7.8

1. Apr 14, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. It reminded me of puzzle quest in that it's adding RPG elements to a puzzle game, but this game makes a much more interesting fusion of the two concepts. The combat/puzzle system is quite unique and you have a lot of neat choices to make in terms of your unit compositions and such. During the campaign, right when you start to get bored of one type or army, youI really enjoyed this game. It reminded me of puzzle quest in that it's adding RPG elements to a puzzle game, but this game makes a much more interesting fusion of the two concepts. The combat/puzzle system is quite unique and you have a lot of neat choices to make in terms of your unit compositions and such. During the campaign, right when you start to get bored of one type or army, you get to try something new, so that's fun and they have a few interesting puzzles outside of standard combat, too.

The story is pretty standard fare but the art style is nice and there's some nice humor. All in all, a pretty good value. I dunno that I'd pay $15 for it but it was on sale on steam for $7.50 and that's a great price.
  2. Olf
    Jan 1, 2012
    LOL take a lesson from "BIOWARE" Merrill4life? You mean "EA_ware?" If you liked dragon age 2 and thought that was tactical at all its obvious that your opinion is skewed from the rest of most gamers. Go back to neverwinter nights or baldars gate or the real dragon age DAO if you wish to play a game that took any thought at all.. Their is little to zero in regards to tactics in DA2. ThisLOL take a lesson from "BIOWARE" Merrill4life? You mean "EA_ware?" If you liked dragon age 2 and thought that was tactical at all its obvious that your opinion is skewed from the rest of most gamers. Go back to neverwinter nights or baldars gate or the real dragon age DAO if you wish to play a game that took any thought at all.. Their is little to zero in regards to tactics in DA2. This game however M&MCOH does not take itself too seriously and is a fun little game with does not have the smell of untreated sewage that DA2 did. Its a good time sink for a few minutes at a time where you never really feel like you have to get to that next step. Just stay where you are enjoy it and come back another day. Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    A masterpiece. Enough said. What a great twist to the might and magic saga. Absolutely fun as hell and addictive. I got hooked on the first 10 minutes. The art style is great, the story, while nothing groundbreaking, still interesting. The combat is great, easy at first, gets challenging later on. The mp is great too. 1v1 or 2v2. It has its share of bugs, but nothing gameA masterpiece. Enough said. What a great twist to the might and magic saga. Absolutely fun as hell and addictive. I got hooked on the first 10 minutes. The art style is great, the story, while nothing groundbreaking, still interesting. The combat is great, easy at first, gets challenging later on. The mp is great too. 1v1 or 2v2. It has its share of bugs, but nothing game breaking at all. A masterpiece that will be underrated and passed on because gamers these days prefer the crap of COD and BF3, instead of fun stuff like this. Expand
  4. May 6, 2012
    Clash of Heroes is a puzzle RPG, where you attack by matching units vertically and defend by matching horizontally. Other things like artifacts and hero-specific spells make the battles more interesting. The puzzle combat is a lot of fun, and the RPG elements add quite a bit to it.

The story wasn't bad... much better than what I expected a puzzle RPG to have. The graphics are colorful, distinct, and done well. The sound was pleasant, though not memorable.

The only real problem I have with it is that a lot of units have unique abilities, and it never tells you what abilities your opponents are using until you get them for yourself. It really sucks when you die because you didn't realize that all Nightmares fire at the same time.

Puzzle game fans should absolutely get Clash of Heroes. It's definitely worth it, even at full price.
  5. Sep 4, 2012
    Clash of Heroes is a fun, addicting puzzle RPG similar to titles like Puzzle Quest. The combat is easy to learn but difficult to master. The story is rather basic and predictable but the gameplay is so fun that it really doesn't matter. After the main story (which is going to take 20-30 hours) there's still multiplayer, which adds an extra layer of challenge to strategies.
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    This puzzle game is great- while you may think that you're winning just because you're killing lots of units, you realize you actually need to be effective and creative in poking holes in your opponents' defenses. You can win this game through sheer attrition, but if you take the time to think through the puzzles, you'll be rewarded with an army that will ROFL-stomp anyone in their path.This puzzle game is great- while you may think that you're winning just because you're killing lots of units, you realize you actually need to be effective and creative in poking holes in your opponents' defenses. You can win this game through sheer attrition, but if you take the time to think through the puzzles, you'll be rewarded with an army that will ROFL-stomp anyone in their path. The downside is that the RPG aspect of this game is fairly weak- leveling up your monsters sounds great, but it's not implemented well. Other than that, the innovative gameplay makes for a fun time. Expand
  7. Mar 17, 2014
    Doesn't really deserve a 10 but a 9.5, but 10 will do because this game gave me too much fun to not give it the best note.

Clash of Heroes is a puzzle game whose complexity and strategy potential is just immense. 5 races, 8 units in each race, each unit with their own charge time, strength, defense, type of attack, type of defense, special effect such as poison, stealing mana,

5 races, 8 units in each race, each unit with their own charge time, strength, defense, type of attack, type of defense, special effect such as poison, stealing mana, stealing health, one-hit-killing the foe, stealing enemy's charge, destroying walls, attacking stronger depending on your hero's mana, jumping over walls, creating defensive magical walls, strengthening your Charge power(which is attack power) by eating idle enemies, having +50% defense, healing your hero while it charges, being +100% stronger when you attack your last enemy, etc etc: this game's diversity is nothing short of awesome.

The incredibly numerous and varied strategies you can create with basic units(3 per race), Hero Units(2 or 3 per race) and Champion units(2 or 3 per race) is just amazing.

Add to that that the game has an incredible amount of Hero powers such as using your walls as massive fireball attacks, throwing extra strong arrows to the enemy, launching random lightning strikes, strengthening your attack, your defense, your charge time, getting your units to their last charging turn...

Add to THAT the numerous artifacts and options they give such as an extra move per turn, added offensive for weakened HP, faster attacks, more HP, more strength or defense or base charge...

The potential for strategy and tactics in this game is truly, truly awesome. As games go this is the most playable game I've played in years. It looks simple but reveals an immense complexity that never stops being fun.

I could say even more good things about the incredibly good gameplay but I have to leave some room for the bad things.

First off unlike some, I like the anime art style in this. It doesn't dissapoint for most Good characters and units. When it comes to Evil ones though, it's pretty disastrous. Undead look like plushies and Demons look like they were drawn by a 5 year old. Nothing ugly about them, but that's the issue: they should be ugly. And they're not even a little bit. I guess that is a target market to make this game for young kids, but I wonder how many young kids will enjoy a puzzle game like this.
    No big issues with the art style apart from the villains and evil creatures.

Music-wise, there's just one thing to say, this is absolute cr*p. There are 3 songs out of the entire game I can bear after finishing the game once, that's one of the eight battle themes, the final boss theme and the victory theme(which lasts like 10 seconds). The rest is very poor ambients, no music of any kind, the forests of Irollan don't sound very different to the fires of Sheogh, no place has any musical identity, seven out of eight battle themes are ripped off from the M&M franchise and have nothing good about them. It's clearly the worst part of the game.

The story is pretty lame too, though. Nothing inherently wrong with its writing but nothing good either. I didn't care about any of the characters and the ending didn't make me change my mind. It's a story you read once to know the whys and hows, and then never care again. There is one line I like out of all the game, it's the demon that gets killed during Mt Neberzyias' eruption. The rest is just there so that the game has a story.

Admitedly, I used to speedrun this game, and the fact that the story's worth is near null has been a great argument to play this while skipping the story.

Lastly, the game plays with a seemingly basic method of stacking units of the same colour: stack 3 units vertically to make an attack, 3 horizontally to make a wall layer. To charge up a Hero unit(2 tiles) or Champion(4 tiles), you add base units of their colour behind them, 2 for Heroes and 4 for Champions.
    This seemingly simplistic system reveals its incredible efficiency when you add links and fusions. The battlefield is 6x8 tiles, with 6 vertical. To fuse two groups or hero/champion units, you need to take exactly 6 vertical tiles. Which means that you can only fuse if you have no defenses. These kind of "minor" details show how well-thought this game is. Your immense potential for destructive power depends almost entirely on your choices for attack, defense, setting walls, destroying the right units to create attacks or walls at the right moment, preparing and launching attacks simultaneously to create links that add attack power to all units in the link(see a Pit Fiend go from 110 attack alone to 170 thanks to being in a link of 4 simultaneous attacks!), fusing, using your Hero's power at the right time...

This masterpiece's strategic/puzzle value is tremendous. So it's a 10, despite its numerous flaws. I noticed a lot of people complained about the luck factor, but trust me: the more you play, the more it becomes tactical, as luck slowly loses its grip on you when you truly master the game.
  8. Jan 3, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. It' not a regular rpg; it's a strategy/rpg hybrid like King's Bounty or Puzzle Quest. If you like those two games you will probably like this. The story is cute and cliche, but really just a reason for the cool strategy game. It also runs nicely (and looks beautiful) on my netbook (Atom 1.6ghz & Nvidia Ion), though I'd try the demo first on any laptop chipset.I really enjoyed this game. It' not a regular rpg; it's a strategy/rpg hybrid like King's Bounty or Puzzle Quest. If you like those two games you will probably like this. The story is cute and cliche, but really just a reason for the cool strategy game. It also runs nicely (and looks beautiful) on my netbook (Atom 1.6ghz & Nvidia Ion), though I'd try the demo first on any laptop chipset. The graphics are simple but good, kind of like an HD anime version of what old top-down SNES RPGs looked like. You can play kb/mouse or with a 360 controller; both work equally well, and you can switch on the fly. I got about 40 hours out of it single-player, and it has online multiplayer and hotseat local multiplayer. Well worth the $15. Collapse

1. Dec 1, 2011
    In the end, Clash of Heroes spends too much time trying to distract you from the one thing that makes it brilliant. [Jan 2012, p.80]
    Catchy and enjoyable handheld conversion of popular Might & Magic series brings a smart combat system with lots of units and perfect multiplayer. [Nov 2011]
  3. Nov 7, 2011
    Capybara Games have created a fighting system that delivers decent amounts of fun. Defeating numbers of enemies and solving some battle puzzles is extremely satisfying and all of that is magnified by beautiful, hand-drawn graphics.