8.1

1. Nov 13, 2011
    The Good: The game is beautiful, the environments are detailed and realistic, the storyline is interesting, and the voice actors sell it well. The game does a great job of immersing you in the world and making you feel like a part of it. That is, until you get to the combat.

The Bad: The game chews up GPUs on the higher settings, and has some graphical tearing on mid-level systems.
    The game is very hard, even on normal difficulty. This wouldn't normally be a complaint, as most modern FPS games are not very challenging. I actually like seeing a game that presents a challenge. The problem here is that it is too hard due to a lack of realism. First, your enemies can take a lot of punishment. Too much in fact. I shot a guy in the head point-blank with the shotgun three times, and then he turned around and killed me. I get that the developers wanted you to shoot somewhere else, because they put a helmet on him. But helmet or no helmet, if you take a 12-guage to the face you're not going to shrug it off like someone spit on you. Second, all of the enemies you fight are like navy seals on crack. They have extremely good accuracy at range, and can even hit you with the shotgun from 40 yards off (if you try to shoot someone with the shotgun from more than 2 feet away they won't take any damage). They also have a nasty habit of being able to shoot you through boxes and cover, while your guns cannot pierce cover. Third, they always know where you are, and they will surround you and wait for you to come out. If one see's you, they all have a homing beacon for where you are until you die. There are several situations in the game where you have no opportunity to flank your enemies, and the only way through is straight ahead. You better hope you have grenades if you find yourself in this situation, otherwise you're probably dead, because the navy seals don't miss. Another huge flaw unrelated to combat, is that the game chooses questionable times to save checkpoints for you. At one point I had to restart a level, when the game chose to save a checkpoint for me when I was at no health and bullets were heading toward me. Load, die instantly, repeat. The game is very appealing for many reasons. I tried really hard to like it. However, the aforementioned flaws make it unplayable. 4/10 for good graphics, good story, good acting, and poor gameplay. Expand
  2. Oct 11, 2011
    COME ON! I just payed $5.00 for this game and I got ripped off! This game has got to be a sad joke. As others have said, the AI is bad... But I think it's just way worse than just that. The gun play is just retarded! Gunplay is really the only reason to play an non-RPG FPS, especially a zombie FPS. There is no reaction to bullets by zombies or whatever the poor CGI f*** they are. The gun sound effects are straight ghetto. The gun graphics are weak, guns shoot with no reaction, no pop, no zing, no fun whatsoever. When you hit the creatures, poor CGI, zombies, they just fall vertically and land vertically with no attempt whatsoever to conform to their environment. Holy sh**, the developers of Zelda on Super Nintendo had more respect. It took me 5 minutes to want my $5.00 back. This game is just awful. The mouse scrolls horizontally too fast and vertically too slow with no adjustability. The graphics are mediocre to ok, but the game play mechanics and limited point of view are just abysmal. This is a brain-dead experience designed for brain-dead people. Please save your $5.00. I would play Doom 1 right now for WAAY longer, before becoming hopelessly bored out of my skull. That's sad. That's really really sad. PC Gamer usually has more tact than to rate a game like this 77%, never go below the 80% rating from PC Gamer. This game is an unholy bloody outrage. When I am motivated to write a review, a game is either A: a total travesty against humanity or B: a great game that deserves acclaim. This game is the former, 100%. If you listened I just saved you $5.00. Expand
  3. Dec 16, 2010
    The AI is awful. They always know where you are and there are literally 12 at one time. The game says at one point "meet behind the hotel" and you turn around and see the same grey-scale post-apocalyptic ugly buildings every where. And because of the plentiful enemies and the lack of supplies, the auto-save nearly ruined the game. Also the characters faces were awful looking. None of them moved at all. This game fits every rehashed boring post apocalyptic motif. The plot is uninteresting and not nearly as original as everyone raves about. It isn't worth more than the 7 dollars I paid on Steam. Expand
  4. Oct 18, 2011
    Now don't we all think that the Resident Evil theme is a little worn out? As much as the Call of Duty series too? The graphics are great, the gameplay is good too. I'm just one that is so tired and worn out with the game themes that are played on too, too, much. And this is exactly what this game represents. I believe that "Life" itself is scary enough, to have a game try and scare me. Maybe after living half a century, and playing video games for nearly 35 years, I've experienced quite a bit in life. I enjoy seeing "fresh" titles, and this obviously isn't one of them. Kill, kill, and kill some more...wow.... Expand
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm another one of those mercenary types that picked this up for $5 on Steam - what I should have done is spent the money on a box of nails, and hammered them into my feet _because that would be more enjoyable than this game_. Let me explain myself - I only ever play games in the hardest possible difficulty, in this case, Hardcore mode. There are a number of glitches & game mechanic inconsistancies that render the game unfair in some cases. I don't mind linear gameplay ("on rails" indeed), I don't mind a small weapon set, I don't mind ammo being in short supply, I'm even willing to overlook the cardboard cutout NPCs in the game. The atmosphere of the game makes for a strong enough story & the locations are generally pretty interesting. Tip: play the game in Russian, with subtitles. Much better than the accented english. How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways: 1) Get the HELL offa my lawn! (aka out of my bounding box). When the game is full of creatures that only have melee attacks, it is utter rubbish that they are able to occupy the same physical space as you while attacking you. I've got my back up against a wall, but due to the limited peripheral vision of the gas mask or NVG, I can't see the little turd standing where my feet should be unless I look straight down. 2) Stealth? This has been mentioned a lot - the enemy soldiers are either total idiots, who fail to hear a nearby body hit the floor, or have some sort of radar, detecting you in the dark or at distances where _you_ can barely see them. It's particularly galling when you have worked to extinguish every light source, and are crouched behind cover in near total darkness, and some idiot with a rusty POS assault rifle nails you. For a game which touts stealth as an option, it needs to be much tighter than this. 3) Inconsistant application of environmental effects - one stands out in particular, when encountering a Fascist patrol in the street in the middle of a major wind storm. The constant buffeting of the wind throws off your aim only slightly less than that idiot kid on your back a few levels previous. Despite being crouched down behind a burnt-out car, the Fascists were easily able to drop me in two or three rounds. Funny how many headshots they get when that's all that is exposed. 4a) Pop-up cover effects - the number of times I moved into an item of cover, be it sandbags or a burnt-out car, only to magically pop-up into the line of fire, was astounding. Seriously, if it's something to hide behind, make sure it's not readily climbable. 4b) Terrain hangups. It's 2011, we really shouldn't be seeing games where we get stuck on terrain like we were playing Doom. 5) Ludicrously low amounts of ammo - I KNOW this is supposed to be a feature of the game, but am I really to believe that every enemy is down to his last 1 or 2 rounds of ammunition? How about the off-duty guard I just popped with a silenced headshot? What was he going to do when the enemy attacked, use harsh language?! This is simply unbelievable, especially when combined with how much ammo the NPCs are able to throw at you (or at the mutants in the case of friendly NPCs). 6) Pathetic melee weapons. You know, if I'd had a hatchet, machete, sharpened entrenching tool etc that did just enough damage to give the demons a moment of pause, I wouldn't have worried so much about running out of ammo. It would have been great to have the pistol dual wielded with a close quarters weapon - whack the beastie when it gets too close, then have a half second to take an aimed shot. That's a weapon rig that has worked fantastically from Napoleonic times all the way up to the Vietnam police action. Tunnel rats, anybody? As it is, the knife is pointless and the bayonet barely better. It does knock back a mutant for a second, if you can time the attack well enough. 7) Librarians. Why establish a ruleset for non-aggressive contact, only to break it on a seemingly arbitrary basis in Hardcore mode? 8) NPC movement. Pay close attention every time one of your companions turns a corner when walking. Awkward, isn't it. Look, I think I've gone on enough here. I'd love to see the correlation between user score & difficulty settings - if I'd gone through on a lower difficulty level, then the numerous glitches would have been less fatal. As it is, for me this has been one of the most unenjoyable gaming experiences of the last decade, worse even than Far Cry 2. FC2 was just irritating with it's continual respawns, but Metro 2033's glitches & unfairness constantly reminds me that I'm playing a game. That ruins the atmosphere even more than the toxins in the world upstairs. Expand
  6. Apr 1, 2013
    Ive tried a couple of times to play metro and the shockingly poor combat keeps stopping me, the way the AI knows where you are and can hit perfectly from like 100-200 metres away yet you struggle to hit someone 10 metres away is soo annoying. there is no stealth.... you creep up and put a silenced gun to the back of a enemy's head and fire.... The guy lives and turns around and shoots you dead in 1 -2 shots and if you live the super soldiers all know where you are and your dead again.

The sound is good, i liked the breathing effect when you have the mask on although the cheesy Russian accents are bad.
    The graphics are pretty good, but hard to believe i get a better FPS on the new tomb raider on max settings than on this
    The story seemed ok, i was interested but the combat has ruined this for me... i may try again but at this moment i feel its a waste of my time
  7. Dec 26, 2012
    I got this game as a free facebook promotion. But free does not a good game make. It's a last gen 1st person shooter with a terrible premise and filled with terrible generic Russian accents. It's based on a post apocalyptic world that values only ammo. For some reason there are "higher quality" rounds that are not used for ammo but used for currency. This is an interesting idea, but the very idea that there are rounds of ammo that are being conserved for monetary use is ridiculous. Ammo is ammo. And the very idea that so is good that it's not actually used is absurd. Further, gameplay is bulky and uninspired. The stealth gameplay is boring and clunky. Options are limited as far as combat. Plus the arsenal just isn't useful. It's a terrible game, even if it is free. Expand
  8. Jul 25, 2012
    This was a frustrating game for me. No way to save the game means you have to redo entire stretches of the level since the last checkpoint until you reach the next checkpoint, then it auto saves. I am reasonably good at FPS games, but I was dying a lot in this game! The game gets really dark, at one point I had to see a shimmer of a silhouette move to identify where the hell the enemy was. Also, sometimes you will be wondering where the hell the enemy is shooting at you from! The night vision goggles don't help much in some circumstances, and your vision goes to hell and back if you use it when scoping in to shoot someone in the dark.

The story is interesting though. BTW, I was stuck in one level, took hours to progress and *puff* crash! Latest save game lost! I have to redo the whole level again which I will not do. Perhaps in the future, I will lower the difficulty to easy just to see the storyline through as it was getting interesting.

It got so frustrating, only the storyline was dragging me through! Game play is linear, but I didn't mind as the story was good.

The game had potential but make it a little "accessible"! Its the new buzz word nowadays!
  9. Sep 27, 2012
    I expected a different game, unfortunately, is a game too linear with default steps, very detailed graphics but heavy even for recent vga, un-installed after two hours.
  10. Dec 13, 2012
    (Negative)
    Over all the combat is quite bad..
    For me it was always a struggle to find out how bad the AI was made, i could for example not stealth very effective because the guards would have night vision, and flash light on at the same time so you would not know.
    I could climb around on a roof and shine 3 guards in the face with my charged up flashlight with out them getting alert to
    anything.
    From hard and up in difficulty is very very dificult. It should be one shot one kill if you aim right, because that would be realistic right? .. no no.. 3 shotgun blasts in the face, guard still stands. Kills you with 1-2 shots as soon as he turns.

I also wanted the full experience so if its all going on in russia it should be in russian in my opinion. But you will miss alot of the "none important" people are saying in bars, weapon dealers, stations. Because its not subtitles which upset me quite a bit. It seems like a game that was slapped together in 2 months time, they even spared expenses on the sounds and used sounds from CS. ALOT

(Positive)
    The only good things i have to say is the landscape was well made and the atmosphere is really taking you in (you will know what i mean when you step out of the metro first time)

I dont see how the hell, many of the top critics is praising it so much, i guess more was spend on greasing hands than on the actual game. It seems like it.
  11. Jan 25, 2013
    A pretty good story spoiled by some very poor mechanics, with hind sight I wish I had not thrown away good money on this and just got the book instead.
  12. Apr 25, 2013
    Whats there to say about a game I barley can play, The story was interesting, the atmosphere was cool but ive seen it done before, game startles you at moments, but the pc version is a mess. The game crashes, theres bugs hear and there, and theres no fix at all. Im not buying metro last light because of this.
  13. Mar 6, 2013
    I beat this game in 11 hours. That's not my gripe- my gripe is that I was hoping the game would end after 4. There's nothing novel introduced after the first few levels- you've seen almost all the bad guys and used almost all the guns. The levels are very straightfoward, as is the plot- there is no excitement at all. In fact, you have the same objective ("Reach Polis") for about 75% of the game; the plot lost me for the rest of the game. The game has some challenging elements with its shooting- but only when you're shooting other people. When you fight mutants, you use the same strategy- fire while backpedaling. At least while fighting people, you have to take cover or use grenades. So, to summarize: a bland storyline, bland gameplay, bland character choices. Expand
  14. Jan 8, 2013
    The game right off the bat seemed amazing, I very much enjoyed the story, voice acting and the graphics, however.... the biggest part of the game is completely broken, Combat. Unfortunately playing this game on easy is like playing most games on hard, the human enemies know where you are at all times and will even shoot you within 1 second of you trying to poke your head around the corner, and while you take massive damage from their attacks you feel like they take maybe 1/3rd of your damage.
    The combat seems to be somewhat designed for stealth only when it comes to fighting humans, I say this because if you kill someone with a gun the entire map will immediately be zoned in on you and shooting you, the only way to stop them is to kill every last one of them, rush to the end, or die.
    The problem is, even if you play stealthy you are still punished in combat, if an enemy finds a dead body (which you can't move) then every enemy on the map is alerted and ready to kill you, even if you are hiding in a pitch black area on the map they will see you.
    If you play like an assassin in the dark there is immediately a few things you will also notice, the first is the lack of checkpoints, you will find yourself making one small mistake after the other and lose all progress and have to restart, the second is that silent weapons can be very unpredictable sometimes they kill in 1 hit sometimes they don't and sometimes in the case of the throwing knife they will just bounce off the enemy, at which point you must restart the mission or kill every last enemy for the next 25 minutes.

This game could have been so much more then it is, if only the combat wasn't so terrible.
  15. Jan 22, 2013
    I really don't understand the positive reviews. I really REALLY wanted to like my game, but I keep forcing myself to come back and play it, and just can't seem to finish it, because it's SO bad. The game relies on stealth, but there IS no stealth - as soon as you kill anyone (even with a silent pistol, even if they were alone) or are seen by anyone, EVERY enemy immediately knows where you are and begins shooting at you with their god-like accuracy. Even if you sneak away, they all always know where you are. Even worse is the writing - the individual characters' writing are fine, but every situation in the game feels COMPLETELY forced and makes NO sense whatsoever. "You've never left the station, but now I'm going to give you a gun and you're going to go on a quest." Why? "Alright, let's split up; you go straight through the building full of vicious mutant dog things that want to kill you, and I'll take the safe route going around the building" Why!? "We've never met you and have no qualms with you, but if we see you we'll shoot you on sight." WHY!?!? The overall plot seems cool (something to do with psychic mutants), and I want to know what happens, but all of the plot in GETTING there makes NO sense whatsoever! [UPDATE] Well, I encountered a bug that made it so I couldn't jump or uncrouch, even after reloading (yes I tried both crouch and crouch-toggle buttons). Then the game saved right as there were a bunch of bullets flying at my head, so when I reload I die instantly. At this point I gave up on this terrible, terrible game, and just watched the ending on YouTube. I'm glad I did, because it looks like I didn't miss much. Expand
  16. May 22, 2013
    14 lousy hours and virtually no replayability. I'm not sure if I played a game or watched a movie. It's like a Disneyland funpark ride where you sit in the car and watch the scenery go by. Which pretty much all this game has to offer. Scenery. There are just too many places where you're not even sure if you're involved.

I read this game was challenging. Not. I started on easy
    thinking I'd better get a feel for this thing, but before long I was wondering if I could even die. You can, but even when I switched to hardcore, it was way too easy. My ammo supplies were nearly always maxed out, the traders carried nothing you couldn't pick up any and everywhere.

I couldn't even figure out what the metro encampment towns were even there for. They served no gameplay function at all. You walk through on virtually a single path and interact with things like a pop-out book, but for nothing.

What Quicksilver needs to do is take a pretty nice engine and I'll admit, an intriguing story and tell the designers how to develop that into a game. As it stands, it's more of an interactive book than anything.
  17. Oct 20, 2013
    Graphic & Sound: Nice detailed graphics and good sound which helps to build up tension.

Story: The story tries to be serious and epic but fails. Every guy talks like he's tough but you don't buy it. Voices and monologues are repetitive. It seams like a bad patchwork of ideas.

AI: The human AI is incredible accurate at spotting and blind at the same time. They can pinpoint me in pitch
    dark corners but don't realize if i kill a buddy in front of them. If one enemy gets alerted, everyone is and knows exactly where I am. This is one reason I stopped playing the game after 5 hours.

In some games auto save helps the story but not in this. It was just annoying!

I can't recommend the game

1. May 30, 2011
    Your enjoyment of Metro 2033 hinges on your willingness to let a game batter you into submission.
  2. 4A Games leaves you no choice but to engage with the gameplay of Metro 2033 because of its dark tone and great story. Hardcore gamers looking for a unique experience in PC ultimately will be rewarded by this atmospheric and fast-paced shooter.
  3. Novel and videogame join to compose a very interesting proposal in the saturated first person action genre.