NBA 2K14 PC

4.8

1. Oct 1, 2013
    I PLAY THIS WITH AN XBOX CONTROLLER:

I PLAY THIS WITH AN XBOX CONTROLLER:

Get ready to learn some new controls because that's precisely what your first few hours into this game is going to be, and they aren't even that good. Basically the first problem you will find in this title is the fact that the pro stick and the shooting stick are basically read at the same time, so in other words when you want to shoot you will do some kind of move, but when you want to spin or eurostep into the paint, the player will just stupidly shoot over the head of the defender. that's right, if you push the right stick to the right or left, it's still read as a shot, and the player will shoot regardless. You can't even remove or create the button layout from 2k13 (b,b spin, b,x hopstep, x,x eurostep, etc.) The game's not all bad, but you can tell right off the bat that the focus for 2K was for the games that will be releasing for the next gen consoles, as there really is nothing new here. MYPlayer has a glamorous new menu screen and the simming is quicker to help get you back on the court, so that's a plus for those MyPlayer gamers out there. Also when you are subbed in, you can now see a sit rep of the person you will be matched up against, his ratings in specific areas (inside scoring, outside scoring, post D, perimeter D, etc.) as well as stats he has on you currently in the game. This is a nice new sight so you aren't just walking in blind anymore. You can now block dunks and easily get rid of those pesky point guards who try to show boat in the paint, so enjoy. This goes to another problem though, the ball. The ball is the strangest thing in the game, it bounces weird, and can virtually be bounced around a defender on a pass. The ball just doesn't look right, especially on passes. AI is still pretty shotty, as they will at times lock down your guys and other times just let you disrespect them with little to no resistance. Word of warning, you plan on getting the next gen games, just wait for 2k14 on that. If you're not, I would say you have about a 60% chance of liking it.
  2. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is nothing new to the franchise (at least on the PC version). Its the same as last years but let me tell you the small changes. Dribbling and movement seems to feel a bit different and harder. Also, there is the roster update of course. I never owned 2k13 on the pc and I wanted that experience. On the xbox 360 2k13 there is no difference in that version than the "new" one on PC.This game is nothing new to the franchise (at least on the PC version). Its the same as last years but let me tell you the small changes. Dribbling and movement seems to feel a bit different and harder. Also, there is the roster update of course. I never owned 2k13 on the pc and I wanted that experience. On the xbox 360 2k13 there is no difference in that version than the "new" one on PC. I believe that one might even be better in some aspects. PC's are supposed to be more powerful than consoles but this port seems to just be held back so that we don't get to see what 2K has in store for the next-gen version. Really pathetic of the company to do so. It isn't a bad game just not worth your time or money if you already own the previous ones Expand
  3. Oct 17, 2013
    Although there haven't been too many changes or improvements to NBA 2K14, it's still a good game and better than last years.

Defence in general has improved quite a bit, last year I found blocking to be near enough impossible, various clipping issues would occur where the hand went through the ball yet it would be a dunk still, so far I haven't noticed that this year and have been able to block multiple times in a game. Stealing the ball has also improved a bit, not so many reach in fouls if you time it right, which I feel is an improvement from last year.

Some of the controls have changed a little bit, shooting and dribbling are now all on the Right Stick without the use of a modifier, it takes a bit of getting used to but once I got the hang of it I much preferred it to the previous controls.

The AI isn't that different from last year, still makes some dumb mistakes now and then like waiting to shoot while an opposing player is running towards him, rather than shooting first time with an open shot.

Some of the menu's have changed, such as on MyCareer, not a massive change but it's nice and shows a bit more information than before.

Overall it's not massively different to NBA 2k14, but the improvements are nice, if you like playing NBA then it's worth getting, just don't expect massive changes.
  4. Nov 7, 2013
    While it isn't a BAD game by any means, it isn't great either. What really makes me mad is my PC version is just a port (and a bad one at that) of the PS3/360 Version. The PS4 is getting it's own custom version with a custom engine, and my PC's specs blow the PS4 away.. Yet I can't get a decent looking game on my PC? That's lazy, 2K, and you should be ashamed. The pro stick feelsWhile it isn't a BAD game by any means, it isn't great either. What really makes me mad is my PC version is just a port (and a bad one at that) of the PS3/360 Version. The PS4 is getting it's own custom version with a custom engine, and my PC's specs blow the PS4 away.. Yet I can't get a decent looking game on my PC? That's lazy, 2K, and you should be ashamed. The pro stick feels sloppy, and I enjoy actually having it "off" more. Expand
  5. Jul 24, 2014
    The last basketball game for me to play was NBA Live '03, and the last one before that was NBA Live '98. I have very fond memories of them, particularly '98. I heard that the NBA Live series suck nowadays, so i decided to check out the 2K series.

While it doesn't have the magic of the old games, it's still pretty good. It's challenging without being frustrating, the commentary and soundtrack and game modes are all good as well.

However, being that we're in 2014, i did expect better graphics than this. They're not awful; still, something quite better could've been accomplished.

It's entertaining enough. And it will be more so with a gamepad. Playing this with a mouse and keyboard will be limiting.
  6. Mar 26, 2016
    I´ve found the games and the scenes very realistic. The presentation was well made. I remarked even some typical moves by the players in the game. The career modus is great and very motivating to play more. Unfortunately a NBA saison is too long: 80 games + playoffs. If you are idealistic and wants to play every game, it takes too long time. Otherwise the gameplay is complex and you needI´ve found the games and the scenes very realistic. The presentation was well made. I remarked even some typical moves by the players in the game. The career modus is great and very motivating to play more. Unfortunately a NBA saison is too long: 80 games + playoffs. If you are idealistic and wants to play every game, it takes too long time. Otherwise the gameplay is complex and you need a long time to get to know every move.
    What is negative? You can see the console origin, especially in the navigation in the menus. Very circumstantial. The font is simply too big + no free saving. The graphics is good, but not more. In the game there are a lot of advertisement o_O very annoying. And there are some bugs, that killed my save file.
  7. Dec 24, 2013
    It's still good game, but it makes me mad how poor pc fans are treated. Why some features are available only for concoles?! Not worth 6$... untill we get full game.
  8. Dec 28, 2013
    Overall, I'd say this game does not deserve the low score it is receiving. The game play is solid, and the game modes are fun. As long as you have a controller for your pc, you should enjoy yourself. However, the reason I'm giving a lower score, is because of the bad porting. The graphics are terrible (when compared to the console versions), and the controls for the keyboard are just unusable.
  9. May 27, 2014
    If you really want to enjoy this game, use controllers not keyboard. Graphic is good, physx same, players seems realistic , crowd of fans still sucks and my player career is hard. I discovered some glitches but nothing terrible. This game (and games like nhl, fifa etc.) are so much better on consoles. In one sentence: If you like nba you will like this game, but do not expect it will be asIf you really want to enjoy this game, use controllers not keyboard. Graphic is good, physx same, players seems realistic , crowd of fans still sucks and my player career is hard. I discovered some glitches but nothing terrible. This game (and games like nhl, fifa etc.) are so much better on consoles. In one sentence: If you like nba you will like this game, but do not expect it will be as good on pc as good on consoles. Expand
  10. Oct 1, 2013
    Purely a roster update, and no fixes from last year's bugs. Please don't give 2K your money, they don't deserve it. No texture updates, game looks like it is from the beginning of this generation instead of at the end. My Player mode yet again pits you against people who are on average 10 or more points overall better than you, the game will dock you points for your teammate mistakes.Purely a roster update, and no fixes from last year's bugs. Please don't give 2K your money, they don't deserve it. No texture updates, game looks like it is from the beginning of this generation instead of at the end. My Player mode yet again pits you against people who are on average 10 or more points overall better than you, the game will dock you points for your teammate mistakes. This game is closer to NBA Jam than the NBA. Collapse
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    NBA 2K14 is generally speaking excellent, but you get a feeling that major improvements are being saved over to NBA 2K15. [Nov 2013]
  2. Nov 8, 2013
    But that aside, NBA 2K14 continues to do the main things right when it comes to a basketball game.