7.4

1. Dec 29, 2012
    Minecraft is the best game on the PC. Building for free is great and Survival is excellent. I thought because it was pixelated it was bad but when i played it it was satisfying and really excellent fun
  2. Jan 9, 2013
    My new favorite game. Once you get over the fact that it isn't a fast paced game and that yes, everything is made of blocks, will you understand the true splendor of Minecraft. My recommendation is find a good server that you enjoy playing on and make some friends on their - it will be worth it. You can find servers on the minecraft forums.
  3. Feb 21, 2013
    Great game overall. Frequently updated and improved and many new blocks added regularily adding up to the amount of clever contraptions and machines you can build. Great pastime and quite addicting.
  4. Apr 3, 2012
    This is a must-have game in my opinion because its a nice wind-down with peaceful music after playing a bit of battlefield 3. the multiplayer is so much fun with friends and the overall look and peaceful feel of the game is wonderful. who needs graphics?
  5. Mar 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft is a game you can play for hours and hours, each advancement better than the next. It can be repetitive, but it's usually thrilling to avoid lava, to build huge sky-scrappers, and light the sky up at night. I love this game, I need to play it more. Expand
  6. Jun 15, 2011
    I like this game, its fun, creative and plays very well over multilayer, as well as single player. I live how in the bata that there's monsters and other hazards poseing as a threat to your well being. For example theirs lava, which you can burn in. Water, that you can drown in. Monsters that will come out at night and appear in dark places, (badly lit houses, caves, tunnels, underI like this game, its fun, creative and plays very well over multilayer, as well as single player. I live how in the bata that there's monsters and other hazards poseing as a threat to your well being. For example theirs lava, which you can burn in. Water, that you can drown in. Monsters that will come out at night and appear in dark places, (badly lit houses, caves, tunnels, under over-hangs, ect) then monsters include Zombies, Skeletons with bows, and Creepers (appear on earth). Personally, I give Creepers the award for being the scarcest, (As in "Oh god, no!") and most annoying enemy, ever. Creepers will run at you when they see you, and explode when they are about 3-4 blocks away from you, this is bad since the blast will destroy the sounding blocks (Your house?) Also since there is a day and night system which lasts 10 minutes for day, 7 for night, and 1.5 for sunrise/sunset. The graphics are terrible, but that's not the point, Notch (the creator's username) is looking for good game play, and is also trying not to make MineCraft non-repetitive, which is why the maps are randomly generated, this way you can find hidden tunnels, caves, and pieces of land that look just awesome. In my opinion you should get MineCraft, its a great game. Expand
  7. Nov 22, 2011
    Minecraft is not a game. Minecraft is more of a creativity toy. Of course, with the recent addition of experience points and the hunger meter it's now steering towards the game portion. But still, Minecraft is and (hopefully) will always be about creating rather than surviving. Without a real in-game goal, the player is given free reign to whatever they want to do. They can sculpt a giantMinecraft is not a game. Minecraft is more of a creativity toy. Of course, with the recent addition of experience points and the hunger meter it's now steering towards the game portion. But still, Minecraft is and (hopefully) will always be about creating rather than surviving. Without a real in-game goal, the player is given free reign to whatever they want to do. They can sculpt a giant hand flipping the bird if they really want to, or create a scale model of the Enterprise. Or they can build a castle, a dungeon, a maze... Minecraft lets the player build almost anything they want.

Of course, a game without clear goals will bore some people and turn them off this game. The blocky graphics as well, while ideal (more or less) for a game of this kind, would probably turn some people away, especially with the ongoing "prettier is better" thought process that seems to be spreading in the industry. Minecraft is still fun though, and with some creativity can last you a very long time.
  8. May 31, 2011
    Graphics complaints are missing the point of this game. There is plenty to do and much to explore, dont bother with the free version, the only version worth beans is survivor. And find a guide to help you get started.
  9. Mar 27, 2012
    An amazing game that's just .. i don't think that there's a word for it. It is just such a wonderful game. With the addictive content i think that this is a game that just needs to be played, even for once, just for trying. The game is really a first for the indie game collection. Totally different from the other FPS or any other popular mainstream game. I just LOVE it, highly recommended !
  10. Dec 4, 2012
    Wow! This is cyberspace...and its square. Minecraft is the most truly ground-breaking game of it's time. It offers emergent game-play, a consistent challenge, huge variety and it rewards creativity. It is the only game in existence in which each of the players is able to modify the very terrain and fabric of the world. Minecraft is the first game that functions as an in-game world-editorWow! This is cyberspace...and its square. Minecraft is the most truly ground-breaking game of it's time. It offers emergent game-play, a consistent challenge, huge variety and it rewards creativity. It is the only game in existence in which each of the players is able to modify the very terrain and fabric of the world. Minecraft is the first game that functions as an in-game world-editor that lets the players co-create both architecture and adventures. Constantly expanding and versatile enough to create 3-D sculptures that are also working digital-logic circuits. If you don't like Minecraft you must be boring or unimaginative. ; ] Also...try to get over the whole 'cube' thing as there would be no other way to achieve such an ambitious game-style. Truly revolutionary. Expand
  11. Jan 20, 2012
    Minecraft is... well interesting. While at first glance, graphics seem poor and gameplay stagnant, they say you are only limited by your imagination. While not entirely true, it does accomplish many things that may make it seem that way. First, the world is infinitely large for the most part and is "randomly" generated based on the seed for the world. This may very well the best thingMinecraft is... well interesting. While at first glance, graphics seem poor and gameplay stagnant, they say you are only limited by your imagination. While not entirely true, it does accomplish many things that may make it seem that way. First, the world is infinitely large for the most part and is "randomly" generated based on the seed for the world. This may very well the best thing about the game. The lack of boundaries and varied terrain give it a feel no other game has. Next, it has random caves, the nether, the end, the enderdragon, creatures (both good and evil), npc villages, a wire system, crafting, enchanting, etc. Many of these things serve their own purpose, but a few are noticeably a WIP, which I can NOT respect in a game that has been "released". Call me old fashioned, but I like games to be COMPLETED on release as it should be the final product. The first major drawback to me are the villagers. These human-like npcs are unresponsive and simply walk around, even if attacked. They serve NO purpose other than decoration for the villages. Next, the Nether is basically worthless. Go once and hope to find once of those premade dungeons to get the items you need. Leave and hope you never have to go back to that bland atmosphere. Finally, I really began to dislike the newest additions such as the Enderdragon, Enchanting, Villages, Strongholds, Ruins, Mineshafts, or basically anything premade in the world generator. It doesn't feel like the original Minecraft and they all lack any personality. While these drawbacks may seem severe, I find that the gameplay is excellent in most cases provided you learn how to use the wire system and are patient. My final downside for the game is actually related to its price. $28 USD for this is RIDICULOUS. I'm glad I bought it in beta during the wedding sale ($22 for 2 copies). The game isn't worth over $15. If it wasn't so highly priced, I would have given it a 9, but it isn't worth the cost. Expand
  12. Dec 27, 2011
    While it doesnt have the looks, the sheer creativity sandbox aspect is a very big selling point, if you ever liked lego bricks as a kid this game is for you, chuck in some mods that add new visuals and things to play with, play on a co-op multiplayer server with friends and you have best reserve a lot of your real life time for this. Simple and Fun, and runs even on the **** PC.
  13. Jun 9, 2011
    Ignoring the graphics, Minecraft isn't really a game, it's a drug, an amazing drug. I understand the reasoning of the low graphics as most computers won't be able to run the game at all if the graphics level were higher like higher resolution blocks, but most imperfections can be fixed with mods found in the forums, adding in more depth to the game like a high resolution mod or guns orIgnoring the graphics, Minecraft isn't really a game, it's a drug, an amazing drug. I understand the reasoning of the low graphics as most computers won't be able to run the game at all if the graphics level were higher like higher resolution blocks, but most imperfections can be fixed with mods found in the forums, adding in more depth to the game like a high resolution mod or guns or even a pink creeper.

The game is simple, build, mine, fight, yet the creator, Notch, keeps expanding on this Idea and keeps this game fresh with every update, considering that it's still in beta. Definitely worth the buy.

And a quote to the harsh reviewers (Most are giving low scores due to graphics)
    "If a pirated download is a loss sale, should negative reviews be illegal?"
    Markus Perrson, Mojang AB, Minecraft Developer
  14. Jul 27, 2011
    This game is the definition of the word time-waster, but it is so damned addicting that it makes you forget all about that. at first glance of the game it looks like a crappy Lego, game but actually playing it blows your mind. it's so unique and intriguing that it deserves a class of its own. I say if you have 20 dollars and 6 hours to kill give it a look.
  15. Nov 18, 2011
    Minecraft is an amazing game. It is a game where you can literally build anything. Mountain in your way? Remove it. Want one somewhere else? Build it. Want a small cottage or a giant mountain? Your choice. Want to replicate the White House or an entire city? If you have the time, it can be done. Hell, want to build a computer inside Minecraft to do basic math? Dedicate A LOT of time toMinecraft is an amazing game. It is a game where you can literally build anything. Mountain in your way? Remove it. Want one somewhere else? Build it. Want a small cottage or a giant mountain? Your choice. Want to replicate the White House or an entire city? If you have the time, it can be done. Hell, want to build a computer inside Minecraft to do basic math? Dedicate A LOT of time to redstone. It's been done, and you can do it too. Enchanting, potions, secret doors, farming, smelting, mining, pet wolves, this game has everything. Not only this, with multiplayer, you can do this all with friends. Go off and do your own thing, build cities together, trade with gold and diamonds, discover strongholds and villages together...it's fantastic. And I'm not done yet. Don't like the graphics? Apply an HD texture pack with everything from custom items and grass textures to different clouds. You can make this game look however you want. Although the game needs more bugfixes and is far from perfect, it's overall the first game where you can just about do anything. Get it. Now. Expand
  16. Nov 25, 2011
    i utterly love this game you explore build fight (play on hard if you want the most fun) the game its self is lacking but its still rather enjoyable needs a little polishing but its still the best game i have ever played a year after buying it i still play it just about every day for a good few hours. I know this might not be everys ones cup of tea you need to be some what creative to likei utterly love this game you explore build fight (play on hard if you want the most fun) the game its self is lacking but its still rather enjoyable needs a little polishing but its still the best game i have ever played a year after buying it i still play it just about every day for a good few hours. I know this might not be everys ones cup of tea you need to be some what creative to like it but after you play this for a good amount of time you will be changed for life i recommend it to every one to at least try using a freinds account, ect) if you like it you will totaly agree it will be worth the $30 and it will be the best dam $30 you ever spent. Expand
  17. Nov 26, 2011
    Minecraft is one of those games I've spent countless hours playing. I love to pieces, but it's still missing things. There's no tutorial or instructions in the actual game, you have to go to forums or wikis that weren't even made by Mojang to get the recipes for items. Multiplayer is certainly a high point, but disconnects and the process for setting a server can ruin it. That being said,Minecraft is one of those games I've spent countless hours playing. I love to pieces, but it's still missing things. There's no tutorial or instructions in the actual game, you have to go to forums or wikis that weren't even made by Mojang to get the recipes for items. Multiplayer is certainly a high point, but disconnects and the process for setting a server can ruin it. That being said, I loove survival and creative. Survival feels like my own personal little world, while creative is letting my imagination loose. The graphics are cute and suitable for this game, it really sets the mood. But I can understand some people's dislike for the graphics. There are a few bugs here and there but it doesn't really affect the overall experience. If you play this as a linear game, you won't like it. You have to make it your own to enjoy it, and that's the basics of Minecraft - building whatever you want. Expand
  18. Nov 26, 2011
    Minecraft have it's flaws.The total lack of a tutorial and a better guidance for the player certainly can put some gamers lost in the vast world before them. However, what we have here is the birth of a new game genre which inspired other game developers to create similar games (the most famous is Terraria). Despite the blocky and pixelated graphics (or better saying: Voxels) Minecraft isMinecraft have it's flaws.The total lack of a tutorial and a better guidance for the player certainly can put some gamers lost in the vast world before them. However, what we have here is the birth of a new game genre which inspired other game developers to create similar games (the most famous is Terraria). Despite the blocky and pixelated graphics (or better saying: Voxels) Minecraft is another proof you don't need a PS3 or DX11 graphics to make a game good and entertaining. Sure, sometimes you get lost and bored when you don't know what to do, but as long you have a goal to do in this game it'll never get boring. Be building (or reforming) a home, crafting new items, spelunking the caves searching for rare minerals, wandering in the vast world or just creating or recreating a mansion or whatever you want to do in the Creative Mode.

Also despite the blocky graphics, Minecraft CAN scare you. Specially when you're venturing in the mines. Nothing more scaring than digging for minerals in a mine when suddenly you hear a "sssss" right behind you before you're victim of a explosion (and dies) or when you turn around a dark corner just to see a big and furry spider lunging at your face.

In the end, Minecraft is a game for creative and intelligent gamers who can see what lies behind a world made of blocked and "ugly" grafics. In my most honest opinion, if this game don't deserves a 10. Then no other game deserves it.
  19. Feb 13, 2012
    One of those games that is good, but for largely intangible reasons. In truth, most of what minecraft promises to be is not lived up to, but the awesome sense of freedom and knowing that the world is randomly generated; that no one, not even the game's creator has seen the exact world that you're in before is a very appealing feeling. The ability to craft, create and build is theOne of those games that is good, but for largely intangible reasons. In truth, most of what minecraft promises to be is not lived up to, but the awesome sense of freedom and knowing that the world is randomly generated; that no one, not even the game's creator has seen the exact world that you're in before is a very appealing feeling. The ability to craft, create and build is the hallmark of the game, but there are still too many frustrations in the final build for me to recommend the game without some reservations. Definitely worth a look, just don't expect too much. Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2012
    Minecraft is certainly a special game but leaves a lot to be desired with all of the false blogs about upcoming features. While it is still lacking, however, the constant updates are nice and I do believe that there is a LOT more to come. *Note that this is my first review so pardon if I'm doing something wrong*

The bad: With a lack of a tutorial or even an in-game book that records what

The bad:
    With a lack of a tutorial or even an in-game book that records what you have crafted for later use, the game drops the player flat on his face and then forces you to learn how to actually use the game using online wikis and things of the sort. I've been hiding behind the fact that Minecraft was in beta and that everything will be polished out in the full release... WRONG. The game has a lot of nice aspects but fails to deliver things that would incorporate casual players into the mix. The game is severly lacking in the multiplayer section and uses a clunky server-ip system that I would have thought would be nicely fleshed out. Setting up a server for you and your friends is all-too much of a hassle to be considered a "good" experience. The only boss in the game is an "ender-dragon" which features more or less redundant A.I. The only thing that really tells you that it's a boss is it's absurdly high amount of health that's constantly regenerating due to these "towers." The boss isn't so much fun as it is just plain annoying. After I wasted that 15 minutes of my life, all I had to show for it was a boring screen of just text. I DID get a ****-load of experience, but what does that do IF THE BOSS IS ALREADY DEAD?

The good:
    The game aims to be an interactive sandbox and does a very good job of doing so. Players are put into an infinite, randomly-generated/ing world in survival mode and are forced to gather materials in order to survive. At night, or in any dark area, monsters appear. The player must build up defenses as he mines materials. These materials can be put together to create more elaborate items, or "crafted" items: hence the name "Mine"-"Craft". The game even features a basic form of circuitry called redstone that the player can manipulate with pistons and buttons to create the grandest of button-operated doors, monster traps, or whatever your heart desires. The idea of a monster being able to creep up on you at any given moment and scare you ****-less just adds to the suspense. The best thing about Minecraft, however, is that the experience is yours; you build what YOU want to build. The idea of spending time doing something that has an awesome outcome just invokes this sense of accomplishment in the player. The things that you build are constantly evolving in trivial little bursts at a time into something amazing that YOU built. Bottom line:
    While the game DOES have a lot of gameplay, the Mojang team is spending too much time expanding on content when the game SHOULD be working on the features it promised so long ago. The game still doesn't feel finished, but that's not to draw away from what is, in the end, an amazing experience.
  21. Nov 8, 2012
    Minecraft is an amazing game. Infinite, procedurally-generated terrain, that makes the game never ending and forever entertaining. It gives you the opportunity to build anything and everything, except circles. It has redstone that allows for circuitry to make amazing machines, survival version to make it challenging, and an almost infinite modding capability for those who figure it out.
  22. Jan 16, 2013
    Minecraft-PC review

Minecraft is a game that challenges your creativity! Minecraft has been around for a year and has developed so much since its release to the world, back when it was in
  23. Dec 4, 2011
    There is a zen tranquility to Minecraft that might not appeal to everyone, but this game offers a unique and engaging outlet for creative expression. If you still haven't tried Minecraft and you are actually reading through user reviews in order to make your final decision, just go for itâ
  24. Nov 23, 2011
    I have never had so much freedom in a game and Minecraft deserves its high praise because it is near limitless. The simple controls yet addicting gameplay makes Minecraft one of the best indie games out there. Want to build a house? Minecraft can do it. Want to build a castle? Why not? Minecraft can do it. This game is fun as hell and you will never get tired of it as long as Mojang bringsI have never had so much freedom in a game and Minecraft deserves its high praise because it is near limitless. The simple controls yet addicting gameplay makes Minecraft one of the best indie games out there. Want to build a house? Minecraft can do it. Want to build a castle? Why not? Minecraft can do it. This game is fun as hell and you will never get tired of it as long as Mojang brings out newly updates for more enjoyment. Buy it now. Expand
  25. Dec 11, 2012
    This is the best game ever made. I have played it for more than 3000 hours and i haven't even begun to get bored of it. You can do whatever you want! Who the hell doesn't like that?
  26. Jun 17, 2011
    Bad Graphics, Lame and Not worth my time when I have better games to be going on with are some of the comments I am usually associated with regarding this game. But Nieve people who believe this are sincerely misled, the graphics are what give this game it's unique retro feel and those of you out there who do not believe this do not give the game a chance which it very much deserves! TheBad Graphics, Lame and Not worth my time when I have better games to be going on with are some of the comments I am usually associated with regarding this game. But Nieve people who believe this are sincerely misled, the graphics are what give this game it's unique retro feel and those of you out there who do not believe this do not give the game a chance which it very much deserves! The general jist (if that's how you spell it) is to both Mine and Craft..Duh! You must mine the raw elements needed to advance in the game IE; Diamond, Iron and Coal. And then Craft tools out of these elements to use against fighting zombies, building houses and generally advancing through the game! Firstly you a spawned at a random spot in an infinitely random world which is always one of a kind. Your primary objective on the first day is to build a shelter and make pretty basic tools to copinside with the onslaught of various amazing mobs that are coming your way at dusk. The mobs consist of Creepers- Exploding Green Penis looking things. Skeletons- which shoot a lot of arrows at you from the darkness Zombies- Which are err...Zombies and Spiders- Which are spiders. Most of these can be seen while you are adventuring the countless caverns that are laid randomly underneath your world! So Overall An amazing game which offers countless hours of enjoyment without you even thinking about It.. A must buy! Expand
  27. Jul 17, 2011
    Pretty damn hard to say anything bad at all about this game. I love building things even on the classic servers where there's no survival. I find the regular survival Minecraft enticing as well. I enjoy building shelters and waiting out the night. Maybe I just like sandbox games in general.
  28. Oct 18, 2011
    Pure, unadulterated fun. If you have a creative mind for Minecraft, be prepared to spend a portion of your life on this game. And considering this game is still in the beta stage, I'm having a hard time trying to hold my breath for when this actually gets released.
  29. Nov 22, 2011
    Probably one of the best games ever created in the history of man..........................................................................................................

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. games(TM)
    Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]