8.6

1. May 14, 2013
    Ok, so here's how you play it. Have a good rest, eat well, buy the game and shut yourself in a dark room with your gaming rig and some extra food. You can easily lose yourself there playing Metro, and you might as well lose your friends and relatives for that period of time... And thats okay it is the experience we've been waiting for since 2033 and the sequel is definitely worth it.
  2. May 15, 2013
    Talk about hand holding.... Artyom, pull the lever, Artyom shine your flash light, Artyom climb up the ladder, Arytom follow me. The game so "railroad track linear" anyway, you couldn't go anywhere else if you wanted to. Take notice of all the high user reviews. 90% of them have no review history. They just popped on the grid like Metro was the first game they ever played. Can someone say "suspicious"? The graphics feel like the first Metro. They were cool then, but when you take a close look at the detail, it's so dated. The hallways have that computer precision geometry. The sound needs so much work.
    The atmospheric plays in the background, but the rusty elevator I'm riding is completely silent. Details details. Is it a game changer? Maybe maybe not, but as the little things start to accumulate, you realize how much you appreciate a game that has polish. Like the voice acting. It is bad bad. It sounds like the actors are reading directly from the script into the microphone. It's almost painful to listen to. Like when the lower ranking officer gets his dialog cut off by the higher ranking officer. You know, like when you're cut off mid-sentence? Except the low ranking guy just reads his script to the cut off point and there's a pause BEFORE he get's cut off? Little things. I like an immersive experience and what caught my eye about this game was all the reviews that say what a great feel this game has. It might, but the devil is in the details, and this game misses in some very pronounced ways. At least do yourself the smallest favor. Don't spend that fifty bucks because you may feel like I do. Paying top dollar is for games that live up to the score, and the scores on this game have been dubiously amped. It's not quite a money grab, but it sure leans that way.
  3. May 21, 2013
    I think it's really unfair people are giving this game 0 raiting. I must state it is a very well made and super fun to play. I played Metro 2033 throughout also played every Stalker game. So this is a very good new edition and i absolutely recommend it. Didn't come across any crippling bugs in my playthrough's but i did think Ranger Hardcore was a tad too easy for my liking aside from that solid game Expand
  4. May 14, 2013
    Thanks to the developers 4A Games and Dmitry Gluhovsky for the created world Metro 2033. Game Metro: Last Light is a gaming masterpiece! - This Slavic apocalypse - unique and unforgettable atmosphere postyader - gorgeous sound, excellent graphic level - lethal shooting - good optimization I have not experienced such an orgasm since the Stalker. Bravo 4A Games! I play on my computer weak: Windows 7/32bit /Intel® Core™2 Quad/Q8400@2.66GHz, 3GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 220 GT 1GB. Expand
  5. Ano
    May 14, 2013
    This whole "Ranger Mode" debacle aside, my experience with this game so far has been extremely good, and thats coming from playing 3 hours of 2033 and stopping because of how boring the combat was.

If you are on the fence about buying this, the game itself is fantastic, graphically its on par with Crysis 3 easily, especially the lighting.
    The sound quality is fantastic, and the
    atmosphere conveyed using the sound, especially around the various creatures in the game, has been nothing but a pleasure to the ears; though when in towns its hard to hear anyone talking to you about the plot line or otherwise with so much background noise, which is my main gripe with the game, but with subtitles its somewhat forgivable (don't expect great English voice acting).

By far the biggest improvement is the gun play, which has come leaps and bounds from 2033. The guns all have weight, and seem very fun, smooth and yet clunky all at the same time, which is good by and for the setting of the game and what weapons are available to you. I still wish monsters showed more impact when shot with a double barrel shotgun, or anything else for that matter, but overall its a massive step up, and I would argue the shooting to easily contend with the top shooters of todays video games.

The single best part of the game though is the atmosphere where I can gladly say they have nailed, down to every last detail. Its gritty, unnerving and wholly a joy and terror to explore the underground tunnels and its especially a treat to break the ground level onto the surface. I don't want to spoil anything more about this aspect of the game, but I would consider this game buy worthy just for the emotions it stirs in ones playing it.

I have not beaten the game, I'm merely putting my two sense in so that people whom have yet to play it have some base lane outside of game review websites. If you are wanting to buy the game, awesome, its well worth it and a massive step up from Metro:2033, it can also easily appeal to people whom maybe did not want or like the first game in the series. But if you are having hesitations, it may be worth renting or borrowing later down the road to test the waters. Also, I highly disagree with this whole "range mode" DCL, its simply another way to cheat gamers, and I will not be buying the upgrade.
  6. May 19, 2013
    I'm not sure what I hated worse, the game or the phony positive reviews! Honestly, if you read the reviews that are poor, they say the same thing. Rail-shooter, bad acting, bad story. Like there's always another actor with you all the time talking and telling you what to do incessantly... And there's 29 of 30 people who disagree? You feel like Deep Silver hired a bunch of guys to skew the scores. Dirty business. Watch out on this one. If you still want to see for yourself, wait for the $20 sale. (It won't be long.) Expand
  7. May 14, 2013
    In the post release wake of BioShock:Inf, I was expecting something way different and much worse from Metro: Last Light.

I got something very similar (not thematically, but mechanically) and just as good!

Highly engaging shooter with appropriately timed cut-scenes to add some spice and character. Deep, engaging story based on the novel Metro 2033. Great weapon customization and
    shooting with thrilling elements in a gritty, post-apocalyptic world. Great juxtaposition (had to use that word) of stealth and full-auto FPS. Highly recommended! Expand
  8. May 14, 2013
    Found this to be a very well made sequel to a fantastic survival horror franchise. The graphics, atmosphere, sound quality and level of polish really did it justice. Being able to slit enemy throats, I found especially pleasing considering the lack of in the first game. Gun-play is spot on and quite a bit smoother in comparison to the first game. Optimization was leaps and bounds better, considering getting the first game to run at acceptable frame-rates was very difficult even on a high end machine. On a side note who gives a wet turd about multiplayer when we finally get a survival horroresque game that did not turn into resident evil 6 Expand
  9. May 14, 2013
    Awsome new dificulties and i like you can finish the game in stealh mode or can just kill anything you see.
    Great story,and i hope will be and sequel.
    Just one word:
    Awesome
  10. May 14, 2013
    Awesome game
    I like customization option.
    Interesting story.
    Love stealth mode.
    I like Drak Ones and Artyom's ability.
    I hope will be an sequel,this story deserve this.
  11. May 17, 2013
    This game is so good I had to register to review it. This is such a refreshing addition to the FPS which has been dying under plot-less and pointless "Call-to-medal-of-battle-honour" games that have been churning out.
    This game gives so much in atmosphere, story and mood. After witnessing this world, the action is a nice addition and made all the better by the sense of purpose that the
    game gives. If you're bored by the homogenised, factory line FPSs that have been spamming the past few years this game is for you Expand
  12. May 14, 2013
    Game is awesome. I am nearly towards the end and have found it to be substantially better than the first game. Fight mechanics and game-play have been greatly improved. This is one of the most immersive games I've played since....well, since Metro 2033. The musical score is great and adds to the overall experience. Enemies are more varied this time around, and so are the weapons. I see there are a lot of trolls around commenting in here who haven't even played the game and giving it a zero score, so I will give this a 10 to bring it back up. This is truly a great game. Expand
  13. May 21, 2013
    The game is in some ways better than the previous metro 2033, on the other side some new features should be done differently. Good things: - More types of monsters - the metro feels more alive, more is happening there. - New way yo take down human enemies, by knocking them unconscious. - Stealth system has improved, enemies must individually see you to know your location. and you will have a moment of doubt if you walk into light, if you get out of the light quickly the guards
    will doubt they saw you.

The less good:
    - The human enemy knockdown is too powerfull, it works on all medium armored humans.
    Will not work on heavy armored humans. It works both when you ar undetected as when you are
    detected. You can run towards the enemy and knock them unconscious. Just too powerful. Needs
    tweaking here.
    - Stealth needs tweaking too, enemies won't see you when you are right in front them. And you walks
    always 100% silent, that's not realistic. I miss the glass on the ground which made stealth a challenge
    in Metro 2033. In last light you can walk around without much problems, it lacks challenge.
    - In normal difficulty the throw knifes do not reflect of armor pieces, which did happen in Metro 2033.
    That's a shame really, that made it more realistic.

Overall I must say I enjoyed it. It's worth the 8. With some good tweaks it can be higher!
  14. May 14, 2013
    A really outstanding peace of work.. It's just like old 2033 all over again, just different missions and routes/locations a bit.. I need to give this 10/10 apocalyptic types are my most best 100% Keep it up!
  15. May 14, 2013
    Playing it in every possible way myself, watching it being played by others on youtube, reading news, reviews and comments and still want more of it. 10 10 10
  16. May 15, 2013
    This is barely a game, more than anything it is an interactive movie and I feel sorry for anyone the pre-ordered it. On top of that your hand is held throughout most of the game and whatever npc that is guiding you around won't shut up. No open world elements so go into this knowing that it is a 100% linear shooter, you have one path to go down and that is it. Very disappointing
  17. May 14, 2013
    I am loving this game so far. The graphics are absolutely stunning. The only thing that bugs me is that they incorporated SSA. Which is a really taxing antialiasing that isn't necessary; msaa would of sufficed. The reason i'm giving this a 9, is the story can be rather cheesy sometimes.
  18. May 14, 2013
    It's really the best-looking game I've ever seen! It has everything that is needed to linear shooter atmosphere, story, gunfight or stealthy gameplay, awesome graphics... All you need is just sit back and let this game dip you in its world and you will have the most entertaining, creepy and honestly post-apocalyptic journey you can ever find
  19. Jun 6, 2013
    I find this game really linear, repetitive and borring. Story and climate its not enough to make it good and enjoyable experience. Its more like controlable movie with crap fighting interludes, than real fps game.
    STALKER series and Fallout series are far better than this.
  20. May 14, 2013
    The game is absolutely amazing, a true work of art i loved the first one and this one is even better. It's all i was hoping for and even more. There are not too many memorable atmospheric games for me and the metro games are with the others at the top of my list, sure there still are some flaws, FOV settings would have been nice, voice acting isn't incredible, gun sounds haven't improved much etc... but this game is so damn satisfying it still gets a 10 from me.

The game is 100% smooth for me GTX670 maxed out without SSAA
  21. May 14, 2013
    What makes my review worthy? Oh some very simple facts: I am Russain, I speak Russian, I read Russian, I played Metro 2033 and i am reading the book atm. This game is 10/10, at first i was bit uneasy with some of the new facial models but that is just because of an updated engine. The ability to customize my weapons actually made the bastard, well...less bastardy. All in all, this game did not disappoint me one bit, well worth the preorder. Idk why some "professional" reviewers gave it like a 70. AI is fine, sure could use some work, but still fine and seems to act fairly intelligent. 10/10 Buy it, play it, embrace the metro! Expand
  22. May 18, 2013
    Metro Last Light is one of the best looking games in 2013 to date. It's combat is great even along with it's stealth combat. Atmosphere is amazing and makes you feel how tough living in this world really is, it shows how the last of humanity is holding up. It's just a dark world that grips you in. Story is very well told with a very well made intro to get you starting in and with an amazing ending to make you just go "wow". You will care for characters, and others. Helping others has it's own reward. Just remember that Karma is a The setting of last light is also fresh and new. Like, what other game lets you play in a post apocalyptic Moscow metro? None. This game delivers that and does it extremely well. Though Last Light has it's problems such as its really linear story, AI Stealth detection is a bit forgiving and off but not enough to ruin it for you. There are also technical difficulties that the developers can fix. And my biggest problem with the game is that its main characters voice does not use it in game but only in loading screens. I think if they put his voice in game, then dialogue would sound allot less awkward and better. Narrative would become amazing. Over all this game is a must own for any one looking into a well driven story, especially if your a metro fan. Expand
  23. May 16, 2013
    All I want from a game is a decent, mature story that I can interact and immerse myself in. The Metro series is by far one of the best games out there for this. I can spend hours just wandering around the stations listening to the conversations and getting a feel for life in the metro. This is not a generic first person shooter, this is the real deal. Style and substance.

If you're
    still reading this and not downloading it on steam, then you know what to do. Expand
  24. May 14, 2013
    A HUGE improvement over Metro 2033 back in 2010. Almost all of the negative aspects of that game have been fixed here. Mainly the stealth and shooting mechanics. Superb atmosphere that immerses you completely, with tons of creepy noises and stunning sights. The shooting actually feels great now and can compete with the best FPS's out there. The story is also interesting. DO NOT listen to the people that rate it 1's 2's and 3's etc bashing the game. They are talking complete nonsense. Most of these negative reviews will no doubt come from the "angryjoe ranger mode DLC debacle" band wagon jumpers. That is not a reason to bash the game, at all, end of. The publishers are to blame. Expand
  25. Jun 4, 2013
    After my review of Bioshock Infinite and my references to Metro Last Light I now decided to put a Last Light review in too.

Story:

based on Dimitri Glukowski's book Metro 2033, Metro Last Light is meant as the 2nd Part of the already known Metro 2033 Game. After Artjom has killed all dark ones in Metro 2033 he is now send out to find the last survivor and get in contact with him to
    find out more about the dark ones and then has to kill him.
    But as usual not everything works as expected and so he gets into real trouble again with the faschists and communists. But enough of the Story itself.
    So from the kind of telling the story, Metro Last Light has a Half Life stile storytelling. So every person interacts with you and tells you whats going on, but you never reply to them ingame thats what I would see as the biggest issue in the game, because the story looses atmosphere through it. Only in the loading screens Artjom talks about whats happening.

Audio:

The audio is a bit of a two sided swort. There will be people complaining by the russian accent but others would say this is a necessary part of the game. I belong to the second ones, so for me this is not a point where Last Light looses score. But as I already told in story part, you protagonist never talks. Thats sad. Except of this, for a story telling shooter alle the weapon sounds and the environment sounds a really great an atmospheric.

Gameplay:

So gameplay I liked the very most. Is it changing your filters for your gas mask, or wiping the dirt out of you view until pumping up the electricity for your flashlight/nightvision this all fits so much into gameplay and is from my side the most ignored feature in most scores. So whenever the action began to start these elements made it a fight for survival which really kept me having fun on it.

Graphics:

Well the most pro argument why Metro is at least at the same meta score as Bioshock Infinite for me.
    I know most people would now say, yes but the Graphics are not everything. Thats right, but in a FPS Graphics are mainly the focus and not the story! So from the awesome lightning, detailed textures (espacially in the outdoor regions) and awesome animations of the characters this game is really one of the best looking games that you can play at this time. So especially for the PC version that is coming pretty close to Battlefields actual Frostbite engine!

Verdict:

So for me this is also a must play title. It also tells parts of the book Metro 2033 new and changes the story that far, that Metro 2035 will be based on the events in Last Light.
    The game is not too short, it took me about 15 hours I guess and I really enjoyed the twists and the awesome looking graphics.
  26. May 14, 2013
    My respect for Ukrainian developers. The game is incredible! The game is very high quality and incredibly atmospheric. such a complete immersion in the game I have not had. I love it!
  27. May 15, 2013
    rail-shooter, but due to the story (which is the best in this game) understandably so.
    what I find funny is this: many people give this game a low rating, BECAUSE there are NO open-world elements at_all, but... said people gave Bioshock Infinite high ratings and praised it although that game is as_much a shooter on rails, as is this one!

the game is mediocre at best and it is
    saddening because it could havbe been a great linear shooter, if it weren't for all those bugs, the bad AI and too many little things.

I really loved the first Metro 2033 this one just isn't as good... or I am not as forgiving as I have been before.
  28. May 14, 2013
    Atmospheric, personal, and vastly superior to its predecessor. Last Light is everything I could've hoped for. The new companion characters have real personalities, and are strong in a fight. Everything seems more polished and interesting, and the storyline really drives you to play through the whole game.
  29. BMF
    May 16, 2013
    This game is up there with Half Life 2, I don't really need to say more but I will. Metro Last Light is an extremely well realised world everything feels like a living breathing environment full of things to discover and people to meet. The graphics are top notch and killing both humans and creatures feels excellent and is very brutal. I recommend this game to anyone who fancies themselves gamers but even none gamers would be able to enjoy the great story and atmosphere. Expand
  30. May 14, 2013
    As someone who played metro 2033, this game lives up to good expectations. The stealth system is definitely workable. As you sneak along you can unscrew light bulbs on the way. Makes for a fun, easier and very much playable game
  31. May 14, 2013
    Game is amazing, the atmosphere, the graphics, the improved gunplay and the immersion are all top notch.

Go buy this game ASAP and turn off the lights and crank the volume up! improved over the first game in every way!
  32. May 14, 2013
    deep dive into USSR world. Cool story, nice graphic, awesome actor voice(english with russian accent), atmosphere. Allot unexpected moments, different locations, cut scenes and characters.
    One word: Must have!
  33. May 20, 2013
    Bugs bugs bugs. And I'm not talking spiders. I'm in the middle of the game and suddenly the enemy soldiers stop moving. I walk up, they say, "must have heard something," but they don't move. You can't kill them, they're just statues. I try to restart the from the last checkpoint. Nothing. Reload the game, no change.

So I start the whole game over. I'm in the middle of the game AGAIN and
    I can no longer change my gas mask filter. Another completely different and crippling defect. My guy puts his arms down and just chokes to death. I get soldiers half in the walls. And the problems aren't ones you can ignore. These things have to function. And these kind of defects obviously can't be blamed on the graphics card or my system. It's apparent the game is broken.

Not that I care. The game sucks anyway. The AI is so incredibly bad. The acting is literally amateur quality. The story? Not in the least bit interesting. Even if the game worked, it's more like a movie than a game. And just a rehashed makeover of Metro 2033 at that. It's as though the designers didn't make a single improvement from the first game. There's no exploration at all. You have the main course and at most a room off to the side. There's no depth. And it's thq quicksilver's second try! Why do they keep trying to sell the same failed formula?

What a bummer this game is.
  34. May 22, 2013
    Great game with great atmosphere, and story! Definitely worth playing. Its a masterpiece!. This game has excellent graphics, I believe its better than crysis 3 in graphics.
  35. May 25, 2013
    It would have been a shame if this game doesn't come out. When i played i really felt that im part of the story, and its atmosphere just made my mouth remain-open. The graphics are super cool, but its not the effects but the drawings of the cities which pulled this game to the highest level and made it a masterpiece.
  36. May 16, 2013
    If like me you weren't too crazy about the original game, you shouldn't buy this, and should instead wait until it too drops to a single digit price tag before purchasing. The game is extremely overpriced and is as poorly optimized as the original.
  37. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. *SOME STORY SPOILERS BELOW*

Now I haven't finished this game yet but I can't help but write about how much I love it. It is more or less more of Metro 2033 but it's bigger, better, and one of the best shooters I've played so far. The story will have moments that will make you feel many things, from the shocking plane crash flashback to that funny talent show with several awesome acts to watch. There are also a couple memorable companions that will aid you that aren't throwaways like many of the ones in Metro 2033. The overall plot is similar to 2033 though in that you play a guy tasked with wiping out a mysterious alien species. There's more of the communist and nazi faction stuff though as well.

The stealth has been drastically improved from 2033 with a detection meter and smart enemy AI that will react to dead bodies and sound.

There aren't really any new guns but the returning ones still feel great to use and have impact. My personal favourite is the revolving shotgun, which is great for taking down mutants. Speaking of mutants there are a few new types like the creepy spider things that can only be killed by shining a light on them to reveal their soft bellies and a swimming shrimp creature that inhabits some of the swampy areas you'll come across.

The trolley cart sections are back but this time you'll get your own little go kart to ride a long the tunnels for a bit, which you're free to stop at any time to explore some optional tunnels that have ammo and money to find. The game world is still pretty linear, but there are a fair number of optional areas you can explore. The towns have more to do in them as well, including a couple mini games and more interesting conversations to listen in on.

I should also not forget to mention the atmosphere of the game which is absolutely amazing as it was in 2033. There are dark and eerie tunnels, warm and welcoming large town stations that are absolutely filled with NPC's and little conversations going on, and the eerily beautiful yet harsh surface of Moscow with ruined buildings and the remains of St. Basil's cathredal. Not even the wastelands in Fallout or Rage can top the beauty of Metro's Moscow. It's brought to life by the 4A engine that has spectacular lighting and dynamic animations. The sound design of the game is excellent as well. It relies more on ambient sound effects but there are some soft guitar tunes and some suspenseful music for the horror based sections. Not to mention the russian folk music on radios :P

Overall it's a must own game that delivers a fantastic atmosphere, great stealth and combat mechanics, and a compelling narrative full of twists and memorable moments. I haven't encountered any flaws worth mentioning yet except for an annoying bug that makes shadows all pixelated. I will update this review once I have finished the game, as I'm only about half way through so far.
  38. May 21, 2013
    If you have GTX Nvidia you'll get one of the best looking games out there. Great atmosphere, improved game play & stealth, unique guns, shooting is easily the best this year so far! Also one of the best horror I've ever played. Enemies are challenging. Levels design is amazing.
    Not perfect though, could have been more open. Great game overall
  39. May 18, 2013
    This isn't a bad game, but not a great one either. I like the story and the atmosphere of the game, but the gameplay is a bit dull. The AI is slightly idiotic, especially when it comes to stealth type of fight. With some tweaks this could have been a great game.
  40. May 22, 2013
    14 lousy hours and virtually no replayability. I'm not sure if I played a game or watched a movie. It's like a Disneyland funpark ride where you sit in the car and watch the scenery go by. Which pretty much all this game has to offer. Scenery. There are just to many places where you're not even sure if you're involved.

I read this game was challenging. Not. I started on easy
    thinking I'd better get a feel for this thing, but before long I was wondering if I could even die. You can, but even when I switched to hardcore, I was wondering if anything got switched at all. My ammo supplies were nearly always maxed out, the traders carried nothing you couldn't pick up any and everywhere.

I couldn't even figure out what the metro encampment towns were even there for. They served no gameplay function at all. You walk through on virtually a single path and interact with things like a pop-out book, but for nothing.
  41. May 23, 2013
    Not only does this game have good graphics but it also very immersive and puts you deep into the game. The unique environments and astonishing lighting effects help create that. The story is also very well written and the gameplay is very realistic from charging your flash light, to putting on your gas mask, to changing your filters and wiping away dirt from your screen with your hand. I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes playing action,adventure and choice making games. Expand
  42. May 23, 2013
    4A Games can be pride of Metro: Last Light. Unique atmosphere... No! I actually love this game and Metro 2033 because it's so nice when characters call you by your name I want more!
  43. May 16, 2013
    The best FPS ever made!
    Yes, for me it's the best FPS game that ever made, far much better than BioShock, battlefield, of course, COD.
    The sound, the view, the details... Can't be more exciting for such a wonderful game.
  44. May 25, 2013
    Metro Last Light, like Metro 2033 is a survival fps. The dark atmosphere of Last Light is beautiful like 2033, everything about the metro and the ruins of Moscow are brilliantly designed. The music is fitting and matches very well.

This is a linear FPS experience like the first game, so users who complain about that should know this is how the game is based off the first one, or should
    do research before purchase. Unlike the first game there is some small amount of exploration while traveling in the metro and on the surface and those small parts really make this game shine. If they made this game open world like Fallout or Stalker but with the dark and desolate world of Metro 2033 you would have the game of the year.

I did find that the Ranger and Ranger Hardcore modes were to easy like some have said. I was able to find filters and plenty of ammo its defiantly easier than Metro 2033 which sounds like they're catering to casual players unfortunately as they did state there was going to be more ammo and filters this time around. There are minimal bugs that I've noticed. The only one I've experienced was some npcs were frozen in place and I had to restart from the chapters start rather then the checkpoint to get them to work again. The SSAA of this game really needs to be optimized. You're better off setting this to "off" or "2x" without experiencing severe loss of FPS. There are a few minor immersion breakers like being unable to walk while your npc companion walks and talks to you while you run,stop,run,stop to keep up. Also in Ranger/Hardcore there's minimum to no hud so you cant check how much ammo you have which is unfortunate.

The stealth in this game is also very easy. A light indicator on your watch lets you know when you're visible or hidden. If you've hidden you're basically invisible no matter how close you get to the npcs. I can virtually walk right in front of them and they don't react which breaks immersion.

The sounds can be adjusted a little. A lot of what you learn about the metro and its past, things happening around you is picked up through ingame conversations between npcs and sometimes they're barely audible. It also sounds like they've recycled some of the old sounds and npc sayings for this game.

And just a few minor personal things I wished they'd change/not change. In LL, the watch on your wrist is almost always visible so you know how long you have with each filter on the surface. I miss in Metro 2033 you actually had to press a key and look at the watch as you went along. I enjoyed that more. I wished they made ranger/hardcore mode harder, its honestly not that hard, I wish they made the game darker, and I mean physically darker. I found the metro and the stations to bright. I was really hoping for some Doom type darkness where you could only see where your flashlight reaches.

The gunplay is much more engaging and revamped in LL, you can customize your weapons, and trade them in for better ones or worse ones if your short on military ammo and need dirty ammo to fire.

I know it sounds like I disliked the game, but I actually really enjoyed it. I'm just letting you know the issues I had with the game. I love these types of games, the dark, gritty, survival games. Lets hope the next Metro comes with an open world to really explore the ruins of the surface.
  45. May 23, 2013
    This game has many parallels to Bioshock Infinite. It takes a well-built world and an 'interesting' story as a starting point but then forces them down the players' throats in the form of a totally linear, on-rails 'game'. What the developers have achieved is great in its own right, but sadly as a gaming experience it is too narrow and overly pre-determined. A lot to love here though. The stealth and combat are well done, and the story is better than the ridiculousness of BI. A good game and one to buy when its on sale at an appropriate price of around $20. Expand
  46. May 16, 2013
    This game deserves >9. It pushes modern hardware (somewhat), it has an excellent story, it is novel, thought provocative, and intelligent. And it ends with an uplifting message.
    Don't shy away from from the unknown. Have the courage to try something--something that you may not understand. Play this game.
  47. May 14, 2013
    Giving a game a 2 for being badly optimized is just another way of saying a car sucks because it cannot go faster than 150 kmh. People giving it a 1 and literally saying that everything is bad is an obvious troll, and probably havent even played the game. Im about 5 hours inn and in my fair opinion its a great game. As im not good at reviewing games i am just going to leave it like this, and give it an 8. I have enjoyed it! Expand
  48. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I just finished Metro: Last Light and I must say any game that ends with "And that is how your father saved the metro" needs some work. Was it a bad game? No. But it definitely wasn't the best sequel to the highly underrated and unknown Metro 2033. The writing was atrocious, a significant change from the original which had some very beautiful writing and story telling abilities. Yes Metro 2033 was lacking in some fields (graphics mostly) but it rose above that proving once again you don't need great graphics to make an immersive game. Metro: Last Light fails to do that, and it truly is the writing and voice acting that makes the game seem half hearted. Hardly do you feel you are part of the world and at some moments it is laughable how poor the dialect is between two NPC's especially when one of the voice actors can neither pull off a Russian accent nor does it seem like he wants too. And all of that plus the execrable writing makes for a experience you wish you didn't spend 50 dollars on. The story can be corny and not in the good way, and at some points confusing, infuriating and down right boring. Sure they upgraded the game play and graphics (not by much) but it didn't make up for the other problems it carried along with it. All together I would say Metro: Last Light is worth no more than $20. Writing 13/100, Story: 14/100, Game play: 60/100, Graphics: 53/100, Score (Music): 79/100. Seriously, $20 at the most, don't waste your time. Expand
  49. Jun 2, 2013
    I had such high hopes for this game. I had read so many stories about its development process... about how they had listened to the people who played the first Metro and fixed all the bad things. It was all a lie. This game is only different from the original in that they took all the bad things and made them worse. They build this beautiful world and then punish you for wanting to explore it. If you thought the first was strait-jacket linear, this one is murder. So many interesting places you simply can't go. So much wasted potential. This game is really small once you figure that out. it looks a lot bigger than it is. It is a rip-off. Expand
  50. May 19, 2013
    Please be advised--this game came to a near-shuddering halt from a frame rate perspective on my PC, which has been able to run any shooter to date without any problem. I've heard many other very tech-savvy reviewers comment on the "unforgiveable" specs this game requires for relatively dated graphics a dark corridor..??). I feel like this game is practically unplayable on any non-high end PC and my review reflects that fact. Expand
  51. May 24, 2013
    I haven't played such a good game in a LONG time.
    This is a kind of game that comes once in a couple of years, it's that good! I loved everything about it.
    Download newest patches to improve performance on PC.
  52. May 16, 2013
    The game has a good atmosphere, story, and setting, but I'm afraid the gameplay is pretty dull. The game is very linear, and combat is boring. You are told exactly what to do, and there are few things to be figured out by your own or discovered. Fighting humans requires some stealth, but fighting mutants is just spray and pray. However, even while fighting humans, the AI extremely stupid; they can't see you even if you are right in front of them, they don't know how to flank you in combat (in fact they barely even move at all in combat, once they spot you they more or less just keep firing until either one of you die). The game is pretty short and easy for a game that doesn't have the multiplayer and relies on its single player. I finished the game in around 7 hours, which is around the same amount of time as it takes to finish Call of Duty's single player. On normal difficulty you can run past most enemies, mutants and humans alike, and there is only the occasional boss you must fight (such as the mutant in the catacombs or the one in the swamp, both of which, by the way, are extremely boring to fight and basically bullet sponges). The morality system is also extremely flawed just like in the first game; there is no way to save your game so if by the middle of the game you realize you are not getting enough morality points you are going to have to restart the whole game just to get the good ending. It is also based too much on decisions you make during combat; for example, one of the biggest parts to getting the good ending is not killing anyone on several of the missions. Even if you spare some of the enemies, you will not get any morality bonus. Also, I see no reason why they would let you have the choice of knocking out enemies or killing them with the knife, because they basically have the same effect. The enemies you "knock out" are not going to wake up after a certain period of time. You can even take their gas mask filters away and leave them to die from suffocation after knocking them out and it will still count as sparing them.

The game is also extremely poorly optimized; it lags a lot just like the first game. Bear in mind that BF3 runs smoothly on Ultra settings on my computer, yet Metro lags like hell even on Normal.

Overall, fun but extremely flawed and not something I would play a second time despite it being extremely short (around 7 hours) in length.
  53. May 14, 2013
    I think the best way to describe Metro: Last Light is that it's almost the same as it's predecessor. In most cases this might be considered a negative, but here it's actually a good thing, as the original had a great formula. What Last Light might lack in innovation it makes up for in polish, with an atmosphere that feels more immersive than ever and a story that is a little more personal. Stealth and combat are largely unchanged, with a couple of new weapons added. I feel it's worth mentioning that normal and hard difficulties are still sort of easy. Probably the most common complaint about 2033 was that it was sort of linear Last Light remedies that with some truly well done, open outdoor maps. Some downsides are that the game doesn't play nice with AMD cards (nothing too major, just shadow flickering) and they removed the armor specializations. Bottom line, if you enjoyed Metro 2033, you will like Last Light just as much, if not more. Expand
  54. May 15, 2013
    Let's be honest, the ommision of Ranger Mode is stupid. It can be circumvented, and I plan on doing that. (Or, they will come to their senses) This game is fantastic, visually stunning, and frighting. I cannot stress enough what a great sequel this is. They deserve your money.
  55. May 18, 2013
    Most people would probably pick it up thinking it was a COD clone. Regardless, this game blows my mind. The story is so direct and driven by the crumbled wasteland environment, filled with unique subway cities that really gave me a sense of reality. Atmosphere I haven't stopped to look at all the details in a video game in a long, long time. Pick it up, thank me later.
  56. May 15, 2013
    Awesome game.
    Great graphics, good optimization, great gameplay, Interesting story.
    I really hope that the series will not end on this game.
    Thanks to the developers 4A Games.
  57. May 15, 2013
    Great game, "DLC" aside this was a great continuation to metro 2033. This game is great with options of game-play, wanna sneak by everyone? go ahead. wanna paint the walls red? Uh...guess that's okay too. While there are not too many options when it comes to graphics, it does have all the others to give you quite a bit of customization. Combat is a very good quality and a fun weapon customization gives plenty of options for how you wanna play.

will note: there are several scenes with the boobies, parents have been warned :)

a comment to those complaining about the ranger dlc, I would like to point to a statistic about metro 2033 ranger mode. With steam, only 1.5% of the players completed easy ranger and 1.7% completed hard ranger mode. So you should ask, is it a mode I WOULD/OTHERS WOULD actually play? or is EASY>MEDIUM>HARD enough for most.

PS- I do not support what THQ put up for dlc before it changed hands.
  58. May 15, 2013
    I literally just beat (no spoilers here). At first I wasn't sure how I would rate it since I need the full picture before rating anything. However, once I completed it I was in awe of how great it was. 4A added in amazing features such as requiring you to wipe your visor when it is splattered in blood. It also looks great, just make sure your pc is up to specs first. Combat was made much more fluid than in 2033 and stealth is more practical now that more fires can be extinguished and the knife was redesigned to compliment stealth (which I recommend is done at all times, especially when playing Ranger Mode).

It does have a few problems though. These include the fact that is a very labor intensive game, therefore make sure you have a good computer before playing. Also, it irks me that I can't switch a scope between weapons; you have to sell the scope and then re-buy it for the weapon you want it on. The Ranger Mode complaints are understandable, but it is not necessary to play the game.

However, these do not detract enough to lessen the awesomeness that is Metro: Last Light.
  59. May 16, 2013
    Love it. The Metro Last light is a great game on every aspect. Most thrilling for me is the story. The game, unlike many shooters encourages people to act good as your constantly been judged by higher entity. Flashes occure when you listen peoples concerns, play music to communicate with god and spare lives no matter how flawed they are. Metro is unique first person shooter where on a surface it`s like a b-movie script where you kill the nazis and save the babes, but exploring more the symbolism and the lore of this universe you find that acting selfless and sparing lives of those who are flawed or different is the only way to be enlightened and redeemed in gods mind. The title just hits the spot "Last light". Few of good games. Expand
  60. May 20, 2013
    It is 3 AM right now and I'm still awake writing this because I simply cannot sleep after Metro Last Light. Not because it may give me nightmares, but because I feel restless after completing such an amazing journey. My mind is racing, trying to comprehend how a game can be this good. I'm absolutely blown away by every aspect of Metro Last Light. It is more than just a PC game, it is a work of art and a piece of humanity, no less. I loved Metro 2033, I was really looking forward to this game, and more of the same would be perfectly fine by me. However, everything got turned up to 11 in Last Light from 2033. With great polish and presentation it is such a better game than 2033. The world is completely realized with much attention to detail, it is easy to get lost in it for hours. Every corner of the world, every character feel so alive, almost like there is a soul behind it all. The story is excellent, the touch of Dmitry Glukhovsky is clear. It always keeps you curious about what is next. Where does this lead and how will it unfold, I just could not get enough of it. The brute reality of war and the paranormal subconscious of Metro are fused together. Many characters are introduced and very well developed. I enjoyed to learn more about Artyom and understand him. Khan is at his best. There is so little time for Artyom and Anna together, but the attachment created is so strong. I only wish we could find out more about Ulman and Miller. The gameplay is smooth and satisfying. No matter if you want to clear your way with lead or stay in shadows. The introduced take-downs are varied enough and are effective. The pacing is unpredictable to say the least, but somehow it fits perfectly. The game is about 15 hours, depending on how you play. It feels complete, but I wish it would go on for more. The weapons feel much better and there is more than before. New guns are great and fit in the world of Metro. The customization is just right as well, and guns behavior does depend heavily on how you set them up. Throwing knifes are much easier to use now, but I did not mind them in 2033 either. I personally welcome the limit on number of guns you can take with now. Human AI is not bad at all. I just wish they would actually search the area instead of standing in one spot and wondering if they seen anything. Monster/Mutant AI is excellent however. Here and there it even seems like tactics are involved. Fighting for survival gets extremely tense and I love it. Last, but not the least are the graphics and art style. I have never seen a game so beautiful. Its hard to not just stop and stare, simply amazing! The immersion is endless. I ended up with 380+ screenshots by end of the game. The lighting, texture, character models, animations, etc. Everything is top notch quality. The optimization though is not really there. However, the game runs smooth maxed on two 7870s LE with the latest patch. 30-80 FPS, quite a variance indeed. As far is art style goes, the whole game is a masterpiece. Whichever way you look, its like you are in art gallery. To sum it up, Metro Last Light is a superb shooter, stealth, adventure or simply, it is orgasmic. I always ask myself a question about every great FPS since 2005: Is this game better than Half Life 2? By the end of Metro Last Light I could surely say for the first time ever, YES! Bioshock Infinite came so close, but Metro has done it for me, finally. I applaud and bow to 4A, Dmitry Glukhovsky and Deep Silver. Buy this game, you will never regret it Expand
  61. May 22, 2013
    I was hoping this game would eventually get away from the linear feel, and that the hand holding was just part of the beginning of the game. Eventually you would be cut loose into a huge apocalyptic world that you could explore on your own. Level after level that sadly never happened. If you like to read your video games. If you love watching long cut scenes with bad acting. If your favorite amusement park ride is Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland.

If in real life, your definition of ‘adventure’, is following an M&M trail for hours, only to find out it leads nowhere.

Then this game is for you!
  62. May 25, 2013
    Last Light may be a game, that you may have discounted. I know i did, but the other day i decided to pick it up and have a go. I never regretted it. I have never been immersed in a game so much as Last Light. I highly recommend you give it a try.
  63. May 16, 2013
    Metro: Last Light's take on a post apocalyptic world strips away a lot of the tongue-and-cheek (Fallout/Rage) and Saturday morning cartoon (Borderlands/Bulletstorm) and instead creates a bleak yet beautiful world that wouldn't be at all fun to live in. It's darker and grittier setting straddles the line between horror, science fiction, and mms and does so very well.
    The story, much
    like Metro 2033's, is a linear narrative driven one, which you once again take up the role of Artyom, a skilled ranger who is more often than not used as a pawn. This story begins after the events of Metro 2033 and ties into the choices made in that games conclusion. What really sells this story is the masterfully crafted world in which it takes place. It draws you in and makes the experience very immersive.
    Pros Graphic Fidelity. World Design. Animations. Story. Sound. Gameplay.
    Cons: Average English Voice Acting. Average A.I.
  64. May 16, 2013
    One of the best looking games so far bar none. What they did with lighting, shadows, particles was just amazing. The game does a great job of pacing you along, it does get a bit linear at times but the way it is done more then makes up for that.

Keep in mind that at the time of this writing SSAA is just a pure system killer, basically you will have twice the frame-rate at 2X SSAA then
    you would 4x SSAA. While it can still be played like that it can cause more then undesirable fps in game, with the occasional dip going way low at times. Expand
  65. May 16, 2013
    Despite some technical bugs I cannot find a single problem with Metro Last Light. One of the best games this generation, and probably one of the greatest of all time, right up there with Bioshock and Metroid Prime.
  66. May 15, 2013
    The two games in the Metro series have that rare honor of being games that people either immediately hate or love. This is true for both 2033 and Last Light. Especially Last Light. Metro 2033 is one of my favorite all time games, being insanely difficult at times and horribly unforgiving and unique. Very unique. While Last Light continues in the vein of its predecessor its different. I love the atmosphere. The sets, the lighting, the creatures, the tension and the shooting are really second to none. The weapons are so well developed and enjoyable to shoot that it actually rises from the predecessor. The story is driven by eaves dropping and it demands.... no it REQUIRES patience to get the full story. While the story is linear, if you stick to just running from station to station and don't take chances with your air filters and your life by exploring you will miss the best part of this game.

Where it fails is in fully exploring the developing factions and that would have required a MUCH longer game. While I have not completed it yet (maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through? I just arrived at the church outpost.) and I have clocked 10 hours on the game. It would have been a great addition to have more areas to explore. Perhaps that can be added as a DLC a true DLC and not the Ranger mode controversy. I get why 4A and Deep Silver made that decision to not limit content and not to make it time sensitive but having more areas to explore would add a lot to the game.

The voice acting is very hit and miss. At first I could not believe that Artyom was the same actor. The voice was much more confident, less bleak and more powerful. But that actual fits the maturing of Artyom from an inexperienced young buck with a wicked aim and tough as nails into a a true Ranger.

The game, and I have to emphasize this, is drop dead gorgeous. The lighting is spectacular. The sound is top notch with a great score. I also have to emphasize that the AI, on Normal at least, goes brain dead if you are successful with stealth which is not as difficult as you would think. Woe be to those who would engage in an all out fire fight in some sections. The human enemies have unbelievably good aim, work to flank you and, of course since its just you, they focus fire and take you down quickly if you botch it or are so foolish ans to start shooting with limited cover. So stealth is for humans, guns and bombs a blazing for beasts. The new mutant creatures are brilliant and difficult. Fighting is frantic, particularly on the surface where you not only need to manage your sparse ammo (not as sparse on normal as it was in 2033 however) and track your filter time. Its a brilliant way to make the game have real tension and express the panic of a fire fight no matter how tough you are.

I also really appreciated being able to explore the stations and the lives of those in the Metro. It feels very real. While some may be offended by the treatment of women in the game it is NOT unbelievable AT ALL. Some women are tough as nails like Anna the sniper, but others become victims of a horribly transformed world.

The story is very compelling and this is a game of immersion. If you don't like story and taking your time, you will NOT like this game. I look forward to a second play through on Ranger mode. Unlike its predecessor, playing on normal does not feel that hard at least not as hard as 2033. It feels more normal as a challenge instead just damn HARD and confusing.

This is a great survival game with a great story that I hope we will have more of.
  67. May 19, 2013
    This is game of the year. I just love this series. I have read the books i have played all games. And last light isn't a disappointment. It is better in every aspect.
  68. May 16, 2013
    The storyline of the game is very very dull. It's like pushing the w key with a and d once in awhile. Pure linear game play with no open environment other than a random dead guy to loot once in a while a few feet to the side. You are hand-held through the entire game. Hard and ranger mode do not add anything exciting to it other than a simple gun, which is one of the worst.

The voice
    acting is HORRIBLE. There is no emotional development between the characters. Their personalities are shallow and could have had a lot more basis and dimension if more time was spent on them.

The only reason I even bothered to give this game a 3 is due to the graphics which are fair for modern games, not the best, but fair assuming you can even get it to run if you have an ATI video card.

I would not recommend for anyone to buy this game. Total game time is less than nine hours on a single run and you'll be left wishing you had ordered it on a steam sale. I regret pre-ordering it.
  69. May 24, 2013
    Metro: Last Light:
    Best atmosphere that I‘ve seen in games ever.
    Good cut-scenes in Call of Duty stile.
    Nice level design and very interesting storytelling.
  70. May 20, 2013
    The high user score average is a great tell tale sign that this is an awesome game. Loved it from start to finish. It's what gaming is all about aka immersion, action, emotion, fun, etc. I'm struggling to find a single thing I disliked about this game. It's one of those few that stand out amongst the rest. I wasn't a fan of Metro 2033 if I'm honest but A4 games upped the ante and produced a gaming legend. I read about the budget and the conditions the guys had to work in to make this game and that alone makes it a perfect 10. Kudos to A4. Expand
  71. May 15, 2013
    Metro Last Light is an atmospheric post apocalyptic adventure that will take you on a thrill ride from start to finish. MetroLL takes place about a year after the first game and you still play as the silent hero Artym. MetroLL is a story driven game that is written really well and the characters are likable enough to keep you interested in them. The atmosphere and level design are all top notch, especially areas where you get to leave the metro and go to the surface. MetroLL has to be one of the most beautiful pc games I have ever played. I do own the xbox version as well and I have to give credit to 4A games for making a game look this good on pc/consoles. The guns all have a real world feeling to them and the hit detection is much better than in the previous game. The stealth gameplay is much better this time around and allows you to play the game the way you want to. You can go in guns blazing or conserve ammo for the surface and kill quietly in the shadows. MetroLL is a great game that shouldn't be missed if you like a good singleplayer immersive experience. 4A games did a great job on this game and proved that there are a lot of talented developers in Europe. Expand
  72. May 19, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, this game is very fun when you can play it. Much more smooth than 2033, but that's exactly it. When you can play it. This game either crashes, the AI's go haywire (Follow-escorts stop moving) OR you get stuck in one spot and have to go back to a checkpoint to finish the chapter. This game is so buggy it's ridiculous. You get 4/10 by me until you can fix this.
  73. Jun 1, 2013
    I was trying to be generous going through this game and giving it the benefit of the doubt when things were not as smooth as I would have liked. The fact is: This game is garbage! There are no directional indicators for anything and no way of fighting off most of the creatures in the game. The controls are ok but movement is stiff and slow. The npc's are essentially worthless and the story is weak at best (did not read the book). The objectives seem pointless because you never seem to get anywhere and when you do it's another betrayal. You never seem to figure out who or what to kill, not to mention that there is no indication on what weapons are the best to kill what enemies/ damage ratios. I'm completely lost with no hope of redemption on this one. The graphics aren't bad but the dialogue is remedial and abstract, not put together well. I'm not sure why someone bothered to make this game except that someone wrote a book and a lot of people purchased it. Kind of like Harry Potter goes to bombed out Moscow; the only thing is there is no dark wizard and no real story here. Another "Apocolyptic Genecidal FPS" with no real point to make.
    If you like running around a wasteland with giant bugs and radioactive "werewolves" shooting everything in sight then you will probably like this game, for me I prefer a little bit of "mindfulness" to a game. Substance is more of what I crave than just blasting away at everything I see. No points for making a point, but then there's no point in that, either. Seriously, people! Dishonored was better than this by far and that game was a smashing disappointment. Can't somebody make a game that is actually good anymore?
  74. May 22, 2013
    Nothing more than a console port and a bad one at that.

I can't say much more about the game since it's DNF, but from the opening cutscene it's obvious that the game is utterly full of itself what with the hackneyed post-apocalyptic plot written by master author bladi bla who wrote some other vanity press trash.
  75. May 19, 2013
    The game has a unbelievable atmosphere that beats any game that has come out this year. The combat is a huge step up to 2033. The amount of side activities is huge.The game does suffers from frame rate drops. Which in this game were its about immersing its just takes you right out. If this was fixed the game would be a 10 out of 10.
  76. May 19, 2013
    This game is very good especially if you considering the problems 4A have. The game can easily make you lost in it and it has outside influences especially listening around(if you read a lot of books and know your history you will know what I am talking about). The game was made my opinion that it is a masterpiece after I played it the second time playing and exploring the game even further than the first run. The game was worth it to get, too bad that 4A has problems when making the game. I only had put 9/10 because there is always room for improvement. Expand
  77. May 19, 2013
    Metro last light was amazing. The game is beautiful as well as the action packed cut scenes. I hate seeing people hate on this game. I honestly don't understand all the negatives. I think there're just disappointed their rigs cant handle this game. Stupid nubs
  78. May 20, 2013
    The attention to detail in this game is breath taking, at some points in the game I found myself just looking around the metros just taking all the atmosphere in and emerging myself into this games world
    The graphics are some of the best I have ever seen In any game and the game play is Much in proved
    over the previous game
    I think metro last light will be one of the best games of 2013
  79. May 15, 2013
    never beat 2033. while better, not needed to understand last light. i hate fps, and all i have to say about this game, is worthy of the score i am giving it. A complete blast, intense. there are no shallow moments, it has better stealth than spilnter cell ffs.

inceridble atmosphere, gunplay, difficulty, all well paced and very well acted. Optimization is not the best, but if you
    can run it, you are going to absolutely love it, guaranteed. Expand
  80. May 24, 2013
    This game is soooooo friggin' amazing. Great difficulty, I died 4 times while playing on easy! The atmosphere is the best atmosphere in any game to date. Your skin will crawl and the dread that will consume you is palpable. Great controls, graphics, but the sound is iffy in regards to one thing, the melee when stabbing something sounds like something you would hear from playstation 1. Besides that, I can not conjure up a lower score than 10. Metro: Last Light is (hold your breath for this) better than the amazing Bioshock Infinite. I didn't think it was possible, but Last Light's pacing and atmosphere is the best I've seen in any survival horror game. Expand
  81. May 18, 2013
    May 18th 2013. this is the BEST graphics I have seen on a PC game, Just amazing! environments/lighting are WOW! Facial graphics are an 7 out of 10. The game is Extremely Polished! The interface, the movement of the character, excellent work! Attention to detail is also amazing! I am very impressed with this game!
  82. May 18, 2013
    This game is superb in every way, and the only thing I can honestly say is that this is the sequel we've been waiting for, and it is every bit as good as we had hoped.
  83. May 16, 2013
    Just awesome.
    This game, and these developers really are the last hope for PC gaming. They are the only people producing games to the quality which we expect in 2013.

The story, setting, atmosphere, graphics, are all sublime. The gun play is very good, the stealth is very good. It is your DUTY if you appreciate PC games, to buy this and support the developers. We cannot let EA and
    Activision dominate the market when really their best efforts are LAZY by comparison to the makers of Metro.

Frankly this is the best game ive played in years, there is so much love which has gone into it. From texture quality to little jokes such as the russian-doll-box, to the sheer amount of detail in the environments and audio. It is a real meaty enthralling experience i am only too happy to engrose myself with.

I could have knocked a point or two off, for the shadow flickering bugs which i suffered as an ATI user, but the developers have been very quick to release a patch to fix it, and everything is working extremely slick now, no bugs, no crashes.

9.6/10

I have rounded up.
  84. May 16, 2013
    the greatest game you will ever play since Stalker. the second part no doubt bypass Metro2033 by a mile stone, graphics, story, customization, gameplay and artwork all 10/10 stars. I seriously have no idea how some reviewers gave this game 7/10, i believe now some of the reviewers are getting paid tones of money from developers in order put their games at over 9. this game worth every penny you spend on. top game of this year. Expand
  85. Jul 27, 2013
    Metro Last Light is an FPS shooter with linear gameplay and Metal Gear-esque combat, set in a post-apocalyptic world with the human race divided; it comes with a strong story, slick combat, great graphics, and AMAZING ambience make for a breathtakingly immersive atmosphere that pulls you in and doesn't let go. It's not an open-roam game like Borderlands or Fallout 3, but from the beginning it's clear that's not what it sets out to do. Have you ever went on the Disneyland Pirates of the Carribean or Indiana Jones ride where you experience various visual and audio stimulus and it makes you feel as if you are passing through a movie? That's the best way I can describe Metro, though you feel like you’re actually in a movie navigating the gorgeously grim cinematography, fighting monsters and humans alike, strolling through vibrant pockets of civilization this paired with some really cool mechanics like having to crank charge your flashlight after extended use, swap out a cracked gas mask, or occasionally wipe blood off it these all culminate into a very memorable experience that is a welcome breath of fresh air from the achievement-laden, progression-fueled games of today; Metro on the other hand, focuses its attention on storytelling through its gritty realism and quick-pacing. I'm not a huge FPS fan, but I couldn’t help but love this game, I blasted through it in a bit over a day! Expand
  86. May 16, 2013
    In the year of 2013, the world is devastated by nuclear war. What is left of humanity in Moscow runs in to the anti bomb refuge, where sunlight does not reach, and nature is... different. Forgotten by gods, and victims of evil fate, humans survived. But even after one destruction, the metro is on the brink of another, this tame inflamed by wrong believes and twisted ideals, all fueled by man.
    Enter the Metro, and see the things I saw...
    After 2033, I was left with optimistic feeling for the sequel, it didn't disappoint. With almost 10 hours of gameplay, that never feel empty or rushed, you will be on a trilling ride.
    Artyom continues his adventure, joined by old and some new friends. Again we will be leaved in the metro fighting against humans and un humans alike, with good arsenal of weapons that can be customizable to certain extent. The gameplay is still similar to 2033, this time however stealth kills and the stealth itself, I think is polished here. True it sounds and looks retarded when you see just how blind enemies are, when there's no light, I tried with different difficulties, but I didn't find any difference, and still Metro LL was never design as all around stealth shooter, but rather as FPS where you have choices, and that's something I always value in a game.
    My recommendation is to stick to the revolver if you are low on military bullets. Coupled with silencer, and scope and this thing is pocket sniper rifle. Really handy, especially when you want to get rid of hard to reach light resources.
    Again, this game is immersion, pure immersion. So full, reach and detailed. Again you will be amazed how every small city feels alive, populated by real human beings with real problems. Things to do, and interact with, both humans and subjects will make you feel part of a breathing world, done so good, that you can even sense their strong need for survival, their fears, their pain. All bundled with interesting story, and FINALLY, a good character development, rather then plot tools, and you will know that, when you have the urge to kill bad guys.
    I will not spoil the story but I will tell you this:
    - watch your mask, when you are out there, keep the filters count, this time depending on the filters you will know how much time you have
    - everything on the surface is hostile, but some of the wild "animals" actually are enemies, by the law of this new nature. You can find it handy at some times, but don't get too comfortable with it.
    - darkness is your friend, light is your enemy. But sometimes it's the opposite.
    - there are two endings, one is bad for you, and the second good for all. If you know what I mean, check google for guide. It's not easy, but offers a good challenge.
    - exploration is rewarded... If you have the balls that is...
    - Metro LL is not Call of Duty, Battlefield or Fallout. It is in a league of it's own or rather in the league of the actually interesting FPS, like Half Life.
    - no multiplayer in that manner too. Only immersive, story driven game.

I love that game, a worthy sequel. I too feel aggravated by this ranger pack, I hate DLC cheap exploits more then ever, and I hope there isn't more on the way.
    Definitely a must buy for the Metro and FPS fans alike.
    Definelty
  87. May 18, 2013
    Fantastic game from the beginning till the end. I loved metro 2033 and sequel didn't dissapoint. Some of the details and graphics I've seen. Story is very unique and unlike anything I've seen in other games.

Thank you developers for making such a great game I would recommend this to anyone.
  88. May 17, 2013
    This is one of those games that is full immersion. Turn the lights off, and turn the sound up, and it is truly an experience. You can hear far-off noises that add to the game. The controls are very much improved from Metro 2033, and is more like Call of duty controls with spin wheels to select things. A fantastic game in my opinion.
  89. May 18, 2013
    The gameplay of this one is amazing. It has good atmosphere and it feels like it was real. The story is pretty neat. There are only 2 things I don't like about this game: The english speech files were really unrealistic. So I play with the russian ones with english text. And also there are many lags. I have a really good pc but it still is lagging some times.
    It still is one of the best
    survival-fps-games I've ever played. Expand
  90. May 18, 2013
    After playing Metro 2033 time and time again, and loving it more each time through, this game had a lot to live up to in my eyes. Upon purchasing the game, my excitement was almost palpable. From the intro video, all the way to the last dramatic scene, I was 100% captivated. This game is one of the most impressive games I've played. The ambiance is both creepy, and incredibly beautiful at the same time. This game was so well written, the emotion within the game was incredible. Scene to scene, you learned hate, love, fear, and survival. I can go on forever about this game, I bought it, beat it, and I am already about to play it again as soon as I'm done here. The weapons are fun as hell, many more weapons wait for you within the Metro now. New enemies, smarter AI, and a stealth system that actually works (unlike Metro 2033 which could've used a bit more work). I've been raving about this game since I bought it, and I even went as far as to write this review, urging you all to get it. It will not disappoint! Expand
  91. May 18, 2013
    Another masterpiece has joined the ranks of fps games.
    Every moment in the eerrie metro is suspensful as it could be your last. But you tak a moment to look at the stunning and atmospheric scenery. But the peace is ended when a set of bone chilling sounds are set by a pack of mutants coming to slay you. This is just an example of the tense moments the game constantly offers. And not only
    that, the gameplay is amazingly paced and that you are constantly put into different experiences and enviornments. One momment you are fighting a horde of monsters waiting to get on a boat, and the next you are desparetly trying to keep shrimp creaturs off your boat. This game just takes everything about the first one (personaly an 8) and optimizes it to near perfection. The AI is vastly improved from the fiirst and stealth is now a realistic possibility. The plot is also unnpredicable and suspensful. The only real problem with this game is that it ends There are also a couple bugs and I crashed a couple times. Other than that the game is amazing. The addition of boss fights also help, but it feels a bit annoying that it takes 100s of bullts to take down a big beast. And the ending is intense and brings a satisfying conclusion. If you want the basics...

pros:
    Great story
    Atomsphere
    AMAZING graphics
    good AI
    great pacing
    boss fights this is kinda in the middle)
    suspense

cons
    a few bugs
    It Ends
  92. May 18, 2013
    Created an account JUST for this critic! This game is great in all ways! GREAT Graphics, not too heavy on your PC (used Geforce 660ti and it worked perfectly!), GREAT music, GREAT gameplay, GREAT action scenes, Great Story, Great sequel for first game, they are nicely connected!! You feel really merged with the game and main character.... like you're the one using the mask! The rain,mud and blood effects, with you needing to clean it.... The darkness where you try to hide from monsters or be stealth against human enemies.... (JUST CLOSE YOURSELF IN A DARK ROOM AND PLAY IT, its gonna be an unforgettable experience hahaha)!! The paths you have to choose between good and evil is really nice, YOU make your character by YOUR consciousness!! Maintaining those hidden "flashes" from the first game that helps you getting an alternate ending kept me playing a little more Not knowing witch weapon to take, witch one will be more effective..... not knowing if its better to spend your hard earned "money" on new ones and getting upgrades or saving for later....
    Started playing it when it launched on Steam on Friday.... didnt feel Sunday coming O_O........ This game is a MUST BUY!
  93. May 22, 2013
    The guys at A4 Games did a fantastic job with Metro LL. Great story and atmosphere, looks incredible (comparable to Crysis 3 but runs about 100 x better on PC). Well worth the money you put down on and I enjoyed this more then Bioshock Infinite which is a testamant to the games overriding quality.
  94. Jun 14, 2013
    There is definitely foul play going on with all these 10s. This game has the ambition of a CoD campaign, minus the multiplayer and one-game-a-year deadline. The story is very sub-par, the environments are okay, the gameplay is mind-blowingly horrible. If the left mouse button on your mouse works, you can click your way to the ending. It is clunky and on rails the entire time. This game makes Tombraider's somewhat linear setting seem like an MMO. Expand
  95. Jun 2, 2013
    I did not like this game. This is a perfect example of why graphics aren't everything. CONTROLS: Overall, the responsiveness of the controls was great. ENVIRONMENT: I like the concept of the post apocalypse world. If you like open worlds avoid this game. I for one don't really care too much about the world being open but this world was so closed in that I felt like I was on a conveyor belt. VOICE ACTING: Absolutely atrocious. The voice acting in this game is so bad it literally ruined any little bit that I actually liked the game. Terrible, terrible, terrible. GRAPHICS: Great. OVERALL: Been there, done that. This game is nothing new and in fact is does a much worse job than most in a crowded genre. Expand
  96. May 17, 2013
    HL2 Potential Ego Shooter with incredible good Graphics and very deeb Atmosphere. Its linear most times, here and there a little extra to explore. The Locations are all very detailed and you can see and hear the love the Dev´s put into it. The Game is very polished, I didnt encounter any bugs or crashes.
    4A Games showed impressive how awesome a Shooter can be.
  97. May 28, 2013
    A totally frustrating experience.
    The realisation of a post apocalyptic world is fantastic, especially when you are out of the "tunnels" is jaw droppingly amazing. BUT there are several severe draw backs. First off the game breaking glitches. Rooms of "frozen" enemies, and "locked view" in combat. It is no good restarting from last checkpoint, the only way round is to restart the whole
    chapter.
    The story-line goes from pretty interesting to absolute baggy pants in the last third.
    Apart from a few superb "horror" sections, the level design allows for no exploration or interaction and is far to linear Such a shame when the vistas are invitingly stunning.
    The AI are so dumb they deserve to be slaughtered rather than just knocking them out.
    And having to BUY dlc to open up a difficulty mode (Ranger) is utterly shameful.
    This is a story based shooter where the shooting is moderately ok and the storyline goes from Meh to Bleh.
    My advice? Wait till price drops by at least half
  98. May 16, 2013
    It's a good game. It's linear, and there's not much variety to gameplay in the tunnels but it's a worthy successor to the Metro2033, even if sometimes i feel that Metro2033 is the superior game of the two, in terms of content as opposed to graphics. The graphics, on the other hand, are well done, though the animation can get a bit stiff at times, but it's nothing i couldn't overlook. After the update they released it flows better than before on the old AMD, so big points there as well. Story-wise it's a home run, just like it's predecessor and the pacing alone can carry the game through. After reading about the harsh conditions the people of 4A studios were subjected to during development, i think they should be commended on their enormous effort, not only to push this game out, but to do right by its fans and customers, considering the circumstances. Their work was nothing short of absolute heroism. Bravo! Expand
  99. May 16, 2013
    Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite and now Metro Last Light. This year of starting was good for Single FPS campaign genre games. I did play Metro 2033, that was quite interesting but little bit boring at some times because of slow story but the fear and thriller in Metro 2033 was great i enjoyed it and i bought this Metro LL on release date and this game is success to it's previous title. A deep story pretty much things to explore and understanding all the meanings of each thing and missions is little complicated. Then comes time you have to take decisions.

If you are one of them who is bored because of "Artyom do this do that, sure it has lot of dialogues and follow up" and you can't go anywhere else but that's how game suppose to be, it also gives pretty much things to explore, if one knows where to look. This game is about story telling and keeping up pace with that too. MLL didn't bore be on some occasions like Metro 2033 did and i did all my mission in stealth type Hardcore ranger mode. It was intense fighting the Reds, Reich and Monsters. Give it a try this game is good. I rate this game no.1 followed by is BioShock Infinite and then comes Tomb Raider!
  100. May 18, 2013
    I think this game doesn't deserve score 10 like any other game, but when i see nonsense like Bioshock infinite with so high scores I'm gonna give 10 to Metro LL.

I have small problems with AI in this game. NPC AI should be more aggressive, especially if developers throw surviving concept in game. It should really force you to use stealth.

Sure, for casual player there is always low
    difficulty level. Expand
  101. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. *SOME STORY SPOILERS BELOW*

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Metro Last Light improves on several of the originals shortcomings but also has a few of its own. Mainly the artificial intelligence needs lots of work otherwise Metro Last Light with its hybrid of quality action and engaging storytelling would maybe have been one of the best games of the year.
    I do not recommend this to arachnophobiacs and story-lovers. Nonetheless, the game's atmosphere is so thick you are going to be just blown away. Furthermore, the game has outstanding battles. [Issue#231]
  3. Jun 23, 2013