• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Oct 13, 2011
6.1

1. Oct 31, 2011
    While This game has a lot of potential, particularly for long standing fans of the series, it is absolutely ruined by the staggering number of bugs. From graphical errors to non-working unit abilities to random game crashes, the live release actually seems to somehow contain MORE bugs than the beta did. An absolute shame and horrible decision bu Ubisoft/Black Hole Entertainment to allow this game to go live in the current state. Expand
  2. Oct 16, 2011
    Playing through the game it doesn't come close to Heroes of Might and Magic in the beginning days. Just 4 resources to manage and then Gold counts as a resource as well. I can't understand how people would give this game that compares a lot to Heroes V such a high score. Thinking hard of reinstalling Heroes 3 again. Another big disappointment is the battle screen. Made out of squares instead of hexes. That would have been the first thing to change from heroes five to six but they chose to just 'copy paste' the battle field routine instead. The heroes skills I find very uninteresting, and no town screen made the game even go into a deeper negative score. I had much more fun with Disciples 3 then this clone of Heroes V. Expand
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    Yet another disappointment,. Heroes V was budget gaming at its worse and this one does nothing to change things in positive direction. There are virtually no brave new design ideas, just usual copy/paste from H3 sweetened by some fancy graphics and dull RPG-like hero leveling system. Strategy is completely absent. Battles are repetitive and simple. Once more, Hero does not has its own turn to play (one of H V very few good improvements). No choices between creatures, nothing new in adventure set of heroes abilities, lots of simplifications overall, pure might is useless as usual and so on. Budget game trying to sell itself to old and still remaining fans of the series. Expand
  4. Oct 13, 2011
    This game is a disaster. A lof of technical issues (blinking cursor, no AA, no SLI support, very bad framerate considering how ugly it is, etc), very confusing menus (I have to create a new hero to play that team, etc), strange design decisions (NO TOWNSCREENS, free to pick skills from a huge selection but not skilltrees (so many that my GF actually asked me to just do it for her, and she is a Heroes veteran), global recruiting, only 4 resources, etc) and VERY imbalanced (a skill that gives 25% more XP vs a skill that gives your troops 2% more HP, etc). This is from someone who LOVED all other Heroes games. They also promised to fix many of these things from the beta but it still unplayable. AVOID AT ALL COST! Expand
  5. Oct 13, 2011
    Lots of technical issues (couldnt' run it at a decent framerate, on lowest settings on a intel quadcore and gt 440). The game itself has dumb AI and fails to innovate or bring anything new to the table at all. The UI is also very confusing, and there is no skilltree for spells. I suggest you pass on this game.
  6. Oct 14, 2011
    If you can make it to work, game is full of bugs, only good thing is environments but again to a lot of people it has texture flickering bugs. Story is Spanish soap-opera. It has one faction less than HOMM V, plus a lot of things that made HOMM successful are excluded. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone its a shame to publish something like this after HOMM V - Tribes of the East. And town screens... wait what town screens? Expand
  7. Oct 27, 2011
    Where to start?

With the sixth installment of this long running series, Ubi seems to have gone out of their way to utterly frustrate and alienate the people whom have kept this franchise alive for so long. Instead of developing a robust AI, they just have it cheat. Not just cheat, but cheat on a grand scale. Even on easy you get out-classed by the AI so fast it leaves only one strategy as
    a viable option. One viable strategy does not a strategy game make. Secondly, they tied a lot of the games better features to being able to connect to ubi online. Then they failed to have sufficient redundancy in their servers. Three times now in the first week of the games availability I have been unable to connect to Ubi's servers. The first time I did not know this hobbled the game and had to re-do the first two necro missions as as result. Also we seem to be heading backwards. The 3D rotatable camera is gone, the town screens are static and unimaginative, and having to waste skills gained by leveling up on spells is just plain wrong! We are down to one rare resource from four and then they have weeks with bonuses to resources that aren't there. As to this being more like HOMM III, if I want to play HOMM III I will play HOMM III. I do not want to shell out $50+ for a game I already have. New versions should be improvements on the last, not rehashes of whats been done already. And very poor re-hashes at that.

There is at least one area where Ubi has been consistent, and that is the utter lack of proper documentation. Given the fact the games release was delayed so MANY times the fact that the game is still this unfinished is inexcusable. If I thought for a second I could get my money back for this steaming pile of S**T I would. As i won't be able to the only thing I can do is not buy any Ubisoft games anymore. They have utterly ruined this fine series and the only thing we can hope for at this point is that this game falls so flat on its face that they sell it to another developer who will hopefully put it back on track!
  8. Nov 12, 2011
    Not worth buying. I don't know why but this game bore me so much. Removed town screen was a bad move in my opinion. I think they really need to make patch fast. Sometimes if my internet conection go down the game is ends and that piss me off too
  9. Oct 13, 2011
    I have played and followed Heroes since number 2, unfortunately all games after number 3 is a downhill. This installation is not an exception, the major flaws is the lack of town building graphics and the lack of placement of troops in the tactical/battle situation. And I dont like the eastern european names they use on the heroes, like Svalka, Svetalna and so on. I think the story about Heroes shows the dark side of the gaming industry, get a label and milk it by using mediocre studios to develop it. Expand
  10. Oct 15, 2011
    Two feedbacks
    - game remains true to its HOMM core, which is a plus
    - having to install Uplay and have, again to cope with UbiSoft features outside of the game is a real pain in the a*s...

As a result: don't buy and enjoy the previous versions until ubi drops this stupid strategy...
  11. Oct 16, 2011
    I was hoping heroes 6 would at least slightly approach heroes 3, but sadly it does not. While the graphics and sound is nice, the gameplay is shallow. A large part of your is spent with tactical combat, which sadly has allows almost no tactics. You can time your first attack, and choose which enemy stack to focus on, but that's mostly it. You can't even control your initial setup in any meaningful way - units will start out in a sorta- line no matter what. Last one in the series for me! Expand
  12. Oct 16, 2011
    It's just dreadful. 1. It's full of bugs and graphical glitches. 2. The company isn't responding to serious bugs raised by their customers 3. u-play stops you playing: trying to synchronise all the time; lagging the game; spamming you with pointless intrusive junk and marketing when you want to play. Give this one a miss.
  13. Oct 16, 2011
    Always online DRM is buggy, disconnects when you are clearly connected to the internet. Game also rolled back single player saved game. DRM servers go down for maintenance regularly rendering the game unplayable. Avoid.
  14. Oct 21, 2011
    As a fan of the series from the very first game, I was excited to see that the latest incarnation was available and upon installing the game I was impressed by the quality of the graphics which was a massive improvement on the last game. However, less than 10minutes into the game I crashed for the first time, but instead of crashing to desktop the screen went blank, music carried on playing and only thing I could do was to switch pc off/on. Now as a veteran of a game called Runes of Magic which is a massive crash fest I've developed a tolerance for crashing so undeterred I tried again. Same thing happened 2 more times before I thought I'd update my drivers just in case, which has resulted me crashing to desktop instead of locking up my pc around 75% of the time and still blank screening the rest of the time. This morning was the last straw, CTD once and blank screening once within 15minutes - due to the amount of crashes I cannot even play long enough to complete the 2nd tutorial campaign so I cannot provide any information on how the game plays further into the game. I will admit minus the crashes I like what I see so far, however I am absolutely disgusted that in this day and age a PC game has been released in such a state. It shows a lack of quality control, or maybe the developers/publisher simply do not care and think they can just fix it later. I have managed to play all the latest games on highest resolution without any problem, I liaised with Ubisoft's support team and followed their instructions to the letter and still can't play a brand new game that I spent good money on. Maybe when the game is finally 'finished' and no longer in beta I will be able to give a better score, but until then my recommendation is to stay well clear of this buggy game, DO NOT waste your money on this as it is not ready to play. Expand
  15. Nov 16, 2011
    I am extremely disappointed. Played every version and liked each better than the previous. 1) 4 pages of tech issues 2) 100s and 100s of Bug posts
    3) No communication from the Publisher who has also disallowed the Devs to communicate on the forums and go through one proxy
    4) Imbalanced game play (certain race/class builds clearly OP to others)
    5) Lacking imaginative spell trees
    (elemental, light, dark) as well as with the Might side (although I did not play Might)
    6) DRM Issues when playing the game and then losing connections and saves
    7) Very bad AI

and I could go on.

The only reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 1 is because this game CAN be a winner over time. Think of it as a scotch that needs to sit for 12 years. This game has the potential but needs a lot of work. Luckily with Skyrim, Batman, and SWToR out and soon to be out, I can wait out the game and not ruin my first time through experience. I like to play on hard, which is enhances my game play, was ruined by the imbalanced, repetitive builds, neutral battles and the AI is atrocious. The only folks that like this game is a small group of folks that probably have time invested in Beta and like doing the same thing over and over again.

I do hope that this game gets fixed. I believe they released an early beta version because the beta version right before release had less bugs. Its been over a month since release and not one word from Publisher speaks volumes. Are they working on the game? I dunno... i think they got their money and cut bait with a skeleton crew to fix a few bugs and string us a long. This is how I few a long with many other folks on the forums which is loaded with hate and discontent with a smattering of catering reviews. I just can see how someone can look a friend in the face and tell them to plop down $60 for a beta copy of this game. I would tell anyone listening that this game has potential... give it a few months when it will only cost $20 if not less, and read the forums. If they havent fixed the tech issues or loads of bugs, dont buy it unless your a long time fan of the series.

Very very disappointing that this prestigious title has been ravaged by shoddy work. The title, and more importantly the customers, deserve better treatment. If you dont think you can do the job, dont take it on. I find one aspect very telling... only one month after release, the first page of the forum is already showing signs of not turning over. Bad sign. I honestly cant wait to play the game when it is patched and maybe after an expansion.
  16. Nov 22, 2011
    This game sucks big times! Intentions were good but uunfortunately the result is a disaster! They removed useful features from HOMMV and replaced them with a bugged disaster. The graphics are very nice but I rather have a game that is playable but ugly than the opposite!
    My advise: Stay away!! BUT IF YOU must have the game, wait for the patches (and wait for at least 5, so you are sure
    that all the bugs are are gone - there are plenty of them!)
    There is no way this game has been pre-lease tested !
  17. Oct 21, 2011
    I really want to like this game...but the combat is so tedious. There's virtually no strategy. The fact that there's an auto-battle option says it all: the developers understand combat is rote and dull. Add to that the same world map exploration that's been used for years and years and you get a boring game. There's nothing new here. Granted, the graphics are ok, but Disciples III bests it graphically. This isn't a horrid game...just not a good one at all. I cannot recommend it. Sigh... Expand
  18. Feb 20, 2012
    I would have though it a challenge to make a bad heroes game. I have enjoyed all the series, until now.
    Somehow they have made the game so linear that it is no longer enjoyable for me. They may as well have made it a rolling demo. The graphics etc are ok but it is the gameplay itself that seems to have been sorely overlooked. Absolutely terrible.
  19. Nov 7, 2011
    This game has a great opening, and the characters and story is both good (especially the undead one). However, the gameplay is linear and repetitive, and quickly you realize that you are forced to do the same things over and over and over again for hours. Even hard difficulty provides little challenge once you see true the retarded AI intellect, then you overtake armies twice your size without much difficulty. In our day and age we expect more flexibility and freedom from a strategy game, and when you find yourself steamrolling on easy difficulty just for story, then you realize the only thing keeping you is the role playing factor of the game, and even that has it limits when it can go hours between each story driven encounter. Expand
  20. Dec 17, 2011
    The only improvement I can see is graphic. For the game play it's only fun for a few first hours, after that the repetition of the battle will bore you.
  21. Nov 2, 2011
    Never gonna buy another MM game for under 10 dollars. Felt the game the wayyyyyyy stripped down compared to 5. Had to log into the archaic Uplay system in order to play, if uplay was down I couldn't access any of the extra material. Big fan of the series and I really do not like this game. The balance of the game is also horrible and the difficulty curve doesn't make any sense. Also buggy.... The worst thing they did was get rid of the dark elf class and had that retarded lotus group used instead. There aren't half the playable classes there would usually be. Ubisoft really really really disappointed me here.

This game is lammmmme.
  22. Apr 2, 2012
    About good reviewers: I've just checked all that 4 positive reviews made in 2012, and guess what is the same in all of them? The fact that all the users making them made only one review so far, the one that gives good score to heroes VI. That smells like a cheap trick of the makers of the game to me...
  23. Oct 19, 2011
    Although quite lovely to look at and easy to control, HOMM6 is a complete disaster as a challenging and intelligent strategy game. Its all glitz and no guts.

The artificial intelligence is generally effective in the tactical combat phase, which features an excellent array of troop skills and synergies that make combat complex and fun. But the AI is extremely weak in the strategy game. It
    does stupid things like flee from its own city when facing an attack, aimlessly running back and forth across the map, and not even trying to capture a city with its strong army before running out of time (when it has no city). This stupidity essentially kills the game for anyone interested in solo play on skirmish maps against a computer opponent which, in my view, is more or less the heart and soul of the HOMM franchise.

But even if you do have another human being to play against, a few strange game design decisions completely obliterate all the strategic value of the game. For instance, every city can now build a cheap teleporter than instantly allows heroes and their armies to jump around. This makes defending an entire empire a breeze, especially since there is no "fog of war" to obscure the movements of the enemy as they approach to attack. Similarly, captured enemy cities can be converted to your own faction for a cheap one-time cost. And all troop units are recruited from a global pool, meaning the production from all cities can be instantly recruited in a single location. Again, this makes it far too easy to manage an empire and sucks all the strategy out of the game. There are far better ways to streamline city management and troop movement without completely killing all strategic balance.

HOMM6 may have some value for people who really enjoy playing the scripted campaign mode, but even here HOMM6 is inferior to recent and similar adventure RPGs like King's Bounty. Unless the AI gets fixed, fog of war implemented (as an option, if nothing else) and players start making custom maps that turn off cheap buildings like the teleporters, HOMM6 isn't worth your money as a strategy title.
  24. Dec 4, 2011
    Started Playing but unfortunately it did not catch my attention what so ever.
    not interesting and same tedious gameplay as heroes 5, actually heroes 5 were much better in terms of controlls
    many bugs too, and in general is a waste of money, i uninstalled it and sold it
  25. Nov 8, 2011
    This game suffers from a large number of flaws, first arising with the game design, and then moving onto the atrocious DRM requirements, and finishing with the massive amount of game-breaking bugs. Design flaws:
    - Factions are noticeably imbalanced
    - Game centers around stacking a massive number of creatures on one hero and "Zerging" around the map.
    - Game is repetitive and predictable,
    with minimal strategic and tactical though necessary. You spend most of the game running around killing neutral creep camps, and then teleporting back to a base to quickly destroy the enemy hero, and then resume killing neutral camps.
    - The AI is laughable.
    - "Role-playing aspects" are poorly implemented, though the concept was promising. Several hero abilities (e.g. Reinforcements) are absolutely necessary regardless of your build, most hero abilities are more or less negligible in impact, and basically "useless"
    - Game centers around ensuring that you take 0 losses per battle. There are multiple different version of the "heal" spell, all of which do the same thing - minimize losses. Again, this makes the game repetitive, predictable, boring, and ultimately, frustrating to play.

Bugs:
    - Imperial griffon dive ability has no effect
    - Luck / Critical hits don't actually augment damage.
    - Dynasty weapons disappear
    - Loading a game makes it impossible to scroll your map using the mouse
    - Creature growth can become negative after the "Week of the Plague". It becomes impossible to add to your army after this point. If you lack a saved game, you must restart the entire level.
    - I'm a long time fan of the HMM franchise, and a game industry professional. This game should not have been released in this state - in fact, looking at the state of the game alone, this game could have, *should have* stayed in development for another 6 months to a year. The number of non-Sev 1 Pri 1-type bugs is staggering (Severity 1, Priority 1, any bug that is a "showstopper"). Sure, Ubisoft's dev house has likely cleared up their most glaring bugs, but the number of severely noticeable extraneous bugs makes it impossible to enjoy this game in more than the manner in which people watch a trainwreck as it occurs.

However, I'm a resilient person, a die hard fan of the series, and someone whose true passion in life is gaming. I could live with some of these bugs. The hero skills that don't work, the creature abilities that do nothing, being unable to scroll the map using the mouse after loading, even the campaign map triggers that fire improperly and make the entire level impossible to complete. But this Conflux connectivity requirement is the most poorly implemented online-single play functionality I've seen. Look at Starcraft 2 as an example, in the future, of how you should design your PC campaigns to work with online functionality. All saved games should still be accessable without a net connection - especially if your own cloud servers are unreliable. This alone makes it clear to me, seeing as how Ubisoft only bothered to push Black Hole to do the minimum amount of work necesary to push this game out onto market, that this publisher really only cares about getting as much return from their investment as possible, even if they have to essentially scam their customers into buying a ****-poor excuse of a half-finished game. Rather than doing the honorable thing of taking at least a few months to polish up your product to please your customer base, you've alienated long-time fans of this series.

As things stand, I am never going to purchase another Ubisoft title again. I know people make threats like this and fail to follow through, but I promise that you will never see me buying another title with an Ubisoft logo anywhere near it. Furthermore, I am going to encourage my close friends and acquaintances to avoid purchasing Ubisoft products. Lastly, I am going to do my part to make sure that the Metacritic Score for this title truly reflects the quality and overall experience of this game. A score of 7/10 is simply too high.

UBISOFT: Hopefully, you will learn from your mistakes. Hopefully, you will learn to treat legacy franchises like HMM with the same sense of devotion and respect that your customers hold for them. Your customers deserve nothing less than developers and publishers who have a passion for each and every title they release. And, in the event that such passion and devotion is lacking, you should learn to opt out. You have no business working to release a title where your only interest is to take a respected name, to sully it, to release a poor mockery of what it should be, and then jump ship with as money as you can grab before the boat sinks.
  26. Nov 9, 2011
    I will not talk about the bugs, i simply will try to review the game!
    I made a big mistake in buying this game and should have known better. In the aspect of game play and strategy nothing has changed since HOMM V. It comes out to be a boring routine: You eliminate all of the neutral armies on the map, defend against the AI heroes who come along now and then and from time to time conquer
    an opponent town. Sound like many other round based strategy games, but:

1) there are hundreds of neutral armies on the map and instead of making the game more interesting it gets more boring because all the battles are the same and repeating. So its more "working off the map" instead.
    2) the ai is absolutely predictable and non-challenging
    3) the role-playing part has been implemented very poor. No matter if you choose "blood" or "tears" u still can choose the same skills
    4) at the end you will always choose the same spells, because battling comes down to one goal: minimize losses (if at all). So you choose healing spells, spells that raise your armies (reinforcements or summon spells) and spells that will paralyze your foes (so u can heal)
    5) not even the story line is very deep nor interesting. It looks like some small stories were tried to be hammered together to one big story. Also the german voices are sometimes a little bit childish.

Very annoying is the fact, that when you accelerate the battle, the sound is accelerated as well: at maximum speed you hear only beeping and cheeping. I read it in a review and i thought "well, it will not be so annoying" but after playing some hours it does!

I am absolutely disappointed by this game and i regret having it bought! I have no clue, why it got so many good reviews by professional magazines and e-zines, i cannot recommend it at all!
  27. Nov 25, 2011
    The game looks good, there are many new features compared to the older games of the series and I think it has great potential... BUT it has the worst problem of all.... Bugs Bugs Bugs... The game freezes with no reason... It is completely unplayable... A good game wasted....
  28. Dec 25, 2011
    I am enjoying this game, but the complaints do have merit. Fun but dumb. There's not a lot of depth to the strategy... Even simple stuff like flanking bonuses are absent. The designers should play some table top minis. Serious glitches exist. Example: Level 2 went unsolvable because of a rigid cut scene schedule. Music is mediocre, graphics are fine but not ideal. EDIT: I am taking this down a point after the latest patch did not fix a host of serious problems. Expand
  29. Oct 14, 2011
    While fifth installment had dubious design decisions just like this one, it still had a spirit of the series. This one feels like something entirely different, even though most of mechanics remained. This should've been named as Heroes : Something, because its content is too small to be considered full sequel. Overall, it may be a nice timekiller to wait for Skyrim, still it nowhere near the magic of HOMM3 masterpiece and it also lacks the technical edge and innovations of HOMM5. Expand

1. Dec 12, 2011
    This is definitely not the high point of the series. Someone may need to return to the old drawing board.
  2. Dec 4, 2011
    A damn fine - if at times somewhat unforgiving - turn-based game with strategic depth and hours upon hours of play. [Christmas 2011, p.52]
  3. Nov 30, 2011
    Engrossing exploration, diverse development, and challenging combat return in Might & Magic Heroes VI.