8.1

1. Aug 19, 2013
    It's a bit overrated with the jumping. I've counted more elevators, air-vents and getting shot than actual jumping and free running. The parkour elements are very well done, whole 30 seconds of them, because you spend next 2 minutes in 2 by 2 meters rooms and corridors following pre-defined path.
  2. AnonymousMC
    Jan 21, 2009
    Pretty engine, great idea, awful execution. Detection for grabbing ladders or edges tends to fail inexplicably and the puzzles (ie trying to figure out where to go next) are mostly frustrating. Game is fun when you're flowing through levels, but the frequent combat scenes and puzzles are speed bumps, as well as the inevitable frequent deaths (either because Faith refused to grab thePretty engine, great idea, awful execution. Detection for grabbing ladders or edges tends to fail inexplicably and the puzzles (ie trying to figure out where to go next) are mostly frustrating. Game is fun when you're flowing through levels, but the frequent combat scenes and puzzles are speed bumps, as well as the inevitable frequent deaths (either because Faith refused to grab the ledge you jumped into or she just felt like not wall running at the time etc) Expand
  3. Mar 4, 2012
    It's a little difficult to get the hang of the controls, but as you're learning people are shooting at you and chasing you. No time to think or look around. Just run someplace that looks good - jump and plummet to your death or get shot. Next time run a different direction. After several deaths you may figure out where you need to go and how to get there. No fun.
  4. Jul 23, 2012
    Funny at first, but it got boring pretty quickly. After you get used to the controls it is really cool running around and jump from roof to roof. It becomes "more exciting" when a bunch of police men starts shooting at you. And also a little frustrating, because it is not always instantly obvious where you have to go, especially when the game mechanic hinders your way and you think "OK,Funny at first, but it got boring pretty quickly. After you get used to the controls it is really cool running around and jump from roof to roof. It becomes "more exciting" when a bunch of police men starts shooting at you. And also a little frustrating, because it is not always instantly obvious where you have to go, especially when the game mechanic hinders your way and you think "OK, this must be wrong way" but actually it was the right choice. Happened a few times. Also the fact that you better should (or actually have to) run from everyone, instead of taking down at least one or two police men to get you some space, was quite disturbing. But in the end the most boring part was the repetitiveness of the levels. Running mostly on top of roofs, every level looks actually the same and the game does not much to alternate your experience. Expand
  5. Urh
    May 25, 2011
    I would really like to know who thought a first-person perspective platform game was a good idea (let's not kid ourselves, this is exactly what Mirror's Edge is). EA and DICE should at least be praised for trying something new in an industry that is stagnating due to chronic risk-aversion, but these new ideas really should at least be vetted before they get into development. As a result,I would really like to know who thought a first-person perspective platform game was a good idea (let's not kid ourselves, this is exactly what Mirror's Edge is). EA and DICE should at least be praised for trying something new in an industry that is stagnating due to chronic risk-aversion, but these new ideas really should at least be vetted before they get into development. As a result, we have a game which is flawed on a very fundamental level.

The gameplay is where Mirror's Edge falls apart, and on quite a spectacular level to boot. The game entirely relies upon "leap of faith" gameplay, and you know what that means. Your character will die many, many painful deaths. While chase sequences with armed security guards do add a sense of urgency and tension, these chases fall apart on two levels. Firstly, the guards couldn't hit the side of a barn with a shotgun - which is necessary, as otherwise the chases would end before they start with you lying in a pool of your own blood. Secondly, there are many sequences where you have no choice but to engage guards in hand-to-hand combat, which brings me to the second major gameplay failing of Mirror's Edge. Granted, melee combat is a tricky thing to implement in a first-person perspective game, but I honestly cannot recall a sloppier implementation in recent memory. You may very well find yourself passing some of these combat sequences out of sheer luck rather than through any skill on your part.

As for the visuals, well, they certainly are unique, but in a bad way. I can't remember the last time I found myself squinting at my monitor. Some sections were quite literally painful for me to look at. My impression of the overall aesthetic design was that it was sterile, verging on the utterly lifeless. To me it feels like a horrible fusion of "real-world" and cel-shading which just doesn't work.

In conclusion, the only good thing to have come out of Mirror's Edge is a lawsuit which may very well end nearly two decades of persistent copyright trolling by Tim Langdell.
  6. PaulA
    Jan 21, 2009
    This was a really exciting game at first until I realised that there is no depth to the gameplay all you do is climb stuff over and over and over and over and over again to get to the next area. The combat system could barely be used..... waste of money imho.
  7. ArdaG
    Jan 17, 2009
    Disappointing. When you get used to slickness and the precision of Prince of Persia controls, Mirror's Edge becomes a chunky and crappy console port. Story and setting is unimaginative. Gameplay is mediocre at best, nothing ground breaking or "new", just e general copy of freerunning games such as Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia or other indie games. Plus all of that, game is Disappointing. When you get used to slickness and the precision of Prince of Persia controls, Mirror's Edge becomes a chunky and crappy console port. Story and setting is unimaginative. Gameplay is mediocre at best, nothing ground breaking or "new", just e general copy of freerunning games such as Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia or other indie games. Plus all of that, game is short, not worth the $50 tag, maybe 20$ at best. It's a nice experiment from DICE and EA, but nothing is really innovative or groundbreaking about this game. Expand
  8. Aug 15, 2011
    Jugar a Mirror's Edge es una experiencia contradictoria. Mientras que se agradecen las nuevas ideas, la mecÃ
  9. Mar 3, 2011
    One of the worst games I have ever played.
    The combat is sticky and messy, it doesn't know whether to dump retaliation or go with it. YOU HAVE TO PICK ONE!
    You can't see your feet, making it hard to judge jump's.
    The character's aren't at all likeable
    And the plot is full of holes.

Stay away from this one.
  10. Aug 23, 2012
    One of the worst games I've ever played, horrible carachter (luckily you'll never see her), terrible game design, sloppy graphics and colors, boring story, appaling and unplayable gameplay. This game costs today 2
  11. YanoZ
    Dec 1, 2009
    If you are looking for an epic RPG or FPS... You are out of luck.... This game involves nothing more than running around and doing jumps. The graphics are neat looking I can only say but sure not top notch rendering, You are in the middle of simple colored huge geometric shapes, nothing more again... What's even more frustrating is the game is full of glitches. All patched to the If you are looking for an epic RPG or FPS... You are out of luck.... This game involves nothing more than running around and doing jumps. The graphics are neat looking I can only say but sure not top notch rendering, You are in the middle of simple colored huge geometric shapes, nothing more again... What's even more frustrating is the game is full of glitches. All patched to the latest version on STEAM, but you keeping getting little errors like running into a door and getting stuck behind it... For FPS fans out there, the weapon controls are ridiculous and you start out getting a pistol and you have to stick with it for a long time... Expand
  12. JamesM
    Jan 15, 2009
    This game was a 9, at least, when I first started playing it, but once the swat team showed up on the 2nd level, the game became so choppy that it was unplayable. That is unacceptable considering I have a 1 GB Geforce 9600 and 4 Gigs of Ram.
  13. TamirF
    Dec 11, 2009
    LIke others said, nothing but running around, jump, and killing some guards. a short game, no multiplayer, and its not worth the 20$. I had some fun moments, thats why its a 2 and not a 0
  14. KenVeto
    Jan 28, 2009
    This would be a great game for a 15 yr old boy high on crack! I'm in my 50's. I could not play the game very successfully. There are no hints and I got stuck on the first assignment out of training and could not complete it. Also, there is no way to save one's progress, so one has to duplicate moves over and over until one gets past a certain point.
  15. Jan 11, 2013
    First, this is a great platformer, many of the levels are actually well designed and it makes you think a lot, the graphics and sounds are also top-notch and it has a great art style. Sadly there are a few cons to this game though. The storyline is questionable as you have a save a person who you do not feel connected with as she has not the necessary back-story let alone any realFirst, this is a great platformer, many of the levels are actually well designed and it makes you think a lot, the graphics and sounds are also top-notch and it has a great art style. Sadly there are a few cons to this game though. The storyline is questionable as you have a save a person who you do not feel connected with as she has not the necessary back-story let alone any real character development, this results in the ending being an "ok...it's over" thing without much emotion. In-fact, all the action and challenge in the game made me feel much more emotional. That would be a good thing if it was not for two certain problem which grinded my gears. AUTO-GRAB which you cannot turn off. AUTO-TARGET-LOCK which you cannot turn off. For what fun I had in this game, these two things f*cked me over and made me hate the game the longer I played it. Want to drop to your death! Oh, we'll just do auto-grab and make you waste your time. WHY DOES IT EXIST. IT DOESN'T EVEN WORK ALL THE TIME which makes it worse. When it does work, sometimes you end up jumping to your death or something which is another reason why it's f**ing stupid. Oh, and the last cut-scene looked horrible. I felt kinda sad to see the two characters embracing...at rather **** quality (this was the only bad-looking scene in the entire game)....what's more was it was....jittery. I just wish they hadn't ruined this great game over a few simple things. Expand
  16. Mar 25, 2013
    This one is a fairly hard one to explain. I'l start with my main issue(s) with this game. First of all, the fact that there's way way way way WAY too much shooting. Its horrible how the "masterminds" decided to let you pick up guns in the first place, considering that it ruins the game due to how poorly the FPS segments were designed. Okay, 4 pursuers, shoot half of them or just run andThis one is a fairly hard one to explain. I'l start with my main issue(s) with this game. First of all, the fact that there's way way way way WAY too much shooting. Its horrible how the "masterminds" decided to let you pick up guns in the first place, considering that it ruins the game due to how poorly the FPS segments were designed. Okay, 4 pursuers, shoot half of them or just run and take bullets to the back. I also did not care for the map design. It had some good points, like assorted cars you can see driving around and slightly varied buildings (not really though), but the map is the design equivelent of the FPS segments. But they ruined it by giving you too much or too little direction to go, you see, things light up red when you can use them for parkour, on one mission, you have to jump across a helicopter by the landing supports that are red, but its not hard too realize that that's where you have to jump, because its red, like pretty much everything else anyway. Expand
  17. Nov 27, 2012
    I saw this game on one of EA's holiday "sales" this year marked as $20 retail value and felt compelled to create a metacritic review for my very first time in a desperate attempt to set the record straight before hapless holiday shoppers waste a dime on such a hollow, contrived piece of garbage. I was willing to let the $2.50 I spent on it go down the drain without another ill word spoken,I saw this game on one of EA's holiday "sales" this year marked as $20 retail value and felt compelled to create a metacritic review for my very first time in a desperate attempt to set the record straight before hapless holiday shoppers waste a dime on such a hollow, contrived piece of garbage. I was willing to let the $2.50 I spent on it go down the drain without another ill word spoken, but it doesn't feel right to let other people get suckered. To be honest, I've never weighed in on any online review board, because I honestly feel like someone has always said about what I would have said already, and people have better things to do than read the same stuff dressed up differently.

But this game changed that.

I got this game for an almost trivial amount of money, but that doesn't quite offset how ripped off I feel in regards to the value of my time playing it. I can honestly say that out of 50 or so games on Steam and hundreds played across all platforms since the 80's that this legitimately clocks in as one of my very short list of games I regret purchasing. In fact, I honestly couldn't find through any of my game libraries or childhood recollections another instance of a game that makes me shudder when I think about playing it. I struggled to finish what ended up being around a 4-hour run of the game to beat it. I didn't struggle because it was difficult. I struggled because it was awful to play. Almost nothing of what this game claims to do originally holds up to scrutiny, and even ignoring that, the execution also falls flat on it's face.

I can't understand why this game has such high reviews. Every negative review I read of this game was right on the money. It's a dressed up platformer with terrible controls and dolled up in a sleek presentation that ultimately feels like a spurious attempt at elegance when in reality it was corner cutting for GPU load. I can see how the initial idea generated the hype it did. From the female protagonist, futuristic design and art style, and other different-enough-to-be-neat aspects, it can be easy to let the hype gloss over reality quite a bit. But at it's core, in retrospect, I think we could probably all look back and agree that it wasn't quite the diamond in the rough it was promised to be. It was more like the piece of coal among other diamonds of the time. The fact is that I'm writing a review of the PC game years after the fact and hoping that someone like me runs across this and hesitates. It was that bad. Don't be a sucker. It's 2012. You have better games to play for cheaper, and it's been sold for $2.50.
  18. May 12, 2013
    This game is hard even on easy and insanely frustrating particularly chapter 8. You will die a lot. Fortunately the game is short. On the positive side I liked the music.
  19. Jul 16, 2014
    I don't get the appeal of this game. I can see that it's relatively well made, but it's just not fun. For a running game, the running speed is very slow and almost feels like walking. It's not fast-paced at all. The controls are mediocre at best and the save points are horribly placed. Way too often, you have to try and die to find the right way and it becomes boring incredibly fast.
  20. Jul 24, 2014
    The concept of a game where you get to run across rooftops parkour-style while combating bad guys is great. However, this game is absolutely infuriating. You die. Again and again. Which isn't helped by the save games being miles away from where you just died. I presume that they want a level to appear fluid and effortless but that assumes you know what you're supposed to do. Which youThe concept of a game where you get to run across rooftops parkour-style while combating bad guys is great. However, this game is absolutely infuriating. You die. Again and again. Which isn't helped by the save games being miles away from where you just died. I presume that they want a level to appear fluid and effortless but that assumes you know what you're supposed to do. Which you don't. So you get shot, or fall to your death, or reach a dead end.

I gave up after chapter 4. It's simply not enjoyable and the storyline is poor. Hence during chapter 4 I found myself asking "Why am I playing this?". I couldn't come up with an answer. I realised I didn't care, at all, about the outcome. So I quit and uninstalled it.
  21. Oct 19, 2014
    There was so much potential, but with worthless gameplay mechanics and horribly stiff linear format it hardly shines. The concept alone(first person parkour) should have had them strive for greatness instead of settling for the mediocrity that was basically "jump in this specific way on this specific wall to get to this specific platform or you die, and the respawn but have to wait 20There was so much potential, but with worthless gameplay mechanics and horribly stiff linear format it hardly shines. The concept alone(first person parkour) should have had them strive for greatness instead of settling for the mediocrity that was basically "jump in this specific way on this specific wall to get to this specific platform or you die, and the respawn but have to wait 20 seconds for the elevator to open to try again". It's not like the challenges were imaginative, just frustratingly strict, which made me quit after jumping at the same wall 15 times and only once getting to the goal. It is basically Portal with no puzzles and letting you wall run instead. Combat is almost as atrocious as the voice acting and plot, which might have had any of those as a saving grace. Not to mention that the controller setup, which you can barely modify, is nothing like any first person anything so it made initial play buggy. The only reason it got 1 point was because I luckily only paid $2.49 for it and felt I got about that much worth of gameplay out of it. Save you time and money. Expand
  22. Nov 17, 2013
    A visually stunning game with a very unique concept. However, this game is more of a really long demo. The game mechanics make it almost impossible to not get frustrated while falling hundreds of feet over and over again. The first hour was very exciting but after that I felt like the game was on repeat. I must give the developers credit for trying something new and creating a very uniqueA visually stunning game with a very unique concept. However, this game is more of a really long demo. The game mechanics make it almost impossible to not get frustrated while falling hundreds of feet over and over again. The first hour was very exciting but after that I felt like the game was on repeat. I must give the developers credit for trying something new and creating a very unique world. I just wish it was shorter and cheaper (at the time of its release).

The game play itself is extremely basic and extremely repetitive. Nothing substantial ever actually happens. The story is sorta interesting but not interesting enough to keep the game afloat.
  23. Oct 3, 2013
    It's a game about running.. yyyaayyy... I bought this on sale for $5, and now I wish I had bought a cheeseburger instead. The controls are blocky, frustrating, and often non-functional garbage. I normally worship any game that takes advantage of NVIDIA PhysX, but this is entirely offset by the fact that everything in the game looks exactly the same, and only three colors ever appear onIt's a game about running.. yyyaayyy... I bought this on sale for $5, and now I wish I had bought a cheeseburger instead. The controls are blocky, frustrating, and often non-functional garbage. I normally worship any game that takes advantage of NVIDIA PhysX, but this is entirely offset by the fact that everything in the game looks exactly the same, and only three colors ever appear on your screen at one time. Also, this game isn't supported by Geforce Experience anyways. The first person view actually makes the game much less playable, as most of the jumps have to be made at the last possible moment. That means either you jump too early and miss the ledge, or you jump too late and fall. All because you literally cannot see your own feet and aim your jump at the same time. Be prepared to fall to your death pretty much nonstop.

But no, seriously... This is literally a game about running, with some jumping in between, and very limited amounts of shooting. Actual running in real life is more satisfying than playing this game.

1. Mastering the game's in-body platforming is an urgent thrill, beaten down less violently here under the auspices of our old friends keyboard and mouse, and stands out from the homogenised interfaces of modern first-person and platform games.
  2. The beautiful visuals look even better on the PC and the controls are smart and responsive. There are some flaws, though, in particular the short play time, some stiff level design and the overall potential for frustration. But if you manage to go with the flow, you will find Mirror's Edge to be a thrilling and unique gaming experience.
    While its elegant controls, visuals and audio weave a dreamlike tapestry that its animated cut-scenes do their best to eat away at, the whole is an experience you'd be remiss to let fly by if you missed it on consoles.