7.4

1. Apr 29, 2011
    To respond to all criticism: Graphics. They're that way to make the game cool and retro. If the graphics were better, the game would lag severely and Minecraft would be unplayable. Gameplay: You make your own fun. Pretend you're stuck underground and the rescue party won't come because everyone thinks you're dead. You have to force your way out and you try not to die. Just a thought.To respond to all criticism: Graphics. They're that way to make the game cool and retro. If the graphics were better, the game would lag severely and Minecraft would be unplayable. Gameplay: You make your own fun. Pretend you're stuck underground and the rescue party won't come because everyone thinks you're dead. You have to force your way out and you try not to die. Just a thought. Building an awesome house. Go out and fight the mosters. Tame a Wolf to be you pet. I'm always finding these underground waterfalls and lavafalls. You get the sense that you're going where no-one else has gone before. Bugs and Glitches: This is an indie game that is massive. Ok. Some bugs are major and they suck. Moving on! This game is overwhelming if you don't know what to do. Use the Minecraft Wiki to help. Build a house and go out mining and exploring. Build a massive minecart track. Sometimes, a nice little tune would play to ease you up a bit in tough situations. Bottom line: It's a triumph of Indie gaming. It's up there with the games that started out small and turned huge like the classic Donkey Kong, World of Goo, Braid and many others. A modern classic, hands down. I'd like to give it a 9.5, but I can't... Expand
  2. Jan 26, 2011
    Minecraft is a simple game with simple mechanics and simple graphics but its very fun and addictive. The game is not a complete game is being updated once in a while. I can't really say anything negative because its all good but what this game lacks is a tutorial for beginners. Its an easy game but not for beginners. Minecraft is AWESOME and ADDICTING.
  3. Jan 9, 2013
    I love this game, however it has a lot of potential to become much better. At first it's a lot of fun just digging and building houses, but that gets quite boring after a while. Luckily there are a lot of talented adventure map makers out there to bring minecraft to another level, not to mention the mod makers, which makes this game incredibly versatile. It's basically up to yourself wantI love this game, however it has a lot of potential to become much better. At first it's a lot of fun just digging and building houses, but that gets quite boring after a while. Luckily there are a lot of talented adventure map makers out there to bring minecraft to another level, not to mention the mod makers, which makes this game incredibly versatile. It's basically up to yourself want you this game to be. Expand
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    I really don't understand all the hate in this review thread. The game is amazing. With mods, you can really make it look modern, and quite nice. Actually, with mods, you can do just about anything in this game. That is a huge part of what makes it so great. The unique design, addictive gameplay, and the endless amount of creative possibility also add to the greatness. I haven't had thisI really don't understand all the hate in this review thread. The game is amazing. With mods, you can really make it look modern, and quite nice. Actually, with mods, you can do just about anything in this game. That is a huge part of what makes it so great. The unique design, addictive gameplay, and the endless amount of creative possibility also add to the greatness. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time, and the fact that it is indie is somewhat astronishing. There really is sooo much to do, and it's a fun, calming experience. I love survival mode, which I don't believe they had during the release. Multiplayer with friends is also a lot of fun. Highly recommend this game, Expand
  5. Feb 24, 2011
    The first time I heard about Minecraft, I had no idea that a game with such wide open freeform game play could be so appealing. As a nameless protagonist without any story or purpose, youâ
  6. Nov 23, 2011
    Minecraft is a sandbox, block based building game. It gives players the ability to dworko whatever they want to their environment; anything from building a castle to blowing up the world. The freedom to do whatever you want gives the game an unlimited replay value. In edition, the multiplayer functionality gives you the ability to work on massive projects with your friends. All in all, anMinecraft is a sandbox, block based building game. It gives players the ability to dworko whatever they want to their environment; anything from building a castle to blowing up the world. The freedom to do whatever you want gives the game an unlimited replay value. In edition, the multiplayer functionality gives you the ability to work on massive projects with your friends. All in all, an excellent game, and more than worthy of the price. Expand
  7. Mar 11, 2011
    Extremely fun with endless possibilites. Nice soundtrack and great fun! Minecraft is different to other games and is full of things to do. The game centers on crafting, collecting, exploing, building and all sorts of things.Build houses, construct huge endless tunnels, explore an amazing endless world made up of blocks of sand, dirt, diamond, coal, iron, gold, water - the list goes on.Extremely fun with endless possibilites. Nice soundtrack and great fun! Minecraft is different to other games and is full of things to do. The game centers on crafting, collecting, exploing, building and all sorts of things.Build houses, construct huge endless tunnels, explore an amazing endless world made up of blocks of sand, dirt, diamond, coal, iron, gold, water - the list goes on. Hirely reccomend it. Its brilliant. Expand
  8. Jul 18, 2011
    Minecraft is a simple game, not to be taken for it's face value. It's a game that is only limited by your imagination. The graphics seem poor, but add to the charm.

You start off in an empty world, inhabited only by animals. As you explore this vast world, you collect the resources needed to build your first shelter, perhaps a bed as well. As the night falls upon your world, the creatures of the night come out with only the intent of killing you. Past this first night, you return outside to collect more resources. This day, you decide, will be the day that you craft your first set of armor. Or maybe it's the day you first begin your expedition into the depths of the world to uncover more valuable ores. Whichever you choose, the ambient of the world gives you a sense of loneliness, but then the wonderful and peaceful music comes in and you realize that you are not alone, no, instead you are at peace with your surroundings. As you delve into the depths, you encounter dungeons and lava. The darkness surrounds you making torches a necessity. You keep traveling through the natural cave systems, breaking down walls with your pick until you find what you've been looking for. This simple gem represents the entirety of your struggles through your world. These diamonds will allow you to craft the most powerful tools possible. With these diamond tools, you begin to harvest obsidian. You craft some flint and steel and get to work building a portal. As you light that portal for the first time, excitement runs through you. You step into the portal and are transported to a new world, a world full of flame and lava. Where the creatures are deadlier. You have arrived in the nether. This place can be used as a way to quickly travel around the surface world, or can be used to gather strange new blocks. But soon even this place grows boring.

Once you arrive at stability, with a constant source of resources that you can gather with ease, the game becomes less of an adventure. Now that you have all that you could want, all that is left is to build. You can build anything. Your mind's eye sees this world as a canvas, your blocks as the paint. You build structure upon structure, bringing your world to life. You have farms full of wheat, a dense forest with mushrooms covering the ground, a small village, perhaps a castle with a moat, your mine shafts.

And now, you step back and look at your expansive creation. You marvel at your handiwork, despite a few flaws that you see. And then you realize how much time you have spent in this world. Hours upon hours, seemingly wasted. But you must remember; Time you enjoy wasting, isn't time wasted.

Minecraft is a simple game, a game that is only as incredible as you can make it. The game is constantly being expanded with content updates, the Multiplayer allows you to experience this vast world with your friends. If there is one thing that Minecraft is not, that is that this is not the game for those who lack imagination. You must have a drive to create, and only then will you truly see Minecraft for the masterpiece that it is.
  9. Apr 29, 2011
    Extremely open premise, and a fun world, make Minecraft a light hearted, good time.

The only reasons you really shouldn't try this game are if you don't want to use your imagination, or if graphics are an imperative for you to have a good time. The game is still in "beta," but the game is purchasable. While the developers are constantly making changes, most of them are good, and the open ended world can be fun if you put the time into it!
  10. Apr 12, 2011
    Minecraft is cheap. Minecraft is fun. Everything a game should be. Overlook the not-so-brilliant graphics and it's almost perfect. Most PC's should be able to run it, turning down the view distance dramatically increases performance if you do encounter difficulties. Now go and get Minecraft, what have you got to lose? 9/10 gameandmoviereviews.com
  11. Apr 23, 2011
    Minecraft is a sandbox game in it's purest form: You have no conditions to meet, story to follow or enemies to defeat, all you have to do is amuse yourself. The game gives you no hints or advice, so it is up to you to find out how to play the game and even there is no right of wrong answer. Personally I decided to build a big city just for myself and to finish it I called it: "Casperville"Minecraft is a sandbox game in it's purest form: You have no conditions to meet, story to follow or enemies to defeat, all you have to do is amuse yourself. The game gives you no hints or advice, so it is up to you to find out how to play the game and even there is no right of wrong answer. Personally I decided to build a big city just for myself and to finish it I called it: "Casperville" and crown myself king/dictator. I had a lot of fun for a while and unless you use a wikia site it will take roughly two months before you discovered all the different blocks and craftable items.

Minecraft mostly involves building and if you want you can do that all day long, but once the sun goes down... all hell breaks loose. At night a whole army of monsters spawn and since you are rather tasty it won't take long until you are protagonist pie. You have the option to fight back, but if you choose to do so the terrible fighting engine will easily ead to your death. The only thing you can do is hold the attack-button and hope that the enemy will die before you do or one of his friends join in on the fun. The only weapon worth using is the bow because that is a ranged weapon and you will need it when facing off against the exploding creepers.

Anyway, at dawn the zombies and skeletons burn to their death and the spiders become friendly again. After the Creepers finally left (and this will take quite a while) you can get back to whatever you were doing in the first place. The single player will keep you busy for quite a long time, but once that runs out of appeal you still have the multi player. If you erect a server with some of your pals or join a quality server the game will stay fun for years to come. Servers like Honor Craft have a great community and manage to keep the grievers out.

Lastly I want to mention the amazing presentation. Love or hate the 16-bit graphics (personally I liked them due to nostalgia), but you got to love the world. Minecraft's world is gigantic and to my understanding it keeps creating more world if you come close to the end of it. The world has; vast seas, looming mountains and beautiful valleys. If you love untainted nature then Minecraft will feel like a paradise and if you don't you can always just burn it down and build factories on top of it. It also helps that Minecraft is still in production, so the game receives constant updates. The recent update for example added weather to the game.

I can talk for hours about how beautiful Minecraft is, but I am sure you get it by now. The game looks amazing and offers a lot of content, but it does have some annoying flaws. The combat could be better and not having torches around when it's night is a **** but I am willing to look past that. This game was worth my fourteen euros and I advice you to try it out as well. You can play Minecraft for free on www.minecraft,net, but the premium version is much better.
  12. Apr 25, 2011
    This game is addicting, simple and very fun. Read this review and see why you should buy this game.

Minecraft is a sandbox construction game, inspired by Infiniminer, and created by Markus Persson, the founder of Mojang AB. The game involves players creating and destroying various types of blocks in a three dimensional environment. The player takes an avatar that can destroy or create blocks, forming fantastic structures, creations and artwork across the various multiplayer servers in multiple game modes. This game is highly liked by many people and has sold over 1 million copies.

The graphics for minecraft are nothing special; however, I'm pretty sure this was intended. The graphics aren't great at first glance, although you get used to it the more you play the game. The art design is quite charming and interesting, and it kindof sucks you in. I started liking the graphics as the pixel art design fits the game nicely however, die-hard graphics fans will never get used to them.

The gameplay is simple and complex in different ways. You start off in a randomly-generated world and you need to survive as long as possible. The game involes you to gather resourses, make shelters and kill baddies. The game has many crafting recipes and this can be very rewarding. There is a bit of a learning curve, however, once you start to get the hang of things, you can't stop thinking what to make next. The building in this game is endless, with tons of materials to get. I found myself making houses and all sorts of things. Anyways, back to the "survival" aspect. The game's AI is quite good; as the badguys really try to kill you. Obviously, this can be turned off, but the game kinda loses it's spunk. There are many enemies, from zombies to spiders, there is tons to kill. The game has an online feature, however this is a big pain for people who are forced to make a server. Unforthunately, I didn't get a chance to play online, but I'm quite sure it would be a lot of fun. I could sit here for hours telling you about how interesting this game is, but I'll let you try it out for yourself and expierience how great this game is. For a game that only costs $20, this is a must-buy for all PC owners.

The sound effects in this game are realistic and somewhat creepy. The animals such as cows, pigs, and sheep sound spot on and really make the game come to life. The game's baddies sound weird, but that isn't to much of a factor. The game's music is somewhat relaxing and peaceful. Some of the music is excellent, and others are decent. Overall, the audio is fresh and is a blast to listen to. The controls are extremely responsive and customizable. I had very little control issues with this game. I don't have much to say here; except the fact that the controls are almost perfect. The game's replay value is the best I've ever seen in a video game. The game edges LittleBigPlanet2 by using randomly-generated worlds, tons of items to craft, many updates to come and much more features. The game's replay value is unlimited, due to the fact of the cost, features and content. PROS: +Randomly-Generated Worlds
    +Tons to Explore
    +Excellent Controls
    +Great Music
    +Sound Effects are spot-on
    +Cost of $20
    +Charming
    +Good AI
    +Decent Graphics

CONS:
    -No Maps
    -Learning Curve
    -Online Setup is a pain

Ratings:
    Graphics: 7.5/10
    Gameplay: 9.5/10
    Audio: 8.5/10
    Controls: 9.5/10
    Replay Value: 10/10
    OVERALL: 9.0/10 To conclude, Minecraft is a stunning game. The graphics may not be for everyone, but that shouldn't judge the game completely. The gameplay and all the other features overpowered that flaw, and you get used to the graphics after awhile. For all the people who hate the graphics, download a texture pack to make the graphics better. I think this is one of the best games for the PC.
  13. Jul 16, 2011
    As much as I want to give this a 10 out of 10, it isn't done yet. However, Minecraft has become as affected almost everyone I've met. The concept is simple, easy to explain, but impossible to master. I have wasted away countless hours on this game, building, crafting, being blown up by creepers, and repeating. Plus, it's only $21 now. Multiplayer is just as fun, if not better, thanAs much as I want to give this a 10 out of 10, it isn't done yet. However, Minecraft has become as affected almost everyone I've met. The concept is simple, easy to explain, but impossible to master. I have wasted away countless hours on this game, building, crafting, being blown up by creepers, and repeating. Plus, it's only $21 now. Multiplayer is just as fun, if not better, than single-player. However, making a server takes some time and practice, so start watching some YouTube videos if you're going to make one. Now, onto the graphics: I have 3 words for you: Haters gonna hate. The graphics are low-rez for a reason. If they weren't, people wouldn't focus on the game play. In the end, I don't see why you need to read this review, as you don't need someone to say Minecraft is a good game. In other words, buy this game and tell you're friends about it. Expand
  14. Jun 15, 2011
    Very nice game. The never-ending open-world concept is refreshing and quite welcome. I get so sick and tired of devs that think a game HAS to have an ending like a book or a movie. Mojang have their heads on straight though and realize that a game can be fun and extremely addicting and open-ended to the point of lasting virtually forever (or as long as the gamer can play physically playVery nice game. The never-ending open-world concept is refreshing and quite welcome. I get so sick and tired of devs that think a game HAS to have an ending like a book or a movie. Mojang have their heads on straight though and realize that a game can be fun and extremely addicting and open-ended to the point of lasting virtually forever (or as long as the gamer can play physically play it). I've built entire cities in Minecraft. Some underground, some on the ground, some in the sky, and even one in the Nether using materials I had to bring in from the normal world. I hope Mojang don't get lazy or distracted with other silly projects now that they are loaded with cash. I want them to keep focusing on this game to completion and beyond. My only complaint would be that the game is possibly TOO modable and almost every multiplayer server I've tried has been moded to the point of idiocy. Expand
  15. May 31, 2011
    Graphics complaints are missing the point of this game. There is plenty to do and much to explore, dont bother with the free version, the only version worth beans is survivor. And find a guide to help you get started.
  16. Mar 27, 2014
    After a while it grows on you a bit, plus everyone was telling me how great the building aspect of it is when I'm more into the adventure and mining of it. Although it still seems like the fans are the ones that carried this game...
  17. Jun 17, 2011
    From many people I have heard that they say the graphics are rubbish yet they have yet to play such a simple yet addictive game. Sure there are some bugs in the game but as it reaches the official version in the 4th Quarter the creases will be 'ironed' out. As it's constantly updated I find even more fun yet interesting additions that make the game so much more enjoyable. A favourite ofFrom many people I have heard that they say the graphics are rubbish yet they have yet to play such a simple yet addictive game. Sure there are some bugs in the game but as it reaches the official version in the 4th Quarter the creases will be 'ironed' out. As it's constantly updated I find even more fun yet interesting additions that make the game so much more enjoyable. A favourite of mine would be the addition of hatches (door in the floor). This allowed lots of new creations and to further it, the cleaning up of various things such as the large and 'ugly' normal doors. Overall a great game for a great price. In my opinion a must play! However it can't get a 10 as I'm sure it will be better as time progesses Expand
  18. Dec 8, 2011
    The simplest of ideas are often the best. A great idea and value for money. Players can look forward to many improvements and possibilities in the future of Minecraft. Highly recommended.
  19. Jul 4, 2011
    This game is really awesome, you can do so much with it and you can be really creative and build lots of things. However, the game doesn't last forever, there is only so much you can do, about after 2 weeks gameplay It will not be as fun and you will probably stop playing because at that time you already have a giant house, mines everywhere, lots of ore and many items, farm and such andThis game is really awesome, you can do so much with it and you can be really creative and build lots of things. However, the game doesn't last forever, there is only so much you can do, about after 2 weeks gameplay It will not be as fun and you will probably stop playing because at that time you already have a giant house, mines everywhere, lots of ore and many items, farm and such and then you can't really do more, you've reached your peak, and once you can't really accomplish anything else you stop playing, but still really good for that two weeks. Expand
  20. Nov 24, 2011
    I was introduced to this game back in December '10, and it was explained to me as a "never ending world made of cubic meter cubes where you can build to survive attacks from creatures and excavate to upgrade tools." I nearly s*** my pants when I heard this because I've been looking for a game that had vast terraforming capabilities ever since I played Red Faction (the first one) where youI was introduced to this game back in December '10, and it was explained to me as a "never ending world made of cubic meter cubes where you can build to survive attacks from creatures and excavate to upgrade tools." I nearly s*** my pants when I heard this because I've been looking for a game that had vast terraforming capabilities ever since I played Red Faction (the first one) where you could make your own tunnel with rocket launchers. I bought the game, started it up, looked at the graphics and was disappointed, but my friend told me "just give it a try, it'll grow on you." I've been playing 11 months since then (off and on). The saving grace to this game is the modding community, without it I would be bored to death, but since the developers programmed in functionality to be modded (with a simple programming language, mind you) I am including the online community while rating this game. I host my own server, my friends join with me, and we have an RP world made with mods, and a Survival world made legit. That's the fascinating thing about this game, is that it is made to be a single player survival game, but unintentionally has practically turned into an MMO with all of the online modding capabilities. Idk if it's fair or not, but i docked a point for the speed of Majang's work, I've been in beta for 11 months and haven't seen much added. Sure there's a big list of core changes to the game in the last year, but month-to-month it's actually not that much. Keep in mind that I am rating this as an indie game, as if this were a fully financed corporate project then I would rate this a 6, due to lack of content, but for a small team of developers, the fair price (comparative to a typical game), and the online community, this is definitely deserving of at least a 9. Expand
  21. Jul 13, 2011
    Minecraft is a terrific, simple, unfinished game that deserves the praise it receives. It appeals to the creative, the innovative, the adventurous. Most people will leave satisfied after building a house, fighting zombies, or building some giant contraption out of redstone (the game's version of wires). While it may get a little tiresome after you've done nearly everything, but that's theMinecraft is a terrific, simple, unfinished game that deserves the praise it receives. It appeals to the creative, the innovative, the adventurous. Most people will leave satisfied after building a house, fighting zombies, or building some giant contraption out of redstone (the game's version of wires). While it may get a little tiresome after you've done nearly everything, but that's the beauty of being unfinished, because the creator Notch can create something completely new, pull us back into the magical world of Minecraft Expand
  22. Jul 30, 2011
    Please disregard reviews from people claiming the game doesn't have enough to do. Many of those reviews were written when the game was in alpha, at the time of this review it is still in beta and won't be released for several months. Mojang is constantly adding new features and tuning the experience.

Also disregard reviews from people who don't care for the genre, would you trust a review of an RTS by someone who doesn't like RTSs?

That said, Minecraft has captured the essence of sandbox gaming. So far the features have been more abstract than concrete giving players tools to explore and shape the world without imposing any sort of virtual reality other than the one they create. This may change in the future, Terraria has named bosses and the team at Mojang have expressed an interest in doing something similar in Minecraft. However, so far I like the way the team has implemented the game so I suspect they will add more concrete concepts in elegant ways.

If you even think you may like this game, pick it up and/or check out the many videos people have posted on YouTube
  23. Aug 3, 2011
    This is possibly my most favourite game and its money well spent buying this, with countless mods you can install and the opportunity to add such a huge variety of texture packs, the community has really built this game, that aside, the general game you receive is a masterpiece in its self with no goal offered you are thrown into the wilderness to survive, building a home and keepingThis is possibly my most favourite game and its money well spent buying this, with countless mods you can install and the opportunity to add such a huge variety of texture packs, the community has really built this game, that aside, the general game you receive is a masterpiece in its self with no goal offered you are thrown into the wilderness to survive, building a home and keeping monsters at bay and doing countless things to stay alive, this alone is a fun factor also the fact you can build pretty much anything you want is just amazing, i extremely recommend this to anybody and even more to those of you who have a creative mind and you can go online and make mega structures with your friends now that awesome, the only downfall i can see is that the game can crash sometimes depending on what your doing and sometimes the servers can get overloaded taking time go go online but this is usually sorted and you can play offline making this game one of my top 5. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2012
    Minecraft: It's your game. Want to build? Go ahead. Want to kill stuff? Go ahead. Want to build with friends while killing stuff? Go ahead. The great thing about Minecraft is it's like playing Lego with friends with monsters in real time. You do what you want and that's it. It's a open world sand box of a game that lets you do whatever you want especially with the huge modding communityMinecraft: It's your game. Want to build? Go ahead. Want to kill stuff? Go ahead. Want to build with friends while killing stuff? Go ahead. The great thing about Minecraft is it's like playing Lego with friends with monsters in real time. You do what you want and that's it. It's a open world sand box of a game that lets you do whatever you want especially with the huge modding community that exist. Expand
  25. Oct 29, 2011
    This is a very creative sndbox game, where everything exists of blocks. Except form creative and survival mode, you can also go online or download custom made adventure maps. Also you can customize your player skin and the way everything looks like.
  26. Nov 20, 2011
    Having been rather against Minecraft at the time of it's transfer into beta, I thought it would be a sensible idea to play the game and get some evidence on what it was really like. I was really expecting something bad. I was wrong. The game itself is brilliant - simple, yet complex. Endless hours have been spent mining, crafting, and mining more. Every world morphed into a brilliantHaving been rather against Minecraft at the time of it's transfer into beta, I thought it would be a sensible idea to play the game and get some evidence on what it was really like. I was really expecting something bad. I was wrong. The game itself is brilliant - simple, yet complex. Endless hours have been spent mining, crafting, and mining more. Every world morphed into a brilliant landscape by hand (or pickaxe). But what really makes me come back to this is that there is no set limit as to what you can do. Even when you defeat the Enderdragon on Release 1.0, you can still continue on and do yet more stuff. Even the ending titles are attractive. Sure, the graphics aren't as good as other games (unless you run a HD texture pack), and there are a few bugs here and there, but, for a game that's been having so much hype from the online community... it certainly provides... Expand
  27. Dec 1, 2011
    I picked up Minecraft well into the beta about nine months ago. Overall, I have been pleased overall with my gameplay experience. Minecraft has an insanely huge game world that lets you do whatever the heck you want. With a plethora of gamemodes and solid multiplayer, it is a great all around offering. Unfortunately this game is VERY demanding in terms of hardware, especially RAM.I picked up Minecraft well into the beta about nine months ago. Overall, I have been pleased overall with my gameplay experience. Minecraft has an insanely huge game world that lets you do whatever the heck you want. With a plethora of gamemodes and solid multiplayer, it is a great all around offering. Unfortunately this game is VERY demanding in terms of hardware, especially RAM. Don't even think about running this game with less than 4GB as it will be very laggy even at tiniest render distances, While there are various Java fixes that can be used to help you get the most out of the game, the steep RAM requirement keeps it from being as accessable and fun as it should be. However, if your computer has the minerals to run it, Minecraft is an innovative, top-notch experience that shouldn't be missed. Expand
  28. Mar 15, 2012
    Minecraft is an innovative game and a timesink of another world.
    It is what you make of it, and a great example of a game that keeps you interested through depth, instead of unlocks/achievements. - Especially multiplayer is very fun and interesting, as I can think of few games that'll build a feeling of community as this. Building entire worlds with other people is very satisfactory.
  29. Nov 18, 2011
    What a phenomenal game. Where to start... where to start. A game like Minecraft is unbelievable difficult to review, for one main reason: Minecraft is what you make of it. Literally. Minecraft requires devotion and care. It is a game of brilliance. It shines everywhere. The second reason reviewing this game is hard, is because this game has endless opportunities, and the amount of thingsWhat a phenomenal game. Where to start... where to start. A game like Minecraft is unbelievable difficult to review, for one main reason: Minecraft is what you make of it. Literally. Minecraft requires devotion and care. It is a game of brilliance. It shines everywhere. The second reason reviewing this game is hard, is because this game has endless opportunities, and the amount of things the developers could have included are /literally/ endless.

This is why Minecraft has a plugin system. It needs improvement, but its a very good start. Where can this game improve? It needs a main world for all minecrafters to explore, almost like World of Warcraft.

Reviewing this game will take ages, which is why I will put into a few main categories:
    -- Gameplay: 10
    -- Fun: 9.5
    -- Graphics: N/A
  30. Nov 18, 2011
    Minecraft is an amazing game. It is a game where you can literally build anything. Mountain in your way? Remove it. Want one somewhere else? Build it. Want a small cottage or a giant mountain? Your choice. Want to replicate the White House or an entire city? If you have the time, it can be done. Hell, want to build a computer inside Minecraft to do basic math? Dedicate A LOT of time toMinecraft is an amazing game. It is a game where you can literally build anything. Mountain in your way? Remove it. Want one somewhere else? Build it. Want a small cottage or a giant mountain? Your choice. Want to replicate the White House or an entire city? If you have the time, it can be done. Hell, want to build a computer inside Minecraft to do basic math? Dedicate A LOT of time to redstone. It's been done, and you can do it too. Enchanting, potions, secret doors, farming, smelting, mining, pet wolves, this game has everything. Not only this, with multiplayer, you can do this all with friends. Go off and do your own thing, build cities together, trade with gold and diamonds, discover strongholds and villages together...it's fantastic. And I'm not done yet. Don't like the graphics? Apply an HD texture pack with everything from custom items and grass textures to different clouds. You can make this game look however you want. Although the game needs more bugfixes and is far from perfect, it's overall the first game where you can just about do anything. Get it. Now. Expand
  31. Nov 24, 2011
    Still I don't see how this game gets "perfect" scores, because hosting multiplayer is a sincere pain and crafting is utterly tedious for newcomers.. But the fact that what it does, it does better than anyone else and that it is a PC game, it's pretty great. But not more than a 9/10 though, that's just the hype speaking.
  32. Nov 19, 2011
    Minecraft is not really a game. It's more like phenomenon. I can not really imagine person which has not heard of Minecraft. So far millions of people played it. I have watched it since January 2010 and first played it in November 2010. I have watched all the process of constructing and upgrading the game, and I guess I was one of the first thousand Poles who bought it. With thisMinecraft is not really a game. It's more like phenomenon. I can not really imagine person which has not heard of Minecraft. So far millions of people played it. I have watched it since January 2010 and first played it in November 2010. I have watched all the process of constructing and upgrading the game, and I guess I was one of the first thousand Poles who bought it. With this knowledge, i can really say it: alpha 1.2.6 was the best part of Minecraft, and it would deserve 10. But since then, adding incomplete stuff and ruining it's point have ruined it's final score, too. But, even therefore there's so many stupid and incomplete stuff (NPC's, villages, etc. etc.) I love it. I love it the damn outta it. It really is not a game; you can not say "Minecraft has bored me, I am leaving". You just open it sometimes and play. It's not like "I like it" or "I don't like it", since it's YOUR game. You decide what are you doing in your fantastic, randomly generated world and your own decision is, what you'll build, and what will you see. You can build, you can discover or you can kill everything in sight. Whatever you choose, it's your game and even if you don't like building, you can for example go and look for dungeons, and vice versa. It can never make you bored as if you'll get bored of something, you can always make something different. The point of my score (9 out of 10) is just because of Notch's decision to make it more RPG like than sandbox like. Yeah, you still can ignore villages and strongholds and keep building, but still it makes me feel like I'm playing incomplete Diablo clone than 100% complete, full and enjoyable sandbox game. I enjoyed 1.2.6 alpha more, but 1.0.0 release is still, by far, the most enjoyable game... ever made? Maybe. That's because the possibilities are endless. If I'll ever get bored of this game... I'll do something else in my beautiful world. Funny, how 9 out of 10 game is more enjoyable than games I've rated 10. And I feel really bad of having incomplete game as the release version. But now... back to my mine. Expand
  33. Nov 23, 2011
    amazing game, you should already know about it. not without its flaws, but probably the best building game i've played in YEARS. or maybe since legos.
  34. Nov 15, 2011
    Highly enjoyable, especially with modding capabilities, making it a go-to game if you're bored. Although, for a game with quite simple graphics, some computers might not handle the fun of this cube shaped piece of indie legend.
  35. Dec 1, 2011
    Minecraft is a very fun game that you can easily sink hours into. The game won't appeal to some people though, it, at its heart, is a game where all you do is build stuff. The "graphics" (textures in actuality) are low quality 16X16 pixels, but its the style of the game. I mean ponder, if you will, how a game like this will work with the number of polygons found in Battlefield 3, simpleMinecraft is a very fun game that you can easily sink hours into. The game won't appeal to some people though, it, at its heart, is a game where all you do is build stuff. The "graphics" (textures in actuality) are low quality 16X16 pixels, but its the style of the game. I mean ponder, if you will, how a game like this will work with the number of polygons found in Battlefield 3, simple answer, IT WON'T. And, yes, at times the combat feels broken, but that is a minor point considering if you don't like it, then plat on creative mode. But the game is a game easy to fall in love with, for me whenever i'm done with my homework, i find myself to tired to pop Skyrim into the Xbox, and not able to concentrate on a game of DOTA 2 (yes, i have a beta key) I load up Minecraft, and "wake up," as it where, a couple hours later, not really knowing what just happened. Single player is a great place to build giant machines, filled with tons of redstone (the "wires" of Minecraft) But multiplayer is where it's at hop on a good server with a nice community and have memorable experiences exploring a cave with a friend. Minecraft is a very fun and light game, not forcing anything of you 9/10. Expand
  36. Nov 23, 2011
    Addictive game and will keep you entertained for a long time but you will eventually get bored but that will be a long time coming, i have had it since a week after the launch of the beta and have seen every new addition and it has evolved enormously since the beta launched. The graphics are certainly unique and it surprisingly has excellent lighting effects, its a huge game and hasAddictive game and will keep you entertained for a long time but you will eventually get bored but that will be a long time coming, i have had it since a week after the launch of the beta and have seen every new addition and it has evolved enormously since the beta launched. The graphics are certainly unique and it surprisingly has excellent lighting effects, its a huge game and has limitless things to do, great value well worth the price. Expand
  37. Nov 20, 2011
    Yes, there are still bugs. Yes, the coding is messed up. But I give Minecraft a 10 out of 10 for it's replay value. I first played this game before the Halloween Update came out and I got hooked. I still play it every day. The reason people love this game is because they aren't rating the graphics, they are rating the fun, and that's how a game should be. Thank you Notch and the restYes, there are still bugs. Yes, the coding is messed up. But I give Minecraft a 10 out of 10 for it's replay value. I first played this game before the Halloween Update came out and I got hooked. I still play it every day. The reason people love this game is because they aren't rating the graphics, they are rating the fun, and that's how a game should be. Thank you Notch and the rest of the Mojang team for this masterpiece! Expand
  38. Nov 20, 2011
    Very Fun, yet simple game. Getting friends together, Getting some microphones, and collecting those precious resources to survive in your new habitat. mining for new materials, such as Gold, or Diamond, for making of the better tools, until you get the best of the best. then, it doesn't even end there! , until you finally have a tower 100 blocks high, and as far as the eye can see, youVery Fun, yet simple game. Getting friends together, Getting some microphones, and collecting those precious resources to survive in your new habitat. mining for new materials, such as Gold, or Diamond, for making of the better tools, until you get the best of the best. then, it doesn't even end there! , until you finally have a tower 100 blocks high, and as far as the eye can see, you dont end your journey! this game had me pre-occupied for hours upon hours This is truly and amazing adventure. BUT, it could be better. until it gets some sort of goal that needs achieving, such as a campaign, then that one point shall rest with me. I have faith, however, that soon enough there will a story line waiting for us. Expand
  39. May 9, 2013
    I don't understand the negativity towards this game. This may be the most inclusive game I have ever seen. There is something for everyone. If you like surviving in the wild, there is the survival game mode. If you like building, there is creative mode. If you like building complicated machines and working with wiring, there are modpacks such as Tekkit and Voltz. If you like PvP, there areI don't understand the negativity towards this game. This may be the most inclusive game I have ever seen. There is something for everyone. If you like surviving in the wild, there is the survival game mode. If you like building, there is creative mode. If you like building complicated machines and working with wiring, there are modpacks such as Tekkit and Voltz. If you like PvP, there are hundreds of Hunger Games servers, Search and Destroy servers, etc. If you like playing Call of Duty or Battlefield, there are servers for that as well. There are maps made for RPG play too. Anything you want to do in Minecraft, you can, so go buy this game as it is much less expensive than most other games. Expand
  40. Dec 6, 2011
    Minecraft is a genre in its own and manages to make tedious gameplay fun and exciting with a cool original look. Also its free if you download it, don't make an account, and play in offline mode :P
  41. Nov 21, 2011
    I love Minecraft. It's a great game, and it's ensnared me for almost as much as some of The Elder Scrolls games. It's gotten me through boring calculus lectures and has inspired my Halloween costume. With Minecraft finally being "released", it's interesting when you look back at what it was like when you started. I am going to review this in three different sections: Single Player,I love Minecraft. It's a great game, and it's ensnared me for almost as much as some of The Elder Scrolls games. It's gotten me through boring calculus lectures and has inspired my Halloween costume. With Minecraft finally being "released", it's interesting when you look back at what it was like when you started. I am going to review this in three different sections: Single Player, Creative Mode, and Multiplayer.

Single Player:

I started in the early-middle Beta (around Beta 1.3). It was a fun game, building a house to protect yourself from the horrors at night, mining deep down in to the earth to find iron, gold, or, if I was lucky, diamond. I died quite a bit from experimentation (Hint: Don't dig straight down. That lava is nasty stuff.) but I always kept playing. It's addicting. Even now, it's still great. Since I started, they've added new mobs (for those that don't know, mob is short for mobile), new enemies, new blocks, and new concepts. Instead of only caves to explore, there are now strongholds, abandoned mine shafts and more. It's a blast to play, trying to discover that next cave to explore and mine. The experience system is rather shallow and pointless (enchanting weapons is the only current purpose for those damn green orbs) and I prefer the days of no food bar, where you could simply eat food and your health healed depending on what you ate.

I have a few minor gripes with the single player, but they are easily overlooked. SP is, in my opinion, the best part of Minecraft.

Creative Mode:

Think of this as your canvas to build whatever you want. You have unlimited access to all the blocks and you can build to your heart's content. A castle, a giant Mario, an underground dungeon...it's all up to you. This is a fun, albeit rather boring at times, mode. It is good to experiment with, however. Creative mode helped me finally refine all the redstone circuits (complicated electrical stuff) and has helped me tap in to my inner Minecraft engineer. It's a good mode, but not something that can be played constantly. Multiplayer:

Everyone's experiences with multiplayer depends on what server you play on. I ultimately found it to be kind of boring, no matter if I was on a strict survival server, an RPG server, or just with some of my friends. There is only so much to do in multiplayer and, if you are on a server that is inhabited by many different players, it is likely someone else has already mined that cave you found, or has griefed (destroyed) your house while you were offline. This is the only reason I really gave Minecraft a 9.

Overall, Minecraft is a great game that will take your life away. You'll be obsessed with finding diamonds, caves, or beating that dragon. You'll find yourself crossing oceans just to find a wolf to follow you around. It's a great game that everyone should play.
  42. Nov 22, 2011
    Minecraft is a great game. Its not perfect, but a step in the right direction. everyone trolls about this game having bad graphics. It doesn't. Its a game of blocks. the textures are pixilated, but there's plenty of texture packs to fix this problem if your really worried about that sort of thing. the game plays well enough, tight controls and excellent crafting, but combat is veryMinecraft is a great game. Its not perfect, but a step in the right direction. everyone trolls about this game having bad graphics. It doesn't. Its a game of blocks. the textures are pixilated, but there's plenty of texture packs to fix this problem if your really worried about that sort of thing. the game plays well enough, tight controls and excellent crafting, but combat is very awkward. the main thing i actually have a problem with is the games bugs. there's a lot of them, and most are simply overlooked. but i cant say that these things have actually annoyed me that much. when your constantly basking in the game's beauty, you not worried about these things. you're thrust in this new world of mystery, you wake up, knowing nothing about the world around you, and you have to figure out whats going on. how to survive. once you do this, you'll be spend endless hours building in the infinite space that the game has. you'll know that the problems are there, but you wont care about them. you'll create your city, your empire. you'll find many ores and go to the nether, and once your done there, you discover the "End". and you'll realize the evil that this beautiful world has under its surface. and once you sit through the incredible and unique credits, you come back wanting more. Expand
  43. Nov 22, 2011
    Minecraft isn't a perfect game, but it is a great game. As some of the professional reviews have stated, it is a difficult game to sum up. It is a game that gives you a lot of freedom; you can build whatever you want out of (usually) cube-shaped items, fight a variety of monsters, craft potions and item enchantments, and/or explore a variety of randomly generated biomes, ruins, evenMinecraft isn't a perfect game, but it is a great game. As some of the professional reviews have stated, it is a difficult game to sum up. It is a game that gives you a lot of freedom; you can build whatever you want out of (usually) cube-shaped items, fight a variety of monsters, craft potions and item enchantments, and/or explore a variety of randomly generated biomes, ruins, even villages. Generally speaking, you can choose some of these activities and ignore others, or engage in all of them. The world technically has a limit, but it is so vast (eight times the surface area of Earth) you are extremely unlikely to ever hit the limit. Even if you did, you could simply generate a new world and start anew (without losing anything in your original save). There are currently two game modes: Creative and Survival. Creative gives you all of the materials and lets you freely build, while in Survival you have to worry about maintaining your health and manually collecting items. Regardless of mode, this is a game that is easy to find something to do, whether you only have a few minutes or a few hours. There is both single player and multiplayer available. If you are put off by the default graphics, there are many user-made texture packs available allowing you to choose a look you like. If you are looking for more features, there are also many mods available. Also, as of this writing, Mojang plans to continue releasing bug fixes and new content. It is also pretty friendly to lower-end computers compared to most high-profile games.

There are some notable shortcomings. There is no formal in game tutorial; you will probably want to get some help from other people or the Minecraft Wiki when trying Survival mode. Some features are only partially implemented at the moment; notably, the NPC villagers found in the villages cannot be interacted with currently. Multiplayer offers neither an in game server browser or matchmaker, meaning you will have to go through several steps you may not be used to to play with others. Modding isn't very user friendly either, and this is something that had been promised a long time ago. Mojang claims, however, that they still intend to address this. Even in the current release version (1.0.0), crashes are reasonably frequent for me; thankfully, the game does a good job of saving right before the crash and it is fairly painless to boot up the game again and re-enter the world. Perhaps the biggest criticism I have seen, however, is the absence of any formal goals. Some people have gotten bored of the game pretty quickly. Mojang has addressed this concern somewhat, but to get the most out of the game you will still need to set your own goals.

If you think you are at all interested in Minecraft, give Minecraft Classic a try. It is basically an outdated version of Creative mode you can play for free. It will give you some idea of what to expect. If you like it at all, I would encourage you to try the full game. I have enjoyed the game over much of the past year and I expect I will continue to enjoy it for some time to come.
  44. Nov 23, 2011
    With the variety of play modes, Minecraft makes itself attractive to more than just one type of gamer. Not only can one choose between "Classic" or "Adventure mode, but when playing the latter, one can choose to focus on being either a miner, explorer or adventure seeker (or why not just a little of each).
    With the new update (leaving beta), a whole new world of possibilities has opened up letting the player even choose to completing the game by going after the end boss.
    The only thing I'd want to see in Minecraft is more use of experience and level points, and also a bigger variety to what one can craft. Like why can't I make pizza?! ;-) And i'm looking forward to more game modes like CTF or Adventure (where one doesn't build, but runs through a pre-made level).
  45. Nov 24, 2011
    An amazing game. I haven't seen another game do anything like it (before this was released). There is an infinite amount of things you can do. A randomly generated world, with caverns, mines, towns, mountain ranges, swamps, you name it. It has many different modes but my favorite is survival. Cook food, hunt, build shelter, etc. My friend and I built a giant tower, a stone keep, a trainAn amazing game. I haven't seen another game do anything like it (before this was released). There is an infinite amount of things you can do. A randomly generated world, with caverns, mines, towns, mountain ranges, swamps, you name it. It has many different modes but my favorite is survival. Cook food, hunt, build shelter, etc. My friend and I built a giant tower, a stone keep, a train station, and much more. Build whatever you want, go cave exploring to find materials. Whatever you want to do, you can do. You'll never be bored. Expand
  46. Nov 26, 2011
    This game is very cool. Some people say the graphics sucks, but I think that's one of the special things, which makes minecraft so interesting. Only thing I hate is the missing mod-support.
  47. Nov 27, 2011
    I got minecraft in the early beta days, and up to now it remains to me addictive and entertaining. The pric e of the game is excellent for the amount of hours of gameplay you get from it. Even if you get bored of the vanilla game, there is a enormous modding community that will satisfy all your wants.

Survival and creation are the two main aspects of minecraft. In survival mode you gather resources and shelter your self from the evil of the night, monsters such as creepers, skeletons and zombies will ambush you throughout the game and you will need weaponry, defence and protection to fight back the threat. With enough resources, you can make anything you can imagine, following a isometric system that doesn't fail to dissapoint.

Creative mode is more of an extra feature, allowing you to build whatever you can think of. it doesn't give the ammount of satisfaction that survival gives, but is a great passtime and great for displaying creations to your friends and the community.

Dimensions in both modes add more depth to the game. The nether is a hellish hostile world with special resources necessary for projects such as glowstone, blaze rods and netherrack. The end ( also known as the Ender) is... well let me not ruin that for you ;)

Multiplayer is even better. it takes a while to get it running, and with bad connection servers can be quite laggy but playing with a friend is a new experience on itself.

The only issue i really have with minecraft is that i feel as if notch is making it feel a bit too constrained. In alpha and early beta, nothing really mattered and you just were there, but now it makes me feel as if i'm forced to follow a set amount of goals every time i start up a new world.

Still, minecraft doesn't fail to dissapoint me and millions of others. Minecraft is more than just a game. Its an experience and nothing is more satisfying than setting yourself a goal and achieving it.

I give minecraft a 9 for

+1 a lot of items and collectivity
    +1 ton's of replayability
    +1 Great bang for your buck
    +1 Redstone
    - 1 for feeling a bit forced to do things now.
  48. Dec 5, 2011
    Shut up about the grapics. this game is so good that it completely doesnt matter. its that fun. addicting, charming, exciting, AMAZING modders and so many add ons made by fans that there is are uncountable ways to play it. whether it be custom maps, adding new goals to the game, mods, adding awesome possibilities and heights to the fun, servers where you can survive with friends or live inShut up about the grapics. this game is so good that it completely doesnt matter. its that fun. addicting, charming, exciting, AMAZING modders and so many add ons made by fans that there is are uncountable ways to play it. whether it be custom maps, adding new goals to the game, mods, adding awesome possibilities and heights to the fun, servers where you can survive with friends or live in a minecraft multiplayer universe, or even texture packs changing the atmosphere of the game in a way you wouldnt expect. without the pixal like graphics, almost none of this could be seriously done. take skyrim mods for example. skyrim is awesome but mod for that compared to minecraft are very far behind. why? graphics and difficuly modability. and mojang has been working day and night to get you all the new updates for Gods sake. LOOK AT THE ENDER DRAGON! it looks awesome. the game is addicting and an awesome game, especially for an indie game. Expand
  49. Dec 5, 2011
    I probably enjoyed this game so much because I always liked making my own maps in other games, like Age of Empires. When I started hearing about a game where you could build anything, from a small cabin to a gigantic castle in hell, I immediately wanted it.You have to admit, Minecraft is not just a game any more; it is also a genre. Sandbox games have risen in popularity due to theirI probably enjoyed this game so much because I always liked making my own maps in other games, like Age of Empires. When I started hearing about a game where you could build anything, from a small cabin to a gigantic castle in hell, I immediately wanted it.You have to admit, Minecraft is not just a game any more; it is also a genre. Sandbox games have risen in popularity due to their open-ended nature. I have played at least 100 hours on Minecraft over 10 months. I love sandbox gameplay in general: build what you want, do what you want, it is your world to make. Minecraft revolutionized the genre and caused a host of games inspired by or copies of it due to its simple, yet addictive gameplay. I personally want to say I like building, but I always end up killing all enemies within 1000 blocks of my house. My only problem with Minecraft is that its combat system is too simple. While simplicity is one of the major positives of the game, I found combat lacking. Make a sword and that's it; easy enemies to fight. This is why I prefer Terraria, another great sandbox game people have mistaken;y called 2-d Minecraft. This one problem aside, Minecraft has to be one of my favorite games of all time, providing endless hours of gameplay (quite literally), nostalgic graphic style and the ability to craft your own world. Minecraft has taken the world by surprise, selling millions of copies with absolutely no real advertising. If you are on the fence on whether to buy this game, buy it. It is worth every penny. Expand
  50. Dec 7, 2011
    Although not high on graphics, this game offers a pleasing aesthetics that contributes to the theme of simplicity and tranquility of the game. Although it is a rather old genre, this title breathes new life into the sandbox genre, adding the element of adventure. Furthermore, the ability to apply mods and texture packs are a delight to any gamer. Utilizing the two main elements ofAlthough not high on graphics, this game offers a pleasing aesthetics that contributes to the theme of simplicity and tranquility of the game. Although it is a rather old genre, this title breathes new life into the sandbox genre, adding the element of adventure. Furthermore, the ability to apply mods and texture packs are a delight to any gamer. Utilizing the two main elements of "mining" and "crafting", Minecraft is a unique and suits all types of players: builders, explorers, or even a hybrid of the two. Expand
  51. Dec 12, 2011
    This game is what you make of it, creativity is fully utilized. I personally love this game and had since the alpha. While others may get bored of just building- it's not just building, it's so much more! Endless fun and creation. It may get boring if you don't have the right imagination or maybe it just isn't 'action packed' enough for you, and if that's the case, go on survival mode, pitThis game is what you make of it, creativity is fully utilized. I personally love this game and had since the alpha. While others may get bored of just building- it's not just building, it's so much more! Endless fun and creation. It may get boring if you don't have the right imagination or maybe it just isn't 'action packed' enough for you, and if that's the case, go on survival mode, pit it up to the highest difficulty, and enjoy surviving the hordes of enemies! I would of given it a solid 10/10 of it wasn't for the bugs and glitches that come up every so often, but it is definitely worth playing! I have had hours of fun already on minecraft and plan to have may more. That is my review for minecraft, and I'm going to go play it again now. Expand
  52. Dec 27, 2011
    I bought the game a few months back and really got into it. I was playing single player and the wide range of things you can do in the game is only limited to your imagination. Granted, the graphics are not that good, but with MODS, you can really visually play the game the way you like. After days of playing, I started to get bored, maybe that's just me. I tried a server, which you canI bought the game a few months back and really got into it. I was playing single player and the wide range of things you can do in the game is only limited to your imagination. Granted, the graphics are not that good, but with MODS, you can really visually play the game the way you like. After days of playing, I started to get bored, maybe that's just me. I tried a server, which you can play with other people, but it still was pretty much void of players. I think if you had a friend to play with, the game would be more interesting.

It is a great game for the creative mind type people, but lacks the social aspect of some other games out there.
    Overall, I would highly recommend this game to anyone who likes to create and has an artistic mind. It is allot of fun and should be a game to have in your library.
  53. Dec 28, 2011
    Minecraft proved to be the great game independent of year 2011, Minecraft is a game that explores the infinite creativity and puts the games back at the top of survival.
  54. Dec 31, 2011
    It really is hard to review Minecraft. Some people review it by how it is made. Some people review it by the concept of the game. I am going to review it by both. I am going to say it's a bad game if you think by how it was made. Many things aren't done yet, and there are still thousand of bugs. But it was made by 5 people, and they were being rushed by thousands. But I think that theIt really is hard to review Minecraft. Some people review it by how it is made. Some people review it by the concept of the game. I am going to review it by both. I am going to say it's a bad game if you think by how it was made. Many things aren't done yet, and there are still thousand of bugs. But it was made by 5 people, and they were being rushed by thousands. But I think that the concept of the game kind of weighs up that is was badly made. I have been playing it for about a year and a half, and I still enjoy it. The limitation really is your imagination. Most games give you the content. Minecraft gives you the tools. So people who wants to be served content shouldn't play this game. People who can give them their own content should play it. I'm gonna give Minecraft 9 in score, because I know how to play it. Expand
  55. Jan 3, 2012
    I was going to give this game a 10 but the block for 10 got blown up by a Creeper so it'll have to do with a 9+ A very fun game that is great for relaxing and planning vs the frantic intensity of an FPS or hack and slash of a dungeon crawl in Skyrim. This game is great for relaxing, and building something cool but also with the planning so your creation doesn't get destroyed. MinecraftI was going to give this game a 10 but the block for 10 got blown up by a Creeper so it'll have to do with a 9+ A very fun game that is great for relaxing and planning vs the frantic intensity of an FPS or hack and slash of a dungeon crawl in Skyrim. This game is great for relaxing, and building something cool but also with the planning so your creation doesn't get destroyed. Minecraft appeals to both the old school gamer and the new gamer, it's more of a thinking person's game but is also friendly to the casual gamer if you don't want to risk having your creations destroyed. All in all a fun and enjoyable game to play. Expand
  56. Feb 12, 2012
    *Virtual Lego's with bad graphics. That's all it is and it sells for over $25. It does nothing new, creative or original. I don't understand fads, never have and probably never will. What I do understand is people waste millions on them and later wonder what they were thinking. This is Minecraft.*

*This game is just terrible, its boring and it has the graphics of a calculator. I played games in the 80's that had better graphics than this. This is only a game for people who are sheep. Stay away from this Horrible, terrible game.*

Dear young gamers.
    Game's isnt about Graphics, they are for FUN.
    And why do you hate simply game where you can create massive building or something cool just because (nearly)everything looks blocks?
    Well, i gotta say this game gets boring after playing about 20hours and save(s) suddenly vanishes.
    This happened me 3 times, but i'll never gonna give up building!
  57. Jan 9, 2012
    I have played Minecraft since close to the end of Alpha, In the time between there and now it has changed quite a lot. For the good or for the worse is completely for you to decide. I'm fine with the way it wen't, From a building game of awesome to adding adventure elements to spice the game up it. A great Developer team who chat with the community all the time to some of the greatestI have played Minecraft since close to the end of Alpha, In the time between there and now it has changed quite a lot. For the good or for the worse is completely for you to decide. I'm fine with the way it wen't, From a building game of awesome to adding adventure elements to spice the game up it. A great Developer team who chat with the community all the time to some of the greatest support from the gaming community in a long time. I suggest that instead of reading these reviews you go over to YouTube and see what this game has to offer. As for myself, I will be playing Minecraft for a long, long time after this. Expand
  58. Mar 3, 2012
    I have had this game for about 6 months now and probably 2 of those months have been consumed by minecraft. i bought this in the early stages of 1.7 and when i first played it i was a bit confused on what to do, after many hours of looking on youtube for guides and tutorials i finally had a grasp on what to do, and i started to create my own kingdom. this game appeals to everyone as theI have had this game for about 6 months now and probably 2 of those months have been consumed by minecraft. i bought this in the early stages of 1.7 and when i first played it i was a bit confused on what to do, after many hours of looking on youtube for guides and tutorials i finally had a grasp on what to do, and i started to create my own kingdom. this game appeals to everyone as the creating and building appeals to a younger audience whilst survival and mining appeals to an older audience.But the game is nit without it's faults firstly it is difficult to some people to make a server to play with their friends as you need to port forward or download different pieces of software.Also every update comes with more bugs which can be annoying.
    Overall its a really fun game that keeps giving if your willing to put in the effort.
  59. Apr 1, 2012
    It's a fairly good game. The graphics don't bother me at all. I actually think that they give the game a unique quality. It's fun to roam around and just explore whatever you want. To build whatever you want to is also a very fun thing to do. Overall, pretty good game. Not the best sandbox game I've ever played, but certainly not the worst.
  60. Jan 21, 2012
    This game isn't perfect, but it's very fun. While Minecraft's main goal (defeat the Enderdragon) won't take that much time to complete, it's not necessarily the goal to focus on. The best part, I think, is the sandbox element. Take blocks that represent iron, water, sand, snow, etc. and make whatever you want. There are many devices to help you build just about anything imaginable. AThis game isn't perfect, but it's very fun. While Minecraft's main goal (defeat the Enderdragon) won't take that much time to complete, it's not necessarily the goal to focus on. The best part, I think, is the sandbox element. Take blocks that represent iron, water, sand, snow, etc. and make whatever you want. There are many devices to help you build just about anything imaginable. A great game for people who like to build things. Expand
  61. Jan 26, 2012
    When I read the negative reviews, I mostly see people complaining about how much fun the game was a year or 2 ago. They say it is boring and doesn't get updated anymore. BAH! I challenge these people to name 1 game they played for multiple years that wasn't a time sink, soul devouring MMO that they didn't get bored with after playing the heck out of it. I can't, they can't, you can't.When I read the negative reviews, I mostly see people complaining about how much fun the game was a year or 2 ago. They say it is boring and doesn't get updated anymore. BAH! I challenge these people to name 1 game they played for multiple years that wasn't a time sink, soul devouring MMO that they didn't get bored with after playing the heck out of it. I can't, they can't, you can't. The fact is, this game is fun. It takes you back to the days when creativity and imagination were enough to keep you entertained. So many of these kids nowadays are so cracked out on Mountain Dew and Call of Duty, that they forgot what using their own creativity feels like.

Minecraft is a game that you will buy and enjoy. A LOT. The world is your oyster in Minecraft. Want to build something magnificent? CHECK. Want to explore a new, random world every time you load? CHECK. Want to create weapons, machines, farm, raise livestock, fish, build your own world? CHECK. Want to explore caverns, search for rare gems/rocks, fight zombies & skeletons? CHECK. The point is, there is a lot to do, a lot to keep you entertained and it is worth every penny you will spend. What more do you want in a game? Truly, the only potential turnoff is the graphics. Some people will hate having a PC with a GTX 580 and playing a game that looks so archaic. I challenge those people to go DL a texture pack or just give it a shot. If you have any shred of imagination you will like this game.
  62. Jan 27, 2012
    First off, if you think this game sucks, you are one of the MOST stupidest people on the face of the Earth. I mean, there is nothing bad about Minecraft. When you first play the game, you generate a open world with trees, grass, sand, water, etc. Once you get some wood, that's when the REALLY starts to to get exiting. You build your own house, fight some monsters to get some resources andFirst off, if you think this game sucks, you are one of the MOST stupidest people on the face of the Earth. I mean, there is nothing bad about Minecraft. When you first play the game, you generate a open world with trees, grass, sand, water, etc. Once you get some wood, that's when the REALLY starts to to get exiting. You build your own house, fight some monsters to get some resources and many more. My only complaint about this game is the ending. The ending is just a 10 minute long story of text then its the credits. So I think that can be improved. Plus, the game updates every so often so you will never get bored. Definitely worth your both your time and money. Expand
  63. Oct 17, 2012
    17OCT2012 - At first I thought to myself "Why am I playing this crappy looking game?" Then about nine hours later I was addicted and asked myself "Why am I still playing this crappy looking game?" If your criteria for judging a video game is based on graphics then this game would receive a low score. However for fun and re-playability this game receives a perfect score. The world in17OCT2012 - At first I thought to myself "Why am I playing this crappy looking game?" Then about nine hours later I was addicted and asked myself "Why am I still playing this crappy looking game?" If your criteria for judging a video game is based on graphics then this game would receive a low score. However for fun and re-playability this game receives a perfect score. The world in Minecraft is massive. So massive that if you started running in one direction 24/7, you would reach the end of the world in a little over three months real time. With each patch the game gets better. Multiplayer is where the real fun is at. Cooperative gameplay or player vs player makes for a great LAN party game. Highly recommended. Expand
  64. May 31, 2014
    Good things: insane modability provides a great amount of content, multiplayer on MMO-scale on some servers, total creative freedom, entire worlds to explore and conquer with friends/enemies
    Bad things: It does get stale after a long time of playing it, the combat system sucks

If you buy it check out multiplayer, this is what pumps up the score, survival is only a small part of this delicious cake.
  65. Feb 5, 2012
    This game is amazing, Its just so strange that about 1 out of 3 people say the game is rubbish and boring. But beg to differ, Its in a genre of its own. This genre is what I call building-sandbox. It is the only game that actually saved creativity in gaming. Many of my friends say there is nothing special about the game, It aways annoys me, It is one of the most editable games in history.This game is amazing, Its just so strange that about 1 out of 3 people say the game is rubbish and boring. But beg to differ, Its in a genre of its own. This genre is what I call building-sandbox. It is the only game that actually saved creativity in gaming. Many of my friends say there is nothing special about the game, It aways annoys me, It is one of the most editable games in history. Plus, along with the amazing amount of content that games like COD and BF3 lack, Theres a whole nice community supporting it. It has a HUGE selection of Mods to choose from, Even a computer mod!!!! If you dont like the "rubbish and dull" Graphics that the game possesses, You can choose from a variety of texture packs! Even make your own! That is the one thing most reviews are missing When my friends say "ohh theres a New minecraft like game that has zombies in it!!!" all I say is "theres a modification for that!" Im surprized that they just ignore me.They also said, "theres a new game thats way better than minecraft that takes place on the moon!" Again they never knew this but heres one thing again, "theres a mod for that!" Yup, The mod community is basically endless, You can even Play adventure maps on it! No more need To buy New map packs that cost nearly as much as Minecraft itself,So minecraft is a money saver,However, every game has its flaws, just like every human has their flaws. The two bad things about the game is The game needs a STRONG computer,To run like the big games like COD and BF3. another flaw is the many bugs the game has, the good thing is, if you are a good JAVA programmer, You prob can fix the bug yourself! But many people that are reading this are not good programmers. A Unique Thing about the game is that some of the previous bugs had a personality Like the score bug where when Instead of showing a number, It showed a score of &e0 which I just ignored at first but Now I noticed that was a unique bug that was not nessisary to fix, That was a thing I am dissapointed about with minecraft, So overall, The game rates a 9 out of 10 But I want to soo badly Rate a 10. Expand
  66. Feb 12, 2012
    Create your own world in this simple and fun game. Although its clearly lacking in the graphics department, which is not of concern, this game lets you expand on any creativity you have to let you build your own world. I've wasted hours exploring, making houses, and surviving. You would be crazy not to buy this game.
  67. Feb 18, 2012
    Fantastic game. I have spent easily over 100 hours making huge castles and citys. In this game your only limited by your imagination! The mod support is fantastic you can get some of the coolest mods in any game. Only bad things is lately there hasn't been many new features, mods should be easier to install and turn on and off. Everyone giving this game 0 because of the graphics are stupidFantastic game. I have spent easily over 100 hours making huge castles and citys. In this game your only limited by your imagination! The mod support is fantastic you can get some of the coolest mods in any game. Only bad things is lately there hasn't been many new features, mods should be easier to install and turn on and off. Everyone giving this game 0 because of the graphics are stupid it was made by 1 person with very little money not Bethesda with 100's of millions of dollars Expand
  68. Mar 14, 2012
    This game Is absolutely revolutionary. However I cant give it a 10 because of the new pointless NPC villages and the new world generation. Still a great game though
  69. Mar 6, 2012
    Very hard to talk about as a game, which may be the 9/10. But I have put tons of hours into this and watched it evolve from alpha, to beta, to release and get better and better. A lot of fun if you like building stuff, if you are a MW3 fan, then you might want to stay away.
  70. Mar 7, 2012
    Excellent game that can be played in a variety of ways. While I find the survival aspects wear themselves out fairly quickly, the building aspect of the game is extremely fun, and is literally limited only by your own creativity and patience. The game is literally what you make of it.
  71. Mar 9, 2012
    Minecraft is a revolution. Its concept is simple yet so addictive. It was copied by Terrarria which is also pretty good. The 3D is pretty bad whn you look closely but from a distance it can create true masterpieces. Google them and you'll see. A really innovative game that is deserving of the success it got.
  72. Mar 23, 2012
    Minecraft is a game on survivalism. It teaches you the basics to survive in a world you spawn in.

What's great about this game: There's always something to accomplish every time you play!

What's not so great about this game: I can't sing "I'm on a Boat" when I'm actually on a boat correctly...

Would I recommend this game to a friend? Definitely.
  73. Mar 24, 2012
    Only recently started playing after noticing all the hype. Really addictive, rather clever and unique!
    So much creativity among the player base, i'm really enjoying it.
  74. Jan 9, 2013
    At first, my interpretation of Minecraft was... wait what? What am I doing? Then, as we went through Beta, I eventually got the hang of it. The lack of guides is there to intall a sense of community in the game and it's surely worked. The amount of things that you can do in the game are quite incredible and playing online (either via lan or on a server) is incredibly fun. It get's its highAt first, my interpretation of Minecraft was... wait what? What am I doing? Then, as we went through Beta, I eventually got the hang of it. The lack of guides is there to intall a sense of community in the game and it's surely worked. The amount of things that you can do in the game are quite incredible and playing online (either via lan or on a server) is incredibly fun. It get's its high score not for the gameplay, not for the aesthetics, but for the amount of things anyone can actually do. A game that gives you this much freedom is very much unseen in this day and age. Expand
  75. May 7, 2012
    The game is unfinished, however, I can't help but love this game. The simple yet fun premise, the large open area given to you, and the fact that there is almost no limit to the things you can create. And as much of a sheep as I may sound, I like a game that updates itself like this, it almost never gets old for me and there is always something new. I like this game, it's really fun, IThe game is unfinished, however, I can't help but love this game. The simple yet fun premise, the large open area given to you, and the fact that there is almost no limit to the things you can create. And as much of a sheep as I may sound, I like a game that updates itself like this, it almost never gets old for me and there is always something new. I like this game, it's really fun, I highly recommend it. Expand
  76. Apr 3, 2012
    This is a must-have game in my opinion because its a nice wind-down with peaceful music after playing a bit of battlefield 3. the multiplayer is so much fun with friends and the overall look and peaceful feel of the game is wonderful. who needs graphics?
  77. Apr 6, 2012
    Many people miss the point of what Minecraft truly is. Sure, Minecraft in of itself is a fun game that allows people to explore their imagination and build whatever comes to mind, but what has truly given Minecraft its significance over the years is it's fantastic community. No other community has been able to offer as much extra user-made content as this game. That's what really makesMany people miss the point of what Minecraft truly is. Sure, Minecraft in of itself is a fun game that allows people to explore their imagination and build whatever comes to mind, but what has truly given Minecraft its significance over the years is it's fantastic community. No other community has been able to offer as much extra user-made content as this game. That's what really makes Minecraft shine over other games. The game's simplicity allows you to do what you want with it. Expand
  78. Apr 14, 2012
    Minecraft is a great game but i dont play it mush because then minecraft gets boring but the only thing i miss is the old minecraft there are too much new stuff in the game but if youre new its a great great game
  79. Apr 16, 2012
    Minecraft does have its flaws but it has come a long way from the game I initially invested in and really that's how I viewed the game. It was a risk, I bought in just the other side of sight unseen and have been pleasantly surprised ever since. It has moved in a few directions I don't personally care for but most of those are easily avoided and forgiven. I have found myself somewhat boredMinecraft does have its flaws but it has come a long way from the game I initially invested in and really that's how I viewed the game. It was a risk, I bought in just the other side of sight unseen and have been pleasantly surprised ever since. It has moved in a few directions I don't personally care for but most of those are easily avoided and forgiven. I have found myself somewhat bored with the game at times but the redstone always draws me back. Expand
  80. Apr 29, 2013
    Minecraft is a block-based sandbox game where you can either gather resources, explore randomly-generated terrains and structures, and fight dangerous monsters in survival, or build something amazing in creative. You can also play and view other users creations with adventure mode. Minecraft has limitless potential, with so many features in counting. You can also utilise a small section ofMinecraft is a block-based sandbox game where you can either gather resources, explore randomly-generated terrains and structures, and fight dangerous monsters in survival, or build something amazing in creative. You can also play and view other users creations with adventure mode. Minecraft has limitless potential, with so many features in counting. You can also utilise a small section of features into something extraordinary. To see what has come with 3 years of development, I can't wait to see the future of Minecraft! The game can be a big glitch with certain features and graphical content, and for that reason, I score it a 9. Expand
  81. Apr 19, 2012
    Minecraft offers a somewhat simple experience in designing what you want with some adventure elements placed in. While there are some bugs, Minecraft excels in exactly what it advertised, the power for us to build to our heart's content. Despite this Minecraft feels somewhat incomplete though every block of it is still worth what you paid for.
  82. Apr 29, 2012
    The creativity is endless and the more you create, the more fun you will have. It's hard to really say that there is anything wrong with minecraft, because the game itself is essentially as good as you make it. You create your own experience in the game. It's loaded with content that is updated constantly and every bug that has ever been complained about has been fixed. Mods are endlessThe creativity is endless and the more you create, the more fun you will have. It's hard to really say that there is anything wrong with minecraft, because the game itself is essentially as good as you make it. You create your own experience in the game. It's loaded with content that is updated constantly and every bug that has ever been complained about has been fixed. Mods are endless and there's always something new to do. It's not the greatest game ever made, but it's up there and is possibly the greatest indie game ever made.

It by no means needs good graphics to excel. That's not what minecraft is about. And besides, if you have the computer power, you can always update your graphics with several various texture packs that can be found around the internet. Like I said, you create your own experience, so it's hard to really point something out that's not good. If the experience is bad, it is usually at the fault of the player, not the game.
  83. May 9, 2012
    Ok, I'll be perfectly honest, Minecraft is not perfect. It is a selective audience, Some people dislike minecraft for various reasons, i.e. They may of not have seen the full experience like multi-player (The best thing in minecraft also), different gamemodes, Or may of not of realized that this game was going to add better mod support or just don't like the gameplay.
    To me, it is an
    To me, it is an addictive game with survival elements, alongside creative and building elements. I'm sure alot of people would agree, but alot more wouldn't. Its a great game though, so give it a chance.
  84. Dec 12, 2013
    The PC version of "Minecraft" is fantastic. It's a brilliantly designed 3-D game. You can play by yourself and construct houses, explore caves and fight mobs. You can also play online and build together with your friends, PVP with other online players, or just explore the beauty of Minecraft together with friends. Definitely a recommended game for young and old.
  85. May 19, 2012
    This will/would be excellent game if it had just a bit more depth in content. Hope the guys at Mojang will get some decent advancements to get it even more interesting. The digging and building part of the game gets quite tedious after few dosen worlds. Multiplaying makes the world a bit more alive and more fun.

So.. waiting for updates and ultimately the upcoming awesome mods for this game!
  86. Jun 27, 2012
    Minecraft is, put simply, one of the greatest gaming experiences of its generation. For gaming enthusiasts everywhere, this is a must to have in your collection. You may be a Call of Duty guy, running FPS games all day, or you may be a Starcraft 2 kind of strategy guy. Or maybe an MMORPG WoW type of person, organising raids with fellow nerds - but Minecraft is the kind of game which bringsMinecraft is, put simply, one of the greatest gaming experiences of its generation. For gaming enthusiasts everywhere, this is a must to have in your collection. You may be a Call of Duty guy, running FPS games all day, or you may be a Starcraft 2 kind of strategy guy. Or maybe an MMORPG WoW type of person, organising raids with fellow nerds - but Minecraft is the kind of game which brings lovers of all genres together in one experience. In fact, that's the best way to describe it. It's more of an experience than a game, and an experience which is different to each unique user.

As an aside, the User Score for this game genuinely brings shame on the Metacritic system and undermines the point of a user based aggregate score. Trolls, go back under your respective rocks.

9/10 - A gaming experience not to be missed.
  87. May 22, 2012
    Minecraft is sandbox in its purest form. You can do whatever you want or follow its small story line to defeat the Ender Dragon. You decide. One of the most fun aspects of this game is manipulating the mechanics to create insane creations. Honestly there is nothing that annoys me about this game besides that it has consumed many hours of my life. I'm giving it a 9 instead of 10 onlyMinecraft is sandbox in its purest form. You can do whatever you want or follow its small story line to defeat the Ender Dragon. You decide. One of the most fun aspects of this game is manipulating the mechanics to create insane creations. Honestly there is nothing that annoys me about this game besides that it has consumed many hours of my life. I'm giving it a 9 instead of 10 only because for those that don't have the sandbox mentality it is difficult to understand this game. It is pure sandbox and some gamers would like at least a little direction while playing. Expand
  88. Jun 4, 2012
    One of the most brilliant game ideas ever. The world is infinitely sized, and every small change you make to any small block in this world persists. Every structure you build, everything that is made. Put that on multiplayer and you literally have cities of creation. The underground is huge to explore, digging tunnels and discovering things is sick. The crafting system and incentive toOne of the most brilliant game ideas ever. The world is infinitely sized, and every small change you make to any small block in this world persists. Every structure you build, everything that is made. Put that on multiplayer and you literally have cities of creation. The underground is huge to explore, digging tunnels and discovering things is sick. The crafting system and incentive to find minerals add tons of longevity to the game, and goals. You must have a creative mind to grasp this game, there are no "quests", you are simply but into an infinite world to interact with it as you wish. People not finding entertainment in this just goes to show they have no imagination or creativity whatsoever and they are themselves unable to forge an epic experience from the never seen before sandbox that has been given to them. This game has blown my mind. The point lost is due to the unfortunate lack of quality in character control and mechanics and lack of polish in many areas of the game, had it been taken more seriously or made by a more professional team. Thirdly, the game could have run much faster if better coded. Expand
  89. Jun 10, 2012
    Some people hate the game. I seriously don't know why. Its a fun game were you can do pretty much anything you want. Anyways its a very good game and mabye play the game for more than 5 minutes before you rate it.
  90. Sep 26, 2012
    Where to begin on this incredible sandbox game? If you can picture Legos in a survival dimension against pixel monsters and the ability to fight them or avoid them in various ways, you'd be grazing the tip of the iceberg that is Minecraft. Literally this game has no specific "goal." Some players would argue otherwise, but really, the point of Minecraft is pure creativity. It doesn'tWhere to begin on this incredible sandbox game? If you can picture Legos in a survival dimension against pixel monsters and the ability to fight them or avoid them in various ways, you'd be grazing the tip of the iceberg that is Minecraft. Literally this game has no specific "goal." Some players would argue otherwise, but really, the point of Minecraft is pure creativity. It doesn't get better than being able to build a house, dig for materials to build said house, and fend off various monsters in the night! Whether you're having a peaceful building game where you construct whatever your mind can fathom or you're surviving by the skin of your teeth in hardcore mode, Minecraft is sure to give a new experience every time you play it. How awesome is this! But how could Mojang (the developers) make it better? Multiplayer? You mean I can now build and/or survive with my best friends? I can either ally myself with them or fight against them as I see fit? This game is incredible. Literally, Minecraft comes to a new level as it employs a wonderful multiplayer experience with other players. Combining creativity and ingenuity together as you build the ultimate creation! What will your mind(s) think of next? My only negative is that the price for the game has consistently increased since the time I bought my copy in Alpha. What was $5 is now almost $30. I wouldn't give a game like this that high of a price, but Mojang has to make money in some way and some respect is deserved there. Definitely loads of fun for any creative gamer and something I will say should be in your gaming library even if you only play it on a rainy day! Expand
  91. Jul 22, 2012
    First of all, U780, sure it's full of bugs, he will fix them you fool. The game is still updating, so your review is quite dumb. Npcs will have a use, the graphics do suck, but they have a unique style to it. If you don't like it, go play your Call Of Duty Games. UMad? There are attack animations, and some of your points are very exaggerated. Survival Mode is what it is. Try to look atFirst of all, U780, sure it's full of bugs, he will fix them you fool. The game is still updating, so your review is quite dumb. Npcs will have a use, the graphics do suck, but they have a unique style to it. If you don't like it, go play your Call Of Duty Games. UMad? There are attack animations, and some of your points are very exaggerated. Survival Mode is what it is. Try to look at the good side and also, This is game is totally worth it for $20.00 and also he fixed many bugs. Most of you say "the critics are stupid" BLAH BLAH BLAH *all haters start drooling*. The critics appreciate it but you COD fans don't. If you don't have creativity stay away. IDIOTS Expand
  92. Aug 29, 2012
    This game shows what can happen when creativity and popularity happen. It has all the makings of a good simulator, with the developer support every good game needs. With beta tests you can download weekly that shows off new items and mobs, you can see Mojang has no plans on slowing down.

The basis of the game is simple. Create. With three difficulty level, a Hardcore mode, and a creative building mode, it is easy to jump in and play however you want, and with new console commands, be able between modes easily.

There is a little story to minecraft, albeit hard to find. A single boss awaits at the endgame level, but getting to him is hard and only found by those who search for him. New patches add more reasons to go and find him, and more bosses are planned, but with no tutorial, a new player is easily lost.

However, the best thing about minecraft is not the game, but the content. It may have been released a while back, but the new content continues to fly out Mojangs door. Many complain of the bugs in the game, but that is to be expected with new content. There never seems to be an end to the content, although the wait time between patches is long.

In the end, Minecraft will get you addicted for a week, until you finish that huge project. Then a new patch will come out, and you'll be playing again.
  93. Sep 29, 2012
    There is a very special feeling you get when first playing Minecraft. The simple sense of adventure and discovery is strong at your first stages. After knowing everything, you get interested in finding ores and resources, diamond especially. Then after having a nice amount of resources, you finally decide to use your imagination at it's near peak and build something creative, amazing andThere is a very special feeling you get when first playing Minecraft. The simple sense of adventure and discovery is strong at your first stages. After knowing everything, you get interested in finding ores and resources, diamond especially. Then after having a nice amount of resources, you finally decide to use your imagination at it's near peak and build something creative, amazing and colossal. If you stop playing Minecraft after this stage then your imagination has nothing to give to this massive world of blocks, filled with possibilities. (Plus there are mods to add to the experience). Expand
  94. Feb 12, 2013
    The best way to describe Minecraft is a piece of paper. You may look at it and say there's nothing to do here but you can also say there's everything to do here. There are little if any limits of what Minecraft can achieve. A sandbox experience like no other.
  95. Nov 8, 2012
    Minecraft is an amazing game. Infinite, procedurally-generated terrain, that makes the game never ending and forever entertaining. It gives you the opportunity to build anything and everything, except circles. It has redstone that allows for circuitry to make amazing machines, survival version to make it challenging, and an almost infinite modding capability for those who figure it out.
  96. Nov 27, 2012
    It's really hard to review a game like Minecraft because Minecraft is a game of what you make of it. The only limits in this game are the limits of your own imagination. Graphically, in Vanillia, it's hard to rate. The simple blocky graphics are charming and endearing to some (myself included) whereas super ugly to others. But if you find the vanillia graphics ugly, download andIt's really hard to review a game like Minecraft because Minecraft is a game of what you make of it. The only limits in this game are the limits of your own imagination. Graphically, in Vanillia, it's hard to rate. The simple blocky graphics are charming and endearing to some (myself included) whereas super ugly to others. But if you find the vanillia graphics ugly, download and install one of the plethora of user made texture packs. I guess it is easy to criticize the simple combat mechanices, but again, this game is what you make of it. Most Minecraft hardcores don't play the game to have a fight, we play the game to build and socialize (if playing on a server). Any review is going to be 100% biased based on the users personal experience with the game. What I'm trying to get across is don't listen to any of these reviews. If you're interested, buy the game and play it for yourself, and create your own experience. This game is a breath of fresh air in today's gaming industry, and I can wholeheartedly recommend that you at least give it a try. Expand
  97. Dec 10, 2012
    This game expands the creativity of the gamer to a whole new, breathtaking level. It has great music, controls, and a simple design. You can build anything you want and it makes you feel all the better because you made it, you earned it, you work for it.
  98. Mar 26, 2013
    It's a wonderful sight to see another indie game shoot up to the top of the gaming industry, and Minecraft is no exception. This is a definite buy for any gamer, as it provides something unique to the open-world RPG/ adventure genre. The sky is the limit!

Off the mark, most people will know Minecraft for its unique graphical style. Blocks make up every object in this game, and the simple, yet brilliant art-style ties straight into the core gameplay. Running Minecraft is easy- the requirements are extremely low, and with a good gaming PC, I've run this game at well over two-hundred frames per second (that's fast). However: Minecraft is not brilliantly optimised due to its low budget, so expect some very major slowdown when you crank up the settings. 9/10

In the way of story- there is no definite experience. Your story will be personal to you alone, and nobody's adventures will be quite the same, although there isn't a way of tracking what you've done so far by means of recording gameplay, a feature which many people would enjoy. 9/10

The game has a very distinct sound design, which delivers around five or six memorable tracks that play at random intervals. An introduction of some new pieces would be nice to hear, though, as the repeating soundtrack can begin to go stale after a while. Sound effects are also good, but their repetitiveness sours the aural experience a fair amount. 7.5/10

But where Minecraft excels the most is in gameplay. When a player first starts their Survival Mode world, they'll have to chop down trees, craft a crafting table and quickly get to work crafting objects and tools to keep them alive, and safe from the evil enemy "mobs" such as exploding Creepers or bow-wielding Skeletons that attack at night. From here on in, the player is left to do basically anything they want, mining underground for better resources with crafted tools, farming plants and animals to eat and pet, and creating almost anything imaginable with blocks. Minecraft is a completely open world, there for players to explore and adore. 10/10

And if the stellar singleplayer wasn't enough, a multiplayer mode is also available too! This holds the most issues in the game, but will last you even more time. All the servers in Minecraft are private, meaning that you'll have to look up which games are free, type in the IP address of the server, and only then be able to play games. The process is frustrating, and so is making a server (which is free, but needs downloads and looking up to be able to make one), but it pays off when you finally get a game. There are varying player versus player and co-op gametypes that will keep you and your friends entertained together, and all can be found on the Internet. The addition of voice chat would be welcomed, and it isn't yet in the game as of the time this review was written, but a chat bar is sufficient enough. Overall, though, Minecraft is a stand-out multiplayer game. 8.5/10

Altogether, Minecraft is a brilliant must-buy for gamers of any age, and really brings something new to the table. Updates are common, and they give definite improvements every time, the art style is great, the gameplay is unique and the game can literally be played forever. Minecraft easily earns a 9/10.
  99. Dec 22, 2012
    Proud to be playing since Alpha builds! A true inspiration to any indie developers. This has truly embraced open sandbox, you can literally do whatever you want, I've spent days on this just building with the blocks they give you, using survival techniques to build your house, or using the brilliant redstone mechanics to create new contraptions, worth your money, I'd buy it again if onlyProud to be playing since Alpha builds! A true inspiration to any indie developers. This has truly embraced open sandbox, you can literally do whatever you want, I've spent days on this just building with the blocks they give you, using survival techniques to build your house, or using the brilliant redstone mechanics to create new contraptions, worth your money, I'd buy it again if only to support Mojang. Only a lost point on unnecessary recent updates, and leaving the game un-optimized in Java (They didn't lose a point for that as it would be an unfair judgement). Expand
  100. Dec 31, 2012
    This game is truly a wonder of 8-bit gaming, I mean who doesn't like donkey kong or super mario bros? If you want an older 8-bit feel with a touch of 3D than this is the game for you, easy to learn and the mobs are easy to fight, plenty of mods to make the game better. The only problem ive had with it is it gets boring after awhile, but all games do.

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]