6.6

1. Aug 5, 2013
    Art style is awesome, weapons and crafting is very fun, but that's about where the good things ends. The map design and mission objectives are some of the worst I've experienced in a long time in a video game. They reuse the same objectives, art assets, maps, and enemies A LOT throughout almost 70 missions. It gets boring about 5 hours into the game of repeating the same things over andArt style is awesome, weapons and crafting is very fun, but that's about where the good things ends. The map design and mission objectives are some of the worst I've experienced in a long time in a video game. They reuse the same objectives, art assets, maps, and enemies A LOT throughout almost 70 missions. It gets boring about 5 hours into the game of repeating the same things over and over. It doesn't help that all the maps look very similar and enemies all have the same spawning points with extremely boring mechanics. The enemies feel like something out of super mario, where they wall back and forth, pop up and down, etc. Now imagine playing super mario with a machine gun that shoots heat sinking missiles and bullets that go through walls. You get an idea of how easy this game is?

I don't recommend this game if you're looking for an action packed game like Metal Slug, this game is far from it. Of course it's still in beta, but I don't see things changing much besides bug fixes.

I forgot to mention, at $15 this game feels a bit overpriced, and they are apparently going to selling it for $20. I feel for what I've played, this game should be no more than $10.
  2. May 1, 2014
    Retro art and soundtrack can't make up for what's an underwhelming game. Plays like a mashup of Borderlands, Contra, and River City Ransom, and doesn't do any of them effectively as a result. A cool experience if you're looking for something to co-op with a friend, especially 2 - 4 players as that's rare these days, but outside of that this is another painfully average indie-styled retro game.
  3. May 22, 2015
    I really wanted to enjoy this game. It has a cool concept, very reminiscent of the old platformers and SNK's war-themed games. But the PC version is so plagued with bugs and bad support that they stained the game to an irreparable level. At first, it was the first game on Steam that I couldn't run, and this situation persisted after trying all possible fixes. So, I gave up for a time andI really wanted to enjoy this game. It has a cool concept, very reminiscent of the old platformers and SNK's war-themed games. But the PC version is so plagued with bugs and bad support that they stained the game to an irreparable level. At first, it was the first game on Steam that I couldn't run, and this situation persisted after trying all possible fixes. So, I gave up for a time and tried some months after with a new build. Lucky me, the game worked now! Only to discover there's some kind of silly screen stutter that's very annoying and, according to forums, happens with a lot of people. Again, no fix available. The developer support is AWFUL, they basically suggest you to get rid of a lot of applications - much of them useful - that could be installed on your computer. So the bugs and crashes are not their problem, let the consumers find their way. This laughable and rage-inducing attitude made me quit trying to play this game, unfortunately. Because it was fun for some minutes. Expand
  4. Oct 17, 2014
    There are certain games out there that allow you to just turn your brain off and have fun. Mercenary Kings is one of those games.

Clearly inspired by 80's action movies, and heavily influenced by the Metal Slug series game play, Mercenary Kings really infuses the best of 2D action platformers with more modern elements of RPG games, it's highlight being a rather deep crafting system. The story of the game, is rather predictable, but this is not one of the games you play for the story. Humor has been written rather well in what resembles a story, and paired with fun game play makes this a blast to experience.

While the game play is fun, the controls do feel a bit tankish. Jumping and movement, in general, could be tightened up a bit, in a Rogue Legacy fashion, yet over all, this is a rather fun game. If you're looking for a good, nostalgic time through the 80's, look no further than Mercenary Kings.

1. Jul 23, 2014
    All the old school charm goes to hell because of the repetitiveness. [06/2014, p.69]
  2. May 2, 2014
    When a game's content goes hand in hand with its form, it's always a pleasure. Moreover, when the old times meet the modern-day, and it works great somehow, we may call it a miracle. Such is Mercenary Kings a shooter.
  3. Apr 25, 2014
    Its high level of difficulty, catchy tunes, and pixelated graphics meld nicely with its emphasis on loot, customization, and online play.