9.1

1. Oct 24, 2014
    Awesome game. It's now on steam which is where I got it from, play it now it's a great game. Sure the graphics look dated but the game play holds up very well.
  2. Sep 21, 2014
    Short, but very memorable and well-executed game experience. Neo-noir atmosphere, emotional story of revenge, dark mood, amazing music, fun gameplay and for it's time innovative bullet time slow motion mechanic. One of my favourite third person shooters. 9/10
  3. Sep 2, 2014
    One of the best games of all time in terms of story progression and voice acting. Sadly, it hasn't aged well. Definitely a masterpiece. I recommend it if you haven't played it before.
  4. Aug 14, 2014
    Max Payne has aged horribly, and that's a bad thing.

Real critics across films, games, and music will tell you that true masterpieces stand the test of time. Max Payne is not one of them, and certainly never was to begin with.

The graphics are the worst offender of the aging process. Being a early PS2 title, this is obviously expected, but the art style of Max Payne does zero
    justice to make this game even remotely appealing to the eye. The "dark and gritty" color pallet combined with the washed out textures make everything look like mud.

If you're not a fan of the art style, prepare to endure the same repeated textures throughout the entire game. The first hour of the game is walking through the same exact gray and bland apartment buildings with a rusty colored carpet to match. The problem with the graphics and art style also translate directly to the gameplay. The levels have no variety. As I said, the same boring apartment buildings over and over, with a little bit of outside gameplay. Did I mention it's always nighttime and snowing? And if that doesn't already sound unpleasant, toss in a few generic, mindless mafia goons to get in your way of boring environment to the next.

The AI, predictably, is terrible. Of course, this game was made in 2001 and but it doesn't take much to look back and find plenty of games with vastly superior AI. Doom, 1993, had nine varieties of enemies. They threw fireballs at you, they flanked you, if they got close they would melee you. In Max Payne, there's absolutely ZERO enemy variety except for the standard goon and the buffed up "boss" goons which are the exact same aside from being bullet sponges.

The story, nearly as generic as they come. Standard story about revenge that you can find in any form of media before Max Payne. It doesn't help the story is told through interactables you have to find throughout the level, if you don't, that's too bad. In one point during the game you're forced to play a "dream sequence" where your patience and frustration are tested. You must wander through a maze of hallways and then finally follow misleading blood trails floating over a death pit. These sections take around twenty minutes to complete and do nothing for the gameplay or story whatsoever.

Music, did I mention there wasn't any? The voice acting is also as generic as they come. Stereotypical "mafia goon" voices for all the copy and pasted enemies and bosses. It's mediocre at best, nothing to write home about.

But in the end, it comes down to gameplay. And if the gameplay doesn't stack up, it's not a good game. And in this case, it's one of the worst I've ever played. Bullet time is absolutely useless. You're still vulnerable while using it and it gives you about a 5% chance to dodge bullets. It slows down the action and is never a benefit for the player. It's a gimmick, really. The guns have somewhat variety. There's only really three distinct weapons and they are the UZI, the shotgun, and the sniper. The rest act the same as their counterparts. And to go back to my previous point, all of the action takes place in copy and pasted hallways, bland environments, completely uninteresting levels.

Max Payne also lacks a checkpoint feature. You must quicksave before every room you open unless you want to be treated to a random, instantaneous death. The game is completely linear with little to no exploration, choices, or variety so replay value is severely low.

Lastly, the game is a chore to play, and one of the most overrated games/franchises of all time.

In other words, it's a Payne in the ass.

Lewis
  5. Jun 10, 2014
    Bajo mi punto de vista cuando se habla de la narrativa en los videojuegos y cómo choca narrativa con jugabilidad siempre este me parece el mejor ejemplo de que se puede conseguir armonía. Sin duda una de las grandes historias del videojuego que además popularizó el tiempo bala. Tal vez ha envejecido mal, pero sigue siendo una de la joyas infravaloras de la historia.
  6. Jun 9, 2014
    Max Payne is an amazing game, which focus on the slow-but-awesome bullet-time action. Gameplay is awesome, the story is awesome, and voice acting is awesome, everything is awesome, well, except for the graphic. But if you only care about the outside beauty, you won't see the inside of one of the greatest story of gaming history.
  7. Jun 4, 2014
    Easily one of the best action shooters of it's time and offers a great story with great voice acting. It also presents the bullet-time feature which made this game a really enjoyable experience. It has everything a great game needs. Unfortunatley I cannot play this game on steam anymore because I have to a have a specific driver for my video card and that is annoying because it is fun to replay this game on the hardest difficulty because it offers a great challenge. Unfortunatley I cannot start the game on steam anymore and I want to play this game today so do that I have to get a older video card driver to play it and that is not worth it. I hope they fix this somehow or my only option is to pirate a working Max Payne that has not issues with modern video card drivers, or if there are any games left avaiable to buy in a store cheap. Expand
  8. Mar 15, 2014
    One of the greatest, most well written stories/dialogue/monologue in gaming history.
    It may not have aged very well, but at the time, this game was big, looked great and was innovative. The character of Max Payne, in this game is unparalleled by any other. The graphic novel bits are just genius.
  9. Feb 22, 2014
    One of my personal, all-time favorite games!
    Dark, gritty, violent, tragic and memorable.

If the neo-noir, tragedy story following a shattered and broken, NYPD detective as he pursues a bloody vendetta that leads him through a dark, gritty representaton of New York's criminal underbelly to find answers behind the murder of his wife and new-born child isn't enough to entice you, the
    rewarding, high-caliber gunplay and fantastic use of the bullet-time mechanic certainly will. Expand
  10. Feb 18, 2014
    This game is simply badass! No one can pull off the leather trench coat look and relentless combat skills like Max Payne Game play is flawless Graphic Novels have the perfect artistic style for the games mood Graphics for its time were unreal (still good for today) The combination of story telling/third person narrative is just incredible and is so immersing that it is as if you are in the game itself.

Even to this day I still leave this in my top 10.
    Its going to be hard finding a game like this again.
  11. Feb 8, 2014
    one of the best games i ever played its have a lot of weapon choices very smooth visuals simple controls and **** AWESOME story line when i finished the game i felt like the ****g king of the world the story got stuck in my brain for days and i liked that
  12. Dec 27, 2013
    For a game that's over 10 years old it still holds up really well. Sure some of the graphics will make you laugh, but the story is fantastic and bullet time is pretty much the best thing ever. The game has a self adjusting skill level so you shouldn't find it too easy or too hard. Granted some parts are still insanely tricky and at times the AI can be a little too good at predicting where you are. As someone who's never played this before I'm glad I did, even after all these years. Expand
  13. Nov 24, 2013
    For me this is the most memorable game I've played for the reason of having a most memorable character and gameplay. One can relate to the protagonist throughout the game no matter which situation he finds himself in. Remedy have done an excellent job in their basement and creative use of comics/animations worked a treat. Having come from a demo scene background Remedy had particularly sharp eye to detail and know-how for working under limited hardware/funding conditions. Sam Lake managed to write a great script for the game and Max's character. His quotes are almost poetry like and the humour is both funny and clever. Expand
  14. Nov 19, 2013
    The first Max Payne is the best in my honest opinion. I just love the grim atmosphere, the story, everything.
    Graphics are overrated, it's all about the story and gameplay.
    Max Payne 1 is a prime example that companies with very limited budget make the best games.
  15. Nov 1, 2013
    To this day no game has gripped me like "Max Payne". I remember I got this one Friday afternoon and had it beat by Sunday morning. Yes I did spend most waking hours playing it, but that is a testament to the game's story. I rarely find myself addicted to a game's story. I rarely find myself wanting to know where the story goes. In games, plot does take a backseat to game play for me. But "Max Payne" got it right. It's short enough not to lose focus from beginning to end, but long enough to become a deep and immersive experience. The game's pacing is flawless. The style by which the story is told graphic comic strip narrated by the hard-boiled Payne is also perfect and adds much to the game's style an atmosphere.

The much-hyped slow motion aspect of the game is simply the icing on the cake. There is nothing like jumping into a room gun in each hand in slow motion and re-enacting your favourite John Woo action scene. Nothing. It is true that the A.I. isn't the small tool in the box, but what lack in brains they make up for in numbers. The vast selection of weapons is also impressive, though I have myself found myself going through the entire game using only handguns except when other guns are essential to the objective. But that's just the Woo fan in me.

The graphics were jaw-dropping at the time and are still damn impressive today. There was times when I was simply amazed at the details: if you got the camera right behind Max's shoulder you could see the micro-fabrics of his jacket and the singular strands of his hair. Bullet hits were also impressive both visually and in their restraint. They remind me a lot of Exley's shotgun massacre in "L.A. Confidential". Debris flies over the place but not in an over-the-top Woo or "Matrix" way. This helps retain the gritty realism the makers were striving for.

"Max Payne" is derivate of a lot of works and is quite clichéd, but it is executed with style, atmosphere and an immense level of game-making professionalism that makes it an experience unlike any other. Put film noir, John Woo and "The Matrix" into mixer and "Max Payne" is probably what you get. And it's one hell of a The game is thrilling, visceral and explosive. What more could you want in an action game?

And... I will never those first scenes and the Metro first level... Whenever I take the subway, I think of Max Payne Wow Some scars left...
  16. Sep 3, 2013
    A PC staple and perhaps the swan song of shooters. The story is engaging and strikes at the heart of all fans of noir style comics and film. The linear gameplay diminishes replay value, but that's only immediate. I come back to this game once every 6 months because I'll be home on a rainy day and the pitter patter of droplets on the window reminds me of Max Payne running through a vacant warehouse in bad weather. There's just nothing like it in my opinion. I had the chance of being 13 when this game came out. It was the perfect time to discover this game because it's stuck with me forever. What an impact on PC gaming. Expand
  17. ERB
    Aug 26, 2013
    This game is great.The game play is incredibly good and even the storyline is superbly great and interesting.And also this game is the game that introduce Bullet Time in gaming.So we should thank Remedy for introducing this cool effect in gaming and also for making this cool game.And not just that,MP1 is still better that MP2 and MP3.And I proclaim this game the best game I've ever played and there are many reasons why I just said It.Best game forever! Expand
  18. Aug 24, 2013
    It's 10 P.M. on Saturday 24 August 2013. Just finished Max Payne for the first time. UNBELIEVABLE. Cannot believe this one slipped past my radar. It cost less than £2 on Steam and I've been playing it every night for the last two weeks. This is possibly the best third person shooter of all time, and one of my new favourite games ever. Hard to believe one simple gameplay mechanic can make such a difference to a game but flinging yourself around in bullet time is one of the most fun things you can do in a video game. This is the gold standard of action shooters. Expand
  19. Aug 20, 2013
    this game was the one that paved the way to third person shooter games outstanding story descent game play and amazing music that sets you in the atmosphere a true masterpiece
  20. Aug 4, 2013
    Bullet time odlično izveden, priča je fenomenalna, soundtrack također, grafika koliko je mogla...........................................................
  21. Jul 1, 2013
    Max Payne has enormous "margin of safety" even nasty management can not spoil this excellent game. Russian is available on the iOS version with an all pereozvuchennymi dialogues and comics. It is worse than the original, but for the owners of smartphones do not speak English this is the ideal opportunity to see the classic games. Moreover, that in May, is a long-awaited blockbuster Max Payne 3.
  22. Jun 7, 2013
    Ever wanted to be in a John Woo Move? Well Max Payne is for you. Long story short, your a DEA Agent framed for the murder of your partner, yeah, I'd be pissed off to, so what do you do? Just like a John Woo Movie, whip out your Akimbo pistols and blow the hell out of any bad guy in your path, but only in slow motion. Graphics wise this game hasn't aged well at all. Gameplay wise this guy has yet to become boring for me. Pretty satisfying to dive into a room of enemys with a pump action shotgun and blow away. Expand
  23. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    The first chapter of one of the most epic trilogies in the entire history of videogames and the one game that instilled the love for Third Person Shooters in me.
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    Max Payne is a great action game. It has Good story.The game play is also good. The only problem with the game is that is short. The best thing about the game BULLET TIME.
  25. Apr 28, 2013
    Spent many a late night enjoying Max Payne. This game stepped it up where others failed. One of the standards most currents and futures are sure to take notes from.
  26. c3p
    Apr 27, 2013
    The onlz game if played more than 3 times. It's amazing, showed me how great the Film Noir is and I will probably come back to this incredible good game every few years for the rest of my life!
  27. Mar 23, 2013
    11 years after I first played this film noir-shooter, I'm afraid I find this game has not aged well. No widescreen, low poly models, and low res textures. Animations are rudimentary and the plot is so-so. What you do get is a nice comic, some extremely good voice acting and a slow-motion button. If you think that's enough to keep you interested despite it's shortcomings, then go ahead. Otherwise I'd suggest you don't listen to the nostalgia crowd and pass up on this one! (Hell, some of these reviews are 12 years old...) Expand
  28. Mar 19, 2013
    ONE OF THE BEST GAMES OF ALL TIME, Story:10/10, Graphics:9/10(max looks retarded), Gameplay:10/10. BEST GAME IVE EVER PLAYED BUY IT GODAMN IT OR ILL COME YOUR HOUSE AND BEAT THE LIVING OUT OF YOUR PC, just kidding :D
  29. Feb 12, 2013
    story well the game is called 'max payne' so it centers around his life story, he is a detective in nyc. basically, he tries to find out who killed his wife and why.

gameplay the controls are solid in the game like all 3rd person shooters. it first introduced the 'bullet time' which was inspired by the movie' hard boiled'. it did a great job with it. most everything is pretty fast
    paced you use painkillers to heal on the go and lots of guns to use. video the graphics are great for its time. great animations and detail. audio the music sets the mood and gun effects are great.

overall a great game one of the best released. and it introduced some new gameplay. it has lots to give for being an action 3rd person shooter. usually these types of games don't give good story but this one is different.
  30. Jan 11, 2013
    Best game ever, graphics story its great quality and most important part of the game, i finished at least 13 times, best game i played by far far far, probably in my opinion in the Top 50 games of all time, masterpiece
  31. Jan 8, 2013
    New York usually is a main setting for FPS shooters and stuff but Max Payne delivers the best. The Bullet Time strategy is as good as the Slide-shoot technique in Crysis and the graphics are gorgeous and make Grand Theft Auto IV look something like a pixelated background. Th difference between the Max Payne series and the Call of Duty series is that it delivers a better campaign and a better system in shooting. Expand
  32. Dec 13, 2012
    The sequel is superior, don't even bother with this one. I played the second one first; even though it reuses some characters, the plot is a lot stronger than this one's and stands on it's own two feet. The original's plot is completely ridiculous, tedious, repetitive, and almost offensively bad. Just play the second one and skip this.
  33. Dec 5, 2012
    Great game, the graphics are good for the time period which it was released. The gameplay is fun epically if you like slow motion combat. It is a fairly difficult game unless you decide to use quick save often . ( this is recommended). The story is also pretty good although it really doesn't do anything new or original. Max is a great main character and this is a great action game and a series worth checking into for any action fans. Expand
  34. Nov 18, 2012
    Max Payne for the PC is an amazing experience. If you enjoyed noire type films, mafia style themed movies or action pack movies you will enjoy this game. To add to the amazing storyline and characters, you have an amazing gameplay system implemented that gives you more control to the game than most other shooters which also paves way towards future shooting games. Get this game on Steam now which is available with its sequel. You will not regret it. Expand
  35. Jul 7, 2012
    Max Payne is a good game. The bullet time is awesome. Sounds, storyline are okay. The graphics was good when the game released in 2001. The only problem is not enough 1 bullet in to the enemies head to die.
  36. Jun 14, 2012
    This is the best third person shooter ever! At least for me. If you are attempting to play the game first time, you may find graphics of the game somewhat hilarious (specially relative the nowadays's graphical standards) at first. But after few minutes, you will be so soaked up in the game that you hardly want to stop playing. The story is too deep and I loved the art design even imperfect one. This is the best game of the series (although i haven't checked out the third one i'm dying to try it out). This game is a true classic and it deserves to be decorated in a museum as a classical piece of art. (probably it's too much! ;) ). Anyway, If you haven't played this game, i suggest you to be little patient and give it a try. Expand
  37. Jun 9, 2012
    I won't say much about a game this old, but I can't help but write a small review on this. This is one of the best shooter games ever, with awesome bullet time mechanics (which were new at the time), great voice acting and a spectacular noir story. If you haven't played it, you've missed a LOT.
  38. Jun 6, 2012
    This is one of the greats. It may not match up to expectations of todays gamers but it was truely amazing for its time. I thoroughly enjoyed playing Max Payne.
  39. May 26, 2012
    BEAST GAME .. I LOVE THIS GAME ...... SO AWESOME STORY ACTION AND I DON'T HOW MUCH GOODNESS MAN .. ITS THE GAME WHICH MADE ME ITS Faan!!!! ... Infinite/10 ..... One love for it .
  40. May 20, 2012
    A true masterpiece. Atmospheric (one of the best adaptations of the Unreal Engine), great development team, and challenging game play. The only downside I see with it is the excessive save times (up to four seconds for a quick save even on modern systems) when this is an otherwise fast paced game.
  41. May 12, 2012
    This has got to be one of the hardest games I have ever finished... but it is also one of the greatest.
    Remedy made a masterpiece, they brought us Bullet Time in Max Payne which is a mechanic that works perfectly and it's totally **** awesome!
    The game has one of the best storylines I have ever saw and the way the game tells the story is one of the most original ways I have seen in a long
    time.
    The game has no mercy; difficulty wise and story wise, I had many times that the game made me drop my jaw or just smile at how awesome the game is.
    The sound design is excellent, the graphics are amazing for it's time and the art style is very nice.
    This is now probably one of my top favorite games.
  42. May 2, 2012
    After years I went back and replayed this decade old gem. I found the storyline compelling and the game play was crisp and responsive. It is intresting to see how much games of today have lost. If you can get over the decade old graphics, you will find a solid 8 - 9 hours of game play here. Great game and great storyline.
  43. Apr 15, 2012
    The game is truly magnificent, the atmosphere feels true like your in an actual life and death situation as a rouge police officer. The game is very fast-paced and the story line is very convincing. Let me just say that the game is a brilliant masterpiece! Hand down
    -the-epikninja
  44. Mar 29, 2012
    Max Payne is one of the greatest examples of a developer taking a video game seriously, and that they, too, can be a form of art. With it's amazing writing, top-notch voice acting, and one of the best combat systems in a PC game at the time, it's easy to see why Max Payne was such a hit.
  45. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm surprised I never played Max Payne until now--what a treat. A third person shooter with an intriguing story, engaging narrative, and excellent music. The game play is on the linear side, but there are a decent variety of weapons and the slow motion evasion really makes killing bad guys fun. Although not completely horrible, the game does suffer from dated graphics, but it was nice to see it at least had support for widescreen resolutions.

I do have to say the game was overly difficult, even on easy, which kind of killed some of the enjoyment. The AI had precise aim combined with unbelievable reaction times even against a seasoned gamer. With the help of the QuickSave feature, I painfully made my way through it. I think the only piece that was missing from the game was calling the pills "Paynekillers."

Despite its faults, Max Payne is a true classic--definitely worth your time. NOTE: Check the Steam forums for a sound fix on Vista and Windows 7 operating systems.
  46. Mar 3, 2012
    One of the best game ever! It's sad that modern games are not even half cool as were both Max Payne games.
    Thx Remedy for still working and releasing Alan Wake this year for PC!
  47. Feb 29, 2012
    When I review game - I review them vs the current gaming climate. Rather than what I thought when I first played them, thereby eliminating "nostalgia factor". When I first played max payne - it was a 10/10. Just thought I would clear that up first. Ok, now onto the actual game. Max payne was fresh on so many levels, it had it's own individual method of storytelling, the -then- inventive and HUGELY satisfying bullettime effect - and a really dark noir tone. It still holds up reasonably, although I now notice the seams a little more. The comic sections hold up incredibly well - however the blocky models and some clunky moments stand out a little more. Max payne 2 definitely refined this with some grace - however this game - for the most part holds up really well. On the PC. Expand
  48. Jan 17, 2012
    I played this game in August of 2011. Finished it in 7 hours, and it is a pretty difficult game. EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT story, which is the reason I plowed through this game. The gameplay however feels very dated! . 10/10 for the story, while it scores a 6 for gameplay.
  49. Nov 15, 2011
    The best game in my life since 2001. Great epic story, NY's noir, nice sound and Max Payne with GUN... oh my... I'm gonna play this game all night.
  50. Oct 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the game that answers the poor control gameplay to the old Tomb Raider games. Without this awesome adventurous third-person shooter, there wouldn't be GTAIII and GTAIV and all other third-person shooter games from Remedy. Excellent graphics and gameplay made this game a huge hit. Expand
  51. Sep 23, 2011
    the greatest noir game ever made!!! such immersion remains unparalleled in video game history. waiting excitedly for its 3rd part which i hope will the boundaries even more from this genre.
  52. Apr 28, 2011
    As a 2011 gamer who had just bought this game for around $2 on Steam, i'd have to say it's really a masterpiece of it's day. Though I've seen much better graphics in recent days, you can forgive Max Payne's bland and flat surrounding, given the period of development. The story is top notch, a perfect noir setting combined with a gripping tale of a man avenging the death of his family. Not to mention 100x better than the crap film adaptation. As with other Rockstar games, MP's voice acting is also spectacular. You can actually hear Max's thirst for revenge, the Mafia boss's psychotic mind and not forgetting the Cuban mafia slang. As for the bullet-time, it's more than just a gimmick. You actually need to use the bullet-time properly to kill your many enemies, because one bullet can actually decrease a quarter of your health, even in easy difficulty. Thanks to this, it's more challenging and not just another GTA or run-and-gun TPS. Overall, it's a great game to play. Expand
  53. Apr 13, 2011
    Nearly ten year ago the snowy rain fell on Hull like all the angels in heaven had decided to colloquially urinate at the same time. And so opened this innovative action adventure for me: I had a weekend to kill, it was snowing outside, and I had no heating. I didn't want the intellectually intensity of a strategy game, nor did I want to frenetic multitasking of a RTS. With a blanket on my legs, I sat down and completed this game in 10 hours without even a toilet break. And the first thing I did? Began again. After a toilet break.

Max Payne pitches perfect progressive difficulty. Action games can shouldn't - in my busy world - kill you more than three times at the same point more than three times in a game. You shouldn't be slugging through a game with a face as pained as Payne's permanently constipated expression. Instead you should be smiling appreciatively at just how awesome it feels to burst horizontally through a door (in slow motion) and expertly twisting through your hips as you innerringly shoot three baddies with your John Woo pistols before time jolts back into the present and all three baddies fall down at the same time. Whump.

This is not a serious game, but it is seriously evocative. The weapons, even now, feel powerful. I can remember a scene where a baddie hideing behind an apartment door unfortunately proclaims that he intends to shoot you as you come in. He doesn't, but you should, expect to leap towards him while simultaneously opening said door while unleashing a full shotgun blast to his chest that lifts him several feet in the air. You can almost hear Chuck, I mean Max, saying, "not today bozo."

These scenes occur tirelessly throughout the game. Face an impossible situation. Engage bullet time (copied from the Matrix). Shoot all enemies. Read film noir comics.

While the game itself is not so serious, what should be a series consideration is the known (and ongoing) compatibility issues with steam. Unfortunately the download can open fail to name the weapons file correctly which can result in the game simply not starting. While I managed to get it work (on occasion) you cannot expect Steam to help you out on this one. Much better to buy on amazon.

Fortunately the game gleefully leads you on a deeply humorous (if a little silly) adventure once you have got the thing working. The dialogue between the baddies is priceless. Not to mention the subplot of the Lords and Ladies TV series - "My Lord! My Lady! My Lord!" - which goes on for about twenty minutes if you halt your carnage to watch the many analogue TV sets scattered throughout the game. Take this game for what it is - a romping film-noir - and you'll find an outstandingly crafted adventure that is also a piece of gaming history.
  54. Feb 3, 2011
    How much I love this game, it's fun, addicting, and still to this day it never gets old, no matter how many times I've played it, never gets boring. The best game I've ever played and I really hope they somehow pull a new sequel off as good as this one. Max Payne 2 on the other hand wasn't as good. This game is long, I tried speedrushing it once and took me around 12/15 hours in total so this game isn't short. Theres also an easter egg if you complete and get onto the difficulties that are unlocked. I did all of them (except for New York Minute) and I did that in the 6 weeks holiday, you gotta be hardcore enough to get to the end of it. The easter egg on the other hand isn't the best thing in the world so dont expect anything huge. Just expect a small treat from the devs. Expand

1. A great FPS. The most serious problem we have with the game is stability – we lost all of our save games at one point, and experienced random freezes fairly frequently.
    In the style of PC Gamer's David Manningesque vocabulary, Max Payne is the most forgettable action game in history. (I exaggerate, of course. It's only the most forgettable action game of the year.)
  3. Its predominant flaw is that it whets our appetite for something unimaginably amazing but only fulfills half of that unveiled promise.