7.4

1. Dec 20, 2011
    Minecraft is actually quite a fun experience for a while, a fairly short while and it is by no means a game. Notch struck it lucky with a great idea and an amazing response from the internet that has catapulted him into the realms of the super rich, I think this was probably the worst thing for minecraft, a good steady income would of resulted in much more work being done on the game overMinecraft is actually quite a fun experience for a while, a fairly short while and it is by no means a game. Notch struck it lucky with a great idea and an amazing response from the internet that has catapulted him into the realms of the super rich, I think this was probably the worst thing for minecraft, a good steady income would of resulted in much more work being done on the game over the last year or so instead it has seen little progress as like anyone would in the same situation Notch has been distracted by his new found wealth.It has been the tireless efforts of unpaid mod makers that have fleshed the game out into a much more enjoyable experience. Expand
  2. Dec 8, 2011
    A game in which you play as a generic block guy and run around a randomly generated world full of blocks. Your aim is a collect blocks and stack them. If you're an imaginative person you can quite possibly pretend that the game is an amazing adventure. Reality suggests otherwise. Buggy, horrible graphics, horrible AI, rushed final release. Meanwhile, the creator is a multimillionaire whoA game in which you play as a generic block guy and run around a randomly generated world full of blocks. Your aim is a collect blocks and stack them. If you're an imaginative person you can quite possibly pretend that the game is an amazing adventure. Reality suggests otherwise. Buggy, horrible graphics, horrible AI, rushed final release. Meanwhile, the creator is a multimillionaire who passive-aggressively abuses people on twitter, takes more vacations then he actually works and abandons the game upon release. Expand
  3. May 15, 2012
    Minecraft had a lot of potential. I have been checking up with Minecraft since its alpha stages, back when the only player modes were some weird survival and creative, and zombies dropped feathers. People like to root for the underdog, and I understand. So, of course, people root for Notch. But if you separate yourself from the emotions and the novelty, you realize that Minecraft isMinecraft had a lot of potential. I have been checking up with Minecraft since its alpha stages, back when the only player modes were some weird survival and creative, and zombies dropped feathers. People like to root for the underdog, and I understand. So, of course, people root for Notch. But if you separate yourself from the emotions and the novelty, you realize that Minecraft is vastly unfinished upon release. Promises made by Notch, for example, included various game modes like capture the flag, and a fully-functioning NPC village, among others I won't even bother listing. Yes, I play this game. I do like it to some degree, which is why I'm giving it a 4 out of 10. But the reality is that, when you compare it to everything on the market, nay, just compare it to other indie games, and you realize just how hard Notch dropped the ball on this one. The graphics are atrocious, and the term "retro graphics" don't justify it. Chrono Trigger is "retro" and still a beautiful game, so calling something retro to justify it being plain and ugly is awful. The music is serene, but nice. The combat is unvaried and unfortunately dull when it comes to the majority of the game, but the brewing/potion system and enchanting added a little to the game. Shame your only two real weapons are swords and bows.

The strength in Minecraft's programming comes from Jeb and, guess what, people other than Team Mojang. It's the mods and add-ons that aren't from Team Mojang that make this game actually fun and entertaining, and people tend to forget that. If you mod the heck out of it, great, fantastic, good game. But stand-alone it's an incredibly monotonous, uninspired simulator.
  4. Dec 23, 2011
    Game seems like a great idea and building is fun but... The AI is really bad and the NPCs merely exist (they don't talk, interact with you or even run when attacked). The game has been in beta development for years and is still bug ridden after the "official release" this year. It's sold well but once you play, you'll see how much the developer has dropped the ball with givingGame seems like a great idea and building is fun but... The AI is really bad and the NPCs merely exist (they don't talk, interact with you or even run when attacked). The game has been in beta development for years and is still bug ridden after the "official release" this year. It's sold well but once you play, you'll see how much the developer has dropped the ball with giving meaningful updates and listening to the community. It takes me 15 minutes to log into MY OWN server due to Minecrafts central server having issues with validation. Anyone else trying to log in has the same problems. The game gets very boring to play by yourself (but once again, good luck getting other players on your server). The end dimension is very pointless and you can tell that there wasn't much effort put into coming up with it, as with most of their other updates...just read the update history and you'll see: Mooshroom cows for example.

Don't buy this and get Terraria instead. You can usually get it for under $3 on Steam (it goes on sale all the time) and it's a much better made (and less buggy) game.
  5. Nov 30, 2011
    A fine little gem of a sandbox marred by apathetic developers, primitive and thereby buggy coding and an unreasonable amount of praise for what is really just a simplistic open-world sandbox. While that might be a rarity nowadays, it doesn't constitute an amazing game or gameplay; it merely allows for a potentially huge investment.
  6. Nov 24, 2011
    Not delivering seems to be mantra of Mojang, as Minecraft, now in final release, delivers nothing from the better priced (and less expensive) beta-release but at a higher price.

The game, if you can call it that, relies on the user to make their own fun that, while interesting for the first few hours, will quickly become boring and tedious. This can be sometimes overcome with new content supplied by it's large user-base and their custom mods (many of which were designed to fix problems within the game or with it's lack of actual content).

However, if you don't feel like taking your time and finding new mods to try and extend the game's playtime, many of these mods will find their way into actual Mojang official updates.

This product, for better or worse, is more of a "LEGOS on computers" than a sandbox-style RPG but you might have more fun with the limitations of the LEGOS than then the "here is the world, you figure out what to do" style of Minecraft.
  7. Nov 28, 2011
    Honestly, i have only one quite small question. Where is the magic in it ? Because i don't see any reason to waste my money and pay for Tetris-like looking game...
  8. Dec 15, 2011
    Lets see. This game ripoffs Infiniminer. The devs are obviously lazy and greedy. Not only it looks like **** but it also runs so, i get more FPS in Skyrim than here. Its also overhyped, overrated and overpriced. Hardly worth even a neutral rating.
  9. Nov 25, 2011
    At it's core a strong game, but lacking too many promised features and functions to be considered a complete game. Minecraft lowers the bar for design, graphics, expectations for a finished title (no server browser?), and only functions well when mods are implemented. Buying this one-hit wonder from Notch is only increasing the length he'll inevitably fall, since he isn't an experiencedAt it's core a strong game, but lacking too many promised features and functions to be considered a complete game. Minecraft lowers the bar for design, graphics, expectations for a finished title (no server browser?), and only functions well when mods are implemented. Buying this one-hit wonder from Notch is only increasing the length he'll inevitably fall, since he isn't an experienced enough dev to either refine / fix this game by himself or create another fun one. Expand
  10. Nov 24, 2011
    We are really close to the end of the world for this kind of game being appointed as the best PC game of the Year. If it was appointed for best game for your Windows 95 I would try to accept, because it's not a game, it's a tool. I don't see any elements that appoint this as a game, it's more like a 3d map editor with disguised monsters and horrible AI. The graphics isn't the problem, theWe are really close to the end of the world for this kind of game being appointed as the best PC game of the Year. If it was appointed for best game for your Windows 95 I would try to accept, because it's not a game, it's a tool. I don't see any elements that appoint this as a game, it's more like a 3d map editor with disguised monsters and horrible AI. The graphics isn't the problem, the "game" is the problem and such high metascore for a map editor... Well it's a joke. Expand
  11. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is absolute rubbish. The combat is mindlessly simple spamming of mouse 1 and the enemies pathing and AI is a joke. The building and mining is incredibly boring. The "exploration" is an absolute waste of time. The entire game is the same thing with slightly different textures. What a waste of money.
  12. Nov 25, 2011
    Terrible, unfinished game. Not even old school games look this bad and the lack of an actual AI past, "I KILL U" and "I NO KILL U" is inexcusable.
  13. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecrap final version review: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The final version of this game is nothing but the original game with added "survival mode." The Survival element gets boring after a few days of playing. The combat is boring and repetitive. The few amounts of weapons and armor are all the same, they just have a different color. The AI... they suck. Get close to them, you loose health.Minecrap final version review: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The final version of this game is nothing but the original game with added "survival mode." The Survival element gets boring after a few days of playing. The combat is boring and repetitive. The few amounts of weapons and armor are all the same, they just have a different color. The AI... they suck. Get close to them, you loose health. You just spam attack from a distance and kill them. You block them in a hole, they can't get out. Then you have the NPCs.... THEY DO NOTHING! You can't talk to them, can't trade items with them, you can't do anything with them! The dungeons? All the same. Filled with the same boring AI inside them. The only enjoyable element of this game is building structures alone or with friends.... WHICH YOU CAN DO FOR FREE ON MINECRAFT CLASSIC! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Its not worth 30 bucks, its no better then any other free java game on the web. Expand
  14. Nov 24, 2011
    Ignore the critics. Buy this game today and you'll be nothing but bitterly disappointed. There are no tutorials meaning you'll spend most of your play time on the wiki and actually and no real purpose to this game. Yes it is an excellent time sink at first and some people will never grow tired of building ever more vast structures, but the average gamer should look for something else.Ignore the critics. Buy this game today and you'll be nothing but bitterly disappointed. There are no tutorials meaning you'll spend most of your play time on the wiki and actually and no real purpose to this game. Yes it is an excellent time sink at first and some people will never grow tired of building ever more vast structures, but the average gamer should look for something else. There are far better actually complete games (that have only been around for as long as the Beta's) you can spend your money on. Look at games around or under the £17 mark, check it's metacritic score is more then 50 and buy it. I can pretty much guarantee it will be a far better *game* then this. Collapse
  15. Nov 21, 2011
    While this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam. The developers don't take the game seriously, they would rather sit around in the office all day, playing games, promising features they never deliver on. It would be great to see a serious developer who isn't full of themselves take this game on and make it into something really great. It has SO MUCH potential. The onlyWhile this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam. The developers don't take the game seriously, they would rather sit around in the office all day, playing games, promising features they never deliver on. It would be great to see a serious developer who isn't full of themselves take this game on and make it into something really great. It has SO MUCH potential. The only great thing about this game is the community, they have MADE the game with all the mods and support. The developer has simply profited off everyone else's hard work. Expand
  16. Nov 19, 2011
    - Full of bugs
    - Performs terribly
    - Bad graphics - Repetitve gameplay - Maps have near infinite horizontal space but very limited vertical space - Half-assed RPG elements. - Monsters have the worst AI in the history of game programming - Multiplayer often doesn't work - Poor developer support - Despite simple aesthetic, requires immensely powerful hardware to run at acceptable settings. +
    - Full of bugs
    - Performs terribly
    - Bad graphics
    - Repetitve gameplay
    - Maps have near infinite horizontal space but very limited vertical space
    - Half-assed RPG elements.
    - Monsters have the worst AI in the history of game programming
    - Multiplayer often doesn't work
    - Poor developer support
    + Cheaper than most other games
    + Good replay value
    + Large modding community

This system won't let me go into the negatives so a zero was the best I could give this. This game is an excellent example of wasted potential. It became popular as a building/Lego game with small combat elements to keep you on your toes. Now it's a game about swinging pixelated swords at things until they fall over. The world is so cluttered with 'dungeons' now that it's impossible to dig for five minutes without breaking into another spider pit. The height limit hasn't been raised since pre-alpha, so you won't be building anything taller than the London Tower or digging anything deeper than your swimming pool. The multiplayer is buggy, incomplete, and lacks the tools for proper moderation. This game is so incomplete that there is literally no one that plays this game vanilla.
  17. Nov 24, 2011
    nothing to see here just an over-rated game; it doesn't even come close to living up to the hype; definitely not worth the asking price. the game does run properly, but its all programmed in java, which sucks. its far from a masterpiece; its at best a temporary distraction; or a game to play if you have a computer from the stone age.
  18. Nov 24, 2011
    Virtual Lego's with bad graphics. That's all it is and it sells for over $25. It does nothing new, creative or original. I don't understand fads, never have and probably never will. What I do understand is people waste millions on them and later wonder what they were thinking. This is Minecraft.
  19. Sep 19, 2011
    This game use to be fun, but its way too repetitive and boring
  20. Sep 17, 2011
    This game is just terrible, its boring and it has the graphics of a calculator. I played games in the 80's that had better graphics than this. This is only a game for people who are sheep. Stay away from this Horrible, terrible game
  21. May 29, 2011
    Minecraft is just a little novelty game, if you can get past the sickeningly horrid graphics, which I couldn't. I have NEVER hated a game for it's graphics before, but this... this is just wrong. I mean for starters you can't give this game a perfect score when it has 70's graphics yet it came out last year.
  22. Oct 27, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. I mostly play games single player though, and I feel that the single player experience is Minecraft's biggest weakness. Exploring is fun at first, as is mining minerals and getting better gear, but this quickly becomes repetitive because there is not as much to find. Building grand structures and complex mechanisms (the highlight of the game) is notI really wanted to like this game. I mostly play games single player though, and I feel that the single player experience is Minecraft's biggest weakness. Exploring is fun at first, as is mining minerals and getting better gear, but this quickly becomes repetitive because there is not as much to find. Building grand structures and complex mechanisms (the highlight of the game) is not much fun in a world where you are the only one to appreciate it. Combat is another big weakness. There are essentially only two ways to attack enemies: melee attacks and bows. All weapons in the game have the same "attacks" so combat is the same formula throughout the game, you just don't have many options. This all might have been tolerable if the game had a pleasant atmosphere, but with graphics that I personally don't think look good, and a lack of good music, the game is not fun to spend time in. If it had better physics, more combat options (like magic), and more "progression" the game would be fun for single player, but as it is now it's really just a sandbox building game with some survival, exploration, and combat elements tacked on. Expand
  23. Apr 4, 2014
    My computer hyperventilates more often playing Minecraft than it does Mirror's Edge. My brain can't stand to have the same activity repeated every time I start up the game. I can't stand the community,"YOLO SWAG! YOU HACKER! STOP HACKING! STRAFING IS A GREAT STRATEGY! I HAVE NO LIFE! BUTTER IS GOLD! I'M SUICIDAL!" Worst of all, my friends ONLY have Mindcrap, so they beg me to play.My computer hyperventilates more often playing Minecraft than it does Mirror's Edge. My brain can't stand to have the same activity repeated every time I start up the game. I can't stand the community,"YOLO SWAG! YOU HACKER! STOP HACKING! STRAFING IS A GREAT STRATEGY! I HAVE NO LIFE! BUTTER IS GOLD! I'M SUICIDAL!" Worst of all, my friends ONLY have Mindcrap, so they beg me to play. Survival games. "PVP." The only two activities they enjoy on this game. Most people only like Minecraft because it's the only game they have. I got my friend Garry's Mod, AND HE NEVER PLAYS IT! WHEN HE DOES, HE DOES FOR FIVE MINUTES, THEN GOES AND PLAYS "SURVIVAL GAMES"! I could rant and rave all day about this game, but I'm tired and going insane from my Minecraft player friend. Expand
  24. May 9, 2015
    This game was good before 1.8 beta, with people making amazing pixel art and there were amazing vanilla servers.
    Now it's just a couple of 12 year old kids trying to be funny on the internet by playing on extremely modded servers that make completely no sense, griefing and hacking.
    If you dislike this review than you're a 12 year old kid yourself.
  25. Sep 24, 2014
    Fun at first, fun for youtubers, overrated as hell, eventually only mods and plugins will make it fun. Servers if you're lucky. But guess who DOESN'T get paid? Mod, plugin and server devs. Actual game devs are lazy idiots who ride off of the success of the community and sell it to microsoft, before walking out claiming they can't handle it.
  26. Dec 16, 2014
    Overrated game, I actually don't get why those "critics" have acclaimed this game, it's monotonous, boring as hell, graphics suck, time consuming, not rewarding as you get little input after lots of effort and time for building something, it has no gameplay whatsoever and you're just there in the middle of nowhere and have to waste time building something that will look terrible anyway.Overrated game, I actually don't get why those "critics" have acclaimed this game, it's monotonous, boring as hell, graphics suck, time consuming, not rewarding as you get little input after lots of effort and time for building something, it has no gameplay whatsoever and you're just there in the middle of nowhere and have to waste time building something that will look terrible anyway. The graphics are so horrible that give me headache, I'd rather play the originals Doom or Hexen instead of this sh*t with crappy design. Overrated at all. Expand
  27. Mar 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The most overrated game EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  28. Jun 22, 2013
    Boring game without any interesting updates. We have a promise from Mojang about new Mod API, new animals, adventure mode etc but we didn't get any new features apart from useless horses. It was revolution before, but now Mojang broken their nice game to something which is rubbish and boring.
  29. Aug 29, 2013
    Ugh, just terrible. Sure, good graphics doesn't mean a good game, but this game was bad in every aspect. What is this game? What exactly is the purpose of this game? It's not about creativity, it's not what the game developer aimed for. The game is terrible and deserves this nil. As another person suggested, this is merely Lego on your computer screen, and yes, the Minecraft communityUgh, just terrible. Sure, good graphics doesn't mean a good game, but this game was bad in every aspect. What is this game? What exactly is the purpose of this game? It's not about creativity, it's not what the game developer aimed for. The game is terrible and deserves this nil. As another person suggested, this is merely Lego on your computer screen, and yes, the Minecraft community consists of under aged immature kids. Expand
  30. Oct 8, 2014
    Not worth the purchase at all! The game is full of bugs and glitches! It wouldn't download on my PC either. The controls were easy. I don't recommend Minecraft to anybody!
  31. Nov 24, 2011

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]