5.2

1. JonG.
    Nov 16, 2003
    I had long anticipated EA's return to NASCAR for the pc because i had loved Nascar 2000 and frankly was sort of frustrated with the Papyrus games. But when i dished out the 40 bucks to buy this thing, I was disappointed. The biggest shock, to me, was that there was no create-a-car like i had done in PS2. This game is very bare bones.
  2. JonG.
  3. JonG.
  4. MichaelW.
    Dec 18, 2002
    Longtime Papyrus NASCAR Players will HATE this game. While the addition of Daytona and many long forgotten drivers will stir any true NASCAR fan, this NASCAR sim's shortcomings are many and significant. Among the shortcomings are: (1) truly sporadic MS Sidewinder (Wheel) FF & FX; (2) Extremely ltd access to garage necessities for car set-up; (3) Counterintuitive replay interface; (4) Longtime Papyrus NASCAR Players will HATE this game. While the addition of Daytona and many long forgotten drivers will stir any true NASCAR fan, this NASCAR sim's shortcomings are many and significant. Among the shortcomings are: (1) truly sporadic MS Sidewinder (Wheel) FF & FX; (2) Extremely ltd access to garage necessities for car set-up; (3) Counterintuitive replay interface; (4) No Paint Shop to make a personal car; (5) Useless hot menu items (who needs Pit Menu Up, Pit Menu Down, Pit Menu Increase, and Pit Menu Decrease to take up 4 slots? Papyrus did a MUCH better job here); (6) TOTAL Lack of spotter and lap time info (Papyrus did a MUCH Better job here too); (7) Requirement to install GameSpy to run the game was intrusive; (8) Inconsistent pit arrivals and work; (9) Why would ANYONE EVER use a hot key to toggle the mirror on and off?.....Does anyone else drive with a mirror other than me???; (10) Mirror is not 180 degrees, one is left to depend on nonexistent spotter info; (11) Why is there a "look Behind" hotkey?...NASCAR Drivers can't turn their heads to that angle; (12) Constant Saving of replays during normal menu operation is time-consuming and quite irritating; (13) The ability to change current setups and test without saving is equally irritating; (14) replay time begins when the session is selected, not begun (takes alot of hard drive space and replay time to watch an empty pit box while one does garage work); (15) IMHO, this thing just stinks; NASCAR 4 was much easier to use, more entertaining, and more intuitive. Conclusion: This is a game for folks that like trying to get MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel and Pedals to work and enjoy the elation of getting the hardware to function more than playing the software. Expand
  5. TonyD.
    Feb 23, 2003
    Cannot create paint schemes. Car set-up requires an actual crew chief. It sounds like the consol version would be much more fun. Console version has MORE options than the pc version. Wonder why that is.

1. A sub-par lite simulation racing game that tries to be much more, but ends up falling smack on it’s ass at every attempt.
  2. Computer Gaming World
    A solid racing game that still pales in comparison to Papyrus' "NASCAR Racing 2002." [Feb 2003, p.92]
  3. Seriously stripped down compared with its console cousins, and it doesn't have enough PC-specific features to make up for what boils down to a sparse and unentertaining racing experience.