Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC

7.9

1. Feb 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The two biggest issues with this game are the QTEs (you come to know me as harboring a fierce hatred for QTEs in general, as they dumb down combat) and the camera. The final boss fight involves a series of QTEs to kill him once and for all, and they absolutely *must* be done within a fraction of a second to do it properly. Even when I pressed Shift to use Blade Mode correctly and on time, the game still punished me as being not quick enough and I lose 25% of my HP. The camera hardly faces the direction you want to, making the fight even more difficult to go through. I could tolerate the level of unfairness in the combat mechanics to a certain degree but the final boss fight was the last straw. The game worked and the story was okay at best, but the QTEs and sloppy camera really put me off. I'd say it's worth checking out if you're a fan of Metal Gear and/or Devil May Cry, but ultimately the issues with this game will piss you off as much as it has done to me (and I was playing on Normal). Otherwise, I recommend skipping it altogether. Expand
  2. Jun 30, 2014
    The worst part of this game is easily the camera. There's no capability to lock on to the enemies and it can be difficult to tell where they are in the heat of combat, especially since a lot of them have abilities which allow them to dash around. I don't know how many times I cursed because I was against a wall and all of a sudden the camera decided to face the wall so I couldn't see whoThe worst part of this game is easily the camera. There's no capability to lock on to the enemies and it can be difficult to tell where they are in the heat of combat, especially since a lot of them have abilities which allow them to dash around. I don't know how many times I cursed because I was against a wall and all of a sudden the camera decided to face the wall so I couldn't see who or what was attacking me. This becomes more important later on as you're expected to block or dodge attacks but you can't see the visual cues.

Boss fights are pretty easy up until the last couple of them. When they start to become more difficult it can be very frustrating. For example, you can get through most of the game while just ignoring the parry mechanic for the most part but one of the later bosses basically requires you to be proficient with it.

There are a lot of times also when you are basically going to take a lot of damage and there's nothing you can do about it. Attacks can line up in such a way that there is no ability to avoid them so you parry a couple of attacks and then eat an attack that can't be parried. And then two more while you're on the ground. And now you're dazed.

The story is okay (but not great) to start, but when it attempts to delve into Jack's past it becomes laughable.

The game's flaws are few, imho, but they are so critical that it really made me dislike it at the end. If you're considering this game, you're better off with God of War, Devil May Cry, or Darksiders.
  3. Jul 22, 2014
    A very fun and fast paced hack and slash spinoff set in the metal gear solid universe. The zandatsu feature is alot of fun and never gets old no matter how many times you do it. It may lack the story of the other metal gears but its still a hell of alot of fun to play and worth picking up on a sale.
  4. Feb 1, 2014
    Have you ever wanted to chop up a giant robot with your sword?

Well, that will have to wait until you've taken its health down to a preset amount. After that you can deliver two or three cuts and the affected body part is destroyed for good. Every other cut after that is more or less for your own sadistic enjoyment. Revengeance is all about wanting to do something outrageous and
    Have you ever wanted to chop up a giant robot with your sword?

Revengeance is all about wanting to do something outrageous and being consistently slapped on the wrist. You can't do great damage until you have blocked, dodged and jumped your way through a preset sequence of attacks from the enemy that will severely hurt you unless you block/dodge/jump. And if you've been a good dog you'll be allowed to engage in the iconic Blade Mode™. For a few seconds.

Of course, that only applies to bosses. Slicing through the lesser enemies is quite easy. Slicing a VIP in two before you have the chance to cut off the Oh So Important Left Hand™ is quite easy too. Can't cut that hand off a corpse, obviously.

Quite an enjoyable grindfest that keeps reminding you that you are merely a cyborg, not an Enemy Cyborg™
  5. Jan 13, 2014
    [UPDATE]
    The always online issue that some people were complaining about has been patched. As for the 24hz issues, I had the same issue but lowering the resolution to the previous 16:9 shouldn't degrade too much of the experience since the game doesn't have much focus on graphics. I'm playing the game on my TV with 1366x768, it's actually not too bad (better than 720p).
    Gameplay: 9

Gameplay: 9
    What can I say... I'm a fan of hack 'n' slash type games. It's more fun than DmC in terms of boss battles and would be similar to God of War. The gameplay is quite fast paced and refreshing for a slasher, a mix of Devil May Cry and God of War, like Castlevania:LoS. I do not recommend playing any hack 'n' slash games with keyboard and mouse. Negative reviewers regarding bad controls shouldn't be playing hack'n'slash games. For some people using the gamepad and still find issues, the right analog stick is used by pushing and pulling in the directions you want the blade to strike. E.G. you want to raise your blade and strike downwards, push the right stick up then let go or bring back down and ready the upper slash position. Using the right stick allows you to slice at more accurate angles and greater speed depending on your thumbs' ability to move.

Story: 6
    It doesn't seem too interesting but the fun in the game lies more in the combat. If you're a fan of hack'n slash type games, then an 'ok' story shouldn't bother you. I haven't finished the game yet and will come back to re-rate the story when I'm done but where I'm at, it doesn't seem that great.
    [UPDATE]
    I've finished it today and I'm sticking to my main point. The story is not so great and the voice acting gets really cheesy the longer you play it and have more conversations with the crew. Albeit, some topics are quite funny like the classic MGS games.

Graphics: 6
    I expect better than this especially when the game was a 23GB download on steam. The only positives I would give this game is the art because I am a nerd in robotics. If robotics or art design doesn't trigger your interests, then it would be a 3-4/10 because the textures look low res and character models aren't detailed. The physics is pretty cool in my opinion; you can run up to most objects and chop them up to pieces with quite high precision (e.g. the giant, fat tree in the first level could be cut up even though it looked like it couldn't). For graphics, I'd blame the xbox 360 constraints during development because if this had been a PS3 focused title, the character models and textures would be many times better as can be seen in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. The addition of particles is a fairly nice addition to the game. I've an Nvidia card so I don't know if the particle effects are tied to physx or not.

I'm currently using a PS3 controller using Motionjoy drivers combo with Better DS3 with the xbox profile setting (google for them if you have a ps3 controller or intend to get one since they are cheap now that PS4 is out). The bluetooth adapter I'm using to play wireless PS3 controller is a generic one that was recommended by other Motionjoy users and devs ($10 including shipping overseas). If you have an xbox360 controller, then it should be easier from what I've heard. Other than those technicalities, God of War III gameplay remains king for me but this game isn't too far off.
  6. Jan 9, 2014
    No fullscreen 1080p support on my Bravia TV... I get a black screen. On my monitor I get picture, but it's got thick black borders around the whole screen. Is this why pre-orders were cheaper? Beta discount?
  7. May 18, 2014
    CRAP, This must be a bad joke. A lame arcade with bad control (really bad), bad camera, bad story, bad graphics, repetitive gameplay, bad boss fights (you just have to run around and to hit the boss when he stops attacking you. Sometimes you cant even attack the boss, you just stay there and get beaten because the control is not responsive. The fights suck so bad (and there are only fightsCRAP, This must be a bad joke. A lame arcade with bad control (really bad), bad camera, bad story, bad graphics, repetitive gameplay, bad boss fights (you just have to run around and to hit the boss when he stops attacking you. Sometimes you cant even attack the boss, you just stay there and get beaten because the control is not responsive. The fights suck so bad (and there are only fights 99% of the gameplay, you can not even dodge, counter attack, sometimes you cant even attack, you can parry, which sometimes you can use that to win easy, just parry, parry, parry, win... so lame.), too short, uninspired level design, too many cut scenes. Do not buy this **** buy DMC instead or anything else.

The funniest part, after you chop a boss into 1000 pieces he calls you to tell you some stuff... WTF?!
  8. Jan 10, 2014
    This game has poor gameplay and graphics to today's standards, your 12-year-old son might enjoy it though.

The game has 60 FPS limit and maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 as well.
  9. Dec 20, 2014
    This isn't Metal Gear, it's Ninja Gaiden: Metal Gear Edition. No wonder it's dirt cheap on Steam. This is an action hack and slash all the way, God of War wannabe. I was expecting something atleast a bit similar to Metal Gear, and I was wrong. No stealth elements, just ninja/free running sword swinging + mini-game button mashing. I'm disappointed I even spent $5 on it.

Oh and the

Oh and the camera, like all MG games, is terrible.
  10. Jul 19, 2014
    This game is ridiculous, absurd and farcical. It is glorious.

This game is ridiculous, absurd and farcical. It is glorious.

Problems? Oh yeah, a ton. It's a Konami PC port after all. No resolution settings above 1080p. No Quit (but we all know how to Alt + F4, right?). Occasional camera frustrations. Large amounts of action that happen in cutscenes, instead of by player agency. (Also: yes, it's designed for an XBox controller, but that's not a "problem"; if you're a PC gamer in 2014 still insisting on kb/m even though it's obviously unsuited to most games out there, YOU'RE the problem.)

It makes up for that with its kitschy, swivel-eyed disregard for anything approaching good taste or class. It would be comforting to think that Kojima Productions know how silly their games are, but the MGS series suggests otherwise, and maybe that's for the best. I doubt this level of campness could be achieved unless the makers looked upon their wacky story with anything level than the utmost solemnity. It is toe-curlingly theatrical, and never anything less than 100% entertaining.
  11. Nov 11, 2014
    Gameplay (of 10) : 7
    Story (of 10) : 7
    Graphic (of 10) : 6
    Sound (of 10) : 7

Total : 6.8 / 10

Total score is weighted average of four factors, respectively Gameplay, Story, Graphic, Sound.
  12. Jan 5, 2015
    This Game screams ConsolePort right in your Face. Grafics are ok, but not very impressive. Demands in Combat are not high. You have 2 Attacks you can somehow combine. Controlss with M+K are working, but here again it screams for a Gamepad. Bossfights are cool looking but the demands to defeat a Boss are not that high.
    For low Price on Steamsale its ok, but i expected far more than a Game
    For low Price on Steamsale its ok, but i expected far more than a Game that just wanna win you with the "blademode".
  13. Dec 8, 2014
    The game is too hard and the tutorial doesnt explain well how to master the gameplay. Developers never reach the level of quality provided in other games like Devil May Cry or God of War.

A difficulty that relie son a poor gameplay design is wrong.This is what makes MG Rising so hard to enjoy.
  14. Dec 16, 2014
    Este juego tiene varios problemas que no se si son "normales" o estándar en un juego de Hack and Slash, pero si me molestaron mucho. Empecemos con algo bueno:
    La música es increíble, tiene una buena banda sonora con notas dando en el momento justo, seguro acabaras descargando la música. Un aspecto malo es que el juego DURA 5 HORAS. Es extremadamente corto, si lo re-juegas puedes superarlo en menos, de hecho, hay un logro en el cual debes terminarlo en menos de 3 horas. Es corto y los creadores lo saben. Sin embargo, el combate es muy divertido, tienes una espada pero luego puedes desbloquear mas espadas y otras 3 armas únicas, pero tienes que pagar por todas ellas y solo tienen ataques fuerte por lo que no puedes bloquear si no usas espada, así que acabaras usando solo la espada o sufrirás muchos daños por golpes que con ningún arma secundarias podrás bloquear. Y si hablamos de jefes? Son batallas muy entretenidas, cada jefe es único y también tienen personalidades únicas, aparte de que tienen muy buena música. Sin embargo son algo malas en si, y en si me refiero a lo fácil que algunas son. Aquí llegas a tener un rival llamado "Sam", un igual que usa la espada que parece ser un igual en poder como Dante y Vergil en DmC. Pero no lo es, es tal ves el jefe mas fácil de todo el juego... Eso es lamentable. :( Otro aspecto negativo es que no hay tanta variedad en el combate como en DmC: Devil May Cry, por el gran historial de Platinium Games esperaba mas variedad y algo mas de duración. Se puede re-jugar pero hay problemas como que no puedes saltarte de un clic el dialogo de personajes, tienes que mantener Z y esperar como medio minuto a que paren de hablar. Además se volverá mas repetitivo el combate si lo re juegas. DmC: Devil May Cry tenia una historia de igual calibre y un combate mas variado y mejor, aparte de una mayor duración y variedad de enemigos. Aquí los personajes son muy interesantes destacando a: Raiden, Doktor, Wolf y el villano Armstron, que lamentablemente solo sale 10 minutos en todo el maldito juego. Pero los 10 minutos son oro puro, es uno de mis villanos favoritos, en serio, si lo miran seguro que se te quedara en la mente por un rato. (este es mi primer metal gear, seguro que han habido mejores por lo que he oído) Al final le tengo que dar un 06/10, por lo corto y repetitivo pierde puntos, pero aun así es buen juego, consigue a 30 o si puedes menos, el juego esta... es algo así como uno de los manjares de los hoteles que son pequeños, deliciosos y, lamentablemente, con un precio muy elevado. Si tuviera que puntuarlo por su precio completo de consola le daría un 05/10, pero por suerte la versión de PC salio ganando.
  15. Jan 12, 2015
    Really nice hack and slash focused entirely on pure combat with one of the smartest combat techniques I ever seen (blade slashing mode). In this game you slash foes without thinking too much or having to solve useless puzzles to get through the levels.

Graphic is awesome and the programmers managed to get a lot of polygons where needed, and almost none where no one cares, totally appreciated that because this game never ever drops fps.
    Music is nice, you get a lot of electro-ambient music running around and pop-rock music on boss fights (I have to say I don't like that kind of music, but since boss fights are not hours long it doesn't hurt much)
    Plot is good, of course nothing new: the bad guys against the children + the world, the good guys trying to save them + the world, but it was at least enjoyable.

Gameplay is fantastic, you have the classic slashing around, parries (not really a good button combination for those, a guard button was probably better than light attack one) and a blade slashing mode that works slowing time a lot and letting you MANUALLY slash things (having the slashed object cut exactly where you aim). I felt like Goemon with that one.
    Difficulty seemed quite fair. I have to say I'm not used to the semi-interactive cinematic system (press button X, now button Y, spam button Z, etc) and so I had hard time with bosses for like 5 minutes at 0,1% while failing the semi-automated cinematics instructions...

About flaws, I think there are just two quite noticeable: the replenishing mechanic should have been far less than FULL replenishment (this quite often makes things too easy) and the camera movement is awful with a mouse (default keybindings are instead "acceptable").
    So, well, the camera is fine if you have a controller since it's a 100% port from console versions (DLCs included) but controlling the camera with a mouse is just not possible at 100% effectiveness. Your mouse works like an analogic lever (which is not) and thus the erratic camera movement with mice.

Anyway it was good overall. So let's say totally recommended if you have a gamepad, not so much if you've not and you're not that much an hack and slash fan.
  16. Oct 5, 2015
    Admit it guys, everyone wants to be a cyborg ninja, don't we? This game give players the opportunity to become one and shows what it means to slice through almost everything, especially through the enemy. It is a Hack & Slay game which makes it a lot of fun, especially when changing into Blade Mode and cut through bones like butter. Well but that's about it, apart from the cool styleAdmit it guys, everyone wants to be a cyborg ninja, don't we? This game give players the opportunity to become one and shows what it means to slice through almost everything, especially through the enemy. It is a Hack & Slay game which makes it a lot of fun, especially when changing into Blade Mode and cut through bones like butter. Well but that's about it, apart from the cool style there is not much which makes it more enjoyable since it gets very repetitive. The fights consists of nothing but stupid button mashing from the beginnig until to the end of the game and worst of all, no dodging option in a fast paced action game??!! Well that is indeed sad. Overall the game is a stereotypical action game starred by a stereotypical docile hero with stereotypical good looking hero moves and a stereotypical good ending story. Expand
  17. Jun 1, 2016
    Bad game with bad mechanics your powerful android but every enemy is stronger
    you can block attack but 90% of enemies spam unblocking atacks because they can
  18. Jul 6, 2016
    Yeah.. the game's Graphics look nice, but the camera views in combat are really annoyed! And I don't want to play a game with the similar Camera Combat view like this one. DMC series are better...!
  19. Jul 15, 2016
    There is no 2K or 4K resolution. The S rank of VR missions mostly depends on your luck not your skills. It is no doubt that I like the bloody palace from DMC than this. Here 're the questions.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is great looking, great playing action explosion, and the PC version is the best version. [Feb 2014]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 7, 2014
    Raiden reaps what the action filled gameplay sows and if it wasn't for the clunky camera and lackluster plot, there would be nothing to complain about. [Issue #239]
  3. CD-Action
    Mar 5, 2014
    It might be unpolished, but it still is a gem among slashers, especially on a platform that lacks this kind of game. [03/2014, p.72]