Metro: Last Light PC

8.6

1. Sep 17, 2013
    If you're a big fan of playing through the tutorials and prologues at the beginning of a game.. look no further. 7 hours of clicking on stuff when you're told to with a few minutes where you're allowed to walk forward at your own pace. Completely on rails.

Your choices don't matter. It's all scripted. There's no customization worth mentioning. If you're after a juiced up version of "Stalker" then that's not what this is.

Basically, it's a movie you click on. With that said, it's a clean game. No glitching, bugs, or any of that. Story is alright
  2. Nov 21, 2013
    I enjoyed Metro Last Light however I feel that it could have been an expansion for Metro: 2033 because both the gameplay as well as the graphics are almost the same. There are a little too many cutscenes where the game holds you hand and just lets you watch or maybe tells you to rapidly press a button. I feel as if there are more of that compared to the original Metro 2033. You can make aI enjoyed Metro Last Light however I feel that it could have been an expansion for Metro: 2033 because both the gameplay as well as the graphics are almost the same. There are a little too many cutscenes where the game holds you hand and just lets you watch or maybe tells you to rapidly press a button. I feel as if there are more of that compared to the original Metro 2033. You can make a few smaller choices of strategy and customize your weapon load out but that's it. All in all the game is exiting even though, like I said, it's very linear. It's also beautiful to look at given your PC can handle it. Expand
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    Even for a "rail shooter" this game is still mildly fun, especially with the stealth element. It's not very often that a game can blend both stealth play and traditional shooter play, Metro does not do this well, but it does do it better than others. The stealth aspect is very important to maintain because without making a headshot, you might as well be firing spitballs at the enemies.Even for a "rail shooter" this game is still mildly fun, especially with the stealth element. It's not very often that a game can blend both stealth play and traditional shooter play, Metro does not do this well, but it does do it better than others. The stealth aspect is very important to maintain because without making a headshot, you might as well be firing spitballs at the enemies. There are serious issues with balance when it comes down to it. Most of the guns just plain suck, they do pretty much close to zero damage, except the revolver of course. If you don't stack 3 of them as your weapons then you're basically putting yourself at a huge disadvantage. Grab 1 revolver for each; stealth, long-range, and short/mid-range, and you'll be set for the entire game. Besides the guns, there are numerous "thrown" items that you can use. You won't though, because that damn revolver dwarfs everything. It's always quicker to just shoot, even if you have to reload first. Besides the throwables, you also have the ability to knife. DO NOT EVER USE THE KNIFE. It is completely broken and horribly implemented into the game. You'll never stab where you're aiming; You'll always hit left or right of where you actually aimed, leaving the enemy free to ruin your face. Along with that, the animations for the stabbing are so jerky and sporadic that there is a curve to get used to the games horrible animations, just so you can used to the knifes horrible aim. I repeat, do not ever knife in this game unless you are stealth-killing someone.

The story and dialogue are, well, I can't comment on the story in full because the lack of play testing (or so I assume) is keeping me from completing the game. I'm stuck at the armored were-beast thing down in the catacombs with 1 good gun (the revolver), and two piles of sh!t (shotgun, and the so-called "best and most sought after AR in the Metro"), along with all the other useless weapons at my disposal. I carefully spend my time putting upwards of 300 bullets into the bosses face, only to be left to use my throwables, only then to be left to stab. Always resulting in my death. Again, this game has some serious balance issues. Bad as the issues are, I still want to complete the story and find out what the deal is with the overly affectionate Dark One that seems to have a boner for Art. As far as the dialogue is concerned, it's pretty bad. You remember back in grade school, when you had to read a paper in front of the class? And everyone always did it as quick as possible with absolutely no emotion? Yeah, the voice "acting" is that bad. The mouths don't even attempt to line up with the words coming out of them, but that's nothing new for video games.

The environments in the game are actually really good. Whether you're in the metro or above ground, there is an innate sense of immersion that they achieve. When you're crawling around underground you really feel like it's a subway; tight spaces, open exposed pipes, and bugs, TONS of bugs and webs really help bring the atmosphere to life in the otherwise droll grey colors in the metro. Above ground, there's a sense like at any moment the wrong footstep could unleash hell on your unsuspecting ass. Whether you're in the grasslands, the marsh, or wherever, the above ground environments really project a sense of desolation in a ruined world. The enemies above ground are great too, if only the guns did more damage. 8 shots to the face with a shotgun and you're still charging right for me? Give me a break, that's entirely unrealistic, even for fiction.

So what's the verdict? If you can get it for free or borrow it, definitely give it a try. I wouldn't pay any more $20 for it though.
  4. Jun 24, 2014
    Would be a 9 or 10 if it wasn't so darn short. I got 10.5 hrs of game play to finish it on medium difficulty and really tried to explore all the areas etc, although I know I missed a few. Yes, there's the option to play through for another ending and yes the areas that do exist are spectacular, and the story is totally decent, but 10 hrs is just too short for a AAA game in my opinion.Would be a 9 or 10 if it wasn't so darn short. I got 10.5 hrs of game play to finish it on medium difficulty and really tried to explore all the areas etc, although I know I missed a few. Yes, there's the option to play through for another ending and yes the areas that do exist are spectacular, and the story is totally decent, but 10 hrs is just too short for a AAA game in my opinion. 20-30 should really be the bare minimum developers shoot for. I have 46 in borderlands 2 not counting any DLC play time and still working on the main quest. More backtracking there of course, but still. This game is worth it if you get it on sale, but for me full price is too much for 10 hrs of play time. And ranger mode costs extra! Expand
  5. Jul 7, 2013
    An OK Game But Not The Hype

The Good: Creates genuine eerie and scary feeling while playing, Very polished The Bad: Unspectacular game engine, "clunky" controls/movement (see below), extremely linear game play, stereotypical plot, misses some elements which would make the game really stand out. Makes plenty of use of "old-style" things without bringing really anything new to the table
    An OK Game But Not The Hype

The Good: Creates genuine eerie and scary feeling while playing, Very polished
    The Bad: Unspectacular game engine, "clunky" controls/movement (see below), extremely linear game play, stereotypical plot, misses some elements which would make the game really stand out. Makes plenty of use of "old-style" things without bringing really anything new to the table for the genre.

This is an "ok" game but it could have been so much more. While the game has a very polished feel and it's clear that a lot of development time went into it, I have several issues with the game.

The plot/story is very stereotypical and reminds me somehow about HL2 or this or the other game, such as Doom. It is your typical post-apocalyptic shooter and has some "nice" elements in it, but somehow feels more like a mix of games most people in all likelihood already played. Here is one example: The game makes heavy use of light(s) where you can hide in shadows or use the lights to shoo away mobs. 10 years ago everybody would have said it's a really great thing to add such an element to a game, but today it just feels like a re-hash of things we already know from Doom 2 and similar games.

People are raving about the graphics and the game engine, but in my opinion for a AAA game in 2013 the graphics are lacking and are definitely NOT up to par. Occasionally the engine makes the look like a clone of the source engine from the very old HL2, but here is the kicker: Ancient Valve's source engine was already better 10 years ago. The game is full with items which are static you cannot interact with. You shoot at pieces of furniture or other environment stuff, but the stuff doesn't even move despite the fact that the engine makes use of physicX. The game's engine feels and looks very outdated in my opinion. You come across switch boxes and similar things which all has no "use", making the entire world feel dead, unlike in eg. Source engine where you had much more freedom interacting/shooting stuff, making the world "feel" much more life-like.

There are situations in the game where you need to jump or crawl into places, but the movement seems "clunky" and you cannot crawl but first need to jump or do other awkward things because otherwise you are stuck and cannot proceed. Awkward somehow.

The game is missing a (in my opinion) very important HUD showing your health which becomes extremely annoying since you never know how far your health is down. This is critical since you need to use "health packs" on occasion and basically never know when. There is also no map system or other helpful things like in other games. While some might see this as a positive thing I see it as a negative because it just adds to the frustration.

The "change your filter" requirement for the gas mask has no real "use" in terms of game-play but frankly just annoys. It's like a total unnecessary element (IMO) just added for a extra frustration if you are somewhere looking for ammo, shoot monsters etc...while you at some point will choke because you don't have a filter for the gas mask. It's nothing but an entire annoying element they added to make the game more frustrating.

The game lacks entirely RPG-style elements, say, as compared to Far Cry 3 or similar games where you can in addition do crafting or hunting and by doing this become stronger. There is nothing in this game like that except going through the story and either shoot stuff.

The game feels extremely linear and limited in freedom one has, it is a very old-style shooter which seems to be made by people whom the last 10 years of gaming entirely eluded. It could have been THE top game of the year which could've been the next HL2 or make games like Bioshock Inf. look like garbage, but by using a very traditional and outdated approach along with a very inflexible game engine they only managed it to make an "ok" game, not the superb game this could've been.

The positive thing about the game is that it manages to really create a scary, eerie atmosphere...eg. nothing beats crawling through spider-infested holes and not knowing what awaits you around the corner, but as said there are too many things...what's the word...not "lacking"...but "too streamlined", "too traditional", "not unique enough". Let me explain it that way:

No one would say that a Toyota Corolla is a bad car. In fact, some people might think that a Corolla is a really good car to have. But if someone would have a ton of money, maybe won the lottery, they would hardly say "OMG! Now I can finally buy a Toyota Corolla!" So...that game is like the Toyota Corolla of games. It's ok, but too unspectacular and too conventional in what it does.
  6. May 28, 2013
    A totally frustrating experience.
    A totally frustrating experience.
    The realisation of a post apocalyptic world is fantastic, especially when you are out of the "tunnels" is jaw droppingly amazing. BUT there are several severe draw backs. First off the game breaking glitches. Rooms of "frozen" enemies, and "locked view" in combat. It is no good restarting from last checkpoint, the only way round is to restart the whole chapter.
    The story-line goes from pretty interesting to absolute baggy pants in the last third.
    Apart from a few superb "horror" sections, the level design allows for no exploration or interaction and is far to linear Such a shame when the vistas are invitingly stunning.
    The AI are so dumb they deserve to be slaughtered rather than just knocking them out.
    And having to BUY dlc to open up a difficulty mode (Ranger) is utterly shameful.
    This is a story based shooter where the shooting is moderately ok and the storyline goes from Meh to Bleh.
    My advice? Wait till price drops by at least half
  7. Jun 2, 2013
    I did not like this game. This is a perfect example of why graphics aren't everything. CONTROLS: Overall, the responsiveness of the controls was great. ENVIRONMENT: I like the concept of the post apocalypse world. If you like open worlds avoid this game. I for one don't really care too much about the world being open but this world was so closed in that I felt like I was on a conveyorI did not like this game. This is a perfect example of why graphics aren't everything. CONTROLS: Overall, the responsiveness of the controls was great. ENVIRONMENT: I like the concept of the post apocalypse world. If you like open worlds avoid this game. I for one don't really care too much about the world being open but this world was so closed in that I felt like I was on a conveyor belt. VOICE ACTING: Absolutely atrocious. The voice acting in this game is so bad it literally ruined any little bit that I actually liked the game. Terrible, terrible, terrible. GRAPHICS: Great. OVERALL: Been there, done that. This game is nothing new and in fact is does a much worse job than most in a crowded genre. Expand
  8. May 30, 2013
    GOOD: What I really like about it is: It has a dense and very well told atmosphere. One of the best I have seen so far. The shooting and game play is very good too. The graphics nice and detailed.
    BAD: There are so many invisible walls and such a tight corridor you are running through, that it always feels like you are forced down a tight alley, not knowing, where you can jump in/on and where not. This massively decreased gaming experience for me.
  9. May 27, 2013
    First, the bad stuff.

First, the bad stuff.

Played this through in one sitting (not in itself a bad thing) on a high end dual graphics card machine However, some "levels" (the periods between loading screens) seemed to be very small, and control is taken away from the player very frequently for extremely boring cutscenes or poorly written dialogue THAT CANNOT BE SKIPPED. This was intensely jarring for me together with the cinematic "fade to black" effects that for some reason last up to 10 seconds (literally just staring at a black screen before a loading screen comes up, and this is with a pretty fast SSD so I think this is a conscious development decision) this seriously detracted from the immersion for me. What's the point of a first person perspective in-game rendered cut scene if the player can't have full control of his actions? Artyom falls unconscious in this game very, very often so often that you have to wonder about how much brain damage he's accumulated the story telling gimmick is overused to the point of ridiculousness.

I wasn't particularly moved by the story or the atmosphere that the other reviewers are so gushing about the post nuclear apocalypse theme was done far better with Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and the story is a typical on rails "why can't we be friends" feel good boredom that we've all seen before.

Good stuff, as an FPS it is decent and enjoyable, with both stealth and straight up shooting well rewarded. But frankly, not worth the $50 price of admission.
  10. Oct 15, 2013
    I would say this game barely, barely makes the cut, certainly worth it if you can find it for under $10 but otherwise, don't bother. Game play is short and the overall experience is uneven. There are simply too many moments spent trying to figure out what the level designers are trying to get you to do to move through a section, too many over-powered opponents for no good reason, and tooI would say this game barely, barely makes the cut, certainly worth it if you can find it for under $10 but otherwise, don't bother. Game play is short and the overall experience is uneven. There are simply too many moments spent trying to figure out what the level designers are trying to get you to do to move through a section, too many over-powered opponents for no good reason, and too many moments where the game takes over to move you on rails to the next event. All of that absolutely ruins the game by pulling the player entirely out of the experience and that's a real shame as the graphics are stellar, the voice acting adequate and the atmosphere foreboding. But invariably, every time you start to get drawn in by the story, the art and the action, something happens to pull you right back out. It's unfortunate. I think the best test for me of what separates a great game from a mediocre one is this: would I go back and play it again, even just part of it? No chance for Metro: Last Light; while it does have a few flashes of brilliance, the game play is ultimately just too disjointed. Expand
  11. Jul 6, 2013
    after metro 2033 was an really amazing game, i had high expectations for last light.
    first of all, the graphics at last light are stunning, for the most part, but some stuff like human skin looks like rubber.
    the animations, the detailed levels, especially all the details in the human domiciles are really well made. light and water effects are awesome. the negative things: you

light and water effects are awesome.

the negative things:
    you have to pay 50€ for a game and then you have to BUY a harder difficulty as a dlc? what?

the game has a lot of bugs, if you walk around too much, you regulary get stuck, or you fall out of the map, or enemies get stuck, etc.

enemy ai is terrible, if you can even talk about INTELLIGENCE in this constellation.
    the human enemies can sometimes be stabbed in the face without reaction,

the mutants run at you like an unstoppable force, all you can do is headshot them to make them less annoying.

the story itself is interesting but the gameplay makes the game so dull and monotonous that i was just happy that its over.

metro last light is an awesome graphic demo, with terrible game features.

wait for a sale, its not worth more than 10€ $10
  12. Aug 4, 2013
    -1 point for console port interface (and controls) on pc.
    -2 points for unskippable intro (and ad) that is extra long: do these people know I paid $50 for this?
    Apart from that it's fine but nothing special. Not even new weapons compared to 2033.
  13. Oct 2, 2013
    Too bad a good game was ruined by the lack of ammo and filters.Sorry metro but I am not that guy who redo the whole chapter after almost completing it ,due to silly things like the lack of ammo and filters.I have completed about 65% of the game,it is about 7/10 until I reached chapters with the problem I described above.This why I deleted it and gave it only 5/10
  14. Jul 3, 2013
    To scripted.
    Feels more like watching a movie then playing a game sometimes.
    Few choices to impact anything.
    No character development.
    Few weapon choices.
    OK weapon customization.
    Looks good.
    Combat feels good.
    To short, 15 hours to complete on normal.
    Intro/game startup way to long, forced, cant skip.

Could and should have been so much more.
  15. Jul 4, 2013
    Want to Pay extra for standard game features? No thanks, I will wait till its 5$ like Metro 2033. That game was great. If you like 2033, you will like this game.
  16. May 16, 2013
    The game has a good atmosphere, story, and setting, but I'm afraid the gameplay is pretty dull. The game is very linear, and combat is boring. You are told exactly what to do, and there are few things to be figured out by your own or discovered. Fighting humans requires some stealth, but fighting mutants is just spray and pray. However, even while fighting humans, the AI extremely stupid;The game has a good atmosphere, story, and setting, but I'm afraid the gameplay is pretty dull. The game is very linear, and combat is boring. You are told exactly what to do, and there are few things to be figured out by your own or discovered. Fighting humans requires some stealth, but fighting mutants is just spray and pray. However, even while fighting humans, the AI extremely stupid; they can't see you even if you are right in front of them, they don't know how to flank you in combat (in fact they barely even move at all in combat, once they spot you they more or less just keep firing until either one of you die). The game is pretty short and easy for a game that doesn't have the multiplayer and relies on its single player. I finished the game in around 7 hours, which is around the same amount of time as it takes to finish Call of Duty's single player. On normal difficulty you can run past most enemies, mutants and humans alike, and there is only the occasional boss you must fight (such as the mutant in the catacombs or the one in the swamp, both of which, by the way, are extremely boring to fight and basically bullet sponges). The morality system is also extremely flawed just like in the first game; there is no way to save your game so if by the middle of the game you realize you are not getting enough morality points you are going to have to restart the whole game just to get the good ending. It is also based too much on decisions you make during combat; for example, one of the biggest parts to getting the good ending is not killing anyone on several of the missions. Even if you spare some of the enemies, you will not get any morality bonus. Also, I see no reason why they would let you have the choice of knocking out enemies or killing them with the knife, because they basically have the same effect. The enemies you "knock out" are not going to wake up after a certain period of time. You can even take their gas mask filters away and leave them to die from suffocation after knocking them out and it will still count as sparing them.

The game is also extremely poorly optimized; it lags a lot just like the first game. Bear in mind that BF3 runs smoothly on Ultra settings on my computer, yet Metro lags like hell even on Normal.

Overall, fun but extremely flawed and not something I would play a second time despite it being extremely short (around 7 hours) in length.
  17. May 18, 2013
    This isn't a bad game, but not a great one either. I like the story and the atmosphere of the game, but the gameplay is a bit dull. The AI is slightly idiotic, especially when it comes to stealth type of fight. With some tweaks this could have been a great game.
  18. May 15, 2013
    Metro: Last Light has some very interesting ideas, which if approached and developed correctly can lead to a very compelling game. However, by playing the game i came to a conclusion that the game lacks consistency and at times feels dull. It is a shooter with very few RPG elements, so if you except something like Fallout don't raise your hopes. The game has great graphics and what itMetro: Last Light has some very interesting ideas, which if approached and developed correctly can lead to a very compelling game. However, by playing the game i came to a conclusion that the game lacks consistency and at times feels dull. It is a shooter with very few RPG elements, so if you except something like Fallout don't raise your hopes. The game has great graphics and what it shines the most at is it's world and the created atmosphere; however, once again it is not consistent. Intriguing moments are followed on and on with dull shooting or stealth combat sequences (depending on your style of play). The A.I. in the game is not that bright and by being stealth one can finish the game relatively easy. In addition, Game series like Bioshock are way ahead in the mechanics of gameplay. Furthermore, after playing Metro: Last light for a couple of hours the repetitiveness of gameplay made the game get less and less interesting or engaging. It is by no means a bad game, it's just that there are so many better quality shooters on the market right now at a better price. One should wait and get this game when the price drops or get it on sale. Expand
  19. May 23, 2013
    The story further develops the themes of the previous game, great post-apocalyptic atmosphere, the stealthy missions are really good, weapon customization is a nice addition.Metro:LS has a good lenght and good replay values. The game is also rather linear, with many cinematic interruptions. The world is very restricted, even when you are on the surface, and the enemies are rather scriptedThe story further develops the themes of the previous game, great post-apocalyptic atmosphere, the stealthy missions are really good, weapon customization is a nice addition.Metro:LS has a good lenght and good replay values. The game is also rather linear, with many cinematic interruptions. The world is very restricted, even when you are on the surface, and the enemies are rather scripted with a moderate AI. Not bad (actually everybody likes this game), but I do not think it deserves 8.8 user scores. I think I am objective when it comes to Video game reviews. This is how I fell, do not hate. Expand
  20. May 23, 2013
    This game has many parallels to Bioshock Infinite. It takes a well-built world and an 'interesting' story as a starting point but then forces them down the players' throats in the form of a totally linear, on-rails 'game'. What the developers have achieved is great in its own right, but sadly as a gaming experience it is too narrow and overly pre-determined. A lot to love here though. TheThis game has many parallels to Bioshock Infinite. It takes a well-built world and an 'interesting' story as a starting point but then forces them down the players' throats in the form of a totally linear, on-rails 'game'. What the developers have achieved is great in its own right, but sadly as a gaming experience it is too narrow and overly pre-determined. A lot to love here though. The stealth and combat are well done, and the story is better than the ridiculousness of BI. A good game and one to buy when its on sale at an appropriate price of around $20. Expand
  21. May 17, 2013
    This game did a great job keeping the atmosphere that the previous game created. The story is great with no annoying plot-holes, unless you didn't play the first game. The pacing of this game was smooth and enjoyable. I haven't encountered any game breaking bugs but there are many complaints about them. I did, however, seen some blacks holes and some animations needing fixing. The accentsThis game did a great job keeping the atmosphere that the previous game created. The story is great with no annoying plot-holes, unless you didn't play the first game. The pacing of this game was smooth and enjoyable. I haven't encountered any game breaking bugs but there are many complaints about them. I did, however, seen some blacks holes and some animations needing fixing. The accents in the game aren't as heavy compared to the first one. This bothered me and broke some immersion. The control scheme was changed a lot to make it easier for game-pad use. This is a linear corridor shooter not a open world game. The AI are a little dumber so stealth isn't harder to use. The thing is, the AI are a little too dumb. You can be two feet in front of a enemy, if in the shadows, and you won't be seen. I've stealth killed a enemy npc from a top of a train who fell down in front of some more enemy npc's. Not a single one of them looked to the position he fell from. There's no traps, hanging cans, or glass on the ground that can be accidentally triggered to give your position away. This was overall still a very nice game to play and own. Expand
  22. Aug 21, 2014
    An average, nice-to-look-at corridor shooter (or should I say 'sneaker'?) Metro is back with an unnecessary sequel to do the same thing all over again, no changes have been made to the amount hand-holding, railroading and massive linearity present in the first one... and Christ, ambient "details" do not make a good game! Story is OK, graphics are good (as they should be), all Metro does isAn average, nice-to-look-at corridor shooter (or should I say 'sneaker'?) Metro is back with an unnecessary sequel to do the same thing all over again, no changes have been made to the amount hand-holding, railroading and massive linearity present in the first one... and Christ, ambient "details" do not make a good game! Story is OK, graphics are good (as they should be), all Metro does is make me want to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again. Expand
  23. Jun 5, 2013
    First of all, I must express my extreme disgust at Ranger Mode being sold as DLC. What blatant profiteering. I deducted two points alone for that. Way to push to PC gaming closer to the edge of oblivion 4A, greedy bastards!

Onto the game. First the pros: extremely detailed and beautiful graphics, a must see at 1440p. The sound is well done also, and the weapons are great fun. What mutants and monsters there are are great. Action is awesome as well in some places. The atmosphere of this game is nearly tangible; I haven't been creeped out by a game in a while. It truly feels like the world of Metro 2033 still. The most impressive areas of the game are all surface areas. It really seems like a bleak, dangerous and lost world, overrun by mutants.

Onto the bad. I already mentioned the odious DLC practice, so this part concerns game play. The game is extremely linear, like its predecessor, but seems even more so in LL. Feels like I can't explore at all and the all explorable areas are painfully obvious. Also, in Hardcore or even Ranger Hardcore, the enemy AI is very stupid and boring. If it's somewhat dark in an area full on enemies, you can quite easily sneak right behind them without notice, and if they do notice, they'll convince themselves it was nothing. Or, just silently head shot an entire room of enemies no sweat, no challenge. If you do rouse the enemy, usually intentionally, it is way too easy to lose them. They won't give chase more than a few feet and usually end up running in circles shouting or mindlessly into the wall.

Monsters and mutants are much more fun to fight, but are very, very infrequent. It got very old in the game fighting people most of the time. There is too little of a supernatural feel to this game, something 2033 was far superior at.

Also, I love a good engrossing story in an FPS, but this game is ridiculous in how much agency they take away from the character. It seems like the game takes control of Artyom a lot, in cut scenes, even in the midst of battle. It really decreases the immersion for me, losing control of my character so much.

And the ending is extremely anticlimactic, frustrating, and disappointing. It's clearly intended to do nothing more than suggest a sequel, much like crappy movies and TV shows do.

In conclusion, I'm sorry to say that the Metro franchise has been overtaken and ruined by corporate meddling. It's difficult to know who to blame for this with so many different brands smeared on the box cover. Greedy DLC policies and serial treatment may be becoming the norm for PC games, but I always be critical of such policies as will most hardcore gamers.
  24. May 16, 2013
    Not a bad game, but not great either. The AI is dreadful, two mobs standing next to one another, shoot on in the head, other just stands there. Which is not game breaking, but for a game that has a lot of stealth elements, it just really takes away from the overall game. Also would of liked to see more open enviornment. Has a perfect setting for it, and more hunting of the rare utatedNot a bad game, but not great either. The AI is dreadful, two mobs standing next to one another, shoot on in the head, other just stands there. Which is not game breaking, but for a game that has a lot of stealth elements, it just really takes away from the overall game. Also would of liked to see more open enviornment. Has a perfect setting for it, and more hunting of the rare utated monsters would of gone a long way. Good game, but one again, a game that could of been amazing with some tweaks. Expand
  25. May 20, 2013
    Not a bad game, just surely not a 10 either, it feels more like something you are watching than playing, so many parts that seem rather critical in the game you lose all control and watch whatever is happening take place. The stealth parts of the game were by far the most fun for me personally but even that is kinda tainted when you realize how stupid the AI can be and that half the timeNot a bad game, just surely not a 10 either, it feels more like something you are watching than playing, so many parts that seem rather critical in the game you lose all control and watch whatever is happening take place. The stealth parts of the game were by far the most fun for me personally but even that is kinda tainted when you realize how stupid the AI can be and that half the time and you can just walk right up in front of them and shoot them. The graphics are great and the combat can be fun but all in all it is just way to linear for my liking, no choices really. Expand
  26. May 16, 2013
    If like me you weren't too crazy about the original game, you shouldn't buy this, and should instead wait until it too drops to a single digit price tag before purchasing. The game is extremely overpriced and is as poorly optimized as the original.
  27. May 18, 2013
    The game is almost exactly like the first one. It is between an interactive movie and a very linear shooter. The shooter part is as mediocre as it was in the first one. They added stealth, which works in a ridiculous way: you can stand literally just in front of the guard and he does not see you. Which makes combat with people extremely easy, while combat with monsters is much harder andThe game is almost exactly like the first one. It is between an interactive movie and a very linear shooter. The shooter part is as mediocre as it was in the first one. They added stealth, which works in a ridiculous way: you can stand literally just in front of the guard and he does not see you. Which makes combat with people extremely easy, while combat with monsters is much harder and is pretty annoying for a casual game. The story and characters are also as extremely dumb and childish as in the first game (and I read and liked the original book). For some reason, every other post-nuclear survivor was a WWII reenactor. On a plus side, graphics got significantly improved and is actually very nice to look at. I guess graphics and general atmosphere is what sells this game, but there's not much else to it. Expand
  28. May 16, 2013
    Hours of switching between tunnels, cities, and the surface, being told what to do for who and why, shooting and stabbing. That's pretty much Metro Last Light. The game looks good at points, but never lives up to today's standards. The combat is dull and boring, and if not too easy, it's too unforgivingly hard.
  29. Jul 22, 2013
    With the world created by the original author its hard to lose, add the sort of detail and quality of graphics this game has and you get truly immersive. The devs not making a game for children and including a healthy dose of adult oriented gaming really adds to the feeling and atmosphere in Metro.

Nice to have a game that isnt corny and juvenile. At times it is very very creepy and the atmosphere and intensity is maintained.

There were 2 things I didnt like at all about this game. This is an amazing world and a great environment. I want to see more of it and while the tunnels are a limiting factor the amount of real estate in the game is very small indeed. Free roam Metro for Metro 3 should be on the requirements list in the same way several other major titles are doing the same thing.

The most important requirement for me though is the field of view. OMG, I hate this low field of view games. Makes me feel very nauseous very quickly. However, despite this I really enjoyed the story if the FOV didnt detract from how good the actual game is quite a lot. Felt a lot like an endurance test concerning the FOV but the detail, characters and story somehow manage to carry it. Was worth buying.

Open world metro with the same depth, darkness, creepiness and willingness to make a game for adults? Now that I would pay a great deal to see.
  30. Sep 20, 2013
    A good game, but in retrospect I would not pay 50$ for this title. It's more like a cinematic movie with linear levels that offer any real choice to the user. You do get to go all over ruined Moscow, but there's never any real fear the game does a lot of hand holding and on later levels even highlights enemies for you through walls. I was low on ammo in just one level, everywhere else,A good game, but in retrospect I would not pay 50$ for this title. It's more like a cinematic movie with linear levels that offer any real choice to the user. You do get to go all over ruined Moscow, but there's never any real fear the game does a lot of hand holding and on later levels even highlights enemies for you through walls. I was low on ammo in just one level, everywhere else, there's ammo stashed around every corner and in very obvious places. Gas mask filters all over the place. At the end of the game I racked over 40 minutes of gas mask free time.

For a very dark game, the stealth part is fairly lacking you get one shot kills with throwing knives, and can put a silencer on just about anything, even shotguns. Enemies don't camp, don't use night vision, even if it is in the models. So stealth one hit kills are not a problem. When the battle does break out, it's really short, because 90% of the enemies have headlamps. Shoot the headlamp, I think I racked more headshots in this game than in any other game ever. Just aim for the lamp. All together, I enjoyed the dark gritty atmosphere until the supernatural stuff started to pop all over the place. This felt just wrong.
  31. May 25, 2013
    Being a huge fan of Metro 2033, I was extremely excited to find out about this sequel. I had been anticipating this game for two whole years. Now that it's come out and I've played it, I can say that I absolutely love this game. About as much as the first one. There are things about it I DON'T like, but it was the same case with the first game (and plenty of other games I've played andBeing a huge fan of Metro 2033, I was extremely excited to find out about this sequel. I had been anticipating this game for two whole years. Now that it's come out and I've played it, I can say that I absolutely love this game. About as much as the first one. There are things about it I DON'T like, but it was the same case with the first game (and plenty of other games I've played and own). I don't expect any game to be flawless. I don't even consider my most beloved games (Metroid Prime 1, Half Life 2) to be perfect. Last Light has flaws and shortcomings speckled about an otherwise amazing experience. It's like biting in to a delicious-looking cookie only to find out that it had nuts in it, and you don't like nuts. The cookie still tastes really good, but the nuts in it give it that weird "nut" consistency that you hate. But in the end you still eat it because it's not enough to ruin it entirely. Anyway, visually speaking, the game looks fantastic. It's not a vast improvement over 2033, but 2033 already looked damn good. Everything just looks more polished overall. I don't understand some of the negative reviews that complain about unpolished visuals. Nothing about the visuals looks even remotely unpolished. As far as gameplay goes, this is where things get a little inconsistent. The thing is, 2033 was practically the same. Stealth is, for me, a huge factor. I loved the stealth in 2033, but it was really freaking difficult to tell if an enemy would detect you or not. You had the light indicator on your wrist watch, but it wasn't reliable. In Last Light, you have the same light indicator, but it's actually reliable. If the light on your watch isn't shining, you're invisible. They also added knife executions, which is damn cool, but that and throwing knives are literally the only two methods of disposal while in stealth. If you try and shoot a bad guy in the head with a silenced weapon, you have a pretty good chance of alerting another bad guy, followed by the entire room full of bad guys. At that point you might as well just open fire and kill everyone. One thing they did right that a lot of developers don't do is make the AI's behaviors rather fair. Aside from the finicky detection-alert behavior, NPCs don't "cheat" to create a fake and unfair challenge. Something I can appreciate. And as far as gunplay goes, the guns are simply awesome, just like in 2033. AI during heavy combat isn't the smartest, but it isn't god awful. I could think of games with worse AI. Was still expecting a little better from 4A. The game's strongest points in my opinion are the phenomenal atmosphere and the unique story. 2033 had some strange, trippy elements to it, but Last Light really expands on that and sets the world in motion. The dead city has a very unique look to it now. In general, the art direction has really improved and is more stylized. All it needs is a bit of polish on gameplay and it'll be near perfect. The narrative isn't super strong, and voice acting can be downright awful at times (adults trying to voice act for toddler characters just DOES NOT WORK). I really didn't appreciate how companions constantly tell you what to do. Pull that lever, climb up here, open that door. It makes sense for some things, but generally speaking, players want to progress freely without being commanded around by AI. I was really disappointed to discover that Ranger mode was a pre-order DLC and you had to purchase it separately if you bought the standard edition. 2033 was updated with Ranger mode and two new weapons some months after it launched; for free. No DLC crap. I feel like I really want to blame Deep Silver for this one. It was the one thing I was afraid of when I found out they bought the IP from THQ. We were fortunate enough for the game to be mostly finished prior to the IP being sold, so Deep Silver didn't interfere much in its core development. THANK GOD. Regardless, Ranger mode had no business being a DLC. It should have been part of the core game, free of charge. Not only is it a feature not suitable to be sold as a separate DLC, but it was ALREADY PART OF THE GAME. It's just unsavory of a company to take content hat already exists in the game and exclude it as a DLC just so they can nickle and dime their customers. Just because some customers are willing to blindly pay extra doesn't mean you should actually charge them accordingly. Overall, this game deserves a 7 in my books. I don't consider the DLC shenanigans as a detriment to its quality, because that's just corporate stuff that shouldn't affect the gamer's experience in the end. If 4A starts focusing on AI, game mechanics, and voice casting, then I feel like they can really make a truly superb game. Last Light is certainly a step in the right direction, but it's forgetting a few of its roots while not trying hard enough to move forward in a few areas. Expand
  32. Jul 26, 2013
    The game should have a better support with AMD vedio cards.
    I have bought this game in a preorder and I stilll cant play it normally' my computer should play this game on HIGH smooth but becuase they didnt support AMD card so good I cant enjoy playing this game.
    Hope they will make an update in the future that will solve all the bugs they have with AMD vedio cards.
  33. Jun 9, 2013
    Compared to the first Metro, I think it's an improvement, but I was hoping for something better. Last Light has the same post-apocalyptic atmosphere the first game had, but the whole survival aspect of it was dumbed down, mostly because you have a gigantic arsenal of ammunition and military grade bullets all the time, even on ranger mode. Stealth is better for the most part, but is far tooCompared to the first Metro, I think it's an improvement, but I was hoping for something better. Last Light has the same post-apocalyptic atmosphere the first game had, but the whole survival aspect of it was dumbed down, mostly because you have a gigantic arsenal of ammunition and military grade bullets all the time, even on ranger mode. Stealth is better for the most part, but is far too easy due to the horrible AI and their inability to see you when you're standing right in front of them. Expand
  34. Apr 23, 2014
    Totally overrated. This is a great game at its own but it's not a good sequel. The story is way less intriguing this time around, and not much else has been different since Metro 2033. That was a great game. I expected so much more from this much praised sequel. All I saw was minor improvements on the technical aspect and more of the same. Actually, dragging Artyom from station to stationTotally overrated. This is a great game at its own but it's not a good sequel. The story is way less intriguing this time around, and not much else has been different since Metro 2033. That was a great game. I expected so much more from this much praised sequel. All I saw was minor improvements on the technical aspect and more of the same. Actually, dragging Artyom from station to station was nice for the first game. I didn't expect this to have the same structure.

Stealth was punishing in the first game, but it is not fun at all in this one. It's not stealth if you can go to every human literally under their nose and exploit the whole game like that... The weapons have somewhat better feeling... All in all, as a sequel it's a big disappointment. People remember 2033 for its faults and praise LL while it should be the other way around.

Note: I hadn't played the Metro series at all until now, and i played them almost back to back (a few days apart).

This is an above average game at the least. This is a good game. But as a sequel, it relies too much on its former success, and I was frustratingly disappointed since "not improving the sequel" is frowned upon usually.

The PC version is clean as hell, though not the artistic jewel I expected. The outer spaces look great this time, though the character models, animations, VOs etc. could be a lot better. 2033 stands quite close. I was impressed with the 2010 game and expected more from the 2013 game.
  35. May 25, 2013
    Metro Last Light is a great game. Decent story, reach character like Pavel but also it was kind of disappointing in some aspect. I personally did not pre order this game so I was not able to experience the hardcore ranger mode but I was able to play the hardcore ranger mode threw torrent. Anyway playing this game first time threw with hardcore ranger mode really made this game reallyMetro Last Light is a great game. Decent story, reach character like Pavel but also it was kind of disappointing in some aspect. I personally did not pre order this game so I was not able to experience the hardcore ranger mode but I was able to play the hardcore ranger mode threw torrent. Anyway playing this game first time threw with hardcore ranger mode really made this game really enjoyable. Now I know that the developers were going for full immersion by limiting the hid and such, but the human ai and stealth mechanic of this game kind of ruined that immersion for me. Like I shot a bullet with my suppressed revolver at an enemy but it missed and hit the wall right behind him. I expected him to notice the missed shot bit he just went along doing stuff like he did not here the great crack made by the bullet on the wall. Also I did not like how I was totally invisible to the enemy wheni was hiding in the shadow no matter how close I was to them. I was able to sneak pass by every sneaking level with out firing a single bullet or killing them. Another reason why it kind of took me out of immersion was because I was able to not see feet. This maybe a stupid opinion but to me, being able to see my own characters feet is a big deal in immersion. If you ever played Battlefield 3 or Arma series you guys probaably know what I mean. Anyway besides those the games monster battle and general atmosphere were very tense and immersive so for me, this game was 7 out of 10 Expand
  36. Aug 27, 2013
    Pretty awesome game for the gameplay but the story elements will leave you feeling disappointed. If you aren't a story guy but you enjoy a good shooter, then this is definitely a good pickup for you.
  37. May 18, 2013
    This is a very nice experience, with a strong and compelling atmosphere and a somewhat interesting story. Almost everything has been improved from the last game.The graphics are even more gorgeous, the gameplay is significantly better, the level design is much better, the world design is breath-taking the atmosphere is still the same, it only falls short a little in the audio departmentThis is a very nice experience, with a strong and compelling atmosphere and a somewhat interesting story. Almost everything has been improved from the last game.The graphics are even more gorgeous, the gameplay is significantly better, the level design is much better, the world design is breath-taking the atmosphere is still the same, it only falls short a little in the audio department ,where the voice acting slightly of lower quality than in the first game.

If you want a great experience and you don`t mind the problems listed above ,you really should play this.

The biggest problems that this game has are the linearity of the game, the heavy scripting,the bad AI and the continuous hand-holding.
  38. May 22, 2013
    mediocre fps shooter, the atmosphere is great but everything else is pretty bad. There is no reason to play this game after you finished it. You have to pay extra cash to get acces to the hardcore modes. I prefer metro 2033.
  39. May 26, 2013
    A very short play through that was easily achieved in hardcore mode. Had some great moments but also some very annoying "led by the hand" moments. As with the last one the graphics were atmospheric but hadn't really moved on at all. I'm glad I bought it and played it but overall expected more and generally felt let down at the end. But hey, I'm getting used to that at the moment what withA very short play through that was easily achieved in hardcore mode. Had some great moments but also some very annoying "led by the hand" moments. As with the last one the graphics were atmospheric but hadn't really moved on at all. I'm glad I bought it and played it but overall expected more and generally felt let down at the end. But hey, I'm getting used to that at the moment what with Dead Space 3 and Bio shock Infinite, delivering the same deflation. Expand
  40. May 28, 2013
    Great gameplay
    Amazing graphics, atmosphere and sound
    But
    Very Bad story silly story
  41. Aug 13, 2013
    Before you ask; ...Yes! Yes, I've completed the game (On Hardcore Ranger mode). Heh.

To be honest, the game isn't as good as its predecessor... That being said, it's still a great game, but it doesn't quite achieve the same, dark atmosphere, as "Metro: 2033" did. Or perhaps it does, and I'm just being too damn harsh with the details, this time, than I were with its predecessor... Perhaps.

Other than that, the graphics is exactly the same, as the first Metro-game. It was neat then, but if you give it a closer look, it's truly outdated.. (I do realise that graphics does not, alone, make a game good).

Conclusion; Meh... (6/10)
  42. Sep 11, 2013
    Before anything, i must say that im disapointed not only with this game but with critics that seem to know not how to match their score with their review... Thanks to that, i bought this game... good thing I had a good discount...

Plainly... If you are like me and like post apocalyptic games, you should check Fallout for RPG, Stalker series for action with rpg elements and Rage for fps... IF however you want to waste money, buy this brand new, unpolished, empty attempt of a game of this genre.

Im sad because not only i feel cheated by the 8+ score critics gave to this game, i feel cheated for coming from a marvelous fps post apocalyptic game from Bethesda called Rage... Maybe you played and didnt like rage, fine. BUT if you didnt like rage, dont even consider playing this... Thousands of empty strings are given, you pull and at the end... nothing. You will end the game and ask yourself, "wtf? thats it?" no feeling of "damn man what am i gona do now?" or maaaan this game... this game... was EPIC" nope none of that.

Do you know those games with inumerous doors and NPCs in a city but none actually interact with you? ok so if that isnt bad enough, this game makes it worst by making them SEMI interact... let me explain.
    NPCs will be taking care of their affairs, many small situations that you would think "oh this might lead to something!" but it doesnt... i saw 2 maybe 3 sub quests? and none with relevant rewards, animations or anything whatsoever. It feels so unfinished... like they started something that would be massive but settled with just the bones...

This game and its overrated score make me so irritated... I finished the game in 17 hours... 17 hours for a post apocalyptic game? and thats because i stayed afk thousands of times... i bet this game is max 10 hours... What irritates isnt the size of the game, but the fact that you see millions of possible interactions and none of them are real lol.... you follow stuff just to realize it meant nothing at all! I dont want to spoil (if you are willing to waste money that is) but i must say that once you give players a choice they expect an outcome... and no you wont see that here at all...

Metro last light... has no rpg elements in it, literally none... it deceives you by throwing out ilogical things like "oh press X button to clean your mask" or "press Y to replace filter"and thats it.... thats the most interesting and unique you will get from this game... And it will get you expecting more and more and thats the feeling you will have untill the end... a sorry expectation feeling...

Why do i give a 6? i give a 6 for the attempt. i give a 6 for the graphics which are ok. i give a 6 for the variety of weapons even though it doesnt mean much either. The main reason for a 6 is the fact that the combat is smooth, not glitchy or full of bugs or situations you would be stuck in.

Without being a D!@$ i must say this game... if it were around 10-15 dolars i would give it a 8... but... it doesnt. lol

srry for the spelling, hope my frustration was easy to understand and thats it.
  43. Nov 17, 2013
    Very good story and combat is fantastic, but some parts of the game are unnecessarily hard, and ammo unreasonably scarce
    Needs a few improvements, but still quite a good game
  44. Mar 17, 2014
    Metro: Last Light is a satisfying first person shooter; yet it is way too much on rails to be a stellar game. It sort of reminds me of Bioshock Infinite; a great story, so-so game play, and the cutscenes takes over too much in order to progress the story. Still, there is something satisfying in enter a room in the cover of darkness and dispatching the enemy off one by one; a la Batman.Metro: Last Light is a satisfying first person shooter; yet it is way too much on rails to be a stellar game. It sort of reminds me of Bioshock Infinite; a great story, so-so game play, and the cutscenes takes over too much in order to progress the story. Still, there is something satisfying in enter a room in the cover of darkness and dispatching the enemy off one by one; a la Batman. However, that is in the underground where it is safe to breath. The missions above ground forces you to scrounge for extra filters for your gas masks (or you'll die very quickly), and fending off several versions of mutated beasties that come at you continuously. This gameplay is more stressing than fun. Further, the amount of creatures that you deal with can be overwhelming. At one point, while waiting for a ferry, I set the difficulty level to easy because the horde of creatures coming at me had me dying about six times before I said enough was enough. A better menu system in switching your bombs and claymores would have been appreciated. The encounters with these creatures are less than satisfying than compared to the human enemies. Still, Metro gives a better number of different enemies to fight than Bioshock Infinite. Again, a good game that satisfy the shooter urge. Just expect a storyline on rails that takes over a bit too much. Expand
  45. Oct 11, 2013
    I love the setting of Metro games. But I can only say Last Light is a notch above average. Visually it's looks good, the sound quality is well done, and the story is fantastic. But it really breaks down in gameplay. This is more of a game where the devs want you to see how good looking they made this game instead of "Hey, we want you to have a ton of fun!". Going through out this gameI love the setting of Metro games. But I can only say Last Light is a notch above average. Visually it's looks good, the sound quality is well done, and the story is fantastic. But it really breaks down in gameplay. This is more of a game where the devs want you to see how good looking they made this game instead of "Hey, we want you to have a ton of fun!". Going through out this game is both extremely linear and extremely slow paced. While I get that an underground subway system is supposed to be linear, even on the surface the path is incredibly narrow. Much of the story is told, as in the first, from a companion that travels with you through the majority of the game. You follow them through the tunnels of surface areas as they guide you along delivering whatever part of the story they're meant to convey in a precise and deliberate manner. These slow paces are broken up but closed area combat sequences that play out more like a multiplayer match then a single player shooter. You take your slow pace through the tunnels to an area full of enemies, you pretty much have to kill em all to progress (some you can sneak around, but task requires a lot of patience..to much for a game touted as a shooter, tho it it is a necessity at higher difficulty levels), and then it's back to more tunnels. Some of the combat instances are pure arena style, you in a small space forced to fights hordes of enemies and often one big boss. Sadly this slow tunnel travel then fast paced arena gun battle just doesn't work for me. It's deliberate and there';s nothing that offers a balance between the two the entire game. Expand
  46. Jan 14, 2015
    The graphics in this game could not have been better, highly detailed levels, great textures and animation for character movement, fire, smoke and water. The English voice acting was suburb with genuine Russian accents adding to character believability. The music was good and appropriate to the game. Well done developers!

The story line was good but not great. Without giving away

The story line was good but not great. Without giving away spoilers, the whole premise for the post-apoplectic scenario just wasn't totally convincing, nor were the paranormal elements in scenes with Khan and Artyom while chasing after the little Dark One. (The player is Artyom BTW.) The animosity between the various factions seemed contrived. Well the game needed enemies after all. The relationship between Anna and Artyom should have been expanded. Less Khan and more Anna would have helped me suffer through the "Boss" encounters.

The game is very linear with very little variability allowed in playing each level. Since the player is really the main character in a theatrical story, and since the story is rigid, it makes for very boring replays of the game. The only reason I chose to replay was to try for a harder game setting or to try for the alternate ending. The alternate ending was a big let down.

This is a difficult game to play. I'm just a casual player so the gameplay with some "boss" encounters was difficult at best, even on the easiest settings. I can't imagine anyone getting through on the most difficult ranger settings, I didn't get far before frustration set in.

Metro: Last Light suffers from the following issues:
    1. No save capability.
    2. No option to skip or truncate cut scenes.
    3. Unfulfilling ending. (Either ending.)
    4. Replay boredom as the player just follows a linear path dictated by the storyline.
    5. Endless introduction screens and animations without any way to speed it up.

Otherwise, the game is well worth playing but not at full price.
  47. Dec 18, 2014
    Not quite as authentic feeling as the original game, but still decent.
    Graphics are great, but no better than the first game. Even with the tunnel setting, it is more linear and scripted than I would have liked. Some of the voice acting is mediocre, and there were a lot of recycled voices.
    Not quite as authentic feeling as the original game, but still decent.
    This is not a bad port, but there is still significant consolitis: the usual annoying checkpoint save system, too low FOV, mouse acceleration, unskippable intro video, etc... (some of these can be fixed in a config text file). There is an increased emphasis on action and repetitive stealth, possibly at the expense of survival and exploration elements. The AI is dumbed down with unrealistically poor sight in the dark, laughably poor hearing, and weak search behaviour. This was probably done to make a stealth approach easy enough for the average console gamer. You observe the AI's repeating patrol patterns, sneak past when an opening appears, then, when the path seems blocked, a scripted event or interactive item lets you sneak past again. repeat. repeat. repeat, and so on... While FarCry3 stealth was also unrealistic and repetitive, it was at least much more fluid and dynamic. The DLC is of a lower quality, with more bugs and poorly balanced difficulty.
    Despite its flaws and the undeserved hype, this is still a decent game I can recommend quite easily.
  48. Jun 23, 2013
    This is not a bad game, but i do not think this is more than mediocre game. This game got several issues like dump AI, some pretty bad bugs and i did not liked the story.+ DLC difficulty mode is not acceptable. Metro 2033 was a bit better game in mine opinion.
  49. Aug 17, 2013
    Compared to the first game and other games in a similar genre I find that this falls a little flat while still being an enjoyable game to play.

Action is the same as previous, graphics are great as well as the atmosphere. However it doesn't really bring any thing new and it feels a lot more linear and scripted than the first game. You also lose control a lot with scripted cut scenes

You also lose control a lot with scripted cut scenes which do take a lot of game time.
    The game has also been made a lot easier with a part near the end actually lighting up each part of an object you need to shoot.

Worth a go but definitely not quite as good as the original. Look for it on special.
  50. Jun 14, 2013
    This game would be a lot better if the developers polished all those minor details because there are so many of them it starts to ruin the game after the 4th chapter. I'll start with the bigger ones:
    -voice acting is awful
    -character animation is clunky, unresponsive (in terms eyes following you when you move), and repetitive (animation loops are far too noticeable to miss here) -AI
    -voice acting is awful
    -AI during active battle can be stupid
    -sneaking through levels is made too easy when you can almost kiss a guard in dim lit areas and he will not notice you
    -a guard will not notice his dead comrade on the floor in dim lit areas (okay, I understand that its harder to see you in low light areas but the developers act like its pitch black)
    -linear storyline, resembles a CoD shoot-em-up/Dishonored sneak attack campaign with very little choice of where to go next. And when I say 'very little' I mean you have the occasional nooks and crannies to look around for extra ammo.
    small things that I noticed that stood out like a sore thumb which could have been easily polished:

-Pavlov didn't hold his cup while I was having a drink with him, instead it floated a foot away from his hand
    -the pianist continued to play the piano when there was no piano music playing during one of the acts
    -a dreadful pause of silence where a commander was supposed to cut-off his comrade in mid sentence
    -killed a guy who was using a blowtorch and blowtorch sparks are still running

these are just a few examples and there are a lot more and when they build up like that it starts to take effect on the quality of the game.

on the good side its got an interesting story, but we can thank the writer of the book for that, and good art style as well as graphics.
  51. Jul 14, 2013
    I liked the original this is some innovation but the silent main character except in loading screens some things that just didn't make sense and £6.99 for the proper experience NO
  52. Jun 7, 2013
    The gameplay, scenery, and story of this game was absolutely fantastic and I had a really fun time playing. The only thing that I found wrong about this game was the storyline being a bit too hard to follow. I found myself at at least 5 different parts saying "What is even going on." Also, the game was a bit too short in my opinion. I beat it in less than 8 hours and I didn't rush throughThe gameplay, scenery, and story of this game was absolutely fantastic and I had a really fun time playing. The only thing that I found wrong about this game was the storyline being a bit too hard to follow. I found myself at at least 5 different parts saying "What is even going on." Also, the game was a bit too short in my opinion. I beat it in less than 8 hours and I didn't rush through it or anything. I played it normally. I expected something a bit more from Metro: Last Light, but what it lacks in gameplay time and storyline telling, it makes up for in the gameplay, scenery, and story itself. Expand
  53. Jun 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The positive things in this game are the environment, the weapons and the survival philosophy, but I think the story is very worn: Nazis vs Communists (implicit American faction too), sprinkled with some kind of UFO or GAIA boring elements. An American implicit faction is behind the victorious faction (Spartans or Rangers), the faction of the protagonist. Instead of take advantage of the great elements: the stealth, the mystery, the fear, the survival taste, all we have here is the same old story in a new, peculiar and very controlled environment (some free exploration in a large map would be more interesting and surprising!). Before its releasing, I imagined this game in a whole different way, but we have a game with a lot of repetitive elements, and not realistic (or childish) way of accomplish the missions; e.g., the soviet tank mission is not very different of shooting pellets in a carnival shooting range. This is supposedly a "Mature" rated game! Expand
  54. Jun 18, 2013
    Let me start by saying I just LOVE Fallout, that's how I got here, really: "Hey, that game kinda looks like Fallout, let's try". Now I know they are completely different.
    Metro has some good stuff allright: Killer graphics, great story, awesome controls. But I think they rely TOO MUCH on the graphics for the user to enjoy the experience, and they don't pay any attention to some other stuff like voice acting, level design (It's just one room to another really, no exploration or sidequest stuff) or those little things that make the big difference in the end. For example: The Bolshoi. It's just so damn stupid and lame you just leave the theater thinking: These guys spent like 5 minutes designing this and screw it. I hate that. I use that example because overall the game feels the same: That it could be a LOT better, but that the guys programming it just said "Hey, screw it, this is good enough, no one will pay attention to these things". Well I did.
    Linear levels and no attention to details totally spoiled the fun for me, I'd be tougher with the voice acting but hey, I like Fallout, remember?. As for the story, I'd rather read the books than to keep playing the game.

Uninstalling.
  55. Apr 18, 2014
    Metro: Last Light is one of the most gorgeous, realistic, and overall enjoyable games I've ever played but it's needless to say that many things could have been greatly improved. Let's start with the voice acting. The accent of the Russians is so stereotypical. Though people say that you shouldn't play in Russian if you aren't, I would with your language's subtitles enabled. However, IMetro: Last Light is one of the most gorgeous, realistic, and overall enjoyable games I've ever played but it's needless to say that many things could have been greatly improved. Let's start with the voice acting. The accent of the Russians is so stereotypical. Though people say that you shouldn't play in Russian if you aren't, I would with your language's subtitles enabled. However, I do enjoy how you can hang around NPCs and listen to their conversations. Nice touch. The combat is silky smooth and seamless, and I rarely had problems shooting up mutants and Reich. I love how they let you shoot your way through or go stealth, and both are usually valid options. The story isn't half bad, but the beginning hours are INCREDIBLY LINEAR. You follow someone or are holding hands with the game for those starting hours. However, even with these flaws, M:LL is a masterpiece, with great gunplay, gorgeous visuals, incredible environments, and realism that is unmatched in the genre. Expand
  56. Jun 30, 2013
    If you are a fan of post apocalyptic game then this is the game for you.

You need to take your time and immerse yourself into the game. Take your time to explore secondary paths, stop and listen to NPC's as they chatter about life in the Metro. It's truly a wonderful experience. Now, with all this said, there are a few negative things about this game. The lack of character
    If you are a fan of post apocalyptic game then this is the game for you.

Now, with all this said, there are a few negative things about this game. The lack of character development is saddening. I never felt attached too any of the characters and there really weren't many chances in the game. (Besides starting to bang Anna. :P)

The ending is also something I wasn't too happy about. There are two different endings, a good one, and a bad one. The good one is nearly impossible to get. You can't miss a single thing to achieve the good ending. Some of the good things to do are very easy to miss as well. The ending doesn't really explain a whole lot and left me with too man questions.

Now, I know leaving the gamer with questions can be a good thing but there were a too many. I do recommend you get this game if you enjoy FPS's with a bit of Survival Horror then this is the game for you.
  57. Aug 1, 2013
    I was a bit disapointed when I first started the game. The ranger DLC for 5$ when they said this is the way the game should played. It`s kind of aweful that you always have a follower who talks to you for the most parts. The boss fights, not bad but also not very good. Is it just me ore do the guards in the sneak parts need glasses But it is still better than CoD and all clones of Cod.
  58. Dec 12, 2015
    Gameplay : 7
    Graphics : 8
    Story : 7
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 7
  59. Feb 8, 2014
    Я не любитель постапокалиптических вселенных, но вторую часть Метро прошел с нейтральным интересом. Отчасти пришлись по вкусу стелс-элементы, дескать, возможность тактично пройти определенный момент игры. Куда больше же понравилась чисто русская атмосфера подземок, а вместе с ней и узнаваемые московские пейзажи. В остальном игра типична для шутера среднего уровня. Всё это мы уже видели.Я не любитель постапокалиптических вселенных, но вторую часть Метро прошел с нейтральным интересом. Отчасти пришлись по вкусу стелс-элементы, дескать, возможность тактично пройти определенный момент игры. Куда больше же понравилась чисто русская атмосфера подземок, а вместе с ней и узнаваемые московские пейзажи. В остальном игра типична для шутера среднего уровня. Всё это мы уже видели.
  60. Mar 13, 2014
    This a better game than it's predecessor, specially in it's gameplay. The combats are much more realistic now, if you shoot to the head your enemies are definitely going to die, and the monsters are much easier to kill, which doesn't mean that the game has become easier. Now, we have a more vary selection of weapons, which can be upgrade with different types of scopes, silencers, extendedThis a better game than it's predecessor, specially in it's gameplay. The combats are much more realistic now, if you shoot to the head your enemies are definitely going to die, and the monsters are much easier to kill, which doesn't mean that the game has become easier. Now, we have a more vary selection of weapons, which can be upgrade with different types of scopes, silencers, extended barrels, lasers sights, etc. The grapich system has improved a lot, it's better optimized and you can personalize the grapichs options, but the grapichs quality remains the same. The game has lost something very important, it's essence. Metro is known for being a survival-horror/ psychological terror game with few Call of Duty moments. Now, Last Light, is more focused in the action moments than in making the player feel scare and tense. The storyline is worst than Metro 2033. We spent most of the time killing Nazis or Communists. And again the game is very lineal, we can't explore all the beautiful scenerios that the game offers. It could have been a great game but the designers forgot that this game is a survival-horror, not a Call of Duty game Expand
  61. Mar 2, 2015
    Didn't like this installment very much ,,, not fan of the story since the previous game , and this game didn't make it any better ,,, same shallow characters and voice acting , Same FPS game play , Same Graphics "now they look very outdated" ,,, the positive thing is the environment , i felt it's more of a benchmark game , and in few months you'll forget about it
  62. Apr 25, 2015
    Interesting and Enticing FPS combined with Horror and stealth, however most aspects of the game fail to deliver. Linear story line combined with little freedom on Maps really wash away the Detail and aura the game gives off. Unfortunate. Also, you are instructed what to do, and how to do it through out the entire game. I would like to explore for myself more. Absolutely Pathetic AI, evenInteresting and Enticing FPS combined with Horror and stealth, however most aspects of the game fail to deliver. Linear story line combined with little freedom on Maps really wash away the Detail and aura the game gives off. Unfortunate. Also, you are instructed what to do, and how to do it through out the entire game. I would like to explore for myself more. Absolutely Pathetic AI, even on hardcore Mode. You can literally walk in front of them and not get noticed. Improvement over Metro 2033 however. Expand
  63. Mar 11, 2016
    what an overrated game

-incredibly scripted to the point of being claustrophobic
    -graphics are OK, nothing spectacular
    -as linear as it gets
    -minimal environment interaction

played it once and forgot about it...boring...stort sucks too...wouldn't even waste my time ever replaying
  64. May 15, 2013
    Talk about hand holding.... Artyom, pull the lever, Artyom shine your flash light, Artyom climb up the ladder, Arytom follow me. The game so "railroad track linear" anyway, you couldn't go anywhere else if you wanted to. Take notice of all the high user reviews. 90% of them have no review history. They just popped on the grid like Metro was the first game they ever played. CanTalk about hand holding.... Artyom, pull the lever, Artyom shine your flash light, Artyom climb up the ladder, Arytom follow me. The game so "railroad track linear" anyway, you couldn't go anywhere else if you wanted to. Take notice of all the high user reviews. 90% of them have no review history. They just popped on the grid like Metro was the first game they ever played. Can someone say "suspicious"? The graphics feel like the first Metro. They were cool then, but when you take a close look at the detail, it's so dated. The hallways have that computer precision geometry. The sound needs so much work.
    The atmospheric plays in the background, but the rusty elevator I'm riding is completely silent. Details details. Is it a game changer? Maybe maybe not, but as the little things start to accumulate, you realize how much you appreciate a game that has polish. Like the voice acting. It is bad bad. It sounds like the actors are reading directly from the script into the microphone. It's almost painful to listen to. Like when the lower ranking officer gets his dialog cut off by the higher ranking officer. You know, like when you're cut off mid-sentence? Except the low ranking guy just reads his script to the cut off point and there's a pause BEFORE he get's cut off? Little things. I like an immersive experience and what caught my eye about this game was all the reviews that say what a great feel this game has. It might, but the devil is in the details, and this game misses in some very pronounced ways. At least do yourself the smallest favor. Don't spend that fifty bucks because you may feel like I do. Paying top dollar is for games that live up to the score, and the scores on this game have been dubiously amped. It's not quite a money grab, but it sure leans that way.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Metro Last Light improves on several of the originals shortcomings but also has a few of its own. Mainly the artificial intelligence needs lots of work otherwise Metro Last Light with its hybrid of quality action and engaging storytelling would maybe have been one of the best games of the year.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 9, 2013
    I do not recommend this to arachnophobiacs and story-lovers. Nonetheless, the game's atmosphere is so thick you are going to be just blown away. Furthermore, the game has outstanding battles. [Issue#231]
  3. PC PowerPlay