't aged well. Definitely a masterpiece. I recommend it if you haven't played it before.
  28. PauP.
    Oct 19, 2001
    HL was better.
  29. JordanP.
    Oct 21, 2001
    This game is the best solo game, HL is a multi player game idiot, Max Payne is much better single player. Considering Max Payne isnt Multi if it was it would kick a$$!
  30. MondoV.
    Aug 27, 2001
    It's great. I've only had it for a day, and it's unbelievable!
  31. ZiggyStardust
    Oct 31, 2002
    Max Payne basically defines the term "one trick pony". Bullet time allows Max to slow down time and actually dodge bullets Matrix style. Cynical gamers say it's just another gimick to sell more games, but let me tell you, bullet time is an awesome trick. Max Payne is highly enjoyable all the way through. With no multiplayer, and a relativley short single player game, Max's only Max Payne basically defines the term "one trick pony". Bullet time allows Max to slow down time and actually dodge bullets Matrix style. Cynical gamers say it's just another gimick to sell more games, but let me tell you, bullet time is an awesome trick. Max Payne is highly enjoyable all the way through. With no multiplayer, and a relativley short single player game, Max's only real pitfall is it's replay value. Expand
  32. AshishB.
    Feb 22, 2002
    Absolutely the best game I've ever played!
  33. Tyler
    Mar 14, 2002
    Just got the Demo version and WOW! Great action but, unlike most FPS, you still have to think.
  34. MihaG.
    May 3, 2003
    This is, next to GTAIII, the best game I have ever played. "without the Bullet Time feature, is just a sleazy version of ..." Blah blah blah. Who cares? I spent half the game in bullet-time :) It is a great feature that makes this game better than the rest of its kind.
  35. JohnnyL.
    Jun 7, 2003
    That's not my real name or e-mail....but i still thought max payne is one hell of a game.
  36. Shaun
    May 29, 2004
    Just started to play the game again. think it is stunning. great game
  37. SouravM.
    Aug 12, 2005
    Great.
  38. AnonymousOne
    Dec 31, 2009
    One of the all-time greats in PC gaming. While many of the features of the Max Payne engine are standard fare today, they were revolutionary at its release. A great story, solid AI, Bullet Time and a cinematic playing environment still make this game an experience not to be missed.
  39. MarkP.
    Nov 13, 2001
    One great game. It's all that I have expected from 3D Realms.
  40. MartinK.
    Dec 26, 2001
    This game absolutely blew me away when I first played it, truly a masterpiece in its own right. Awesome.
  41. MaxP.
    Dec 27, 2001
    AMAZING! I played it for 11 hours in the first day! AWESOME!!!
  42. CurtisS.
    Apr 25, 2002
    This is the best game you will ever play in your entire life!!! !@#$ Siphon Filter!!!
  43. SanchezB.
    Nov 25, 2004
    Gee, GamePen sure does suck.
  44. AndyD.
    Dec 28, 2006
    Only one 3rd person shooter game is better than Max Payne, and that is Max Payne II.
  45. AwinS.
    May 22, 2006
    Excellent,simply excellent.It is a game which make your heart beat ten times faster.
  46. SHODAN
    Nov 10, 2007
    Refreshing game-play with storytelling that is well-written and executed with style. We get a glimpse in to the minds of characters - a thing seldom held to importance these days.
  47. CristianoM.
    May 11, 2007
    A very good game with some very frustrating dream sequences. For once, I can say that one sequel is superior to the original although, of course, the impact that the first installment of the series could offer to the player is unmatched.
  48. JamesH.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Deeply immersive and incredibly exciting...one of my all-time favourite games.
  49. NeoH.
    Dec 17, 2001
    This is the baddest game in the world. I have it on my PC and the first time I played it I was hooked. For all yall JACKASSES out there who gave this game a 9 or less yall must be really stupid or just don't understand great gaming. What Then..MAX PAYNE ROCKS.
  50. Aug 24, 2013
    It's 10 P.M. on Saturday 24 August 2013. Just finished Max Payne for the first time. UNBELIEVABLE. Cannot believe this one slipped past my radar. It cost less than £2 on Steam and I've been playing it every night for the last two weeks. This is possibly the best third person shooter of all time, and one of my new favourite games ever. Hard to believe one simple gameplay mechanic can makeIt's 10 P.M. on Saturday 24 August 2013. Just finished Max Payne for the first time. UNBELIEVABLE. Cannot believe this one slipped past my radar. It cost less than £2 on Steam and I've been playing it every night for the last two weeks. This is possibly the best third person shooter of all time, and one of my new favourite games ever. Hard to believe one simple gameplay mechanic can make such a difference to a game but flinging yourself around in bullet time is one of the most fun things you can do in a video game. This is the gold standard of action shooters. Expand
  51. Nov 18, 2012
    Max Payne for the PC is an amazing experience. If you enjoyed noire type films, mafia style themed movies or action pack movies you will enjoy this game. To add to the amazing storyline and characters, you have an amazing gameplay system implemented that gives you more control to the game than most other shooters which also paves way towards future shooting games. Get this game on SteamMax Payne for the PC is an amazing experience. If you enjoyed noire type films, mafia style themed movies or action pack movies you will enjoy this game. To add to the amazing storyline and characters, you have an amazing gameplay system implemented that gives you more control to the game than most other shooters which also paves way towards future shooting games. Get this game on Steam now which is available with its sequel. You will not regret it. Expand
  52. Oct 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To play an older game, you need to separate yourself from modern times. Look at it like you were still living in 2001. Pretend you haven't played the second game, or any of the 3D GTAs (considering this predates even GTA 3). But that isn't really possible.

So it's a good thing that this game was built on solid gameplay mechanics, and that the graphics are good enough so that, while they don't stand today, they aren't as bad as games from the PSX era, probably due to the fact that this is the first game to use textures pulled from real life (oh yeah, and it wasn't the PSX era anymore, duh). The constant grey corridors, grey snow, grey skyscraper interiors, grey comic cutscenes... do get tiresome after just a few hours of play, though. I think that there's an HD texture pack, though I didn't use it (unless it was included in an update).

This is (obviously) a PC review. If possible, get it on PC, because the Xbox version just doesn't hold water, and the PS2, even less. Just for this review, I played this whole game again on what many would call a "Facebook and YouTube PC". And guess what? On the highest settings, it ran like butter, holding an average of 60, and never dropping below 50 FPS, except for some very strange visual freezing during the very last level, and only in the end two minutes. Plus, getting it on PC means that you don't have to get out of your PJs and head over to the pawn shop to pick up a physical copy.

Gameplay. Good stuff. Again, try to forget Max Payne 2 and you will enjoy this immensely. You've heard it before, but I'll say it again; bullet time. This was the first game to use it, and many people remember this bullet time more than the Matrix rendition. Cool, right? Jump through the air in slow motion. Fire your (surprisingly inaccurate) Ingrams at a group of ten baddies. Kill 'em all with a pop to the noggin. Profit. The directional controls are mostly fine, but I did get stuck every once in a while on a box or corner when I shouldn't have. Since the keyboard only allows 8 directions, it would probably be better to play with a controller, though I didn't. And I don't even know if the DS4 is compatible.

In later levels, the enemies get extremely bullet sponge-y, surviving multiple shots to the head, even if those shots are jack hammer (basically a machine-shotgun) BBs. I've heard some people say that it's nice that the bosses "are just regular people" and only take as many shots as one of his goons. Not true. They usually are two-to-three times as tough.

Story. Good. Not the best. I've had better. It was pretty dark (for its time) and probably pretty controversial, what with a dead baby. But you can't forget modern day games, or even games that came out in the few years following this one. I personally grow tired of the comic-style cutscenes after two or so hours of play, which they have to rely on predominantly because they don't want to use in-game cutscenes because of the lack of the ability to animate peoples faces other than the occasional texture swaps. Oh yeah, no subtitles. Not good. I'm not hard of hearing, but I understand people better when, *gasp*, their mouths move. Lack of this, and lack of subtitles equals a lot of "what did he just say?"

Characters. The only character that I cared for was Max. Which is understandable, I feel. There was nothing to make me care about his wife or baby, just for him, and understanding his payne. Er, pain. That guy with his pants down? No idea why I had to kill him. Those three guys in the mansion, not a clue. That woman... Yeah, I got it. She had his wife and baby killed. But that was it.

I hate giving games scores, because that just makes it seem like a popular mobile game is as good as a AAA console game, which it isn't (that's OBJECTIVE, by the way, you don't have a brain until you realize the uselessness of Angry Birds), but for the sake of simple minded people who can't take five minutes to read someone's thoughts on a game, it gets an 8 out of 10.
  53. Dec 5, 2012
    Great game, the graphics are good for the time period which it was released. The gameplay is fun epically if you like slow motion combat. It is a fairly difficult game unless you decide to use quick save often . ( this is recommended). The story is also pretty good although it really doesn't do anything new or original. Max is a great main character and this is a great action game and aGreat game, the graphics are good for the time period which it was released. The gameplay is fun epically if you like slow motion combat. It is a fairly difficult game unless you decide to use quick save often . ( this is recommended). The story is also pretty good although it really doesn't do anything new or original. Max is a great main character and this is a great action game and a series worth checking into for any action fans. Expand
  54. Jan 11, 2013
    Best game ever, graphics story its great quality and most important part of the game, i finished at least 13 times, best game i played by far far far, probably in my opinion in the Top 50 games of all time, masterpiece
  55. Apr 19, 2015
    Excellent atmosphere, story nicely told. Hard game. Ambushes are ridiculous even when you are expecting them. Grenades are sometimes nearly impossible to dodge. Cautious or not, you will die countless times on your first playthrough on the easiest difficulty. This subtracts 2 points from a score of 10. Some people say it is more realistinc than most shooters, that's why you can die from aExcellent atmosphere, story nicely told. Hard game. Ambushes are ridiculous even when you are expecting them. Grenades are sometimes nearly impossible to dodge. Cautious or not, you will die countless times on your first playthrough on the easiest difficulty. This subtracts 2 points from a score of 10. Some people say it is more realistinc than most shooters, that's why you can die from a single shot. It's true, but then - why would goons in the last chapter consistently survive 2-3 point-blank shots with a shotgun?
    8/10 because of the ridiculous ambushes and diffuculty.
  56. Aug 20, 2013
    this game was the one that paved the way to third person shooter games outstanding story descent game play and amazing music that sets you in the atmosphere a true masterpiece
  57. Dec 27, 2013
    For a game that's over 10 years old it still holds up really well. Sure some of the graphics will make you laugh, but the story is fantastic and bullet time is pretty much the best thing ever. The game has a self adjusting skill level so you shouldn't find it too easy or too hard. Granted some parts are still insanely tricky and at times the AI can be a little too good at predicting whereFor a game that's over 10 years old it still holds up really well. Sure some of the graphics will make you laugh, but the story is fantastic and bullet time is pretty much the best thing ever. The game has a self adjusting skill level so you shouldn't find it too easy or too hard. Granted some parts are still insanely tricky and at times the AI can be a little too good at predicting where you are. As someone who's never played this before I'm glad I did, even after all these years. Expand
  58. Apr 28, 2013
    Spent many a late night enjoying Max Payne. This game stepped it up where others failed. One of the standards most currents and futures are sure to take notes from.
  59. Jul 1, 2013
    Max Payne has enormous "margin of safety" even nasty management can not spoil this excellent game. Russian is available on the iOS version with an all pereozvuchennymi dialogues and comics. It is worse than the original, but for the owners of smartphones do not speak English this is the ideal opportunity to see the classic games. Moreover, that in May, is a long-awaited blockbuster Max Payne 3.
  60. Jun 4, 2013
    Max Payne is a great action game. It has Good story.The game play is also good. The only problem with the game is that is short. The best thing about the game BULLET TIME.
  61. Jun 7, 2013
    Ever wanted to be in a John Woo Move? Well Max Payne is for you. Long story short, your a DEA Agent framed for the murder of your partner, yeah, I'd be pissed off to, so what do you do? Just like a John Woo Movie, whip out your Akimbo pistols and blow the hell out of any bad guy in your path, but only in slow motion. Graphics wise this game hasn't aged well at all. Gameplay wise this guyEver wanted to be in a John Woo Move? Well Max Payne is for you. Long story short, your a DEA Agent framed for the murder of your partner, yeah, I'd be pissed off to, so what do you do? Just like a John Woo Movie, whip out your Akimbo pistols and blow the hell out of any bad guy in your path, but only in slow motion. Graphics wise this game hasn't aged well at all. Gameplay wise this guy has yet to become boring for me. Pretty satisfying to dive into a room of enemys with a pump action shotgun and blow away. Expand
  62. Nov 1, 2013
    To this day no game has gripped me like "Max Payne". I remember I got this one Friday afternoon and had it beat by Sunday morning. Yes I did spend most waking hours playing it, but that is a testament to the game's story. I rarely find myself addicted to a game's story. I rarely find myself wanting to know where the story goes. In games, plot does take a backseat to game play for me. ButTo this day no game has gripped me like "Max Payne". I remember I got this one Friday afternoon and had it beat by Sunday morning. Yes I did spend most waking hours playing it, but that is a testament to the game's story. I rarely find myself addicted to a game's story. I rarely find myself wanting to know where the story goes. In games, plot does take a backseat to game play for me. But "Max Payne" got it right. It's short enough not to lose focus from beginning to end, but long enough to become a deep and immersive experience. The game's pacing is flawless. The style by which the story is told graphic comic strip narrated by the hard-boiled Payne is also perfect and adds much to the game's style an atmosphere.

The much-hyped slow motion aspect of the game is simply the icing on the cake. There is nothing like jumping into a room gun in each hand in slow motion and re-enacting your favourite John Woo action scene. Nothing. It is true that the A.I. isn't the small tool in the box, but what lack in brains they make up for in numbers. The vast selection of weapons is also impressive, though I have myself found myself going through the entire game using only handguns except when other guns are essential to the objective. But that's just the Woo fan in me.

The graphics were jaw-dropping at the time and are still damn impressive today. There was times when I was simply amazed at the details: if you got the camera right behind Max's shoulder you could see the micro-fabrics of his jacket and the singular strands of his hair. Bullet hits were also impressive both visually and in their restraint. They remind me a lot of Exley's shotgun massacre in "L.A. Confidential". Debris flies over the place but not in an over-the-top Woo or "Matrix" way. This helps retain the gritty realism the makers were striving for.

"Max Payne" is derivate of a lot of works and is quite clichéd, but it is executed with style, atmosphere and an immense level of game-making professionalism that makes it an experience unlike any other. Put film noir, John Woo and "The Matrix" into mixer and "Max Payne" is probably what you get. And it's one hell of a The game is thrilling, visceral and explosive. What more could you want in an action game?

And... I will never those first scenes and the Metro first level... Whenever I take the subway, I think of Max Payne Wow Some scars left...
  63. Nov 24, 2013
    For me this is the most memorable game I've played for the reason of having a most memorable character and gameplay. One can relate to the protagonist throughout the game no matter which situation he finds himself in. Remedy have done an excellent job in their basement and creative use of comics/animations worked a treat. Having come from a demo scene background Remedy had particularlyFor me this is the most memorable game I've played for the reason of having a most memorable character and gameplay. One can relate to the protagonist throughout the game no matter which situation he finds himself in. Remedy have done an excellent job in their basement and creative use of comics/animations worked a treat. Having come from a demo scene background Remedy had particularly sharp eye to detail and know-how for working under limited hardware/funding conditions. Sam Lake managed to write a great script for the game and Max's character. His quotes are almost poetry like and the humour is both funny and clever. Expand
  64. Mar 5, 2015
    Max Payne, game from 2001 but in 2015 it is still brilliant third person shooter. I quite like Max Payne 3 so I bought this and I was not disappointed.
  65. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is simply badass!
    No one can pull off the leather trench coat look and relentless combat skills like Max Payne
    Game play is flawless Graphic Novels have the perfect artistic style for the games mood Graphics for its time were unreal (still good for today) The combination of story telling/third person narrative is just incredible and is so immersing that it is as if you are
    This game is simply badass!

Game play is flawless
    Graphic Novels have the perfect artistic style for the games mood
    Graphics for its time were unreal (still good for today)
    The combination of story telling/third person narrative is just incredible and is so immersing that it is as if you are in the game itself.

Even to this day I still leave this in my top 10.
    Its going to be hard finding a game like this again.
  66. Feb 8, 2014
    one of the best games i ever played its have a lot of weapon choices very smooth visuals simple controls and **** AWESOME story line when i finished the game i felt like the ****g king of the world the story got stuck in my brain for days and i liked that
  67. Feb 22, 2014
    One of my personal, all-time favorite games!
    Dark, gritty, violent, tragic and memorable.
    One of my personal, all-time favorite games!
    Dark, gritty, violent, tragic and memorable.

If the neo-noir, tragedy story following a shattered and broken, NYPD detective as he pursues a bloody vendetta that leads him through a dark, gritty representaton of New York's criminal underbelly to find answers behind the murder of his wife and new-born child isn't enough to entice you, the rewarding, high-caliber gunplay and fantastic use of the bullet-time mechanic certainly will.
  68. Mar 15, 2014
    One of the greatest, most well written stories/dialogue/monologue in gaming history.
    It may not have aged very well, but at the time, this game was big, looked great and was innovative. The character of Max Payne, in this game is unparalleled by any other. The graphic novel bits are just genius.
  69. Oct 24, 2014
    Awesome game. It's now on steam which is where I got it from, play it now it's a great game. Sure the graphics look dated but the game play holds up very well.
  70. Jun 4, 2014
    Easily one of the best action shooters of it's time and offers a great story with great voice acting. It also presents the bullet-time feature which made this game a really enjoyable experience. It has everything a great game needs. Unfortunatley I cannot play this game on steam anymore because I have to a have a specific driver for my video card and that is annoying because it is fun toEasily one of the best action shooters of it's time and offers a great story with great voice acting. It also presents the bullet-time feature which made this game a really enjoyable experience. It has everything a great game needs. Unfortunatley I cannot play this game on steam anymore because I have to a have a specific driver for my video card and that is annoying because it is fun to replay this game on the hardest difficulty because it offers a great challenge. Unfortunatley I cannot start the game on steam anymore and I want to play this game today so do that I have to get a older video card driver to play it and that is not worth it. I hope they fix this somehow or my only option is to pirate a working Max Payne that has not issues with modern video card drivers, or if there are any games left avaiable to buy in a store cheap. Expand
  71. Jun 10, 2014
    Bajo mi punto de vista cuando se habla de la narrativa en los videojuegos y cómo choca narrativa con jugabilidad siempre este me parece el mejor ejemplo de que se puede conseguir armonía. Sin duda una de las grandes historias del videojuego que además popularizó el tiempo bala. Tal vez ha envejecido mal, pero sigue siendo una de la joyas infravaloras de la historia.
  72. Dec 11, 2014
    Max Payne is an action game developed by Remedy studio and published by GOD Games and 3D Realms. The story follows Max Payne, a cop in the great city of New York. The game tells the story in a way not seen in games too, the comic. The graphics is also good for that time and managed to not give you a headache after a few hours of play .. The sound is also very good game. Main characterMax Payne is an action game developed by Remedy studio and published by GOD Games and 3D Realms. The story follows Max Payne, a cop in the great city of New York. The game tells the story in a way not seen in games too, the comic. The graphics is also good for that time and managed to not give you a headache after a few hours of play .. The sound is also very good game. Main character voice acting is very good even caught my attention. The soundtrack of the game is as good, even fits into the world of Max Payne. Gameplay is awesomehonestly now I've seen what many people say "most games in these years are pretty easy." I think I died at least 100 times in the storyline. In conclusion the game worth trying, is very good. Expand
  73. Nov 18, 2014
    This was the best gaming experience of my life so far. I played thorugh it straight in one sit down, drinking coke and immersed in this great story was a blast. I sincerely hope I will feel this again in my life. amazing
  74. SomeUser
    Oct 5, 2009
    Many hours of fast-paced action and great story. Unique noir movie-like setting and heart-touching events. Comic-screens are awesome and just better than videos in other games. A masterpiece.
  75. Jun 6, 2012
    This is one of the greats. It may not match up to expectations of todays gamers but it was truely amazing for its time. I thoroughly enjoyed playing Max Payne.
  76. CodyB
    Jun 18, 2009
    JustRPG & gamepen are SERIOUSLY inexperienced and unproffessional game reviewers. They have absolutly no idea what makes an epic storyline so memorable & revolutionary (probably because they never actually took the time & patience to get into the max payne storyline and understand it, they assume it isn't a good game and think it isn't, or maybe they're just complete JustRPG & gamepen are SERIOUSLY inexperienced and unproffessional game reviewers. They have absolutly no idea what makes an epic storyline so memorable & revolutionary (probably because they never actually took the time & patience to get into the max payne storyline and understand it, they assume it isn't a good game and think it isn't, or maybe they're just complete dumbasses). Max payne is one of the best 3rd person shooters out there and deserved every one of thos awards (including BAFTA awards, the oscars of gaming) for revolutionizing 3D shooters and well-crafted storytelling. Not to mention the best new york city graphics in any game EVER. This genre-defining treat is an experience unlike many others, you take on the role on max payne, a cop who lost his wife and daughter to junkies connected to the mafia, then 3 years later, your'e framed for the murder of your best friend; memorable moments & jaw-dropping plot twists in this overwhelmingly popular video game. Max payne himself is THE ultimate badass of videogaming (next to solid snake, dante, & kratos) Expand
  77. Mar 29, 2012
    Max Payne is one of the greatest examples of a developer taking a video game seriously, and that they, too, can be a form of art. With it's amazing writing, top-notch voice acting, and one of the best combat systems in a PC game at the time, it's easy to see why Max Payne was such a hit.
  78. May 12, 2012
    This has got to be one of the hardest games I have ever finished... but it is also one of the greatest.
    Remedy made a masterpiece, they brought us Bullet Time in Max Payne which is a mechanic that works perfectly and it's totally **** awesome!
    The game has one of the best storylines I have ever saw and the way the game tells the story is one of the most original ways I have seen in a long time.
    The game has no mercy; difficulty wise and story wise, I had many times that the game made me drop my jaw or just smile at how awesome the game is.
    The sound design is excellent, the graphics are amazing for it's time and the art style is very nice.
    This is now probably one of my top favorite games.
  79. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    The first chapter of one of the most epic trilogies in the entire history of videogames and the one game that instilled the love for Third Person Shooters in me.
  80. Praetor
    Oct 14, 2008
    This is one of my favorite games of all time to this day, a treat to play. Hoping for a Max Payne 3.
  81. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm surprised I never played Max Payne until now--what a treat. A third person shooter with an intriguing story, engaging narrative, and excellent music. The game play is on the linear side, but there are a decent variety of weapons and the slow motion evasion really makes killing bad guys fun. Although not completely horrible, the game does suffer from dated graphics, but it was nice toI'm surprised I never played Max Payne until now--what a treat. A third person shooter with an intriguing story, engaging narrative, and excellent music. The game play is on the linear side, but there are a decent variety of weapons and the slow motion evasion really makes killing bad guys fun. Although not completely horrible, the game does suffer from dated graphics, but it was nice to see it at least had support for widescreen resolutions.

I do have to say the game was overly difficult, even on easy, which kind of killed some of the enjoyment. The AI had precise aim combined with unbelievable reaction times even against a seasoned gamer. With the help of the QuickSave feature, I painfully made my way through it. I think the only piece that was missing from the game was calling the pills "Paynekillers."

Despite its faults, Max Payne is a true classic--definitely worth your time. NOTE: Check the Steam forums for a sound fix on Vista and Windows 7 operating systems.
  82. Apr 15, 2012
    The game is truly magnificent, the atmosphere feels true like your in an actual life and death situation as a rouge police officer. The game is very fast-paced and the story line is very convincing. Let me just say that the game is a brilliant masterpiece! Hand down
    -the-epikninja
  83. May 26, 2012
    BEAST GAME .. I LOVE THIS GAME ...... SO AWESOME STORY ACTION AND I DON'T HOW MUCH GOODNESS MAN .. ITS THE GAME WHICH MADE ME ITS Faan!!!! ... Infinite/10 ..... One love for it .
  84. Mar 19, 2013
    ONE OF THE BEST GAMES OF ALL TIME, Story:10/10, Graphics:9/10(max looks retarded), Gameplay:10/10. BEST GAME IVE EVER PLAYED BUY IT GODAMN IT OR ILL COME YOUR HOUSE AND BEAT THE LIVING OUT OF YOUR PC, just kidding :D
  85. AlvaroD.
    Feb 12, 2002
    This is undoubtedly the best PC action game I have ever played. My advice: go buy it. Now.
  86. c3p
    Apr 27, 2013
    The onlz game if played more than 3 times. It's amazing, showed me how great the Film Noir is and I will probably come back to this incredible good game every few years for the rest of my life!
  87. Topher
    Aug 23, 2001
    Pha-nizzel sha-nizzel (really really good).
  88. Jan 8, 2013
    New York usually is a main setting for FPS shooters and stuff but Max Payne delivers the best. The Bullet Time strategy is as good as the Slide-shoot technique in Crysis and the graphics are gorgeous and make Grand Theft Auto IV look something like a pixelated background. Th difference between the Max Payne series and the Call of Duty series is that it delivers a better campaign and aNew York usually is a main setting for FPS shooters and stuff but Max Payne delivers the best. The Bullet Time strategy is as good as the Slide-shoot technique in Crysis and the graphics are gorgeous and make Grand Theft Auto IV look something like a pixelated background. Th difference between the Max Payne series and the Call of Duty series is that it delivers a better campaign and a better system in shooting. Expand
  89. Feb 12, 2013
    story well the game is called 'max payne' so it centers around his life story, he is a detective in nyc. basically, he tries to find out who killed his wife and why.

gameplay the controls are solid in the game like all 3rd person shooters. it first introduced the 'bullet time' which was inspired by the movie' hard boiled'. it did a great job with it. most everything is pretty fast paced you use painkillers to heal on the go and lots of guns to use. video the graphics are great for its time. great animations and detail. audio the music sets the mood and gun effects are great.

overall a great game one of the best released. and it introduced some new gameplay. it has lots to give for being an action 3rd person shooter. usually these types of games don't give good story but this one is different.
  90. Technicha
    Apr 20, 2009
    A game with such a great storyline. It tells it in a way that's very different from other games. I would have given this a 10 if it weren't for the flawed AI. They shoot you instantly on sight which makes the game play so much harder than it needs to be. The only way to get through the game sometimes is to open from a saved game and die. Then open it again and act differently A game with such a great storyline. It tells it in a way that's very different from other games. I would have given this a 10 if it weren't for the flawed AI. They shoot you instantly on sight which makes the game play so much harder than it needs to be. The only way to get through the game sometimes is to open from a saved game and die. Then open it again and act differently until you get through. Apart from that it's a great game. Expand
  91. Jun 5, 2015
    "Fear That Gives Men Wings". Dark, touching and fantastic story. Gameplay was incredible for 2001. Still getting goose bumps. This game is immortal. At least in my memory =)
  92. May 21, 2015
  93. Jul 8, 2015
    - Good: Gameplay, Story, Atmosphere/Mood, Setting,
    - Mixed: Linear
    - Bad: ---

Very solid game, but i enjoyed more Max Payne 2 story. Atmosphere is superb.
  94. Jul 22, 2015
    The most addictive, story driven, third person shooter I have ever played. I bought this for xbox, pc, and most recently iphone. I have given Rockstar money for this one game three times; It's just that good.

1. A great FPS. The most serious problem we have with the game is stability – we lost all of our save games at one point, and experienced random freezes fairly frequently.
    In the style of PC Gamer's David Manningesque vocabulary, Max Payne is the most forgettable action game in history. (I exaggerate, of course. It's only the most forgettable action game of the year.)
  3. Its predominant flaw is that it whets our appetite for something unimaginably amazing but only fulfills half of that unveiled promise.