7.4

1. Nov 30, 2011
    Originally, Minecraft didn't deserve the criticisms thrown at it. 'Lame graphics'-nah. There delightfully retro, and look great in this decidedly modern world. But, after the game FINALLY got out of beta, it's now been criticised of not fulfilling it's enourmous potential. I'd argue it's done a lot-massive, devoted community, multiple biomes, tons of blocks. This isn't the end of MinecraftOriginally, Minecraft didn't deserve the criticisms thrown at it. 'Lame graphics'-nah. There delightfully retro, and look great in this decidedly modern world. But, after the game FINALLY got out of beta, it's now been criticised of not fulfilling it's enourmous potential. I'd argue it's done a lot-massive, devoted community, multiple biomes, tons of blocks. This isn't the end of Minecraft though. It will continue to be updated. Improved. Refined. It rocks all kinds of awesome now, but in the future, it will be unstopable. Er, just don't hold your breath. Expand
  2. Mar 12, 2011
    No game that has ever existed has created an immersion as large as minecraft has done.

Using as simple as a program as java, 1 man (yes, 1 man) named notch, with a brilliant idea, has made millions. Companies such as Mojang should set a large example for huge companies with massive developers overlooking them. Gaming today is turning from a passion to a "get rich quick scheme", where people create games not out of loving to make them, but out of the lust for money.*COUGH* Treyarch, EA, IW, Bungie*COUGH*.

When you see a company, the underdog, shoving a fist up the asses of the EA'S of the owrld (rhetorically of course), you seem to want to root them on by buying there games....

what the hell am I talking aout... I forgot where I was going with this.

Good game, immersive, and fun.
  3. Mar 17, 2011
    Minecraft is just one of those games that has limitless possibilities. The basic concept can be described as a massive world of legos. From spawn, you can build whatever you want with the resources you find. Of course, there are many mods that allow people that arent so crazy about the scavenging for resources to simply build without obstruction. You can share your masterpieces with yourMinecraft is just one of those games that has limitless possibilities. The basic concept can be described as a massive world of legos. From spawn, you can build whatever you want with the resources you find. Of course, there are many mods that allow people that arent so crazy about the scavenging for resources to simply build without obstruction. You can share your masterpieces with your friends, or download user-created mini-games and puzzles within the minecraft universe. MInecraft is perfect for any one who is creative and enjoys building to expressive themselves. Unlike Lego's, we can play this without feeling (and looking) stupid. Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2011
    Here's a few things I love about Minecraft, in no particular order:

- The open-ended gameplay. With a little thought, you can accomplish almost anything you want. The artistically inclined will certainly find a niche to fill somewhere in here. - The graphics. Testament to the fact that photo-realism need not be a requirement in today's game market. Those who prefer prettied-up games may
    Here's a few things I love about Minecraft, in no particular order:

- The graphics. Testament to the fact that photo-realism need not be a requirement in today's game market. Those who prefer prettied-up games may avoid Minecraft for this reason.
    - Exploration. The game world is generated by complex algorithms which create stunning, completely unique formations on a whim. There's a sense of discovery here akin to that which was felt by European explorers when they first set sail to distant Atlantic islands all those years ago.
    - The monsters. The skeletons wielding bows, the zombies that inexplicably drop feathers, and the horrendous ghasts of the Nether are quirky, but fearsome. They're simple, effective antagonists. How many other games are best-known by an image of their villain? (Don't answer that, there's probably a lot!)
    - The mechanics. They're simple, and (for the most part) make sense. Building, crafting, and mining are handled in a way that makes even the most laborious of tasks seem interesting. Never before have I kept playing a game after digging into a dark, clammy cave, getting knocked off of a ledge by a green ball of slime, falling into lava, and losing everything in my inventory.
    - The music. C418's small, simple melodies fit perfectly into the world of Minecraft- doing well to characterize the game's attitude with itself and to create dissonance and assonance with in-game events. The melody of a piano can be calming or frightening depending on what you're doing as you listen. Overall, Minecraft is a good fit for me. It's the sort of game I wish was made more often. It isn't harsh or in-your-face, trading the attitudes associated with most video games for those of board games or building blocks. It's a toy, meant to be enjoyed, not mastered. It's the best game I've played in a long while.
  5. Apr 12, 2011
    In a time when the gaming industry is becoming more and more dominated by developers unwilling to take risks, this is an independent gem, clever and inspired. The best way to describe it is "lego world," but that does it a disservice. It is simply hard to put a label on the game.

You start off in a randomly generated world, no weapons, no items. Your first action will be to punch a tree. From there you have ten minutes of in game daytime before night falls. By that time you should have built a shelter and have torches for light. If you survive your first night, the rest is up to you. You can dig a mile below the earth or build skyscrapers up to the clouds. Tools can be shaped to build better tools. You can build waterfalls, glass windows, chests, farm wheat, sugar, cactus, boats, docks, music blocks, switch operated doors and traps, elaborate transportation systems, underwater glass bases, lava pits, gates to hell, skywalks across forests or deserts or snow-covered hills or plains.

The world is yours to shape. Just watch out for creepers.
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    Minecraft is simple as can be yet vast and intricate. Many negative reviews of minecraft say that the problem is 'there is only so much you can do'. But the creation is limited by your imagination, and in my opinion its not fair to say that you're being limited by anything other than your imagination. furthermore, even if you have an incredibly limited imagination, the game has anMinecraft is simple as can be yet vast and intricate. Many negative reviews of minecraft say that the problem is 'there is only so much you can do'. But the creation is limited by your imagination, and in my opinion its not fair to say that you're being limited by anything other than your imagination. furthermore, even if you have an incredibly limited imagination, the game has an infrastructure and basic goals that still allow you to have fun. Expand
  7. Apr 18, 2011
    Minecraft can get bored very soon, it is also difficult to learn. But, when you learn how and what to craft, you probably can see all the possibilities. Also if are kind of explorer or creative person, you will find whole new world from it.

Me and kids (from 3 to 7 yrs) have many, many hours with Minecraft. Because it is work in progress, I'm sure we will spend many more hours yet. Note!

Note! There can be zombies, skeletons, giant spiders, etc. in game. Adult should be present, and least for starters ;)
  8. May 4, 2011
    This game, even if he isn't not finished yet, is already a classic that can only be bettered, By its excellent gameplay, it's originalities, and its strong community, must be put as a dictionary definition of awesomeness.
  9. May 25, 2011
    If you haven't bough this, buy it now! This game has 3D pixels for graphics, and the maps are made of FREAKING BLOCKS! Multiplayer is a hit because you can build with your friends or with a 16-year old Scottish dude. Simple but marvelous gameplay makes this one of the best PC games in my opinion.
  10. Jul 21, 2011
    Don't you dare listen to those that criticize it for it's "gay graphics" and "pointlessness". Minecraft's graphics are purposely pixelated, and that in no way automatically makes it horrible. It adds a very touching charm to the game. People these days don't seem to have any fondness of charming things and would rather up their K/D ratio. Minecraft is anything but pointless. You have toDon't you dare listen to those that criticize it for it's "gay graphics" and "pointlessness". Minecraft's graphics are purposely pixelated, and that in no way automatically makes it horrible. It adds a very touching charm to the game. People these days don't seem to have any fondness of charming things and would rather up their K/D ratio. Minecraft is anything but pointless. You have to create your OWN fun. "What's that? The developers were too lazy to make the fun for you? DRAMATIC GASP!" Wrong, they have supplied you with an extremely hearty amount of extremely hearty things that you can have an extremely hearty amount of fun with. If you wanted to, you could: Build, anything from an underground troll hole to the most freakin' awe-inspiring cathedral to ever grace the virtual (ore real) world; Mine, in a randomly-generated world where you can destroy, pickup and change EVERYTHING, the world is your's to sculpt; Create, fantastic contraptions using a special electricity-conducting ore called Redstone to power block-moving pistons, music-making note blocks, noob-pwning traps (one guy even made a functioning computer the size of a continent!); Craft; using an intuitive crafting system, craft things by forming the general shape of the tool with the items you have; Explore, there's fantastic cloud-raping mountains and dark scary caves with monsters waiting for you to find them, there's even an alternate hell dimension for you to conquer! Expand
  11. Dec 1, 2011
    This game was ruined after 1.7. Notch has started to add things that in my opinion just don't belong in the game. The combat system is uninteresting and boring but that was made up for by the large amount of creative potential the game offers. The only reason it out lives other creativity tools like Gary's Mod is because it makes you work for the resources.
  12. Jun 15, 2011
    Very nice game. The never-ending open-world concept is refreshing and quite welcome. I get so sick and tired of devs that think a game HAS to have an ending like a book or a movie. Mojang have their heads on straight though and realize that a game can be fun and extremely addicting and open-ended to the point of lasting virtually forever (or as long as the gamer can play physically playVery nice game. The never-ending open-world concept is refreshing and quite welcome. I get so sick and tired of devs that think a game HAS to have an ending like a book or a movie. Mojang have their heads on straight though and realize that a game can be fun and extremely addicting and open-ended to the point of lasting virtually forever (or as long as the gamer can play physically play it). I've built entire cities in Minecraft. Some underground, some on the ground, some in the sky, and even one in the Nether using materials I had to bring in from the normal world. I hope Mojang don't get lazy or distracted with other silly projects now that they are loaded with cash. I want them to keep focusing on this game to completion and beyond. My only complaint would be that the game is possibly TOO modable and almost every multiplayer server I've tried has been moded to the point of idiocy. Expand
  13. Mar 28, 2011
    just to start you off, this game is AMAZING!!!! the concept is quite simple, yet even more effective than quite a few games, even games you have to pay $60 or so for. Though the single player is absolutely great for the first little while, it does eventually get boring, however, as most games do, the multi player makes it worth the $15 or $20 bucks you pay to own it for life. The best partjust to start you off, this game is AMAZING!!!! the concept is quite simple, yet even more effective than quite a few games, even games you have to pay $60 or so for. Though the single player is absolutely great for the first little while, it does eventually get boring, however, as most games do, the multi player makes it worth the $15 or $20 bucks you pay to own it for life. The best part of this game is how excellently it executes the creative side of your brain, you must think of how you make items using different items and in what pattern they must be in, or how exactly you can make a pyramid almost a third of a mile wide. Overall this game deliver something like no other ( except for dwarf fortress and infiniminer.) some may use an argument such as " oh, it is really pixely!!!" this is a comment which should be thought about, for each map is 8 times the surface of the earth which is 51,200,000,000 cubic meters... that would take low resolution in order to handle that much. Expand
  14. Dec 22, 2011
    I don't get it, how can Notch release a game that is half complete and has loads of bugs in it? All the ideas and stuff Notch stole from mods like alchemy. Not worth more than £8 id say
  15. Nov 28, 2011
    If I were reviewing this game based purely on its potential then it would get 11 out of 10; however, given that it has now been officially released at full price, I have to say that this is one of the most incomplete, buggy, and patently rushed titles I've ever played. Yet despite this, the fact that I am still able to award it a score of 6/10 is testament to the fundamental fun factor ofIf I were reviewing this game based purely on its potential then it would get 11 out of 10; however, given that it has now been officially released at full price, I have to say that this is one of the most incomplete, buggy, and patently rushed titles I've ever played. Yet despite this, the fact that I am still able to award it a score of 6/10 is testament to the fundamental fun factor of the voxel-based gameplay.

Minecraft has predominantly two main gameplay styles: lego sandbox creativity and first person survival. Both of these elements complement each other nicely. Want to build a log cabin? Then first you must go out to gather wood, battling any monsters you might encounter along the way. Want to increase your chances of survival? Then you might want to dig out an underground fortress with easy access to ores and resources. Both aspects have an almost symbiotic relationship. This raw Minecraft gameplay is great, allowing you to build whatever your heart's desire, and thankfully hasn't really changed much since the game was in the alpha stage. However, there has been a gradual shoehorning in of a third gameplay style -- the RPG -- and with it has come a lot of the bugs and rushed features now plaguing the game.

Firstly, let's get one of the main problems out of the way -- NPC villages. These are, to put it bluntly, terrible. The village buildings are passable, but the villagers themselves have absolutely awful character models, almost zero AI, they don't speak, they don't react in any way (even if you attack them), and don't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever.

Secondly -- experience orbs. These are glowing orbs that drop after you kill a monster which can be used as a kind of enchantment currency. A very strange and seemingly rushed experience system. Rather than have a dedicated skill tree which might be spent on extra mining speed or other useful attributes, the points are used to apply a completely random enchantment on an item. Because of this randomness, the system adds a horrific level of slot-machine grinding as you waste a lot of time struggling to get a half decent enchantment. ** Spoilers in this paragraph ** Thirdly -- the End. This new other worldly dimension was added to give the game a final level and a proper ending. In theory it is not too bad an idea, but the implementation is poor. The End is really just a very dark and uninteresting boss arena populated by Endermen monsters, a few pillars, and a dragon boss. The dragon boss has minimal AI, no phases, doesn't breath fire, but does have a gargantuan energy bar which makes for a very tedious end boss fight. After successfully defeating the dragon you then get an incredibly long-winded pseudo-philosophical text narrative that seems to come out of nowhere, which is at its best hollow and at its worst cringe-worthy. You are also rewarded with a dragon egg that can't be picked up, but which teleports a few squares away from you when you hit it... ? **End of spoilers **

I'll leave the criticisms of the new RPG mechanics there, but the overriding feeling you get is that it would have been better if instead of working on adding these rather slap-dash features, the developers should have been refining and polishing the existing gameplay. There are still a lot of things that could have been addressed before the final release. Stuff like: no water life, no wool regrowth, oppressive void fog, ugly swamp transitions, no mod API, no path-finding AI, game-breaking terrain generation bugs etc. To sum up, if the game was still in the alpha stage with the cheaper price tag, you could easily overlook the current bugs and missing features, but as a final release it is severely lacking the necessary polish required to give it a rating it could potentially deserve.
  16. Nov 21, 2011
    I love Minecraft. It's a great game, and it's ensnared me for almost as much as some of The Elder Scrolls games. It's gotten me through boring calculus lectures and has inspired my Halloween costume. With Minecraft finally being "released", it's interesting when you look back at what it was like when you started. I am going to review this in three different sections: Single Player,I love Minecraft. It's a great game, and it's ensnared me for almost as much as some of The Elder Scrolls games. It's gotten me through boring calculus lectures and has inspired my Halloween costume. With Minecraft finally being "released", it's interesting when you look back at what it was like when you started. I am going to review this in three different sections: Single Player, Creative Mode, and Multiplayer.

Single Player:

I started in the early-middle Beta (around Beta 1.3). It was a fun game, building a house to protect yourself from the horrors at night, mining deep down in to the earth to find iron, gold, or, if I was lucky, diamond. I died quite a bit from experimentation (Hint: Don't dig straight down. That lava is nasty stuff.) but I always kept playing. It's addicting. Even now, it's still great. Since I started, they've added new mobs (for those that don't know, mob is short for mobile), new enemies, new blocks, and new concepts. Instead of only caves to explore, there are now strongholds, abandoned mine shafts and more. It's a blast to play, trying to discover that next cave to explore and mine. The experience system is rather shallow and pointless (enchanting weapons is the only current purpose for those damn green orbs) and I prefer the days of no food bar, where you could simply eat food and your health healed depending on what you ate.

I have a few minor gripes with the single player, but they are easily overlooked. SP is, in my opinion, the best part of Minecraft.

Creative Mode:

Think of this as your canvas to build whatever you want. You have unlimited access to all the blocks and you can build to your heart's content. A castle, a giant Mario, an underground dungeon...it's all up to you. This is a fun, albeit rather boring at times, mode. It is good to experiment with, however. Creative mode helped me finally refine all the redstone circuits (complicated electrical stuff) and has helped me tap in to my inner Minecraft engineer. It's a good mode, but not something that can be played constantly. Multiplayer:

Everyone's experiences with multiplayer depends on what server you play on. I ultimately found it to be kind of boring, no matter if I was on a strict survival server, an RPG server, or just with some of my friends. There is only so much to do in multiplayer and, if you are on a server that is inhabited by many different players, it is likely someone else has already mined that cave you found, or has griefed (destroyed) your house while you were offline. This is the only reason I really gave Minecraft a 9.

Overall, Minecraft is a great game that will take your life away. You'll be obsessed with finding diamonds, caves, or beating that dragon. You'll find yourself crossing oceans just to find a wolf to follow you around. It's a great game that everyone should play.
  17. Nov 23, 2011
    The reason i give this game is because modders made the game so interesting yet notch just throws a half baked game at you. Notch is the founder of Minecraft btw. So basically its a good game, amazing idea, PERFECT execution. Why a 5 then? Cuz notch is now too busy getting laid and signing papers to care about the game anymore. There used to be HUGE updates, upgrading visual effect andThe reason i give this game is because modders made the game so interesting yet notch just throws a half baked game at you. Notch is the founder of Minecraft btw. So basically its a good game, amazing idea, PERFECT execution. Why a 5 then? Cuz notch is now too busy getting laid and signing papers to care about the game anymore. There used to be HUGE updates, upgrading visual effect and quality, more content....now they just fix bugs and leave it at that...i see modders who spend 2 days making a mod and BAM! we have small clay soldiers having a war, or a giant world where you and your friend have a all out war with skeletons and zombies with explosions eveywhere and upgraded combat algorithms! Yet Notch and his small team take a month to fix a bug where a monster accidently kills himself all the time cuz he touches water....like wow. So basically the game gets a 10, the developers now get a 0. So overall the package is a 5 because if you want to have fun you are going to mod. Thats the end of it. Expand
  18. Nov 20, 2011
    Minecraft is the only game since perhaps Morrowind that has left me feeling amazed, terrified and peaceful all at the same time. As a person who has continually grown jaded towards the design of new games, Minecraft has been exactly what I need.
  19. Feb 24, 2011
    The first time I heard about Minecraft, I had no idea that a game with such wide open freeform game play could be so appealing. As a nameless protagonist without any story or purpose, youâ
  20. Mar 13, 2011
    Positive - The grphics are the best of 2009-2011.
    The controls are fluent
    The monsters are cool. And building is fun. Gripes - Combat is too unforgigivng The camera is a little **** And Multiplayer is too glitchy. So it basically has the Silent Hill Problem. Terrible gameplay being made up for by Scary-ness and brilliant atmosphere. And hey! To get your account premium it's only $24. Go
    Positive - The grphics are the best of 2009-2011.
    The controls are fluent
    The monsters are cool.
    And building is fun.

Gripes - Combat is too unforgigivng
    The camera is a little ****
    And Multiplayer is too glitchy.

And hey! To get your account premium it's only $24. Go Go Go! (At least compared to other games at over $60)
  21. Mar 25, 2011
    This is the most creative and time killer game ever. I never played AOE or HOMM like this. It's not perfect at all this time but will. I think they must recode entire game because of lack fps and huge resource usage. Although i gave it 10. Because I am a fanatic :)
  22. May 10, 2011
    Minecraft is a game in which you build stuff, not only to destroy. I mean, it's simple and the graphics are bad, but feels so creative and its... addicting. You can explore and create almost anything you want. The sky and bedrocks the limit. Play the game! If you want to try it out for free, like this page and then click on this site to play Beta for free. This is what my friends play on,Minecraft is a game in which you build stuff, not only to destroy. I mean, it's simple and the graphics are bad, but feels so creative and its... addicting. You can explore and create almost anything you want. The sky and bedrocks the limit. Play the game! If you want to try it out for free, like this page and then click on this site to play Beta for free. This is what my friends play on, and I will share this with you: http://minecraftforfree.com/play.php
    Copy and paste this onto URL.
  23. Jan 19, 2012
    A great creative game that I spent a lot of hours on, the fact that you can almost do anything is the thing that usually sucks me in, plus, the graphics although not super good, are great at making the feel of minecraft.
  24. Sep 19, 2011
    It's a very good game, though I think the Java will kill it. Since the 1.7 update, most of the users experience "Out of Memory" bug. The game just freezes, and shuts off. Like, every five minutes for some, ten for others.

I really love the game, as I said though, for a bunch of bricks, this requires some serious hardware.
  25. May 11, 2012
    This indie game is definitely one of the best games I have every played. For users who have found it boring I suggest it's only for people who are creative. Though I'm not too sure about the new updates (until 1.8). Notch started making it quite different with new items to craft and weird mobs. Overall its a great game!
  26. Nov 18, 2011
    WARNING: This game contains infinite amounts of pain, suffering, and most importantly unadulterated joy. You can do just about anything you set your mind to, and if you can't do it mod it and you then can do whatever your heart tells you to. Then if you can't do something else you can create a computer within Minecraft and make it do what you want it to do.

Final thought, if you can't

Final thought, if you can't find something to do in this game then you might as well go dig a hole and sit in it.
  27. Jul 18, 2011
    Minecraft is a simple game, not to be taken for it's face value. It's a game that is only limited by your imagination. The graphics seem poor, but add to the charm.

You start off in an empty world, inhabited only by animals. As you explore this vast world, you collect the resources needed to build your first shelter, perhaps a bed as well. As the night falls upon your world, the creatures of the night come out with only the intent of killing you. Past this first night, you return outside to collect more resources. This day, you decide, will be the day that you craft your first set of armor. Or maybe it's the day you first begin your expedition into the depths of the world to uncover more valuable ores. Whichever you choose, the ambient of the world gives you a sense of loneliness, but then the wonderful and peaceful music comes in and you realize that you are not alone, no, instead you are at peace with your surroundings. As you delve into the depths, you encounter dungeons and lava. The darkness surrounds you making torches a necessity. You keep traveling through the natural cave systems, breaking down walls with your pick until you find what you've been looking for. This simple gem represents the entirety of your struggles through your world. These diamonds will allow you to craft the most powerful tools possible. With these diamond tools, you begin to harvest obsidian. You craft some flint and steel and get to work building a portal. As you light that portal for the first time, excitement runs through you. You step into the portal and are transported to a new world, a world full of flame and lava. Where the creatures are deadlier. You have arrived in the nether. This place can be used as a way to quickly travel around the surface world, or can be used to gather strange new blocks. But soon even this place grows boring.

Once you arrive at stability, with a constant source of resources that you can gather with ease, the game becomes less of an adventure. Now that you have all that you could want, all that is left is to build. You can build anything. Your mind's eye sees this world as a canvas, your blocks as the paint. You build structure upon structure, bringing your world to life. You have farms full of wheat, a dense forest with mushrooms covering the ground, a small village, perhaps a castle with a moat, your mine shafts.

And now, you step back and look at your expansive creation. You marvel at your handiwork, despite a few flaws that you see. And then you realize how much time you have spent in this world. Hours upon hours, seemingly wasted. But you must remember; Time you enjoy wasting, isn't time wasted.

Minecraft is a simple game, a game that is only as incredible as you can make it. The game is constantly being expanded with content updates, the Multiplayer allows you to experience this vast world with your friends. If there is one thing that Minecraft is not, that is that this is not the game for those who lack imagination. You must have a drive to create, and only then will you truly see Minecraft for the masterpiece that it is.
  28. Apr 29, 2011
    Extremely open premise, and a fun world, make Minecraft a light hearted, good time.

The only reasons you really shouldn't try this game are if you don't want to use your imagination, or if graphics are an imperative for you to have a good time. The game is still in "beta," but the game is purchasable. While the developers are constantly making changes, most of them are good, and the open ended world can be fun if you put the time into it!
  29. Apr 12, 2011
    Minecraft is cheap. Minecraft is fun. Everything a game should be. Overlook the not-so-brilliant graphics and it's almost perfect. Most PC's should be able to run it, turning down the view distance dramatically increases performance if you do encounter difficulties. Now go and get Minecraft, what have you got to lose? 9/10 gameandmoviereviews.com
  30. Apr 23, 2011
    Minecraft is a sandbox game in it's purest form: You have no conditions to meet, story to follow or enemies to defeat, all you have to do is amuse yourself. The game gives you no hints or advice, so it is up to you to find out how to play the game and even there is no right of wrong answer. Personally I decided to build a big city just for myself and to finish it I called it: "Casperville"Minecraft is a sandbox game in it's purest form: You have no conditions to meet, story to follow or enemies to defeat, all you have to do is amuse yourself. The game gives you no hints or advice, so it is up to you to find out how to play the game and even there is no right of wrong answer. Personally I decided to build a big city just for myself and to finish it I called it: "Casperville" and crown myself king/dictator. I had a lot of fun for a while and unless you use a wikia site it will take roughly two months before you discovered all the different blocks and craftable items.

Minecraft mostly involves building and if you want you can do that all day long, but once the sun goes down... all hell breaks loose. At night a whole army of monsters spawn and since you are rather tasty it won't take long until you are protagonist pie. You have the option to fight back, but if you choose to do so the terrible fighting engine will easily ead to your death. The only thing you can do is hold the attack-button and hope that the enemy will die before you do or one of his friends join in on the fun. The only weapon worth using is the bow because that is a ranged weapon and you will need it when facing off against the exploding creepers.

Anyway, at dawn the zombies and skeletons burn to their death and the spiders become friendly again. After the Creepers finally left (and this will take quite a while) you can get back to whatever you were doing in the first place. The single player will keep you busy for quite a long time, but once that runs out of appeal you still have the multi player. If you erect a server with some of your pals or join a quality server the game will stay fun for years to come. Servers like Honor Craft have a great community and manage to keep the grievers out.

Lastly I want to mention the amazing presentation. Love or hate the 16-bit graphics (personally I liked them due to nostalgia), but you got to love the world. Minecraft's world is gigantic and to my understanding it keeps creating more world if you come close to the end of it. The world has; vast seas, looming mountains and beautiful valleys. If you love untainted nature then Minecraft will feel like a paradise and if you don't you can always just burn it down and build factories on top of it. It also helps that Minecraft is still in production, so the game receives constant updates. The recent update for example added weather to the game.

I can talk for hours about how beautiful Minecraft is, but I am sure you get it by now. The game looks amazing and offers a lot of content, but it does have some annoying flaws. The combat could be better and not having torches around when it's night is a **** but I am willing to look past that. This game was worth my fourteen euros and I advice you to try it out as well. You can play Minecraft for free on www.minecraft,net, but the premium version is much better.

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]