7.2

1. Feb 14, 2014
    This game sets out to make you feel alone and it keeps it promise.
    On an emotional level this game really delivers.

At first you explore simple yet confined level structures that very soon give way to absolutely monumental feeling set pieces that will have you in awe.
    The art style is in itself consistent and works very well, especially when paired with the rather excellent audio
    design. This visual and acoustic experience seems to always matche perfectly.
    The game really manages to deliver a wide range of experiences and emotions, from feeling lost in a huge and fascinating world to adrenaline pumping action sequences and solving the occasional puzzle, it does it all very well.

The one thing I especially enjoyed is the at times very clever level design. While being a linear game with areas for you to explore it never feels like it is linear. In fact, I could swear I was making my way through at random or at being driven by interesting set pieces.

Don't however expect much of a story. Not in the traditional sense anyways. Whatever happened or happens is up to your imagination. That is a good thing though.

All in all, if you're looking for a game that will take you on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster ride while making you feel small, forgotten and alone, then play it.

The thing that stayed most with me is the level design. Simply brilliant.
  2. Feb 13, 2014
    This game is super artsy. And there's no textures. That might throw some people off. Also, there isn't really much plot, or any objective other than to move forwards. There's a little bit of puzzling, and a little bit of platforming, and a whole lot of wandering around through the beautifully designed and expansive monolithic structures. I'm only a few hours in, and this game already has accomplished what it sets out to do: I'm terrified, exhilarated, and I feel horribly alone. I have the sinking feeling that there's no one else and I'm trapped alone in this richly detailed world to wander by myself. The whole world feels timeless and massive, and the environmental interactions by the character make me feel as if I'm being toyed with by some higher being. While this isn't the most compelling game, and might consist of too much walking for some, this game is chillingly beautiful and conjures the most alien sense of isolation I have ever experienced. The lighting and shadows are also pure art. One of the better indie games I have played recently. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2014
    It's much less breathtaking than it looks. The puzzles, at least during the first hour or so which was all I could endure, involve pressing light switches to move floating light sources around that make certain platforms appear and disappear. At first it looks like a clever mechanic like Closure (but in 3D), but it's really just switches. In HUGE levels, with no particular idea of where you're supposed to be going or why. It isn't open exploration, there's a linear route - and it's just intentionally not marked out well, or indeed at all. It's like: if I crawl through this little space here and jump over these boxes I'm in the "next" area, which is much like the last one except the boxes are a different way round. The gigantic scale looks good, but it's dull to wander round it. Another game that had this problem was EYE: Divine Cybermancy - if you've played the particular couple of maps in that with vast outdoor areas that take five minutes to walk across but have nothing to interact with or particularly look at on the way, that's pretty much NaissanceE. Only, without anything to do at the end of the long walk, or anything to look at on the way other than grey boxes.

Another puzzle that annoyed me early on involved navigating down a big grey "lift shaft" type thing by hopping from ledge to ledge (long drops kill you forcing a return to the last save), and the puzzle is that the only available light source slowly drifts up and down the middle of the "lift shaft" so that you have to wait 30 seconds between each jump. I hate it when games make things difficult in the game that would be easy if you were physically there - and in this case could feel for the sheer drops at the edges of the ledges.

I'm being really down on this game. It does have a moody, mysterious atmosphere going for it. But probably so would Halo if you removed the plot and replaced all the scenery with grey boxes and put a sort of pixelly filter over the front of everything. And it could well have profound spiritual revelations waiting further into the game, about loneliness, or whether anything means anything... but I just have a creeping suspicion that I could get the same revelations by walking around a shopping mall at night wearing dark glasses. They seem to be patching it lots, and it's a genuine indie not a cynical cash-in, I could just have done with more freedom to get lost walking round a huge grey building, the linearity at the start was a huge disappointment. Back to Anti-Chamber for me!
  4. Feb 17, 2014
    This game is a huge recommend. It's an amazing journey through a massive structure which feels of some alien design. Environmental navigation and puzzles are very satisfying within the artsi and surreal, shades of grey pallet. Becomes a true test of mouse and keyboard prowess in the later stages. A true PC gamers must play.
  5. Mar 4, 2014
    The player starts the game lost and confused. However, quite early, the character reaches a place where the game opens up and reveals its real face. The structures, in my opinion very influenced by Lovecraft and 'cyclopean' architecture, work to create giant spaces, bottomless pits and huge structures that make an acrophobic such as me experience the game in a very different (panicky) way.
    Outwith scenes apart, the physical puzzles inside use the player's reflexes and speed as well as their wits and puzzle-solving skills to move forward. This offers a pause in the exploration and 'admiring' of the gigantic outside vistas.
    As the game progresses it adopts a more surreal tone, which, in my opinion, goes perfectly well with the whole Lovecraftian feel the game has for me. The last chapters truly amaze and surprise you as you get nearer to the end. Truly a surprising and refreshing experience.
  6. Feb 19, 2014
    For fans of creativity Tsutomu Nihei this game - a real gift! For the rest - a mix of Journey, Stanley Parable and Pink Floyd. Game about architecture and loneliness with a stunning musical accompaniment
  7. Feb 15, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic game. The vistas are breathtaking at times and downright frightening and confusing at others. I had particular impressions of the style of BLAME! at times. At others, another great game, Kairo came to mind. The overall tone is not a happy one, so beware. Loneliness and confusion bordering on madness are the overarching theme.

The choices the game sometimes
    throws at you are also very satisfying despite their ambiguity and certainly warrant at least a second playthrough. There are puzzles, there is platforming and there even are eastereggs and traps.

The sound design is also brilliant, with a constant ambient soundtrack that perfectly compliments the scenery.

The only negative points I have to mention are the sometimes questionably spaced checkpoints during hectic platforming parts. This is manageable though, if a bit frustrating.
    Also, I felt the game could overall have done with a bit more puzzling and a bit less platforming.

But those are minor gripes and do not take away from an, in my opinion, resounding success.
  8. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is absolutely breathtaking and really changes the meaning of a regular PC game.

You have no idea who you are and where you are. You just know that you have to run!

Although lacking an actual storyline, this manages to captivate you and let you get immersed into it's weird block world. At first it starts out with a simple and relaxed pace and you feel like it's gonna be one
    of those "Run and Enjoy" games. But the intensity begins building up exponentionally that towards the end you don't know where your head is! It's an exhilarating and thrilling journey.

The music is pure genius and in my opinion makes up half the game's worth! It perfectly matches each setting you encounter in the game, using strange avant-garde sounds and electronic alien-like instruments, which at certain points of the game gave me chills all over.

The graphics are so simple and yet manage to create amazing and beautiful worlds. A real treat for the eyes.

Therefore, I can honestly say this is one of the best games I've played in years. It's something completely new. It's a game which seems to have no point at first, but in the end you have to pick up your jaw from the floor and wonder what the hell you just played. It is truly a work of art.
  9. Feb 14, 2014
    even though i like the general idea, naissancee felt from time to time like being back in a minecraft cave. you know, a tunnel and the search for an exit deep in a mountain. that particular type of games which feel unfinished imo. i hope it is not another beginner interactive art project because it feels like gameplay and game design are secondary here, not mentioning the feeling that some levels or puzzles are unfinished Expand
  10. Jul 9, 2014
    Unbelievable game that will never cease to amaze and overwhelm you. Recommended to anyone who likes puzzles, beautiful game worlds, and tense gameplay.
  11. Apr 25, 2014
    3 words "absolutely **** breathtaking" ^_^
    nothing else to say but since the review must be at least 150 characters long, i could say it kind of reminded me of portal 2, Chapter 6 "The Fall" in portal 2, where you are all alone in the abandoned old version of Aperture Science labs.... that was epic.... this little game multiplies this feeling by a 1000 times.
    i felt so small , more than
    I already am, so i gave it 10/10.
    Great atmosphere.

1. Jun 28, 2014
    If the game makes you think about Journey, Mirror’s Edge and Antichamber, it must be great, right? Right? RIGHT?! [CD-Action 05/2014, p.71]
  2. Apr 18, 2014
    A maze for all those virtual tourists and spelunkers, who have deadly desire to find out what is at the end of an alienated underworld city that may constantly surprise you. For instance, with its jumping over platforms, which may be a very unnerving experience.
  3. NaissancE is a beautiful game, but without much direction it can feel like a never ending mire of running, jumping, and falling. That being said, is the game worth spending $20 on? Certainly.