8.4

1. Oct 31, 2012
    Can be fun but seems horridly unbalanced. For being a game that doesn't have the epic action, expanse and visuals of Battlefield 3 and other games like it, it sure requires a lot more power to run. The game seems to have the optimization of an alpha build and runs like complete garbage. Constant crashes and frame lag destroys what could be a pretty fun experience.
  2. Nov 10, 2012
    Bad design choices, bad performance, bad movement mechanics. A downgrade from Natural Selection 1 for sure. A disappointement after preordering back in May 2009.
  3. Jan 13, 2013
    This is to help balance out the falsely positive reviews. Probably won't help much, but truth is this suffers what all FPS/RTS hybrids suffer: Mediocre gameplay all round. Not good at anything, forgettable at the least and annoying quite often. Bad interface, gameplay balance, hitreg, basically everything that should have been done right for an RTS or FPS hasn't been done proper in this hybrid game. Expand
  4. Jan 2, 2013
    I applaud the effort put into making this game, and the risk the developers took starting a new company and going with some new ideas. I didn't play NS1 Half Life mod, so I was turned on to this game by a friend. As soon as he said "FPS/RTS combo" I was sold. It really is a neat concept, but it is very poorly executed. On the surface, it seems like this should be a game of possibilities: the two sides being different, the team play, the RTS/FPS combo effect, the individual purchases and group upgrades. The end result, unfortunately, is a game of limitations. You will spend most of the game using either an ineffective assault rifle or spamming the space bar, trying not to lose proper perspective while biting. There is little variety in what you are allowed to do and the few things you can do you will not really spend much time using. Marines die quickly, so purchased weapons will be lost, aliens get greater variety but it isn't much to speak of. The levels are all the same, a function of the aliens being only melee, which gets stale quickly. The RTS as commander is a bit hard to get used to but solid once you figure it out. However, commanders don't get too many options for things to do. The game is very rigid in the build/research paths and there isn't a lot you can really do to customize the force available. With aliens you get a bit more than marines, but you can't really follow a research tree to anything unique or amazing. All in all, the limitations on what is available, and with the high prices of evolving/buying coupled with the short lifespan inherent in corridor combat games makes it a pretty unremarkable experience. Expand
  5. Nov 30, 2012
    The game is pretty fun for a little while definitely well built, but I uninstalled after about 20 hours of game play due to the sole reason that balancing was apparently done for tournament play. As a casual gamer I expected to lose on the pub servers, but when over 3 days playing as a marine (which I enjoyed better than aliens) I managed to win only 1 game barely due to the fact that the teams were stacked is a pretty good indicator that this is nothing but an exercise in frustration.

For a multiplayer game such poor balancing for casual gaming is inexcusable and the community will probably die in the upcoming months. If you are looking for a game that will last you a while there really is nothing here.
  6. Jan 26, 2013
    Natural Selection was a fantastic modification for Half-Life, albeit imbalanced in some aspects. I remember when first word of NS2 started to circulate. Then small teasers appeared. NS2 looks great, but it's a shame it has strayed from NS in almost every way. The balance is horrible. The new system with Marines having personal resources is, to be blunt, stupid. This takes away any sort of leverage the commander had to get people to follow orders instead of going CoD-style. The weapons for the Marines is a joke, the only viable weapon is the starting weapon. The shotgun and grenade launcher has been gimped. Skulk is laughable. Fade is ruined. Onos is simply too much. Long story short, NS2 has appearance, the rest is horrible. Word of advice from an NS beta vet, download NS and forget about NS2. NS2 is horrible. Expand
  7. Mar 8, 2013
    Unless all the fanboys, I see that game with different eyes. The most upsetting part of this game is the still existing unbalance between the Marines and the Aliens. Most of the time the Aliens win the Mid/Late game, because they have their Über-Unit (Onos) that stomps everything in the ground. So that game is fun for a shot time on the Aliens-Side, but after they get their Über-Unit it's getting quite boring and lacks in long time motivation. Collapse
  8. Jun 29, 2013
    Game lured me to it by combining rts and fps elements and what seemed as asymmetric fps experience. However the sides in this game are "balanced" the way that turns aliens vs marine combat into quake combat, where everyone is very fast moving, bunnyhopes around and spam their attacks. Athmoshpere gets lost in exchange for e-sport quakish combat.
  9. Jul 1, 2013
    I think the idea of the of the game is good.
    I bought the game to have a nice multi player experience. Then i realized that there is no real tutorial or something like that. You can watch thousends of vids if you have the time but honestly i dont.
    The next problem was to find a server to play on i found five servers with a good ping and people on it. Thats nothing for a multiplayer
    based game especially if its only half a year old.
    Another nice thing about the game is its community. it was my first game and i got kicked because i had a negative kd about 1/6 even if i played on a server called noob server or something like that.
    But the greatest thing about this game is that is full of cheaters or totally unbalenced. every game has that one or two guys with 50kills and 0deaths after 10min thats GREAT isnt it?
    I do NOT recommend buying or playing this game .

Btw the graphics are not even bad for pc only title and the i dont want to talk about the AI in the bot games
  10. May 15, 2014
    Any game that doesn't even start gets a zero in my book, because that is how much fun I got out of it. I feel bad for the guy who gifted it to me, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    I've been playing Natural Selection since it was a mod for HL way back in 2002. I was there for first beta, the content additions, the constant nerfing and rebalancing where each patch lowered the quality of the gameplay (one step forward, two steps back, like most MMOs or games focused on tournament/elite level play), the insulting community which included the mod makers themselves (a nastier group of people you'll be hard pressed to find, even the wider MOBA community isn't as bad), and the slow grind down from "great but poorly balanced mod that everyone loves to play" to "semi-balanced tournament mod, hated by all except the few elites that still play it". I pre-ordered NS2 (two copies) and then have had nothing but bad experience after bad experience since release. NS2 has one of the worst communities in gaming history, the engine is not optimized AT ALL (runs terrible, loads terrible, regardless of hardware), the gameplay itself is horribly unbalanced unless every player in the game is elite (one single bad or newbie player can ruin any game in minutes), and worst of all almost nobody is playing the game so you're stuck with the same group of elite losers every single time you play. Thus, Natural Selection 2 is indeed a natural progression from where NS1 left off: It's got slightly better balance than NS1 had after all the patches, but it's the kind of balance where it is ONLY balanced when everyone is a pro, otherwise the game isn't even worth playing at all because nobody is playing NS or NS2 anymore unless they've been faithfully playing since release and newbies are instantly kicked even if they're trying. I got sick of the community more than the game to be honest, because you can't have one without the other in a game like NS/NS2 where your experience is 100% dependent on the people you play with. The fact that nobody plays NS or NS2 anymore speaks volumes about the series in general and where it is heading: Nowhere, and slowly. If a 12 year veteran (first beta of NS was Halloween, 2002, back when I was still at University) hates a series that is totally hostile to newbies, how can it survive? Obvious answer is obvious. Enjoy your elite circlejerk losers, and thanks for turning so many people off kickstarter games and the Natural Selection franchise in general. Expand
  12. Aug 5, 2013
    I don't get how people can actually play this game. It's completely unbalanced and it has very poor performances. The learning curve is not steep... it's a reinforced brick wall.
  13. Dec 3, 2013
    It wasn't pleasant to me! To servers it isn't connected, hangs, it is long loaded, all this takes off also for 500! rubles in steam? Battlefield 3 on ultra goes, and natural selection 2 and on averages takes off!
  14. Mar 8, 2013

1. Jun 10, 2013
    Certainly not for newcomers in the genre; but it’s a blast for hardcore gamers that crave for action instead of the classic FPS mechanics and want matches that last something between a Counter-Strike and Battlefield 3 battle. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 15, 2013
    Natural Selection 2 is unquestionably a unique title, but its bar to entry is incredibly high for the average FPS player. For the hardcore strategist, it has its appeal, but its complexity severely limits the enjoyment in matches that aren’t significantly populated by experts at the game.
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    I am sure Natural Selection 2 will gather a group of devoted fans. After all it’s a good, surprisingly original game. [CD-Action 02/2013, p.50]