8.3

1. May 7, 2011
    Myst III is a wonderful game, and extremely true to the series' puzzle game mechanic. As usual, fairly descent acting from Rand Miller as Atrus, and a surprise in Brad Dourif (who played Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings) as the exile. I won't get into too much detail, since whatever in this game isn't story is plot, but you will once again find yourself solving all sorts of puzzles involving light, kinematics, power and energy, and a paradise. The only real complaint I have is that the 360 degree camera is a little disconcerting at first, especially after the immobile camera of Myst and Riven: The Sequel to Myst. But you get used to it pretty fast and I soon appreciated the full range of motion it gives.

By the way, I think the entire Myst series is very underrated and extremely under-played. I would definitely recommend the entire series to any casual puzzle gamer.
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    Although it's quite a short game at around 6 hours or so, even then it feels like the substance is spread too thinly, so that there is a lasting impression of tedium.

The art is very nice and the graphics still hold up okay in 2013.

The story is nice, though the exposition is rather clumsy most of your interaction with the main character comes through rather unconvincing journal
    entries scattered around the game. It's a bit melodramatic, too, though in a charming kind of way. By far the highlight of the story are the multiple endings, and the clever way that they work.

The game play lets the game down. When the puzzles are clearly designed, they are usually obvious, and solving them is just a matter of going through the motions, which is often tedious. When they are not clear, they can be very frustrating. The game often seems to use trial and error as a crutch one level in particular seems to consist virtually entirely in wandering around a confusing environment, clicking random items until one of them does something. I was stuck for a very long time at the very end of this level because the 'solution' to the puzzle involved randomly performing an action with a completely unrelated and unpredictable consequence. Out of the entire game, I'd say there were only three or so puzzles which were truly novel, well-designed, and enjoyable.

Overall, I'd say check the game out if you like the look of it, but don't hesitate to look up a solution when you feel really lost, because it's likely a trivial thing which is the designer's fault rather than your own.
  3. Mar 2, 2013
    Graphics are blurry, puzzle bits are spread around (so wandering around writing everything you see down is necessary to solve pretty much every puzzle).

So a step back from Riven, but still very enjoyable.

1. You could not ask for more but the bottom line will be that this is a slow moving adventure game and will possibly appeal only and primarily to avid ‘adventure’ gamers!
  2. If "Riven" was impressive, this is extraordinary. The images are smooth and crisp and detailed. Clouds look like clouds, rock looks hard, water is fluid and deep, and sharp looks like it would hurt.
  3. If stunning, real-time rendered visuals and significantly improved functionality are any evidence, the third time is indeed the charm.