7.4

1. Dec 6, 2011
    First I'd like to respond to people claiming I haven't played the game. I have (and continue) to spend 4+ hours a day in this game, and I've hosted a semi-popular for nearly 8 months now.

Now, minecraft is a revolutionary and fun game, and you will be amazed at how long you can keep on playing something as simple as this. If you get bored, you find a server with a different set of rules
    and plugins, and you get a completely new game in doing so. Minecraft has such great potential in so many ways, it's possible to make MMORPG-like servers, competetitive pvp servers, and everything in between.

The problem is, that mojang has decided to spend most of their time on other projects, and adding new features to minecraft. Why is this bad? Because they've released a non-working incredibly glitchy game, and yet they've decided to spend time on either making completely unrelated games, or making it more glitchy by adding more features.

Anybody who wants mojang to add more features is downright stupid, mojang will never be able to satisfy every persons need, it's an impossible task. The fact that so many kids want them to take on the task (and more incredibly that they have taken on the task) is just unbelievable considering the owner is supposedly a member of mensa.

Mojang have supplied us with the base, let the modders take over from here. The only feature they need to add now is some sort of clientside mod API, like spoutcraft but without the need for each player to install it. After this, fix bugs, make the game run as smooth as possible, but do not add anymore features.

FIXING BUGS > ADDING USELESS FEATURES
  2. Dec 20, 2011
    Minecraft is actually quite a fun experience for a while, a fairly short while and it is by no means a game. Notch struck it lucky with a great idea and an amazing response from the internet that has catapulted him into the realms of the super rich, I think this was probably the worst thing for minecraft, a good steady income would of resulted in much more work being done on the game over the last year or so instead it has seen little progress as like anyone would in the same situation Notch has been distracted by his new found wealth.It has been the tireless efforts of unpaid mod makers that have fleshed the game out into a much more enjoyable experience. Expand
  3. Nov 24, 2011
    nothing to see here just an over-rated game; it doesn't even come close to living up to the hype; definitely not worth the asking price. the game does run properly, but its all programmed in java, which sucks. its far from a masterpiece; its at best a temporary distraction; or a game to play if you have a computer from the stone age.
  4. Jul 3, 2012
    this game is intriguing but fall flat for several reasons. One of these being the limited customization of your character. Your are limited to 4 armor sets ARE YOU JOKING. and don't give me this bullcrap that they are indie producers if you can't produce DON'T MAKE YOUR GAME! The graphics and music do nothing for me. if I want to play a sandbox survival game I will play TERRARIA a much better game. The only thing this game is good at is it's replay ability witch rates very high for me. You will spend thousands of hours messing around with the crafting table and the various items you can create. Graphics: 4
    Sound: 5
    Game mechanics: 6
    Replay ability: 9
    Intelligence: 2 Bugs: 5
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    Minecraft has inspired many good even great games from the indie community, certainly including Terraria (which was actually a game). However, if we're going to judge this as a creative toy rather than a game, well there are many far-superior games which come with extremely powerful world-editors, unit-editors, etc. So why are you guys building a replica of the Enterprise instead of a great new WC3 or SC2 custom map, or new animations, characters, or UIs? Maybe you want to create flying dragons for Skyrim, or just new music? There're a ton of moddable games out there people want to play in, but not necessarily create for, and it's generally pretty simple to mod games, even when script editors are involved. Particularly for Blizz games (and I haven't touched SC2 modding due to Activision/Blizz rules, on top of their DRM), the modding tools are powerful enough to allow you to create whatever kind of game you want, faster, simpler, prettier, and just more fun than possible to do in modding MC. For music, use something like Fruitloops why limit yourself to the extremely simple, and unwieldy tools in Minecraft? To that extent, I just don't get it and as a game alone, Minecraft just doesn't have much content. If I thought there were going to be massive monthly updates like we see in games like Don't Starve, I'd stick around but Minecraft's just too barren this late in. It was all hype, and it showed a ton of promise (mostly because it was actually being developed), and then.... it pretty much stayed the same.

It's difficult to really score this, though. Objectively, especially. I mean even though the base game is more-or-less unsupported at this point, the modders are still going full-steam and dramatically increasing the usability, flexibility, and enjoy-ability of the game. It's just a bad game (which was very promising) without good tools to help the modders out. So... I give the base-game alone 2/10, but 4/10 considering the current mods.
  6. Aug 28, 2011
    Mineboring brings a game with a decent concept, The world where you start seems decent at the first impression, you can walk around an explore the world with your person, make your own house and start collect things to upgrade your tools or to make new structures.
    After you played a while this game gets bored, The game seems uglier then your first impression and there is nothing else to do
    then the same things that you already did for hours.... so you go play online...

When trying to play online and find a good server this game is lacking, It has no serverlist except on the forums, this is not good since many kids play this game, and want to play it online, it is really hard to find a good server that is working properly.

Overall a decent Game but gets bored after a time, online play is way more fun but hard to find a good server.
  7. Apr 18, 2012
    Was EXTREMELY FUN at first, but the updates are terrible. They said they would make combat better, they didn't. They said they would make it more "adventurous" with an "adventure update", they didn't. What they did was make small village things with these creatures that do nothing, and I mean NOTHING. I wasn't too bugged by this though. The hunger is just an annoyance. Then they added cats, which really pissed me off, not because I was mad about them adding cats, but because instead of fixing many of the GAME BREAKING BUGS (I'm serious, the game lags more than Skyrim) they added CATS. Also the golems, they also do nothing, there aren't any zombie attacks or anything to defend against. The game WAS great, best game I ever played, but that was before the useless updates and laziness of staff.

TL;DR: Was a great game, ruined by pointless updates and game-breaking bugs.
  8. Dec 26, 2011
    What is this graphics in 2011? This is awful! I thought this game is very good. This was a big disappoint. This is a BAD game. Don't pay for it! This game has lots of bugs. BAD GAME
  9. Mar 7, 2012
    Please, if you are writing a review after playing after only one day, please don't. I would give this game a 10/10 after the first day, but after a couple of days you WILL get bored, unless you're autistic. After building a couple of houses, a couple of underwater houses, a few castles, and other complex structures (not the houses, those aren't complex) you run out of things to do. Sure, you can go to the end, but the end is actually not everything it was supposed to be. It is a four at best, and I'm being generous. Expand
  10. Nov 25, 2011
    If you like sandbox games with no plot, storyline, or point, you will love Minecraft. If you want any of the above, skip Minecraft entirely. I played the game every night for a month or two, but eventually realized that I found it utterly pointless. Sure, I could built a giant block castle, but why? Sure, I could stockpile tons of wheat or iron or diamonds, but again, why? Once you've built a bed and shelter from the monsters at night, nothing you do has any lasting importance or urgency. Sure, you need to farm or hunt for food, but any half-decent farm will develop enough food in a week or so of ingame play to last months. Sure, you can build elaborate traps for the monsters, but there is no need, as all you have to do is sleep and they become irrelevant.

Minecraft is a fancy lego set. If lego turns your crank, have at it. If it doesn't, pass this by.
  11. Nov 27, 2011
    Maybe you're looking for a game and you've heard of minecraft. You might be thinking right now, "oh yeah, I heard it's alot of fun, a 95 on metacritic, AND all my friends have it!" The reality is, it's just not a fun game. I mean, yes, it is fun for the first time where you're wondering around trying to survive on what resources you can get - but after a couple hours you will stop and thinking to yourself, "WHY am I DOING this?" there is no purpose but to run around and dig all day. watch out, though, for there are npc's that will attack you! No worries though, for the combat is flawed and not fun, and you can easily get away by digging a hole in the ground. There are no tutorials - so you'll be spending your time watching YT videos of how other people do it - which is okay, no big deal, but that will spoil the fun for you and it will ruin the critical moment of the game. "What about the multiplayer? The mods?", you might be saying. While the mods might be fun and add SOME re playability, there isn't much too it, that goes for the multiplayer, also, because really what else could you do with the multiplayer? Oh - that's right, dig & survive. This game is fun for a couple hours but it is not worth $20 - or however much it is worth now. You will be severely disappointed. Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2011
    I had been playing Minecraft since early beta, and upon first playing the game, I thought it was brilliant. The quirky style, the ability to do whatever you wanted, in a random, often beautifully formed world. The mobs were scary and the game was always a laugh with friends, and it was an exclusive thing we shared. However, as of the 1.8 Adventure Update, I've felt the game has been somewhat ruined by the new, rpg style elements they've tried to implement. The Endermen seem forced, and don't seem to click in with the game's atmosphere, or the previous four mobs, at least in my opinion, and the same with the new Silverfish. I thought the hunger bar was clumsy and unnecessary, as is the levelling and enchanting system. For me this has let the game down and left it in a bit of a mess, unsure of what kind of game it wants to be. Also, many people (including myself) have found the novelty to wear off not long after purchase, so be warned, and try and play with friends on a server if you can, and remember what you see is exactly what you get with this game. Expand
  13. Dec 11, 2011
    Minecraft is a nice gimmicky game that will provide you something to do for a few hours. Any more is questionable. The main idea is building anything you want out of the blocks that create the massive random generated world you are on. The biggest flaw of this concept is building anything you want is limited by just how creative you are. A natural artist could spend months building complicated designs, but for most people, they will only build simple things. The problem is the eventual lack of direction for most people. Survival mode starts the player in the middle of nowhere, having to rush building a shelter for the night before zombies come and eat you. It sound exciting and it is exciting on the first night, but once you figure out how to build a proper shelter, enemies become irrelevant. The player then may decide to dig to as far down as they go, and find the rare diamond. Yet again this is exciting the first time you do it, but becomes completely boring any other time. Exploring also may be fun at first, but becomes pointless shortly after. Currently minecraft is $26.95, which is an absurd price for the game. Most people will struggle to finding things to do after 5 to 10 hours of gameplay. Even if you are the creative type that spends countless hours painting or just building, that hefty of a price tag is not worth it. Unless the game price is lowered or on sale to something more reasonable like $10 would I buy this game. Don't waste your time otherwise. Expand
  14. Dec 21, 2011
    Can the people who JUST bought this game please stop making reviews for it.
    You give it a 10 and in a week or less you're gonna find you'reself playing a better game like starcraft 2 or skyrim. It's not bad, but its not worth paying for at all, you're paying for mods and lego.
    Dwarf fortess.....
  15. Feb 12, 2012
    I have to be honest here. I loved Minecraft. Emphasis on the past tense there. Minecraft has a great concept and all, and I spent hours and hours of my time playing it. But the game just gets so boring after a while... I found myself running out of things to do quickly. Maybe if there was more content in the game, like in Terraria. Now, Terraria is a GREAT game. It may be in 2-D, but it doesn't have to be in 3-D to be good like most people think. Terraria is so good because of the limitless amount of content in the game. There are so many things to do I can't even list them all. Countless enemies, so many upgrades to tools and armor, several bosses, everything. If Minecraft were anything like Terraria, the game would be the most sold game in the universe. Expand
  16. Feb 25, 2012
    SHUT UP ABOUT GRAPHICS. the game is supposed to be that way. my problem is that game is great untill u build a house so now what? the game needs objectives, something to do. it was well thought out at first but quickly fell. i find the game fun when you play others and then skype them but thats just me.
  17. Mar 10, 2012
    This game has a good premise and literally nothing else. The game looks ugly (not "retro"), the combat is shallow, most items are either too easily obtained or just plain pointless (for example rare food types do nothing for you that common foods do not) and the randomly generated nature of the game means that while occasionally you'll stumble upon something kind of cool that might take you a fair while. As far as building stuff goes a lack of intelligent opposition and the general low difficulty level makes it pointless while building for its own sake is boring due to the simple nature of the game's engine.

A novelty that became a short lived cultural phenomenon. Avoid.
  18. Mar 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft is a game that puzzles me. It is built in java, which fans seem to praise, but in actuality is either very lazy, very stupid, or both. Java is not supposed to operate a game of this magnitude,and the only reason I can see for it is that Notch didn't want to step out of the comfort zone of his high school language of choice. It's the reason the code is so buggy, and the game freezes and lags on the best machines around. But on to the game. I understand the graphics were supposed to be stylistic and retro, and it works to a degree, so I won't complain too much there. It's gameplay that the game lacks. You start with nothing, and have to build a universe, which is cool, except that you have to actually build it. Instead of a shop or something where you bring wood, stone, string, or whatever, your 3x3 grid becomes your personal hell. Arrange the right things with one object a space off, and the crafting doesn't work. sometimes the supplies don't make sense at all, and you end up asking a friend how to make something. The game forces you to use the wiki eventually. It's impossible not to, because of objects being reliant on pinpoint accuracy. Who would guess that a box of stone with the center piece missing is a forge? You better, or the game won't work, because you need a forge to get metals. Good luck without them. Quickly, you stop exploring the world and figuring things out, and begin minimizing the game and checking the wiki every 10 minutes. After that, the game is only fun for a few days. So to recap: Java isn't for games like this, even a $1000 computer still freezes occasionally, and the game requires knowledge that you cannot gain inside the game. Expand
  19. Mar 25, 2012
    This game showed tremendous promise, at least in the early stages. However, I feel as if the developers added unnecessary things and were very slow to fix bugs. The novelties begin to fade, and the game becomes boring. The game is also overpriced for the experience it delivers. If Notch made the game around $10, it would be a better deal. The difference between the full release and the Beta is nonexistent. The only real fun you can have is when you create a server to play with friends. But that requires too much work, and the game, at least right now, is NOT worth it. Expand
  20. Apr 24, 2012
    Minecraft should be for free if you ask me. There was a website called minecraft for free whith you could play minecraft for free but however Notch ha to shut it down. God Notch now i'm glad I never ever buy minecraft. Minecraft is no fun and is so boring. Minecraft 4.2/10
  21. May 15, 2012
    A mediocre sandbox game with alot of potential that it never tried to live up to.
    The game lacks content instead giving you a bland sandbox to play in with nothing to do in the long term except play with lego blocks and find diamond.
  22. May 15, 2012
    Minecraft had a lot of potential. I have been checking up with Minecraft since its alpha stages, back when the only player modes were some weird survival and creative, and zombies dropped feathers. People like to root for the underdog, and I understand. So, of course, people root for Notch. But if you separate yourself from the emotions and the novelty, you realize that Minecraft is vastly unfinished upon release. Promises made by Notch, for example, included various game modes like capture the flag, and a fully-functioning NPC village, among others I won't even bother listing. Yes, I play this game. I do like it to some degree, which is why I'm giving it a 4 out of 10. But the reality is that, when you compare it to everything on the market, nay, just compare it to other indie games, and you realize just how hard Notch dropped the ball on this one. The graphics are atrocious, and the term "retro graphics" don't justify it. Chrono Trigger is "retro" and still a beautiful game, so calling something retro to justify it being plain and ugly is awful. The music is serene, but nice. The combat is unvaried and unfortunately dull when it comes to the majority of the game, but the brewing/potion system and enchanting added a little to the game. Shame your only two real weapons are swords and bows.

The strength in Minecraft's programming comes from Jeb and, guess what, people other than Team Mojang. It's the mods and add-ons that aren't from Team Mojang that make this game actually fun and entertaining, and people tend to forget that. If you mod the heck out of it, great, fantastic, good game. But stand-alone it's an incredibly monotonous, uninspired simulator.
  23. Oct 27, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. I mostly play games single player though, and I feel that the single player experience is Minecraft's biggest weakness. Exploring is fun at first, as is mining minerals and getting better gear, but this quickly becomes repetitive because there is not as much to find. Building grand structures and complex mechanisms (the highlight of the game) is not much fun in a world where you are the only one to appreciate it. Combat is another big weakness. There are essentially only two ways to attack enemies: melee attacks and bows. All weapons in the game have the same "attacks" so combat is the same formula throughout the game, you just don't have many options. This all might have been tolerable if the game had a pleasant atmosphere, but with graphics that I personally don't think look good, and a lack of good music, the game is not fun to spend time in. If it had better physics, more combat options (like magic), and more "progression" the game would be fun for single player, but as it is now it's really just a sandbox building game with some survival, exploration, and combat elements tacked on. Expand
  24. Jan 20, 2013
    Over hyped and designed carelessly, Minecraft may be an icon to the indie gaming industry, but it is not gaming perfection by any means.

Part sandbox game. Part strategy. Part... clicking over and over until your mouse button is worn and your finger hurts. As more Minecraft clones appear, to bank in on the game's success, we see copy-cat developers actually better certain aspects of the
    game in their own redesigns. Even now, the developers behind Minecraft seem to be blindly throwing in new ideas hoping to improve the game by adding to the pile of so-so concepts.

Minecraft certainly wasn't the first block-building indie game, and still not the best. But its combination of monsters, mining, and crafting seems to have hooked a hit with the gaming crowd, in a burst of luck and overexposure through social media. Minecraft has its moments of fun, but is a complete bore without multiplayer interaction. The construction system is reasonably lack-luster and the mining system very much feels like a mind-rotting chore than a fun gaming experience. The crafting system redeems the game, barely holding game play together.

The visuals, though cute, also feel too basic. Is the pixel style an intentional design, or just a half-baked cover up for cheap 3D graphics?

Its too expensive for what it is, and as a sandbox game is reasonably lackluster. Exploration and crafting seem to be the best aspects of Minecraft. Everything in between is a fragile experience.
  25. Feb 14, 2013
    minecraft is a fun game to dip into a few times but it lacks the depth of other games for example after 30 minutes of exploring you realise that there is not much to it and i guess after that it just becomes boring
  26. Jan 26, 2014
    The game started out fine, don't get me wrong. But as it updated more and more and more, it became clear that this game is just a cash cow. There is nearly no actual new content in these updates and it's pretty horrible, really. The only good thing about this game is the building aspect. To say that Terraria is a shameless Minecraft ripoff is an insult to humanity.

This is without a
    doubt the most overrated game of all time and if you want an actually, you know, FUN game, check out Terraria. It's cheaper and still better in pretty much every aspect, except that it's 2D except of 3D but that isn't necessarily bad. Expand
  27. May 27, 2014
    Possibly the most overrated game of all time, it has nothing new ever, it has boring gameplay, stupid AI (even for a game that kids can play) and the same thing that is the opposite of fun Mining and Creating, it is the same all the time, if you want to draw create or whatever just draw with pencil and paper instead of £17 of boredom, also GMod is way better than this, if you think this has lots to do, it hasn't compared to GMod (Garry's Mod) Expand
  28. Jul 31, 2013
    When I first started playing Minecraft back in the Beta, I didn't like it. I didn't understand what you had to do first, and I wasn't impressed at all by the gameplay. After a while, when I learned the game, I started to like it more. I knew how to survive the first night, and how to craft things. I really got into the game and I was addicted to it. But after some years I got bored by it. I installed many mods because the alpha was just too boring with lack of content. Because of all the updates Minecraft got, I just didn't saw much improvement and most of the popular mods didn't got updated anymore. Also installing them became harder. I gave up on Minecraft, just because it's lack of weapons and armor, unoriginal enemys besides the creeper... It's boring. If Mojang just could add many things from the popular mods, it would be so much better. Expand
  29. Jul 31, 2013
    I hate how biased critics are now. They give everything a good review. And this is one circumstance where it deserves nothing. This is probably the most overrated game of all time. It's boring and every person who thinks it's good has either no taste or is under the age of 13. I don't care if the graphics are bad, that's a dumb thing to care about in a game, but Minecraft is so boring and repetitive, I can't even play it for more than 10 minutes without being bored. There really is no point to playing the game. It's weird. A game without a purpose for playing. Notch got lucky with this game. If he put it out 10 years ago it would have gone nowhere. It's overrated and not worth anyone's money. Expand
  30. Aug 27, 2013
    The game is HIGHLY overrated. The gameplay is repetitive and not very exciting. The concept of endless building is great, but you can also have the same amount of fun by playing with Legos. Minecraft is loosing respect fast by older fans, and the developers should do something to win them back.
  31. Feb 22, 2014
    Ah, good old Minecraft... I honestly don't know where to start with this one. Discussing Minecraft in a negative manner is extremely dangerous thanks to the amount of drooling drones that will defend this game to their last breath. Hmm... Well, let's break this review up into multiple categories.

1. Graphics
    This is a very subjective and sensitive topic to elaborate on. It all comes
    down to your personal opinion. Some people like Minecraft's 'retro' graphical style, and some people say it's disgusting. But games aren't all about the graphics, right? Well, maybe for some people... Don't worry though, the vast modding community surrounding the game has come up with many fantastic texture mods to suit your needs. Hell, you can even make a texture mod yourself if you wanted to. Personally, I think the original textures look bland and boring, but I digress...

2. Sound
    The sound design for Minecraft is nothing short of a masterpiece. Whether smashing a block, or listening to the game's soundtrack, you'll instantly be satisfied. I haven't found one person that doesn't like Minecraft's vast soundtrack. It has a calm and soothing tone to it. Sometimes you'll hear creepy cave wind sounds when mining, or hear running water when near a stream. It's definitely one of the better things about Minecraft. There are many different sounds modifications as well.

3. Gameplay
    Minecraft's simplistic nature is what makes it so easy to pick up and play. Well, when you learn the different crafting recipes of course. But this fact is also it's greatest downfall... After you've conquered every dungeon and cave, found every mineral and treasure, and built your own little town, there's not much left to do. The game has no plot or purpose, it's just kind of there for you to paint your own world on the canvas of your own choosing. I'm simply saying after doing this same process over and over, it starts to grow on you. It becomes less and less exciting for every diamond or rare goodie you find. Don't worry though, there's tons of mods to keep you interested, right? Eh, most of the mods are focused on making the game even easier than it already is so... it's a mixed bag. It all comes back to your own opinion.

4. Community
    This goes without saying... Minecraft's community is horrible. Lemme give you some insight on what kinds of 'people' I've come across.

A. Extremely immature children that think they know everything and anything about the world.
    B. Teenagers that have no life outside of coming home from school and sitting on their computer.
    C. Adults in their 30s and 40s that haven't quite grown up yet.
    D.(EXTREMELY RARE) All around good people that respect fellow players and the game itself.

So yeah, another mixed bag... Eh, this topic is pretty pointless. It'll only serve to get more mindless drones to thumb down this review because they can't accept the truth.

Conclusion...
    All in all, this game is not horrendously bad... It has it's flaws, but let's be honest... The only thing that has kept this game afloat in recent years is the vast modding community that adds new content regularly. The original developers, Mojang, have become greedy and lazy, and are just letting the community do their work for them. The only thing they seem to add to the game are more bugs and glitches. I am appalled at the childish behavior by the main developers on social media sites... But the matter of the fact is, money changes people. It makes them evil. That's a fact we can all agree on...

Thanks for reading guys. I appreciate you taking time out of your day for my review. To all the mindless drones, go ahead and thumb this down into oblivion. I really don't care.

-Starkiller94
  32. Jan 25, 2014
    I loved Minecraft 2009-2011, but then the community peed on me. On me and a lot of other players. It got demolished by these "youtube stars". Stars, but about to go supernova. Please, stop, its disgusting. About the game, it was fine until you play a lot of it, not its so horrible. Best was around 1.8, then it was ****
  33. Feb 16, 2014
    A once fantastic game, Minecraft over the time has hit a sudden decline every since certain things were added, removed, and changed. Some for the better, and for the worst. Some like it, others do not but I'm in the middle, a decline from when I first played it---which was a 9.
  34. Jun 27, 2014
    I have very mixed opinons about this game. when I first got it, I got sucked into server play. then I tried the singleplayer and I got thru 1 hour before falling asleep. this game has amazing multiplayer because of servers and stuff but I never play splayer. and I got bored of the game . after a few months. now I only play it because of mods but that doesn't count as the real game. if you don't have minecraft then I'm fine with that and I only recommend it for the mods and the multiplayer servers. also if you want a fresh take on a mining game (that is not nearly a rip-off of minecraft) you should try terraria if you can enjoy a 2D game. oh yeah, also minecraft only has 2 bosses which gets really old quick. mojang please add more to this game to make it be worth 28$. or just lower the price. Expand
  35. Jul 14, 2014
    **New Review**

Okay hmm, where to start. Well, minecraft is a fun, openworld game with lots of possibilities. Server developers and modders seem to do more work than the actual game developers. The AI is laughable, because modders can make massive, scaly dragons or gigantic pumped zombies. The supposed 'creator' of this game spends more time on vacation than he works. I myself own a MC
    annual 2014, and the mojang people have a pinball machine which they spend more time on. They think themselves cool but really their not. Minecraft is a amazing game, which has skyrocketed in sales. But "Notch" promised things he couldn't deliver, such as a CTF. After the game was released, he basically dumped the game on Jens (or Jeb). The only reason I play this game is because of the mods and servers people make. Minecraft Singleplayer gets incredibly boring. While minecraft mod makers can produce a mod in two days, BAM you have massive dragons, fire breathing trolls, a brand new varirety of weapons, food, tools, ores and even a portal gun! But the developers keep us every time we log onto minecraft staring at that same screen, the same screen all the time. The only ever updates they produce are bug fixes. They promise a amazing "1.8" but they just keep adding and adding and most people won't be able to support their game. Surprisingly, you need a pretty good computer to run the good parts of minecraft, such as Amplified, servers and a Custom World. If you want to have a bit of fun, then I would defiantly recommend this game. But for the hardcore gamer, this isn't for you. Expand
  36. Dec 15, 2011
    Lets see. This game ripoffs Infiniminer. The devs are obviously lazy and greedy. Not only it looks like **** but it also runs so, i get more FPS in Skyrim than here. Its also overhyped, overrated and overpriced. Hardly worth even a neutral rating.
  37. Nov 30, 2011
    A fine little gem of a sandbox marred by apathetic developers, primitive and thereby buggy coding and an unreasonable amount of praise for what is really just a simplistic open-world sandbox. While that might be a rarity nowadays, it doesn't constitute an amazing game or gameplay; it merely allows for a potentially huge investment.
  38. Nov 25, 2011
    At it's core a strong game, but lacking too many promised features and functions to be considered a complete game. Minecraft lowers the bar for design, graphics, expectations for a finished title (no server browser?), and only functions well when mods are implemented. Buying this one-hit wonder from Notch is only increasing the length he'll inevitably fall, since he isn't an experienced enough dev to either refine / fix this game by himself or create another fun one. Expand
  39. Nov 26, 2011
    This score of 4/10 refers to Minecraft 1.0, a full-release, retail game selling for something shy of $30 as of this moment. If I were reviewing the alpha or the beta, it would be closer to a 8 or a 9 out of 10. But this is a "complete" game we're talking about, selling for a retail price. And unfortunately, it is not quite worth that price.

Minecraft is a sandbox/adventure game, heavy on
    the sandbox, with retro-style graphics that grow on the player after a short while. The sandbox -- eventually a block-building game, with a limited number of contraptions and mechanics that can be constructed -- will provide hours of fun. The adventure aspect is half-baked and incomplete, and, as of right now, more or less pointless.

Alpha and beta had much promise, the former being of truly excellent value (guaranteeing access to all future updates). I can't even begin to count how many hours I spent playing the alpha and beta versions of this game. A truly fun, creative, excellent experience. There is no doubt that Minecraft has in some ways revolutionized gaming, and there is no doubt that many people will derive hours upon hours of enjoyment from it.

But it should not have been released as it is right now. The developers have referred to this release as a "milestone" rather than an actual point of completion; but, if that's the case, then they should not have released it as a retail game, effectively doubling the price. Some problems include: many in-game items that have no use or that are redundant; virtually non-existent AI (definitely no pathfinding); loads of bugs; overly-wrought world generation code that has gone from producing fantastical, vibrant worlds to dull, unimaginative ones; various in-game objects that are mere "placeholders" and have no real point, as of yet; a botched "end-game" experience hastily added weeks before release; a limited number of materials (coal, iron, gold, diamond, and redstone are still the only truly functional ores that can be mined); and a lot of unfulfilled plans and broken promises.

When alpha was around $10, buying the game was no-brainer; I have logged so many hours that it's absolutely worth it. The "full" version for $30? I'm not so sure. Do not buy unless you are absolutely certain that this kind of game is for you (and it may very well be).
  40. Nov 26, 2011
    A lot of unfulfilled promises, and an underwhelming final version. Useless NPC villages, abysmal AI and a stupid tacked on ending. A huge amount of issues that I'm not going to list here. Giving it a 3 because I had a lot of fun with friends on a multiplayer server, even though it was heavily modded
  41. Nov 27, 2011
    In no way the finished game. How can this be out of beta? The graphics are horrendous, the combat is boring, with enemies that have no attack animation whatsoever, making blocking their attacks extremely hard or impossible.
  42. Dec 25, 2011
    This game started off like other indies. Cheap Price, Cheap Game. High ratings go to people not realizing their ridiculous waist of money, almost 30$ for this bug ridden game. It's using popularity to their advantage and overcharging. Its not a bad game, but bugs, awful AI, awful graphics ruin it. Singleplayer is boring out of words, multiplayer is virtually impossible to create a server, and when you join one you're restricted to areas or have to sign up at some stupid forum. Mods are the only cure to this game. One mod alone, in my opinion, doubles the fun of the game. The modders put more effort into this game than Mojang. And with their massive profits they haven't even fixed very old bugs. Expand
  43. Dec 20, 2011
    Having played this game from early beta I can safely say I got my money's worth. This is only true due to the modding community which the developer has refused to support by releasing a mod API( which would allow modding without editing core game files). The unmodded game is very bland. While it contains enemies and NPCs the AI of both are extremely lacking( with NPCs being completely uninteractible, even ignoring the player as they are being beaten to death and enemies moving in a straight line towards the player, being trapped by any pillar too high to jump over due to no pathfinding). The 'release' version of the game carries over many bugs that have existed throughout beta as well as bugs that accumulated near the end of beta when certain user-made mods were implemented into the core game(with less functionality).
    Overall it is an unfinished game by any standard. Anyone giving this game a green score is either doing it to spite others or are considering the work of the modding community in their score.
    to anyone who thinks it is correct to give this game a higher rating because of all the fun you had with the Yogbox mods, ect. remember that this is a review of the actual game, that actually has no support for any mods despite promises from the developer
  44. Dec 30, 2011
    MineCraft was the best game I've played when I first bought it when beta first released, but it's gotten really boring. I remember I'd play the game non-stop and then updates began to come slowly and the updates added something maybe cool, but managed to bug and ruin something else or didn't really do anything at all (I mean an update like 1.5 to 1.6 not 1.7.0 to 1.7.1). As a ton of people have said, setting up a multiplayer server is terrible. Mojang, the creators of the game, throw the server software at you with little to no instructions. Sure they maybe some tutorials on YouTube and it may be very helpful but sometimes it just confuses you to the point of frustration. In summary, fun game for quite sometime but eventually will get boring and multiplayer is very weirdly setup. The game, all in all, didn't feel worth the 20 bucks I paid. Expand
  45. Jan 5, 2012
    This game is severely overrated. The creator now hardly updates it at all, and there isn't really that much to do. People say that you need to explore or build if you don't have anything to do but that's boring... I don't want to spend 3 hours building some stupid castle that won't be worth anything when I could enjoy that 3 hours on another game
  46. Feb 4, 2012
    When I first played Minecraft, it was one of the best experiences I had in my life. But as the months dragged on, I found myself doing the same thing over and over again. People always say that the real fun is on multiplayer servers, yet the only thing I see are people running around in full diamond killing others as they spawn. Another thing that definitely brought the game to its low point was the complete lack of updates. From alpha to full release, only two hostile monsters were added (Enderman and Enderdragon). Notch killed the entire reputation of Minecraft by moving onto Scrolls with so many unfulfilled promises he made. The one that sticks out the most is the AI in NPCs; there is no dialogue whatsoever, no shops that you trade at, no quests, and they don't react to anything that's done to them at all. There are so many illogical things in the game to; if you eat zombie flesh, poisoning is supposed to cause harm to you, yet if you eat enough to bring your hunger bar to max, you'll be healed. The overall thing though is that the game doesn't last very long and new things such as mobs are very sparse. Collapse
  47. Apr 30, 2012
    I'll admit, Minecraft is a great game, but it has many flaws. I remember when it was in 1.7.3, it was one of the largest updates to happen to the game, and it was great. That was when I got the game. I was addicted and really enjoyed playing it, but then it just lost it's appeal. Then came other weird and annoying gameplay things, such as hunger, or experience. It's frustrating to lose many levels from being killed, and the hunger meter depletes too fast, and always seems to go empty when I have no food on me. Another thing, when they said Minecraft was going to be finished in 1.0.0, I was SO excited. No more updates! No more waiting for mods that could barely keep up! I could get all the mods I wanted, and not have to worry about updates! Of course, that wasn't true, was it Notch? He began updating again. What the ****. He just couldn't stop updating the game! And these came faster and faster, 1 every week or two! It was insane! Most modders didn't even bother to try and update their mods, because the new updates were pouring out so fast. Not only that, but it started out extremely cheap, then got to about $14 to $15 by beta 1.7.3, and now, after the "finished game" was released, it's around $20+ dollars! I like the game every once in a while, but after playing for a while, it's really boring and it seems to be the same process every world you make. Expand
  48. Aug 29, 2012
    I honestly think this game is grossly overrated. It's just an aimless Sandbox, and unless you look up a guide or have friends helping you, you've got no way of knowing what to do. And it's pretty costly, at around $30, you can get Terraria, basically a 2D version of this game on Steam for about 10 dollars.
  49. Oct 18, 2012
    Who the heck releases a game in it's unfinished state which such hype behind it. I'm not talking about the alpha and beta releases(all of which i played), i'm talking about the 1.0 version of the game.
  50. Nov 1, 2013
    This is the most overrated game I have ever played. It quickly got boring after a while. I swear, this is not where creation games should go. And the fanbase of this game is worse than the fanbase of CoD hating on every person who gives even the smallest disliking to this game. And worst of all, the terrible YouTube channels like SkyDoesMinecraft make this game worse.
  51. Jan 5, 2014
    Minecraft is an unoriginal game that made millions. I mean, what game have you NOT seen that evolves placing blocks? The combat is broken, with you having no hands, no polished feel to it (all you do is spam the left click button), and the AI for enemy's is retarded. All they do is walk up to you and do damage with no animation, and if you place a block in front of them, they just stay there stuck. Another thing bad about Minecraft is that if you want to host a server, YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD A SEPARATE PROGRAM. You have to download the java server file, and drag and drop and make folders... IT'S SO HARD TO MAKE A SERVER! Why didn't Notch the fat man just put the server maker in the game? Also, with the Minecraft multiplayer, ALL Triple A servers BEG YOU to pay VIP which can cost to about $20-$50.
    With VIP, you gain an overpowered advantage to player who play free, by getting overpowered weapons, overpowared armor, that stuff. BUT. If you are VIP, you are allowed to KICK somebody OFF the server so you can join! Fat pigs.
  52. Aug 13, 2014
    This "game" is way too overrated for what it really is. First of all, the price for the PC version is ridiculous - for the same amount of money, you can get a big hit game with a lot more content, better quality and better support.

Even though the price seemed too much, I wanted to give it a try. After all, I've played for quite some time the mobile versions of the game (Android and
    iOS), which were enjoyable - but priced more accordingly. I've bought the game from their online store, paid using PayPal but never got the game.

It turns out, their customer service is terrible. It took them more than a week to reply to my support request - and when they did, I got a blunt reply back. This is not the way to treat a customer.

Yes, Minecraft is a unique game - and it has a lot of potential, but unfortunately the people behind it seem to be more focused on the profits right now than on the quality.

I've only managed to play the demo version on PC which seems quite average. The graphics are nice at first, but they become annoying after a while - luckily there are plenty of mods to fix this. The performance is average - games with better graphics run a lot better on the same machine.

Despite having a very large modding community, it does not have an open API. Considering the plans for expanding into a MMO style setup (Minecraft Realms), I'm wondering what's the future of modding in a setup like this.

Conclusion: Until they decide to improve the quality of the game, to implement a better customer support system (and fix their payment service), I really cannot recommend this game, unless you're looking for trouble.
  53. Aug 19, 2014
    The game was fun at first.Now it turned into a map making tool.They dont even listen to their fans.Almost all servers are p2w.On pvp servers if you kill someone you get called out hacks and the person starts raging.There havent been any "fun" uptades for a while just snapshots.
  54. Nov 21, 2011
    Sorry dont see whats the hypes about. tried it for a few days but could not get passed the dos graphics. Play Skyrim instead. you can also explore, mine, etc etc.....what is that i hear - it wont run on your pc oh shame....
  55. Jan 24, 2012
    I must say, I gave up on the game after the wolf patch came out. And looking through the version history, the updates are freaking USELESS. So few bug fixes, mods still break the game half the time, STILL no good new content. All I see now is new textures and a few new mobs. The modders have made minecraft into a great game and yet Mojang don't take advantage of that. As it is now, the game itself is 4 hour, mediocre, half broken game, not worth your money. With mods, it would be a 75, but without, it's a 2. Mojang and Notch need to wake the **** up. The game is apparently released, yet it still is, in all honesty, a beta, if not an alpha version. Expand
  56. Nov 25, 2011
    **** graphics
    i honestly do not get the point of this game
    you run around and create a world but honestly who is willing to waste their precious time trying to create a fake virtual world
    only good thing is you can go online and show off but even still who is that bored and lonely that they have to make a world of their own and cannot live in the real world.
    there are also too many
    creepers at night time. Expand
  57. Nov 24, 2011
    Not delivering seems to be mantra of Mojang, as Minecraft, now in final release, delivers nothing from the better priced (and less expensive) beta-release but at a higher price.

The game, if you can call it that, relies on the user to make their own fun that, while interesting for the first few hours, will quickly become boring and tedious. This can be sometimes overcome with new
    content supplied by it's large user-base and their custom mods (many of which were designed to fix problems within the game or with it's lack of actual content).

However, if you don't feel like taking your time and finding new mods to try and extend the game's playtime, many of these mods will find their way into actual Mojang official updates.

This product, for better or worse, is more of a "LEGOS on computers" than a sandbox-style RPG but you might have more fun with the limitations of the LEGOS than then the "here is the world, you figure out what to do" style of Minecraft.
  58. Nov 25, 2011
    While I found the game fun and intriguing at first, I was playing the game for about 10 dollars and even then it was in a beta state. The game was told to fix several problems and add several new features to keep it fun. While like any sandbox game, it gets boring after time, it gets even more boring when you notice how unpolished the final game is. Several unfinished qualities that were supposed to be finished, terrible coding, and an 'end game' that makes no sense in minecraft. I would suggest playing this game on the site for free, spending 30 dollars on a game that is unfinished is unacceptable. Expand
  59. Nov 25, 2011
    Minecraft. I voxel based block building game that shot to popularity thanks to many gaming sites. When I first found it, it was still in alpha and very few people were playing it. I had fun building it an I eventually bought it for the singleplayer. When I first bought it I became very addicted to the singleplayer but after I week, I had a huge mine, tons of supplies...and for what? I was the only person I this land with some monsters that attack you every so often. After this I just stopped playing SP because I grew so tired of just building without a purpose. Then Minecrafts popularity shot up. All my friends bought it and I created a multiplayer server. After about two weeks of building a huge town with my friends I grew bored once again. By this time Minecraft was huge, Notch was rich, and everyone was playing this game. Notch created his own company and started hiring people. This is where it goes downhill. Mojang became very lazy and started releasing updates every blue moon. These updates generally did not add that much, and most of the major content they released through updates were already stuff done a lot better by modders. They rarely fixed major bugs that have been in the game for a while and every update added more bugs. They fixed some but still some major bugs have not been addressed. Still Minecraft has gained massive amounts of popularity through all this. So Mojang is sitting around raking the money in, and people are still playing. This doesn't mean Minecraft is a bad game, it is just that there is hardly enough content to make it a real game. It has potential to be very fun. If it had better MP, where AI was actually difficult, combat was actually fun, and building bases was mean't for survival I would still be playing this game. But Mojang is just selling us a simple block builder game, and I don't see them adding any major content that will make the game fun for me for a while. One day it may be there, but for now it is just a dull block building game. And the people who whine about the graphics are idiots. Games are about gameplay not graphics...and Minecraft lacks gameplay. Expand
  60. Nov 26, 2011
    The hype was astounding, I had to try it. Minecraft was supposedly the creative mining game that allowed you to do whatever you want. It was intended to be fun, despite the horrendous graphics. From what i gathered, you dig holes. Then dig some more holes. If you're feeling edgy you could build things and if you get lucky you'll come across some materials to make stuff. Even so, you'd have to mix and match blindly or open up the Wikipedia page on the side in order to create something useful. I admit, digging into caverns and building a fortress is kind of fun. Sadly, this game's lack for user friendly elements leaves me wondering what is the point of harvesting flowers? Personally, i believe this game is just filled with people with outdated computers trying to have fun with their friends with equally outdated computers. Somehow this ended up with them convinced that this was a good game and so a cult following was born. I decided to give this a better rating than zero only because some people may enjoy learning all the different combinations of crafting within this game. I certainly would not waste my time in this silly and boring universe called Minecraft. Expand
  61. Nov 29, 2011
    Minecraft, I'm not quite sure what to say about this. Before minecraft started to get popular Notch listened to the community, updated the game periodically, fixed the reported bugs within a week or two all was good. But then it became beta There were a lot of bugs of course for it being a beta. But it started to get worse. The new updates were not all great and the amount of Unfixed bugs started to pile up. Then the FULL release came out and the updates are kinda cool but it was a major letdown it contained half assed simplistic RPG elements witch could have been better if he just bothered to work on it some more. It contained several bugs and to make it even worse the multiplayer doesn't work half of the time now. This game is still incomplete because notch refuses to listen to the community anymore. At the ending result this game is half assed compared to the games that are currently available but still not that bad of a game because the gameplay is dull, if you were to get this game you better know how to install mods and to be honest even then its not worth it Expand
  62. Dec 2, 2011
    Unlike many other's, I'm guessing, I actually went from Terraria to Minecraft.

I had so many hopes and dreams for this game, and saw so much potential as I began my new character. Amazingly complex auto-generated worlds to explore that look fantastically different each time; What exciting adventure to be had!

It was to my dismay after "raiding" my first dungeon that I realized this game
    has about 3% of the content that Terraria did, and I was practically already done with the game... unless I felt like making a giant Sonic character out of mud. Minecraft has so much potential to not only be an adult version of child's "Blocks", but also an epic adventure game. Alas, the Adventure update was a pathetic joke... which would be fine, but the devs didn't really add any other content to offset the disappointment. It's my belief the devs are happily sitting on their hands laughing as they swim in the money that people are pouring into this under-developed and under-supported game that has somehow become so popular without actually offering much of anything.

Add some legitimate content, devs, and I'll be the happiest man alive. Until then: Skyrim modding and Terraria 1.1!
  63. Dec 8, 2011
    A game in which you play as a generic block guy and run around a randomly generated world full of blocks. Your aim is a collect blocks and stack them. If you're an imaginative person you can quite possibly pretend that the game is an amazing adventure. Reality suggests otherwise. Buggy, horrible graphics, horrible AI, rushed final release. Meanwhile, the creator is a multimillionaire who passive-aggressively abuses people on twitter, takes more vacations then he actually works and abandons the game upon release. Expand
  64. Dec 23, 2011
    Game seems like a great idea and building is fun but... The AI is really bad and the NPCs merely exist (they don't talk, interact with you or even run when attacked). The game has been in beta development for years and is still bug ridden after the "official release" this year. It's sold well but once you play, you'll see how much the developer has dropped the ball with giving meaningful updates and listening to the community. It takes me 15 minutes to log into MY OWN server due to Minecrafts central server having issues with validation. Anyone else trying to log in has the same problems. The game gets very boring to play by yourself (but once again, good luck getting other players on your server). The end dimension is very pointless and you can tell that there wasn't much effort put into coming up with it, as with most of their other updates...just read the update history and you'll see: Mooshroom cows for example.

Don't buy this and get Terraria instead. You can usually get it for under $3 on Steam (it goes on sale all the time) and it's a much better made (and less buggy) game.
  65. Jan 2, 2012
    30 for this? Seriously?

This game still reeks of "beta," not a finished product. There simply is nothing to do. The gameplay has no point and gets old after five minutes. Performance is terrible, even on decently-powerful computers--it simply isn't optimized. So then I decided to try some mods, but even the mods themselves are fragmented. Single-player mods don't necessarily function in
    multiplayer (even though core Minecraft gameplay is unchanged between single and multi), and heaven forbid you want to mod a dedicated server--that has a whole separate set of dependencies and issues to contend with. And even when they do work, they're nothing different from questing and crafting in games that you've already heard about.

Maybe it's one of those games that takes time to grow on you, so I'll give it another week. I just fear that there may not be a week's worth of stuff to actually do. Other than mine, build, and kill stuff. Which I did on day one.
  66. Jan 4, 2012
    minecraft is a little bit fun but the graphics are terrible, its just blocks and bits of rubbish , cheap and not good also very unrealistic because i could just put a random block in the middle of the sky
  67. Jan 15, 2012
    Minecraft is game for those, who don't have good PC to play games that have nice graphics, interesting gameplay. What can you say me about Minecraft?
    Gameplay?
    That stupid cubes are interesting for first 2-3 hours, next time they are annoying, craft recipes isn't interesting too, world is always same, same mobs, same dungeons, only location changes.
    I think, if this game would be developed
    in 2000 year it would be a super game for all people, but for today it doesn't work.
    So, if you don't have powerful PC or you like indie games, Minecraft is game for you.
  68. Mar 28, 2012
    This game is hugely overrated, grows boring after a quick play, and I know the graphics are intended to look bad, but its just ugly to play. The mechanics are boring and overly repetitive, and is not worth the 20 dollars it costs. Do not buy this game, go with Terraria or Garry's Mod, which are both excellent sandbox games. Minecraft however, isn't, so don't buy it!
  69. Feb 8, 2012
    The reason that this game is so popular is because it seems incredibly fun in the first few hours, first few days, weeks, etc., but the fun doesn't last. You run out of things to do almost immediately, as there is hardly any content besides playing with blocks. A novelty idea, but not a good game.
  70. Apr 16, 2012
    It started good. The alpha was great. Everyone's arch enemy was a creeper. Notch was awesome. But then... BAM! When the Full Version came out there was more bugs than the alpha and beta COMBINED. Notch got really famous and rich that he just left us behind. And when the Adventure update came, I thought it was pretty good. That was, until I found out the NPC to nothing at all but let you trade with them. Then : Minecraft 1.0... WHAT THE **** This is nothing like minecraft! Hardcore? **** that! If you die by even FALLING off a cliff you have to start over THE WHOLE ****ING WAY.... I don't reccomend this game. Expand
  71. Nov 4, 2014
    Objectively the game has always been bad. But it was still lots fun! Nowadays however, the game has gotten a lot worse and ISN'T EVEN FUN. The hunger system makes Survival Mode a chore to play. Your character starves before you even find a place to build. Want to build? Nope, gotta find food first. Want to explore? Nope, gotta find food first. Want to go spelunking? Nope, gotta find food first.
    The world generation is terrible. Back in Alpha & Beta, each world had it's own twists that made them all unique and interesting. But now, all worlds are almost exactly the same. I'm not even exaggerating. Also the color schemes in some biomes are terrible. WHY IS THE GRASS BLUEISH IN THE MOUNTAIN BIOME?!
    The sound design has gotten cringe worthy. It used to be nice to listen to, and cheesy in a good way. But now the sounds are unfittingly realistic(?) or cheesy in a bad way. NO ONE ASKED FOR REALISTIC SOUND DESIGN FOR MINECRAAFT. IT IS COMPLETELY UNFITTING TO THE GAMES STYLE. As for the sounds that are cheesy in a bad way: Who's idea was it to make the villagers sound like depressed chickens that have a cold?
    The game goes in too many different directions. It has sandbox themes, it has cartoony themes, it has adventure themes, it has survival themes, it has mythical themes. None of these coincide with eachother. It feels like a bunch of community mods were thrown together in one big package. Actually a bunch of the stuff they've added are in fact rip-offs of community mods.
    I haven't even mentioned all the bugs yet. The Alpha & Beta versions of the game were more playable than the current version.
    The game isn't optimized. Like at all. Despite the fact that it looks like it's from 1990, despite the fact that there is nothing that should be remotely hardware intensive in the game, it still runs horribly. Even if you have a perfectly up to date PC, you will still experience random FPS drops.
  72. Jul 20, 2012
    I'm not enjoying this game. It's nothing against the plot of it (Mining/building) It's just that I don't like the graphics. Large pixels and 3D games aren't my thing. I also don't like the lag that the game gives me. I lag, and I've got a really nice computer.

I don't like it, personally, but I can really see how it appeals to a lot of people! If you are a fan of 3D games, get this!
  73. Apr 10, 2013
    Horrible. The gameplay is decently entertaining with friends (but only for 2 days every 6 months or so.) The graphics are complete crap and the developers try to pass this off as attempting to be "retro" while if you look at actual retro games, they look much better than this. Even with these terrible graphics, Minecraft fails to run well on lower-end PCs because the developers are terrible at optimizing the game. The AI in general is terrible and you can hardly consider it AI at all. Zombies run at you and attack you with no pattern. Skeletons shoot you and do nothing else. They have no death animations. You can hardly interact with villagers. Infact, villagers were pointless from the beginning, as when they were added they just came with some randomly spawned village that you couldn't do anything to but destroy or modify. They don't talk. All they do is move around a little and stare at you. The fact that this game got a rating almost as good as Bioshock Infinite makes me sad. The fact that this game got more than a mixed rating makes me sad. Expand
  74. Nov 22, 2014
    If you happen to have a time machine handy, go back to 2010. Minecraft was at its best then. Now, in 2014, the game is flooded with content. So much so, that it's as thinly spread out as a jar of peanut butter over the Atlantic Ocean. It has too much going for it, which kills the game as a whole. It only stands up for the complete stupidity of the "vanilla" or original mode with its absolutely MASSIVE modding community. But, if your game relies on mods to attract a crowd, you might as well head on over and sign up for Roblox, you illiterate ****
    TL;DR: A depressingly **** game that killed itself over time by saturating its content to the point of complete boredom. I can't go longer than 10 minutes playing this before I realize just how interesting my ceiling looks, a sign of true boredom. Consider this a platform to hold up mods, rather than a game and you can give it a solid 6/10. But, since this is a game, 2/10, you **** RIP Minecraft, an excellent game killed by oversaturation of content and a community that somehow beats out Call of Duty in the category of ****ty **** for ****s.
    Good if you need your spoiled ****face 10 year olds to shut up, otherwise, don't recommend. Want a real sandbox? Go play DayZ or something.
  75. Oct 19, 2014
    Si su estética y su desarrollo fuera dirigido hacia un público mas adulto sería de agradecer. Con una cierta edad, a uno le da vergüenza jugar a esto. Los objetivos son repetitivos y aburridos, para crear algo decente hay que dedicarle demasiado tiempo.
    ¿Muchas posibilidades? Puede ser. Pero si el juego se hace aburrido pronto de que sirve.
    Un juego así pero con un enfoque adulto y real
    podría estar bien, pero no, Minecraft es un mundo de cubos aburrido e infantil. Una pérdida de tiempo, algo así como LBP pero peor. Expand
  76. Aug 7, 2014
    Personally I tend to the negative side of the game. Not because of the game itself, the gameplay is fine, but the childish community of the game can be very annoying. Since the game is made by straight out java (as I know), it does not allow advanced managing method of the game though Minecraft allows some simple mods. Players can destroy other's creations easily and thus you can see how grieving is so common in this game. I understand that freedom is the main aspect of sandbox games but I think the situation may become a bit too far for multiplayer in Minecraft. Expand
  77. Sep 24, 2014
    Fun at first, fun for youtubers, overrated as hell, eventually only mods and plugins will make it fun. Servers if you're lucky. But guess who DOESN'T get paid? Mod, plugin and server devs. Actual game devs are lazy idiots who ride off of the success of the community and sell it to microsoft, before walking out claiming they can't handle it.
  78. Nov 5, 2014
    this gaem iz praty fin. it maiks me madd slumteims becuase piople break my hosues. its fun too kuill animals tho. i like makyng houses 4 powple cuaz i maek them owt uv drit
  79. Dec 30, 2011
    The critic ratings are too overrated despite the usage of decent graphics using javascript. This is a game I would afford to play in 2000 as a free indie game with unlimited possibilities of creating all kinds of stuff, but just not in this time when all Internet games use updated graphics with flash and java combined and they wind up better looking. Overall this game looks more like a DOS game back in the old PC days. Expand
  80. Sep 19, 2011
    This game use to be fun, but its way too repetitive and boring
  81. Nov 29, 2011
    When this game was in pre-release, waaay back when, waaaaay back before indev. This game was interesting and fun, and people were already pre-ordering it. Well luckily I didn't have a credit card, because we all knew this game had POTENTIAL. Unfortunately that potential was never fulfilled. What originally was like a bare bones sandbox legos game evolved into... a sandbox legos game, with animals. Booring. Bad gameplay, bad graphics, bad... game i guess. And bad game reviewers giving this mostly positive reviews. I'm talking to you pros at GAMESPOT, IGN and etc: You are supposed to be professionals and you aren't acting like it. Giving this "game" a passing score is **** Grab your **** ponytail and pull your head out of your ass, I don't read game reviews to get my **** hard, i read them to know if a **** game is good or **** bad. Stop being misleading you dickheads.

And to the many fans of the game, enjoy it if you want, I don't give a **** I buy EVERY Harvest Moon game and play them constantly. I know most of them are **** I don't care, it's a matter of preference. So enjoy your game but don't tell me its a **** 10/10 perfect game, have some **** pride and self worth and say "its a 4/10 but I love it". I knocked 3 points off my score to compensate for the dick sucking around here.
  82. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecrap final version review: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The final version of this game is nothing but the original game with added "survival mode." The Survival element gets boring after a few days of playing. The combat is boring and repetitive. The few amounts of weapons and armor are all the same, they just have a different color. The AI... they suck. Get close to them, you loose health. You just spam attack from a distance and kill them. You block them in a hole, they can't get out. Then you have the NPCs.... THEY DO NOTHING! You can't talk to them, can't trade items with them, you can't do anything with them! The dungeons? All the same. Filled with the same boring AI inside them. The only enjoyable element of this game is building structures alone or with friends.... WHICH YOU CAN DO FOR FREE ON MINECRAFT CLASSIC! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Its not worth 30 bucks, its no better then any other free java game on the web. Expand
  83. Dec 23, 2011
    Poorly implemented ideas, stale gameplay, it gives you no idea of what you are supposed to do and it is full of bugs. Plus now it is marketed to autistic 8 year olds, not the fans who made it popular in the first place. I cannot believe how much greed governs it now. Finish your games before releasing them.
  84. May 16, 2012
    Over-hyped trash with no point. A big lego sandbox with horrible AI, poor controls and a clear lack of vision.

Terraria is about 9 times the game Minecraft is. Minecraft is a good idea, poorly implemented.
  85. Jan 3, 2012
    Me-Buys 2000$ computer that can run Crysis and Skyrim Maxed out with full anti-aliasing
    MInecraft- Java
    Me- Cant run 256x256 texture packs without lag
    Java, I'm done here
  86. Apr 14, 2012
    The brilliantly simplistic and fun idea that powered Minecraft at the beginning of its creation is overshadowed by many, many flaws. The graphics are disgusting. Supposedly they are suppose to look "retro"; no retro game has ever looked this bad. It really hurst your eyes to look at it. The combat is very basic and boring. It basically comes down to who has farmed enough items and has spent enough hours playing the game to get the better loot. Multiplayer (without a whitelist) is absolute mayhem. Most of the server "owners" are 15 years old or a furry. (Usually both) This leads to you getting banned from servers because the owner was mad because he was picked on in school that day, you have a skin they don't like, or you killed an animal (and furries evidentally hate that). In conclusion, the game gets boring very quickly and a community that is full of furries, children and homosexuals makes it even worse. So, unless you are one of the above mentioned, you will want to steer far clear from this game as it will dillude your mind and pull you into those digusting and appalling fandoms. If you are one of the above mentioned, then by all means play the game and discuss your pathetic, freakish, loner lives together away from all the normal people of the world. Expand
  87. Nov 24, 2011
    Nenhum pouco engraçado, preciso de mais motivação pra encarrar algo tão chato, não gostei principalmente da parte gráfica. O som é péssimo também.
  88. Nov 26, 2011
    This game is fun, sometimes. The vast majority will get addicted to playing it for a few hours here and there, but will eventually get tired of it over and over again. This game is ONLY getting perfect scores from critics because they are hopping on the bandwagon of trying to support something that's indie and still well known, if you know what I mean. Also, Notch is a tool.
  89. Jan 3, 2014
    This is a game the same way lego is a game- meaning, it isn't. This is a building simulation which is ultimately the most overrated game of the decade. Graphics, controls, and UI are all absolutely horrid- but it's an indie sandbox, so naturally that's enough for those who hate anything made by a big company to love it. If this game was made by EA, every person praising it would instead be talking about how horrible it is. Too bad this era's of gamers are more interested in gaming politics than they are in actual games.

And queue the flood of terrible but cheap or free indie games.
  90. Jan 2, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the media attention and hype surrounding Minecraft : It is an incomplete mess of a product - I'm not even calling it a game, it's only intention from day one was to line Notch's grubby pockets with more gold. The game is supposed to have a "retro" feel to it, it was meant to be a "fresh" new indie game which "innovated" the genre. Pay little attention to any review which uses any of these buzzwords. For anyone that played any games which could be defined as retro, you would understand that these games made best use of the graphics they had available to them at the time. Some of them could even be described as visual masterpieces. Minecraft feels like somebody who has never played a retro game in their life before and with little knowledge of the genre has rushed together an abortion of a better game. Every single video game is supposed to have a point, a purpose or a goal for the character or players to achieve. It could be as simple as "deactivating a bomb" or far more complex like the complete storylines found in many modern RPGs. What is the point of Minecraft? What is the player striving to achieve? Nothing. There is no point to anything in this game. Why are villages randomly spawned in the deserts? Can you even interact with the NPCs you find? You can't. There is no purpose to them whatsoever - If you attack them.. they do nothing... you cannot trade with them, they own no items and wander around aimlessly. If this game was still in a beta stage I could appreciate that this is work in progress. But it isn't... This is what the game developers actually want you to play.. this is the display of their talents for the world to see. The only pro of this game is the music, which although it is only a single track it is very soothing to dig away to in the middle of the night. Playing this game online with friends was supposed to be the clincher, but that really gets boring after a while, especially once you realise how poorly made the combat system is for this game. Even if every other aspect of this game was the same, if the developers had even bothered to introduce a decent combat system then I could appreciate this game for what it is, and even give it a better score. However the fact that the developers had left such a poor combat system - which was supposed to be one of the primary features of this game - seems to round this game off as a rushed product with no real intention of being decent. I recall retro games from the 1990s with hundreds of different combat features that wound the audience into the web of the games story. But minecraft only has ONE single click attack... that is it. You must beat your opponents to death with an array of different weapons (4 or 5 different coloured swords) and that really is it. Once you have a full set of Diamond armour pretty much any attacks made by NPCs against your character is made redundant and that makes the game far too easy - where is the replay value in that? Diamond armour can also be made only an hour or two into a game so there isn't even a challenging aspect for combat in this game. Expand
  91. Jan 14, 2012
    Minecraft is the most overrated game ever. The idea deserves 10, indeed, but the execution is... a tragedy.

The game has been developed for THREE YEARS and it is FAR FROM BEING FINISHED, even though it has the 'Full Release' title. Notch did a horrible job with the game. He wasted the enormous potential. Slow lazy greedy Swede who ruined the game. Rushed half-features for which nobody has
    asked. If there weren't any mods, Minecraft would become boring after 5 hours of playing.

Don't buy it. Don't waste your money. Many clones of Minecraft are being created. Who knows, one may beat this extremely overrated title.
  92. Jan 21, 2012
    Minecraft hasn't been a nice experience for me. Nothing more. Why? Minecraft is -not- a good gaming experience. I've been playing ever since indev first came out, I was super excited whenever the SMP test server was on and I've wasted hours upon hours just breaking blocks and placing them somewhere else, making cool creations which I'm very proud of some. But why is it a bad experience? First off, there's no tutorial or whatsoever. You'll have no idea what to do on your first playthrough - luckily there's a fan made wiki which will supply you with detailed information about every aspect of the game - but WHY do we have to rely on these kind of sources? Why is there no official tutorial or instructions? I understand that some people enjoyed the aspect of exploring and finding things on their own - but goddamn there aren't even crafting instructions.
    The game itself plays off rather nicely at the start; you randomly break blocks, suddenly it's noon. You build a shelter and start collecting resources... Then what? Nothing. The game becomes bland. There's no objective or win-stage. If you're creative you might still have fun, designing small contraptions and stuff. Maybe after some time playing you'll have an objective set for yourself - which is just collecting resources. But there is only a handful of resources in the game, and it doesn't take long until you get them all. There are some other things that you can do, like build a portal to the nether, or travel to the end... but how are you supposed to know these things exist, without, once again, checking the wiki or getting help?? Everything is simply scattered around the game and the devs expect the player to find these elements on his own while in reality it's an impossible task without some sort of guide or help.
    Then there's multiplayer - a fresh aspect for the game. After you've finished toying around with single player you'll probably want to try out multiplayer. But, guess what? There's no server list (only favorites), you have to type an IP of a server yourself - and where in the hell are you supposed to even get one? In addition to that there are no official game servers or a real way of obtaining a server IP other that asking a friend for a one or searching for a good one on the internet for countless hours. Once again, everything is simply scattered and feels unfinished. I've been playing for a while, so I know how to play the game and what to do. But I almost never find myself just randomly playing. The game gets BORING and the oblivious devs completely didn't take that into account while making this. Let's leave the gameplay-wise section. The game itself, has poor graphics compared to other games todays. Notch's reason for using pixellated graphics is to maintain a "retro" feel. And I can accept that - but WHY does the game take up so many system resources!? I can run Skyrim, Crysis, L.A Noire and other games in the highest settings but this game just slows down after a while and slows down my entire computer. I have occasional lag spikes and even crashes from time to time. This proves Notch didn't care for performance and wanted to release his game asap just to get it out there and earn more money from critic reviews. The game is also COMPLETELY overpriced - I've enjoyed The Binding of Isaac which is only 5$ MUCH more than I've enjoyed this game - And I bought it when it was just 10 euros. It should've stayed with that price, but it didn't. The game is also overpraised just because of what it's been through. All of the critics giving insanely high and undeserving scores have obviously played the game in the beta stage and were eagerly waiting for the game to come out so that they can review it. If the game DIDN'T have an alpha-beta stage and would just come out as it is today without no one knowing about it previously it would've gotten VERY low scores. It's a bad game. It would've been BUTCHERED by critics. Heck, if I could show Notch what his game would become he would've completely changed his plans. But instead he's money hungry. He has made so many promises that he didn't keep, like different gameplay modes or official mod support. I didn't even write about the other crummy features of the game in my review - like the so-called "end" - which is just a boring, artificially difficult boss fight, or the level up system which actually relies on the simple click-to-spam combat. There are even non-responsive NPCs in the game which Notch promised a long time ago but didn't have the patience/time/power to finish them. The game feels unfinished for an old player like me or confusing and bland for new player. It's shameful how it's getting these amazing scores from critics - it simply shouldn't. I'm giving it a 4 because I did spend a lot of time playing it with friends, and made a few creations which felt mostly rewarding and even fun. Thanks for the read.
  93. Jan 27, 2012
    Un jeu que j'aime particulièrement. Grâce a un amis je l'ai découvert et je me demanderait que ferai je sans ce jeu. Il mérite plus qu'un 10/10 au moins 15/10... =D
  94. Feb 10, 2012
    This game starts you off in a fun mood, but as it goes on, you get more bored with nothing to do. The idea of getting blocks and placing them on top of each other is not so appealing, and when you have built what you want, you go through so many bugs and disappointments - there's nothing more to do. What's more is that the pixel full game takes you back into olden days, and though it may be like that for the convenience of the game, it certainly puts a bad impression on the player. Expand
  95. Mar 17, 2012
    It's been so long and so little has been accomplished, I still have a Sneak key that doesn't sneak. If my dog is sitting and a close the game it is forever stuck sitting. I have a room that is about 5 x 5 with 10 torches in it and zombies still attack me when i goto sleep in the bed, If you want a game that absolutely nothing can go right, this is it. (it's only rated a 1 cause I can still classify it as a game.) Expand
  96. Apr 26, 2012
    This game is creative and fun, but it's in Java and it's very poorly optimized. And I don't really think this game is worth 27$, that's really expensive for a game made in JAVA imo. Terraria is just most fun, have no performance issues, it's 10$ full price and it's on Steam.
  97. Aug 20, 2012
    The developers sat around a table one day and made a bet.
    One guy said to another «Hey! I'll bet you $100 that I can come up with a really STUPID IDEA, CHEAP RETRO GRAPHICS, REPETITIVE GAME-PLAY, LACK OF CONTENT, LIMITED ACTION video game title that will entice millions of idiots to play it as if it were the next best thing to sex with 4 women at a time! I bet you that people who
    can't tell the difference between a good RPG and a dog turd will LOVE my game and hype it up to no limits, getting other weak-minded individuals to play it endlessly! I bet we could overprice it, under-develop it, sub-maintain it and no one would give a crap! I bet you that the graphics could be SO BAD that it will make ASCII based games on the TRS-80 in 1981 seem like next-generation DirectX 11 games! I'm willing to bet you that NO ONE will figure out that we're basically laughing our asses off at them to liking it! I bet you we'd be able to MINE their pockets and CRAFT a real piece of dung title!» Expand
  98. Jul 26, 2013
    After all the hype I finally decided to try out the demo, and.. it's crap. My first impression is that it's a super low-budget, pointless and unplayable game. Ugly cubical graphics. Lack of instructions whatsoever. Clumsy controls. The only things i understood were that you can create some items from other items after you press E. And that you can hit mobs by left clicking.
    The game lags
    on my laptop where I could run World of Warcraft at high graphics settings this is totally inexcusable given it's absurdly low budget graphics.
    No matter what you heard about Minecraft, try the demo before buying! And since you won't like the demo, don't buy it.
    And instead of saying that I am an ignorant newbie who doesn't want to understand some depths of this game, please introduce proper instructions tutorial to just let the player know about the depth, if there is any..
  99. Jan 14, 2013
    5sec played, and deleted! BAD game with bad graphic! Also Bad AI( "While this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam" good word bro! Good idea...but... bad(
  100. Apr 4, 2014
    My computer hyperventilates more often playing Minecraft than it does Mirror's Edge. My brain can't stand to have the same activity repeated every time I start up the game. I can't stand the community,"YOLO SWAG! YOU HACKER! STOP HACKING! STRAFING IS A GREAT STRATEGY! I HAVE NO LIFE! BUTTER IS GOLD! I'M SUICIDAL!" Worst of all, my friends ONLY have Mindcrap, so they beg me to play. Survival games. "PVP." The only two activities they enjoy on this game. Most people only like Minecraft because it's the only game they have. I got my friend Garry's Mod, AND HE NEVER PLAYS IT! WHEN HE DOES, HE DOES FOR FIVE MINUTES, THEN GOES AND PLAYS "SURVIVAL GAMES"! I could rant and rave all day about this game, but I'm tired and going insane from my Minecraft player friend. Expand
  101. Feb 4, 2012

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]