7.3

1. Jun 3, 2014
    After reading so many bad reviews, I started to think I had just pre-ordered a flop. But once I started playing, I got pulled into it's great story and fun game-play elements. It's not quite an open-world game, yet it's not linear either. It's kind of like L.A. Noire meets The Longest Journey: Dreamfall. The game isn't perfect, but it's the best game experience I've had this year andAfter reading so many bad reviews, I started to think I had just pre-ordered a flop. But once I started playing, I got pulled into it's great story and fun game-play elements. It's not quite an open-world game, yet it's not linear either. It's kind of like L.A. Noire meets The Longest Journey: Dreamfall. The game isn't perfect, but it's the best game experience I've had this year and that's all I care about. Expand
  2. Feb 9, 2015
    Ultimately flawed, this is an entertaining game that was worth a bargain bin price. Game makers should be encouraged to try new ideas and this was a very unique game concept. However it wasn't a triple-A experience. Basically it's an easter egg hunt in a spooky environment with some asinine demon fighting. It's a slow-burner for sure, but has an interesting story enough to persuade meUltimately flawed, this is an entertaining game that was worth a bargain bin price. Game makers should be encouraged to try new ideas and this was a very unique game concept. However it wasn't a triple-A experience. Basically it's an easter egg hunt in a spooky environment with some asinine demon fighting. It's a slow-burner for sure, but has an interesting story enough to persuade me to see it to the end. But I'm glad I'm done. Expand
  3. Feb 18, 2015
    A fine Murder mystery game that will have you wondering "who done it" until the end. A good story, decent graphics, and great voice acting made my playthrough surprisingly enjoyable Unfortunately it tries a bit too much to appeal to the casual audience by adding combat which isn't good at all and some relatively pointless mechanics like zooming and sprinting. There are also a plethora ofA fine Murder mystery game that will have you wondering "who done it" until the end. A good story, decent graphics, and great voice acting made my playthrough surprisingly enjoyable Unfortunately it tries a bit too much to appeal to the casual audience by adding combat which isn't good at all and some relatively pointless mechanics like zooming and sprinting. There are also a plethora of performance and other issues but none that I found to be game breaking; just minor annoyances. My biggest gripe is how short the game is. You can easily finish it in 4 hours or less and they try to add time by packing the game full of collectibles so you can learn the backstory to the game. If you enjoy story based games, playing a detective, and can get it on the cheap end, then i'd recommend picking it up. Expand
  4. Jul 31, 2014
    A decent interactive story with most of the 'gameplay' taking place in your own head. The controls are simplistic and the majority of the game involved wandering around looking for clues or moving through the levels avoiding demons. By no means is this a great game, however it is an entertaining story and a stepping stone for potential improvements to a genre lacking titles in recent years.
  5. Apr 4, 2015
    Murdered: Soul Suspect had much hype before its release, and that is a possible explanation for the negativity it got eventually on the reviews, as this game didn't really deliver what it claimed to be.
    Still, all in all, this is a nice attempt which I actually quite enjoyed and if the developers wouldn't have promised so much they couldn't deliver, I'd even say wholeheartedly that Murdered:SS doesn't deserve all those low scores.

Now let's see.... Graphics- were pretty awesome. Not the best you'll find around I guess, but they were nice to watch. Not too demanding on the machine and yet aesthetic and pleasent enough. There was also a good amount of details in the different locations in the game fitting well to the environment (graveyard, museum, old mansion etc..). 710 for me folks.

Music&sounds-for such a cinematic game, you'd expect some epic score. Well, that's not exactly the case. The soundtrack of the game felt very lacking, and while I always puts special attention to music in video games, here the music mostly never grabbed my attention. And while the little soundtrack there was didn't sound bad, It was simply repetitive, not memorable, and didn't really contribute much to the game. 410, sadly.

Story & settings - No matter how much a video-game is mediocre (or not), for me, a good story can always save it from being a complete disaster. Here, I enjoyed the story, but then again, it wasn't something too incredible or memorable. I did really like the main characters, though, thought the voice acting was usually pretty good. If you look for the collectibles in-game you get a lot of background-story about the town Salem (in which the story occurs) and about the main hero of the game - Ronan. I found those bits of information to be pretty interesting and a nice addition to the game&story.
    The main story in general, is still somewhat mediocre. Towards the middle of the game there's some sort of a twist and then it gets pretty obvious and predictable until the ending, which, unfortunately, is falling flat. Really, it almost ruined the entire experience for me. 510 - mainly because of the ending (which had a potential but just wasn't done food enough!)

Gameplay - and now we're getting to the meat. The gameplay, which many would find here mediocre as well. Murdered is mainly an adventure game, and it plays much like one. The entire game is built as various investigations you'd have to solve in order to proceed. You may also collect many collectibles which lie around and serve as 'side quests'. It's nice, easy to understand, 'catchy', and sometimes (only sometimes) you have to really open your eyes and pay attention to find all the clues. Which is nice. Unfortunately the whole section of deducting and processong your clues is rather easy and unchallanging.
    There are also some (not many) 'action' sequences where you musy hide from demons and sneak on them... Which is very repetitive, unchallanging, usually not fun and just a waste of time. Seems like the developers just tried to force some stealth into the game. Not cool! 610

In short- a game which looks alright and plays just fine, and suffers from too much unmet-expectations, a somewhat predictable story (which I did enjoy but I know that many would find mediocre and even weak!), and not much length.
    If you're not the kind of person which would hunt down all collectibles and details about the story, you'll meet an easy, short, unchallanging experience which is not necessarily satisfying.

Adventure lovers - don't get me wrong - you may find many moments of joy in this game, like I did.
    There are still some very well-done aspects of the story, in my opinion. Without the disappointing ending I would give this game a 7 and not a 6 (based on my experience, at least)
  6. Jun 21, 2016
    A game without much game.

This is essentially an interactive story. And interactive in a way that you just can't get it wrong. You are murdered detective trying to solve the mystery of your own death in a little town called Salem. So let's start with the story itself then. It's a descent story as best. It's nothing spectacular, has some twists but it does not make you hold your
    A game without much game.

So let's start with the story itself then. It's a descent story as best. It's nothing spectacular, has some twists but it does not make you hold your breath. You don't specially feel attached to the main character and the narration is clunky at times.

The graphics, the voice acting and general quality is really good. Shame that the whole game falls short on the rest.

The game mechanics are rather boring and come down to connecting clues with each other to progress the story. But getting them wrong does not cause any fail state of the game, and the overall success is never displayed somewhere at the end of the game. The other part of the game that forced some interaction was getting past demons, which could only be killed by QTE if you managed to get behind them. This part of the game felt annoying and tedious but happened so rarely you can't complain much.

The whole game forces you to follow one single path, and there is no room for exploration. Really linear experience.

The game is fairly short - around 10 hours and that's quite enough.

Would I recommend it - probably not - though I did get through it and did not felt forced to do so. If you're ok in treating it as a story then you might like it. If you want a game - look somewhere else.
  7. May 13, 2016
    Ronan is a criminal-turned-cop who is killed by the mysterious Bell Killer. Playing as Ronan's ghost, investigate a series of crime scenes (sometimes with the help of teenage medium Joy), searching for identity of the killer. Many supernatural elements come into play – ghosts, witches, demons – and some flashbacks of the witch trials are pretty gruesome (drowning, burning, hanging).

As

As the investigation progresses, you'll explore a graveyard, an apartment house, an old mansion, a police station and of course the obligatory asylum level. While the game world is small, it is open, with the ability to just wander around the town of Salem. It's a gloomy place – the game occurs entirely at night – but is well-dotted with NPCs and collectibles. Obtaining collectibles can unlock other stories (usually brief, narrated cut-scenes), and some NPCs will provide side-missions. There's a decent amount of stuff to do, but most collectibles were easily found as I explored the town or a level.

Investigations require exploring a a crime scene, finding evidence (“Press E to analyze”) and sorting through the collected evidence (“Press Q to conclude the investigation”). Walking (or later, teleporting) around as a ghost feels fun; Ronan can walk through walls, possess people (mind-reading), and turn on random stuff to mess with the townsfolk (poltergeisting). Especially cool were the impenetrable “ghost walls” from past times that can block Ronan from exploring – or even provide new hazards (watch out for the ghost train!). Oh, and you can possess cats, too. This is actually crucial to progress through several stages of the game.

The demon sections, though, dragged the experience down a bit. Demons will sometimes spawn after completing an investigation. Their existence does have a crucial part to play, and they're easy enough to defeat with a little patience. Given that this is a supernatural tale, it would be rather weird if demons of some kind weren't in the game, and having some stealth sections added some variety to the gameplay. But after a while the demons became annoying distractions from the story.

And the narrative is where Murdered: Soul Suspect stands strongest. There is a lot of backstory to be found about Ronan and his wife (via collectibles). Sometimes collectibles in games are merely annoying, but they are worth pursuing here. Jason Brooks (as Ronan) and Cassidy Lehrman (as the medium, Joy) provide stand-out vocal performances. The graphics (Unreal 3) are great – murky and dark. Jason Graves' score provides a classic horror-story undertone. Murdered: Soul Suspect is a well-crafted detective game with a few quirks that holds its story aloft as its best attribute.
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    A first impression here. It's not bad as some of the review sites out there might want you to believe. It's and adventure game, think LA Noire without the action and driving. It's a slower paced game where you'll have to look around for clues to solve puzzles to move to the next area, so if you're looking for an action FPS or something like that, it probably won't be for you. It's a goodA first impression here. It's not bad as some of the review sites out there might want you to believe. It's and adventure game, think LA Noire without the action and driving. It's a slower paced game where you'll have to look around for clues to solve puzzles to move to the next area, so if you're looking for an action FPS or something like that, it probably won't be for you. It's a good looking game with better graphics than watchdogs that I picked up last week, and has alot of graphics settings to play with, runs smooth on ultra/high on my HD 7870, although the frames per second seem to be locked to 30. I'd give it a 7 out of ten, it is kind of pricey though for what it is, but would definitely recommend it at say $25. Expand
  9. Jun 3, 2014
    I write this after about 4 hours of gameplay. (And I apologize for the layout but, dear god, why does Metacritic have such a grudge against paragraphs?)
    Question: Is this game worthy of your attention?
    Short answer: If you're dying for a cheap LA Noir-esque fix with some sneaking and spooooooooooky...ish theme, yes; otherwise, no, not really. Long answer: Murdered: Soul Suspect is an
    Question: Is this game worthy of your attention?
    Long answer: Murdered: Soul Suspect is an investigative puzzle game with a ghost theme and some sneak-murder gameplay that reminds me of how I used to play Splinter Cell and Dishonored. As the title suggests, the protagonist has been murdered and is now looking to stop his murderer, a serial killer, all the while fending off demons.
    First of all, PC port talk: The graphics options are okay, detailed enough to tailor them to your machine. On a GTX 470 AMP and an i5 QuadCore, I had no performance issues on the highest settings. You shouldn't expect a game that oozes graphical fidelity, though; it looks okay but it won't blow your mind. What will blow your mind are the controls - They are bad. I mean, REALLY bad. While the main menu responds reasonably to mouse control and the game itself at least tolerates it, the ingame menu (which you need to check a lot for the clues and collectibles you find) treats the mouse like the unholy offspring of Satan and Kim Kardashian. It will fight you tooth and nail every step of the way, so don't even try and just use the keyboard to navigate the menu (which features one of the weirdest [non-rebindable] control patterns I've ever seen). Bottomline: Graphics options solid, controls abysmal. A controller is not needed but highly recommended.
    Now for the actual story and game: As mentioned before, you play a murder victim (who happens to be a cop) and try to find your murderer, a serial killer, before you can make your way into paradise; along the way, you collect whatever clues and collectibles you can get your ethereal hands on in the semi-open world that is Salem, Massachusetts. Actually, even semi-open is pushing it - Apart from a select few side missions and secrets/flavor collectibles that give some insight into the protagonist's backstory, there is nothing to actually keep you busy when you're not looking for clues or backstabbing demons.
    Yes, you heard right - The game has demon backstabbing, hiding from demons, demon distraction and death through demons. Does that make it sound boring? Good, cause that's what it is. The demons are nothing but temporary nuisances that you can usually get rid of right when you enter a demon-infested area before you move on to the exploring and collectible-/clue-hunting part. Since they only leave their fixed paths to follow the cries of spirit crows (you heard right) or to suck the soul out of you (and not in the good way), that doesn't exactly pose a challenge as of 4 hours into the game.
    Are the collectibles worth the hunting? The answer is a clear... meh. Voice acting, story and writing are not the worst I've ever seen, yet... Well, I didn't think I'd ever say that but I found Wolfenstein: The New Order's efforts at immersion and story-telling A LOT more convincing than Murdered's. That's not to say that Murdered is downright terrible at it but for a game that tries fairly hard to make you care and wonder and hunger for an answer, it falls a couple miles short of achieving that. The main character barely even pauses for what I'd say would be an obligatory: "HOLY **** **** I'M DEAD! AND MAN, THE SPIRIT WORLD IS CREEPY!" The story doesn't have any humor worth mentioning in it (apart from a few creepy instances that I, cynical man that I am, found pretty funny) but doesn't have a strong enough atmosphere to actually back up how serious it takes itself. The result is a try-hard attempt that turned me off more and more the longer it went on.
    So, is the investigation any good? Well... It's okay. The premise in and of itself is not the worst for this kind of game. It is cool to look for clues for how this person or that died. The game does limit you a lot, though - You know how many clues there are from the start, you know exactly where they are... There is a lot more handholding going on than in LA Noir but the main ingredient for LA Noir's success is missing - The interaction with suspects and witnesses. Murdered is a puzzle game based on exploration - Find the pieces, pick the most important ones and you're done. Some parts of it feel lackluster (for example when you see the identical twin of this NPC standing next to them), some a little rushed, some like there just wasn't put enough thought into them.
    So, would I recommend this game? The answer is, yet again: Meh. For those of us who absolutely need to feel like police detectives and who really dig Patrick Swayze and Whoopy Goldberg, this game could be worth looking into; but if you can control these urges (or only suffer from one of them), I'd recommend visiting your doctor and picking up LA Noir and "Ghost" respectively.
  10. Jun 3, 2014
    The game is an great twist on an old school point and click adventure story. At times it stumbles and has no re-play value, but as a weekend rental, you could do a lot worse.
  11. Jun 4, 2014
    An amazing third person quest/adventure game. Technically the game is just fine - nothing spectacular as it uses quite old Unreal Engine 3 and last-gen graphics is something you will see here. Still, the visuals in the game are great - because of spectacular level design, map details and overall style. Characters have deep personalities, and even linear dialogs are very professionallyAn amazing third person quest/adventure game. Technically the game is just fine - nothing spectacular as it uses quite old Unreal Engine 3 and last-gen graphics is something you will see here. Still, the visuals in the game are great - because of spectacular level design, map details and overall style. Characters have deep personalities, and even linear dialogs are very professionally written and immersive. The storyline is interesting and far from trivial, and the gameplay involves a little bit of action and a lot of satisfying exploration and scene investigation, where maybe you do not need to think a lot - this is by far not a hardcore quest - but you will certainly find yourself diving into the drama. I really enjoy the game, it's crafted very well. Expand
  12. Jun 6, 2014
    Not nearly as bad as you've been led to believe. The price is steep for what the game actually is. First person shooter campaigns last longer. I approached this game as a long interactive movie and i was not let down. The big wigs of game reviews will tell you to skip this game, and a lot of people will. But if you're curious or generally interested in the game... Give it a shot.Not nearly as bad as you've been led to believe. The price is steep for what the game actually is. First person shooter campaigns last longer. I approached this game as a long interactive movie and i was not let down. The big wigs of game reviews will tell you to skip this game, and a lot of people will. But if you're curious or generally interested in the game... Give it a shot. Especially if you catch it on sale. Expand
  13. Jun 5, 2014
    There are some very valid criticism of this game, 1) It is not particularly hard and 2) The "stealth" element is.. I would go as far as to say pathetic. The parts that involve possessing a cat is also breathtakingly poor in terms of animation and controls. Nevertheless, the demons and "stealth" factor could've been removed completely from the game and not been missed at all. This game isThere are some very valid criticism of this game, 1) It is not particularly hard and 2) The "stealth" element is.. I would go as far as to say pathetic. The parts that involve possessing a cat is also breathtakingly poor in terms of animation and controls. Nevertheless, the demons and "stealth" factor could've been removed completely from the game and not been missed at all. This game is all about the story and the people you meet and whether you bother investing time into solving their issues. The graphics is decent, the audio is quite good. I mean, it's actually a quite pleasant experience and doesn't deserve a measly 57 by the "professional" reviewers. (I put that in quotation marks on purpose...)

My verdict? It's a 6.5 on my scale, and I always round upwards so it makes a fairly weak 7 on the metascale. With a little smarter design this game could have been a true gem, like swapping the demon hassle with something a little more constructive.
  14. Jun 3, 2014
    Very atmospheric game with an interesting story, not a masterpiece 10/10, but play nice and interesting. Very affordable price for the game in STEAM.
    Buy, play and enjoy.
  15. Jun 8, 2014
    It's a quite entertaining game. Story is interesting, gameplay is good and diversified albeit it's different from the usual as you can't shoot or grab anything but instead walk through most walls, teleport, possess people and animals and use your "poltergeist powers" to activate office equipment and TVs. The detective work is akin to L.A. Noire, but fairly easy. Fighting mechnics areIt's a quite entertaining game. Story is interesting, gameplay is good and diversified albeit it's different from the usual as you can't shoot or grab anything but instead walk through most walls, teleport, possess people and animals and use your "poltergeist powers" to activate office equipment and TVs. The detective work is akin to L.A. Noire, but fairly easy. Fighting mechnics are completely different to the usual and can be annoying sometimes, but I think they're working ok and can be thrilling especially if you screw up your first approach. Grafics and sounds are adequate, performance is very good and I haven't encountered any crashes or bugs.
    Negatives: 1) Keyboard layout can't be configured (sorry for the lefties) 2) It's sometimes hard to find the spot you need to look so the action key works 3) Some places are rather confusing so you can get lost easily and fail to find your way to continue the "quest" (there's no "mini-map") 4) The final encounter is a rather annoying trial and error (luckily, it's short) 5) The clues you need to get in the detective missions are sometimes very hard to find 6) The game is rather short (7 hours incl. side-missions and I didn't rush it)
  16. Jun 12, 2014
    Great story, Great Acting, Great characters. A truly must play if your a fan of the genre.

Those were the pros and now cons and why it didn't get a 10 from me: Menu would freeze and the only fix I could find is to exit the game and reenter, thus making me avoid the menu (nothing game breaking, and nothing a patch should fix) and thus I never read the "collectables" that I picked up

Those were the pros and now cons and why it didn't get a 10 from me:
    Menu would freeze and the only fix I could find is to exit the game and reenter, thus making me avoid the menu (nothing game breaking, and nothing a patch should fix) and thus I never read the "collectables" that I picked up (well, not all of em) As for the "collectables" they make you feel like a garbage man picking up all those papers and what not, like seriously, it is as though they ran out of space to put all those things . . . my advise - ignore the collectables in your 1st playthrough. Also of note, do not collect too fast, the "picking up" doesn't register if you pick things too quickly up one after the other.

Maybe a bit more depth as to why I enjoyed the game:
    I loved how the game never looses momentum from start to finish, you are gripped by the story. Demons to me were a bit annoying, but maybe others will enjoy the distraction or "action" - whatever you want to call it. I loved the lost ghost you helped and loved talking to lost ghosts and why they ended where they are . . . wouldn't complain if there were more of these in the game. The characters are really well defined and the conversations are true to who they are. Not once in this game did I feel bored, but I did skip being the collecting garbage man though - so guess that would depend on how you play in this regard. Some places they could have improved, but you cannot please everyone with everything.
  17. Jun 10, 2014
    I think the critics have hit this one a little too hard.
    The only thing they are right about is that the game does appear to be a bit on the short side, though there is a fair bit of work to do, it's disappointing that you'll finish it in a day - if you have nothing else to do that is.
    I think the critics have hit this one a little too hard.
    I think it's a beautifully crafted game, with - for once, because they don't come often - a good, solid and logical plot worth following, with a few twists in the tale. This game deserves more credit than it was given. It's almost a shame they didn't make it so it could have a sequel - perhaps a longer one too!
  18. Jun 16, 2014
    Удивительная игра который должен пройти каждый кому нравится жанр детектива. Здесь присутствует удивительная атмосфера, герои которым хочется сопереживать, достаточно неплохой геймплей (хотя порой становится скучно в очередной раз убивать призраков, которые не вызывают какой либо опасности). Если вы любитель шутеров под тип CoD или Battlefield и ничего другого вам не нравится, это игра васУдивительная игра который должен пройти каждый кому нравится жанр детектива. Здесь присутствует удивительная атмосфера, герои которым хочется сопереживать, достаточно неплохой геймплей (хотя порой становится скучно в очередной раз убивать призраков, которые не вызывают какой либо опасности). Если вы любитель шутеров под тип CoD или Battlefield и ничего другого вам не нравится, это игра вас также не заинтересует. Expand
  19. xag
    Jun 9, 2014
    A great supernatural 3D graphic adventure (with some action). Good story, graphics (very funny to go through walls and people), voices, sound effectrs and music. A lot amusing extras as secondary cases, Ronan's memories, etc. A good option to spend time. Don't pay much attention to the unfair critics from "specialized media".
  20. Jun 8, 2014
    Dont know whats the problem with critics, seems like everyone trying to let this game down, and giving 10/10 for crack dogs.
    I am currently playing this game and looks quite good and well designed. At least they have tried something new.
  21. Jun 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was really sad that games like crap dogs getting 10 out of 10 by the critics and this fantastic game has been criticized by all the major game websites.Let me get this straight , you will be getting a semi open world game with beautiful graphics ,good story and a really cool game play (unlike pressing q to hack...).How much could you ask from a game? Expand
  22. Jun 3, 2014
    Mediocre adventure game at best. Besides few nice touches everything fells generic.
    The setting is kinda fun - modern detective investigation with some paranormal-horror twist.
    Graphics are decent, better than in most adventure games that came out on pc and voiceover is good. While the story is interesting, everything in between of the in-game cinematics falls short. Basically you'll
    Basically you'll spend most of the time looking for hidden items/collectibles, some connected to
    side quests and some to item/collectible collections. Sometimes descriptions on these items will give
    feedback about the world, but usually they're absolutely useless and not even informative.

There is a puzzle here and there, but rewards for side quests and being observant are almost
    non-existent (at best 10-15 sec cinematic/memory/vision).
    Oh and there are around 8 npc models apart from story characters,so you'll see them over and over.

The game is ambitious but fails to deliver.
  23. Jun 4, 2014
    Video games are evolving in the only way they can to keep entertaining new audiences, turning into a mix between game and movie or TV series. Telltale Games is showing how cinematic tales can be done with excellent results as David Cage's Quantic Dream has also been doing for a long time (unfortunately not for the PC crowd, nowadays). Soul Suspect might not have the appeal of a David CageVideo games are evolving in the only way they can to keep entertaining new audiences, turning into a mix between game and movie or TV series. Telltale Games is showing how cinematic tales can be done with excellent results as David Cage's Quantic Dream has also been doing for a long time (unfortunately not for the PC crowd, nowadays). Soul Suspect might not have the appeal of a David Cage or Telltale game or even LA Noire (with which it has more in common), but it deserves full credit for trying to live up to its expectations. I don't know how long the story is, but the only shortcoming I might find is a short campaign. Everything else is as it should be expected to be. The fixation of some hardcore PC gamers with the pure gameplay (in fact a fancy word that means no more than hand/ finger movements over the keyboard and mouse) versus everything else is turning the PC into a retro machine in a time when it should be expanding a multimedia performance. Well, leave it to the consoles. One of these days Steam will have to reinvent itself and stop the retro rampage, to save the PC. Again. Expand
  24. Jun 7, 2014
    Great game with some issues. Graphics are great, voice acting is good, story is good (the name of the town is Salem, hmm what could it possibly be about), the game works fine and yes its longer than 4hr. The game has a lot of stuff to collect and I recommend you get all the items to complete those ghost stories because they are just GREAT and also talk to all the ghosts some of them haveGreat game with some issues. Graphics are great, voice acting is good, story is good (the name of the town is Salem, hmm what could it possibly be about), the game works fine and yes its longer than 4hr. The game has a lot of stuff to collect and I recommend you get all the items to complete those ghost stories because they are just GREAT and also talk to all the ghosts some of them have pretty f***** up stories to tell (like the butcher, that was just sick hahahahaha). Now for the bad things. There are these demons introduced in the game whose only purpose is to waste your time, the game would of been better without them. I didn't like the final confrontation because I died a dozen times since game wasn't clear as what to do. Every time there is a cutscene my mouse pointer would show in the middle of the screen (I was using a gamepad) and that was annoying. You can not skip the intro and why do I have to press start in order to get into the main menu, its pointless, the same thing when I want to quit I can't go to desktop directly I quit then press start and then press quit again (huge number of games have this same issues, so annoying). What you have to understand is that this is a supernatural murder mystery game (basically adventure game), so if you are looking for action you are in the wrong place. If you liked this game and want more stuff like this I recommend Cognition (also a great game). Expand
  25. Jun 5, 2015
    SCORE: 6.8/10

I'm recommending at sale price. For five dollars, it's worth a play through in 6-7 hours. It is a decent story, better than a decent amount of stuff on TV. Nice twists, good ending. Not spectacular, but pretty good. Graphics are also decent. No Ethan Carter or The Witcher 3, but pretty good. The voice acting is also solid. I've seen worse b-movies for sure.
    SCORE: 6.8/10

Graphics are also decent. No Ethan Carter or The Witcher 3, but pretty good.

The voice acting is also solid. I've seen worse b-movies for sure.

That is kind of this game. Solid, but certainly not spectacular. A fun little romp that is the perfect length for it's story. It doesn't overstay its welcome but I definitely wouldn't replay it either.
  26. Jun 9, 2014
    How to say that and not to repeat myself? Well, what a pleasant surprise!

This game is a mixture of L.A. Noire, Alan Wake and Heavy Rain, but it took only the good from them. If you are a fan of adventure, stealth, detective and mysterious games, this one is exactly what you look for. This game has great story, quite original plot twist, brilliant and believable characters and more
    How to say that and not to repeat myself? Well, what a pleasant surprise!

This game has great story, quite original plot twist, brilliant and believable characters and more than satisfying ending. Plus, graphics is eye-candy, music and sounds are anxious and the atmosphere is exactly how you would imagine in game like this.
    I finish this game almost in one turn and I enjoyed that since the beginning till the very end.

Unfortunatelly, although this game is long enough for this kind of game-play, the replay-ability is probably a no-no as it is common for the most of story-driven games. Even if you are a collector freak, you will probably not get over 12 hours of game-play. So it is up to you if it is worth of 40 euros .
    Also, this is just another fast-cooked PC port, and even I haven't faced any technical issues like crashes, glitches and bugs, inability to remap your keys is a crime against humanity in 21. century - I strongly suggest game-pad.
    Last but not least, this game is not for everyone - if you are an action-oriented player, this is not for you. The pace is slow and it requires focus on details to solve the investigations. For someone like me it is an advantage, for others it can be a disadvantage.

But for me, along with Wolfenstein New Order, this is another big "YES" this year.
  27. Jun 26, 2014
    If you are a left handed user like the reviewer Galneryus and wish to play this on pc then don't bother unless you happen to have a keyboard which is customizable or a "gaming keyboard" which isn't for typing. The ones that consist of only the basic keys used in gaming, little bigger than a mouse. Alternatively you could probably just use a gaming remote, but I'll concede that there isIf you are a left handed user like the reviewer Galneryus and wish to play this on pc then don't bother unless you happen to have a keyboard which is customizable or a "gaming keyboard" which isn't for typing. The ones that consist of only the basic keys used in gaming, little bigger than a mouse. Alternatively you could probably just use a gaming remote, but I'll concede that there is nothing like the haptic feedback and crisp click of a key. Razor makes at least two of these "gaming keyboards" which only have enough keys for gaming, and the keys are fully programmable. It's an expensive solution, but gaming computers are not the cheap route to start with.
    The real problem with this game is that it was obviously made for nostalgia sake. It does little to advance a genre which all but died out in the 90's. Albeit it for the worst of reasons. The nail in the adventure game coffin was Grim Fandango, which ironically enough was game of the year and remains the gold standard of adventure gaming. What happened was graphics cards bundled fps games which inherently required more on the fly gpu processing to play. Which is the glaring design error of this game as well. The reliance on an engine designed specifically for fps games. When the game is so prescripted you don't need to rely so heavily on physics for more than ambiance. What's more the CRYENGINE would have given them more bang for their computational buck, as graphic scaling is certainly an issue when delving into multiplatform gaming and we are all tired of looking at unreal. everything made with it looks alike. It's one of those games that's going to pretty much look the same on no matter what platform you play it on, so pc isn't necessarily your best option.
    Still it beats the new Tex Murphy game in gameplay and lack of over the top nostalgia, but it's not what it promises to be anymore than LA Noire was. It doesn't break ground. The plot isn't even all that original. It's a modern version of scapeghost and some other games I vaguely recollect.
    This game is short enough to justify renting over buying, unless you happen to share a computer with your girlfriend or it's halfprice on steam. A large part of the problem may simple be that all modern game engines are geared towards first person shooters, due to that industry drive which started with games like half life and thief. Wrong tools for the job? With an engine designed for less on the fly action you could fit a lot more effect and style or even outright realism into a game like this. Instead of using an engine designed for the on the fly tossing of hand grenades into water. The unreal engine is the greenscreen of video games. It's spottable, often corny and sometimes more of a hindrance than anything else. It's the same problem I have with directx vs opengl in many instances. Bad graphics really take your head out of the game.
  28. Sep 20, 2014
    Summary: Murdered: Soul Suspect is a supernatural thriller blended expertly with a gritty detective story. You won't see a lot of action here, but if you would love to take part in unraveling a very well-written story with great characters and entertaining crime-scene investigation mechanics that are neither irrationally obscure nor insultingly obvious then you won't regret letting yourSummary: Murdered: Soul Suspect is a supernatural thriller blended expertly with a gritty detective story. You won't see a lot of action here, but if you would love to take part in unraveling a very well-written story with great characters and entertaining crime-scene investigation mechanics that are neither irrationally obscure nor insultingly obvious then you won't regret letting your trigger finger relax for a few hours while you try to solve the mystery of your own brutal murder.

w helpful
    Recommended
    21.6 hrs on record

Hours of fun: 8 hours (full game + best extras)
    Suggested Retail Value: $20
    Graphics: 8/10
    Voice-acting: 9/10
    Music/SFX: 10/10
    Uniqueness: 8/10
    First Play-through Experience: 10/10
    Replay Value: 4/10

Murdered: Soul Suspect is not an action game. You'll never draw a gun let alone have a shoot out. You won't be pushing blocks to solve puzzles. You won't be leveling up, gaining new equipment, or trying to decide how you want your character to develop as the story plays out. You won't make decisions that change the plot.

I think those are the simple truths that turn a lot of people away, and I can understand how this game is an utter disappointment to anyone who came into it with any of those goals. But if you're looking for something else, something outside of that all-too-common list, then read on.

You play the part of a ghostly detective with nifty abilities that make movement through the world and interacting with technology, the living and the dead all very interesting and in ways that come together to present a style of play wholly unique to the game.
    You'll move through the world in a largely linear fashion, and while exploration will play a key role in progressing through the very well-written narrative it's in seeing that dark, gritty, supernatural detective story unfold that the player truly becomes invested. Or Not. That's the dividing line really. Are you here for the story? If not, you probably won't even finish the game.

The characters will draw you in, and even the "collection" elements of the game (of which there are admittedly many) are used more like pieces of a puzzle that, once finished, have their own enthralling stories to tell. Did you find every ghostly rifle at one location? Well be prepared to hear an audio telling of a great ghost story tied to it. You'll also collect things that are sort of memory remnants: objects and places that enable you to witness the memories and stories of interesting people (your friends and family included) and feel the world come alive even as you draw ever closer to understanding exactly what is going on in the small town of Salem.

The central mechanic of the game is you move around in the scenes with a careful eye for clues, and when you feel you're ready you use the clues you've found (you don't need them all and quite a few are "red herrings) you choose to "solve the crime scene". The visual and auditory cues for each scene's clues are apparent and make sense, though sometimes it can be a little too easy given that if you're a pace away from them and looking in their direction you get a sort of "press button to select it" prompt. Some of the puzzles could have used some less obvious "red herrings" as you'll seldom struggle to answer the questions before your three strikes are up (each scene gives you 3 chances to correctly).

A few samples (without spoilers) of the questions that will need answering:
    - How did they die?
    - Who is responsible for event X?
    - Who is withholding secrets and why?
    - Where did they go?
    - Who do they know?
    - What is missing?
    - Why were they there?

A rushed play through of the main story would take about 5 or 6 hours, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice as a lot of the story is told via discovery of the very well-done collectables. Those wanting to see the whole plot unfold will be looking at roughly 8 or 9 hours. The good news is that's also the same time as a completionist run because, again, they've cleverly tied each collectable to an interesting story, either the main plot or a well written aside.

The game's got a great gritty detective movie atmosphere, a well-written plot, and really establishes the mood of a supernatural thriller. If you like story-driven games, appreciate mystery and logical investigation puzzles, and want to see better developed characters than you'd get in most run-of-the-mill action shooters, then you'll most likely enjoy your time spent playing this game.
  29. Aug 16, 2014
    It's a very good game.

It has a dark and mystic atmosphere, with beautiful graphics, and some really exciting features (such as walking through walls, or reading others thoughts). I know, its not much for a full price game in 2014, but hey, i like it anyway. I just like it...
  30. Oct 16, 2014
    Si te gustan los juegos estilo NOIR, recomendado, si te gustan los juegos de detectives recomendado, si te gustan los juegos con muchos logros Recomendados, si te gustan los juegos dificiles no lo juegues no presenta gran dificultad, pero si te gustan las historias envolventes con una trama firme y con personajes carismaticos 100% recomendable.
    Algunos contras, el juego es muy caro para
    Algunos contras, el juego es muy caro para lo que dura, y que no tiene rejugabilidad alguna una vez entras al ultimo jefe por asi decirlo no puedes hacer mas que derrotarlo una y otra vez asi que recomiendo que saquen todas las cosas antes de terminar el juego o tendran que volver a jugarlo desde un principio como yo lo voy a tener que hacer.
    En si mi nota seria de 1 a 10 un 7.9 por los dilemas presentados antes... Ojala hicieran una pelicula del juego porque creo que brillaria con mas esplendor

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Sep 3, 2014
    The game gets an A for effort, but unfortunately the same can't be said of the core gameplay mechanics, which are dull and repetitive. The storyline is engaging, but other than that there's not much to write home about. [Aug 2014]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 25, 2014
    The triple-A presentation is hindered by monotonous gameplay, stilted PC controls and stupid action bits. [Issue#244]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Jul 30, 2014
    A less than successful attempt at what could have been a novel concept. [Aug 2014, p.57]